Designers » B » « Groups

Astor Place Bond No 9 for women and men

Astor Place Bond No 9 for women and men
dislike

ozonic

Astor Place is a new fragrance by the niche house of Bond No.9. The perfume was introduced in 2009 and inspired by sculpture The Cube by Tony Rosenthal, located at the plaza in Manhattan where Lafayette Street meets the Bowery, which is based and rotated on one of its edges. Model for its bottle was the sculpture, painted with colourful triangles and decorated with tiny gold details.

Astor Place will arrive on the market on April 1st 2009 as a unisex edition with feminine tendencies – says founder of the house, Laurice Rahme. The nose behind the perfume is Laurent Le Guernec of IFF, who enriched top notes with mandarin and violet leaves, a heart blooms with freesia, red poppy buds and iris root, while base notes add accords of teak wood, musk and amber.

Astor Place can be found as 50ml (1.7 oz) and 100ml (3.4 oz) edt, as well as in a special bottle of 100 ml edt decorated with Swarovski crystals.

Mandarin Orange Violet Leaf

Freesia Red Poppy Orris Root

Amber Musk Teak Wood

J`adore
High Line

Astor Place Fragrance Reviews

Tardigrada
Tardigrada

To me this one wins the stinkiest bond competition. Just like I hate J'adore and other sweet "good girl" annoyingly cloying fragrances, this fits in the same shelf.
0 out of 10

sky blue
sky blue

I didn't like it before at all.

Tried it again the other day, it was cool and cloudy weather outside and unexpectedly this vibrant, a bit "80's" composition lifted up my mood. It is an elegant, a bit loud floral fragrance, with some almost fruity sweetness and dry violet notes. Yes, it is similar to J'Adore but much better IMO.

Feminine, rich, with a very good sillage, but a bit "formal", not a casual, everyday fragrance. It is nice to wear it from time to time.

Tomkokatarina@yahoo.com
Tomkokatarina@yahoo.com

I can't help it, it reminds me of the OFF mosquito repellent. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't buy it. I live in NY and to me, Astor place is more vibrant and punk. I expected this scent to be more energetic.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

What I got in my bottle was Bond No. 9 Basil and Parmesan Pesto.

Bond No. 9 is the line for which I feel relief when I don't want to buy one of their seemingly endless new concoctions. Being a native New Yorker, I can't help but love their concepts, bottles, artistry, and positivity. I truly do love New York, and I know of no other city that could inspire a line of such remarkable fragrances that carry meaning beyond their olfactory and visual appeal. No matter how close New York actually comes to being a universal dream-come-true, it's not possible to perfect in every way. Astor Place, the place itself, brings to my mind the boring Alamo sculpture, aggressive traffic, pedestrian angst, the beaver on the subway, and imposingly awkward ionic columns. Clearly I've fallen behind when it comes to New York place associations, so I can't figure out why the Astor Place fragrance is a shrieking blend of freesia and teak wood. Neither the heat-tolerant freesia nor tropical teak wood fare well in places with such cold winters. Astor Place is a finely crafted, elegant fragrance, and I think for perfume lovers it will be one of the favorites of Bond's whole line. I, however, don't like it. There's nothing wrong with it...in fact, just the opposite. I really wish it worked for me, but it's just not appealing. I've read reviews that compare this to J'Adore. I detest J'Adore, so it's no surprise I can't stand Astor Place, (I love the bottle, however). I adore New York, but Astor Place is not a top destination for me. If one of the neighborhoods has to smell like this stuff, I'm glad it's not Morningside Heights.

Michael1962
Michael1962

I blind bought this and now I regret doing so.thoroughly agree with gaz525.Although not quite rotting flowers I detect a floral slightly past its use by date and oh so synthetic.When compared with Tom Ford's Jonquille de Nuit there is no comparison for freshness for the spring months we are currently enjoying.Granted all perfumes are synthetised these days,there are well blended ones and ones not so well blended.This falls into the later category.I gave it a chance and wanted to like it but unfortunately it hasn't grown on me and its now about to be regifted.Smells like a cheap $4 Glade air freshener.

gaz525
gaz525

Absolutely rotten smells like sour flowers and I usually love floral scents,got bond no 9 high line on its way,hoping it will be better than Astor place

thazinha30
thazinha30

Got a few samples from Bond no 9 and Astor Place was one of them. I like the smell, it's a "cute" smell if that makes any sense. Ok longevity: on me it lasted about 5 hours, then I reapplied and the second time around it lasted another 6 hours. Floral, sweet but not cloying. Will try a few more days to decide whether this is worth the price they ask.

PS: Definitely wouldn't wear it if I was a guy. Way too floral.

Roshap
Roshap

goes on very floral. after about 2 hours the base notes really come through, and this becomes basically a very clean musk. even so, still more feminine than unisex.

freshcultureshock
freshcultureshock

I cannot believe lily of the valley is not listed. This has it in it , and it is divine!

paulab
paulab

I find this to be a floral, woody musk. Pretty and IMO very feminine. I get a sweet (freesia) floral that dries down to a soft woody musk. I understand the comparisons to J'adore, they would be in the same genre, but I find them quite different. This has decent silage and good lasting power. One of the few that I have been able to empty the bottle, and will repurchase.

s_raquidan

I went to dinner with my female friend and as she opened the door to get in my car she said......FUCK...what perfume are you wearing you smell so fucking good!!!!!!

I blended Astor Place with West Side.....this is a knock out combination. If you want to impress and have people swearing at you because you smell phenomenal....try mixing Astor Place with West Side!!!!!!!!

s_raquidan

a fresh, handful of hand picked flowers.....drenched from the rain. id describe it exactly as that. as a guy who wears this regularly, i get a lot of comments cuz it mixes well with my body chemistry and personality. im more fun and flirty when i put this on. the sillage is awesome but beware this edp is extremely powerful. i almost cannot put it on my neck cuz it chokes me out....thats how strong it is. be careful on the application (as with most Bond's)!

Lola Montes18
Lola Montes18

If Escada & YSL had a love child. A bit on the aqua side as well. I also detect a bit sort of berry in there too.

heatherine
heatherine

Second only to High Line for my favorite Bond. I just can't help myself when it comes to freesia, and this is so well mixed and multi-dimensional it really takes the prize in all the freesias I've sniffed. Fairly well lived too, I could smell it faintly the next morning after putting it on around noon time the day before. Sillage is good, it's not a bomb, but people within a small radius of you will get just such a sniff as to appreciate it. Win!

Dougczar
Dougczar

Agree completely with huzayfa. This stuff smells GREAT - but really not unisex - this is very feminine. If I were a woman, I would get a bottle of this ASAP.

huzayfa
huzayfa

I like it. But it's definitely more of a woman scent. (think 70/30 split). If a woman were wearing this it would make my head spin.

Astor Place open up clean and floral. It reminds me of an elegant wedding, or the smell of a luxurious honey-moon suite scattered with rose petals.

Grade: B- (but only on a woman)

K1
K1

Astor place is more feminine in start; floral, woody, aromatic and semi-soapy. Whole the scent is fresh and comforting but heavy as well.
Dries down in stronger woody and floral, but notes are exaggerated in this step and everything seems to want to over-exposure! Deep, smoky and waxy base makes it darker unlike decent opening.
A causal item and proper for under 30 for men and limitless for women. Not a good idea for formal occasions, maybe only wedding parties.

outofocus

I did try J'Adore and it does not remind me of this scent, not more that J'Adore reminds me of Paris.

outofocus

For men and women?? Oh, I would never present this fragance to a man!! I must say the flacon is quite attractive, as is almost the whole Bond Nr.9 line. Then the fragance, it reminded me of Paris, I smelled quite a lot of violets. I have not tried J'Adore but will soon to compare. Last but not least, the price: well, it's a nice bottle but the fragance is just so over... I could buy Paris at half the price and will probably get much more for the dollar.

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Great bottle! Almost worth the price of admission (almost).

Yes, I do get the J'adore comp here (which I do like) but it is no copy. Less floral (more serious) and a little warmer. Fem without the girly.

The mandarin orange upfront is excellent (a fave). After a decent time period the freesia takes over and keeps the bottom dwelling amber and musk at bay.

Sillage is excellent and the longevity is better then some Bonds(Chez Bond, Riverside, Saks for Him) which at these prices they all ought to go all day/night long!

FYI - this was a 2010 FiFi Women’s Nouveau Niche winner.

myolderbrother
myolderbrother

This is like a limey cucumbery Sunflowers. Interesting but not breathtaking. Decent staying power. Could be memorable because it is kind of unique. Thank goodness for the Bond bottles!!!!

mocha43

I got a sample of J'Adore which is supposed to be so much like Astor Place. Astor Place has much more of a mandarin, violet leaf kick where J'Adore is sweet and floral. Also on me Astor Place has much more sillage and lasts 4 or 5 hours on me and J'Adore only lasts 30 minutes and then fades away. Maybe the sample is to blame. At any rate I do not find much similarity between the 2 scents. At this time Astor Place is in my top 5 fragrances.

mocha43

I received my 3.3 oz bottle from an auction on e-bay for a very reasonable price and I am loving it! Definitely the genuine article. It is fresh, invigorating and lasts about 4 hours on me which is acceptable since I soak up scent. I think the notes that make it so special for me are the freesia, mandarin orange and violet leaf. Comparing to J'Adore, I notice j'Adore has 18 notes in the EDP and 11 in the EDT. A number of reviewers notice a similarity between these 2 fragrances although, I personally do not think they are that similar. They do share several notes, which are freesia, mandarin orange and violet. So they have these similarities. At this time Astor Place is in my top 10 fragrances. I will have to update my favorites in my profile.

pipi1
pipi1

I am not sure about the notes here but this smells too damn similar to J`adore by Dior

krishka
krishka

it is an ok scent, nice but not outstanding....the quality does not correspond with the price tag.

It's usually a bad sign when the first remark in a review refers to the bottle, but I cannot resist saying how beautiful is the vessel in which Bond no 9 ASTOR PLACE is harbored.

As for the juice inside, I must agree with those who find ASTOR PLACE redolent of Dior J'ADORE. Unclear why, given the rather disparate list of (admitted) notes. Freesia, perhaps? Is this a big freesia frag? All I know for sure is that whatever the culprit is in J'ADORE which makes that composition essentially unwearable for me, it is happily absent from ASTOR PLACE.

So, all in all, ASTOR PLACE is a winner in my book: the bottle is even more beautiful than the J'ADORE bottle (which I cannot give up despite my inability to wear the juice inside), and yet this edp is an appealing and feminine floral which works well with my skin chemistry and seems pleasing to others (non-wearers in the vicinity) as well.

All of that said, I am unsure as to why ASTOR PLACE won the best nouveau niche FIFI. It's not really new, IMNSHO. But it certainly has good longevity and sillage, and anyone who likes J'ADORE will appreciate ASTOR PLACE--that's virtually a guarantee!

Bellatrix
Bellatrix

Women’s Nouveau Niche
Bond No. 9 Astor Place

Bond No.9 New York

- not sure if I would give this perfume an award like this...

- it is ordinary, so floral and regular...

mocha43

Have tested this 3 or 4 times, and I just love it more and more. The interesting thing about Bond scents is that several of them develop in the most delightful and unexpected ways. It does not smell like J'adore to me. All the notes just come together so beautifully that this is definitely on my "buy list, if I can get it for a decent price,"

mocha43

I got this in a 39 package of samples from e-bay. When first applied it smelled pleasant but not special But Then it evolved into a very intriguing blend that I had to keep sniffing. It lasted about 4 hours on me. I look forward to sampling it again tomorrow because it was an interesting trip today.

my2scents
my2scents

I often put a bit of a fragrance on the back of my hand to sniff during the day at work and sample. Today, I decided to grab a random Bond out of my desk drawer at home – I grabbed Astor Place and thought I’d give it some more attention since I’d only briefly smelled it in the store up til now.

When I first put it on, I got a pleasant, but not exceptional plummy fruit note. It seemed nice enough and I thought perhaps it could be something the GF would like when she wanted something light or girly. By the time I had gotten to work, it had fallen flat. I’m not sure exactly what the culprit is, but it’s turned into the smell of shampoo. I lived with a number of girls one year in college, and this is the smell of their just-washed hair while getting ready to go out for the night. I think the freesia may be to blame, but I can’t be certain. What I get now is nothing more than wet Pantene hair. Every now and then, I get a pop of citrus, likely the mandarin sticking its head out for a breath of air.

I wrote most of this earlier and then headed to a meeting. Astor Place did evolve some, but not much. There were a few minutes that I felt like it was going to turn into something better, more tart – but then it settled back into a shampooed head. The juicy mandarin is smothered with the hammering freesia and white florals.

I’m left pretty disappointed for the most part. It’s a pity – the bottle is quite a sight, and the real location seems to be very cool. Perhaps that intersection has a lot of recently washed heads of hair.

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

I would say this smells very tuberosish! It reminds me a lot of Jadore. My best friend agreed with me. She loves this, and she Loves Jadore!

Kankuro
Kankuro

Very nice, very floral and fresh, but it is VERY similar to Paris Hiltons first fragrance and J'adore, which is annoying.

debbborra
debbborra

There's something about this fragrance that hits between the nose and throat. The smell diminishes when you put your nose right up to your skin - when you do that you get a huge whiff of the mandarin and flowers. Beyond the mandarin, which is nice and very much at the forefront when this goes on, there is a quality that reminds me of walking into a shop that sells soap or candles.
I've come to the conclusion that the violet leaves are what elevate this fragrance above the mundane and keep it from being just another nice fruity floral.

On me the longevity is about four hours, but my skin can eat fragrance.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

The last time I stop by Bond No.9 counter at SFA at Union Sqaure in San Francisco, I spay some of Astor Place on a Bond No. 9 Blotter and a little on the back of my hand.

It opens up with the most beautiful floral blend and has a sensual warm down of teak wood & amber.

I am using the blotter as a bookmark. I get a waft of this EdP, which has a "feminine" feel to it. Each time I open my book to read, the smell of Astor Place puts a smile on my face.

I so enjoy this scent. I will buy the candle once it comes out so I may be able to fill up a room with this beautiful scent from Bond No. 9.

Astor Place by Bond No 9 3.90 out of 5 based on 164 ratings and 35 user reviews

Bond No. 9 New York 'Astor Place' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 New York 'Astor Place' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 New York 'Astor Place' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz
Bond No. 9 New York 'Astor Place' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 Astor Place fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 Astor Place, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Astor Place by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Astor Place by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.