Designers » A » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Rare Rubies Avon for women
dislike

cinnamon
yellow floral

Rare Rubies by Avon is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Rare Rubies was launched in 1999. The fragrance features african orange flower, ylang-ylang, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, amber, musk and sandalwood.

African Orange flower Ylang-Ylang Coriander Ginger Cinnamon Nutmeg Amber Musk Sandalwood

Talisman

Rare Rubies Fragrance Reviews

freddinos
freddinos

Was quite lucky to find a set of Rare Rubies recently for very little money. And I say lucky not because I loved the perfume, but because I would have been very upsed had I paid the usually asked prices for it on the auction marketpace. All the notes, all the reviews, even the discussions on the forums were in my favor, I mean what could possibly go wrong? It is not by all means a horrible perfume, but to me it felt like a cheap replica of Cinnabar, Opium, Youth Dew and the like. It had a harsh chemical opening, and never got to feel 'one' wth my skin. I ended up giving it away. Haven't really found an Avon perfume to love yet,they all share a common chamical base that stops me from appreciating them.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

I had the wonderful fortune of experiencing this after smelling on paper at a thrift shop; a full bottle of the fan shaped top perfume. At first spray, I was caught off guard by the "Avon Blast" but I knew within seconds I had struck Rare Rubies for certain. This fragrance smells highly expensive. It is classy, elegant, exotic, unique, sexy, warm, spicy, amber-y, mysteriously divine. I tried a bit on my arm after the paper test and without even waiting for the dry-down knew I had just experienced one of the finest oriental frags I have ever smelled. Four full bottles of EDP in boxes for $5.99. I bought two before closing and will be waiting at the door to wipe out the rest first thing in the morning... and they are not for resell. Avon created a masterpiece with Rare Rubies. An oriental fragrance lover's 'add to collection immediately and never run out.' It is absolutely beautiful in every way.

Update - I made sure to haul out this morn to be there when the doors opened to grab the other bottles. As this masterful blend blooms and unfolds it only becomes more glorious. The cinnamon/cassia settles down and I detect a nice dose of fine myrrh (opoponax?) in deep amber along with other intriguing complexities. It is a true gem. My scent sensitive husband does not share my love for frags, especially my preference for unusual niche scents. Rare Rubies is hardly a niche frag, but is definitely far from ordinary. Extraordinarily opulent! Well done, Avon! Bring it back.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Rare Rubies is a people-pleaser perfume. There are certain fragrances I wear that evoke responses from the opposite sex. You can see it in their eyes. Their pupils dilate. They stare a little longer than they should. You can almost feel them inhaling you in. Rare Rubies is one of them.
With spicy notes of ginger, coriander and nutmeg, warmed by cinnamon, feathered by musk, tempered by amber and surrounded by sandalwood, Rare Rubies envelops itself around a person. This perfume radiates outward generously and that's ok, because its scent is lanquidly sexual. There are hidden thoughts that sit with these fumes-akin to the librarian with glasses fantasy. Is Rare Rubies naughty or nice? You determine the outcome.
This wonderful fragrance lasts for hours. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, but available on the secondary market,at flea markets and I do know some Avon dealers will track it down for their customers. Definitely worth trying.

Rachellawrence
Rachellawrence

I really love this perfume. Wish avon would bring it back. Sick of seeing it on eBay for far too much . Love the warm spicy notes in it, does last long aswel definitely worth investigating.

eirenelisa
eirenelisa

A lovely perfume, soft yet decadent. It has the right balance of blended flowers and musk to keep all the foody spices from smelling like baked goods. I love the hint of tart orange rind, the ginger ale fizziness and the feathery floral musk. It is like a satin quilt or a sweet strong hug from a beautiful friend.

ggkeller
ggkeller

Nope did not like but mostly I think cinnamon dosn't smell good. Which is a disappointment Cuz It smelled good in the bottle.

zeldaautumn
zeldaautumn

I was lucky to be able to get this on the re-release this winter, in a large star shaped bottle, with no spray, which is ok. Spicy yumminess, warm, velvety and I suppose it reminds me of Shalimar in a very distant way. All the spices blend very nicely giving a warm, cozy feeling. Cinnamon and Nutmeg are most noticeable to me. Great staying power.

rivet6
rivet6

Bought this in the 90s when it first came out.Loved it.I had the shower gel,lotion,perfume spray and the solid compact.Last Christmas I was happy to see that they had it in a star splash decanter.I poured it into a spray glass perfume bottle that I had put away.It is definitely a mature fragrance.Spicey,oriental,well lasting.Better than all the new fruit that's going around.Its about to come out again soon in a fancy splash decanter.I will have to order it before it disappears as before.

TheFeatheredDuchess
TheFeatheredDuchess

I was drawn to this scent by reviews that alluded to its spicy warmth and the predominance of cinnamon.
Sadly I was so disappointed that I sold my bottle within weeks of purchase.
There is a harsh sour note in this scent that overwhelms. To my nose it's a clumsy attempt to recreate the bitter almond and oriental spice aloofness of Samsara that falls flat on its face and smells more like a cheap synthetic cranberry. The kind of smell that you get from red coloured ice pops... Eeww!
I've only ever ditched two scents and this upset me so much I wanted off my dressing table pronto!
Each to their own I suppose.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Could not resist the allure of the star-shaped bottle in my Avon catalog; ordered a $10 bottle and it arrived last night. The box is very festive (bold red and gold abstract starburst), the fluid is pale pink, and the glass bottle is nice—heavy, spanning my palm in size, with a carved pattern in the glass along the arms of the star and a gold twist cap. This is not a spray top perfume, but an old fashioned decanter; unfortunately, the bottle will not stand on its own, which makes me concerned about leakage. We’ll see how that goes.

The perfume starts with a blast of….well….Avon. I don’t know how else to describe it; it’s a musky, aldehydic, bland alcoholic scent that I associated with most of Avon’s fragrances; and I enjoy many Avon scents. Fortunately, that fades rapidly and a mild, slightly spicy sandalwood musk appears. It is a powdery, understated fragrance, not as strong as I had anticipated—I saw the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and expected this to be a spicy diva. It’s not. It is musky and very powdery to my nose; it almost catches in the back of my throat, like a whiff of talcum powder taking my breath away. The musk is more of a white musk, and the sandalwood is demure. There is spice, but it’s not powerful or deep—it’s faded, like spices leftover from last Christmas in the back of the cupboard. It’s pleasant enough; I can’t imagine this fragrance offending anyone, nor does it inspire. I’m underwhelmed a little disappointed; it’s not the epitome of holiday cheer I had hoped it would be. If I need something understated, cozy and unassuming, this fragrance will work well; “like” but not “love”.

Edit: Well, this is enough of a "like" to warrant re-wearing and some extra sniffing--I've walked past my dresser and caught a whiff of this that caught me pleasantly off guard. It does still start off oddly, but it warms up and seems to last for 6+ hours. It think this could make a nice every day perfume for chilly months.

Edit x 2: So, I've worn this for 3 days in a row (a rare thing for me these days) and it is really growing on me. May have to amend my review to "love"!

rye
rye

I'm not a great fan of Avon perfumes but I couldn't resist the Limited Edition packaging of this one and the price was right.

Well, it was delivered and the bottle is big and cute with light lavender/pink perfume inside. No sprayer which is okay by me. I wish more perfumes came with a stopper so we could 'place' the scent on pulse points BUT of course then we would use less product and it would have to have better ingredients to ensure some silage. But I digress.

The scent itself: the first few seconds releases a blast of the traditional strong Avon alcohol smell and then, on myself, it quickly settled down to a cinnamon dominated spicy oriental, like a kinder, gentler and not quite as grand 'Obsession'. I love Obsession but those days of wearing it, for me, are over even as the memories linger on. Rare Rubies, on the other hand, is very wearable (a slight dab on the wrists) offering mature women of all ages a wonderful version of Christmas comfort and vintage glamour all rolled into one. A cozy evening by the fire with a chewy red wine or an evening out in a little black dress with those high red heels and lipstick to match! It has that dash of noire going on.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Wonderful scent!!! The only Rare of Avon's that I love. I think I love this perfume because it is not one ive smelled before this. I seek different scents always and many times i find the same types of scents time after time and I get tired of it really. So im happy with this scent as its not like any other out there that I have experienced.

ialwayssmellgood
ialwayssmellgood

Just got this today and it is a definite scrubber for me. Too strong and too masculine. Someone please take my bottle. Even the drydown is rough on my nose.
UPDATE:
Thank you in advance drugstore classics!!

Cairo Rose
Cairo Rose

My friend sells Avon and they have this in Limited Edition for Christmas 2012...!!! I just ordered a bottle!!! Hope it is as good as the reviews!!!

Christy2198

So excited Avon brought this back for christmas. I dont order from Avon, but I just texted my mom to see if she could order it for me from her seller. Im getting two bottles of this amazing cinn-spicy scent!

olgina

does anyone know if this perfume will come to my country in greece???? please avon bring it back! please!!! and lahana, soie rouge, floralique, starring, c'est moi, surreal, rare emeralds, prowl, sunny skies, josie, vanilla soft musk, peony soft musk, tasha, women of earth, imary, mesmerise, casbah, night musk, far away fantasy(i love this one). bring them all back!!!!!!!

Shadow_Witch
Shadow_Witch

I had never tested Rare Rubies when it was available in the catalogue. I received my What's New? with my last Avon order and ordered a demo of the star bottle (marketed as a spray, even the box says spray, but it is indeed a 50mL splash). I can't believe it. I agree with the reviewer below who stated it was "ahead of its time" because if this same fragrance were released by a high end house, it would fetch 10x the money and would be a best seller. On my skin it is reminiscent of the Maroccan spice mix Ras El Hanout. Complex and seamlessly blended with great longevity,I am smitten. Will definitely purchase backups my next order. If this version is a reformulation of the original, I don't know. The notes listed on the box are: rose, coriander, and amber, but that is just the short list for ad copy. All I know is that this fragrance is exactly the spicy oriental I've been looking for -and I am not usually fond of rose or amber. This is what I think Yves Rocher's Rose Ispahan aspired to be but missed the mark landing firmly in the cloying zone. Rare Rubies is warm, spicy, sophisticated and just plain feels good to wear. Perfect for a nippy, autumn day or night.

olgina

weii,this perfume by avon in my opinion is a legend. it is very special. some people would kill to have a bottle of this but some others hate it. for me iw perfect. i can't understand why avon discontinues the really good staff and keeps the garbage in the catalogue. it's a shame. perfumes like
-c'est moi
-sunny skies
-josie
-starring
-surreal
prowl and many many others have been discontinued.

joliecat
joliecat

This mixture of spices and florals opens with a scent like ginger-spiced sweet oranges . As time passes, the florals become more prominent. Spices remain soft, blended well throughout the sweet amber drydown.

Perfect scent for daytime...fresh, spicy, energizing, fun and bright.
Would be a great fragrance to wear in cold weather for holiday shopping trips and holiday parties.

Silage is moderate, not noffensive.
Longevity is very good...lasts all day.

Luckily, this year, Avon has brought back the original formula Rare Rubies in a limited edition, packaged in a new star-shaped glass bottle for the holidays. It's available now on Ebay for a VERY small price !

goldpoint
goldpoint

Avon USA will bring this and a few other discontinued perfumes back in a shape of a christmas star.If you like it,dont't miss that chance.

braddfatch
braddfatch

This was my favorite perfume and I was devo when they stopped making it. Why dose it never come back as old favorite as they sometimes do with other fragrances. It would be so nice to be able to have it back on the market again I bet it would be a great seller and avon could rake in a fortune. Why was it dicontinued???

debbie larmonie
debbie larmonie

PLEASSSS, PLEASSSS AVON BRING THIS PERFUME BACK,I MEAN SO MANY SPECIAL REQUESTS HAS BEEN MADE TO BRING THIS LOVELY PERFUME BACK ON YOUR LIST. WHY NOT CONSIDER IT TO GIVE IT A TRY OUT!!!!!

mjhowers
mjhowers

back when I first sold Avon I got this and every time I wore it I was asked what it was. It was warm, spicy, with hints of mid/base notes. I like cinamon is fragrance too so it was a winner for me. I hope they bring it back would defiantly stock up!

flahair2
flahair2

Avon did bring back one year, several oldies but Faves. I loved Hawiian White Ginger. I kept emailing Avon and telling anyone who sold it to please petition for a return. IT HAPPENED YAY! Im wondering if its time to do the same with Rare Rubies. I loved this one too and did score a metal compact with the cream perfume in it off ebay. I covet it LOL.

twillocks
twillocks

Wow, this is very spicy. I like though.

scenteena
scenteena

So happy I got the chance to try this cinnamon, oriental beauty back in 2000! Wore this to work one day and compliments galore greeted me at the door!! I vividly recall it being warm, rich, and sensual, with good lasting power to boot. Can a cinnamon infused frag get better than this? I don't think so. My only regret is opting for a purse-sized spray rather than a FB. Oh well, at least I did experience this spicy baby.

jason.leavitt3
jason.leavitt3

Rare Rubies has been discontinued by Avon and most likely will not be returning. For those who are buying it from "e-bay" or another 3rd party, it is probably not Rare Rubies that you are buying. Rare Rubies was discontinued around 2002. Avon now offers Rear Gold, Diamond, and pearl.

RavynG
RavynG

I loved this and Mesmerize for women. Is there anything that can replace Rare Rubies? I have tried most of the conventional spicy ones like Halston, Opium and some other "red" ones--can't thin of the names right now--it is late. But nothing has the unique florals and mild spice of RR. And I was told that the Rare Rubies that Avon continued to sell in the UK for a few years after it was discontinued in the US was a different formula.

Christy2198

The most lovely Avon sent ever. I remember spraying it on my wrist and breathing in the amazing spices.

This is warm and cozy, with a moderate dose of spice. It's one of the better fragrances from the "Rare" line from Avon, and a bit more sophisticated than their usual lineup. It's getting tougher all the time to get a bottle since it's been discontinued. This is perfect for wearing at night, especially in the fall or winter. I keep a small bottle in my rotation and consider it a treat when I wear it.

This one I may have a test vial somewhere, but I will have to go and look very hard to find it! But I MUST try to get me a real bottle!!

never was a fan of this. strong, pungent and the flowers just don't seem to mix well together. kind of a harsh/alcohol smell.

lllnotime
lllnotime

I absolutely love Rare Rubies and have used it for over ten years. Every time I wear it I receive the nicest compliments from sexy to Yummy. Sure makes me feel wonderful especially at age 60+ I am so disappointed that Avon discontinued it. Shame on them. They need to get rid of rare gold instead.Please bring it back!!!!!

THis is a beautiful fragrance - spicy, warm and lasts for ages. Really wish Avon would give it a reprieve.Bring it back for a year at least.

Lotofire
Lotofire

This was a gorgeous fragrance...sexy, warm,and expensive smelling...i keep wondering why avon always cuts good fragrances and keeps the garbage in the catalog.

AmandaK
AmandaK

I got this as a birthday present my junior year of high school. I loved the cinnamon spice scent. It also made for a great room spray.

guest_Andrea
guest_Andrea

If you like Rare Rubies, give Rare Sapphires a chance too. One of my favorite scents is Lily of the Valley and it rears it's beautiful head with this lovely too early retired parfum. AVON, BRING IT BACK!!!!!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

A cinnamon skin scent. Who knew it was possible? Avon Rare Rubies is a soft, sweet woody musk with a pronounced cinnamon note. Think Serge Lutens Rousse meets Barbara Bui and whispers softly in her ear. Oriental Spicy to be sure, but soft as kittens at the same time. Rubies stays close to the skin like and lingers all day long.

It's very un-Avon in its execution, if you're a person who still writes them off as cheap and common. I have had so many pleasant surprises from Avon scents in the last year that I'm no longer surprised when I find a good one from them! :-) They don't always get the credit they deserve, and Rubies is a perfect example. I think the scent was just a little ahead of its time, and as others have noted, it's a shame this one was discontinued. Rare Rubies was a very impressive scent that any perfume house should have been proud to offer.

enigma
enigma

Avon rare rubies is like gold dust, but now look on ebay......see a little red bottle on a white fluffy background....read the info.....and you will be pleasantly surprised!!!

Shalimar
Shalimar

To me, Rare Rubies smells like those little red candies called "Red Hots" which are kind of a spicy cinnamon flavor. It's not something that I wear a lot but occasionally it suits my mood.

Guest_Angel - I also just discovered Rare Sapphires and like you, I love it. Here is the information I found about it; "Rare Sapphires is a fragrance of citrus notes, dewfruit, lily of the valley combined with gardenia, cedarwood and vetiver." I can really smell the cedarwood and I just love it!

Kimmy2009
Kimmy2009

I have this perfume and to me it can be best described as horrid. It reminds me of insecticide, strong and overpowering and the smell it could kill a roach I swear.

I use mine to spray suits after I have worn them in an effort to reduce the smell of sweat.

guest_angel

OK, got my Rare Sapphires now - on first impression it's a very light floral, hard to distinguish specific notes though. I'm sure I can smell coconut in it, which is lovely!

It's very subtle, staying close to the skin, warm .... by far the 'quietest' of the Avon Rare range, would be good to wear during the day in the summer.

I'd love to know the notes in this one, if anyone finds them can you please post them here? Thanks.

guest_angel

Asipetitta, I've just obtained a bottle of Rare Sapphires on ebay, so I'll post a comment about it here when I've received it.

Wearing my Rare Rubies today because it's cold here - the spices seem to stay strong in this all the way through, I get ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg very strongly, but the ylang-ylang kicks in after a while and softens the spices beautifully.

guest_angel

Mondeo Girl, I've actually managed to get hold of a 15ml on ebay - hallelujah!! Oh my god it's just as amazing as I remembered, and absolutely perfect for winter. It's like walking around in a blanket of warm, spicy, comforting deliciousness. I think this might be my favourite scent of all time.

BRING IT BACK AVON!!

MondeoGirl

Absolutely GUEST_ANGEL - I wish Avon would bring it back even as a Christmas special. It was so warm, rich, fruity and sexy. My daughter has still not found another scent to compare but her runner up fave is Guerlain Insolence. She buys that instead and feels let down by Avon.

guest_angel

Would just like to add my voice to the 'bring it back!' campaign. Goodness this was such an extraordinary, beautiful and characterful scent, I miss it so much. Fed up being outbid on ebay - please, please bring it back Avon, even if only as a one-off special. Oh, and Casbah too!

hazel1812
hazel1812

I used Rare Rubies all the time and loved it and could not understand why Avon discontinued it. I also would love Avon to bring it back again

MondeoGirl

PLEASE AVON - BRING THIS PERFUME BACK!!! My mother, my daughter and a friend of mine all miss it! On E-Bay you can expect to pay £30 up for a bottle of this - it's like gold dust and sorely missed.

Rare Rubies by Avon 3.68 out of 5 based on 82 ratings and 48 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Rare Rubies fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Avon Rare Rubies, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rare Rubies by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rare Rubies by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.