Designers » B » Floral « Groups

Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women

Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women
dislike

Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Bourjois for women Pictures

Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) is the most known fragrance by Bourjois, which was created by Ernest Beaux in 1928.

It was discontinued in 1969. and reorchestrated and relaunched in 1992. Its new creators are Francois Demachy and Jacques Polge.

The top notes are fruity fresh, featured with bergamot, apricot and peach, green notes and violet. The floral heart is composed of rose Damascena, jasmine, heliotrope, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and orris. The base includes amber, musk, sandalwood and vanilla.

More about the perfume see in the article: Evening in Paris by Bourjois

Bergamot Peach Apricot Violet

Rose Heliotrope Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley iris

Amber Musk Sandalwood Vanilla

Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) Fragrance Reviews

Mistressvoodoodolly

I really was born in the wrong era. I'm so enjoying reading reviews from the ladies who grew up wearing these lovely classics.

Mistressvoodoodolly

SweetDesire that's a beautiful review.

Mistressvoodoodolly

Blech, I was tricked by a catalogue which shall remain nameless that they had found Evening in Paris. My obsession came from a huge framed reprint of Soir de Paris I bought. It was 50s glamorous with a woman in front of a Rolls in a beautiful gown and handsome date. This was before I discovered eBay and Etsy. I will never go back to that new formulation. I have started a collection and found a full page ad in a 50s magazine so I am hellbent on getting the makeup too. The face powder is quite nice! The original smells sensual and spicy with jasmine and carnation. I don't smell those awful aldehydes that the old version of L'Interdit...I so wanted to like that. This is like an Hermes scarf blowing in the wind only to be caught by that special Prince Charming. It's a love potion and a single gal's declaration to be sexy and free. Go vintage!

Jennypennypocket
Jennypennypocket

The new formulation of Evening in Paris (Soir de Paris) is, in my opinion, a harsh, irritating, and linear fragrance.

Soir de Paris starts out as a blast of artificial-smelling chemicals, which reminds me of the scent of pink bubblegum and clove oil....It actually made my tongue numb when I inhaled the fragrance from my wrist! (Clove oil is still used in dentistry for it's analgesic properties.)

Last, I called this fragrance linear, because it failed to develop over time. The top notes were the same as the dry down. The fragrance stayed constant, irritating, even strong enough to be detected when layered under another scent.

Save your money unless you just want it for the sake of having a pretty bottle.

Buy a sample, if you can find one. Or save up for the vintage version....

Or instead, just go buy the classic, Chanel No 5 if you'd like a perfume that starts out rather harsh, but then dries down to a mellow and comforting, soothing yet complex, classy scent.

Silvissi
Silvissi

Well, i vote but for the vintage soir de paris: 10/10.

stacia79
stacia79

I must be one lucky babe because I have both a vintage bottle of Evening In Paris (from the 40s I believe) and a sample of the new reformulation Soir de Paris. They are related for sure, but two very different ladies...

1940s Evening In Paris

There is something distinctly vintage about this. There must be a bunch of oakmoss or orris root in here. It has that "classy but skanky" quality I love so much about vintages. Heavy violet powder and syrupy ylang ylang are garnished with a shake of heliotrope and rose petals. I see a well groomed woman in a little black dress and pearls dabbing this behind her ears. She checks her handbag to make sure her red lipstick and cigarettes are in there, then throws a fur around her shoulders. Her husband is taking her to the opera and then a supper club for cocktails and dancing.

New Soir de Paris

When first applied, I get amped up rose, vanilla, peach and apricot. I keep sniffing myself and thinking I put on Tresor, but I don't own any Tresor. This has better longevity than the vintage Soir de Paris and after an hour or two, the fruit mellows out a bit to let that iris-heliotrope-sandalwood out. It's much sweeter than the vintage and in my opinion, is more girlish. I see a well groomed woman in a little black dress and pearls dabbing this behind her ears. She checks her purse to make sure her red lipstick and cell phone are in there, then throws a silky pashmina around her shoulders. Her boyfriend is taking her to a swanky tapas lounge where a DJ is spinning jazz-funk fusion.

zzMaja
zzMaja

Oh - I used to love this. I used the vintage perfume when I was very young. I must get this again. From the reviews I have read here, the reformulated versions sounds pretty close to the original. Need this again!

Red Theodora
Red Theodora

I know the current incarnation of Evening in Paris(Soir de Paris, for the purists) isn't like the original. Personally, I have not smelled the original vintage. I like Evening in Paris the way it is now, a good powdery violet scent. A bit spinsterish, perhaps, but that's okay. At least this spinster still retains her breeding.

brittney0522
brittney0522

@ Orez, I loved reading your post.. I too have certain scents that take me back to a simpler, innocent, wonderful time in my younglife as well..

orez
orez

In every young girl's life there's this very special moment when she understands that the future holds great and wonderful things specially destined for her. For me this feeling, as if a magic wand touched my skin, took place one summer night in the late 1960s on my Grandmother's porch. I was wearing a pink dress brought all the way to Jerusalem from America and as I was reclining on a deck-chair gazing at the summer sky studded with million twinkling stars when my Grandmother gave me an almost empty bottle of Soir de Paris. The smooth blue bottle had only few last drops in it and I inhaled the fragrance, as if it was an elixir, storing the smell in my memory, knowing it will soon be gone. "Life", I thought at these quiet moments "is going to be amazing!". Not only did I feel beautiful – I felt sophisticated.

Princess Juice
Princess Juice

I've never heard of this perfume and only became aware of it this past Christmas. My Mom asked me what perfume I was wearing and I answered "Quelques Fleurs." She was surprised, and told me how it was a popular fragrance when she was a teen, along with Evening in Paris. She didn't wear Evening in Paris but it was a favourite of many of her friends. However, she really loved the beautiful blue bottle. I love hearing others share their stories and memories of fragrance. Perhaps one day I'll get to smell this one. She is correct - the bottle is lovely!

suzannegutting
suzannegutting

As I child in the 40's I used to look at the beautiful cobalt hexagonal bottle with a cobalt tassel crowning the top and wish I had enough money to buy it at the five and ten. I had smelled it somewhere and the scent haunted me. I finally managed to save the money and buy it. It felt like the best day of my life. I didn't put it on and wear it. Oh, no. I would open the bottle hour after hour and sniff it. It was so seductive and hypnotic, I wanted it straight out of the bottle. I can't tell any of the notes because those memories are 70 years old, but I distinctly remember sitting at the kitchen table sniffing my bottle. Last year I found it online and immediately ordered a bottle. What a disappointment! It didn't smell anything like the treasured memory. I wonder why they didn't stick with the original formula. The old formula was my introduction to perfumery which led to a passion of a lifetime. I can never pass a perfume counter without sniffing anything new and my closet is filled with half used bottles since I could never be tied down to a signature. I ventured onto the internet again to buy a men's cologne I used to love. Another bad mistake due to a change in formula. They managed to change Eau Sauvage from something wildly sexy and visceral and made it into something hum drum and blah. Two big wastes of money and two wonderful scents gone but not forgotten.

freddinos
freddinos

I know it is not identical to the vintage version, but given the year it was initially created, this is outstanding! It stnads beautifully among today's modern perfumes, without smelling dated, vintage or 'old lady' (and this is coming from someone who dislikes all the above categories but loves old ladies!). Evening in Paris is an intense floral,with rose, iris and lily of the valley on a sweet base. It has a metallic twist at first, but soon it mellows to a beautiful drydown that reminds me a bit of KL Sun Moon Stars.
Because of my job, I get to meet and talk with elderly people on a daily basis. A few days ago, I had the pleasure to meet Gladys, a lovely, witty 92 year old lady. She assured me that old age is boring because she only stays at home doing nothing, and warned me to avoid getting old at all costs! When I asked her what it is that she misses the most from her youth, she replied 'dancing and teaching the Americans how to dance!' She was referring to the Second World War years, it was amazing listening to her describe those days with a glow on her face! Evening in Paris is the perfume young Gladys would have worn those evenings, dancing the night away with beautiful American soldiers. Together with maybe a string of pearls and definitely a blush on her cheeks and a sparkle in her eyes... Beautiful perfume, will definitelly get a small bottle next time I visit 'The War Cabinets' in London, Churchill's secret strategic location during WW2. I saw it for sale at the gift shop together with vintage hair combs and other accessories from that era, but didn't pay much attention to it. Next time I'll know better, as this is a piece of perfume history...

garamascara
garamascara

I am so surprised but I like this one. This is an easy floral fragrance to like. Florals are not my favorite genre but this one is not cloying at all to me. Smells like a true classic, which it is. Also, the bottle is beautiful. Evening in Paris smells and looks a lot more expensive than it actually is. This is the kind of perfume that I want to spritz on my bed sheets and pj 's, it's not sexy
, but cozy and perfect for sleepy time. So excited to have discovered this today!

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I also smell aldehydes in this version. I think the original version, which we used to buy for Mom as a gift at Woolworth's, was also somewhat aldehydic.(There does not seem to be a huge difference between the two versions.)It's not listed as a note, however, and is soon taken over by the powdery and slightly sweet violets and iris.
On me it smells like make-up, in a pleasantly old-fashioned way.
The drydown is a little musky with a hint of lily of the valley.
This scent is more of my Mom's style, as she was not fond of gourmands and men's scents, which are my preference. However, it a nice way to feel close to her spirit, and it is a wonderful scent for a date in an upscale restaurant. There is a very ladylike (but not "stuffy") aura to Evening in Paris.
The longevity is impressive, although the sillage is on the low side of moderate. This is almost a "skin scent".
Update: The more I wear Evening in Paris, the more I love the drydown.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Aldehydes are not mentioned, but I smell them and it makes this scent remind me of a cross between a less animalic MY SIN and Chanel No. 5. Sorry to the fans, but I don't like this because the aldehydes are way too prominent. I'm sampling this from a vintage nip, so it's pretty fresh as it has never been exposed to air. While I don't mind the aldehydes in No. 5, they make My Sin unbearable for me and Evening in Paris has the same effect.
Tessture's review (the very first one) is spot on.

SweetDesire
SweetDesire

My mum wore EIP. It sat on her dressing table and she only wore it on special occasions. I used to take the stopper off and drink in the fragrance. One day I stupidly, and without thinking, actually dabbed some on my wrists. What on earth made me think she would not know beggars belief. She was very cross. We were not rich and I think EIP was mum's escape avenue. She always said she imagined what it must be like to be in Paris with all the ladies in their beautiful furs. Mum bless her has been gone some time now but I will be going on a journey to find a vintage edition of this fragrance, even if it's only to take the stopper off and be transported back to my mum's room watching her very carefully taking the stopper off, inhaling the fragrance and smiling.

MrsG
MrsG

Back in the day when I was young and dinosaurs walked the earth, the young ladies had certain milestone markers on their way to adulthood. One of course, was when you were allowed to date (anyone else remember "coke dates"?), when you were allowed to start shaving your legs, when you were allowed to wear something more than Chapstick and of course, when you were allowed to start wearing perfume. In that rapidly changing time in the 60's, while the Avon Lady was still trying to persuade you to wear Sweet Honesty (sorry to the fans...never could stomach the smell) and you wanted to douse yourself with Patchouli Oil and/or Coty Musk Oil (oh what olfactory memories!), there was still that little colbalt blue bottle sitting on the shelf at the local five and dime ~ that oh-so-grown-up, "I'll-wear-it-when-I-grow-up" called Evening In Paris. For us small town Southern girls, just the name conjured up dreams of bohemian sophistication ~ dashing about in a Renault, scarves flying in the breeze and smelling oh so grown-up and delicious. Now as an old lady, I prepare for bed time with a warm bath, followed by a spritz of Evening In Paris. Yes, I survived the 60's, while I haven't yet made it to Paris, I have been to Europe, I've never dashed around in a Renault with scarves flying but I go to bed at night smelling oh so grown up and delicious...works for me :)

MsDana
MsDana

On me it is a bouquet of beautiful floral scents, with just a very light touch of the fruity notes, then the lovely powdery vanilla dry down, Violets last throughout. Simply Beautiful IMO.

Mariah Carey Honey Lover
Mariah Carey Honey Lover

I have the Cologne version. This fragrance smells very strong and very sweet.... If that makes any sense It is my favorite vintage fragrance ever. I am not sure when the cologne came out can anyone let me know please. Anyways this fragrance is great for a night out and really is a sweet floral. the main floral note is Violet's and Powdery because of the Iris. Anyone who finds this please buy it, it is so worth the money.

olol
olol

I THINK THE OLD VERSION IS VERY VERY SIMILAR TO ROBERTO CAVALLI.

abrakadeborah
abrakadeborah

I have a full bottle of the vintage scent from the 60's. I cherish it, as it has such wonderful childhood memories. I used to get family members bottles of this for Christmas as a child. I really thought I was getting them an exquisite perfume. :)

I have yet to wear it. Maybe I will try it and see if it still has the same scent as I recall.

Soie
Soie

A powdery, somewhat soapy, floral. For me the initial note is a mix of ylang ylang and bergamot, which is quickly followed by violet, which in turn morphs into an iris note, as rose, jasmine and lily-of-the-valley also enter in but remain mostly in the background. After this point the fragrance become progressively more powdery and a bit less soapy.

During this transition to the powdery phase, the fragrance returns to its earlier note of violet, but this time there's sandalwood, heliotrope, sweet vanilla and hints of peaches and apricots in the mix (as well as a bit of musk and amber).

It is at this phase where I can really appreciate Soir de Paris -- its bright but still soothing and mild powdery phase. It is also at this point that the scent of it reminds me of Guerlain Meteorites perfume, only better, as Soir de Paris is a bit sweeter and has creamy vanilla and the fruity aromas of peaches & apricots right along side Meteorites' notes of violets (one of my favorite soliflores), iris, and heliotrope.

Plumiegirl
Plumiegirl

never smelled this but it can be purchased through The Vermont Country store online for 49$

cwolf
cwolf

I bought a small sample, I'm guessing it is the reformulation. So many vintage lovers have raved about this one but I can't say I get it. All it smells like to me is hairspray.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

OMG....THIS IS STILL AROUND....HELP...ANYBODY....want a bottle!

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Soir De Paris? I bought a bottle last week - I would describe it as powdery. Not sure if mine is reformulated, Could someone please e-mail me and advise on it? I have a dark blue bottle. What does the reformulated bottle look like?

Yourfoxiness

I was lucky enough to find a pair of bottles. Both vintage, a Toilette Water & EDP. After a quick test, yes, powdery indeed this is not for me. I passed it onto a woman who loves it & has no access to perfumes. There it will be much more loved! Truly a lovely & gentle scent if you can stumble across a bit of the vintage! Powdery violet heaven!

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

Well, it's definitely powdery! Good thing I love violets and iris, because that's the main thing I get from these. Very makeup-y. (Judging by the online guides to EIP bottles, mine is from probably the 30s.)Not something I will wear all the time, but I'm glad I got my hands on it to try.

bluemlein
bluemlein

Original formulation

What can one say about Evening in Paris that hasn't already been said? Plenty. Back in the Fifties this was an authentic perfume accessible to any kid who had saved her allowance for a few weeks, because it was carried by S.S. Kresge Co. (along with their divine fudge, 50 cents a pound) for one dollar. That would get one the slim lay-down vial with silver cap and silky tassel, with a superb elixir of violets and sandalwood and muguet and heliotrope, and a big box of scented face powder, that spoke of sophistication, glamour, twinkly lights and a suave gentilhomme bending perfectly over one's hand to deliver a kiss.

So what happened? The Sixties, that's what. During that decade there was ever-greater derision of what was actually a good, solidly-constructed-with-a-light-touch scent that pegged itself to a time and place (both mythological, both exclusively French) and that, coincidentally, represented all those values the young were in the process of trashing. The Sixties had to happen, there is no doubt about it. But everything that was done in the name of the new generation didn't need to be done; the world wouldn't have gone off the rails if nobody had derided this perfume, along with a number of others. As it was, "Evening in Paris" unfairly became a catch phrase for 'cheap pseudo-sophistication'. An insult to Ernest Beaux and to the Bourjouis Company.

Personally, I always thought that everyone jumped upon it because "Bourjois" was rather too close to "bourgeois" - people should have paid attention during their French lessons. One wonders whether Joy would have suffered the same fate, had its manufacturer been Bourjois.

My mother loved this perfume, along with several others that were considerably pricier. And I loved being able to spend a whole dollar on something that gave her genuine pleasure, even if I had to look away as I passed the fudge counter.

(c)Daisy Morant 2013

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

I get an immediate but extremely short-lived medicinal tone then out come the violets with less pronounced iris and faint rose. After a few minutes, the florals soften and I detect amber and sandalwood, which to me, make it powdery and balmy -- both of which I prefer in my perfumes. I can see why Americans loved this lighter scent compared to the spicy, incensed perfumes such as Guerlain or Chanel which were popular during that period. For the time, this would have been an everyday scent - fresh, young and affordable. I found this little .50 fl.oz bottle with plastic cap at an antique store in Wheeler, Oregon along with some other Estee Lauder miniature parfums.

One dab on me,
Sillage: close to skin
Longevity: about 4 hours

Jinjanoo
Jinjanoo

I never had a chance to try the original but I really love this 1992 version, in fact I have purchased two bottles incase I can't get it easily again :o)

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Today I just received a vintage version of this and I also have the new version...I can tell you the two are night and day. They smell nothing alike. The new one smells of very powdery synthetic ingredients, and the vintage is smooth, pure perfection. I get a bit of L'Heure Bleue from the mid notes, it comes into it's own in the drydown just lovely. This is a gorgeous blend of powdery violet and iris with peach and sandalwood.

This is a night by the light of the silvery moon, pure romance, a rendezvous with a dream...
But when at last, my dream comes true...I'll have a rendezvous with you
Sitting with him on a park bench, the moon reflecting on the water. Two swans silhouetted in the moonlight, violin music in the background, He reaches in for a kiss...their eyes meet...love is in the air
This is an evening in Paris

pickledtink

** Update from previous vintage review SAME BOTTLE!**: Now about 2 years later and much detailed further research I can be sure this is not 1940s but actually the initial 1920s juice and bottle. My belief is that anything special or beautiful should be used not a museum piece although I do take great care of this.
There are no top notes left at all so it kicks in with those heady powerful mid notes true to my initial take in 2011 review and is in all respects exactly the same in the dry down.
So this lady is about 84 years old. I've had Chanel that turned foul in a year or so!
Perfume is so dilute now that we are not used to the real deal. You barely need a touch of this and you're scented for 24 hours. Just amazing!

natural
natural

OMG! one dab on each wrist and... heaven! and soooooo long lasting! unbelievable! ( this is for the Vintage formula)

Reading all these reviews..i so much want to get one not for myself but for mom and tell her that this is a vintage perfume with love..im not sure if she knows it coz she never mentioned it before..i remember her having only one perfume for the special occasions which is the old version of Estes Lauder Youth perfume which i used to find very heavy but this was her signature scent for so many years..therefore i want to bring her something from the old days as i remember that she was very happy back then ...

Henriette
Henriette

Review of the vintage formula.
I have found a bottle of this scent among the drawers of my grandmother. It still contains about half of the perfume and yesterday I tried it again.
You certainly feel it's a scent of the past but in the very positive meaning of the expression.
It's very powdery, very long lasting, very strong but not too much in your face. I suppose the many years it has remained in the bottle have concentrated it.
The opening is almost strong but not aggressive, then it becomes floral in a lovely way and then it has a rich woods and powder feeling.
It does possess the feeling of its time, I love it!!
I am surprised it's not ruined and plan to wear it in the next days.

AddictedToLife

O wow, i tried to wear it more often and i fell in love, it is old, but doesnt smell old, its so soft, powdery, the powder is very gentle, not overpowering, but very comforting, i like it sooo much! And the real bonus is the price, i got it for a dollar, but it is much more expensive

AddictedToLife

I have a vintage bottle of this for swap! I got the bottle from vintage store, its 15ml, but its not full, about 8 ml left. The bottle is blue and bourjois is engraved on the bottom, the sticker is very old, it says eau de toilette. It still strong and smells good, but i dont like powdery, retro scents. No box. Pm me if you are interested.

Yourfoxiness

wonderful! just found a vintage mini of the toilet water & perfume concentrations!

Opalwind
Opalwind

I bought SDP or Evening in Paris for my mother on mothers day. She has not given any impression of any change, though it was about 40 years ago that she wore it. I had to try it once before giving it up.
The flower and fruity notes blended so well I was more than impressed that the powder dry down was subtle and did not impede the light lusciousness of flower and friut with a feathering of sandal and vanilla.
I will be more than happy once I've purchased my own bottle. I am an avid avoider of powdery dry downs but was not overwhelmed by said powder of this alluring scent.
It has a way of casually twining about you, lifting your senses and spirits without offending anyone else, who senses it as well.
Opal

srimati
srimati

The new reformulation is terrible. They should have left this one alone. I remember those citrus notes of yesteryear, but the new version is has no character whatsoever. Really amateur and cheap smelling, certainly not worth the pricetag!

christelucas
christelucas

Why cannot creative people create, not meddle with classics. One cannot improve upon the proven classics. Just create something else. Please.

I do hope companies take heed of all these negative comments on the recreated/reformulated and get the licensing back for the originals. THEY WILL SELL.

Found lovely "Oh de London" under Tuvache. It was originally sold by Yardley of London. Good news there. Seems they have the original and (Jungle Gardenia) under "Gardenia. Well, worth checking their web site.

I found the last bottle of Evening in Paris (gold), saved from some major damage to my property. I was able to give it to my Mom, who was dying of cancer. She could no longer wear it. She had it on her dresser in full view. I remember this fragrance from early childhood. Evening in Paris then took its place on my dresser. It want to use it. Hate to. I want to treasure and smell it. If I knew I could buy the quality original again, I would definitely use it. Not using only give someone a great bequethment, if no catastrophe destroys what is cherished beforehand.

Please bring back all the classic originals. Give people a choice at least.

Old lady fragrance? Perhaps the uncultivated mean elegant, classic, tasteful. Someone wrote about cheap, bling. Equate that with the trashy mentality foisted upon society. Let's put on those heals, do up our nails, ourselves, if only for ourselves to love and respect.

While vintage means old and quality. Classic and refined are much better terms. They bring respectability into a too informal, de socialized present. The 70's made society a bit more relaxed in areas. Unfortunately, this trend was taken to far so as to erase manners and showing one's best.

It seems some companies used this to cheapen its creations and offerings. Once solid expectations are loosened they are much harder to bring around again.

This web site itself is elegant and brings a touch of class.

Chao

poppyvanhaarm
poppyvanhaarm

loved this as a child - the blue bottle was so special somehow, and the fragrance evocative of my mother who would wear it going out ... she would kiss me goodnight and the fragrance would linger in the air after she had gone

desiraek
desiraek

This is my first review. I don't know much about notes and openings and what not. So, here goes my take. I am/was looking for a classic perfume. I made the mistake of buying a full bottle of Shalamar before smelling it. I was scared to make that mistake again. But, the look and the reviews of Evening in Paris intrigued me. I found a few unbroken viles from the 50s or early 60s. I put it on this morning. I actually like it. I feel like I smell like a very classy old lady. :) Though most of it has worn off, the scent is still lingering a bit. I would like to get a full bottle, but have read the reviews saying that it has changed. I am rather frightened to buy a big bottle and not like the change. Can anyone tell me if it has changed drastically?

Are there any perfumes that have been around the last 50+ years that hasn't changed?

pickledtink

This is for the original vintage.
I have finally got my hands on a 1940s bottle of the real deal.
With so many fakes although I knew I had the real bottle and box I have only now ventured to put the juice to the test. It's difficult to find any real clear info' on the notes of the original but as soon as I dared to open it I was hopeful. I have the Parfum. French not in English.
This is it! Wafts out and stays around hovering without even applying so much as a precious drop.
Everything people say about the nostalgia and sheer charisma is true.
You are transported back to war time longing and desperate romance. Red red lipstick, powder, stockings and underlying sexual frisson.
The earlier years from it's first creation in 1928 between the wars holds true for the emotional feel too. Glamour, the past horror of WW1, women asserting their power and confidence with the huge changes yet to come.
All this in one tiny blue bottle.
Now wearing it for the first hour:
From what I can find through research there were originally some citrus in the top notes with aldehydic floral predominantly violet flitting in and out of jasmine, some kind of rose and down to an animal note with sandal or other wood softly in the base.
It's so much more, complex but stable throughout.
I think mine is too old to have kept the top notes totally so not in balance but it doesn't matter for what comes in immediately is rich, deep creamy seductive. A heady waft of old time Hollywood. Amazing for a fragrance 70 years old compared to today's vastly expensive offerings which will go off within a few years!
Then something dark and deeply elusive but downright sexual. I've read speculation on dark carnation but it's more than that. Something pure animal here lurking and flitting. Probably one of the old forbidden real extracts. I don't know but we just don't get this in fragrances any more.
For sure this blows C no 5 out of the water despite supposedly being of the same family.
It's never sharp, acidic or asking time to adjust itself for it's next phase and stays constant in presence throughout.
Takes no prisoners for sure but stays true despite many barely realised tantalising glimpses. Now I'm getting spice but even as my nose searches for it again it's gone. For a moment cinnamon then demurely settling into Muguet for a while before that dark sexy animal faint suggestive note comes back. This lady is definitely a bad bad flirt with the confidence that she holds an impeccable pedigree and is wholly in command. As has been said many times the astonishing thing is it's unchanging presence throughout.
I'm stunned by the complexity and nuances however.

More spice now but subtle within the lingering florals smoothly floating down into some gentle light woodsy tone laced with something I simply cannot define. Certainly not the vanilla which is poured with a heavy hand into so many base notes now including the reformulated joke they have made of Soir de Paris.

They sold this for how much!
I'm blown away. Thinking of what we have to pay for anything half decent now and all this from what was a cheap little scent. It makes me realise how very formulaic modern scents are. Boring, same , same, same.
I bought this as a historical piece for my collection expecting very little but some powdery overhyped nostalgic floral pong.
Oh how wrong I was.
Worse though!
I'm simply not going to be able to resist using it sometimes. Secret weapon? Yup. Those ladies definitely knew what they were doing dabbing a little of this behind their ears and knees.....

** Update**: Now about 2 years later and much detailed further research I can be sure this is not 1940s but actually the initial 1920s juice and bottle. My belief is that anything special or beautiful should be used not a museum piece although I do take great care of this.
There are no top notes left at all so it kicks in with those heady powerful mid notes true to my initial take above and is in all respects exactly the same in the dry down.

This is possibly the most well known of vintage fragrances, as everyone remembers a mother, grandmother or aunt who wore this. To me this is a delicate compositon of soft florals, mostly violet, with a touch of powder, and has a bit more muskiness in the drydown than I was expecting. This smells very ladylike, and gives an impression that there was a time when a lady didn't leave the house until her hair was perfect, her face was powdered, and she had a slick of matte lipstick. This is an understated beauty, an everyday sort of beauty, a perfume to wear because a true lady is simply supposed to smell pretty. This fragance is a classic soft floral scent and doesn't seem dated to me. I like this scent and I'd love to have a bottle for the pure nostalgia and occassional wearing. My review is for the original eau de cologne.

treenhe
treenhe

i never owned/knew the original formulation of this so this is a review of the modern fragrance. after spraying it, it went through about 3-4 distinct different phases in about 5 minutes....it seemed to be trying to make up it's mind what it wanted to be :) i got a bit of lily of the valley, a bit of violet and a little (wish it was more) iris. it was powdery in an old make-up sense. it reminds me of oscar by oscar de la renta but more wearable for me. it's well blended but overall i think i found it's composition just a little dated for me. i can see why it was so popular and i can see why people love it. i think i might even grow to love it but at first sniff it didn't wow me. it died down to a musky, vanillary-ness which isn't the best for me so maybe that's it. i'm thinking that it's strictly an evening/winter scent for me which isn't something i usually stick to... i like my fragrances to work hard in whatever season we happen to be in. lasts ages. having seen the pictures, it's a shame the new bottles are nothing like the originals too.

jasmasid
jasmasid

Just loved it when I was a little girl in the 1960s. Can't stand the reformulated version. Costs too much and smells not much more impressive than household air freshener. I wish the vintage one would reappear by magic. I would buy lots of it.
Speaking of household and air-fresheners, I read somewhere that more than 85% of the world's fragrance output goes into household detergents and other cleaning materials!

krmarich
krmarich

I cannot forget my grandmother with this very blue 1928 classic. She always had some on her vanity and I always believed genies lived in it! I add a drop to my pillow and feel she is near. When she left the world in 1968-EIP oddly vanished with her. She reminded me of Coco Chanel, who loved EIP herself ironically!

It is a very French perfume-blue, stately, and elegant. It followed in the footsteps of all of the classics and was marketed for the masses. The reformulation was acceptable and overpriced. It was not the same! Perhaps that is why it flopped?

As a fragrance, its rather linear and decidedly "blue"-lots of violet and vanilla. Gone are the fur collars, heeled shoes with nylons, sensible dresses, face powder and EIP. This is truely from a bygone era...

Celebrity=Edith Piaf

Marangoni
Marangoni

It was my grandmother's scent! She never asked for anything, but this was an exception. She must have loved it. She was a delicate person, she loved to play the piano. She came from a time when dreaming of Paris and its artistic atmosphere was a vital part of existence, a full time occupation. I don't remember if she ever went there, but the spirit of Paris was very present in our house, it was an ideal that I never seem to find when I go there. Now I see why I got the perfume gene, scent is probably the fastest way to travel in time. It's beautiful!

rye
rye

We were not rich but my mother had and still has at 96 years old, lovely taste, and made all our clothes. She was petite with beautiful Veronica Lake hair and she always wore Evening in Paris. I would put on her sweaters and swan around the house like a movie star.

Evening in Paris was inexpensive but very well made and although today's formulation is not quite the same, it's still worth owning if your a collector. It's nostalgic in all the right places.

weegee
weegee

For many years this was bottled at a factory in my hometown, Rochester, New York. My sweetheart's older brother got a job there in 1968 while he was still in high school and before he got a car so he rode the bus. He positively reeked of E in P and said he could ALWAYS get a seat on the bus because people would move away from wherever he was standing. His friends teased him with the nickname "Rosebud"! Powerful stuff!

The little bottles were so inexpensive at Woolworth and at Neisner's, two "five and dime" stores, and as a little girl I could literally save my pennies, nickels and dimes and be able to afford to buy a bottle for my mom for special occasions. Beyond those first dabs from the bottle after she unwrapped my gift I don't think she ever wore it again, forever cementing the idea in my mind that with gifts it's surely "the thought that counts."

Powdery jasmine, lily of the valley and sandalwood, this is the fragrance of a quilted satin handkerchief box or the sweet scent of a lingerie drawer where little pillows of sachet have been tucked in.

Not a fragrance I'd ever wear (or give!) again, but for me it's 100% concentration of nostalgia in a bottle and I'm glad so many people remember it fondly, even if for the memories instead of the scent.

Bottle #3 (in photo of EinP bottles in the marvelous article in the Vintages section here) was sold into the 1960's -- it's the one I always bought for my mom. I think it sold for less than fifty cents.

sophisticated
sophisticated

oh!! i'm teary-eyed right now, that was my grandma's signature perfume, i used to know she was coming before i could even see her from her scent (my inner vampire senses maybe!!)... aaaah!! i really can't dare to try it because it reminds me of her so much, i still have the last almost-empty bottle she used though -untouched- just perfectly saved, the bottle itself is kinda decorative... anyways, great lingering distinct scent, nice bottle, wonderful memories :)

Lady Love
Lady Love

( Vintage Soir de Paris Cologne )

Is easy to know why this beauty was the most "The Most Popular Fragrance in the World". Ernest Beaux is a genius.

While vintage Chanel N5 opens with a touch of intense creamy-lemon and neroly notes, Evening in Paris is dominated by a gorgeous combination of peach-Violet and Iris, Once this notes fade, here comes a wonderful violet/rose-vanillic drydown.

Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) is a warm, plenty and pleasant floral scent, with a complex base that makes this more interesting.

Vintage Eau de cologne is extremely close to the skin, last about 2 hours, this is very good for a Eau de cologne.

The blue cobalt bottle is Magic :)

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

I have both the new version and the old version. They are totally different. The new version is very harsh and smells chemical. I can't abide it and was disappointed when I opened the bottle. You see this was my mother's perfume when I was a very little girl and I remember a bottle was always on her dressing table. When I bought a bottle on e-bay of the vintage perfume I did not hold many hopes. But I opened it and at once remembered the smell of my mother on a Sunday morning. It is a soft beautiful floral with aldehydes. It's hard to believe this was a dime store perfume. The new version is a real dis-service to the old version. They should have named it something else.

If you really want the true Evening in Paris your grandmother/mother wore try e-bay, garage sales and flea markets.

this was my grandmother's signature fragrance. she gave me a little dark blue bottle of this in the late 60's. my 1st perfume. i always loved this soft, powdery beautiful scent. i would like to find this again as i will never use the remainder that is in the bottle she gave me so long ago. i don't know if it will still smell the same, but as a child this was the "it" scent for me. i've always been so intrigued by it's powdery scent and the midnight blue bottle. memories!

Sassy1
Sassy1

This was my very 1st perfume. My mom gave me a bottle (the one that has the striped/acorn looking top)when I was about 6.
I remember I wore the hell out of it, but can't for the life of me remember what it smelled like.
I know it was a very commom cheap 5 & Dime (that's a drugstore for those under 40)fragrance and probably cost all of .50 cents or less.
I've never smelled it since and probably won't unless I run across a free sample somewhere which isn't very likely.
Ah, youth!

guest_Teewriter
guest_Teewriter

@guest_
You can get this through the mail order catalog Vermont Country Store. They also sell it online. It is located in Vermont USA.

Is there anywhere you can buy "Evening in Paris" in Paris? I saw it a year ago in Monoprix, but this year
it was not to be found anywhere? Hopefully, you
can tell me if anyone carries it in Paris.

Merci

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

This was THE perfume to give as a gift back in the mid-century days of the 40s 50s and into the 60s. It came in wonderful gift sets that were affordable .
The blue bottles hinted at a more exotic perfume but the scent was powdery and did not have a strong over bearing smell. This was probably the reason it had such universal appeal. Pretty much any one could wear it and they did ! I think every lady had a bottle on her dresser received as a gift as I recall. Then the world changed and Evening in Paris disappeared from the shelves. The lovely blue bottles were pushed aside and replaced with Faberge and Charlie and the ghastly musk oils of the seventies. Women wanted to be noticed and not wear the lady like scent of Evening in Paris. I still keep a vintage bottle of Evening in Paris as a memento of a different time. It reminds me a time when mothers cautioned their daughter to not talk too loud , make sure their slip wasn't showing , not act boy crazy or wear strong smelling perfume. Evening in Paris was the ultimate ladies perfume.

cisco
cisco

In the late fifties I bought this at Woolworths and proudly gave it to my Mom. I too am sentimental about this one. I don't remember the smell but I do remember the beautiful cobalt blue bottle. Here I am getting all misty about my Mother, now gone, and those long ago days.

delphine67
delphine67

When I whas younger my grandmother gave me a bottle. Its such a special scent that I can not compare with anything else. Sweet and powdery.

RobLyn
RobLyn

My great-grandmother always wore the original version of this, it is a scent that always brings back fond childhood memories. For many years I had a throw pillow from her house, I keep it stored in plastic bag to keep the scent. For years I would take it out and smell it and remember that wonderful, colorful lady from my early childhood who always made me feel special and beautiful.

Sargas
Sargas

This is a review of the vintage cologne, dated early 1940's. The scent starts off like most classic perfumes, with a burst of citrus and a high concentration of what seems like aldehydes. Then it quickly transitions to the heart notes. I smelled a lot of Iris, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, and a soft rose somewhere in there. Though powdery, this perfume not a pure baby powder scent. It's an unoffensive powder, with a unique note that somehow makes it stand out. It might be the Heliotrope. When it finally transitioned to it's base notes, much of the heart notes were still there. However, I could smell a hint of musk and a slight sweetness due to vanilla. It was a beautiful fragrance to experience.

The sillage is amazing for a cologne. I put two drops underneath each ear yesterday night around 9:00, layered with a small coat of talcum powder. The next day, I rubbed my wrists underneath each ear, and I can still smell it on my wrist at noon!

As a 17 year old girl I am suprised how much I like this fragrance. It does not smell old fashioned once it hits the heart and base. It's a very classic fragrance, but women of any age can wear it. The fragrance is sensual but not provocative. When you catch a whiff, it draws you in with it's soft femininity as if saying, "Come hither, but be a gentleman if you do." Evening in Paris will never lose its style, elegance, and appeal.

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

I so rememeber this because apparently the previous owners of the victorian I grew up in dumped their trash in the backyard. My brother & I loved to dig up treausures from out backyard, and I found several EIP bottles, some still w/ fragrance in them! I remember it to be a bit powdery and it had a familiar floral that I liked (sort of violet-ish). My favorite bottle was a bullet shaped bottle w/ a tassle.

Evening in Paris started out alot like a Chanel fragrance, very French and aldehydic, but it faded fast to a nasty Jasmine-Lily of the Valley scent that always smells like rotting white flowers on me. Then it dried down finally to a faint, pleasant, sandalwood vanilla musk. When I washed it off, it left a faint taint like vintage dusting powder. It smells strangely like a mock of itself: I 'French' scent that everybody wore because it was affordable. Well worth visiting for the vintage-vacation alone. Not sure it's worth a full bottle, however. The true vintage of this, if you can find some that hasn't turned, is very layered, rich and ringing with formal elegance. It dries down a bit powdery, too, however, though it still hints at a beautiful made-up face, with lipstick and powder, furs and perfumes.

Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) by Bourjois 4.17 out of 5 based on 195 ratings and 67 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bourjois Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bourjois Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris), you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) by Bourjois. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) by Bourjois represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.