Designers » B » Oriental Woody « Groups

Black Bvlgari for women and men
dislike

I have it: 2003 I had it: 688 I want it: 981 My signature: 40

leather
Black Bvlgari for women and men Pictures Black Bvlgari for women and men Pictures Black Bvlgari for women and men Pictures

As its smokey, rubbery and woody notes implie, Black is created for a man living a metropolitan life. Black was composed without an olfactive pyramid. It starts with a smoky black tea, in this case lapsang souchong, urban and masculine, simulating rubber, car tires, cars, roads and motor noise while the notes of amber and woody notes remind that even the largest cities hide romantic moments at sunsets. It is created by Annick Menardo in 1998.

Green Tea Bergamot Rose

Sandalwood Cedar Jasmine

Leather Amber Musk Vanilla Oakmoss

Midnight in Paris
Dzing!

Black Fragrance Reviews

Lexxy
Lexxy

Absolutely LOVE it! Think it's so sexy. Love the dark sweet vanilla with the naughty rubber mix. Now you guys know this is what Mr. Grey smells like! Wonder how he got that rubbery scent on him? hmmm could it be from his rubber sheets!? haha ;)

If you don't tell people about the tea note that makes it smell like that they probably won't even notice it. I find it very wearable especially after it settles in. It's just a sexy, sensual, yummy lil scent that's different from the rest.

jade50

I love Bvlgari Black, it is different, but that is not why I like it. I like the rubber, I like the vanilla, the tea and I like how it smells on me. And clearly many others enjoy this. This is unique. For those who don't like it, it is in poor form to question the taste (or reason) of those of us who do love this. A simple review will suffice. This is to you @ Sh_oK.

Sh_oK
Sh_oK

I see a lot of people love this fragrance. I'm not sure how many actually like it and how many just say they do because it is different (and because the 'experts' say it's really good).
Different doesn't always mean necessarily good.

To me this one smells like a guy who just changed he's tire, or like an auto mechanic.
Horrible. Why would someone want to smell like a tire?

LanceDior
LanceDior

If you've seen The Wild One, or Rebel Without a Cause, this is the smell of badasses in leather or striking red windbreakers. It contains unusual and cool notes of rubber, leather and gasoline, but is sweetened underneath by a raw, sexy vanilla.
I put this on, and someone asks me what I'm rebelling against, and I reply 'Whatta ya got?'

erkek
erkek

Really original scent. Also it soothes.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

I was given a sample of this by a fellow fragrantican (thank you!) and having used up my little sample bottle surprisingly quickly I decided to go ahead and purchase a full bottle.

I really like this scent. I had some trouble finding it as it always seems to be listed under male rather than female, but I eventually found a 75ml edt for a good price. Actually, considering the quality of this perfume the price surprised me as I thought it would be more expensive.

On me, this opens with leather and vanilla - and what smelled, to me, like violet leaf although it isn't a listed note. I wonder if this is the tea accord? Either way, it smells like violet leaf to me and I like it!
The leather is a very clean leather smell, not a skanky or dirty type leather and in fact reminds me more of the suede in TF Violet Blonde than the leather in Shalimar. I kind of get where people are coming from with the rubber note, I don't especially get it myself, I wondered if it was the suggestion with the textured rubbery feel to the bottle, but I can, sort of see where people are coming from, so maybe it is how we perceive the smell - I smell it as a suedey leather. But then I also seem to smell imaginary violet leaves, soooooo....

The hint of amber and rose combined with the vanilla actually reminds me a little of the rose-vanilla-amber smell of pre-reformulation Tocade. To me it forms a similar "round" smell, ah it is hard to explain I don't know if other people have certain shapes or colours associated with words or smells? But to me those notes in Tocade are like a small round bouncy ball, and they form a similar shape in my mind in Black.

This settles fairly quickly into a very pleasant, warm, well blended vanilla - clean leather (or clean leather-vanilla) that smells, as I said, almost like a suede note, with rose and amber supporting. The violet leaf smell eases away after an hour or two, reappearing about 4 hours in. The amber intensifies for me after about the second hour and the leather and vanilla remain fairly consistent throughout on me. The rose comes and goes, the sandalwood is only evident after about 4 hours for me along with the jasmine, giving this a lovely clean feel. I do not detect cedar, musk, bergamot or oakmoss at all.

This is a surprisingly wearable, versatile and relaxed perfume. It is not bombastic, not in your face and on me smells very feminine.
Longevity is moderate, about 6 hours on me, I would prefer it lasted longer, but I have a 75ml spray now so for the time being I can refresh during the day. Sillage is quite gentle too, I think this radiates about 1 or 2 feet only although I have not had any comments on this yet so don't know for sure.
I do like the bottle, I am not someone who is overly fussed by bottle design but this feels pleasing to hold. However I really dislike the box!

Javy_Medz
Javy_Medz

Bvlgari Black and Body Kouros share the same synthetic sweetness. Like drinking soda filled with aspartame instead of corn syrup. Still love the opening of Black but the dry down makes me cringe. I hate you Body Kouros. You turned me against one of my favorites.

Update: I see that Black includes "Vanilla" while Body Kouros includes "Benzoin"... If Black is coming off so artificial in its sweetness one can only say that Black doesn't include vanilla at all but rather its lesser counterpart.. which is supposed to imitate vanilla... but it's definitely a noticeable replacement. (BENZOIN)

Freakmotion
Freakmotion

It's a very classy composition, which can be described as vanilla leather or leather vanilla if that makes sense. The vanilla is intense, but is blended along with the leather so well that I can't smell them apart from each other.

The tea note is faint, but you can't tell it's the Bvlgari "tea" you smell in all of them.

I wore this in the summer and it's lovely. But here it's fall right now and man... It's so good I want to eat myself. I think it's ideal for any ocassion when you dress up good (suit or not) and PERFECT for cold temperature.

If you want to blind buy this and you are into gourmands or sweet smells, go ahead, as it is quite inexpensive for the quality it really has. Underrated gem.

By the way, I feel no rubber note whatsoever. What I do feel it's burnt sugar, but heavily burned, only in the first five minutes. The rest I smell it as I described before.

mikedvd5588
mikedvd5588

Bau karet ban pada top notes, berubah menjadi sexy vanilla powdery pada drys nya, my most daring scent ever karna top notes nya haha

SamTheRiddler
SamTheRiddler

After wanting to try this for a while, I finally found a store near-by that had it. It took me approximately 0.0001 seconds after smelling all the leathery-glory to decide that I NEEDED to own it, so I went straight home, jumped on my computer and bought it online (for much less than it was in the store, of course).

This perfume is a fairly interesting combination of leather and vanilla, with a hint of rubber and a hint of tea, all on a warm spicy-woody (I can identify amber, sandalwood and cedar notes) background. Definitely a raw, young, sensuous perfume.

I am not all that keen on vanilla (and sweetness/gourmand anything in general), but this fragrance is well balanced, and masculine enough that the vanilla doesn't bother me. I am also often inclined towards what could be described as 'old lady scents' - but this is a definite exception to that inclination.

It seems a few people have a problem with the synthetic rubber-like note (which I can definitely smell in the opening), but I like the smell of rubber/plastic/weird synthetic things, so it only only adds to the over-all wonder of this glorious fragrance.

The only complaint really is that the silage is rather non-existent. Other then that though, it's magic in my books. Not to mention also extremely sexy.

jade50

Very simply I love Bvlgari Black. Mainly I smell leather and vanilla. A bit of rubber and hot tar drifts in on some wearings.
I looked for this for a year.
Unique. Beautiful. I crave this.
And yes this is perfect for a woman who enjoys a bit of masculinity in her fragrance as I do. Marvelous.

deja vu-gr
deja vu-gr

I would like to make clear that am an admirer of a great brand name of Sotirios Voulgaris(Bulgari) and the high class and quality that represents and i had got many perfumes in my collection in the past but smelling this one reminds me a car's burning tyre.
Absolutely disgusting feeling and i think that bvlgari could do it much better. I threw the paper strip a half an hour later but i still keep the paper strip sprayed with Aigner black that i find it by far better and interesting and really i can't stop snif it.Think about it.
Guys from Bvlgari you have given to us absolutely great and high quality products but you have to represent a new better version of this one asap,you can do it better i am sure of that.

LizzieBea
LizzieBea

Bvlgari Black is a contradiction. The combination of these ugly scents somehow adds up to this stunning and extremely attractive perfume. Instead of being without gender, it represents the traditional aspects of both genders simultaneously. It's a perfume engineering marvel!

yantestrs
yantestrs

Created for a man, worn by this woman. Fantastically different in a sea of fruity/floral/sugary things. Sweet rubber and green at different times.

Dinkum
Dinkum

Really nice stuff. Leather and vanilla. I get the tea notes as well, but the rubber is very muted (on me at least).

Black have a discreet sillage, but lingers on. And on. And on. I can detect it after a full nights sleep. Lovely.

neilvizuett
neilvizuett

I´ve heard that Midnight in Paris smells similar to Dior Homme Intense. I like DHI, but I haven´t smelled MIP. Here I´ve read that Bvlgari Black smells similar to Midnight in Paris, but I don´t see any similarities in BB with DHI. Actually I hated this smell, I blind bought it (Bvlgari Black) and I regret it. On a paper it smells horrible, like burnt plastic or gasoline. On my skin it smells so so, but honestly I´d never wear it, I´d always wear something else instead. I thought it would smell something like DHI or Ferragamo F Black... I was wrong, it smells like gasoline and car´s leather seats.

Jassar
Jassar

Good but weird. Smells like a bike innertube with vanilla sprayed on it.

zu_misha
zu_misha

This was a blind buy for me based on luca turin & Tania Sanchez's review in their book. I have to admit that no matter how I try, this scent does not go with my chemistry. I understand the rubber note at the beginning that eventually fades so it does not really bother me. What doesn't work for me it the heavy "dirty" vanilla note that lingers forever on my skin. A very raw sexual fragrance. To me this evokes scenes of rumpled beds with strewn glasses of cognac and ciggies in the wee hours of the morning before sunrise. I have a whole bottle that may remain hardly used.

VanMarlton
VanMarlton

I have a strange relationship with this scent. I sampled it, liked it, bought it. I wore it, still liked it but not its performance - sometimes it was ok, other times projection was almost non-existent which was really pissing me off and I gave it away "to charity". Re-acquired it later from Amazon for a good price. I figured I could just go extra heavy on the trigger with this stuff. It is cheap enough for that and besides, I am not likely to run out because of how many other bottles I got.

The scent itself is exceptional in my opinion. Usually, poor performance of any given fragrance is a deal breaker for me, but there are some notable exceptions and this is one of them. Whatever is going on in this mix.. it is pretty awesome. When people say it smells like rubber I always think it is quite an overstatement. There might be some sort of "vibe" lurking in there, but it definitely dont SMELL like rubber. This smells like a fragrance. And a really damn good fragrance, too (spare for the sillage aspect).

eddie.gallardo
eddie.gallardo

Worst smell ever! I put this on and I felt like I was at a race track racing my civic! Horrible stuff!

arrode
arrode

This smells like a sexy, vanilla tire shop. Definitely unisex, though, I feel like it's slightly more feminine. The rubber smell is definitely there and makes this perfume completely unique compared to anything else on the market. Easily worn by a man or woman.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This is another vial that I've had for a very long time, going back and forth on the rubberiness that everyone talks about. Initially, there's only vanilla: somewhat weak, and thankfully devoid of alcohol fumes, but then a slight floral green edge presages the rubber or plastic component to come. After a few minutes, the scent begins to burn the nostrils with a sharper, more direct spicyness, and takes on a much more synthetic tinge. The smell at this point is definitely automotive, and I'm kicking myself for not sampling Fahrenheit in so long, to see how it stacks up. I see BB more as the scent of an auto parts store, a collision of a cheap car air freshener with "new car smell," with the new tires relegated to the back. It isn't as blatantly obvious of an air freshener as Versace the Dreamer, but it's still not hard to place what it's reminding me of. It has a lot of fiery spices which I appreciate (almost reminding me of Palisander), and a little cherry which I don't, but it's just too plastic, too much of a fiction, a simulacrum, for me to fully appreciate.

zenbabylove
zenbabylove

Angelina Jolie wears this.

On my skin it's slightly masculine and the vanilla lasts longest.

I would definitely repurchase!

Brock
Brock

Astounding fragrance. Leather, vanilla, rose. Like a Choose-Your-Adventure book. A different route each time I wear it.

aysegulsec
aysegulsec

A real masterpiece!

I always loved house of Bvlgari, I can give Bvlgari Black as the concrete reason why.

It's extraordinary and brave as it really does smell like new tyres, or an eraser with an ellegant vanilla aroma but it takes only half an hour before this rubbery smell leaves off and what's left behind is so clean and baby-ish; you want to burry your nose wherever you sprayaed it.

I do not get a very strong vanilla, sandal and citrus make a good balance and create a soft, fresh and clean scent and after 2 hours, what it's evolved into reminds me of Joop Night flight; common notes like rose, sandal, amber, jasmine and musk constitute a very similar base.

It is unisex but in every perfume store it was classified as a men's fragrance and when I said it is unisex, I saw many surprised faces :)Alas, I must admit it is more proximate to masculine side but I don't give a damn cause I don't have any problems even with "pour homme" fragrances.

It's worth a try if you're not too prejudicial, for an insatible and eclectic nose like me; it suely is a work of art and deseves a good place in the wardrobe.

Good Job Bvlgari, as always..

rod7elfo
rod7elfo

this is a different kind of fragance.
if you are looking for a new experience this is a good option; maybe you will be surprising with the openning; but is innovation.
think about having a new sport car mixed with love.

aucffan1
aucffan1

I dont see how anyone could dislike this.. But that is just my opinion.. I like to some times combine this with Knize Ten.. I get sniffs from the ladies when I am near them.. I notice them take a deep sniff trying to figure it out.. They even lean in to smell..

I really love this..

8.5 - 10 for scent
7.5 - 10 for longevity
8.0 - 19 sillage

dubairob
dubairob

Bvlgari Black is one fragrance which is completely of its times - the 1990s. Black is so characteristically a fragrantic summation of this decade that I can't smell it without thinking of this time of confident hypermodernism, walls coming down, and the first fresh and exciting blast of globalism. It is no exaggeration to say that this is the fragrance equivalent of U2's Achtung Baby, an edgy road-trip in rubber suits and stardust-coated cowboy hats.

Yes, it is a rubber tire whizzing on asphalt (that in itself guarantees the genius posterity of Annick Menardo); yes, the tyre does ditch itself in a bed of vanilla pretty soon, but lingers with a whiff for some time; and yes, it does suggest free-wheeling sexuality. But all said this is a wonderful fragrance that will always feel a little bit daring, avant-garde and an exciting - and very reasonable - entry into niche-like, experimental territory.

I have no doubts recommending Bvlgari Black as a try to anybody who is willing to experiment with fragrance a little. My only drawback with this is that, like the 1990s itself, the road-trip is over far too soon....

I would absolutely love to see an EDP or Intense version of this.

magrathea17
magrathea17

doesn´t it work well with my chemistry or is it supposed to smell like this?

this one smells on me like a car interior with cheap vanilla air freshener in a very very hot summer weather - suffocating, headache inducing :(

glad I didn´t blind buy this one

wind83
wind83

So Masculine type, i have miniature 5 ml. enough for me to try it for evening/ night. Its moderate in my skin for 5-6 hours.

drlaurel
drlaurel

Am I the only one getting sandalwood here? It smells like dolce vita with leather and tea. I think easily a woman's fragrance maybe even more than a mans. its pushing gourmandy and if you took the leather out it would be. i get no bergamont. I understand the rubber reference but think its wood and tea mixed. The vanilla persists throughout.

Catty
Catty

Very very sensual!!!! I wore it for years and years...I will repurchase this gem soon.

tkomaigo77
tkomaigo77

Fahrenheit by Dior, Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella and Bvlgari Black are my "boys in cars" fragrances. They form a little trio in my head like the three musketeers or Charlie's Angels. Nostalgia is a bad ass, it's all about tobacco leather and gasoline. Fahrenheit is much cooler still loaded with gasoline and leather but it's got none of the warmth Nostalgia has.
Black is softer and sweeter than the other two but in place of gasoline we have a screeching rubber tire note. This note is strangely well balanced with vanilla amber and a hint of leather, and it gives Black the unexpected WOW which makes it so extremely unique and interesting. It will never be a favorite fragrance but it should definitely be somebody's, and it will always have a place in my wardrobe.

asia.kfiatek
asia.kfiatek

I do like it as an idea. I'm just not sure how often I would wear it. I love the opening notes, the strong blast of rubber quickly turning into leather, I get the tea and it works with it as well, and the vanilla with it takes the edge off, making it a bit sweeter. Nice, sexy, powerful. That I like on me. The dry down on my skin is pretty much pure vanilla, with just a hint of leather and that I find too sweet and powdery, and these are not my favourite things. It would never be my first choice of a scent but I guess I can see myself wearing it every so often, when I run out of better stuff.

IsaIsabella

This makes it on my top 10 list anytime because it is so unique and intriguing.

On first spray, Bvlgari Black marks its presence with a loud rubbery note, just like good quality car tires. As the scent settles, the leather comes in and reminds me of leather seats in a car (as written in my previous review). I cannot detect the tea scent but reckon it is there to complement the rubbery leather note by darkening it and making the scent edgier. On my skin, the harsh rubbery note fades rather fast as a soft powdery vanilla note envelops me along with just a hint of leather.

For me, I don't see an issue with the 'weird' mix of rubber and vanilla. In fact, I thought it was intriguing, given the strange mix of textures - suede, leather and powder.

Good longevity - 6-8 hours
Silage: arm's length

peachypixie
peachypixie

My hb has had this fragrance since before we met, and I never knew it was a unisex scent. I am seeing a lot of people noticing a "rubber tire" note, and while I see what they're talking about, I don't get any acrid rubber smell at all. It reminds me of leather jackets, or even a ride on a motorcycle, inhaling the woodsy air and the sexy smell of leather and vanilla. The tea note only projects this image further. It smells like fragrant, romanticized forest plants. It makes me feel sexy and ~mysterious~ and I love it on my man just as much.

lemonfreshman
lemonfreshman

There is a licorice and vanilla vibe here that is reminiscent of Lolita Lempicka.

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

I'm sorry, but what in the world is this supposed to be? A racetrack? This opens up with a "tea" note that literally smells like rubber, which makes a lot of sense. What about the drydown? There's absolutely nothing; no vanilla, no leather, nothing at all. I was expecting so much more from this, but unfortunately I was so let down. All I can say is that this is a very strange scent. I prefer Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels to this.

Cyrule
Cyrule

I bought a bottle of this from a department store without testing it first, and my first spritz was a bit offputting: it initially reminded me of one of my friend's noxious lotion from Bath and Body Works that smelled sweet and of burning aromatic woods. I asked my family what they thought, and was met with mixed feelings there as well. I decided to perservere and try again later.

I first tried two sprays. There was vanilla, but it was enriched by a burnt rubber smell. I realized then that rather than being cloying as was my friend's fragrance, the burnt rubber (green tea?) note simply made the smell warm, reminding me of exquisite spring sunlight. It wasn't until I used three sprays that the fragrance revealed its true colors: the warmth darkened into a smell that reminded me more of a bonfire at night. Occasionally the cedar would come to my attention independently and provide a hint of freshness as contrast. As the day progressed, the fragrance eventually became something that smelled familiar, but exposed my amateurity. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it was powdery yet appetizing. A couple of days later a whiff of it remained on my outerwear, and smelled slightly creamy. Not bad at all. On my body the fragrance lasted over 24 hours, and may have lasted even longer had I not showered.

Other people exposed to the fragrance on me either don't notice or decline to comment for the most part. One of my male friends picked up on it, but the first person to notice was an older lady coworker I hugged, who commented that I smelled great. Another older lady seated next to her piped up that she agreed, and she could smell it from where she was. "That's not necessarily good", I commented, suddenly self-conscious as I thought the sillage was somewhat close to the skin.

"No, I really like it. It's simple, just right. Would you mind telling me the name of it?" I told her, later wondering if I should have spelled out Bvlgari for clarification.

Ultimately it has really grown on me with repeated exposure. My recommendation is give it a second go if you don't like it at first. Perhaps it's a bit of an acquired taste for, say, wearing on a first date, but I'm happy to wear it for my own personal indulgence.

kiristarr
kiristarr

At first blast --> Full-on tire store, standing in the corner where they sell the vanilla trees that dangle from the rearview.

Then, a gradual fade to a cleaner vanilla.

Jiminy Cricket! What men will I attract wearing this fragrance out on a Friday night? Grease monkeys, I'd imagine. But out and about in the urban crowd, at a tapas bar, Black comes alive. Rubber finally recedes a bit, allowing other notes to emerge.

A couple hours later, out on the urban streets, vanilla is all I detect. Melding with the urban landscape, the rubber note vanishes entirely.

Home again; home again, diggity dog. And suddenly, the rubber note returns.

An extraordinary fragrance. Not beautiful by any means, but an experience. The work of a master. Organic. Industrial. (Not sure what I'd make of it in the country, but I'm willing to try it for giggles.)

timoroso
timoroso

Rather than rubber, what I get from the opening is simply tar. Sprayed on (my) skin it quickly dissipates and only a little vanilla remains. On fabric the tar remains for longer.

If you like this, you'll love the Finnish Terva Leijona candy.

idressyou
idressyou

Call me crazy, but this smells much like Liquid Gold furniture polish. I actually like the way *that* smells... on furniture. Not so much on humans. Of course, as is usually the case with frags I'm not fond of, the staying power is incredible.

Daniel.Friedrich42
Daniel.Friedrich42

This fragrance had me torn apart for a while.
I really love the rubber opening and the kinda dirty vanilla/leathery combo it drys down to. It reminds me of a hot day in the city with warm rubber/tire coming from the streets and spices/vanilla streaming through doors of shops close by.
The problem was longevity. On my skin the rubber(tea-note) faded very fast and the leather also quit really soon. All I was left with after about 1 hour was vanilla with a hint of sandalwood underneath. Not bad by any means but it kinda made me sad that such a lovely fragrance did so poorly on my skin.
I ultimately handed it on to a woman who really loved it. On her it has all the longevity and power i had hoped for.
I guess Black is something i love to smell but not on me.
A solid "like" from me but not enough performance for "love"

ginger68
ginger68

A masterpiece! On my skin it is very close to Dzing, but more wereable. Rubber, leather, vanilla. This is the fragrance that you love or hate. After a few hours I smell a smoky licorice, not very sweet. I think that it depends on the type of skin. You must try it and then it will be one of your fav or you will avoid it forever. Anyway it is an interesting trip through the world of fragrances!

zararbutt
zararbutt

Got this bottle today after reading so many reviews, but i am disappointed. A very weak / mild rubber note prdominantly with vanilla all over, from start till end you get vanilla. Unisex for sure but IMO mostly towards feminine than masculine.

darksome
darksome

In the beginning, I smell mostly vanilla and tea, giving a very reisnous, but also powdery feel.

All in all it really smells like a very sweet powdery, vanilla scented baloon + peach shampoo + hay + honey.

About the rubber smell.. My boyfriend works in a company, making rubber parts and I can definetly say, that the smell is not really similar to this. The true smell of rubber is way more harsh and strong, similar to a coal mine.

Still, I'm not really in love with this perfume. It actually reminds me on a very sweet smelling car polish, on a very artificial vanilla scented kid shampoo, or even like playdooh. Also it's way too sweet that I could apreciate it and I'm sure that I would wear it once and than forget about it.

In the drydown Black is less powdery and more oily. It has now a scent like a lipstick from the 80's, which is funny :) But I'm still not convinced.

About the similarities with Midnight in Paris, I don't see really a very strong connection, but when picking out one, I would definetly chose Midnight in Paris, because it's way more refined.

kaysee
kaysee

Ah, my first love!! BB is unique, sexy and elegant. I remember a bf saying it smels like burnt rubber, but I really don't get it? maybe i'm missing a gene and can't smell that lol
But to me it's more like powder, leather, sex, cigarettes, leather, powder, baby wipes, amber, leather.

u know what I mean? :P

Broseph
Broseph

One day Broseph has money love time with pretty women, wife come home, bad time, big fight. Broseph have vanilla cupcake, cup of tea drink thrown at him by wife! Ah! Get in car, fast away from house and angry wife, rubber burn tire-smell.
When get out of car Broseph smell like Bvlgari Black.

lilinah
lilinah

I tested and tested this, and finally i bought a bottle. First let me say, i have very small hands, so spraying this is a bit of a challenge. Now, on to the juice.

I am excited by Black's leather and rubber scent. Unfortunately on me it dries down to a tame light powdery scent. And i don't like light powdery scents; they are too safe. I wanted it to stay dangerous and odd. I know i have to keep wearing it - scents smell different on me at different times. Still, I may have to blend this with Terre d'Hermes to give it more body.

sultaria
sultaria

I just recently blind bought this because I was interested in trying it and found it for a good deal at Ross. I am a female and liked the descriptions people were posting of it as having a "new car smell". I personally think that this perfume is a perfect unisex fragrance. There is nothing overly masculine about it, and it is not a sweet flowery feminine scent either. It is rather androgynous. It is a soft scent, unlike a lot of male colognes which are strong and prominent. I do not get a burnt rubber note from this. It does smell a bit like a new tire, but the rubber is not as strong to me as the vanilla and tea notes I get from this fragrance. Being a lover of both tea and vanilla scents, I like this fragrance a lot and will be using much of it. It is very inoffensive and fresh. The vanilla is not a sweet candy vanilla but a subdued greenish natural one. This would smell great on a man, as I absolutely hate some strong citrusy/minty colognes men wear and this is a huge relief from that genre.

sussex2

Confession: I have to admit that I sold my first bottle of BB a while back to fund other purchases. Now though, after moseying a fair way down the old perfumed trail, I have decided to bring BB back into the stable.

Every so often she would pop into my mind until recently, finally overcome by nostalgia, I dug out the small decant I had kept before selling my previous bottle. Its such a great smell. As good as I had remembered even with my - very dark - rose tinted spectacles.

I have tried many other fragrances since I said farewell to BB on that dark and fateful night but it still stands out as one of the best. It can be bought for such a cheap price and is better, in my opinion, than most fragrances costing four times as much.

Of course its not for everyone. It is a very smoky, leathery tea bordering on rubber. But if you are into that type of thing its amazing. I won't forsake you again my black beauty.

Unisexscentedlady
Unisexscentedlady

I am very into unisex perfumes, or rather those that have been marketed for men but can be easily used by women. This has been the best find ever! Been using it for over 3 years now and I always get compliments, both from men and women alike. If anyone has a bottle of it lying around that you don't want, I'll gladly swap :) or buy!

Jola 72
Jola 72

...after 20 min I can smell same dry down like Paul Smith Woman,just it. Very similar ,indeed.Can not understand how ,but it is truth. PS radiates more green /pear leafs/,Black it is not that intensive spicy or green.More layer perfume for me,good anyway .Have not tested on my hb yet,but think he gonna like it too...PS Women is unisex in my opinion,with better longivity and more interesting for me,rose is more prominent with woody spicy trail...

MarillaV
MarillaV

What an intriguing fragrance! I bought it for my husband and it smells delicious on him, leather and vanilla and a trail of smokey tea. The rubber smell is there, but it is never too much, it plays a supporting role. The rubber is something that gives the fragrance a little twist of something different. I really enjoy smelling it on him.

I also have given it a go and on me it turns pretty sweet, but the rubber note is still there, alongside the leather. When I close my eyes, it reminds me of walking into a posh new car dealership, the new car smell wafting about alongside the donuts and coffee. I enjoy wearing it with ultra-girly outfits, it is kind of a fun contrast to play with.

I recommend this fragrance for those who are looking for something a little different. I do think you probably need to be okay with sweeter scents because the dry down does veer into vanilla territory.

fiercepage
fiercepage

I will have a bottle of this tomorrow. Very excited though!

42gr

Layers well with Dipttyque Oyedo.
Its the Black and Orange scent show

maio2012

Very strange. Most of the time I think I don´t like such tire repair shop smell, but sometimes I have to use it exactly because I like the rubber. Vanilla, black tea, sandalwood, ceddar,and pepper are coadjuvants, and the final result, although not beutiful, is intriguing and totally original.

42gr

Smells like a deeper less sweet version of Opium Pour Homme YSL plus Burnt Rubber when I do a side by side comparison.

The burnt rubber is certainly original and a great idea if but a little nauseating. The novelty eventually wears thin.

The combination of sweet plus rubber IS intriguing
But can only take it in smallish doses.

If the rubber notes were turned down just a fraction -
this would be a killer.

Right now it's a teenager with a V8 and the need to burn rubber.

Love it, Hate it, Love it. More love than hate.

tuky
tuky

''Once upon a time...in the beginnings Emperor Lapsang Souchong black tea, came to grab the power, but he's kingdom did't last because Empres Santalwood said: I would like to marry and have a child as strog as you ...and they fuse together and lived happy several minutes....because King Vanilla has come with full force and wanted to violate their control, but Queen Rose said: "hey, sweety, would you like to lead the kingdom together?"...and they lived many hours in peace...because Lord Leather was here with his legion: Musk, Cedre and Jasmine...but Lady Amber suggested:"do you like to melt on your skin?". And so all three strong and their softnes lived together in peaceful in Rubber monarchy. ''
And such a BLACK war is on my skin.
So unclassifiable, but grandiose and unexpected parfume we have!

xjulietdx
xjulietdx

I want my car to smell like this; like the luxury interior of a brand-new Bugatti with all kind of gadgets and stuff like that. (Unfortunately my car is a crappy old one but this perfume just evokes the feeling, haha! ) I don't think I would wear it myself.. IMO there's a sharp rubber note which really bothers me.

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

This is my kryptonite: whenever I smell it, I get nauseous, restless and anxious, and that feeling won't quit until I get away from the source.
I know it's chemistry, but OMG I hate this one.
Yet, I have to recognize that it has quite a following, so it is clearly a composition to respect but it is one that brings my stomach to my throat every time.
I think it's the rubber note.

melwhit78

I have a 2.5oz bottle of this, that is at least 95% full, if anyone's willing to trade. I loved it, but bought it when I was pregnant & now I just can't stomach it. :p

Susan_b
Susan_b

This is the scent that started my love affair with perfume. I was only in high school at the time. I remember being enchanted with the leather, rubber and vanilla scent. I was amazed that rubber could smell so nice. I loved it. It is one of the true unisex fragrances.

aliora
aliora

My first impression was that it smelled like the interior of a luxury car, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If you've ever had lapsong suchong tea, you'll definitely identify it in Black. If you haven't, you'll probably only be able to smell it as "rubber" so to speak. But in retrospect, this ambiguity on rubber/tea is purposefully done and tastefully as well. There's a bit of vanilla in it, and while a woman can pull it off, I can more easily picture a man wearing this. Black doesn't have much sillage or longevity on me, but then again, few things do on my skin. Even though it's been around for a while, I find it unique and different all around.

Cassiano
Cassiano

This cologne is known for having a "rubber smell" that, frankly, I don't agree. But since cologne is something that is directly connected to the skin of who wears it, as well as their food, weather, hydration, type, etc. is mandatory to respect other opinions. Specially because there are many people who confirm this information.

Labeled as unissex, its success is greater among the male audience (thankfully), as its strong and dense notes combine better with men than with women. Opens with green tea, bergamot and roses, going to a smoky jasmine, which is balanced with cedar and sandalwood. The absolute power of the fragrance is resulting from the notes of leather and oakmoss, at the base, plus musk, amber and vanilla, bringing a nuance slightly sweetened, that tries to harmonize the rasping tone of leather.

The result is a strong aroma, which dances between the oriental-woody-sweet levels and lasts for many hours. Very good scent for colder days. Its bottle is singular, wrapped in a thick layer of black rubber and has no lid. There is a built-in latch that releases the scent when turned to the right point.

maio2012

Rubber, vanilla, sandalwood. Very uncommon, very strange. Very good.

lyolya
lyolya

I've had this scent for a long time. It's been a difficult relationship. At times it seemed almost nauseating (and then I was glad the longevity isn't great), other times I enjoyed catching a wiff of it on myself. Must be the chemistry thingy. Vanilla is always a pleasure to have, but the masculine side of this scent had me confused. However, slowly but surely it is growing on me.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

DIRTY PENCILS

I liked the opening. Pulled me in. I was intrigued. Evocative.
The blend of the leather and vanilla (and other notes) smelled layered and rich.

After about 15 minutes I asked a friend to smell my wrist. "Dirty Pencils".
And he added "I like it".

Unfortunately, the dry down becomes too sweet - too powdery.
'Where have all the (dirty) pencils gone - long time passing...."

IsaIsabella

Why have I lived without this for so long?
This was introduced to me by a friend who adores it.

Bvlgari Black is an intriguing leather smell. It opens up smelling like the interiors of a luxury car - new, high quality leather. It captures the leather scent so well that even the sourness of the leather can be smelt at times.

This scent has a suede texture to it with a smattering of powdery vanilla in the background that softens the scent a little. Not too "manly" nor "feminine" - the perfect unisex.

The leather note lasts a long time on me, only getting mildly softened by the powdery vanilla that grows in sweetness as the hours go on. It actually screams "I'm into BDSM" to me - sexy leather, in other words.

It's been discontinued due to the presence of birch tar.
Sad.

Silage: Moderate for first 3 hours, soft sillage up to 12 hours.

Aeris
Aeris

My oh my, I am in love with this.
I originally gave it a try based on a thread here that asked what perfume certain fictional characters would wear. Someone said Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy 7 would wear this. I blind bought a mini bottle online (it was impossible to find in stores).
I was a little scared waiting for it since many people seem to compare this to the emall of a burnt car tire lol.
But I fell IN LOVE with this right away. It made it to my top 5. It's definitely one of a kind.
I mainly detect leather. Not in the burnt tire kind of way, but in the sexy BDSM leather outfit kind of way ;)
This is definitely a good perfume for the strong, indepent, sultry bad girl type(or guy, it's unisex). But it's OK if you're not because the sillage stays relatively close to the skin and it's not an offensive smell. I haven't recieved any complaints, even from those in my life who are blunt when they dislike a scent I'm wearing.
Looking at the notes, I really would not have guessed any of them besides the leather.
All in all, this is an amazing piece of art and a statement scent that you will remember.

Robmeister32

This is just simply one of the best fragrances I ever owned.

Ditta70
Ditta70

I can't help thinking that - although they don't smell similar in any way - Black is a 21st century relative of the Habanita (even if I know that strictly speaking Black was created in the 20th century). Smoke, leather, vanilla, woods, darkness, softness and all that jazz. Both embody urban life in their own time in a unique, abstract way, both are perfumes that show the "Zeitgeist" of their era and of course both are masterpieces. I personally love them both.

Speaking of Black...I adore the Lapsang Souchong opening, to me it is not just any odd smoke, it is the smokiness of my favourite autumn-time cuppa. The rubber, which I also enjoy is not very long lived on me, and the vanilla is gorgeous! Yep, it is a bit masculine, but not overwhelmingly, it still lets the woman, who wears it shine and be dead sexy.

What I really, really admire about this scent is that when I already think that it is gone and left me for good, when I cannot detect any more of it on the inside of my wrist, in an unexpected moment it suddenly appears and greets me with a wide grin on the face. So wicked!

An absolute 10/10 in every possible respect.

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

I'm afraid I agree with "old nose". I bought this blind expecting the gritty glamour of a midnight city, something a little edgy and mysterious. Instead I'm transported to the waiting room of Big O Tires. In front of me in line an elderly woman holding a freshly shampooed Shih Tzu as she struggles to understand the difference between HP all season tires and ultra HP all season tires. The television permanently turned to ESPN...welcome to my nightmare.

Animato
Animato

What do you mean "burnt rubber"? I smell a lot of vanilla, wood and tea! No rubber. Tea and wood and maybe leather. and as I said, a lot of vanilla.
Let it chill on your skin for a bit and you'll see it too. It's a warm, cozy and soft fragrance IMHO...

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

Hot, wet tar. Smoke curling up through grates upon a night-time city street. Gotham. New York. Paris. Amsterdam... It's electric, kinky, it's thunderstorms, it's leather, it's sex, and adiposean - engine oil and masculinity.

oldnose
oldnose

Okay, maybe I am a little old and not "with it," but why the hell would anyone male or female want to smell like burnt rubber? Unique, yes, but I will stick to flowers, fruits and nuts!

dad hash
dad hash

I am not a big fan of sweet frags but this one is really Nice, i mean nicer then i thought so i love it and wear it often specially casual evening meetings..Sweet , rubbery and warm, nice combo..
Projection is not the best and;longevity is moderate.
still it is a neat one and different...

Robmeister32

Just purely A M A Z I N G !!!

My Rating: 10/10

MissTuxedo
MissTuxedo

I love a leather note in a fragrance but this was not leather on my skin. More like vinyl. The notes listed are all me. Based on that and a lot of rave reviews, i bought blind. Oops. I found this to be very masculine. Very. Ladies, try before you buy. I gave mine away to a male friend.

peekaboow
peekaboow

I own this perfume in miniature size. I always promise myself to buy a FB of this, but year after year I tend to push this one to the bottom of my wishlist.
I like this perfume a lot.
I get the gentle sweetness, rubber, plastic, leather, smoke and I like them all.. It longevity is great, lasts the whole night on me. Sillage is moderate but I like it that way.
But time to time I get whiffs of scent as if I just get off of a motorcycle after a long ride.. Smell of asphalt and iron. And I feel dirty (literally).
I guess its the reason I keep pushing this scent to the bottom of my wishlist.
Well, I am going to get a FB one day. soon, I hope

Goktug
Goktug

10 mins ago I received my order and first sniff..just perfect ! Love it-

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

Literally smells like burnt vanilla scented rubber. Weird at first and the first three times I wore it when driving was convinced my car was igniting somewhere. Have to say I love it completely. I like to wear it when wearing über feminine attire for the contrast you understand?

Youssef_Maggi
Youssef_Maggi

easy to wear, unique perfume, i enjoy it every time i put this on, very comforting in a relaxing way.

neonvalkyrie
neonvalkyrie

This one betrayed me! I loved the smokey Lapsang tea and rubber start, but oh too soon it all just disappeared in a vanilla whisper and was gone before I knew it!

burgundyaltima

I LOVE THIS STUFF!..very sexy..subtle..reminds me of the dry down to givenchy play intense!

amirabbas
amirabbas

First I hated it now I like it!

The most important thing about this fragrances is that it's unique. It starts with green tea + leather which makes a burning rubber note but this smell is not annoying. The first hours is more masculine and a little overwhelming for some people but after around one hour the rubber note will be weaken and vanilla scent will join the mixture.

This vanilla, leather, green tea scent is very lovely. I really like it. the Dry-down is more vanilla and a little powdery to my nose. I think in the dry-down it leans toward femininity.

Projection of this perfume is moderate in the first hour and after that it goes soft and close to skin which I think is good for this type of perfume.
Longevity is very good and I can smell it on my skin after 14 hours.

I think it is not compliment-getter fragrance but it's beautiful.

By the way if you like smell different, give it a try ;)

اول که اینو نست کردم ازش بدم اومد ولی الان دوستش دارم !

مهمترین چیزی که درباره ی این عطر میشه گفت خاص بودنشه. اولش با بوی چای سبز شروع میشه که بوی چرم هم همراهیش میکنه و بویی شبیه به لاستیک سوخته ایجاد میکنه. البته بوی شیمیایی لاستیک رو نمیده که سردردآوره بلکه بوی خیلی ملایم و جالبی داره. ساعت اول بوی مردونه ای داره و ممکنه به خاطر همین بوی لاستیک مانند برای بعضی ها آزار دهنده باشه ولی بعد از اون بوی لاستیک ضعیف تر میشه و بوی وانیل هم به این ترکیب اضافه میشه.

مخلوط بوی وانیل، چرم و چای سبز یه بوی خیلی دوست داشتنی رو ایجاد میکنه. من که خیلی خوشم اومد. اواخر بو هم بیشتر گرایش به سمت عطرهای زنونه داره و بوی وانیل توی اون قوی تر میشه.

تو ساعت اول پخش بوی متوسطی داره و بعد از ساعت اول پخش بوش ضعیف تر و نزدیک به پوست میشه که برای این سبک بوها به نظرم خوب هست.

ماندگاریش هم حرف نداره و روی پوست من تا 14 ساعت بعد از اعمال اون هنوز هم می تونم بوی وانیل و بوی ضعیف چرم رو روی پوستم حس کنم.

فکر نکنم از اون دسته عطرهایی باشه که بعد از استفاده توقع تعریف و تمجید اطرافیانتون باشید ولی در کل بوی خیلی قشنگی داره.

به هر حال اگر دنبال بوی خاص و متفاوت می گردید تستش کنید. خوبه ;)

601red
601red

Very, very masculine. Very, very bad-ass.

To balance out the sweet vanilla, Bvlgari added a scent that's pretty much associated with "men-type only". And that's your blue-collar, work outside, hot rubber scent... or you could call it your hot city street scent...or hey, wait a minute, this kinda smells like my condoms...

It's weird in concept. But it smells like its for someone who kicks ass. The alpha type. Not for the submissive or the timid.

Will go great if you're the quiet, confident type.

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

An amazing opening, but Can't stand the dry down!!! CLOYING vanilla. Not for me. This is about a recent formula. Not my cup of tea.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

Overall rating: * * * * * (masterpiece)

Bvlgari Black is New York (or any other global metropolis, really) in a bottle. Hot pavement, steam rising from the subway, ambient sweet food smells, and...noise. Yes, a fragrance can have a sound, and the sound of Bvlgari Black is the din of the city at lunchtime.

It took me a couple of wearings to fall in love with Bvlgari; my first reaction was negative: "Hot Rubber? In a fragrance? Is this some kind of joke?" The sensation was not unlike listening to Achtung Baby for the first time many years ago. I thought my stereo was broken! At any rate, BIack has become one of my top 10 fragrances of all time. Totally energizing, stimulating, sexy--a scent that, like a big city, is all about possibilities and self-transformation/self-invention.

A brief word about the nose behind Black, Annick Menardo. This fragrance is the crowing achievement of her remarkable career. It has her signature drydown (familiar to wearers of Jaipur) of spiced vanilla and musk. I can only imagine how magnificent this must have been back before IFRA began treating oakmoss as a schedule 1 controlled substance.

If you love your nose and believe that anything is possible in life, you need to try Bvlgari Black. It is a masterpiece.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

I was so excited to finally try this. But excitement quickly gave way to disappointment. Maybe I need to spend more time with it but I found it to be a very sweet, beautiful vanilla fragrance with a weird, discordant rubber note. It was like there were two separate sides of the perfume. If they somehow came together the rubber part might somehow temper the sweetness of the vanilla. Sadly that didnn't happen and the affect was just weird.

Budman
Budman

I am inexplicably drawn to this one. I completely get the rubber/tire top but don't let it fool you. It would be too easy to just dismiss in the initial sniff but trust the creative minds behind this. Patience and an open mind is rewarded slowly with each successive sniff for next few hours as it transforms into a warm and cozy buttery vanilla and leather.

I feel uplifted and confident when I wear this. It is such a break from the mass popular aquatics/"sport" as well as most mainstream fragrances.

I did wear this in a crowded movie once where strange female next to me decided to move over a few seats quarter through. Could be she couldn't take this scent any longer or she just finally made her move for some space. Regardless, I really don't see this as a clubbing scent to attract females. Also don't think I'd wear this to work. Too bold for either.

aquila_2009
aquila_2009

Hi.

BLACK is one of those unforgettable fragrance that both men and women love it.It is a true classic that has a uncompromising level of spicy sexiness never seen by BVLGARI before and after it is release.It is unisex with but a prominent hint of masculine. Leathery, Warm,Animalistic, Sophisticated,Sweet, Fascinating, Passionate and Classy.

The opening is classic floral with a citrusy note by bergamot and also tea while cedar and sandalwood sensually intertwine with jasmine in the heart. luxurious musk,sensual vanilla and especially leather complement this sexy scent.it makes an air of sensual and if the opening is nice the dry down is really great for me.

BLACK BVLGARI is a mature scent that for someone who wants to smell sophisticated animalistic not a faint-hearted character.It is suitable for a Night out on the town.definitely for Cold weather. In conclusion if you have never tried this one,you don't know what you're missing.It is great no doubt about it.test it first.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?Pretty Good on my skin.

7.5/10

Mistress Eva
Mistress Eva

Wow. Talk about mixed emotions. I'm a huge fan of Bvlgari, and have several of their frags. I also like leathery scents. However, upon first inhalation I was shocked by the initial punch in the face of burnt rubber. It seemed so, SO weird in a perfume. In fact, I was certain that I didn't like it. But I gave it to my husband to try, and boy has my opinion changed!
What started out as a flaming tire store, turned into an unbelievably sexy, "industrial" musk that I truly can't get enough of. I'm floored by its dark, urban sensuality. So good. So unique. I don't wear it much because I only have a 1.3 oz bottle, and I love the scent on my husband so much.
Bottom line: Don't let the initial shock of the fragrance completely turn you off. It is amazing.

kambelz
kambelz

Amazing. Whoever created it is a genius. Vanilla, rubber and tea work so well together for some reason. Definitely one of my all time favorites. This would smell amazing on a woman as well, although in my opinion is a little more on the masculine side.

citypark
citypark

In the Bulgari line-up are quite some tea scents, one of them is BLACK, evoking the smell of Lapsang Souchong, a Chinese black tea dried over pine wood smoke, a note which is very dominant in this perfume.

This smoky note, also identified as rubber or tire, stays on strong for a long while until the vanilla note shows in the dry down and and adds a slight sweetness and powdery touch. I do not get any floral notes.

It is very suitable for the monsoon period as it does not fade so easily as other perfumes, but I wonder if the humidity (around 60%) amplifies the smoked tea note.

yacoco
yacoco

hate ==> like ==> love
unique scent i loe it
am not sure what people think about me
maybe they say he work in gas station or tire shop
anyway i dont care i
love it

zucchera
zucchera

Love this one, even if it disappears so quickly on me. To bad its not an EdP. I love it more on me than on men.

lovetribe
lovetribe

rubber burn!!!!!
bleah!!!!i hate this!!!!
soft balmy,but the rubber is terrible.

tpwcrl
tpwcrl

ı think ı will never get tired of this smell. this is my 5th bottle and I will definitely buy another one. I m a woman an a get compliments every time I wear it.

Opium80
Opium80

My go to casual scent, I love this stuff.
I own Both this and 'Midnight in Paris' and after a year of wearing both, I'll buy 'Black' again and not MiP. MiP is good, very similar, but Black is more masculine a bit more rugged, I always ended up thinking: i'd prefer to smell a girl wearing MiP.

Do I get burnt rubber... not really, if i really sniff and concentrate, a little, I do get a lot of rubber but the vanilla note calms it all, and makes it more a KINKY (sex) rubber smell than burnt.

This is my throw on a leather jacket and jeans scent. You can easily wear it at day or night to the drive-in or anywhere laid back. Lasts a whilel on me and has good silage 6-8 hours.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

This fragrance is pure leather and asphalt. It conjures up the unforbidding and winding roads of a city life which dictates: the early bird catches the worm - eat, or be eaten. Despite this it reminds, with the vanilla and amber, of saltry jazz clubs; the sweet and primal warmth of the saxophone, the intensity of the drum solo, the soothing solo of the piano;

Am wearing this now and have returned from such an afternoon of jazz and loved wearing it!
An extremely unconventional fragrance, though I love it. Though perhaps it should be worn by someone who knows who they are!

SNOOPY
SNOOPY

Smells like a vanilla flavored tire.The opening is the same as standing in a tire shop.Mostly rubber ,but somehow appealing.

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

Leathery, ambery, rubbery along with vanilla scent. When it comes to this, I have no idea how to describe the scent, all I know is that, this smells gorgeous! Every note is controlled and goes along together, neither one is overpowering nor dominating let it be the leather, vanilla or the amber. I do agree with many saying that this has a little 'smokey' vibe to it. That gives this scent a little edge, a little 'ummph' all and all, this is quite seductive yet inoffensive.

This is one of the best unisex fragrances ever made! Kudos to Annick Menardo! Enough said!

_____________________________

I have the current version, the stopper is no longer the 'on off' one, whereby you have to twist it then you can use the sprayer. Mine is, the magnetic cap, not that as strong as 212 or Chanel Blueu but hey, it's nice. (I would buy another bottle of this, I really would!)

kazewayz
kazewayz

Smoky, rubbery, leathery, sweet. It's great for winter. Nice for a romantic date. Longevity is good, projection is good as well. Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and this are very similar. Try it.

Niven
Niven

This is the best fragrance for the interior of a luxury car. Plastic, leather, new car smell. But I don't think I want to smell like the interior of a luxury car. I only got it to make my car smell better.

Caist
Caist

Edgey and Smokey , "Who IS that guy?", Chooses it's Owner

Waiting to get your tires rotated? A face plant into a motorcycle seat? OR a smokey and VERY masculine fragrance for men's fragrance fans who like unique scents. DO NOT judge this scent off skin, try it on. I HATED it at first but once I put it on I totally got a drift-wood feel from it (lake driftwood, upper penn, huron MI) And I was surprised at the compliments I got, and I was glad people were even smelling it on me. This is a secret weapon if you can pull it off..

hornetz
hornetz

For some reason this fragrance reminds me of a F-1 race track. The rubber synthetic note is prominent, but not at all offensive its mysterious and and the tea accords give it a nice touch, very unique. This is one of those fragrances that you can wear all day long into late in the evening. Women seem to like it because of the vanilla touch. It truly evokes a "you are in the modern jungle" theme. Perfect for black tie events..

hopscotch-bunny
hopscotch-bunny

That rubbery smell at the opening is not burnt rubber, these are birch and styrax. This is gorgeous multidimensional perfume. My only wish it lasts longer than 4 hours.

Runbox
Runbox

Quite sharp rubber and vanilla opening - definitely a touch of fresh tires. After a while it gets more mellow, with the rubber note turning into something more like black tea. The vanilla sticks around. Yeah, and light musk. Pleasant.

I blind bought this last fall, and I still haven't quite figured it out. I rarely want to smell like Black... I did wear it on a few nights out during the winter though. I think that's the setting for this fragrance - A night out. I usually just reach for good old Rive Gauche PH, though.

While Bvlgari Black truly is a unisex scent, I honestly think it would work best on the skin of a sexy, dark haired woman with lustrous eyes, a beer in her hand and a daring attitude.

Edit: oh... the longevity on this is not great. After a couple of hours it's very close to the skin.

lauraapadron
lauraapadron

Opening is rubber tire + vanilla, it's very unique and quite sharp. After an hour the dry down comes out and it gets veryyyy balmy, and smooth. you smell a sexy combination of leather+vanilla. sooo delicious.
I thought the sillage was quite impressive, and so was the lasting power (especially for a cologne).
Im a woman and i think this is great for both sexes; it's not gender oriented, but bad-ass oriented.
Definitely recommend buying this online since it's half the price (and 100% authentic)

courant
courant

The man doesn't like it on me. That's a statement of fact, not anything to be swayed by. Is this the ultimate Terminator perfume? Is there an inner Sarah Connor to me? Nah.. don't think so. But, there it is, the machine and the human, all rolled into one. Bvlgari Black, the Terminator, Total Recall. Heinlein, Pournelle, McCaffery, Le Quin, Feist, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis. I get the vibe.
There will be days like these. I will wear Bvlgari Black.

Math You
Math You

Let me start by saying I really, really like this fragrance and it's a keeper for me.

For those reading this: I wouldn't recommend buying into all of the featured notes/accords by Bvlgari, nor the ones listed by other reviewers. I get none of the tar, rubber, or tires with this frag. I get no citrus or rose in the opening either. I think its very easy for people to "try" to find certain things in a frag... but I digress. What I do get is a gorgeous, balmy, amber infused vanillin that slowly dries down with a hint of sandalwood, smokey black tea, more sweet vanilla/amber combo, and a touch of new leather coat. It's a fantastic scent and it is easily unisex. It reminds of L'artisan's Tea For Two and is quite similar to Van Cleef & Arpel's Midnight in Paris as others have pointed out.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

the smell is amazing...i love it so much...i am man and i love it....got to stock up too..there are rumors since 2 - 3 years ago of discontinuation..usually in most cases remarkable fragrances is the one that is always discontinued or reformulate...

hontapocasgreen
hontapocasgreen

I have to agree with a previous reviewer that this fragrance worked better with a man's chemistry. It smelled all leathery, ambery, vanilla notes with woods on my husband. Just divine! On me, I got the burnt rubber and vanilla. Not a good thing on me. Perhaps I'll sample the L'Artisan Dzing and hopefully it won't be a disaster on me.

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

The rubber note is definitely there on my skin. About an hour in, it's more leathery and smokey, with a sweet, dark, powdery background. Black has moderate silage at first, and once dried down it remains as more of a skin scent for several hours. I really like the dry-down on this, but I'm not sure that I'm comfortable wearing it in public yet. Nonetheless, I picked up a bottle and intend to indulge this as a 'guilty' pleasure for a while. Once I get used to it, I may wear it out. Or, I may see if my boyfriend likes it. I imagine smelling this on him would be equally pleasurable. In any case, a very unique fragrance, and a win for Bvlgari. Well done.

Filomena
Filomena

Rubber and vanilla.

kabelaced
kabelaced

I loved this! I didn't really get leather with this perfume, and the dry down was a bit powdery, but whatever else is in this (a "dark" scent of some kind) dampened the powder into a sweeter-than-skin musk. Great for women, too!

troy
troy

LOVE LOVE LOVE

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

I don't mind a leather note in fragrance, but in this one, it was just overpowering. It smelled like new tires. Didn't work out on my skin by itself, because it went straight to leather and didn't quit. Second wearing was layered with Kenzo Flower, and that worked beautifully.

sajini
sajini

My SO thinks this smells like a dentist's office, and in the drydown it smells "rustic" like old metal car parts. I couldn't really smell it when I first sprayed it on, but it seems to be emerging the longer it is on. The drydown is definitely a comfort smell, a little licoricey, vanilla and bready on my skin.

mastersofstyle
mastersofstyle

One of those you could see yourself wearing in another 10 years. MiP will do if you can't find it. Adding Yohji to similar fragrances.

EnchantedForestLover
EnchantedForestLover

UGH! AMAZING! everyone should love this and if they don't they should not be allowed to smell. the rubbery sweetness it evokes is unlike any other frag on the market today. it is subtle, yes, but it is a frag that wraps u in a very comforting scent cloud. one of those fragrances that no matter what time of day or what mood you are in you can put on and be happy. love it

jessbug
jessbug

This is interesting, to say the least!

I might be crazy, but to me it smells like Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin without the anise note...and something that reminds me of a carwash? I think it's the 'rubbery' note and something that smells citrussy. I like it though!

UPDATE: Wearing it again today, it smells somewhat different. That carwash scent isn't there this time, because I smell nothing even remotely citrussy. It's also slightly more masculine smelling today. I'm really starting to love this perfume, because it smells like something that should be unacceptable, but instead is just lovely and gorgeous and awesome.

It stays pretty close to the skin on me, which is how I usually prefer my perfumes. Unfortunately longevity isn't great, 3-4 hours tops. Still, I'm very happy to have this in my collection :)

4.3/5

jamdavmiller
jamdavmiller

Tourniquet latex is the dominate note. Althought, that said, this is obviously a very advanced fragrance, which required an artist to create it. I can see why this enamors so many. It is very unique.

spoombung
spoombung

One of the most perfectly blended perfumes I've come across; satisfying from beginning to end with real depth and width to it, perfect balance of ingredients, comforting and startling at the same time, perfectly unisex and timeless.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Since there's nothing new to say about this masterpiece, I decided just to pay an homage.

I got my first bottle of this elixir from my mother, she bought it and hate it! but for me it was love at first sniff, that glorious dark sweetness, the rubbery leather note and the ambery dry down. That was so intriguing to me, I had never smelled a fragrance like that before! And it became my signature to go out at night. I was a bit shy to rock it because I was a kid and didn't know there was such thing as a unisex fragrance but I wore it anyway regardless of what people might think. Lucky me!

I still have this old bottle (whit the on and off turning cap) the juice became thick and dark just like an extrait and I wear it some times at night to feel cozy and remember of old times...

5 out of 5

sussex2

A recent purchase. I have wanted this one for a time and it is as good as I had hoped.

A blast of rubber and smoke. I love it but wouldn't want to smell that way for too long.

Fortunately a drydown places the smokey rubber at a level that can still be enjoyed without overwhelming. Smooth vanilla and amber rise up to take their place alongside this ostensibly uncooth pair.

Once the ensemble have shuffled into place they remain until the end. At times an isolated smokey note will ring out. Soon replaced by thick rubber or perhaps a breath of sweet amber. The melody plays on.

Black is also very wearable. Would feel comfortable in a professional environment or casual. Following the initial hit medium to low sillage but long lasting which I have discovered is usually the best way.

woodlandwalk

I posted on this perfume back in 2009, I've been wearing it off and on since 2002 so you could say it's a signature perfume, or one of them. I love its vanilla/smoky salty dry-down, and its particular musk (not a sweaty one, more the light cat-fur variety) that gives it a subtle presence

Reading through the reviews I'm always astonished at the strong reactions to Black - I can think of many, many mainstream perfumes designed for women, that are far more powerful, or more 'aftershave-like' than Black. Is it the marketing hype that people respond to? I don't get car or leather from this, there are certainly stronger leather perfumes out there.

I do get Lapsang Souchong (smoky) though, which I love tea-wise and perfume-wise

At least two people (one a perfume expert) have mentioned a resemblance to Shalimar (which I also love) and I can see what they mean in a sense. Shalimar is a far more gourmand spicy vanilla, but there's a juxtaposition of notes that creates a similar effect (I've tried them on at the same time)

It's all subjective of course, but this perfume on me has received more compliments than most others (family, boyfriends, friends) and it's also divine layered with a little rose otto!

ronnie1975
ronnie1975

i think this a more masculine than femine.
i really like it, close to loving it though.
by far the best bvlgari scent.
that rubber feel start from the beginning, prominent leather note is really nice. than about one hour the vanille takes over, rubber /vanille combo works well here, just wonderfull.
longevity and projection are very good.
i see people compare this to MIP, this is far more unique and better (my opinion )
this is a must have.
MIP is a have to try

ini_r4tih
ini_r4tih

When smelling of this perfume I imagine a nice guy, a family man, a man who doesn’t like any challenge because his life just settled already, a man who has a life which going so smoothly. When he just showered with a white soap then powdered his body with johnson’s baby powder and sandalwood and a little musk and cashmere wrapped.

This perfume is very synthetic, but it’s good for a daily use, for office wear because it’s a light perfume.

Greg1965
Greg1965

Finally I gort a bottle and I must say, I like it very much. From the first moment untill the last. I also like the fact that it is subtle, not too overwelming. Glad I bought it.

August 2013: In regards to the above post I must admit that after using it more often, in general I like the smell but I realy got bored with the rubber part. It started to annoy me more and more. So I gave it to a friend of mine and he is pleased with it.

hedward
hedward

I would even dare to say that Black has the best opening of everything that I've tried this far. Yeah I do agree: this is very synthetic but thats the kicker here! The scent definitely reminds me of something artificial that got mass produced such as tires or new sneakers and that is why I find it so appealing. Everyone loves to unbox a new phone or a pair of sneakers because they always have this smell of something brand new (in addition to the item itself lol). Black has this exact feeling to it. To me this is much more than a smell: it is a sensation felt deep within.

I have always lived in a big city and therefore been continuously exposed to car fumes, marketing, big buildings, unorganic materials... you name it: anything that's artificial. Yes, there are perfumes such as Eau des Baux by L'occitane or L'eau d'Issey Miyake which appeal to me because of their natural and pure smell but they also trigger an emotional sensation too. But that is because all these perfumes share a same thing: they remind me of something that I can put my finger on. Issey brings me to a japanese garden and Eau des Baux make me picture of my grandmas freshly baked cinnamon rolls. Black in turn reminds me of all the artifical joys of life: plastic toys, computers, cars, amusement parks etc. In fact, it does in a way smell like my hometown.

Normally I would try to separate and identify the notes one by one but in this case I don't want to do it. To me it's just black, no rubber, no tea, no vanilla.

*edit*

After smelling and drinking some Lapsang Tea I realised how horrible it smells. It totally ruined this for me - I no longer smell the rubber... All I get is a cloying burnt tea note.

Smell 7/10 x 2
Longevity / Potency 7/10
Versatility 6/10
Complexity 7/10
x2

Overall score 68/100

Museumgal
Museumgal

The leather note has this tar, roadwork sort of quality to it that can be really difficult to get past. It never really turned into a true leather for me, which I was hoping for. The dry down is absolutely amazing though -- once the tar is in the background it somehow adds smoky depth to a wonderful amber/tea/vanilla combination that is truly unique. I just wish it got to the dry down faster! Definitely try before you buy, this is one where skin chemistry is going to make or break this fragrance.

soulflwr
soulflwr

I had been waiting to sniff this one for a while, and I finally got the chance to last night!

My first impression was of coconuts! I think the vanilla ,leather, and bergamont mashup were playing tricks on my nose.

After going off and doing somethings I came back a few hours later to take another test sniff, and what I got was...vaseline. I know a lot of people mention the smell of tires or rubber, but I think if you went and got yourself a jar of petroleum jelly, and mixed in some baby powder, you would have yourself a pretty good dupe!

What makes this perfume smell so much like petrol/rubber is the strong leather note, leading the way with wafts of vanilla and bergamont trailing behind. I don't really smell much more than that.

The leather is strong, the leather is real, the leather is IT in this one....this is a leather fragrance. Not much more I can say.

I don't find this to be a particularly sophisticated leather note either, it's more along the lines of how a scratch and sniff sticker would interpret the smell of leather.

Drydown = The smell of brand new sneakers.

annaariaalex
annaariaalex

Ok, I avoided buying this perfume due to the reviews. I found it today for $29.99 so I said lets give it a try. I am glad I did. The opening is a little different and thank god I did not get that rubbery smell everyone talks about, the middle is smokey floral on me and The Dry Down is Awesome-a smokey ambery vanilla that is still going strong 7 hours later and 1 1/2 hours sweating at the gym. The leather is subtle and not heavy. This may not be for everybody but give it a try ,it is not as dark on me as many have mentioned, it is sultry and warm and more floral than anticipated. This is a night time perfume or I will use it in a business setting to show others who is boss.Give it an hour before you go out because the intro is weird. I am a woman and this perfume is unisex but smells very womanly. Bvlgari Black was a great surprise to me.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

It took me a while to get what Black is all about. yes it is leather, and a strong one. Not for the faint of heart. At first, I was taken aback by the repulsive leather note which reminded me of that smell when you get inside of a brand new car. Then on the second occassion of testing it, i was weirded out because it suddenly smelled like the floor wax we used when i was a kid. Last night, I gave it one last shot, and boy, i had a sudden change of heart. How incredible that one fateful night that i can suddenly distinguish the major notes??! The leather immersed in this whirlpool of vanilla, amber, green tea and sandalwood is sooo sexy. No more of the leather seat covers nor the floorwax image for me, but all i can think right now is Fifty shades of grey! :) im glad i let this one grew on me...

Jun0711
Jun0711

This cologne is very suitable with suit. Many people wearing this cologne when they go to work.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

This is the kind of fragrance that I can only wear in combination with something else. By itself, it smells like a condom on me. Seriously, who wants to smell like a condom?

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy this scent, but only when I layer it with another fragrance. This, in combination with a nice spicy floral, gives a very sexy smoky touch.

I would never leave my door wearing just this by itself, though.

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

it is very wired that i sprayed a lot of it on my skin , bt i can hardly smell it.....

antfarm
antfarm

Smells like a gingerbread man in S&M gear driving one of those mini demolition vehicles. Rubber, vanilla, gingerbread. Definitely unusual, and my kind of scent.

However, although I love this fragrance, it takes on a watered-down quality after an hour, and disappears within two hours. One time I was wearing this and my friend commented that I smelled like a burnt hot dog. Yeah, I stopped wearing it.

yazounet
yazounet

I just love the fragrance. And finally bought a 75ml bottle. I always wanted to buy this perfume as it is an avantgarde one -at least I find so-. I can understand how it might suit to both sexes, yet I still prefer it on a man's skin. It smells rubber not leather. It feels like you went to visit MICHELIN, and smell the rubber all around. The first spray might seem overwhelming, but after a couple of minutes, vanillla and rubber combination is so dominant, you can't smell the tea leaf, which is good.(or maybe it's just me)
Anyhow, if you haven't tested it before you have two options while considering blind buying:
1. If you like to smell differently, might even say inappropriately sometimes and you have some other fragrances which might save you in daily routine, GO FOR IT.
2. If you don't have any other fragrances and this one will be your one and only. Think again and go with some other perfumes.
For me I still haven't tested the sillage, nor longevity. But I think they will be moderately succeeded.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

EGAD, what a hideous opening! Lacquer thinner and rubber. I used to work with solvents at Lockheed and this is what it invoked.

On me it dried down to virtually nothing. There's something left that I have a hard time smelling and it's barely there.

So, no.

Funny bottle. Looks like a hockey puck, or a tire. I suppose the tire reference was intentional.

christine.leake
christine.leake

I have a hard time deciding if I like this fragrance or not. I smell rubber, not leather. Almost like a warehouse smell. Then again, the notes you smell underneath are very nice. I bought this for my bf, and I just get this feeling that he honestly doesn't like it much, although he says he does. I suppose this fragrance really depends on your personal prefrences.

mum84
mum84

لولا ان تتخلله القليل من رائحة المطاط ..لكن يعتبر من العطور الحلوه والمميزه ويصلح رجالي اكثر

rprovenz
rprovenz

Better than sex panther.

HilaryAppleFace
HilaryAppleFace

Smokey, yet sweet vanilla and rubber. Easy to describe and even easier to carry off. The rubber note doesn't sound too appealing, but it is actually very sexy on the skin. I believe this to be the perfect unisex scent. It is the only one that I have smelled that doesn't smell too masculine nor too feminine. It has a strange simplicity that appeals to everyone. I like to think of this fragrance as a rabbit wearing a leather catsuit: sensual and unexpectingly sweet.

stayclose
stayclose

this does not smell like leather, more like rubber or plastic. it has vanilla in it but the tea scent is the strongest smell in this. some say but its not rubber once you know this is a black tea note then you will appreciate it more. well that is true but since the note envelopes the whole fragrance then how much can one take of it in one wear. why is this fragrance is still around while others get cut? that to me is a mystery. don't get me wrong for those bored with testing hundreds of fragrances and need something to reset their nose this would be it. but for all those beginners DO NOT buy a full bottle of this, sure if you want to sample to understand how warped perfumery can be then go ahead. I hope i did not offend anyone but this fragrance is not for those looking for something that smells pleasant unless you like smelling like burnt rice with a vanilla.

DariDahlia
DariDahlia

While working in Fine Fragrances, I tried this on one day. I LOVE Bvlgari fragrances, my favorite is Rose Essential. This one, as a woman, reminded me of a garage. Rubber & WD-40, and I could not get the stink off!! For a man, this would be fine, but I want to smell like a lady. There are too many pretty fragrances to waste my time with this...

Patu
Patu

LOVE LOVE LOVE I mix it with frankincense and myrrh essential oil and I smell divine.

patxaran

PS The first thing that came to my mind when I first sprayed Black on my wrist was.... this is how a really swanky ladies shoe shop should smell like. Real leather, some rubber, some wood and vanilla to keep it a bit sweet. Lovely.

patxaran

Bought this blind based on notes/reviews and not disappointed. There is a lot of rubber when you first spray it on but a few hours later....close your eyes and this is one of the sexiest scents ever for close range combat ;-) I would definitely like this on a man too.

TheLumineri
TheLumineri

Just got this one from my brother in law (because he doesn't use it) and I REALLY DIG IT! Very sexy...very smooth...very unisex...but a VERY great addition to my collection! I also have Midnight in Paris on the way (which this is highly compared to)...I can't wait to recieve it and make my own side to side comparison! All-in-all, this is recommended to try!

Anatolian_Swarthy
Anatolian_Swarthy

weegee..
im falled in love with ur simile comment :) nice sentences
i tried it 2-3 months ago,i cant find special thing in it,and the longevity is bad

weegee
weegee

Made me smell like I'd been tied to a stack of new tires and locked in an old garage for days with a chain-smoking, motor oil and gasoline-soaked mechanic who'd tried --and failed-- to "freshen-up" by dumping on a load of Johnson's baby powder.

Speaking as a confident, feminine woman who loves unusual fragrances, I'm jealous of those of you on whom this apparently smells delightful. Poor me and lucky you.

phyrexianc

I´m loving this more and more. It makes me feel ultra feminine, strong and sexy. Recommended for powerful women!

rlee84
rlee84

I didn't like this at first as it smelled of tires upon the first spray, however after a few minutes it turns into a creamy type rubber that really makes this fragrance enjoyable. This takes confidence to pull of but I have come to love it but DO NOT OVERSPRAY. Also I layer this with Bvlgari Pour Homme and received ALOT of compliments. If you own both of these give it a try and let me know what you think. I personally like it alot.

BroadwayBeauty
BroadwayBeauty

I've really liked the Bvlgari perfumes that I've had in the past, and something about the description of Black really drew me in. I ordered it online, and then I smelled it in Sephora (I found it in the men's section).
I panicked, because it smelled awful! When my bottle arrived in the mail, I avoided smelling it for days because I was afraid I'd purchased something I would eventually regret.

Well, I finally plucked up the courage to open the bottle... Wow! It smells so different from the one I smelled at Sephora. There's strong leather and vanilla, which is great because the vanilla was completely absent from the one I smelled originally. The first several minutes feel very synthetic and chemically (not in a good way), but after that it lightens up and becomes quite unique and complex. I really enjoy this scent. It's definitely one to use on occasions and not every day.

Jay88
Jay88

A blind buy. I am not disappointed. I got what I expected - a very unusual, sophisticated, semi-sweet, rubber - tea -vanilla. It is very dark and gothic.

It does not really smell like a fragrance. It is just so odd! It gets top marks for originality for sure.

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

Agree with stacey. To me, it makes no sense at all to call it a perfume. I remember, once i bought it blindly nd got it return to the shopkeeper, when i sprayed at home. All burnt shoe polish or tyres or whatso ever. Not a peefume at all.

AshyAC
AshyAC

Vow~ what a pity about this!
I bought a 5ml for a try, cos I always love all the tea scents, and want a unisex scent which is suitable for the cold winter.
At the first spray it makes me feel excited because of the truly strong tea scent! A little sharp and masculine, close to what I am looking for.
However after about 1 hour, it dry down on my wrist and left nothing but a terrible mixture of leather and vanilla.
I think the combo make a strange feeling of "new tire", and at the same time, a powdery smell, which makes me feel headache and nausea, actually.
Only the head notes can stay forever!!!

I am feeling very sage for not buying a big bottle.

melwhit78

I can only say "ditto" to most of the reviewers before me...the initial scent is a lot like a rubber tire, but in a good way (if that makes sense). It only gets better from there. The smokey, vanilla drydown is fantastic; I can't stop smelling my shirt & I put it on hours ago. I can see how the initial spray could be off-putting, but you need to give this a chance! VERY unique & unisex. One of my new faves!!

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

I do not understand this as perfume at all. It smells like new tires and like my dad after he had been working on a car engine. It doesn't wash off easily, either: I wished I had my dad's Lava soap. No offense at all to those who love it. It makes no sense to me.

twintert
twintert

I had this but the notes were too feminine for me. I like a traditional masculine smell and this was my first UNISEX fragrance. The Rose notes were too feminine for me.

lisliasm
lisliasm

I hated it the first five or so times I wore it. Then it grew on me A LOT. I think on me it smells more feminine, since I don't get as much of the latex/rubber people are talking about. I think the woody scents, the jasmine, vanilla and leather are more prominent. A friend even said it smelled "womanly" on me.... I think it depends a lot on chemistry.

Tchelo
Tchelo

it resembles burnt rubberbands and has the most terrible chemical smell. tried it on and had to wash it 5 minutes later.
this one is definetly not for me!
P.S. I can´t see this as a women´s perfume at all

gofruityourself
gofruityourself

Top notes,my husband said "it smells like I slept in a halloween mask" Dry down "smells like his grandpas garage" I found his description complex just like the fragrance. I adore this little handheld car tire.

ScentsAreEverything
ScentsAreEverything

It has nothing to do with the smell of Fahrenheit imho, BUT the vibe is 100% same! They could be brothers.

Will you really get that burnt rubber smell? Well, I dunno, but sometimes I do get it - in a good way!

Notes: this juice is vanilla-heavy with a woody backbone. It really has a mature feel, and, while marketed as unisex, it is more masculine (it would be VERY sexy on a gal though). Warm as hell.

It is not a safe blind buy, but it's cheap...30-40 bucks a pop.

Projection: 7/10 (spotty, mostly a close-to-skin scent. could have been better)
Longevity: 8/10 (6-8 hours, ok for me)
Versatility: 8/10 (winter/fall, but it is up to you. it's hard to offend anyone with this juice, you can't overspray it)
Compliments: 6/10 (close encounters scent, don't expect much).
Smell: 10/10 (outstanding quality)

Overall, considering price + above: 9/10

If this juice gets discontinued, I'm buying 10 bottles.

CoolHandLuke87
CoolHandLuke87

Is either your girlfriend or yourself into latex bondage? If that was a yes then this is the cologne for you...

smithjoi27
smithjoi27

The opening of this fragrance is horrible but the dry down is nice....sample first!

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

Leathery, rubbery, smokey, floral sweet, etc... the bottle design is superb. Sexy scent? Yes! masculine? definitely!

hellogoddag
hellogoddag

The scent is not similar to Fahrenheit, but the style is.
Both scents take some dirty raw materials (Fahrenheit motoroil, Bvlgari Black rubber) and blends it with some great sweetness, that makes it deep, enjoyable and just great smelling.
I do agree that it could be unisex, but the same could so many other male fragrances. It's just a tag.Wear whatever you like to wear.

burgundyaltima

this is some sexy stuff!!.. too bad its very subtle and doesn't project well

metallarissa
metallarissa

I bought this without ever having smelled it based purely on reviews. I was NOT disappointed!

At first spray, I smell sexy, spicy tire rubber and smoky woods. It sounds like a strange combination, but it is arresting and pleasant on the nose.
After an hour, it gives way to more of a vanilla, musky, woody smell that is quite soft, actually, and stays that way for the rest of the day.

As a woman, I find that the top notes are more masculine and the middle and bottom notes are more feminine, so keep that in mind if you are trying to avoid smelling too much one way or the other. Personally, I really enjoy the playful twist from masculine to more vanilla-y and feminine, so a little gender play doesn't bother me at all in the scent domain. I've heard women say it's too masculine on these websites, but I disagree; I think it is appropriate for both sexes.

The overall smell lasts 4-6 hours, and ends with that warm vanilla softness. It is definitely not a scent you will find anywhere else, and is more of a night scent, though I wear it in the day for fun.

The only drawback, I think, is that the spicy/leather/rubber smell doesn't last longer before giving way to vanilla/musk. I love that sexy spiciness because that is what makes it stand out among the countless perfumes/colognes on the market.

Other than that, I ended up buying another bottle after I started using the first one so that I won't run out! It's amazing and unique.

Zenith
Zenith

I really admire the designer brands that come out with original ideas like YSL and this particular creation, Bvlgari Black. I thought it would be like burnt rubber based on reviews, but instead it is a very clean and fresh rubber smell. Reminds me of getting out the spare tyre when you have a flat kind of rubber.

Other than that the fragrance is mostly dry vanilla, with a stronger than usual sillage and longevity, especially compared to most of the houses other fragrances.

The mere existence of this fragrance is a positive thing, and I hope to smell more fragrances with unusual more modern notes in them

djwilson99
djwilson99

I owe this fragrance , nice bottle and I find it hard for me to wear not that I hate it but I just dont know why someone would wanna smell like rubber I will wear it lil bit more on the winter to see my final take on this scent

kida2010
kida2010

Dont feel the need to ever buy it again but it is a unique vanilla/rubber combo. Gets to my stomach after a while though.
The best time i wore this was in the peak of summer during a huge thunderstorm :) It really mingled with the fresh electric air after and humidity.
Wouldnt say it was really woody like this site, more gourmand/abstract.

TillyWave
TillyWave

I really should have tried this eons ago, I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE BLACK!!

The opening notes are smoky rich, a wonderful facsimile of authentic Lapsang Souchong tea with, yes, the RUBBER, and an undercurrant of leather. Actually the leather-rubber notes go together really well.

As usual, the smoky notes fade quickly, after about 10 minutes, and you are left to bask in leather, vanilla, woody musk, and a soft rubber note.

The drydown completely shocked me. It is an exact replica/accord of Indian Mysore Sandalwood, with a lingering vanilla note. I was dumbfounded. I used to have a collection of little sandalwood figurines from India as a child, and I will never forget how good they smelled. The drydown of black smells exactily like the best sandalwood.

This perfume give good personal projection, meaning you'll be able to smell yourself all day, and lasts upwards of 6 to 8 hours. These days I don't gravitate toward big bottles, but a 2.5 oz tester of Black was the same price as a 1.3 oz bottle, so I went for the larger one, and I'm glad I did, I never want to be without it.

scenturian
scenturian

Black sheep in the crowd.

The best from Bvlgari. Dark bitter woody with a hint of sweetness.
Reminds me smell of brake lining.
I guess this is going to be discontinued, better to stock up now.
More masculine than feminine for sure.

I love Bvlgari Black.

Longevity is average.
I wish it was a project monster.

nightcat23
nightcat23

I'm a woman and I love unusual smells however I really dislike this. Usually I love Bvlgari scents but I had never smelt this until today. I tested Black at the store and was overwhelmed by the burnt rubber tyre smell. What is this?! My nose demanded.

All I get is harsh burnt rubber smell and I couldn't wait to scrub it off fast enough. More power to you if you like it but I could never convince myself personally that I want to smell like a burnt dirty tyre abandoned on the side of the road.

I can't begin to fathom how this is considered unisex.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Unisex, yes, but probably tending more towards the masculine. I really like the rubbery, wood-smoked tea, rather raspy dryness of this, and would wear it from time to time (I'm female). In my mind it bears some similarities to Lalique Encre Noire, which is drier, and even to Knize Ten in its rubbery leather characteristics. Longevity and sillage are both good value. I can imagine that most people will either love or hate this, it's not a fragrance you can be "on the fence" about. It's the only Bvlgari scent apart from The Rouge which I have really liked.

mmh6352
mmh6352

I enjoy all the Bvlgari perfumes except this one. The scent is far from Bvlgari signature. Smells like rubber and burned plastic. Kind of weird. After 20 minutes it becomes woody and honey mixed scent, more acceptable.

Garyjames
Garyjames

I often smell this on women and think one of two things. Either A. - That woman has great taste, or B. - I bet she bought that because it was on sale at Ross. Depends on the woman. I love this perfume though, and am a sucker for any woman wearing it. Whether it came from Ross or not.

perfumebox
perfumebox

Bvlgari Black is a must-smell for all fragrance collectors. This is not going to be a crowd-pleaser, but it's definitely one of the standouts in Bvlgari's line of mostly quiet fragrances, and it's such a pity they've discontinued this.

If your primary objective for buying fragrance is getting compliments from the opposite sex, save your time and go for a cheaper, more simplistic scent. Black is not that. Black is a dark lapsang souchong redolent of smoke, rubber and cosmopolitan cityscapes.

This is what I consider a "complex-linear"; it doesn't evolve much but it's multi-faceted. It's a bit of a rebel, and attracts those who enjoy a bit of a challenge.

fuggerone
fuggerone

i like it but smells of tires, brand new tires!

andyray
andyray

Genius!

With reference to the late, great, J.G. Ballard, I can imagine that if this masterpiece had been created in 1996 then the wonderfully erotic and ambiguous James Spader could have worn ‘Black’ whilst playing ‘James Ballard’ in David Cronenberg’s adaptation of the author’s controversial, Crash (1996): the concrete Ballardian landscape redolent with heavy traces of various automobile derivatives and fumes as we witness the prowling actions of the central protagonist fuelling his addiction within this urban dystopia.

Annick Menardo has created one of the all-time iconic love/hate perfumes in which we discover robust leather/rubber/tar notes functioning as top notes veering only slightly from their initial trajectory as they continue towards base notes.

This is a hermaphrodite scent of stunning originality and sexiness, although some may wish to consider Van Cleef & Arpels’, ‘Midnight in Paris’ if a less solid version of ‘Black’ is desired, or the superb, delicate, nuanced, and sophisticated ‘Chergui’ by Serge Lutens: a divine creation that offers the wearer a more subtle and complex perfume whilst arguably satisfying the appetite of those for whom the ‘smoky/leathery’ chords defined by ‘Black’ remain appealing and alluring.

For further descriptive accounts, please read the wonderful reviews below.

(Edited: first posted 01/06/09)

perfumereviewer
perfumereviewer

Bvlgari is my first and such a thing you never forget, but while sniffing and baithing myself with Bvlgari scents I discovered this perfume. I was shocked at the first snif, and this was going through my mind: Why would anyone want to smell like asphalt, smog and car tires? Then I tried again, to see if there is anything there besides the bitter asphalt, and yes there is: wood and spices, but...a big BUT...I cannot get past the urban smell, the rubber and tarr. And NO, I don't want to smell this on any man (or woman), I don't like it.
The only bonus point is that it's original.

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I went threw the entire bottle. And the smell never quiet made me feel alluring.
I like to smell good for my self and for the women I know and meet.

But this scent never made me feel sexy. I never got a positive compliment but a lot of "what are you wearing, ugh" questions.

There seems to be a lot of guys out there that love this. But every time I sprayed it on I thought of a hockey puck. This was my first Bvlgari scent. I somehow expected more?

I am not any where near as cool as Bruce Willis. But I am not peewee herman either.

I do ok with Women. And the Women I knew when I was wearing this did not nuzzel my neck when I wore this.

Where what you like. But for me, I like to make a Woman's heart race when she gets close.

camposg
camposg

How can something unisex be considered soo masculine??? I didn't like this. Def more feminine and not that versitle.

gert1980
gert1980

bvlgari black is discounted in belgium,a shame

cory9207
cory9207

I love this cologne! Went out with some friends one night and I was approached by more women than ever before. Coincidence? I think not. This cologne shouts, "I just finished working on my classic muscle car, threw on a t-shirt, drove to a bar, and stole some guy's girlfriend." This is such a unique fragrance that most people feel inclined to either love it or hate it. I find it highly masculine and reminiscent of a day at the track with notes of gasoline, burnt tires, and fast cars. This is now my go-to cologne for a night out in the city. Best suited for casual attire, but I dare say this could be worn year round.

jamesivan
jamesivan

Like it or hate it. There is no other like it. None. This is the kind of fragrance which stimulates your senses to think as you try to smell it again and again on your arm. This fragrance is considered Unisex but to me, personally, I think it leans more toward the masculine side. With that said, there is no reason why a lady cannot pull this off. Switch your Vixen mode on ! This fragrance is so unique it makes you think, that's why it should be considered a masterpiece, or say, a classic. This is signature scent worthy.

Smoky, rubbery and leathery awesomeness ! Mystery in a bottle. It will take you to places.

Perfect for winter and nights. Longevity is good. Projection is a little close to the skin( this is for close encounters). 4 or 4.5 out of 5 for me. No less. This is good stuff !

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

All this time I've owned a mini of this because I had bought a bigger bottle for my ex of 5 years ago and keep seeing it on women's list of "haves" and then I realize this is meant to be a UNISEX fragrance!!???

*shuffles over to dresser and tries it on*

King Curtis
King Curtis

Just bought it online! cant wait!! i hope i won't be disappointed. first blind buy..

Detrafi
Detrafi

Bvlgari Black was a blind buy for me and it was definitely worth it. Scent is weird but nice + nice bottle + cheap = safe blind buy/must have(for me).

Nicely
Nicely

Wow, this is today me scent of the day i just sprayed it an 20 minutes ago, im going chilling out with me brother, its so sexy stuff right here guys, Smells like sexy rubber in the beginning, Lady's love this stuff, one of the Uniqueness t scents i ever smell,

Scent: 8.
Projection: 7.
Longevity: 8.

I have been wanting to test Bvlgari BLACK for quite some time now, but have put it off because of a negative experience with Kenneth Cole BLACK, which has a rubber tire facet as well. A fellow fragrant traveler sent me a generous decant of the Bvlgari classic, and I finally have mustered up the courage to give it a sniff.

My first impression was that this perfume absolutely bears the signature of Annick Ménardo. It seems like a sort of cross between a few of her perfumes familiar to me. But then there is the notable rubber note, which is what really makes this unique and is also the reason why this perfume is now famous. Vanilla rubber: who knew that this combination could create a coherent perfume?

More and more it's coming to seem that weird combinations such as rubber and vanilla and tea and leather (all present here) are taken to be masterpieces because there are no other perfumes like them when they are launched. I do own that BLACK is unique. It does not really smell like Kenneth Cole BLACK, though the tire notes connect them somewhat. In contrast to the Kenneth Cole composition, the Bvlgari does not have any detectable florality according to my nose. I primarily smell rubber, vanilla, and leather which is tea-infused and rubbery. So, yes, there's a lot of rubber going on here. Do people find the smell of rubber sexy because they think of condoms? I wonder...

There is definitely something appealing about this perfume, but it has that eerie appeal of all of the following highly sniffable materials: rubber cement, gas fumes off the nozzle, paint fumes, glue, burning rubber, magic markers and related solvents. Toxic fumes one and all, yet somehow enticing in an odd way. I wonder whether if one wore BLACK regularly one might actually suffer brain damage. I say this because I feel on the cusp of a headache after only a small application of this perfume.

I think that rubber notes and plastic notes work better for car interiors than on my skin. But I enjoyed this test ride.

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

This is one of my all-time, favorite scents! It is very sexy and mature. It's totally unisex and smells differant on everyone, yet it has common elements that all who wear it agree with.

This is not a gourmand, floral, fruity, citrusy, or accessible fragrance. It is an oriental that really borders on true chypre territory. It has black tea and spices, which give it a "hot burning nascar rubber" accord- full abstraction at it's finest! This lends a very sporty, metropolitan, almost "upper crust" sexiness to the composition.

Well, the actual ideal behind this scent can really go in either direction. It's great for those Harley rides through the mountains, and it's perfect for a dinner date at a metro-chic, minimalist establishment. As a matter of fact, it would be wonderful anytime you want to feel strong, independant and empowered in your own right. I think this is the true intention of this fragrance.

As for the unisex aspect, this fragrance is actually for men- it's not really a unisex fragrance. But, I think it's mostly women that wear it. It does not have the typical "men's aftershave" aromatic notes or overtly feminine notes familiar to us, therefore it's easier to wear in an incognito fashion by either sex. The fact that it contains abstract notes of rubber and black teas makes that transition easier also, as we do not associate those elements strictly with either sex- even though they are power notes.

This is a very sensual, powerful, and sexy fragrance for anyone who wishes to excude these qualities. But, have no fear...it's all done in elegance. Bvlgari Black is a professional at whatever role you want it to play....professional biker babe, professional business tycoon, professional chemist, professional nascar driver, profe.....

sparkybish
sparkybish

This smells so sexy and amazing. I think Katie Puckrik calls it a sexy astronaut smell, and I can't agree more. I told my husband he has to try it, because it makes me want to hump my own arm, and that's just awkward.

phyrexianc

I never expected to actually like this scent, but I do. I can´t think of an occasion to wear it other than some harley davidson party but still, this one´s special! Tyres and leather, there´s some dark and dirty sexyness to it. I think everyone should sniff this perfume at least once!

Edit: I have to re-review this one. I´ve worn this one through the weekend and it´s not just dirty sexy, it´s pure kink! This is definitely one for sexy time between the sheets. It starts with the rubber/leather scent but slowly somehing warm (is it vanilla?) comes into it. It stays warm and sexy with the leather in the background. My bf and I renamed it Bvlgari Horny... ;)

D A V A R I
D A V A R I

دقیقا مشابه این است که وارد مغازه فروش لاستیک ماشین شدی
بوی جالبی دارد ولی مورد پسند من نیست

This is exactly the same shops that sell tires, you
smell nice, but I do not like

bobbyferrant
bobbyferrant

this scent reminds me of the first few deep inhales as you walk onto a midnight train..smokey, powdery, dusty, warm vanillic rubbery in all the right ways. A masterpiece in my eyes..unique,urban,luxuruous.. a femme fatale, dominatrix hidden under tailored menswear.

gmstrack
gmstrack

This is naughtiness in a bottle. The vanilla is sweet and bossy at first and then dries down to a slightly powdery “skin, but better” routine. The leather cracks the whip early on, but calms down after rubber shows up. And then, there is something else. At first, it is difficult to place, but suddenly the answer appears…oh no they didn’t. Animalic. Salty. Metallic? Maybe buckles and chains? Is someone smoking in the corner?
During my next trip to New Orleans, I plan on drenching myself in this stuff. Well, maybe more than four sprays.

Raina
Raina

I don't think I would have sought this out to test if I hadn't become so interested in fragrances. I will say that in the past anything with a hint of rubber, leather, or licorice would have sent me running in the opposite direction. Not to mention anything masculine or unisex. I am the ultimate girly girl when it comes to fragrances, but every once in a while the girly girl wants to slap on some leather, sex it up and run with the big boys.

When I'm in that mood, I tend to crave scents that are sweet, but have a touch of masculinity or other leather-type depths to it. This one fits the bill pretty nicely for now.

I will admit to being skeptical at first. I mean, rubber tires? But it works! The rubber is the most intensive in that first few minutes after the initial spray. Gradually it sinks in with a smooth leather and vanilla combo that is really amazing. At that point the rubber is just there to give more of a darker depth. The vanilla is sweet and smoothly blends with the buttery leather, turning this into such a sexy scent.

As a vanilla lover, I'm lucky enough to get more of the vanilla on my skin. Had there been more rubber and less vanilla (as I can see this going depending on your skin chemistry) I don't think I would have liked it as much. As it is, it is my go-to bad girl scent for the moment.

Deetron
Deetron

I’ve tried Black Bvlgari twice and I think it’s not for me. Black Bvlgari has something rough, something awkward and unpleasant that made me stay away from it.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Direct hit in my top 10 of all time designers scents!
This one keeps up the hype imo. Remember its made in 1998 or (1997) !! And i think this one has no flankers (besides the recent mip from vc&a)
It fascinates me for its rubber vanilla and tea mixture which blends perfect on my skin
The most urban street car called desire scent i ever smelled
As other reviews state its like a cartrack in hot summer with the smell of burned tires, asphalt and ladies walking around with a vanilla swirl , its just like how Tombraiders Lara Croft would smell like! Very masculine in the opening with a slightly feminine twist but you sure need to be a woman with balls ( not for Mary Poppins types ;-)
This scent sprayed on your body will swirl around your chest all day long heated up on skin oozing a sultry delight of deep class with balls .
Longevity is good and sillage is average to good
A masterpiece and timeless!

talldarkroast
talldarkroast

Owned this about 10 years ago, and still remember how unique it smells. I ordered a bottle a couple weeks ago and it arrived today -- still smells as magnificent as I remember.

Reminds me of a luxury car; expensive and sexy.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Goes on soapy-fresh. Is that cardamom in there? Then the vanilla comes out and combines with the soapiness to become...Givenchy Pi. That was outing #1.

The second time around, the tire shop/rubber note dawns and combines with a palpable vanilla note that is only 1/4th sweet, and the effect is very hip, modern, cosmopolitan. This, I like, but it does annoy the back of my throat a bit. For two hours, it makes my throat hurt, and then it gets less intense, but it's still blended well, producing a rubbery vanilla smell. I like it, but it's just a few steps from nauseating.

The nose enjoys, but the stomach decides. I can't wear something that makes me want to stick near the restroom in case the tummy goes wobbly. Sorry, Bvlgari Black!

roya1
roya1

This is actually not bad,i dont get much of tire rubber smell.it actually remindes me of ck1( dont know y), but not as fresh o light as ck1. If you like perfumes with rubber or burnt rubber u wil like this.

SundayMorning
SundayMorning

love love love it!
Rubbery, burnt, vanilla & confidence,I´ll just keep going by adding warm, spicy & special.
But dude,am I alone when i get cinnamon in the middlenotes?

Fragrancelover2012
Fragrancelover2012

I bought this as a blind buy based on reviews I read. This has a very unique scent. I instantly pick up on the Leather,Green Tea, and Vanilla.This more of a evening/night fragrance than day time! Definetly Fall/Winter fragrance.It's very light so you could spray it multiple times and it wouldn't be over powering.

Kamicha
Kamicha

Love the edgy rubber - woody - vanillic accord --- but massive overdose of laundry detergent musc completely ruins this scent from me. It's just like at a moment of scent-creation-greatness a sudden bout of fear would have forced the perfumist to pour those soapy muscs over to please the large audience tastes.

Alphonse.lebere
Alphonse.lebere

This is definitely my number one cologne. My brother bought it a long time ago, probably when I was 12 and he was 18. He kept and used the bottle and every once in a while I would sneak a little spray here and there until it was gone and I had to wait to buy my own. I am on my third bottle now and I love it, and everyone who smells it on me loves it. It is my girlfriends favorite cologne that I wear.

I'm not going to talk too much about the specific notes because they all combine to form the bvlgari black animal. If you smell it, yes, you can depict rubber, vanilla, green tea and leather... As for petroleum, I don't get any, only in my Dior Fahrenheit do I get the petroleum smell (which I love).
So instead of specific notes, I'm going to create a place/person/time for this fragrance, and I'm also going to steal from a review I once read about this in my description;

(for men) Imagine you are an undercover detective with maybe a five o' clock shadow in some casual dress wear. You drink Johnnie Walker in a crystal scotch glass on late nights (which is every night) and listen to Deacon Blues by Steely Dan. You are adventurous and free-loving but you are also stern, careful, mysterious, and decisive. You carry a smell that you pick up in the metropolitan streets of a humid Asian street steaming with spices that mix with your sweat and pherimones creating a very sexy smell that can be unique to the wearer (of this cologne). Every person you walk by in the dense concrete jungle doesn't notice you until you turn a corner or melt into the darkness leaving an enticing trial of deliciousness that is too late to chase, but only imagine.

Hope that was good. Love this stuff. I recommend blind buy 100%. If you don't like it, you can always gift it, and Im sure the giftee with enjoy it. 5/5.

aditika
aditika

Rubber
Petroleum
Sandalwood

These are the three words comes to my mind when I think about Black. You know when you fill your car and you smell your hand this is what it smells like- Pretol + Rubber smell coming from heated car. The dry down is pure sandalwood (to me).

I got this fragrance because it is a must have for perfume freaks like me :) Luca Turin included this in his 100 classics, which was enough for me to own this bottle. And speaking of the bottle, like all Bvlgari frags the packaging and bottle design is marvellous.

This is a beautiful unisex frag which on men smells manly and on woman smells womanly. My fiancée loves this. He only uses two of my frags - Black Orchid and Black :)

A MUST try and a must have :-)

5 stars for uniqueness, silage, and POW factor, also versatility because can be used by men and women both :)

nazari753
nazari753

My wife loves this on me. I can smell every single note on my skin. I feel exotic and sexy when I wear this. It's definitely a night scent for me in cooler months.
love the bottle too. A must have. Go blind buy this at least for the bottle. 10 out of 10.

Enchntress
Enchntress

Love it!! On me, the rubber smell is minimal but at the same time it greatly adds to the depth of the cedar, tea and bergamont. The vanilla adds yet another layer and to me, it's not the common vanilla, but a warm, woodsy one.

I would bathe in this if I could. :P

Some have claimed that the original formulation was a lot more rubbery. I think I have a newer one and there is enough rubber in it for me. However, while I like it at first, after an hour or so there isn't much remaining, and what there is isn't very interesting. It's like a few notes are smeared out and then they just lie there, so dynamism is minimal. I guess the impression of the drydown is mostly vanilla and a suede-like quality, with a little rubberiness. It's not too sweet, thankfully, but I prefer more complex ones like this, such as FUBU Plush for Men. This may be okay for wearing when you can't pay much attention to the fragrance, but otherwise it's like a pop song; it gets tiring rather quickly.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

"Bvlgari Black" is unique. I really don't see many similarities between it and "Midnight in Paris", but there's a certain link there.

"Bvlgari Black" offers a completely new approach to vanilla with something that'll always reminds me of rubber. Dark, mysterious, rubbery, sexy and long lasting... a masterpiece!

pepe7111
pepe7111

its perfect for muggy summer days when the heat is on and the humidity is unbearable.and not just for urban dwellers.
for me its not unisex its more of an ageless scent for the earthlings.
i am not particulalry keen on BVLGARY frags but this one is a truly memorable from the 90 s..love to spray it evenly .
all the time
today and forever.

Kain
Kain

Burned rubber with sweet and sensual vanilla in the bottle! :d
Start with dark and smoky scent of leather and black tea and some sweetness from vanilla.
The leather in this fragrance smells like a burned rubber! I think the smoky leather and black tea combo giving us this burned rubber vibe.
In the drydown and base, the burned rubber vibe is still there with very sensual and delicious scent of vanilla and musk.
Great balance between smoky and sweet notes.
Good longevity but it doesn't project well.
It's a unique and great fragrance with amazing look bottle.
يه عطر منحصر و بفرد و بسيار خوشبو كه البته ممكنه هر كسي خوشش نياد
رايحه اوليه اين عطر، بوي تلخ و تاريك چرم و چاي سياه هست به همراه كمي رايحه شيرين به خاطر وجود وانيل
تركيب چرم و چاي سياه بوي عجيبي رو ايجاد ميكنه كه بويي شبيه به بوي لاستيك سوخته ميده. اگه تو دوران بچگي مثل من لاستيك ماشين آتيش زده باشين ميدونين چي ميگم!‌:دي
در ادامه اون بوي شبيه به لاستيك سوخته وجود داره منتها ضعيفتر به همراه رايحه شيرينتر و قويتر وانيل و مشك كه بوي فوق العاده جذاب و تحريك كننده اي ايجاد ميكنن. بوي شيرين و خوشمزه اي داره
ماندگاري خوبي داره اما پخش بوي زياد نيست و دور و اطرافيان به راحتي متوجه بوش نميشن
بطري اين عطر فوق العاده زيباست و من عاشق اين همه ظرافت و زيبايي در طراحي اين بطري هستم

Belladonna_dea
Belladonna_dea

After reading Angelina Jolie wear this perfume even though it is made for a man, I had to try it. When it hit my skin all I could think of a was a new car with leather interior. Then it reminded me of the smell your clothes have after buying from a high end store. It's great in those instances, but not on my skin. I couldn't make sense of the smell because it made no sense but that is why I couldn't stop smelling my wrist. It finally opened up later into a solid powdery woody scent so it was still masculine but smelled like something a metropolitan executive would wear to the office in an Armani suit. I was surprised I didn't see 'watery' or 'ozonic' on the description but I definitely smelled leather first and then a woody after scent.

Barolo
Barolo

I hate to stereotype but I just have to say that every Canadian should buy this based on the bottle alone. It looks very much like something Sidney Crosby would rocket into the upper corner.

As for the scent... Like most people have commented, this is pure rubber, or rubbish, if you don't like rubber, and I find it hard to believe most people honestly like rubber.

The sensation on my skin is that I just spilled a little gas on my hand from filling my car up(those in Oregon have no idea what I'm talking about).

This is a real headache inducer for me. After it settles, it's not all that bad, but instead of needing an 800mg ibuprofen, I probably need a couple of 250's.

The market for this one should honestly be guys working as part of a Nascar pit crew. I think I'll write Bvlgari world headquarters and request a name change to, Bvlgari Black Nascar.

This is my 2nd Bvlgari scent and I strongly dislike both of them. "MAN" was the other.

I shuttled this one off to my wife...when she's wearing it I expect her to perform maintenance on our vehicles.

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

I'll admit when I first smelled Bvl. Black I did not like it it reminded me of a tire coated in vanilla...I said who would want to smell like a vanilla bicycle tire??...&& that was a year ago so lately I've really been into fragrances with leather notes i.e. love V&A's MIP so just the other day I came back to this keep in mind I never tested it on my skin so I gave it a spray on top my hand gave it a couple min...&& omg I was really amazed && delighted with the smell...skin really does the trick with this scent it really works wonders with body chemistry && I really enjoyed how it reacted with mine && the more it dried down the more I loved it, it really is an odd unique lil' fragrance on how it plays with your nose b/c @ first I didn't like it but it grew on me && I deff. agree it does have a really warm && comforting quality to it specially on those cold days from fall-early spring, every time I caught a wiff of myself in the breeze I said OMG that is good!, lol if your interested deff give it a chance b/c it can be a lil standoffish @ first && don't judge it by paper it needs a skin test! so who would want to smell like a vanilla tire, apparently me! haa :)

aschiffm
aschiffm

This perfume defines "Urban". I would classify it as an avant-garde fragrance. I always thought the smell of gasoline was amazing and never knew why, this fragrance has the same effect on me. It starts of as thick hot melting rubber. Luckily it doesn't last more than you want it to- fades into a dark leather with a hint of vanilla. As it dries down you get more and more of the smokey vanilla. It's an addicting smell and oddly comforting.

ladywildswan

I like this scent very much... it has not lasted on my skin, until yesterday when it was quite warm... and there is was in all it's glory. Maybe this scent should be worn in warmer weather? Just thinking out loud and willing to give it a warm weather chance! Since I do enjoy this scent very much I would love to try the perfume. Sexy!

Allinug
Allinug

The first time I smelled Black it was no this is awful but I liked it after a while. After that I have sometimes liked it and sometimes not.

Now I have bought Black and I love it...at first the smell of rubber and then it blends with vanilla to a wonderful, deep, magic, sexy smell...I'm in heaven...

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

Top too much for me. When i sprayed it. 2 min later my mom walked right next to me and said it smells like burnt rubber. And i wouldnt go that far. But i deffinately get that rubber tire shop everyone sais. Drydown is nice. Goes creamy in the end. But im impatient. I want a frag to smell good from beginning to end.

ladywildswan

I love it... it's good leather and birch forest. Smokey, yes Lapsang Sauchong black tea and sexy animal. Vanilla and tobacco, the good kind. I never got the rubber, I got the leather right away. It reminds me of a very sexy woman who has the nerve to go to a men's club... she will be noticed. Very Sexy! Be very careful with this one!

My only negative is that it has to be reapplied! Oh well I can deal! hahahaha.

olga1780
olga1780

I think it's one of the most wearable leather fragrances, especially for those who shy away from strong perumes and want to introduce themselves to leather genre. I like the scent, but it's too watered down and barely lasts through two hours whether it's the skin or clothes.....which is a typical problem with EDT concentration from BVlgari. It wears more like an expensive rich leather scent after 6 hours. Can be a great option for warmer wheather. I would say it may be worth trying for about $30 for a large bottle, but not it's not an essential part for the perfume wardrobe.

Edit: i really get a kick out of it when I double spray it, because it is so light that average 4 sprays are not enough. I am so wearing it in summer!

sherryxfilesfan
sherryxfilesfan

I love this stuff...something different than i've ever smlled before. There's a distinctive peppery smell that I can't quite put my finger on.

reusch210
reusch210

I love this and just think it's brilliant. Makes you feel great when paired with a casual black tee or tank etc or casual black dress. I imagine getting all gussied up in black, doing a smoky eye - drinking a beer out of the bottle at the bar, back hands in your pocket etc..

body67
body67

sweet, vanillic, rubbery, powdery, lipstick - and not in a good way! i find it beyond cloying. thumbs down i'm afraid.

Gfontes
Gfontes

Another great fragance from Bvlgari. Very unique, one of my favorites scents. Highly recommended!!!
_____

Outro excelente Bvlgari. Perfume único, um dos meus favoritos. Altamente recomendado!

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

I think Black is a must have in your perfume line-up if you love vanilla.Black smells amazing. Both on me and on my husband. I can't quit sniffing my wrist or his neck. On me it's powdery and very vanilla. Very soft like angora against my skin. The tea/rubber scent is stronger on my husband and it is very nice but in a different way. This is a sexy scent and will, I believe go down as one of the most brilliant perfumes made.

querelle
querelle

I like to think of Bvlgari Black as an idea which lingers in your mind once it's got in. It's always there, delightfully abstract and persistent. Some other times I like to think of it as a state of mind. Solid, like something you can depend on.
Either way, it's amazingly beautiful. And it makes you want to love it for as long as you can, like a lover whose always there without asking any commitment. Just desire.. Magic..

baba
baba

I am not a fan of this on women at all, in my opinion it is just too masculine a scent. But if you are the kind of man that wants to be instantly recognized by your scent, then this fragrance is for you. It is a stunner, in a good way. If someone is wearing this near you and you smell it, you know EXACTLY what it is...there is no "it might be this" or "it might be that".

You will know it by the trail of panties thrown at your feet...it is Bvlgari Black.

Bvlgari Black is not subtle or soft or nuanced, it doesn't tap you softly on the shoulder and say "excuse me"...it grabs you by the collar and smacks you in the face.

There will be nights you probably wont want to go near this fragrance but there will be other nights you just cant get enough, it is just that kind of scent.

I was afraid of it at first, but after getting lots of compliments at work and getting lots of extra attention from my wife, I decided not to be afraid of it anymore.

Rubber? Leather? Green Tea? I have no frigin idea, but lets just say it is not ordinary and it somehow just works. If you enjoy a fragrance that is NOT middle of the road, I recommend it highly.

iivanita
iivanita

i tried EDT, only available here where i live, and i read before about this scent so i was expecting something rather unpleasant like you all said rubber?, and that smell should be strong and hard to digest for my nose...but when i tried it, first it was not strong at all, maybe because EDT?....it was not unpleasant...and it was not the rubber...it was something distant, dusty/dry, like some clean smoke (i think thats green tea i feel)...it was basicly much different then i was imagining....and for me there are many other scents my nose has problems with...this one was like baby powder :) i like it...maybe i buy it....but its not big silage nor huge longevity...like chanel cuir de russia, which is the scent that gave me hard time first 3 times i tried it...later i loved it and still love it so so much its staying all day long you dont have to bring wrist to nose to feel it! so amazing

tbozzo
tbozzo

I wanted to love this one. I'm a sucker for vanilla, and I've always loved the smell of the tire store. When I was a kid, I remember waiting at Sears to have new tires installed on the family car. I would smell the displays as if they were put there for olfactory enjoyment rather than industrial usage! Bvlgari Black leaves me sad. I don't get tires in the top notes, I get smoke. And not a good smoke (as in burnt sugar), but bad smoke (as in used ashtray.)

I will try this again when I don't have to leave the house and see where it goes.

Edit:
I gave it another go after buying Dzing and loving it despite the smoky opening. The smoke burns off Black and I do get a very real tire experience. I can smell tires if I sniff my wrist, but a lovely light waft of vanilla is present every minute or so. Don't know if this will become a favorite, but it is interesting and I'll probably keep my FB.

micah.mcgahee
micah.mcgahee

Bvlgari Black is the most unusual but interesting/ intriguing fragrance I have ever come across. With notes of rubber, vanilla, tea, and leather, you wouldn't think this would smell all that nice.....but it actually kinda does :) Imagine walking into a tire shop WHILE holding a bottle of vanilla extract under your nose. Yeah...very interesting, huh? The rubber and vanilla are really the only two noticeable notes in this fragrance. Then as it dies down, you just get a smokey, sweet vanilla (which I really like). This isn't the type of fragrance that I'd want a big bottle of, considering it smells like a tire, but the 0.17 oz sample bottle is fine for me. It IS a nice and unique scent, however it isn't my favorite. I'm very glad I've had opportunity to try it :)

God bless!!

vinisantosrs
vinisantosrs

This one Screams SEX! I can't wait to buy it, very sensual/sexual.

curlykitty8
curlykitty8

If you love the smell of fresh rubber, buy yourself the largest bottle of Bvlgari Black and enjoy!
Despite reports that it may be one of the loveliest perfumes ever made, I simply cannot imagine how or why anyone would think so.
I have a mini so if anyone wants it, let me know!
Double yuck.

jonr951
jonr951

I FINALLY smelled this! It took me a few years but I finally found it yesterday. Great stuff and I can't wait to own a bottle! Bravo Bvlgari! : )

kris919
kris919

This was a huge disappointment. I bought this beginning of last summer based on all the hype I heard...burning tires...leather. I got it home, and sprayed it on. vanilla. only soft fleeting vanilla. And as with all Bvlgari that I've ever tried...lasting power was like 10 minutes on me. that's it...soft vanilla. I ended up returning it after 2 days. If Bvlgari black was a person, I'd smack the hell out of them.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A black leather jacket scent summed up as a perfume, which projects well for 4-5 hours...

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0 - 4.5 hours - There is a clear smell of black leather jackets, which once I picked up, dominated my every feeling and thought towards this scent. It is well done and projects very well, 1.5 foot around..Good

4.5 hours - 6 hours - 3 inch projection. Some soapiness but only a tiny bit

6 hours - 8 hours. Close to skin, dillutes quickly

If you like the smell of black leather, then get your credit card out ASAP!

Generally speaking, this is more male than female but in some "special" scenarios I think this on a female would work much better than it ever could on a man..............................

Good

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

Vanilla, tyres, vanilla, tyres, vanilla, tyres
Who would think that combination would be so comforting. A juxtaposition between vanilla and another note always seems to make the wearer happy. The combination needs to be in slight conflict to get the pleasing effect

lfmars98
lfmars98

Based on a sample. On the scent strip I sprayed, you smell the burnt rubber note. But on my skin it was just a lot of vanilla and a little smoke. No projection at all and it lasted 6 hours top for me. Very disappointing based on the other reviews I've read. No buy for me. 6/10

scribs
scribs

i just got this for X-mas and i must say i LOVE IT! its such a sweet fragrance with that leathery-ruber twist that makes it modern ,

it starts off with a strong blast of vanilla and as it dries you start to smell the leather with a hint of tea. the projection is pretty ok not a power house but adequate and the longevity is also decent, i get about 6 hours on my skin.

the versatility on it is amazing as well, but i find it best to use anytime u are going to see ur special someone, ive been told and i quote "you smell delicious, it makes me wanna lick u up".

it also gets some serious style points, i mean really, the bottle is gorgeous.

all and all i give this fragrance a well deserved 9 o.o. 10

Marcos Oliveira

cheiro de borracha? so ao cheirar bem na pele...as pessoas ao redor nao sentem isso,mas cheiro de chá e baunilha...namorada sempre cheirando pescoço e se deliciando.dificil pra usar,especialmente aqui no rio de janeiro,quente o ano todo,porém exclusivo e elegante.

Molko
Molko

Coool fragrance! Pleasant warm vanilia and powdery, I feel also a rubber smell. It's not too masculine nor feminine, really like it:)

10jflow
10jflow

I was scared to try this after reading all of the 'Ack! Tire shop!' reviews. I'm glad I finally did. The rubber note is so much tamer than I was expecting. In fact, if I hadn't been told already that it was rubber I would have had a hard time initilly placing it. It's not overwhelming at all - for me it just adds interest to a pretty base that is sweet and dominated by vanilla and amber. It's a pretty, slightly off-kilter vanilla. Lovely.

Sophie.love
Sophie.love

Magnifique !!! Interesting smell,beautiful bottle.First time I can smell leather ,green tea and vanilla,but...after a while when comes the end notes I can smell ''luxury''.Yep :)end-notes = '' luxury '' smell :))

nopasho
nopasho

'Totally unique!!!' A lot of reviews here start with that catchphrase. And don't get much further than that. Even when talking about generic aquatics, run of the mill fruity florals, the zillionth vanilla bomb: 'Wow, totally unique'. Well ladies and gents: this fragrance is 'REALLY FREAKIN' TOTALLY UNIQUE FOR SURE'.
Female genius nose Annick Menardo has produced a miracle: make the impossible possible. Produce a high quality fragrance that blissfully marries totally different, opposite and even potentially infighting notes like vanilla, leather, bergamot, tea, jasmine, cedar, amber... sweet, bitter, sour, woody and 'umami', make a great frag and to top it all off: totally unisex. It is the full 'wish list' of many fragrance lovers. But even in the top league of fragrances it is hard to find. As hard to find together in one fragrance are also these qualities: creative, accessible, original, totally wearable, gorgeous smelling, not excruciatingly expensive. And the PR-machine added an attention and nose-catching element to it that press and perfume lovers simply had to investigate: it would have a 'burned rubber' smell! 'Burned rubber meets vanilla', how is that for an irresistable catchphrase and 'unique selling point'? Of course that is a bit PR hot air and press hyperbole. You get a deep smoky note allright, but 'burned rubber', it isn't. Lukcily. Because those unfortunate enough to have smelled real burned rubber, will be relieved. It is simply a deep smoky note that makes magic and whoopie with the vanilla.
How did Annick Menardo pull this totally original masterpiece off and how did she marry the vanilla with the 'tarry smoke'? Top: Green tea, bergamot; Middle: cedar, sandalwood, jasmine; Very strong and original Base: Leather, vanilla, amber, musk. So not too many notes. And again it is proven (think about the 'Mugler' and 'Caron' 'house rule: 'keep it simple'): genius lies mostly in simplicty.
Menardo makes the 'smoky-woody notes' of 'top tea', 'middle cedar and sandalwood' and 'base leather' work simultaneously on all three levels together. And these notes on the three different levels together interact so intensively and fortify themselves, that you get that 'burned rubber' note which is really 'top tea times middle wood times base leather'. That alone however would make it 'just another smoky frag', not a stand out frag and masterpiece. But Menardo added strong vanilla as counterpoint to the equally strong smoke/wood side. And she married these notes with the help of the base amber and musk and the peppery jasmine who is a bit sweet and a bit spicy, so that this natural jasmine/amber/musk makes the 'bridge' or functions as the cement between the 'burned rubber' and 'vanilla' sides. But we're not there yet. This combo alone would be too 'heavy' and dense. So she relieves the tension by adding the fresh bergamot in the top. Et voilà: you have your stroke of genius: 'Bulgari Black'.
The genius is also that the interaction between these totally different notes produces a lot of scent impressions that come and go as these different notes play 'catch and let go' with each other and develop and make an evolution on your skin. So that's why you get one minute Lempicka-ish licorice, then Tom Ford-ish tobacco vanilla, then a floral touch, a fresh minute... But it is not a constant changing of the guards. The fragrances keeps its brilliant, engaging flowing woody-vanilla pace and heavenly smell going wihtout totally chaning direction along the way. I'm a a fan of Serge Lutens. It is the first time that I have to admit that a frag is better than a Lutens: 'Black' is simply better intense and more sheer genius than the already fantastic 'Miel de Bois', also wood and vanilla, but not as deep and surprising and fun and pleasurable as 'Black'.
'Black' is a smoky, sweet, woody, fresh, comfy, multi facetted, totally original fragrance. Like a good dish all different elements are happily married together: sweet (vanilla), bitter (cedar, sandalwood, tea), sour (bergamot), umami (amber). Only the salty note is absent, which IMHO nobody will miss. And it is Bulgari quality: strong sillage, great longevity.
Don't believe the hype, don't be put off by the 'rubber tire' gimmick bottle that some nimble mind and 'mad man' in a PR firm made up during a brainstrom of 3 days without any real inspiration. Try this on paper impossibile but harmonious and exceptional marriage of contrasts. And the you'll propably have to admit: 'Black' is indeed beautiful! Very beautiful.

hockeygirl256
hockeygirl256

This perfume is great on me. My skin tends to turn things very sweet and powdery, so for me the main note I smell in this is vanilla, along with a hint of leather. An unusual scent that I used to wear a lot. When people smell it they say it smells like me lol.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

gosh. It's soft, warm, friendly, discreet...I really can't imagine finding it offensive in any way. Like Bandit it has a reputation for edginess but is just plain nice, gentle and likeable and only very very vaguely challenging. The rubber is really only suggested. I wonder what people who find this hard to take think of scents that really take some time to acquire a taste for.

lhollingdrake
lhollingdrake

Not like anything else out there. People don't even know what to say about it. There is a confused look with an uncontrollable need to comment, "You smell... ...good...? What is that?" Not, "What are you wearing?" or "Which fragrance is that?" but "What the hell is that?" I like to stump people.

Scentrist
Scentrist

So this has become a rarity anywhere and seems all but discontinued save for e-tailers and Bvlgari's own website. I found it on Amazon, so I took the plunge. I've sampled it in the past and it was unique, in a word. Rubber, yes, but a pleasant sort of aroma nestled with vanilla, smoky tea notes and a powdery amber/musk finish.

It's surprising, as other reviewers have said repeatedly. I like it. It's not this "light, fresh, citrus junk" that seems to be produced every two minutes recently, nor is it a sharp and irritating fragrance. It's warm, softer than a description might portray, and very masculine.

Having said that, everyone's favorite topic seems to be the "rubber notes". I sprayed this on myself, let it dry down, and had my wife smell it: She did not detect the rubber as much as she did the smoky tea and musk/vanilla notes.

I'd call this a very fun fragrance since the creativity is brilliant and it's bound to create questions. Granted, not everyone's tastes, but if you have a chance to sample, definitely judge for yourself.

Labaloo
Labaloo

I admit: I bought this fragrance for the bottle and the tales of the rubber note. I wore it a few times, and then found myself avoiding it, regarding it warily as a little monster in my collection, ambivalent whether to keep, give it away, or sell it, and relying upon the "comfort food" in my collection when cool weather came.

And maybe that was the best thing to do. My nose has become more-educated in the last couple of years, more able to discern different notes. I took up the bottle once again just the other day, and sprayed, and was amazed. The harmony of the tar, the black rubber, coumarin, the "tea", orris, olibanum and myrrh, the possible hint of lavender... Vetiver. The effect truly does remind me of walking amongst shelves of new tires...

And I now find it comforting, somehow.

Bvlgari might have called this fragrance "au thé noir", but then again, the simplicity of "Black" has its charms, for, unlike many other fragrances with similar appellations, this one truly earned it.

kaktus
kaktus

Licorice, tar, vanilla but not heavy or aggressive at all. Just awesome. Only a few could wear this as their signature scent. Super super unique.

stacyrenee
stacyrenee

There is something mysterious and alluring about this, although it is also soft and comforting- something simple and yet magnetic. It's like the moment your eyes meet his, and everything else just fades away as time seems to stop for that single moment. It's captivating and natural, not understated but also without any confetti or fanfare; sufficient for itself.
Im sure this is a nice fragrance on a man, but on myself(a woman) I can say it is fantastic. Layer it with a little Le Baiser Du Dragon and it is really something special, or with B&B Twilight Woods and it smells reminiscent of cherry vanilla cigars, very pleasant and nostalgic. I can also say there is something in those combinations reminiscent of Joop, but without the heaviness.
The rubber note is present in the beginning, but fades into perfection soon after. This is so delicious. It blends together so well it has both masculine and feminine qualities. It is just really well balanced and layers well with many other fragrances to make them richer and more intriguing. I do wish it lasted longer but even so, it is all around just lovely rich intoxication. This stuff is amazing. Pleasant, slightly spicy,cozy, nonoffensive and dreamy. Unique and sophisticated, it's fast becoming one of my favorites and you might just fall in love the first time it lingers on your wrist.

HazelMae
HazelMae

Interesting that a tea fragrance can be dark. However, I never detected the rubber. I did perceive a sort of optical-illusion incense note, which I believe is due to an interaction of tea, smokiness and vanilla rather than actual incense.

I like it but rarely crave it.

cinsot
cinsot

The rubber references are true after all.

Bridgestone eat your heart out.

Not my cup of tyre.

OZ
OZ

Very interesting scent, it's warm and sweet. I detect vanilla and rubber together, when hold the nose closer, it smells like car tire. I imagine this would be cloying in the heat, will work better in cooler weather. Definitely not blind buy, do try before buy.

netorian
netorian

Like a tire. Why don't you wear it? Why do you wear it? No question. Angelina Jolie wears this, but Bradt Pitt wears Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. Next time i'll mix it. Now i buy it, try it. F... i'm a man. Maybe it'll frayed.

But the scent is good. Better than a the tire. Jolie, where are u???

Uniqueness: 6/10
Erotica: 7/10
How i like it: 8/10

Good for a first date? Why not? I see this fragrance also good for boys and girls in the first date. Not too intrusive, but thought-provoking. But who will feel love with you, will do it not just because of the scent.

NYprospect
NYprospect

I live in a crowded NYC.This scent is very recognizable even in a bustling, busy city.I purchased this when i was in my 20's and was excited to get my nose on it.The initial spray was vanilla(not sweet),then came the plastic doll smell.Yes plastic rubber doll you find in a dollar store.Sold it promptly on ebay and went to therapy the next day.

kit1982
kit1982

I love this! Very warm. After a long walk, the scent seems to intensify as I sweat. Definitely include this in my top 10.

micrtin
micrtin

I have to agree with Euse. Funny thing I tried this one the same day as jean paul gauthier le male and after the dry down they were quite similar. except this one didn`t project or last half as long as le male. actually le male was so over bearing... maybe i couln`d smell this one

Bandit
Bandit

This is my scrubber.

With headache and nausea and the whole thing. It was quite a while ago, that I detested it, maybe now my disgust would be gone, but I assume, that the rubber and leather together with the tea simply turned my stomach. But after all, why would somebody would like to smell of rubber? If she/he could smell of Kingdom, or Habanita, or Arpege? Perfume heaven vs. rubber....

My reaction was that strong, that I had to get rid of my bottle immediately.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

Everything has been said about the notes, complexity and originality of this perfume. I will only attest that my mum who is not fond of perfumes generally, and who has never owned one, commented how beautiful it was on me, and we actually ended up sharing it! My point is that you don't have to be an expert to recognise a masterpiece, no matter how manifold and bizarre it is; because this is what this perfume is all about. Black beauty with brains!

sushi.jelly
sushi.jelly

When I first try it on my skin, it had this kind of unpleasant smell but for like a second, it faded away and start to hit me. The smell reminds me of the crowded streets on rush hour, smoke from the car, the heat from the city,... I dont like the vanilla note, but I bought it anyway cause it gives me so much feeling.

evilspin
evilspin

Understandably not for everyone. But anyone who negatively critique this fragrance are very closed minded and do not see the art of the fragrance. This is not meant to just remind you of rubber and give you a quick distaste reaction of the thought of tires and streets. Look deep within of its uniqueness. how it makes one even realize that even the smell of tires could be appreciated. This fragrance recalls a scent most often associated with men. Cars. Garages, autobody shops, tools. Masculinity! The other notes really compliments the leather/rubber note and becomes not a dirty burnt tires of a speeding car but a very intoxicating rugged but soft sexy fragrance.

Marcos Oliveira

cheiro complexo,é verdade.mas é bom,elogios? nao espere.mas recebi alguns,poucos é claro...elegante,o melhor é que ele muda na pele,tipo perfume de fases.tem que estar frio ao menos 21 graus para usa-lo,caso contrario vai ser desperdicio.cheiro de borracha,pneu novo e papelao,uhauhaui.nota de chá,marca registrada da marca percebe tambem,mas um pouco coberta.projeta pouco,fixa bem pela proposta.o frasco é o melhor de Bulgary Black.
nota 7/10.

hnyc
hnyc

Wow leather is so strong on this one for the entire time it lasted on my skin. I did get something softer along with the leather that I could detect about half hour in, I think it was Jasmine. I have a hard time seeing this as unisex as I think it's a very masculine scent. It's an interesting scent, I've never tried one like it. I can see why it creates a big draw but I personally do not like this one.

Hoxx
Hoxx

When I first tried this one, I couldn't help but wonder how, but how can this one be sold as unisex?! It seemed to me that a girl could never wear such thing after I felt the initial note, but even though I proved myself wrong, it still feels like a fragrance 'pour homme'. However, here's my experience with it.

At first there is a 'burning tire' note everyone talks about here, but the pure tire note lasts a couple of seconds. It gets softened by bergamot firstly, and then, after some time, notes of vanilla and jasmine show up, together with rubber, making it sweeter and more pleasant. They grow stronger with time, unlike the rubber which loses its strength. In the end, a few hours lasting combination of sweet and flowery combo and musk makes an incredible drydown, which, although close-to-the-skin, is the best part of this fragrance's evolution. The perfume's longevity is about seven or eight hours.

The thing I love about this one is its versatility, due to its complex nature. It can be as masculine as it gets, but also feminine if needed. It can be worn with a leather jacket, with suit and a tie, with jeans. It can also be worn almost any time of day and year, except in summer day. It is an original creation of Bvlgari house which I really appreciate. Overall, it is an excellent perfume.

8.5/10

lune85
lune85

As an owner of a bottle of Van Cleef and Arpel's Midnight in Paris, I thought I would also enjoy Bulgari Black given the many comparisons between the two. While Midnight in Paris has a creamy smokiness, I find Bulgari Black to have an unpleasant exhaust note. Between the two, Bulgari Black's drydown is much more masculine than Midnight in Paris due to it's muskiness. Those who found Midnight in Paris to be too feminine, may like Bulgari Black's ruggedness better. I, on the other hand, prefer Midnight in Paris.

SensualistGeek
SensualistGeek

My favourite fragrance of all time.

That is all.

Flawless.

All hail the genius of Annick Menardo.

Writing more now would just be silly.

(only this... I can't help but covet the 'bathline' in the print-ad up there. If only they still produced that, life would be complete!)

jtd
jtd

I've just written about Shalimar and Heritage and their lineage in the evolution of the amber fragrance. There is a strong sense of through-line. Although separated in origin by about 70 years, similarities of composition and intent are far more apparent than their differences. Then Black, the evolutionary jump. This fragrance captures the best of post-modernism: the breaking down of form, a grasp of the tools of abstraction, the value of simplicity. It also avoids postmodernism's traps: colloquialism, cleverness posing as consideration, default irony.

And there's the additional factor that I'll chalk up to perfumer Annick Menardo. Similarly to her Lolita Lempicka, Black is fun. Not trite, not a divertissement. Truly fun--enjoyable, exciting, something to engage you, something you want to share. Rubber, something outside the pharmacopoeia of perfumery, smells good. No shock value, no in-joke smallness, no irony. Who knew?

I think it's telling that every person I've shared this perfume with, 1) finds it beautiful, and 2) then wants to talk about it. I couldn't ask for more in a perfume.

Kalima
Kalima

Not to add to the overwhelming number of reviews. Found this smelled like burned rubber on me and put it away for a few years and was about to sell it. But - stop - dragged out Bandit and layered it on top of Black - WOW! Sexy as hell and spouse went crazy for it! A bit expensive as a mix but if you have the 2 already, go for it!

highdef
highdef

I if owned a leather jacket I would wear this, to increase my leathery aura, Its kind of classy, not for suit and tie events I dont think, with the whole rubber tire smell.

do women find the smell of rubber attractive? Its quite strong here.

I find it hard to wear though, I need a leather jacket for this one.
Its a sitting duck at the moment.

I prefer mindnight in Paris, which Is romance in a bottle!

eilismaireg

Well, I am not disappointed. This is a sexy fragrance which leans toward the masculine a little too much for me, but is enjoyable to wear. It is warm, with no burned smell, and is nowhere near as smoky as the Le Labo which I've loved wearing. I don't get the tyre note at all, but it does share a dusty leathery/rubbery 'vibe' with Dolce & Gabbana's sadly discontinued 'By' for women, and I'd recommend this if you lament its disappearance. It smells expensive and niche, and only confirms my awe at Menardo's skill for producing provocative and thoughtful smells. I'm not sure whether to keep this one or pop it in my husbands Christmas stocking, but I shall be wearing it, one way or another. It also smells almost identical to MAC 'MV3' which was a limited edition if you missed it....

eilismaireg

I've just ordered this as my first blind buy in AGES! I'm currently in love with Menardo's 'Patchouli 24' for Le Labo, and am also drinking a lot of Lapsang Souchong, so I thought I'd give this a go and hope for the best!.....report to come soon...!

charlottesmom
charlottesmom

WTH?????? For the last 3 days I write out a nice huge discriptive reviews for Black and they NEVER show up! I write WTH??????? and it shows up!

I really like Black..... *heavy sigh!*

PávelHenry
PávelHenry

It has that particular gotic vanilla in the base.
Yes, gotic vanilla, is what makes me love this one.

jtis30
jtis30

2 notches toned down version of Oscar de la rente pour lui IMHO(a real 80's frag bomb). This is more wearable & a touch saltier. I wouldn't buy this but would wear.

Hollie
Hollie

At first sniff of my skin, I smell something very smokey...like cigarette laced hair or something.Almost immediately after,sweet tobacco and vanilla poke through. While I also detect the rubber smell, it is not overpowering to me. It's warm and comforting in my opinion,like an evening spent next to the fire,sipping scotch on the rocks ( and maybe there's a tire factory in your neighborhood.) Stays very close to my skin and does not last all that long....maybe an hour or two if I'm lucky. It also smells delicious on my husband.

frogman
frogman

The rubbery note with amber and leather, smell to me like some superstores in a good way. Imagine it is summer and you are trying to escape from heat wave ,sun and find a way into cooled large store which has tyre and auto section , while you are chilling somebody wearing amber and leathery perfume close to you....

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Ah, Bvlgari, I think I'm done testing your mostly nebulous perfumes...This one I can detect after 5 minutes have passed, unlike most Bvlgaris, but alas, I don't really want to. Even my perfume-sweetening skin chemistry cannot reduce or render inoffensive the unfortunate rubbery note in Black. The Lapsang Souchong tea note? Burnt rubber. The woods, amber, spices? Burnt rubber. Vanilla? Creme brulee left under the broiler for an hour might produce something evocative of this, although it's really just more rubber. Leather, musk? Not a chance, but something like a rubbish tip w/ burning tires. Bergamot, jasmine? Ehhhhh, maybe, if you put them into a rubber glove and tossed it into a bunsen burner. Just in case this was a perfume that might smell better on a guy---or basically, anyone with chemistry opposite to mine---I inveigled the boyfriend into trying it. I forgot about it, and when I got near him later I had a fleeting thought of "Is something wrong with one of the cars or the mower---he smells like he's been working on something mechanical in the garage." Then I recalled the Black perfume, and the "car tires" smell suddenly made sense. Definitely not in an alluring way, though...All that, and a bottle like a hockey puck. Ugh. Interesting, at best.

isi
isi

Por equivocación me rocié la piel con este perfume que le compre a mi esposo, debo decir que aunque dice ser unisex, es mas de hombre, aunque en determinadas y muy escogidas ocasiones lo puede usar una mujer. Quiero buscar algo similar a este aroma en femenino, porque me gusto. Vainilla y cuero huele rico ¡!!!

I accidentally sprayed perfume skin with this purchase that my husband, I must say that although claims to be unisex, it's more of a man, although in some very selected cases a woman can use it. I want to look something like this scent on women, because I like. Vanilla and leather smells good!

Grottola
Grottola

Bulgari Black sits up there with DK Men (Donna Karan) as a modern leather classic. The primarily Birch Tar-based brutal leathers of the early to mid 20th century eventually gave way to fragrances like Black. Black is a slightly smokey, rubbery leather that is complimented by a tea note, a signature of Bulgari's fragrances. It may be harsh to some people at first, but it grows on you quickly. It's unique, lasts a good while, and really doesn't have a gender, so you can wear it and make it your own unique scent.

And, what do you know? Black was composed by Annick Menardo, a genius perfumer (and a pretty hot babe as well). Black lasts a good while and all around smells great. Just try it if you haven't, for Pete's sake.

ian85

@ Euse, I don't agree with you: Le Mâle is very différent and I don't smell the similarities between those fragrances! Jpg is a "gourmand", very sweet one whereas Black is quite smokey... The vanilla notes are very different from the one to the other and I don't find any leather in Le Mâle nor lavender in Black!

Sweet, vanillic rubber. If that works for you, you should grab a bottle. However, I have read that there has been a reformulation and the newer bottles have a weaker rubber note. It's not for me in either case. Like "modern art," it may be best reserved for a museum experience.

Lucie23
Lucie23

I wanted to love this one but it is too cloying and sweet for me.
I don't get any of the rubber or anything much except warm amber-y sweetness.
I like it but there are other sweet warm fragrances which I much prefer.
If you do like it though they currently have the 75ml for £29.99 on TKMaxx website (UK).

cocobella
cocobella

to me it is very dark and sensuel. definitley a unisex perfume even if the masculin side overweighs a bit. nevertheless, i am going to buy this for me and my boyfriend. i will love to wear this with him. very sexy.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Tires burning on asphalt, a dump with smoking plastic. Shocking experience, what can and can`t be called a fragrance :O

6doggynipples
6doggynipples

Interesting rubber smell with vanilla but the scent is way too weak. Spray it all you want and it will never be noticed. If the strength was decent I might have considered buying a full bottle when my sample runs out.

pisces3774
pisces3774

Great fragrance, intended for both genders. Both husband and I have worn it and enjoyed it. Clean and warm.

ian85

I bought it whereas I didn't test it on my skin: fatal error! Each time I wear it I have an awful Headache...
A big disappointment...

Silhouette_
Silhouette_

Being a fan of the lapsang souchong tea, I find it quite easy not to think of tires and garages when I smell this. I don't get much of the alleged top notes, since this doesn't evolve in the traditional way - I can distinguish the smokey vanilla, tea, a hint of sandalwood and musky-leathery undertones. Black stays quite close to the skin and I actually tend to wear it more in warmer weather. As close to my signature as it can get, at least for the time being. I do wish it had more lasting power, though.

silentrich
silentrich

A smoky vanilla. I get the rubber smell in this and at first I didn't like it. After wearing it a few times it becomes addictive. Unusual fragrance that many consider a masterpiece. Don't buy it blind.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Youthful, rebellious and edgy with that smokin' black rubber accord which is pretty loud as it starts to warm on the skin.

Rubber aside, I love the sensual collage of notes in the background and would be happy with just that... smoky tea, bergamot, vanilla, woods, amber and subtle flowers--it's really hard to find just this in good balance.

Hot rubber softens a little on the drydown but still hovers like an oil slick on top of all the good stuff. I can't help but be put off at how synthetic this feels and don't like the idea of this on my skin. I guess that's the appeal though which I suppose is well done if you like the smell of a sexy mechanic.

While I still find Black to be extremely compelling, I think it has lost its original groundbreaking power.Since when it was initially released our sense of smell has been pushed to the limits by, sometimes questionable, stranger compositions (i.e.CDG's synthetic line, SMN Nostalgia, Secretions Magnifiques), and smelling Black today it's still an amazing experience but somehow less surprising.

Overall this is a great fragrance, distinctive and absolutely remarkable, but I don't get it as "bizarre", "dangerously mysterious" or "extreme" anymore. It smells more like a vintage rubber toy from your childhood left in a trunk for 20 years together with vanilla sticks. Sweet-stale-clean, but I still quite enjoy it.

Rating: 8.5-9/10

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

I've tried to like it, given it several chances, like a bad marriage. Sorry, can't do it... just keep being put off by the creamy vanilla base. Maybe I was beaten with vanilla pods as a child (supressed memory..) who knows.

tuturudka
tuturudka

Warm, sexy and strong, but not long lasting...I have the scent 4 hours on my skin and I'm very disappointed of this because I wanted for a long time and thought it's one of the best I can have for my taste.

hoddska
hoddska

what i liked about this was the strong lapsang Souchong scent it's always been a favorite tea of mine so it felt I had discovered a secret friend in a perfume. the tea scent doesn't last fades to a vanilla oriental very soft actually on me and not masculine at all. I always love a powder scent.....
guess it goes with the bvlgarie scents that have a tea base. Old World in feel actually and pretty straight to the point in what it offers. Sentimental reasons mean I'll probably get it and experiment with layering it with other scents.

cuncon888
cuncon888

on my skin, it takes 3h to get to the base note, during those 3h, i just can smell the leather note when i get too close to my skin, then when the dry down comes, its a really beautiful vanilla scent that ive ever known, sweet, soft, and warm, ppl must come so close to you to discover what that smell is, some say its like powder, in general, i love the base note
projection 8/10
longevity 8/10

MDWake8
MDWake8

This scent actually contains resin, hence the rubber wheel concept of the bottle. I think it dries down masculine but if you pair it with other BLV scents as they encourage, it marries nicely with any of the Tea fragrances; White, Red, or Green.

personagrata
personagrata

PURE SENSUALITY... I think i ve found my go-to scent when I am feeling really in the mood for love, as the song says...The only bvlgari that lasts on my skin and on the air for hours later...masculine at first, feminine then... I really like to think of me in a suit and a naughty kind of spirit wearing this and felling powerful and sensual at the same time, changing roles. Yes, it s all about tires at first but it is divine. I like everything about it... the packaging, the idea of a really unisex fragrance, the name...I am feeling so happy and grateful to this site as I ve found my "Weird" out of limits and provocative scent. Please, you boys and girls try it. I think I am gonna wear this a lot in the summer nights.. summer and spring, imo, suits it very much

JazzBirdSinger
JazzBirdSinger

i really like this, and again, i feel even tho this is marketed toward the boys, its more of a free for all.... i get smokey black tea and burning rubber....a must rty for those of you that love LL for men, rochas man, D & G 11 La force

krazyfizzy
krazyfizzy

a very warm, comforting and woody laid back fragrance..
easy going delicate smell, not too harsh.
I'll give it 7.5 / 10.
A must have. ;)

Brettyboy
Brettyboy

This has to be the biggest mistake in my 'blind buying' history. After reading so many positive comments regarding the eclectic notes and the 5 star review in Turins' book i was so excited about getting this. When i did finally smell it i could not have been more 'blah' about it. I dont get much of anything...the rubber, the vanilla,etc. To me it smells like having your hand on hot water bottle for a couple of minutes.

bhougland
bhougland

I wanted to love this fragrance. I have read all the reviews and have have read many times where someone will compare Bulgari Black to Fahrenheit; not in the scents themselves but the type of attitude you need to rock this juice. Lets just say I don't get that at all.

I am not sure if I get too much of the "rubber note" this one is known for, as all I get is vanilla. just a smooth vanilla. I actually tested this on paper, but then went back to the store a week later and did a skin test. Well, three hours later I can barely smell anything on my wrist.

Also, this is a unisex frangrance and I know why; anybody can rock vanilla. I don't dislike this scent but I don't find much interesting in it compared to say Versace the Dreamer or Le Male (I would say it is close to Le Male's dry down).

I will pass on this one even with the cheap prices on Ebay.

Venus6
Venus6

Black is a sexy dark scent, warm and comforting.
I love the smell of tire rubber, the leather, musk and vanilla dry- down.
Very unusual, unisex. Intriguing and mysterious scent...

guest_Frag
guest_Frag

Indeed smells like (nice) rubber and vanilla. Not bad at all. On the other hand I feel it might be a little gimmicky and possibly for younger people in their early 20s than me (or fetishists who frequent clubs called Torture Garden or such). It is nice and sweet but I wonder if a woman would appreciate the very black rubber note? It does smell nice...but also brings the term novelty to my mind. Not sure if it's a keeper or will go on Ebay yet.

Annica
Annica

The smell of tires is something my nose doesn´t capture in this fragrance but it would have been interesting if it did! I feel such a wonderful well-being when I wear it. It clicked immediately between me and Black. I can´t give it the review it deserves. I just feel that "this is me, an oriental-woody fanatic". It´s warm, romantic and exciting and rests on a beautiful amber-vanillabase. I adore this fragrance.
Thank you, Vertigo, for the sample.

crestfallen
crestfallen

This is actually a pretty nice scent perfect for spring time when the weather is still chilly. Real rubbery at the top but it mellows out in 15 minutes to a nice sweet semi vanilla and tire rubber smell. I know its sounds weird but its not bad. Its not something I would use often enough here in Texas to buy

cowboykenny27

I really wanted to like this one unfortunately the vanilla scent is too dominating and for me spoils the fragrance . Get rid of the vanilla and bring on the rubber! Its a real shame taht so many scents are ruined by a sweet powdery vanilla sweet base - yuk !

diorshowman
diorshowman

The infamous Bvlgari Black.Yes, I definitely get that rubber note and yes, I get the vanilla, but beyond that its a NO from me. As a composition, it is very well done, but as a scent, I'm going to have to pass on it.To me, this is a very annoying fragrance, perhaps because of that rubber note always hanging around in the background. In the beginning, the rubber note is very dominant, but as it dries down, the rubber smell blends in with the vanilla, but never blends completely and is always lingering around.For some reason people call this their "comfort scent"...how rubber is comforting is beyond me.

Longevity:C
Projection:C
Uniqueness:A
Versatility:B
OVERALL: B-

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

Yikes, love it or hate it, it is polarizing. Tres urban!

It does straddle both sides of the fence for me (I'm not running for office!). Some days/ nights I love it and some other occasions it wears on me (no pun intended)!

Okay, the rubber/plastic is either brilliant or just God awful (should not take the name of the Lord in vain over such a trivial matter but...). Vanilla over a rubber hose?

I do not really find the top/ middle/ heart/ base here . It sorta of hits you all at once. Yes, slightly butch for the femmes but I it depends on what you have up your...!

The night time is the right time here. And...no Spring/ Summer. Wear this in good health over the cooler months.

I vote...a keeper with questions to be answered at a later point in time.

igork
igork

I don't know but a friend of mine was wearing this scent I hated the smell it was gross. Dark scent combined of tobacco, vanilla and musk. I tried once on my self it was 50/50 I hated it still but I liked it the quality of the scent.

martind18
martind18

I thought this one was especially awful. To me, it smells like a child's brand new action figure. It's not tire rubber as much as it is plastic toy rubber. I have a very sensitive sense of smell, and this actually gave me a headache. I couldn't wait for it to go away.

zara
zara

This one is a winner. Probably the best Bvlgari creation. Pitched as unisex (and rightly so), it is sought out by both women and men.
The contradiction between its mainstream availability and its strangeness is what makes it an affordable gem.
Emulating the shape of a rubber hockey puck, it offers the scent of burning smok lapsang chuong tea, with hints of vanilla and dirty rubber. The ingredients indicate that it is not to everyone's taste, but if agreeing with the chemistry, it is intoxicating. A must try for all those who like darker tea and leathery stuff.

rockindave
rockindave

Totally unique, I really like this one; I don’t get the rubber (apart from the packaging!); but up front I certainly do get lots a nose full of lapsang souchon tea (pine smoked tea) which dries down to a vanilla / pine / cedar base. It is not the longest-lasting fragrance on me (not much left after lunch-time), but I’ve paid more for fragrances that vanish a whole lot quicker!

I enjoy wearing this during the day on business trips to Melbourne and Sydney as it seems to fit with the whole cosmopolitan big-city vibe. Very modern and non-generation-specific, this is the only bvlgari fragrance in my collection. My only gripe is that the old container with the fixed lid was great for travel, the latest bottle with the detachable lid is not quite as good as the lid can come astray easily.

SAMaura
SAMaura

I tried this about a month ago just to see what all the fuss is about, you know, the rubber smell and all. Anyways, for about the first 10 minutes after application, all I could smell was rubber, with a little bit of smoke. Not an overpowering rubber scent. Not like a car tire, but more like some kind of rubber toy that you might find a 1 yr old playing with.

After the rubber fades away, your left with a very mellow vanilla, smokey scent, which hugs onto your body. A definite powdery, synthetic type of smell during this phase.

I went ahead and purchased Bvlgari Black, partly because I got it so cheap. Overall, I do like this fragrance. If only the top notes would linger around longer.

Cereza
Cereza

This made me sick. Really. I would never like to wear this myself and dear lord don't want my men to smell like this either. So - where's the problem? It's rubber. It smells like, ehem, condoms "in action". Maybe some of you understand what I'm trying to say and actually now HOW that smells. So, first I get that. But no, it's not the part that made me sick. I got sick from the heart and drydown, which is so sickly sweet and powdery that I wasn't able to bear it. Sweet. Ultra sweet. And the rubber. No.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

To be honest, it just smells like soap. A far too soapy kind of soap.

BUT, it goes great with Jean Paul Gaultier le male, they are completely opposite, but you can mix Bvlgari black with something sweet or fruity to get a musky/fruity effect. It has to be strong though for Black to compliment it that well.
Also it might be intersting with Blue Stratos or if you blind buy a rubbish citrus generic scent you can try it with that, but I dont think Bvlgari black can be worn on its own by someone with very similar tastes to myself.

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Vanilla and rubber with tea. There's something great about it but it's not very complex nor does it last long. That's why you can get it for about $30

Aredore
Aredore

While Black is renowned for its rubber/leather accord, at its core this perfume is essentially a traditional oriental, clouded in the same powdery mist as Shalimar. The offbeat “burned rubber” accord weaves in and out of a vanilla extract base, all wrapped in a powdery haze of cedar, jasmine and fleeting hint of citrus. A dark and romantic scent, Black is lightly sweet, sleek and modern.

guest_piazza dei signori
guest_piazza dei signori

Worn when it was launched. The staying power it was good on my skin, clearly a gender bender blent, with citrusy, tea aspects combine with what i read in other reviews like a rubbery feeling. Sorry, i don't like to smell like a tire in a garage, even if it's a favorite perfume of Angelina Jolie. I found it a not well blented mediocrity. Bulgari fortunately has done other much better scents.

scentous
scentous

sweet smoky rubbery opening is a bit like the opening of shalimar which makes this scent very unique but that's all, opening is very short and the rest is linear ordinary sweet vanilla..perhaps a hint of leather note and amber creates a little motion..more on the feminine side than masculine to me but I may like this on a man too..longevity is moderate..this is a really different scent among the female perfumes of BVG as most of them are known to be elegantly feminine..definitely a different bvlgari..

Lottis
Lottis

Absolutely the best I've tried this year.
It is so lovely, soft, warm, smoky, cozy and powdery....gorgeous!!!!
I just love love it!
I like to wear it myself, but it would be better to cuddle with someone who wears it.
Try it!

Last long on me :))

periquito89
periquito89

My hopes wasn't that hight, but I also wasn't expecting get tired of it quickly. The rubber effect is interesting, as well as the bottle, but become annoying after a few uses to the point of makes Givenchy Pi more wearable and, yes, pleasant. At least for me.

anaaranha
anaaranha

I love, love it! It's so sexy, so warm, such a pretty fragrance, that I finally bought one bottle for my personal use, but instead I gave it to my husband... It's so much better to smell a fragrance that I love in someone I love too!

janudy
janudy

This is gorgeous. Is it cliche to feel like I should be wearing black leather when I have this on? I don't get a rubber note, thank God, to me this smells like the tin of Lapsang Souchon tea leaves that I have (real leaves, not in a bag). It's a smoky black tea scent with a touch of leather that dries down to include a vanillic base. I have not smelled anything like it.

hapa
hapa

I got this today in the post and was very excited about it. Having read so many reviews raving about it as well as how Angelina Jolie wears it, I was intrigued.

It was a 5 ml sample bottle that I procured and so there was no spray nozzle on the top but a stopper, which I opened and sniffed before placing on my wrists. The rubber note hit me in the face like a tire and then I smelled the smoke from the tires, the metal from the body of the car and finally the vanilla from the very expensive air freshner inside this luxury olfactory vehicle. Then the hot male who was driving this vehicle hugged me. My nose then caught a whiff of what smelled like hot leather car seats in the sun and the car window the sun was shining through. Then I died and went to heaven.

This fragrance is just like Angelina Jolie: each part of these two respective beauties would make you stop in your tracks but the totality of their parts is deadly, but in a breathtaking way. So please but do so sensibly!

VirtualT
VirtualT

I loved this cologne from the moment I put it on until I sprayed again later in the night because the smell is so luxurious.
As of some other of the reviews, I find this scent very masculine and mysterious, I'm not sure where the "rubber" comes from, I think the initial notes are quite spicey, mellowing to vanilla and light floral tones.

BIG
BIG

This has become my 3rd favorite fragrance and why did it take me so long to discover it??? The rubber tyre accord is there and the amazing drydown, which as time goes by, transitions into a vanilla-cedar combo. This scent evokes a sense of mystery and intrigue, maybe even darkness, but how can you not surrender when it begs you to do so. I certainly did!

DC-8
DC-8

Resembling rubber scent by top notes are not that much true, I believe. However, not a very pleasant scent, but yet pretty lovely and not offensive or annoying at all. This part of the scent, disappears so quickly within just a few minutes, fortunately.

The second phase as the heart notes launch, becomes a sweet powdery vanilla scent in a really attractive shape.

Drydown notes become same as the middle notes, which are more powdery, milder and would all the time pamper you, indeed. Leather, vanilla, musk and amber are very harmonically present, keeping you enjoying from every little sniff of this scent.

Though many might say it's for chill season, but I love it in the heat as well, it works even better on my skin by then. the complexion of vanilla/leather/musk is really stunning and beckoning on!

Longevity appears pretty satisfactory: 5 whiffs worked out for 10+ hours and still totally present and not close to the skin.

Romantic and nice scent; Just one irresistible masterpiece and I was really pleased.

Okay perfumees, there is nothing else quite like Bvlgari Black. On my skin, it starts with a blast of the infamous "rubber" powdery note. It's like I just walk into a tire shop. I dislike it but, at least, it smells better than a brand new tire. I can't believe there is bergamot in here neither! My nose just can't find it. It's just powdery warm and rubbery...

Once I get pass it, the scent turns into leathery smoky vanilla. It's subtly sweet and sexy. Oddly enough, it smells really nice. Even though I am not a fan of powdery/smoky note nor seeing myself use this everyday, I am still glad that I have it. It is one of a kind!

vilma
vilma

This is a fragrance where you have to give time for the smell to develop. After a couple of hours it reaches really nice tones. I bought one bottle of this perfume in the duty free shop traveling from UK to USA. All other shops do not sell this perfume any more. I really do not now why Bvlgari decided to discontinue it. For me it is just a beautiful creation.

Jupiter_
Jupiter_

I'm very grateful Bvlgari for this fragrance! Really greate smell, but it's so pity that it doesn't last long(

Floritica64
Floritica64

Another great fragrance by the house of Bvlgari. You know, when you do something very well it shows.

cowboykenny27

Finally got round to buying a bottle of this Like all bvlgari black doesnt last very long on my skin. its very light on my skin. A smoky, powdery, musky, vanilla. It would be better if the scent lasted a bit longer all i get after 30 min is a sweet vanilla drydown - yuk!

oopsfauxpas
oopsfauxpas

i love this perfume, for two simple reasons: i love the smell of new rubber, and i love the smell of tea.

black isn't perfect. what kastehelmi (sorry if i got your name wrong - you're a long way up from here.) says about the sweetness is dead on. for me, that sweetness is what's left at the end of black's skin life. but i don't like it.

but for me black is absolutely indispensible, or indispensable, or impossible without which to do. it is one of my "cheap and cheerful" kit - inexpensive perfumes that can really do great things for other perfumes. i have 3 that are magic, and this is one. i have been stunned at the ability of perfume combining to make perfume A smell exactly like the perfection it aimed for and just missed, or perfume B smell the same but for longer, with a wider sillage berth, perfume C that has failed the 4 spritz, 4 different times, at least 4 days apart test, but you paid so much money for it you really can't afford to not like it...

"cheap and cheerful" and you're back in business. you know about black - the rest of the kit is not for sale. if you give mixing w/black a try, remember that while like can enhance and add to like, an addition of dissonance can help to define a perfume that just needs a little focus.

everyone should have a little black tire to roll out when they need a little help with their little black dress.

kittymoon
kittymoon

Come on guys and dolls, this is not burnt rubber you smell here! It's lacquer and leather at it's best. Combined with the sweet seductive smell of a high-heeled, blond bombshell with firery red lipstic, cracking her whip!

So sexy, so naughty, so forbidden fantasy!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

I had been wanting to try this one for long enough, thanks for the sample Persephone!

Bvlgari Black drew my attention not because of the odd modern bottle (not bad, but not attractive)-nor the Angelina Jolie talk (blablabla...)

I love the smell of tire rubber-not burnt rubber--fresh rubber-I am not sure I like that smell on me, but I had to try this to see if I would have the same experience as so many others.

Well...I smell a bit of rubber, and I like it-but this is even sweeter than I imagined it would be. It's kind of a shame, because the rubber-tea-amber mishmash might smell wonderfully different in a good way if it were more dry and serious. So I get a creamy vanilla with some masculine notes(a weak tea, fresh rubber, a manly amber...) This is unisex-but it smells like a sweet fragrance just made for men (which it is?)-and I don't like my man smelling sweet. This isn't offensive, but it's not so attractive to me either-maybe if somebody has the chemistry to make this smell less like a mechanic in an ice cream truck, this could be great.

ktv0926
ktv0926

Love vanilla in the dry down, love the intoxicating opening which reminds me fresh paint smell, love the masculine bottle.

taydev
taydev

wow. this is a unique fragrance but its not for me. i think the rubberiness was just too overpowering and its the main scent i smell.

truffles
truffles

Was wanting to smell this for ages as kept hearing how strange and unusual it was and how Angelina Jolie wore it.
Tried it on at an airport the other day and found that, no, it isn't some transcendental or spacewoman-like scent, or a 'male' smell which I had half expected.
My impression was simply rubber-incense-floral.
The 'rubberiness' wasn't overpowering or unpleasant - just a tinge at the edge.
The incense was quite a prominent feature but the lasting element was floral, a warm,conventional, but not sickly or spicy, floral.
So, nothing out of this world here.
I would say 'well-to-do middle-aged hippy woman' sums it up for me.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I sampled this a few days ago and liked it enough to send off for a mini. For a commercial scent, it's unique. Initially it has a fuzzy note that reminds me of something very, very old. The pagan spirit that's been living inside an old dry tree since the beginning of time, the inside of an old train station, or the encrustations on the bottom of an old car that's been through every sort of weather on every sort of road. I didn't get the "rubber tire" smell that so many people describe, or maybe I just have a different image of it. Eventually the "old" smell wears off and it dries down to a fairly conventional ambery scent, heavy on the vanilla. I'm sure I'll wear this from time to time when I want a change from the usual.

gyrro
gyrro

there are probably at least two versions of this .. in the latter, i can definitaly smell the `rubber` acccent, and alhought some may dislike it, i`m just loving it as a modern nonordinary note, finishing at mostly vanilla sweet goodness, which i like a lot when balanced well .. and this is ... i like the `urban` description, can imagine to have this mini in my car ... to amplify the modern feeling in 250 hps leather interior ....

good longevity and average to more then average sillage ...

sashenka
sashenka

I'm usually not one to separate fragrances by gender, but I really can't see this as unisex and can't understand why most stores carrying it insist on placing it in the mens' section. It's just too...sugar and spice and everything nice. I somehow get cinnamon, vanilla, those dry chips of wood in home fragrance satchels, and clove cigarettes(BEFORE you start smoking them.) Absolutely no idea what the "rubber/tire" thing is about, except maybe for a split millisecond at the beginning. And maybe this will be a ridiculous comparison to some, but it reminds me of a very down-to-earth "Angel". "Angel" sans fards, so to speak.

lulu88
lulu88

This is for EDT version: what a bore!
Smells to me mostly as a mediocre drugstore grade men cologne...
The famous "smoky tire" scent is barely present and disintegrates too quickly.

hollycat
hollycat

Like all the BVG scents this doesnt last very long on my skin. It has all the ingredients that made me want to try it asap. Surprisingly its very soft on my skin. A smoky, powdery, musky, vanilla. It would be a keeper if it lasted more than a half hour.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

Strange fragrance. Just the strangest smell, but still I can understand why people are wearing this one. It is smokey, kind of leathery smell. I can see how a darkhaired and strong lady on a motorbike will wear this one.

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

A very unique fragrance, truly a masterpiece by bvlgari in it's own way, but but for me it's a little bit dissappointment. i expected a lot from this fragrance but it didn't satisfy me. It has a very unique smoky rubber opening, there is a marked evolution of notes from top to bottom, it gradually turns into a smooth calm soft vanilla fragrance. sillage and projection is poor but longevity is moderate. i love the bottle and packaging. i would like to rate it 7 out of 10 for its unique opening and great bottle.

vioversilver
vioversilver

I really did'nt know what to expect from this fragrance , what I did'nt want was the rubber alot of people got from this , especially burnt rubber - that truly is a nasty smell - so I went ahead and ordered a mini bottle in case things did'nt work out for me with B.Black, which by the way initially attracted me by its rather 'industrial' look and name - ( I was a major tomboy growing up and still am in many ways)

Well ,I love this ! - no rubber at all,this is actually smells alot like the sweet tea I make here at home all the time , black tea brewed real strong, plenty of sugar , chilled , served in a big tall glass with lots of ice, and then the finishing touch - a slice of freshly cut lemon perched on the lip of the glass - that is my first impression of this fragrance - then as it sits on my skin it gets warmer with what seems like a clean burning fire smell that ...just simply works so well, period. Awesome.

So there, maybe not luxury car smell for me , or car tire ,( at the most maybe a extemely faint suggestion of motor oil that has sat on a concrete floor for ages, which I myself , weird as it may sound, finds appealing) no, this is so very good, and yes, very sexy in a totally uncoventional way -on a woman especially so.

My opinion is that not every woman is going to be able to carry this well,(or even want to try or wear a unisex frag like this) its one of those scents that need a certain persona to handle it and make it work.

This is a heavy type scent that I will make sure to apply sparingly , too much ,this could get ugly and overpowering - but really ,that's the case with most perfumes.

dacha
dacha

I bought it cheap on the strength of the reviews, and in the end the rubber smell is what defines it for me. It's a not very special vanilla that uses the rubber, mascerading a little as the pungent leather of Knize Ten. It deserves some kudos for being out there and pushing the rubber angle, but I don't think it's a great scent, after the shock value it's very ho-hum and I can't imagine ever buying another bottle.

eranaral
eranaral

A car shop scent. Smells like car tire and a hint of gasoline and rotten apple juice. lasts well. and yess it is unisex, who are we to say if a tire is a male or female?
On me, the tart rotten apple juice comes out too loud, but I have smelled this on others and on them, it was a comforting warm tire/leather smell. The lasting power is really good too.

urobian
urobian

i cant say that is a unisex fragance, because always are oriented to be in one side, in this case to "women", anyway is not my kind of fragance; the rubber smell is very strong, but the other side of the aromatic wall is very organic with the vanilla and some spicy/herbal angle. finally is a vanillic-linear fragance with a soft and natural way.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

This smells like the interior of new expensive cars! Bvlgari Black seems undoubtedly masculine to my senses. There's a warmth and opulence here seldom found in fragrances for men, but there's no mistaking it whatever Bvlgari claim; it's a boy, and a rich boy too!

BB works with elegant suits. It doesn't need bling though some fierce cufflinks might work. What does it need? a fast car and a killer bedroom, somewhere with a decorous touch of rubber!

Adiro
Adiro

My first review, and not a positive one.... I purchased this yesterday for my husband, who is in love with fast cars... today I returned it. I fell for the ads, I fell in love with the idea of a modern, urban sexy perfume, fast cars, wild life and burning tires... but when I smelled it...uh!
My nose picks up the strongest imaginable rubber smell, mixed up with an equally strong vanilla note... and that sums up this perfume.
As a child I had car sickness, and each and every time I had to go somewhere by car, I would be sick like a dog. This perfume succeeded in making me car sick, while on my sofa. My dear husband didn't have a chance to try it, because I could not bear the idea of smelling it for more than once....
On a side note, incredibly tenacious, I could still smell it on my wrist after a few washes
Original, very very unexpected, unusual and thanks God, not a popular scent!

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I bought this for my husband - but he claims he cannot smell it at all - so probably doesn't realise how often I wear it! It's subtle but distinctive blend of warm rubber, tea and baby powder on me. It's so comforting - especially in the winter. I grew up in a freezing cold house and this is the smell of my childhood hot waterbottle - made gorgeous!

guest_Federais
guest_Federais

A perfect EDT for the night. It's a mix of wood, rubber, tea and car tire. A fragance that distinguish the men from the boys.

Nausicaä
Nausicaä

Black starts out very rubbery and masculine but still sweet (in a not at all overpowering way). It reminds me of changig the tires on your car, and I wonder what people who works with engines would think of this smell. Then it gets me thinking of what a perfume is - how far can one go before somethig is no longer a perfume? Is this rubbery sweet scent something one should call perfume? (It is almost like the fragrance library scents - should "Fireplace" or "Condenced milk" really be called or used as an perfume?)
But then, after an hour or so Black has worn off into someting soft and perfume-y. Every note is weaker, and the more subtle vanilla-y sweatness comes forward while the rubber hides in the background. It lingers on the skin and does not at all smell dirty or oily, but soft and comforting.

Black is a really unique scent, and it is a pity that the stores no longer sell this. It's sillage is not overpowering, and the longivety is good. And even though it is masculine in the beginning, it becomes more unisex after a while because of the sweetness.
I would recomend this for a young daring guy who is tired of all the "sport" fragrances or a confident woman who loves being special.

1blondeangel
1blondeangel

I received a small sample of this in the mail. The contents had spilled all over the envelope. When I opened the envelope, I wasn't that impressed but then as I was doing my chores, I was thinking of that unique scent of leather, vanilla and something I couldn't put my finger on until reading the reviews but it's definitely rubber! To me it's not intense but you know it's there in the beginning. As it mellows, the spice and leather flows into a little floral. The scent is so unique and addicting that it kept me coming back for more! Throughout the day I was running to the envelope inhaling the sexy combination of aromas. If a man wore this around me, I might get into trouble! I am that hooked on it! I haven't tried it on my skin yet but can't wait! I think it is definitely a unisex scent and I'm buying a bottle for both my hubby and I to share! Thank you Bvlgari!

Brumen

how nice! Today I wore black to work and a customer gave me compliments: 'Francis, you smell good' ... I was embarrassed and was pleasantly surprised by how strong the study. smoked,leather, but on my skin I can smell the notes of jasmine to the base note, even after 5 hours jasmine persists

vdxl
vdxl

This is an urban oriental: like a combination ( regarding the concept) between a DKNY and a french-designed oriental: Opium, Jaipur. The overall effect is that of spicy rubber, not to sweet, but warming, synthetic but artistic and pleasant. Annick Menardo designs nice oriental fragrances( remember Jaipur, Diesel Zero Plus), and this is no exception. However, to me it is a masculine fragrance due to the mix of the "rubber" feel, spicyness and dryness.

Gosh
Gosh

I purchased a bottle of Bvlgari Black online because it is dc and I wouldn't forgive myself if I could never try it. This is really very strange, edgy unusual fragrance and I love it. Unfortunately it turned out really masculine on my skin so I wasn't sure if I could wear it. I tried it on my boyfriend and decided to buy at least 2 more bottles!! With right chemistry this one is simply divine. Still very unusual but also warm, very sexy and smokey leathery vanilla drydown is to die for. Silage is light, but present and staying power for EdT excellent (good 12 hrs)!
I really don't understand why is it dc.

jae
jae

I tried this back in late `98 - early `99. I didn't like that rubbery smell, but I received good responses. I found Gucci Envy for Men, which I find similar in some ways,to suit me more. The reactions reflected that also.

Zaleska
Zaleska

Wonderful and sexy rubbery-vanilla scent! It's a masterpiece from bottle to the juice itself!

Tarya
Tarya

Miss Shalimar wears a rubbersuit.
I had just a high expectations for this perfume(and not only because this had 5 stars on the book Perfumes -the Guide by Sanchez and Turin) And 'cause I usually like strong and loud perfumes (Opium, Poison, Balahe) This just doesn't settle nicely to my skin and doesn't smell pleasant nor interesting. Strange combination of vanilla and rubber.

mushichka
mushichka

it is much more masculine than i expected. interesting scent for sure, but needs to be tried for longer before buying. initially i had just a 3 ml vial and was in love with it but later on the rubber came too strong for me and nowdays i cant stand it.

mariotgomez

I consider this my "urban" scent. It's Friday and I will be staying in the city (San Francisco) after work to have drinks with friends. This scent can take me from office to going out with friends to a bar.

Aalia
Aalia

I suppose my review will differ from all the others....just love the Crash reference andyray...

To start, the opening notes are thin and watery, and I kept thinking of licorice! In the top notes comes this scent of rubber, and itś so right on-a perfect smell of rubber tires and road tar. The rubber scent fades quickly and the perfume becomes intensely sweet on me, with many spicy notes dancing around in the sweetness! I am going to try this for a longer period, and see if I can discern the other notes listed in the pyramid, and all this sexy magnetism most reviewers are talking about!

woodlandwalk

I know this perfume very well. It used to be a kind of signature scent for me and recently I've started to wear it again because it's an all time classic - smoky, warm, sweet, salty, driftwoody and comforting in the dry-down. It won't appeal to women who prefer light floral or fruity perfumes.

Can I point out - this was designed by a woman (Annick Menardo) with women in mind. It maybe came out a a time (late 90s) when women were wanting something lighter or fruitier so they re-marketed it to men. Now that more edgy and smoky or darker fragrances are on the way back this might appeal to more women. I personally don't love the scent of rich vanilla on a man, though maybe the smoky saltiness in this perfume could make that work. On a man the drier qualities would come out more I imagine.

What I love about this perfume is it's definitive smell, it feels really well structured and you can layer it with essential oils. If I want it more romantic I'll wear it with a simple rose otto, which smells delicious and is already subtly in the notes anyway. (when I wore it that way a guy I was dating at the time couldn't stop sniffing my neck - also an ex boyfriend adored BB so much he liked to keep my empty bottles to remember me when I was away - powerful stuff!) if I feel comfortable being more edgy (going to a contemporary art exhibition in winter or something like that) then I'll add a touch of vetiver to my skin and that makes it harder, more smoky, dark and mysterious

Also it really reminds me of Lapsang Souchong tea (think that's the tea the that the tea note is based on) L.S. is amazingly smoky and is great with loose leaf earl grey tea - add just a tiny sprinkle of lapsang souchong to the pot - beautifully refreshing.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

I don't smell rubber, but I do detect a smokey wood scent. Like firewood.... and I feel it's a cooler weather scent for that reason. I like it even more on men because it's interesting and unique. Everything about it evokes memories and thoughts about a man. I'd rather smell something this complex which draws you in.

jasonx
jasonx

I tested this one side by side with Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. This one is really like a water down version of Lolita dry down and not as interesting, deep and rich plus a little salty effect. Kinda boring,just like all of Bvlgary scents.

guest_Nitequeen
guest_Nitequeen

This one smells great on my boyfriend and it's definetly masculine.. don't let the leather note scare yea cuz that's what makes it sexy on men with the dry-down of amber, vanilla and sandalwood ...very unique

orbicon
orbicon

Hot rubber with a soft amber and vanilla drydown. This is such an unsusual scent. Nothing else like it. Another Bvlgari original.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I think you'll either like Bvlgari Black right away, or you won't ever like it at all. It doesn't strike me as a taste that you can acquire if it didn't make a positive first impression.

I loved it the first time I tried it on my skin. It is warm and comforting and sexy, but at the same time, unique and avant garde. I don't get a pronounced rubber note from this one, just something a bit sweet, a bit chemical-smelling, but very pleasant and short-lived. After that, Black becomes a honeyed floral with wafts of powdery amber.

I do think this is a unisex scent, and I recognized it as one that a male friend of mine wears, but my husband felt it was too sweet for his own use.

It's easily tested at a department store or via a sample vial. Give it a good try on your skin to determine if it suits you.

azuriiita
azuriiita

Very interesting fragrance, and definitively a good unisex :) Its really sexy.
A very good and appropriate selection for relaxing and confident people... i like it a lot, i want it¡¡¡ :)

Every time I see this fragrance in the stores, it is almost always placed in the male fragrance department. For people that don't follow fragrance like a religion, one would assume that it is a male fragrance rather than unisex.

I was compelled to try Bvlgari Black after reading that it was a popular and unique fragrance which women seemed to enjoy wearing. As a fan of everything unique, I tried this in a store yesterday. I was not game enough to spray on my skin, so I tried it on a tester card.

There was an immediate blast of sharp rubber and leather, which left me surprised but not repulsed. However, in only a few minutes the scent changed to a sweet honey and car tyre rubber scent. I was horrified by this combination. Before this fragrance had become repulsive, I would have suggested that Bvlgari Black was a unique and masculine perfume, but the sweetness of the honey made it, in my opinion, far too sweet for a man and too disgusting for a woman to wear.

I've never had such a bad reaction to fragrance in my life. With every sniff I would shudder, gag and almost pass out. Perhaps this is one of those love it or hate it type of fragrances. There is no doubt that I absolutely hated this.

EDIT:
I have re-visited Black, and I must say it isn't as bad as how I had perceived it two years ago. It's still rubbery and sweet, however the scent is much more pleasing to my now trained nose. I have removed this fragrance from my dislike list.

mirror

I know I wrote a positive review earlier but I since then I have only wore it once and I am never going to again!

When it had completely dried down the rubber went almost completely away when I sampled it on my arm. That's why my first review was positive. But when actually wearing, it gets on your clothes and the rubber is present all day.
Basically I smelled like I've had a rub fest with car tires and added a tiny bit of vanilla.
I did not feel comfortable wearing it and neither did the people around me. It is the first perfume ever that I got negative comments on.
I had some males testing it because I wanted to give it to them. None of them liked it and honestly I did not like it on men either...

My advice: If you are looking for that dark, misterious and dusty kind of sexy definitely go for STRIP instead of black!

Brumen

In Italy is not available, in a trip i've found it in Madrid. It's very elegant e precious, like the bottle a fantastic idea. I bought all in shop ahahahhah :)

Mals86
Mals86

I took a big chance and tried Black recently, and was so impressed that I bought a mini. It's totally fascinating: tea! smoke! leather! rubber! vanilla! amber! Whoever thought this baby up was a GENIUS. Yeah, it's that good.

I'm normally a Floral Girl -- in fact, the girlier the better, in terms of fragrances -- but I think this one is truly unisex. (Just reading over the reviews here, I notice that some say "can't imagine this on a man" and some "can't imagine this on a woman," which is a great indication that it could swing either way, depending on your perception.) On me, it mostly circles through tea/amber and vanilla, with brief stops at "new bicycle tire" rubber. The leather, wood, and jasmine stay faint and constant underneath.

It is surprisingly sexy. I would think that it would be too much in hot weather, but for cold weather it's very enjoyable.

mirror

Indeed it is mysterious. It is only for winter use though, maybe a cold autumn day but it will definitely make you sick if it is not cold and foggy!
But if the day and occasion it right the fragrance can be unusually beautiful; dark, warm and seductive.
Btw I hate the way it smells for the first hour or so. The rubber is way too dominant then.
I guess I wouldn't like it on a man, there is too much vanilla.

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

Unusual and very niche, this is a feral vanilla with smoke & exotic tea. The idea of the rubber note worried me a little, but this isn't a dripping wetsuit rubber, it's far more refined, and the vanilla & tea are the predominant notes for me. I really like this, it dries down to a subtle powdered amber with pure vanilla bean and wafts of resinous smoke. As others have noted, Bvlgari are masters of blending, a truly classy perfume house who aren't afraid to push the boat out of the safe waters so many modern perfume houses paddle around in.

I got the chance to try this because Boggi was lovely enough to send me a decant from her new bottle. Thank you, Boggi - this now goes on my wants list! :)

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

Black is a rich, mysterious scent with a distinct edginess, wherein the creamy sweetness of vanilla, amber and tree resins glows from beneath a veil of a purported black tea note, lending a smoky tartness.
Another great concept fragrance by Bulgari which I consider one of the best non-niche fragrance brands nowadays because of the vast amount of creativity and uncompromised high quality which is reflected in their products, while maintaining an image of reserved luxury and class that is free from hype.

Boggi
Boggi

I deleted my old review because it was a poor attempt to review this top perfume;
I tested it in a store before christmas. After that I bought a mini and now I finally have a big bottle. This one is a very unique scent and could might as well come from a niche brand and be very exepencive. Black is climbing very high on my favorite list.
To me it is masculine, but I dare to wear it anyway. The rubber smell is strange, but at the same time very sexy. A sweet, funky smell I love to sniff on my jacket when I go out the door. Very high coolness factor.

snobuni77
snobuni77

Ahh Yes this is wonderful.Creamy...rubber & vanilla.I do think this is more for a women but I would still eat a man up that had this on.

The bottle reminds me of a race car wheel centered with glass & maybe that is why the leather smells like rubber to me but either way it is delightful

The florals in this are light but they do exist & sit quietly behind the vanilla rubbery lusciousness.....

Grrrr is right F_A ;)

leonora84
leonora84

One of my fellows bought this for himself, on my advice. I wanted this too, but I was afraid of a real unisex fragrance. It was so unoffensive on him, that I bought it too. In Hungary it is extremely cheap in discount stores. i think that's because it is too manly for women, and too feminine for men. At least they think so. I never dare to wear it out of my home, but it is such a long-lasting comforting sandalwoody vanilla, that I should try it "in real life" too. I have a big tester bottle of this, and I treasure it. Maybe one day, as I will feel myself totally feminine and sexy, I will wear this, because it's not for those days, where you are not uber-femme. It Has a masculine edge, but a good one. I rather feel play-doh, no rubber.

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

My favorite Bvlgari scent thus far out of what I've tried (all the Omnias, BLV, BLV Notte) and I LOVE it!!

The first five minutes of rubber & smoke are, in my opinion, the only masculine part of this fragrance. I don't mind them, I actually like them because it reminds me a little of the opening of Angel without being as camphorous.

The jasmine, sandalwood, leather, amber, & vanilla take over from there. I smell them all over and over at different times. Each time I smell it I get a different note, and that's one of the things I like about it.

Staying power is great - lasts all day! My boyfriend loves it on me. Try before you buy - but I doubt you'll be disappointed even if you do! :)

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

I am a woman who likes wearing Black perfumes. Of all the blacks, this one is for me. I wear suits daily and it just fits me to a T. People associate the perfume with me now and they hardly know it is for men ! Many find it beautiful and sexy. I spray only once in the morning.

LaLoLa
LaLoLa

I'm a female and on my skin, there's absolutely nothing rubbery or cloying about this scent. It's a really chic and classy scent, perfectly unisex.

Goes on very brash, almost cloying. It immediately starts to settle down into a sort of make-up-and-perfume combo. I end up with mostly a lovely rich musk, with the--hallelujah!--promised smoky tea notes, a little oakmoss to keep it like face-powder and the amber vanilla to smooth into velvet. Somewhere along the line there's a black-pepper note that has to be cedar perverted by its companions, but it fades down to the background. Spicy, creamy, round with the rosewood (too bad that's endangered, it's one of my favorite notes,) this is just lovely. I don't know if it's a statement maker, but it's a wrist-sniffer, so who cares? I smell delicious.

Robert White
Robert White

Simply one of the best out there. Reeks of style, never oppressive, always in good taste (at least to me) This perfume and eyeliner wearin' straight boy says check it out.

asfa
asfa

i think tha best perfume for bulgary collection,its so sexy and dark i take it 20 botles+ for shops last 10 years.all mans mast have its in collection for extra nicths.sorry for bad englise

violetteviridian
violetteviridian

I finally had the guts to test this one out yesterday. After all the bad reviews I had read online I was hesitant to subject myself to being repulsed by the burned rubberlike scent everyone seems so het up about. So, needless to say I didn't think I would love it. WOW! I was SOOOOO wrong! It's fabulous! something about my chemistry turns it wonderfully. Yes, I did totally detect the burned rubber thing at first- but it seems far more floral than like actual rubber. The fresh top notes of bergamot and tea seem to bring you back for seconds... you keep after- in the attempt to identify the origin of just "what in the woooorld!" are you smelling? The mid notes of jasmine, sandalwood and cedar intensified on me and lasted all day. While the base notes added a sexy allure to it's earthy sweet/spicy dry down. Absolutely stunning and completely captivating. Bvlgari's Black is unlike anything i've ever worn and I am HOOKED! Wear this anytime you want to be totally original and unforgettable.

ccr727
ccr727

I picked up this cologne simply because I liked the bottle. I've also worn another Bvlgari scent before and it was great. It works for me. I'm not good at describing scents so I looked up the notes on Fragrantica to see what it was all about. This is a good a place to find out about colognes for guys like me who know little about whats in a cologne. I guess the leather and the scents of car tires and woods is what I like so I made a good choice. I'll rate it a 4out of 5.

melozberk
melozberk

I like this perfume so much since years, never substituted with anything else. I like to wear on me rather than smelling on a man. For me it's very sincere and warm, spicy but definitely without being sweet. It reminds me my childhood days, smelling the tea-cake cooking in the oven. Very cosy and inviting.

m_pooka
m_pooka

One of the best fragrances for the night. Very sober, manly delicate and warm. My girlfriend loves it on my skin.

kurisu
kurisu

This one is really unique.
It start with citrus note...then some note like rubber...and dry down is vanilla.Not a sweet vanilla but dark.
Just suit the name "Black".The staying power is very good. I don't like it at first but after smell the dry down.I would like to try again.Just give some time, and let it develop on your skin.Worth a try.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

Wow! There is nothing quite like this perfume. I think Aeternitas hit it right on the head by describing this scent as edgy. What a perfect word to describe it...leather, vanilla, the masculinity of the scent that somehow still works for a woman. I don't get anything flowery from this one. Black isn't for someone who loves a delicate, flowery scent! Sexy and intriguing.

If you haven't tried this yet, give it a try and give it a chance to 'settle' on your skin. Don't let the first few minutes of it on your skin throw you off. And even if you don't like it, you will have tried a unique fragrance and an excellent example of how a unisex fragrance CAN work on both men and women.

matteomac
matteomac

The fragrance I was looking for: unusual and really intriguing. Its rubbery smell reminds me of cities at night, of cars, streets, of urban life. It's unique, for a unique man (I'm not sure I'd like this too much on a woman).

jbello
jbello

Sexy, dark, leather and Vanilla. There is nothing like this scent and it can be worn by women as well. I purchased it for myself but only for night. You must smell to believe.

F_A
F_A

Very nice oriental fragrance! I love it on myself as well as when men wear it. Smokey notes make this perfume mysterious and the smell of leather mixed with vanilla tones makes this fragrance really sexy.rrrr...

KJanicki
KJanicki

I found it all black rubber and vanilla, like "tires a la mode". A bit too much for the office, but I did feel like the most powerful, sexiest woman alive while I was wearing it. Like Angelie Jolie in black leather.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

I have yet to meet a Bvlgari fragrance I don't like. I am in love with this stuff! It's amazing. It's edgy and sexy, especially on a woman because it has that bit of masculine strength to it. I can't stress enough my love for unisex fragrances. It does smell rubbery due to the leather note, and that's what makes it so unique. Black is very warm, smooth, and comforting. I can also detect the vanilla and green tea. A gorgeous creation! I think most people would recommend this for winter, but I love this enough to wear through the summer.

Aiona
Aiona

My husband and I had a giggle with this perfume. I tried it on my wrist today, and, at first I thought I might like it. It's not floral fruity; that's for sure. But. . . after a weird mosquito repellent top-note phase, I could swear it smells exactly like the generic baby wipes that one can buy at Wal-Mart. I mentioned it to my husband, and he sniffed and agreed, "Yeah, that smells like *bleep*-ing baby wipes," and encouraged me to toss the cotton ball sampler out (cuz I couldn't toss my wrist out) of the car.

mariotgomez

Bvlgari black was the first introduction to the Bvlgari fragrances. I can’t remember if it was the scent or the bottle that enticed me. I like this scent because of the leather, amber, vanilla and green tea notes.

cocomademoisellerie
cocomademoisellerie

I really adore this scent, not on me, but on my boyfriend...it´s very unusual, warm and sexy for both sexes..but all in all I would say it works better on men, with his sharp rubber stuff in it.

Black by Bvlgari 3.92 out of 5 based on 2156 ratings and 409 user reviews

Bvlgari Black Eau de Toilette Spray 75ml
Bvlgari Black Eau de Toilette Spray 75ml
Bvlgari Black bulgari Cologne by Bvlgari, 1.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Bvlgari Black bulgari Cologne by Bvlgari, 1.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Bvlgari Black bulgari Perfume by Bvlgari, 1.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Unisex for Women
Bvlgari Black bulgari Cologne by Bvlgari, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Unisex Tester for Men
Bvlgari Black bulgari Perfume by Bvlgari, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Unisex Tester for Women
BVLGARI BLACK for UNISEX by Bvlgari EDT SPRAY 2.5 OZ TESTER
BVLGARI BLACK for UNISEX by Bvlgari EDT SPRAY 2.5 OZ TESTER
Eau De Toilette 1oz
Bvlgari Eau De Toilette Spray 30ml 1oz
Bvlgari Eau De Toilette Spray 30ml 1oz
Bvlgari Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Bvlgari Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Bvlgari Black bulgari Cologne by Bvlgari, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Unisex for Men
Bvlgari Black bulgari Perfume by Bvlgari, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Unisex for Women
BVLGARI BLACK for UNISEX by Bvlgari EDT SPRAY 2.5 OZ
Bvlgari Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Zappos.com
Bvlgari - Black Eau De Toilette Spray 2.5 oz N-A - Beauty
Bvlgari - Black Eau De Toilette Spray 2.5 oz N-A - Beauty

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Bvlgari Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Bvlgari Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black by Bvlgari. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black by Bvlgari represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.