Designers » B » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men

Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men
dislike

Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures Brut Brut Parfums Prestige for men Pictures

Brut, one of the most popular men's colognes was first launched in 1964. It is originally produced by Faberge Paris.

Top notes: lemon, bergamot, lavender, anise and basil. Heart: geranium, jasmine and ylang-ylang. Base: sandalwood, oak moss, vetiver, patchouli, tonka bean and vanilla. It is advertised with the slogan "The essence of men". The nose behind this fragrance is Karl Mann.

Bergamot Lemon Anise Basil Lavender Orange Blossom

Sagamore

Brut Fragrance Reviews

Tall Dark and Handsome
Tall Dark and Handsome

I have recently been reintroduced to Brut after no trying it for many years. I was never really a big fan of this when going back to the early 1970's it seemed that every young man and his dog either wore Brut or Old Spice. I don't know what they have done to this but it is a shadow of its former self. It is the weakest, most insipid smelling fragrance it is possible to find. I can guarantee you that if you sample this in a shop it will have vanished from you by the time you walk out onto the street five minutes later. Please, I know it is a very cheap costing fragrance but save yourself what little money they are asking for it and just don't even bother having a sample splash of it. It is dreadful, dreadful.

Luna_J
Luna_J

It's interesting... I've been kind of working my way through barbershop fragrances - a process involving some detective work and some drugstores - and recently ran into the glass bottle of Brut Classic (circa 2008). I was surprised... I'd tried the plastic-bottled aftershave and something called 'special reserve'; neither of them are half as good as this. Sillage is fairly potent for the first 2-3 hours, and longevity is decent in this formulation ('classic') at 5+ hours. It's surprisingly confidence-inducing as well and both pleasant and discreet at work if not over-applied. It takes some work to set aside the cultural baggage you may have, depending upon your age (I'm 44, probably the generation most likely to be haunted by the ghosts of authority figures past), but if you can, this is a surprisingly wearable scent...

What's in it? The herbal notes of mint and basil are inviting, the lavender refreshing (the mint and basil are separate from the lavender, but coordinate well), and the geranium tantalizingly citrus-springy; the yang-ylang and jasmine can take some getting used to, the former smelling a bit like plastic-wrapped candy, and the latter bringing in the indole of stale flower water, but - weirdly enough- this quickly becomes addictive, forming an almost honey-like accord with the well-known vanillic sweetness of the tonka bean. There are even hints of sandalwood and patchouli notes peaking through, producing moments of actual delight or deliciousness as the scent reacts to body heat. Anisic aldehydes keep things wet and fresh for the first couple of hours, easing in to a pleasant powdery-soapy-waxy continuum that emerges as a skin scent with a ghost of clean laundry. There is something kind of clashing in the blend of fresh, sweet, musky and medicinal, but that may well be part of the appeal, depending on your perspective. I have a funny feeling people appreciate this (when you've applied it moderately) more than they realize.

So what is the verdict? This is no more of a 'cheapie' scent than the current state of Azzaro Pour Homme or Paco Rabanne, or Quorum or Sung Homme, or ... (take your pick) It is arguably as well-constructed a scent as Old Spice, and, like Old Spice, presents a composition that, even with its materials incrementally absented or synthesized still possesses a legible premise and undeniably personable appeal: worth owning for reference, worth wearing for solid pleasure (or is it the pleasure of solidity?)
It is friendly, affirming, comfortable, and versatile; a reference scent that is neither embarrassing nor prepossessing. So, yes, on the glass shelf, next to the vintage Old Spice, nearby the Eau Sauvage and Caron Pour un Homme, and other good old things: Brut? Sure, why not -- long may it remain...

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Brut

Top Notes: Bergamot Lemon Anise Basil Lavender Orange Blossom

Heart Notes: Jasmine Geranium Ylang Ylang

Base Notes: Sandalwood Vetiver Patchouli Oak Moss Tonka Coumarin Vanilla Musk

A Guy friend of mine wears this and wears it well. This is a classic and familiar instantly recognizable men's cologne. Never mind the drug store cheapie connection. Do you know what this is? It's a beautifully made fougere. I could easily wear this but the lemon and citrus opening is ghastly to me. Once the citrus notes fade away I noticed they have the men's fragrance version of aldehyde in the form of anise or anisic aldehydes. It's fresh and strong right fron the start. Like I said this is a fougere with fougere floral notes of lavender at the top and the vanilla and woods/sandalwood bottom. In between this is sweetly floral with orange blossom geranium, jasmine and ylang ylang. It's floral enough for me anyways. Sweet and soft but quickly drowned by all the heavy hitting masculine roar of the base notes. Every conceivable strong base note is here: vetiver patchouli oak moss sandalwood and musk. I found it to be rather well balanced between being too musky and too vanillic. There is vanilla in this thing in the form of Tonka. It smells really good. It's got a good projection sillage and long life. Easy to love and the man that wears this is gonna get close to me. Love the smell.

IrishNaus
IrishNaus

Brut is one of my favorite scents and always will be, I remember using the aftershave splash on a while back I'd throw it around me before a night out, and it always held up well. It can be worn by both young and old with dignity. It's unique unlike any other and its good to have in a collection if you decide you want a change its always by your side. Its as good as any top price aftershave, don't let the price sway you. Try it out in store and be surprised.

anthony.klune
anthony.klune

It always surprises me that these cheap aftershaves always smell better than their price would suggest. That's not to say it’s a hidden gem but it's not too bad if you're looking for something different. I was amazed at how sweet it was for a man's scent. Here I was thinking Brut was really code for 'Brute' and that it would smell more like Bourbon and sweat where what comes across most strongly is the sweet scent of Ylang Ylang and lavender. It could almost be a really good fragrance if it were not for some note that comes across as bad breath when you first put it on and remains right up till the middle notes are gone. It’s really hot to put on, burning the skin like a mans fragrance should, ahem, and I don't mind that aspect of it. It leaves a waxy finish to the skin which is also not a bad thing, though unusual. It's definitely a summer scent for me and a night time one at that given its overpowering strength. The tonka beans remind me a little of a poor mans Le male though I'm probably very alone in this assessment. Would I buy it again. Maybe, but I won't be upset if they no longer stock it. I do enjoy wearing it though.

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

Classic drugstore scent that is the embodiment of everything old school. Brute brings to mind barbershops and 70's mustaches. It howls masculinity, and with a name like Brute it probably should. A lush, lavender forest that is both slightly harsh and fresh out of the shower clean. The fragrance's extreme cheapness and accessibility make for an almost tougher vibe. If JFK wore Creed's Original Vetiver, then Rocky Balboa surely splashed on some Brute. Nostalgic, extremely pleasant, and can be had for less than the price of a cheesesteak.

joejoe3
joejoe3

I have the vintage 1960's 4 ounce bottle..this is the "essence" strength which is much stronger than the cologne..like an extract. I wore it today and 8 hours later it is still going strong.

This is the most beautiful man's cologne ever... Divine, mouthwatering ,and gorgeous. I don't want to shower because I don't want to wash it off...I don't know what the current version smells like but I doubt it smells anything like this...I will only wear this for special occasions.

sam ldh
sam ldh

Brut is indubitably the most virile, unabashedly masculine scent which is both sexy and sophisticated at the same time! It is macho, but a macho with sensibility- someone who is daring and brave, but not criminal. Brut wearing men are self-made, honest straightforward men who take up life as it comes with confidence and a smile no matter what life throws at them..
Friends, there's a reason why Brut is still selling after five decades- it's because Brut is a Classic-Legendary-Masterpiece, still unparalleled and unequalled by the thousands of perfumes that followed after its release in 1964,and because it still does the job which is to make you smell clean, well-groomed and of course, sexy too!!
My love for Brut began, yes you're right, courtesy of my dad!, in my teenage and I've never stopped using this gem of a cologne!
Infact, I've just ordered two more bottles from a wholesaler who had some 80's bottles with old scratched(but undented!) , dull boxes. The first bottle I'm using with a big smile on my face because wearing it always brings me immense joy as I easily reminisce about my Happy teenage years by its fragrance- like being teleported to those glory days!
I have all the recently released versions too, and honestly all are good enough if not that much tenacious and well-rounded and smooth as the pre-IFRA bottles. They still smell like the Brut I'm so fond of, although now having used the older bottle I don't think I'd be using my 7-8 currently acquired bottles, but I'm sur,, my kid would!
But, still I'd say to everyone who are reading this review to try any version available of this classic-perfume, I too, would have had used my newer bottles if I hadn't found my 80's bottles!

Finally, to those who simply discredied this classic -perfume as a "dated" cologne, I would just say this :
Brut is meant for Real men.....men who address the female sex as "Ladies" and don't call them "broads" or chicks".
And men who wouldn't buy the Acqua a Gio's and the One Million men etc.
even if they were available at a whopping 99% discount!

And yes friends, old indeed,'is' gold!

Happy Sniffing!
Sam Singer

bizzybazza
bizzybazza

now i bought a bottle of this the year it was first on sale in the UK and used it for years until i discovered JAZZ
having just received this and tried it how nostalgic.its still a lovely fragrance a shame its not in its original bottle.
i really do get the citrusy aniseed notes i loved so much
its time it had a comeback especially at a tenth of the price of some more mainstream scents

Le_Coeur_Gothique
Le_Coeur_Gothique

Is Brut one of the best cheap fragrances ever created? Yes and no. And if this sounds sort of contradictive, I'll clarify it by saying that Brut is simply one of the best fragrances ever created. Cheap or not.
When I was young and foolish, I used to give Brut and any similar priced fragrance a wide berth, cause I was kinda embarassed to admit that I was wearing cheap stuff. I always went for the status of smelling "expensive", and to my vainglorious mind, a fragrance's price tag was way more important than its actual quality.
Now that I am old and I fancy myself as a seasoned veteran of the "Niche Wars", I have no problem to admit that I couldn't be any more mistaken. I have no problem to admit that Brut is an excellent piece of high perfumery, and it holds a place in the "legendary classics" pantheon, along with Old Spice, Pino Silvestre and Tabac Original, although I think it's kinda first among equals, due to its iconic, unique and hyper-elegant emerald bottle.
And now that I've made my confession about my then unfair and short-sighted scent evaluating criteria, I just hope that these old chaps have forgiven me for being such a snobbish and arrogant brat, who used to despise everything that didn't fit in his pompous agendum. And I'm more than happy that the time has finally come for me, to truly appreciate their tremendous gravitas, and enjoy their straightforward masculinity, no holds barred.

thisman
thisman

Brut smells like Brut. You can not see much fragrances smelling similar to Brut.

I think it's smell is inimitably unique. I tested many of Brut immitations and none of them was similar.

I didn't (but want to) try Helen of Troy formulation but Unilever is producing two different Brut scents. The EDT version of Brut at the picture above is named 'Brut Original' and exactly what i love and recommend. The plexyglass bottled with a medallion is named 'Brut Classic' and it is a different scent with more anise and less sweet notes and lesser quality blended.

So, get an Original version of this juice and experience this manly essence of men.

My rating: 10/10

scotrob
scotrob

Probably the first cologne that any young British man is ever exposed to: cheap, ubiquitous and STRONG....for me this is a real STINKER but even so it brings back memories of watching my older brother get ready for a date (before he discovered Old Spice)....if you're going to buy this, buy it as a nostalgia trip (as you would Hai Karate) but don't expect to be able to splash it on willy nilly...it's too powerfully pervasive for that...if you like anise/lavender then go for it

I seem to remember Paul Gascoigne (English footballer) advertising this back when he was young and fresh with glistening slicked-back hair.....perhaps it's time for a new advertising campaign for the next generation

AZJeff
AZJeff

This fragrance was given to me as a teenager and young adult many years ago as a Christmas gift. It would come in those cheap looking plastic bottles. It was ok back then but now I don't like it and it's not for me anymore. It's not in the same league for me as "Old Spice". This fragrance smells sweet but in a cheap way and it's not the type of sweet scent that I like.

Little_L
Little_L

As a kid, have you ever wanted grown-up fun, only to realise the morning after you had the time of your life, yet you're in big trouble? Suck up the regret and buckle up, because it's going to be a bumpy ride home ;)
For the most part, the development is linear. The sillage quickly gets from nose-clogging to skin-wrapping.
Having said that, wearing something called Brut cannot be a consensual affair. The bad-boy reputation suggests your pimp Brut is getting most of the attention, leaving you to do the dirty work. But careful! Bossy Brut doesn't take any responsibility, you have to deal with the drama afterwards.
Schoolers, emotional guys, betas, this is not your territory.
Who do I imagine wearing this?
- any kind of guy, working with equally ranked coworkers
- an inteligent man, white collar, earring, tattoo shinig through crisp white shirt
- young 20s, dangerous eyes, loud, primal

How to apply? You decide, ur the man!

VJG
VJG

A champion..Forever and always..

Lot of people may call it Old School? No!

New school....

Housebliss
Housebliss

I have the one pictured here. Only difference is that my box says "Brut Parfums Prestige - Paris 1965" at the bottom". Made by Unilever.

Upon first spray I thought I had bought a great niche fragrance for $250. However, it's Brut. Very cheap, and very good.

It starts out sweeter than I thought it would, but it settles down in less than a minute.

It's quite citrusy, but in a good way. It's not a sharp lemon, but the smooth and creamy kind.

The words clean and fresh describe the scent perfectly.

Absolutely wonderful. I'd like to add that the 100 ml bottle is almost impossible to hold when spraying due to the shape. I might go for the 50 ml next time.

pronose
pronose

the scent has changed and so does the formula! used to be a nice scent but not now!!!!!!

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

3 from 5 - 88P (from 100) - creamy fougère - Brut is a nice, mellow aromatic fougère. Don' t be confused by its low price, it is really superior to many later synthetic fragrances which are much more expensive. I like its creamy green fougère being like a summer morning in the woods. The fiddling shampoo by-note is disturbing. The second disadvantage is that it should last longer and has undergone several reformulations. Anyway, "it costs almost nothing, so buy some", and it will splash you with nice fougère atmosphere.

Brut 33:

Now, sadly, Brut 33 in the opaque plastic bottle is a remnant of the past. I happen to have a bottle of the splash-on lotion (basically an all-purpose cologne/aftershave). It was acquired from Ebay. I can tell that time has had its way with the materials used in the formula, because there is a twinge of an unbalanced note structure in the top and early drydown, where the musky citrus and coumarin don't want to play nice with the earthier green notes, but within a minute after application that all smooths out and any unpleasantness goes away. What's left is a perfectly good traditional fougere, quite ambery, but with a significant lift from lavender and a wry grassy note in the heart. The musk is dirtier than that of the new stuff, but at 33% concentration, this version of Brut lasts all of ten minutes before vanishing.

You can still get the "new" version of Brut 33 (Just called Brut Splash-On), and that's simply a lighter version of the current cologne concentration. It is cleaner and brighter than vintage Brut 33. I prefer the new stuff, but the original version is a good reference for how dirty musk was used in everyday masculine toiletries of the sixties and seventies. It's still cheap, so if you can find it around, I recommend giving it a go. Brut fans must of course own at least a few bottles of this stuff, it's loads of fun to own and wear.

sufix
sufix

nice

bunty62
bunty62

Fantabulous frag.
One of the different fragrance ever.
Master piece.
I can not review on notes because unaware about the notes mentioned. Timeless men's fragrance.
Widely duplicated and because of mass use it has just lost ita uniqueness.

For my nose it is very wet fragrance. No one can dislike it.

But believe me overuse of it especially duplicated fragrance can be nauseating.

Every man must use it atleast once timeless n classic.

Heaven In A Bottle
Heaven In A Bottle

A Whole Lottah MAN!

DSun
DSun

Familiarity breeds contempt. Reformulation breeds even more. Or does it? After experimenting with Paco Rabanne pour Homme, I decided to do my own reformulation with Brut. I mixed it with 10% oakmoss carrier, and what did I get? Brand new love for this old masterpiece! What once was ancient is now new again. I couldn't believe it, all that was missing was the oakmoss. Amazing!

Edit: I used the Classic Brut being sold on Amazon for $9.95--the one with the cheesy medallion.

sherryberry

Love when a man wears Brut!! It's my favorite!!

distortech
distortech

Sexy. The end.

Yasir22
Yasir22

Brut = Memories. I love this fragrance.

Clutch
Clutch

It may be "fashionable" to diss Brut as an old-fashioned and mass marketed,cheap scent but Brut scent is classic for a reason.

Get the medallion bottle, don't bathe in it and it's a clean scent that may not last all that long, but you can refresh at ease.

I'm not a keen nose, I'm not able to pick up the individual note at the top,middle and base or the different displays of it's scents, such as at the dry down time. But, Brut is a woody/floral/herbal favorite.

I use in rotation with Old spice (othing wrong there too) as well as the more upper market type of scents.

They got something right in 1964.....it's more of a shame that the brut 33,now just remarketed Brut seems to be THE scent of brut these days....if more people seek out the medallion bottle...more should come to like

jeffersonfaudan
jeffersonfaudan

what i like about about brut is, as soon as you wear it, it projects like crazy but not the way joop does... this you can smell it and the people around you while joop on the other hand is something that your nose gets used to it and you only smell whiffs of it every now and then but projects from a distance... yeah i get that barbershop scent but it's a scent you'll feel warm about it. it's not offensive despite the projection. I have the one with a medallion... i only wish it can last way longer... 3 hrs and it fades totally... but for its price and the projection it makes for 3 hours, you can't complain...just bring a bottle... i enjoy this... heavy but comforting and not at all nauseating. i spray this like crazy and once, a lady was literally sniffing me from a public vehicle and smiled. it reminds you of good old times... this reminds me of a pomade used in the 80s as well...

marioslg3
marioslg3

The cologne version in the new plastic bottle last much longer that the edt in the glass one.

godisnowhere
godisnowhere

longevity : 3-6hrs in hot humid weather with 5 sprays.
silage : moderate for 1 hr and then fades away.
notes : citrus punch in the opening half an hour.. then flowery notes take over.. oudh and tonka take effect at the 1 hr mark, linger on and then fade away.. vetiver freshness present throughout though.
design : a classic bottle
price : cheap for the juice inside..

overall a great buy for the price. but longevity is a big problem.

seawife
seawife

Transports me back to the 70's and 80's when Brut and Soap-on-a-Roap was all the rage and rightfully so! Memorable, fresh, sexy and manly. Mustaches and chest hair. Fabulous!

matereac9
matereac9

suits any man. i adore this, and it brings back some brilliant memories of my best friend. he was never without this fragrance. a safe haven for me.

Ayl
Ayl

یادمه . داییم از اون شیشه قدیمیش داشت ، ازون شیشه سبزه . بروت . خیلی دلم میخواد یه اصلشو گیر بیارم . ا

karthiktas
karthiktas

Real Man Perfume. Great. All time hit

sherryberry

You have no idea how much I love it, when men wear Brut. My first boyfriend used to wear it, back in the 80's, when I was in high school. One time, one of my co workers had the deodorant on, and it was driving me crazy. To top it all off, my husband used to wear it when we were first dating. There's just something so fresh and comforting about Brut. I just love it!!

fayegiblin
fayegiblin

In the 70's as a teen me and everyone else wore this - it cost next to nothing and boys and girls alike drowned themselves in it. I loved it then but I'm not sure I would now - but without a doubt it holds a special place in my heart.

[email protected]
jo.pinto@rediffmail.com

Truly a legend!!

Everytime I wear it, I feel fresh and confident.

I think most of us have owned a bottle or used it at some point in time. Even though it is so common, it's a class apart.

Since it is soapy, fresh; it's wonderful to use it just after bath.

Shadow_Witch
Shadow_Witch

Found and liberated a vintage bottle of Brut in my f-i-l's house. It was the original green glass bottle with the silver medallion. The medallion has rusted but the fragrance inside the bottle is still the stunning fragrance I remember as a small child bouncing on my older cousin's knee. Unique. Instantly recognizable. Stunning.

Migalex
Migalex

Marvellous fragrance. This really, from my viewpoint should be classifid as floral oriental. It is as floral as men's fragrances get, and very sweet.Totally unique among both men and female fragrances. Nevertheless, it smells to me very feminine, and so does it to peope who smelled it on me, but is not a bad thing, quite the opposite, given the male fragrances stereotypes. I agree with most reviewers in that I also find Ylang Ylang and some sweet vanilla like fresh note (which I think is coumarin) the dominant notes. If I think of it, and although the scent is very different, it does remind me of Ysatis, which also smells a lot of Ylang Ylang, which I love. I do not smell in here the fougere theme that much. At least here is a fragrance for men which does smell nice, rather than pretensiously masculine, whatever that is supposed to be in most stereotyped fragrances, all like one another.

T frag
T frag

Man's stuff !

MrMookie
MrMookie

- 1983 on a given sunday...
This was for me the first contact moment with the world of scents i had as a 5 year old boy back in 1983.
I was playing around in my parents bedroom on a boring sunday...
There was a cabinet with scents and talc powder and i shuffled around in in it...I was attracted by the biggest green, metallic bottle with medaillion, it was BRUT!....I unscrewed the cap and sniffed the plastic splash top....WOW what a burst of Scent molecules drove through my little nose that moment!...it felt bombastic and special!
30 years later (exactly) i bought my first REAL version again...

-2013 -Today Review time!

I just got Brut EDC and splash in plastic bottles, Brut Oceans Edt and Brut Black for 30 bucks! im so happy i did the purchase!

First the 2 green plastic bottles, splash on and EDC
The splash is very watered down and almost not detecable when splashed on your body but thats my opinion.
But what i do like is the scent of BRUT! its creamy,green & balmy kinda ambery in the drydown its almost a dreamy scent!
To me this is very mellow and laidback in any way, i also detect some hidden nostalgia and scent rememberance when i get some whiffs from my arms when im wearing it.

Everybody thinks this is a harsh old skool skanky scent! But its not! the scent lingers around like a fresh groomed hippie couple, im sure its been around in these hippie days on festivals.

Well my attention is there for BRUT!
Im now searching for the EDT 3.4 oz version this is the glass square bottle with white /yellow juice which is shwown as picture for this scent and for as i know the only EDT version of the original version?
I hope its alright.

And im looking for the classic long green bottle of 88 ml EdC (3 oz) version
To get the best classic / vintage experience.
Brut classic/original is so versatile and lovable and im gonna wear this big time this upcoming vacation. (splash n stay fresh all day)
Brut Oceans Edt is very good too! it has a quality of freshness mixed up with a strange but good vibe i guess its but im not sure its base is the same of Brut Classic.
Its only bad in longevity thats a pity.
Brut Black is new?? Its a strange scent very modern but lacks the power and strange ambery quality of the original but i need to apply it more to give a good review.

Im curious about the notes in Black and hop it will be added to the Fragrantica database soon so i can post my review.

tolgacavdar
tolgacavdar

Brut makes *YOU* feel like a real man. This is the best thing a perfume can do. The rest is up to you.

Note: I am speking about the bottle with the medallion. It is really a man's stuff...

Nuff said.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

I am writing this review before reading -most of the other ones , but I am sure a lot of them will have similar opinions ..This is in your face Manly scent , un-comprimising Male fragrance , It will be loud and strong from the very beginning to the end , never stopping & rarely considering to stop , just like an "Old School " action movie with all the sinewey , musclar , hairy chested heroes !..It's fascinting in this way ..and yes , I am a woman who likes this type of unbashful (yet handsome ..) scents on men .For me ,I would prefer it anyday over that blah of elegantly suited perfumes with designer labels & coiffed bottles who are just trying to emit some pheromones ...Speaking of the bottle ,the one above is not familiar to me , it's that green one with the medallion to give that same feeling of the perfume , not tamed yet not a savage ;)
Finally , check out the Ad photo with the young boxer in the right panel it has the slogan (Men are Back ) it capsules what I mean ...

SecurityDude
SecurityDude

This scent makes me want to grow a mustache and wear my shirt open so the ladies can see my chest hair and big gold medallion

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

This scent HAS been changed somewhat over the years (and has added the foul and totally unnecessary flanker, Brut Musk, as well as some pretty decent flankers), but Brut is still one of the very best inexpensive "macho male" fragrances. My Dad tried it, but my Mom liked it on him more than he liked it on himself (he was pretty much an Old Spice guy), so I swiped his bottle and used it! It was my first experience using male scent, and it smelled great on me! I think the coumarin and anise are what makes Brut different and delightful.
On me it smells mossy yet sweet, clean but with a slightly animalic note that adds a sense of danger. Of course, in Junior High I got some flak for wearing a male cologne, but at that time I wore men's clothes pretty much all the time anyways, so I was used to it.
It's true that the more expensive "Brut Classic" smells more like the original Brut than what is sold in the drugstore, but either one is excellent.
Even the aftershave splash, which is what I used most often as a teen, has good longevity and sillage.
CORRECTION/UPDATE: I just purchased what I and others mistakenly called "Brut Classic"--it's actually called "Brut Special Reserve". Yes, it DOES smell more like the original! I found it in Walgreen's, which previously only carried the regular Brut.

hornetz
hornetz

Brut is unabashedly manly, makes no excuses and works right from the start. For a cologne to be so old, it never ceases to amaze me how good it always smells. Brut is a timeless classic, it is still applicable and relevant as the day it came out. I have worn this for so many years and was happy when the 25 oz. splash bottle came out. I still get compliments when I wear it, women love it ,recognize it and know this is what a man should smell like. Now the fragrance industry has so many interesting options to choose and I have picked up other signatures along the years, I still have their deodorant; Brut simply works.

This is a very green herbal scent and reminds me of Jovan sport scent (one of my prized possessions). This is a manly scent, strong and no nonsense attitude. It is affordable and a great starter for the young guys out there, much better than the crap AXE puts out. To sum it up Brut transcends time and is by far the best affordable green colognes out there.

mhm1985
mhm1985

soapy,barbershop cologne, suits more for mature men above 35, but I can easily pull it off (I'm 28), good for office and nights out in open places. good value for it's price

Sillage: 7/10 (noticeable in first 2-3 hours then close to skin)
Longevity: 7/10 (about 5-6 hours)

good but nothing extraordinary

mvhooper2
mvhooper2

Fresh and spicy, citrusy soap. smells like the soap/deodorant section at my local drugstore. In fact, I think It should be renamed to "Eau de Walgreens" lol. I don't dislike the smell of this at all. In fact im pretty sure i own most of the product line(deodorant, aftershave, balm etc). BUT women aren't head over heals for it or anything and it does smell like drugstore soap a la irish springs or something.

hadrian
hadrian

We love that Brut… because it is just about us. The story he tells is our story.

It’s about our first date. Or the first kiss. The high school years. Or the first driving hour. The first beer. Or the first cigarette. The years of becoming A MAN.

I must confess: I have the unfathomable luck to find that kind of underrated scents–gems in different spots, totally unexpected ones, on the map: a little bottle of Rochas’ Lui in a little shop in Bruxelles, a couple of years ago; same year, a bottle of Adidas’ Adventure in a desert drug store in Kehl, Germany; two weeks ago, an Alain Delon’s Samourai Katana and a Jacques Bogart’s Force Majeure in a modest shop in Paris; and… yesterday… in a (once again) little shop in Bucharest… a brand new 100 ml bottle of Parfums Prestige’s Brut (Eau de toilette for men… the one in a green tall glass bottle, with a silver chain around the neck…)!

Being a passionate lover of Givenchy’s Gentlemen, Azzaro PH, Guerlain’s Héritage etc., I never trembled for such an ancient, quasi–prehistoric, scent as Brut… I used to have some memories about the green plastic bottle of the 90’s… or some about the current Fabergé’s “Original” version, in the squared glass (pictured above)…

But the simple contact with that one – glass with silver chain + the Brut logo metal badge – was a kind of shock. In the next minute, the bottle was mine. In a way, this perfume was always here, always tangible, at all times next to us. Always cheap, always magnifi(s)cent. Clear and simple. Manly. Masculine. Mannish. Robust as a rock, delicate as a razor edge, tender as our first intimate moments.

Brut was born nearly 50 years ago. In the meantime, a lot of superb perfumes invaded our universe. But the truth is Brut was always here, around us, as a memento… as a olfactivo–historico–artifact of our unpretentious pleasure to smell something crispier than the fresh pure air.

A piece of (our) history.
Even if you’ll not love it, a deserved 8/10.

theXRC
theXRC

Wow what to say about Brut? My first fragrance, back in junior high. These days young guys wear Axe. When I was a kid it was Brut for me. No money = what's available.

Anyway the Brut in the picture above is unrecognizable to me. My bottles were small and green, with a little chain and metal badge with the Brut logo engraved on it.
Powerful and masculine, anyone over 30 already knows what Brut smells like, so no need to describe it. A little dab would do you for the whole Saturday night dance lol! I still often wear the weaker splash-on to this day combined with Brut deoderant. And I still love the scent.

Anyone under 30? Forget it...unless you need a fragrance to help you chop wood, skin a deer, and then cook the family dinner over a roaring campfire, then defend the family from a pack of ravenous wolves with your bare hands.

That guy in the Dos Equis beer commercials, the most interesting man in the world? He wears Brut. And tons of it. And the ladies love it on him.

fragrance_fan
fragrance_fan

Ya know, i don't like to brag but i once got into it with Chuck Norris over this beauty named Carol. It wasn't a dirty fight it was in a ring and with rules. It happened when Chuck was filming something while I was in Japan. I don't like to fight with rules but Chuck has a way of convincing you to do stuff you wouldn't otherwise. We promised each other whoever won would get to date Carol.

The fight began and Chuck was puttin a good beating on me with a chop-chop here and chop-chop there. Here a chop - there a chop - everywhere a chop-chop, and we were getting to the last round. He was in his corner looking strong and confident but he had no idea I had a secret weapon.

My corner man unscrewed a bottle of Brut and slapped a handful of the stuff on my face. Now, I don't know how many of you have fallen through ice in the Antarctic, if you haven't it's good to know that there are few things that will wake you up and electric shock every part of you body like that shivering experience. The Brut hit me like that, and I shot up like monstrous spring which had been coiled up for centuries and my eyes bulged as if a Burmese python was squeezing the last breath out of my lungs. My muscles tensed like a rabid alley cat spotting a juicy mouse after not eating for a week!

That slap of Brut - super cool and green fresh – as clean as a cypress 2x4 to the face - gave me the power of Popeye after eating a super-sized can of spinach. Chuck saw it all happen, probably in slow motion - and i saw him turn white as a ghost – and Chuck was pretty darn white to begin with! The smell emanated off me like mustard gas on the WWI front. Chuck began to convulse and seemed like he could barley breathe. The bell rang and I made an Oyama bull decking fist. That was the last straw. I cocked my hand back and was just about to throw the punch. Then suddenly out of nowhere Chuck said “STOP!!!” and pointed into the crowd.

It was Carol, making out with my corner man who had splashed himself with with the magic potion known to all as the 'Chick Magnet' aka 'Lady Collector' aka 'Green Love Juice' ... aka ... BRUT!

Me and Chuck just looked at each other because we knew we couldn't compete with what he had. We shook hands and called it a draw - we both lost equally! Don't know what happened to Carol. All i know is that the BRUT ain't someone anyone should take lightly. When the BRUT is in the room, make sure your lady is out of smelling distance, or you'll be leaving with someone like Chuck instead of her!!!

Jomoves
Jomoves

This is the fragrance men used to wear when chest hair, gold chains, unbuttoned shirts and moustaches were all the rage. No amount of criticism can detract from the fact that this is one hell of a hot, sweaty balls, orgasmic grunt of a fragrance.

mystica
mystica

Brut is awesome, much better than Axe and the similar. It's a very manly frag, masculine, assertive, it has balls, and it refuses to be worn by a woman. (I tried a few times to no avail.) It doesn't get mellow or sweet on a woman's skin, it's masculine character stays intact. And that's why I love Brut. It's not unisex at all, nor the connotations of it. It's neither soft or tamed like Old Spice (another favourite). There must be more men around trying this.

merezvan
merezvan

i love it

AbBlue
AbBlue

My first memories of perfume (or anything else) take me to a long time ago, I remember just a few things of that time, and one is that green plastic bottle of Brut. It was designed to be shaken with energy, so a few drops reach you. My father never liked any perfume, so the bottle became some kind of toy to me. The memory of the ylang-ylang - sandalwood chord still make me feel good.
It's been a long since Brut is not in people taste, so I will grab a bottle and wear it, if someone ask I will say it's something from Amouage or Creed or something really expensive... and if someone really want to know, maybe I'll tell the secret.
***
Mis primeros recuerdos sobre perfume (o cualquier cosa) me llevan a mucho tiempo atrás, tiempo del que recuerdo muy poco y algo de ello es aquella botella verde de plástico de Brut. Estaba diseñada para sacudirla con fuerza y algunas gotas te alcanzaran. Como a mi padre nunca le gustó perfume alguno, la botella se convirtió en alguna clase de juguete para mí. El solo recuerdo del acorde de ylang-ylang y sándalo aún me hace sentir bien.
Como ha pasado mucho tiempo desde que Brut no está en el gusto de la gente, conseguiré una botella y lo usaré. Si alguien pregunta, diré que es algo de Amouage o Creed o algo así de costoso... si alguien realmente quiere saber, quizá le cuente el secreto.

samlagman
samlagman

I always have this handy. It mixes well with most perfume and I use it together with any other perfume I wear to make the my overall scent my own. It help elevates the manly aspect of every fragrance.

KimLange
KimLange

This is by far my favorite men's cologne of all time! I don't care that it's cheap, it just smells so darn good! Yummy! A boyfriend in high school wore it. It smells so clean and fresh and I think it is VERY seductive! Over the years, whenever I have smelled a cologne on a man, young or old, that I have found smelled so good that I had to ask the man what he was wearing, it always turns out to be Brut!!!

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

As a devout lover of Guerlain and Dior's men's fragrances I must confess a guilty secret, of being somewhat of a fan of Brut, I like using the deodorant/antipersperant daily for work as they are well priced, i don't see the need in spending £22.00+ on Guerlain's deodorants. I digress, the packaging is pretty nasty, but it is very cheap to buy, I don't even know what I can smell in the opening notes, but the dry down is good, soapy, fresh and for me quite a woody smell. It sadly doesn't last very long, so I'd say together with Guerlain's Impreriale I wear it just for me to enjoy. Really is nothing much to complain about.

zouve
zouve

I love this scent but it doesn't last long :-(
very cheap for everyday use

Space Invader
Space Invader

Price: 9/10
Projection: 8/10
Versatility: 5/10
Compliments: 2/10
Buy/Try/Pass? Pass
Rating (0-10): 3

Note: It lacks class, awful blend. It only has attitude, a tough guy here. Stalone would wear it to the gym...

Deirdre1969
Deirdre1969

My husband wore this only once, and I really liked it on him, but he told me his dad used to wear it, so he probably considers it an "old man's" fragrance. That's unfortunate. :)

sally.west1
sally.west1

I cannot smell Brut without being transported backwards in time to the early 1970s! At the time this was the nicest any boy had ever smelled. All us girls loved the scent so much we all had little bottles of Brut in our schoolbags and wore it as cologne! It was just as nice on girls - a classic, fresh, sporty scent with just the right amount of warmth to it - yummy!

julieanneh
julieanneh

I love this scent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can smell it instantly on a man, My husband wears this for me, I hope he likes it too. Actually I think he loves that I love it on him. So cheap but so nice to smell on him. Been around for yonky years and I first remember smelling it when I was 16, so 25 years ago.....and I love it as much today on a man as I did back then. I don't care if it is hugely popular because it is cheap. #1 Brut Fan.

rolls.oud&cigar
rolls.oud&cigar

my father is a single parent and after i come from school me and younger brothers would sit infront of the tv and hear that door gets unlock and as soon as my father enters the house from work BOOM the smell of brut would alarm us that daddy is home the 5 year old me would run to my father and he would carry me around i would smell the wonderful cologne on my father as i became teenager i would go to my fathers room and spray brut before i go to school Brut is in the family for 4 generation now and has alot of memories

periquito89
periquito89

Today I received my 88ml bottle, the glass one, with the vintage aspect. You (he or she) may very well be laughing and know that I will not sleep tonight of preocupation (LoL - just kidding - lets say I care for what u think). Well, some scents have some meaning just because are related to some very specific period of life, and as for my case its associated to my last year of college. With 16 I used to take the Brut Deodorant from my father. And from that time I just have good memories. Ok, not many girls that time so I can't talk about any seductive aspect (in fact, I never thought in that way, not that time and even not today - I just like the way it smells - maybe by fault of those memories).

As for some reformulation, the scent that I have now is very close to that Deodorant I was used to. They smell the same basically. So, I´m sure what I knew that time (early 90's) is the same I´m smelling today. And so I´m glad to have bought it.

And I must say what a relieve among the countless scents that I´m trying and buying in a very addictive way from some years now, making a hole in my credicards bills! Of course this is not the right way of take things, must of all because you don't fully enjoy any of those you are smelling. So, I have also countless reviews to come but I´m not very patiente to do it. An exception for this, more a heart thing than a rational thing. Well, rational too. Very rational!

Azzaro is atracting me more, Natura Horus is atracting me more (a pine one, very old - although good for me - school), and Brut. I must be really overwhelmed by the moderns. Mont Blanc Legend (which complete my full MB collection recently) is good, but is like a strawberry compared to those (kidding). Well, Brut is old school in its peculiar way, more calm, even relaxing. I think the wise hunter knows enjoying the things he truly likes, to put an old mood back in perspective. He does this with anything he likes. He doesn't care at all because he knows how to be in syntony with today's, socialy, at clubs, whatever be. For this, he smartly uses his chanels, versaces and armanis.

Chic for Men by CH is proving to be one of the best taking among the moderns scents to me. I enjoy it quite well, its safe, and smells good. Nothing extravagant. This I kept for always be there. Ditto for Dior Homme Sport. Well, Z Zegna too. Herrera for men, Azzaro that I used these days, Horus, Brut, if its there, it is because.... ah, go look for you mommy.

shoulderpet
shoulderpet

An underrated classic scent , has very prominent top notes on application which fade quickly to reveal a more powdery, soapy, clean scent, very masculine smelling, a lot of people view this as dated but I love the retro vibe of the fragrance and this is part of the appeal for me, unfortunately this has been reformulated again recently and the longevity is not great and this scent fades very quickly,nevertheless this is one of my all time favourites

Koushik Das
Koushik Das

Its amazing...!!!!

Much more amazing when I compare its price with the fragrance, longevity and projection.

It has an outstanding fragrance...In India its roughly Rs.450/- ( approx. $8 ). One who does not know its name previously can never guess its price. Its strong but not offensive. Its sweet but not that irritating one . It says " Hi, I am here " because it definitely has a very good projection and quite easily noticeable in the crowd . I don't like those skin hugging perfumes . Because nobody is going to rub their nose deep into your skin to know whether you have applied some perfumes or not. It is the projection of a perfume which attracts others. keeping that issue in mind BRUT is a real winner. I can rely blindly on it. One should at least try it ....after that , its just a matter of few minutes to fall in love with BRUT.

jozemo
jozemo

long live the old school colognes,especially this classic.a beginners guide to scentware.

elizabethari
elizabethari

Sexiest men's fragrance. Ever. Forever and always, period.

Scentrist
Scentrist

So let me admit up front that this was everything bad about colognes in the 70's (and for years beyond). I'm glad that Fragrantica finally added this gem to their database, and I'm pretty sure that everyone has smelled this at one point in their lives. Every adolescent boy from a certain period (myself included) probably raided their father's cologne collection and tried splashing (or perhaps pouring) this wonder on full-throttle before realizing how to apply it. I'm no exception.

But this is a scent that one can easily outgrow as their tastes develop. It's cheap, cheerful, and eventually it will wear on you like a urinal puck in a gas station men's room. I can only really conjecture on what notes set me off, but any of them individually can be ones I enjoy in a fragrance. In the Brut combination, they simply set me off in the worst way.

It's a scent you need to experience just once, and once is enough for most. Just be careful to not overdo.

I tried a recent version a few years ago and my impression was harsh/cheap lavender combined with an artificial candy flavor. Then I tried some from an older bottle and was surprised by how musky it was, though much smoother, richer, and natural smelling. There are too many better ones for me to take any version of this fragrance very seriously, but I can understand the appeal of the vintage formulation, with its simplicity and the nostalgia factor. I have a similar fragrance from the 1970s, Woodard for Men, Play it Again..., but the muskiness is just too much for me (though the oakmoss is really nice; I don't remember oakmoss in the new Brut I tried)). So, if you like Brut, enjoy it, but don't buy a bottle today and assume it will be what you bought in the 1970s!

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I wore this scent for years 75/81. I never received more compliments from any scent. I have to admit. It is the only scent that I ever had worn for more than a couple of years

Pretty much every girlfriend I had would nuzzel and sniff my neck. And more than a couple of moms would tell me that I always smell good :)

It is a shame that Brut has become the brother to Old spice and Canoe. Which reside on the bottom shelves of Walgreens and CVS

How is that some scents become classics and retain their magic threw the years, and price. For example. Any Creed scent, Ralph Loren, or Channel, just to name a few.

For any teen boy just starting out. That wants the attention of his female class mates and the occasional mom. This is the scent to start out with.

Anything along the line of "axe" it is just plain trash and no body in there right mind should ever tell there son to wear it!

Tell you son that this scent will surly not offend females

Annica
Annica

You could smell Brut in the discos in the 70-ies. It was highly popular and it was one of my favorites among mens fragrances. It made a statement because it was so special. Very intense and sweet but in a good way. I thought it was very sexy and snuggly. I haven´t smelled it in many years. Is it discontinued? If so, it´s really sad. I rate it 9/10.

sanicojo
sanicojo

Rive Gauche YSL es mejor, pero Brut de Faberge es bueno.

williamvargas
williamvargas

my favorite high school fragrance, i still have a bottle of it. i have the plastic bottle now, is the glass version any different..? i have not paid attention for awhile now..but i remember splashing this on.. always a compliment back then..these were days where i would wear this or mennen's wild moss after shave..now that was a great smell...hai karate's and jade east , of course always english leathers's wind drift which was my favorite english leather followed by their musk scent..i will still smell my brute from time to time just for kicks, i think it smells good, i have seen some tube reviewers just trash this stuff, and insult someone who would wear this......but man i think they must not have grown up in the same time or else they would have more respect, maybe it is not cool now to say you like it..as for me , i liked it then and i still do now. if anyone knows for sure the glass bottle version is better please let me know.
i remember the scent macho they put out..i bought that one just cause of the bottle..lol...phallic symbol to the extreme...just smelled like brute to me..
I think they also had like a musk oil.. macho .. I would love to smell that one today just so I could remember it.. I think a bottle of the original macho would be something I would love to have for old time's sake..

JohnMc
JohnMc

Fabulously unreconstructed old school champion fragrance. There is such a juxtaposition in attitude to this in British culture - ask a girl to smell this and they often comment on how nice it is, ask them what they think of 'Brut' and they bombard you with a tirade of negative references.

It's surprisingly refreshing, under-played (this is no silage monster and won't clear a room like many of its contemporaries from back in the day - (Azzaro Ph and Ralph Polo) and is amazingly cheap??

Try even if you're unsure - you'll probably love it too!

my favorite!!! I have 15 in stock if it is discontinued

RobbieX
RobbieX

An iconic scent for men. How many discos in the 70's with T.REX playing has a girl been attracted to a man who wears Brut. A soapy, spicy aniseed/ylang ylang scent and very masculine. It's very under-rated. A seminal man's fragrance that is fantastic value GET IT ON! (bang a gong)

ION
ION

"Brut", is what I call "The Perfume Aspirin" (Do forgive my English here, it works perfectly well in Greek) in the sense one finds it everywhere, it is very affordable, and works fine for any occasion.
I'll agree with most men, "Yes, Brut does smell great indeed!", but I feel it is the combination of the low price with the quality aroma that makes the above statement 100% true.
As a smell, I'd call it charismatic and intellectual. It is very adaptable and social and will effortessly make a sexy/macho guy appear cleverer and viceversa, which as you very well know, it's not a small goal by any means! :-)

An advice: Start with the deodorant spray and take it from there.
Women (not girls) will LOVE you!

scenturian
scenturian

This was my 1st perfume in my life, was given as a gift by a friend when I was a young teen.
Since it is my 1st perfume it has special meaning to me.

magno

thanks for putting this perfume on Fragrantica

my favorite.
fixing surprising
projection absurd
pleasant smell

karlovonamesti

Thank you dearly beloved Fragrantica team for finally adding Brut to the directory. You've really made my day.

As fate would have it, today was a rare "all-Brut regimen day." I woke up at 6:30 am, showered, shaved, and slapped Brut aftershave on my shiny cheeks. I then proceeded to hoist my big honkin' 10 ounce can of Brut spray deodorant, and applied liberally under both arms.

With that accomplished, I went to my closet, picked out my T-shirt and jeans (I'm blessed to work in a place where summer-slum is dresscode), and splashed Brut on my chest, neck, and arms. I dressed, then pulled that beautiful glass bottle of Brut Classic out, and spritzed myself a few times on the collar and sleeves, to cement the powdery floral effect of being entirely put-together and clean.

That fresh pop of lavender, mint, lemon, followed by delicate ylang, patchouli, spicy geranium, and white floral powder is catnip to me, which I guess puts me in league with the millions of men who loved Brut before me. Ladies, you may or may not find the smell of Brut sexy, but let me say this: we men feel like we're on our A-game when we wear it. We're cooler, calmer, and totally collected. If that's not sexy, then perhaps sex, like God, is dead. But I think you girls do, in fact, find the Brut effect sexy, and this is how this fragrance has managed to stay in business for so long. Elvis wore it, for pete's sakes.

The Brut effect, which compliments a man's natural self-confidence and reliability, endures. Hopefully, for many generations to come.

Side Note: Of all the classic barbershop fougeres, like Clubman, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Brut is King. This stuff simply smells more refined than the others, and carries an all-weather versatility with its snappy floral ambiance. Man, I just can't say enough nice things about Brut.

Fragaria
Fragaria

I can't believe this isn't as reviewed, and more so, than Polo. This is as good as the day it was IT. No one remembers Brut, except us oldies. It could become just as popular as it was way back, if people just started to wear this again. It would be like a new scent again. This is certainly a fragrance for Dorian Gray, we've all gotten older but Brut is still photo perfection....uhhh to me! :-)

fishmerised
fishmerised

I just love the smell of Brut on man. A much overlooked and underrated frag by the aficionados but a gem nonetheless.

Grottola
Grottola

Finally, Fragrantica is starting to be a truly complete database - both of the classic men's drugstore titans, Old Spice and Brut, are now on this website.

I'll confess that Brut was never really something I grew up around. My dad never wore it, neither did his dad (my paternal grandfather). My maternal grandfather supposedly wore it, but he died before I was born. Either way, I kind of had to get to know Brut myself, and I've gathered that it's not really a fragrance for me.

BUT, that doesn't necessarily have to do with how "butch" I am or am not. It's more like so many guys wear Brut, and this fragrance has definitely seen more of the world than I have. Don't get me wrong; I *love* aromatic fougeres, and I think if you're just getting into them, then Brut is a logical place to start. As of writing this review, I'm a 19 year old boyish-looking college student still trying to find his place in the world, and Brut doesn't exactly suit me.

So, for the few of you that haven't smelled Brut, what does it smell like? Well, it's a classic lavender-coumarin fougere, with a spicy middle and coumarin/tonka bean to lend to the sweetness. Kind of soapy and very "barbershop"-like.

Finally, as far as I know, two different versions exist. There's the drugstore version in a plastic splash bottle, which smells like Brut, but it's pretty weak and kinda neutered. Then there's one in a glass spray bottle sold in perfume stores called "Brut Classic". The "Brut Classic" version is supposedly a dead ringer for the original, so if you wanna try Brut, why not go the whole way?

Even though I'm not a Brut guy, I gotta give this stuff credit. I mean, come on, it works in pretty much every situation (I dunno about a tux), as long as you don't wear too much of it. Guys, whether you love it or hate it, at least make sure you've tried Brut at some point in your fragrance journey.