Designers » B » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

New York Musk Bond No 9 for women and men

New York Musk Bond No 9 for women and men
dislike

New York Musk is part of the New York Notes collection from Bond No 9. The fragrance opens with light and buoyant grapefruit flower, tart blackcurrant and galbanum. The heart notes reinforce an Asian theme, with peach-like osmanthus flower, lemony-green lilies and spicy nutmeg. Musk, patchouli, sandalwood, and vetiver support the fruits, spices and flowers above.

The fragrance is an Eau de Parfum, available in 50 ml and 100 ml bottles as well as a 100 ml limited edition with a necklace. New York Musk was launched in 2012.

Grapefruit blossom Black Currant

Osmanthus Green Lily Nutmeg

Musk Patchouli Sandalwood Vetiver

Accordes Lumiere Silver
Oud

New York Musk Fragrance Reviews

fuggerone
fuggerone

this really is a masculine scent, herbal woody and green, fresh green..it's a love or hate scent..it is great..maybe a bit overpriced!

Tardigrada
Tardigrada

Since Duchaufour made Blackcurrant note trendy, I notice more and more of it in nyche (I one can call Bond a nyche brand :D )
Overall pleasant, that safe "oh what are you wearing" office perfume. Should work great in spring, early autumn. I'd recommend this to a man under 30..
4 out of 10

JPS1979
JPS1979

Such a disappointment. This smells like sweaty dead animal to me. I like musk, but this is not like anything else I've ever tried. Most fragrances I can deal with. This one actually gave me a headache. Sorry, Bond! I agree with the one reviewer; SKANK SKANK! You said it, sister.

joe70062
joe70062

Tried this at Saks. Not overly impressed. A real run of the mill musk. Why do all of the Bond fragrances smell alike? There are cheaper and better musks available, Kiehl's for example. Or even Jovan Musk. Boring....

musklover817
musklover817

I have worn Kiehl's for 10 years and wanted to switch it up every now and then. I have a friend who is a Bondaholic and owns about 80% of their inventory. I'm not that adventurous or that well to do. I visited the Bond counter with her at Saks and informed the salesgirl that musk is my fragrance of choice. She introduced me to New York musk and I fell in love. She gave me a sample, as I would not make an impulse purchase until I was sure that I would wear it. I can honestly say that it sold itself. I bought a bottle on eBay and I wear it daily. I love that at the end of the day, I can still smell it and that unlike many fragrances, it doesn't make me sneeze,nor does it dry down into something repulsive. I use it very sparingly as a little goes a long way. Totally worth it for me.

aqua76239
aqua76239

SA at Nordstroms stopped me and asked if I wanted to try Bonds fragrances. I tried several in the past and none thrilled me but I was willing to give it a go again. She asked me what my favorite fragrances were which were all sweet and fell into floral oriental category. Based on that, she gave me sample of New York Musk. I don't know whether my nose just can't smell certain notes or what but I smell no blackcurrent, lilies or any other floral top notes. All I get is patchouli, sandalwood, nutmeg,in other words, the spices. No musk whatsoever. It also smells very masculine to my nose. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't smell bad but this is definitely not what I was looking for and too masculine to boot. It does lasts a long time(I put a tiny spritz on my wrist and it easily lasted 5-6 hours) unlike some other scents in this brand which I found to be rather weak.
For me, its still not worth a hefty price tag

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

MIGHTY MUSK

Nothing subtle here. It packs a musk punch with a soft sandalwood note.

I'm not a musk kind of guy - otherwise I'd line up for this projection monster.

jtd
jtd

Wonderful start! New York Musc opens smelling like you would imagine a dry cleaned cactus. Prickly, and dry, giving a tactile impression like the tacky feel of drying varnish. It has a beautifully constructed synthetic musk; not cuddly, not sweet, but also not like detergent. It feels deliberate and even insubordinate. This isn’t your mama’s musk. It's got that New York nonchalant fuck-you tone.

But then there's a strange, slow turning-of-the-screw progression away from dry-cleaner into a juicy-fruit gum, exceedingly sweet, soft musk. During these trapped-in-Jello middle notes, I feel like I'm wearing an hours-long bellyflop.

The third act, in what feels like a minor triumph simply because it's rising from the fruit (cocktail) cellar, New York Musk ends on a nondescript patchouli musk tone. Unfortunately, and this is an intrinsic problem to a musk that you don’t like, the ending feels like an olfactory, nightmarish version of the ending of the Beetles song, “A Day in the Life”. There’s no deliberate ending. Eventually you just pick up your head and think, thank god, it’s over.

from scent hurdle.com

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

One note: this definitely NOT start with a blast of rubbing alcohol. If that is all you are getting, you are likely anosmic to a major component of the scent (or, conversely, hyperosmic to something else).

The opening is a beautiful blend of grapefruit and tart black currant. This quickly settles into a fuzzy musk oriented accord that is comprised of black currant, patchouli, a subtle - and yet clearly noticeable - pine-like resinous note from galbanum, and some fruity overtones from the osmanthus, which combined with the other notes gives more of a cherry note than apricot or peach.

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

Something I've noticed about bond no9 perfuemes that almost all of them are repeatiedly regarded as ''just like some old cologne, polo, etc''.

I've never been a bond fan , it just seamed super pretentious to me, but now I'm starting to think that perhaps this is how they created their perfumes, simply by taking a old cologne and revamping it.

And perhaps they were hoping that if they made the bottles pretty enough, no one will notice what's inside, lol

pookerella
pookerella

This is truly a masterpiece. The opening brings the berry & citrus notes and the musk, leading into the mellow, luscious sandalwood and tender patchouli, wood tones underneath all along. Absolutely beautiful, not sweet, not cloying, very warm, luxurious, sensual. I honestly do not smell the musk as it dries, but that just may be the artful blending of the right, high quality ingredients. I found out at a very young age (hippie, of course) that there is nothing like high quality musk. Don't miss this one.

P.S. Whoever said there was "oud" in this fragrance is wrong. I am severely sensitive to oud in fragrance and, besides that, it is not listed! :)

Fanboy87
Fanboy87

I love this scent. Smells great on me, and I love the sparkling notes that pop in the beginning.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I avoided testing this scent for a few reasons. I thought it would be another ho hum of a scent, where BNo9 was reaching again, or rather they were trying to put out a new and improved version of Amber, New York Oud, Signature, Andy Warhol, and Manhattan.

I think they have arrived at the right combination for me. The first spray recalls the beginning notes of their Signature parfum, and oud is already present, but it is not loud and screechy. What happens in their prior oud offerings was that it gets louder and louder and very annoying. What happens with NY Musk is that is softens because of the musk itself, which intensifies, but not in a bad way as how some people describe here. To me, the musk is very mild, or I could be anosmic and not smelling all of it.

Happily oud is not the final note in this scent. In the final drydown the oud is light and you smell more the warmth of musk and ambery woods and patchouli. If Amber and Signature had a little romp on a sheepskin rug, that's exactly what it would smell like, and I love it! Oh-meegosh I can't believe I need to add another to my Bond wishlist. But at its crazy price, I dunno, I think I need to pick up a bottle from a non-retail source.

New York Musk, to me, is basically a greatest hit of Scent of Peace, Bond Signature, New York Amber, and Bond's signature MUSKY accord. Quality stuff as always. Blackcurrant at the top is nice but the musk is a tad too potent for my taste. I cannot see it as a versatile scent that could be worn all the time. Not sure what Bond is thinking, but they should have ended this concept at The New York Amber.

Francop
Francop

Gorgeous pure perfume composition of patchouli, musk and amber.

Give it a few wearings before making up your mind.

I have finally fallen in love with it.

Superb longevity and sillage.

Big Thumbs up!

Bbjr
Bbjr

Deppaholic is absolutely correct. The musk turns the stomach, wayyyyy to strong and overbearing. My own fault for getting hooked by the top note and not waiting 15 minutes for the stench to come through. One expensive mistake. Get a sample and go home. This scent by Bond is a downer.
If anyone wants a full bottle (sorry I threw out the box) ill send it pronto.

nszlufik
nszlufik

This smell caught me off guard. It was highly sweet and masculine. I could smell a dark fruityness about it with perhaps a little tart but it was addicting. Very nice smell and then the drydown happens and it continues as it did with more of an Oud as someone mentioned. It wasnt at all unbearable and I think its what keeps the notes from smelling feminine. Either way, Im surprised to see so many dislikes but the scent is not bad at all. Its a matter of taste. It is sweet and different and you maayyy not decide to wear this everywhere but you definitley could. I like it. I smelled this at Saks, apparently it is their special product and it is actually much more expensive. Id say try it.

rzetzm
rzetzm

Damn, almost had a good, all-purpose cologne here. Perhaps we still do, only it's just distasteful to me.

Let me just start off with this: the fragrance goes on easy, initially it's a pleasant, ambery, woodsy wiff of heaven. It's almost generic, but not in a bad way, but just not worth that much for something so easily accessible.

But here's the downside, there's that alarmingly, unpleasant, almost metallic scent that I'm assuming is Oud (it predominates the New York Oud!) and really ruins the drydown. Kinda sucks.

Maybe that scent makes it expensive, or complex to merit it's cost. For me, it's just not worth it.

bcoops
bcoops

smells like burberry men to me

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

No musk?! What? To me, this is a skanky, dirty, animalic musk. (Granted, I don't have that much experience with musk bombs like this, but still, that's how it smells to me.) This is not a soft, ethereal, feminine, light musk. This is full on animal gland. I do like the top notes, but the drydown is just too much for me. I almost couldn't handle the muskiness. I just don't see how anyone can want to smell this musky. I'm not sure who this would be best on, but it's not me. Sorry Bond! I do love you, but not on this one.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

First blast on my upper arm was all fruity and light and nice, then came the musk....OH SKANK SKANK....I cannot bear it. It actually turns my stomach. I can handle a tiny bit of musk at dry down, but this is sooooooo over bearing. Please try a sample of this before you buy it. I adore New Haarlem and Chinatown, so I can appreciate Bonds elixirs. This is awful on me :(

Strangely, I'm not smelling any of these notes! Are they being blocked somehow? I wonder... To my nose, Bond no 9 NEW YORK MUSK smells like a milder version of NEW YORK AMBER or HARRODS AMBER (which is itself a milder version of NEW YORK AMBER). So perhaps I should say that NEW YORK MUSK smells to me like a milder version of the already milder HARRODS AMBER?

It smells very nice (I happen to love the Bond no 9 AMBERS), but I was really looking forward to a brand new fragrance from this house, especially given the conspicuous absence from their line-up of any musk-centric perfumes. I have yet to encounter a single one.

I myself dislike dirty, sweaty musk (and I could never have been the concubine of Napoléon...), but a clean musk is always welcome to my nose. In the Bond no 9 line-up, musk seems only to appear as a very low-key basenote, and it is *never* dirty. Which makes a lot of sense, actually. The people of New York city do not need to contribute any stinkiness to the fumes wafting off garbage in the streets, and the general layer of dinge covering all of the permanent structures, including the subways, where rats the size of raccoons have been known to take shelter. Yes, these smells are virtually ubiquitous, everywhere to be sniffed, hanging in the air as they are as all hope of fresh breezes is dashed by the imposing buildings which simultaneously block out the sun in the city of shadows. The very last thing that New Yorkers need to be doing is inviting prurient leers from strangers. It's a big, densely populated city, so there are bound to be lechers here and there... "Come hither" dirty sweaty musk in the Big Apple? Not a good idea.

Given the low-musk profile of even this, a perfume with the word 'musk' in its name, what I am surmising is that the folks at Bond no 9, like me, do not really dig dirty musk. I suspect that those who do will be disappointed by this launch.

$$
$$

I tried this at saks and its light-n-fresh and the musk lingers close to your skin.This is so different than all the other bonds out there.It has nice sparkling fruity notes that pop inside your nose along with dancing floral notes its outta control! :-)Everything comes at you at once its immediate.Yes if you are a musk lover and you like a light earthy woodsy musk thats clean,fruity,delicate and mysterious its a great buy.I cant wait to buy this in november!

New York Musk by Bond No 9 3.45 out of 5 based on 71 ratings and 23 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 New York Musk fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 New York Musk, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify New York Musk by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of New York Musk by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.