Designers » A » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Onyx Azzaro for men

Onyx Azzaro for men
dislike

Onyx Azzaro for men Pictures Onyx Azzaro for men Pictures

Onyx by Azzaro is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Onyx was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Francoise Caron. Top notes are lavender, mandarin orange and bergamot; middle notes are basil, geranium and cardamom; base notes are leather, amber, patchouli, benzoin and oakmoss.

Lavender Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Basil Geranium Cardamom

Leather Amber Patchouli Benzoin Oakmoss

Silver Black

Onyx Fragrance Reviews

Mojtabaa
Mojtabaa

سلام

جهت اطلاع دوستانی که شاید مطلع نیستند.

آزارو اونیکس و آزارو سیلور بلک یکی هستند.

منتهی این عطر در امریکای شمالی با نام اونیکس عرضه شده و در اروپا و سایر مناطق دنیا با نام سیلور بلک عرضه شده.

برند آزارو برندی است که فیک زیاد داره، مخصوصا فیک های حرفه ای که تشخیصش سخته.

من آزارو سیلور بلک رو تست کردم، بوش شبیه به آزارو پور هوم هست منتهی ضعیف تر و ملایم تر شده.

خیلی اسپایسی آزار دهنده نیست.

برای کسانی که از آزارو پور هوم خوششون میاد اما غلظتش اذیتشون میکنه این مدل میتونه جایگزین خوبی باشه.

adyyy7
adyyy7

Good quality for a good price as almost all Azzaro perfumes.Is not a wow fragrance but is a quality one for sure.

vonMises
vonMises

On the box it says, In the US and Canada, this is called Onyx. Outside the US and Canada this is called Silver-Black.

It is the same fragrance: Onyx and Silver-Black.

Fruity lime, then floral-leather accords. Unique. Very nice.

daynierds
daynierds

I was NOT expecting much but guess what...I am quite impressed by this one, smells a bit different to others in the market and quite nice indeed....I find some slight similarities to polo black...it is a quality juice for sure and certainly worth of a BUY....
edit: trying it again I see this thing is kind of magic...once applied and after 1-3 minutes.... it moves from a common kind of synthetic fragrance to a more fruity, dark, mysterious smell that is kind of sexy, appealing and above all..w
quite unique but in the positive side....again..worth of a blind buy for those who cannot get to sample it first...I do like it...
edit: 1 h. and 20 min. later it keeps varying into an even more black fruity smell...very nice indeed!

pronose
pronose

is this still available?????

maab
maab

Onyx is a pleasant and versatile fragrance with a sort of metallic touch. Good longevity and moderate sillage.

Now this one,,, wow I was taken back really like this one Azzaro did a beautiful job on this my wife loves it and the longer its on the better. Smells better then some other $$ fragrance.

RobbieX

It's patchouli, sweet and herbal....and..very unique and nice indeed. I think Azzaro and Francoise have done a very god job with this one.

deja vu-gr
deja vu-gr

I am very qurious about this one.
I found it online at a very special price.A real bargain, but i have never smelled this before and i don't know if it has a versatility above average.I am looking for an aromatic fresh easy to wear pefume but elegant and manly at the same time for day and night all year round.Your reviews here totaly confused me because some of you refer that it is only for special and formal occasions and some of you that it is perfect in any occasion.
Any clear suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Idlehands
Idlehands

smelled this today. before smelling I was preparing myself to be sickened with an old school frag. But was totally surprised when this beautiful manly smelling cologne came out. the longer it sits the more I like it. how have I never smelled this before? I have a feeling this one will get lots of compliments.

Thee Maestro
Thee Maestro

So,woke up early this morning,ready for a hectic day.We were concluding a 'hostile' take-over,I sprayed once behind each ear ahead of my 6am stratigic meeting with the team.This delightful monster of a fragrance kept up with the hours,projecting like crazy!With all the groups of people I had to deal with,I got compliments even in a tense situation like a take-over! I had lunch and dinner at different places and I think my partners were getting tired of it when the waitresses coplimented me. It's been a long day,I'm totally spent but the beast isn't,my girl would be enjoying this,if i had the energy and she was here.The time now,10:27pm!AMAZING!!

Bobster
Bobster

If you look in my like and dislikes list you will see that I dislike this fragrance but love silver black. Everyone under the sun will swear this and silver black are the same fragrance. They go to wits end to state that Onyx is the US version and silver black is Canada version. I am here to tell you they are not the same fragrance. They may smell in similarities but silver black out performs Onyx by a mile. I know this because I have owned onyx and presently own Silver black and silver black outlast onyx in over smell,projection, and longevity. I never received a compliment when I used to wear onyx but every time I wear silver black I always get numerous compliments back to back. It never fails. Whatever they did to silver black to stand different from onyx I am glad they did because I will always try to have this in my collection.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Onyx? As in black? I don't think so. This stuff smells relentlessly cheerful and fresh - like any number of other such scents.

Funny: I threw the test strip in the trash. Days later I go to empty the trash and get a sudden blast of Calone. Not entirely a bad thing for trash to smell like.

muglerian7
muglerian7

It's nothing like Azzaro Pour Homme,but just as nice! You MUST let this dry down for a few minutes.. at first spray I can't stand it, but after a few minute, what a great masculine fragrance, nothing ordinary or "normal" about this at all.. Great for going out and making an impression.

haborym26
haborym26

strong green apple opening ruins this fragrance in my eyes.quite cheap smelling fragrance,like ordinary drugstore aftershave.

dromidreza
dromidreza

این رو مادرم برام خریدن و مجبورم دوستش داشته باشم...بوی معمولی داره.دوستت دارم مادر

Pv52fa
Pv52fa

i get spearmint and basil

shamus1
shamus1

Onyx is hugely underrated, and I think that's because it's so inexpensive and easy to find. Both powerful and complex, Onyx takes the fresh woody/spicy style of today (cedar, cardamom, anise) and plonks it on top of a Seventies style aromatic fougere base. The two styles blend perfectly, and what you get is a nice strong, manly fragrance that smells pretty high octane by today's standards.

Onyx smells cold and steely, and at the very end of its drydown, it reveals a dry, traditional fougere base, reminiscent of none other than G.F. Trumper's Wild Fern. Great fragrance here.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

Zenith
Zenith

Citrus leather fragrance, not especially interesting unfortunately.

While a decent fragrance it seems a little dated overall, despite being released in the naughties. I would love to see more heavy citrus fragrances but unfortunately this one does not quite do it for me.

Nice and strong for a short amount of time, but fades fast

SnowStorm
SnowStorm

I might have gotten a bad/expired bottle because dang this stuff was horrendous.

ericrico
ericrico

In no order, but VanAllan, RobbieX and Cassiano all hit the right points here for me and what I'm getting. Full wearing - it has been sitting (for no reason) on my shelf for several months. I bought a tester as well, Cassiano, and wanted to wait for warmer weather before trying it due to the notes written on the back, as you said: "bergamot, green lime, coriander, cypress tree, vetiver, amber and white musk". I had several opportunities on warm fall days, but reached for something else. It was "that" bottle which remained mysterious (I have a couple more for when I want to try something new on a whim that are also highly-regarded)! So, based on what the bottle said, to me, that expresses spring & summer and the early days of fall.

It is early March - a sunny day, some coolness in the breezy air and I decided after reading more and more that I have been neglecting this bottle for too long. I have to first say, I love Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme but do not really like the current reformulation. That said, there are a lot of other fragrances by the Azzaro house, including this bottle by Francoise Caron, that stand on their own merit. No correlation and I couldn't even put the two next to each other on a shelf.

This bottle of Azzaro Onyx, as I am engulfed in 7-8 sprays - inner wrists, neck, shirt...is really modern and a breath of fresh air! Wow! I get Bergamot and Mandarin Orange on top with a nice smooth lavender and a squeeze of the forementioned lime - nothing cloying, but a blast of fresh citrus and a dash of their bitters!! I am impressed as the notes blend into a wonderful, juicy composition. I get a nice, warm, earthy spiciness underneath from the cardamom and coriander. I defer to the Tester bottle's notes for that one as well as the cypress. The green note I get is more refreshing and slightly woody. A dash of geranium and a touch basil are components in the heart (as the middle is nice and transcendent), but they are both in the shadow of a beautiful, tall cypress tree. Interesting - I get more cypress on my skin and more basil/geranium/citrus/lavender on my shirt in the middle as the top is still going strong on my clothes - fresh but with even a slight orange rind/basil bitterness that some mention. I am neutral to this - it keeps it unique and a modern "twist" on things.

First base note that I get is white musk - clean and lifted...followed by a nice touch of amber. The patchouli and leather add a nice touch in the drydown (I love patchouli in scents like this as it keeps the composition on the fresh, green and spicy side). The leather is a soft note - not dominant, as I detect a light "suede" feel...'plush', if I may.

I disagree with the bottle notes - no vetiver...period. That's fine as I don't think it would have been a note needed (or desired) in this very good fragrance by Francoise Caron. Vetiver can take a fragrance in a whole different direction - and mind you, this is coming from a Vetiver-lover! No shift in direction wanted or needed.

So, I waited for the right occasion to wear this and now I find myself asking - "What is NOT the right occasion to wear this?" This is a terrific bottle of grab-spray-and-go juice! It is truly vibrant and warms up so nicely. Not overly synthetic at all - as a matter of fact, I would say that it smells like a bottle far more expensive than its price tag. This is very good for virtually any age - high school/college up to 50's+. Special occasion - sure. Jeans and a shirt - sure (that's my attire today). Shorts and a nice polo - absolutely!

I have to give this a genuine 8+/10 for the value and versatility. I don't know about longevity yet as it's only been 35-40+ minutes, but the drydown shows promise and my shirt still has warm and fresh citrus on it! Glad I "found" this amongst my bottles on a Friday afternoon. Impressive.

*Update* - after having lunch outside, this became a skin scent with a little more projection on my shirt. I was hoping for more power, but it is not there...a little disappointment for longevity. So, do apply generously if you are going to be outdoors with Azzaro Onyx and know you will need to reapply. Reduced score, 7/10 - I look forward to wearing this again...how do people not see this as a spring/summer scent as well as cool weather. This will be even better when the weather hits 80 degrees!

krmarich
krmarich

I was gifted this from the editors in 2009! Such a gracious and wonderful gesture. I tucked it in my stash for posterity. It is nothing short of a classical revival of the leather based mens offering.

Azarro has always been a favorite brand for men, myself included. This was the prodigal son. Lavender, patcholi and leather make a big comeback here. Its a surprise in the current syrupy vanilla market. It is nowhere near the sea(aquatic). It throws its nose up at the current trends and boldly redefines masculine leather classics! It works best in colder weather. It projects far and wide, with no apologies! Boys, step aside, this is for men only.

Azarro Onyx uses sexy cardamon/leather again! They are a trademark of the house. Amber, basil and oakmoss are all surprisingly along for the ride. It is wrapped in a rich, oily black leather note that whispers seductively. Red Harley, boots, vest and a whip! You provide the sweat! This is pure Marquis de Sade!

MrMookie
MrMookie

I got a big bottle yesterday and i really tried it good today i was so excited as a huge azzaro fan.
Im now smelling it close to the skin.
At first spray it great for starter very fresh n vibrant! Dry down is real nice too very hip! its a true timeless scent in a way i think this one will stay "modern" over the upcoming decades.
Its a well constructed modern spicy but fresh scent Totally dig this one! its sexy!
I really like the way the bergamot and mandarin is not present at all but almost hidden behind other ingredients alsmost perfectly leveled out so the scent of its freshness is not so obvious like other citrus scents.
Big thumbs up for ONYX!

Iulix_73
Iulix_73

Clean, expressive and durable! Unfortunately for me (or fortunately) I and "black silver " which is the same perfume! However, the final mark 9 / 10.

Anup
Anup

Nothing from Azzaro has impressed me quite like their "pour homme" line, and respective flankers. Azzaro onyx has swayed my view greatly of this fragrance house. I feel like onyx takes a few steps back, as far as modern fragrance goes.

I was expecting a creation year of around 1987-1995. Boy was i wrong. Don't get me wrong, this fragrance doesn't take a step back in a NEGATIVE way, it's more of an introspective reflection of what has been created.
Onyx plays by it's own rules, it's fashionable, even though it wears dated clothing. It's the man in the room wearing the wrong outfit, but wears it well.

Onyx starts off with a "kool-aidy" gust of cold leather, and sweet musty oakmoss.
As it dries down, you'll notice the leather warming up with the syrupy benzoin crystals and powdery lavender. The basil is what throws i giant question mark in the composition for me.
I love the fragrance, and then, and then...BASIL...And i sniffsniffsniff my hand again trying FOR THE LIFE OF ME to figure it out.
I can't, and it's sort of a "agree to disagree" kind of feeling. I know onyx doesn't care what i think, and that's what i like about it.

I approve

Smell: 7
Longevity: 7
Sillage: 8

MisterE
MisterE

Quite interesting, because I never know how my skin will adapt to this powdery patchoulie and oakmoss that just drive insane mostly my friends, They love it and want to eat me raw!!!

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

This is awesome and for all ages but the under 25 crowd is probably too consumed with AXE, BODY SPRAY, Cool Water and such.

Fine by me, why would you spend hundreds when you can get a "mini" of this on the web for under $10 w/o box before shipping?

Mature and sophisticated can describe this which again, will scare off the under 25 yr. old crowd but so fits this DEEP, DARK and green noted manly scent.

adrianocgo
adrianocgo

one of the most sexies fragrances of the world. Azzaro Onyx: The Ace of Spades!

10/10 at all

Cologne Junkie72
Cologne Junkie72

I like this scent.It is a classy scent to wear,and it is not cloying.It is great for a wedding,or wearing a black suit,and tie to work,or to a party.I would rather wear it to work,and/or for evening use.Not too bad for daytime.I like the initial citrus scent,and then the drydown of leather,and woods.it last a good while.About 7-8 hours on me.There is a Silver Black out there too,that's supposed to be the exact same thing,just the name is changed,and it's from the same house.

VanAllan
VanAllan

Something about this 'hard-to-find' gem was making me ordered it online, almost blindly. I remember that when I tried it (or it was Silver Black ?...the same stuff, anyway) all I could say was 'Wow !' because the woody-masculine combination stayed with me all day, making me feel like a mature and classy gentleman.

It opens with a blast of green bergamot & lavender, along with some cardamom that take about 1 hr. to develop into a little bitter/spicy heart that carry along an aromatic feeling of basil & geranium. After another 2 hrs. it reveals a smoky bitter-sweet woody base (leather, musk, amber, benzoin & lot of oakmoss), very masculine and pleasant.

It is indeed suitable for men over 30, but in the same time, as 'casiano' and 'knightz' said, very good as an everyday scent for a confident guy.
I like it enough to put it soon in my top 20 as it gives me such a mature and modern feeling. My humble rank 8.5/10. ☣☣☣☣

guest_Aria
guest_Aria

Nice scent, not a long longevity though!
Has got a classical smell, good for formal occasions, I reckon.

RobbieX

A very nice citrus/herbal combination opening followed by an excellent, pleasant spicy/patchouli drydown. This is a well constructed scent - a really nice smell. Longevity is only fair though and it could do with being a bit stronger. However, this is a great fragrance and to be honest I haven't smelled anything quite like it.

Chanelle
Chanelle

I ADORE this perfume! It's the type of smell I want to spray over my pillow and hug it all night long. Very sexy modern and blends very well with the skin.

antonpan
antonpan

In some markets (especially in Europe) the scent is (now was, because it is discontinued) named Silver Black, in the other markets - Onyx. But the juice is the same.

bwcw81
bwcw81

Is this the same content as Silver Black? I am confuse as the name and the notes are so different!

Hope anyone who know this can clarify if ONYX = Silver Black or not? Thanks!

Update:
Thanks antonpan!
I've just got the Onyx, I can confirmed that it is 100% the same juice with Silver Black, just a different of the fragrance name, loving it!

guest_Laguzza
guest_Laguzza

It smells like strong man. Very sexy!

manuel-okey
manuel-okey

is a masterpiece.Very classic and elegant,for very formal / especial occasion.

Floritica64
Floritica64

This is a masterpiece by Monsieur Caron. I applaude your thoughtful combination of ingredients.

Cassiano
Cassiano

I can remember that I have felt this fragrance a long time ago, I knew that I liked by that time, but I can’t remember how it was. I am enchanted!

If someone ask me for a scent that can be worn daily, which shows presence and elegance, I would not waste my time to give the answer: AZZARO ONYX!

I came to take a look on its olfactive pyramid and I realized that those in this site are wrong. Mine is a Tester and the notes came on its bottle. They are: bergamot, green lime, coriander, cypress tree, vetiver, amber and White musks.

On my skin, stays as a kind of fresh scent with a delicious touch of spices and a base that reminded me some of Pólo Explorer, which I like. However, in this one, I guess that it has notes of Tea Mate from Chile, while in ONYX we don’t have this note. I guess that here, the cypress gives that hint.

Wonderful lasting. Another success of Azzaro. I recommend!

I disagree. It is not an ordinary scent. It is actually a great scent. I have tried at least 100 different scents and this one is a favorite.

instantjim
instantjim

Called "Silver Black" in Australia. This is a great fragrance. I wasn't sure which of the two Azzaros I preferred at first, but after comparing the two I prefer this to the original Azzaro. I think this is a more distinctive fragrance, it is definitely fruitier - when initially applied it made me think of a ripe cantaloupe melon (even though it contains citrus not melon). It also has the wood and lavender that I like in the original Azzaro.

Stefan
Stefan

Very classic, but can't find an occasion.

knightz
knightz

Onyx by Azzaro could very well be the number one in my top five. I can't think of any other one I own (that I consider to be in my top five) which I would be comfortable wearing every day, except for V by Valentino. Onyx is at least 5 times stronger than V is, so it wins by it's sillage alone. Long lasting too, at least 6 hours on me.

I was having a difficult time putting the notes in this one in writing. It's a very spicy opening with Bergamot smoothing over the spices. Lots of rich spices in the heart, including Cardamom, Coriander, Basil, Caraway. The base is Amber, Patchouli, and little Benzoin. The reason I was having a hard time writing about this one is because there is an accord in it that makes me think of an Anise note, or an Anise-Amber accord, but there is nothing in it like Anise or Licorice. I did figure it out, it's seems like it's a coniferous note, but not Pine. It's more like a Cypress or Juniper note (maybe Retem?) that gives it a slightly sharp edge without dominating it.

I remember one recent comment I got on Onyx, indirectly, from a woman. I got on an elevator and there was 2 women behind me. Just as the doors opened for my floor I heard one of the young women take a deep sniff and ask her friend "Can you smell that?". Her friend said something like "Yeah, sooooo nice." as I walked out.

This one is a Winner! And, the ladies seem to like it too.

10/10, 4 Aces, 5 Stars, 2 Thumbs up!

seabear
seabear

Got this as a sample and used it this morning. I wasn't impressed. Smelled "old-timey". Got to work. Within 15 minutes I had 4 women comment about the nice cologne I was wearing. I'll have to try this a few more times, but I may be on to something.

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

I love this fragrance. I recently found 2 sample vials in with my other samples and couldn't believe I missed this onee. Nice and subtle and not overpowering. I'm gonna have to go buy some as I only have a tiny bit left in one vial.

Onyx by Azzaro 3.94 out of 5 based on 152 ratings and 45 user reviews

Azzaro Onyx Eau de Toilette For Men, 3.4 fl oz
Azzaro Onyx Eau de Toilette For Men, 3.4 fl oz
Loris Azzaro Azzaro Onyx Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Loris Azzaro Azzaro Onyx Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Azzaro Onyx fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Azzaro Onyx, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Onyx by Azzaro. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Onyx by Azzaro represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.