Designers » B » Oriental « Groups

Fire Island Bond No 9 for women and men
dislike

tuberose
Fire Island Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures

The warm, golden-yellow colored bottle carries a sun in its middle, indicating that this is a fragrance dedicated to beach, laying the clothes aside and giving up to the sun rays. Near New York, about 90 km away from the center of the city, there is the Fire Island where the New Yorkers spend their weekends enjoying beaches and vacation. Dedicated to the sun, this perfume warms us with sweet spicy cardamom and ozone. The heart is made of fresh sweet neroli and white musk, and the base is formed of musk, leather, honey, sensual tuberose and patchouli. Michael Almairac is the creator of this oriental unisex perfume. It has been on the market since 2006 and it is available in 50 and 100 ml bottles.     The nose behind this fragrance is Michel Almairac.

Cardamom Neroli White Musk Tuberose Patchouli

Beach
Velvet Sublime

Fire Island Fragrance Reviews

trippy
trippy

inside an air conditioned tube train this wonderful scent brings everybody to the seaside ...all has been said..this is one great scent...all the haters out there can always spend their money on anything else!
this is a winner!

edsex
edsex

People reviewing this clearly never been to the beach or know what suntan lotion smells like, this is just a synthethic floral, terrible fragrance smells nothing like the beach or suntan lotion. But hey you go keep listening to those fools like mymyickers and every other dumbass on the youtube that know nothing about fragrances.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

Nothing in the first 3 hours but hairspray and I'm gagging it's so strong. Gently turns to neroli with a buttered toast veil. Like wearing gaultier classique at breakfast. Where's the sun warmed bodies? Dunno

Daniela_Beatriz
Daniela_Beatriz

Yes, it does smell Coppertone-y and that's amazing. It is very comfortable to wear, very flowery, long lasting but not overpowering. Unisex, no doubt. Perfect for summer, but it is winter and I'm wearing it anyway. Brings back good memories! :)

dezaval
dezaval

Could anyone, please, answer if Fire Island reminds him/her of suntan lotion Ambre Solaire from the 90s? Thank you!

jtd
jtd

Fire Island by Bond no 9 has an implicit goal: to emulate a memory of euro-sun tan lotion. It succeeds. It’s funny that this scent memory can be generalized. Fire Island doesn’t smell like any particular brand of sun tan lotion, but on smelling it, I instantly recognized the qualities that make up the lotion notion.

For those too young to remember the days of fostering skin cancer skin cancer by laying in the sun and baking, Fire Island is a creamy, musky sweet floral of no particular consequence. But for us old folks, Fire Island is the second-hand smoke of the perfume industry. Aaahhhh, the good-old, bad-old days.

An interesting scent, full of allusions and triggers from a smart perfumer, Michael
Almairac.

from scenthurdle.com

Travis453
Travis453

You could probably save money by taking a bath in coppertone and sitting on the beach all day. However if you don't have the luxury of being able to do that, just buy this and for the day you can pretend you have been doing that all day. Certainly something that will put a smile on your face!

butterbean
butterbean

Keeps me wanting to sniff.

A lovely watery and very fresh scent. (there has to be ozone in this)

I had no idea it had patchouli in it when I first smelled it and tried it out. It is very very mild because - I cannot distinguish it as a patchouli fragrance. I probably would not have purchased this if it smelled like a "patchouli" scent.

As far as the Suntan lotion debate - To me I do not smell Fire Island and think it smells of sunscreen/suntan lotion (Coppertone brand or Ban de Soleil)- no, not at all.

What I do smell - is aquatic, summery, beachy fresh and is something lightly floral about it. I think maybe tuberose, or neroli? (I am sniffing on me -- as I write this) It is very well blended.

As for smelling like Bobby Brown Beach - yes it does - and it is almost identical. However, that said, in a side by side Bobby Brown vs Fire Island test off -- Bobby Brown is the loser, as it is lost on Fire Island. Fire Island is stronger, longer lasting and all around smells better. Test for yourself and you will see.

Edit - I have been wearing for 3 days straight now - and it has gotten 3 compliments - 1 each day by different people. Each different person was shocked that it was perfume - and all three had the same comment, "you smell very nice and fresh."

Glad I purchased!

Meister
Meister

It's great summertime fragrance. Very strong neroli mixed with white floral note - to me it smells like jasmine. I agree that wearing this fragrance you can feel like on vacation (laying on the beach and sunbathing after swimming in the sea). The association with sun lotion is correct. It's very happy/positive fragrance, but due to the strong jasmine note I think It's more feminine.

yazounet
yazounet

HEAVEN!!!!! I WANT THIS. Suntan lotionesque but more tuberose and sand and sun and ocean in a lovely bottle

nielK nivlaC

I normally like these types of beachy/fresh/clean scents, but this came off as synthetic & harsh. The fragrance takes a turn for the worst after the somewhat pleasant opening. I just didn't find this blended very well... or maybe it's the note composition that just isn't for me to be fair.

If you like this fragrance or are looking for a better alternative for this similar type of scent, try Irene Neuwirth Barneys New York exclusive (see fragrance for review).

chrissyc15
chrissyc15

I just got my sample of this juice in and really wanted to love this. I do get the suntan lotion that everyone is talking about. However; I get more of a chemical smell that smells similar to the stuff my grandmother use to perm her hair with. So to me, it smells like my grandmother slathering on suntan lotion. :( I REALLY wanted to get this one too! :(

Shoota#1
Shoota#1

I like this scent. Good one for men or women. It made me feel as though I'm on a beach that's for sure. Good lasting power and I wore this in 30 degree weather. Nice change up from the norm.

scratchnsniff29
scratchnsniff29

Upon first spray I'm getting the sun block that everyone's talking about and then towards the middle of the dry down its very floral. It kind of makes me feel like I'm in Hawaii on the beach and that I'm wandering around the island smelling exotic flowers. Then when it dries down for some strange reason it smells like spicey pineapples on my skin, which is strange because the fruit isn't even listed in the notes. I can't see anyone wearing this for any season besides summer. Overall its a casual and fun scent for those hot and steamy days.

dayzaway99
dayzaway99

wore it to work on a hot sticky night. It smells like sun block, copper tone brand, I mean just like it, its slightly sweet. It permeates nicely. As i got to working and sweating a little bit, it smelled like sweet cinnamon buns. Very appetizing. After the dry down it smelled more floral ? i guess or like a chemical slew of sweet tinges and cream. It was okay. i gave it to my sister, but i am yet to smell her wearing it.

NikkiChantel
NikkiChantel

Ok, so I am not sure if I like this one or not. Wore it to work and someone said it was too strong. One of the guys said it smelled just like sunscreen but I think the cardamon is really vibrant on this fragrance. I didn't receive any compliments on it but no complaints either. I am glad I just ordered a bon bon and not a whole bottle. The longevity and sillage were pretty good but I think I like BB Beach better. When summer hits I might try it again.

parfumeguru
parfumeguru

Okay. I am not as experienced and educated as some of you parfumistas,,but here is my review about Fire Island.

Thanks to the helpful Nordstrom lady, I got some samples including this one. Fire Island initially reminds me of "Dune"..the drydown is definitely very similar to Lilly Pulitzer-Beach (the blue bottle).

Overall,I think it is not bad. But, I do not like/love it enough to pay for its ridiculously high price. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I smell my wrist after 5 hours or so, it totally smells like Zara Rose which is like Narciso Rodriguez. Interesting..

jpgaud61
jpgaud61

WOW! Beach in a bottle!

Not just the beach, but the ocean, sea shells and sea gulls as well. It's the whole package. This is a delightfully evocative, distinctly summertime fragrance, but this powerful Eau De Parfum nearly gives me a headache after wearing it for a couple hours.

Fire Island projects like a foghorn's blast upon application and has tremendous staying power on me.

Fire Island is a very high quality fragrance and one of the most unusual, distinctive, niche fragrances in my collection. I find that women love this scent when I wear it.

One whiff, and I am literally at the beach with it's Coppertone/Pina Colada/ozonic-blended aromas.

I'm trying to inoculate myself to this fragrance a little at a time. Hopefully, I can eventually wear this animal without a runny nose.

darcy2
darcy2

I tested this today with my husband and we both LOVE it. Again, this is probably an association thing, we both spent a great deal of time at the beach as children, slathered in Coppertone. I was instantly transported to that rather rocky beach on Long Island Sound where we went almost every day each summer. Throw in some seagulls screeching in the background and and a good humor man and I would have been there. As previously stated, this is not Coppertone out of the bottle, but the whole beach, the ozonic smell of the sea. It instantly lifted my spirits, as we are having almost record rainfall here in the Southeast for weeks. The sillage was rather close to the skin, and the longevity was not as long as a lot of other Bond No. 9 fragrances, which was a little disappointing. Maybe I'll layer it with Coppertone!

kazewayz
kazewayz

A beautiful floral fragrance. Reminds me of summer time. It smells identical to sun block lotion, and that's fine with me. Longevity is great, projection is moderate. It is unique. I liked it. Try it.

hemp
hemp

I just got a bon bon sample of fire island in the mail and to me it smells nothing like the beach or suntan lotion at all. It just smells like a feminine white floral citrus scent. Maybe the beach smells different in the usa than it does in australia. Im glad i didnt blind buy a full bottle!

pookerella
pookerella

I buy very few of these Bond fragrances because they are so expensive, but on eBay, there is always someone who has grown tired of their 3.3 ounce bottle and is willing to part with it for $75.

That's how I got Fire Island.

It tends to smell just like any "beach smells" fragrance, but the quality of the ingredients puts it over the top. The "fresh air accord" or ozone as some of you call it, is usually achieved with a combo of white flowers. They look for what will go straight up your nose to your brain. They don't use a lot, but it seems to work.

I'm not a big fan of the ones that are JUST OZONE and do not include the Coppertone Suntan lotion accord. This one has that, it's not overly sweet and you will get compliments wherever you go.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

At first spritz, the very beach-y suntan lotion scent instantly puts a smile on your face. It starts exactly like how you want a beach type fragrance to be. I just wish it stayed that way. As it warms, while remaining fairly linear, it takes on this really synthetic floral note that has a bitterness to it. It matures the fragrance in a manner that takes away the sweet, creamy element much to my dismay. Too bad, I really wanted to love it.

antfarm
antfarm

Fire Island smells like suntan lotion, but not like suntan lotion straight from the bottle. It has this brilliant quality where it smells like suntan lotion that's heated up by the sun and absorbed into your skin, which I find to be pretty impressive. As a pale, freckled woman who gets queasy when she hears the words "cruise" or "tanning", I am so far from being a beach babe... in other words, this is a nice fragrance but I won't be getting a bottle.

freddinos
freddinos

Just received a 'bon bon' sample of Fire Island today.Upon unwraping the packaging, its smell immediately struck me, and I thought 'this is it!' Having looked everywhere for a beach scent (my reviews say it all!) I figured I found what I've been searching for: the rich, high society sister of the low key, nature lover At the beach 1966 and Bobbi Brown's girl next door Beach. I dabbed it on and waited for the teletransportation to the beach to start. It opens as a bold floral, thankfully without jasmine, and almost after that the cardamom kicks in. It gave me the impression of a scent that's just about to turn aquatic, but never really does. The base notes are unisex and the cardamom is still present at the drydown. It did have a beachy effect on me, but not what I was hoping for. But then again, the smell of summer very much depends on where you spent your summers, and I never did spent mine in the US... I should have listened to Elena Vosnaki from the Perfume Shrine when she said that the smell of sunscreen and the beach is a cultural thing, and very different between Europe and the US. Apparently Europeans used Piz Buin, Ambre Solaire and Nivea whereas Americans preferred Coppertone, and the smell is very different between all of these! Hence my search for the bottled mediterranean summer scent is still on...

Yiyiblue
Yiyiblue

I used a sample to dab this on, not spray. I immediately loved it and decided to re dab so that I could get a really good sense of all the notes! First impression was of sun tan lotion with a slight whiff of the incense that they used to burn in Izumi's on 86th street in NYC. After a half hour the impression has softened, but the heart is still there. I would definitely wear this at the end of winter when I am ready for summer to be here. Very work friendly if worn lightly. A less expensive alternative for me might be Jennifer Aniston.

texmich
texmich

This stuff is bomb, chics dig this stuff.Smells like the bathroom when your girlfriend just finished getting ready to go out. Got makeup, chic perfume, flowers, femine kind of opening. just stick with it, The dry down is nice!!! Its a nice tan oil scent that smells like you walked off the beach. This girl i was talking to from florida was like , you smell like being home at the beach. Great summer guy fragrance for someone who doesnt care what people think, just gotta be confident when you rock this stuff and the girls will love it.

aaronr0ndale
aaronr0ndale

love this scent. reminds me of when i lived in San Diego.

chance25
chance25

There's something in this scent that makes me feel sick and nauseous. It smells like a faint perfumed yogurt that's turned sour. It wafts up now and then and it's a sickly smell. I thought it may be a hormone thing, but after a few trial and errors, it's not. For a beach type scent I like BB Beach, Privet Bloom or Aqua Motu. Thumbs down for Fire Island.

ab2_suburbanites
ab2_suburbanites

Reminds me of Paul Sebastian's "Design".

kbro4897
kbro4897

Scent 7/10
Projection 6/10
Longevity 4/10
Value 2/10
Overall 19/40

Nice scent, but not worth the money. Only lasts 4-5 hours on my skin. "At The Beach 1966" by CB I Hate Perfume is a better beach fragrance at half the price.

caseyu
caseyu

this smells NOTHING like any of the "smells like"... above. very clean, watery, but not sterile like Bobby Brown's empty beach. fresh and beachy without any fruity libations! excellent.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

Although many reviews claim that this one smells like suntan lotion, I found it to be a nice fragrance focused on the neroli and musk notes. It does bring to my mind the image of beaches and people playing beach volley, but not as vivid as I expected it to be.

Angel10
Angel10

So very disappointed! I thought it was going to be strong & lovely and take me away to the summer! Very bland, smells a little like Bain de Soliel, as I remember BdS being more buttery & sweet, and I used the stuff. Not very long lasting, smells like a faint flowery toilet water.

Dmitriy
Dmitriy

Bloody horrible-smells like soap and washing machine detergent.

It smells like a nice, creamy, and expensive sun tan lotion with a trace of something like tuberose or jasmine, which I am not sure. it's definitely not something I would invest $$$ into even though the bottle is actually one of the nicest. Let's try Hampton next?

myolderbrother
myolderbrother

The notes in this are blended well but the predominant note that lingers andddd lingers is cardamon, which is a very odd loud note in a beachy fragrance. I was expecting to adore this and I actually am giving my large sample away!! As much as I seek out things to appreciate about 'interesting' fragrances, I cannot do that with this one!!! I might even call it a stinker!!!!
ok - the bottle still rocks though!!!!

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

Indeed, upon first sniff: "OH! Bain de Soleil! I LOVE the scent of Bain de Soleil!" "Fire Island" has that same almost-too-sweet-and-humid mashing of orange flowers and solar musk, but sheerer, spicier undertones (The ozone? Leather?) keep it grounded. This really is skin in the sun warm--and yes, that fresh, elegant, yet salty/musky suntan gelee scent is evident throughout; however, I'd even suggest going further back in time, to the early days of "Jean Patou" and "Chaldee". There is a hazy warmth to "Fire Island" that brings to mind tanned men playing tennis, with their "Eton Crop" haircuts and ribbed, white cotton shirts and shorts scented with orange flower and tuberose, the aesthetic of the 1930's sporting/sailing scene, as scents were becoming more streamlined and "primal" in their design (Think: The Art deco, crystalline "lines" of "Joy", stripped-down to an instinctual elegance that veered away from the over-dramatic oriental blends of the 1920s, hyacinth-based sporty blends meant to evoke the breeziness of the great outdoors with a hint of body sweat, scenting the sweaters of collegiate football players, rowers and tennis players, alike). "Fire Island" brings to mind that kind of leisurely, "Sun-Worshipping-in-Southern-France" brand of elegance. Skin oils, sheer white florals and sun, sun, sun. A great alternative to tanning.

Bond no 9 FIRE ISLAND is a different sort of oriental perfume. To start with, there is no vanilla or incense. The composition does have a strong and decisive development trajectory which leads from a thick ambery opening to a clean soapy-musk drydown, with neroli as a dominant floral note to my nose. There is a spiciness here, but it is complex. This is not a perceptibly cardamom-rich frag. Nor is this composition sweet--the honey is blended in so as to camouflage itself.

I know of no fragrance which bears any resemblance to FIRE ISLAND. But is it, as some have suggested, essentially the same fragrance as that used to scent Bain de soleil? I recall having used a few tubes of that glistening orange substance back in the twentieth century, before mass SPF hysteria arrived on the scene, but I am not sure that it smelled exactly like this edp. I will say that the texture seems similar to me: viscous, warm and sensual. If FIRE ISLAND does indeed smell exactly like Bain de soleil, then perhaps I should buy some of that gooey substance again!

Because of its strength and sillage, FIRE ISLAND seems best suited for walks on the beach in cooler weather, wearing sweaters and scarves to minimize the suffocation potential of this rich elixir. For some reason, FIRE ISLAND reminds me of when I went to Mallorca for Christmas a few years back. It was very odd: everyone was speaking German and wearing earmuffs at the beach!

mocha43
mocha43

This smells somewhat unpleasant on me. I am testing the "bon bons". It smells rather like comet sink cleanser. Definitely no go!

perfumemaniac
perfumemaniac

This also reminds me of Bain de Soleil. It conjured an image of the beach at first whiff but I like that it is not in the typical "tropical beachy scent" way. It's also interesting because it is a spicier fragrance, but seems most appropriate for warm weather.

mal23
mal23

This is defiantly a womens scent NOT a man's scent. It is very similar to Bonds West Side scent. Very floral and a little more interesting than West Side. It is not for me, being a man.

c3c
c3c

Fire Island is strangely comforting to me. At first it's almost so strong it gives me a headache, but not quite, and I like it so I can't bring myself to wash it off. After a bit it tones down.

Indeed it makes you think of beaches but not in the tropical/fruity/floral way. In the way a beach really smells if surrounded by palm trees, maybe some Hala, but a lush green backdrop. Peaceful and muggy, just enough of a breeze, sitting in the shade, low waves crashing on a sandy shore gently broken by rocks.

This is my first Bond perfume, now I have to search out the others!

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

Oh, it's wonderful! It does remind me of white sandy beaches, and basking in the sun! It's bright and sexy, and a little intoxicating. I really like that it lacks the coconut that so many "beachy" fragrances have.

mandi
mandi

this is one of the most unique scents i've ever smelt. it is the only unisex scent that (so far) appeals to me.

it is so very long lasting and everytime i wore it someone would ask me what i was wearing.

i love it and i often stole spray's of it from my mom's vanity.

would really like to own a bottle but it is very difficult to find in my country.

FeFe2009

I love this fragrance on me. It smells fresh and clean.

FeFe2009

I love this scent, it lasts a long time and smells great. This scent gears more towards the ladies side. But, I havent smelled it on a man yet.

Kankuro
Kankuro

WOW, this fragrance is gorgeous! It reminds me of the beach, suntan oil and the ocean. Fire Island is unique!

In the beginning, I can smell a very strong, spicy and sexy note, which calms down to a suntan oil note. Spray it on, and you're at the beach, you can see the sun and hear the waves of the oceans.

There is a little similarity to Bobbi Brown's Beach, but Fire Island is more like a spicy and sexy suntan oil, and Beach smells like a cheap and medicinal suntan oil.

megannsmom
megannsmom

I was testing this one today, and decided I really liked the scent....the fresh yet warm spicy/musky thing it has going for it is great. But it smelled SO familiar! Then I read the reviews and it smacked me in the face; Bain de Soleil! Yes! It isn't exact, but the effect is the same. I still like it, for the comfort of the scent and the pleasant memories of the summers of my teen years....sigh!

mariotgomez

Since my last entry, I gave my sample away to a female co-worker.

Several days later, I went up to her to ask what she was wearing and to my surprise she said "It's the sample of Fire Island you gave me."

She told me on the way to work, "for some reason I had this song in my head, do you remember the Bain de Soleil commercial?" I started to laugh and explained to her about the fragrance.

On her, the neroli, white musk and patchouli blended so beautifully. It also did remind me of Bain de Soleil Orange gelee.

I will have to give Fire Island another try.

mariotgomez

I have tried this fragrance several times and just can't seem to get over how much it reminds me of hairspray.

I read the description and looked forward to the scent of European suntan lotion (Bain de Soleil). I always used the Orange gelee when tanning because I just love the smell.

Although it does smell like salt water, the ozone notes are to overpowering to enjoy the other notes.

I am a big fan of Bond No. 9 fragrance, but this one will not be in my collection anytime soon. But I have not yet written it off.

Fire Island by Bond No 9 3.63 out of 5 based on 226 ratings and 53 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 Fire Island fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 Fire Island, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Fire Island by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Fire Island by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.