Designers » B » Oriental Woody « Groups

New Haarlem Bond No 9 for women and men

New Haarlem Bond No 9 for women and men
dislike

coffee

New Haarlem by Bond No 9 is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. New Haarlem was launched in 2003. The nose behind this fragrance is Maurice Roucel. Top notes are lavender, bergamot and green leaves; middle notes are coffee and cedar; base notes are amber, vanilla, tonka bean and patchouli.

Lavender Bergamot Green Leaves

New Haarlem Fragrance Reviews

hedward
hedward

New Haarlem vs. Rochas Man

I'm doing a side by side comparison. New Haarlem opens up with straight up maple suryp with the slightest hint of medicinal lavender. The lavender gives it a cologneish and aftershave type of masculine character which blends oddly but perfectly with the suryp. Rochas Man on the other hand opens much more tame with a fruity citrus top.

Now, New Haarlem undergoes a drastic transform from sticky sweet maple suryp to bitter freshly brewed black coffee with a vanillic floral undertone. RM on the other hand preserves it's fruity quality and only sweetens up to a powdery coffeeish scent which seems MUCH more feminine than NH. Also RM has a slight soapy/musky undertone (mostly neroli) that gives it a very synthetic feel.

Few hours in New Haarlem develops an odd smokey spicy quality that differentiates it dramatically from Rochas Man. I myself am very fond of this smokiness that's in NH because it sharpens the scent and gives it a sexy manly quality that aligns itself perfectly between the soft sweet vanilla and bitter coffee conjuring a rather dark chocolate type of vibe. RM on the other wrist already has lost it's character to the overpowering vanilla. Also further into the drydown of NH the cedar becomes evident lending a surprisingly fresh woodsy quality - like a second opening of top notes!

Now, are New Haarlem and Rochas Man similar? Yes and no. They share the same coffee-lavender combo (also found in Eisenbergs J'ose) that is very distinct and easy to pick up. But like said Rochas Man is indeed very synthetic whereas New Haarlem has some real character to it that simply cannot be achieved without natural ingredients. E.g the coffee in NH is so real it's almost like smelling freshly grinded beans. In other words: RM goes more through the safe soapy floral road while NH plays on the spicy, smokey and bitter side of coffee.

Now the big questions:
Are both NH and RH worth owning simultaneously? Yes definitely, Rochas is a cheap daytime scent which can be easily used on every occasion, even in the summer. NH is a strong more distinct scent with a huge sillage, it's much more ballsy and will get one noticed for sure. NH is not suitable for summer and leans more towards the nighttime, date and clubbing use.
Is RH a cheaper alternative of NH? No, absolutely not. It's like saying Legend is an alternative to Aventus because they share a pineapple note.

Rochas Man - feminine, sweet, floral, musky and soapy vanillic mocha. Low sillage, moderate longevity. Low price.

Smell 7/10 x 2
Longevity / Potency 6/10
Versatility 9/10
Complexity 5/10
x2

Overall score 70/100

New Haarlem - bitter, dark, sweetish, chocolatey, spicy, smokey coffee. Strong sillage, monstrous longevity (3 days). High price.

Smell 9,5/10 x 2
Longevity / Potency 10/10
Versatility 7/10
Complexity 8/10
x2

Overall score 88/100

tamarababa
tamarababa

So much coffee, so much vanilla, slightly overwhelming on the long run.

subhan08
subhan08

This is the only fragrance that I blind bought that smelled exactly like I imagined it. Right of the top it smells very sweet syrupy, maple syrup and french toast. In england we don't have that sort of breakfast but I can truly relate to what its meant to smell like, Pancakes, french toast and syrup. That said, it is a very pleasing smell to any gourmand lover. If you own and love A*Men, chances are you are going to love this.

Whit
Whit

I finally got a sample of this and oh my Lord! If you're a gourmand lover, you must try it! I agree with the vast majority that say say it smells like maple syrup pancakes. I do gets wafts of the lavender which keeps it from being too foody. I don't get much coffee or vanilla, or it could be the combo of the notes giving me the maple syrup aroma. The sillage and longevity are very good, lasting through several hand washings (I spray my wrists when testing).

Wearing this made me feel warm and cozy, like snuggling up in a warm blanket with a good book. I've added this to my want list because I do love my gourmands. If you're craving a sweet, unique frag, give this one a try.

MonaThorbourne

This is the BOMB! Absolutely LOVE this. Totally my favorite. Will definately be buying a second bottle. Coffee maple syrup pancakes. OH MY GOODNESS.... if you are a gourmand lover, this is a MUST try and definately worth the money <3

elisnewthing

i love this smell i even have a bottle just can never fid the right time to wear it.....

Nosey49
Nosey49

When I first developed my passion for fragrance about four years ago, I began my journey to find my "it." Of course, that is never going to happen. What has happened though, is that I've found that what I considered excellent in the beginning of my search has changed drastically with the discovery of new and better fragrances.

One of my first purchases was Michael Jordan Legend. Nice and sweet and to my inexperienced nose, a fantastic scent, one of the best. Then, based on the hype, I tried New Haarlem and discovered it was a clone of Legend but perhaps a tiny bit better. So I purchased a bottle of New Haarlem and continued to purchase samples and try different fragrances.

What I can say about New Haarlem today is that, while the scent is great, I have rarely used it. It's as if it begins to wear on me after a few hours. I just get tired of smelling it.

Before purchasing, I would recommend a couple of good wears before purchasing New Haarlem.

If New Haarlem is out of your price range, I would recommend Legend without hesitation.

SDavis93
SDavis93

This is a very nice fragrance its a maple syrup and coffee mix with a light vanilla base. very unique scent good projection and longevity 7+ hours, 7.5/10

For those who work in a coffee shop or something similar probably will not appreciate this scent like most people, it reminds me of when i used to work at costa with that lingering coffee smell mixed with the smell of cakes and pastries, it might just remind you of work lol.

MonaThorbourne

After purchasing my first Bond No 9 fragrance from a member (Success is a Job in New York), I began reading reviews on other Bond No 9 fragrances. This one intrigued me, so I purchased a small bottle from eBay at a very good price. The first day when I sprayed it, I was not really loving it. Then the next day it got better. I am now into day 4 and I am loving it. A very unique smell and that's what makes me like it so much. I don't get any sweetness nor any vanilla. Straight out coffee for me. 10/10 for me.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

Even in colder days, this could be cloying. Too sweet for my taste.

CaCtuSCoffEE
CaCtuSCoffEE

So what I get out of this is basically just very strong and sweet maple syrup, there is some coffee in it, but it's in the background and serves as sort of a stabilizer for the sweetness, overall in my opinion, not a bad fragrance but way over-hyped

Rating: 6.5/10

Update*

After wearing this a couple more days, you kinda get use to this fragrance, and that strong syrup scent is no longer as strong, and I do get a little more vanilla out of it now, this fragrance has grown on me, and it lasts me all day

HighHeeledOne
HighHeeledOne

I loved the sweet smell of this coming straight out of the bottle, but didn't know if I'd actually like wearing it. I thought that I may tire of it quickly.

When I received a sample, I found that it smelled different on me than many other people experienced here.

The sweetness was muted (within a few minutes)and the coffee was much more pronounced. It morphed into a deeper uni-sex fragrance and lasted about 6-8 hours.

I can see what others are saying about the syrup, but since chemistry is the other part of the equation, sometimes you just have to try things yourself.

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

WOW! I cannot believe how disgusted I am with this. All it smells like is overly sweet maple syrup. My god, I didn't expect myself to hate it this much despite the hype it gets. Is it worth the money? Of course!... Not!

spartan
spartan

A Very high quality fragrance that smell exactly like coffee and maple syrup hotcakes. This smells great on women! In my opinion this juice is for women not Men, again just my opinion. I prefer and wear Rochas Man instead as it is more masculine, see my review on Rochas Man.
New Harlem wears you, you do not wear it.

10/10 Top shelf, however To Fem for me.

musclehead666
musclehead666

Smells exactly like a overload of maple syrup as a guy its really disgusting .

Yogamarc
Yogamarc

Wish I had acquired a sample of this first. It's maple buttery sweetness. Yeah - Great scent for a pancake or waffle house but not necessarily on a person. It's a delicious scent but not really something I'd care to wear. I think I'm just not so keen on the food frags. I've tried several now and although some smell very nice for what they are, I just don't want to smell that way. Verdict: This was a bit sticky sweet gross for me and not very masculine.

yunvme
yunvme

Starbucks Caramel Macchiato. Great foodie for the plate not the bod.

hemp
hemp

I blind bought this and ended up selling it. Smells like maple syrup flavoured honeycomb. No need to smell like that!!

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

FRENCH TOAST ANYONE?

OTT (over the top) gourmand.

Butter, maple syrup, vanilla, & coffee - I so much prefer to eat this than smell like this all day.

If I'm going for a gourmand with some similar notes - I'll choose Frapin's 1270.

ateghipc
ateghipc

Lackluster dry down, but delicious opening out through the next 3 hours. Love the citrus/lavender contrast with sweet notes. Certainly similar to Rochas man, but the discrepancy in quality is immediately apparent.

Dan England
Dan England

I currently have NH on the back of my left hand, and Pure Malt on the back of my right. These are the two I have narrowed down for my 'winter' fragrance. I live in San Diego, so winters are mild. I have to say that PM really smells like the niche fragrance against NH. PM has a darker, more complex side to it. Granted, my nose may not be too advanced, but NH gives me the coffee/syrup deal, and is too sweet for me to wear. The smell is amazing - They really nailed the gourmand thing, I just don't want to go to the bar smelling like that! I have two bonbons of the stuff (glad I didn't blind buy), so I'll continue to give it a full test. If anyone else has anything better for winter, let me know. It does smell like NH is going to beat PM on the longevity though...

Mikprittie
Mikprittie

yes it does smell like maple syrup and no coffee on me, really! but it also kind of get a lot of lavender and patchouli that makes me think its more directed toward men. hopefully it will not offend those who love this fragrance but i think this is how a breakfast in bed (pancakes and maple syrup with your man doused in his cologne) would smell like... i am not so sure i want to walk around smelling like that the whole day, even walking to the grocery store, but especially not at work.
Edit: sorry to say but the vanilla/patchouli after a while on my skin smells like a soap if i would put it nicely but worse comparison it smells like a bathroom cleanser/detergent, its what makes the spicy aftersmell like (if there is such a thing).

Rio~sswi
Rio~sswi

Really luv it but for those not really into this need times to think it first before buy it...Trust me it's gonna break ur bank~

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

Absolutely the longest lasting Bond I've tried! I sprayed itn12 hours ago, one spritz on each arm and one on the back of my neck. Here I am almost a half a day later and the drydown is steadily maintaining pace. It hasn't become so soft that I can't smell it on myself. It's still very detectable and yummy! I purposely did not reapply today just to see how long it could go before proofing out of existence. The answer is I still don't know. My guess is that it will still be noticeable the next morning after a whole days wear. And of course, the scent is fabulous! I finally got a bottle to call my own and it will be getting much attention this fall and winter.

freddinos
freddinos

Exactly like Rochas Man, with an extra maple syrup-coffee accord in the opening. Beautiful, when I wear it I smell like a wonderfully perfumed man, there are even moments when I forget its me that smells so heavenly and look for the man close to me with such a good taste in colognes:) Too masculine for my taste -being a woman-, I wish Bond brings us a true feminine coffee scent!
Until that time, my search for a coffee based perfume continues.

kris919
kris919

this didn't wow me like I thought it would. It's not as strong as everyone says it is, at least not on me. I got lots of lavender and bergamont at first for maybe an hour, which I didn't like. Then it turned into a maple syrup type of smell, but not loud or anything. It actually was pretty close to the skin with low sillage. I didn't even smell the coffee note...and that's what this scent is about, isn't it? The more I try Bond, the more I'm starting to lose my intrigue with them. good thing it came with a return label.

Scout
Scout

I wish the coffee lasted longer. It peaks in hours 1 and two and is gone by hour three. It kind of just melts into a vanilla tonka ride on the subway next to a guy who's wearing Old Spice. It's less like the steam from brewed or extracted coffee and more like the sticky milk and sugar table at Starbucks that has spilled sweetness all over it. I have had better luck spilling a black brew on my coat and smelling of coffee all day. Plus there's that common base kind of note that persists in many of the Bonds. Bravo for making a coffee scent; a hearty minus one for trying to make it soft and gentle. Some of us like our coffee fragrances like we like our coffee: deep, strong, rich, bold! :D

pdubrogers
pdubrogers

I've been looking for a coffee fragrance. Finally tried this, and love the top note!! Unlike anything I own, however, the drydown is too similar to Gucci PH. It must be the Tonka/Vanilla. This was an almost purchase - I highly recommend if you are looking for a gourmand/coffee frag.

samatl74
samatl74

I blind baught this frag after all the great reviews of it. Waiting for it in the mail for days twiddeling my thumbs in desperate anticipation to take a whiff of this heaven known as New Haarlem. It came in the mail...I am greeted by a beautiful presentation of a box with the beautiful logo and as I opened it there she was....like Ralphie's first touch of a red rider b.b. gun...I took a major whiff of some coffee beans that I had not to spoil any potential first impression I might have of it. As I sprayed it for the first time on my wrist..holding it away so it would settle on my skin..I ever so softly closed my eyes, took a whiff...it...it...it was Rochas Man! A more "refined" version of Rochas man...but Rochas Man nonetheless! It was nice, but it was not the Rockstar that I was waiting for...I was wanting waffles...I was wanting syrup...I was wanting breakfast in a bottle..I was wanting roasted coffee beans....I got..Rochas man. Anybody who says it does NOT smell like Rochas man is deceiving you and is deceiving themselves. It is a great scent, but if you have Rochas Man don't bother. It is toooo similar to Rochas to give a flip. Lession learned here, but it is still a beautiful fragrance. I am decanting this stuff for trade if anybody is interested. Let me know whatcha got and lets make a deal. Private message me thanks!

drakecito
drakecito

To me is the best cofee fragance out there.
Well, to me is the best Bond No9 fragance.
Very well blended with a touch of vanille, tonka and lavander.
I agree, sometimes seems to smell like maple syrup and is amazing.

Scent 8/10
Longevity 9/10
Sillage 8/10

merzeng
merzeng

این عطر بی نظیره. قهوه و وانیل رایحه های غالب این عطر هستند و یک عطر محرک و لذت بخش رو به وجود آوردن.استشمام این عطر به اندازه نوشیدن یک فنجون قهوه آرامش بخش و لذت بخشه. عاشق این بو هستم. ماندگاریش نسبتا زیاد و پخش رایحه متوسط رو به بالا داره

agnes0515
agnes0515

My husband bought Bond No. 9 New Haarlem for himself. After a little test on my skin I fell in love with it and since then it's mine. I am on my second bottle now and absolutely love it. Every place I go I get a lot of compliments about it.
Just awesome!

lalelu
lalelu

1 million is no gourmand dude .. its a piece of synthetic something :/

Ovrnightr
Ovrnightr

I picked this one up last Thursday, and have worn it each day since; it's simply fantastic, and has easily become one of my all-time favorites.

True, there is a very prominent coffee note, but just a word for those who find this off-putting. It's nothing like they coffee you'd drink from a cup, it's a *fragrant* coffee that is perfectly suitable for wear by male or female. My first impressions were that this would remind me of the days when I worked long shifts in a Dunkin Donuts, and the smell of coffee has fully adsorbed into my work clothes--no, it's nothing like that. It's a floral, spicy, sexy, delicious type of coffee fragrance, one that is meant to be worn, not drunk. Hope this clears things up for those who are considering trying it!!

A+ longevity
A+ sillage
A+ scent
A+ bottle

10/10, easily

oatcrust18
oatcrust18

One of the best sweet fragrances out there. I fell that I have to go to the dentist after wearing this scent. Smells like pancake syrup and coffee have gone out to breakfast.

Brenao

Coffee and vanilla, very strong and well made, but here where I live it's almost impossible to wear. This only works for me in winter. It has depht e strenght but not so versatile. 0,5 oz will last forever. Try before you buy, speacelly if you live in a warm country.

Youssef_Maggi
Youssef_Maggi

love the coffee in this one, much nicer than the montale edition, gourmand but in an adult way!!!

Brenao

Coffee and more coffee vanilla. I have no more, It's good but almost impossible wear where I live, the weather here is all about hot days. I sold my bottle,heavy goumand. If you like in a hot place, think twice.

colognefan85
colognefan85

A very sweet syrup opening with sugar and vanilla. Loud, and sweet! Dry down is all cinnamon and coffee, seriously smells like french toast. Yes its a beautiful gourmand and smells just like a yummy bakery or food...BUT do you really want to smell like that in public? Its cloying in the heat and its such a strong gourmand people might think you have spilt maple syrup on yourself after eating french toast or pancakes. Smells good...YES...Practical....NO!

Germany
Germany

Lavender ,coffee and cedar, to my nose. And very strong at that, I love it yet its so very masculine. It' takes some getting use to for a woman. I am happy but surprised that this is labeled unisex. I do wish I could smell more sweetness. Compared to my feminine other perfumes this is not overly sweet as it is described here in the reviews. I really wish it was a little sweeter and less herb ! But the dry down indeed is what makes this scent awesome! The vanilla and amber and tonkabean come out and the herbal harsh notes subside somewhat. It's intriguing. Hours later I catch sweet wafts of incredible yummy notes and I realize its New Haarlem. It certainly has an amazing dry down .
Update, after wearing this for a few weeks I have to say I smell lots of green bergamot fresh top notes in the opening as well as already mentioned ,the lavender , having said that this is what makes this great perfume masculine but it dries down to a beautiful vanilla coffee syrup smell. The more i wear it the more i love it and crave it. Its now almost addictive to me and it became my absolute favorite perfume of all !!!

Deppaholic

Oh, for all you who are just checking this out and not liking it. I would say wait until the "dead of winter". I cannot wear this in this humid summer heat, not even any temperature above 55. Anyways, do give it another try. I don't find this smells manly on me. It's just rather a very comfortable warm inviting smell, but only in winter. So different than anything else. When I want to wear Guerlain Elixir Coco Gourmand Charnel or Guerlain Asian Brulant I wear them also in winter, then I will reach for them. They are much more dressy and feminine. When I want another winter fragrance, and for kicking around with jeans, Hermes scarf, bomber jacket then I'll reach for this. Give it another try. I think you will find something there in the cold winter air that is lacking in the humidity of the summer days........

dreyth

Anybody else smell exactly zero coffee in this? Im shocked its listed as the main note.

Beginning - Maple Syrup
Middle: Transitioning into:
Ending: French Toast

I avoided the terms top heart and base because there are two ends to the spectrum in this frag. There arent three parts. Its just two parts that blend into each other:

The top is maple syrup, buts its not just a top. It lasts for hours as it slowly transitions into french toast, which lasts for hours. The french toast is the best part for sure. That means this fragrance smells better and better as time goes on. If you dont like the first full hour, be patient! Give it a full wearing.

I dont detect vanilla on this unless i spray it on my clothing, where ill pick up the vanilla the next day. I get 12-14 hours of this on my skin, and 3-5 days of two concentrated sprays onto the same spot of my wool coat.

ryanmaes
ryanmaes

smells exactly like maple syurp like straight up. theres nothing more to be said..

katemcq
katemcq

I had high hopes for this. For my taste, there's not enough coffee or tonka bean, and I cannot even detect vanilla. It's too much cedar and spice, which is probably why some say it smells "musty." I do love the leathery aspect and the initial warm hint of maple syrup, but overall, it is not complex or coffee-like enough.

It also smells _exactly_ like Colonial Candle's Tibetan sandalwood candle.

Lilyn Regg
Lilyn Regg

Yup celery at first. Even the seller at the counter said something along the lines of Oh you know sometimes your skin chemistry and the perfume aren't a match. Translation: yes that really stinks on you. I'll definitely pass.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

The most pleasing gourmand I've ever smelled... A work of art.
There is a very warm, soft, delicious comfort from the strong smell of cinnabuns and pancakes with maple syrup, with just the right amount of a nutmeg-like spicy kick to round things out. Sillage and longevity are both excellent.

areyouin729
areyouin729

I LOVE this one; I wear it all the time and winter and get compliments ranging from my mom to young women. There is just something about this one that makes you smile; reminds me of a Christmas or Thanksgiving morning.

nuitnoir
nuitnoir

It smells like hot coffe and cinnabons. I REALLY like it but the price is ridiculous, seems like a pretentious product for the stuck up ones. IMO

iivanita
iivanita

So surprised noone noticed huge similarity to Yohji homme:-) i looove Maurice he is such a nice guy and great nose, but this is copy cat! This is typical Bond style, syrupy thick, sweet, overemphasized, plasticky, nice but too much for every day ,i love licorice note

fuckoff123
fuckoff123

A strong kick in the nose by something that i would describe as bitterness in conflict with something very sweet. Hated it initially so i didn't even bother with waiting for it to develop.

After a second thought i sprayed it once more and gave it a little more time. Now after about two hours it's kind of same thing but the bitterness and sweetness are more blended together.

What i was expecting: Freshly grounded coffee beans with a smooth vanilla backdrop.
What i experienced: Strong black coffee brew with with mountain of sugar.

What a disappointing scent after reading so many positive reviews.

eickarumba
eickarumba

I keep sniffing this on my wrist and my brain is saying "Lavender! No wait; coffee! Nope, just kidding, pancakes!". It can't make up its mind.

Tom Ford's Lavender Palm is the closest I've smelled to this, though it's lacking the incredible gourmand aspect of New Haarlem.

I actually purchased the candle version of this scent as well. Unexpectedly, the oils in it are SO potent that you can wipe your finger along the top of the candle and use the little bit of candle residue as perfectly viable perfume. It seems to be the same scent quality as the perfume but in solid wax form. Just a tip if you're looking for a slightly cheaper form of this delicious concoction. I don't know if the other Bond candles are of the same caliber, but New Haarlem is out of this world.

pt333
pt333

This is simply one of the sexiest fragrances ever made and one of the few that smells equally good on a women as it does on a man. Definitely a fall-winter fragrance and although a little pricey...a little goes a long way.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Bah, what can I say? Besides, that Bond no.9 has better stuff than this coffee smell perfume. The dry down is probably the better part of this. It probably garners compliments, but I'm not sure if I want to smell like cafe and vanilla. Try it. Might be a good blend with something else. Waffles, pancakes, syrup.

Topats
Topats

Ladies love this fragrance. They'll eat you.. ;)

FabulouslyFragrant
FabulouslyFragrant

If you like the smell of coffee then you will probably like this. That's precisely what New Haarlem smells like to me - coffee. I like the scent. Unfortunately, on me, it had decent sillage for only 2 hours. After that it was close to the skin BUT it remained on me for a total of 24+ hours. So, New Haarlem has MONSTER LONGEVITY but mini monster sillage. Due to the lack of much sillage, this coffee scent isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I will revisit it later to see if I can get better projection.

projectalice345
projectalice345

if anyone wants to swap this with me, or resell.

LeisaSch
LeisaSch

Have been wearing this today and trying to figure out what it reminds me of - maple syrup! It totally smells like maple syrup - like breakfast in a pancake house with a vanilla latte on the side and a lavender plant in a pot nearby. It's great I love it. So interesting and sweet! Lasts ages!

* Now that I have been wearing this for awhile I can really pick up on the cedar and the amber aswell. This is such an awesome fragrance - clean, warm, sweet - with huge depth and good sillage. Smells like quality.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Coffee and lavender - nice mix. "Culinary" composition, interesting and long lasting.

elisnewthing

i get straghgt up coffee surip... i love it! always have loved the smell of coffee
going to put it down best coffee frag i have ever put nose on

Radiation
Radiation

When I was a boy I moved to a new neighborhood. After school my parents didn't get home until late so a family babysat my brother and I. They were of Indian heritage and even to this day I remember the overpowering smell of exotic spices the second I walked into their house. It was quite literally overwhelming at first, but the mix of spices was so distinct I thought it was something I would only smell in that house and no where else. Then last week I got my hands on a sample of New Haarlem and on first spray it flashed me back to that time I hadn't thought about in decades. It was so vivid. The memories of her two sons who were the same age as my brother and I. The angst I had that the son who was my age was rude and antisocial toward all of us. What an odd experience to have from a simple fragrance.

After all that I can honestly say I could never wear this fragrance again. While it might be a technically good fragrance it clearly brings me back to a time long ago and I certainly don't want to relive that every time I put this stuff on.

On the scent itself. Spicy- specifically spices from India. Can really be overwhelming and absolutely not a masculine smell at all. 100% for woman IMO. Or very metrosexual men. Even then not something a lot of men could pull off. I get barely any coffee or vanilla on my skin and pretty much 100% indian spice. I read someone who said they get the smell of celery and I agree with that, but it's an artificial or processed celery smell. Not at all agreeable to my nose.

overall a negative experience.

al1nonly:
i know its long but i have seen real perfume reviewers write comments longer than mine on here when its about a serious perfume and i respect that because i really want to know their perspective before i spend my money...and ok ok its long LOL big deal so what?!!So i made a mistake and i learn for the next time.. So i rambled about a fragrance so what..does it call for you to be so disrespectful about it?i barely ever write comments this long ever since i have been here but being this fragrance cost $230.00 and i almost regretted the blind buy purchase with all the hype before i gave it a chance to grow on me i believe for those who are really really not sure on cashing out the money or believing the hype they really need to know all aspects about this perfume cause i got sucked into the hype and this one is so challenging many women for sure & possibly some men may not like it and regret the buy.$230 bucks is a good amount of money not to play around with.If you don't like it then don't read it duh!! I come on here to enjoy everyone's comments no matter how short or long they are so let me enjoy that cause i'm not going to tell you how to write on here.Are you always abusive to anyone else different than you? grow up!

ForrealMe2

Sorry so long but i believe you should know all this before purchasing..First off this particular scent is completely subjective so you need to try it first and not blind buy it because its so different and deep spicy you maynot be use to it..First spray on your clothes you get a herbal fresh lighter lavender yet heavy scent more noticable on clothes so spray only once on clothes or this will be too much for you ladies because of the vanilla syrup and particularly the spice.. for a guy that would probably burn this juice up i can see them getting away with more than one spray no more than two because this is beastly...i would advise a woman to only spray on your skin because the scent stays sweeter and more syrupy and balanced with the coffee note which is just right and not too extreme coffee..anymore coffee than this would have been overwhelming i think its the combination of lavender the herbal green leaves and coffee that makes this strong.. the herbal green lavender on the clothes is a bit intense because its overwhelming me a bit right now..i killed it with two sprays on my clothes..it will be much better once it calms down but this is going to be a long ride cause its strong..lol.. anytime you smell something different i notice your body reacts two ways..either one your nose totally rejects it at first because it is a newer stronger scent your not use to or ever recognized before in which the next time you smell it your nose will have readjusted which is why i advise to try out a perfume twice on two different occasions so you can adjust to it because what you don't like now you will for the most part probably like later after the readjustment but most don't know that initially with fragrances..or two you will automatically accept the fragrance because its not too much of a challenge for your nose or your use to such scents..this is a strong one so you may reject it at first or need to only spray once and as you adjust you may grow to spray more than once...which is great because you know your wearing it..ahhhh..lol..

wow can't believe how much stronger it is on clothes..men you will love this if you love strength and your skin usually eats up scents..this has extreme sillage bomb spice with the sweetness like most men like...reminds me of the spiciness of like miss dior le parfum ladies because it can be very strong spicy syrupy...for men miss dior le parfum is a spice bomb of a fragrance with patchouli amber vanilla and citrus but more on the smokey sweeter oriental side and i can totally see the sweet oriental notes of this perfume its just amazing how a sweet smokey oriental can smell like breakfast..lol..on your skin its just right and doesn't overwhelm but on clothes close to neck its strong which is great you don't have to use alot but one spray..its a bit more on the masculine side with the lavender note but a female can pull this off as long as they keep it on the skin where it stays sweeter especially on elbows and wrists because when i sprayed it just there initially it was not too strong for me thats why i tried twice on clothes..big mistake.never do that on a first time spray if you don't know if its going to be beastly or not..i believe it will smell better with one spray i'm just overwhelmed by this sillage bomb i caused on myself but this should in no way judge or change your view of the fragrance.. i will update you after i spray it again with one spray on clothes after this beast has calmed down...we are talking Theirry Mugler Angel or Amen strong here..ladies once again this is very different if you are looking for your usual fruity floral you are not getting it here..this is oriental all the way with syrup max...

and men this is a heck of a sweet scent i think most guys will love if you like gourmand..a fun scent for those who can handle it.When first applied to skin after the herbal lavender top notes lighten up a bit you smell on your skin more the maple syrup with a slight buttery feel, cinnamon, vanilla & slight roasted coffee..the lavender and herbs is there but you smell more complexity on skin of the breakfast versus the lavender herbs on clothes...haha i can't believe this is like smelling Denny's breakfast without the eggs and bacon..man if they could of pulled that off i would of wanted to eat it..this is sugar comatose inducing sweet..sweeter than anything i have smelt..wow i just got a whiff of that lemon..a single note that lingers every now and then in and out in a draft..not always constant but there..that was nice it turned the scent a bit fresh for a bit..wow if this turns alittle more lemon this will smell even more amazing...actually now that i smell it more the lime is totatlly there in the blend but it seemed to just pop up out of no where with slight hints of it to let you know its there but as a whole if you smell the blend it is hidden in there very good but you can notice its slightly there if your looking for it..its totally shifting to alittle more lime but its not permanent over time..this will be interesting to see how this shifts...right now the syrup spice seems the just stay and linger for the most part..i can see a guy totally wearing this and so can women..if this had strawberries in it i would of compared it to miss dior cherie's old formulation because of the buttery feel a bit but it doesn't have strawberries but if you like the buttery maple feel you may love this ladies and gents...i am totally proud to wear this as a woman..

its spicy,sweet,different and fun..not to many women are going to be wearing this which is a plus because it challenges your nose and you have to be bold to wear this it has that different twist like tom ford's white patchouli i use to own..its very different..i think you could wear this anywhere if you have enough confidence i don't think you need to limit yourself to where you can wear this but limit your sprays based on where you wear it..if its a night on the town i can see 1 at the most 2 sprays..if its at the office 1 spray alone tops..if at a event 1-2 sprays tops but use your better judgment on how much you spray based on your event..remember you wear the perfume not it wears you!Warning,don't over kill or it can turn you off please be gentle with this frag!! Spray once on wrists,elbows or once on shirt to test to get best results.

Update:I LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE NOW BECAUSE OF THE SPICINESS! I can't believe I almost hated this..If i didn't love Crystal Noir so much this would be my signature.This one has to grow on you it is so so challenging but if you can get past the first 3 days of adapting to this challenge of a very new type of scent your nose is not use to then get this.There is no easy way around this perfume but worth the wait to adjust to it initially. The scent stays the same and I have finally adapted to this perfume..it was so overwhelming i almost hated it and regretted the purchase but its grown on me and not so strong now on day three..if it seems too overwhelming for you give the drydown time and then you can enjoy the scent more in the mids to base which will last for awhile till you adjust.This is a Fabulous perfume but..DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS! TEST IT! IT'S REALLY SPICY DIFFERENT & STRONG FOR YOU TO NOT TEST THIS!WORTH THE MONEY IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT BUT TEST FIRST!

prettyswag
prettyswag

I like this scent... Very nice, yummy and spice cake...and breakfast pecan rolls and coffee and vanilla ....although unisex...I would like it on a man better... It's a lil manly spiced for a woman I think, we'll for me...but it's very nice and sexy...makes a woman eat a man up!

jestech
jestech

While I'm not surprised to see this compared to Rochas Man, I prefer New Haarlem. It just has a more pleasant and longer lasting drydown. To my nose, Rochas is a warm soft fragrance, and New Haarlem is clean, sharp and a little spicy. It's in my Top 5 for colder weather.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

I get lots of amber and vanilla in mine. It all swirls together to give me an almost "pecan cinnamon roll" type scent, Very nice!

bobbydrugan

Scrap whatever I said,I need to get saving love this scent layered it with my fragranced moisturiser and it smells lush x

New Harlem Perfume best fragrance of coffee at all I love him so much

أفضل عطر قهوة على الإطلاق تم مزج المكونات بطريقة رائعة وسلسة جدا

bobbydrugan

managed to get hold of a 4ml vial of this as read it had similarities to dolce by and i neeeedddd!!! a replacement.First of all it is lovely but not over a 100 smackers lovely.its no to sweet on my skin and quite a male smell,remind me of serge lutens gris clair but with a sweeter note which i like and that what i didnt like about sl.All in all a nice scent smelled similar somewhere before but can't quite think where.I wont be parting with my cash for a full bottle

LittleDragonette
LittleDragonette

I was excited to have possibly found a new frag for my fiancé when I first read the reviews on this one. Rushed to the Bond counter and snagged a sample. Sprayed it on my hand and loved it. Everything about it. Except for the nagging scent of celery. I found it very off-putting, and would have bought a bottle on the spot if that smell didn't waft up to say hello. I'll still get him to try it. Who knows, maybe it'll be scrumptious on him and it's just my chemistry doing funky things to the juice. I'll update this review when I get it on him.

EnPassant
EnPassant

Simply wonderful!

It's all about coffee and coffee and then... lavender and coffee and vanilla and coffee...

Great gourmand... Loud and proud!!! Roucel you're a genius!!! Ok... I don't like Musc Ravageur that much... but you're a genius anyway (Iris Siver Mist, Envy, Tocade, 24 Faubourg, Missoni...).

Great (monster!!!) sillage and longevity.
TKS GOD! IT WORKS for me... LOL.

P.S. If the "old daddy" dislike it... then... I like it much more!

Kdu
Kdu

Very good ... I'm using it right now and it really is a little different than men rocks at Harley to feel the stronger the smell of cappuccino in notes and thought better prepared.

Hoxx
Hoxx

I love coffee. I love its taste. I love the feel it gives me early in the morning. I even love its looks. And I adore its smell. That being said, I love New Haarlem.

Opening with an aromatic lavender note, New Haarlem is giving us a suitable welcome to the heart of fragrance. The coffee infusion steps up while the lavender still lingers somewhere in the backwards. The character of coffee note changes, from a roasted coffee bean smell, to the smell of a cup of warm coffee. Followed by the syrupy vanilla-patchouli combo the scent of coffee never loses its strength, but becomes a part of a lovely, divine aroma somewhat resembling the pancake and maple syrup feel. Make no mistake though, it's never as sweet, never cloying, with coffee still being dark and pure enough to avoid such feel.

The longevity of this fragrance is excellent, just like its projection. It's very suitable for a night out, no matter if in a loud place or for a date of any kind. A fragrance made for winter, to warm you up like a cashmere wool scarf and give all the others a feeling of warmth as well. It gives you an aura of a desirable man. Not a boy. A grown man.

My favorite fragrance, by now.

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

It doesn't get much sexier than this. Coffee, spice, with the tonka bean and patchouli--this isn't the dudebro with something to prove. The New Haarlem guy is a grown man, confident in his own right. He doesn't have to spit game, because he knows he's good in bed, and if you're along for the ride, fantastic, and if not, you're far from his only option. He doesn't have to shout about his sexual prowess--he knows the power of a quiet word in your ear.

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

Will always own a bottle of this fragrance. Definitely one of my top 5 most complimented. I love this juice!! When my sweet tooth starts acting up, i can't help but wear this. Its been said before and ill say it again. Take pancakes,maple syrup, and coffee, and put them in a bottle. And go heavy on the maple. Thats new haarlem. Me being a sweet gourmand lover, this is one of my all time favorites. Longevity 9/10 Sillage 9/10 Amazing stuff!

Manofomega
Manofomega

Love this juice and agree that this is a Fall/Winter fragrance!!

rprovenz
rprovenz

Smells like a pancake house mixed with sex

dreyth

I get zero coffee from this, as well as zero spice. I get straight up syrup for the first few hours... until that goddam heavenly french toast shows up.... after that, long into the drydown, i get the vanilla.

one of my favorite frags ever.

jasonx
jasonx

Coffee, dark coffee. Great. Btw, it smells nothing like Rochas Man

Deppaholic

LOVE THIS! LOVE LOVE LOVE....I don't think this can be worn in the summer though. Absolutely perfect with my chemistry and wintry cold days. It's sweet and mostly maple syrup like everybody is commenting about. Yet, it has a flair to it. An attention grabber for sure. Very unusual. I can see me wearing this every winter. Sadly I just sniff the bottle today, it's so warm out. I find myself sniffing it when I'm not wearing it. Finding the perfect Bond is no easy task, there are a few that are wicked gross on me, that others rave about. It's all about the chemistry. It's all elementary my dear Watson, or should I say chemistry! :D

EloquentOgre
EloquentOgre

It is interesting to note that the scent/flavors of coffee and imitation vanilla are commonly used in those horrid artificial/imitation maple syrups to make them taste closer to the real thing. A similar effect/illusion is probably occurring with this fragrance, which is why the coffee note is being obscured and a maple syrup note is being noticed. Kind of like how the leather, vetiver and violet leaf in Fahrenheit blend in a crazy way to produce a petrol/gasoline sort of scent.

Fragrance is a crazy science, isn't it?

icingsugar
icingsugar

This starts off quite masculine with a lot of spice but has a very sweet undertone of pancakes and syprup as previously mentioned. I don't see this as an overly coffee scent...I can't actually smell the coffee but it does give the illusion of being in a coffee shop in the morning having a cream topped latte with the pancakes cooking in the background.
This is definately a fragrance I love despite it being quite deep and manly, and it lasts quite a while on my skin (and my skin is well known to absorb fragrances very fast!)

EauDeBaldy
EauDeBaldy

I think it's best for me to keep this simple, seeing that basically everyone is pretty much saying the same thing ( It's sweet, coffee, etc. )

Personally, and a warning, Do Not Wear This In The Summer, or in Hot Weather.

This is definitely a colder weather fragrance.

Go for this one if you are into that sweet candy/coffee style.

It's a heavy fragrance, I think it's better on the dry down, the initial smell is blah.

I wouldn't go for this again personally ( I bought it seeing people rave about it )

so again, if you like the sweet stuff, this one's a buy.

dudelove
dudelove

Has anyone been to Taiwan, or Singapore? Or one the asian countries that sells bubble tea or known in the west as boba? There's this thing in it called pearls that you chew when you suck up the straw. When you go to a bubble tea shop you can smell them cooking the pearls, which are basically black balls of tapioca. The way they are cooked, I might be wrong, they are slow cooked in brown sugar syrup. This smells EXACTLY like the top notes of New Haarlem, and it made me smile because of how similar it is to queuing up for a cup of bubble tea.

I must say, it is sickly sweet, and I can understand why it's been said to smell like maple syrup and pancakes (believe me it smells more like pearls being cooked).

Unfortunately, for people like me interested in New Haarlem for the coffee note, look somewhere else. The coffee here is so subtle and if coffee wasn't listed as a note, I wouldn't be able to tell at all.

Definitely a compliment getter, but I would never wear this where I live. Just too hot no matter what time of the year, or day.

SwagScent
SwagScent

This fragrance smells so delicious. Initially, I watched Youtube reviews saying that Rochas Man smelled like it, if not better. I bought RM and thought it was ok, then went to Saks Fifth to check out NH. Immediately, I thought "this smells like maple syrup, who wants to smell like this???" I took a sample home with me, fell in love with it and eventually bought it. It is breakfast in a bottle and a must-have for gourmand lovers.

kambelzful
kambelzful

New Haarlem is a masterpiece in the gourmand world. In my opinion, if you like sweet scents, this is a must buy over Angel Men. At the top I get a very strong, but very very natural smelling coffee & lavender combo. It slowly dries down into a very warm, rich, syrupy, vanillic scent, with the creamy coffee still lingering on. This is one of the only fragrances I own that I have smelled on me, the next day after putting on. I don't even get that with Angel Men, and my skin is super dry, so scents just don't last like they are supposed to on me. But this one must love my skin. Cuts through the cold air with no problem. It would probably work well if work, if you only applied one spray (I spray one wrist, tap them together and tap both wrists on each side of my neck for a one spray fragrance). You will get lots of compliments from the sweet tooth's for sure. Overall, a beautifully, well done fragrance by Bond No. 9. 10/10.

Eldavid8a
Eldavid8a

I think it's delicious it's a totally winter fragance love it
Few days ago I was wearing this one and a girl just grab me ant tell me you smell so delicious ..... True story

I tried So New York some time ago and loved it. It definitely smelled like coffee. I was excited to sample New Haarlem since so many people on this site seem to think it's a great coffee fragrance, but on me it smelled mostly like waffles and maple syrup and a tiny bit of nondescript florals. It's similar to Trussardi Inside, which is a lot more affordable and smells more like coffee and not maple. I'm not a fan of New Haarlem, unless I was in the mood for an extremely sweet maple latte or some pancakes. But I am looking for coffee.

Edit: just read a bunch of other reviews and see that I am not alone in thinking that this smells like waffles and maple syrup, and not coffee.

Blimunda
Blimunda

As much as I am not impressed with So New York due to its cold, distant and soft, almost unnoticeable coffee note within it, as much I enjoy New Haarlem for its strength, richness and authenticity.

I wouldn't anatomize it too much as i don't find it that needed because all you need to know is that it starts out with pretty strong and prominent lavander note, very natural, a bit sharp, herbal and at that point, it might smell too masculine, but don't be rejected by it as it doesn't take it more than ten minutes to calm down into the powerful smelling potion combined of sweet, powdery and warm truly natural coffee and a bit dirty patchouli which actually prevents the fragrance from becoming mouthwatering, but gives it more serious character and after all... It's not a secret that coffee is considered aphrodisiac as well as patchouli is a love herb in various traditions so you can only imagine how much you would enjoy it... :D

Pure hedonism and the warmest hug you would like to be wrapped in during cold and gray winter days!

flkirkland
flkirkland

It's like wearing a vanilla latte. Warm, spicy, vanilla. While the sweetness can get you at first, it dies down some in the dry down. The coffee lasts all the way through. One of my instant favorites!

CoolHandLuke87
CoolHandLuke87

Gonna make it short and sweet. Got a sample of it (and others). I luv the way this smells, but like most gourmand fragrance's i couldn't wear it (a*men is the only gourmand scent i own). I also gave most of my bond samples to a gal i know... Not because i disliked the way they smell, but because i feel bond calling most of there scents unisex is pushing it a little in my book
Smells amazing, but not what i wanna smell like... If your a male and you feel ya can pull it off, more power to you. Your manlier then i...
On a female tho, this would drive me absolutely wild.

cloft18
cloft18

I have this scent and did blind buy it. I admit it took a few times for it to grow on me (as most niche scents do, due to the complex stucture and natural ingredients). I do like it very much as a fall/winter scent. If you don't smell the coffee please contact your local ear, nose and throat doctor, because something is broken in there. This is a more bitter coffee. I've had people comment that it specifically smells like coffee. Anyways, in regards to cinnamonswirl's review, stick to reviewing the normal synthetic *shutters* designer frags so you can be objective. Also try it on more than once before you review. I'd advise anybody that likes gourmand frags or sweet frags should at least get a sample so you can try it a few times.

PoeDiggity
PoeDiggity

Sexy pancakes

Kain
Kain

I know my friend "Omid Z" is not agree with me about the coffee scent but this is a really great coffee based fragrance with high quality and very nice smell.
The opening is very sweet and strong coffee scent mixed with patchouli note.
The sweetness is a little too much in the opening! So try to don't over spray it specially on your neck!
It will choke you without any doubt!
In the mid the sweetness settle down and you can smell stronger coffee scent with some patchouli in the background. the sweetness was syrupy in the opening but now in the mid I can clearly smell vanilla which is sweet but it's not as sweet as the opening. also the coffee scent is very dry and bitter which is really great.
In the base the patchouli note is almost gone and vanilla plus that beautiful bitter and dry coffee scent will follow you to the end.
The coffee scent in this fragrance is really great. I love it!
Good projection and longevity with this sucker!!
يه عطر بسيار عالي بر پايه بوي قهوه
اگه بوي قهوه تلخ دوست دارين اين عطرُ حتما تست كنين
رايحه اوليه اين عطر بسيار بسيار شيرين هست كه بوي قوي قهوه و رايحه گياهي نعناي هندي اونو همراهي ميكنن
اولش شيريني عطر خيلي زياده و تلخي قهوه رو تا حد زيادي كور كرده و قهوه خيلي خودشو نميتونه نشون بده اما با اين حال باز بوي قهوه خيلي راحت به مشام ميرسه
در ادامه شيريني عطر تا حدي كم ميشه و بوي خيلي بالانس و متعادل تري به خودش ميگيره و به راحتي ميشه بوي وانيلُ بين اين شيريني حس كرد. حالا بوي قهوه قويتر به مشام ميرسه كه بوي تلخي داره و تركيب اين دو تا بوي نسبتا ضعيف نعناي هندي يه بوي بسيار عالي به شما ميده
در رايحه پاياني و پايه رايحه نعناي هندي تقريبا از بين رفته و شما بوي قوي و تلخ قهوه رو حس ميكنين با بوي شيرين وانيل
بوي قهوه كيفيت خيلي بالايي داره و تلخي و زهر خودشو خيلي خوب تو اين عطر نشون ميده
پخش بو و ماندگاري بالايي داره
خيلي از بوش خوشم مياد

mathieuq613
mathieuq613

VERRY VERRY GOOD BELIEVE THE HYPE BUT ALOT OF SIROPY VIBE NOT FOR EVERYONE THIS HIS A COMPLEMENT GETTER BY THE WAY 9OUT10

grampz
grampz

Since I enjoy oriental/sweet fragrances, this was the easiest blind buy I made. All the notes compliment each other; Coffee, vanilla, lavender, patchouli and cedar (only a hint of citrus) I couldnt ask for more. I really enjoy this fragrance because it is long lasting, smells great and is of top quality. Easily in my top 5. That is all.

kolibertas
kolibertas

Cosy at home, classy with a wool jacket, convenient for work, comfortable all around, current favourite, loaded with caffeine, cold weather a condition.
New Haarlem: la crème de la crème.

dkny27
dkny27

Very very glad I snagged a sample before a huge blind buy.... The notes sound wonderful as do the reviews but this one was sharp in an almost stale way at first spray. It made me wonder if I had gotten an imposter or something expired. After about 10 minutes, it warmed up to a breakfast bonanza. Exactly as some reviews have captured, it's a maple syrupy coffee delight... reminds me of my son's sticky fingers when he was a baby and ate french toast while I sipped my coffee on early mornings.....
Although those were wonderful memories, I'd rather not capture them on my skin!

Super Sniffer
Super Sniffer

French toast, maple syrup with a side of coffee? Yup. Breakfast for dinner all day everyday. Not much I can add that hasn't already been covered. Gets compliments.

fragsforyou

Before I start with my review I want to make something clear. My English are not the best, first of all, and second of all: how the hell is this even compared to A*men? C'mon guys! Yes, they both got a strong patchouli note, but the patchouli in NH is subdued, and the coffee in NH is waaaaay more refined than A*men's coffee note. This is deff not similar smelling to A*men. Now, let's get in to the actual review! :)

This gourmand opens with a blast of maple syrup. Thick, sweet, cloyingly BUT great smelling maple syrup. The coffee is waaay in the background in the first ten minutes of the fragrance. What happens after ten minutes? The strong black coffee note blends beautifully with the maple syrup accord, which still is kind of thick, sweet and really strong. Is that all you get? Yes, it's pretty much is all you get. It's linear in a way that the smell doesn't change that much. However, it get's darker and darker every hour or so.

I don't really see anything creamy in this scent after the black coffee note blends in with the maple syrup. It's definitely NOT dry, at all, all tough it gets dryer the more it stays on the skin. It's just not as creamy as I really wanted it to be. But I gotta admit, I freakin' love this juice.

Vanilla? A little bit. But the strong black coffee note put's all the other notes in the background.

There's not anything fresh about this scent. I don't smell any bergamot at all.

So, longevity and projection?

I'm 8 hrs in right now and it's still kickin'! Seeing how strong it is right now, I would say that it's gonna stay 2 more hrs or so.
As for projection, it's almost beast. It really is close to beast mode projection.

Is it really worth the price? IMHO yes. Here's a few words to describe the scent: it's unique, it stays, it projects, it smells like fresh black coffee and maple syrup with a hint of vanilla, it's warm, sensual, top notch gourmand, sweet, thick, omg, omg, OMG!

Rochas Man has the same smelling coffee note, that I will admit. However, Rochas does not have that maple syrup accord that NH gives me. Rochas is creamier but waaay toned down. It lacks the depth of NH as well as the longevity and projection of NH.

This is my honest opinion guys. I love this juice. This is the definition of what a gourmand should be. No one does it better than Mr. Roucel himself!

It's pricey, yes. I can't afford to buy the full bottle of this! :(

So, what we have here is a 'high-end' rich, thick, sweet, warm coffee based gourmand that gives a maple syrupy smell, well blended with the black coffee note!

I'm not sure if it actually is black coffee or just regular coffee, but I deff get more of a black coffee vibe.

Believe the hype? Yes.

burgundyaltima
burgundyaltima

One of my favorites for the winter..warm..rich..really do smells like breakfast syrup...I currently own Givenchy play intense and Rochas man neither one compares!..(maybe the initial opening of rochas man but the lavender take it to a different direction).. after i told a friend the price she replied, "$200?!?!.. it smells alright..but why would you want to smell like breakfast syrup? nothing sexy about that ".

fragsforyou

Syrup and pancackes, nothing else. Sillage and longevity is excellent!

mocha43

I really love it. It's like having a great cup of coffe with a maple cinnamon spiced pastry. It lasts about 6 hours on me and has great sillage. I recently purchased a 100 ml bottle of it and am very pleased with my purchase.

BillC3
BillC3

just got this off of e bay 3 samples for $20
thank god i didnt blind buy a full bottle
it is sickening sweet
not something id ever want to wear

bcoops
bcoops

This is slowly becoming my signature scent....I even reached for this in the summer days below around 85, just being a bit easy on the trigger, the light sweetness smells glorious in the heat....it lasts long projects well and is a fun playful scent...just like I am!

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

Pancakes, waffles, french toast, with butter, cinnamon, powdered sugar and a lot of syrup. Gourmand at it is finest, highly original and well crafted by Bond. Go easy with the trigger on this one; it will last you through Hannakuh. Definitely check this one out.

Dr_Spazmo
Dr_Spazmo

New Haarlem...My first niche fragrance. I personally really enjoy this one because it is so authentic. I received this cologne on christmas day and when I first sprayed it on initially i wasn't too impressed because it was soo potent and smelled like pancakes drenched in syrup. Even when my friend came over I asked him "do you smell that" and he was like "you making pancakes" which proves my point of it being authentic *and he is not into fragrances like I am*. However, one day I gave it another shot and it surprised me. I was getting a more caramel coffee shop kind of smell the second time onward. I can see this being reminiscent of rochas man. The only difference is that rochas is more sugar sweet while new haarlem is bittersweet (oxymoron). I do love both but NH takes the cake because of longevity and projection. RM is more of a skin romantic scent while NH is a loud walking coffee shop. I don't recommend this to people who aren't in very sweet scents.

zelmu
zelmu

Better longevity and sillage when compared to RM, BUT New Haarlem is waaaay too bitter. Rochas is more like a sweet vanilla latte whereas New Haarlem is more of a bitter espresso with a vanilla cookie aside.

natrance
natrance

to me it dries down similar to CK Eternity? Def get the maple notes and coffee...looked like the Lavender and the Bergamont are the similar notes between the two..anyone else feel the same? New Haarlem is rich, full and complex...lasts forever!! Rochas Man is a beautiful fragrance, but only faintly similar to New Haarlem...NH = Ritz Carlton; Rochas Man = Marriot; Jordan Legend = Holiday Inn Express

Edit: I would like to retract my statement about Eternity...this is much better!

dylan.kohout
dylan.kohout

This fragrance opens with a blast of lavendar and bergamont. The bergamont quickly burns off and makes room for the coffee and vanilla. The coffee isn't overly strong in this fragrance, nor is it the dominant note of this fragrance. To me, this fragrance is lavendar and vanilla based, the coffee is only in the background. However, when I first smelled this fragrance, I initially thought it was coffee based (This was before my nose was very developed), but this fragrane is definitely lavendar based. The lavendar is very natural however, and in no way synthetic (ala Le Male). During the drydown, the lavendar dies down slightly, making more room for the vanilla and patchouli. The patchouli in New Haarlem almost gives me an oakmossy feeling, even though there is no oakmoss in the note breakdown. This is no doubt, one of Bond no.9's best offerings, and in my opinion, is their best offering. Even though I don't wear this fragrance as much as I like to, it still remains one of my favorites.

My rating out of 5

Scent: 4/5, This is a wonderful lavendar/vanilla fragrance with nice herbal and coffee undertones, definitely a compliment getter!

Projection/sillage: 5/5 This fragrance gets the job done. During my sophomore year of college, I walked down a hallway to my chemistry lab. My lab partner came in about 10 minutes later and said, "Yup, Dylan's here, I could smell his cologne from the other end of the hallway".

Longevity: 5/5 This fragrance gives me 12+ hours everytime I wear it, which is exactly what I ask for in a fragrance

Versitility: 3/5 This fragrance is better suited for the cooler months, but this can also work very well on cool summer nights. However, on hot summer days, this should not be considered.

Uniqueness: 4/5 There are a few fragrances similar to New Haarlem, like Rochas Man and MJ Legend, but I believe this one to be far superior. It is very unique and I doubt you will smell this on anyone else unless they happen to be into fragrance.

My overall rating: 4.2/5 This fragrance is highly recommended by me. I love this stuff and I will always have it in my collection. If you are looking for a cold weather signature scent, or just a fragrance to give you compliments, look no further than New Haarlem.

Winter Peyroux
Winter Peyroux

One of the very best fragrances that Bond has ever put out. I love New Haarlem so much.

The Bond No. 9 counter lady at the Nordstrom near me describes this perfume as "sexy pancakes" or "sexy French toast", but it's not sexy to me -- instead, it's very comforting. Really reminds me of being young and hanging out at divey diners late at night or early in the morning with close friends and lovers, eating hot pancakes and drinking sugary coffee, after hours of irresponsible activity and high emotion... It evokes really good memories and feelings for me.

This is a fragrance with only a few notes, it really is very simple, and does not change, on me, to my nose: just the strong, dominating scent of real maple syrup, with waffle/pancake/French toast underneath, and then a vague background of mocha and vanilla coffee, with wisps of bergamot and lavender, all of it markedly warm.

Though I mentioned it reminding me of dives, New Haarlem does not smell cheap at all; the entirety is rich and genuine. And it has intensive lasting power. I like to spray this on my arm and then fall asleep smelling it. Like I said, comforting.

aelias
aelias

One of the few unisex fragrances that is actually a unisex scent! I am really enjoying the sweet and spicy mix, and I would certainly like to smell this on a man, too. And I don't find it over the top - it is not too sweet for a man to wear.

UPDATE: I am starting to pick up similarities with TM's Angel.

williamvargas
williamvargas

glad i sampled this first, right away i smelled like a sweet coffee type smell, almost a maple sugar smell that you get from a maple glazed donut.. it is great quality but it smells too much like food to me..not sure i want to walk around smelling like a piece of pastry, just too sweet smelling to my tastes..if you like a gourmand type of smell i prefer angel men or pure havane, but i can see why people would like this, it does last..overall it was not the fragrance i tend to enjoy but i wore it to the office anyway to see what kind of feedback i get.. one young lady said, hey what smells like a maple bar..? and then someone else said, i was wondering what that was ?...no one really seemed to care for it. i am known for trying different fragrances..i read a lot of love on this, but just didn't happen for me.. but i had to try it..

duskangel101
duskangel101

Finally was able to try this today. I was dissappointed when I DIDN'T SMELL ANY COFFEE. Everyone claimed that New Haarlem was all about the scent of coffee, but I for once picked up none. Instead, I smelled a syrupy cologne scent, which I don't mind but don't see myself purchasing.I like the thick syrupy note, but the cologne smell makes the scent just a bit too masculine for me.

Ewalk81
Ewalk81

Ok, so I finally got my hands on a few ml's of this, thanks to a cool dude. I must say, I am loving this. I can definitely see myself purchasing. I am loving this!!

frostyicy
frostyicy

I really really wanted to love this fragrance but I just can't. I love and hate this fragrance for one single reason.

Perfumer Maurice Roucel cloned his first creation Rochas Man with this one. That's all I get with this fragrance. I do love Rochas Man, yet I can not fully love New Haarlem even tho they smell pretty much identical. Why you may ask???

Simple the price tag. I can not warrant a 3.3oz for retail $230 when you have the older brother 3.4oz retail for $45 tops. The fragrances are just too much alike for such a big difference in the price tag (and I do own some Bond no.9 fragrances).

I know many love New Haarlem and as far as the smell I love it too. Yet I feel that there may be some who actually get caught in the hype of wearing an expensive fragrance rather than the overall smell of the fragrance. Sure there a subtle differences there (RM is pancakes with syrup and coffee, NH is french toast with extra syrup and Mocha), but the differences are not significant enough to justify such a high price tag to me. I will admit that there are differences in longevity as New Haarlem is a beast.

I will still give this fragrance a thumbs up because I am judging the juice inside not the price tag yet I will caution people to definitely get a sample of this and also sample Rochas Man side by side and make your own decision.

Sillage/Projection: 10/10
Longevity 10/10
Compliment factor: 9/10
Purpose: 8/10
Season: Any season. Will work preferably Fall and Winter. Can be worn in cooler parts of Spring and cooler nights in Summer but be careful with the trigger.
Bang for the buck: Not worthy of the price tag, Rochas Man is a great, great, GREAT alternative for 6 times cheaper.

Update 9-13-12

I must say I really don't enjoy this fragrance as much as I did initially testing it. The longer it stays on my skin it develops this thick smokey smell. Almost like a smokey smell of a cold winter day and from a distance you smell a burning chimney, I attribute this to the cedar wood. This just doesn't mesh well with the syrupy sweet vibe. Maybe it's there to imitate sausage as this is a breakfast smelling fragrance. It becomes very cloying.

Sillage/Projection: 10/10
Longevity 10/10
Scent: 6.5/10
Compliment factor: 9/10
Purpose: 6/10
Season: Later, cooler parts of Fall and all of Winter. Can be worn lightly in the earlier cooler parts of Spring.
Bang for the buck: Not worthy of the price tag. Rochas Man shares many similarities with New Haarlem, yet in the dry down Rochas Man tromps New Haarlem.

Update 9/30/12

I recently purchased Michael Jordan Legend. This is also a very good alternative to New Haarlem. It smells more like New Haarlem than Rochas Man yet still has it's own distinct characteristics. Michael Jordan Legend is the perfect blend between Rochas Man and New Haarlem. Also Legend is even cheaper than Rochas Man, I purchased Legend for $17.07 for a 3.4oz. Legend>Rochas Man>New Haarlem.

Dougczar
Dougczar

Finally got my hands on a sample of this from Bond No. 9. Put it on about 2 hours ago... Yep - pancakes & maple syrup! If I try, I can pick out some of the various notes, but it's hard to get past the smell like the waiter at IHOP dumped my breakfast in my lap.

I also find this a little too sweet and cloying. Unfortunately, my wife seems to LOVE it on me! So, what am I supposed to do now? I guess I'll be in the market for this soon.

Baldric
Baldric

The SA described this as "sexy pancakes" and I do get a certain maple note from this. I reckon just plain "pancakes" wouldnt sell, hence the qualifier of sexy. I could see this being a good bruch scent, and let me say here in Portland we take brunch very seriously. On my skin this is 30 minutes of warm lavender/coffee, on my husband it lasts much longer and has more of a syrupy note and is also more vanilla and on clothing it is more herbal. Wouldn't buy it for myself since 30-60 minutes of smelling great should not cost this much, but on someone else....

Lolgav
Lolgav

I absolutely adore it. It gives me energy for the whole day when I spray it in the morning. It lasts long and oozes a warm, classy smell of sweet coffee with milk and cane sugar plus just a touch of crisp. Perfect for all kinds of weather, cheerful yet elegant. Love at first sight.

yacoco
yacoco

sorry i try to love it but i didnt the strong coffe note make it bad need littel sweetnees
i give it 5 of 10
للبيع شبه جديد

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

New Haarlem instantly took me to a familiar place, and it was not Rochas Man or Michael Jordan Legend. This scent is far more sophisticated. It brought me back to Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe, only drenched in maple and brown sugar. I now understand the "syrupy" quality. Not sweet and sticky, such as pancake syrup... but a natural syrup that borderlines being resinous, however the coffee and vanilla keeps it in check so that it stays on gourmand grounds. Bergamot and lavender? Yeah, for the opening of the show... then they quickly go into hiding. New Haarlem gets better with time and actually becomes less sweet. Coffee is most assuredly the dominant note, and the ingredient that is initially responsible for this fragrance being unisex. The reason it reminds me so much of Black Vetyver Cafe is because the coffee is raw. You're not going to get an A*Men Pure Coffee feel, so remain open-minded throughout the duration of your New Haarlem experience. The projection and longevity is a solid 10 and then some. So if this should not be your cup of tea, you'll find the quality undeniably incredible.

aschiffm
aschiffm

First thought when on- "interesting", very gourmand. The milky light and creamy coffee note is pretty gosh darn singular/stand outish in this fragrance, but the lavender gives a touch of female so you don't just feel like a bakery. It gets a little spicy too. Im not sure if it's wearable on its own but I had actually tested this on my arm next to New York Amber and the combo was HEAVENLY

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

Okay, first of all,I read the notes before trying this on the Bond site and I saw coffee and cringed. I thought this can not be good. Boy was I wrong ! I tried this today, and this is my all time favorite Bond! Coney Island is now second.

This is soo rich, it smells rich, almost too rich to wear out in public. I can't say this is sexy but anything that smells sweet will draw men in my opinion. Only if that's your goal. Now, on to the fragrance.

To my nose , I do see where other reviewers are getting pancakes and syrup from this . However , what I detect is a toasted Smores treat! I smell marshmallows and graham crackers that have been heated some way. This scent has really good sillage, it only got faint just now(my skin is dry) and I applied it about 6 hrs ago. That's pretty good in my opinion. I can see this drawing all types of attention. I will be getting this. If you love Gourmands, this is it! This may cause blood sugar levels to rise guys! :)

Vision: A drop dead gorgeous woman wearing her sexiest day dress in Paris stops at her favorite restaurant for breakfast on a sunny day. She decides to sit on the patio to read a few magazines to check out the latest fashions. She is enjoying her belgian waffles with loads of syrup while she sips her sugared coffee.

Helsinki
Helsinki

Mmm. Out of the ordinary. Shake'n'bake.

Lavender, coffee, syrup.
Coffee, syrup, lavender.
Syrup, lavender, coffee.

That said, I can't smell the vanilla as a traditional vanilla but it does bring a sweetness to this fragrance which, to my amazement, doesn't turn into a cloying bomb. This is like a pile of silk paper: So many layers.
...And the bergamot! Maurice Roucel, how did you manage to pull this off? Sweet but not sweet, citrus in the background (rare!), coffee as the leading star.

I'm not a coffee drinker because of its taste
but now I have an alternative: New Haarlem.
p.s. NH is very, very unisex.
__

After 5 hrs: the drydown is so delicious and sultry I want to eat my wrist.

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

The only Bond No.9 worth paying full price for. There are other good ones like China Town and Brooklyn...but just good...not lavish.

Group: Sweet Oriental

Smells like: The pleasure one's mouth receives upon eating a sweet Turkish delight or Baklava, while immediately emulsifying the dessert with a coffee with light cream and sugar.

This stuff is amazing. Forget about the deliciousness and the mouth watering aspect of this fragrance. There is so much complexity to this fragrance despite only having about 5 to 6 notes.

Only my man Maurice can do something like this. What Roucel has done here is take a simple note, Coffee, and turned it into a fragrance that evolves into the various stages of a wonderful time in New York City history: old school Harlem!

In the era the fragrance tries to depict...Harlem was a "New" Haarlem (that's how it was spelled back then with two a's)..and that's what the fragrance is portrays...the evolution of a wonderful part of Manhattan that was slowly becoming inspired by speakeasies that play Miles and Coltrane in the background...jazz clubs with a smokey airiness of coffee is it clashes with the sweet perfumes of the waitresses mingling with the woody colognes worn by cats in fedoras and suits and canes and tie bars...who, after a long night of snapping fingers and dancing and playing cards, would step out, woman in hand, letting all the aromas inside their beloved joint to succumb to what's left of the nature in Manhattan.

Coffee with Lavender is hard to picture...but throw in the sweet earthiness of Pathchouli and a light cedar base..and Roucel not only created the perfect combination of Coffee and florals, but so well blended that anyone who embarks on this trip is sure to be pleased.

New Haarlem is very sweet, but EXTREMELY tolerable...and ready?...waitt for it...YES..tolerable EVEN in the SUMMER (long as you go light on the trigger). Most will tell you that this is a cold weather scent...true, but I don't think it's exclusive to cooler moments. The reason is, New Haarlem is this phenomenal airiness to it..overtime the coffee mellows out, and the patchouli/lavendar/vanilla begins to rise - the gorgeous thing about this evolution is, in the cooler periods..one will say "Wow, this is perfect for the winter..what a cozy and warming scent but sweet enough to distract my senses."..During warmer moments, catching whiffs of this gorgeous scent one will think "wow...what a crisp, sweet, coffee'ish, airy scent."

Very versatile.

Longevity: 9+ hours (12+ on clothing)

Sillage: Mesmerizing scent trail. "I want to eat you alive.." type compliments to "what...is...that...fragrance...I can't stop sniffing you!" ...thank god I got all day ;-) I wore this in Miami once, yes, Miami...two sprays, one on each forearm, and catching whiffs of this was such a delight while walking along Ocean Drive, letting the breeze from the Atlantic carry this composition around me.

Projection: Not a MONSTER in the sense of Godzilla...but let's call it Bigfoot...will get the job done should one stumble upon it.

Will always be a part of my collection. Always.

microwavesally
microwavesally

Love this scent! People always ask about it and usually like it. It is great because its so original. Reminds me of sexy pancakes!

shoguns2480
shoguns2480

I have to agree that it smells like a waffle hut garbage dump on a hot summer day-stay away from at all costs unless you want to smell like hot garbage and French toast with syrup!

syndromes
syndromes

only for sweet sugar cane lovers. to sweet. comprende! ok now listen up, who has an idea of a badass JASMINE/leather/boozy/chypry/dark- key words badass and jasmine. peace-

I own New Haarlem and Rochas Man, and Michael Jordan Legend
If you like Either One of these,
Try Body Heat by Bod Man
The one that looks like a Hand Grenade Bottle
It is $15-20 at Walmart, Kmart

You Will Love It Too

RIVI1969
RIVI1969

If you want to get this perfume for 40 dlls, simply buy Rochas Man... same notes, same creator. Maurice Roucel did both and as usual Bond No9 executives have no problem in duplicate already tested perfumes, but hey, the bottles are great!

lfmars98
lfmars98

This is a very good scent. It starts fresh for a minute before it become syrupy, coffee like, and vanilla on my skin. This is the best coffee fragrance I've tried so far. Great projection and longevity (10+ hours). A must try. 9.5/10.

zind
zind

Oh wow, this smells like celery on me!! If I make an effort I can make out the notes and think it might be the mix of the lavender and coffee that turns into the celery. Totally all wrong with my chemistry!

Cylob
Cylob

For a person who doesn't like coffee, this is horror.
Grabs you by the throat in a bad way.
Grasping for air while washing this off...
Next!

I got it for myself,
my wife has taken it over...
awesome stuff...

nopasho
nopasho

Confession time. I was no fan of Bond nr 9, to put it mildly. Snobbish wannabe perfumers, I thought. With too much fragrances that were way too expensive. And in 'those' bottles that scream 'Look at me, I have bought a Bond nr 9. I'm rich! I'm more than you, you daily grinders!'. A bottle of Bond doesn't invite to 'Smell me!'. It's bling bling for the monied white Upper East side crowd. The fragrance house of Mr. Big in 'Sex and the City'. The epithome of 'fashio-nazi'.
But some time ago I received some Bond samples. I smelled them after putting my prejudices aside. Just as a fragrance, be it Bond or Revlon. And fair is fair, there are some duds in the Bond house, expensive duds. But they also have some really great fragrances. Too expensive but still: top fragrances. 'Chinatown' is top, IMHO.
Of course they have the money to hire the greatest noses around and give them free reign. Most of their customers propably buy the fragrances mostly for the bottle and don't care about the fragrance inside. I'm talking here about the fragrance. The bottle, the name and the package be damned. And 'New Haarlem' as a fragrance is just great!
Bond hired the great nose Maurice Roucel. He was obviously inspired by Muglers gourmand coffee-fragrance 'A-Men Pure Coffee', but he made an original excellent, unisex unsweet gourmand. And I like it very much. Me, the Bond-'hater'!
First of all Roucel kept it relatively simple. With maximum result. Roucel chose for the horizontal approach. No pyramid of notes with top, middle and base development but all notes in one line together that influence each other constantly and in this way create together with the warmth of the skin an evolution and development of scent that is fluid and flowing. Smooth. There are 6 notes in total: coffee, lavender, patchouli, vanilla, cedar and bergamot. Six so different and potential contradictory notes that in the hands of a second rate perfumer, could easily lead to a stinker and a scrubber. Lavender and coffee, anyone? But Roucel made it work.
When you apply it, you first detect a sweet vanilla lavender accord with some freshness of the bergamot. Surprisingly pleasing. It was hit or miss with these six notes. And it's hit. Then comes in the spicyness of the patchouli, with the dryness of the cedar and the coffee. After half an hour the coffee takes first seat while the other notes stay present to deepen things out and keep the development going. But the coffee is the star here. Roucel chose not sweet coffee, no exotic 'double latte cedar lavender vanilla with bergamot' or so, but naturally bitter, burned arabica. That slightly bitter and burned element goes very, very well with the lavender and the vanilla. And all the while the patchouli and the cedar accentuate the rich no nonsense, grounded earthiness of this fragrance. The drydown is long and smoothly evolves into a rich deep coffee-lavender-dark unsweet vanilla and cedar. It seems an implausible combination on paper, it is a daring creation but it that pays off big time in that New Haarlem is a great, rich and complex, earthy but smoky, deep and dry fragrance. The dryness that has the potential to be overbearing because of the coffee plus the cedar is kept in check by the subdued spiciness of the patchouli, the deep dark vanilla and the powdery lavender. The result a deeply pleasing, earthy, powerful and totally original fragrance that's IMHO perfectly unisex. And can even be worn in the office. But with that price tag it would maybe be a shame.
This fragrance oozes creativity and contemporary class and 'finesse'. It has that 'Je ne sais quoi' that all great fragrances have. A classic it is not (yet?), but it plays in the top league of fragrances. The coffee and patchouli anchor this fragrance from 2003 firmly into the 21st century. So 2 thumbs up for the fragrance. But in all fairness two thumbs down for the price.
But if you want to buy a Bond not only for the bottle but also for the fragrance inside, New Haarlem is the place to be.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

Okay so here is my take on this one folks. I believe this and Green Irish Tweed are the only fragrances I wore for months before actually buying a full bottle. Why? Simply the price LOL!!!!

So I didn't buy this off of the hype or because it was Bond or because it was expensive. I bought this one because all Gourmand heads should have this one in their collection. Honestly put this is the last Gourmand I purchased but may be the first I finish.

This is to a "coffee" frag what Musc Ravageur is to a Musky frag. There is some coffee in it but coffee drinker like me would not call this coffee we would call it a desert with some coffee in it. It is maple syrup, vanilla with a hint of coffee. Almost like a Dark Chocolate Mocha with extra syrup for sweetness.

This is not a "coffee" (fresh ground/coffee bean, bitter nutty coffee) fragrance. But it is a wonderful fragrance. Buying this for coffee would be similar to buying Tobacco Vanille for Tobacco.

Longevity is terrific, projection is good, sillage is good overall scent...DIVINE! I have come to one conclusion Bond's sprayers suck! This doesn't have enough range and shoots sort of straight so I find myself not getting enough mist; however, that is a minor drawback for 10/10, 5/5 fragrance. I will always own this one unless someone can match it.

Finally I do own Rochas and they are different. They are similar much like Pure Havane and Tobacco Vanille are similar but they are just as far apart. The downfall of Rochas in comparison to this is that its sort of chemical where this one is 100% natural smelling.

anton007
anton007

All I can say is WOW! This may be the best gourmand fragrance I have ever used. Long lasting and is perfect for the fall and winter time. Be advised, it may be addictive to wear. And you will get lots of compliments from the ladies...

Cereza
Cereza

When I first inhaled this fragrance, I got loads of coffee and vanilla. I found that to be wonderful, the coffee here is bitter and it plays perfectly with sweet, creamy vanilla reminding me of some kind of capuccino. After the first blast, though, it goes a bit wrong for me. I get lavander, no, I have nothing against lavander, but for me it ruins it. It starts to smell like some aftershave and gives a masculine edge which, IMO, wasn't necessary here. It does get better at the heart part, but it's still there and it stills annoys me.

The drydown is lovely coffee scent, feels very natural to me and I enjoy it very much, I can easily say that one of the best coffee scents I've tried. If it wouldn't be for lavander at the heart part, I'd definetely search for a bottle.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

New Haarlem is a nice variation of Rochas Man. In fact, this should be called Rochas Man Intense (I know there`s one with this name). The coffee note is strong and well balanced with the rest of the composition. If you`re into Rochas Mand, A*Men, and other fragrances alike, you should try it!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This fragrance is like having thick maple syrup poured onto your skin that has a funky coffee vibe. It's way to sweet and very cloying and makes you feel uncomfortable. Rochas Man is so much better and lighter without the thick syrupy feel to it.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

I don´t need to say nothing about this real gourmand, coffe, vanilla intenses, with a subtle vibe of patchouli and lavander, a artwork in fragrance IMO!

Heverton
Heverton

New Haarlem opens up with a slightly citrus flavor, guaranteed by bergamot (which lasts no longer than 5 minutes), accompanied by a dominance of strong dry coffee, like in A* Men Pure Coffee, not creamy as in Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Mock.

In the meantime, lavender appears very lightly, but it only gives a hello and that's it, then it moves sideways (thankfully).

Over time, the aroma of coffee decreases, giving space to a wonderful caramel aroma!! Awesome scent, just awesome! Do yourself a favor and at least try it

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Brilliant! I'm reminded a lot of Dolce & Gabanna By for women without the massive ba-da-bing from its ginger (if you like that fragrance but are too worried about offending people during the day, wear this one, and save the other for night--goodness knows that the current hard-to-find price makes this one just as 'affordable' as the other).

New Haarlem is coffee all over, smelling like it includes not only the beans, but the earthy leaves and wood from the whole coffee plant. Rich, woody and delicious.

Bergamot adds a beautiful clarity and allure, while lavender brings a crisp floral note that's softened with vanilla. Cedar adds to the earthy cleanliness of New Haarlem and even makes it a touch masculine, but not too much. Perfect for women too who like vanilla without a whole lot of saccharine.

Sillage and longevity are amazing. New Haarlem is smooth, smoky, sensual and inviting--like licking dense cappuccino foam off your lips.

kerini
kerini

New Haarlem is amazing!
Freshly ground coffee, blooming lavender and recently cut cedar.
Not overly complex but every single note is absolutely fantastic and can totally hold its own.
It's incredibly longlasting, about 24 hours on me and rather on the strong side.

I get a quick whiff of bergamot in the beginning. Quickly the coffee takes over and stays on top for several hours. For a while the lavender stands out the most and then the focus switches back and forth between coffee and cedar before finally the wood wins out.

Unlike other reviewers I can't detect a lot of sweetness. There's a hint of vanilla and an even softer touch of patchouli but both standing back, only providing support from the background.

It's my favourite Bond No. 9 and my review doesn't do it justice in any way. Quite expensive but worth every penny!

As much as I enjoy it on myself, I love it even more on a man.

kenzoh25
kenzoh25

This scent is an instant classic to me. Its very gourmand and amazingly tasty. Coffee, vanilla, syropy vibe is in there. Its a very long lasting and very well made juice. Worth every penny as i get tons of compliments wearing it. I wish this line would be more affordable though. But nonetheless its worth it to shed some $ for it for sure.

APassionateJourney

What does an,"Elderly African American Woman" Smell like? This smells like syrup and things of that nature so is he trying to say you smell like an Aunt Jemima??? You're still with this guy? Wow. To think you even thought it was polite or smart to even REPEAT it is astounding

ogie12
ogie12

maybe u should dump the boyfriend for having poor choice in words he sounds uneducated..
they one with the nasty african american commment

Darling Starling
Darling Starling

My fiance told me I smell like a "Waffle hut garbage can"

silentrich
silentrich

Smells like maple syrup on french toast. Very rich and well blended fragrance. Would be perfect on a cold winters day and one of the best gourmands around. Not a great blind buy as it's similar to Rochas Man and some prefer this over New Haarlem.

diorshowman
diorshowman

New Haarlem is the most realistic gourmand I have ever smelled. Angel Men is a gourmand in that it is sweet, but I can never imagine actually "eating" the scent, if that makes sense. With New Haarlem, it smells so much like a vanilla coffee cake that I want to lick my skin when I have it on.But beyond it's realism, New Haarlem is a one liner. Its just sweet, sweet, and more sweet. I do't think I would be able to wear this scent everyday. Its more for a special occasion. But if you want a true gourmand, New Haarlem is king.

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

@astrofluff

Who the hell would post that?" like an elderly african american woman"? What is that suppossed to mean? What does one smell like? what, do you smell like a cotton picker? Maybe you smell like fried chicken and watermelon? with comments like that, you and your boyfriend dont even deserve to wear fragrance. You deserve to smell like smegma.

CoffeeCologne
CoffeeCologne

Stop the presses! This is by far the best scent I have ever smelled! I can't say enough about it. It is pure heaven in a bottle. Rochas Man is similar but lasted no where near as long as this liquid gold. Also, it just doesn't have the punch of New Haarlem. Rochas Man is New Haarlem's puny step-brother, and A*Men is the abrasive, loud-mouth step-brother. New Haarlem is a confident and refined karate master that could easily kick both of their asses blindfolded. It is so smooth, so mature (but not in an old man sort of way), and so tasty.

My only disappointment...it took me 9 years to discover this gem.

10/10 (I'd go higher if I could)

scentous
scentous

this is a really fantastic, unconventional and distinctive perfume..an expensive precious gem which I feel very special to have it..Opens with a coffe note, but don't think it as a sweet yummy delicious coffe, but a bitter espresso instead (even tickling the nose), which gives a character to the scent according to me..coffe note dominates for the first hour, lavander some spices and a hint of patchouli come through, and afterwards the perfume evolves into a delicious creamy vanillic phase and lasts forever:)) it is definitely not sweet like many other vanilla perfumes on the market, vanilla with woods and spices make the scent unisex essentially.. it is warm cosy and classy, I love it on my husband and can't take my nose off his neck, I love it on me feeling different and charming..well this is a must have for all vanilla lovers bored with the usual vanilla note and looking for something different..expensive true, but 100 ml bottle is huge which seems impossible to finish..

Francop
Francop

Another enjoyable creation from the Bond no 9 House.

I detect a fleeting citrusy accord in the top notes that quickly leads to very pleasant coffee notes which lasts for a couple of hours, then letting the vanilla come through in the drydown.

I agree with the previously described similarities with Rochas Man but find New Haarlem a bit less powdery and overall more refined...top ingredients I guess...

Great longevity and sillage; overall a great experience to wear for the day...

Lestat
Lestat

vanilla and coffee notes are STRONG. DO not spray more than 4 times otherwise this fragrance will give you a headache in winter.. In summer 2 is enough. I sprayed the cologne at 6pm once before going out to eat one evening and I could still smell it on me the next morning when I woke up at 7.. So Longevity is superb.. I think its one of those fragrance to which ya have to get used to it. The drydown smells great.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I tried a sample of this, and adored it, so recently lashed out and bought a 50ml bottle. Well, I don't know what has gone wrong. The sample had an almost "edible" honey note and although the coffee was quite bitter, I really liked it, but oh this new bottle is really quite hard going. I am going to try to get through these liquorice and cough medicine beginnings in the hope that something nicer will evolve. The coffee is strong enough to stand a teaspoon up in, but it is overwhelmed by the herbal medicinal smell and I seriously think it's going to fail on me. Unless I like the top notes of a perfume I find it hard to struggle through them until the dry-down, and if I'm spending big biccies I want to like it from the beginning to the end.

Two hours later: I can't hack it any more. Washed off and back to the Prada Infusion d'Iris, the absolute opposite in perfume!

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

I smell expensive incense sticks. Nice however not for me:)

I am on the fence with New Harleem. To me, I just smell coffee (which I love), vanilla, and patchouli (which I hate). The scent is sharpen by the coffee mixed with herbal earthiness by patchouli. The subtly sweet vanilla is present but not all that important because I still find the scent sharp, strong, and definitely bitter. Maybe it just seems too mature or just not sweet enough for my taste. For a great coffee note fragrance, I think Pure Coffee, Pure Havane, or Mont Blanc Exceptionnel are better suited me.

Natalie467
Natalie467

Last week I went into Saks for the sole purpose of testing some Bond fragrances, notably this (for my husband) Lexington Ave, Union Square and their signature fragrance (for me). I sprayed New Haarlem onto the tester card, took a whiff and thought eww-too strong, pungent, not for me but maybe Hubby might like it and tucked the card into my purse.

None of the others I went to try left much of an impression, but Bryant Park smelled heavenly so I purchased a small purse spray of it. While there the SA urged me to try Saks en Rose which I sprayed on my arm. Thank you! I spent the rest of the say sniffing that area of my arm and loving it, it was so feminine, floral and a tad sweet, if I remember correctly. I wished I got that instead of the Bryant Park.

Anyway, Hubby didn't care for New Haarlem, but loved the sample of Success is a Job in NY I got with my purchase. The New Haarlem card stayed in my purse and the following day at work I'd get a whiff of it whenever I'd go near my bag. I can't get it out of my mind, once the aroma died down a bit it smelled so powerful, sexy, strong, confident and nearly edible, or drinkable if you will. I HAVE to have it, I'm going back this week. It's the kind of scent that gets you noticed, for bad or for good. I say that because I have the feeling when I wear this into work people will say, "Oh, she's wearing something _______ again" because I'm known for wearing unconventional scents. I don't care this is for me and I can't wait to get my hands onto a bottle of it!

Passionflower
Passionflower

I just had a whiff of this! I wanted to smell it because I live in the Dutch town called Haarlem... It smells very very spicey, not just pure coffee, but like walking into the old herbal pharmacy we have in my town. Very nice scent actually. When I asked about the price, I allmost fainted though... very expensive! But I like it, it's original and interesting.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

This is one fun perfume. The term 'whack-a-doodle' comes to mind.

My first thoughts were strong mocha coffee, burnt toffee and edible rose petals (although this is probably the lavender/vanilla combo). Pure gourmand and it sits like a smoky dream on my skin.

Later the lavender becomes more of a force, luckily it remains edible in nature. Gourmand perfume aromas never mix well with indigestible notes, it just leads to nausea and gnashing of teeth. Of course Maurice would never do that to me.

Honestly, sometimes I think he makes perfume just for me.

So many great coffee frags, so little time! I am delighted to find in Bond no 9 NEW HAARLEM yet another of a cluster of compelling twenty-first century creations that honor our culture's favorite drug, caffeine, in its most potent potable form: French-press-produced silty black coffee!

NEW HAARLEM opens somewhat sweetly, but the strong dark coffee swiftly comes to dominate the composition all the way to the cedar-rich drydown. Like BELLE EN RYKIEL (2006), NEW HAARLEM (2003) skillfully blends lavender into the mix, but there is no hint of aromaticity in this oriental woody frag, while in BELLE the lavender is a clear focus in the opening.

In contrast to Trussardi INSIDE (2006) NEW HAARLEM has a strong cedar quality in the drydown. And NEW HAARLEM is definitely sweeter and more woody than Balmain BALMYA (2002).

All four of these edps have excellent longevity and medium sillage. So, which of this group do I prefer? That's a tough one. Each is distinctive, and all are pleasing to my nose. Since I already own bottles of INSIDE, BELLE, and BALMYA, I cannot really justify adding a bottle of NEW HAARLEM to my collection anytime soon, though I'd like to, and if I can nab a tester, I will!

mocha43

This is a rich, delicious scent. I smell the coffee and vanilla, but I also get a chocolate scent (which is not listed). It is very long lasting. It smells more complex when it dries down. I smell the cedar more. This is definitely one that I would get in a larger size. Right now I am testing a sample and have tested it 3 times.

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

Luscious! Delicious! Beats the heck out of DSH Lumiere so far. To me, Lumiere misses out on coffee and renders too much spices that remind me of a chai latte in the end.

I was worried about this one because of lavender, not my favorite note, but I don't get too much of it. I get woody dark coffee. Made my heart actually jump and beat faster as I applied it and got my first smell.

eustacia42
eustacia42

OMG. I just... oh wow... you better be careful, if you're a guy and you're wearing this. I just may jump you on the street. Mrrroooooowww!!!

trax
trax

On me this smells like Salvador Dali Laguna with added coffee. Love it :)

This starts as a lovely resinous scent with woody patchouli toned down with coffee. I don't care for patchouli as a general rule, but here it is subtle and lays under the coffee in a more woody aspect, almost like the patchouli leaf when it's pulled right off the plant and crushed between the fingers. There's an almost chocolate feeling to fresh patchouli that is miles away from the oily hippy type we are used to smelling. As this scent mellows, I detect hints of vanilla and lavender but those fade into more of a feeling than a presence, like a breath of vanilla, a ghost of lavender. The overall dry down is warm and sweet, without being cloying or candy-like and the coffee remains clear, never going murky or milky. It's a lovely scent but definitely not your run of the mill fragrance. It belongs to a specific personality, an attitude. I'll retest in winter, but I imagine it's a knock-out in the colder months, too.

eljayebee
eljayebee

Didn't strike me particularly the first time I wore it, but I had read positive things about it (including a mention in an article in Time magazine), so I didn't give up. Now I find I'm liking it more and more,it's got that bit of skank that I love, and a total stranger standing behind me in line told me how great I smelled. A winner.

HOTRODS BY JP
HOTRODS BY JP

I got this one and wore it to work, and i love this scent, i got so many commpliments from women and men theye all say the same thing ,THIS IS A KEEPER i love this scent, but beware you cant spray to much it can be to strong thats the thing about the great colognes they cost alot and it is worth it the great one are made to be high stadards ,so just a couple of spray last a long timemy next one will be coney iland.

Kankuro
Kankuro

Coffe, vanilla, lavender and patchouli! This fragrance is HOT, it is like pure gold. It is not that sweet as it sounds. The coffee is dark and the vanilla is creamy. New Haarlem is rich and long lasting with subtle sillage. Now this is my favorite fragrance.

Sterling Maiden
Sterling Maiden

I go weak at the knees for fragrances with coffee ... and New Haarlem is a GREAT coffee fragrance. It's rich and dark, balanced just right with a touch of sweet vanilla and spice. I couldn't stop myself from sniffing my arm every few minutes, which would have been okay except that I was still in the store and, well, it just looks...strange.

I want it ... I WANT IT... and if I didn't already have some Jo Malone Black Vetiver Cafe waiting for me at home, I would have taken possession of a bottle right then.

APassionateJourney

I got a sample of this today and it smells like French Toast! I only put a dab of the sample on and it's STILL there. It still feels like I just sprayed it on. I really like this :)

rebella
rebella

Marvellous, jummy coffee scent. One of the most longlasting among the Bond No 9 that I´ve tried.

Works really good on both men and women. It´s strong, heady and will get noticed. This isn´t any bland coffee, no this is strong, black and energising. When I wear it I feel both comfy and uplifted. Maybe it´s the combo lavender/coffee that makes it? A lot of perfumes with coffee notes disapears on me after less than half an hour, but this don´t.

I like it a lot, but not really love, since I don´t feel like smelling coffee so often.

But indeed a must try for coffee lovers!

megannsmom
megannsmom

This has been my HG Coffee scent from first sniff! I have a small decant and love it more each time I wear it. Creamy coffee goodness with luscious hints of Lavender. For me, this scent conjures images of inhaling that first cup of steaming creamed coffee after spending the night before in a smokey, whiskey laced Blues Club....and yes, I am still wearing the clothes from the night before because I haven't been to bed yet!

essija
essija

This is a beautiful Rich Creamy goddess of a scent. Warm like a cup of coffee with loads of tonka bean on my skin. Spice is just right. Could wear this with no problems. Love it, need to get a bottle soon! Very Rich in deed and I love how unique it is..

mariotgomez

It was a cold morning when I was trying to decide what fragrance to wear. I was off to a dental appointment and wanted something comforting and soothing.

New Haarlem is a great EdP for a cold day. It cuddles you with soothing notes of vanilla, coffee and patchouli. I have been enjoying my morning(even after my dental appointment) smelling my wrist while sipping my latte. They both go well together.

In warm weather, just use one spray. Otherwise it can be a little overpowering.

guest_Lokidoll
guest_Lokidoll

I loved this one when I smelled it in the store, but when I tried it on my skin it smelled like my grandfather. It smells to old and masculine for me.

wegmann
wegmann

This is a very nice fragrance!!!!
the Vanilla really compliments the coffee and patchoulli.
This is what a-men would like to be when it grows up. Sophisticated and smooth.

moreda
moreda

Hmmmmm an odd scent.
it remainds me of A-man but this is the refinde and rich version. First thing appealed to me was the simmelarety to Arabian woods and incens. it smells really arabian to my arabian nose :)

I am happy to say that this one is not orintal like somany western orintals. Thumps up.

mariotgomez

As with most Bond fragrances, they keep surprising me with different notes each time I wear them.

At first, I thought this was too sweet and come on strong.

Other times, I mixed this scent with other fragrances from my collection. I enjoyed adding "something new (New Haarlem) to an existing scent."

This scent today smells like I am seating in a cafe drinking a vanilla latte after having picked some fresh lavender.

I have added this scent to my "I Want" list.

mariotgomez

The first time I tried this fragrance, I thought it was too sweet. The coffee, vanilla and patchouli came on strong at first.

I have only tested this and do not own it. If purchased, I would use this to blend with others in my collection.

New Haarlem by Bond No 9 4.17 out of 5 based on 804 ratings and 181 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 New Haarlem fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 New Haarlem, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify New Haarlem by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.