Designers » B » Woody Spicy « Groups

Ho Hang Balenciaga for men

Ho Hang Balenciaga for men
dislike

Ho Hang Balenciaga for men Pictures Ho Hang Balenciaga for men Pictures

Ho Hang is a classic, spicy fragrance for men and it contains citrusy top notes and woody base notes. It is very sophisticated and elegant. The first impression is the one of fresh citruses: bergamot, lemon, orange and mint. The elegant, spicy heart is composed of pelargonium, cedar, patchouli and rosewood. The woody-balmy base includes vanilla, Tonka, benzoin and labdanum. It was created in 1971.

Orange Lavender Basil Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Patchouli Cedar Brazilian Rosewood Geranium

Labdanum Tonka Bean Amber Musk Benzoin Vanilla

Black Label

Ho Hang Fragrance Reviews

kameron
kameron

Nothing to compare with..simply unique. It s a kind of teleportation in the past, when everything was so well done, proffesionally, with attention, hard work, and tallent. And yes, natural ingredients. It s a simphony of smells, complex, I can t detect all the notes listed because the synergy created between them are very tricky and all together copmplete the mistery. I love the carnation (here it smells like in no other scent that contains carnation) and geranium. The rosewood is simply stunning, and labdanum a bit sharp when it comes out but so smooth and manly after a while. Long lasting, distinctive, it will put you totally out from the crowds. A real king, still young and handsome. I must say the honeycomb box - and all the bottles packed like this- are the best. In the red box is the reformulated version, good as well but some notes are substituted with non-natural ones and it is a bit sharp and fresher. The vintage is the real masterpiece so if you can afford, buy a vintage one and you will not regret at all.

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

I fell in love instantly. Spicy, woody and very well blended, fresh and sharp in an alluring way. Just have to smell it aggain and again.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

I thought HO HANG was Chinese for "Yellow River"...? And from the 1970's ads, above, I see that the scent was initially meant to be unisex! Odd, because it smells very butch to me.

shamus1
shamus1

I've had several bottles of Ho Hang lying around my house since 1993 (still do), yet I've never written a review of it. The reason is that I've never been able to describe what it smells like.

The notes in Ho Hang are so well blended, it's next to impossible to identify them. The only notes I can distinguish are patchouli and labdanum. Ho Hang is smooth and old school, like a cross between a 70s aromatic fougere like Paco Rabanne and a soft floral perfume for women. Some people call it a fougere, others call it an oriental. I guess it's kind of a cross between the two, though I'm reluctant to call it an oriental because it's not very sweet, and it's definitely not heavy. I can't think of any fragrance it's similar to.

All I can say is that Ho Hang is definitely a product of the 60s and 70s, so if you're into old school stuff like Chanel Pour Monsieur or Equipage, this is for you. Great fragance here.

My rating: 9/10

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

Spicy amber with just a dash of linament. The vibe is neither casual nor formal. I guess it mostly just smells like what a man would have smelled like back in the day. I get more of a 60s vibe than 70s. This, a seersucker suit, and a hot, southern day could work.

rcavs
rcavs

A spicy, non-lemony and ambery version of Chanel pour monsieur. Same old school/dated vibe.

Ho Hang, together with the original Paco Rabanne, Equipage, Grey Flannel, YSL Pour Homme, Loewe Por Homme and a bunch others represented the 70s concept of a well groomed and clean man before the advent of the powerhouse monsters of the late 70s and the 80s. it's complex yet restrained, elegant and clean before this word assumed connotations related to laundry detergents or housekeeping products.

It opens as a classic aromatic fougere (lavender, citrus, green notes and geranium) to then quickly evolve into a super clean and smooth woody oriental with just a tad of sweetness. Nothing that you haven't smelled before if you're familiar with that time masculine perfumery but what really impresses about Ho Hang is how truly sophisticated it is. It's mannered but not too dandified, clean without feeling cold or aseptic but, most of all, after basically 40 years from its original appearance on the market, it doesn't feel dated at all.

Personally, when it comes to masculines of the past, I've to say I feel more comfortable with the rebellious nature of the late 70s and the 80s. Fragrances such as Yatagan, Jules, Kouros, Bel Ami, Salvador Dali Pour Homme is where I've always been at but still, Ho Hang is definitely something not to be overlooked. A real gem.

Rating: 7.5/10

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Ho Hang is another of those vintage scents which deserve to be sought-after and loved. One of the most clean, elegant, modern classic colognes I've ever smelled. Basically it is a really cozy, traditional, fresh gentlemen fragrance with a mossy-woody base and an incredibly pleasant soapy-talc feel all over, well blending with a zesty citrus head accord and a bright heart of floral notes (the usual fougère flowers, like carnation), yet with a sharp whiff of uniqueness: a sort of slightly exotic breeze all over, sweet and resinous, spicy and dusty, a bit smoky too, completed by labdanum, tonka, patchouli and vanilla. Refined and understated, not a powerhouse but rather a clean, bright and subtle men's cologne. The smell of the smoking robe of a dandy traveller. Utter class and uniqueness, also particularly more modern than others of its era – it could be easily mistaken for a scent made a couple of years ago. It starts from a classic men's "barbershop" cologne realm, but moves on from there, exploring new territories of refinement. It has a nondescript sort of bright, clever, dandy, exotic sense of sophisticacy which is simply irresistible. The drydown, which has a discreet but long-lasting persistence, is predictably woodier and darker, with a hint of leather, always understated and quite light, made gentler and softer by the drydown of labdanum and flowers which still keep to provide a silky-talc soapy feel contrasting the mossy-herbal and woody notes. I rarely dare to say that, but: worth a purchase (at reasonable prices, obviously).

Planet_X
Planet_X

Its spicy-smoky on me. Elegant and no-nonsense lady
I wonder why the fragrance where there is no frankincense, or olibanum have such a seriously smoky aura on my skin. Labdanum plus benzoin?.. Might be. Plus rosewood and tonka bean.
Citruses brighten up a picture, but my skin swallows citruses as a hungry whale, so while other people can describe bergamot-lemon nuances I go straight to the base.
Its full-bodied, woody, spicy substantial one. Its definitely has an aura of ancient Asia to me, because of this exotic woody smokiness that I get – smell of Chinese temple
Guys on basenotes after some light-hearted collaborations came to the point that Ho Hang means “Very Lucky” in Chinese
Good luck in finding Ho Hang for yourselves then!
And my big hug for this vintage bottle goes to Italy! Thanks, iris_it!

word-doctor
word-doctor

I bought a mini because I like HHC so much and am always after hot weather scents. This is really, really good. Creed-quality, and better if you give points for projection and half-life. I get the labdanum and probably some carnation right away, with a woody undertone. In a half-hour, a really beautiful, airy patchouli shows up and stays. I don't get any of the other notes; there is a gorgeous blend apart from the three "primaries" and I don't have enough discernment to pick them out. Suffice it to say that the effect is light, assured, and excellent.

I don't get the projection that most folks seem to, perhaps because I don't have an atomizer.

There are two problems here. First, HH is discontinued and very expensive. Second, my wife doesn't like this on me. I do not resort to the "don't like it but respect it" card very often, but in this case there is a niche-quality fragrance that moves me (and which my son says is "respectable" and appropriate for me (and can he use it?))... but Mama says it's not me and gives it two thumbs down.

If you are interested in something really, really classy, invest in a mini. I may keep a little bit around just because--HH is all that.

Sillage: 5/10

mixcony
mixcony

I'm in love with this fragrance, the first formula of Ho Hang is amazing, i believe in expensive woody notes as sandalwood, and in a lot of precious ingredients really well balanced. Thsi could be a Chanel perfume, if you love Egoiste by Chanel, Ho Hang is another right choice.
Great sillage and longevity, 9,5/10

Obanonatto
Obanonatto

I do not write many words to say opinions critical, superficial and silly, this fragrance is the niche luxury that does not know, and define barber is pitiful. Anyone familiar with this fragrance would pay a ml weight in gold, why? Be honest and not envious, these should be the rule when you write here your experience.
Ho Hang is gold 24 Kt, for me 10/10

Redbeard
Redbeard

I often call it Ho Hum. It's definitely in the running among the barbershop spicy fougere clan, but I'm torn between being bored to death by it, or simply struggling to smell the spot of it that I just splashed. It opens with the same anise and powder as Jockey Club, but it's way weaker, and I feel like I'm always waiting for something interesting to happen. Eventually it gets a bit sweeter, more of a spicy oriental, but it's subtle, and the change makes it more fussy and musty to me. It really smells like 1971 in a bad way. I agree that the exotic woods become a bit more noticeable after a while, but again the change is too small for me to notice half the time, or care. The one certain thing about Ho Hang is that if I put it on in the morning, I am guaranteed to forget that I even wore cologne at all that day, and to forget what it even smelled like. It's just too dull and weak to care about.

For me the wood notes are most obvious, and they are very well rendered. Without that iso e super overload you find in many recent woody scents you get a slightly powdery and citric background to the strong wood element here. And that's it, as it's quite simple, but that doesn't detract at all. In fact, this is the kind of scent I thought I would experience when I started sampling niche a few years back! So, if you appreciate a subtle and natural smelling scent and are seeking one where wood notes dominate, this is worth sampling. There are sweet/softening notes in the base but they never become dominant.

paoloparfum
paoloparfum

Ottimo profumo, trovato a buon prezzo. Purtroppo ultime preziose confezioni. Un aroma senza tempo, caldo, raffinato,leggermente talcato

celebrity89
celebrity89

O.M.G! I found a bottle of this at Marshalls years ago and wore it for a long time. I didn't know it was for men, I just thought it was an "old lady classic".

pronose
pronose

another great scent is gone!!!!!! he may rip!

ZELJO

btw, perfumeria Laura, from Alicante, Spain, who does have online shopping, has got some small bottles of this

ZELJO

a very classy one, very much on the big retro oopah style, like Kouros etc, one of these parfums you can associate with nights of gala, was lucky enough to find small bottles of both this one and club

gerild
gerild

I LOVE HO HANG ,IT 'S MY FAVOURITE ,VERY VERY HARD ,IMPOSSIBLE,TO FIND

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

No Ho Hang Club??

Henriette
Henriette

On my husband this is magic, very classical, very elegant but with some boost. I love wearing it too on sporty occasions when the temperature is not too high.
Soft, creamy, balsamic, classic in a good sense. Not boring at all.

picasso_x
picasso_x

It's hard to find in my country. But I'm lucky to fine it. Fresh citrus open and little sweet flower,warm wood at last. Elegance and good long lasting. I love it. HO HANG is not disappointment to buy it.

guest_mariadelestrenes
guest_mariadelestrenes

Ho hang se vendia como colonia unisex, y a mi me encantaba hace 30 años, me gustaria saber si es la misma fragancia y la comprare aunque ahora sea para hombre

guest_LuriTuri
guest_LuriTuri

I am a female, and I was given Ho Hang when I was a teenager. Still my favorite, unusual, mysterious. But hard to find.

EvelynDFrech
EvelynDFrech

Wonderful! My man uses Ho Hang for exciting and inspiring moments. Lighten a cigar, put the tropic helmet on and play some grammofon records.

Herzeleid
Herzeleid

It got my attention because of the name I tried first is kind of sweet orange after a while become really good when settles in my skin, I would recomended it for office wear.

flannelman
flannelman

I was given a sample of Ho Hang years ago, immediately loved it and have been buying it ever since. This is a delightful, warm woody oriental, refined yet discrete and long-lasting. Perfect on a crisp, sunny winter day!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Balenciaga Ho Hang fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Balenciaga Ho Hang, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ho Hang by Balenciaga. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ho Hang by Balenciaga represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.