Designers » B » Chypre Floral « Groups

Balenciaga Paris Balenciaga for women

ozonic
Balenciaga Paris Balenciaga for women Videos Balenciaga Paris Balenciaga for women Videos Balenciaga Paris Balenciaga for women Videos
Balenciaga Paris Balenciaga for women Pictures Balenciaga Paris Balenciaga for women Pictures

Balenciaga Paris is a new fragrance by the house of Balenciaga and it was launched as the first fragrance after starting partnership with Coty, in 2008. Designer of Balenciaga - Nicolas Ghesquiere worked on developing the new fragrance and was meticulous about every detail of Balenciaga Paris edition. Perfumer who created this composition is Olivier Polge of IFF.

Balenciaga Paris is not a romantic floral fragrance, but created with a dose of the urban and the traditional with nuances of metal effects. Its composition is characterized as a chypre floral with accentuated violet. The effect it leaves is not powdery as it usually does in other compositions, but violet leaves are put in the front plan so the fragrance receives light, fresh and natural nuances. Olivier Polge integrates redistilled wood such as cedar and patchouli. Floral essences are represented by carnation and violet.

Flacon is made of transparent glass body, shaped like beans and decorated with a stopper which reminds of old vases from the 18th century. The designer's wish was to give character to these fragrance and flacon, so he believed that head, neck and stable body would make appropriate design. Fragrance Balenciaga Paris is available as 30, 50 and 75ml EDP, along with 200 ml perfumed bath and 200 ml body lotion.

Advertising face and muse of the creator is Charlotte Gainsbourg, known from other advertising billboards by the house of Balenciaga. Photographer of the campaign is Steven Meisel. Balenciaga Paris was launched in 2010.

Carnation Patchouli Virginia Cedar Violet Violet Leaf

Balenciaga L`Essence
Karleidoscope

Balenciaga Paris Fragrance Reviews

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Disquieting opening, rather sharp and unpleasant. That passes, but all that appears from my skin is a bitter floral. Eventually, there is a cedar/warm woody undertone in the dry-down, but it definitely does not work for me.

GreenPistachio
GreenPistachio

I received a sample of this when I purchased my PradaIDI. The sample broke and saturated the paper box, so every time I reached for infusion d'iris I'd smell paris. I loved the way it smelled on the paper and this went on for several months before I decided to blind buy this scent. I do wish that I tested first because it's much warmer on my skin (I fell in love with the crisp green smell). Also, it's made by coty and there is something (a base fragrance "starter"?... something) that is similar in the drydown of lovestruck by vera wang which is also produced by coty. These two fragrances do not smell alike nor are they in the same family, I'm smelling something in the base/drydown. I do like it, although, the warmth keeps it from being a refreshing green violet scent that I was hoping for.

onaona
onaona

Balenciaga Paris is sharp initially. Not sharp enough to do harm, or to be off putting in any way, but sharp enough to get your attention, and (thankfully)keep it.

It's the beautiful violet leaves, I think. Greens can be natural and earthy, even free-spirited. Not so in Balenciaga Paris. Here they come with just a wee pierce. It merely opens the way for the remaining notes to have an unobstructed opportunity to win you over. In my case, it worked beautifully.

What I was free to learn about Balenciaga Paris was wrapped in elegance. She's a very serious fragrance. Tailored. Well bred. Intelligent. The violet is feminine; the cedar strong. This is quite obviously a strong female. If not the CEO, certainly the real power behind the CEO. There's just enough carnation to add a little spice...a little curiosity about her. The powder typically associated with violet is not nearly enough to lure you into comfort. It's not a soothing composition. Wearing lounge wear is out of the question. The appeal is in the poise, the bearing.

You'll get hours of wear, make sure you are up to the challenge. Keep your head up and back straight. You are in the presence of a lady :)

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Paris Balenciaga

Notes: Violet Leaves Violet Carnation Patchouli Cedar

What a different animal than Yves Saint Laurent's Paris which a radical flower bomb detonating every time you spray it. This is a soft floral whisper, a sweet and delicate scent of violet and woods. Even though they don't smell anything alike it has that lightness almost aquatic feel as Waterford Lismore. The opening was a carnation. It's more of a violet as the violet and it's shrub leaves become more pronounced with a green and watery freshness. If there is patchouli here it's asleep. This is a subdued patchouli and more of a cedar wood. One touch of wood. Very simple. Easy to wear, inoffensive, subtle, and enjoyable in spring and summer weather. It's the kind of baby you can take with you anywhere because this baby doesn't make a sound. It won't cry. It won't scream and it won't throw out enormous sillage. It doesn't really remind me of Paris which is very smelly in a good way but this is not bad either.

MoonSparrow
MoonSparrow

It is pretty, and it is floral, but is not just another pretty floral. Violet is a most interesting floral note to capture; naturally sweet with that metallic tang underscored by clean musk. That is what makes up Balenciaga Paris to me. No creaminess and no vanilla to winterize it; this is fresh for springtime.

I received it in a swap about a year ago and at that time considered it pretty bland but nice enough for warm weather. I wore it maybe 3 times then shelved it. I've just pulled it out today because I had a yen for violets and can now feel there is much more depth to it than I originally thought. It is beautiful, really. No powdery or make-up nuances to be found, it is deeply woody, musky and Violet all the way.

Normally I am not a fan of the crushed leaves effect in fragrances, but here, though sharp in the opening, it settles with the other notes and dries down to a whisper. One of the better blended fragrances I've ever tried, it is a new springtime favorite for me.

K1
K1

I like Polge's creations for his rational and proportional design which he inherited from his father. Paris is a brittle cucumber'ish leafy opener fragrance that gives the impression of city street washed by purifying rain in a spring afternoon. It's floral green and so fragile and soft with almost murmured salty sequence. As a chypre floral fragrance the nose perfectly takes notes from classical compositions and translated it with modern accent. Balenciaga Paris is a unisex green woody and floral perfume with cedar wood and patchouli (and ylang ylang probably) in the base that gives earthy atmosphere.

Paris is a perfume for personal joy. Its weak sillage, it's skin-loving smell, and it's soft green tone are all set for self. It has fairly long longevity and mediocre projection.
★★★

از کارهای پولژ خوشم میاد بخاطر ساختارهای منطقی و استاندارد عطراش که این هنر رو از پدرش به ارث برده. پاریس عطری هست که با رایحۀ شکنندۀ برگ مانند و خیار مانند بنفشه شروع میکنه که از فرط تمیزی و تازگی حس خیابونهای شهر رو میده تو عصر بهاری که با سیل بارون بهار شسته شدن. این عطر گُلی و سبز و خیلی شکننده و ظریف هست و توی شروع نمه هایی از بوی نمکی داره که سوسو میزنه. به عنوان شیپق گُلی عطار ترکیب رو از ساختارهای کلاسیک وام گرفته و اون رو به صورت امروزی و مدرن ارائه کرده. بالنسیاگا پاریس عطری یونیسکس و گُلی و چوبی و سبز هست که بوی چوب سدروس و نعناهندیش (احتمال میدم یلانگ یلانگ هم داشته باشه) توی فرود کار کاملا فضای خاکی رو القا میکنن

پاریس عطری شخصی هست که شخص باید ازش لذت ببره و این بخاطر نشر بوی کم توان این عطر هست و رایحۀ سبز و نرمی که به زیبایی روی پوست میشینه و به پوست میاد. موندگاری خوبی داره اما نشرش پایینه
★★★

Eaugirlspirit
Eaugirlspirit

Balenciaga Paris and Balenciaga L'Essence are similar scents and I love them both, but I must say that my taste has changed and when I initially smelled both upon their release several years ago, I dismissed them too quickly. I can confidently say that I now will be repurchasing Paris for life.

I started off revisiting L'Essence because it was easier to wear and lighter to my nose than the original. I loved it in the Spring and Summer because in the warm humid air, the scent of green mossiness and violets in a woodland forest came alive on my skin. There is a trace of vetiver in both scents that I realize I love and is in a lot of the perfumes I love.

The remarkable truth lies in the way Balenciaga Paris makes me feel, emotionally, which is so special- there is this odd familiarity bringing me back to memories spent at our lakehouse as a child, amid the moss, ferns and clover plants that would grow in the shade near the water. I spent so much time outside, drinking in the Spring and Summer air of our cozy lakehouse in Northern Massachusetts.

The strong memory of violets/moss/greenness permeating the air of all those humid Summers of my youth, is a scent that I now find extremely comforting. I feel so "at home" and at peace while wearing Paris and L'essence because wearing this scent becomes an experience of living in the moment, not just a 'subconscious scent for the day'. Not to mention the imagery present in the advertisements is so fitting and Charlotte Gainsbourg is so beautiful.

mapache
mapache

Tested and bought this today. Again, I state, that these type of scents...you need to let "evolve" on your skin,before final judgement. Spend a little "time" with it. Usually, with most chypres...this is needed..PATIENCE. I really am enjoying this classic...but modernized chypre. Thanks to Olivier Polge. I do get non-powdery violets....good....and just enough spiciness from the carnation and woody notes.
I find this can be unisex, but not in the typical masculine way. I am getting decent sillage/projection out of this scent so far.

EDIT: WOW !!! I am really loving this scent.....like I said...."patience"
Spend quality time with your scents !!! Get to know them, and let them get to know ....YOU !!!!
Love/Peace

EDIT: on the second wearing.....wore it all day/night. Sillage is great.
The unexpected thing to me is......the dry-down reminds me of the old classic men's scent......GREY FLANNEL !!!! But..I will say not 100 %.
This one is a more "feminine" Grey Flannel smell....but the evidence is there.

cstands
cstands

Balenciaga is so masterful at scent-blending! This one is no different. It balances floral, chypre woody and almost powdery notes so subtlely that none rise too far above the other, yet all sing in perfect harmony to create one overwhelmingly unique "blended" scent. I should add that the bottle is a work of art too.
I do pick out a green violet and the cedar. To me, the scent is whimsical - more about fairies and elves than picking violets out of grandma's cottage garden.
As the scent develops, the woody, almost mossy tones become stronger, yet retains a frail sweetness. Thankfully, not a whiff of patchouli on my skin (not a fan of that note!)
For comparison, I'm wearing "Balenciage Paris L'Essence" on my other wrist. The two are so very comparable in the opening, and while they retain similarities in the violet and woodiness throughout, Paris dries more woody, while L'Essssence dries down to a slightly more lemony scent with a hint of patchouli. Overall, L'Essence is slightly more powdery and subtle. I prefer the original. Longevity is better too, at around 8 hours, which is HUGE on me!
In summary, another subtle masterpiece that invited me to journey along (i.e. sniff often and deeply!!) to the end.
Edit... slightly warmer day today... can't believe the mandarin I'm smelling today??! I love it even more today. Need to find a way to get a bottle of this marvellous creation!

witchbaby777
witchbaby777

This is the most floral perfume I own and it's for the olfactive memory. The scent reminds me of going to Paris when I was 17. It's comforting and warm, but clean.

Venusia
Venusia

Wet violets and wood branches waiting to bloom, water vapors coming out of a green soil in a forest after rain is what I get. Not sweet, not bitter, patchouli is just a guess, no overwhelming freshness. Despite the low sillage and longevity it smells like real nature, classy, somehow mysterious and unique. I imagine the spring fee should be smelling like this. I love it!

Sebaht
Sebaht

This is my favorite perfume and I will always use it. It smells unlike anything else. This speaks confidence, sexy, and perfection. I just love it and it lasts all day.

tessaeastgate
tessaeastgate

Lovely, lovely violet. A little cold, and a stand-offish sort of fresh. Neither the powder nor the sweetness overpowers, so I can't imagine anyone being offended by it.

sassy_shamrock
sassy_shamrock

This was my blind buy 2 days ago after checking out the reviews on here & knowing I'm not a flower scent person lol. I have fallen head over heals for this scent! This violet that reminds me of thrills gum or parmaviolet candies from the UK - it's odd and hard to describe but it is definitely a scent I will wear for me. It's not harsh or in your face, it's soft & creamy, daydream like - almost alluring. Such a good blind buy...I went back for another bottle.

chanelnumerocinq
chanelnumerocinq

I thought I didn’t like this perfume for a long time. I always preferred the L’Essence flanker which is greener and more unique. I find that I now like Paris. I still don’t think it’s worth owning both Paris and L’Essence at the same time because they are still very similar.

Paris is a woody violet. Soft, dry, slightly powdery. The violet is a little sweet, but it’s NOT a fruity violet like many on the market already. This perfume is very ladylike and feminine. I think it’s a classy beautiful perfume for daytime or romantic dates. Much more minimal than any of Guerlain’s famous and popular violet perfumes but not a girlish Victorian style soliflore either. It's a modern take on violet.

Jurisprude
Jurisprude

I think this is a bit too generic to my taste. starts well but frankly this is a floral and nothing overtly special. I wanted to like it because I like the bottle. I may yet buy it because I think it makes a good perfume for work...overall the perfume is too forgettable. Well behaved and subtle. I would try on my skin first because on mine it lasted only four hours.

La DameDeNoir
La DameDeNoir

Typical example of what is called "olfative McGuffin".

Just nothingness in a flacon.

Also, it is another conspicuous example of what is wrong today in all designer's perfumes.

Take the name of a great designer, long time deceased. A beautiful flacon, reminiscent of the past. Beautiful, although somewhat gaunty-minimalistic- looking-modern publicity. And then, the juice. Oh, the juice, we haven't thought about it.

A very, very mild and weak floral-woody scent. Too soft, too fleeting. Slightly violet, slightly carnation. A faint laundry musk. And that is all. A safe thing, anoter crowd pleaser, marketed to young, fashionable women. And it is exactly the same with all the other new Balenciaga perfumes. Not really such bad, but not woth of Balenciaga's name (or the price tag).

And, in the meanwhile, what has happened with all the beautiful classic range of Balenciaga? Michelle? Le Dix? Ho Hang? Where are they now..?

Better, they should have spent efforts, money and time in relaunch all these wonders, instead of another boring, banal scent that nobody is going to remember in ten years.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

It's a woody, non-sweet scent, I dare say it's perfectly unisex. Probably because of the strong violet which reminds me of Fahrenheit quite a lot. And violet leaf with cedar. It's fresh and woody at the same time, long-lasting, avant-guarde but not loud. As regards patchouli - yes, there is some really delicate patchouli note in it - if you have ever smelled the pure natural essential patchouli oil, you'll know what I mean - this exotic woody scent. Nothing like the "patch" we think of in mainstream perfumes. That is nowhere near the natural. Here, in Balenciaga - IT IS!!! But you have to breathe this perfume in really closely and deeply in order to be able to smell it at all. If you dislike the real patchouli, don't worry - here it shouldn't be a problem really. It's a very peaceful and mind-clearing scent.
I recommend this scent to anyone who wants go get away from the mainstream or from their everyday perfumes, even if just for a while. It's a relaxing experience.

Jmalone84
Jmalone84

Tried this one paper and actually initially reminded me of Bvlgari Mon Jasmin Noir except multiplied by 10. So I obviously got jasmine or what I thought was neroli or tuberose (similar to amarige). Shocked to see it's supposed to be violet as I didn't get that at all. Need to retest obviously. Perhaps it is a unique combination of carnation, violet and patchouli that does this. I usually associate patchouli with Angel or Chopard Wish so its difficult to see this association. Hmmm...

kittybrmow
kittybrmow

This perfume is a very perfumey and gives me a headache. The patchouli in this is dominant.

ChaiLatte2009
ChaiLatte2009

Well behaved unisex violet. Cedar wood is very distinctive in the drydown. Modern, but vintage inspired. I have it, and wear it with pleasure when I'm in the mood for violets. Slightly melancholic and makes great fall perfume.

jovejove
jovejove

To my knowledge, the full line of Balenciaga is being discontinued...at least in Canada. I don't know about globally. Apparently it's not doing so well.

glitterglass
glitterglass

This is like someone I want to date because he looks good -- sophisticated, kinda European, worldly, well-groomed, urbane -- but know that we'll never really click once we get past the small talk and get to know each other. I'll longingly watch him from across the cafe table with his artistic scarf and tiny espresso cup and then longingly eye the "frites" on the menu. We just don't get each other.

I'll be honest: I really wanted to like this for stupid reasons, chief among them the packaging. I am absolutely in love with the composition of the bottle shape and stopper with its cracked-paint design.

I think it's a sophisticated and high-class fragrance, as ngmama says, but it's just not for me. It smells better on the sample card I spritzed than on my skin. It lies there on my bedside table, smelling elusively nice but distant. On my skin, there was something sickly-fresh for the first few hours, and now seven hours later I'm left with a straightforward spice I don't much like (cedar or patchouli, I'm guessing).

That said, I'm not much of one for scents that prominently feature spice unless they have something lush (floral) and sweet like vanilla to warm them up (Dior Addict and Tom Ford Black Orchid, to a lesser extent), and I think I'm coming to the realization that chypre is nauseating to me. (Oak Moss ... Charming in theory, kinda slimy and wet in execution. Something that literally doesn't see the light of day. Yeah, bottle that sh*t up!) Sooo, down on spice and down on the chypre. I guess it's not surprising that I'm not enamored. It's not the perfume's fault, poor thing. I just took a wrong turn.

On the plus side, if you do like it, is that longevity! I applied it before 6 pm and it's now 1 am ... I just had to scrub it off.

IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT, BALIENCIAGA PARIS. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

diamondsr4ever
diamondsr4ever

I should have reviewed this a long time ago but didn't get round to it. I love violet perfumes. I loved this perfume. It hit all the right notes for me. Nicely balanced, little bit too much carnation for my liking but it wouldn't have put me off. I never got the chance to find out how it would develop though. Within 15 minutes it had vanished in a wisp of smoke.
:((
Soo glad I got a decant because I would have been sorely tempted to blind buy this one. Saved by the non-existent longevity I suppose.

Babygia
Babygia

Very realistic lipstick fragrance. Ethereal, dreamy, light violet/fruity - pure summer pleasure.
The lipstick/make up smell is not very powdery,it is very lush and dewy.
Good longevity,moderate sillage.

Silvercat151
Silvercat151

This is a wonderful fragrance which I only recently discovered. I love that it's delicate but strong and that the notes work just right for me. I particularly love the violet and patchouli. It's quite different than most of my other perfumes. Oh and AngieGCarp, (and anyone else here who asks when and where to wear a perfume), as far as I am concerned I wear what I like when I feel like it. If it makes me feel good that's all that matters. I wear perfume for MY pleasure. If others like it too, so much the better but that's not going to influence what I wear when. Some days a fragrance will be exactly what I want or need, other days not so much - something else will be more appropriate for how I feel and want to feel. :)

ngmama
ngmama

I'm in a long, committed, relationship with Balenciaga Paris, although, we do see other people from time to time. I love the elegant, cool, almost cool-shoulder vibe this gives out. It's mature, gorgeous, and high-class. I hope I can wear this for years & years. I've heard it has been spotted at TJ Maxx on occasion. It can also be found on Groupon. Please, please perfume gods... don't discontinue this!!!! If you love violet fragrances, this is a must try.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I like it. I really do. Especially when compared side by side with Guerlain Insolence (had to trade that one out). BP is more earthy a bit dirtier than any other violet perfumes I have worn before. I love that there are not sweet elements added to mask the muskiness of the violet, cedar and patchouli (which is very minimal to me). It is super long lasting on me. My conundrum is this....where in the heck do I wear this? I don't work in an office or I might recommend it for this purpose....otherwise...where!? Thoughts?

lisarad
lisarad

I really really tried to like this...I mean, what's not to like? Spice, violets, cedar, a touch of patchouli. It is a lovely, kind-hearted scent. The first spritz was lovely. the middle notes were only there for just 30 minutes. And then it was a slightly blown powdery affair on me after 1 hour. Oh, saddness :( I think my dry cool skin ate it up. Sigh.

lotus and jasmine
lotus and jasmine

I find BP pretty linear- nicely green, crisp, clean, fresh. A light springtime scent that raises images of dew sparkling on leaves. A little too heavy on the synthetic fixative in the base (weirdly floral musk) to be a true love, but I do like this quite a lot. Nice, office safe, blind buy safe. Unlikely to blow anyone away.

EDIT: Later wearings in warmer weather resulted in a beautifully fresh, light, carnation/violet/vanilla dry down. Definitely a warm weather scent, comforting, sweet, soft, but with surprisingly good sillage considering how soft the scent is. This is now a love.

scent_traveler
scent_traveler

I notice sweet and fruity with light top notes, but it dries down into something warmer. I also caught a hint of cigarette smoke, which to my mind gives it it's urban edge.

Pleasant dry-down, gorgeous bottle.

chjena
chjena

Huge field of powdery violets, perfect for spring and very feminine. This bouquet could be carried by classy, elegant woman, who despite the rush decided to stop and buy violets to start the day well. Nice and non-complicated, for violets or floral lovers.

risarii
risarii

This is something a forest nymph or fairie would wear. It smells like a field of violets in Spring (maybe after a short rain shower.)

Non-candied Violet is the dominant note on me, mixed with powdery iris (even though it isn't listed; perhaps it's the carnation?) on a bed of non-screechy patchouli. It really is a beauty and fits perfectly with vintage Balenciaga. Very feminine, classic but modern and it smells like expensive French makeup. Perfect for Spring but would be nice and uplifting in Winter.

prettyswag
prettyswag

I have tried to like this because its soft and classy..but the iris or some note in it , i cant stand. So its a no go for me, i hate the drydown it gets on my nerves , a tired feeling it gives. Quite a bore. Good for a classy church woman .

ktyhan
ktyhan

Classy and feminine... very well blended... high quality.

YunitaArien
YunitaArien

This perfume reminds me of nature beauty. The scent is whimsical, its not complex like angel by Thierry Mugler or something like shalimar by Guerlain. This is a simple beautiful fragrance, "Perfection in Simplicity" thats how I would describe. This takes me to untouched Indonesian island.... Fresh water, fresh air, beautiful tropical flowers, beautiful stones... This is a simply beautiful fragrance.

Perfumedsecrets

@ Vintagevixen, the women of Downton wear Yardley Lily of the Valley, but I imagine they'd wear this in modern times. :)

Wonderlamb
Wonderlamb

Balenciaga turns beautiful on me: creamy, soft and feminine. I had tried it on many times when it first came out but I never bought it as I was exploring other scents but I wanted it. And one day this girl came sitting next to me at a café I think she poured half of the bottle on herself because I couldn't stand it I had a massive headache as a result. I had to leave with my coffee. Eww. Needless to say I buried this perfume in my head and never thought about it except on my trips to sephora or something I was admiring the gorgeous bottle. So today I gave it another try and I like it like I did before. I am not crazy about it but it is nice and classy. I have other perfumes that I prefer but this one could be a nice addition to my humble collection. I just dont want a huge bottle of it. 30ml would suffice.

chanka
chanka

Beautiful, rich, original interesting,elegant, special
Love it
I really cant describe the smell
Little bit woody?
Very strong and long lasting ..
But i cant put too much close to my head-face .. its too heavy
Special perfume for special women
Day and night perfume , all seasons
For me more for occasions and evennings... elegant
One of my favorite
I don't feel nothing powdery at all

Smellyfaerie
Smellyfaerie

To my nose, Balenciaga Paris is not a chypre floral, but a green floral fragrance. A beautiful one: quiet, soft, delicate and discreet. In other words, if you want your perfume to make a statement, maybe this one is not for you.

The list of notes includes bergamot, spices, pepper, violet, carnation, oakmoss, cedar, vetiver, patchouli and labdanum. The most distinctive notes, right upon spritzing, are bergamot and violet leaves. The violet flower comes in the drydown, if you wear it in colder weather (when this one warms up on the skin, the carnation note can easily overpower the violet).

It doesn’t get exactly powdery, as one would expect of anything with violets. But it gets mellower during mid to late dry down: creamy and earthy, as in a muted woody base. It’s easy to wear in all seasons, but I do prefer it in warm weather (probably because my wardrobe already has too many violets, but just a few "easy" carnations).

Balenciaga Paris has low sillage, you won’t project anything unless you bathe in it. But the longevity is great (10+ hours). It’s the kind of perfume you may forget you spritzed, until the breeze blows the right way.

Just the record... the cap doesn't look like an 18th century vase in person. It actually looks cheap, which is a shame, since the glass bottle is really pretty. But I don't hang my perfumes around my neck or out them up for display, so it really doesn't matter.

I usually love violet note in perfumes, but violet leaf is not one of my favorites. It smells bitter and unpleasent to me.
Couldn't possibly spray it on myself.
Fresh, but in annoying way.

tittertat
tittertat

Love love! Love the bottle, and the delicate dewy violet with just a hint of spice at the beginning.
This is what a meadow fairy would smell like with purple wings, frolicking in the mosses and flowers. ITs pristine, ethereal and fresh. This is not a candied violet but a living, garden violet in the sun. If you like violet and slightly green fresh scents this is for you!

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

I picked this up on a whim, and I am very glad that I did. Balenciaga Paris is quite a lovely perfume, elegant, a touch pensive, a fine bridge between old classic violet perfumes and the contemporary viewpoint. It doesn't feel like a chypre to me, but woody-floral or floral green in character.

There is a pleasingly green side to this scent, which I presume is the violet leaf coming to the fore. The violet flower is more pronounced a bit later in wear, and feels very true to nature overall. The woody aspect is subtle but consistent. Patchouli is subdued, seeming only to underline the wood.

This perfume reminds me of both Tom Ford's "Violet Blonde" and "Lolita Lempicka", among other scents. On my shelves, it it kept beside those two perfumes and beside Prada's "Infusion d'Iris", because I reach for those in a certain mood. I think I prefer this Balenciaga to the "Violet Blonde", actually; it seems less artificial or synthetic.

It lasts reasonably well, and even longer on fabric. With a bit of body heat, sillage increases, and you may be surprised by wafts of delicious scent hours into wearing. I find that I am reaching for this perfume often since acquiring it, and wearing it with great pleasure. It is both solid, in terms of its construction and quality, and translucent feeling, like a diamond with light playing on it...

Martaynd

A CLASSIC! I consider myself a fragrance connoisseur and this is a MUST-have in a fragrance collection. She is all lady, refined, timeless, elegant, attractive, confident; at times, serious, but fun, not funny. She is NOT to be toyed with. She is polo matches, brunch, high tea, weddings, and such. She turns a head when you catch a whiff of her passing by. She is sunshine or rain, and better on warmer days, but can show off on colder days too. She stays true to herself and does not change much from person to person. YOU may think her a snob, but all those who KNOW her, love her. Paris is 4/4 for all the reasons above more.

layla7658
layla7658

Really sophisticated & classy to me! The best for a sexy chic, day or night appearance.

SouthernBelle158
SouthernBelle158

I am on a bit of a perfume buying binge right now with Florabotanica, Carven, and Paris as recent purchases. I love them all but Paris evokes memories while the others just smell really good. Paris takes me back to my first perfume, Chanel No. 5, gifted to me by my late grandmother. I felt so pretty in it but it felt old to me. Fast forward 30 years later to Paris, and I feel pretty and grown up in it. I adore violet scented anything, so this was a no brainier purchase. Little did I know how much I would like the softness of it and the femine feeling it gives me. It's like Chanel and Prada had a baby girl. It's reminisce of Prada's Iris, yes but softer and cleaner to me.

Amanaiara
Amanaiara

Balenciaga Paris is a beautiful fragrance!
It's very well balanced, sophisticated and discreet.
The perfume starts creamy, then the violet and violet leaf appear with a gorgeous green note. The woods are tamed, even the patchouli.
BP lasts about 6h and stays close to the skin, that makes this fragrance very easy to wear. BP is my new darling!

KJS88
KJS88

Elegant, sophisticated. Iris and violets with subtle but tenacious green notes and aldehydes. Balenciaga isn't powdery so much as soft and feminine. It smells substantially the same throughout its development, only becoming mellower and plusher as it dries down.

This is violet an iris done in the style of the grand dame parfums of yesteryear, only not as strong, sweet, or heady.

knit_at_nite
knit_at_nite

ozonic

I have been on FG for 5 years now and still can't figure out who comes up with these "Main Accords". Ozonic? Aquatic? R U kidding?
What it is on my skin- a muted modern chypre, built around non-candied violet and carnation (which adds a touch of spice) and some woodiness. Not an extraordinary breakthrough scent, just a very wearable pretty scent you can throw on and still feel "finished".
It is only very slightly powdery: the remarks about it being a powder bomb must be coming from people who prefer bubble gum top notes.
As always, it's only my opinion and YMMV.

mitsuki44
mitsuki44

I wanted to love this perfume, but I find the dry-down to be very, very intense on my skin. To my nose (I'm a perfume newbie, so take this review with a grain of salt!), it opens fresh and light, with a tiny bit of creaminess to it. I love how the perfume smells at this point and wish it could last longer - however, as it wears longer on my skin, it gains more depth and turns into a darker, richer, more mature scent. I used only a light spray on my wrist, but it really fills the room with the scent - beware wearing this in small rooms, as it is very concentrated and can be overwhelming to some people!

I think I am looking for something that smells a little "younger" and more sheer; for the moment, this will not be my signature fragrance. I would love to revisit this in a couple of years though!

Scent Scenario:

I picture a sophisticated lady wearing this while wrapped up in a cashmere scarf on a brisk winter day. She is impeccably dressed, poised, quietly confident and self-assured, ready to take on the world.

Overall Rating: 4/5

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

I was auditioning this to be my new March perfume of the month, but it did not beat out Annick Goutal's La Violette. The violets here are nice, but in a warm base that makes it smell less spring-y. It is pretty, extremely well-mannered, and definitely suitable for the office. I was looking for more exuberance and sparkle. Honestly, it would take a remarkable perfume to make me overcome the reluctance that the bottle's ugly lid inspired in me.

rossiniopera
rossiniopera

I enjoyed Balenciaga Paris last summer, with its dreamy violets and carnations. I thought it was so beautiful in rainy weather... (agree with reviewer below, more woody floral than powdery).

But when I wore it again this year, I just couldn't appreciate it as much anymore. It was the same, it had not changed. But since last year, I've sniffed, sampled and worn so many quality vintage perfumes that it has – sadly – changed my opinion on some of my earlier scents. I guess I've learned to love old school, mossy chypres, and I find that the modern patchouli chypres just can't quite live up to them.

I still think that Balenciaga Paris is pretty. I do still like it. I just love others more now...

Sylvie-Aus
Sylvie-Aus

The first scent i got on me was cedar, fairly strong and exquisite. Then violet comes out , one of the best violet scent I came across . I did not found it " powdery " , floral and woody , definitely ! It is without a doubt a good quality fragrance ! For anyone whom loves those notes, I have to say it is a most try / have , impressive !

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

fresh, airy, ethereal,powdery iris and violet, this is what I want Volupte to smell like, this is veryy classic and classy.

angiebutterfly
angiebutterfly

Ankali's review is spot on - couldn't have said it better myself.

I think her explanation is why I'm enamoured with this perfume. I'm far from a powdery scent wearer, so I was hesitant to try it. But my goodness is this breathtaking and I am glad I did. It's such an airy and light powder that is familiar yet fresher and less harsh or sharp. This is powdery floral well done! It made me realize the beauty in violets. Balenciaga perfumes are terrific at balancing the old-fashioned with modernity (such as this perfume) or making them bold yet wearable (such as Rosabotanica); they feel almost dreamlike. I think that's why they're one of my favorite fragrance houses, despite such a small collection to choose from. I will definitely purchase a bottle of Balenciaga Paris this coming year.

ankali
ankali

I really like how Balenciaga managed to take such an old-fashioned flower as the violet and create with it a truly modern perfume. Elegant, airy, intelligent, and sophisticated, this is a great work perfume for me -- it seems like it's for a busy lady who nonetheless has the sense to appreciate beauty and incorporate it into her daily life.

OfTheNight
OfTheNight

Balenciaga is a really nice and well made floral fragrance. When I first smelt it, i thought to myself "This reminds me of my Mother" the image of her was just so apparent and so clear in my mind as i smelt this on my skin when i first tested it. Keep in mind though I didn't test this until last year in December so it wasn't like this was the first time I had smelt this, but it was the first time I had been in such intimate contact with this fragrance.

On my skin it's like a lush, almost wet mix of Violet flowers and Violet leaf. It's such a perfect balance between floral and green and there is that hint of carnation which I really love as well. What I love most though is when the cedar steps in on my skin and it sort of amplifies the fragrance- it actually gives the scent a bit of a masculine quality which I like because on my clothes it smells very feminine but on my skin it's very masculine so it's almost as if i'm wearing 2 different scents- but they work harmoniously with each other.

Overall I think this is a fantastic fragrance- I think if you like Violets then you will love this one :) It's powdery, a bit sweet, a bit green and it's just really pleasant and has a sophistication and an ease about it which I really appreciate.

Reese1861
Reese1861

I really wanted to love this but it just didn't work for me. I sold it on Ebay. There is a harshness to it that just makes me recoil.

andabri

This is a very gorgeous scent. Smells like bathing with an exquisitely expensive luxe french milled bar of strong violet scented soap, then putting on a splash of a light, airy, spicy, equally beautiful aftershave. The finishing touch would be a dusting of floral face powder.
(Even though I say aftershave it is a very feminine scent.)

I'm not one who normally likes to use scents to "create" a fantasy story, but this just screams of being for a lady dressing up to the nines and attending an event at a classic, old-school glamor hotel. Very sophisticated and a "special occasion" type scent. Mature and sophisticated, but in no way "old lady".

babykays
babykays

i really don't care when people say "this is not balenciaga", what are you going to do about it?
balenciaga or not, this smells wonderful.
the notes are well blended and amazing. i am in love.
my favourite violet perfume so far. i didn't even know that i love violet until now.
beautiful!

carlayorke

I believe this is could become an enduring classic due to its pretty blend of scents.
I also think as other reviewers have written that the topper is a bizarre little plastic soccer ball. After all the effort put into this beauty, why the dreadful lid??!If I do get some, I might toss that out.
However this is an elegant and unusual perfume!
I do find it soft and weak. I'd have to bathe in it or reapply +++.
But as I read on another person's review about another fragrance, "then the story can unfold again".
It's like a lovely poem you might read on a hill in summer that gets you thinking and wandering through memories.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is a soft but persistent fragrance, that I personally find to be both a treasure, and unusual. I don't smell it often on others and I think these notes together, the moss and the violet, with the added cedar, certainly make it an antique scent, as so beautifully attested on the Sephora website. It is evocative of erstwhile glamour.

It reminds me of an old cedar box, opening it to find a grandmother's jewellery, or the wonder of a cupboard filled with beautiful garments from a woman in 1930's Paris, whose fragrance is still clinging to the fabrics. That's why it's named so for me - it's a vintage fragrance to be sure, and it's wholly feminine and airy, and evocative of the quiet romance of such a city.

It's an intimate smell, though the sillage carries well enough. I really quite like it.

I see.. A midnight café in Montmarte, a silk scarf in my hair, eating an aromatic slice of cake, my bicycle leaning against a post out on the street waiting for me, writing post cards and spritzing this on them before sending them across the oceans.

LoveMeDo7
LoveMeDo7

If Downton Abbey had a signature fragrance, this would be it.
Elegant and clean
Proper and pristine
Calm and well-mannered
"Yes, a cup of tea would be lovely."

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

I've had a sample of this sitting amongst others that I acquired in a swap some years ago, and hadn't really thought to try this until now. Boy, am I late to the party!

The violet note in Balenciaga Paris is reminiscent to me of the top notes in Yves Saint Laurent Paris--beautifully lucid with almost a silky, subtly banana-like finish.

It's also the closest fragrance I have smelled to Guerlain Tokyo with it's common ethereal violet note. When that runs out (now sadly discontinued and expensive), I may have to replace it with Balenciaga Paris.

I love the balance between classic and contemporary in this floral beauty. Simple, yet completely unexpected with cool, graceful refinement.

lesgalaxies
lesgalaxies

My favorite violet perfume right now! Wearing this right now and catching whiffs of myself -- I have to say, I feel freakin sexy! Mature, but cool and refined -- not for little girls or the faint of heart. It's soft but the cedar/patchouli edge make this sharp and clear. I want to say.. bitchy. Yeah, she feels like an icy, sexy bitch.

Longevity and sillage are perfectly balanced -- I don't waft clouds but I am distinctly scented ;)

Love love love! Modern, mature and refined. Perfect!

Lana148
Lana148

Fabulous powdery perfume. Powder is predominant note and then spicy, light green-floral follows. Very modern, sophisticated smell with a classic perfumey notes. I appreciate it very much, but my love for "powdery" fragrance belongs to Prada Infusion d'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue :)

gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr

it is beautiful just beautiful!

alevesque3
alevesque3

I got a small sample of this with a Sephora purchase. I love it so much, but it gives me a headache. :( I love it enough that sometimes I just pop some Advil and wear it anyway.

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

This was rather odd on me. I've always liked violet notes, and florals that aren't too sweet, so I thought this would be a good choice. Unfortunately not on me-the top notes are lovely, a very distinct violet, no sharp alcohol on dry down, but a mature, rounded soft floral. However, within 5 minutes-honestly, as quick as that!-it turned into soap. It reminds me of the little fancy guest soaps my grandmother used to have in the bathroom that no one was ever allowed to use-a generic, floral, creamy soap. There are no harsh notes, its not unpleasant, but its just soap. I smell nice and clean and feminine and very slightly powdery, but like I've just finished the housework and washed up. I also get a very faint hint of wood that makes me think that I must have done some polishing whilst doing the housework, but none of the carnation or clove spice. Its gentle, feminine, clean and pleasant, but a bar of soap would be far cheaper and give me exactly the same scent.

Eirlys
Eirlys

There are classic perfumes like No.5 and Shalimar that have this vintage aura about them, and then there is Balenciaga Paris, which is the epitome of a modern perfume. When I first spray it on, I can smell a blast of carnation. About 2 minutes later, the violet note becomes prominent and it stays there for the rest of the time. Maybe that's what makes this perfume so urban.

The perfume lasts about 5 hours on my skin, which is not very long lasting for a EDP, but it's still great. It reminds me of the L'eau Rose because there's a hint of spicy note in both of them, but Paris is more modern. I would say this perfume is perfect for a confident person who is not afraid of anything that might come in their way.

polkadot27
polkadot27

I love this one, I wish i could afford it right now! It reminds me of the Gucci gardenia/magnolia scents. It has the same feel not the same smell as that line. The violet it multidimensional it starts of floral then becomes aquatic/ozonic then settles into a powder. It is beautiful floral violet with green freshness. It's uplifting and elegant in a classy but casual way. I love the bottle it is simple and understated yet unique also. I feel a million dollars when i wear this sophisticated sexy scent, i cannot wait to own this and have the bottle on my chest of drawers. I better start saving. Yes it is expensive but no other scent is like it, no other fragrance can work violet like this one. It's just well put together, a lot of fragrances are generic and overpriced for the quality. But not this one; you are getting originality, high quality and sophistication for your money.

Playtime
Playtime

I get very melancholy whenever I smell this. It reminds me of a past, not my own, but of someone I might know well. It feels very familiar but not part of me.As if I am present as an observer whilst someone close is reminiscing.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Balenciaga Paris is a well crafted scent, a modern twist on a classic. This is a very unisex scent and in fact I think it would be much better on a man than on my skin.

I wish I smelled the gorgeous things everyone describes but my skin does not mix well with Balenciaga Paris. On my skin the carnation dominates and gets stronger and more sour smelling with every passing hour. The woods are beautiful, especially the cedar. However, I think violet, too much carnation and too much patchouli just do not mix well on my skin. I have tried this fragrance a few times off and on since it was released, each time hoping to love it, and it just doesn't work for me. On my skin it's a carnation and patch bomb with the violet smelling almost sickeningly sweet in the background. The cedar is nice, but it's runined for me by the patch/carnation/violet combination. This is far too much like an old school chypre for me (and yes, it's a modern chypre). Thankfully there are other violets that work well for me.

Jewelsie42
Jewelsie42

This is the first violet perfume that I've found that is not too sweet. It is clean and has a "coldness" to it that I just love. Reminds me of a finely milled French soap from a high end Parisian hotel. This is a compliment getter, every time I wear it someone comments on how pretty I smell. It just blends with my skin chemistry so well, I''m in love with it!!! The violet powdery cloud stays with me all day and dries down to a woody, earthy base that is sexy and sophisticated. I purchased this bottle at a popular discount store for a song and WOW-what a bargain!!! It smells incredible and the bottle itself is very cool, edgy - a collector's prize. I'll definitely be going back to pick up some more!! This is the perfect Springtime fragrance, but I imagine it can be worn all year round. It just seems very fresh and spring-like to me though. Perfect for right now. I needed something new, something bright and pleasant and this fits the bill. The sillage is just right, it leaves a lovely scented trail following 2 feet behind me and lasts a good long while, at least 8 hours. I feel like I have hopped on the Concord and taken a little break from the dregs of winter and been transported to springtime in Paris. What more could you ask from a perfume?

C_Jai

Very ethereal. Seductive. A pretty balance of powder, spice, floral, and fresh. I imagine water nymphs must smell like this.

ecerusen
ecerusen

woow... just wooow.
it feels like a little walking in forest. you can smell nature in it but with a hint of womanity. its womanity isnt sexy/seductive. it is mature, consistent womanity.
this perfume create a shocking effect at the first smell. and its bottle is also amazing.

Hellita
Hellita

This smells fantastic! It doesn't work with my chemistry (turns sour) but I have to smell the bottle when I'm in the perfume store. I sprayed it in my hair to keep it from reacting with my body chemistry, and that was very enjoyable! Unfortunately I can't wear this, but if this works for your chemistry it's beautiful! To me it smells like white florals (but I'm not an expert on notes) Maybe it's the patchouli or the Virginia Cedar that reminds me of white flowers? Anyway, MMmmh :)

gabri
gabri

I found this tiny bottle at Marshall's and I could not resist buying it.It's a powdery violet cloud , so sweet and charming.First time I try a Balenciaga perfume.

nasus s
nasus s

I'll never have a signature scent, but this has made it to my top tier rotation. I smelled it on two separate women in summertime and could not get over how beautiful I found it on them. In winter it still smells just as fantastic. It just works anytime, and for someone with waaay to many choices in their collection I do not get bored with wearing it. For me that's a huge win. It's that last thing you would put on to feel stunning whether you are wearing it with say a silk dress, or even with a leather jacket, sweater and jeans.

I may be drawn toward scents with violet as I have enjoyed wearing a lot of different perfumes with violet already over the years (insolence, violette angel, love in black), yet this one stands out in a classic sophisticated way. I almost thought I was over doing it buying violet perfumes for awhile years ago and got bored wearing some scents, but this is really just so light and bright I had to cave and finally purchase it. The notes listed really do harmonize well. Plus it stays close to the skin for hours. I get mostly violet & cedar, but in a way that is more mellowed out by the patchouli (which almost doesn't make sense to me as patchouli is usually what I pick up and love first). Anyway, I'm really glad to have this in my collection now. It's beautiful. I would definitely recommend it unless you strongly dislike all violet related notes.

janella13
janella13

All I know is this scent is one of my favorites. LOVE IT.
And when things get crazy at work, I just take a deep sniff and life is good.

Perfume is my escape.

Germany
Germany

Paris, along with the green version , are my favourites amongst violet fragrances. They are so realistic and well done, I will always love them. . I find both very special and extremely well made. A fresh realistic violet, dry down is fantastic as well , strong and long lasting and finally unique!!
Anyone who loves that old school vibe and violets would love this fragrance. The light bottle is more floral ,and the green is more masculine and green, but in my opinion. not for men. It's too feminine still, however it has that feel of poudre chanel 19 with a violet accent. So pleasant.

Jerine123

Just a quick note after checking matty64 comments, I agree, Olivier Polge is a master and did not realize that many of my absolute favorites are by him! Wow go look at his fragrance contributions, so surprised. He will definitely be on my radar for his next, very impressed!

matty64
matty64

My favorite from Balenciaga. Just yummy, love it! I didn't realize that I have so many perfumes by Olivier Polge until I looked up all of his creations under his name. Excellent work Olivier!

Jerine123

Love Love Love this fragrance! Think of a Violet lady like elegant scent that will dry down to a warm high end floral. Creamy and powdery dry down with the violet tastefully lingering and melding with the carnation to keep the momentum going.mmmmmmmmmm.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is the most enchanting little scent that evolves into the most beautiful ultra purple cloud. Soft and powdery, I get nothing but pure violet. A sweet, feminine,old fashioned scent, high class.
A very beautiful violet composition,this is a soliflore to me. I want this on my vanity...
Refined soft violet swansdown powder puffs...heavenly!

I also love this perfume because of it's simplicity. It is not to sweet or sugary, just a soft simple straight forward powdery violet ;)
Such a sweet little perfume;)

UPDATE I just received this in the mail yesterday as a gift set and noticed the most beautiful phase of cedar I have ever encountered that wasn't present in the sample I got. It is the most fresh, alive pine-y smelling cedar, like walking through a forest of cedars in the gently falling snow...just lovely. I wish that phase lasted longer, but nevertheless this is a truly lovely perfume experience.

Oh my gosh how I love this!

Lovesmells
Lovesmells

I saw this yesterday and wished I had it now :( Oh Santa, I've been a good girl, leave this under my tree.

Being from Spanish descent, I can tell you that I am not surprised that it's about violets and carnation

I kind expect that from Spanish perfumes, same like for Puig fragrances, right?

happy holidays to all of you and happy, prosperous and healthy 2014

SayakaP
SayakaP

Tried this for the first time on my skin today.
I was surprised because it smelled familiar.

The first hour was similar to my beloved Chanel No.5 (the MIDDLE NOTE without the Aldehyde).
After that, almost identical to Chanel No.19 Poudre which was my wedding day fragrance.
Powdery and gently Musky. Very lady-like.

So, there's no way I dislike this one.
I don't think I personally need to buy a bottle cos I've got two above, but this is elegant, classy & wearable scent.

YanaYanaYana
YanaYanaYana

Sophisticated and refined. Class in a bottle.

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

I tried this on a card. I don't get the woody accords others pick up: just the sweetness of violets.

bluebluefrog
bluebluefrog

I really wanted to love this! It smells lovely- a light, fresh and pretty violet. Maybe even a teeny bit masculine, like a clean green. I am just disappointed in the longevity, it seems to fade very quickly on me. I agree with most of the earlier posts - it is very lovely, perfect for a daytime scent, and extremely elegant. I just feel for the cost, it should have a bit more staying power.

dkny27
dkny27

Delicious violets, green leaves and purple flowers, oozing rain drops, wisps of sun and fragrance. Imagine the flowers as slightly dainty. But the cedar, the deep complimentary cedar brings the whole fragrance to a new depth. Walking in the woods or fine dining with rich cabernet, Balenciaga has created a masterpiece for ages.....

mudpach
mudpach

No another words: masterpiece! What a light, elegant, beautiful scent. Great work!

aym
aym

On the scent strip it was a bit complex with several different notes competing but on me
I smell nothing but violets. Not for me.

Naji great review below says it all really.
I'm not adverse to violets in fact I have quite a few fragrances where violet is at the forefront but non more so than this...distinctly feminine there's no way this could ever be considered unisex.
I only tried it because I was given a tester and it looked interesting, smells very good indeed and settles down quickly which I like.
Also the violet note is a blend of leaf & flower and as such has a rounded and accurate smell to it, not overly sweet or synthetic but very subtle and grown up.
This is the dictionary definition of 'powdery'. Naturally this is far too feminine for me, too linear and very little woods in the base...but that's okay. I can still appreciate it as a fine fragrance and will be recommending and passing the sample onto my friend as she loves violets.

Naji
Naji

If you have disturbing associations with violets, then this is not for you.

Soon after it's launch, I bought it blind on a transatlantic flight because the understated bottle lured me into spending more than the open market (duty free is a myth!) and violets I adore. Since that historic flight I've hoarded Paris!

Paris is not labyrinthine, as are a lot of my niche scents. The notes come together blissfully and present a curvy and smooth offering, like a Henry Moore sculpture. To me it's a classical scent very timeless and evocative of Anais Nin days. Violet reigns supreme, leaf or flower, but gathers cedar, patchouli and gentle carnation to its bosom in a seamless sweep. It's a sister scent to Bottega Veneta: both are related but dissimilar. I love both.

ajmom
ajmom

When I first got my bottle of Balenciaga Paris, I had intentions of wearing it as my special occasion perfume. I thought it wasn't sweet enough for my taste, but yet sophisticated. I have since changed my attitude towards this fragrance. It reads like dry white wine. I love it! I never have to be in the mood for it, as with other SWEET fragrances of mine. I can wear with such ease as my everyday scent. It is violets all the way, with a nice mix of cedar in the base. More of a skin scent that lingers throughout the day. I feel like a cool ice princess with this one!

macheprofumo
macheprofumo

CLEAN, SHARP AND ELEGANT. FOR THE SOPHISTICATED WOMEN

aigilia
aigilia

Just tested this perfume..one of the most elegant and luxury scent that i've ever known..at first sprayed it was fresh floral then drydown became nice powdery scent..lovely and sophisticated;-)

nellyrlight@aol.com

I absolutely love this! Very unique--and different--flowery powdery feel with a little bit of bitterness that brings such freshness!

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

OMG.. I just used half of the free sample vial that was included in an order on my right wrist and inner/outer forarm, about 6 or 7 sprays.. and it smelled so good. a half hour has gone by and it has totally disappeared.

aqua76239
aqua76239

I like carnation so this was a better beginning that their other scent that I reviewed. You get very slight powder note in the beginning, no doubt from violet. I can't say that I smell patchouli at all, its mostly about carnation on the base of woodsy notes which smells rather warm and elegant.
alas, I find this scent just as weak as the other flanker. It sits close to the skin and doesn't project well at all. In this case I don't think its my chemisty because it smells the same on tester strip. I do like , and if this was stronger I would consider buying it. I like scent that leaves a trail and this definately NOT it

andabri

This opens with a beautiful sweet violet scent. Then I definitely start smelling the cedar and carnation notes. It's like smelling a forest filled with flowers after a rain covered in a light layer of powder. The patchouli must be coming through as a wet earthy note on my skin.
I think some will perceive this as being a bit masculine so I would label it as a unisex fragrance. I find it quite pleasant!

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

I'm a huge fan of violets so i was happy to have a chance to try this. It opens indeed with violets, slightly plastic like but still pleasant. Unfortunately in the dry down cedar is coming on the podium putting all the other ingredients in the shadow. It gets too masculine on my skin. However i would love to smell it on others. It's classy and elegant perfume which suits all the seasons.

valerie.aardahl
valerie.aardahl

This is a very beautiful and elegant fragrance. For me this is a fall fragrance that suits workplace or some serious occasions. And yet, this scent is anything but boring. It is dark, beautiful and mysterious. And it is perfect to liven up the gray working days, in his own unique way

millie1980
millie1980

This is a pleasant, elegant daytime fragrance. It is chypre, but not at all harsh - it's just that it avoids being particularly sweet or flowery. Very easy to wear and would suit a variety of occasions.

arxsyn
arxsyn

I find this to be a very cool, chic, fresh, crisp floral. On my my skin it is overwhelmingly, intense in a clean, freshly laundered manner. It must contain white musk. It is powdery, but the cold, metallic, dewy/wet effect of the violets produces a granular type, as opposed to a finer grade. Imagine powder laundry detergent getting moistened with drops of water.
Underneath that is a warmer woody blend of "carnation", but extremely subtle.

Reminds me of Chanel's Chance flankers but not as smooth

Edit:
Tried this several times but I'm still not sold on it. As much as I adore the gorgeous opening of wet, cool and clear violet sweetness.... I don't like that metallic sharpness coupled with musk. It's like chemical detergent/laundry powder that could potentially give me a migraine if I'm not careful. besides, the laundry association sort of cheapens it for me. I'm not saying laundry powder smell is unpleasant, it's meant to be the opposite, however in expensive perfumes I don't want it to evoke the banality of household chores! I just remembered I don't even use fabric softener. If needed I substitute with white vinegar in the rinse... Maybe my dislike for ubiquitous laundry musk if more deep rooted than I thought!

The positive is of course the musk makes perfume last longer as a base ingredient and this perfume would do well with the modern gentleman because the intense clean freshness is pretty much in every typical, modern cologne.

As for myself, I'm sticking with my cool, aloof chanel no 19 with it's expensive triple milled marseille soap smell.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

I bought this scent blindly based on an article in Allure magazine. It described it as "a violet filled boudoir in Paris." I did not look up the notes, and I did not look at any of the advertisements. I wanted to have my own opinion, rather than an expectation of the noses' opinion. I wanted to see what would happen when we met.

For me, violets are an extremely sentimental smell. They remind me of my grandmother's best friend, Ida, an extremely beautiful and outspoken redhead, who wore the absolute most elegant 1940s clothes I have ever seen and she ALWAYS smelled like fresh violets. Every time she visited us, that scent would linger for hours, and I would imagine myself as elegant and beautiful as her. It was the first time I truly understood the idea of having a signature look and a signature scent, and how, when done correctly, could evoke such vivid images of the person.

This scent brought all of those memories of Ida back to me, except in a fresher, cleaner, newer way. In time, it softened into a soft sexy boudoir scent. I imagined vintage french silk lingerie from the 1920's; like something Anais Nin would wear.

Nothing can replace my Chanel No. 5 as my signature scent, because it's my grandmother's and my mother's scent, and I am too sentimental to change, but this one is now my number 2 favorite. It's so nice to fall in love again with a new scent, and to think it was a "blind date"!!

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

A year ago my husband and I spent a day in Stanford. We love it there! Great restaurants, fun museums, excellent shopping. It was my birthday. We tested fragrances, then walked some more, then tested other stuff... He understands how perfumes are important to me and we were looking for something new we would both love. We chose Balenciaga! :) It starts with a hint of floral notes, very elegant, not overpowering, develops into gently "tea like" herbal scent, with some "roots" for strength. I keep reviewing its list of notes. The notes are so beautifully blended, that Balenciaga truly feels like "one", instead of a combination of its parts. I am so happy wearing it on a day off, it keeps me going at work, I can also wear it in evening, as a highly elegant evening perfume, that would go great with a black silk dress. It came in a black pouch and since I bought a small bottle, I often carry it in my purse for additional spritz in the afternoon. It beautifully layers over my other fragrances.

sasny
sasny

Chypres are not really my thing, but for a chypre, it's pretty good. I would definitely say it's for a mature woman, and maybe also an evening smell. I wouldn't call it "fresh" but it's definitely clean, and no-nonsense. It has a unique, expensive smell. Someone else mentioned it smelling like a 90's fragrance, and I would agree. It's got a strong presence. Bottle's not bad either. Original. Overall, a good floral chypre. I wouldn't normally wear this, but if I were held down and forced to wear it, it wouldn't be torture.

Martaynd

Fresh, floral, lovely, pretty. This makes me think of Sunday dress up. I agree it is more romantic than sexy. I have waaayyyy too many gourmands in my collection. I wanted a strict floral for this year's warm weather and this hit the mark. The fragrance will evolve on you and be unique to your chemistry. For me, it faded, but lingered if that makes since. 8 hrs later I can still smell it, but in a haunting way, like when the breeze brushes past my skin I smell it again and I think, how pretty, Oh, that's me! Paris is like a friend that keeps doing nice things for you, even when you don't ask them to. Some fragrances are 'ever present' while you wear them they are always there and never go away. Not this one. She comes and goes. I love it!!!!

Justine Song
Justine Song

it is one of my favorite! very summer, very fresh and feminine. the bottle is lovely as well. so many good memory in it

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Pure violets and powdery freshness. Nice, but reminds me as all perfumes of this nature do, of chewing on Parma Violet sweets as a kid. Not my bag but lovely for someone who likes things simple and uncluttered.

movs
movs

Balenciaga Paris makes me think of Paris by YSL. It doesn't smell like Paris by YSL but the bottle is almost just as pretty and feminine and I get the same crisp, fresh and sweet floral feeling from Balenciaga. While the YSL fragrance is a floral, Balenciagas Paris is without doubt a chypre. Even though theres a good deal of patchouli in this perfume, I don’t find the patchouli dominating or harsh.

When I spray this perfume the first impression I get is high quality hair shampoo. After a while the scent becomes more woody as dewy violets and violet leaves mixed with patchouli shines through and the scent becomes more chic.
I don’t think it has so much sillage and on my skin it doesn’t last very long.

If L’Essence is the fresh, sporty and natural sister of the Balenciaga family, Balenciaga Paris is the romantic and ladylike sister. It is crisp and elegant in a classic way and I find it more romantic than sexy.

In 3 words: SWEET – ROMANTIC - CRISP

katarinacza
katarinacza

Powdery strong scent for evening in my opinion. I don't agree it's suitable only for women after their thirties, but it can give a headache if you're not into powdery scents. It's super long lasting in my opinion (when I wore it to the party I could smell it the next morning). For sure it's something for violets lover. For me it's working as perfume for evening occasions, as I believe it's to heavy for a daytime.

kvext
kvext

This is a clean scent. It reminds me of my Nonno's soap and shaving products.

Debshee
Debshee

Seems more like a 90's fragrance. I immediately thought of Champagne (now called Yvresse). I prefer cleaner and fruiter scents.

patriciamarcella
patriciamarcella

Got it in miniature edition, for EDP version. I like the smell since the first spray. Though it might be a bit strong, i think that's the good point of this scent. In my opinion, this perfume suits on women about 25+.. But i dont think i will buy it though i have the chance

sayrmaillah@yahoo.com

recently got this as a surprise gift from an online purchase, although just the miniature size..at first sniff i love it. i thought i smelt jasmine but it's actually not.after some time what i got was the scent of violets which i think is the dominating note and it is kinda powdery. since this fragrance just have base notes, you smell like violets all the way to the end. if you're a fan of violet, you should get this. on my skin it last for about 6 hours which i'm okay with it for an edp. the sillage is just moderate cause i really don't like to make someone else get a headache just for being near me.this is not a sweet perfume. for those that love sweet perfume, i don't think this is your cup of tea. the scent is suitable for the mature/sophisicated crowd. i don't find this fragrance old-ladyish.. anyhow i am happy with this perfume and i hope to buy a larger bottle soon in the future..=D

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

Such few notes and among them carnation (a note that can be a big no-no on my skin) yet "Balenciaga Paris" is a powdery violet dream with a patchouli infused base (if the patchouli sounds daunting don't fear, it’s a very chic patchouli and it is hiding under the violet) that is extremely feminine and elegant. The cedar note adds character and the carnation is very well behaved. To my nose there is something ‘fresh’ in it but I can’t tell what it is and I can’t see it listed.

A must sniff for violet fans! Balenciaga Paris is a darling that is suitable for all round use, since I can’t see this being inappropriate for any occasion -- when is classy ever wrong? The bottle is also very pretty and the cap reminds me of a vintage piece of ivory.

Silage is: powdery violets with a classy edge -- Longevity is: 5+ hours of Parisian chic.

Merebon
Merebon

I love this. It's so feminine and pretty. It's flowery, but not overpowering. I wear it more in Springtime/Summer.

suhaesa
suhaesa

a metallic.. flowery.. violet.. carnation.. sweet.. loud.. confusing.. bouquet of exotic florals.. fit for a carnival..fit for a free spirited.. happy.. uninhibited gypsy queen.. or any one who just wants to celebrate life.. with all its wonderful colors and hues..it turns and goes to amazng depths.. and the patchouli carry it magnificently ..all the florals make it sing.. and the woodsy notes make it more real ..it turns warm and a bit spicy..but all in all its a flower bomb..not an overly fine or gentle rosy floral ..its more of a chypre..loud contradicting ..confusing.. hip.. almost fit for a girl in the rural farms of the vine fields..

perfume rating 3.8 out 5
bottle rattin 4 out 5
my pesonal liking ratting 3 out 5

carlayorke

This is a delicate floral that has lovely complexity on my skin. I love it, a lot. Sillage is poor. But as I read somewhere in a review here, I don't mind reapplying, because I can enjoy the story again.

I've just discovered that JASMINE, on me, is a complete travesty. I smelled a singular sample of it today and then I knew what had been so wrong all of these years, and why I can't wear many things from Chanel, Dior, and Givenchy. So many great fragrances have jasmine, and I'm not able to wear them at all. Why jasmine of all things? Why? But I can wear that juggernaut of poontang, Womanity, so I will embrace what is. I don't think W. smells like poontang, but some people have that opinion. I think it's a funky, unique purple cloud of a potion that has excellent longevity. However that thing on the top of the bottle creeps me out. That is 'Woman'? It's an overdesigned poontang if I ever saw one.

I love the ladylike feeling I have when I wear Balenciaga Paris. And I feel special, as if I'm in Paris, instead of my grey, industrial kind of hometown. My city has its charms nonetheless. Not like Coco charm, but maybe like some underrated fragrance that is affordable, and worn by those in the know. Let's talk Chantilly sometime.

The bottle of Paris is elegantly simple but I agree that the cap looks tacky. Perhaps it's like a swanky, desireable, leather Balenciaga bag in a gorgeous color with those dumb little buckles near the bottom corners. Why? And there is my second why of my review. WHY.

Someone once told me that there are only two answers to Why?. They are 'Why not.', and 'Because.'. Somewhere in those two short answers are the rationale for jasmine in fragrances and extraneous buckles on bags. Just don't ask me to get into it.

And I will spray away in my Parisian fantasy, sans jasmine, with the funky poontang potion for nighttime. I'll continue with my day job and the rest of it, and Thierry Mugler and Mr./Ms. Balenciaga will be making more money than I'll ever get, even with their overdesigned, extraneous design details :P

Indigomama
Indigomama

My new crush. Totally love it. Didn't like it at first, then sort of talked myself into buying it and loved it. The violets are amazing and the perfume is extremely well-blended. Could have become my signature scent if not for sillage. Generally I would have preferred something less delicate. Bath gel and body lotion have no sillage at all, gone in 5 minutes

annie_foo75
annie_foo75

Can't spray more than twice. It's turn into musky scent on my skin. For me it's like unisex perfume.

amywamywoo
amywamywoo

A beautiful sophisticated violet scent.

Smells vintage, classy and expensive (which it is). It's quite fresh like in the same vein as Chloe EDP, it's very wearable and sexy in it's own way. Lasting power is very good, 10hrs +. I've had numerous compliments too.

Pari88
Pari88

The love I have for this perfume grows every day. I realize that I can never get enough of it. If a smell could be called "desirable" or "irresistible" this would truly be it. There are no extras or frills, just purity and innocence that is so hard to attain in today's adult world, which is what makes this particular fume so "desirable". Slightly melancholic, but only because the purity holds most of the sadness in the world, and is crying for all the atrocities in it. Very Jane Eyre.

It is true that violet is a memory scent. When it is gone I can smell it, I miss it, and I long for it if I have not smelled it in some time, unlike really any other scent in perfume.
The purity of ingredients in this perfume at it's price range is truly commendable. Bravo! Every one should have this slice of heaven in their wardrobe. It is an instant soul awakener type of fragrance. Pleasantly perfect.

lisa wold
lisa wold

I love this perfume. If you love perfume that reminds you of vintage makeup this might be a good one for you to try. This perfume also reminds me of Drole de Rose which I love. So if you love Drole de Rose than this one might be worth checking out.

Susan_b
Susan_b

I really like this one. It smells like the original Halston but nicer. Side note: it's the only perfume that my mother likes of mine.

margoess

May I take a moment to write a second, less useful review? I love this perfume. I love it, I love it; I love it—I love it. I bought the 1.7 oz bottle recently (which is beautiful and understated and elegant and kind of Art Deco and lovely) and have been wondering if I shouldn't have gone for the larger size. I am literally taking breaks in between typing this to rub my nose across my arm. Where before I wasn't crazy about the opening spritz, since it does come on a bit strong, now I love all stages of this scent, from the very first second to the very last, lingering traces many hours later. Hands down, my favorite.

antfarm
antfarm

This fragrance is such a tease. I wanted to love it because I like Charlotte Gainsbourg. I also wanted to love it because I'm a fan of violet.

However, all I got was lovely candied yet-powdery violets drowned in a vat of rubbing alcohol. The poor little violets were looking up at me all sadly from the bottom of the figurative vat of alcohol like "saaaave ussss".

All goofy metaphors aside, this is probably just my chemistry though, as a lot of rose perfumes go all rubbing alcoholy on me as well.

hunterblu
hunterblu

I wore this fragrance out last night and this morning I can still smell it quite strongly...interestingly enough the dry down smells exactly like Acqua Di Parma Iris Nobile EDP to my nose. Can't believe I hadn't noticed it before. It's really quite uncanny.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

After months of indecision, I finally bought the perfume/lotion set. The bottle alone is worth having although I wish they had made the round crackled-finish stopper into something more classy. The perfume itself is strong but so lovely. I'm beginning to understand that I am drawn to violet and/or iris scents thus my love for Balenciaga Paris. Each visit to Sephora is not complete unless I spray myself with this. From start to finish, I can enjoy the violet strong and loud. I can smell it even after a shower. So lookout - my work colleagues - I'll be wearing this off and on in the next few months. Ha!

On me,
Sillage: about 5 feet
Longevity: about 8 hours
Rating: 4.5/5

May2013 Update: Have had at least three compliments on one of the days I wore the spray on my chest and lotion on my legs.

Linden
Linden

A modern, refined floral; fresh, minimalistic, softly green with a hint of sweetness from subtle carnation. BP opens with amazingly natural, smooth violets, more creamy rather than powdery. Although quite simple at first, the scent develops character and elegance, maintaining its creamy tone as it dries. The base woods are soft; the cedar is dry but not acrid, and the patchouli only lends its impression; without becoming overly earthy. Wonderful warm weather fragrance with good longevity.

margoess

I was initially drawn to the Balenciaga display by the (very cool) Florabotanica bottles. When the sales associate sprayed Paris on a card for me to try too, I took one quick sniff and was immediately like, "Mm, no." But for some reason, I came back a bit later and spritzed a little on my wrist. I still found it too... sharp? Too something at first. But after a couple of minutes, it started to soften and mellow and warm on my skin, and I found myself sniffing and sniffing and sniffing. I've tried it a few times since then, and I think I may have to go for a bottle.

For this perfume novice, who's not a fan of either capital-P *Perfume!* perfumes (Chanel No. 5) or super sweet vanilla/fruity perfumes (Hanae Mori, say), Paris seems like a happy middle ground. It's sweet and warm without being sugary, and the top notes have just enough of that *Perfume!* scent to make you feel a little dressed up and ladylike. Powdery (but not soapy), with a hint of green leaf every now and then. Nine hours after spraying my wrist this morning, I can get the barest hint if I sniff ever so close. It's just -pretty-.

Sirenn
Sirenn

I was prepared to dislike Balenciaga Paris, being generally uncharmed by perfumes with floral notes. But this fragrance surprised me with just enough patchouli and woody essence to settle into a spicy-floral with wafts of violet. It's a well-blended and pleasant scent with fairy good longevity, if not much silage. Fans of deeper, more complex florals should enjoy this one!

While I am writing this, I am trying to remember how it smelt when I tried it for a couple of times in store. So this review may not be as accurate as it should be.

Well, this is a very nice, classy, modest and comforting perfume. Very pretty. It smells old-fashioned, in good way, most likely because of the powdery sweet violet in it. I very much like this subtle sweetness as well as the nostalgic warmth this perfume gives. Wearable classic in modern days, constructed of tender violet with sweet leaf and stronger patchouli than I expected.

Longevity is good: moderate to long lasting. Sillage is nicely moderate, too.

However, I didn't purchase it after all. I somehow wanted to love this perfume very much, though I do know that I am not a big fan of violet, carnation and powder. Please don't get me wrong, I still like it (so people who do not usually fancy violet should try it), and this is objectively a lovely perfume. Actually, I would definitely have it on my vanity if it were less expensive. But something in it didn't fully persuade me. It may be because it is not especially outstanding in every aspect. It's nice, well-rounded, inoffensive, and even unique I could say. But I hardly find anything that hooks or melts my heart. Um, can't put my finger on it, but in my opinion, this doesn't have to be by Balenciaga. Too well-rounded? Too nice? I would expect something more outstanding from this house.

That being said, I am not so confident if I can stay away from this haute perfume when spring comes... This perfume would make a spring a lot prettier!

woodbines
woodbines

This fragrance is very feminine, but not what I was hoping for. This was a blind buy and I didn't really know what to expect. Unfortunately, on me, this fume is very sweet like candied violets and powder. I don't pull any of the woody notes that I hear others refer to. It is pleasant, though, just not for me. It reminds me of an expensive pressed powder.

Paloma Lette
Paloma Lette

The first time I saw Charlotte Gainsbourg as the face of Balenciaga, I fell in admiration of the commercial, it’s still one of my favourite covers to date, the immediate drawcard being her lace couture, but more so the simplicity in her face and body language, the reason I speak so much about this cover is because I feel it is the exact visual image that explains the story of this scent. Before I knew anything about Balenciaga, I was always attracted to this bottle, but never the scent, the bottle is subtle, like the doors to a garden, it is light, I love that the embodiment of this fragrance is not deep, but light, again, almost like a garden, freshly watered. I had sampled this fragrance for quite some time, the answer however, was always no, I wanted to appreciate this fragrance because I loved the commercial ad, I had to love it, but I could never see past the ozonic layers, something in which I hadn’t previously enjoyed in a scent. This one particular day, I was on my way to the hair salon when I said to myself that I was ready for a change, I was naturally a blonde, I came out of the salon with rich dark brown hair, I knew this was the day I would purchase Balenciaga. I felt after my dramatic change in hair, I was the right person to wear this fragrance and hold myself just like Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Being that I completely shied away from my usual signature notes, I was eager to see how this fragrance would react with my skin, just one word, beautifully. I’m overpowered with floral, I never appreciated how delicate violet leaf was until I smelt it on my skin. To begin with this scent is incredibly powdery, woody and floral, light but warm and spicy, after quite some time, it blends down to a watery, aquatic I should say, because the sillage is still strong, feminine array of “green” notes, patchouli, cedar and so on. The staying power of this scent is a little disappointing, but I have never been one to complain about re applying, to feel the story all over again, why wouldn’t I? I think to blend violet and carnation is genius, the strength of the violet and the sweetness of the carnation, makes for a very bold yet feminine fragrance.

My main love for this fragrance comes from my appreciation for the pleasant change it welcomed, I’m usually one for heavy, dark and strong fragrances, all in which must contain my signature note, rose, but I felt new inspiration from this fragrance, a lightness, I would describe this as a creamy array of floral and green, it can be very masculine to use elements of “green” notes in a fragrance, however this displays complete femininity, I can’t help but think of a garden when I smell this fragrance, it is a very tranquil scent, similar to my feelings about Balenciaga L’Essence, which is very spicy (possibly the next fragrance purchase I will make), both of these remind me of the Armani Prive Collection, concentrating on the florals and woods, above all, I couldn’t say enough good about this fragrance, it shares very little similarities with other fragrances, furthermore extending my appreciation for it’s well thought out creation.

paulab
paulab

I am a violet fan. I wanted this to be "the bomb". To my nose, this is a woody, dry violet that dries down less violet and more wood. I am probably in the minority here but I found this to have a masculine tilt. This is not a sweet violet per say, but a green violet surrounded by woods (cedar?). It has silage and lasts well, but it didn't hit the spot for me. I would think that this would work well on a man who enjoys violet fragrances.

Penguin.pae
Penguin.pae

Just buy this one for my new year gift. Loved it at first sniffed. So classy chic elegant beautiful scent. You should tr this one.

Celtrino
Celtrino

I found this on my journey from Madrid to Sydney...I sprayed a little on my right arm and continued on my wandering through the airport. By the time I had reached Heathrow I was constantly sniffing myself. It's one of those perfumes you can't help but breathe in, but at the same time I was do I or don't I. Oh I do!! Just took me a few months of testing and sniffing.

On skin the intial reaction is sharp, take your nose away and ignore for 5 minutes. The intial top notes are strong on the floral side, violet with hints of carnation lending a peppery edge. I would swear blind there is vetiver and something with a citrus note in this perfume...I can smell it now as it settles along with the cedar and patchouli. This perfume is ever changing, subtle and warming, fresh and clean...contradictions at best...but everytime I smell it I find different scents, some note I hadn't noticed.

By the time this perfume has been worn a few hours...it has a beautiful womanly scent...neither overpowering or fussy...no sickly sweet notes, making you feel redolent of a candy store. Some might call this beige...to me it is like a spring, gentle sunshine and the smell of wood and flower and grass alike, dew dropped and fresh but that underlying warmth hinted at.

I am not a violet nor powdery fan and yet here I am wearing this, loving this. Neither am I a fan of Olivier Polge's other creations unless you count Balenciaga L'Essence...which is so similiar on my skin it isn't really worth pointing out. Balenciaga Paris is worth your time, worth your money...because all women should have something that makes them feel classy and feminine.

mimikins24
mimikins24

A clean, light and fresh green floral. I do not get any patchouli to speak of, therefore I would not categorize this as a chypre.

There is not a huge amount of development in this fragrance. It is a feminine, powdery, somewhat sweet violet, but I do not get a soapy note at all. I like dry-soapy, but not sweet-soapy, so this is a good point for me.

As it dries down, there is more focus on the woody notes and the violet leaf, but violet (flowers) remains the focus.

Not an overly complex fragrance, but beautiful nonetheless. My overall impression is that this a modern take on violet. If the traditional, old fashioned, dare I say it "old lady", violet is a piece of classical music, this would be a piece of electronica.

Chic, modern, youthful, likeable, inoffensive. I like this very much as a daytime, work scent. Good longevity, fairly quiet sillage, again all good for work!

hesione
hesione

I can't say I hate it, because this it a pretty non-offensive, soft and feminine all the way scent. But this really smells like baby powder on me, not my cup of tea, glad that I got a mini before going for a big bottle.

ivyheel
ivyheel

I love this understated fragrance. My signature is Prada Infusion d'Iris, and I feel that this is the slightly more feminine, less introverted version of Prada's masterpiece. It is quite powdery and clean, and the dry-down reminds me of a lovely shampoo I used to use. Overall not very memorable but gorgeous nonetheless.

Perfumedsecrets

This is sort of like a drumroll that fades into the distance instead of a dramatic finale. I've had this on my 'to test' list for over a year, and finally got to try it this week. My first thoughts were that it's dry, quiet, and chic. This isn't a perfume that I could make a signature scent, because to me it doesn't leave much of an impression. It's also not my idea of romance. A romantic perfume in my mind is a bolder floral or a spicy oriental.

maryco036
maryco036

The dry down on this is amazing!

I imagine a lover, caressing and enfolding his lovers arms and breathing in the scent of her skin. This is the scent he would smell.

The top citrus notes scream at you ad nauseum. But then they dry down into this woody-violet haze that is sweet and soft. It is romantic. Enraptuing and intoxicating.

AssMaster3000
AssMaster3000

Put simply; Balenciaga Paris is a beautiful, elegant and sumptuous perfume.

cinema1974
cinema1974

My husband purchased this today for me...it was $150 dollars and it was in a kit with lotion and parfume and body wash...it was a better deal and the lady had a drill and engraved the bottle for him with a special note...for all that the fragrance is awesome...wonderful floral woody aquatic but the lasting power was long... it is wonderful...I really like it and I feel that it has a scent of it own and not gaudy scent...love it...

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Smells beautiful! It is floral, spicy, and powdery - it maintains a beautiful balance and is not overwhelming in any regard. Perfect for day time for a classy, well dressed, poised lady. Perfect.

danimcneil
danimcneil

Missk...u literally took the words out of mouth! Exactly as I wouldve described this. And I love Robin on NST:)

I'm really not surprised that Balenciaga Paris is so popular amongst female consumers. It's quite an elegant and feminine fragrance. Easy to wear and easy to love.

Women that adore Chanel, Prada and Chloe fragrances, will most likely fall for Balenciaga Paris. This composition is not complex nor loud. To my nose it's a clean and subtle violet scent, with a powdery and slightly earthy drydown.

Despite falling into the chypre genre, I don't think chypre lovers will find themselves particularly fond of Balenciaga Paris. Like Robin on Now Smell This noted, it "does not smell like a classic chypre, but nor does it smell like your average patchouli-laden modern chypre". It's essentially a straight-forward floral marketed towards women that want to smell clean, feminine and sophisticated. It's not the kind of scent that will turn heads. Balenciaga Paris has no commanding presence.

Although I adore the exquisite bottle design, I can't say that Balenciaga Paris has acquired any more than a like from me. I grow tired of smelling inoffensive scents such as this one. I also think the powdery violet blend is a tad overdone in modern perfumery. My favourite violet scents are those which are wild and uninhibited, like Guerlain's Insolence EDP and Stephen Jones in cooperation with Comme Des Garcons.

Whenever I smell Balenciaga Paris, I think of the colour beige. Just like the colour itself, this fragrance is creamy, soothing, neutral and all-encompassing. Perfect for women that don't want to wear anything too 'perfumey'.

The longevity is excellent and the sillage moderate. A pleasant fragrance it most definitely is, but unfortunately not my cup of tea.

irmavertigo
irmavertigo

after I kept a sample pf this for half a year, I suddenly made decision purchasing a 50ml bottle on amazon.com(about$58) I think the price is okay because this is really a parfum worth this value---subtle, tender, feminine. It's really good for the beginning of fall.

vmarshmellow
vmarshmellow

I love the top notes on this fragrance. It starts out as a sweet powdery violet. But as it dries down the "woody" notes smell more like herbal notes to me. I think this would be a great man's fragrance. It is too masculine on me.

Bassobri
Bassobri

I tried this on a few days ago at sephora, and I absolutely loved it. So i'm testing it right now as an evening at home scent. I sprayed it on after my shower and the initial intake was a little overpowering. It was very floral, maybe a little bit stuffy. Now it has settled in, itI smells like a dewey, wet morning with a pinch of powder. The good thing about this scent is you do not have to wear a lot to get the effect. I sprayed three times and one would have been enough. Paris would be a good afternoon pick me up or early evening scent.

Aspendina
Aspendina

Projection is awful, it wears so close to the skin its ridiculous. The bottle is so ugly and I also have L'essence and that beats out Paris hands down. With L the bottle is gorgeous the scent last like 48hrs anprojection is awesome and the scent is stunning; the scent of Paris only very faintly resembles L and mostly smells like soap. L is worth the money, Paris is not.

AlexaSanger
AlexaSanger

I´ve always been curious about what the fragrance with Charlotte Gainsbourg as ,,its face" would smell like. So I bought this jewel of a bottle!

I expected different scent, to be honest. Something more light, more fresh.

My first impressions were:
- visual: beautiful bottle in a lovely black sack - olfactorial: the room filled with woody, rather intense heavier tones. It reminded me of something from the past, women from the past, of something old, nostalgic. The second thought was: ,,This is a Balenciaga´s Allure!"

On the skin, however, it smells beautifully - there is sweet wood, flowers, dash of powder. In my opinion there is something very romantic about this fragrance and I do not percieve much of the ,,urban" here. It is also feminine, lovely, kind, young, with tenderness and yes, there is a small hidden sparkle as well.

I would wear this on cold summer evenings or on rainy spring/summer/autumn days. The scent and the rain could create very effective contrast!

Lookin4Happy
Lookin4Happy

I decided to wear this one today. My husband bought it for me....but not a blind buy, as I had torn the page out of a magazine and mentioned that it smelled good on the paper. I had not tried it on my skin.

At first, I did not like this scent at all, but it has grown on me. This morning when I got into the car, my daugther (teen) told me I smelled great, and wanted to know what it was, had I just put it on, and could she smell my arm.

Well, I had put it on almost an hour before I got into the car, so it was projecting very well at that point, and still is sitting at my desk several hours later.

Mostly, what I get on my skin is violet, patchouli, and the cedar. All other notes seem lost to me, or I just can't detect them.

It is very floral/woody in the beginning, and then becomes very spicy/powdery. I quite enjoy it.

mediterranean
mediterranean

This is the good twin sister of Balenciaga l´Essence. More discreet, quieter,with the same hidden atraction of the unreacheable good mannered lady.
It smells like the rain (if it had a smell). It is the woman we all want to make friends with but we never know if she is interested. Men get hooked on her,she never looks at them twice. She likes reading in her home patio sorrounded by ivy leaves and with the sound of a fountain in the background.She listens to jazz old songs and enjoys loneliness.

This one reminds me alot of Dsquared2 she wood, this one is a bit stronger smelling on my skin. Absolutely lovely every-day-scent. Good lastingpower too.
Denna doften påminner mycket om Dsquared2 shewood, jag upplever denna som starkare i sin doft-utstrålning. Sitter länge på huden. Superhärlig varje-dag-doft.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

I had this perfume couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. My hubby bought it for me, it was classy and had very good longevity and projection. Just pure beauty. I have just purchased Chanel no19 and it took me a while to realise it has quite a similar dry down to this one...maybe that's why I love it lol

LittleRed
LittleRed

I don't find a lot of powder here - there definitely is that element, but it is somehow fresher in quality, like garden greenery after the rain.

A lovely violet, soft, no sharp edges, herbal with the inclusion of the leaves, a little metallic. It is carried beautifully on a freshly cut, fragrant cedar base from start to finish, all notes blending beautifully.

Sophisticated, quite understated, substantial enough to get noticed, but in no way heavy. It is a fragrance with clarity, one you can move through, it does not cloak and surround you.

This stands out in a crowd in a very good way. It manages to be completely natural yet also refined and classy. If you can appreciate subtlety in a fragrance, this would be a lovely addition to your collection.

Balenciaga PARIS offers a bright, clean presentation of watery violets with a shimmery synthetic edge. In some ways this composition reminds me of such perfumes as Calvin Klein TRUTH and Jil Sander PURE. The watery violet aspect reminds me of DSquared SHE WOOD, although PARIS is not very woody. Still, the watery violet is very similar. I also find some overlap here with Cerruti 1881...

Violets and violet leaves really are the stars of the show, but they are presented in a modern, twenty-first-century context quite distinct from nineteenth-century all-natural violet soliflores such as VIOLETTA DI PARMA and VIOLETTES DE TOULOUSE. Yet this composition seems just as simple and likeable, provided that one is compatible with the synthetic components, which happily I am in this case.

rosemary
rosemary

An almost powdery perfume with a hint of green and light floral that's not overpowering. Definitely good for daytime wear and for work. The opening is lovely surprise that I can't stop sniffing my wrist, and the scent continues to surprise you as it slowly settles down. I am a little disappointed that it doesn't last very long; maybe 2 hours and it's barely noticeable. But it would only mean another journey with the scent. Count me in!

MademoiselleMimi
MademoiselleMimi

I think Balenciaga fragrances are always interesting. I love L'Essence! This one, to me, has a lemon note, although it's not listed above, and smells a bit like green tea. Violet and cedar are clearly present. This is not a particularly feminine scent, but it is fresh, upscale, green, and unique. You can't really go wrong with Balenciaga.

pepperclips
pepperclips

I went to Myer yesterday cause I initially wanted to smell a specific perfume and I thought I'd ask a saleslady to assist me in finding the perfect powdery scent (sucker for powdery notes) and she lead me to this beauty. When I first smelt it, it was nice and pleasing to the nose but I wasn't blown away till about half an hour later. I kept the tester along with 3 others that I had in my pocket cause I had to go to work.

I left the tester on a ledge near a door at work and people I work with kept saying something smelt really nice at the back, so I went to check it out and as I walked past it, I was stunned. It smelt so beautiful and I wasn't even wearing it. One spray on a tester was able to fill that area with such beautiful notes.

I haven't bought it yet,

But hopefully I will soon because it was just so gorgeous! One of those perfumes that kinda just make you sigh at its beauty. :)

Jellybean
Jellybean

Woody fragrance with strong cedar base. Violet leaf and carnation add to the green floral and diluted powdery touch.
This is strong, clean and masculine as well,; definite unisex. It softens with time to watery violet leaf and cedar duo. Lasts all day.
Quite powerful first impression, so little bit goes along way.

greek_goddes

I really love this scent, it is one of my favourites.
Refreshing, calming, it is the perfect spring perfume!
Unfortunatelly it is so expensive that I cannot purchase it again :(
I do have lovable memories though.

marusiatko
marusiatko

But what did they do with the lasting power?I had 10 ml sample of Balenciaga and the lasting power was excellent.Last week I bought 50 ml eau de perfume and lasting powder is like 30 minutes. Do they testers have higher concentrations in order to attract a new custome? I am very dissapointed cos I was expecting a longlasting fume,not something evaporating in half an hour...

pum.ohse
pum.ohse

Elegant and original. An amazing perfume.

aschiffm
aschiffm

The opening was pretty bright to me- there's some bergamot in there, not sure why it isnt listed on this site. The opening was bright dewy and a tad dusty like a spring morning. It keeps a lot of this opening as it goes along but just mellows out to a muted spice. Is it weird this reminds me of Shalimars long lost distant shy cousin?? I think it's the juiciness of the bergamot in the beginning and the dusty powder that draws me to that connection. Also reminds me of Tom Ford Blonde Violet but with maybe 1/8 of TF Blonde Violet's punchiness. Guess it depends on the level of intensity you like, although I personally do favor TF Blonde Violet as I think it's more present and unfolds in more vibrant ways.

It's dewy, peppery, powdery, creamy with dusty slightly sweet violets.

genxer123
genxer123

This one I love (I'm a white floral lover, was pleased to be captivated by violet and carnation) -- for others. I agree with all those who love the scent in all its not-overbearing complexity, except drydown on me is just horrid. After three or four hours I smelled like Old Lady Powder with . . . Old Spice hovering around? Something sickly sweet anyway. Gah. It's a brilliant mix, however; I think I'll try it on just clothes. Its ability to be classic AND modern AND distinctive is impressive. It's a standout. Well done!

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

OMFG!! this is good sh!t this smells absolutely wonderful idky but it has an undertone that reminds me ever so faintly of prada infusion but 20x better && mixed with something else!! its such a pretty scent not to strong not to light just right! I think I love it b/c I love a powdery floral. Its like fresh violets after it rains with a dash of powder, umpppfff! truly wonderful I'd say its even worth the 130 tag I seen @ Nords HAA! :)

seashellbikini
seashellbikini

I've been wearing the same aquatic florals since college 20 years ago, so it was time for an update to the fragrance wardrobe. I was looking for a good, day to day wearing perfume that didn't smell like all the Chances and CoCo Mlles and Miss Diors and Flowerbombs and Juicy Coutures. In a sea of fruity florals and sugary gourmands, the violets and spice of Balenciaga Paris called to me. It feels modern without being tragically hip. Not too young (I'm not young.)Not too sweet (I'm not sweet). It's perfect for me to wear during the day at work or bumming around town. LOVE!

Veronicajg123
Veronicajg123

I have never been hit so hard by a fragrance. I was wandering about Neiman Marcus when this just came out. A saleslady Insisted that i try it and WOW. I like more fresh/fruity scents and this was not really fruity but fresh with a warmth to it. If i smelled this on someone i would follow them everywhere , ahah. Amazing fragrance.

filleaplumes
filleaplumes

Slowly has this scent grown on me as I begin to unravel its story. You wander through an ornate rusted gate into a french garden. You watch the sunrise as a light breeze caresses your hair like Charlotte's breathy whispers in her rendition of Bob Dillon's "Just Like a Woman". You take a deep breath and fill your airways of the dew-kissed flora and fauna surrounding you.. taking in the moment.

This is a unique fragrance that takes a refreshing break from the fruity chypre scents I also enjoy. Such an great balance of masculine and feminine; perfect for a gamine like Charlotte and myself ;). Additionally the bottle is lovely, its a design I would love to display for years to come. I highly recommend testing this scent on the skin before making judgments as I noticed its much more difficult to detect my favorite patchouli note on paper.

sallyjwong
sallyjwong

Oh Balenciaga Paris! How I love thee! Thy scent envelops me with luxury and comfort. Thou loveth me and radiates elegance in me when I wear thee.

I absolutely adore this perfume. It reacts beautifully on my skin. Powdery floral and green earthy notes soothe my soul during cold winter.

mssallywalk2011

I don't wear it much becz its a lil bit spicy. I was so disappointed I bought it on a blind buy and it wasn't what I envisioned it 2 b.

nannaje
nannaje

Agree with Sassy1 - absolutely a floral green; a group I would love if only I could be spared the horrific citrus they always overdo the scents in it with. But this one? No citrus - LOVE IT! Longevity is awesome and sillage is perfect. There is something aaaaaalmost vanilla in there, after the enigmatic, elegant green opening. It is just beautiful!

karaaslang
karaaslang

it is not overpowering at all. nice smell,soapy even.. you can use it everyday, it is like a day fragrance than a special occasion one. but this is not suitable for 'balenciaga' that I have in my mind. balenciaga is chic yes but the smell is not assertive as it should be. a nice addition to your everyday fragrance library. that's all.

Sassy1
Sassy1

Toothpaste???

Not unless you brush your teeth with lawn clippings and violet buds.

I don't get anything remotely like any type of mint. Just typical violet powdery sweetness after a top of fresh grass. No carnation, no patchouli, maybe a hint of cedar in the drydown but if I didn't know it was there I couldn't swear to it.

This also is not a chypre...it's a definately a floral green.

Violets aren't usually my thing but I'll use up the mini I have this coming spring despite it's mono-tone presence.

Livvy111
Livvy111

Tried a sample on my skin today. Not one of my faves. Its a very 'neutral' scent- not particularly interesting . I would say its good for office use but its not warm enough for me. I dont like the carnation note at all, and I dont know why I pick up a magnolia note too. The dry down becomes really toothpasty. I'm sure its good for women in their early 40s + but not for a young woman. I think its a decent fragrance just not for me :)

fraxxxi
fraxxxi

I have this fragrance, it is one of my favourite! It is comfortable, clean and chic. And the bottle is very elegant.

talnyc
talnyc

I love this scent. It is not overpowering and very, very nice. It is a clean violet fragrance. It is not sweet, but sexy! I think just using the body cream will be enough to have a lovely scent that will last the entire day.

Scarlette
Scarlette

Very, very nice. Fresh, soft violet with carnations prancing around in back, juicy grapefruit...lasts very nicely for a freshy-scent.

Almost toothpastey, but never quite goes that far.
Fresh, sweet powder, made with those powder candies in the twist rolls...Rockets!

More complex & less gourmandy than it sounds. Reminds me of Byblos.

Just try it. Think it to be tops for a lovely inoffensive office scent. Hard to dislike.

Uplifting. Suited to spring/summer. Or anytime really....

Quite pleased.

Silverlight
Silverlight

I loved this perfume..it's soft yet elegant scent is very alluring and I have worn it several times and received compliments on it every time. The notes of violet, rose and carnation are a perfect melding. I have a hard time finding fragrances that have this hint of violet in it.

taboo2287
taboo2287

classy, flirty exclusively for women (guys do not get close to it) i tried it and the chemistry to my skin was horrible even though it smells gorgeous on my sis, i advice any classy clean woman/girl to wear it.

maltatude
maltatude

It's a nice violet-floral fragrance... for me the most obvious note is the violet, but it's so nice and smooth. not as powdery... i would not ordinarily go for a violet fragrance but i could see myself in this. it's sophisticated yet reminds me of the smell of a chanel or dior lipstick... i find it really pleasing...

Lycaeides
Lycaeides

After smelling the sample in Harper's Bazaar, I knew that i needed to try it. Sadly, it smelled nothing at alll like the magazine sample -the sample had smelled like opening a bag of whole black peppercorns in a room filled with violets. When i smelled it out of the bottle i was disappointed but i tried it on my skin anyways in the hopes that the scent would change. it did but for the worse- It smelled the way my grandmother's shower smelled to me. (not a bad thing necessarily, as a little girl i always enjoyed playing with the many different soaps and gels my grandmother kept in her shower)It smelled soapy and i couldn't find the black pepper anywhere! I was very disappointed. i expected more.

sherry1956
sherry1956

I love this fragrance! Sexy, classy, romantic. That says it all!

Louvenia
Louvenia

I am a huge admirer of Christobal Balenciaga clothes and perfumes! I love the old Balenciaga scents, such as Christobal,Prelude,Eau de Cristobal..All these of course are discontinued.Balenciaga Paris is a modern interpretation of Balenciaga's old scents.Spicy,sophisticated starts with creamy violet not harsh or too teenager-bubblegum type.As it stays,spicy carnation starts to spread out. The drydown smells like carnation and strong patchouli on my skin.I can see here that amost all of you didn't detect a huge amount of patchouli. On my skin it dominates!!Personally,I prefer the old Balenciaga scents but this is not a bad one either. It lasts quite long and the sillage is moderate.

Printeza7
Printeza7

This a dreamy smell, so so fine. The fragrance is melting on the skin providing such a luxurious smell.I am really impressed with this scent, just sensual.

rose_selavie
rose_selavie

To me this is a very nostalgic smell. It`s interesting, flowery soft, a bit powdery, smells like delicate dust of flowers. Romantic and unique. I prefer more vivid perfumes, but I can admire it`s mysterious character.

mjb28
mjb28

This fume opens very floral, bit strong and spicy with lovely grown up violet note that easily changes into something unique. Powdery, fresh, a bit sweet and creamy warm. I could smell all the notes. The evolution of this perfume is very dramatic. Just fascinating! It reminds me of Chanel 19 in a subtle way.

The drydown is stunningly feminine, elegant, sexy, modern, edgy and beautiful. The lasting power is delicately strong and that is very impressive. It last a long way. I love it!

The bottle itself is stunning with humor. The black pouch adds more beauty.

Overall, this is very sophisticated, modern classic, well designed perfume! Very worthy! Definitely one of the best perfumes on the market! Well done Olivier Polge!

pauluch3
pauluch3

It's very bright (not sunny) and soft.

Feels like moist cool morning air. I can almost smell dewy greenery and wet ground.

Unique and lovely. It's very elegant but without trying too much, very natural and discreet. It leaves a delicate trail of violets, and stays fresh the whole day, lasts up to 12h.

mashakiri
mashakiri

I tried it today and LOVE it. I've got the sample at the department store, it came together with Jacob's Daisy. First I thought smth like 'well, one more too bold, too old, too strong...'. But after testing it on my skin I felt in love.
And now it's time to make a difficult decision. I'm 27, blond, curly and naive, a bit childish in appearance. There is no way I would have a chance to wear it with classical outfit and hills. Oh... Imagine this scent on a young lady with backpack and comfortable sandals! Balenciaga, you are killing me ;) Need I wait for 20-30 years to feel comfortable wearing this splendid fragrance?

vita amelia
vita amelia

just got my 1st bottle of Paris, lucky blindbuy by online.. i absolutely love it.. smells expensive,extraordinary and shopidticated.. its fresh,clean,elegant,modern and cool.. powdery,creamy,dewy and heavenly.. lasting power is amazing. love love love it.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Firstly, I love the bottle. I was hoping to love this perfume, but no such luck. It is a very pretty, light scent, like a lovely flower garden distilled and put in a bottle. Normally I don't like chypres but I like this one. It's very inoffensive and pleasant, pretty violets scattered across a garden pool. I find it quite elegant but relaxed.

When this came out I first thought I might like it. It's rather tender and a daytime scent. But after re-trying it several times I didn't like it anymore. I agree with most here: "old lady style" and a bit bitter.

janinedello
janinedello

I have been looking for a new perfume to love and after reading the glorious descriptions here, went in to David Jones Adelaide to sample it. Whilst there I sampled several other perfumes, taking home the papers. The only smell that kept wafting my way was Paris. Went back to see what it would smell like on my skin, and have definitely found my next favourite. It has lasted all day and I can't stop from putting my wrist to my nose! The deep violet is dominant but I love that. I will put off buying my third bottle of Dior Poison in as many years, and purchase Paris instead.

arianperfume
arianperfume

I really.... REALLY love this perfume, it is the perfect violets fragrance. This is spring joy in a bottle, sillage and lasting power BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
Olivier Polge creations always give something special to the wearer. For me it is like a hot couture fragrance that still can be worn with casual clothes and make you feel pretty and elegant.

When my bottle finishes I will gladly search for another. Delightfull!!!!!!!

vanillaflower77
vanillaflower77

a "peppery violet purple" perfume, quite gorgeous. elegant yet not too mature of a scent. has a nice
warm dry down also. The bottle, oh..the bottle is so unique with the crackle top and the classic bottle design. I bought this with the first smell and i never tire of it.

greek_goddes

This one is very beautiful scent.
A sweet, floral surprise by Balecianga!
A little powdery, i get the carnation note but still it is soft and not spicy at all.
I love it for sping, it is like a big bouquet of fresh flowers!
It is quite ladylike and not unisex as someone mentioned before.
Longlasting and a little green it will be a nice choice for your days and nights!

Pierina
Pierina

This is a very beautiful Perfume, very Parisienne and youthful.
On my skin I can not tell the difference between this and Eaudemoiselle by Givenchy. The latter I own already so I wont bother..
Might get this one next time as the Givenchy is a perfume staple.

Kazorwaman
Kazorwaman

I was just on my way out from the TaxFree-shop as I saw this bottle..I sniffed many of parfumes that day, but I decided to buy one just in case I would not be able to leave the shop without it.
Chanel, Dior, Gucci, D&G, Lancome... All them became so borring and tasteless after I have tryed BALENCIAGA PARIS...
I had a chance to test it on my skin for about 20 minutes. On me Violet smells marvelous, the parfume is delicious...
I had to turn back for this one, becouse it is not possible to forget :)

Madita
Madita

I so wanted to like this scent! And while it smelled quite lovely on paper, it turned into a nightmare on my skin - it smelled the way blood tastes, including the weird metal-y note. Gave me shivers. What a strange and rather unpleasant experience, I've never had a reaction as bad as this one with my skin. I strongly suggest to test before you buy.

MaryG
MaryG

Watery, green leaves mixed with milky, slightly creamy violets. The carnation gives the faintest peppery note, while the patchouli and cedar provide a subtle frame to this most gorgeous violet artwork. The composition feels utterly modern with its more restrained palette and subtle shifts from top note to drydown, yet it rests on solid classic ground, like a slice of history made new again.

Elizabeth Marie
Elizabeth Marie

Whoa, this sample came to me by chance and I'm so grateful it did. What a beautiful perfume from top to bottom. The dry down was just lovely and strayed from the typical musk/vanilla/amber scent in most perfumes, which I appreciated. I feel this is a masterpiece.

marthaelena
marthaelena

This fragrance has my approval :)
I tried it yesterday and had the chance to smell it all day long.
It's femenine and sophisticated.
I think Paris is a very safe fragrance: it does not have weirdness in it; its a well balanced fragrance.
In addition, I love the name, I love Paris.

sjbst17
sjbst17

Unique and sophisticated scent that will be sexy if it fits your personality (do you love it?). I feel great when I wear this. I love the smell.

I think that this one could be like cilantro. Either you really like it and it works great with your chemistry or not.

I wish that this perfume had more staying power, compared with say, Opium. But, it's pretty good.

In particular it's not too sweet, woodsy. My husband really likes it.

candymarie
candymarie

I like this one, as an objective observer of a work of art might acknowledge something is beautiful, but not feel compelled to own it or hang in on the wall.

I smell a well-blended, floral-spicy, vintage-seeming (which is good in my book), and completely accessible perfume, but for me not "swoon-worthy" and will not be one of my great loves. And yet, I think it's beautiful.

Martyna
Martyna

I really, really like this one although I do not see myself wearing it any time soon. For some reason the opening really reminds me of Marc Jacobs' Daisy but it is much more serious and grown up, while Daisy smells quite girly to me. Once it settles on my skin it leaves no doubt that this is a very feminine fragrance for a confident woman who knows what she wants (I do not associate it with the stereotype of a 'cold businesswoman). I adore how it manages to smell fresh and quite raw while at the same time maintaing this incredible feminine aura. I definitely see myself wearing this in a couple of years and I really regret that, although I adore it, I cannot really pull it off yet as there is a note that is a bit too grown up. Oh, I wish so badly my nose was trained enough to know what is that note! I might actually manage to feel completely comfortable in it on certain occasions when I'm in a certain mood, the weather is right, etc. but I think it is better for me to wait a bit because it will make the reunion so much sweeter. Nevertheless, I am sure that while waiting for the years to pass I will keep trying this one occasionally in department stores just to treat myself to this fragrance which is so perfect for me but just 'not yet'.

AveParfum
AveParfum

I was disappointed that this fragrance did not smell good on me. It smelled soooo good when I sniffed the bottle. On my skin it wore down into a nauseating patchouli nightmare. I can definitely see how it could be nice on the right person though.

Passionflower
Passionflower

I absolutely adore Balenciaga Paris! It's light, floral, fresh, feminine and great for everyday wear. Lasting power is very good too. It's a little sweet but definitely not too sweet. Elegant and noticeable but not overpowering. It's the favourite scent of one of my colleagues, she smells great wearing Balenciaga Paris. Even though we're quite different types of women, I think it suits us both, and that's one of the great advantages of this perfume. It just makes you feel pretty, no matter what age or kind of person you are. I wouldn't wear it to a rock concert or any other kind of wild night out, but other than that it's fine for most occasions. Well done, mr. Polge!

delphine67
delphine67

I had the chance to test this gorgeous fume on this weekend. I really like it.
The first sprittz gives a fresh violet but with a bit spicy note to it. maybe its the patchouli I cant't really describe it. Then the perfumes start to settle in the scent I really like. The violet turns into a bit spicy woodsy one with the cedar in the back ground. To me this is a very sophisticated scent. Its expensive so maybe a christmas present.

La MDH
La MDH

I met this perfume today. It knocked me off my feet. I live for scents, and very few strike me as classics, the perfumes that will be around for the next 70 or so years. This one will be.
Everyone's olfaction is different. I sense green along with floral in this ---refreshing yet sophisticated. It would fit a walk in the country, as well as a night at the opera. If you like the perfumes of Chanel and Guerlain, you'll love this.

Chandramukhi
Chandramukhi

This one aims at being elegant and classy in a minimalist but snobish way, and fails due to too high expectations. It is a common floral with some powder and green-airy, ending in a musty-bitter villain melange. Intellectual on a false pretense,it lacks sense of humour and generosity.

krishka

tried it yet again after reading so nice reviews but i feel only the carnation, can't smell violets on me at all which is a pity because i LUV the scent of violets...

krishka

hard core unisex frag...tried it a couple of times already, waiting to like it but no avail...otherwise i love most Balenciaga scents but this one doesn't smell as complex, it is lacking something can't figure out what though....

myolderbrother
myolderbrother

The bottle is just gorgeous and the top notes are intoxicatingly pretty and then after about ten minutes they turn bitter and sour on my skin. The notes I am left with are a soapy tea musk mess that smells so bitter that my mouth puckers when I smell my skin!! Perfect for someone, but not for me!!

Patti9
Patti9

I have just bought this heavenly perfume - in a wonderful handbag atomiser which looks like a piece of modern art - heavy, angular, black and white decoration. Why is called Paris? - its just like the scent you get when you enter one of those sumptuous florists shops somewhere on the left bank. There are ferns and lemon balm, iris, an under current of carnation and of course violets. Fabulous! Like another fan, I am going to alternate with my other favourite, Hermes Eau des Merveilles. And, yes, it reminds me of Le Dix - bought for me by my first love oh so long ago ...

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

Balenciaga Paris is a notion of a perfume beauty. Apart from Cristobal, it is my beloved perfume.
The violet and carnation are dominant notes, but overall the fragrance is like the most wonderful sypmhony of floral notes with a hint of patchouli.
It is my little treasure and I will certainly wear it often, it is a masterpiece, a genius in its own right, it has been worth waiting 12 years for Balenciaga designer house to release such a marvel.
I am speechless :-)
Perfect for a classy, self confident, mature lady, I cannot imagine a teenage girl wearing it - that would be what I call a fragrance crime :-)
Gorgeous, I purchased in dark and do not regret it - the fragrance is worth every penny I spent :-)
If you fancy getting to know what violets at dawn smell like, try Paris and you'll fall head over heels :-)

9154mf
9154mf

This is nice, violet carnation powdery elegance, ever so slightly bitter, but it's just a little too chypre for me. There are soft nuances of something skin-like here, or metallic, as Guest A.Rose has said. This is interesting, but unfortunately I can't see myself wearing this. But Im glad to have tried such a wonderfully created scent.
UPDATE Im finding that I miss my sample of this more and more... so Im now onthe hunt for a bottle or large decant he he.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

I tested this one today and it is lovely. Lovely, little fresh perfume, with a perfect amount of sweetness to it. Just reminds me of spring. Not offensive in any way. Perfect for any occasion. I think about buying this one. I also adore the bottle, but I never buy a perfume for the bottle (anymore). But it is a beautifull perfume to me.

janudy
janudy

One of the prettiest, daintiest violet scents I own! I get the violets, and some green notes. Some violets are just way too sweet (I'm looking at you, Feerie), or powdery, or earthy, but this is just unabashedly pretty. I find it a very ladylike, polite perfume that would be killer for the office.

Fides
Fides

Green, herby violet (it's all about violets lately, ha?), it has some strange, greenish note..."strange", I guess, because name really doesn't fit it. I mean, come, on - "Paris"? How stereotypical can it get? Nevermind.

This scent reminds me of green fields filled with violets, or spring dusk, basicly, something natural, green, but also sofisticated and aristocratic.

As time passes, it doesn't get any weaker, although violet reigns the perfume, a mixture of cedar and patchouli makes all that green harmony complete. Very, very nice. It's not for me, but...

So, if you're sick of rose/blueberry/sugary/celebrity like scents - Paris just might be a way to go.

Yamba1
Yamba1

I have kept coming back to test this one and today I bought a full bottle. I have been tetsting scores of perfumes lately and most of them merge into the "forgettable" category. Not so with Balenciaga Paris. It smells expensive, refined, luxurious and very ladylike. This a pretty romantic floral that is not too sweet and best worn for daytime.
Whenever I wear this I want to don a flowing floral dress and have a ladies lunch!

Maki
Maki

It's one of the scents I tried today.
First thing that came to my mind was: It smells classy. Next thing was: I'm not in love...
Like beauty can kill the fun, like photoshopped images kill character...
Kept it on my wrist to experience the drydown and it sure went dry and it sure went down...
Didn't get any chypre..did get sweetness that went flat.
It's a pitty because I love the bottle and the package as well as the name.

guest_cilek

it oddly reminds me of trussardi skin that i was wearing years ago...

guest_cilek

I couldn't say that I really know much about the composition of perfumes but i have been using every possible perfume that exists on earth or at least i have tried most of them. Nothing really exicted me apart from Hermes Eau des Merveilles that I have been using for the past years. I tried Balenciaga's perfume today. I didn't buy it because i'm very picky and if I don't really like it I will not wear it. It's been a few hours and it's still smelling wonderfully on my skin. Finally, I think I'm going to alternate between Balenciaga Paris and Eau des Merveilles.

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

A spring -like feel: airy dresses and fleeting glances. A
bouquet of violets also has an old-fashioned tone, the
antique charm of a few dried petals that we find
between the pages of a book by Colette, traces of
memories, the work of art so fine that is the past....

sofiii
sofiii

I didn't know it is a Chypre Floral. I thought it's more a grown-up sophiscated floral fruity.

It is weird, but I really smelt a lot of fresh crispy green pear scent with soft sweetness in the beginning and I told myself it's the best pear scent ever!

About 3 hours later, the pear freshness is still there, but with more floral added in, which made the fragrance softer and really elegant and femmine. However, somehow this reminds me of traditional cologne plus nice optimistic notes from some new pink perfume like Baby Doll by YSL, but all in a unique and interestingly good way.

The perfume is really modern and refined, nothing like old-school chypre scents, somehow I feel it has some notes make it float in the air. Quite an interesting scent to try.

panda0410
panda0410

Beautiful, soft, crisp green violet fragrance that I really love - I adore almost all violet frags! I would dearly love to nab a full bottle of this, violet is the star of the show here. Gentle but crisp cedar is there and the patchouli, which I usually hate, actually grounds it a little. Carnation is usually a spicy floral but I dont sense it a lot here, it does however add a slight powdery component that slightly softens the greenness of this scent. One to have and love if you are a violet fan, if not, then this might not be your cup of tea.

guest_vanillacinnamon
guest_vanillacinnamon

When I smell this perfume, it takes me back to the streets of Paris. This is how I would imagine elegant French people would smell like...lol...
Love this perfume, very elegant and classy yet little modern.

guest_marji
guest_marji

tried it loved it bought it....

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Violet is the trademark note of the house.

To me this is Balenciaga-Le Dix revisited,tuned to the era,much more airy and soft.

That make-up-bag-lipstick smell,an aldehydic breeze(not too strong,to remove the No5 referance)and violet all the way.

Terrible choice of name.Couldn't they be a bit more imaginative?

If this is your cup of tea you'll enjoy it.But I don't think that you'll buy a second bottle.

Liking soft scents, this has become my new favorite perfume, in Canada it is only sold at one store and they only have the perfume, it did seem a bit higher in price to some of the other french perfunes, but I bought it anyways, the smell of this perfume seems to work well with the oils of my skin, and it is quite refreshing and playfull. I will be looking forward to the other products in this scent.

It reminded me of my long deceased mother. For that reason I liked the memories it brought back of childhood, but I do not want to wear it. It was NOT hip, urban or edgy as claimed. I found it very powdery and for a much older woman (I'm 40)and it wasn't young enough for me. I prefer more spice and edge.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I smelled it on a magazine perfume insert and it smelled like Chowards violet mints. Not interested in trying this on my skin.

Aysu
Aysu

I am lucky to test it with a sample sent by a dear fragrantica member and I really like it. A serious scent and I picture myself wearing it only when I wear formal, staying power is incredible and I cannot wait to hold the bottle itself.
Violets & carnation gives a powdery and spicy feeling but they are well balanced. And the scent becomes better and better as it dries down. This is a violet dominant perfume but not candied violets or not mixed with iris and heliotrope (they seem to do it very often to make the powdery feeling more stronger I guess) Instead a soft patchouli shows up later on and I like this unique perfume a lot.

augustana_evangeline
augustana_evangeline

i have simply fallen in love with this scent. it's sophisticated yet romantic, mature yet easily pulled off by magnetic women of ANY age - your personality decides. It is bottled elegance.

BethAshley
BethAshley

Paris is elegant, feminine, soft and chic. I am pretty sure she spends the weekend at the country club with her friend Chanel. Very understated but high quality - think old money rather than new.

Violet is the star of the perfume however it does change throughout. When first sprayed the fragrance is more green and then as it dries becomes a touch powdery and very creamy. After 30 min or so the musk comes through giving a beautiful balance to the silky violet.

Paris' lasting power is deceptively strong,so much so that at first I accidentally over sprayed and it became a little overwhelming. It is not in your face but you will have gentle wafts surprise you throughout the day.

This gorgeous, versatile fragrance for me has the potential to be a signature daytime scent.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

Beautiful uplifting fragrance . A subtle sweetness from the violet, tempered with the fresh green leaf note. Refreshing in the beginning and with a creamy warm dry-down. Excellent stuff in a beautiful bottle - perfect for Spring!

guest_A.Rose
guest_A.Rose

Absolutely beautiful; opening on a vegetal-sweet burst of powdered, polished greens, with a hint of soft floral (that mildly sugary, but clove-like beauty of a carnation note), "Balenciaga Paris" then moves into richer territory, evoking hard soap lather (think: Shaving soap) and creamy skin; dewy, musky night air and polished wood. It's just a magical fragrance, capturing the watery-nectar essence of intellectual florals like violet, iris and wisteria; yet, never really developing completely as a floral itself--always playing with being a skinscent or a metallic...or maybe an earthy floral. There's also something milky and organically complex about "Balenciaga Paris"--despite it's sheerer qualities--that lends it a timeless feel and at moments it smells like female skin first thing in the morning, then fresh air, then polished wood. Truly, an olfactory masterpiece and a "must try" for anyone who's curious about how chypre's can retain their distinct character in modern times.

I tried it a few days ago and I like it.
It's a little raw and chypre with a distict violet floating over all. No candy violet, thanks god! It smells vegetable and bitter. All in all it's nice, both modern and classic. It's elegant in a casual way, suitable for spring and casual-chic wear. It lasts quite enough.
The ad is very beautiful even if I don't usually like Charlotte Gainsbourg.

I tried this one yesterday, but it is NOT what I know Balenciaga to be!! Beautiful bottle, but the content, no no..