Designers » B » Woody Chypre « Groups

Ho Hang Club Balenciaga for men

Ho Hang Club Balenciaga for men
dislike

herbal

Ho Hang Club is an intense masculine scent of chypre, leather and woody character. Top notes: bergamot, lemon, artemisia, basil and coriander. Heart: jasmine, geranium, carnation, rose, orris root, cardamom, juniper berries, cypress and thyme. Base: amber, musk, moss, leather, cedar, patchouli, olibanum and styrax. Ho Hang Club was launched in 1987.

Artemisia Coriander Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Basil

Carnation Jasmine Geranium Cardamom Thyme Orris Root Rose Juniper Berries Cypress

Musk Patchouli oak moss Virginia Cedar Amber Styrax Olibanum Leather

Lord
Jazz Prestige
Witness
Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration

Ho Hang Club Fragrance Reviews

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

I like Ho Hang, I love Ho Hang Club. It's one of the rare occasions where the flanker totally blows the original out of the water.

It's mostly floral, almost to the point of being perfumey. It also has a wet, green feel to it, like a rainy day in a forest. It dries down dry and smokey.

It is elegant. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it with a tuxedo. I might wear it semi-casually on a wet, rainy day; jeans and a nice shirt with shoes. You'd be a dimwitted fool to wear this on a hot day with shorts and flip flops.

It's not old man in the slightest, but it's definitely not for kids. If the latest from Calvin Klein is your norm, let this one be. You won't like it.

As someone else said, if you're into stuff like TLPH, Gucci Nobile, original Drakkar, VCAPH, etc, this is totally worth an inexpensive blind buy on eBay.

ChrisInBrooklyn
ChrisInBrooklyn

Just got my bottle in the mail yesterday. Oooh is it lovely! Not at all what I was expecting... It's more subtle, sexy and floral that I was anticipating, but definitely a winner!

Tjokro
Tjokro

This is unique !!

I always think of glitter ball, dark smokey room, a private party, polished shoes, when I smell it. Heavy. Classy. Animalic. Not for everybody.

Still a bottle full 50 ml inside my drawer. I don't want to use it often, since I know it's hard to find.

Scent : 8
Longevity : 9
Projection : 7

GodKing
GodKing

I didn't like Ho Hang Club when I first tried it. God, was I wrong, which happens only once in a Sturgeon Moon and makes me so mad that I could curse myself. Regardless, Ho Hang Club is the epitome of a Woody Chypre fragrance; it sets the De Facto standard and I bless off on it.

When I first tried this fragrance, I wasn't very experienced with chypres and many of the the 70s and 80s powerhouse fragrance. Obviously, I have really come to love and appreciate this fragrance since opening myself up to this scent genre the past two years. Unfortunately fragrances like Ho Hang Club, Gres Cabochard, Maxim's Pour Homme, Chanel Antaeus and others are disappearing quickly or being reformulated out of recognition (e.g., Halston Z14, Halston Classic, etc.)

Performance is solid on my heavenly skin; 8+ hours and projection is above average. Much like Goldilocks searching for a cologne, this one is just right...but it's certainly not for those who love their porridge too hot or too cold.

ascotnot
ascotnot

Winner all around. Comes on strong, settles down nicely, soft and floral - just the way your evening should go. If you like Lapidus, Bogart, etc., you'll love this.

50ml bottles run $15-$25 on eBay; I'd say they're worth it.

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

RiffJim,

I don't find this awful; it's simply from another era and unfortunately continues to plague eBay because way too much of it was dumped onto the site at once, mostly in water-damaged boxes where it sits gathering dust.

If you're a fan like I am of the '80s powerhouse frags like Un Homme by Charles Jourdan, Gianfranco Ferre for Man, the original Perry Ellis Signature from 1985, Moschino Pour Homme, or Balenciaga's Pour Homme (the last of which is also piling up on eBay,) you'll likely love Ho Hang Club as well.

Maybe your name simply needs to be Sal, Vinny, or Jimmy No Neck . . .

Dorjee
Dorjee

Oh my gosh! Immediately feel so happily surprised, one for the powerful blast at the begining, realizing where all those later, similar old school/power house scents actually coming from, then fell so profoundly in love with the dry down! I came across with Kanon pour homme prior to this gem, then followed by a 2007-ish Kouros, top notes of Ho Hang Club definitely remind me that vibe, but clearly stronger, more entrenched. After a hour or two, the woody smoky dry down hit me with a lovely surprise, it’s my most addicted base notes found in Mr. Blass by Bill Blass, which I used to hoard as many as 5 bottles just simply because I cant live without the base notes there! Now what a great found did I have! HHC even has a longer performance on me, though it’s come down to a smooth, close skin mist after about five hours, it’s amazingly still staying there!
Such a great lesson that I am glad I took, to educate myself about how those wonderful, historical male fragrances have been through, from one by one another sublime milestone just like Ho Hang Club.
Bow to the far reaching masterpiece!

cytherian
cytherian

UPDATE: Going on 9 months of having this, I would have to attest that while it isn't a top favorite, it is an EDT I truly appreciate and enjoy wearing from time to time. This is a classic fragrance in every sense of the word, and a major bargain at going market prices.

If you want this general composition but with sandalwood and ginger included, with greater longevity, check out YSL Jazz Prestige.
_______________________________________________________

I bought this blind because I knew a few people who like it that share similar tastes with me. I wasn't disappointed, especially for the going prices at the moment (there appears to be a glut of 50ml bottles, so you'll do better to buy multiples of those rather than a full 100ml bottle). This is the epitome of elegance. I've never encountered a powdery floral leather so properly done so as to make it confident for men. I'm not big on carnation, but wow... is it ever so beautifully blended here. Rose, carnation, and geranium fill the floral notes group, tempered by a healthy dose of leather, styrax, olibanum, artemisia, orris root, cypress, amber and a host of other herbs. I also get a slightly smoky quality that is blended in just enough to give an accent without overstepping other notes. When I first applied this, my initial reaction was that this is a bit too powdery. Too dandified. But part of this was due to the fragrance being so new and different to my nose, and I was impatient for the dry down.

My only gripe with this fragrance is that it retreats to a skin scent in fairly short order. It is advisable to apply to clothing and/or multiple body areas for greater longevity. But wow, the compliments sure rolled in on this one. While it does have a "vintage vibe" to it, there's still a freshness that keeps it from becoming an old man's cologne. This is a first rate fragrance that flies well under the radar. I liked it at first but now after a week I'm finding that my appreciation only continues to grow.
Fragrance: 9.2/10, Projection: 6.5/10, Value 9.9/10.

lomerlaw
lomerlaw

Wow! Balenciaga's Ho Hang Club is a truly wonderful scent: a legitimately masculine floral scent that oozes quality and class. This is clearly made with top-notch, natural ingredients. There are no harsh, artificial or chemical elements at all; just a rich and silky-smooth elegance that deserves to be saved for special occasions, and savored.

Ericrico's review below captures all the elements and nuances of this magical fragrance. Balenciaga has produced the only floral fragrance that appeals to me at all, and it does so in a big way. The opening blast is almost frighteningly floral/feminine (I get a big carnation note) but that settles quite quickly into a more safely-masculine dusty-rose/amber/carnation/earthy concoction which defies the senses: how do such seemingly discordant elements fuse together so seamlessly? The basenotes still carry this floral theme, but subtly introduce more traditionally masculine smokey/musk/leather notes that combine for a wonderful long-lasting, low-sillage skin-scent.

This is a recent purchase for me, and I find that I like to spray a couple of shots to my chest and neck, and then a spray on the back of each wrist. More than any other scent I have owned, it is Ho Hang Club that has me most frequently sniffing my wrist, marveling at the slowly-changing nature of this unique fragrance.

From my perspective, Ho Hang Club should be categorized as a masculine Oriental-Floral scent. According to the description at the top of this page "Ho Hang Club is an intense masculine scent of chypre, leather and woody character." That's a misleading statement, but was probably written by a Balenciaga publicist who worried that men weren't ready for a floral fragrance in 1987. If the truth be told, even today, most men aren't ready for this kind of scent. Fewer still would consider this as a "signature scent." But those few of us who are lucky enough to track down a bottle of this discontinued gem from Balenciaga probably prefer it that way: for a few more years we will still be able to find a bottle if we look hard enough. Ho Hang Club is unlike anything else on my fragrance shelf, and the scope of my fragrance selections is greatly enhanced by its presence. On special occasions, or when I am in the mood for something completely different, this is the one I will reach for.

Sillage: 6/10 (after the first hour it's a wonderful skin-scent)

Overall: 9/10

Caveat: I don't recommend this as a blind-buy, because the florals don't work for a lot of guys, and you aren't going to find a cheap bottle.

Ciprian
Ciprian

Excellent reviews for an Excellent and Wonderful scent. Love at first smell. One of the best scent I've bought.

Iris_it
Iris_it

Not long ago a member suggested me to try Ho Hang Club and Nino Cerruti pour Homme as I love and wear Hermes Bel Ami but I would never wear Lancome Balafre in public ( although I appreciate it , I find it too masculine ) . Thank you for your excellent advice , Aafridi !

I was lucky I could test this velvety gem : Ho Hang Club has an opening to die for , so beautiful that I wish it lasted forever . I bought it immediately .
Old discontinued Balenciaga's fragrances for woman are magnificent and so are the ones for man ! I added Ho Hang Club to my Balenciaga collection , one of the best houses ever , in my opinion .

word-doctor
word-doctor

There is a really, really good perfume store that I go to 3-4 times/year. Usually, on a weekday, I'm the only customer. The clerk and I walk through and check out my long list of wants, except for those that are too expensive and must remain sealed. Great way to kill time on my way back to work.

So yesterday we tried about 15 different colognes. Some really good (Ungaro III) some disappointing (Tabac). Then I saw the long discontinued HHC. We both tried it and I paid $55 with tax, cash money.

I don't have a lot of experience with leathers. This... You'd spray your nubuck shoes with this to improve them. On skin it starts with the heady floral (carnation) noted by ericrico. On me it turns to leather within 15 minutes, with patchouli making a subtle entrance after 45 minutes. How good is it? I'd sell my plasma for it. I may go back and buy the second bottle. If it became impossible to find I would have to plunge into niche perfumes or something. Why the hell don't they make stuff like this anymore????

I'm going to try it against Guerlain's Heritage, which is the most beautiful thing I own. I know Heritage has better projection and longevity, but HHC may be just as purty and certainly is more wearable at work. Probably more appropriate than Givenchy Gentleman, my other best leather (GG has much more patchouli).

On fabric, the carnation stays and stays. I like it, though it's "hot"--very strong. My wife does NOT like it, though she does like it on skin. Take your choice.

Projects at arms length for several hours, though the fabric trick amps up both sillage and longevity. 3-6 hours with skin, longer on cloth.

Sillage: 5/10

ZELJO
ZELJO

A very gentle, quite suitable for night times male essence, belongs to same family of strong ones like Rive gauche,Opium, Antaeus, etc, but, sadly,lasting power is poorest than in all of these

ericrico
ericrico

Ho Hang Club is a brilliant masterpiece created 10-15 later than it smells...yet, timeless is the beauty of this. Its amazing, rich and transcendent composition can only come from one house...Balenciaga! Adoration...pure, humble adoration is what this scent evokes. It opens with a brilliant chypre vibe that is of THE highest quality - a burst of bergamot and basil are the main notes, blended with a nice dusting of coriander - with a rich, gorgeous and deep note of carnation underneath (perhaps one of the best presentations of this wonderful floral note in fragrance I have ever found - oh, how I wonder how this would smell next to a Malmaison Carnation from the times of days past in Victorian England when Oscar Wilde wore a fresh bloom).

This is nearly immediately blended with the main focus of this scent - the glorious heart, that emanates its rhythmic pulse within a minute of the opening blast...smooth and creamy florals that only a Balenciaga scent can wrap in a bouquet. The carnation is initially sharp, combined with the nice spike of bergamot on top - but it tones down to a warm "mid-range", smooth accord that never fades until this is off your body. The earthy geranium & spicy cardamom blend in, with the slightly-powdery jasmine ...all supported by two essential ingredients - orris root (perfection here) and a wonderful, elegant rose note. Absolutely stunning! Yes - this is a full bouquet, that seems to radiate from your skin...but not too loudly. While this may be a full-bodied composition, it stays wonderfully fragrant and aromatic. While the juniper and cypress give it a nice fragrant lift (and greenness to the bouquet)...it never ceases to amaze me just how amazingly smooth this fragrance is - and how the florals can all be picked out individually! Incredible.

It is one of the best skin scents I have ever smelled - and that says a lot. But, then again, Balenciaga Pour Homme is one of my top fragrances of all time. People mention the "honey accord of Balenciaga". There is a light 'sweetness' here from all the blended florals and warm amber (and an incredible soft and smooth feel), but also a nice light, powdery quality. I, personally do not get honey as a note - but Balenciaga does use styrax very well here as a key note as the house does in other top-shelf bottlings, which offers a deep resinous quality. The melange of incredible florals could create a honey accord to some with the styrax, perhaps, but I feel it is the quality of the ingredients (and depth) that create a warm and sensuous smooth quality (a "vibe" more than an accord) that is the signature of the brilliant house of Balenciaga.

I get richness that spills over and evokes an image of sheer beauty and harmony. It smells like only something Balenciaga could (and would) put in a bottle. The smokiness comes in from the olibanum (incense) and rich, luxurious leather - definitely an elegant "club"-aroma is created...a dimly lit room with a bit of smoke in the air, warm leather booths surrounding candlelit tables, cocktails and live music. If this came from another house, it would be off-putting or terribly blended - virtually impossible to create this ambiance in a bottle. The composition takes an incredible touch and a brass pair to even think of pulling this off! And, it's done incredibly well.

It is epic in its purity and the ingredients are as rich as one needs to ever satisfy their soul. But, herein lies the beauty - it is not too overtly loud (after the first 5-10 minutes, it becomes a gorgeous fragrant skin scent that creates an aura around you...but it does not have the power of the 1990 Pour Homme bottle and I would not consider it a powerhouse, nor would I want it to be one.) The beauty is its balance and wonderful light feel.

The base notes are in perfect proportion - carrying the magnificent heart. Main notes are the beautiful florals on a bed of wonderful, green patchouli, warm musk & amber, the previously mentioned slightly smoky olibanum, styrax, and plush leather. I detect a touch of dried cedar and the moss is light and a nice green note (not heavy at all). This stays floral and fresh with a beautiful oriental vibe in the drydown...and not too woody. I would personally call it an Oriental Chypre - Ho Hang Club is unique and truly top-shelf.

This is for people who appreciate fragrance at his highest quality. My score - perfection on scent alone! Longevity is good, but Bigsly is correct - projection is moderate. But, after several wearings, I wonder if I would want it to be any louder...again, I think not. This is for those who have quiet confidence and swagger. Ho Hang Club is "exclusive" - only those in the "know" should attempt to wear this. Overall score - 9.5+/10. Another masterpiece from the house of Balenciaga. There are great fragrances, classic scents and then masterpieces. If this was music, it would be smooth jazz. Sheer brilliance in a bottle...

This is a very gentle blend, unlike what you would expect from a fragrance released in 1987. The opening is interesting, unique to my knowledge, but doesn't last all that long. The drydown reminds me of Giorgio for Men VIP. This is quite floral and I think some women might want to give it a chance, especially if they like the idea of a scent that can give off the impression of mild tobacco. The balance is very good and it's certainly natural smelling. Some might consider this too powdery, and so for formal occasions only (since it's not more than a bit sweet), leading me to think it is more for the aficionado. This is one of those rare 80s scents that works and doesn't have any obvious lavender, if it has any at all. Nor does it possess any obvious aroma chemicals, such as dihydromyrcenol, which means it has a niche-like quality these days (though most niche is rather clumsy compared to this one).