Designers » A » Floral Fruity « Groups

Rare Sapphires Avon for women

Rare Sapphires Avon for women
dislike

Rare Sapphires by Avon is a Floral Fruity fragrance for women. Top notes are fig and grapefruit; middle notes are gardenia, lily and snowdrops; base notes are cedar, vetiver and fig tree.

Fig Grapefruit

Gardenia Lily Snowdrops

Cedar Vetiver Fig Tree

Philosykos
Folie de Figue

Rare Sapphires Fragrance Reviews

The_Entity
The_Entity

Glad they brought this back, very unique, although it's a fruity frag, my skin picks up the woody notes more. Since they brought this back, heres hoping they bring back emeralds and rubies...

boheme_maras
boheme_maras

It does really smells like philosykos !!! To me smells like dusty fig and until the end i can easily smell coconut. Mature, long lasting and timeless smell. Check it out !

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

I am nearing the end of my reviews for Avon's Rare Collection with only Rare Diamonds yet to come. The gorgeous blue bottle Sapphires presents in is a total throw-off for what is actually in it. Somehow, the bottle does not quite fit the fragrance but that is irrelative as for a helpful review, though this scent would be better suited in a clear bottle like the rest, with a deep plummy-blue top. I love the blue bottle but they did not color the rest so, hmm.. on with the show...

As a lover with particularly high appreciation of unusual, intriguing scents this is another winner in my book. It is not my favorite of the group or the least, but it IS the most unique and I value and LOVE that aspect. Also, to my surprise, this one is the least powerful, much less sillage and longevity which is also odd. I do not mean soft or powdery as there is nothing powdery about this, simply less "glam wam wow" than the others. After complete dry down, it is beautifully soft with a fruity, woodsy cedar edge I find delectable. This one is the earthiest of the entire rare collection and I have decided I love it! (And.. to the tune of ACDC "Big Balls" *sings* This is the strangest ...rare of them ALL!)

As I expected, the grapefruit top note hit me first as citruses are always right on top and strongest. The green figgy and cedar notes are in there too but overtaken by the strong grapefruit for the first 30 minutes, so it is a weird fragrance at first but this is one where patience is definitely a virtue. Do not expect to squirt this right out of the bottle and even presume to form an opinion until at least an hour has passed, preferably two or more, because the dry down turns into something brilliant one would never expect... such as a completely different scent altogether which is highly unique and lovely compared to modern, trendy mall scents. Strangely sultry, almost a skin scent, mild.

This is very much a green scent; a green, citrus floral and a bright, happy one but not so bright it loses its sex appeal. It is light spring/summer frag in every way with an uplifting aura about it that is very sexy and enchanting due to the fact it is so natural smelling in an earthy, mysterious "What IS that" kind of way. I do not pick up much floral but they are there, balancing the fruits with the woods to make this sweetly beautiful, though this is also the least sweet of The Rares. Rare Sapphires is truly lovely and distinct. It is the model in a high fash mag that makes you wonder how she got the job. She is oddly unattractive, yet the more you look at her the more compelling her face becomes until you find yourself drawn in and staring, enjoying her rare beauty. So the unusual (not stinky) fig and cedar is an auto dispose for noses who only prefer what they recognize from mags, malls and department stores. Good. More for me! *clink* Cheers!

Rare Sapphires is somewhat the ugly ducking that never becomes a swan, but it is simple and beautiful in its own right. It says "I am not va-va-voom, Marilyn Monroe, flowers, amber, fruit, honey, Dior, Tom Ford, V's Secret or Bath and Body. I am different from the rest but that does not make me less beautiful, important, desirable and special. I am down-to-earth gorgeous today and fine with that." It is outdoorsy "Earth Girl" without patchouli and musk who smells really good and pretty... AND sexy. I personally love such blends.

This will have a place in my wardrobe for the love of it uniqueness and to serve a great purpose on days where I am not in the mood to smell like all the rest or have not yet decided what kind of mood I am in. I can see where Rare Sapphires will fit that bill perfectly. :) It's a keeper. Avon does it again! *applauds*

Thomasania
Thomasania

I have been on a fig kick and I couldn't resist trying this one out. I must say that I do not regret it at all. I was able to buy two vintage partially used bottles on ebay for less than $12 and I absolutely love them. Of course,there are more expensive fig scents out there, but for me this one is a hidden gem. The fig note is both creamy and soft and I really enjoy it.

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

At first it smelled like fly spray and furniture polish but then I read these reviews and began to appreciate the beauty of it - yes figs all the way. Classy figs if there are such a thing. At first the sillage was very strong and I thought it was disgusting but now I just keep spraying it all over myself because I really really like it. It's a very odd one. I should have read the reviews more carefully though because it's not what I expected: I expected more of an Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Sapphires glamour, but I can't describe this as glamorous, more classy avant garde, quirky. It doesn't smell like Womanity by Thierry Muglar but it has the same sort of weirdness about it. Not for everybody. I had to get used to it.

winterlight
winterlight

I'm glad to discover the notes of this rather unusual scent, which I've just started wearing. I'm really surprised to see there's grapefruit in it at all because I'm usually very sensitive to that and try to avoid it if possible. I'm not detecting it at all on my skin, thankfully. I think it's the combination of fig and vetiver I'm finding so oddly compelling in this scent, it's not your everyday combination. I like unusual and characterful scents so I'm really appreciating this one, but I suspect it's one of those that will either work very well on your skin or not at all. As with the other perfumes in the Rare range, it is longlasting - I've been putting it on to go out in the morning the last few days, and can still smell it when I'm getting ready for bed at night. At the start of the day it is energising and by the end it is comforting. A strange one, but glad I bought it.

Mizuko
Mizuko

I've recently obtained this smell. I pretty like it. It smells like a cake with cream or a bit of vanilla, which is strange due to lack of vanilla in notes. I have no idea if the formula was changed. I didn't get the chance to smell previous versions. The newest one is pretty nice, warm, long lasting, sweet smell. For winter - a must have! I was nicely surprised after I got it because I found the reviews not promising.

aroma77
aroma77

If you like the smell of unripe figs and fig trees, you will probably like this one very much.
I personally find it one of the most interesting perfumes of Avon. Unusual, fresh, summery! Like walking by a fig tree in a hot summer day, heading for the beach...
(And actually if you can't afford Philosykos by Diptyque, this one is a good alternative!)

polkadot27
polkadot27

No idea why it is called a woody fragrance, it isnt at all woody to me. I smell fruit and citrus with a prominent smell of blubells and violets. To me it is beautiful sophisticated and uplifting however it takes a certain personality to pull it off. I would say it is for the mature lady with refined manners who is child like and innocent at heart & always pleasing and harmonious in her dealings with others. It is very blue and fruity, possibly even sweet smelling depending on one's skin chemistry. It is earthy and dreamy at the same time. Not to mention that it lasts around 6-8 hours which is incredible for an avon scent

Regina Weaver
Regina Weaver

It's advertised as a gourmand fragrance, but it didn't appeal to me. The strong aroma of bitter grapefruit paired with the characteristic fig spoils the scent. It smells dusty.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I have no idea if this scent was reformulated, because I have the original Rare Sapphires. I bought a brand-new EDP bottle at a tag sale many years ago, for five dollars!
Sapphire is my birthstone,and the bottle was gorgeous, so that attracted me even if I hated the scent and did not want to wear it. But I LOVE the delicious fig notes! This is "something different", very rich but not overpowering.

crysna
crysna

If avon reintroduced this one, (something not usual in this brand), is for the people who love it! Sapphires and emeralds are the only 2 that i didn't had the chance to smell it in the rare line! But i remember rare rubies, and that one i really like it a lot, crossing fingers thinking on, that avon would reintroduced that one too! Well i'm on my way to search for rare sapphires and take the chance to smell it!

Haha White_ that sounds awful indeed! It's a shame, I was looking forward to owning this one in the future!

suile
suile

I really like this one. Something different from the present fragrance trends.

Fig note is strong but fresh rather than cloying. Grapefruit appears more in the drydown, which is a bit unusual. Don't get a lot of floral notes myself, would personally describe this fragrance as more green gourmand than floral fruity. I could imagine a man who liked adventurous fragrances wearing this one.

Long lasting and quite powerful sillage.

And, very importantly, the whole production is not PALE PINK, which I am getting sick of the sight of. My bottle (Avon UK) has the whole top in blue, like the usual Rare line, not like the picture here. Bottle is a pale blue glass when empty, I think.

I never had the previous Rare Sapphires, so cannot compare. Believe this is reformulated but am not sure.

Overall, smells like a subtle blend of Molinard's Eau de Garrigues and Guerlain's Pamplelune. I loved both of those, so obviously I am biased towards this one.

I soo adore the Rare line, I would love to add this one and emeralds to my collection as well!

sarage
sarage

The bottle looks different in my catalogue. It is advertised as being floral-gourmand, and the main notes are grapefruit, gardenia and fig.
In my opinion, it is NOT gourmand.
The fig note is strong. I do not like this, it lacks character.

olgina
olgina

we have it in greece now. neither i like neither i hate it. i received it yesterday. not very interesting perfume at all.

karolla28
karolla28

We have it in Poland now.
The notes are: Grapefruit, gardenia, fig
Very different kind of scent. But interesting:)

VogueBoy
VogueBoy

it will be reintroduced with new notes and new bottle (same as Rare Gold but blue) for Christmas 2012

I found this to be one of the oddest fragrances that Avon ever came out with. To call this woody is an understatement. The only note that came out on my skin was the cedar. Not even a masculine fragrance kind of cedar, just cedar. No florals or fruits of any kind. I've never smelled this on anyone else, or at least haven't recognized it on anyone else. I would love to know how it worked out for others.

Rare Sapphires by Avon 3.38 out of 5 based on 86 ratings and 20 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Rare Sapphires fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Avon Rare Sapphires, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rare Sapphires by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rare Sapphires by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.