Designers » A » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Topaze Avon for women

Topaze Avon for women
dislike

aldehydic

Topaze by Avon is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. Topaze was launched in 1959. Top notes are aldehydes, coriander, peach, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, iris, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, benzoin, civet and vetiver.

Aldehydes Coriander Peach Bergamot Lemon

Carnation iris Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Benzoin Civet Vetiver

Crepe de Chine
Aspire
Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette

Topaze Fragrance Reviews

Topaze is a gorgeous bright floral aldehyde. It opens with the type of soapy vintage glamour that I adore and expect from a 1950's era aldehyde. The middle phase brings on the florals, especially a strong carnation note that carries through to the drydown, where it is met with soft sandalwood. I barely detect the civet in this at all. Topaze was introduced in the 1950's but was still being made into the 1990's, a sad reminder of how beautiful scents were once made for decades without reformulation. I wish Avon would bring this beauty back. I would surely stock up.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

I was just able to try a perfect vintage sample of Avon's Topaze thanks to a Frangrantica mentor, and it is amazing! It conveys that comforting, warm feeling of just stepping out of the shower in a luxury spa . . . candles lit . . .heated towels to dry off . . . white wine waiting. Then warmth and softness envelope you as you put on a thick, opulent bathrobe and luxuriate in the relaxing afterglow.

The aldehydes (which I am learning) and lemon obviously give Topaze the soapy clean character, but it is the floral accord and sandalwood that make it exceptional. The aldehydes are elevated to a superior level in the notes because they are supported by such a soothing foundation and allowed to star.

Experience Topaze with fresh eyes. Although the perfume is vintage, its' impact is not. If you didn't know that this was a venerable fragrance, you would embrace the balmy, clean swathe of an ageless beauty. It is a classic for a reason! Silage good and longevity several hours.

sheri.patterson
sheri.patterson

My grandma always had the cream on her dressing table. To me it smelled kind of like her safeguard soap.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

I could have loved Topaze a lot more; way beyond its final nice woody floral notes. But the civet notes are so overwhelming and suffocating that it makes Topaze unbearable and unpleasant, even for a guy like me, who has wore Givenchy Gentleman before.
But if you can pass that animalic limit, you will have a nice fragrance.

rockegg
rockegg

Here's a strange little historical note for you. I had a boyfriend who was working on a movie set where Bette Davis was in the cast (a long time ago!) and when the rest of the cast and crew had gone home he took me for a tour. I peeked at Bette Davis' dressing room and she had a bottle of Avon Topaze on her dressing table.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

I love perfumes, I really do. All types. High-end, middle-of-the-road, indie, niche, drugstore, body oils. Fragrance is a key to nirvana. And Topaze is one of those fragrances that takes me there. I own a variety of bottles of this juice, dating from its inception in 1959 up to the 1980's, and the older bottles are like a fine wine. If you can get your hands on the older Topaze, go for it. Believe me when I tell you, as it ages, it becomes a glorious perfume that has mellowed with age and ripened deliciously into a pure aldehyde and civet delight. When I lavish myself in my vintage Topaze, I cannot get enough of this fragrance.
The inclusion of ylang-ylang amidst other florals is just enough to keep this pleasant for me. I barely consider this a floral. I immediately sense the presence of tonka bean, benzoin and sandalwood in this wonderful creation, while amber mellows it to a smooth creamy texture with just a hint of spice added to the pot with the coriander mixed in. There are many notes in Topaze to create an unbelievably unique fragrance.
I, too, was an Avon snob about their fragrances for years, I'll admit to this. I didn't give them a chance. But I believe that's because I never had a chance to truly smell the originals, the true fragrances of Avon when I was growing up as a child. I only knew the later ones of more recent times as an adult. Now, I am actively pursuing their vintage scents to educate myself in the beginning stages of Avon's perfume. I've found they had some truly quality gems at low prices that smelled divine. Smell is associated with memories, and when I read many reviews about Avon, that's what I hear others talking about. Their pleasant memories with that particular perfume. So Avon had a win-win situation going; great prices, delivered to your door for free, you shopped from a catalog at your leisure, no-hassle returns and quality products. They perfumes became a popular gifting item, also, and thus, from all points their perfume end of the business was destined to become a success.
Except they would later discontinue their very popular fragrances, for various internal reasons, much to the dismay of many customers. The good news is that you can find these vintages on Ebay, Etsy, garage sales or at flea markets for very good prices.
The vintage parfum lasts longer than the cologne, obviously. This is a scent for confidence, for empowerment, for uplifting spirits, for feeling good about yourself in an earthy way. It reminds me very much of Chanel no. 5. I wear it to bed often because it's a soothing scent that allows you to dream your wildest dreams, to imagine the impossible, to be a sensual, carefree woman. It's a scent to wear a mysterious smile. It's just that good when it's a vintage bottle.
Yep, I love those vintage Avon classic scents now. They hold a special place amongst my perfume shelves, standing next to my other vintages of yesteryear with pride. Perfume snobbery doesn't belong there.

strawberrynewton
strawberrynewton

Ahhh, Pure elegance, pure sophistication, pure class in a bottle! A true classic that only seems to earn more and more respect from me compared to the fruity, juicy 'all smells the same' celebrity fragrances that are pushed and promoted today. I adore this elegant, timeless classic however, I wish it would last longer on my skin. The cologne splash (so common from Avon back in the day) hardly lasts on me for more than 30 minutes. I recently ordered the small concentrated perfume and can't wait for it to arrive as I'm hoping I'll be able to catch luxurious whiffs of it longer. Love it, love it love it!

StarMagix
StarMagix

I still have a bottle of this from so many years ago, I no longer can remember. It smells as fresh as it did when I first bought it. I have it in the tall yellow bottle with the square topaz em on it's top. I wore this in High School and in my 20's right up until the time it was discontinued. I do wish Avon would bring this back for old time sake. This has always been a favorite even when I did not look for notes. Topaz really is as classic as a '67 Mustang convertible!

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

My god, Topaze is the perfume for a goddess!
My mother purchased a vintage perfume rolette of it for me at a flea market not long ago. The liquid had turned to a syrup and is amber colored.
At 23, I love vintage perfumes. The classics are classics for a reason and I wish people my age thought the same. Topaze makes me feel sophisticated and seductive.

The notes are blended to perfection.
I smell a burst of sandalwood, Bergamot and Ylang-Ylang in the opening. As it drys down, Jasmine comes out sweetly and softly. After notes are Civet and Amber with a waxy, deliciously warm beauty.
Honestly, It's divine.
I do wonder if they've re-formulated it. I havn't had the chance to try a new bottle but I can only hope that they havn't.

Avon outdid itself.

pablOSO
pablOSO

Hi!

if you want to check this perfume , and live near mexico , they sell it in the mexican catalogue by the name ELEGANTE ( elegant )

i dont know how the quality of the ingredients could vary ( cuz is packaged in a horrendous botle with a green cap)

to me , smells like a poor woman chanel 5

Alexandre
Alexandre

With the advent of new creations, especially gourmands, the great classics Floral Aldehydes are becoming in the past! Sad! Topaze is this case. No longer in the catalog Avon, but I was fortunate to acquire many bottles at a cosmetics store for a real bargain! I love my expensive perfumes, but also admire these genuine treasures of incomparable quality and price. Topaze reminds me of one of my favorite perfume, Arpege, many similar notes, only more arid and not as delicate as Lanvin. Topaze leaves a delightful trail wherever he goes. Notes explosive output constrast with delicate background mist that emanates from this great little gem of Avon.

jasmasid

I managed to find a nearly-new little pot of Avon cream perfume at a bargain price. A small amount on the wrist took me right back to the late 60s early 1970s. It smells EXACTLY as it used to: sweet, fresh, and very, very fragrant. Superb lasting power. Somehow, the cream (or even solid) version of Topaze always smelt superior to the spray version because, when sprayed, the aldehydes would be upfront and evaporate very quickly leaving behind a very soapy trail.
However, with the cream or solid, that creamy white petal effect is much more prominent.
How I wish Topaze could be manufactured again. The few vintage bottles and tubs doing the international shipping rounds will soon run out. (sigh!)

krmarich
krmarich

Topaze was opulent and bold. It sold for about $1.99 a bottle in the 1960s. Avon changed the way women purchased fragrance-for themselves! Door to door sales ladies would bring samples of these inexpensive and lavishly produced classics. They caught on in every town and city in America. They were more recognized than expensive French rivals.

I remember visiting mothers(mine included) coming to school wearing Topaze, Bird of Paradise, and Heres My Heart, Persian Wood and Occur! Indeed, Avon was the American beauty house.

Topaze is a lot like Joy, yet sweeter and more complex. Oh yes much cheaper too! Its water down version was finally removed from the market in 2000. There are still a few bottle on the web here and there of the original classic. Look for the tall gold bottle with the faux jewel on top.

jasmasid

I would love to have it again -- if I can find it! I first sampled it as a teenager in 1968 or so, and it was from a small pot of "solid" perfume. A little dab on the wrist scented the entire room. Where can I find it? Do Avon still do it?

i always loved this perfume. sometimes i think avon's much older scents are better than the new. this is spicy yet powdery with hints of soft citrus. floral hues shine through also. loved the bottle with the topaz on top and the long yellow bottle with the same faux topaz. one of my all time favorites.

Eleiria
Eleiria

This perfume had an awesome violet bottle back in the 90s and I used to adore it. But as a kid, it was too much and unapproachable for me. Then, Avon stopped producing it. They obviously didn't care that I lived with the hope of using this perfume when I get older :D

I have a small sample bottle of Topaze and still it smells divine. A self-confident, classy, sophisticated, chic woman walks into a high-ceilinged, white ballroom; dressed in a simple yet striking gown, smiling serenely... That's the image Topaze form in my mind. I love it!

guest_sweetgirl
guest_sweetgirl

I have to get me some I love this perfume since I was a very little girl,It reminds me of my mother sitting on her lap snuggling I LOVE IT!!!!

guest_tina skinner
guest_tina skinner

I wiould love to have it. my mother wear it, all the time. the best.

guest_OCTAVIO
guest_OCTAVIO

OIGAN MIREN,ESTE PERFUME EN MEXICO TODAVIA LO VENDEN,EL MIEMISIMO SOLO KE CON OTRO NOMBRE SE LLAMA ELEGANTE,TODO ES IGUAL EL ENVASE,EL TIPO DE LETRA SOLO KE EN VEZ DE DECIR TOPAZE DICE ELEGANTE,ES EL MISMO.

MrLenny
MrLenny

I'm the Guy who LOVES to wear this Avon Classic, Topaze Eau de Cologne. It's so, so special to me, classy and yes, it works just perfect with my chemistry. I love it, it loves me, and I think Male or Female, wear whatever Fragrance you wish too, why? Because, Fragrances Have NO GENDER!! Fragrances are special, wear them, no matter who'm their made for, it's a Fragrance, and extension of who you are, an everlasting aura. So, enjoy it, and so will others...

Topaz has been one of the very first perfumes that i love. My mum use to have it in a long yellow bottle, beautiful, frantically enough i was in Rarotonga couple of years back and there, i found it in one of the local shops...very sentimental reasons

milena

The topaze I have is ten years old.Bought it from a avon sales representative then.To this day it smells very nice.I keep it in the box away from sun light.I very rarely use it but on rare occasions I dose my self with this floral aldehyde.Simply a classic no matter what price.

Diegof7
Diegof7

eu acho o cheiro desse perfume horrível!!
Me lembra um pouco o Channel nº5, tem um cheiro ultrapassado e sufocante, deve ser por causa da nota do civette que é bem notável, odeio cheiros animalísticos e
o pior é que onde moro os mais idosos amam essa fragrância.

milena

I love this perfume. Even thought its an inexpensive oldie, it smells very classy.

liquidiridium
liquidiridium

Oh, I love this. My grandma had this on her dresser in a little cream jar w/a topaz jewel on top. So clean smelling. She let us put it on our wrists before church. :) Reminds me of safeguard soap, much nicer though.

Este perfume é podre, lembra um pouco o Chanel nº 5, nossa eu passo mal com alguém perto dele, tem um cheiro animalesco horrível ainda bem que a versão original saiu de linha aqui no Brasil.

guest_Lolita
guest_Lolita

In Spanish..
Quisiera saber como comprar un frasco de ese delicioso perfume.. que tiene una combinacion perfecta. Lo recuerdo desde 1959..

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

Discontinued in America now, I do remember my mom had this when I was a child in a body cream. The little jar was so cute w/ a little topaz jewel on the lid. I remember the jasmine, fruity-ness, and rich sandalwood. Would love to smell this again.

guest_hathor
guest_hathor

i am amazed to discover that this perfume still exists. had a small bottle of it for christmas when i was eleven. it was the most beautiful present i had ever had. this lovely little bottle with a gold top. if i was to smell it again i would be standing in semi darkness next to the lighted christmas tree with dr. w, a younger friend of my father, the first real grown-up man i ever liked, who gave me a christmas hug and said something nice i can't quite remember. but remember feeling very special. surprise, what is it- a floral aldehyde!! think this tiny bottle influenced my perfume tastes for life. i'm a chanel 5 girl, also love arpege and madame rochas

Topaze by Avon 3.80 out of 5 based on 82 ratings and 29 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Avon Topaze fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Avon Topaze, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Topaze by Avon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Topaze by Avon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.