Designers » B » Oriental « Groups

Explorer Boadicea the Victorious for women and men

Explorer Boadicea the Victorious for women and men
dislike

An unisex fragrance, confident and irresistible.

Explorer melts with skin with its amber balm, made rich with precious orris butter.

It starts with shimmering notes of bergamot and galbanum, which give way to a deep, tawny and rich base of citrus resins, rose and dense cedar oil.

It is available as 50 and 100 ml EDP and 100 ml atomizer. Explorer was launched in 2008. The nose behind this fragrance is John Stephen.

Galbanum Bergamot Orange

Amber Orris Root Rose

Virginia Cedar French labdanum

Explorer Fragrance Reviews

AveParfum
AveParfum

If you love woods like I do, especially green, coniferous forests, this smells amazing. Take Russel Crowe as the Gladiator, with dry, brown dust clinging to his heels and sandals, and send him off on an expedition to the Pacific Northwest in the 1800's, and you have Explorer. It smells like the smooth, moist, young wood from the core of a redwood tree, maybe some aromatic cumin, and just a whisper of worn, brown leather.

There is some menthol in the beginning. I swear that patchouli, a member of the mint family, has to be missing from the pyramid because Explorer smells strongly of fresh patch as well, as though somebody grabbed a whole handful of it...unless somehow all of those other notes blend together to create an earthy, dusty, mentholated, patch-like effect.

One surprising facet of Explorer is that it's a masculine orris root perfume. Think 28 La Pausa (Chanel)--starchy, chalky, gray but take it in a completely masculine direction. This is the first time I have smelled orris root used in this way. It is a completely androgynous fragrance, yet in comparison to other orris root perfumes, Explorer seems distinctly masculine.

I love dry woods, and I find Explorer to be absolutely gorgeous. The quality is exceptional as well. Sillage is fantastic, and so is longevity. This is one perfume that was a no-brainer; an absolute must-have for me.

ConsumerThis

The best part of this juice is about 4 hours later on my skin, a whole new scent envelopes. It goes from a very earthy type scent that just smells good and fresh to a masculine musky scent that's very complex but smells sooooo sexy and young and playful. This is for sure a signature scent that can be worn all year long!! The best boadicea I have smelled to date! Perfect longevity and project. 10/10

ConsumerThis

This takes Amber to a whole new level of love. This is a sophisticated gentlemans scent. Masculine but subtle. Great longevity and projection. I love this house for what they do. Niche perfumery. A+ 10/10

Fragrance was designed to be tested on skin as it mixes with ones chemistry it can differ from person to person, especially male to female. There have been so many reviews posted on here where people spray on paper and run straight to this site to let everyone know all about it and how the longevity and projection is going to be 20 mins later. Please, real fragrance enthusiasts only. There's fragrances that smell nice on paper and on skin smell like fish. Please test and post accurate info for fragrance enthusiasts such as myself. Thanks!

nasser8383
nasser8383

i did try 8 perfumes from Boadicea, all can be excepted and i can live with them except COMPLEX its simply not my taste

but explorer i can classify it as second in the Boadicea collection
Scent is nice but not the best in this collection (7/10)
nice fresh amber smell

Longevity is too long as most of Boadicea group
Sillage is strong too

in general smell is second best smell from this group after imperial

in general Boadicea collections fit mostly as manhood perfumes and fresh perfumes

overall 8.5/10

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Explorer by Boadicea is probably the nicest scent by this brand I’ve tested so far. It opens with a rubbery, dry, spicy and dark blend centered on sour woods (cedar, but really dry and gloomy), herbs, galbanum, austere resins and initially just a hint of labdanum. The texture is thin, leathery (no leather, though), somehow quiet but bold and threatening. The mood is refined and mysterious, fairly synthetic too but not (that) unpleasant, as it nicely recreates a sort of fascinating, nocturnal, silent and obscure “natural mood”, with nuances of aged wood, something salty-camphoraceous that reminds me of ambergris, dusty resins. In the middle stages it “warms up” a bit, and the orris root note emerges – fairly restrained and tamed down, well concealed behind the general austere darkness, but it’s there; almost not powdery at all (as you would expect instead), rather rooty-earthy and dusty, with a hint of amber too. Finally, a smoky, earthy, shy rose note emerges, quite a “masculine” rose despite being much subtle. Overall Explorer remains sour and dry in a way that becomes a bit boring after a while, but with a fascinating, sophisticated feel of austere darkness. Not saying it’s particularly good, but say: “not unpleasant”.

6,5/10

abmr999
abmr999

Longevity - 9/10
Sillage - 9/10
Scent - 9/10

alberto1964
alberto1964

A bomb of purity, the essence of heavenly...I think that John Stephen thought the smell of Dante's paradise. Can anyone say otherwise? A masterpiece.

Wow!!!! I tried 6 fragrances from this house and while they were all magnificent 2 (oddly) really stood out for me and this is one of them. I say 'oddly' because I was not expecting the fresher more fruity/citrus end of the spectrum to tickle my fancy as much as 'Explorer' and 'Adventuress' did. It maybe because I'm used to resinous, spicy, warm and Oud scents in this price range or maybe I have half an eye on spring/summer juices now but I certainly didn't think I'd be looking to fork out on a niche juice of this sort.
The first thing that strikes you about this brand is the bottles (flacons...whatever!?) they are spectacular!!! I mean they look great in the photos here and you kind of know what to expect but when you see them an feel the weight you can't help but be impressed with the almost Game of thrones like, kind of ye olde, celtic styling. Just from a collection point of view these are stunning but the juice inside(from the few I've tried) matches the care and attention taken to the presentation.
Boadicea the victorious has real calibre and this fragrance totally blew me away to be honest...I love it.
The opening is gorgeous fruity and the strange sweetness of labdanum and orris but as it settles becomes very dry and resinous with an kind of earthy spice to it.
I can't say I've encountered anything like it. Explorer shimmered in the drydown changing slightly to a ambery, fir like vibe very interesting.
Projection not huge and longevity is good enough for me but you'd expect it to be very long lasting at this price.

unquote
unquote

Bitter and dry. Resinous yet smoky at the same time.

As always, the key to wearing any Boadicea is moderation -and dare I say it- even timidity. Always err at the side of caution. This is a serious, unapologetic perfume house for trained noses.

If you carefully test the waters first in applying this one, then you'll be pleasantly exhilarated.

SDVHC
SDVHC

This is one of the best perfume that I ever smelled. TO TRY. For the purchase, for me is more recommended for a girl, however really a great impression...!

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

Boadicea means business with this opening. I have read so much about the "bitchy wire-mother" green opening of Cristalle, but Explorer is what I imagined that green opening to be, but amped up 100x. I doubt anyone can smell this much RICH bitter green and have an indifferent response. I laughed aloud from surprise and admiration at the audacity of the opening. It's ravishing, in a more Celtic hoarde pillaging your Roman garrison kind of way. Rich, high quality natural feel. Great longevity, and yet I never felt it overpowering-- and then hours later, she put down her sword, took off her breastplate, and exposed a GORGEOUS drydown... the bitter is gone, leaving behind a non-powdery (thanks be to the old gods) iris and a not-too-vanilla amber. I definitely get some leather as well.
Other sample vials received the same day lie scattered, already forgotten. Like I need another expensive niche habit. Hail, Boadicea-- still conquering 2000 years later.

hollycat
hollycat

This perfume is gorgeous. Just for fun, I prefer to test fragrances without knowing what the notes are and I try to guess the notes when I wear the perfume. Then later after a day of wear I go and look at the notes and see if what I smell is congruent with the listed notes. I was a bit off on this one. What I smelled was an herbal like pine and amber scent that had some bitterness and sweetness at the same time. I concluded it was a crype even though it say's its an oriental. It does not smell oriental to me at all.

After looking at the notes it turns out that the green and herbaceous notes come from the galbanum, and yes there is amber but its not backed up by vanilla as most ambers are. The bitterness must come from the cedar or galdanum notes and theres a nice balance of bitter and sweet here in this scent.

Explorer kind of reminds me of Eau Des Merveilles because even though there is no pine in Explorer, it still smells piney to me and the pine note in EDM stands out on me along with the amber. To my nose the two are very similar, but Im sure its just my skin or nose that perceives this similarity.

Explorer is rich, herbaceaus, deep, dark, resinous, balmy, and simply divine. As someone below mentioned it has a resinous quality that does smell like frankincense, even though its not listed.

The bottles are a work of art unto themselves. I love anything Celtic so Im drawn to the whole design of the bottles from this line. So glad I got a sample of this in a swap. Highly recomend you explore Explorer.

babylon_baby
babylon_baby

Magnificent sandalwood with galbanum and resins,also contain high quality frankincense,smells so natural and rich.The drydown is close to Amouage's XXV.

Majesty
Majesty

My first attempt on Boadicea the Victorious!What a joy!Explorer justify its name dark,rough,uncompromising.Starts really bitter,lots of galbanum and sparkly citrus.You have to take this precious gem step to step.After a while,it becomes balmy and herbal,amber, olibanum and bitter cedar.Eventually it gets a bit sweeter but still it's not considered as sweet.I can see myself wearing Explorer,dynamic,unrelenting,unrestrained!That's Explorer!Very good lasting power,great quality.

al.to
al.to

Bitter and sting like a bad natural medicine!
very particular the accord galbanum+ citrus resins remember me Borneo 1834(lutens) without patchouli.
Diffucult to wear but it sounds very natural never synthetic.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Boadicea the Victorious Explorer fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Boadicea the Victorious Explorer, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Explorer by Boadicea the Victorious. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Explorer by Boadicea the Victorious represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.