Designers » B » Oriental Woody « Groups

Rumba Balenciaga for women

Rumba Balenciaga for women
dislike

Rumba Balenciaga for women Pictures Rumba Balenciaga for women Pictures Rumba Balenciaga for women Pictures Rumba Balenciaga for women Pictures Rumba Balenciaga for women Pictures

Rumba is a passionate dance with notes of exotic trees and a classic, warm trail of musk and vanilla. The composition opens with a rich, fruity bouquet: Mirabelle, peach, plum. The heart is oriental-floral, composed of orchid, magnolia, jasmine and tuberose. The perfume closes with equally intensive notes of amber, vanilla, moss and leather. It was created in 1989.

Orange Blossom Plum Raspberry Peach Basil Mirabelle Plum Bergamot

Honey Magnolia Carnation Tuberose Gardenia Orchid Jasmine Marigold Heliotrope Lily-of-the-Valley

Leather Sandalwood Plum Tonka Bean Amber Patchouli Musk Vanilla Oakmoss Cedar Styrax

Rumba
Rumba Passion
Randa

Rumba Fragrance Reviews

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Gorgeous fruity floral fragrance. I'd seen a review of it on YouTube and it was described as being mature, and they threw in terms like "mature" "white floral" but I don't give a damn about such things. When it comes to perfume, I wear what me and my nose likes. This I like. It opens very fruity in a Femme by Rochas kind of way. Juicy plum, sweet peach and delectable citruses. It's a fruit bowl. When the fruit scents go away, you're left with flowers, honey, sandalwood, moss and amber. But the evolution of this fragrance is totally worth it and very remarkable. The honeyed flowers did it for me. When the peach is gone, I smelled honey and a floral bouquet of jasmine, gardenia, heliotrope and carnations. I would say that it does smell like the flowers are all white; including the heliotrope and carnation, but it does not seem like a wedding bouquet at all. The orchid's presence and the gardenia with vanilla smells tropical, as if it was a Tiare or plumeria scent, even though this is not on here. It has a festive and theatrical air, like something a Brazilian showgirl dancer would wear in Rio De Janeiro during Carnivale. This is a very showy perfume. If the notes were not notes they would be sequins on a dress. It's very feminine but the aromatic patchouli-woods-oak moss base give it a heft and throws out a slightly masculine aura; so it's more on the unisex side, really. It has amazing sillage and longevity. This is beautiful and glamorous. It smells very expensive because it has such great composition but the price is affordable. Bottom line: if you like vintages, if you like fruity florals, honey, white flowers and oak moss, this fragrance is a must have. I think it's such a great experience every time I wear it. Wearing this for the 4th of July.

PS other fragrances that come to mind while smelling this scent:

Yves Saint Laurent Champagne Yvresse

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Rumba Balenciaga

Top Notes: Orange Blossom Plum Raspberry Peach Basil Bergamot Mirabelle Plum

Middle Notes: Honey Magnolia Carnation Tuberose Gardenia Orchid Jasmine Marigold Heliotrope Lily of the Valley

Base Notes: Leather Sandalwood Plum Tonka Bean Amber Patchouli Musk Vanilla Oak Moss Cedar Wood Styrax

Rumba is a sublime musical fragrance that inspires you to dance while wearing her. It's a hot night in Havana Cuba and you're visiting a nightclub which happens to be right across the street from a Cathedral. That's the images that come into my head. And I know why. The woods in this scent are Church wood, the rows of seats in old churches with a lot of wood. In addition there is something that wears like incense. The sandalwood is what gives this scent it's aroma. But it's a sandalwood that has so many other scents on top of it.

The fragrance opens with an explosion of fruit scents: peach, a raspberry and 3 notes of plum. It's interesting how they have 3 plum notes. It's synthetic as plums have no scent but the plummy juiciness of this scent mixes well with the raspberry and deep peach nectar. The fruit is very reminiscent of other fruited fragrances like Tresor Lancôme Donna Pavarotti Casmir Chopard and Yvresse Champagne Yves Saint Laurent. The fruitiness is rather strong too but wait.

Then the strong white flowers appear: gardenia, tuberose jasmine and magnolia. These flowers are joined by carnation, lily of the valley heliotrope and orchid. Flowers everywhere. The flowers are hanging in there even when a honeycombed honey scent arrives. Delicious honey. This is the first part of the fragrance's performance. It's a sweet but mature fruity floral. I have always enjoyed fruity florals but this is like fruity florals on steroids. Loving it.

The fragrance's second life and final phase is more nocturnal. It has that Church wood. It's Vespers and you've decided that because you were partying drinking and sinning on Saturday night you need to pray for forgiveness and for salvation on Sunday morning. The incense, the woods, the aromatic styrax, the cedar, sandalwood, musk, patchouli and leather are all there. Wait long enough and you can detect every one of these base notes. This is my favorite part of the fragrance. It turns unisex because of the men's cologne components of leather, patchouli and woods. A guy can totally rock Rumba. I have some guy friends that wear it and wear it well. The honey and fruits and flowers disappear and all that is left is that sandalwood and amber. It's so beautiful.

I first discovered Rumba on vacation in Ibiza when a girlfriend from India who wore it let me borrow it. I was blown away. "Are you sure you won't think it's too much of an old lady perfume?" she asked me. "I love it what difference does it make" I responded. I don't put labels on perfume. There is no age, gender, or demographic for perfume. I wear whatever I like and I like Rumba. I do find it more on the formal side however like something to wear to a gala, black tie dinner party, a wedding, an event where you have to dress up. It's pretty strong so if you're gonna go out with this beauty keep her as a tenuous cloud on you and not a volcano. 2 spritzes on my collar does the trick. It has so much life in it that even if you spritz once on the right pulse point you enjoy it all day or night long.

This is a real perfume with a long lasting life, with sillage, with a full body, volume, color, music, and passion. This is a perfume you want to smell/wear/experience if you're studying how to make perfume. It's a Perfume 101 type of fragrance. It has everything! I love my Rumba and would never ever part with it.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Vintage Rumba EDT to sum her up...TECHNICOLOR.

"Technicolor is became known and celebrated for its highly saturated color"

This is technicolor in a bottle.

Its fruity, its floral, its leather, its dry, its incense, it takes you everywhere with the volume turned up. I loved it.

This is too much, expertly blended, big powerhouse perfume. Sometimes it nods to poison then changes her mind, morphs into something else. It is just bright, loud, flashy and wonderful. Just like Technicolor old movies...

mousy, weak, subtle perfume lovers need not apply....

Edit: I also came upon the parfum in a black bottle. So chic, the plums and the florals.. richer than edt. Gorgeous.

Labaloo
Labaloo

Oriental woody? No. Chypre through and through.

Beautiful. Intricate. Zesty with fruits... woods... herbs... and sharp, interesting florals amped up with aldehydes- all leading to a fabulous drydown that ends on oakmoss, amber, and patchouli, with subtle threads of animalic notes woven in. And it lasts... like, it's definitely detectable 24 hours later.

Truly, I feel it's a shame that dense, complex perfumes like this aren't made anymore- what an absolute treasure!

Madrona
Madrona

It's strange because this one smells exactly like the apartment of my schizophrenic aunt (!). Cigarette smoke and some marigold-like Yves Rocher scents. For this reason I don't see myself wearing it, but it is interesting how a single scent can remind me so much of a place.

MadMadamMimm
MadMadamMimm

In this I smell like a business lady from the 80s. I had to have it because when an association is that strong with a perfume, it is like a time capsule. I feel like yelling, "Get Tokyo on the phone! I don't care when the markets close! Just get it done!" Very powerful.

kl99
kl99

Same story: this vintage one by Balenciaga is better.

Into the Lapidus ones I suspect there is a low quality of rose (and of all maybe), anyway the first Rumba was a rich complex rose surrounded by dark fruits, but luminescent an explosions of golden flowers bees spice girls etc etc..
Well? What to say? Have you seen the notes? There is the entire world of essences inside. Rumors says J.C. Hellena has work on it. And yes it was a dance of fat flowers luminous honey rich cream and red and blue berries. Opulent & Gentle. Masterpiece.
The new version is similar but more flat and too zesty, especially the first 15 minutes, then it calms down and become a joy. It is even green and glossy citrusy someway.

An episode.
I remember I gave this to a friend of mine for Christmas (1989), she was a fan of sexy strong enveloping perfumes (Giorgio Beverly Hills, Boucheron, First). Balenciaga was not so famous anymore in the end of 80s as brand and even the fragrances were difficult to find, and was funny because after Christmas she call me and says “oh my god, everybody is asking me what a gorgeous perfume am I wearing and I do not know what answer to them!” I replied “Jesus only say Rumba by Balenciaga!” “Sure but if I say so they make strange faces and ask me what is it and where to find it! What Should I say?”.
Sometimes to wear well known perfumes can save your time. I discovered.
And she feel safer wearing famous brand probably... like those that loves to show GG D&G LV YSL FF on their clothes and bags. Don't ask me anything. Read.

Rumba by Balenciaga is almost a sweeter, more tame version of Dior's Poison. Both of these classic fragrances are what I'd call 'power scents'. A scent with a loads of class, femininity and maturity. You'd be hard pressed to find a fragrance like Rumba on department store shelves, especially when we live in a day and age where women now smell of cotton candy and fruit salad.

I love wearing Rumba because to me it's complex and inviting on the skin. It opens with powdery tuberose, jasmine and marigold with the subtlest hint of citrus. The more this fragrance develops on the skin, the richer, smokier and sweeter it becomes. I smell powdery leather, syrupy honey, juicy plum, dusty incense and soapy white florals. I find that Rumba changes on me from day to day, so no one wearing is the same.

In all honesty, yes, Rumba does smell a little dated. But the fact that it smells of by-gone days is all part of its charm. Not surprisingly Jean-Claude Ellena is one of the noses behind this elegant scent, and Ron Winnegrad is the other talented nose.

It's unfortunate that Balenciaga felt the need to discontinue this fragrance to make way for predictable scents like Florabotanica and Balenciaga Paris. I strongly believe that if Rumba still graced our shelves, it would still be selling.

Thankfully I have a sizable decant of Rumba to last me quite some time. I enjoy wearing it most during a Summer evening, however I could also picture it being worn during the colder months with a few more generous sprays.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

This may be a first. I received a single ounce of Rumba and before that day ended had Repurchased another 3.3 oz. Rumba shattered another record. It's only the second perfume since Arpege by Lanvin to score marks as high as only a civet can in my book - without having any civet. How did Rumba not become a household name? Maybe it was the name? Too ethnic? Maybe Poison already cornered the Plum market? Whatever the reason, Rumba delights me. I am a lucky bunny who can (really must) wear a powerhouse well. I am much like Rumba. We can be loud but are not obscene. You can take us anywhere but are not for the inexperienced. This is a high quality fume and I bought the Balenciaga version btw .. for some reason I always fail to buy anything Ted Lapidus .. I come close but never seal the deal. Thought didn't care for honey as a note but now am noticing it is prominent in more than one of my favorites. hm. Rumba is what you expect from the name, it is expansive and theatrical but hardly cheap (although quite affordable). I am #teamrumba for sure. Again, like many perfumes I love, this is best worn by someone who knows themselves. Be you male or female, if you can't confidently carry a confident scent this will make you seem like a toddler stumbling around in mommy's high heels. If you are suited to Rumba be prepared to dance the day and night away!

stacia79
stacia79

One night on a dinner date with my man I wore Rumba, an elixir of plummy-tuberose-honey-leather-the-whole-nine-yards, in an attempt to be seductive. The waitress purred over me. "What is that amazing smell?" she asked, closing her eyes with an expression of contentment, quite possibly lost in her own scent memory reverie. My fiancé seemed indifferent, even slightly annoyed by my suddenly scented body. "My mother always wears strong perfumes. It's hard to breathe around her and now you do it too." he explained. I tried to go lighter but if no one could smell it, then putting it on at all seemed wasteful. Rumba is not meant to be a secret. It's meant to say HEY YOU. DANCE WITH ME.

Miss Precious Orchid
Miss Precious Orchid

Very powerful potent fragrance with a lot going on. Not good at descibing notes or scent development all i know is that it goes on strong and stays strong. You know how barbequing fruit like say pineapples releases the sugars and makes it more sweet, in this case the plum , honey and i'm sure leather give that sweet heady effect. This is delicious and a woman or man who wears this will not go unnoticed. I dont know why this is classified as oriental woody.This imho is more
fruity oriental. I do detect a sharp note, which I'm sure must be the carnation& marigold but it keeps it interesting to stop it from being too syrupy. Beautiful,unique and quality are just some words to sum up
this fragrance ,i'm so glad to have it in my wardrobe. A true work of art!!!

glad57
glad57

It's a lovely fragrance but on my skin the leather really shows up and i like it when the floral shows up more,I lean more towards floral. I bought based on the wonderful reviews and I get the woody oriental vibe and I do like the fragrance, it just went the other way on me, I love big florals but this dry down got too leathery and smokey :D, I will try diva instead, I will trade it if someone wants it,or you can have it, I will ship to you. New box and its the original with balenciaga on the box not ted lapidus. Email me @ [email protected], I will gladly release it to someone who will appreciate it in their collection.

LisaLovesPerfume
LisaLovesPerfume

This is a definitely the 80's. This is what many fragrances were like during that era. Super sillage and projection. I can't help but like it. Great memories of a much better time.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

Oh. Ohhhh.. No. Rumba. *tongue rolling the R* RrrrrrrUMBA!
BOOM! Duck and run!

As much as I adore the big bombs, I cannot do this one. I ordered a Balenciaga perfume mini and one tiny drop to the wrist is frying my nose. Entirely way too much of something even for me, known for loving the monstrous stink bombs and this is a chypre if I ever smelled one, though listed here as a woody oriental. It is that too, and every other thing except gourmand and fruity floral.

I recently left a glowing review for the monstrous Hermes 24 Fauborg. Oddly, I loved 24 until the dry down when something cedar/mothball/decay began to unfold and it began to nauseate me. Rumba is reminding me so much of a darker version of 24. I am on the dry down but do NOT detect the indolic, fetid dry down of 24 (thank goodness, what a stench!) but to me, they are nearly identical with Rumba being HF 24's meaner, older sister. Rumba is more aggressive with better hygiene than her brighter, sweeter sister, but has no right because she smells bad also. I really do not mean to offend lovers of this but there is just so much... too much of so much in here I don't even know how to begin describing the catastrophe this is on my skin.

Must scrub... and as usual, this will be the kind I scrub 10 times with Dawn soap and it is now in my pores and bloodstream. Will have to boil it out with peroxide same as Hermes 24. Ick!

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

I found a bottle by Balenciaga on ebay and I love it. There is plum, plum, honey and plum riding on a leathery base. There are also florals in the background, in fact, there is actually a lot happening back there, but plum definitely dominates. When I wear this it makes me think about drinking sangria and going to evening summer parties on the building rooftop. Rumba is not a wall-flower but the one who wears this is womanly, sexy, and ready to hit the dance floor.

gtabasso
gtabasso

I definitely have a nose. And, I disagree with most of the posts here. I do love Rumba. It is deep and seductive. It is heavy and sexy. But, it opens as a chypre and stays a chypre. It does have a spicy, woody mix that some might call floriental but this is not a floral and not fruity. It is not incense either. Not tobacco. Leather is a note but very well blended. This is a big perfume for those who like Balenciaga, carnation scents, chypres and spice. Love it.

DMS162002
DMS162002

I don't have a sophisticated nose or know very much about perfumes, but the glowing reviews of this perfume motivated me to blind buy it. I thought I was ordering the Balenciaga version but instead received the Ted Lapidus version. I don't know what to make of it. It is strong, a bit overwhelming initially. At first, it reminded me of sitting close to older ladies in church and being surrounded by their perfume, but slowly it settles into something more pleasant. I am intrigued that anyone senses anything floral or sweet in this perfume. On my skin this perfume is thoroughly muscular and masculine (I like that). Weird and surprising. Wish I could get my hands on the original.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Balenciaga Rumba to me associates with paintings of Peter Paul Rubens – all is big, epochal, lush, magnificent, loud. Its trumpets and drums, loooads of marigold and tuberose, honeyed and leathered. You should be special to wear this beast otherwise it will wear you down in no time

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Rumba. Wowza. Yes, what everyone has said before is true. Believe them. I was greatly reminded of great honey infused scents such as Teatro Alla Scalla, and Plum lovlies such as Rochas Femme. But....

What is absolutely knocking my socks off is that on me, this dries down to one of the most gorgeous leathers I've ever experienced.

So.... a fun, wicked scent... for the beginning of the night when you are dancing with a handsome stranger, then... what follows is up to you. If this fragrance stays the night with you, you will be having a sultry and sensuous night, for sure.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Real silage and longevity monster, strong sweet 80s style. Wonder how to calm this monster down, may be layering with something. Any suggestions?

[email protected]
b@by

The force is strong with this one.

This is the most outspoken cousin of the three incense sisters, ie, Rumba(BALENCIAGA, NOT TL), Tabu, and Ciara. This opens with a spicy (actually feel the spice in the back of my nose), fruity insence blast. I just discovered this at my front door at 7:40am, and my morning nose did get rather a surprise. Yes, it's hot, but I could imagine wearing this in summer as well. With a flowing maxi dress, hair out, and way too much eyeliner on. Sexy, mysterious, and loud.

roseau
roseau

Since this week I'm wearing RUMBA by Balenciaga daily in order to focus me entirely in on this extraordinary fragrance.

Balenciaga's Rumba is a potent scent grenade , as it could not be stronger and more luscious for me. Someone describes it as "harmless" and suitable for warmer days, but I don't think so. On the contrary, I'm deeply pleased that many fragranticans do not perceive it as a " typical 80 firecracker ", which surprised me ... For me, Rumba is a madness mirage, as it could not be more intense and hotter . Perfect for the cold season. A composition like Rumba's one is no longer common today and it may shock younger noses.

Rumba is an extrovert, fruity - chypre animal, floral, velvety and heavy stuff. Ultra feminine , seductive and hot. * Hot * would not be the right word for it: it's probably a mere understatement. In fact, it is fierce, sunny and dark, mystical and profound as Spain in XVI century would be: it is probably the scent that St. Teresa of Avila would have smelt during her visions.

Rumba unfolds on my skin to a fiery scent cocktail. Two delicate whiffs and even my room smells enticing.

This passionate fragrance is comparable to the strength and Sillage of Youth Dew, Opium or to older Oriental Serge Lutens fragrances. One can almost taste the Rumba on the tongue. The composition is balanced around waxe-y, sacred notes of honey and incense and they do not appeal to everyone for sure. It takes quite a bit of self confidence to wear Rumba.

The fruity top note, especially the plum, floats throughout the fragrance flow which is probably obtained without banal synthetic-fruity manipulation. It smells more like a delicious compote or a spiced plum jam. The flowers in the heart notes form such a perfect unity that I can not smell one by one. Even the dominant tuberose for me is not recognizable and restrains, almost hides itself .

The base note is similar to the overall impression, that doesn't change much during its impressive projection: more than 12 hrs. I would almost call it a linear fragrance, because everything is so harmoniously composed around honey and incense.

You shouldn't overdose it, otherwise you'll probably induce a headache to the ones who dislike fierce fragrances. Everyone should be careful with this fragrance grenade.

Ted Lapidus has taken Rumba in the 90's. Whether the smell has now also been reformulated, I can not notice any relevant difference between the old formulation and the recent one. My comment refers to Balenciaga's original .

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

I had a bottle in the early Nineties and I purchased one a few years ago... I cannot really detect any difference between the fragrance I remembered and the one I can smell now. I checked and it is still the "Balenciaga" one, not the "Ted Lapidus" one, that seems to have been reformulated.
Rumba is a very bold and sensual fragrance, starting with fruit, tuberose and jasmine and then slowly turning into strong incense and musk.
It is not an every-day fragrance nor an office fragrance, and one needs to be careful because spraying too much of it could really make you and the other people feel overwhelmed!
Very nice Eighties fragrance anyway, tremendous staying power and sillage.

Update: last week I sprayed it on while I was wearing a sweater, then I put it back into the wardrobe... I just noticed that, after 5 days, some of the fragrance (a delicious creamy incense) is still there around the neck and on the sleeves. Its longevity is incredible!

kelleybelle

**Update** I finally found a vintage sample on eBay. Not of the pure parfum but of the edt in a size no longer made, 10ml. LOVE!! Now I remember the smokey nightclub smell. I carried the little bottle around with me yesterday :) So it's been indeed reformulated and they took the tobacco accord for the most part and replaced it with a plum rush. The pure parfum is not the same as it was but still a gorgeous scent like no other. The original parfum was love at first sniff. Images of a smokey nightclub came rushing out of the bottle. Not just any nightclub, a club that you had to go down a long stairwell to get into, deep under the ground. The people inside were laughing and happy, and wearing bright satin clothes. Not just any smokey smell. It was rich, aromatic pipe tobacco. The vintage edt remains on my arm after 24 hours! I will use the words of Luca Turin, my favourite perfume critic, to describe the reformluation of the edt. "It's like expecting a five-course meal and getting an airplane tray", a watery, non-descript nothing. And now my own words. Compared to the original, the new edt version is like looking at black and white stick-figure drawings and comparing them to the art on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Would also make a fabulous masculine. Get your hands on the original, people. Don't settle. Anything that makes you want to carry the bottle around and sniff yourself all day? If thick black velvet had a smell, this would be it. A masterpiece. *hearts*

asia.kfiatek
asia.kfiatek

I'm going to have a little tantrum here. NO! No no no no no no no! I keep reading the reviews of people saying about the complexity of the smell, various notes coming through and blending seamlessly and I am a little bewildered. I've been wearing it whole day, hoping that eventually something interesting will come through, and.. I'm still waiting! All that's coming through on my skin is very sickly patchouli and a bit of sandalwood. I am at present a human equivalent of a cheap incense stick from a new age shop. I'm glad that was a free sample, I'd be pretty annoyed if I spent any money on it. And now I'm going to have a shower to finally get it off of me.

If you like the idea of Habanita but find it too powdery, Rumba might just be the thing.
Rumba is very strong on leather with a dark plum note. I detect a hefty amount of marigold in the opening too and a bit of peach alongside the oakmoss.
Rumba is smoky, but not an incense smoke and not quite tobacco either. Perhaps "tarry" is a better description? The drydown is sweeter and I start to smell the tuberose, gardenia and heliotrope but definitely in the background.
The top and middle of Rumba are a bit "busy", but I think that's somewhat expected given the name. When Rumba finally gets it's life together and decides what kind of perfume it wants to be it is a dry leather, somewhat animalic & boozy with a hint of vanilla and creamy white florals.

SmellieKat
SmellieKat

I love Rumba in theory, and I love Jean Claude Ellena...but I simply can't wear it because of the overwhelming spiciness of the perfume. My perfumes - all of them - are like my babies. Even though one pisses me off, it doesn't mean I would let it go. Rumba pisses me off, but I will always have it in my collection because there's nothing else exactly like it. Rumba stands alone.

kera_5j
kera_5j

Perhaps in order to appreciate this scent you have to have a different scent background/exposure. I've grown up loving well layered, organically composed scents that lack the synthetic punch this perfume is packing.
This stuff, to put it diplomatically, is an acquired taste. If your taste runs toward synthetic, acridly composed drugstore perfume, then this is a jackpot.

In purchasing some perfumes online I added this to my order, since it was very cheap. Just opened and sniffed it, and I am not a fan. I'm pretty open to all scents, with a weakness for woody-floral scents, but this is not something I'd use even as a room spray. It is also beyond CLOYING. Reminds me of the scent I'd expect to come across in a cheap nail salon...

wigwigforever
wigwigforever

Just received the parfum strength,bought off E-bay for under £20.00!. This is gorgeous,very eighties, and probably most suited to be worn in the evening.Very rich,opulent scent,peaches and plums underscored with smoky leather and amber.
This was a blind buy and I am so glad I took the risk. I can,t comment on the edt as I have not smelled it

kelleybelle

@ Iris it ... no, not watered down, but recent versions (and I always buy the pure parfum) seem to be missing the leather and tobacco notes. It's just different. I still love it but the "smoky nightclub" aspect of it is gone :( It love the pineapple plum notes but this isn't the Rumba I used to buy and wear years ago. So many fine fragrances have been plain ruined by reformulation. Namely Shalimar and Vent Vert, Chloe. Why can't they leave a good thing the hell alone?!

@Kelleysmall
I never smelled the parfum concentration but I own an Edt old bottle whose box has no bar code so it was presumably produced before 1988 . It smells very strong and it has leather and oakmoss notes . I love it ! Is it possible that you smelled the recent Ted Lapidus version of original Balenciaga Rumba if you find it watered down ? So many notes were unfortunately banned in the last few years in perfumery : this is not breaking news ...

Rumba is a powerful daring fragrance for women who also enjoy perfumes for men . I wear it often if it is not hot . I do not find it as elegant as the other Balenciaga old creations such as Le Dix , Fleeting Moment , Cialenga and Cristobal : Rumba is more for exuberant women than elegant and 'perfect' classy ones :-)

Wow. Fruit, leather, and smoke - what a combination! This is powerful stuff. This opens with a punch to the nostrils, very bold and loud, with the type of underlying sweetness that comes from slightly overripe fruit. As this settles and reaches the base, I like it more and more. It develops into a rich, smokey leather, with a hint of boozy sweetness. I normally choose fairly safe scents for day to day, but being a vintage lover, I am always drawn in by scents like this. This is not safe. Do not wear this to the office. You may end up with a no scent workplace policy as a result. I am not daring enough to wear this often but when I do, I feel like a 'bad girl' - all smoke, leather, and plum brandy. I like this a lot. My bottle says Balenciaga on the bottom. I have not smelled the Ted Lapidus version.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

August 29th, 2013

It is one of the most beautiful and loveable vagabond-whore fragrances ever!

Surreal.
Bitchy.
Sensual.

Wear it to kill!

Edit - December 12th, 2013

I think everyone who loves Rumba hates it a little bit deep inside, like me, but keeps loving it.

kelleybelle

Absolutely one of my favourite perfumes, and I mean the pure perfume, which seems to be impossible to find if you can't get it from Enchante; that's the only place I can find the real perfume. The edt is just not the same, but a very watered down version. When I bought this scent in the early 90's, it always smelled like a smoky nightclub. Lately, I cannot smell any leather accords at all but plenty of honey and plum, and pineaapple for sure, but no leather or that rich "smoky" smell. I hope they haven't reformulated; I don't think so. Still, there is nothing at all like it on the market - nothing.

scentsforme
scentsforme

I just got this at the store smells really good it very complex, I like it a lot….
will give update late my have to wear a week…to see if it's me….:)

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

This perfume was EVERYWHERE in the early 90's ..It literally defines the end of the 80's era strong , heavy perfumes as it has any note you can imagine !! It's like a perfume Molotov Cocktail lethal & dangerous but it 's not nasty , in fact it's pretty good .. I got used to smelling it around as I was a teenager back then so needless to say I never thought of owning it as I have seldom been into trends ..but I got it as a present , so I gave it to my sister ..No wonder the trend that followed it was exactly the opposite ..Clean , fresh , Ozonic ..etc scents , No body wanted more mass -destruction types of perfumes anymore back then ...

bananas
bananas

WOWSER!!!!!
An IN YOUR FACE PUNCH of notes.... strong, aldehydic, floral, smokey, honey, leathery & boozy unapologetic 80's vibe.

It takes NO PRISONERS......& I do love it this way.

They don't make 'em like THAT anymore!!!!!

So happy to own & wear this unique masterpiece of a gutsy fragrance.

Aardwolf

Extremely potent! I use it rarely and only very sparingly, it is so strong! On my skin it whafts of incense and vanilla flavoured cigars. Don't get any fruits or sweets, leather makes sense yeah. It has a great staying power, overall of old-fashioned quality. Great fragrance for proud, bold ladies.

relle
relle

Holy shoulder pads! This isn't a rumba, this is the disco scene at Studio 54. Wow, this is a biggie. It's a mélange of floral, like the huge centerpiece at the Ritz Carlton. Spray/apply at your own risk. For me, short of a tad of marigold mixed in, I couldn't discern what all the notes were. Now, 2.5 hours later, the dry down is lovely, much softer, elegant; all honey, plum and leather lending an overall rich bitch aura of the past. Hats off to any woman,(or man) strong enough to wear it.

Iris_it

Wow , what a perfume ! Very sparkling fruity opening which makes you think Rumba is a well chosen name : you feel like dancing beautiful gypsy dances ! Then a suprising spicy carnation appears to freshen fruits and ... what a second and big suprise for me : leather here is gorgeous as it is so well surrounded by santal ; oakmoss is not overwhelming and it is beautiful . A must have for all vintage strong perfumes lovers in my opinion as I find it quite unique .You would think of it as an oriental but in the end you feel the chypre soul : the rumba is danced by a couple unlike the gypsy Buleria :-) . A great BIG perfume and a perfect signature fragrance for these days ... if you apply lightly :-)

In my opinion Rumba Passion by Ted Lapidus has nothing to see with Balenciaga Rumba .
The former is a rather linear modern scent not to be compared in richness and depth to Balenciaga's and to classics in general and they do not smell the same at all as Rumba Passion is dominated by rose and patchouli . Anyway Rumba Passion is nice and longlasting too , both aspects are not that frequent in newborn fragrances unfortunately . I would never buy Rumba Passion but I could wear it sometimes as I ( strangely ) find its rose and patchouli pleasant for a casual scent .
But Balenciaga's Rumba is another music and dance !

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

Honey and leather!!

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

these reviews are VERY misleading this smells NOTHING LIKE TABU, Tabu is a sensual resinous, gorgeous rootbeer vanillic perfume, this smells like youth dew,Opium, and Chanel No5 with the volume turned up to 11, not something I would wear but I'm glad it's part of my collection

yvankraft
yvankraft

Fantastic crossroad vintage Capucci de Capucci x Dior's Poison. But once you chose Rumba you must wear it exclusively, till the bottle finishes because this scent stays on your skin forever and doesn't tolerate to be substituted the next day. Tip: wear it by night and nothing by day: there will still be some Rumba left from yesterday's night. Always...
P.S.: I mean the Balenciaga version, of course.

Thomasania
Thomasania

I received the Ted Lapidus version today and it was a cheap blind buy. At first .. It's all LOVE!! It is an 80's scent, very heavy and very reminiscent of Tabu. It has great sillage, I am just hoping the staying power is there, because if it is I will be buying another bottle.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Mmmm, very unusual. Lovely plum, honey and dusty marigold, and lots of some exotic fruits and flowers all well blended together. Rich and memorable scent. Quite strong, but thankfully, not syrupy sweet at all though classified as 'sweet" and 'fruity floral'. Loud and retro, but pleasant and rather uncommon. I love to wear it in colder weather - cold crispy air helps making those wonderful dusty notes in Rumba be more pronounced and clear.

sanzioonofre
sanzioonofre

A pungent, leathery, fruity, tart and very sweet tuberose.

id
id

Rich, dense, intense plum and honey scent with an accord of leather and oakmoss. I think I like it despite a sweet note of honey at the opening but I don't wear this often. It has a very beautiful drydown and longevity is just amazing, 12 hours plus. Be cautious not to overspray, sillage is huge as well.

never was a fan of this one from the 80's. too strong and cloying. i didnt find it bold and innovative i just found it annoying and obnoxious. something in this always smells like coconut to me. i've never been a fan of this... too harsh.

napoleonica
napoleonica

I´m so happy I made this purchase! This perfume is very appealing and long lasting.Very oriental and inexpensive.I get the leather notes of Cabochard blended with flowers and a little touch of fruits that softens the sharpness of leather.Beautiful.

Wow! This blows the doors off almost all niche (I have only tried vintage). It is animalic and features a strong fruit accord that I have yet to encounter (thankfully, no prunol overload here, based upon my experiences with Coco and others like that one). The florals are not weak but play more of a background role. Over time a monstrous incense/sandalwood note appears, richer and better in every way than any I can remember. The animalic quality never totally leaves the stage, but a soapy kind of element emerges (sort of like candle wax, like what you find in Comme des Garcons Parfum) and is one of the major drydown players, which also include the fruit and the incense/sandalwood. This is for aficionados only, and is quite dry. Grab one on ebay for less than $30 while you still can, but be sure to ask the seller if it's by Balenciaga (it should be printed on the bottle), if there is no picture of the actual bottle (I think some companies are showing Balenciaga but when you read the fine print it says packaging may vary), because I can't imagine the Lapidus version coming close to this.

Casual scent wearers run away from this one as fast as you can! I suggest spraying into the air and walking through the mist on your first wearing. That might even be too much! In some ways this is more like an evocation of an exotic or mysterious place than a personal fragrance, and I'm not one to think of a scent as anything more than a combination of notes. If you like L'Air du Desert Marocain, you might like this one even more, as it's more complex and professional. For me this is not "unisex" because it transcends everything and should be marketed as the smell of Adventureland by Disney, or something along those lines.

anjusha.karkera
anjusha.karkera

i don't like it that much...it's too strong!!

DNA Salli
DNA Salli

Rumba by Balenciaga: I wore the original version in my teens and it surely was a statement perfume, very 80's but very different too: frutity -powdery, oriental, mysterious, difficult to pinpoint what it smelled of, evasive, lasted forever on my skin and left a faint vanilla- flowery fragrance. Nothing ever since has been even remotely reminiscent of Rumba! So unique it is!not for the faint-hearted!

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I love this! The leather note is what I was looking for and it is there but there is also a softness that is so comforting. For some reason my skin and nose find basil favorable.

Aardwolf

Cigars, leather, alto voices, mysterious ladies...

amoregal
amoregal

I got a large bottle of the Balenciaga version as a gift many years ago. One whiff, and I said "ugh." Way too strong for me. So it just stayed in my collection, not being used. Then last year, a clerk told me if you have any strong perfume, try spraying it on the back of your neck. I tried it whith Rumba and a few hours later, I liked it. Nice surprise. Glad I held on to it.

MatheusPresotto
MatheusPresotto

I love this! is a gret parfum and very strong, smells like a Poison (dior) with much honey and others woody notes. Very good. Now, rumba is by Ted Lapidus

0BS : very strong fixation and sillage.

Ted Lapidus Rumba EdT. A punch on my nose with heavy flowernotes, more flowers and som leather and woodsy notes too.. A bold, heavy and loud scent. Very female'ish and with a great wiff of the 80/90's. Less is almost to much to spray on, its better to spray in the air and walk into the scent-cloud.

I think Rumba is like Amarige, Poison, Knowing, Eden, Gloria - in spirit - very heavy, flowery and long-longlasting on my skin. Will this be a favourite of mine? - nope.. The wiff of old-school is a little bit to loud, but for a lady 50+-something this will be fantaboulus. Basenote is a bit like Poison on my skin, I guess the plum shines thru..After 5 hours it softens down to a very pleasant scent that I actually like alot. Next morning I can still smell Rumba if I turn my nose close to the skin.

Ted Lapidus Rumba EdT. Som ett slag i ansiktet av tunga blomnoter, mer blommor och lite läder och lite trätoner. En vågad, tung och högljudd doft. Väldigt kvinnlig med en rejäl dos 80/90-tal över sig. Lite är nästan för mycket, spreja i luften och gå in i molnet.

Jag tycker att Rumba liknar Amarige, Poison, Knowing, Eden och Gloria - själsligt - de är alla tunga, blommiga parfymer som sitter hur länge som helst på huden. Kommer den att bli favorit? - nej, den är aningens för gammaldags och för högljudd för mig men ett kap för kvinnan som är 50+-nånting. Basnoten påminner om Poison på min hud, antagligen plommon-noten som lyser igenom. Efter 5 timmar så mjuknar Rumba ner till en riktigt trevlig doft, som jag gillar. Nästa morgon kan jag fortfarande känna doften om jag luktar nära huden /handens ovansida.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

I have the Ted Lapidus version which I picked up on an auction site new in it's box and for a steal. For the last many years I have been trying to find a replacement for my Beloved Valentino Vendetta. It's hard being a mid-twenties something with a taste for all fragrances been and gone. To me this smells very similar to vendetta in terms of powdery jammy plum and powdery almost skin musk style honey. The closest I have come infact, But this also has a great whack of Nag Champa incense and a strangely almost potpourri note - especially when first sprayed I get a note reminiscent of Potpouri room freshner but this quickly dies down within about 30 seconds and the leathery honey notes kick in. I think the correlation between this and potpourri is the woody and almost dried rose notes which resemble woodshavings and rose petals that potpourri generally consists of. The dry down is divine. I don't find this outrageously strong but I seem to have a skintype that eats fragrances and strong florals and orientals meld into it well.. On drydown this also smells slightly like a fragrance Revlon released a few years ago called "Love that Red" which was an obvious knock off of red door but had some really nice notes . I will continue the hunt for vendetta but I can see myself wearing using this one up fairly quickly. May need to find something bigger than the 30ml.

nikkibom
nikkibom

This is my first review on a perfume on this site. I forst encoutered Rumba back when it first came out in 1989. I remember turning it down after the lady in the chemist tried several times to persuade me to buy it. I have just received 2 100ml bottles after ordering it while on a 'special offer', i thought i would give them as presents if i did not like. Well, I can tell you, I am going to KEEP THEM BOTH. This is a classic fragrance, reminds me of Montana, this a a beauty, special - and outstanding. Not like the modern fragrances of today - that don't have character and are undistinguishable is that right??.

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

i love Rumba. its a happy scent with lots of honey and it always lifts my mood. its distinct and warm. i dont think its too loud.

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

Um autêntico elixir de Couro com Ameixas secas, secadas pelo sol e ainda debaixo da ameixeira. É perceptível mel antigo e muitas flores que se confundem num enlace maravilhoso com a Baunilha e o Patchuli que tornam dele usável. Muito intenso, muito forte, pesado e imponente. Parece que estou cansado de dançar Tango, ao som de cordas, lá pelos interiores da Argentina com uma onça pintada morta grudada na parede. Já posso ver o sol raiar e aquele cheiro do ambiente me inebria e embebeda. Na minha concepção isso é Rumba!

tiger_greeneyes

I tried really hard to like this one - I gave it many chances. The woods (for me) were so overpowering that I felt pretty nauseous after just a few moments. Once a couple of hours had gone by, the woods had dried down to a 'coo-eee' instead of an ear shattering roar and the beautiful sweetness shone through. Unfortunately the woods never hit a level I could have lived with any longer. If you're sensitive to woods, consider this for as long as you can before buying it. This is what ebay was made for.

Maylone
Maylone

Ok....I am not really at the point where I'm able to distinguish the different components of a perfume and describe them, so... I tend to review on how they make me feel. Rumba makes me uncomfortable.....like I'm taken to some wierd wig shop or laundr-o-mat from the 70's that's been left untouched until now. (Even though this scent was created in the late 80's...it's just what I picture). If i breathe this perfume in deep it reminds me of the smell of the warmth that comes off clothes just out of the dryer. I recently got my bottle in a trade with 1blondeangel and I am soooooooooo glad that I got it! It's creepy but I love it! It is strange and awesome! I really want to know what the creator of this scent thought when he/she decided that this was the final product! I will treasure weird Rumba forever!!!!

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Rich and very complex perfume. Powdery sweet and musky animalic ingredients make it sometimes a little heavy to wear.It's strong and very specific, but choosing the wright time to wear, I always find it wonderful.
I love it!

sablebombe
sablebombe

This is big 'ol fragrance from the 80's! Big, brassy, bold, in yer face! Even the bottle and packaging screams BIG 80's ... !!!!! First spraying amazing, big 80's, middle tones, big 80's but then comes the drydown and that is so gentle it's amazing too! Honeyed plum notes, the spices and vanilla just come together so beautifully!

This is BIG and it shouts loud to start with. But so do a lot of the newer perfumes on the market - I can name Elie Saab for one - it is just that the newer compositions have, what we have come to regard as a more modern scent! But what is perfume - it is an art of composing a symphony to be worn rather than listened to; or it is a loving caress of our olfactory senses (no, not an assault on them as some of the more modern fragrance makers seem to think) it is like a beautiful piece of chocolate - to be savoured rather than gorged on! Rumba is all of these and more and I think the name could now be changed to Zumba rather than the more gentle Rumba; as it is far more complex, exotic and energetic.....!!!!

You will definitely not be overlooked when you wear this and I can see it being worn perfectly with some of Balenciaga's more exotic haute couture gowns!

NB: This review is for the Balenciaga version and not the Lapidus one!

peewee
peewee

Rumba? I LOVE it!!!

tfaye706
tfaye706

OMG!!!! this smells awfullllll....I love balenciaga perfumes especially Cristobal but this is really old smelling like my great great grandma's perfume definitely not my type of smell all the ingredients fruits/vanilla/musk/ doesnt come out in this. I even waited for the drydown to take effect nope! nada!!! had to wash this off my wrist and still could smell it on there glad I only purchased a small 1 oz bottle. I would glady give this away :-(

geekweevil
geekweevil

This has been one of my favorites for years, but i can't wear it unless I'm going to be outside or moving around for a bit, cause it's overpowering until it settles!
Rich and strong and delicious.
There is a lady who gets on my train who wears it too, if i stand near her i get wafts of it. It cheers me up when that happens, smelling it on other people is so very nice.

Migalex
Migalex

Rumba is sexy and religous at the same time. Smells like burning candles. A bit too sweet, but worth the effort.It is too much really, but it is an experience. Really fantastic, although I know that not everyone likes this perfume and that does not really surprise me. I think only a person who is really into fragrance will appreciate this one. It does have and unconscious uplifting and emotional effect on me, and for that reason alone I do love it. If I want to wear something I find really special to set me in the mood for the night, like a drug to which I am addicted, intoxicating, I will wear Rumba and believe it or not, it does bring about good things, maybe because of the special aura in which it envelopes me. It is intense, and the scent is really really special, not like any other oriental fragrance. Also, I find it extremely comforting, maybe for the resemblance to church smell, burning candles, although I am not religious and rarely have set foot in a church. But that might be the reason why the resemblance to church smell might comfort me. From a nonreligious person's viewpoint, it might be seen as a quiet, intimate, tranquility inspring place. As for the resemblance to parfum de peau, the dry down is really very similar, but the opening and heart, although sharing similarities, are different, Rumba is much sweeter, PdP is smokier and drier, and although I do like Rumba, Parfum de peau is, in my opinion, even the current reformulation, the best perfume on Earth (this review is for the Ted Lapidus version). And, by no means nearly as important, I love the name and the bottle.

boruvka44
boruvka44

I also don't understand why people say "This would only suit for going to the theatre or opera or a grand evening."
About any perfume. They wear something that stinks or make them feel uncomfortable for those occasions?
Now Rumba - if the name "Poison" was not already taken, it would have been perfect name for you: the top and partially the middle notes are more than unpleasant - sour, bitter, irony, smoky, sweet pell-mell. Rotting plums in sunlight dripping from zinc-coated sheetmetal.
The middle notes start to bring up warmer vanilla, but very shy vanilla.
I smell the strange sour-bitter fruits till the end, but it gets nicer. It is oriental/chypre/gourmand to me. Not for everyone of course, and it's not that heavy, I hit my forearm with 3 solid spritzes!
tested version: EDT from Balenciaga.

Bandit
Bandit

Oh Rumba! What should I do with you?

If I could get rid of your horrible top notes and of half of your overpowering middle notes, you would be the love of my life.

You simply have the best, I mean THE BEST drydown of all time! Resinous, dry, musky, bewitching. Nothing I have ever smelled can compete.

It's such a shame, that I have to go through such a long phase (the top and middle stays for hours!) of not appreciated smells (e.g., I don't like plum or tuberose, here I get them both together, thanks), until I finally reach nirvana.

Maybe I should leave my bottle in broad sunlight to cut of the head? Somewhere I've read, that even that doesn't work with that fruit and flower monster.

More than once I whished me back in the 80s, where overpowering top and middles notes seemed to be a normal part of life - maybe in that time I could have pulled yours off and I would have smelled your lovely base regularly?

olga1780

I bought a 1 oz bottle at the dawn of my perfume collecting stage and to this day I keep coming back to this beauty. Rumba is an amazing rich and complex fragrance, very sultry and sexy. Not to mention the great sillage, longevity, and a very affordable price. Very similar to Capucci in character.
I guess it's not any more in demand with the younger generation, so it's priced accordingly, which is a great plus for real perfumistas.
A timeless Classic.
I know my next bottle of Rumba will be the largest size possible.

Cams
Cams

I literally just purchased this fragrance! I read the reviews here and ran to this exotic fragrance outlet that sells all the classics. I was able to get the original Balenciaga Rumba instead of the Ted Lapidus version. This fragrance caught me off-guard when it was first sprayed on - deep, dark woodsy and classic -and I needed time to decide. It developed over the space of 15 mins on my pulse point and it was amazing - it morphed into a stunner! The lady in the store, that told me up-front that she hated it, smelled my arm and stared at me in shock! Please, please try it and let it develop into the beauty that it is before you decide. Flawless!

the churumbel
the churumbel

maravillosa fragancia...muy poderosa,de larga permanencia,densa y hermosa. Recibo muchos eligios cuado me la pongo y a mi esposo le encanta,la primera vez que la olio no quitaba su nariz de mi cuello iba y venia del sillon a mi cuello...lo hizo tres veces :) Tiene una sensualidad unica.

tiger_greeneyes

Wow! This arrived in the post (another blind ebay purchase) and I was really disappointed when I sprayed it onto my wrists. The woodiness was overwhelming, it was only that it was mentioned so far down the list that I hoped it would be more subtle. However, five minutes later a beautiful warm sweetness drifted to my nose and I idly wondered where the smell was coming from, maybe I'd just caught a whiff of something I'd worn days ago that I'd spilled a drop of on my sofa. As the minutes wore on, the sweetness got stronger and seemed to be alive. I automatically sniffed at my wrist - it's without doubt the Rumba settling in for the day. The woods have faded and are still there, but in a subtle way. When I sniff my wrists, I smell predominantly woods with a hint of overriding sweetness. When I smell the sillage, I smell the sweetness with the merest hint of woods. This really is a Jekyll and Hyde of perfumes.

This perfume is deep and has a huge character - I doubt I can get away with wearing it, especially in this warm weather - but I really don't care, she is someone I'd love to associate with if she came to life. There's nothing superficial about her and I wish I could have smelled the original Balenciaga version. (ETA, the version I have actually is the original Balenciaga version.) It's a very clever perfume and I've never smelled anything like this before. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better.

reignydaze
reignydaze

Balenciaga is a beautiful arrid fragrance that seems to cut through any moisture in air. Shut your eyes and breath in deeply, your in the Sahara. Immense sillage and longevity, a brave strong fragrance for a confident women. Now a warning 'Ted Lapidus' has RUINED IT. It is highly diluted pointless immitation. Very sad another Queen bites the dust....

takeasniff
takeasniff

I really can't stand how people say "This would only be suited for going to the theatre or opera or dinner or a grand evening." It depends who you are and what you look like how you carry yourself. I wear this whenever I feel like it. I wear it to work and to the shops and out for dinner or with friends. I put a dab on both sides of my neck. I have had several compliments I think because I don't put too much on and I always try to leave the house well put together. I never lool scruffy so maybe I can pull it off. It does have a strong smoke odour that comes and goes but I have never put people off with it. Just use a little bit and please ladies, if you feel like wearing it, then wear it stop only wearing perfumes for a certain occassion. You only live once!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is for the Balenciaga version.
I received this in a swap with the lovley Tzouzou and am not disappointed! It starts with a herbal/bitter blast of Marigold and Basil then the fruits immediately come to the fore with the animalic note of honey. I actually thought that this must have civet in it as it has that bodily, unwashed feeling! The drydown is similar to Bal a Versailles with all bitterness gone. My husband doesn't like it and it really is an 80's period piece, but I like it and will wear it in private and in the Autumn with pleasure!

smellsogood
smellsogood

This is one big ole perfume. Dark fruits, woods, spices and honey. There is also the queer feeling of dry heat that you experience in a sauna. Oh! and candle wax, not scented candles, but big white church beeswax candles. This is a winter solstice perfume, everything outside is cold and dark, but inside you are warm, glowing and looking forward to Christmas. This review is for the original Balenciaga version.

suile
suile

I had the first version of this, when it was originally produced and what a powerhouse of a fragrance. All the many notes seem to come out at different times, I don't know whether non fragrance fans would really appreciate this one at close quarters, but it is a study in itself.

adrienn99
adrienn99

yet another mouthwatering fragrance!

i have the Ted Lapidus version (edt).

what could I say that not has been said?

this one has quite a character, in a good way to me though. it is fruity, powdery, smokey so thick i feel i could bite it.

Makes me wonder what the Balenciaga version was like - modernity usually means nowadays that they "water up" the big bold perfumes.

This is one of those I am sure will use up a bottle.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Tempestuous, but light-hearted. As with any perfume by Balenciaga, it possesses a lot of depth and nuance.

olga1780

Surprisingly, I really enjoy the scent and keep sniffing my wrist wearing it. But I'm not so sure that people around me will either understand or share my feelings about it, as it is is pretty strong. I think I will just keep my love to myself for now.

Although I can see some similarities with Oscar and Boucheron....those other two are more refined and well-behaved, also intense but not in your face, like Rumba.

But I really wish they made more fragrances of such superb quality. Rumba wouldn't come off no matter how long you wear it until you take a shower. It is the longest lasting fragrance in my collection, for sure.

olga1780

Oh, man, this should be applied with caution indeed. good thing I got 1 oz, and not the biggest bottle available like i usually do.
I only tested Rumba on my hand, but it reminded of Boucheron EDP on my skin, which i wear with confidence. So i might get away with this one too.
But today i am wearing Le Chic by Molyneux.....my unbelievable, magnificent discovery!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Bal a Versailles meets Niki de Saint Phalle. Within minutes of trying this scent, that was the idea that came to mind. Warm, fruity-floral, a bit of a chypre to my nose, with the depth and strenght and lasting power of the glamorous scents of the 80s. It is strangely appealing; I find myself sniffing my wrist over and over again, getting lost in the notes and enjoying the overall experience.

blueberry
blueberry

SIMPLY GRAND! It seems to be my new found love, a bit more chypre than oriental woody for me, with splendid smoky leather accords. I don't get that much plum as the notes suggest, or it is a different rendition of plum, definitely more smoky and less sweet than in Rochas Femme and Dior Poison, but the overall composition is so well blended and sophisticated that I am almost crazy about Rumba! It lasts and lasts, producing an exceptional dry and luxurious aroma delicately projecting from the skin, hair and clothes. And the bottle is so lovely and ergonomic. Rumba is a very universal opulent perfume, I consider this to be a perfect office scent provided that you use it really sparingly then it won't be intrusive, yet still distinct and will let you feel focused on your day, boosting your confidence and wellbeing. It is kind of sensual, too, so a great evening perfume! My bottle is still Balenciaga's, so I hope Ted Lapidus has not spoiled it.
IMO, if you like Miss Balmain, Rochas Femme and Jolie Madame, you might like it too. I also think that men could give it a try, as it is not extremely feminine in its appeal, but still rather smoky sweet.
Rumba is definitely a keeper, my 'must have' and a winner in terms of value for money.
EDIT: I bought also Rumba by Ted Lapidus - and noticed the color of the juice is pale in comparison to the robust Balenciaga's. I have not tried it yet, but I have a gut feeling it is not gonna be the same.

rednut
rednut

This smells horrible when I first spray it, chemical and sour but after 5 minutes it settles down. Its quite a powdery scent and strong. No florals on me at all so I find it a little strange that so many are listed. On my skin it goes straight to a very musky smell.It doesn't seem to change after that. I like it but given the other reviews I wonder if the formulation changed when it was taken over by Ted Lapidus which is the version of Rumba that I have

LaPetite
LaPetite

Very fruity , strong , oriental and womanly. Definitely a "night" perfume , don't wear this at the office !
I like this scent, but wouldn't wear it , as said scorpiosheep , this is for the mature, sexy ,very sure of herself woman , that i'm not , he he he.

Harajuku Love

Galya, ma c`e` un`altra versione di Rumba?! La mia e` quella della foto ma non sapevo che e` di Ted Lapidus.

Galya
Galya

Bello!
Tutti lo sentono e tutti l'adorano,quanti complimenti ricevo indossandolo!HO LA GRANDE FORTUNA DI AVERLO.
Lo chiamerei la fragranza piu' dolce e cagliente nel mondo dei profumi.Ho la versione di Ted LLapidus.

Senta
Senta

Had it in my youth and left it behind somehow. smelt it again yesterday . gave it a try-Oh my!!!! Got to get a bottle !! Yes fabulous ,love the rich opulent drydown. one of the best!

Harajuku Love

Difficult love at the begining, so complicated fragrance but it`s forever! Lasting long. Masterpiece!

You win some; you lose some. "Balenciaga" RUMBA, a recent blind buy, does not work with my skin chemistry, it seems. I am wondering, actually, whether this might be a reformulation, as the words 'TED LAPIDUS' appear quite prominently on the bottle, rather than Balenciaga. Who is Ted Lapidus, anyway? When I purchased this bottle, it was billed as from the house of the illustrious creator of LE DIX!

This Ted Lapidus RUMBA lists as notes:

basil, bergamot, rose
jasmine, orange blossom, plum
amber, patchouli, sandalwood

I'm guessing that this is not an abridged list but the actual notes of the composition, meaning that this is a drastic reformulation indeed, given that rose does not even number among the many, many notes listed in the original line up!

On my skin, Ted Lapidus RUMBA has a sourish, stale flower smell initially and then dries down to something closely resembling the scent of clothing worn by a woman wearing floral perfume after having spent several hours in a cigarette-smoke-filled bar. I actually feel dirty wearing this RUMBA and am now pining for a bath. Désolée!

cisco
cisco

Yes you did Yamba1 and I agree. I love it and am willing to throw caution to the wind. Its staying power is wonderful. This one is not a wimp for sure.

Yamba1
Yamba1

Anyone who finds Rumba appealing must try Montana Parfum de Peau. Very similar but even bigger!
I agree with Celina- why don't contemporary perfume makers at least give us an option of some big exciting perfumes? We've all become so mindful of not offending anyone- some days you just need to throw caution to the wind and apply liberally and damn the conseqences!! OOH, did I say that??

celina
celina

Fruity-floral –spicy. Grandiose fragrance with lots of tones and colors. It starts heady, sweet and fruity with plum, peaches and raspberries. Soon heavy floras come in: orchids, tuberose, gardenia, indolic jasmine. And honey!
Big style fragrance matching 80’s fashion: big volumes.

I would say the plums are continuously present from the first tone to the late dry down. Long lasting fragrance with a rich oriental base: sandalwood, patchouli, musk, vanilla, tonka bean, styrax, and amber. Also, I can feel a distinct pungent smell, unusual: marigolds. I am not very excited about it (it could be considered a good replacement for civet). Old style oakmoss, in complete splendor. And lovely thick leather rounding all the other tones.
This type of construction is not made anymore. So rich and multidimensional, tones, colors, details and subtleties. Very well done. It was a pleasure to study this composition. Great for training my nose.

Not my style, for sure. Too loud and too much. That brings one question to my mind: why last century fragrances were so long lasting and many of this century fragrances are so weak?

This fume is like rumba; if you know to dance it… it can be lots of fun.

7.4/10

hollycat
hollycat

Rumba is a fruity floral on me. I get a lot of sweet notes. Lots of honey and the plum come to my nose. It reminds me of the kind of fragrance a very gregarious, fun loving, woman would wear on a cruise whilst chatting it up with all the other vacationers. In other words. I find it a carefree scent. It doesnt suit me, however. I just get too much fruity notes. This perfume is a medley of many notes that form a coctail to my nose that becomes a bit undefinable. When it dries down its just terrible. Its as if the sweet notes have fermented and I get a sort urine smell. Good on the right woman I suppose.

Well Christine, it is a good friend alright, that stayes with you all day!! FANTASTIC perfume!

ChristineHueber
ChristineHueber

I just received this for my birthday and remember I used to wear it when it first came out. It's like meeting a dear friend once again!

BTW, ladies did you know the noses who made Rumba? They are Ron Winnegrad and Jean-Claude Ellena!

Beautiful_Scent
Beautiful_Scent

Rumba, my love! :-))
I will always love Rumba, reminds me of the careless times when I was a student!
I had Rumba in the early 90s when it was signed Balenciaga. I got a big bottle today and nothing has changed! Still the same rich and sexy scent that I remember. It is made by Ted Lapidus, but apart from this change, all stays the same, the perfume, the bottle, the box.
Wear it at night, on special occasions, or when you want to hypnotize your man :-)

parisa
parisa

I think that Rumba is more similar to Montana PdP then to Habanita (that one is much more powdery).

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

fantastic, so rich and strong, my mother used to smell this, it allways remind me of her

PávelHenry

The rights to produce Rumba was sold to Ted Lapidus's brand.
Now, it's produced by TL.

See the website: www.ted-lapidus.com
^^

nyoka
nyoka

One feels as if they r following a trail of Musk and vanilla into the woods.Shortly u come upon a huge plum tree dripping with fruit.YOU look down and notice u r standing in a very congested flower garden that reaches uo to embrace u.Vines of jasmine,tuberose at ur feet,orchids growing here and there with their lovely throats reaching nout nto the stars!But wait,I look to the right,and there is a massive magnolia tree.White blooms with lil alien centers ,begging me to come and take in its beauty.I finally smell the scent of the trail again.its a very girly girl all vanilla and lace riding a horse on a magnifecent shining leather sandle.THe aroma leades me blindly on following this magical scent!

aromaminx
aromaminx

i thought i liked it on my skin....until a collegue described it as...'putrified ' on my skin.lol

bloodflower
bloodflower

at first sniff you get a powerful bergamot plum basil mix, it is strong and loud, then after 5 minutes it settles down to a honey-ier scent, like a flower honey sweet but a little sharp and i think plum is still here, the flowers are so many that none stands out, again the dry down has so many notes that it is almost impossible to distinguish them, sure i get a woody smell something like many woods mixed with vanilla, no sweetness or leather. i think rumba screams classic to me, a scent from another decade, something so familiar but so distant from me, it is too much i think, too much notes and the whole composition is too aggressive for me, i like more delicate perfumes. but i have the feeling i will love it one day, when i'll be able to pull it off. now i think i prefer cristobal to rumba.

Annah7
Annah7

Just bought it today (without testing,based on good reviews only). When I tried it first time I felt it was very sour, suffocating and overdone. I already packed it back into the box and put it away on a shelf..Then a few hours later I thought I was unfair and should give it a second chance. I was surprised because now it feels so much better! I have no clue why, but I started liking it..fruits, flowers and spices. I find it elegant and its staying power is very good, but I can't say that it is my favourite one.
Today (after a few days) I sprayed some on my forearm and I really like it now. I started feeling vanilla too.

tsth
tsth

Just now testing this one and initial "blast" on me is definitely the heart notes. Then I get the plum, much like Mauboussin if I put my nose right up to it. This one is very bold and for some reason reminds me of the 60's...like something my mother wore. I like it initially but not sure who's bolder..me or Rumba? That will be the defining factor on this one! If it's me, I'll keep it. Anxious to see how this one dries down as it has potential to be lovely/sexy.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

The scent of a 21st Century Fragrantican Sorceress! Carefully crafting her own spellbinding perfumes amidst endless vials of the sacred essences of velvety flowers and dark-skinned fruits, she works modern-day magic under the dancing flames of hot beeswax candles, and somewhere...one smoldering wick.

soulsong
soulsong

I love Rumba. One reviewer described as "golden, carmelized plum..." I wore it on one wrist and Aromatics Elixir on the other. It has fantastic sillage. It's not expensive. It's rich and woodsy, mossy chypre, but with the plummy caramel interwoven through it. Unlike most perfumes I am experimenting with, the drydown doesn't seem to really change it, so like most chypres, a love it or hate it affair. I love it, maybe even more than Aromatics Elixir.

Another great Balenciaga masterpiece!! What a genius feel for fragrance do those people of Balenciaga have!

guest_pearly
guest_pearly

This mystifying fragrance blends an interesting combination of contrasting notes which suprisingly go well together, without overdoing it.
I don't usually have a preferenc for 'classic' fragrances but this one is an exception, it's under rated and it deserves to be recognised again.
WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE FRAGRANCES AS DIVINE AS THIS ONE ANYMORE?????

CaraMia
CaraMia

Sultry indeed this Rumba, but I'm not feeling the red and black dress "thing" that the ads here at Fragrantica are suggesting. More like the dance, a rumba, by the pool in High Society as Sinatra sings "Mind If I Make Love to You" to Grace Kelly.

Rumba gives you the big rich debutante's bouquet, honey and fruits on the table and patchouli and leather in the night air. There is no incense listed in the notes, but Rumba has the feel of incense about it. I feared this one would turn loud and obnoxious on me but it warmed into a beautiful complex wonderful scent...and a very warm one.

Grace Kelly dives into the pool to cool off after her rumba with Sinatra. The Balenciaga scent would have suited her just fine.

moonflower143

This is really one of my favorite perfumes...yes, its really a strong fragrance but in my opinion its for those people who can dare to wear strong perfumes...its strong in a spicy and exotic way...very romantic and got lots of compliments every time i wear this...this perfume is more suitable to wear during night time...and the best thing is that it last a very very long time...would definitely get a new bottle. :-)

dina
dina

It was a big hit in the 90's. It was so famous in my country and everyone seems to wear at that time, that's why I lost my interest in buying it. The fragrance itself is rather original but not unique. I find a bit of similarity between this one and Talisman.

eljayebee
eljayebee

I'm not good at picking out specific 'notes' in perfumes. I use 3 criteria to judge a scent I initially like - can I still catch whiffs of scent hours after application? A scent can be very nice when you spray it on, but if it's gone in 3 hours, it's useless to me. - do total strangers compliment my perfume during the day? and does my husband say how nice I smell without being asked,"do you like this one?" Rumba passes muster on two out of three (no comments from total strangers yet, but I've only worn it a couple times so far).I'm afraid I disagree with Mals86,I don't find this elegant, and my husband detects a bit of skank (not a bad thing!) Not boring, I like it very much.

moonruby
moonruby

This is a nostalgic fragrance that brings back fond memories.
I've had dozens of miniature versions of Rumba in our display cabinet for years and I never knew how to appreciate the scent till now.

This fragrance perfectly blends an interesting combination of notes = fruit, oriental spices, vanilla, etc.. which brings out its unique and spontaneous attributes.

This fragrance deserves respect, so wear this to a special night on the town and you'll find yourself captivated.

moonflower143

i love strong perfumes...thats why i love this perfume...its intoxicating...a fragrance u can really call a perfume...though not all can wear this one..but i got lots of compliments when i wear this.

Hend Keshk
Hend Keshk

This perfume is just HORRIBLE! It’s too strong and overwhelming. When smelt for a long time can easily give u a big headache! I hate it!

glitteralex
glitteralex

When I first tried Rumba about a year ago, it turned me off immediately-too fruity, heady, spicy. How things change...Today (albeit, a very dry day) I tried it 3x, each time finding it more enchanting. True, it is identifiably an 80s scent. Each of the three distinct phases have incredible potency and sillage-someone at the post office came out of the back room to smell what was so delicious. All the clerks grabbed my arm; I thought they might devour it!

Strangely, I find that this perfume has one of the best uses of plum in a top note that I have ever experienced, while its younger sibling Talisman ('94) has one of the worst. The plum here is bouyant and sprightly-lifted by a good dose of aldehydes. Its richness appears only in the heart of symphonic intense florals. There is a clove/spice note beautifully intertwined with the floral heart. What makes this all so good (and what Talisman lacks) is the canvas upon which the composition is painted-a deep, animalic, high-quality base. Lots of civet and clove, sweetened by patchouli, and tempered by the lingering floral heart. The base reminds me a good deal of Paco Rabanne's la Nuit, but warmer and more accessible. I suggest comparisons to L'Arte by Gucci, Pour Une Femme by Caron, Desiderade by Aubusson (nice use of plum), Suspense by Lancetti, La Nuit, and Verscae Original for Women. A modern perfume which uses clove this well would be Kenzo Jungle le Elephant.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Not many women can dance the rumba these days. Not many women of today can wear Rumba either because I'm sure it wears them. It's like wearing a large hat in a crowded room. You're bound to knock one in the head with it.

Mals86 said it perfectly. This is a dense rich perfume for special occasions.

Rumba is like the Balenciaga gowns. Most people unfortunately cannot wear it. Please proceed over to another section of the mall.

guest_veronica
guest_veronica

ME RETRACTO DELO QUE DIJE, LAVERDAD ES UNA DELICIA EL SECRETO STA EN PONERSE POCO YA QUE AL PORNERSE DEMASIADO LA GENTE LE PUEDE MOLESTAR YA QUE ES UN PERFUME DE AUTORIDAD

Sopranooo
Sopranooo

Rumba simply is rich rounded lasting sexy perfume for special occasions, cocktail parties. It could also be weared in office for Bossy Woman. It is not 4 very young girls. Lady from 30 up to 50 could wear it. I love it on me it reminds me with the 80's dancing movies...It seems 2 me Tango dancing perfume more than Rumba

I like it :-)

PávelHenry

Rich rich rich composition!

Mals86
Mals86

Rumba is huge, exotic, rich, complicated. It strikes me as being very much an 80's scent, with its powerful sillage and dense texture. I too find that the fruits which introduce the scent are jammy and sweet, without being sugary. The fruits (peach jam is what I get most of - a deliciously candied peach, not the lactonic Mitsouko variety) then lead into a heady mix of florals, with tuberose and carnation being foremost to my nose. This is where I find Rumba to be reminiscent of the old version of Chloe, but more complex. The lovely, opulent florals gradually give way to a richly layered, slightly animalic base, where musk and oakmoss seem to predominate and tonka maintains a sweet underpinning. It's sexy without raunch.

This is a Big Perfume - complex, loud, sweet - and should, in my opinion, probably be reserved for relatively formal occasions where one will only be in close proximity with a romantic companion. Rumba would be perfect for the opera, except for that big sillage, so if you must wear it to the theater, please dab sparingly - or spray in the air and walk through. It is beautiful and demanding - not for a run to the grocery store, but requires your best heels and most elegant dress. I say that not to disparage Rumba, but to point out that its rich, sensual tone deserves the proper setting.

Lacrymosa
Lacrymosa

This is my first time reviewing for Fragrantica so bear with me I am not good with flowery prose and to make this challenging I have chosen Rumba, of all things this is indeed a challenging perfume. This fragrance seems to have everything and is very difficult to pin down. I fell in love with this scent upon first wearing when it reminded me of incense and leather and yet now when I wear it the fruits seem to stand out more and more (this could be seasonal, I am going to pay more attention to how this behaves in different temperatures). I will also add that the fruit notes in this scent are not the pink fluffy watery fruits of today's perfumes but more rich preserved , that's right preserved like jam and boozy even , very rich. I must also add that this is a very powerful scent , typical for its time, so anyone who is sensitive who wants to try this should dab and not spray--it makes a big difference to the wearer. This is perhaps the "busiest" perfume I own in terms of notes, I have read some call it a comfort scent and others refer to how exotic it is , I believe it can be both and many other things.

carito
carito

My mom used to wear this when i was a teenager...i remember ..i used it ..i was just 13 years old? it is sweet..spicy..exotic...i think it gives me great memories .