Designers » B » Chypre Floral « Groups

Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women

Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women
dislike

aldehydic
Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women Pictures Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women Pictures Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women Pictures Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women Pictures Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women Pictures Le Dix Perfume Balenciaga for women Pictures

Le Dix Perfume was launched in 1947 as a gentle, classic floral scent for evening. Delicate, powdery, dark violets can be felt through a sparkling veil of bergamot and lemon, giving the main motive to the whole composition. The opulent heart opens with rose and ylang-ylang and, after a while, their strong floral scent is toned down by aldehydes. Subtle vanilla dominates in the base bringing an interesting accord into this classic composition. The notes are: bergamot, lemon, ylang-ylang, rose, lily-of-the-valley, iris, musk, vanilla, sandalwood and vetiver. The nose behind this fragrance is Francis Fabron.

Aldehydes Coriander Peach Bergamot Lemon

Lilac Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Peru Balsam Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Benzoin Civet Vanilla Vetiver

Iris

Le Dix Perfume Fragrance Reviews

socorrosouza
socorrosouza

When I was a child a neighbor had a great collection of vintage perfumes from the 20/30/40/50s that she kept in the fridge. This was my favorite, along with Muguet du Bonheur (Caron), Le de Givenchy and Miss Dior. Fabulous , exceptional and long lasting !!!!!!

theladymay
theladymay

Not sure why Fragrantica chose "floral chypre" as the category for an old school aldehydic floral that contains no oakmoss, but whatever you call it, Le Dix is a beautiful and utterly well done ultra feminine French classic perfume. Looking at the notes pyramid here, the lack of violet seems like a glaring omission. Maybe it's truly lilac, but it seems more violet than almost anything I've ever encountered. Le Dix is very much about two currently unpopular notes - sparkling, strong aldehydes and powdery violet. Be warned that Le Dix features a ton of both - if those are difficult notes for you, this is one to avoid. Violet is a big part of what makes it both 'Bank of England' to some and more down to earth, approachable and sweet than Chanel No 5. The floral heart is gorgeous and the ambery benzoin sandalwood base is hugely reminiscent of vintage Givenchy L'Interdit. Not a surprise to learn that Francis Fabron was the nose for this as well as for another of my very favorite aldehydics, Piguet's Baghari. All three share a lovely DNA that sets them apart from other similar aldehydic perfumes.
I have worn Le Dix made through the years from the late 40s through the 80s, in both parfum and eau de toilette. It's been 'out of style' or 'dated' since before I was born (which was a very long time ago) and yet when I've worn it out I invariably get at least one "What is that - it's so pretty?" comment. Nope, not what you probably want to wear to the club. But if you're a perfumista you owe it to yourself to spend a little time with it if you ever get a chance, if only to experience a really well made French classic perfume that is not Chanel No. 5. =)

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I got hold of a vintage bottle of Le Dix-not sure of the date but the bottle looks very 1970s. I don't get the comparison with Chanel No 5 except that both evoke the same sort of atmosphere to me. This is a gorgeous masterpiece-starting out with a sweet powdery burst of soft violet and drying down to a refined and elegant musk with a hint of underlying animal sensuality. The sweetness isn't sickly, its smokey and earthy, but still lady like and demure because of the floral notes. I absolutely love this-although it has a vintage feel to it its not dated at all. I think this is up there with L'Heure Blue as one of the best.

Kiku
Kiku

Classic. From it's fruity/citrus/lilac opening to the soft rose/lily of the valley/iris heart to the warm vanilla/sandalwood drydown it is a combination of the most classic notes. It's like a sweeter, friendlier version of Chanel No 5. Chanel must have a better publicity machine than Balenciaga. There's no other reason why the superior Le Dix has disappeared while the overrated No 5 endures. Very hard to find but worth the search.

danieq
danieq

To me, this is the classic makeup vibe, but amped up to be more sophisticated than some. It's got a spicy powder puff feeling. I smells like a very soft, elegant pink, if smell could be color. I don't get the association to No 5 that gets mentioned, to me, they have nothing in common. I'd say that if you don't enjoy vintage in general, this is not likely for you. But if you do enjoy that vintage, powerful, elegant style of scent, give it a try. I do find the longevity to be less than I might have expected from a vintage. It wears very close to the skin also.

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

Classic aldehydic floral in the style of Chanel 5 and Le Gallion Sortilege.

Lovely but very dated. For true vintage lovers only, I feel. Although I like this I don't feel I would ever actually use it if I had a bottle.

PDC
PDC

I love the bottle, I like the notes and do like the opening therefor it's such a shame I don't like what happens next on my skin. It get's too (vanilla) sweet and 'sweet' is not even listed in the accords!

Balenciaga's Prelude does have 'sweet' as a main accord but it's not nearly as sweet as Le Dix.

henri345que
henri345que

There is no doubt that you are wearing a classic fragrance from the past upon spraying this revered Balenciaga creation on skin. Le Dix has that type of more complex glamour than the one we witness in the market lately and its olfactive signature, a floral chypre rich in aldehydes, is tipical of its era. Le Dix is apparently knonw for some as the 'Chanel No 5 with violets', which somehow does make sense, but for me it reminds me more in style to a Rochas creation a little bit earlier than it, Audace, because both has an aroma saturade in a violet of an aroma which is green, slightly plastic, sweet and powdery. The similarty with Chanel No 5 might be due the aldehidic intensity wherewith Le Dix opens. The aldehydes here has for me a slightly powdery aroma and they give me a very clean and brighimpression. After them Le Dix is dominated by the sober violet smell, more earthy and green than sweet as was aforementioned. I think it's interesting that in this moment i can already presence a tiny use of civet in this composition, giving it an animalic touch that doesn't make it dirty. Le Dix base is fantastic, switching between moments of a slightly mossy and dry woody aroma and moments where you notice a creaminess with incense nuances typical of a good mysore sandalwood or a good mysore sandalwood accord. Le Dix smells like grownup sophistication from the beginning until the end.

Scented Demented
Scented Demented

How I would love to own a bottle of this again. Sadly, it's rarity and price means all I own now are it's beautiful memories.
sigh

nexangelus
nexangelus

Vintage Le Dix sample from 4160 Tuesdays.

Whew! It is eyewateringly strong to begin with. Smallest dab needed. Spicy aldehyde and citrus blast that eventually settles to a musky lilac with strong woody resinous base as you breathe it in deeply. I am getting lots of sandalwood and powdery lilac.

Next stop Chanel No. 5?

irisjetaime

If Heaven was perfumed, it would smell "Le Dix"....
Imagine angels living on a powdered cloud eating violet flavored candies.
Cupidon has an only one aim : your heart girls !!!!

lannyM
lannyM

I miss this frag. I got this 1996. It's nice but i think good to wear if go to party.

PurpleLilac
PurpleLilac

A sweeter version of Chanel #5!

Scentmad
Scentmad

A Rosy, Parma violets, powdery confection. Really lovely if you're of a certain age. I snagged a vintage bottle and I am not sorry however I may wait 20+ years before I wear its because it does have that old lady with cash in the bank waft. It's like Blue Grass and Chanel 5 mixed with Rochas' Femme. Classy though.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

Ode to Le Dix -

Do not fear the nice-girl-demure-image review as unsexy. You will err.
Le Dix is an "I have no idea I'm hot as hell and don't care if I am."
That is precisely what makes this fragrance so innocent and oh so very incredibly classy/sexy.

One of the most divine fragrances ever created; in my top three most fabby of all times, a masterful blend of everything lovely, beautiful, elegant, gracious and refined. I detect the woodsy notes and roses as most dominant, but the lilac and iris are in full bloom also. Le Dix has the old time glamour of days gone by without smelling musty/old in any fashion. I cannot help but think of Grace Kelly (Princess Grace of Monaco) when I smell this amazing fragrance. Hers is the face I see when I inhale this divine elixir. This work of art has a psychology that brings out the best in me, and I am so in love. *smiles*

Le Dix is an actual woman and her kind is rare. Everyone is drawn to Le Dix and she is always the center of attention. Everywhere. All the time. Men are crazy about her. Women want to be her. Some women wish to hate her out of envy but are compelled to love her despite themselves as she is the epitome of “woman” and “lady” in every way. Le Dix is gracious to everyone. She is kind, witty, sharp, soft and unintentionally funny at the same time. She is so genuine no one even thinks of her as phony or insincere because it is nowhere in her. She knows how to work a room and reaches out to others always smiling with eyes aglow; large, shimmering pools reflecting the fine treasure of her true spirit... and she is true. Almost too good to be true.

People naturally flock to Le Dix as she sees the best in everyone and embraces them for who they are. Sitting in on gossip is beneath her. She has no time for such nonsense because Le DIX’... has people to meet and love. Because she is so drawn to others and their beauty, Le Dix is a magnet always surrounded by fans she calls her friends. Never crass yet charming, delightful and fun enough to laugh along with the rest and she does enjoy a good, naughty joke. Le Dix laughs a lot. Her laughter is like jazz music. Just the sound of her laugh gives even the most melancholic a sense everything will be alright, and she always leaves everyone happier than they were. Le Dix would prefer the night in a powder room giving solace to a female stranger in despair over The Event of The Year; grabbing tissues, sharing her lipstick and fragrance. Before long, the disparaged stranger is Le Dix’s new friend in the mood for a great night.

She is no angel or goody-goody nor pretends to be. Most people are aware of her dalliances because everyone wants to know everything about Le Dix. Her private life is hard to hide. She is discreet but word hits the streets and she is unapologetic. She is as sexy as sexy gets; a natural born goddess in every way but she does not view herself that way. Le Dix is loving, lovable, refined, generous, kind, cool, warm, ridiculously gorgeous, demure, tender, forgiving, humble... and that is genuinely who she is. There is nothing to dislike about Le Dix. She is absolutely perfect except for one thing. She has no idea how incredible she really is and feels blushy and undeserving when people tell her. Le Dix... is the most beautiful woman in the world.... and she doesn't even know or care.

Meravigliosa Cristobal Balenciaga Le Dix! *stands and applauds*

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

I can imagine Simone de Beauvoir when I wear Le Dix. I imagine her to have been the sort of woman who is totally intimidating and aloof, but very warm and generous at the same time. Someone who never laughs just to be nice or to be polite, and especially not at anything that she doesn't genuinely find humorous -- but has a razor sharp wit that can get you addicted to listening in on her conversations.

Difficult to initially get close to, but with a depth of heart and absolute sincerity that makes you value her presence in your life. This is not a flirty voluptuous girl out to seduce anyone. This is an extremely sexy woman who doesn't lose herself easily, who is always absorbed working on interesting projects for herself. Her love life is passionate but is a total mystery.

leducdenemours
leducdenemours

The very first time I ever was in the presence of Le Dix, by Balenciaga.
I was only in my early teens, and my mum was finishing getting ready in her bedroom.
I walked into the room, as I was ready, to go out with her on some errand.
When she gently sprayed some of Le Dix on her, I had the same sensation as if I was walking into a candy shop, and 1000 bottles of the most magnificent and delicious sweets, were all opened around me.
The intensity of the impact of that fragrance on my senses then, was extraordinary, overwhelming. It felt surreal, dreamy, warm, magical, beautiful.
This is the most memorable and wonderful experience I have ever had with any perfume or fragrance in my entire life.
That was in the late 1970s.
It's never happened again since.
Le Dix. Thank you.

stormyla
stormyla

This is one of the most beautiful fragrances ever created. I get the violets, then the lilacs and the most incredibly soft rose.The powder is not overwhelming as some can be. The aldehydes are not harsh. In fact this fragrance seems to have no edges at all,just one continuously evolving rapturous symphony of notes.

Waft after waft of the most gorgeous floral scents caress the air around me. I think that the fragrance of most floral bouquets would pale in comparison to the scents that envelope me.

Oh, the drydown is wonderful, warm,slightly spicy, resinous vanilla. This fragrance makes me feel young, beautiful and sophisticated, but also playful and able to laugh at myself. That's a truly unexpected reaction to such a grand old dame of a scent. This one makes me want to dance!

I've tried a few different bottles of this, all vintage,both EDT and parfum. My parfums are in the old rounded ribbed squat crystal bottles. My EDT's are the ones in the tall oval ribbed bottles,all dabbers. Every one is divine. Sillage is very nice and longevity is at least 5+ hours. Le Dix is really worthy of the search!

SixSidedTippy
SixSidedTippy

I purchased a one-ounce, crystal bottle of vintage parfum in an oval, white, embossed box off eBay for $56.99 US and this is a beautifully formulated fragrance. I have to agree with other reviewers in saying that the strongest note is violet rather than lilac and I am not really picking up any orris root or civet. This fragrance is exceptionally smooth, well crafted and holds the violet scent which many violet fragrances fail to do. As many of you are aware, violet can be fleeting and elusive. I purchased this blind and was influenced by the reviews here on Fragrantica. I want to thank all of you for your exceptional input.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Aldehydic florals are a peculiar genre. They are all remarkably similar in structure - which makes the differences easier to pick out. Once isolated, you can really see the signature of the perfumer in these subtle nuances. Le Dix is no exception, and between the lines one can sense the individual style of the perfumer Francis Fabron (author of L'Interdit, Monsieur de Givenchy, L'Air du Temps, and many other great fragrances that may or may not be attributed to him).

A gorgeous aldehydic burst opens on top with the typical champagne sparkle and French flair of the genre. Almost immediately, an assertive floral bouquet splashes over the scent like whitewash creating a gorgeously ambiguous soapy floral, talc white and almost glowing with radiant feminine intensity. Heaps of powder fall upon the starched white and purple florals and the whole thing is absolutely resplendent!

The whiteness doesn't quite fade; the heart and base notes fade into view like when your eyes adjust to a very dark room. Underneath all that powder and jubilant fluorescence is a sexy, resinous, balsamic sandalwood base - the very same one that L'Interdit was later built entirely upon. An animalic breathy warmth hints of naked bodies under newly laundered sheets as the gorgeous base comes into view. The woody accord is absolutely brilliant. This sexy floral Nag Champa drydown goes on for hours, never quite losing the light starched joy of the florals.

Though it is absolutely dated right to its release date, it's not at all difficult! Quite honestly, this is one of the best floral aldehyde fragrances I've ever tried and by far the most joyous and youthful.

Reviewed is a very vintage "Bath & Skin Essence" concentration.

motherbird247
motherbird247

I am curious why this is listed as a chypre? It does not seem to have the ingredients, but as I am just learning am I mistaken?

vintage78
vintage78

I have an almost full 30 ml bottle of Le Dix EDT. Message me if interested.

Dinkum
Dinkum

This is for the vintage EDT:

Le Dix made makes me smile when I sniff it. Such a lovely scent! First there´s all those gorgeous violets...

Later: Woke up in the middle of night, smelled my wrist, still half asleep. Oh my! A little civet cat has strolled through the violets, sniffed around and decided to leave a mark. Nice, really nice! I do love some naughty cat butt with my violets!

I´m only I tiny bit "blue", not knowing when I´ll be able to find some more of this absolutely stunning juice.

Vivala
Vivala

C.Howards Violet Candy... on the nose (no pun intended).

I just received 1 and 3/4 ounces of vintage Le Dix Perfume Essence Bath Oil... oh my. I love violet candy. . . and violets, for that matter. . . but I don't think I can work with this Balenciaga nectar!

The Estonian site also lists civet, amber, Peru balsam, and benzoin as base notes, though I don't get these in any strength. I agree with those who like the violet-like presentation here, and it's certainly fine for men who like florals, IMO (less "feminine" than the opening of vintage Insense, for example). I also agree that the base shares a lot in common with Chanel No. 5, but this scent is not as sharp, which makes it more wearable to me (aldehydes here seem toned down quite a bit). Of course with vintage scents you don't know if it's just because much of the top notes are lost. No matter, I enjoy this one; it does everything right, though I'd guess for some people it has no "wow factor."

irisjetaime

I will never thank my mum enough to have made me discover this perfume when i was a little girl.

Balenciaga is the Emperor of the perfumes with "Le Dix" and "Quadrille". Two discontinued (sad) scents in our "boudoir"... ;O)

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Oh Le Dix...where have you been all my life? This is the one. The violet I have been searching for...
My sample of vintage EDT just arrived today and it was love at first sniff. Not one that had to grow on me first, or that I really had to think about at all. It is a glorious vintage chypre. I don't get lilacs, I get violets. This has wonderful, powdery rich violet accords.

Le Dix is so romantic to me... It is like a deep purple violet powder sachet tucked away in the drawer of an old vintage vanity along side of some precious love letters turned sepia colored from time. A beautiful old vintage scent that I will wear close to my heart. I just bought a vintage EDP bottle now I can't wait to get in the mail! I'm so excited!
I am discovering that ylang-ylang is a beautiful note in so many of my favorite perfumes

Lesley-Jean
Lesley-Jean

I won a bottle of this on the aeroplane on our way to UK and Europe back in 1976. I loved it and wore it all through these countries, so everytime I smell the fragrance, it takes me back there. Keep hoping someone will give it to me as a gift.

dlane1953
dlane1953

Le Dix is a classic chypre and one of the best of its genre. I've been able to buy it online and thank goodness for that; it's extraordinarily beautiful. My bottle dates to the 70s, I think, and to my nose every note is a luscious treat.

The opening notes are aldehydes (but gently done), a touch of coriander, and the classic chypre elements of bergamot and lemon. A very soft opening for a chypre; all notes are balanced. I think that for those who're just beginning to explore chypres this is a grand place to start; Le Dix doesn't blast the nasal passages with sharpness. All notes are lovely.

The middle notes are also soft and rounded, the lilac is predominant at first. (BIG lilac,the old-fashioned kind, the type that grew in Grandma's yard, not the more delicate white lilac). The sweet accords of jasmine, lily of the valley, ylang-ylang and a touch of soft rose deepens the floral note and continues to develop this lovely theme for a very long time.

Now the basenotes: for a chypre lover, it just doesn't get any better than this! All of the classic elements are there, but none dominates. Besides the above-listed accords, (resins, musk, sandalwood, tonka, and vetiver) I detect civit. That touch of civit is what lifts this fragrance to the level of perfection in my eyes (nose?). Think of an orchestra without a cello. Civit adds that deep note that makes this fragrance so special. Great sillage, great longevity. Apply sparingly, this is a potent fragrances.

Le Dix is the perfect night time scent. Too sensual for daytime, I think.

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

One of my most treasured finds is a vintage 3 fl.oz flacon of Le Dix Parfum that is still sealed with black silk chord and a waxy membrane surrounding the stopper finial & bottle lip. About one third of this gorgeous 'juice' has been lost due to natural evaporation. Housed in original coffret with the flacon sitting snugly in it's raised presentation dais. Most impressive indeed ! I imagine it's now more 'Extract' than 'Parfum'.
My memory of this fragrance is permanently seared into my olfactory hard-drive as this perfume was worn by my beloved Grandmother for as long as I can recall.
The bottle always fascinated me with it's umbrella shaped stopper & the way light would refract through the highly chiseled & polished panels of the base.

For me this delicious perfume connects me to the past evoking childhood memories of freshly made strawberry sorbet, lemon meringue and my Grandfather's lovingly tended rose gardens hedged by ferns and soft velvety mosses.
The integrity of this liquid gold is perfectly intact as a smudge of evaporated 'jus' from just under the stopper held for a good twelve hours without aberration on my skin.
The dry-down is completely seamless, a symphony of Hesperides, lush Florals, rare Resins and now obselete Nitro-musks.
Magnificent !
The only concentration presently available and in fact almost impossible to find is in the form of the eau de Toilette ?
Le Dix still endures.

Merci' . . Monsieur Fabron !

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I am fairly certain my EDT sample has begun to turn, because the opening notes I get are fizzy varnish and soured citrus. The aldehydes must be completely degraded. After that unintended phase passes, the scent feels like a classic chypre floral, a little green and a little citrusy. I couldn't specifically detect the ylang everyone else smells in the composition, but again, my sample has clearly begun to turn. The dry down presents a deep violet note laced with subtle powdery rose, and the warmth of the base emerges, mostly with sandalwood to my nose.

To be honest, this is the first violet-dominant scent that I have been able to wear and enjoy! It feels extremely well balanced, and very sophisticated. What frustrates me is that a scent like this would be discontinued, when it seems like it would easily suit so many women!

Please bring it back!!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I have an old mini-bottle of this, probably dating from the 1980s, but it seems as good as new. I suspect that it’s been reformulated since then, so this is a review of the version produced about 25 years ago. It starts out with a cloud of powdery-leathery violet, some aldehydic citrus notes, a touch of fruitiness, maybe plum or peach, and a little hint of rose.

After a while, an occasional current of ylang-ylang pokes its way through to flirt with my nose, and I can almost detect a lilac note, built around the ylang-ylang. About an hour into the drydown, sandalwood makes an appearance along with the vanilla-tonka base notes and just the slightest hint of something animalic.

Le Dix (at least the one I have) is a complex and classic scent that is still very wearable today. I like the fact that it shape-shifts during the wearing from an aldehydic floral to a warm oriental. I’m glad I revisited this one, which I enjoyed wearing occasionally many years ago. It’s nice to know that it’s just as I remember it.

Henriette
Henriette

Another lovely perfume so hard to come by. I wonder why. Its powdery note melts into green in an elegant combination. You can't be wrong with Le Dix, perfect for elegant and sporty occasions. The ideal scent if after working hours you go directly to dine with someone important (either for your business or your heart).

picasso_x
picasso_x

I buy this perfume for my mum. It' s so elegance. Best perfume of ylang ylang olfaction. Long lasting more than 6 hrs. Very feminine and so beautiful perfume. Le Dix is hard to find in my country. So expensive.

passionata20
passionata20

I have purchased a bottle of 15ml of vintage pure parfum version (in a bottle like on the last picture above but with a liquid of dark amber colour instead of light golden) hoping it will be something good but it isn´t. At least for my nose. Maybe today i am not in the best mood for trying perfumes or the weather isn´t right??
It smelled quite nice out of the bottle, but then when i have applied it it didn´t turn out so good as it was in the bottle. I smelled strange combination of notes i can´t even desribe. My association with the smell was : the smell of gouache that is used for painting. I remeber when i was a kid, back in USSR we had a gouache that smelled exactly the same, when it was drying down. But there is also an addition of some note i can´t describe to that note. Bergamote maybe?
Now after 3 hours after applying this one is has turned into dusty smell. The smell of powder. I can feel it from a distance, but when i sniff my wrists i surprisingly cannot smell much powder, but some flower note (must be violets). But still the smell of powder is in my throat already, i can feel it there.
I am really not into this type of perfume. I have smelled the vintage "Chanel no5" pure parfum from the 80´s and it has no resemblance to "Le dix", at least to my nose. Maybe the even older Chanel version does, but not the 80´s. To me "Le dix" on the drtdown smells almost the same as Houbigant´s "Chantilly" actually.
Have to try it once again later this fall, since it is not a warmer days fragrance i guess. To me this is definitly an "old" fragrance (well mine is indeed an old one, but i guess you understand what i mean).

Please do not remove this comment, since others might find it useful. Not every review should be positive, so people like me wanted to make a blind buy might find it very informative. Thanks.

alex12cats
alex12cats

Today,a parcel arrived on my doorstep with a bottle of Le Dix. I had a small bottle many years ago in my 20's, along with others such as Cabochard, Caleche and Ivoire. Then after the 70's and 80's, I was into light, airy and citrus fragrances such as Issey Miyake and Annick Goutal's Eau de Sud etc. And Le Dix and others were soon forgotten. In the last year or so, my interest and passion began for niche perfumes such as By Kilian, Parfumerie Generale, Serge Lutens and others. In my manic search of amazing scents, I have to my surprise come back to perfumes by Rochas, Balenciaga, Balmain, and Guerlain amongst others (L'Heure Bleue and Vol de Nuit). Some have been discontinued and some I must admit have been slightly reformulated. My first spray of Le Dix today was magical. She is still as soft and violety and delicate as I remember all those years ago. The hunt for a bottle has been worth it!

latelittlesleeper
latelittlesleeper

This is for the modern edt:

I don't think I've enjoyed another perfume that has moved through such obvious scent stages.

The initial blast of Le Dix is bright, poppy aldehydes and violets. Someone said that Le Dix is truly a LILAC scent but I smell perfumey violets and that's it.

Later on, the violet becomes a bit powdery, very old fashioned. Like a powdery violet satchel.

And then underneath that, a sort of...queer animalic muskiness, unexpected and a bit vanilla-sweet and dirty.

There is just such a great juxtaposition here, between these ladylike violets and this unexpected, raunchy musk.

imoore
imoore

At last!!!

It is here with me, and I promise I will make it last for a long long time!
First impression: it is good!
Second: it is very good!

A noghty floral aldehide with lots of
fresh crisp lilac.

And for the Chanel 5 ladies.

In my opinion it is not as juicy and sweet as Chanel 5 which I do not like at all, but I love La Dix.

10 out of 10 just like it's Title.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Finally obtained a sample today: I have been looking forward to trying this one for some time.
The opening was much sweeter than i expected or enjoyed and there was indeed a light powdery edge to the fragrance. In the next phase of the development, I registered a distinctly metallic synthetic edge, reminiscent of Chantilly, but lighter and with a spicy edge. From there, the scent faded and did not last very long at all. While it is a nice fragrance, it did not capture my heart or my nose, and it will not be on my purchase list, but I will likely use the sample vial once in a while.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Very reminiscent of chanel No. 5 and Nocturnes by Caron.
Le Dix does have that powdery and spicy heart of No.5 but the powder is sweeter and lighter.

My only complaint is that the EDT fades pretty quickly.

moly
moly

I tested it today and I agree - this is rather aldehyde perfume. I'm in love with chypres, but floral aldehydes are not my cup of tea. The same is with Le Dix but only for about two hours. After that time soap disappears on my skin and all that's left is delightful. I'm going to test it at least once more, Le Dix is so sophisticated and complex that it needs time and respect to understand it better.

To be honest, this masterpiece comes to my nose more in the category Floral Aldehydes. It is in the same category as Chanel N5, Madame Rochas, Arpege. It is a MASTERPIECE!

Balenciaga LE DIX is a magnificent creation: rich and complex with a lengthy development trajectory and extraordinary potency and longevity. The edt wears like perfume on my skin.

I cannot believe that I never tried this 1947 masterpiece before! It reminds me, in waves, of both ARPEGE and BULGARI POUR FEMME, but the drydown is a slightly sweet, smooth oriental which is what I think that I was imagining THE ONE would be. Next to LE DIX, THE ONE is simply insipid.

Although the list of notes looks a bit forbidding, everything, including the aldehydes and the civet, is perfectly measured to produce a luxurious, ambery, woody resinous floral fragrance featuring both rose and ylang, in addition to jasmine and lily of the valley. The tolu balsam and benzoin sustain the whole gorgeous complex, and the light touch of vanilla and tonka makes the drydown slightly sweet. Beautiful!

Sassy1
Sassy1

Bright and sparkly, slightly peppery citrus then soft almost powdery florals, dominated by the iris I think. The aldehydes seem to drift in and out all the way to the drydown which is grassy cool with a touch of sandalwood and vanilla. Lovely.
A confident day scent for the professional woman if used lightly but really would go best with an evening gown and the opera.

kiwinzer
kiwinzer

After 25 years I still can not get enough of Le Dix , I feel so warm and dreamy, happy, calm and at peace wearing it. we have a very strict budget but this is one thing I will not go with out

libertybelle
libertybelle

The reissue: I find it soft and slightly powdery. I get the bergamot and lilac at the opening. The rose becomes more apparent as the fragrance wears. It's feminine and totally wearable.

mahanta
mahanta

It's heady, strong and elegant. Violets? Only in the very beginning; later they transform into lilac reminding me of my homeland in late spring (every lilac lover should visit Latvia end of May-beginning of June; lilac country should be our second name;). Somehow I have a feeling that the key composition for Balenciaga's creations is this civet-vetiver-Tolu balsam compound - it gives to the perfume a slight notion of nastiness. I wonder who the nose was - he must have been a real expert in women's nature;D

I beg your pardon - here comes part two Le Dix:
... she must not only have been kind and gentle but also an elegant lady with a surprisingly strong will - a smell like a person you can count on because it will always surprise you with goodness and warmth - one you won't want to wait for until the evening comes - so I will invite Le Dix to stay with me all day and night.

guest_MokkaTheCat

When I finally dared to give Le Dix to myself as a present what came to my mind was: "Now I know why my dad has been missing my mother all his life". This perfume is an answer to many of those questions of a daughter who didn't know her mum - now I know a lot more: she must have been very kind and gentle

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Live testing going on on my wrist as we speak!The top feels very up-to-date, in a style similar to kenzo-flower. A lipstick-make-up-bag smell dominates, along with that of aldehydic soap.

Lemon/aldehydes/ylang-ylang are the main players at first.
Then rose and lilac appear blushing the composition.
The base isn't warm and it has a "wax"sensation. It must be the resins than the woods that carry its weight.

Overall,it is classy and distinctive,but I personally found it headache giving like a high-pitched noise.

capless
capless

I first found this scent in a set of mini's at an airport duty-free shop in Canada back in the 1970's. I've had a bottle ever since (not the same one of course). This is another scent that is hard to pin down but the subtle violet is a note I can pick out. I like the fact that it's not worn by many so others seem to pick up on it and ask what I'm wearing. I've yet to find anyone that has even heard of it.

lillian
lillian

I had forgotten I had this in my mid twenties and so much wish to try it again -it was lovely, the violet was foremost whin I wore it and seemed so right for me.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Yes! This is definitely akin to Chanel No. 5 done with violets...and the execution is much better. The violets are dusky, powdery, and juicy at the same time, with some rose in there to add body.

The base is quiet with gentle and sensual notes of vanilla, sandalwood and musk and a little vetiver.

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

Strangely despite violet not being mentioned it has a straong smell of them. It is a lasting fragrance on me but gets a bit musty by the end of the day. A classic beauty.

Mals86
Mals86

Recently I bought a mini bottle of the parfum. It was a bit of a risk, since I hadn't sniffed it, but it was only a little more expensive than a sample, so I thought it might be worth it.

It's lovely. It does seem like a product of its age -- a classic, aldehydic floral -- but I rather like that. You're certainly not going to be smelling this one all over the mall. (And I'm not surprised that susieqrj didn't like it as a 10-year-old. She's right, it's far too sophisticated for a preteen, or even a teenager, I think. Not because young women aren't sophisticated, but because this one is Classic Perfume Style, and rather out of fashion these days.)

It does begin with aldehydes and some light citrus. I keep reading reviews that mention violet -- but I don't get violet at all. Where's my violet? That would have been preferable, to my nose, to the big ambery Mitsouko-like peach I did get.

Rather quickly Le Dix moved on to its elegant floral heart, in my opinion dominated by rose, jasmine, and ylang. It's very nice, reminiscent in a distant sense of some of Chanel's classic fragrances (No. 5, No. 22). This phase is probably my favorite.

Elsewhere I read that Le Dix's drydown was reminiscent of that of Bois des Iles. I love Bois des Iles, and I was excited to try something similar. Alas, I was disappointed. It's not that the drydown is unpleasant at all, but I didn't think it was much like Bois des Iles' warm, woody base. The vetiver and benzoin seem to come to the front, in my opinion, in Le Dix's drydown. In fact, although it doesn't SMELL like vintage Chanel No. 19's dry leathery vetiver, it is similar in FEEL: dry, cool, competent, professional, succinct.

I should point out that I adore No. 19 and the way it makes me feel in charge of my own destiny. Le Dix, although its heart is soft and florally lovely, reminded me very much of 19 in the way it affected my attitude. It's one of those scents I'll use when I want to be efficient and professional. A true classic.

susieqrj
susieqrj

I don´t have nice impressions about this one. It happens because I got this perfume as a gift when I was 10 years old and it is very strong for a kid. What my aunt was thinking? (lol)