Designers » B » Chypre Floral « Groups

Basile Basile for women

Basile Basile for women
dislike

cinnamon

Basile is a female fragrance launched in 1987. It opens with notes of tangerine, orange blossom, ylang-ylang, cinnamon and clove. The heart is composed of jasmine, tuberose, rose and iris, whereas the base consists of sandalwood, patchouli, oak moss and amber.

Available as 50 and 100 ml EDT. Basile was launched in 1986.

African Orange flower Ylang-Ylang Clove Cinnamon Tangerine

Opium

Basile Fragrance Reviews

adami
adami

I agree with most reviewers that this is a very interesting, well balanced fragrance. One could wish for more complexity, given that, the way I read it, it is an opulent evening perfume (the kind that makes you feel put together and attracts just the right amount of attention at a play or concert).

But there are no miracles, this is merely the closest you can come to one, perfume-wise. The fragrance is extremely alluring and warm, and you cannot fail to be impressed. After the powerful first blast, it settles down to a spicy floral woody aroma with just the right amount of strength and sillage. It has sweetness and pungency, and the two balance each other well against the sandalwood in the background, yielding a very refined result.

It doesn't last as long as I'd like it to on my skin (about 3 hours), but none but the highest quality perfumes do.

I think it's a better buy than you might think possible at this price level. Still, if you are very focused and have a fine nose, you can discern some cheaper and synthetic ingredients, just not to the point in which they'd get in the way of enjoying the experience, if you're like most people...

My mark: 7/10

P.S. There's really no comparison with Opium. Opium is far more complex, less sweet, and the frankincense and musk make a lot of difference. Each with its own...

nargis
nargis

I totally favor Basile over Opium! It seems rounder somehow and the opening tangerine sets it apart from many other Oriental style fragrances. Basile's warm, ambery and floral dry down lasts a long time on my skin and finishes with oakmoss and sandalwood. I don't get much patchouli. I use the vintage EDP. Vintage Basile is a quality fragrance for a really low price (when you can find it). The newer version EDT is lovely too.

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

I bought an older bottle on ebay recently. This is beautiful. I saw it on a site that said it was similar to Estee Lauder's Cinnabar. I don't currently own Cinnabar but I think there is a similarity. My skin eats scent so it isn't loud on me..very nice for Autumn and Winter. I'd try to decipher the notes but my nose isn't working too well this week..I think it's still in production too.

belle de sud
belle de sud

Basile is a lovely old school oriental similar to Youth Dew and Opium. Loads of clove and cinnamon with a creamy-smooth drydown, Basile smells far more expensive than it is.

athenian
athenian

I have the original eau de parfum and it is really very similar to Opium. Great sillage but if you don't like clove please stay away. Clove is so prominent it spoils the whole experience.

Iris_it

I bought a new bottle of Basile Edt , for a cheap price as always . But , although the top notes are exactly the same , it has become lighter than the 90's version and it is less longlasting . This new edt features the same bottle and cap but it has not the dark line on the lower bottom of the cap , unlike the one in the image above . I will use the new one in Spring !

Edit : I also found a new vintage splash EdP and this gem has the same quality level as Opium first version !

Iris_it

The more I smell Basile on my skin , the more I consider it much more an oriental spicy than a chypre ... What do you think about this ?
What matters is that if you are into spices , you must try it ! I am a fan of this fragrance , so inexpensive and so rich ... When I think I have bought such a gentle and soft ( weak on my skin ) Gucci première for 55 € / 30 ml , I feel a bit stupid :-) . But that Gucci mild sweet " water " is to wear at work as it is not likely to "offend" any delicate nose . But when I have no social obligations , I prefere true gorgeous smells like ... You can guess by yourself by now :-)

EDIT : well , Gucci prémière it is available for Eu swap as I am actually too prone to disregard "social obligations" and prefer to wear a fragrance I really love . This is very naughty of me :-) , but how can I pick Gucci prémière if I can wear beautiful vintage Basile or Teatro alla Scala by Krizia instead ? These two are much more intense but really gorgeous . Sorry for the delicate noses , but I cannot help it !

alchimia72

It's true, iris_it, this is an excellent chypre with an excellent sillage, monster of longevity, original and not already smelled. An underated, very italian, warm and spicy masterpiece. In Italy is easy to find at 10 euros. When a lot of low quality stuff is sold at very high price. Incredible, but sometimes it happens.

I saw this one at a drugstore close to me for about 10 euro. It's the only place where I saw it.
I tried the tester and I was positively impressed. It smells very rosy and elegant, almost a rose-based fragrance, not heavy and not cheap-smelling.
This put me in a doubt. This seems a much more modern scent compared to the old Basile.
I'm old enough to own a mini from the '80s and it was completely different fragrance. Now my mini has gone off, but I still remember the dark ambery jus inside, floral for sure but with a strong spicy impact, almost a fur perfume, elegant and very 80s.
This new one is very different and conjures no memory for me. Anyway it's a good deal because it's inexpensive and good quality.

alchimia72

I have known this fragrance in this site. I am italian and i always snubbed the italian products sold in drugstores because of the low price. I read your reviews and i bought Basile as a blind buy.
Wow this is surprising! Excellent sillage and very well done. Very spicy, It begins like La Perla which i love but develops differently. Very very well done.
Price : 10 euros. Cinnamon and clove are the notes i detect more.
Try if you have a chance and if you love spicy fragrances.

emi_artist
emi_artist

Basile, a classic of Italian tailoring for connoisseurs, is not very well known outside its mother country, but in Italy it's always been associated with absolutely impeccable style.

This wonderful spicy chypre, is again quintessentially Italian with its love of spices and citrus. A beautiful ambery/spicy/orangey scent which is one of the most distinctive chypres I've ever smelt. Similar in style to La Perla, another impeccable chypre, but somehow this is more refined, more tailored than slinky La Perla. A warm embrace of spices gives way to an even warmer, pristine smell of ripe tangerines and amber, which is perfect for a hot autumn evening in the South of Italy. Bellissimo.

this may become one of my most loved scents. its funny because when i first spray this i really don't care for it and i actually cringe. wait just a few seconds and it starts to transform into a beautiful cinnamon/spice scent that isn't loud, but just warm and gorgeous. just a bit of orange slips in to give it just a tiny scent of citrus sweet. this slightly resembles nantucket briar to me from crabtree and evelyn, especially at first spray, but while nantucket stays sharp, this mellows out into a smooth rich goodness. i sprayed about 3 times when i put this on this morning and i can still smell it softly on my wrists. this perfume was so reasonably priced but yet smells like i paid a fortune. very well done.
10-10.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Very reasonable price... and honestly.... I didn't expect this kind of high level fragrance.
It's something special and would be hard to compare it with anything else in my collection.

Basile opens with special mix of cinamon and tangerine, some sweet flowers and hidden note of wood. Than woodsy note becomes more and more powerfull. And here it is, the most beautifull part of Basile when all those notes blend together in a woodsy incense dry down. It's mistique and it works spiritual and somehow rich. But not in tipical oriental way. Orientals are usually more sweet. The sweetness of Basile comes from white flowers and ylang-ylang and is therefore somehow gently sweet.

To make my review shorter -this stuff is superb and you will not regret if you purchase!!

LittleRed
LittleRed

This is my impression of the EDP. I haven't tried the EDT so I can't comment on it. The EDP is a gorgeous dark amber in colour, and the scent is just as wonderous. I initially had samples and had to have a bottle.

Basile is a beautiful, authentic spicy fragrance with depth. Care was obviously taken in constructing this as the notes cascade harmoniously throughout the different stages. And how it sparkles! Rich, yet not heavy in any way. The citrus is juicy and introduces Basile with a gorgeous glow. The cinnamon and clove soon arise and add more depth. Faint menthol characteristics underline the top notes - apparently there is juniper and pine in Basile, though they are not listed here. The florals are subtle at this point.

The next stage is where the true beauty happens. Fresh woodiness soaks up the citrus/spice blend and creates the body of the fragrance. The florals have now emerged, lacing the woods and spice, they carry on and stay well into the drydown.

Deep, longlasting, excellent sillage but not overwhelming; it's very warm and inviting actually.

The smell of autumn and the changing tree colours set the perfect mood for wearing Basile. Simply gorgeous! I recommend for anyone who loves woods and spice and who wants a citrus with some complexity and depth.

empressevie
empressevie

Hi Action,

As I've used your wonderful reviews for many purchases, I thought I'd offer mine of this.

BRILLIANT!! From first blast (definitely a blast) to final notes...an overwhelmingly warm, tingly and luscious journey. Lasts long, great sillage....but a soft around you sillage, not knock them out across the room.

On me opens with ....licorice???? and a nice bracing citrus combined with spice. Then, the spiciness mellows, becomes more woody and earthy and seems balanced with that bracing citrus tone and the rose and iris notes.

One of those where you keep smelling yourself just to enjoy it. I agree with Vena w and guest, very much in that spicy family like opium...but what it most made me think of was a soft, balanced more woody less spicy version of Youth Dew.

A definite rebuyer, and now I have the terrible task of deciding which of my beautiful newfound fumes to wear today!!

10/10 for this one. Quite cheap, but with a very expensive feeling...

vena w
vena w

Love this. I bought the 100 ml size on eBay for about $12, without knowing anything about it. I figured it was worth the gamble, and it was. Wonderful surprise. I catch a bit of the tangerine & orange blossom at first, but the drydown is the clincher. I'm a major fan of sandalwood and oakmoss, and of spicy fragrances (love Opium). Best of all, it lasts, which cannot be said of many pricy fragrances these days. Now if I can just find another deal like this one....

Rich ! beautiful floral spice ,very close to "Opium" YSL, long lasting fragrance.

I have been wanting to try this one forever too! Please if you know it, add your review so we can decide to buy or not..

Basile by Basile 4.11 out of 5 based on 44 ratings and 18 user reviews

Capucci Cologne by Capucci, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Capucci Cologne by Capucci, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
BASILE for MEN by Basile Fragrances EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
BASILE for MEN by Basile Fragrances EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Basile Basile fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Basile Basile, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Basile by Basile. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Basile by Basile represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.