Designers » B » « Groups

dislike

cacao
coffee
So New York Bond No 9 for women and men Pictures

So New York by Bond No 9 is a fragrance for women and men. So New York was launched in 2003. The fragrance features cacao, coffee and mirabelle plum.

Cacao Coffee Mirabelle Plum

Angel Liqueur de Parfum
Ici

So New York Fragrance Reviews

The claim that there are a lot of fakes of this one (see the review below where this is mentioned) is interesting. Most of us probably believe there are a lot of fake Green Irish Tweed 4 ounce bottles, for example, and there is plenty of evidence (in terms of the prices and quantities on ebay as well as people on YT or blogs showing us the differences). What is the evidence that there are a whole bunch of fakes of this one, by contrast? I looked around but didn't see anything unusual (on ebay, amazon, etc.), nor are there any YTers or bloggers that discuss this. Thus, I wish people who make such a claim could provide some reason for us to think there are fakes, at least in the USA.

As to how this one smells, it's rather soft and not quite as rich or deep as I would have liked, but it is certainly pleasant, with strong notes that I tend to enjoy. It seems to get weak for a while but then it comes back with moderate strength. I agree with those who say it's not as strong as many other Bonds, but to me a good smell that's a bit weak is a lot better than a bad or mediocre smell that is strong. In any case, the main question for many might be, is it worth the retail price? If you are a "penny pincher," my guess is that you won't think it is. Longevity seems to be at least good, if not great (two sprays to chest).

Scrilla
Scrilla

Chocolate aftershave. So weird. Not a fan.

Redpula
Redpula

Yes there is a soft Angel by Mugler in this one. But my bonbon of So New York has it's own identity. I got nothing but praises as it transforms from chocolatey then coffee then Angel (patchouli, and caramel) softness. The fruitiness of plum is majestic and gave balance to cocoa and coffee. This finally settles down with some creaminess and woods. This dry down is divine. Though So New York is very well blended, I would still pick my Angel edp and edt for being bolder, deeper and outstanding. So haters of Mugler's Angels, you may find this and Fresh Cannabis more acceptable. As with my skin and nose, I love the Angels and FC but don't get me wrong, So NY is such a yummy gourmand, for keeps if I do not own the Angels and Fresh Cannabis, 8.5/10

cylence627
cylence627

This is a great scent however be careful where you're purchasing it from. Tons of fakes on ebay for So New York.

louanna
louanna

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Light and airy like a soft breathe. Nice, soft plum with a twist of cacao and also I can detect bergamot and peony. But alas, it is so faint, I would literally have to take a bath in it to make it last. I guess my skin just eats it up. But still, I love it!

bookishbeauty
bookishbeauty

Several other places on the 'net, the notes are listed as follows for this one:

Top: Bergamot, Osmanthus, Mirabelle plum
Middle: Espresso, Patchouli, Milk, Muguet, Peony
Base: Woods, Tonka Bean, Musk, Cocoa Powder

I have to say that makes a lot more sense than the three notes listed here and on the Bond No. 9 website. The opening is a wonderful juicy plum accord, slightly floral, slightly sweet. This is one of those perfumes that changes dramatically as it dries. None of the deeper, darker notes really come through for my nose at this point. Just lovely plum and a hint of flowers.

As it dries down, I start to smell a faint whiff of espresso on top of some florals (I can't pick out any particular flower) and patchouli. This stage is nice, but my least favorite stage. It doesn't smell unique or special here, just sort of vaguely "perfumey" to me.

About an hour in, the base notes really shine. No more plum or florals now, just creamy cocoa, tonka, patchouli, and espresso. Very soft. It still has arm's-length sillage but you won't knock anyone over with your perfume. This is one of the softer Bonds that I have tried, but it really clings to fabric and skin even though it's soft.

This does not remind me of New Haarlem at all, maybe just slightly of I <3 New York for All in the dry down.

scentsforme
scentsforme

OK…I got ready to go to town after showing ,I put this perfume on before going out the door… Got the town went in CVS to get my prescription, the pharmacy guy said ooh you smell so good! Then went to Jay C and the same thing happen…and Walmart too… I felt like every man was following me around inhaling my new perfume….So, just saying I like the attention a lot as well as the perfume…Amazing scent…So ladies try this out, guys will follow everywhere..lol..:).

smellME
smellME

WOW !
First Bond in the line where my olfactory systeme made the wave...
Three notes, but as I read here on other reviews maybe some more ?
This is coffeeshop feeling for sure , but with a freshness that the shop doesn´t add.
There are some other frags than Presence d´un femme that comes to live here , but I don´t wanna confuse you all. I save it for myself and sticks to that this is the most similar frag I ever smelled close enough to Presence mentioned hera above...with coffee added.
This I will remember to get when . when I see it..no matter what the bottle costs.
To say something , not as positive -
poor longevity I´m sad to say....

angel57
angel57

I have become a "mixologist" with my favorite fragrances in this line, and today I'm wearing Perfumista Avenue and Manhattan body cremes topped off with So New York fragrance. I'm telling you - the combo is sexy and delicious! I've received numerous compliments on this mix! The blend of the spiciness in all three scents with the extra kick of the cacao in So New York definitely works for me!

davitea
davitea

Well, if this is mirabelle plum I am smelling, boy they picked it way too early; it smells very sour on me. When I read here ( and also on Bond No.9 website) the only 3 notes of this perfume my first thought was: "they must have poured different juice in my bon-bon, by mistake" 'couse this is way too green, woody and aromatic smelling on me to be cacao, coffee and plum only. I get citrus and some floral too. Maybe my nose is blind to the main notes,(or my sinuses temporaly stuffed), but where is the stuff I am senting coming from?

The longevity and projection on my skin are not great: I am waiting and waiting ... and waiting for the promised gourmand notes to come; by the time I can faintly detect something I have to rub my nose on my wrist.

I still like it - it is just not what it should be.
It reminds of the old and classic Paco Rabanne's Calandre, but the only shared note would be bergamot, and only if it really is in the composition, as some of you Fragranticians are suggesting. Strange, really strange ?!

I will enjoy the sample but woud not spend $200.

LJernegan
LJernegan

This is my favorite Bond No 9, and it is in my top 5 fragrances of all time. I absolutely love it. It smells like you walk into a coffee shop while they are making a mocha, and the lady in front of you just literally powdered her nose. It is a chocolaty, coffee with just a bit of powder in it. It is soft and delicious.

rbcustom
rbcustom

i just purchased so new york and i absolutelly love it it is a wonderful blend of cocoa expresso bergamot musk and plum on my skin it lasts 7 to 8 hours projects well and has good sillage if you want a different sweet gourmand to wear in the fall and winter i highly recomend this fragrance but i most definatelly recomend to sample before you buy

Germany
Germany

Other sites list bergamot musk and patchouli as well as the mirabelle plum and cacao and coffee. Why are they not listed here?
A few people here said the list of notes above is incomplete. Does anyone know who actually decides or writes the actual review and list of notes. As I pay close attention to some fragrances I come across many mistakes in note listings.
I have just ordered this perfume and going by the review of many I am expecting a fruity gourmand , in the lines of innocent, nuits de noho with a new Haarlem vibe to it. I will update upon arrival .
It came and it went. I didn't like this one, I sent it back to the seller. It was some smell from the 80's. it was so odd I tried to get use to it , but not a chance. Super odd smell!!!

Jwaks
Jwaks

Day old brewed black coffee with a touch of cocoa powder and something green, earthy and musty, perhaps refined patchouli and moss. A bit of dark pithy fruit adds a sharp, winey quality on top of the dark base. Perhaps there's some rose in the mix about an hour into the dry down. It's odd and disjointed to say the least, the accords lack cohesion and seem at odds with one another. Comparable to a darker, less sweet and less intense new harleem with a musty, fruity edge. I now understand why this one sells well under it's retail price... Projection is mediocre as are sillage adn longevity. Add this one to the heap of mistakes made by the house of Bond.

Score 5/10

Roshap
Roshap

I tried this from a "bond-bon". I have a serious sweet tooth for actual desserts, but, as another fragrantica member once wrote in a review of a different perfume, "I don't want to smell like a pastry shop". I probably only like about half a dozen or so gourmands and I tested So New York with skepticism. Well, about an hour of chocolate. Not for me. Then it mellows out in a really nice way, and SNY doesn't really smell that gourmand on my skin. The peony, lily of the valley, patchouli and musk emerge subtly and beautifully. The list of notes above is not complete. Pleasantly surprised.

flkirkland
flkirkland

Just got this and I will say that I do like it. As many reviewers have mentioned, it is kind of like a watered down New Harlem. The frag stays close to the skin and, while it lasts for 3-4 hours, it definitely loses most of its punch in the first hour. You can smell the cacao and coffee throughout, and the plum is there at first but is lost during the dry down. I think it's a great scent for casual just-going-out-for-a-few kind of wearing, but it doesn't have the silage or longevity to make it through and entire day or night. And the opening slightly reminds me of Mugler's A*Men - a little caramel and plastic.

Cams
Cams

Smelt gorgeous on me for 5 mins and then it disappeared. Blind-buys not recommended.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

This is indeed...so New York!!! It is very modern and feminine, but it is also the scent of a strong, original, confident woman. This perfume gave me a boost of confidence as soon as I put it on and I find it very alluring. It somehow manages to be soft and clean, but edgy and modern at the same time. Very sexy perfume. I cannot believe it contains only 3 notes. But what notes!!

I get a floral note that maybe is coming from the fresh cacao bean... like an apple blossom, softly fragrant and greener that a creamy jasmine or less sharp than neroli. Is this the plum?

It is very nice for winter, and I am excited to see how it blooms in warmer weather! Also, it reminds me of a perfume that I used to smell all the time on people in the late 90s or early 2000s... any ideas?

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

Oh my....this sounds wonderful....I have New Haarlem and I ADORE it. Chinatown took me a few chances before I actually thought I could bond with it. This is next on my list....
Edit: I came, I saw, I conquered! Not loving this as much as NH, but along with Chinatown, I really really like this. Haven't tried the whole line yet, but working on it. Some of them are just like poison on my skin, whilst others just turn on the lights from within.

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

Smells a bit like a Butterfinger on me, which isn't a bad thing. Not a coffee frag like New Haarlem, though.

mortderire
mortderire

so i just put a dab on the wrist and this loudmouth co-worker comes over and goes "what's that stink? smells like glue! is it glue?!"

smh

she's almost 70 though.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

I was so excited about the notes in this perfume. On application, I found it quite different than I expected. It revealed itself on my skin to be a slightly oriental sweet vanillic musk. The drydown yields nuances of melted rum raisin ice cream.

Rich, pleasant but uncomplex, ordinary.

Silage: 6/10

Blimunda
Blimunda

Although some say it's very feminine, I find So New York very masculine because of its woodsy side.
I thought it would be fruitier, but actually, it is dry and all the notes within it smell "stiff" in a way; so when you see the plum, it's not jelly, but dried, when you see cocoa, it's not gourmand, but rather bitter, while the coffee is the grounded one.

To sum up, it is lighter version of New Haarlem, less complex and more wearable regarding the fact that the coffee note in here is less strong, so you won't be feeling as if just poured on yourself the whole can of roasted coffee.

The lasting power is average, on my skin, around 5,6h

Scentrist
Scentrist

I had recent occasion to wear this for an extended period, which turned out to be shorter than I'd have liked.

It begins as a very gourmand interpretation of espresso and cacao with this nice opening of Mirabelle Plum. It's the plum that makes this interesting and feel like a very tasty gourmand, and for the first 20 minutes that's exactly what it is. Then it takes a turn and becomes very warm and innocuous. Once the plum is lost, so is the intrigue for the scent and the remaining notes simply feel like a mochacchino on skin but without any strength of longevity. While a nice fragrance, it didn't strike me as outstanding and far too subdued to feel a sense of character.

Also, anyone who has compared New Haarlem and So New York would likely tell you that this is a creamier, smoother fragrance, but it lacks the projection and versatility. New Haarlem is a much more year-round scent where So New York is a cold weather (Fall/Winter) fragrance that simply melts away all too quickly leaving me wanting more but disappointed beyond the opening.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

"So New York" is very nice for gourmand fragrances lovers. I was hoping it'd smell like "New Haarlem", but they are pretty different.

"So New York" opens with a very brief fruity note (the plum) and soon moves to its coffee-cocoa-milk accord, which is really interesting. Though not listed here, I detect some floral base notes that last a reasonable time on skin, but with moderate sillage.

More feminine than masculine, by the way.

lfmars98
lfmars98

Not bad, but not great. It smells like a muted Flowerbomb with a little coffee note thrown in to me. Last about 8 hours on my skin. This is not going to be an attention grabber. Average projection. 7.5/10.

Before_Sunrise
Before_Sunrise

My skin chemistry is playing treaks with the colorful notes of So New York...

Remember Palazzo??

Not the renaissance palace in Rome, but the short lived creation of Fendi house, with the unforgettable bottle design.

From the very first moment a couple of drops touched my skin, I was immediately touched in the heart too.
It's those scented memories that seem to awake so freely because of an unexpected stimulant...
I closed my eyes and I felt my elegant floral dress, floating between bergamot trees and notes of patchouli.. Holding a boucquet of Lilys and Peonys while heading to the nearest outdoor cafe for my usual espresso.
I think I'll stay here for the rest of the day, drinking my coffee and enjoying the start of a brand new day...

Only three notes?! Really? It seems much more complex. A woody, bittersweet chocolate mocha gourmand scent. I can't help but remember the best mochas I've ever had--the way the frothy milk caresses my lip and prepares my taste buds for the flavor of the bittersweet mocha. The chocolate in So New York is very light, like the dusting of bitter cocoa powder on top of the best tiramisu I ever had in my life. It was in Venice. The bitterness of the cocoa powder made my tongue pucker for a second until I tasted the mascarpone and espresso-soaked sponge cake. Gosh I'm hungry! I feel subtle hints of vanilla, amber, woods, and maybe even the teenciest hint of floral.

There is a musty earthiness here that reminds me of patchouli. But I don't actually think it's quite musty enough for it to really be patchouli or to take away from this being a gourmand.

I get more of a true coffee scent here, like a light French roast, than I do in New Haarlem, which is mostly like sweet maple syrup or some kind of instant coffee mix that doesn't actually smell like coffee beans. I really love that this is edible without causing a toothache. The perfect unisex gourmand.

The only problem is that it only lasts 5-6 hours on my skin before I feel the need to spray again. That's why I got myself a big ol' 3.3 oz bottle, so I can spray to my heart's content!

kerini
kerini

The top is a little weird. Sour bergamot and sweet mirabelle plum don't mix too well in my opinion. Not for long and not actually unpleasant, just not something I'd put together.
Over the first three hours the mirabelle plum is the dominating note. At first coffee and cacao stay in the background but once the mirabelle is gone they gain center stage. There's absolutely no development and even though it smells really nice I'm bored.
It lasts up to 23 hours and after the fruit's gone it stays really close (too close) to the skin.
A very safe fragrance, I can't possibly imagine anybody being offended by So New York.

Worth the money? No way! I expect a little more than just nice if I'm dishing out the big bucks.

Cereza
Cereza

I love coffee. Boy, how I love it, so I was eager to test this as I've been trying to find a perfume with lovely coffee note in it. This has it. Amazing coffee with bitter cacao. The scent is sweet and definetely gourmand, very feminine as well. Downside? It's too simple, plain and with no depth. Really? I was expecting more from Bond no 9. I have tested some of their perfumes and I've found certain quality and uniqeness in their perfumes, but this is just cute. And that's it.

myolderbrother
myolderbrother

This starts off with awesome chocolate notes and then morphs into a very bitter marzipan. It stays quite bitter for awhile and then, suprisingly, patchouli-based milky and ambery espresso notes emerge. This is fun and not as heavy as I expected. Not a daily scent for me but most definitely an occasional fragrance to wear throughout the fall and winter!!

Bond no 9 SO NEW YORK does in fact remind me of the New York way of being, especially since the last time I was there I ate Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate and drank expresso!

In this barely sweet quasi-gourmand composition, black coffee and dark chocolate mingle most enticingly. The cocoa is more dominant than the coffee, but the combination is very pleasing to my nose, as the final creation is not at all sugary. Although no florals are listed as notes, there does seem to be more to this scent than coffee, cocoa, and plum!

I'm finding that coffee and chocolate/cocoa fragrances generally have good longevity--no doubt because of the oils in the beans of each--and SO NEW YORK is no exception to the rule. Recommended for gourmand lovers of less-dessert-like, non-vanilla scents.

guest_Jen
guest_Jen

I can’t say enough good things about So New York because this fragrance is very alluring to me. I love only gourmands I feel it’s the ultimate and perfect balance of a subtly sweet, creamy cocoa espresso scent woven with delicate airy florals. All phases of this fragrance are enjoyable. The opening plum note is deliciously mixed with the bergamot and it’s starts off the fragrance in a really sophisticated manner. The sweetness continues as it transitions into the espresso phase and quite simply, it’s just beautiful and euphoric. This is where the creamy milk subdues both the intensity of the espresso and the vibrance of the botanical notes and overall compliments the café experience. There isn’t a sickening sweetness because So New York is delivered as a successful, tempting gourmand with a warm, carefree nature.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

I have been wearing this fragrance frequently in the past weeks. This is a creamy blend of Cocao, espresso accords and Mirabelle plum.

Mirabelle normally a French name derived from the Latin word "mirabel", meaning beautiful and wonderous (perfect description for this perfume).

Ever once in a while you come across a coffee house that makes an amazing mocha latte with no artificial flavoring, only using the best ingredients. As you sip your latte, you enjoy a plum pastry with a perfect balance of creaminess and sweetness.

A nice fall or winter fragrance that will warm you up and leave you satisfied.

So New York by Bond No 9 3.95 out of 5 based on 169 ratings and 34 user reviews

Bond No. 9 New York 'So New York' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 New York 'So New York' Eau de Parfum
Bond No. 9 New York 'So New York' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz
Bond No. 9 New York 'So New York' Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bond No 9 So New York fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bond No 9 So New York, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify So New York by Bond No 9. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of So New York by Bond No 9 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.