Designers » B » Chypre Floral « Groups

Kobako Bourjois for women

Kobako Bourjois for women
dislike

leather
Kobako Bourjois for women Pictures Kobako Bourjois for women Pictures Kobako Bourjois for women Pictures Kobako Bourjois for women Pictures

Kobako by Bourjois is a Chypre Floral fragrance for women. Kobako was launched in 1936. The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Beaux. Top notes are citruses, aldehydes, cloves and cinnamon; middle notes are jasmine, rose, magnolia, gardenia, galbanum, carnation, lily and orris root; base notes are tonka bean, civet, benzoin, olibanum, amber, oakmoss, musk, leather and vanilla.

Citruses Aldehydes Cloves Cinnamon

Jasmine Rose Magnolia Gardenia Galbanum Carnation Lily Orris Root

Tonka Bean Civet Benzoin Olibanum Amber Oakmoss Musk Leather Vanilla

Opium Légendes de Chine eau de Parfum
Pani Walewska Noir

Kobako Fragrance Reviews

EvesFolly
EvesFolly

Fascinating vintage fragrance! I'm unsure if I have the original or the reformulation so I'm posting this on both. This is a beautiful (although definitely dated) aldehyde/ spice/ leather/ earthy fragrance that is softer and more harmonious than the notes might imply. I feel sure I must have the 1980s reformulation but I would swear the overall effect is so classic it would not be out of place in the 1930s or 40s. It's like something Rosie the Riveter would wear. It takes an old-fashioned sensibility to appreciate. A little soapy on the drydown, but not unpleasant, and incredibly long-lasting: 12-24 hours. Overall, a remarkable example of historical perfumery.

Update: On further exploration, I'm sure I have the 1980s reformulation, as, I suspect, do most people here - the original is extremely rare, having been out of production for decades. The Osthmoteque pefume archive has recently recreated it; what I wouldn't give to be in France to sample it! I can only imagine the modern 1980s version pales in comparison to the glory of the Ernest Beaux original, but I quite like it. I get the idea of exotic herbs, florals, and spices, only a hint of leather. I believe the original was very leather based: one reviewer who visited Osthmoteque described it as "Cuir de Russie with a blast of cinnamon." The rest of us can only imagine.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Very mossy and spicy enough to make 3 Biryanis, 5 chouricos, 2 chili con carnes,3 imam baildis (apologies if I left any International Cuisine out...). The earthy element and spices, pepper, carnation, cloves, cinnamon keep a strong hold in the composition and only towards the dry down vanilla, a touch of leather and Amber appear but briefly. The projection is gigantic and very long lasting, the quantity of oakmoss lends a rather Seventies beautiful vibe. It is very close to Opium. Only if you are madly into spicy florals venture towards it,it is extremely potent!

Akarui_hana
Akarui_hana

Wonderful combination of citrus, spices and incense. It smells sophisticated and elegant. If you also have a soft spot for powerful classics then you should give this a try.
It is a mysterious combination that I never get tired of, dark and complex. It last ages and has a strong projection.

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

Very soapy and not as leathery as I'd hoped. It only starts to smell a bit leathery in the drydown but still not very much.

However, it is still a very pleasant perfume and I'm not disappointed with my blind buy. I could wear this when I want to smell clean and affluent.

I imagine an older, wealthy Italian lady wearing this.

Sillage is enormous and it is very long lasting.

anessa
anessa

I have not tried Kobako yet, but if I may, I would like to share and quote a small background info for the name of this perfume; even if this might not contribute in improving this scent for anyone, hoping it could be interesting for those who actually like/used to like this perfume. From wikipedia: 'In 1936, Bourjois introduced a perfume called Kobako, which was packaged in a container "inspired by an old lacquered cabinet". Kobako means 'small box' in Japanese, and a kōbako is an incense storage box used in kōdō ("Way of Incense"), the traditional Japanese art which involves using and appreciating incense within a structure of codified conduct. It can be used to store the items needed for the incense-comparing games. Often decorated with lacquer and showing a high degree of craftmanship.' (quoted from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobako)

robot
robot

Kobako is a family perfume for me. My Granny wears it every day and she used to give it to my mum every year for Christmas so my mum, who never wears any perfume, used it for special occassions since I was a small kid. This scent has impregnated in me so deeply that... I can't wear it. I like it a lot because it's so close to my heart but I feel it's not mine: it's Granny's, it's mum's. Maybe it will be mine one day, when its scent ceases to surround me like it still does.

I like the slight soapiness of Kobako, I like the overwhelming bitter grapefruit skin and I appreciate the warm undertones I can't name (vanilla? lilly?) that balance all the bitterness. I like how mature this scent is. It's strong but calm. It is vintage, too.

Longevity is forever. Sillage is extreme.

susanmsuk
susanmsuk

I was fortunate to find one bottle of Kobako in a friend's shop yesterday. It must date from the 1980s/90s as there is a bar code on the packaging. I've been looking for this for ages so I feel I really struck lucky.

I think this is an interesting fragrance. I can detect leather in the notes, but not in the manner of Lanvin's Scandal. There's a prominent rose note (on my skin at least), as well as spice in the base, possibly oakmoss.

I wouldn't say this is a masterpiece, but I'm certainly enjoying wearing it today!

Smaragdas
Smaragdas

A pity it has changed a lot since the beginning. Although it still has the same sweet oriental thing in it. Good longevity, sits nicely on the skin. I like it the best after about 20 minutes from spraying it, it becomes a creamy oriental scent, very pleasant even for people, who don't like strong scents.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

The bottle look like a cheap version of an old YSL Opium bottle.

menka
menka

I also was using it 10 years ago. I did not know what I like, so I bought this perfume as they had the others. It was not my scent. This perfume was heavy, sweet and a bit oriental. Not for the 20-year-olds.

frusia
frusia

I used to like this perfume, years ago. Now I find it extremely heavy with some strong soapy aftertaste which seems to have replaced the spiciness of Kobako I remember

A.M.H.2
A.M.H.2

I came across a very old Bourjois perfume yesterday which has the exact bottle design as this one but the cover is a lighter maroon, you can say red I guess. I can't see it listed here unfortunately, its called FLAMME, I liked it a lot so I bought two 50ml. It actually reminds me of Estee Lauder Private Collection :>

SheShe
SheShe

I got rid of it, had a bottle about a year ago. I remember I liked it when I was a teenager but my tastes have changed since then. I sometimes like "heavy" fragrances but Kobako is a real killer that I cannot wear. Too heavy with a strong leather note I don't like - but I guess it can be liked nowadays too, just not by me - it's a strong oriental.

Anywhereyouare
Anywhereyouare

I have let myself to try this, since it appeared in our home. Love the fragrance when it projects. Exactly like the cloud of it in the room It's been sprayed. Marvelous, lady's scent. I feel lot of spices, orient flowers and woods/grasses. But I honestly can't stand it while sniffing my wrist. It feels horrible sour and bitter, no sweetness of it's projection. A heavy headachey smell.

I believe small doses of this mixture will do a magic, though. Because of it's mature, feminine, oriental charm, when it projects, also with a great sillage.

malwiniusia
malwiniusia

i remember my mother wearin in the 90s !! such a heavy scent! i couldnt breathe when she was aroung because the perfume was sooo strong, but nevertheless i have so many memories with it ! :)
it starts very light, but from one sec to another it is so strong, flowery, dusty !!! at the end, it doesnt last that long, but quite a while it turns into a light, nice scent with this spice which i love ! :)

Sissi
Sissi

Bourjois Kobako is a vintage mystery when
applied to the skin conjures on a vast
rubber and spice plantation in French Indochine of the 1930's opens with the
scent of Cinnamon, Chai, and frankincense
dries under the setting sun on grassy field with a sharp green note that can be overwhelming if applied to much as it
grows darker nocturnal jasmine starts
to steep though the warm air blown though the vastness of the night sky
roses bloom with it's blood red vibrancy
makes it defined and known carnations
adds to an fiery texture orris dries the middle with powdery finish, the drydown
is mossy but it doe'snt have the wetness
to it due to the dry Sandalwood like the
wisp of incense floating beneath the sky
patches of musk makes it ancient and
it's semi-masculine drydown of leather
finishes the scent.

Kobako is Elegance with a sting picturing a scene with Bette Davis shoots a man in broad moonlight in
the letter what do you think she is wearing?.

teddito
teddito

There are no notes listed here for this fragrance..
The perfume is a modern leather chypre fragrance with citrus top notes, vanilla, jasmine, rose, magnolia, galbanum, cloves, cinnamon, carnation, tonka bean, lily, orris, benzoin, frankincense, amber, oakmoss, musk and leather.

Kobako by Bourjois 3.10 out of 5 based on 106 ratings and 17 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bourjois Kobako fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Bourjois Kobako, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Kobako by Bourjois. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Kobako by Bourjois represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.