Designers » B » Chypre « Groups

Basic Black Bill Blass for women

Basic Black Bill Blass for women
dislike

Basic Black by Bill Blass is a Chypre fragrance for women. Basic Black was launched in 1991. Top notes are carnation, plum, mandarin orange, peach, ylang-ylang, bergamot and cardamom; middle notes are honey, coriander, carnation, tuberose, violet, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin, coconut, civet, oakmoss, vetiver and styrax.

Carnation Plum Mandarin Orange Peach Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Cardamom

Honey Coriander Carnation Tuberose Violet Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose

Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Benzoin Coconut Civet Oakmoss Vetiver Styrax

Cassini

Basic Black Fragrance Reviews

Osusanna
Osusanna

When first sprayed, automatically I think of the Muppets Animal character shouting "Animal! Animal!" The civet really is terrifying at first. Then it settles down to a dull roar and that animal runs through a field of flowers in the late summer. Nice and deep but staying close to the skin. Very sexy yet very appropriate and classy. I have a 1.7 size bottle and just ordered a 3.4 oz. I believe that I will be wearing this for quite awhile. I have never ordered a backup before in my life.

DandelionPicker
DandelionPicker

Does anyone have this and wouldn't mind doing a decant for me? I'd love to try it but can't seem to find a sample anywhere.

bonnie52
bonnie52

I find that the scent lasts much longer if I spray it onto my clothes. Clean, fresh and soapy. I really enjoy this fragrance for days that I just want to smell fresh and clean rather than floral or spicy.

verdigris
verdigris

The stars aligned when I bought this one blind based on the Fragrantica note chart and reviews. WOW! I stumbled onto a real jewel and have decided to hoard the stuff!

I have no clue which formulation I have, only that it is a cologne (the bottle looks like the one above) and it is lovely. At first spray and for maybe 10-15 minutes it is a dead ringer for Coco, one of my alltime favorites, but closer to the skin than Coco EDT and dialed down a notch or two in plummy intensity. Shortly thereafter it starts to spiral down; the fruits dissipate and the florals come forward, a touch of honey emerges, and woody notes begin to appear. The dry down for me is the best; the most expensive, classy, soapy scent I have ever found. It is clean but sensual in the most discrete way and totally appropriate for any setting. There is no 'come hither' to this scent (you can confidently wear it in the Boardroom), and I would not characterize the sillage as much beyond an arms length, but somehow it sneaked into my my nearly anosmic husband's sensory system and activated, well... I would call the scent unexpectedly effective. How I missed this one when it was introduced I know not but I am so glad to have found it; its not just a keeper but a mainstay. If you like Coco and/or enjoy a clean, soapy finish then track down Basic Black!

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

This is a review for the current formulation of Basic Black:

While there is practically no sillage on my skin, this beautifully blended and subtle chypre could otherwise become seriously addictive. I gave my gorgeous little bottle to my sister, on whom it shines a bit brighter. The sillage is still light, however, and she is inclined to consider it a "skin scent" chypre. No matter. This is the comforting and dependable jewel to whip out on days when quiet confidence is required. Just like that little black dress - aptly named!

I see little resemblance to Cassini, which I've recently ( happily! ) sampled. Cassini has a good deal more "oomph" and could even be said to be strikingly vulgar by comparison. So much so that I may eventually have to obtain a bottle of my own. :)

You would be hard pressed to find a more chic chypre than Basic Black. Airy, well blended, and perfectly balanced. What more can I say?!

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

Wow! This is just very old fashioned classic - not in a grandma way. It wasn't what I was expecting (another blind buy) and I wasn't sure what to make of it at first but once I let it settle I really like it. I know incense isn't listed but it's very much like the smell of a New Age store (which I know well as I worked in one for a few years). A definate "like" for this one but just short of "love".

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

I bought a bottle of Basic Black eau de parfum from Ebay, presumably a couple of years old at least. When first sprayed, the most pronounced note is the honey, which dominates a swirl of floral and balmy and gently animalic notes. I find that the honey scent remains the most noticeable element throughout wearing. Overall, I like it; it reminds me a bit of Absolue Pour le Soir, but without the light incense component (and at a much lower price, thought it's not an equal quality, to be sure). Contrary to other reviewers'experiences, it wears rather lightly on me. I bought it hoping for a "sillage bomb", but definitely don't see that happening on me. Duration is fine, though not extraordinary, and in fact I am pleasantly surprised a couple of hours into wearing by a gentle waft of jasmine and honey every so often. But strong or heavy it isn't...I re-spray generously several times per day so that it has more oomph. Those who notice it seem to respond favorably, and as I said, I quite like it. I'll probably tear though that 3.4 ounce bottle over this summer. Better than many current offerings in the general category...

Vamy69
Vamy69

Very complex, very spicy, very sexy and not for the faint of heart. This stuff is timeless, classic and down right fabulous. I would try to describe it better if I could but there are so many notes going on that they just blend together in a harmonious way! I am so glad I blind bought this after loving Nude so much. Now I am curious as to how Hot smells.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

WOW! This is unique! I love the way it smells. I just can't put my finger on what makes it so good. It is very "French" to me. This is not for a light weight. I prefer really strong smells. I will get back to you if I can come up with anything.

Happy Perfuming~♥

athenian
athenian

Bought the new version. Not a bad fragrance but the musk is so prominent it covers almost everything else.

paiged98@gmail.com

Received it today. Have to say, this is so nice and smooth. It can be worn anytime and anyplace, dress it up or dress it down. This to me is like that favorite piece of clothing that you go for all the time and always travels with you. Oddly, I have a black cardigan that is like my "Basic Black" for dressy, casual, or dressy casual and this scent is just like that. A must have and my new BFF or should I say BBBFF!

paiged98@gmail.com

Similar to Cassini. Better in my opinion. Where Cassini is a powerhouse, this configuration shares a lot of the same notes but does not leave such a thick cloud feeling. It is softer and more for everyday. I am ordering ASAP. I tried on yesterday and will be purchasing. Basic Black is a Basic Beauty.

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

This is not a review but a recommendation - if the new version of Basic Black has not yet been issued, I suggest that you go to Ebay and purchase a bottle of the old stuff ASAP. Not all of the "old" ingredients will be permitted in a new version, a reformulation will be required and the new won't be "the same". I took a chance based on your positive reviews here and just purchased one for myself. I hope hope hope that it truly is the old version--I love civet! There are also bottles of "Nude" and "Hot" available on Ebay as well.

zelle.vs
zelle.vs

I have tried this scent and I love it. It has a magical opening, citric and flowers and Honey! But not too sweet, it is almost like a whisper that doesn't leave, I love it very much. The peach also gives its note but then all is like flowers and honey, very special, feminine, I know I am going to use this perfume during the night, and why not when i go to bed, it's calm and yet happy. Probably the civet has its second of "what is this i feel too much scent here" after about four or five minutes, then it melts with other scents, the base notes, very lastly, especially amber and patchouli. Well, I would say that the honey is completely melted here with the base notes, like a diffusion of first becoming second and then ONE. Because all the notes are there at the same time, and the sweet scent doesn't leave me. I would say use it with care, it really is strong although being a chypre it is not the typical strong oriental. It also smells clean, I cannot say it is like Cassini, because I have not tried this one yet. But probably even if the notes are similar the concentration varies from note to note and then the magic creates a different scent! I don't know. That's another part of the magic of perfumes. It also has this "je ne sais quoi" that takes me back in time. I will use this perfume with caution, it is wonderful and I know it's going to last for a long time.

It seems to have A LOT of notes in common with Cassini! Is it just like Cassini, does anyone know?

Bandit
Bandit

Black is back!

Will be reissued with Hot and Nude.

Perfect, I'm very curious about it.

Scent-a-holic
Scent-a-holic

I still have an almost full original bottle of this from like when it first came out!! And guess what it still smells the same. I guess I should wear it up but it reminds me of my "wild days" and I just love sniffing it lol. I got it for my birthday from my sister maybe thats why I don't use it up? Great unique scent with powerful silliage and lasting strength.

guest_Libra 65
guest_Libra 65

I will never forget being in a restaurant and a guy, standing behind me and whispering, whatever you're wearing smells mesmerizing on you...It was Basic Black, by Bill Blass. Please bring it back!!!!

When do you think you will bring Basic Black back? Why was it ever discontinued? It was a big mistake to discontinue it!! It is my is absolute favorite and my "signature" scent!!!!! I want to be able to buy it always and forever!! Please bring it back soon!! There is a market for it!! Thanks, please consider this request!!!

I was VERY dissapointed when the discontinued Basic Black!! I LOVED it. Men at my job (friends) would follow me just to smell the fragrance. Can't you bring it back??

perfumeaddict
perfumeaddict

Its a shame this is discontinued - its one of the sexiest fragrances I own. Very complex, with heady floral notes as well as woody and spicy notes, its a very dark scent as the name "basic black" implies. I'd consider it a very mature scent, and not for teens at all.

Basic Black by Bill Blass 3.83 out of 5 based on 55 ratings and 21 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bill Blass Basic Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bill Blass Basic Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Basic Black by Bill Blass. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Basic Black by Bill Blass represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.