Designers » B » Oriental « Groups

New York Oud Bond No 9 for women and men
dislike

oud
New York Oud Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures

At Bond No. 9, the Oud has come out of the closet and transformed itself into a smooth, full-throttle New York-centric perfume. What a paradox! Who knew?

New York Oud: The name says it all. Bond No. 9 is launching an expectation- defying oud—a beautiful contradiction in terms that’s re-invented the whole idea of this much discussed perfume phenomenon. The trick, of course, was to modernize and urbanize that exotic staple, the oud, and give it a New York verve that it’s never had before. A paradox, to be sure. But then New York is a place where impossible, magical paradoxes come true.

It’s only fitting that our beloved city should be given a seemingly self- contradictory oud perfume of its own. And fortunately, we have some experience with ouds. Back in 2008, we introduced our first, for Harrods, that proved, astonishingly, to be the London emporium’s best-selling fragrance—a historic success. And we were emboldened. For our tenth anniversary last year, we quietly developed a second oud, Bond No. 9 Oud, that mingled Eastern and Western fragrance sensibilities. But was that enough? No. What remained was to test the limits of the oud, put it through a sea change, and modernize it for our high-energy metropolitan landscape.

Enter New York Oud, which launches in time for Valentine’s Day 2011. Though we chose to retain the androgynous nature of the Old World oud, there is

otherwise nothing traditional or incense-laden about our new version. Instead, we’ve given it a dynamic self-assured smoothness—an adventurously creamy velvet texture it’s never had before. At its heart is a sumptuous rose bouquet which soon spins off into the all-important dry-down that defines this perfume: A dense and syrupy oud that joins forces with musky teakwood (another welcome new addition to Western perfumery) and earthy vetiver to create a lingering urban-forest accord. And linger it will. Its oud concentration is a full 30 percent—not the typical 20 percent of eaux de parfum.

As with its forerunner, Bond No. 9 Perfume, New York Oud comes in a superstar bottle that displays an overall laser-etched patterning of our signature token, rendered here in a smoky gunmetal grey with glints of gold—the colors of the electric New York street-scape as twilight turns into evening. Hold the bottle up to the light, and you’ll see through to the billowing liquid inside.

New York Oud ingredients: Top notes - Red Plum: sweet but tart—and ready to rumble. The very same honey-like Saffron that Cleopatra tossed into her bath to enhance her lovemaking. Orange Zest: Who knew a citrus fruit could have so much fun? Heart notes - An émigré Oud, Green Card in hand, taking on the New World. A Red Rose bouquet with one resounding message—romance. Orris: The ladylike iris’s untamed alter ego. Patchouli, prowling the streets of New York in take-no-prisoners seduction mode. Base notes - Musk: simply put, the sensual smell of skin. Honey—partnering with musk for some animal sultriness. Earthy Vetiver—the designated driver, adding composure and stability.

Saffron Orange Plum

Patchouli Orris Root Rose Agarwood (Oud)

Vetiver Musk white honey

Aoud Purple Rose
Agarwoud

New York Oud Fragrance Reviews

AndrewMoc
AndrewMoc

Rose Anonyme? Not at all... Not even in the slightest to my nose. The rose here is dusty and pronounced and slightly astringent. Ateliers RA is very well blended, faintly brooding and mildly sweet. This is really none of that. With that said I grew to like this one over the last few months but I may still be on the fence. I certainly don't hate it, since it is challenging to interpret, but the scent consensus is tart and floral and oddly I dig it.

A sort of bitter, young rose, bounces off of a light agar and heavy saffron. The agarwood does not feel 'standard' or even dense, but rather a light incense. An incense not yet burned, fresh from the pack. The theme here is light, however potent it may seem, but I find this better suited for the night, or one spray for the office. Yes, one, that's it. Maybe 2 with a suit and tie, but thats a huge maybe. I think its good, but I like Heeley's a bit better, whose runs in the same vein.

COLOR: Champagne

UdayLalan
UdayLalan

For me this one opens with a bang. A big
plum along with rose and oud. Unlike other
opinions I find plum flanked by rose and
oud as the star performer of this scent.
Frankly I dont like this. It's
just not my cup of tea.

But whenever I wear this compliments
galore. So this could be a good scent but
not for me.

Jaycfong123
Jaycfong123

First time i smelled this fragrance i didnt like it at all . Then i came back another day and ask for a tester and i tried it on my skin at the very first moment is an aggressive fragrance but 20 mins after it calms and the good thing is how amazing this is . After that i decided to purchase the bottle and everytime i wear it i recive good complements and people ask what fragrance im wearing . This blend of the sweet the rose and the oud remarks this fragrance it is totally a great purchase after it sattle down expect the best some people consider the oud from this fragrance very strong and dislike it but when they smell it again love it . This is not a fragrance that you need to spray a lot is very powerful and this will last a good 12 hours minimun you will smell it and other people will smell it is powerful as one night i went out on my friends car and two days after when she went back to the car she called me and tell me that the perfume stills remain on her car ! So you will pay almost 400$ with taxes for this fragrance but trust me this will last you years . If you are looking to buy this is a great fragrance a little hard to handle at first but lovely when it calms

Chaz1
Chaz1

One of the very first Ouds ive ever tried. It's for those who truly understand fragrances and can appreciate notes. I relate it to a good 100.00+ bottle of Scotch. Those who don't drink liquor much or who like to drink fruity type mixed drinks probably won't appreciate what goes into a very good quality bottle of Scotch. I feel about some good ouds. This one's a winner and wearable compared to many on the market !

Stallone Italiano
Stallone Italiano

the most beautiful fragrance in the world for me. I cannot live without this one.

It is so beautiful and elegant...

Powerful, sensual and full of charisma.

This is my signature scent..thank you so much Bond No. 9 for making this piece of art.

TheSultan
TheSultan

the most powerful of all the stuff I have. It was the first fragrance I ever received as a gift. Not something I would buy, but I came to like it. Very exotic smelling. I found myself liking it even more when it calmed down thirty min. after spraying it. If there is a stronger smelling agarwood fragrance than this, I probably couldn't handle it. It's very refined and powerful stuff.

krsams1
krsams1

My favorite of all the Bond's. Mega compliment getter each and every wear. Don't understand the haters and really don't care. Trust wear and rock it.

K1
K1

My initial take of Oud was: OK an oud perfume; way more masculine; which at least opens different to others!
It opens dark and somehow smoggy and fresh with orange and saffron. The fragrance is hilarious when immediately emerges oud out right after few second from the suspended rose application; it smells like icy Coca-Cola in glass bottle; and it performs bold and loadable till the middle phase when floral pure rose appears firmly and the blend transmits to floral spicy rather than oudy with considerable plum/saffron structure bone! So pity, the opening was just marvelous, but not the heart.

wesleyhclark

I was going to wear this for a day via a sample, but I got suspicious and sprayed some on the back of my hand first. Good thing! This is a loathsome and gagging medicinal rose scent; it would have been a very long day if I had to smell this on myself for eight hours or more.

Simply put, it is the worst rose scent I have ever smelled. Way too floral, way too sickening. People write that some fragrances give them headaches... that has never happened to me, but if it could, this is probably the one to do it.

Awful.

allaboutbeauty
allaboutbeauty

This fragrance is powerful! Almost to a point where I'm getting a headache but never do. You know that has to be high quality. NY Oud is one of the few Bond fragrances I like upon intial spray, and it just gets better and better with each minute. The rose and oud are very detectable as well as a prominent sweet saffron note. I'm really into rose/oud scents at the moment, and this one does not disappoint. It's no TF Oud Fleur or D&G Tender Oud, but it's right up there with some of the best!

Scout
Scout

Quite possibly one of the strongest scents I have ever encountered. Dizzying. I don't find hierarchy or pyramid here. Just different tones of bass, mids, and treble.
In the heart is a giant ball of mashed together rose, plum, and patchouli. Somewhere in there are the oud and honey making it all stick, with the resin of orange peel oil rising above.
I imagine this will smell good in about 20 hours, after a workout or shower and it has disintegrated to just a trace on my skin.
But right now there is a ball of sweet fire on my arm and I cannot believe what a mess this is. My poor rose has been beaten and bruised and she's bleeding patchouli at the open sore where her skin has broken. The dried blood reeks of prune.
So dark and evil. You want vamp? Start here.

aphexacid
aphexacid

I'm doing a re-review because my experience with this has changed some.

First and foremost, this is a very potent perfume. So much so, that it can be quite off putting at first. Almost to the point where you can't even smell anything for what it is!

If you allow yourself to get acclimated to it, you will then be able to enjoy this perfume to its full potential.

It opens with a beautiful Rose, tart plum, and Oud a backbone. All in one massive explosion!

Once everything calms down a bit, theres some saffron that creeps it head out and adds a bit more depth to the atmosphere.

I don't really get much of the other ingredients that are supposedly in here. Although there is a soft musk late in the drydown.

One interesting thing is that every single time i wear it, and i'm around certain people, they say " MMM you smell so good! Like incense!"

I personally don't smell the incense, but these people have metioned multpile times that they smell incense. Could possibly be that they are associating Oud with Incense. But who knows!

As for performance, its definitely above average. I don't however get 24+ hours longevity like many claim. Unless these people are factoring in how long it sits on your skin as a barely there skin scent. I dont ever take that into consideration.

That said, i get massive projection for the first 1-2 hours. Then after that, for another 5 hours or so, i get easily arms length projection. then another handlefull of hours its a personal bubble type thing. So about 12 hours or so, you WILL be smelled.

It really is an Incredible smell. Its got such an amazing and vibrant Rose. Its not just a rose that sits there, acting like a rose, and waiting to be sniffed. Its a rose that screams for you to some smell it! This is a good thing.

If you're familiar with Montales Black Aoud, this is NOT even close. This is an effervescent rose and oud combo. One that will invigorateyou, rather than make you feel dark and gothic like Black Aoud.

Get your hands on a sample and check it out!

BeeZo875
BeeZo875

This stuff is HORRIBLE!! I was told by three women in one night that I smelled like a wet dog with perfume on.. Needless to say, I gave this to my sister who actually loves it.

heymoe9
heymoe9

No fancy review. Smells tantalizing on me. Compliments abound when I wear it. One of my winter staples. Love the oud, love the rose, hate the price.

Deefit
Deefit

Apart from the heavy sillage and huge staying power, I have nothing positive to say about this scent. I've tried it for about 2 hours, but at that point I just couldn't stand it anymore. I wanted to scrub it off and I did, though that didn't help much. I scrubbed 3 more times and then decided I would just hit that spot with 3 full sprays of Narciso Rodriguez for Him. You won't believe what happened after about 4 hours, this came through again. When smelling my skin, I could clearly smell New York Oud over Narciso Rodriguez. This is one of the few samples I will never touch again, EVER!

cpa5oh
cpa5oh

Very pungent rose scent - I don't smell much other than that. Instantly reminded me of something my mother would have worn when I was a kid - an old lady perfume. I could see this scent being off-putting to some that catch a whiff. It's very strong (a few sprays and you're engulfed) and it has good longevity. I usually try a scent for a few days before I form my opinion of it, but with so many good choices available and others with high reviews that I'd like to try, I don't see me trying to wear this again. As a man, I'm not interested in possibly smelling like an old lady wearing pungent rose smelling perfume.

I am a fan of the only two other Bond fragrances I have tried - Coney Island and Chez Bond.

fuggerone
fuggerone

a blast of floral, gothic and nearly pharmaceutical oud, love at first sniff...if you are into vintage M7 can't miss this! Pricey like mad but great juice!
Masculine indeed!

michael.j
michael.j

I was trying to figure out why I liked this one so much. Then after a second cup of coffee I realized why. It's because I already own it and it's called Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (the original formulation). Bond 9's version is leaner and less powdery, perhaps a bit more cinnamon, but it's basically the same animal. For me it's worth a buy because since MPG's founder left the house in 1997, things have been downhill ever since -- many of the house's unique, idiosyncratic scents have been reformulated to calm them down for a wider, blander audience. Jardin du Nil is one of the ones that got seriously dumbed down. Very happily, New York Oud is closer to the original formulation of JdN than MPG's current, neutered version of the once brilliant, toothy and truly original frag.

Update: Aoud Purple Rose by Montale is a more intense, rosier, and spicier version of New York Oud. Better balanced too -- ingredients a little better harmonized. Less like the original JdN by MPG, but just as good in a different way. Wish I'd known how good the Montale was before I bought the Bond No. 9. I've learned very quickly that originality is not what Bond is about. They're good frags and I enjoy a number of them, but they're mostly very expensive copies/interpretations of more edgy and auteur type creations. It should tell you something that Bond has produced so many frags in such a short period of time and that Saks is their main US retailer. I own Bond frags and I'll buy more, but philosophically and olfactorily I'll enjoy wearing the Montale more. It's true that Montale may have overextended its reach into Aoud territory, by a few kilometers to be sure, but on the whole its idiom is much better defined and articulated. And it's very consistent. Bond is all over the place and trying to please everyone. Montale and Bond represent two completely different product identities and marketing logics, and it doesn't really make sense to say one is "better" than the other since they're basically apples and oranges and subjective tastes ultimately determine what "better" actually means, but Montale's eloquence and commitment to its own voice earn my admiration and my money.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Wasn't really impressed at first sniff. This to me is more of a women's fragrance rather than for a man. A lot of roses, very floral, metallic as well. But then the dry down came and I started to like it (still didnt quite convince me.) Will definetely prefer this on a women. Stays on for a very long time. It's elegant and classy. Try it.

wesleyhclark

Ghastly. Not only shouldn't it be on the same floor as Creed's Royal Oud - it shouldn't even be in the same store.

Hoxx
Hoxx

Let me start this review by saying I haven’t actually tried a lot of niche ouds, like Montale's or Amouage's. Pretty much, I am really not into the Eastern niche perfumery, not because I don’t like it, but because I haven’t had the possibility to try it. That being said, this thing is the most niche scent I have tried until now. And while I won’t be able to afford it in my lifetime, it’s an experience I’ll never forget.

Probably a plum note(I really can’t determine how a plum smells), but surely a fruity one complements the saffron in the beginning, making it less spicy than it usually is, but also more pleasant. In a slow transition towards the heart of the fragrance, you can spot the rose and oud adding to the sweetish saffron, and slowly overwhelming it. The middle, heart of the scent pyramid is totally about oud and rose, with rose being slightly more dominant. The base is still in the same mood as the middle, with added muskiness and maybe a dash of incense – while I don’t see it mentioned I had the feel it’s here in the drydown.

Throughout the whole presence of the scent – and it’s a whopping 20+ hours of persistence – it has a Middle East vibe due to the used notes, but is made in a kind of western way. It gives you a very specific oriental aura. And make no mistake, it is quite detectable, as its sillage is between moderate and heavy.

As I already said, I haven’t built a relationship with the oud note. I’m still learning it and getting to know all the varieties it can be put into. So, I’d stay away from the comparisons with the possibly similar stuff. However, if I compare it to the other perfumes I tried in my life, I’d dare to say that, even if I personally prefer a few over this one, this is the very best fragrance I had the pleasure to try. With its projection, sillage, longevity, the quality of notes, the uniqueness, the complexity, it’s really a creation matched by few. Only disadvantage is its abnormal price, but, if I ever smelled a perfume that might be worth that much, here it is.

9.5/10

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Comrades, you can say whatever you want, but this perfume is powerful in every way.
A mix of fresh plums with fine strands floral, intense rose with a saffron air, and a powerful agar wood.
An explosive combination, alluring and intriguing, undoubtedly a great perfume. It really could be cheaper.

Ali88
Ali88

I was searching for a winter niche fragrance, with a western oud interpretation. I liked Tom Ford Oud Wood, but it seemed to lack some crispness for a mid twenties guy. Then I visited Bond no.9's boutique in bond st and thought that New York Oud is exactly what I wanted, since I liked the opening. But the dry down was everything that I didn't want; extremely heavy incense, it was so strong that it was nauseating! almost like being in a Buddhist temple... I couldn't even get rid of the smell after washing it off my wrist for half a dozen times, so the longevity was painfully good.
Not recommended unless you are an incense fanatic, and don't buy only based on the top notes or the smell of the bottle

Bbjr
Bbjr

Hands down the worst oud fragrance I've ever come across. No comparison to Byredo and Tom Ford Ouds. I don't even detect oud. I smell musk and musk.
I've just heard that Frederic Malle is coming it with a new scent next month. The first in 2 years. How does Bond manage to come out with a new scent every week? No imagination.

rzetzm
rzetzm

Big dislike for this fragrance, and I had high hopes that I would enjoy this.

I didn't. The oud comes at your amazingly strong and it's difficult for me to smell much else. I do detect the rose, which is nice. After sampling this one I had the enormous desire to bathe to get the scent off of my skin, it's that bad for me. Even after a bath and body wash I still smell the scent, so if you're looking for a scent that lasts, here you go. I can see why some would enjoy this scent, it has incredible staying power and good sillage. Doesn't work with my skin. Onto something else.

CDGfan

To the western nose , this may seem feminine but to the Eastern nose its masculine, I have mentioned before this fragrance is very inspired by old school Attars(read my previous comments below about that) which are always unisex. NY Oud on a man's skin develops and drys into a very dark and dense animalic cloud which stays close to the skin, lasting all day . The top and middle notes may seem feminine, but the drydown is ALL MAN.

mibcar1
mibcar1

I ordered this fragrance by accident (I had wanted Manhattan but got them confused). Needless to say, I am so grateful I made this mistake. NY Oud is absolutely divine. At first all I could smell was a "patchouli" like fragrance and I became a little concerned. Once it dries down it has an amazing spicy, rose, wood scent and it is so rich. It has wonderful staying power. I was not immediately won over by Bond at the store but once I tried the scent on, I would have to say I am a convert. I recommend wearing this and giving this a try. Also, whoever says that this is better on a man than a women is crazy. I am a WOMAN and think this is a confident, feminine fragrance. I love it!!!!

dreyth
dreyth

Loved the opening. Unfortunately, this happened to turn into just another Bond No 9 frag that gives me a huge headache. It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to this. Good thing it was just a sample.

sekoujohnson
sekoujohnson

First and foremost, I do not consider myself an expert when it comes to isolating specific fragrance notes. However, owning a collection of over twenty colognes, I can say I know the difference between a good and average fragrance. With that being said, New York Oud is very special

I'm not familiar with Oud, or what official Oud smells like, but this Bond No 9 smells really exotic and sexy. The opening is similar to a dirty rose. I say dirty because when I initially think about a Rose, I think of feminine qualities. This rose is very masculine to me. Now as the fragrance started to settle in, it took my nose on a indescribable journey. I've never smelled anything like this before.

In terms of sillage, this thing will fill a room in a sec. I can also say that this fragrance grabs attention. I've received many compliments. If you like your fragrances to make a statement, this one is for you. Finally the longevity of this fragrance is a beast. I'm talking 12+ hours easy.

The only bad thing I can say about this fragrance is the price. As expected, Bond No 9 fragrances are on the high end side of things, but $340 for a 100ml is very steep! Some sites sell it for cheap, but buy at your own risk. It's a lot of fake fragrances out here.

Overall I’m really enjoying New York Oud. This is a must try in my book.

5228r
5228r

Okay, There something unique about this perfume and if you are on the fence about getting one, go for it.I had the following experiences
1. You will be acknowlegded by your pairs I mean those that have both good and bad noses, all had good comments about it
2. It is worth the price
3. It last all day on the skin especially on your pulses and even last more on my pure cotton and linen shirts
4. It messes with the minds thereby making them ask questions.....
5. Don't get carried away by the opening because it comes across as being too strong but it settles quickly into the rich sophisticated perfume it represents.
6.It draws people closer to you
7. I love perfumes and I have tried a lot this is worth the price if you can afford it, no regrets.

diego.cubillo
diego.cubillo

today I went to my main frag store really exited because I wanted finally to smell the all love oud, so I went to the Bond Counter and asked for New York Oud, after looking strange at me for a sec(I'm 15) the woman grabbed the bottle and afraid it on my arm, I was ready to smell a nice dark wood scent when all of a sudden I didn't even know if she sprayed the right frag on me, totally not what i Expected and left me with a lot of questions about oud. all I get is mostly a fruity flowery kind of perfume with maybe a hint of woodenness in the very background, I'm not sure if what I'm smelling is actually oud but I found the fragrance nothing out of the extraordinary and reminiscent of a lot of designer women's perfume. I was fairly disappointed and would never pay the price tag, tough I won't give up on it and will give it another chance. Maybe I should blind buy a Montale, maybe offend my senses but get a real taste of what oud is, I think. one that I didn't saw but I'm to hyped to smell is New York Amber, on paper sounds like a masterpiece for my taste

ALIRAQI9
ALIRAQI9

IT'S REALY VERY NICE
AND MORE THAN NICE.

TRY IT.

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

This is something I would imagine an old woman wearing, much less a young woman or any man. It's not a bad scent, but it's not something I would want to wear.

This "Oud" scent is just another product of the craze. I detected very little, if any Oud in here. Companies can just add a little synthetic agarwood in their fragrance, name it "Oud", charge a higher price and let niche-lovers feel exclusive and elevated because they think they are paying more for a high quality ingredient.

If this were sold for $50, I wouldn't buy it. Much less $250.

Cbarghout
Cbarghout

I know this smell!!. Few scents can bring me back to a moment.
Put the dollar in the belly dancers thingy said my jubilant relatives to the furtive 12 year old boy. So I did and now the memory and feeling can be restored.
I'm gay now and have no idea if this repugnant combination of in your face rose with a refined oud will contribute to a new generation of gay men...:)

EnPassant
EnPassant

Well... I know I could be killed about this... but let´s go!!!

I love this one... It´s SUPERB!

And I´m telling this completly impressed because to me OUD is a very agressive material (much more than tuberose - IMO). For example I bought (blind) the (in)FAMOUS Leather Oud by Dior and this beast made me sick... Oud pure and straight to my brain combinated with leather?!? Too much for me Sir... The other OUD-boy (I guess OUD-Old man, is more applicable) is Oud Wood by Tom Ford who I really found unpleasant... So I gave myself a try when I was buying Chinatown last weekend and I smelled this OUD from Bond... I was intrigued about it... so the saleswoman gave a sample and tell me to try to talk with this fragrance... And guys... I felt in love. This is finally an OUD for me!!! It´s everything that ever I wanted that Black Aoud by Montale to be... a balanced oud with roses... not screaming and punching you in the face, but talking to you instead of this. Always talking at loud, but only talking!!!
For me, this is the kind of OUD that I´ll like forever... It´s not a PURE STRONG OUD... .. And If you looking for something like this go for those ones I described above.

Finally... Great longevity, projection and sillage!!! And I do get the plum and saffron... Deliciously!!!

Why an OUD fragrance has always to be The Purest and Strongest Oud in the world?!!?

Here is just my quick update. The more I wear this, the more I notice plum, especially at the beginning. I am not a big fan of plum at all and it seems misfit in this fragrance. I wish there would be something else instead as plum just gives me a weird heavy tartness that could cause a headache. Maybe it's not meant to wear in a warmer day at all.

CDGfan

This scent is amazing but there is nothing New York about it, its a pure Oriental scent, specifically that of Arabian and Indian Attars. My Grandfather, has an attar exactly like this, which he bought during the 1960s from India. 10/10

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

I love this! Smells hot and sexy! I detect a lot of rose but not a granny rose. This is like a soapy rose. Yum!

Jayne58
Jayne58

I dunno. To me this smells dull and generic, but with something queasy-making lurking underneath.

Nichehead
Nichehead

I love this fragrance especially the dry down. I just recently got a sample of Royal Oud by Creed and I thought i'd like that more but i'm glad i went with NY Oud. It's powerful, seductive and sexy. The rose compliments the oud so well and the honey makes it smell so smooth.

Scentrist
Scentrist

One word: Gorgeous.

With that out of the way, I'm going to speak less about whether this is a true-Oud or Oud-like in any way since it results in a dismissive review and probably not the point with the fragrance. This is not a 'purist Oud' -- if one wants that, try a Montale or many others for that effect.

This, rather, is a powerhouse of a perfume. It is bold, assertive, unapologetic, and demands the attention that it tends to get. It is a rose/berry/saffron/Oud/musk creation that is perhaps the boldest and strongest scent I've seen in ages. it layers exceptionally well (I agree with the reviewer who suggested Cooper Square), and it has incredible staying power as it transforms - no element of the fragrance quite disappears entirely, but as you reach the Rose/Oud heart, the character really opens up well.

When I initially sampled it, I'll admit that it was a bit overwhelming. Give that feeling time to pass, and you'll likely find a scent with endurance that beckons every so often reminding you that it's still there, close to the skin but not quite cloying, yet drawing you ever nearer. Twenty-four hours later (no kidding), it was as pitch perfect as ever and still binding.

New York Oud is not for everyone. It makes a statement that might be challenging to the wearer, but it's a very outspoken statement that I'd qualify as elegant with a touch of brashness, a fitting tribute to the attitude of its namesake city. But it is not for the faint of heart, and for those who criticize it as being less than a true-Oud...yeah, we've heard that, and I'll grant it, but it's an interesting and fun experience. And for something to make such an assertive statement in an age of very anodyne scents is an achievement I'll applaud.

johngreenink
johngreenink

This could possibly be the strongest perfume I've ever sampled. I sprayed some on a card, carried that card around with me in a jacket pocket, and it was still a powerhouse of scent after a week. New York Oud demonstrates just how powerful the scent of oud wood is. In its composition including honey, saffron, rose and musk, it is a peculiarly sexual and musky scent. It's extremely complex. The other most notable element is the rose, which blends wonderfully here with oud. There is something funny that happens to the nose when smelling this scent - it has a shimmering quality that reminds me of smelling a wood fire from a chimney outside on a winter's night - it has that 'cold blast to the nose' sensation, which makes it a serious olfactory event.

New York Oud is an intense perfume that must be smelled before wearing or purchasing. Oud in itself is a strong, animalic scent that's not for everyone. There is something of the predator in this scent... it is the smell of someone on the make, someone looking to conquer. I found that it does dry down (over many days!) into something rich and sublime, but still earthy and aggressive.

Perfume enthusiasts really should experience this scent. It's unusually powerful and catalytic.

Perfumers could save themselves a lot of grief and many dismissively nasty reviews (a trend which may have been popularized by "The Holey [sic] Book"), if they would simply stop naming their creations literally. Another case in point from Bond no 9, NEW YORK OUD, as so many reviewers have complained, does not smell like oud. Because nearly everyone focuses upon the literal name of a literally named perfume when it come times to pen a review, all sight is lost of the quality of the perfume, as the quest to prove false advertising exerts a strangely powerful effect on sniffers, who proceed to spend most or even all of their words denying that the perfume is what it says that it is. In the meantime, some among them forget all about the much more important question: does it smell any good? I think that reviewers would do well to heed the wise words of Socrates, who maintained that poets are the last people to ask about the meaning of their poems, and perhaps olfactory artists, for their part, should not presume to be able to tell us what we can expect to experience when we spritz on their perfumes. Do yourselves a huge favor, O Noble Perfumers: name your wares metaphorically and leave it up to us to decide which notes are salient!

Fortunately, for the vast majority of their expansive collection, the folks at Bond no 9 have not made this mistake, because the names of their perfumes are, generally speaking, non sequiturs. Do they have anything whatsoever to do with the compositions themselves? No. They are nearly all the names of streets or neighborhoods in the greater metropolitan New York area, which, you can take on my testimony, do not smell anything at all like the contents of any of the Bond no 9 bottles. Thankfully, this house is not avant garde enough to bottle the sickening odor of serial killer crime scenes and the like, so their offerings actually tend to smell like perfumes and colognes, not some "revolutionary" but totally unwearable nonsense which seems to me about as masterful as a plate of plastic food.

It is true that, in the naming of their perfumes after neighborhoods and streets, Bond no 9 has gone astray in a few cases with their "map of Manhattan method", throwing darts which landed a bit far afield, on the state of Texas, or the city of New Orleans, or (?) department stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue or Harrods. But, for the most part, the names of their perfumes are just plain old places in or near New York City, ironically enough, one of the stinkiest cities I've had the displeasure of visiting. I actually cringe at the thought of living there, with the omnipresent bags of garbage piled up in the street, the complete lack of wind (obstructed by the buildings) and, in summertime, the sweltering heat causing all of those ugly, noxious odors to vaporize. In a word: No. If success be a job in New York City, by all means, let me fail. But I digress...

The interesting thing about NEW YORK OUD is that once you get beyond the fact that it's not really an oud perfume--certainly not in the classic sense--then you become open to the discovery that, in fact, this is a fine saffron-rose oriental composition. I don't think that it's the best one around, but it's certainly not a worthless piece of junk, as some "Where's my oud?" reviewers have suggested. Based on my preliminary testing, I'll definitely be giving this creation another try. It is quite potent, so there is plenty left in my sample vial for another time. My neutral rating reflects my dissatisfaction with the opening of this perfume, which reminded me somewhat of the toner cartridge opening of ENCRE NOIRE, but here it was more volatile and nearly overwhelming. However, all of that appears to have been a mere distraction, and after a few minutes I ended up being pleasantly surprised with the saffron-rose drydown.

kenzoh25
kenzoh25

New York Oud is mesmerizing. Its powerful, sexy, unique and classy. Amazing longevity and projection. Everytime i`m wearing it a have lots of compliments. Also its great for blending with other Bonds like Cooper Square or Washington square. It was my love from the first sniff.

rod7elfo
rod7elfo

this one is... amazing.
of course it remains NY, and if in that beautyfull place were existing Agarwoods, of course they should smell like this.
Modern, powerfull, ... amazing. It is the Bond`s best for me.

Wafa
Wafa

Even though am Moroccan i always had hard time wearing pure oud essence but deep inside me i was always looking for a oud based fragrance not too sweet not too oriantal somthing not too typically middle eastern ... During my travels i discovered many Niche brands that presented oud in many ways such as Montale , Armani , Killian .. and then came NEW YORK OUD by bond ..
Well first am a huge fan of Bond no9 ... i dont know i feel that they have some sort of magic going on in there laboratories .. This one is not an exception
Please dont juge it from the sharp masculine oppening which dont last more than 10 min , it quickly develops into a georgous creamy musky very feminine and close to the skin that last for more than 10 hours ,
This was a blind buy , i got a 100ml for 400$ , i knew i wont be disapointed by Bond ..
And now i can enjoy my long awaited Based oud frangrance

keshwean.akhilesh
keshwean.akhilesh

Akahina
Akahina

OK, there seems to be some mixed reviews of this fragrance, but this is one I really like. To be honest, I am not all that familiar with Oud, the real thing. I have M7 (vintage tester) and love it and have sampled some of Montale's Ouds and love many of them, especially Lime Oud and Black Oud.

This one is different and delicious. I do get that fruity start from the plum and the rose all mixed with the woody oud smell. For me there is a sort of heavy smell, somewhat of a waxy nature and quite delicious. The rose kick in quickly and in my opinion is very masculine. And when they say it is a 30% concentration I believe them. The spray on my wrist took a long time to dry leaving an oily sheen.

As it dries down it becomes even more complex losing the plum and fruity notes but with a nice rose, vetiver, patchouli and oud combination with the musk coming on shortly thereafter. Delicious and unique, very urban and modern.

This one seems to have a nice strong (but not TOO strong) projection and silage, and it lasts! I could smell the wonderful fragrance 8 hours later as a woody musk, and even the next day there was still a hint of the aroma on my wrist.

This one is sexy and a favorite. I don't care if the ingredients are artificial and complaints from some about being a chemical concoction may be well founded, but if it smells this good, I simply don't care. This one could be a signature scent for me but at the price of $310 for 100ml, I don't think so.

Bottom line! I think this one is brilliant, unique and almost a must have fragrance. The price will keep me from buying though...I may get a decant, but the bottle is beautiful, just like the parfum.

UPDATE: I found a used bottle of this that someone did not like. It was used just once and sold to me for almost half off. I get to wear this brilliant concoction more often now!

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

Interesting...another perfume some feel is too masculine or feminine. I think this is a wonderful scent and would be VERY compelling on the right WOMAN. Yup, I find this to be wonderfully feminine (I'm a heterosexual man) and would be drawn to the right woman wearing this. This seems to be centered around rose more than oud, and has some succulent fruit, sprinkled with some noticeable saffron and orris. The oud is probably the most subtle of all the notes, and that is fine, although if I had bought this blindly expecting an oud centered fragrance, I would have been very disappointed. Try before you buy. Obviously, I think the name is misleading, but it is a Bond. Definitely for the mature, confident woman.
UPDATE: So, I had an "accident" with my 4ml sample, and spilled half of it on my arm. Wow...Ok, big oud. This scent really is centered around oud, but I've never smelled it with ingredients that fought for dominance, because oud is usually so powerful. But the florals and fruits in this definitely "measure up", and balance this out to make a superb, very compelling fruity floral fragrance. I love it. I'm still not sure, I or many men could pull this off, but I absolutely adore the scent of this, and would give this to any woman I was going to spend time around. Seriously yummy!!!!

Catnip
Catnip

Unlike some other oud-based perfumes, New York Oud starts very smooth, almost velvety. The rose is immediately apparent to me. It is a bright, richly-colored rose, which lends its voice to the smooth tenor of the oud. I am completely enchanted at this point….

Then, to my disappointment, the rose’s voice begins to strain and fade. Another character arrives, bringing a harsher, chemical to my nose overtone to the composition. This second phase lasts for about 20 minutes or longer, and it is not my favorite. The ending is again soft, and the honey clearly comes through, without becoming truly sweet. There is also another, more vibrant note (the vetiver?) in the dry-down, which is reminiscent of other Bond 9 fragrances.

This is a rich, darkly woody fragrance that brings to mind clichés such as expensive, luxurious sweaters. I would have considered getting a full bottle, but I didn’t care much for this second stage. It has good lasting power.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

Okay so I am wearing this for the second day in a row. Let me first start by being honest. I thought, this was waaaayyyy toooo feminine for me. The most feminine fragrance I own is the Prada Man and some think that toes the line. This one here puts me on the Unisex bandwagon, scratch that, I have bought stock in the wagon company.

At the inital spray plum with a hint of citrus and a little flower (very little). The initial spray is dominated by the plum note. In about 30 minutes (maybe shorter, give me another wear to deal with the transition more precisely) the rose kicks in and shortly after that I guess it is the oud that comes in but the most dominate notes in the middle is rose and yes.... patchouli. It is a sweet yet earthy dank smell. The rose gives the patchouli a very sharp kick.

Finally the dry is honey/rose/musk combination. Very, very "sexy" very appealing to my nose. The dry down comes in around 5 hours later, the patchouli comes along for the ride but the honey and rose and musk dominate. So rating this I say:

Projection: 5/5, this thing leaves a monster of a scent trail for the first 6 hours and good sillage at 10 hours.

Longevity: 6/5, impossible right? Listen to me, this thing makes Le Male and 1 Million bow in worship! Yesterday I put it on out of the shower at 9:00 P.M, at 7:30 my wife tells me to wear the same cologne because this one was still going. Not only that, it was still projecting (she wasn't even close by) 10 hours later.

Versatility: 4.8/5 This may be the question. I do believe it could work for any occassion except somewhere like a church, unless you are going with 2 sprays max on the neck. I put on 4 sprays (1 on my shirt) and this thing is going strong so be careful. Either way first date, club, office all works wonderfull and the floral sweetness mixed with the projection and longevity makes it good for any season.

Scent: 5/5, the only one I know like it. There is something in Prada Amber that gives it some similarites, but where Prada smells soapy this one is sweet and floral with an earthy background.

Overall: 5/5, worth every penny! Why? Simply put a 100ML bottle should last you at least a year even if you wore it as signature for 365 days. Two sprays in the summer, 4 in the winter and only needs to be applied once. If you own multiple bottles then this one would be the staple in your collection. I was getting GIT or Bleecker for my first big niche purchase this one may end up getting the nod!

Francop
Francop

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

I have finally received a sample in the post today.

The scent is absolutely divine; I can detect fruity rosy notes straight away which are beautifully blended...

Within 20 minutes i start detecting musky notes which are also very well measured; similar to the musky notes in the signature fragrance but not as heavy.

As the drydown arrives, I can start to detect vetiver and more musk which I think will be very long lasting...

I shall return with an update in a few days...once the scent settles down a bit more...

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

This one is delicious and amazing! Honestly. I smile when I smell this one on the tester and cant wait to try it on me. I have been wanting to like Bond and I sorta did with the Riverside Drive but this is defining of the Bond lable. Sweet, clean, smooth, whimsical and serious.

I personally looove the Bond No.9 Signature perfume but sometimes I find it way too feminine. So I decide I'd go with this NY Oud because they both are similar in the overall sweet oriental feel with Oud as a main character, but New York Oud just seem a bit more masculine, smokier, and much sharper, which makes it more suitable for men, in my opinion. One thing I dislike is the plum note in here. I just don't like the plum note. It gives a weird plasticky sweetness with the weird smell. It's something I just need to get used to. Once I get pass the plum, I can truly enjoy what NY Oud has to offer me; a very rich and powerful scent for an ultimate luxury feel.

Kchild
Kchild

I believe that Bond No.9 is a real "chemistry" house. The line either really works for you or it doesn't. For me it usually doesn't but I've never felt compelled to write a review before.

I find this to be one of the most horrible things that I've ever smelled. To me......this smells like a sound. The sound of screeching. It's as if you have all of these ingrediants that should have never been put together trying to stop themselves from marrying. As they put on the breaks to keep themselves from blending they make a screeching sound. It's just awful.

Or~maybe this will make more sense. It's like a really bratty kid in your class comes behind you and drags his fingernails across a chalkboard right in your ear. This is how this smells.

The oud is barely detectable and stays on the outskirts of the composition never really settling in. The fruit clash w/the rose rather than elevating it. The patchouli is unrecognizable as such~it doesn't even help ground this at all.

IMHO~one of the biggest messes I've ever smelt in parfumerie.

Stefan
Stefan

A masculine rose!

That's good enough for me.

I love it.

Natalie467
Natalie467

Alright, I'll go first!

Went to Saks yesterday and got a whiff of New York Oud. I was already covered in fragrances, Guerlain's Vega on my right wrist, Sous Le Vent on my left (can't believe they had testers of those! Then I nearly fell on the floor when she told me the price $310-ouch!) plus Du 68 on the back of one hand, I had run out of room for the Bond.

I took a smell from the bottle, didn't think much, it seemed masculine and continued to strike me as that when I sprayed the circular Bond paper tester, which I tucked into my pocket and went about my business. Hours later I smelled the paper again and it smelled wonderful, rich, deep, well blended with floral and a touch of sweet. It's a little difficult to describe because I'm going by a paper tester and that is currently in the car, not in front of me, it's making the car smell nice right now :)

New Haarlem had the same effect, I sprayed the paper, tucked it away and after getting whiffs of it over the following days I knew I HAD to get it. So I'll be going back to give NY Oud another try and drooling over the Vega & Sous....won't be buying Oud unless they have it in a purse sprayer, which they probably won't right now.

New York Oud by Bond No 9 3.99 out of 5 based on 245 ratings and 57 user reviews

BOND NO. 9 NEW YORK OUD for UNISEX by Bond No. 9 EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 1.7 OZ
BOND NO. 9 NEW YORK OUD for UNISEX by Bond No. 9 EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 1.7 OZ
BOND NO. 9 NEW YORK OUD for UNISEX by Bond No. 9 EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ
BOND NO. 9 NEW YORK OUD for UNISEX by Bond No. 9 EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Bond No. 9 New York Oud Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Bond No. 9 New York Oud Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Bond No. 9 'New York Oud' Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz
Bond No. 9 'New York Oud' Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz
Bond No. 9 Signature Perfume by Bond No. 9, 3.3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Bond No. 9 New York Oud Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Bond No. 9 New York Oud Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Eau De Parfum
Bond No. 9 'New York Oud' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 'New York Oud' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 'New York Oud' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz
Bond No. 9 'New York Oud' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 New York Oud fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 New York Oud, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify New York Oud by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of New York Oud by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.