Designers » B » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

Coney Island Bond No 9 for women and men

Coney Island Bond No 9 for women and men
dislike

ozonic
Coney Island Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures Coney Island Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures

Coney Island by Bond No 9 is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women and men. Coney Island was launched in 2007. The nose behind this fragrance is Michel Almairac. Top notes are melon, guava, tequila and lime; middle notes are caramel, cinnamon and dark chocolate; base notes are sandalwood, musk, vanilla and cedar.

Melon Guava Tequila Lime

Caramel Cinnamon Dark Chocolate

Sandalwood Musk Vanilla Cedar

Coney Island Fragrance Reviews

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I am LOVING THIS! Perhaps THE most creative creation from the Bond No.9 house. And one that truly works (at least for me).

"Sherapop" has already reviewed this in a fantastic and most accurate story, so I cannot add much to this, other than it is perhaps THE best and most enduring ozonic, aquatic, gourmand scent I have ever encountered.

If you think you have smelled all those "wish washy watery scents" before, think and smell again, for this one really wowed me.

I love guavas and their delicate, aromatic fragrance is just magically captured here.

This entire concoction is masterfully blended (Michel Almairac needs no intro) and I would recommend it as the ultimate summer holiday fragrance.

If you live in the tropics and you are sick and tired of elusive and short-lived aquatics, you must try this one.

SUMMER STORY MASTERPIECE! 10/10

Upper East Side
Upper East Side

Probably the longest lasting summer fragrance.

jtd
jtd

There is something in the composition of perfumes from many houses that makes them identifiable. It’s not universal, but you can recognize a classic Guerlain when you come across it. Similarly, Caron, Estée Lauder, Montale, Amouage. It might be a similarity of style, it might be recognizeable notes. How many times have you heard people comment on the Guerlinade base, or that Andy Tauer’s perfumes having a similar drydown?

There are many reasons for using a common base. For some houses, Guerlain, de Nikolai, Amouage it’s the result of deliberate concept, or school of composition. In some other houses, it feels a bit more insular, the the range of perfumes in a line is smaller. Look at Montale, Juliet Has a Gun, Maison Francis Kurkdjian. I can’t really determine, and therefore try not to judge, whether the similarities among the line are intentional or not. A line might want to leave a calling card as it were. Recognition is the first step and branding, and most up-and-coming houses seek brand identifiability.

Christ, did Bond no Nine choose the wrong smell to identify their line.

Coney comes two years after it's direct predecessor, Bleecker Street, and in the same year as it's soul sibling in the Creed line, Virgin Island Water. Bleecker Street was a spectacular failure, attempting to merge the aquatic and gourmand trends in the same perfume. Not looking for nuanced composition, it simply thought it could get 200% fragrance in one bottle. Fulfilling multiple axioms in one fell swoop, bond No 9 is doomed to repeat the worst of their history. And while I'm not sure who got fooled first with Bleecker St and then again with Coney Island, to paraphrase W, I won't get fooled again.

The common thread to Bleecker, Coney and Virgin Island is the concentration of artificial flavors and qualities. Synthetic aromachemicals have made contemporary perfumery possible. But if quality is ignored, the synthetic/'natural' dichotomy isn't even worth discussing. In more careful hands, the aquatic/gourmand proposition might work. All I mean to say is that for a successful joining of disparate elements, more is required that pouring them into the same bottle, which is fundamentally what was done in Coney Island.

As if attempting to create a hyper-flavored 100% calorie free superfood, Bond squeeze the rancid quality of fat replacements, such as pure 'butter flavor', and the musk-buoyed motion sickness of fake piña colada mix (is there any other kind of piña colada mix?) into one lingering sick feel. You know story of the drunk vomiting person saying it was the last martini that did it, implying that puking had nothing to do with the eight that preceded it? Coney Island is the legendary ninth Martini.

I don't understand these perfumes, and facetiousness aside, they present me with a question to consider. I've read reviews at Basenotes and Fragrantica, and apparently there are people who like Coney Island. Is there any scent that is universally revolting? I don't find Secretions Magnifiques completely unappealing, but most find it universally repulsive.

Coney Island does inadvertently bring up an important point in perfumery and criticism. I don't like the smell of Virgin Bleecker Island, but preferences and opinions aren’t the whole point. I started this website in order to separate myself from public sites that tend to make the consideration of perfumes just a weighing in of opinion. In all subjective matters, opinions will be formed. Should opinion be the last stop in the discussion? My conclusion that Bleecker St, Coney Island and Virgin Island Water are similarly flawed compositionally and unsuccessful in their aims, isn't simply a loud way of saying that I don't like them. It's a critique of an aesthetic product.

from scenthurdle.com

-RJ-seventh
-RJ-seventh

Watermelon, grass, lime, sea, a bit salt.

Dominating is the note what comes together as a grass and water.

Summerly, sporty, but not unique.

Tends to masculine side.

Klayface
Klayface

I really believe that a lot of people have based their satisfaction with this frag based on the opening only . they haven't taken Into account the heart of this fraq . if they did ,no body would call this a summer frag .

Don't get me wrong , the opening is awesome beautiful rich scent , but a chocolate , caramel and cinnamon dry down for summer ? Are u serious ?

Seriously? Such a Franken-scent .

Fraken-scent !!

A bastard frag , with no real category to call home.

Silkpuppet
Silkpuppet

A true margarita scent. As a gourmand aficionado, this scent seemed right up my alley. I was a little skeptical about the ability to harmonize something as sharp and acidic as a margarita note with chocolate and caramel, but it sounded unique and whimsical. The initial spray was overtly fruity, with tons of lime and a burst of salt. After about an hour, I sensed the sweeter, candied notes coming through. While I enjoyed the dynamic quality of the scent, it became a little cacophonous. I would have preferred that they focus on either the fruitier notes or the muskier notes rather than trying to whip them into one scent. Additionally, Coney Island has a very domineering marine note that lingers throughout the evolution of the fragrance and comes out in the drydown just when the caramel starts to show. As someone who absolutely detests aquatic notes, this was the nail in the coffin. While my body chemistry just does not do well with these notes, it is still a fun idea and a pretty creative scent on the whole.

Edit: I will say this: I tried CI again last night and it has lasted on my skin for 12 hours.

jellybeantree
jellybeantree

@scentpanther your review sounds like a Stephen king novel! omg !

ScentPanther
ScentPanther

Witnessing a human being, a friend, a young gentleman with a wife and children being overtaken by the horror the wendigo spirit embodies is a terrifying thing. My hunting party had found itself stranded in the northern Rockies as winter fell back in 83, and we knew things would be grim, but watching Stevensen go mad like he did, running off into the tall pines, driven by hunger, the endless cold and snow, the isolation, to what we believed was his death nearly drove us to despair. However, when he started hunting us, when we saw O'Grady's bones stripped of flesh in that clearing, with the gnaw marks of human teeth on them, when we saw him fall upon Clemens and begin ripping and tearing like a savage animal, it was beyond despair, beyond terror.

In the end there were only two of the ten of us left, just Giovanni and I, and putting the monster that was wearing Stevensen's flesh down, like a rabid dog, remembering who he had been... I'm sorry, I cannot speak of this anymore.

Coney Island is a fragrance that tastes nothing like it smells. It is bitter, foul to the mouth. It also burns when applied to the eyes. I strongly advise against doing so, and instead recommend that it be sprayed upon skin or clothing, for its scent, or the marvelous sound the sprayer makes when it sprays.

chrissyc15

UPDATE::::

This is definitely one of the fragrances that is dependent upon the time of year...

DO NOT SAMPLE THIS IN THE COLD WEATHER! IT WILL NOT DO IT JUSTICE!!!!!

This has OFFICIALLY become my FAVORITE summer fragrance! I was COMPLETELY unfair to this beauty before when I tried it back a couple months ago in the dead of winter!!!! I just tried this on a couple days ago, when the temps hit 78 here. IT WAS AMAZING IN THE HEAT! YUMMY! SO FRESH! Back in the winter all I got was straight lime and margarita... overwhelming so... to the point it knocked it down a notch on my love list. HOWEVER, in the heat, the sweetness of the caramel and melon started coming through mixed with saltiness of the margarita. The smoothness of the sandalwood and hint of cedar blends in nicely to allow everything to mingle in perfect harmony. MMMMMMM so refreshing and fun! I went to bed that night and woke up the next morning, and COULD STILL SMELL IT! The sillage is moderate to heavy depending on how much you spray. I sprayed on the crook of each elbow and once on my clothes and that was ENOUGH! The longevity lasted a good 14-16 hours!

When I smell this I instantly thought sitting on the beach smelling the salty sea air, sipping on a margarita, and eating fresh melons and caramels... THAT IS MY HEAVEN!!!!!!

When I got home from work, I changed my clothes because my husband and I were going to go riding the backroads with the windows down to enjoy the beautiful weather. I spritzed this on before we left. When we got in the car and rolled the windows down, he got a sniff of it.. his responds "What in the hell do you have on? It smells amazing!!!!!" I THINK I HAVE A WINNER HERE!

simbeast
simbeast

this is a bold scent and i love it for that, because
it's uncommon to come across a real citrus bomb like this one.

i don't really smell any of the chocolate or sweet notes listed above, on me i get big-time citrus (lime mostly), seaweed, and a bit of tropical fruit in a current of saltwater and booze. i think maybe testing this in warmer weather might bring out more of the chocolate note. despite its boldness, it can be a bit finnicky, having trace amounts of the wrong body lotion left on my wrist can really bring out some disconcerting garbage-y notes in this which can easily lead to weird queasy feelings.

definitely don't blind buy coney island, and if/when you go to test it, pull this out in warm weather. longevity and sillage are good, and it's a bit on the masculine side, but works for either gender. overall it's a fun scent and it's making me very antsy for summer!

SundayMorning
SundayMorning

In this aquatic boomblast i can only smell fresh limepeel & strong blue-mint! My daughter said "and a little bit of roses too!" :)

Much similaritys to Clean- "Clean fragrance" but this one lasts.

Shoota#1
Shoota#1

This is nice. Summertime def comes to mind on the seashore. I like this gem of a cologne. This is in a class of its own. Nothing I have ever smelled is similar to Coney Island. Nice Work!!

pilarrl
pilarrl

I got a sample of this yesterday and I really did not like it. I was expecting something citrusy, salty, warm, but sweet at the same time from the notes listed, but I got none of that. It smelled liked eggs, then it smelled liked rotten seaweed and dirty seaweed, just like dirty water at a beach.

I got no margarita smell, no vanilla, no woods, chocolate or any other combination of the notes that were supposed to be there.

I had to scrub it off as I could not stand the smell. One thing is that it lasts, even after trying to wash it off, the smell was still there.

This is a case of my skin chemistry not working with this perfume and on others it must smell great.

I prefer the salty note in Lys Mediterranée.

A definite must try before buying and blind buying is not recommended.

areyouin729
areyouin729

just got a sample for this after a little time away from smelling and I remember why I love this one; so unique and now I will be buying a nice fresh bottle for the warm weather coming in a few months.

mfeezy
mfeezy

I like this ALOT. To me, it's summer in a bottle. Whenever I smell this I'm reminded of summertime. It's like that episode of Seinfeld when Kramer had the idea of a cologne that smelled like the beach...

yloenog
yloenog

This scent is definitely something that I haven't smelled before (well, at least not from the 180 EUR range).
I was looking for some new perfume together with my boyfriend and while I was looking at Creed and Clive Cristian, my boyfriend called excitedly, saying that he found something "really good, you have to try it!".
I was expecting something fresh and floral, with a slighty oceanic twist, but my nostrils hit... caiprinha. It was like sniffing my boyfriend's favourite cocktail - no wonder he liked the perfume.
I didn't buy it though - it was too expensive and I'm still not sure if I want to be a walking cocktail.

chrissyc15

I got a sample of this from Nordstrom and really like it at first. It is a wonderful scent for the summertime since the strong margarita and lime citrus is so prominent. However, there is seemingly absent note of carmel that is suppose to be reached that never developed on me. It lasted quite a while on me (7-8 hrs), but for the price I should smell it for 24hrs.

burgundyaltima
burgundyaltima

First spray smells like lemonade or lemon head candy (kind of childish in the opening) ..as it dries it reminds me of acqua di gio or bvlgari aqva marine...perfect for summer..salty airy sea breeze vibe...and it last a long time too!.. i like it but don't think its worth the price tag.

melia
melia

To me this is the exact smell of Étoile de Rem, just stronger and more intense. Like EdR, it is this kind of 'ozonic' scent indeed, in which I'm having difficulties to distinguish different stages or notes. It is just limes and tequilas blended into this vanillic thing. I love a lime and tequila (with salt), and I adore vanilla... But even though it sounds like it, it is far from a pearl-sand-'nd-turqoise-sea-island fantasy for me. I swapped my EdR, and I would do the same if I'd had a bottle of Coney Island. The notes individually sounded so tasty and lovely to me, so many many many thanks to the lovely spidola for sending me this sample! I'm very glad to have tried this... Just no ozonic/aromatic lime/vanilla combinations for me.

katushka37
katushka37

I was really attarcted to the name and the bottle but it is very hard to get these perfumes where I live so I managed to buy a sample online. I was contemplating buying a full size bottle blindly but luckily I didn't.

I was imagining a sweet, citrusy and slightly oceanic scent but instead got boozed up sharp lime. It reminds me of Norsca coconut and lime deodorant (but neither have the actual coconut in them). I am so,so happy I didn't spend over $200 on it! It just doesn't agree with me and as mentioned abouve smells like a drugstore deodorant.

SouthernCharm
SouthernCharm

This is a fun and flirty scent for warm summer days. I can't help but feel energized when I smell it and it goes great on girls and guys.

konami125
konami125

Very much a love hate relationship with this scent. One day seems to limey and other days seems to salty/sweet. Very much a novelty scent imo. Definaty not a "signature scent".

nafi33
nafi33

Got this sent to me as a sample. I seriously thought the guy put his urine in it. Try before you buy.

dayzaway99
dayzaway99

a beautiful sweet, lime/salt ocean scent. Reminds me of a lime margarita in the summer heat as it melts off, a cool ocean breeze shoots through creating a sweet, oceanic salty scent with citrus undertones, similar to bleecker street base notes but much lighter and watery in composition. Both women and men can wear this. I wore this on a casual day to target. a black woman was immediately attracted to me, invading my private space, and laughing at my silly jokes. And saying i smelled like something she wanted to have inside of her. A sweet, salty gourmand ocean scent for the sexually inclined

Scout
Scout

Question for anyone who has smelled both this and Bath and Body Works' "Charmed Life" --Are they similar? "Charmed Life" is the only other guava fragrance I have tried and I'm just wondering how the guava compares in "Coney Island."

meugie
meugie

Starts with a smell of lemon, salt and fruit caipirinha (or margarita). Smell of beach and Sun.
The Cedar could be felt in the very beginning.
Is quite different. Nothing shy, great projection and dominates all of me. I mean, feel like I'm wearing a shield of lemon and salt.
The salt note reminded me (I'm not comparing), Thierry Mugler's Womanity. Just came to my mind.
Passed the effervescence of the lemon, appears a taste of cotton candy, candy apple and other goodies that we eat in amusement parks. But the smell of salty air remains all the time, now -one hour later-, with the musk and sandalwood in the background.
Except for the chocolate, I could distinguish all the notes. Some more, other less intensity. Arriving and leaving, in their own time.
The main attraction for me was, although it is a complex fragrance, it is extremely simple and objective on the sensations it wants to wake up to. I hadn’t been in Coney Island, but the smell makes me imagine I'm there, sitting on a warm and cloudy evening, watching gulls do party in dumpsters (there is really anything dirty, I think is the guava which gives that feeling), and having memories of a beautiful summer day. Maybe because I’m not safe to use this perfume on a really hot day in the tropics.
The smell sticks to the skin and stays for a reasonable time.
I bought six decants of Bond No 9, but when I chose the full bottles, this was not among them. Preferred New York Oud, New Haarlem, and So New York.Not regretted it exactly, but it's the first on the list for future acquisition, along with Chinatown.

Livelyup_URself
Livelyup_URself

I really, really wanted to like this one. I like unusual scents, but this one projects "last night I slept in the dumpster behind Whole Foods."

The opening smells like an old fishnet full of lemons, limes, and Italian parsley that has been lying in a tide pool for a week, rotting from below while the sun bakes the top.

After the initial blast of citrus fades, it smells like lying on the beach on a sweltering day near a mucky pile of seaweed, just downwind of a salty dessicated fish carcass, as a garbage barge floats slowly by.

butterbean
butterbean

OMG. In LOVE with this one!

Now I am not sure how true the rumors are that the Bond No 9 creator used to work for Creed and most scents are similar to Creed parfums -- but, if you like Virgin Island Water by Creed you will LOVE this too!

Coney Island is a treat to my nose. It is a truly like sipping a margarita. It is a fresh breezy aquatic scent that is perfect balance of lime citrus, sweetness and a musky cedar.

As it dries it is becomes a little sweeter with the carmel coming thru. I love what the cedar and sandalwood add.

The melon is there, but not too loud. I tend to detect melon easily and it can be overpowering but not in Coney Island. Seriously it is just right!

It is very refreshing, yet yummy....perfect in hot summer weather, or and indian summer fall.

Travis453
Travis453

One of the most unique scents in the Bond line. Starts with a lime "margarita" smell and then it developed into the reason I bought it, the caramel, chocolate, salty scent that has a smell that you can truly taste. The salty smell also gives off a feeling of being at the beach where the salt just lingers out of the ocean into the air. Real neat stuff. I don't like the first 30 minutes or so on me, but when it calms it's really nice!

Mikprittie
Mikprittie

This is a nice summer scent, margarita, margarita, margarita... but for me not full bottle worthy, especially not for the price.

cpa5oh
cpa5oh

I am not an expert in men's fragrances by any stretch. For me, longevity in a fragrance that I enjoy the smell of is most important to me (what's the point if it doesn't last? is how I look at it.) This fragrance definitely has longevity - three sprays, one of which is on my shirt in the chest area, and I notice the product all day. By the evening I can still smell it at skin/clothing level. I'm not going to try and explain exactly what notes I smell - this site's description of the notes are probably more accurate than I would be with my amateur nose. Obviously at the price of Bond No 9 fragrances, you almost have to wear a sample for a few days before you make the decision to buy. I would HIGHLY recommend this as one to try if you're looking for a daytime, spring/summer scent.

pookerella
pookerella

It's definitely an oddball, but it grows on you.

I try to give every perfume that costs $250 a bottle a "chance" so long as it doesn't make me want to vomit. I wore this one the first time and was unimpressed. Second time, it seemed a little better to me. The third time I wore it, I sprayed it on my bicep/upper arm by mistake, and a few hours later, when I reached for something on the left with my right arm, I was surprised that my skin wasn't "tacky" feeling.

And then I "got" it. It really does smell like salt air.

Personally, it smells more like Cape Cod or the Gowanus than Coney Island. The sand has a weird smell at Coney Island, and it permeates the air. While this doesn't smell like that (I wish someone would bottle the CI smell!) I really grew to love it. Lovely in the summer time.

colognefan85
colognefan85

I have never smelt such a dynamic fragrance, the notes change drastic in the matter of minutes to hours. Amazing in that sense. The opening is a sweet margarita mix fusion with lime and salts. Its smells dead on to a margarita drink. Very fresh very appealing. The mid turns into a heavy chocolate and carmel. Huge change from what the opening was...almost as if you were wearing another fragrance. The dry down reminds me over a hot funnel cake. the most creative and fun fragrance deserves more attention!

mel4

I love this fragrance. It is festive, fun and not timid. Perfect name for a vibrant scent

Jwaks
Jwaks

What an awesome list of notes, it sounds delicious! Let's get down to the scent! Slice a guava in half, dip it in buttery, sweet caramel, sprinkle it with salt and lime juice and you have the opening to coney island. Wait about fifteen minutes to add cinnamon, a bit of chocolate sauce and hints of wood..that's the drydown. Persistently tangy, sweet and salty, it's a gourmand that can be heavy, cloying and difficult to wear. I find the heavy sweet and salty base off-putting and consider it more of a novelty or fun experiment than a perfume. It may be a fun and very unique scent, though I can't think of any time I would want to smell like Coney island.

Jonycake
Jonycake

As my urine flows from my eureathra, it hits the bottom of the urinal, bubbling around the white plastic that contains a solid blue air freshener. An sweet, tangy, sharp, ammonia filled aroma fills my nostrils. It is Coney Island.

I had this a few years back and on me it was an ozonic salty citrus with light caramel and sandalwood. On a friend it smelled as if she had vomited margaritas on herself.
Highly recommend getting a sample vial and wearing a full day before buying.

mel4

I purchased a few samples of this and love it. Being a Brooklyn girl, I can see how this captures Coney Island. Sea, cotton candy, popcrn, fun in a bottle. It is strong so just a spray or two will do. Great lasting power

This is very unique. Doesn't mean I want to own it, but I respect it a lot. I think it's the perfect fragrance to represent Coney Island as it appears in my mind, which is basically anything I remember from JAWS, since I've never been there before. It's kind of like a classic aquatic with a gourmand twist--clever! I think it's a great concept, and it works too.

While it smells predominantly aquatic, it features notes (in this order) of midori sour, vomit, bathroom cleaning product, caramel corn, rock candy, Mexican chocolate, and vanilla. This fragrance is as fun as I hope the rides are....

Wano
Wano

Seems like a love hate creation from Bond no9. The beginning is ok for me, a sweet citrus smell that remind me those yellow candies. Then it change as something very synthetic, not very my taste. Once again a high price for a perfume that dont deserve it.

s_raquidan
s_raquidan

i was at urban outfitters and the guy in the register was like "OMFG you smell sooooo good. What are you wearing? Dont tell me.......I need you to write it down" lol I NEVER had a reaction like this to any perfume EVER. I actually had to write it down on paper for him. I own 6 bottles of Bond perfumes and this one i get compliments every single time i wear it. It is bold, daring, and in your face.

Cams
Cams

Must be tested before purchasing! You've been warned...

PoeDiggity
PoeDiggity

I wouldn't buy the full bottle, but it's nice to have a sample of this on hand just to switch things up now and then. It's a fresher scent, a little fruity, not very sexy. Might be a good one to wear if you were going shopping with your girls. I wouldn't wear it on a date or to work.

sebjar
sebjar

I've never been turned off by a fragrance as much as I've been turned off by this fragrance. It's disgusting! Nasty, nasty juice.

WOW though I've been very interested in the Bond No 9 collection of fragrances for a while so I went to Saks recently and I picked up a bunch of samples and this one just is gross. I don't know what is but to me it smells like rotten eggs or old chicken rubbed on my skin. Nasty. It's so weird I'm usually very very nice about fragrances even if it doesn't do it for me but this thing is just off completely. Could it be the guava? Blah, gross, nasty. I can't think of any other words now but this is how I feel about this and I'm certain I wont be purchasing this juice from the awesome looking collection of fragrances. I've never been to Coney Island but maybe their intention was the smell of dead decaying fish that get washed up on shore? Sorry gonnna pass! But I did fall in love with New Haarlem though!

Francop
Francop

Nice summer scent that starts very citrusy and refreshing,

The heart is caramelised sugar that gets wrapped up in vanilla and woody notes after a while.

The longevity is good for about 6 hours max.

Lovely bottle and packaging, however on the down side, the price tag is just excessive for what the juice quality is all about.

Get it at a reduced price if you can.

texmich
texmich

Wow, usually i am a fan of bond fragrances, but i cant get past that rotten egg opening. seriously was all hyped to try this but disappointed, may try another day but not soon. try before you buy!

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

I understand the guava, melon, margarita, seabreeze vibe this not is trying to give off, but it has to be done in a convincing way. To me, it just seems like a blast of citrus from a typical designer fragrance, far from $200 of quality in my opinion. It gets a little better at drydown, but still, why would you get this when there are literally dozens of better options on the market.

caseyu
caseyu

damn! this is not okay! caramel and margarita all the way. i get "city dump" - seriously! (while laughing)...i cannot let myself wear it. Bond goes all the way with "mix up random notes, inject it into an uneasy base and call it unisex" thing. i get no vanilla here, just green and caramel, maybe cedar (which i don't appreciate) in an unsettling aquatic base.

scentelle
scentelle

150 of my US Dollars wasted. It opens like Margarita and in 15-20 minutes after some hesitation, settles as CK One. I do not like Unisex fragrances and this one is more of a men's fragrance than uni.

lordnuey
lordnuey

I was really excited after reading all the excellent reviews about this perfume. so i made myself go to sniff it at the mall. After the first sniffed, It automatically reminded me of CK summer 2008! I'm pretty sure the ck one copied this one, but i do own the ck already so money saving!

Quade
Quade

Just like Coney Island the place, the fragrance is just as unique, weird and infectious. Its a perfect and spectacularly made ode to such an iconic place in our country. I will add that whilst I normally dislike Guava, i love it in this fragrance but thats because it smells like its been smothered in Caramel and Chocolate with a coating of Vanilla and a sprinkling of Cinamon, then its all shaken up to create a fragrance that smells something like a delicious cocktail or decadent dessert. Despite how heavy some of the fragrances sound, the fragrance is quite wearable. I love it during the warmer months because its not cloying or sickly, it stays cool and projects very well. I get alot of compliments when I wear this. This is definetly one of the very few Bond No.9 fragrances that is worth the price-tag.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

This is the most heavenly scent to me! This is the scent I've been searching for all my life! I have never smelled anything with all these weird notes together that actually worked and flowed.
Here are the Notes: Margarita mix, melon guava, cinnamon, chocolate, caramel, musk, vanilla, cedarwood, sandalwoood.
Okay, at first whiff, i totally get the margarita mix! It's very strong and potent. I can smell the salt on the rim! Now honestly, this part of the scent stayed on my skin for at least an hour which is unheard of to me. Next, finally came the melon, guava,chocolate ,and cinnamon like all at once! The base was more caramel,vanilla and sandalwood. For some reason, I'm getting maple syrup but that may be the caramel?
This is a very heady scent, so heady I got a headache because I had not eaten and the gourmands were attacking me! This is not for the faint at heart or someone that likes light fragrances or clean smells. This would definitely be its antagonist.
I say if you like gourmands ,anything foody or sweet smelling ,you will covet this. I do not like the price tag whatsoever, but I would splurge on this.
A lot of reviewers recommend wearing this during the summer months but to me this is too much for the summer. It's like a winter tropical scent. Dark tropical I would say.
It's the next morning from me spraying this and I have showered and it's still on my wrists, so it's more bang for your buck. At this point, now it smells more aquatic. LOL. It evolves.
I think that Bond 9 scents have a lot of concoctions that I have smelled before in other less expensive perfumes, HOWEVER, Coney Island is very original IMO.
The imagery I get is being at the carnival with friends and you all have had margaritas. You have only had enough to get you tipsy. Everyone is having a blast at the carnival, trying new sweets and treats, all the while mixing with the margaritas. It's summer and everyone is so happy and ready for excitement. Carnival in a bottle! They got it!
Enjoy!

megatronrankin
megatronrankin

I've had the same bottle since I bought it back in 08 and the scent has stayed basically the same. The reason i still have a good amount left is because itnis very strong. You only need to use a little to get noticed which is nice. Trust me, you will def get noticed in this. It's very different than a lot of other perfumes which is something i like. I can't wear it everyday, but wheni do, i always get noticed.

L'amoureux
L'amoureux

Not bad, but I wouldn't spend the money they're asking for. It's a very peculiar and artifical- not worth it.

Heverton
Heverton

Coney Island is the perfect scent for those who live in coastal areas and enjoy a typical summer day! Always inspired in typical scenarios of New York, the fashion house Bond No. 9 has created with this fragrance the precise combination of what at first seems very unlikely for a summer scent: a fruity opening with a gourmand heart, portraying in the form of aromas, the story of a pleasant and enjoyable day at the beach.

At first we have the arrived to the beach, specifically in a kiosk where the seller is quietly cutting off pieces of extremely fresh melon and guava, and this is exactly the right flavor associated to the very first spray of Coney Island. A very bright and evident note of melon and guava, which from the start are already being accompanied by the typical smell of a salty sea breeze thanks to the presence of a margarita note in the composition of this fragrance.

After about 20 minutes, this initial aroma is gone. Now you have accommodated yourself and your sense of smell with the scent of salty sea air. In fact, you are so at ease that even that child beside you eating a huge bar of chocolate in the heat does not bother you, and in Coney Island this unusual transition between the opening and the heart does not really bothers since it disappears as fast as it came, leaving space back to the star of the fragrance, the melon. Here the fruit seems to have been soaked in a sugar syrup leaving a great impression that lasts until the end.

At the end of the day you return home with your shorts, shirt and sunglasses and together with this outfit, you bring back all the combination of flavors from the start of the day, because Coney Island despite being a summer scent, has a longevity and projection that far surpasses many scents that fall into this category.

Finally, a very easy to use fragrance, specially on hot days and that suits all ages, from teenagers seeking attention to the most elderly, after all, everyone deserves a good vacation on the beach at least once a year!

minty
minty

This one is so alike (L'Eau par Kenzo) on me.
I don't like it but not hate it also .
It is fresh, floral. Not oriental vanilla at all. Stays long.

cybergoth
cybergoth

i just got this cologne and i love it. it has a very fresh smell to it best to wear in the fall in winter i would give this a 10 in my book its just lovely

tanbleu
tanbleu

Bond No. 9 Coney Island.
There are a couple reviews below that I agree with as far as this scent goes, so I will try and not be repetitive.
Keep in mind that fragrance, like taste in clothing, cars, art and so on, is a personal opinion, so although there may be a negative review against this scent, to you, it may be your new favorite. Don't be put off from getting a sample and giving it a try, you never know.
On to the review:
This fragrance is very unusual. There is nothing like it available that comes close to the unique properties of Coney Island. Fragrantica left out a note in the composition that I feel is extremely important to this fragrance, and without knowing it, you loose the feeling of what this scent really smells like. I will copy directly from the Bond No. 9 website the note breakdown:
Margarita mix, melon guava, cinnamon, chocolate, caramel, musk, vanilla, cedarwood, sandalwood.
Fragrantica did not include Margarita Mix in the note breakdown, and I'm surprised at that because that is the note that is first encountered when you experience this scent.

When first sprayed upon my skin, I immediately think of "lime" essence (Margarita Mix-Top Note). It is not a soft opening, but very sharp and catches your attention. Once the fragrance settles down on the skin and mixes with the wearer's natural oils, the Melon/Guava notes come into play. These fruity/citrusy notes balance out the tart Margarita opening. Not a long time after, the Middle Notes of this fragrance start to appear (the Caramel notes). This lasts quite a long time (hours), and all the while it never completely looses that fantastic sharp opening. That is one thing I love about this scent. Each layer of the notes blends with the next, they are never completely replaced or lost, but enhanced or softened. The last note that I detect is the Chocolate. It creates a background/depth to the fragrance. If I sprayed Coney Island in the morning after I showered, carried on with my day, and went to bed, the next morning there would be this lovely trace of chocolate still lingering, and it is fantastic. The other notes listed: Cinnamon, Musk, Vanilla and Cedar & Sandalwood are not immediately prominent at any point within the scent (maybe the vanilla appears with the caramel a little), however these additional notes are definitely in the composition somewhere. I could only explain it as the way the fragrance never looses structure. Even when some notes soften, these remaining notes keep the balance of this unusual but superbly designed fragrance.

One aspect of this fragrance that should be mentioned is “Where should/can I wear this scent?” Because of the great variety of notes, and the unusualness of the scent, this parfum can be used anytime of the year, during the daytime or the nighttime. It all depends on “how you wear it”. Meaning that I loved spraying this scent on myself during my vacation to the Riviera Maya in Mexico. I was sipping my frozen Margarita, looking at the beautiful water and beach, and smelling exactly like what I was experiencing and how I was feeling. On the other hand, last month when I was in New York City, I went clubbing. Of course I lavishly applied the scent. The fun night of dancing and drinking and living it up in the city was the perfect storyline for the Bond No. 9 Coney Island scent that I was wearing. Multiple people would turn their heads as I walked by or danced near, as they caught a piece of the amazing scent that I was wearing. This scent is multi-talented in that it can be used in many locations and occasions and does it with perfect flair.
After finishing up all my samples I purchased the 3.4 oz. bottle, and I finally can enjoy what I now consider my Signature scent.
Thank you to the brilliant perfumers at Bond No. 9 for creating a scent that I consider “my personality, bottled”. ;)

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Based on the notes, I should love this but...there is something I'm getting here that I'm not enjoying. It has a distinct ocean smell/ seeweedy escence that creeps up on you that is really not pleasant (eau de Coney Island?). A bad rep is hard to shake.lol

Trpoical top notes evolves quickly to...lots of lime, which right away says Summer! But...where is the carmel and dark chocolate?

Sillage good and great length, which, depending on your tolerance, can be a mixed blessing.

This scent is ripe for blending. When I figure the right one I will update.

So, be wise and sample before slapping the plastic down for the full size.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I'm beginning to think that these Bond perfumes are yet another annoying thing to be associated with 'The City', kind of like Carrie Bradshaw and sex, Al Brokaw and gastric bypass, and The Donald and bad comb overs.

Coney Island actually grabbed my interest with the opening, which has a nice citrus woodsy vibe. I'm drawn to it in the same strange way that I'm drawn to Black Orchid, it has a similar feel to me.

But this gets sweet really quickly, and despite enjoying it for an afternoon I don't think I would like a full bottle. I do recommend sampling, though. This is far less harsh than most gourmands I've come across.

miss_piggy
miss_piggy

Wow! I've never smelled a perfume so hideous and long lasting as this in my life. This is worse than TM Eau De Star. It's like the stench of people on the streets who haven't showered in like forever, covered in seaweed... with obnoxious undertones of the most toxic smelling church incense imaginable. I can't wait to wash myself. (I wore it all day, and it was atrocious all the way through!) So far, the only Bond No. 9 that I'm unable to like at all.

Bond no 9 CONEY ISLAND is such a quirky creation that it virtually cries out for hermeneutical analysis. Caveat lector...

The acidic saline citrus opening evokes memories of one thing and one thing alone: the salty rim of a large margarita glass. The frosty blended green slush inside is strong and invigorating and, like an unexpected slap across the face, it leads quickly to a marked change in view to...

a trip to a white sandy, wind-whipped beach, where vanilla ice cream cones are dripping faster than the children can lick them. The waffle cookie shell is slightly sweet and crunchy, shimmering in the sun, and the outer coating of chocolate is dark and sumptuous, softening slowly in the heat. Gleaming caramel swirls meander throughout the vanilla cream, yet somehow the ocean nearby keeps it all still salty, as though a white frothy wave splashed up on the eater's face as she prepared to take a bite, and a light mist of seawater sprayed into her mouth.

Later, exhausted by the day's fun, it's time to sit and watch the setting sun, as darkness threatens quietly to descend. One by one the people begin to wander slowly through dimly lit labyrinthine paths back to their beds, where they will fall asleep and forget all of their worries and problems for a time. Lingering sweetness and light will fill their heads like a beatific vision, and they will dream only of salty caramels dusted with unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa as they drift gently away to an unreachable realm where there are no Blackberries or cellphones, and no one is asking anyone to follow them on Twitter. Only little Bo-peeps exist along with infinitely many miniscule sheep dotting the screen of the dreamer's shimmering green visual horizon like tiny white flower blossoms, bright stars illuminating the vast galaxy beyond.

But what, in the end, does it all mean? you may ask.
Your guess is as good as mine!

mocha43
mocha43

Got my sample and have tried it three times. The first time it was citrus, citrus, citrus-And not in a good way but a lemon pledge way. Second time I was able to smell some sea and salt but the lemon pledge factor was still there. Third time citrus, citrus, citrus- and not in a good way. I just did not smell all those lucious notes promised in the notes listed.

milkyway
milkyway

bought it in Harrolds because absolutely loved the smell..as soon as applied it the next day regreted it :( tried again a couple of days later- same result..
too sweet, too musky..musk+cinnamon was a tough combination to wear..

jazz444
jazz444

A very laid-back, playful scent. Intense guava and caramel notes play on my skin for hours. Musk and vanilla eventually show up to extend the joy of wearing CI.

With all its gourmand and fruity notes, it sounds like it could be a mishmash, but it's anything but! When I travel, I always pack Coney Island because it is calming, fun, and always provokes a smile from me.

Tam
Tam

Bond No 9 is difficult to get in the UK so I've had to order it online from fragrance net. Coney Island was worth the wait - it is a dreary, dark, cold day here in London and the smell of this has transported me to being by the sea on a hot sunny day. It is the smell of good times. Love this one - unfortunately I'm going to get through the expensive bottle I got very quickly..

Kankuro
Kankuro

If you read the notes for Coney Island, you will think it is a very sweet gourmand like A*MEN or Rochas Man, but Coney Island is not a cloying and sweet fragrance. Coney Island is a gorgeous fragrance for summertime!

In the beginning I get strong citrus along with salty notes and some melon. At first I didn't liked it, but then I recognized that there is more than just citrus and melon. In the background I can smell some sugary notes, like a caipirinha or a margarita. Then, after a few minutes, an intense and pleasant orange note appears.

After 3 or 4 hours I can detect the woods and vanilla. Coney Island dries down to a soft fragrance and is ideal for everyone who wants a fresh and unique summer fragrance with great lasting power!

zohar
zohar

u guys going to love this one i just cant stop smelling this

guest_zohar
guest_zohar

fun fun fun

redmosaic
redmosaic

Have to slow down, I bought a big bottle 2 weeks ago and already 1/5th used, love love love it, this crazy salty citrussy vanilla-y weird but good smell. Much stronger than Chinatown, certainly not as classically feminine as that one, but to me, more wacky, summery, joyful, and unique. I adore this perfume!

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

A gorgeous fragrance for a hot day .I mostly get the citrus notes.

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

I got a sample of this today, and while I don't hate it, I don't really LOVE it like I thought I would when I first read the notes. I put it on my right hand. It is kinda growing on me, though

mariotgomez

I have had this EdP in my collection since May 2008. I have come enjoy it and the different ways it blends with my skin.

Today I received a complement from a co-worker who dislikes fragrances. He came into my office to ask "What are you wearing, it reminds me of the ocean and it's brings up happy childhood memories." I told him it was Coney Island and he ask me to write it down so he can get some.

I alway enjoy being able to make some one smile, especially if it is by a fragrance I am wearing.

mariotgomez

For those who enjoy this fragrance but looking to change it up a little, mix it with Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue.

I was inspired by a dessert a friend made: Creme Brule with bits of course Black Volcanic Salt.

The end result is you are left with the creaminess of the sweet vanilla cream brule (AW: Lexington Ave: from a sample) with hints of saltiness (Coney Island).

guest_Lokidoll
guest_Lokidoll

I smell the lime very strong, smells just like a margarita. For me the smell stays basically the same. It lasts for a long time, but still smells citrusy at the end of the day.
I think it is best for summer days.

wegmann
wegmann

very good for the summer.
fresh and spicy scent.
nothing smells like this, it is very unique and reconiziable as one of it,s kind. fantastic lasting power you don,t have to use to much

mariotgomez

Each time I wear this fragrance I get a different experience.

Smelling it from the bottle or on a blotter paper, you get a lime scent. Just like a wedge of lime being squeezed into a margarita drink. The lime scent disappears fast.

Today, after about 15 minutes, I am getting hints of melon covered with caramel. Yummy, I am getting hungry.

After the warm down, its has a tropical fruit smell(guava) mixed with sandalwood, vanilla and amber. No cedar notes today.

Most of the Bond No.9 fragrance can be found on their website or at Saks Fifth Avenue Department Stores.

mariotgomez

I would consider this fragrance a light and fun scent to wear. The first notes that are appearant are those of a Top Self Margarita drink. It does have a nice warm down. Some times it is a little spicey (cinnamon and vanilla), other times a light musky cedar warm down.

Coney Island by Bond No 9 3.57 out of 5 based on 306 ratings and 78 user reviews

Coney Island Perfume by Bond No. 9, 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Coney Island Perfume by Bond No. 9, 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Perfume.com
Coney Island Perfume by Bond No. 9 - 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Coney Island Perfume by Bond No. 9 - 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
BOND NO. 9 CONEY ISLAND for UNISEX by Bond No. 9 EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.3 OZ TESTER
Bond No. 9 Coney Island Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Bond No. 9 New York 'Coney Island' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 New York 'Coney Island' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 New York 'Coney Island' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz
Bond No. 9 New York 'Coney Island' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 Coney Island fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 Coney Island, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Coney Island by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Coney Island by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.