Designers » B » Oriental Spicy « Groups

dislike

honey
cinnamon
Farah Brecourt for women Pictures Farah Brecourt for women Pictures

Farah (formerly named Haram) is a woody-spicy fragrance inspired by the Orient and exotic culture. It was created by perfumer Emilie Bouge, the founder of Brecourt.

Top notes: bergamot, cinnamon and styrax. Heart: date, leather, cedar and honey. Base: tonka, patchouli, labdanum, benzoin and musk.

It is available as 50 ml EDP. Farah was launched in 2010.

Cinnamon Styrax Bergamot

Deeply

Farah Fragrance Reviews

CB23
CB23

Wow, this is delicious. I'd consider it unisex and perfect for cold weather

polly golightly
polly golightly

quando il fruttato incontra il balsamico/speziato... viene fuori una meraviglia! come molti hanno notato, questo accordo ricorda tantissimo dolcelisir, e come quello è dolce, di miele e datteri, leggermente alcolico, come di buon rum, con un'ottima e matura cannella, mista a fave di tonka. l'assestamento è sostenuto da mirra e cuoio, ma si percepiscono anche sentori di benzoino e storace. ricco, caldo, ottimo per il freddo. notevole e mediamente persistente.

archivist
archivist

Absolutely gorgeous - this spiced honey-date confection reminiscent of a Tunisian pastry shop is way better than Ambre Narguile, for my taste. It is spicier and richer than Ambre Narguile, and WAY spicier than Dolcelisir, which in its own turn is more fruity than Ambre Narguile.

Edit: on the drydown, Farah is the spiciest AND the sweetest, as the date and honey meld together into just "dark and really sweet" - too sweet for me, as it turns out.

lilalina
lilalina

Amazing comfort scent, sweet. Arabic spice market, warm winter scent, like apple pie. Very gourmand. Very beautiful.

9154mf
9154mf

This is a beautiful full bodied warm rich gourmandy oriental, it has a little bit if everything and doesn't become too sweet, although you can really smell the dates and hints of honey, they are tempered somewhat with tonka, laudanum, a hint of leather....this is really nice. Wearing this on one arm and AN on the other I can definitely say they are similar, but AN which I love, seems flat in comparison. Or perhaps more subtle. AN veers quickly into apple pie territory, but without Much cinnamon, whereas Haram smells more like a middle eastern spice melange pastry with fruit and honey. At times I get a powdery vibe but it's not prominent. This is great for cooler weather I think, or a date night. It had character and presence. Great sillage and longevity.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

This really is very similar to L'erbolario Dolcelisir.
It basically smells like apple pie! At least, that's what several people told me as I was passing by: 'you smell like apple pie!'
It's a truly delicious scent made of excellent quality ingredients.
Honey here is not the syrupy thick kind, but just a light touch adding it's warm sweetness. Blended wonderfully with dates and cinnamon to create this delicious apple pie sensation.
The leather in Farah is like a soft suede. Velvety and smooth.
Longevity is good with moderate sillage.
❤❤❤❤❤

alittleofeverything
alittleofeverything

@ranchorita; it's still in production, but has been renamed Farah. I believe I read somewhere that Harâm means something akin to "sin" in arabic (?) and is a loaded term for muslims, and so they chose to change the name. I've just ordered a bottle and it's on its way from France ;)

ranchorita
ranchorita

From beginning to end, this smells like a mild, lovely perfume version of nag champa incense. I absolutely adore this, and I'm sad to discover it seems not to be available anywhere any longer? This one is a treasure, and speaks to my inner gypsy.

Flash forward several months, I finally obtained my full bottle, and thanks to other Fragranticans for information on the name change on this fragrance. I've been wearing this quite frequently, and it's a gorgeous, comforting fragrance that I recognize has filled a gap in my collection. I'm also exploring combining this lovely resin with other floral/fruity accords, and the result has been most satisfying.

Haram/Farah is among my favorites. I absolutely love this!

leathermountain
leathermountain

Sweet syrup with amber aromachemicals. If you want something very warm and very sweet, you might like this, especially if you don't mind an overly-powerful synthetic vibe.

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

This composition packs so many notes and somehow manages to stuff them all into one extremely rich and balanced tablespoon of gourmand "vitamins".

I feel that each note mentioned in the pyramid is extremely vital and important, whether it's detectable or not. And that for me is the recipe of a winning scent.

"Smokey" dark honey (as if someone was smoking inside a honey pot) and cinnamon are the most detectable on my skin, then it dries down into a sublime authentic dried dates accord.

I wish the projection was a little better, but that only extracts a tiny bit of my rating.

Full bottle worthy without a doubt in my mind.

becuille
becuille

I call this the Star Trek perfume, because every time I catch a whiff of it, I can't help but go "Oh myyyyyyyy" in my best George Takei voice.

This is one sensual, sultry scent. 1001 Arabian Nights meets a romantic tryst in a riad in Marrakesh.

I find the honey very prominent on my skin. My other favourite honey perfume is Back to Black By Kilian, but where that one gets a little down and dirty, this one stays almost ladylike, made creamier by the tonka bean and date so that where Back to Black gives off a raw, earthy honey vibe, Haram's honey is ethereal and a little cheeky.

The cinnamon is beautifully realistic and warming, making this a scent probably more suited for autumn/winter than spring/summer (although that doesn't stop me wearing it during those seasons if I feel the mood!)

Some scents tell a story. Some express the character of the wearer. This one is the latter. It's a woman who would never tolerate being called "girl" (or "babe" for that matter), she doesn't care about the rules of polite society, but never openly flouts them either. Instead, she is the one they whisper about, everyone hoping for a new rumour about this tigress who may be judged harshly by some, but is mostly envied by her tamer peers. She doesn't care either way. You don't have to be that woman to wear this, but be careful, there's a good chance you'll turn into her ;)

jreily88
jreily88

Great scent, but if the date accord was toned down a little bit, I would like it more.

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Like christmas baking, it is a wonderful scent, and it lasts on me for a long time, without drying down to a bore or changing too much. It says "for women" but this fits everyone. Cinnamonrolls. A real discovery for me.

reinhard5490
reinhard5490

in my search for a better Ambre Narguille (that Hermessence really inspiring, too bad it lacks projection and have somehow 'flat' character) that I finally ended up with Haram. And the name pretty much said it all, Haram is a forbidden pleasure for me.

All that I found lacks in Ambre Narguille is fixed here, dates have sweet sugary quality by nature and its presented nicely here and that also contribute as a major factor why its became better fragrance than Ambre Narguille. Dates gives deeper overall scent and combined with honey it became a lush sweet scent. Other notes as cinnamon also prevalent here, but in my opinion the dates that actually give it a straight flush.

The longevity and projection also perfect, it stays pretty much all day (but I take bath anyway, so 12 hours will pretty much good enough for me), I'll let Ambre Narguille to sit in the corner, let Haram accompany me when I need sinfully sweet scent!

kayley123
kayley123

This is reminiscent of Hermes / Hermessence Ambre Narguile, but not at all the same to my mind.

There is still cinnamon and honey like Ambre Narguile but I find this darker, woodier, and powderier; there is noticeable/strong patchouli, leather, labdanum, and cedar instead of the sweeter rum, vanilla, and caramel of AN. Dates add sweetness to Haram, but not nearly as sweet as AN.

rossyegio5
rossyegio5

E' praticamente IDENTICO a Dolcelisir Erbolario ( costando il doppio ). Carino, leggiadro, lieve, gentile, non invadente. Educatamente dolce.

mendwillie
mendwillie

Wow, this is perfect.
The smell of sophistication, say that is the twin brother of Ambre Narguile.
I can not stop sniffing me whole, it is addictive and hallucinates everyone you pass by.
Incredible!!

I sort like this:
Smell: 1000/10
Projection: 9/10

freddinos
freddinos

I agree with the reviewers here saying that this is a very close relative (the younger and sweeter sister) of Ambre Narguile. I love both. Haram is a tad sweeter, maybe a bit more feminine, but not overly so. I swear I detect some bitter almond sweetness in the top notes, that differentiates is from Narguile. From the middle notes down it is heavenly, oriental (but not scary) and unisex. Its longevity is superb, too. As with Ambre Narguile, Haram is for me full bottle worthy for sure, I only do not know where it can be found in the UK. Many thanks to MsLetterO for sending me a very generous sample:)

sens unique
sens unique

The fragrance Harâm has been renamed as Farah. The fragrance remains the same only the name has been changed!

MikeDropIt
MikeDropIt

what happened to all the comparisons so Ambre Narguile? this website is so buggy. One day there can be 50 people voting that this smells like AN, and the next day they can be gone hehe

sergio.fiorenzi
sergio.fiorenzi

Ambre Narguile's young brother and a little bit sweeter.
Nice perfume.

Cereza
Cereza

Haram is a fanastic sweet oriental perfume. I believe that cold wintertime is the best to test this, but this might suit hotter days as well, as it all is about how much and where you apply.
Haram (or "sin" like someone mentioned before) on my skin opens with sweet date fruit and soon is followed by powdery notes of tonka bean and leather which is not my cup of tea MOSTLY, but here I have no complaints with this powdery combo.
The honey is lingering around together with cinnamon which I find to be very lovely as honey usually has the way to overpower every other note, but here, at least on me, it works as a background. I also get loads of cedar which makes this to be even darker.
All in all a beautiful and powdery piece, yes - made for woman, but I think that a daring man might pull this off as well as it is heavy on leather and cedar.
Even though this might not be ultra unique, I think it is a good perfume, worth the price tag, very pleasing for those who love orientals.
Even though I have found something similar I will add to my collection (Aziyade by Parfums d'Empire) this as well will go to my wishlist as it pleases my nose greatly.

Blimunda
Blimunda

On my skin, Haram stays rather same during all the way long, I don't detect any distinctive phases of development within it.

It is a sweet dates based perfume, exotic, dry and on the very edge of becoming gourmand fragrance as it is loaded with sweet notes such as honey cover, tonka beans and different balsamic smells, but it somehow manages to balance all that perfectly and stays still strong and dominant but very sensual. Besides luscious tones, I smell prominent leather which makes me associate it with exclusively and perfect masculine perfume!

Due to its meaning, I know it would be a total paradox to say this, but I see Haram as a perfect Christmas scent. :D My cordial suggestion to all men who like bare, rich, deep and dark fragrances!

Projection, lasting power, composition: 5/5
Season: Winter.

Brecourt HARAM is probably my favorite perfume from this house--of the ones I've tested so far. It is a substantial, wintertime composition with both wood and sweetness mingling with spices and other rich components. I would say that HARAM compares favorably with some of the thicker oriental elixirs I've sniffed from far more expensive niche brands, so if you're looking for a solid oriental, this one is definitely a bargain!

I agree with some other reviewers that HARAM is not very original, but the important point is that it smells good and holds up well from start to finish. There is something both yummy and comforting about this perfume, and I definitely recommend it for testing by anyone who likes their oriental perfumes on the denser side. This one is rather sweet, so I do not know whether the guys would like it, but it is similar in style to By Kilian BACK IN BLACK, if that helps any.

A lot of notes are packed into this perfume, but they are blended together so that the end result just smells like an above average sweetish woody oriental. I am unable to disarticulate the various components as isolable notes.

For the record, and in dissent from a number of other reviewers here at Fragrantica, I do not believe that HARAM smells anything at all like Hermès Hermessence AMBRE NARGUILE. To my nose, it's much closer to a Linari perfume.

Inessa66613
Inessa66613

I'm amazed by the white carbdoard box - it also has its own smell - of white and dark pepper - question how? Black glass bottle smells very fine too, I really like when you can sense the smell not even opening the bottle, I noticed that selective perfumes are all like that. About the liquid inside - really mature and rich smell. I sprayed it on the piece of paper and my wrist. I can sense sweet dates straight away, on wrist it becomes deeply sweet and musky and that's all, on paper it's very sharp and I could sense more - patchouli, styrax, tonka bean and woody notes definitely. Cinnamon and bergamot are almost unnoticeable, so transparent. Such a shame it smells totally different on my skin and paper.
Oh, sorry. I lied to you, after 10 minutes I can sense lots of spicy cinnamon, and still all this happens on the paper not my wrist.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

LOVE this fragrance...
date, leather, cedar and honey are the stand out
scent notes....

scentous
scentous

Haram means "sin" or "sinful" in arabic, used in non-arabic speaking islam countries with little spelling variations. Reviews imply that it is a supersexy frag, so I really wonder whether it deserves the name or not:))

fpih
fpih

Initially, Haram was a great surprise; warm, a bit spicy, a little sweet, this seemed like a winner. I didn't get the cinnamon and any resemblance to Ambre Narguile which I own, but I do see the comparison to Back to Black; this is like a lighter version of BtB, with much less tobacco. And when I was convinced this is really FB worthy, an unwarranted thought came to me: it smells like beer. Simple, blond pilsner in fact. A bit sour, a bit sweet, a bit boozy, it makes me feel as if a glass has accidentaly overturned on me and drenched me in its smell. I wish I could get over it, because the fragrance itself is good, as is the lasting power, but it doesn't seem likely:(

Ouch!
Ouch!

So this is the spicy one of the Brecourt perfumes. It's like walking through a perfumed spice market.

The cinnamon is the main player throughout along with the Myrrh. This has the exotic feel that the description mentions. It reminds me of a few of the Black Phoenix perfumes I have tried before. Slightly peppery and ever so slightly medicinal with an undertone of expensive exotic oils and spices.

I'm not a HUGE fan of cinnamon in perfume and unfortunatley this one is a bit of a no no for me. I wouldn't buy it. There are other Brecourt perfumes which are much more pleasant to my nose.

1nov
1nov

I really love this perfume . I wear it when I go to bed . it's great for colder days but I did wear it during summer days . I recommend it to every women over 30 .

I love this one. An initial blend of Myrrh and spices and a slightly fruity note that reminded me of Juicy Fruit gum passed to leave a warm, low key spice, almost gourmand and clearly incense. The final stages were a powdery woody spice incense blend that is soft enough to be comforting and warm enough to induce constant wrist sniffing. Lovely.

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Soft sweet Black Cherry pipe tobacco and leather. (This opens and then holds on throughout the drydown and becomes the base)
Vanilla and white chocolate gourmand make up the sweet parts.
Honey and labdanum swirl in and around.
Cedar is fleeting.

Fades too quickly. But I love it!
My fave so far of the Brecourt line.
Light enough to wear year round IMHO.

I'd buy a bottle if it didn't disappear within an hour or so. Will need to try it on clothes to see if it holds. Not as spicy as I'd hoped and imagined, but I forgive it.

Edit: Tonite I spritzed my sample again, and guess who showed up to the party? Cinnamon and Leather!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to buy this for myself!

Moyra
Moyra

Haram is a sexy little potion, sweet, resinous and spicy with a generous dollop of patchouli and a brushing of dried citrus peel, like the love child of Hermes' Elixir des Merveilles and Chanel's Coromandel.

Seriously.

If there's leather and dates, honey and cedar, they are so very well blended that they don't stand out as distinct notes in my nose. They just add to the exoticism of the composition.

I confess to adoring this spicy/resinous style, and Haram was a must-have after the very first sniff. Haram is a rarity for being spicy and resinous yet not smelling like candle shop potpourri. Its definitely winter appropriate and perfect for those whose personalities project as strongly as their perfume's generous sillage.

If you are fond of Hermes' Elixir des Merveilles, the *original* YSL Opium, Chanel's Coromandel or Coco - the original, *not* "Coco Mademoiselle" - you will probably enjoy Haram, too.

PS: The usual caveat applies - sniff a sample first, Indiescents.com (not affiliated) has them.

id
id

Cinnamon (sharp, not sweet - lovely - at its best), benzoin and specific freshness, maybe bergamot note plays this role. Everything is so well balanced. Superb. Besides, longevity is good too - it lasts all day at least in cold weather.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

A salty leather with lots of spices. A specific one.

Migotka
Migotka

Up until now, Haram is my definite favourite from the whole line. Spicy, the first phase smells a bit like mulled wine with rich date cake on the side. My local pub smelled like this on the first day the city got snowed in. There was this massive pot where they were preparing mulled wine for frozen guests, it was warm and delicious.

Then Haram transforms. It gets even thicker and sweeter and more aromatic. I smell my writs and think of rich honey and spices, traditional gingerbread and other Christmas goodies. It has a gourand quality to it. Slightly reminds me of Lolita Lempicka and Dior Addict, being quite different alltogether.

I really think that this is something I could wear every day. The cinnamon is sharp and it's of the best kind, not the sweet one you have in cookies, but the real stuff, freshly grated, soaked in hot wine.

I'd prefer it for colder days though, it might be a bit too heavy for hot summer.

Farah by Brecourt 4.34 out of 5 based on 190 ratings and 36 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Brecourt Farah fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Brecourt Farah, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Farah by Brecourt. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Farah by Brecourt represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.