Designers » B » Chypre Floral « Groups

Faberge Babe Brut Parfums Prestige for women

Faberge Babe Brut Parfums Prestige for women
dislike

aldehydic
Faberge Babe Brut Parfums Prestige for women Pictures Faberge Babe Brut Parfums Prestige for women Pictures

Faberge Babe was launched in 1977 and discontinued in 1992. Babe is a fresh, beautiful and fabulous fragrance, advertised by the granddaughter of Ernest Hemingway - Margaux Hemingway and, later, by Kathy Smith. Babe is for beautiful women with an exciting career, active, engaged in sports and interested in romance.

The composition is blended of 118 different essences, including aldehydes, raspberry, bergamot, jasmine, hyacinth, ylang-ylang, lily of the valley, honey, rose, orris root, carnation, citrus, coriander, oak moss, amber, vetiver, musk and celery seed.

It is available as a perfume, eau de cologne and the accompanying collection for body care. Faberge Babe was launched in 1976.

Citruses Bergamot Aldehydes Raspberry Jasmine Carnation Hyacinth Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Orris Root white honey Amber Musk Coriander Celery Seeds oak moss vetyver

Yendi
Isa
Babe (2015)
Unspoken
Miss Worth

Faberge Babe Fragrance Reviews

bluebellinthewoods

I agree with Beaufort. I own the original and the current 'copy.' To me the reformulation is a weaker strength interpretation at best. Track down the vintage if you can. However my love is so deep I will use the copy if I can't locate the vintage. The original is just delicious, warm, sexy, and yes, raspberry.

Kiku

"You're fabulous Babe"! sang the commercial and Babe sure was! This was something new and exciting for my generation(the Baby Boomers). Babe was not the frou frou girl who slept on a special satin pillowcase to keep her do from getting crushed. Nor was she the girl who said things like, "The only degree I want is my Mrs. degree"(we thought that was terribly profound!). The Babe woman let the wind blow through her hair and went to college, probably on a scholarship, to get an education so she could have a career. Oh yes, she wanted marriage and family -- someday, just not right now. Babe is the first perfume I remember having a fresh, breezy quality. It was lightly sweet, clean and a bit soapy and very energetic. I would not call this a chypre floral, it seems awfully warm and spicy to be in that family. I would call it a light oriental, an athletic, outdoorsy version of Opium if you will. Whatever you call it, it was a pioneer among perfumes, wish it had lasted longer.

gtabasso
gtabasso

I loathe chypres. With that being said, I like this scent. It goes on BIG with a blast of aldehydes and oakmoss but quickly settles on the skin to a soapy aldehyde floral. It almost has the feel of a Caron with a bite.I do not detect raspberry at all. I am wearing the vintage original.

Beaufort
Beaufort

The original 70's release was a wonderful "soapy raspberry" fragrance which lasted forever on the skin. High quality, elegant and not overly sweet like todays offerings. It reminds me a lot of Robe d'un Jour from Carven.

Warning !!...the new recent release version doesn't even contain the prominent raspberry note. Get the original if you can.
If you like the smell of natural fresh raspberry you will love the original version of this fragrance.

theladymay
theladymay

This is a review of Faberge Babe perfume and cologne - *not* Beauty Brands, which doesn't smell like original Babe in a side to side testing by any stretch of the imagination, nor Brut Prestige which in my 54 years on this earth I've never actually even seen.
Yes Babe was always a drugstore fragrance. You could buy Chanel No 22 in the same drugstore during the 70s, as well as completely destroyed versions of Coty Emeraude. The 1/2 oz. perfume comes in plastic bottles with a tacky, round cap that screams 70s. Very low class. I was a poor kid and I could afford Babe when I was 13, it was cheap and marketed towards teen girls mostly. When my kids were grown and I got into collecting perfume I picked some up, for fun and to have a laugh at my terrible teenage taste. It turns out that my taste was pretty good. Despite being a drugstore frag, there are 118+ ingredients in Babe not the least of which is real oakmoss. It's a well composed gently aldehydic floral chypre starring rose with wonderful raspberry notes, orris, spice, ylang-ylang, jasmine and more on a bed of musky amber. The aldehydes here give it a sunny lift, but very little soapiness, if any. It does not wear espcially vintage as it's not powdery, musty, green, or difficult. The raspberry in Faberge Babe smells like raspberry, not candy and not bathroom spray. (I don't know how Beauty Brands can say they made 'Babe" without raspberry. If you wore Babe at any length in the original version, the BB is not going to fool you.) Sillage is good, as 70s perfumes were, and longevity - the cologne lasts 6-8 hours, and the perfume 10-12.
I was fortunate to find a very special seller (thanks Gary) and now have a massive hoard of well stored, wonderful smelling Babe, top notes intact, which I hope will hold me for the rest of my life. =) If you see it at a reasonable price and like happy, feminine floral aldehydics I highly recommend it.

kl99
kl99

And the news is that Babe is back.

No more Faberge/Brut, but Rebuilt by the same company of Aqua Manda.

I could not try but they say they carefully rebuilt it testing the scent during that process with Babe's fan to recreate the same sensations.

You will find more infos at babeperfume.com.

Let us know

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

Oh yes, had it, loved it......back in the day! Margot Hemingway, by far one of the most beautiful natural looking ladies of the day! Sadly gone too soon also. I forgot about this too, but I can still see her face. Truly beautiful. What did Cher sing "If I could turn back time". They could never make this today to smell exactly as it did back then, well maybe if allowed. Good times back then and great drugstore perfume!

scentee
scentee

I bought a tiny spray bottle, decanted. I don't know whether it was not stored well, or if it just does not age well, but the smell was strong and pungent. I opened the top and filled it with water and it smells better. I wore it today and so far 6 hours later I can still smell it on my shirt.

Brings me back to a time of roller discos and wanting to be older than i was. I would defintely buy it again if they brought it back...youth in a bottle

cyanne
cyanne

There is a demand now for anything retro or nostalgic. Those who never experienced it want to know! It could be marketed as "That Hemingway aura." :)

bonnie52
bonnie52

I loved this in high school and had all but forgotten it till I saw it here. Brings back fond memories of my teen years! I remember it was a very long lasting scent.

bluebellinthewoods

Someone respond to my plea! Bring it back. There is a market for this. The memory lane market at least.

powderqueen
powderqueen

I also was given a bottle of Babe as a teenager. It was also my first "real" perfume. In Australia the bottle was different to the one shown above, with a peach coloured plastic lid and Babe written in the "Fame" style. I kept my empty bottle for at least 20 years, occasionally sniffing my happy teenage memories. Then, on a decluttering binge, I threw it away. What a mistake!!! I would love to smell it again one day.

marsiesmoon
marsiesmoon

Oh I love this fragrance so much ! It was a scent I longed to posess in the 80's when I was in grade school.The girl who boarded the bus before me wore it and it smelled so good! I finally asked what it was and then begged my parents for it for Christmas.I cannot tell you a single note that stands out, but it was just so sexy.Like salty skin, flowers and musk.I just acquired a bottle on Ebay.It is old, but I can still detect the original, beautiful scent.Bring it back, honestly-bring it back!

Shadow_Witch
Shadow_Witch

The opening was a beautiful 1970s green floral/chypre very similar to Coty Nuance, that quickly evolved into a sticky raspberry and oakmoss stench on my skin. Off-putting.

Adrien02
Adrien02

A blast from the '70s past. I can only remember liking the opening then experiencing an almost sickening drydown. Even now I can still remember that smell :{

I just recalled what this one reminds me of: Missoni by Missoni, an EDC version of it. Still can only take so much of it.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I wish they would bring this scent back! It's one of the few perfumes that have a carnation note but DON'T make me sneeze. I think Babe has an interesting and complex mix of notes, for such an inexpensive scent.
I first used it as an afterbath splash, which was four for a dollar, small bottles, in a local discount drugstore. The splash lasted surprisingly long and had a decent sillage. Then I bought a small bottle of the Babe fragrance oil---incredible longevity!!!
I could never pick out an individual note, in terms of any being dominant, but the mix of herbal and sweet really appealed to me.
Babe was named for legendary female athlete Babe Didrikson, and the spokesmodel was Mariel Hemingway.It was one of many "liberated woman" scents that emerged in the wake of Charlie, and I think it actually smelled better on me than Charlie.
Correction: The spokesmodel was Mariel's big sister Margeaux.

ingahoberg
ingahoberg

I diddn't think much of it when it came out, thought it was just another "teen scent" in a big, loud, ugly bottle. I recently aquired a 4 oz. bottle and am liking it for an everyday after bath type fragrance. I don't find it strong or lasting all that long. It's just a nice mellow scent for everyday. It has a nice flowery, musky scent that is comfortable and inviting. It would be fine for any activity or occasion.

julieanneh
julieanneh

This was gifted to my by my siblings in the late 70's and I was still in primary school. I remember liking it, but it was given to me being the baby of the family and nicknamed Babe. (well before any movie) I wish I could buy it now just to smell it again.

sherryberry
sherryberry

@Scarlette, I used to wear Cie in the 80's, when I was in high school. I loved it so much. I was looking around for it here, and was surprised it wasn't listed. I also wore Babe a lot in the 80's.

MadameBlueMonarch
MadameBlueMonarch

The best scent ever made. Wore it to clubs-danced ALOT and the guys always commented on it. Exact comments not suitable for sharing (wink). There is a page on FB for it with hopes to raise a cry to re-market it. If you loved it, go and LIKE the page. I miss it, and paid a small fortune for a very small amount and would do it again.

Scarlette
Scarlette

I LOVED Babe in the 70s and 80s!! I wish the best ones weren't discontinued. Very feminine, strong, confident; a sweet airiness coupled with a deep sensual mossiness.
Reminds me of Cie by Shulton...not in the system.

lobitadetj
lobitadetj

Loved this fragrance way back when I was a teenager. Too bad they discontinued it. What fragrance resembles Babe? Really would like to know.

Madame Blue Monarch
Madame Blue Monarch

The sweat you made dancing your butt off all night only made it smell better!
There was a lot of men who danced with me at nightclubs and one thing I could always count on was being asked to dance and hearing, "damn, you smell good" in a purring voice next to my ear.
I knew I did. I still love things that smell wonderful. This perfume still rocks me whenever I can manage to track some down.
There is a FB page dedicated to getting enough 'LIKES' to entice the owners of the rights to the perfume to re-release it due to popular demand. We want to show them it WAS loved-greatly, we DO want it back, we STILL want it!!! Please, if you're on FB, look up the page.

camaral
camaral

Babe also made underarm deodorant spray- very inexpensive- which I wore for a couple of years in the mid to late 80s, and always got tons of compliments. It was really awkward when people would ask what my amazing fragrance was!
I think I saw some in a drug store within the last year or so, but have learned my lesson about trying to relive past fragrances from that far back. (They seem to have turned or been reformulated...Or maybe I have. Lol!)

me79
me79

I would LOVE to know how this smells, anyone ?

Henriette
Henriette

Oh, what a trip back to when I was 15 or 16! If you wanted to be à la page, you had to wear Babe. I remember the slogan with Margaux Hemigway and her 1 million dollars. It was an intense scent, very long lasting, almost annoying to people around you (some of my schoolmates hated it - I was in a nun's school and I felt very trasgressive wearing Babe but also L'Heure Bleue and tons of Charlie and Miss Dior) but very nice. I do not know if it would be welcomed again today, maybe a bit surpassed but truly truly truly very nice. Very special in its own special way, very innovative back then.

Mandana
Mandana

"Babe" what a blast! This fragrance was hot back in the late 70's, it reminded me of "Charlie's Angels", flared sequinned jeans, shiny lipgloss, big hair and disco lights... It smelled the same on every girl or woman though, and everyone was either wearing it or talking about buying it! I got a bottle too of course, it smelled to me like a fresh sweet breeze, buoyant, wearing "Babe" was like going up in a hot-air balloon and maybe not returning to earth again!! Interestingly there were many notes in this fragrance, so many florals for instance I see, hence the sweetness.I didn't smell the musk though and the drydown in my view was not much different from the opening notes, it started off sweet and stayed that way, there seemed to be nothing in "Babe" to stabilize the light notes. The perfume was complex, but just about every woman or girl at the time liked it, because it was so feminine exciting, and incredibly sweet and "airy". Hence the description of the hot-air balloon and not making it back to earth again! By today's standards "Babe" is slightly dated though but at the time of launch it was "the" perfume for a young woman to wear. Getting a bottle for your best Girl friend for Christmas was the ultimate present! The name suited the perfume very well too. Thanks for reading my review!

Jilly B
Jilly B

This was my first 'proper' fragrance in a bottle. I think I was around 12 ( so that'd be 1983) and I got a huge bottle for my Christmas from my mum and dad. I felt so grown up, with my bottle reminiscent of the 'fame' logo and the gold lid.

I vaguely remember it being very sweet, but not in an annoying way, just very clean and innocent.

Happy memories and good times.

this was my signature fragrance as a teen. i loved this and couldn't get enough of it. it smelled like all the notes described in a wonderful mix, poured into a cute, young stylish bottle. this site is sure bringing me back.

luckystar12
luckystar12

The favorite of the 80's teenagers, like me!! very fresh and clean like a soap

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I was surprised to see the complicated formula and all the different notes in Babe. It was always a drugstore/mass market retailer scent that was very affordable in its day, though that was an era when even an inexpensive mass market scent still contained quality ingredients.

My favorite aunt and my sister wore this one in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The aunt seemed very sophisticated to me: a career woman in her 20's with a handsome husband and no children. She had a trendy wardrobe and traveled the world. My sister was in junior high when she wore this one. Oddly, the scent didn't seem out of place on either of them.

My recollection of this scent is purely the MUSK. It was very feminine, very clean but very musky and it lasted for ages. I agree with the other comments that it wouldn't sell now. It seems very much of its time and place. Would love to give it a sniff for nostalgia's sake.

Kiku

To me this is a typical 80's perfume: the opening is sparkling and fruity, the middle an undistinguishable melange of flowers. The bottom is rather sharp. Nothing to make it memorable.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I had a roommate that wore this . She used too much and I think it was meant to be used more sparingly. It was a real 80s perfume and was strong and powerful. Women liked perfume that rocked your world back then. It was a pretty good one if used with a light hand. I don't think it would sell now though, too eighties.