Designers » B » Oriental Floral « Groups

Chinatown Bond No 9 for women and men
dislike

I have it: 564 I had it: 128 I want it: 563 My signature: 11

tuberose
Chinatown Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures Chinatown Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures Chinatown Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures Chinatown Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures

This perfume was introduced in 2005, also available in Swarovski crystals decorated version. The creators of fashion house Bond No.9 found inspiration for the romantic look of the bottle in the Ming dynasty. Chinatown is a real sweet and spicy sensation, created by Aurelien Guichard. Top notes seduce with intoxicating scents of peach blossoms and bergamot. The heart is composed of gardenia, honey and sensual sweet tuberose, peony and orange blossom, while the base is made of patchouli, cedar, warm and soft vanilla, sandalwood, cardamom, and Guiac wood. The perfume is characterized as floriental, which can also be sensed from its very name and the bottle design. Chinatown is holiday edition for 2008 introduced in the amount of 50 ml edt, in the bottle tasseled with the smallest Swarovski crystals which reflect light the best, in ruby red color. It costs 650 dollars. It is a limited edition and belongs to the collection of three Swarovski All Stars perfumes.

Bergamot Peach Blossom

Peony Tuberose Gardenia Orange Blossom

Patchouli Virginia Cedar Sandalwood Guaiac Wood Cardamom Vanilla

Supreme Bouquet
Me Myself & I

Chinatown Fragrance Reviews

fraspoki
fraspoki

An addictive smoky accord cozily wrapped in a creamy peachy blanket. An immediate attention grabber. Reminds me of China - but not a stereotypical noisy and stinky quarter - real China smelling of Buddhist temples and peaches blossoming in April.

Deppaholic

I own two Bond fragrances, this and New Haarlem. This is spicy. Sometimes I wonder if it's too spicy. It just depends on my chemistry for the day. I hate being in menopause. Sometimes I love a fragrance, and then it turns on me :( Having said that, Chinatown still plays well. I myself, love the bottle. I love all the Bond bottles, easy to grab, heavy, some are so gorgeous! I can't pick out a single note. All I know is this is a cold weather fragrance. I think it would kill me if I tried to wear it in the warmth of spring or summer. I love it. Shame that bottle just sits all summer. My daughter and I have gone through about 5 bottles of this over the past 3 years, and that's saying a lot! She has 2 on her dresser, and I have 1. So that should at least let you know how much we do love it. Hopefully you'll be able to test it if you have not yet! And as always, which sometimes is hard to do, try before you buy. Try this in winter! She is so fine to dance with then!

StinkySally
StinkySally

What they said below.

Judging by the number and length of the reviews, Chinatown has a strong presence. And it does, in its own urbane way.

Chinatown -- the place, in San Francisco, Vancouver, B.C., NYC, Los Angeles, London -- has always conjured memories of dark shops with shiny baubles and an alluring back room that seems to be the source of an indescribable incense. There's the smell of sweet-musty polished wood, old wood. And a bit of tobacco.

Chinatown, this glorious brew, evokes those memories, especially in the woody dry down. The first blast of sharpness put me off, but after 10-15 minutes, Chinatown was doing a dance on my skin, evolving minute by minute, moving hither and yon among its notes: now fruity, now white floral, now incense, now woody and back again. Amazing!

(Sheisedo's original Zen had the Chinatown-the-place notes I was looking for, too, but it was softer and different with its strong orris root presence. I mourn the loss of that beauty.)

Btw, the bottle is gorgeous, whimsical and pretty. Hold on to it: in 50 years or less, Bond No. 9 bottles will be collector's items!

And another thought about sillage and longevity. Regardless of how the various notes work for you, fragrance also lasts at different rates, too, depending on skin chemistry and whether you spray on your clothes or not. Also our noses get used to a fragrance after a while; people will tell you you smell sooooo gooood, and you say "Huh?"

Also sillage is so subjective. I've seen reviewers complain about the "poor sillage" of an olfactory megaton bomb (Caesar Woman comes to mind ... gaack). For me, I don't want anyone smelling my fragrance unless they're within a foot or two of me. No clearing out the theatre with my fragrance!

CeceliaHuynh
CeceliaHuynh

This is a beautiful floral that dries down to a sweet, woody incense. It is a divine, gourmand yet delicate 'one of a kind' fragrance. I wish it came in a different bottle! I have to decant it into a travel atomiser when I fly (it's too heavy and made of glass) and I find the design of pink and white blossoms kind of tacky for such an exceptional scent. This is the only Bond No. 9 fragrance I like and it seems like a far cry from all the others (with the exception of New Haarlem).

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Chinatown: sweet, silky vanilla roundness with hints of tonka and cardamom, a warm, almost caramelised resinous thickness, amber, and a white bright floral accord (ylang, peony and that type of flowers). Citrus notes on the aromatic/sweet side – like neroli and bergamot. Sandalwood on the base providing a "bold" support, but in line with the general sweetness, carrying its signature sweet-woody creaminess. In short, Chinatown is a gourmand on the amber-floral side suspended into a vanilla cloud, not cloying but rather pleasant, even if not that original nor particularly interesting. I guess gourmand lovers may love this one – for me it's only a bit more than decent, and surely better than dozens of others of this genre.

6,5/10

BillyJean
BillyJean

It was a blind buy. Did not work for me to start off with. A few years later I have grown to love it so much. When I am in the mood for it it's just beautiful.
When my kids want me too put some perfume on them they often go for this one as they love the bottle.
Try it. One of a kind.

dalmajen
dalmajen

I am have finally tried a Bond fragrance. I avoided these fragrances, as the prices are way out of my price range..I would have to be virtually in love to buy a FB of any of these. I was Lucky enough to have been gifted a large sample of this, and decided to make a day long testing of this. My first impression is a peach sprinkled with cinnamon, followed by a smokey vibe. This smokey accord drifted in and out for the first hour or so. It was quite pleasant, but nothing extra exciting..the floral heart notes were rather bland..in other words, they didn't shine through as expected. I seemed to detect more of the orange blossom than the other listed notes. The dry down was pleasant, but the volume was turned way down...as if they were told to stay in the background. It lastest on my skin for quite a long time, which is a great feat! But, the sillage is low key...hardly noticable, on me, anyway...my view on Chinatown is a watery, but simple spice fragrance, with a very nice dry down, that comes across shyly. It didn't float my boat, as I love more dramatic type fragrances, and this does not live up to the price expectation. It had a particular note that I detected in the reformulated Opuim..that sort of watery cinnamon note..hard to describe, but there..i am so pleased I was able to test this, as I have always wondered what magic Bond had to offer. So many beautiful, and great bottles! I won't pass judgement on this house, as would need to test a lot more fragrances..but, Chinatown didn't have the Wow factor for me..it is just a nice, and ordinary fragrance. Almost like Chinatown without the mystery.....

antihero
antihero

Chinatown is an incredible elixir of a spicy tuberose.
Tuberose, cardamom, peach blossom, vanilla and sandalwood.

Comforting and smooth, this beauty is a must try from Bond. Absolutely unique.

In my top five favourite fragrances.

I love Chinatown.

Estebanz
Estebanz

What a luscious unisex fruity floral this fragrance is, guys don't let the pink bottle fool you, there's enough woods and spices here to balance the Sweet creamy floral quality of Chinatown, this is one of the best compositions that utilize the note of cardamon in a very successful way increasing the aromatic spicy quality of the scent.

FrozanKaos
FrozanKaos

Finally got myself one of these, can't wait to try it out.

2nd Review :
I'm trying Chinatown again right now..
Today is a rainy day.. Cooler weather..
This reminds me a lot of one of my favourite cookies called "Verkade Speculaas" (the original one) but with added of coconut.. (sorry, i never ate the Verkade Coconut version, so i cannot compare with that)..
I can see why people love this masterpiece as this indeed exotic, spicy,, smooth, creamy, & even yummy.. ^^
On my skin, Chinatown blossoms in cooler weather.. As in warmer weather it would cloying me..
The coconut in Chinatown is more natural smelling than in Lolita Lempicka Elle L'aime..
Still, Chinatown is too coconut-ty galore for me.. Soo right now i'll stick with Estee's Sensuous Nude (softer coconut) untill i find other nicer substitute.. =)

EternityFresh
EternityFresh

Get ready for some serious white flowers, enticing peach blossom and spices! Finish up with some lovely vanilla and you have a delicious treat. Very different, very good!

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

When I first got this, I figured I wouldn't like it. The first couple times I tried it, I didn't like it, perhaps because of the preconceived notions I had. I expected this to be gourmand... I was told if I like gourmand perfumes, this was THE Bond to try.
Surprise, this is 0% gourmand. But the more I test it, the more I like it. It reminds me of bar soap and yankee candles.
I really love Lexington Avenue, but the lasting power on that one was bad, and there was some odd things it did on my skin. This reminds me of Lexington, but sweeter and with a little better lasting power, and without the overall weirdness. I am buying a FB of this, may update if I catch anything new with the bottle vs my decant.

francess.raymundo
francess.raymundo

This smells like Hermessence Santal Massoïa!

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

This is like Fracas without the bitch slap, a down-to-earth tuberose civilized by the cedar and sandalwood and anchored firmly to the ground by its patchouli feet. A worthy substitute if Fracas makes your throat burn.

Beauty4Ashes
Beauty4Ashes

I really don't get why this is perceived as such a "sexy" scent. I mean, it's OK. I describe it as a cozy, comforting scent. If warm rice, milk and spices like nutmeg are sexy to you, then maybe you would see its sex appeal. I don't. I bought this without sampling and it was a mistake. It could just be that it doesn't work with my skin chemistry. Glad I was able to sell, so it was not a complete loss. The most interesting thing about Chinatown is the bottle. If any Bond has sex appeal it's West Side. Now THAT is sexy.

caljaun
caljaun

My first Bond no9
is anyone picking up gingerbread
I am loving the tuberose

paneradfisk
paneradfisk

The first time I smelled this I thought it smelled like bubble gum, I don't know why, but later I couldn't feel it at all. It certainly is sweet but not in a cloying fruity way but in a cozy warm way. I can mainly smell peach blossom and vanilla. I don't really know what is so special about it but it has become one of my favourites, I really love it. The price is so high though, and the design of the bottle is excruciating and not at all what you would expect when you smell the perfume.

ScentedPianist
ScentedPianist

Chinatown... What a wonderful fragrance! Not what you would expect by the name, though.

Yes, Chinatown would expect us to be a strong and pungent spicy incense perfume by the name. Instead, what we get is a lovely sweet and spicy creamy white floral, with hints of wood in the backgroung. And how lovely it is!

In the first moments, I get a really, really sweet scent with slightly citric undertones, which disappear in some seconds. As long as it develops, the white flowers appear (being tuberose the most dominant), as well as a great comforting vanillic-spicy-woody base. It's floral, yet not excessively so. It's sweet, but very balanced. It's creamy and peachy, but not cloying. It's just a really well-made perfume, absolutely great for cold autumn or winter days, which would delight most of you.

It's very expensive, and the only Bond No 9 I've tried, but I think (at least in this particular perfume) that it would be a great buy for everyone who desires a deliciously balanced perfume. It won't bother anyone nor I think it's a very challenging and polarizing perfume, but it's complex, dense, interesting and exotic enough for us perfumistas to enjoy it. I'm very, very pleased with it and I do desire a bottle of this one. It's very long lasting and has a great sillage.

As a man, I think it's a unisex perfume; even though there are strong creamy floral notes, the spices and woods keep it really elegant and balanced. However, the rather feminine bottle can be off puttting for some, honestly.

Thank you Bettany for letting me try this one :)

Whit
Whit

I've had a sample of this for a while now and still haven't purchased it. Maybe it's because every time I sampled it, I had a sinus infection and thought "Nope, can't do it!". Well, I was going through some of my Bond samples and spritzed it on, and now I'm like "I gotta add it!". This is a very unique oriental-floral frag; usually I can't tolerate gardenia and tuberose at the same time, but the other notes keep them in check and balanced. It starts off fruity then smooths out to a slightly sweet oriental on my skin. It's warm, inviting and a little gourmand. I don't see it being a unisex scent at all, and some may find it overpowering so try it first. On first application, it's pretty strong but mellows quickly and while I get moderate sillage, it's fairly long lasting on me.

annamualla
annamualla

Unique sweety flower scent

kerry_rahma
kerry_rahma

i love love love this perfume.. love the sweetness, the cardamom, love the longevity which last all day long, love the bottle... i love it so much i don't care about the price tag and i end up wear it everyday, day and night...

ChypreAnn
ChypreAnn

Like others, I'm smelling a lot of similarity to Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant. Both are beautiful fragrances, but I prefer Chinatown. They both have that rich cardamom and vanilla, but Chinatown is a bit sweeter and doesn't seem to have the cumin note in Jungle. The tuberose and gardenia let the warm spices take center stage. Others may think this is a sexy perfume, but to me it's more snuggly and soporific, like comforting my children at night after they've had bad dreams (my having conveniently sprayed on some Chinatown as a bedtime perfume!).

pinky7
pinky7

When i first sniffed this it was just ok. But the more i used it the more i loved it! Now its one of my favorites. It's so beautiful!! I love the scent but I hate the bottle. It looks cheap and tacky. I wish it would look as expensive as it is.

Yohji
Yohji

Thanks to the one beautiful fragrantican lady I happened to try my first Bond fragrance which is happened to be - Chinatown.
And everything in it seemed to me familiar somehow
Main impression - SMOKY flower-blossom. Thats a very interesting combination, how flower can be smoky? It Is possible when you sit in your beautiful house, feet up - towards the fire-place where logs of real sandalwood!! are burning and there is also hint of those expensive tibetian incense in a shape of cone in the coner of the room (guaiac wood) Window is opened and wind brings you from the garden delicate scent of peach blossom with gardenia...So this mix is Chinatown.
Also it is close to me as the very essence of this fragrance has a lot to do with vintage Magnolia by Yves Rocher that my mother used to like a lot.
Longevity is great, its the first time when perfume literally holds me tight even after I washed my hair.

aschiffm
aschiffm

ahh whatt? kind of surprised how much i was not impressed by this. i love bond for their strong unique scents, but this just smelled like synthetic bubblegum hairspray to me. or a spice candy. it's also oddly kind of "manly". i don't mind manly scents (i'm a woman), but this type of sweet scent with such a typical cologne undertone was really confusing to me.

whattt??? no bond, no..

Caist
Caist

A sexy, femme-gunpowder, firey-seductive sweet floral

By far the sex-kitten of the Bond No. 9 collection.

This fragrance is very unique, hence how no one can find one to relate it to yet. I always make sure my clients try this one on because if this fragrance selects you, it's SO sexy. If I read the description of this fragrance alone I would imagine not liking it. But cardamom can work magic on fragrances and actually give them a spark, and adds a "dark" element to fragrances.

lafefe
lafefe

Chinatown is a special "dirty" perfume to me, it's unique in itself, not similar to anything else.
Did I say dirty? Yes, but in a good way, don't know why, but it's just a little bit sickening, just on the edge between exotic, spicy and sensual, it's got a special vulgar quality, it reminds me of body odor, it's loud yes and screams for attention, but still is extremely pleasant.
I wonder how they could have made it so well...
It's not easy for me to catch all the notes, I'm not so familiar with the real and natural smell of peach blossom (I wonder how many of us really are) but I can easily say it's a beautiful floral blend, warmed up by spicy cardamom and oriental woods.
Its longevity and sillage are excellent and worth the price. Definitely for special occasions and not for everyday use, not even for everybody.

unmonotiti
unmonotiti

This perfume makes me feel regal. I only wear it for extremely special occasions such as weddings and VIP soirées. It is very long lasting and has an amazing sillage. I feel like I'm submerged in a sea of white flowers. It feels thick, like when you walk around wearing it you know you make heads turn. An amazing scent.

truman
truman

A burst of spices is what welcomes you . And then, a soft scent of spices sets in. And I barely distinguish the smell of white flowers. But that has no relevance for me because the scent is warm and beautiful. I purchase the perfume without trying it first, just because I wanted to add it to my collection and the reviews were fantastic. I held my breath when I opened the box and now, I know it was not a mistake to get it. Beautiful and with good longevity.
What amazes me is that in the drydown I perceive the gardenia while the debut is made by cinnamon. It seems that everything is in reverse order. And it is wonderful.

dkny27
dkny27

Sweet flowers and an almost sour cherry that settles down into a smell reminiscent of an empty package of Razzles candy/gum. I am not completely familiar with the aroma of cardamom on its own, but I don't get a whole lot of spice once the scent sits on my skin. The flowers give this an expensive soap undertone, but again, it may be the chemistry on my skin.
It's warm, girly and as time goes on, it's becomes a smidge powdery.
Bond No.9 scents are very distinct, usually a like or dislike. This one doesn't ring any bells or whistles for me. Might be different in warmer weather.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

Because of you Chinatown, I now have an insatiable desire for cardamom! My cardamom craze started six months ago and hasn't stopped yet because of what I discovered in this. This was my first Bond and still stands as the best in my opinion. I've been swayed a few times by others that momentarily took over as top dog, like Success Is a Job In NY or New Haarlem, but Chinatown is the one I always go back to. While many argue Bond No 9 are overrated and overpriced, I don't agree. Atleast not entirely. As I swim deeper into niche water, the house of Bond becomes a smaller image in the distance and I can't help but feel I'm turning my back on the name that lead me there to begin with. In my mind, they are a "niche for beginners." That doesn't make them bad. I think they have a box of ideas that they stay within to appeal to their market and it works. But because of that, only one or two will stand the test of time for me. Chinatown is the one that will.

jlfears
jlfears

I love this. I smell peach and cardamon the most, with a little creamy gardenia in whiffs. This smells like incense and smarties candies. Love it.

freddinos
freddinos

Cheap looking bottle aside, Chinatown is a gorgeous scent!I love the soft 'incence' type of smell blended with sugary white florals. It is feminine, not loud yet ourstanding. 2 different people complimented me the first day I wore it, and where I live now people never comment on another's perfume. The name is amazing and emotional for me too, having lived for years in NYC Chinatown was among my favorite parts of the City. The perfume itself doesn't evoke the admitedly rotting fish and garbage combo you'd normally smell during nights out for Peking duck and fortune cookies, but the mystery and endless adventure possibilities of Chinatown are there for me in this perfume. The name and mental associations of Bond's Chinatown take me back to a beautiful time of my life, when life was full of potential and my nights were spent with the city that never sleeps...

gaz525
gaz525

I think I will start to give up on the bond no9 range,two bad experiences and one mediocre just dont justify the price to me.China town like Astor place smells like sour old lady flowers.highline was ok for a generic light scent but apart from that they're just a let down. :-( really thought this would be amazing from the notes too

Scout
Scout

I have tried this several times from a bon-bon and just can't quite commit to it. It's good, and probably one of the better constructed Bonds. The opening is lovely. Floral. Then the coconut creamy middle kicks in, and I'm reminded of the 80s and Georgio of Beverly Hills. Finally in the final hours, I'm left with pure Nag Champa incense. I used to be a club promoter and we'd burn loads of it from the local head shop. I, my hair, my clothes, my nostrils have the scent memorized, and this my friends, is Nag Champa. Perhaps if my mind didn't associate the smell with those days I would wear this. But I just can't quite commit the money to it....

lucifera
lucifera

smells like a sweetend up version of organza indecence, i like it!

meugie
meugie

Oh! That’s a wonderful scent. What a beautiful opening.
I don't understand the art of fragrance, but I recognize the good things.
The notes seem very well balanced.
Peach and orange blossoms plus white flowers, perfectly harmonised. After, developes into the gourmand side due to the warm embrace of vanilla, all supported by a light chypre/woody base, with touches of incense.
It has a slight and deep mentholated note, but it is noticeable and makes all the difference. I believe it is the cedar.
On the other hand, no sign of bergamot reported for my nose, but it doesn't lack any to my understanding of the fragrance.
It's a perfume with a beginning, middle and end. It’s very, very good in my skin, with moderate sillage e long lasting.
I bought a miniature, but I'm going to buy a bottle as soon as possible.
Love at first sniff.

kris919
kris919

Got this in a trade with tillywave . Chinatown is a very strong, very loud , sweet & spicy tuberose/gardenia scent with a peach blossom opening and a spicy woody drydown. This is not the type of fragrance I'm normally attracted to, but I tested it on paper a couple of years ago at Saks and thought it was nice...then forgot all about it. A year later, I looked it up and noticed that it shared similar notes with Gucci Rush which I love
(although they smell nothing alike). and Chinatown always gets called one of Bond's best so I wanted to revisit it. long lasting and lots of sillage. I've read people have longevity problems with it, but it's lasting very well on me shockingly enough.

NoireFox
NoireFox

Chinatown opens with a tart blast of peach, peony and tuberose. As it mellows on the skin the gardenia and woody notes take center stage. In it's final dramatic breath, the scent of patchouli weaves between the ever-present tuberose and a distinct spiciness which I assume is the cardamom. A scent that is both dramatic (tuberose and gardenia) and subtle (woods and patchouli) which has the uncanny ability to evoke the presence of Chinatown itself; fresh fruits, lacquered woods and flower shops.

raw umber
raw umber

Chinatown is tutti-frutti tuberose, incense, and amber. Though amber is not listed in the notes, I guess the vanilla/sandalwood+ incense translates to amber for me. Amber can be kind of ambiguous, just as incense can. It's a very abstract note.

Chinatown is loud and festive but homey at the same time. It is smooth, sweet and tangy with a synthetic earthiness that is reminiscent of the pink sticks of incense burned in Chinatown. There is a multi-layered chaos that never offends but does occasionally make me watch it to see whether it will veer out of control entirely...

Chinatown somehow manages to work despite its intensity of character. It has a fruitiness without resembling any particular type of fruit, a incense element without being smoky, a bright artificial amber without being cloying, so long as you don't over-apply.

Chinatown is a little rich for me, but I can't say there is nothing enticing about it. Great projection and longevity. Ideal for cold weather, a date or a celebration.

warho15
warho15

Snuffed out beeswax candles and peaches open this for me, and the heart is a melange of abstract white florals, but I love the transitions it makes as it eases into a more woody (patchouli/sandalwood) skin scent on me. I'd have to disagree with all of the "only for a woman!" warnings - sure, it's not your typical aquatic/grapefruit/pepper mess of most masculines, but I've gotten lots of compliments on it when people come in for hugs.

Definitely great for a night out, or even just for a sunny day trip - Chinatown is an all around mood elevator.

L'amoureux
L'amoureux

It's the cardamom makes this very alluring. It's a scent that really highlights your body's own natural, animalistic scents. It's not like a musk, it's like an unconventional take on showcasing your natural scent if you will minus the musk. I really likr this one.

Germany
Germany

Very feminine, sweet heady mildly spicy vanilla tuberose , totally love it. I find it very creamy and heavy , its a perfume in its own I can't compare it to another. Very unique white sweet/spicy floral with a vanilla base. Lasts for a long time , high quality , great perfume!!!
,,,well actually it does compare to lexington ave, Lexington ave is more masculine though with more spice.

LexiDeRock
LexiDeRock

This is, hands down, no question my favorite perfume..probably ever. I first smelled it maybe 6 years ago after reading about the scent and being curious. I got a sample from saks in San Fran and fell hard in love.
When first applied it has something almost sharp to it, a quick shock of sharp fruit that makes the back of my teeth hurt a little like when you eat something too sugary. But that lasts only seconds then it softens and gets warmer spicier, something about it and the way it smells on my skin is just euphoric.
I only wish it would last longer (that said it lasts pretty well, I just wish it would never wear off)
Even in summer I can wear it which I find hard with some of the warmer spicier scents.
The longer it wears the more I love it.
Two thumbs up, highly recommend

Kiera79
Kiera79

This is all cardamom on me. Too much cardamom! It actually gave me an instant allergy attack. I do like it, but I couldn't ever wear it myself. Besides the sneezing it's a little too masculine for me.

jovejove
jovejove

Great scent. Was insisted on trying the solid perfume and it smells so good on me! Love the soft sweet peach tone.

prettyswag
prettyswag

this is nice scent...very exotic spicy femme scent..love!

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I tried it several times and while I admit it is a very creative and well constructed scent, it is not for me.

It's one of those scents you wanna smell on someone else.

Let's say if I was straight and loved Asian girls, then yes that perfume would be great!

I respect it though as a truly idiosyncratic modern classic (if that exists)?

Xie Xie!

yacoco
yacoco

It's have black orchids type of category
love the drydwon nice fragrance but not my type

urbanexotic
urbanexotic

I used to go to hippie-type campout festivals all the time and this scent really takes me back there. I don't get any fruity notes from it at all. For me Chinatown starts off with a smooth blend of cooking herbs and spices like cardamom and cinnamon and something a touch greener, like sweetgrass or sage, with a bit of smoke and incense in the background. The herbs/spices eventually give way to a gently sweet smoky incense smell, like nag champa. Over time, the incense steps back and lets the smoke come to the forefront, creating a campfire scent with a lingering sweet incense smell in the background. If I close my eyes I'm dancing around a fire under the stars to the beat of drums.

pookerella
pookerella

Peach! Peach, peach peach! This is so delicious and juicy, I just want to bite my arm! What a happy fragrance. Always puts me in a good mood. Very oriental, I'm right there on Mott Street! I think adding lichi (one of my favorite notes) to this would've made this absolutely perfect. Oh well ...

I definitely agree with Aysu, it is very feminine, but I would NEVER ever tell a man he couldn't wear something feminine because I like to wear masculine scents! :) That being said, IMO it is a stretch to call this a unisex fragrance.

kayley123
kayley123

I get cinnamon from this the whole way through, from hours 1-7 at least (though it has faded by hour 6 to where I can only smell it if I put my nose an inch from my arm). Since it's still definitely there, I'm giving it a long-lasting for longevity.

LittleDragonette
LittleDragonette

This fragrance delivers all the notes as advertised; although it does come across a little sweeter than one might expect. The cardamom is gorgeous. The vanilla is as it is when it has been cooked slowly on the stove with liqueur and cream--warm and rich. I was hoping that this amazingly tempting list of notes would be enough to subdue the ever-looming threat of tuberose...but alas, it remained front and center for me. I might just be overly sensitive to it...but for me this would be perfect if it would kindly excuse itself from the table. This would be a great choice for a lover of that particular note; because it is a lovely fragrance. Just not for me.

Minnija
Minnija

this is about something "oldish" in this scent...and the wierdest thing is that, that I like it! :) almost love it! it is very warm, cozy and sweet scent. Absolutely opposite what I was waiting, because I taught that it will be more lighter and maybe flowery? Yes, it is flowery, bet it has very strong note of vanilla and spices. Defenetly like it! but bottle is wrong :D because bottle give wrong idea and conception of the perfume this time.

stephanieklein
stephanieklein

I wanted to like this, but the tuberose kills me. It just smells like an Aunt.

ForrealMe2
ForrealMe2

WOW! What a special floriental candy gourmand and the sweetness is just right..it's a daytime,casual scent,business fragrance..day out in the park...initially you smell the sweet white flowers,cardamom and spicy oriental scent but then it changes to a more floral sweet candy powdered scent..kinda has that spicy pez candy or dip stick slightly sour candy powdered vibe that is sweetness with a punch cause it reminds me of a zesty candy citrus feel almost, but the florals make it smell so realistic and wonderful as well and creamy at the same time..its well blended together..when i smell this i think of the femininity, flirtiness, fun..this mixture is different i believe because of the peach blossom because i have never smelt that flower before mixed with the gardenia and tuberose which makes it smell like candied smooth roses mixed with cream..oh this is so special...i really love the Bond No.9 Niche perfume house...Laurice really knows how to blend perfumes..and if you really love roses this is such a wonderful sweet smell with the gardenia's mixed together gives it that rose feel and smell even though its not listed...it smells like a field of beautiful real life flower's...the orange blossom's really stand out here too..i use to smell that flower in bushes when i lived in Florida and it's one of the flowers i miss smelling i am so happy i can capture that again with this fragrance...i am so happy with this fragrance and new haarlem now and i hope i love new york for her is even extra special...love this house! love french and italian perfumers!

i can see why katie puckrick made a comparison that if you like miss dior cherie 2005 to move up to this perfume because this too has a sweet interesting quality that is quite different i believe you would like this if you like miss dior cherie 2005..it doesn't have that strawberry champagne factor like MDC but it has its uniqueness like MDC

Bond no.9 Chinatown
Medium-heavy fragrance (not fresh or clean)
Exotic
Coconut-y smells (creamy)
Moderate sweetness
It's driving me to the chinatown streets when the sky is cloudy..
There are people cooking (steaming) lots of food.. With lots of spices..
Spices aroma is in the air.. High humidity & warm temperature..
The people there are nice.. Not talkative.. But kind & warm at heart..
There's something unique & alluring about this misterious place.. But been in all around-half day-steamy environment make me sweat & sticky.. i'm really longing for fresher air..
Soo a half day journey to Bond's Chinatown is a little too much for me.. & maybe i'll think over & over again to re-visit it (been there 2 times)..
Love & respect the unique-ness aroma.. Love the bottle design soo much.. but i think it's a little bit too much for me to handle... T.T

paiged98@gmail.com

Got my full bottle today. Remarkable. I have to say, this is just a special, delicious, perfect perfume for my taste. Worth it! Cannot say enough about this China gem.

paiged98@gmail.com

I have been thinking about getting this one for two years. I finally got my sample size. I did not want to supersize it until I sniffed it. I think it is so different. At first spray you get straight Moschino, for the first 15 minutes, then I get the one reference as mentioned below to Kenzo Jungle L'elephant. Then finally it becomes the individual perfume it was meant to be. The base is a mix of incense, spice, vanilla with a twist of floral. It really has that three -way evolution, distinct, and planned out like a true design architect who if you asked if he intended for his creation to evolve that way would say yes, you get me! Well, I do get it, this has a story line and your nose follows it the end. I didn't expect greatness from this bottle, with too many negative, cheap shot, drugstore scent remarks. To my great surprise this one captures my attention and gives me a challenge for words and precise descriptions because it is not run of the mill. For the true collectors, lovers and seasoned scent veterans who have smelled and worn hundreds of perfumes, I am speaking to you. This is talent and beauty in a bottle. Even if you don't love it because it is not your scent preference you will most certainly understand and appreciate her for the masterpiece she is. Chinatown is my kind of town.

antfarm
antfarm

At first this is sweet and creamy with sultry spicy top notes. But as time passed and the fragrance dried down, it began to smell like a glazed donut sprayed with Cinnabar perfume, and it made me ill. I was kind of intrigued by how grossed out it made me, and I keep wanting to go back to it to see if it disgusts me again. I think I might be turning into a Chinatown masochist.

calyx93
calyx93

Bond No. 9 has always used synthetics - not that it's ever been a problem :)

Nicole<3
Nicole<3

its lush oriental hippy incense chic magic crack :P with real stuff included

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

The first time I tried this, I quite liked it; it seemed to be a sweet, warm incense fragrance. The second time, however, it started with a blast of sweet marashino cherry, and veered into an overwhelming sweet fruitiness. The final dry down was better, but still retained more sweet tones than I enjoy. (2)

Hoxx
Hoxx

Everything, from the bottle design - which is wonderful - to the notes and the vibe the perfume gives, says this is quite a feminine scent, yet I love it on myself.

There is an initial wave of bitter citrus and spice but it's almost impossible to catch - very soon after it the perfume shows its real character.

The notes I get from this are easy to detect. It's a combination of sweetish vanilla and cardamom that, mixed with the white flowers - gardenia, tuberose and peach blossom - lasts quite a bit, before settling in a patchouli drydown. I'd say that peach blossom with some added sweetness can resemble the peach itself, so that's where the fruity feeling can come from, the same fruity feeling I got at first.

With the decent sillage and more than decent longevity, this is a quality product. Overall, I love this one, though it's a bit pricey.

9.25/10

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Chinatown is a perfume that defies conventional note descriptions and the usual critical parlance. Yes there's bergamot, yes there's cardamom and stewed fruits and spices and creamy floral notes against a typically modern and "sheer" sandalwood base. But whatever. Chinatown doesn't really smell like any of these things thrown together. Its movement illuminates a more abstract melange of synthetic essences that have been presented as perfume. Sadly I'm a perfume reviewer and have little choice but to resort to the usual review parlance here, but I'll try to get this across as succinctly as I can. My feelings about Chinatown are strange and span a few different zones, and I can get into more detail on my blog, but here I'm forced to summarize a bit.

The opening smells at once citrusy and waxy, and altogether rich, a cheap air-freshener citrus note that nevertheless is tidied-up and dressed in its Sunday best, and therefore feels classy and rather compelling. But my mind flits uncomfortably between associations with luxe-niche perfumery and Pledge furniture polish. I want to be transported to the Saks counter smelling this, but that ugly yellow aerosol can keeps zipping through my imagination instead. Hmmm.

This perfume does become a little sweeter and woodier as it dries down to its base, but by that point I find the composition to be the supreme cultivation, via vastly improved ingredient quality and a talented nose, of Vanilla Fields by Coty, which happens to be a lovely fragrance. Vanilla Fields is much simpler, brighter, and not nearly as rich as Chinatown, but to me they seriously share a similar vibe. The connection point between the two is the suntan lotion feeling I get from both fragrances, and the peach notes - more a suggestion in Chinatown, as in VF. Combine creamy floral notes with the suggestion of peach and there's not a whole lot of variance that can be achieved, so the more I smell these two, the less surprised I am to find they're somewhat similar. I don't want to overstate this, however, as they both ultimately smell different. VF definitely has a fuzzier texture, a "beachier" feel, while Chinatown relies on a chypre structure in all of its movements.

The rosiness of guaiac wood and pungent hit of patchouli in the Bond definitely carry it over drugstore terrain, giving it a valuable and precarious inner tension between sweet and earthy polarities. Chinatown's components are not as high quality as I expected (there are no "my god, that's exactly like (blank)!" moments), which is never an issue with Creed for instance, nor are there any "Eureka!" moments in the evolution of Chinatown on my skin, where I wonder if I've ever smelled anything so distinctly original and wonderful in the same place. Its familiarity, the slightly chemical rasp of its core floral arrangement, and the niggling feeling that Bond's compositions could scent Yankee Candles without fanfare (I forgave them this once in my prior Bond review, but twice is asking too much), - it all truly makes me wonder if I'm just not getting the joke with this brand, or if the joke's on me, or both. In any event, nice fragrance, but I think I need to keep trying with Bond, because as far as their "masterpiece" is concerned, I'm underwhelmed (still think Lexington is lovely tho).

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I was looking forward to this fragrance although previous tries with other Bond No. 9s did nothing much to enamour me to the brand unfortunately. With a name "Chinatown" it sounded promising. However, what I got was a very strong, upfront, sweet, gourmand vanilla during the first half hour, which on me smelt very synthetic. After the vanilla calmed down, I could smell the floral notes coming through softly but unfortunately for me the synthetic part never disappeared completely. Sillage and longevity are good, it lasted about 6 to 8 hours on me. Not for me because of the artificial vibe. Otherwise it's an ok "gourmand floriental" if there's such a terminology.

rzetzm
rzetzm

I love this fragrance! Everything about it, from the beauty of the bottle to the way Chinatown smells, it takes me for an olfactory ride that I enjoy over and over again.

Clearly what we have here is marketed towards women. And with good reason, the way this stuff smells is very feminine. It's not your typical 'unisex' fragrance abundant with androgynous scents, no - this one straight up smells more like something that belongs on a female but dares a man to wear it.

It is challenging for a man to wear. The peach blossom scent is flowery and sweet, and the tuberose and gardenia deliver a Mike Tyson TKO to your nose. Whether or not you appreciate that knock to your noggin is a question of preference. Before you can decide too quickly, woodsiness and spices come through to clarify your decision. The spices that I smell are a very strong cardamom (which I LOVE) and an incense-y
sort of vanilla that isn't too similar to vanillas I'm familiar with in scents. This one isn't a plastic smelling vanilla that leaves you with a Yankee candle waxy cheap flavor wafting in your nose.

So Chinatown, all in all, would be a great scent for potentially anyone other than really young men I'd say... women of all ages might enjoy this, though I would say the spice and woodiness in this would be a deciding factor... and on the other end of the equation, for us men, we'd be more willing to embrace the woods and the spice; the powerful floral notes would mean either a swift yea or nae. So don't blind buy, try it first, and try it on your skin, because it fades and smells differently on a piece of paper as most scents do.

icingsugar

Also as a sidenote to anyone with Dzing! Try layering these, it smells amazingly exotic!

KasKas
KasKas

I consider Chinatown a spicy gourmand perfume. The spices tone down the sweetness in it and round the perfume really well.

Although not listed on the notes, I can definitely smell some cinnamon in it.

It's an oddly addictive smell. I'm definitely hooked on this fume. LOVE!!!

Orchidee Nocturne
Orchidee Nocturne

One of my faves by Bond, and most certainly one of their bests! Such a beautiful vanilla-based fragrance. I highly recommend it.

nastyamason
nastyamason

Quite pleasant scent but for me not worthy a full bottle. Glad I was able to sample this first. I like the fragrance but not enough to pay as much as it costs. And I enjoy Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant more than Chinatown.

Update 3 weeks later: Wore it again today, and oh, my goodness! I wanted full bottle asap. I just could not wait and ordered it right now. Chinatown was not a love from the first sniff for me but, nevertheless, it is LOVE!

icingsugar

An amazingly complex scent which touches on the gourmaund but never quite ends up completely edible because of the well balanced floral notes. I get the image of exotic market stalls, jars of spiced fruits, colourful fabrics, incense and rich oils when I smell this. I can imagine an Egyptian princess smelling like this as she prepares for bed. This is a really gorgeous fragrance and I only wish I was rich enough to afford a full bottle :(

holychristy
holychristy

This is a warm, powdery (in a good way), inviting scent. Not overly oriental, but reminds me of certain essential oils that I can't place at the moment. I wouldn't mind having this just to spritz it on before going to sleep

electric33
electric33

Bond No. 9 Chinatown, the first few minutes to me is a
peachy-orange fragrance. It slowly faded into a  woodsy, very very slight gardenia  & tuberose incense kind of smell.
Definitely a pleasant woodsy
incense aroma and I can't stop smelling my wrist, I do like this
fragrance.
The bottle is beautiful.
Update, almost a year has passed and I am wearing Chinatown this afternoon. I'm alone and I love the feeling I have wearing it. The different scents I notice are the peach blossom, incense and sandalwood. This is a warm and kind of mystical mixture for me.
I'm going to start wearing Chinatown more frequently. Does perfume age in the bottle like wine? I've had my bottle almost 3 1/2 years and there is a pleasant, warm fresh aroma that was not as present before.
Anyway, I've grown or it's grown and I love the way it smells.

jadejoann4
jadejoann4

This is so delicious! It's spicy and sweet. BUT not worth the $$ since the longevity is terrible mate 1 hour?

Deppaholic

Well after all the glowing reviews I HAD to try this. And like anything I have ever done, I go for the biggest bottle I can find. I did get a bargain though, thank goodness it is authentic. It's so risky buying on Ebay, but if you stay with individual sellers who are selling their own fragrances, goods, like me, then you're pretty safe. At first spray I LOVE THIS! So gourmand and fruity. However like another reviewer said, that disappears rather quickly, about 5 minutes for me. I can see how some would like this, but I would NOT describe this as gourmand at all. The dry down is all spice. A good winter fragrance if it agrees with your body chemistry. Whilst I don't hate it and it did not give me a headache, and I can't really feel a "bond" (ha) to it, I'm leery to try any of their other scents. This will be going back up to auction very soon. I will give a try again, but I'm sensing that the patch in here is just morphing me into one big spice girl. Like I rolled around in bitter spices :( Doesn't work for me. Very expensive. I'll have to say that Guerlain Elixirs far exceed in this department i.e. Asian Brulant and Coquin. Everybody's chemistry is different, so try before you buy. Always, I should heed my own advice. But even in Philly I couldn't find this anywhere to try :(

EDIT: Okay, after about 3 times trying this, it is growing on me. But more importantly, my daughter found her new fragrance. Thank goodness, I was getting sick of smelling Pink Sugar! She just loves this, and I quite like it now myself. It's not my favorite Bond, and I did find New Haarlem and ADORE that one, along with So New York. Not all Bond works on me, some are downright metallic on me. But Chinatown is not as bad as I first thought, but not my favorite of the line. It is spicy on me, but good for winter! Have bought a few more bottles for Christmas gifts. Will always try to keep this one in my collection. 1/2013

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Ohh, this is beautiful! I haven't felt this seduced by a perfume in quite a while. For the longest time I refused to even try it, because of the name. Chinatown? Well, at least in Toronto Chinatown is a fairly stinky and dirty part of town. No interest for me whatsoever to go there, or assimilate the smells. So because of this subconscious association, I just didn't want to try it.
Then someone sent me a sample in a swap... Ahh, I fell in love instantly with it. Luckily I was able to get a partial bottle through a swap.
On me the top notes are the best. I smell a little bergamote, but not much. What I smell is a sweet frankinsense of the noblest kind! simply amazing, unique, seductive and spiritual in the same time. These stunning phase though doesn't last too long on me, I wish it did. Middle notes arrive floral and very powdery with a little spice, beautiful, feminine, elegant. And finally the base it's woody clean on me.
Silage and longevity are a tad under average on my skin. Actually according to reviews, I was expecting this to be stronger.
Overall, I thank deeply to beaker90 for swapping with me. I am enjoying my new treasure to the fullest. It's addictive, charming, sexy and gorgeous!!!!!!

annasmells
annasmells

It's a heavy floral/patchouli scent that dries nicely and tends to become more floral over time. Not a perfume that fades away- two sprays is a commitment. Leans more toward feminine rather than unisex.

shiverwithantici
shiverwithantici

I would classify this fragrance as a floriental gourmand. I get a hit of bergamot in the opening, then a thick, powdery, heady, combination of peach spice cake, candle wax, woods, and tuberose. It kind of reminds me of a quirked up, yet more sophisticated Flowerbomb. As beautifully complex and fulfilling as this fragrance is, I don't yet love it, although it is growing on me. It's not the florals that bother me, but the florals on top of all that heaviness that is borderline nauseating. I prefer this fragrance from the top to the heart. The drydown is a bit too musty for my liking. Interestingly, I find that the more I wear it, the more I crave its aromatic, confectionary quality. It gets decent marks for sillage and longevity. Unlike many Bond No. 9 fragrances, I can understand why someone would spend over $200 on a large bottle of this. It's just not for me, personally.

A side note: I know to some this may be perfume blasphemy, but Chinatown actually smells really good layered with The Scent of Peace ;)

@Manevitt: It's interesting that you're reminded of Fracas, because Luca Turin also made that comparison. I can't personally attest to that since I have never smelled Fracas, but I'm curious now.

jellybeantree
jellybeantree

If anyone could swap me a sample , I would really appreciate it! I am dying to try this!

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Far Away is so far away from Chinatown.
Can not understand how come people name this to be Far Away kind. Maby its skin chemistry. At my skin Chinatown is far more good, not smelling candy or artificial. I have had Far Away and believe these are not the same. In here in Chinatown You can smell good quality, its more deep and much more woody. I love this one, far away I did gave to my 11 year old godchild. This is something my husband loves too, he loves to smell it on me, but thinks to be too feminine to used by him-Self.

Robynlovesperfume

This does not smell similar to Far Away... at all. I, too, was wondering how it racked up so many votes. The best I could come up with is that it may very well be just one person with a whole bunch of profiles who voted it like that, because they are just not similar at all. The only thing they have in common are these 3 notes: Gardenia, Sandalwood, & Vanilla. But, these are very common notes... So many other perfumes also have these notes in them.

caseyu
caseyu

i wish i could like this! this certainly smells like CHINATOWN...and if (seriously) "FAR AWAY" smells this similar, why, why, why would we spend $200 on Chinatown? sad! LOL! lasting power was slose to nothing on this one for me...that will never dissuade me from Bond, however, they make some of the best frags in the world...

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Wow. the last review is a little angry and not very constructive at all.

I own this perfume and I think it smells very nice and have recommended it to others. Why all the anger? fragrance is personal. If this is the worse perfume you've ever smelled in your entire life, you should give all the teen idol fragrances a try and see how fast Chinatown is going up your list. There are much worse fragrances than Chinatown.

Spido
Spido

@Manevitt: I ordered my samples from the Posh Peasant. Expensive freight, though.

clrieger
clrieger

Chinatown is one Bond No. 9 fragrance that, at first, did not strike a positive note for me. I like florals, but tend to favor more classic fresher and softer chypres. But recently I was given a Chinatown sample by a Bond sales associate (along with Bleecker Street) and WOW! Like the previous reviewer, I fell in love after trying it on. For me, the scent on my skin is at first fresh and crisp and then it warms up for a spicy-powdery finish that lasts the day. On me, a more modern version of L'Air du Temps (which I love). Expensive, like all Bond fragrances, but will last a long time. I'll save my Nordstrom notes to buy my first bottle.

P.S.: I bought my bottle and I am very happy. So unique and wonderful for the fall and winter. Will sneak in a few days this summer as well.

Cams
Cams

This fragrance is absolutely gorgeous with the most incredibly long lasting power. Yes, Bond no 9 is an expensive brand, but give this one a shot - its a must-have. Wow.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

I crave this smell!

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

not much to add to the reviews already here, opens spicy, hot like Basier du Duagon, but keeps its heat, strong vanilla, cedar. basically a strong woodsy gourmand, high quality. along the lines of l de Lolita, and the aforementioned Cartier, but Chinatown stays spicy. and "hot" feeling, until the drydown where a standard vanilla, cedar, sandalwood, and something green & nice stays. its lovely, but not a must have.

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

The opening (peaches and spice) reminds me of Mitsouko, which I love.

I had Chinatown on my 'for test list' for years, and never found the opportunity to test it. My favourite department store, (the only Bond No.9 stockist in Australia), pulled the line back in 2010 with no prior warning, leaving me at a loss of where to find genuine samples. Finally I have a sample of Chinatown in the palm of my hand, and it gives me great pleasure to write my thoughts down in words.

I can certainly see why Chinatown is so popular, and I too consider it one of Bond No.9's better scents. It could be classed as either a gourmand or a sweet, woody floral.

Chinatown opens with a delicious licorice accord, much like a paper bag filled with soft, fresh licorice sticks. A few seconds later the scent settles into a smooth, sugary peach blossom and spicy cardamom blend. It had a very distinctive gourmand feel at first, one that I could thankfully tolerate as the sweetness never became too cloying on the skin.

The heart introduces a fascinating white floral twist. Gardenia and tuberose add a beautiful and somewhat seductive buttery-ness, which I find both complex and suitable. The floral accords in turn make the composition appear less foody, essentially shaking off the last of its gourmand qualities.

Chinatown becomes richer and smoother in terms of composition the more it develops. By the drydown, the woods, vanilla and patchouli are in full swing. I love patchouli, and in Chinatown it smells just about perfect when mixed in with the buttery white florals and sugary vanilla. All in all, this is a truly sensual and captivating olfactory experience.

I think it's essential that I stress my concern over Chinatown being labelled unisex. I'm one of the most open-minded people when it comes to gender and perfume, but in all honesty I think many men would shy away from something so sweet, feminine, and overtly pink. I really can't picture a man wearing this, sorry.

I am suitably impressed with Chinatown, but once again the price poses a slight concern. Why does Bond No.9 have to be so darn expensive? I just cannot bring myself to part with my hard earned cash for the chance to own one pretty bottle of Chinatown.

Akahina
Akahina

I really, really wanted to like this given the reviews, but there is a powdery quality that I can't get past. Quite flowery and sweet on my skin, but I am not a fan of powdery smells because powder always reminds me of some old lady... The woody notes are noticable but buried deep beneth the powder and white floral qualities. This is a beautiful scent though and I would give it a high rating but it falls well into the feminine side. I am not afraid to wear feminine scents as a man and I have and rock many! Sadly this one is not for me at all. I will not say I dislike this fragrance, it's just not for me.

Longevity is great as with most Bonds and the composition is well done. Try this one and see how it works for you. Not every scent is made for everyone.

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

This is amazing!!! I can really smell the cardamom and it's got a great "spice" note but yet the florals are lovely and the patchouli is nice so it doesn't overwhelm you like a spice rack or something. Overall, I find this scent complex, and it's really hard to pick out certain notes, except the cardamom, which really pops. This could be a unisex scent, but on me it's nice and spicy/feminine. I think I am going to layer it with Success is a job in NY. I think that would be a DIVINE combo. Plus, I have to say this is THE cutest bottle design of all the perfumes. Some of the bottles are so ugly but I am happy to show this off on my vanity! One thing I have to add is that unfortunately, as with other Bond No. 9 frags, there is not much sillage and the scent only lasts a few hours. I could seriously spray myself with like 5 sprays and not be overwhelmed, which is VERY odd for me.

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

Interesting! This is what I expected Bond No 9 Washington Sq to be! :)
Warm, sensual, seductive, bohemian... I only dabbed a tiny bit of Chinatown on my skin, wondering if it would become overwhelming when sprayed. Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised and like it very much!! :))

EDIT: As the weather cooled down, I've turned into a Chinatown-Zombi!! Can't live without it, I am obsessed, HAVE TO get my fix 5 times a day, constantly sniff my arms and scarves, find myself recommending it to strangers. :) TRY IT if you haven't yet! It's perfect for fall and winter!!

Killercolours
Killercolours

Wow.. I'm surprised by how bad this one is on me! I really wanted to like it. I could write a novel about my experience, but I'm keeping from it this time.

Rotting peach and meaty tuberose. That's it. No lovely patchouli, no lovely gardenia, no lovely vanilla. Just stale, meaty and rotting. It also stays on my skin like a champ, I've worn it for 8 hours now and it just started floating away a bit.

I guess I was unlucky! I wish I could give the longevity to some of you lovers instead! Haha.

missymary
missymary

Kosmoskukka I am also one who has watched Chinatown from afar and I have not yet sampled, so I wish if someone could tell me if I would like it .

I love big big white florals and I am a fan of Fracas, Poeme, Carnal Flower, Gardenia Passion, Poison, Alien. So would Chinatown be another beautiful fave, or just another nice innocuous nothing special baby like Kim Kardashian,Pure Poison etc.? Or would it be a totally way-out OTT weirdo like Bal a Versailles?

Oh alluring and scary Chinatown, what are you?????

Baldric
Baldric

On my skin the cardamom pulls so strongly that it almost has a leather like quality. I love it immensely but it disappears within 2 hours and I have to smash my wrist into my nose to get the slightest whiff of fragrance. On clothing the scent is more balanced, I can smell sweet and spice and flowers for a good 10 hours. I don't get the comments about not work appropriate and being so strong. The "offensive" notes are very mellow on clothing and on skin the fragrance would dissipate by the time I got from my house to work. I could see myself (well my shirt at least) wearing this anytime, anywhere and in any weather.

atv315
atv315

I ADORE this scent. It started off with me liking it, and turned into me loving it for hours. It starts off more oriental and, for better or worse, depending on what notes of this fragrance you like better, the drydown occurs fairly quickly and the drydown is quite linear.

Although I love intense/power scents, I really prefer fragrances that work all year-round. This is probably too heavy for summer. I was looking for a warm, cozy, sensual scent that makes someone want to snuggle with you. And this is definitely it. The sillage is great although I put it on and then felt a bit uncomfortable on the subway on my way to work, as if I were subjecting everyone to it (but I didn't get stares or comments so it might have just been me!). What is odd on me is that the longevity is quite poor on my neck but great on my wrist...every time. I have never noticed that with another scent so maybe it is how one of the notes reacts to the chemistry of that part of my body...? But the scent is just delicious. I wish that it had better lasting power (on all parts of my body) but I got a million little samples from the store so I just carry those around with me. The same thing happens as with Lanvin Eclat d'Arpege which has poor longevity which is that the two scents at least make me ridiculously happy to smell them again if I need to reapply.

daniela3
daniela3

Although I'm not a big fan of this brand, I like Chinatown. Despite the name, having different memories relating to the Big Apple and to the real chinatown - also probably because my only visit there happened in winter -I find interesting the combination: very different from any other fragrance we can find on the market. I've been wearing this frag for a week in order to have an opinion and seeing that I've got another 100 ml at disposal, I'll be served for a while. This is not a perfume you can wear everyday not because it's particularly strong (indeed I don't find it particularly overwhelming, I've got a lot of more 'yelling' frags!) or the sillage can be nasty or.... probably it's too joyful and I'm not always in that mood.
I could also find difficult in classifying C.t.: this is not a complete gourmand or chypre or fruity or flowery but a little bit of all those aspects together and I believe that this is the secret of its success (together with this lack of certitude that adds a note of charm and mystery to it) and that's why also it is regarded as one of the best in the Bond family. I appreciate its sweetness not banal or childish/gourmand at all, especially in the beginning; though the presence of resins - coming later - and wood, it doesn't lose its tenderness. In spite of what friends and reviewers have said regarding it's persistence, I'm not of their same opinion but probably it's my alchemy to be freak!

greek_goddes
greek_goddes

Youthful, fruity (cherry), sweet (candy), attractive, soft and yummy!! The perfect spring perfume!

I think everything has been said for this perfume. Very interesting and noticable scent! Lovely!

fpih
fpih

This is a very spicy and heady floral/fluity perfume that probably appeals more to spicy and oriental rather than white floral lovers. Though I'm not a floral lover myself and usually dislike fruity smells, the spiciness and complexity of Chinatown is enough to make me love this. The cardamom note is huge, so people who don't like it should better leave this fragrance alone. The tuberose is heavy and sweet, but so spicy that I don't get the indolic feel that usually accompanies it.

There is one problem however with Chinatown, or rather two:

The first is that like others have mentioned, the lasting power is not good. And since it's such a heavy fragrance when you first put it on, overapplying is definitely not recommended.

The other is that there is a skunkiness to it that though I might enjoy, makes me consious that others will regard it as if I've spent all night dancing in a nightclub or indulging in other sweaty activities. This is not a perfume I'd wear on a first date (unless I wanted to get laid) and certainly not in an important business meeting. Chinatown is sexy in a very dirty way and I simply don't have the personality to carry it on with confidence, so I'm glad I own just a decant that I can wear for my own pleasure at home.

Robynlovesperfume

Goodness, I love this scent. In my last review, I complained that peach is overly used these days(because it is), but there are exceptions to the rules, and this is one of them.

Chinatown opens up with peach blossom, florals(esp, peony flower, mmm mmm!), and spices. Unlike other peach perfumes, this is added with very complimenting notes, and using peach blossom rather than the peach fruit, this mixes beautifully. Peach blossom, peony, and tuberose are very prevalent, with cardamom giving it the perfect amount of kick, while sandalwood is adding a beautiful softness to it. This goes on strong, and stays on strong.

I have a 100ml bottle and have a feeling I will end up re-purchasing a backup bottle in the near future. Strong, sophisticated, excellent staying power, Chinatown is what perfumes are made of!

HilaryAppleFace
HilaryAppleFace

I absolutely adore this fragrance. I'm normally not one to go bananas over a fruity floral (I like my gourmands and orientals) but this is exquisite. It's a little peachy with a beautiful tuberose. Once it settles on my skin, it has a distinct jasmine-incense smell. It's very strong, so spray lightly, and it's quite expensive, as are all Bond No. 9 fragrances. I would say this fragrance would be nice in night clubs, since it seems it could counteract with the smell of alcohol and sweat.

plasmacundite
plasmacundite

This one is not for me- it has too much peach on it...I'd be happy to exchange my bottle for another Bond 9 fragance more floral and powdery like West Side, Madison Soirée, PARK AVENUE, Harrods Rose, Eau de Noho ...Let me know!

Bab
Bab

The initial whiff was drugstore counter perfume/men's cologne. Then comes a strong powder and spice /sandalwood/cardamon scent. Very masculine to me.
The middle settles into something sweet, floral, fruity and creamy which is quite nice and finally....a sweet woody ending with still the powder coming through. Not worth the giant dollars and I don't get how this is the best of 2011 but it's a nice scent if you can get past the initial whiff.

xstitchalanna
xstitchalanna

This one is a very lovely floral perfume. It starts out with cherry blossom of course and some florals and then in the middle I can smell something earthy and herbal. I think it is the patchouli. I put my usual 2 sprays on but with this perfume 2 sprays ends up being really weak. It really didn't last more then a couple of hours before becoming faint even when putting my wrist to my nose. It smells really nice though so it is worth it, it's just when something is this expensive, it should't take tons for it to be strong enough to smell. Thats my only problem with it. Overall it is a great scent. I would lean to it being more feminine then masculine. It is very floral. It is one of those you can wear all year round, day or night so there is another plus for this lovely perfume.

karaaslang
karaaslang

sugar & spice and everythings nice....well umm, NOT with this one. it is appalling. I dislike this one sooo bad. When I sniff, it makes my stomach bad. I feel nauseated, I have no clue why I dislike this one this much but it works terribly with my chemistry
not right for me, dont even buy it before you actually try this on your skin!!!

KFried
KFried

For me, Chinatown is all tuberose and gardenia. It's a bombshell similar to Fracas or Carnal Flower, but just a bit more subtle and without the musk.

For daytime, I've been mixing it with Brooklyn to tone down the flowers with juniper and cedar and I like the androgonous balance this strikes. I would wear Chinatown by itself for a night out however; it's very pretty.

Scarlette
Scarlette

I smell peaches, honey, cherry blossom, and patchouli, blended to perfection. At first I was scared, as it smelled strongly of pepper. But that quickly went away, and we are left with a nearly edible tuberose-smoked peach.

This is a very good gourmandy-chypre.

UD: this perfume has a note, almost like unclean musk, that shows up after a bit, and I do not enjoy it

jtd
jtd

I cringe at paying over $100 for a perfume, although I do spend it (Lutens, Tauer, Heeley, Parfumerie Generale) when it’s something I love. There are so many amazing, inexpensive fragrances (Y, Cabaret, Grey Flannel, Cuir de Lancome, Yatagan, Sikkim, Tocade, Vetiver, 3me Homme, all of Estee Lauder lines come to mind) as well as the one ounce wonders of the de Nicolai line, and good sized samples (Amouage) that it there seems no need to pay too much for high quality. But for Chinatown I splurged. The instant I sampled it, I knew I wanted it.

I see Chinatown as a floral, fruity chypre. It could easily fall into other categories (gourmand, fruity-floral, floriental) but I see this all-things-to-all-noses bit as a tribute to the creative wealth of the chypre genre. The opening of Chinatown gives it all to you. Flower (indoles from orange blossom,) fruit (dried plum,) bitterness (oakmoss) resin (incense.) In the heartnotes, the florals peel away as the dried fruit becomes dominant. The fruit holds on even as the moss and incense eventually become the key notes. A very simple, tidy progression.

Chinatown, when compared to other dark fruity chypres (Mitsouko, Femme, Jubilation 25, even Y---all of which I love) reminds me of a point a friend made about computers. When the university where she is a professor switched from Mac to Windows she mourned the loss of the “sexiness” of the Mac. Where the others might be called beautiful , fetching, even sensual, Chinatown is sexy.

(Note: if anybody can suggest a way to edit this last so that I’m not [cringe…] comparing Mitsouko to Windows, please let me know and I’ll make the change.)

3ood
3ood

got this as a gift ..absolutely hated it ..too spicy and too masculine :( but the bottle is beautiful

Fizzy
Fizzy

It is a truly cinnamon smell. ONLY cinnamon. Sniffed it only on paper, because I hate cinnamon and do not want to smell like one.
I sniffed the truly sandalwood essence in Assuan /Egypt/, and in this scent is NO sandalwood, or a whiff of a bad one. Sorry.

Edit: It reminds me somehow on Kenzo L´Elephant. If you love Elephant, you would love this too.

Heverton
Heverton

Chinatown, considered a unisex scent, has sensational opening!

This one starts with a sweet/velvety tone guaranteed by peach blossom, accompanied by the delicious aroma of gardenia and tuberose, which over time develops into a gourmand smell, with the emergence of a delicate vanilla, acting only as an adjunct to the floral notes that persist until the end of the fragrance, where the woody tones appears, such as sandalwood, thereby removing a bit of the feminine touch at the beginning and middle that dominates the fragrance.

Finally, a pleasant surprise! I've never been to New York neither Chinatown! But after sampling this scent, I had a great desire! hehehehehe

MizLiz
MizLiz

Sugar and spice and everything nice, as they say, and also some surprises! You know that smell when you open an old lacquered jewelry box? That's in here, along with spicy-cool cardamom, creamy gardenia and tuberose, and a fresh touch of my favorite flower, the peony. I have been wearing Chinatown since the year it came out, and I hope we will have many more years together. The body cream is crazy-expensive, but wonderful.

angel6
angel6

I like the opening, then it dries a little and remind me of a more subdue Lou Lou, and then cames the wax floor with peaches that Luca Turin mention in his book.I like but don't love it.
Aurelien guichard made this and if I had not smelt his visa Masterpiece before this one I may have like this one a little more. Visa still out of this world gourgeous.

dame piglet
dame piglet

I was looking for a 'heavy on the sandalwood' scent and the associate suggested this. When she sprayed this on my wrist, the Hallelujah chorus began (in my head)! On me, this is a masterpiece!

This is definitely a try-before-you-buy scent. I do have to comment that I was disappointed at how quickly it disappeared; especially for the price. It only lasted 1.5 - 2 hrs. But oh, what a good time!

Lady Love
Lady Love

I didn´t like the initial top notes of this fragrance, they are overly sweet and quite aggressive. As it dried down, it smelled more soft and familiar, like Lou Lou by chacharel without the plum and the violet, and more focus on peony-peach blossom. I didn't notice the tuberose and gardenia.

Chinatown is a good fragrance, but it's not as unique as I'd hoped.

Migotka
Migotka

I have not tried a lot of Bond fragrances, and it seems they have quite mixed reviews. I absolutely love New Haarlem, and I actually very very much like Chinatown. From the start till the end, I dont really get a citruses, but a creamy, smooth tuberose, fragrant orange blossom, soft gardenia, wondeful woods, sometimes I have an impression it is almost a gourmand one. All the notes are blended so nicely. The scent is creamy, delicious, delicate, seductive. There is a bit of powderiness here, just as much as I like. I detect a hint of spice, but it is barely there.

I quite like it, and I will gladly use my decant. But I agree with those who say that for this price, you'd expect something more from a fragrance. For half of the price, there is at least a few similar fragrances that stand out more.

adrienn99
adrienn99

oh maaaaan. seems no hypes turn good on me. This is one of the perfumes i had to scrub off after 15 mins. The smell made sick.

I do not get anything gourmand/fruity/sweet/flowery.

What do I get? Well to paint the picture with the utmost reality i feel; would be rude and most probably hurt the feelings of so many admirers of this fragrance.

So i refrain from doing that and say: this smells like cardboard with stale cardamom spilt on.

Bond can say it is Chinatown... this ain't real dragon, just a paper dragon.

Cereza
Cereza

It opened extremely sweet with fruity peach and hints of gardenia. I can even feel some kind of coconut which is playing along. I suspect it's from tuberose. After the openining I start to feel fresh bergamot giving some lovely touch to the extremely sweet sypmhony. At the start it's gorgeous, but then it turns to citruses dipped in sugar and yet again this turns too sweet for me.

I was expecting more flowers, more tuberose, more gardenia, but now I'm getting only the bergamot and sugar, no it's not BAD, but it's not great. It's just simply not something enjoy smelling.

At the heart some kind of incense note shows up, so it becomes interesting, but somehow still not IT. It just lacks something for me to enjoy. I seek flowers.

oopsfauxpas
oopsfauxpas

i am an old woman of 52, who remembers a phrase from my 20's that always made me laugh: gag me with a spoon.

i'm upping the ante: gag me with a ladle.

what in the name of every inappropriate word is going on with perfume? this one starts out like it's going to take me to the moon.

i end up in a hot car, with a 3 year old brat having a temper tantrum. it's the same old complaint. she has a disgusting orange lollipop that is thick with her saliva. she refuses to eat anymore because she hates it. but she won't get rid of it, because it's hers. it's 300 degrees, we're stuck in traffic, and my car stinks of drool laden, horrific orange lolli.

it started with angel - mugler, i better never see you in a dark allyway.

but lord love a duck, let it go already.

it is a loathesome, insult to the nose, and another thing. i can only beg those of you who think these bond bottles are just "gwageous" to stay the heck away from interior design as a career. they are appalling.

it is bloody inexcusable to take 2 or 3 minutes of potential greatness and reduce it to used, badly made candy sitting in an enclosed space in the boiling sun. UGH.

elusivek
elusivek

Unusual! It starts out very sweet, bordering on too sweet, then the cardamom first peeks out but then comes straight out into the center. I swear I smell a touch of ginger in there and the sandalwood+cedar give it the most unique aged wood feel to it.

At this point the floral springs forward. Light, bright and sweet. It's artfully juxtaposed with the woods and cardamom.

It's like walking past cut fresh flowers in an outside market, the scent still fresh in your mind then into one of those hole in the wall old stores that sells spices and herbs from the jars lining the shelves/wall that people use for folk/natural remedies and has incense smouldering out of sight.

There is a citrus/tangy note that I can't quite place that also adds to the uniqueness of the blend.

For the first 30 minutes it's a bit sweet for my taste and the floral is cloying but it dissipates and then it's all about the spices and that sumptuous aged wood.

Very unusual and unique

adele l
adele l

This is very feminine and soft but far from ordinary- the cardamom is well integrated and cozy. I do not find it strong at all just soft and powdery, the patchouli subtle but noticeable. It wears close to the skin and is not at all fruity on me-so glad I got a large decant. Seems there are differing opinions here so it should probably be tested before purchase!

annabolina
annabolina

Well, it is downright a good scent. Contradictory, but good.
For me there is almost a fruity-floral sweetness int he composition that is well-known from Juicy Couture or Miss Dior Cherie. Considering- Chinatown is sweeter then M.D.C.(!)
Cardamom is a big gambler here, and with orange-blossom + honey + vanilla it gives a syrupy twist to the tuberose-gardenia duet.
And still! you can not get enough of this. It is sooooo hilarious, soooo mellow,that gives you the sensation of the playground of the angels. And who on the Earth would deny a peek a boo from a cherub?

Wafa

Iam falling in love with you everyday chinatown , you taking me each minute to a new place .. i love you always

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

What can I possibly say that Sherapop has not already amply covered in her definitive review? I will just have to wax lyrical about just how weirdly WONDERFUL this fragrance is.

As rare as hen's teeth to sample & purchase in Australia (if you are looking for it, you can find it in DJs Sydney city store), this unusual fragrance is well worth the search.

The inital spray is indicative of the journey but I find it a little challenging in that it is very unusual and exotic. I struggle to identify any of the notes and I am not sure if I like it even though it is scintillating.

But the drydown, oh the drydown is exquisite and totally worth whatever price I would have to pay to own it. Powdery patchouli & very gentle blended spices on a sweet cohesive base. I have never smelt anything like it. Like Sherapop, I find myself catching the scent of myself and admiring my good taste in perfumes.

To my nose, this is not especially unisex, it is very saucy & feminine (not to mention the beautiful pink bottle?!?). When I eventually talk my beloved into buying this for me, I will appropriate a patch of his skin to test my theory.

Bond no 9 has come up with a unique presentation of patchouli common to three of the edps I've tried so far: BRYANT PARK, LEXINGTON AVE and this gorgeous composition, CHINATOWN.

Although CHINATOWN is listed as an oriental, it's half-way to the peculiar Bond variety of sweet powdery chypre, because of the patchouli, which somehow imparts a luscious textured quality that I find utterly addicting. The quasi-chypre is complemented here with star anise and other oriental notes, including vanilla and cardamom. The florals mix in perfectly and overall this hits me as a seamless, medium sillage linear--which I absolutely love.

I've been wearing CHINATOWN while watching films lately, and I sometimes find myself commenting (outloud!) how wonderful I smell. I really love this composition, and I am happy that CHINATOWN, unlike BRYANT PARK and LEXINGTON AVE, has excellent staying power. Anyone who likes any of these three compositions will probably like the other two, as they are closely related, it seems to me. On the other hand, those who are not moved by this particular sweet powdery chypre quality, will probably not be thrilled by any of these three edps.

Although I'm far from being a Bond cultist, CHINATOWN is one of the best of their ever-expanding collection. This one is both unique and beautiful and is truly a pleasure to wear.

hollycat
hollycat

Not really impressed. I get mostly spices and something reminiscent of incense. It reminded me of the smells of a chinese restaurant. Or perhaps the smells of a yoga studio, with the smell of healthy food coming through peoples pores as they do hot yoga with incense burning.

I should say that I have the kind of chemistry that needs strong scents as scents dilute very much on my skin. So I find chinatown to light with not enough sillage. Im glad I dont care for this, save myself much $$$$$$$$$

mocha43
mocha43

First I smelled the cardoman, which was nice, and then this evolved into a very lovely scent of peonies, orange blossom and peach. To me it is very worthwhile. I bought samples of Bond on e-bay and I was able to get them for a very reasonable price. This alone, is giving me a great investment on my dollar. Some perfumes really need to be bought as samples because they are so expensive, and that is very true of the Bond line.

Dark Curls

i have found my "holy grail" (as Kastehelmi says) of perfume! I LOVE this perfume and just bought the 3.4 oz bottle finally, as well as the body silk! I keep coming back to it and for me (with my 200 + perfumes) this is an anomoly. I always want to wear it and my fiance LOVES it on me too!it is an enduring, perfect blend of fruit, floral and SPICE! Perfection!

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

I was not impressed by this fragrance at first: I found it to be an ordinary sweet floral scent, nothing special that requires such a high price tag. But after i tried it several times, I changed my mind - first of all, it appeared to be very wearable, feminine, and the scent is not cheap at all. I like peach blossom, different flowers and patchouli here. Very likable and I'd even say addictive scent. Maybe the retail price is too high for this creation, but it deserves attention)

Dark Curls

Oh wow I did not have high expectations of this and assumed I would not like it. Boy was I wrong! I just love when this happens instead of the opposite! I love this- I smell a moderately spicy floral with a dash of fruit. This smells unique to me! Now I want a full bottle...

Wafa

I love this perfume the best scent ever .. i bought 2 bottles .. willing to buy this forever .. so sexy , rich soo yummy it Looooooove it

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

First thing out of the sample vial was what I thought was star anise, which would be perfectly appropriate for Chinatown. Along with that was a mix of strong powder, something that smells a little like wet cardboard or a wet sidewalk, and maybe a little syrupy canned peach. I do get a whiff of patchouli from time to time, as well as the cardamon and possibly cinnamon, but the whole combination shimmers and changes. The sillage seems pretty good to me, at least for the first hour or so. It does have a bit of a drugstore perfume quality, but in a nice way. Three hours after applying the scent I could hardly smell it any more. It's disappointing that there is no drydown to a set of basenotes that are as strong and as interesting as the top. I'll try this again, but am not impressed with its longevity.

krishka
krishka

Reading about the notes i thought i'd like it but for this scent is gourmand fruity, sickingly sweet,old i do not smell any flowers just a cocktail cherry reminds me of black forest cake

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i am finding chinatown very similar to jungle l'elephant though it is lighter. for the price and packaging i would go with the kenzo though neither are completely for me.

So-so.
Based on the wonderful listed notes I expected something more luxurious and enticing, but this one smells just nice and similar to something from Lush.
It doesn't convince me completely. It is very soft, feminine, slightly powdery, not offensive, but nothing really turning my soul upsetdown. Lasting power is ok, sillage very close to skin.

Tarya
Tarya

The more I've learned about perfumes during last months the less I agree with -Perfumes -The Guide- authors.

I had such an high expectations to this one. This flowercoctail smells cheap and artificial. Sweet in a bad way.
Will this change if I wait honestly I wouldn't waste my time to this one. Huge headache potential.

clairdelune
clairdelune

It's already gotten cold where I live, so a stronger oriental seemed apropos for the weather - I reached for my little sample of China Town, hoping (again) to love it. I've worn it a couple times before and just found it too strong, especially for the office. This time around, it was a bit softer--maybe I applied less, but still, this fragrance just demands too much of my attention.
Granted, it is interesting and one of the few Bond's I respect in terms of its construction, but, although I like the scent, it's not a scent I can comfortably wear.
I like the peach skin but this perfume almost smolders, especially in the dry down. It has a smokey element that evokes images of an opium den--interesting, exotic, but just too incongruous with normal, daily life. Another scent that has that smokiness to it is Kenzo Flower Oriental. Another interesting scent I can appreciate from afar, but not wear.
I'd still urge everyone to give this a try, if nothing else than just for the experience. But for me, this is something I'll sniff from time to time to escape briefly to the Orient, but that's it.
I do think the bottle is pretty.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

I never was in NY, however, Chinatown is close me - when in Poland communism has fallen( 1989), in my country appear mass chine restaurants, free trade begin since street commerce - merchants has exposed articles, also sweetness from west, on field beds. It was possible to buy american perfume. Then there was fashion Giorgio Bevery Hills - stupefying smelling whites flowers. These savors and smells of first days of freedom were wonderful. Was summer - crowds of people have on streets, in restaurants, in street cafés. From chines restaurant came exotic smells, smoke, scent of pece of furniture. Children ate candies, people laughed cordially. I find that time in Bond's Chinatown. For me it's smell of freedom and fun. Exquisite, muddless, sweet and simultaneously piquant. In one drop I have bouquets of flowers , baskets of fruits, bags of sharp seasonings, spices , mass of sweet and cakes, incense. Easy answer on question: what not has in Chinatown?, than : what is in it?. In this perfume is crush and mess , but how there is adorable, color, joyful and sensual. This is work of art. My favorite. My love.

idressyou
idressyou

Not one of my favorites. Has the potential to be an interesting, and pleasant floriental. Unfortunately, the sulfuric cloud of stale, cheap Nag Champa incense that hovers over and overpowers, kills it for me.

guest_ilonka
guest_ilonka

It'a amazing parfume, it's gift of my friend, it's so pity that in Ukraine it's not possible to buy it!

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

Got the Swarovski Eition today, July 1, 2009. So glad I got it! I can't get enough of it. Everytime I smell it, I smile. It's sweet, but grown up spicy sweet. Not a candy overload.

redmosaic
redmosaic

Sweet candylike scent but so weak, doesn't last 5 minutes on me! Literally! I am so disappointed in the sillage, what sillage? It is practically like spraying toilet water that has been diluted. But what hint of a scent I can discern is gorgeous beyond belief. Feminine vanilla floral with a hint of spice.
I will keep it for the bottle.
Does anyone think the weakness of the scent is because I bought it from a discount seller from Amazon?

honeydays
honeydays

Smells like candy. Luca Turin called it a masterpiece, so I looked forward to testing this one. Disappointed, did not like the sweetness at all, though I admit he did indicate in his review that some find it "too sweet".

rebella
rebella

The first hours with Chinatown is all about gourmand on me... Not at all sweet, cloying gourmand rather a spicy (lot of cardamom), creamy and a little orientalic gormand. Very nice, but not that special. After a good while the flowers finally shows, together with the patchouli making it to a soft, whispering, powdery and very delightful fragrance. This part I like best and it is very pretty, but also unique and exclusive.

I still haven´t surprised my husband with it (he is my very sweet male guinea pig) but I must smell it on him, would be such a fun to see what his skinchemistry do with this...

A must try of course! Longlasting and quite an experience...

PávelHenry
PávelHenry

Although the frag isn’t gourmand, it’s give me a water mouth. Candy jasmin, lavender, gardenia… beneath this, exist some resinous and solid. This simple components altogether gives me huge headache! Well…it’s a beautiful frag, easy to use every time, everyday… versatility is your fort with small amount.
Have a long lasting… will be your partner for all long day!
^^

Carla
Carla

I'm a Bond No 9 fan but this one really missed the mark. Out of the 34 fragrances they released, and I've tried most of them, this was the bottom of the barrel absolute worse, so NLS, your review are my "scentiments" exactly! The sweet notes in the opening are fine and pleasing but then in less than a New York minute, WHAM a sudden burst of I don't know what! A smoky, stale incense, unnatural almost hickory-like aroma erupts! It's awful! I tried it twice and it was one time too many. Such a disappointment, Bond No 9 what happened??? :-(

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I've given Chinatown a few tries now, and I think it's another one that looks, at least on paper, like a scent I will enjoy, but actually does not smell pleasant on my skin. I normally love gourmands and "loud" fragrances, and Oriental Florals, too, and I was disappointed by this one. (I would classify this one as a gourmand, as I cannot detect any of the floral notes in here.)

Chinatown starts out sweet and almondy, almost like a cookie or pastry. After a few minutes, it quickly turns to a synthetic, chemical, unpleasant scent that is truly irritating to smell.

I really wanted to like this one, but I think I'll have to give some other Bond No. 9's consideration instead. Chinatown is just not right for me, and I feel so strongly about it that I also recommend that others sample it first before purchasing.

Instantly becomes almost entirely base on me with a touch of bergamot. Dry, sharp, not bad but too dry and sharp for me to enjoy. A bit intrusive. I just don't like this one and it gets worse as it dries down.

kokica
kokica

a magnificent blend of dusty-woody notes mixed with dark flowers,gardenia and patchouli that gives a smokey kind of drydown...very unique,very sophisticated...veeeery expencive!!

Aysu
Aysu

In the first sniff I fell in love with this perfume.
Very fruity beginning (on many websites they were showing peach in the top notes).. Peach and gardenia combination with patchouli base, gave me a perfect feeling.. Starts fruity floral then turns into an oriental perfume on my skin.. It faded a little quick on my skin though, but I will give it a one more try. By the way, surprised to see that this is a unisex fragrance, as I found it quite feminine..

Chinatown by Bond No 9 3.98 out of 5 based on 764 ratings and 153 user reviews

Bond No. 9 Chinatown Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.3oz
BeautyBar.com
Eau De Parfum
Bond No. 9 New York Swarovski Collection Chinatown Eau de Parfum

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 Chinatown fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 Chinatown, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chinatown by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chinatown by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.