Designers » B » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Faberge Woodhue Brut Parfums Prestige for women

Faberge Woodhue Brut Parfums Prestige for women
dislike

Woodhue perfume was launched in 1944 and was extremely popular 50-ies. It opens with the notes of orange, bergamot and citrus. The heart is composed of jasmine, laid on a base of sandalwood, vanilla, cedar and musk.

Bergamot Citruses Orange

Jasmine

Sandalwood Virginia Cedar Vanille

Hope
Lagerfeld Classic

Faberge Woodhue Fragrance Reviews

grayspoole
grayspoole

Brut? Prestige? Say what? Woodhue was produced by Faberge a perfume company launched in 1937 as an upmarket perfume house. After sorting out their use of the Faberge jewelers' name in 1951, the company was sold in 1964. Between 1964-84, Faberge produced Brut, Babe, Kiku and many other successful products, while continuing to market the older fumes. Cary Grant became a well paid "creative consultant" for Faberge in 1968, although there is no evidence that he ever applied a single drop of drugstore Faberge cologne to his ever-elegant, always-bespoke person.

Woodhue appeared in 1944 but my cologne version dates from the 60's. A 1966 ad for Woodhue makes it clear that Woodhue is made for the singular woman:

If you're an individualist, there's something in it for you--it's zingy, swingy, full of surprises. Some say Woodhue is a free translation of fall's first brash breeze...crisp leaves crackling underfoot...pale cool sunlight. Others insist it's the very soul of nonconformity.

All of this advertising flimflam does makes some sense because Woodhue is a rare thing: a vintage scent for women that is dominated by woody notes. Fragrantica groups it with "floral woody musks." As I experience Woodhue, it calls to mind the great French woody grand dame, Vol de Nuit.

The opening of Woodhue is not a citrus salad, despite the pyramid. The bergamot splashes out fresh and juicy but fades quickly (as it usually does). The floral midnotes read as mostly jasmine and carnation to me, but whatever else is in the blend--and there is more--makes for a subtle, sophisticated, and very addictive scent. The drydown is soft sandalwood, light vanilla, spices, and a frisky bit of civet. My cologne concentration is not especially potent, although it is respectable, but I bet Woodhue in the vintage parfum would be really amazing (vide Cybernoir's review below).

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

I have no idea why Fragrantica does not list the original Faberge Woodhue. This was available as cologne, in various concentrations (there is a cologne concentree) and in a pure perfume oil. The cologne is found in cute cylindrical bottles with wooden tops, usually splash. The perfume oil was sold in high end department stores in early metal rollerballs, in brass and goldtone filigree. The perfume oil is creamy Mysore sandalwood, paired with a light dusting of vetyver and oakmoss, woody perfection. It is clean and simple, but not a searing sawmill wood. This is soft and creamy, a memento box filled with chips of aromatic woods, mixed with dried herbs and dusty flowers. If you can find the perfume oil, it is a fine sandalwood exemplar.

There is not much else to say about Woodhue. It is sandalwood, of the finest quality. It can bolster the base of many perfumes, particularly florals, and is great for layering. Wears close, lasts 4-5 hours in oil, 3-4 hours with cologne, 6+ hours layering the cologne and the oil.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

Actually, there was a Woodhue for men fragrance as well, maybe that's what Dean Martin wore. I'm not sure there was a lot of difference between the two. I'll have to hunt up the set I had and see how the male version smells.

ranchorita
ranchorita

According to his daughter Deana, American crooner Dean Martin exclusively wore Woodhue as his fragrance all his adult life. He certainly had style oozing from his pores, so if one man could make this work, it would have been him. I would love to get a whiff of this!

sweetrosagail
sweetrosagail

Soft and feminine. Reminds me so much of my Mother. She used to get it with S & H Greenstamps.

stormyla
stormyla

This was one of my mother's daily fragrance choices. I admit to helping myself to "splashes" of it fairly frequently. This was my first experience with "woody" scents. I think that this was the best of the Faberge scents at the time. I recently found a small bottle of the vintage scent. So far I haven't worn it, only sniffed it from the bottle. It smells just as good as it did 50 years ago!

saphire51
saphire51

I wore this, Aquarius, Tigress and Seven Winds most of the time as a teenager! I wish they would bring these scents back!

lulu7898
lulu7898

Creamy, powdery and woodsy. It is such a comforting and exciting smell! I fell in love all over again.

[email protected]
faehls@aol.com

A long time ago I used nothing but Fabrage Woodhue Spray Cologne. I loved it and was so disappointed when they discontinued it. I looked all over for it. A friend told me of this website and I am glad I have found it again. When I was single, it drew men to me. That is how I got my husband. He fell in love with my scent.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

My mother had a bottle of this, I had forgotten all about it. I saw a picture of the bottle and the memory was piercing! I remember holding it and stroking the smooth wood cap. It seemed to smell so grown up and beautiful, it held promises for my future. And I still love wood scents!

Orange blossom vintage? Definitely has a vintage feel. Takes me to childhood where I first smelled this and it seemed so adult. Classic construction, very 'golden' in the way the wood, musk and flowers combine. Quite nice, but almost black tie to me. Definitely of its time, but elegantly so. Not dated.

StarMagix
StarMagix

My bottles are all empty now but once in a while I will bring them out just to see if I can catch a smell of this wonderful scent. I use to love this one so much when I was a teenager and I would still wear it if I could find a good bottle. So many of the vintage fragrances have lost that fresh fragrant smell to me though. I do wish they would remake these scents using the same strength as they did in the beginning.

I was able to find a bottle of the vintage, men's version (though I've read that it's exactly the same as the women's). Anyway, as JB78 says, it's sweet, powdery, and dense at first, drying down to a non-synthetic sandalwood with a hint of amber and something animalic.

UPDATE: I now have a new version too. It seems like it's weaker than the original, though not that much different. It's not as powdery or as dense as the original, especially in the opening. I'm not sure if it would still be worth buying, so I'll have to give it a full wearing at some point and then update again.

The reformulated version of this is available at Vermont Country Store for $40.00.

Kiku
Kiku

The first fragrance I ever fell in love with. So different from the polite, girly, flowery fragrances of the mid-60's but less naughty than that "bad girl" fragrance, Tigress. The opening of citrus packed a punch. Then it dried down to a soft, powdery vanilla/ spice/snadalwood. And I loved the block-of-wood cap!

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Oh, I used to love this scent so much! I loved all the Fabrege lines of perfumes. Where or where have they gone? This and Tigress were always my favorites! This was a nice woodsy sweet smell alot like Audace was.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Brut Parfums Prestige Faberge Woodhue fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Brut Parfums Prestige Faberge Woodhue, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Faberge Woodhue by Brut Parfums Prestige. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Faberge Woodhue by Brut Parfums Prestige represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.