Designers » A » Oriental Floral « Groups

Persian Wood Avon for women

Persian Wood Avon for women
dislike

Persian Wood Avon for women Pictures Persian Wood Avon for women Pictures

Persian Wood blends notes of precious woods, oriental spices, and exotic flowers of Persian gardens. Persian Wood was launched in 1956.

Spices Oriental notes Woody Notes Exotic floral notes

Persian Wood Fragrance Reviews

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

I have the 1.5 oz cologne splash in a clear flask shaped bottle with gold on white scroll-like design print.. I'm thinking it is a men's version by the opening smell, but i'm not sure if they made a mens.

Opening smells like a man's cologne but once the alchol wears off it warms up to a nice woody, spicy slightly musk scent that as a woman I dont have any problem wearing.

StarMagix
StarMagix

I have a tiny little bit left in my bottle but it is in a clear bottle so the smell has faded somewhat. I have had my bottle since the '70's so no doubt it has faded some. I use to love this perfume so much! It is still one of my very fave of the older Avon scents and I wish they would bring it back with it's 1st. formula. There are so many older scents I wish Avon would replay but.... for some reason Avon is keeping their best scents in retirement! If you can find a bottle of Persian Wood that is still fresh, try it for yourself. You will be happy you did.

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

I found this pretty little bottle at a thrift store in a bargain bin. I remembered it from the '60's, (as a teenager), that it was one of my favorite Avon's. The surprise is it's still potent even as a EDC. I don't know how long this bottle has been around but it has a soft woody, lightly floral scent that is comforting and spicy without being overpowering. Now if I could just find some of that perfume oil
AND..I just checked out the style of the bottle and it looks like it could be from the '50's..I can't believe it still smells good..makes me wonder how good it used to be..

I unearthed some half ounce bottles of the 1979 formulation (EdC), but haven't tried any other. There isn't much of a wood note to speak of for quite some time. Instead, it's a bit "skunky" but in a smooth way. It's rather blended but not "blob"-like. Clearly there are floral notes (including "dirty" jasmine), some kind of spice, and mild musk and amber. It takes a couple hours or more before the wood is clearly present, but at that time it dominates, and also dries the scent out, changing its texture. There may be other woods in here but the sandalwood used seems quite good, quality-wise. This is a bit better in terms of longevity than I would expect from an EdC but definitely not EdP strength. Next time I intend to use more to see if the wood note comes out earlier in the development, so I'll post back when I do that.

Persian Wood has been discontinued for ages but Avon did a reissue of this as a limited edition cologne in the 90's. That is the bottle I have, as well as a tiny bottle of pure perfume oil which I think is from the 1960's. The 90's cologne opens up just gorgeous - woods, spices, flowers - all balanced beautifully. The perfume oil opens up stronger, sharper and even woodier. As each develops, they become more and more alike, eventually smelling nearly identical. The oil may be a tad sweeter. The drydown smells like a wooden box that's been filled with spices and opened after the various notes have merged. The listing of notes here is a bit vague. I sense something animalic and almost feral, but it disappears when I smell up close. True to its name, Persian Wood is all about the wood. It's a sweet wood. Not a masculine wood, not even unisex. To me this is a purely feminine scent.

I think the animalic note I smell is not animalic at all. It's not civet. I think it might be an indolic flower, perhaps narcissus.

Beth1218
Beth1218

I have just scored a vintage bottle of Persian Wood off Ebay. It arrived today. It is so wondeful. It starts off warm and spicy. It reminds me of Cinnabar, Red Garter or Opium in that respect. But, then it drys down to a very soft, powdery, mellow scent. I love it! I have been collecting vintage perfumes lately. A lot of them have lost their initial appeal and are left with a stale or medicinal smell. This one is different. It's like a fine, bottle of wine. It get's better with age.

esteel
esteel

Bought this fragrance for my mother this 2012 christmas. My father passed away last january, this was the first perfume bottle my dad bought my mom which was in 1960. But through the years sometime it broke in her restroom after it fell off the shelf or whatever reason ..so as in memory of my father i started to look for this perfume everywhere to give surprise her with it on christmas...so then after about 2 weeks my fiancee stumbled across it on ebay. I Ended up paying 52.00 for it in an auction... I remember i put a max bid of 100.00...lol...i wanted to make sure i won it.. And it was in great shape practically new.. Included was its original box which was intact and still held the bottle inside great..although a bit worn but the flaws on it were minor..as for the bottle it still had the original avon serial sticker on the bottom of it..and it was nearly full.

cloyd42
cloyd42

Avon would get more respect if their perfumes were more consistent and as good as this one. A perfume lover I trust highly recommended this over a much snobbier and more expensive buy and was she right! I don't find a lot of spice in this but I find beautiful wood and a highly refined leather. There's a nice floral (seems to be a rather old fashioned rose) lurking in the background too. The wood has a cedar tang but I'm going to guess it's actually rosewood. In any case very grown up and well balanced. Subtle too--ideal for work or a close setting. Highly recommended.

Sillage--soft at arm's length
Persistence--okay
Fabulosity--a mai tai at sunset
Value to price ratio: excellent

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

The LOOONGING to try this one just grows stronger....

A Beautiful ad campaign from an era of quality Avon fragrances.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I am reviewing the fragrances from an Avon demonstration set from 1968 that mysteriously hasn't gone off.

Persian Wood was a big surprise. It has made me really reconsider early Avon fragrances. It opens with a fantastic animalic, resinous, leathery orange flower with a huge woody aromatic lift that reminds me of the opening of Bal a Versailles parfum. It veers off into a civet, incense, and sandalwood oriental in the mid notes with a minimal floral presence. In the end, it is a sweet and pretty sandalwood with a wisp of smoke and very subtle leathery nuances.

This fragrance remarkably doesn't suffer from the usual problems that Avon fragrances have, which is either being too unbalanced or too simple. This is simply good!

gazelle
gazelle

WOW! I wore this in high school and thought and felt sooo sophisticated. As I expected, Avon identifies such few notes I'm left wanting more info. For example, what comprises a bouquet of exotic flowers from a Persian garden? Perfume is my ticket to travel to those exotic Oriental markets, tropical paradises, cool green forests, water lily covered ponds, romantic eateries in expensive restaurants, VENICE... I'll never visit except in novels or travel programs on TV. I'm a dreamer and fragrance and Fragrantica sreviews are my passport. I hang on to every note and review. Sigh...

pfcs
pfcs

This was my Mother's scent when I was a little girl. It was so wonderful, from back in the days when Avon actually had quality perfumes that lasted. They should still be selling this.

Once when a lot of the family went out of town for a graduation, one of the Cajun in-law men told my mother a perfume like that would make a man want to climb the bedpost at night!

krmarich
krmarich

Wow! What a blast from the past! This was my grandmothers favorite in the 1950s. This recalls fashionable mothers at PTA meetings. Suburbia wouldnt be the same with "Avon Calling". Ding-dong. I didnt get a chance to sample it until last year.

I mostly picked up a dry dusty rose embedded in spices and woods-perhaps cedar and sandalwood. The wood shall remain a mystery. Its a well crafted composition that can be a bit harsh upon opening. Its austere heart seems linear. It is no frills elegance that is surprisingly contemporary by todays standards.

Everything old is new again...Its tricky to find a bottle on the internet, yet worth the hunt.

Persian Wood by Avon 4.47 out of 5 based on 36 ratings and 13 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Persian Wood fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Avon Persian Wood, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Persian Wood by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Persian Wood by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.