Designers » B » Floral Fruity Gourmand « Groups

In the City of Sin By Kilian for women

In the City of Sin By Kilian for women
dislike

In the City of Sin By Kilian for women Pictures

In the City of Sin by By Kilian is a Floral Fruity Gourmand fragrance for women. This is a new fragrance. In the City of Sin was launched in 2012. Top notes are bergamot, pink pepper and guatemalan cardamom; middle notes are apricot, plum, turkish rose and incense; base notes are atlas cedar and patchouli.

Bergamot Pink Pepper Guatemalan Cardamom

Apricot Plum Turkish Rose Incense

Atlas Cedar Patchouli

Feminite du Bois

In the City of Sin Fragrance Reviews

spidola
spidola

I should know already that I do not like some spices, especially cardamom and cinnamon, but I stubbornly keep testing fragrances containing these notes… Maybe I’m just curious, maybe I still hope to find some perfume among them, that I like. Pity, but The city of sin is not this surprising discovery. It opens with the huge quantity of cardamom and it dries down in sweet fruity gourmand base. It reminds me of Kenzo Jungle and Mont Blanc Femme – I wouldn't like to wear neither of these and I must say the same thing about The city of sin.

ranchorita
ranchorita

This is one of my first forays into the house of By Kilian, and I am sorry to say I don't like this as much as I expected to. In The City Of Sin begins as a very fruity floral, quickly drying down to a predominantly floral scent on my skin. I kept waiting for the greater breadth that patchouli and cedar would bring to the fragrance, but those two accords never arrived for me. I also see that my fellow reviewers mention spice, but the spike of spices never arrived for me, either. This is a pretty fragrance, but the price is very high for what seems not particularly remarkable to me, and one which eventually became a hint of faded flowers. With a name like this, I rather hoped for a fragrance evocative of a jaunt through bawdy houses and opium dens, but instead I get Lady Havisham. Then again, this effect may purely be a function of my pH with the accords in this perfume.

This fragrance is not for me, but I'm open to the possibility that I would love the scent of it on someone else's chemistry. I'd call this one a definite try-before-you-buy.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

The sweetness oozing and emanating from almost-rotting fruit in the sun, just at the turning point of decay, shot through with the sort of decadent incense that makes you think of carnal bacchanal "celebrations" at ancient temples thousands of years ago, it is absolutely WONDERFUL!

As someone who tends to run away from most fruity-florals, this one actually made me SWOON. It is so voluptuous and sinister, ancient and modern, masculine and feminine all at once, this is what Venus would use to perfume herself in the 21st century. Totally divine!

This was recommended to me at the Kilian counter and was one I hadn't tried due to my habit of limiting myself to masculine or unisex perfumes. The reason I do that BTW is not because of any aversion to them, rather that I would be opening a Pandora's box of female focused possibilities and financial decline.
The odd one is okay and this was one I made an exception for.
I really, really like fruity fragrances and In the city of sin is great to be honest. It's a wonderful fruity/floral, sexy musk scent which to my nose is only slightly spicy, nothing offensive. Easily unisex, not for me though more suitable for my girlfriend... she liked it too.

Museumgal
Museumgal

I feel like there's a bit too much spice in the opening. Once it settles down its more balanced, but the pepper has a sharp, nose burning quality right at the start that is pretty off putting. I think I would let that go if it weren't so expensive, but at this price it really should be better blended.

Definitely spicy, like a spiced rose scent, dry, intense, so for me not something I would like, it is though more complex and more interesting Than Good Girl gone bad, it is exotic, it is like a scent from a faraway asian place, so yes lovers of spicy scents will enjoy it, not for me.

dormir6
dormir6

I'm in love, love, love....Warm, spicy, fruity....and overly sexy, like warm, loving bodies.
It reminds me of Shisheido Feminité Du Bois and the original Dolce Vita. Not similar, but still...It's lighter, more fruits and more playful.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

A warm and sweet fragrance with moderate sillage and good longevity. I was testing this fragrance this morning and had it on for four hours before switching to another fragrance. The scent of this fragrance never changed for the whole time I was wearing it until I took a shower. I did shower with plenty of soap and scrubbed my skin pretty well but there was still a very sexy musky scent lingering on my skin for hours (now 9 hours after first spray of this fragrance). I did not detect any of this note the whole four hours that I had this fragrance on full strength. I find it kind of interesting and guess I just need to give this fragrance a full day try next time to really see how it develops on my skin throughout the course of the day.

kazewayz
kazewayz

This has a sweet, spicy opening. It's sweet, floral, a tad bit woody as well. A nice scent for women. Quality all the way. Great for any weather. Try it.

raw umber
raw umber

In The City of Sin has a dry spicy opening. Pepper, cardamom, and incense float over resinous woods and warm muted fruit. The fruits are pushed down and restrained by the dry spices and dark woods. It is essentially, fruit in a cage.

Thank you to the lovely Kilian reps at Saks, Kim and Will. They were wonderful to give me a sample of this.

In the City of Sin is the experience of visiting something strange, dark, and complex in order to discover sweetness buried beneath. The dry mix of spices and dark woods are an excellent compliment to the Summer fruits. In the City of Sin does not project too much, but once it dries down and its cage of spices and wood evaporates, it releases its soft sweet powdery fruits and lasts for hours close to the skin.

In the City of Sin is masculine and feminine. It is a little like some sort of spicy marinade at first, but give it a chance, and it undergoes a pleasant and unexpected transition or two, eventually drying down to a signature Kilian ambiguously fruity skin scent.

This fragrance's lack of projection makes it appropriate for a wide range of situations, but it is certainly the most unusual composition of the three offerings from the In The Garden Of Good And Evil collection, so give it some time to develop before forming an opinion. Though I am not presently moved to purchase a FB of this, I also wouldn't write it off. I think it's about as noteworthy as Good Girl Gone Bad, though they smell nothing alike.

I recommend this especially for those who like to keep their fruits on lockdown.

glitteralex
glitteralex

I'm not sure in what City of Sin this carnal desire comes from, but it's none I have ever visited. A sheer sweetish spicy wood with a little Calone thrown in. Despite By Kilian's contention of using the best possible ingredients, the rose here is a polite and synthetic tea rose (try Creed's soon to be discontinued Fleurs de Bulgarie for a wallop of real, dirty, earthy rose).

The transparent substrate of all By Kilian's scents (excepting the Aouds, to a degree) prevents them from ever living up to their exotic and naughty monikers. If anything, this is a well-done and pleasant floral with spice and some light wood.

Decent longevity, but, like all By Kilian scents, poor sillage.

Is By Kilian IN THE CITY OF SIN a reissue of LIAISONS DANGEREUSES? I ask because it has precisely the same (eccentric) effect upon me. I smell hyacinth very strongly in the opening, after which the perfume becomes more of an unsweetened fruity chypre. Where is the sin in this, for heaven's sake?

I may be in the minority, but I never really connect the By Kilian market hype with their perfumes. In this case, the tag line is: "The temptation which leads to carnal desire." Huh. I have yet to detect a single animalic note in the entire By Kilian line-up, so either I'm anosmic to their erotic inducements, or we simply have wildly divergent views on what the word 'racy' is supposed to mean.

Honestly, the snakes and all of the clumsy pseudo-erotic writing does nothing to make this composition anything more to me than a reissue of LIAISONS DANGEREUSES, as tame as plum pudding--but much less sweet.

In the end, I am forced to conclude: I just don't get it. At all.

justbeQ
justbeQ

When I think of the City of Sin, my mind will automatically go to the flash, glitz and the in your face over abundance of “sin-sations,” stimulations and temptations. But in tandem with that thought is the inevitable crash of reality leaving a shadow of the person that once was and where dreams and illusions are forever shattered.

But Sin isn’t that at all. Yes, there is a brightness in it’s opening with the pepper and cardamom (which peaks in and out, like a nervous dealer). But instead of an over abundance of brightness that could blind, the plum and rose sweep in perfectly paired; keeping each other from getting too wild and out of control. Plum and rose take your hand in the guise of a gentle Madam that has played this game all her life. She is wise to the ways of overindulgence and watches over your journey with warm eyes and a guiding hand. She presents all that is offered in this tumultuous realm letting you taste and touch the incense and creamy cedar. And before you can be swayed any further she gently steers your journey into safer waters. Then you wake to the smell of a perplexing comforting sweetness. Ghostly wispy thoughts of something profound and satisfying linger, but alas it is out of reach.

I find the opening of Sin moves very fast. I mean it passes almost too quickly. And it’s bright. I get the pepper, a smidge of bergamot and luckily for me the cardamom is very peek-a-boo, which I appreciate because I’m not a huge fan. But here I find it pleasant. I don’t really get any of the apricot. The plum and rose are really perfectly matched. It doesn’t lean overly fruity or rosy to me. I can still smell the pepper when the cedar and incense drift in. The cedar has a creaminess quality to it. It’s still woody but it’s smooth and mellow. The incense adds depth and really wraps around the whole fragrance and I think holds it all together nicely. Then it fades to a gentle sweetness. The plum and rose keep doing their job and keep the sweetness from getting stale and boring. And there seems to be a light musk underneath it all as well.

I think it is wonderfully seductive fragrance and I am enjoying my sample a great deal. It wears close to the skin and I get about 3-4 hours before having to reapply. I did ask my husband what he thought of it. All I got was “it’s nice” and a shoulder shrug which translates to- this doesn’t do the same for him that it does for me. LOL. This also mean's enjoy my sample because i'm not forking out that kind of dough for, "it's nice." ;)
~q

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

First, this does not smell anything like Lutens' Feminite du Bois. I don't know where anyone is getting that association. Lutens and Sheldrake wouldn't be caught dead near this trainwreck of a fragrance.

There are some interesting topnotes that seem to hold some promise and then it all dries down to an everlasting cedary, patchy funk that reminds me of Old Spice or some other old school men's traditional fragrance. Another disaster, IMHO. Are any of the Kilian fragrances any good?

I have only found 2 to be vaguely acceptable- Back to Black and Amber Oud, which actually has no oud in it that I can tell. I don't know who is buying these scents but they must be anosmic or love sweet gooey scents that someone mistook for sexy.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

[EDIT: I mistakenly did my original review for my "forbidden fruits" sample thinking it was "city of sin". In my opinion, "forbidden fruits" is the more superior one of this range] This one underwhelmed me, and I was so disappointed because I had rushed out and spent mega-bucks on a bottle. It is spicy and woodsy, with a lot of bergamot and cedar and spices. Slightly masculine, rather than feminine. The rose is barely whiffable in this one, or the plum note. I get a herbally feel to it, and sadly does not last beyond a few hours. Sillage is very low. Stays close to the skin. I do not know why, but I had high expectations given the black bottle range, however for some reason, these white bottles are seriously underwhelming for the money that you pay for them.

rosecat
rosecat

Its juicy, the fruits are spiced up with cardomon, like stewed fruit. The incense note is in this is very present but its gentle. Notes that stand out to me are: Plum, cedar, red pepper, spicy Rose, cardomon, hints of bergamot & apricot. If you like the gourmand-spicy-incense style fragrances you may like to try this, ....even if its out of curosity! This is well done, but its so similar to a few others out there.

petar.ciganovic
petar.ciganovic

Kilian doesn't seize to surprize.

For me, this is the best fragrance in the world that has fruity notes, especially plum. It's so diry and sexy, inviting you to wear it more and more. Like an obsession.

From the first sniff I was amazed by the extreme quality of the ingrediends and the overall package - only Kilian knows how to make a good perfume and a following ambalage.

Longetivity is good, sillage is great for this kind of scent - noticable, but not too much (you need to get closer).

I get the blast of fruits mixed with cedar and heavy wood in general, then rose and incense which is so beutiful together.

My rating: 10/10

Wise-222
Wise-222

in case if i am going to buy a niche perfume for my
wife,i will try to find something with good longevity and projection to deserve my money,
i can't find these things with this perfume.

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

This is my fav. of the 3, on my skin on first spray it reminds me of Christmas, which I know of course is coming from the pepper && cedar mix, but yes it reminds me faintly like a Christmas tree...only prettier if that makes sense like it hints at that smell just not with a sickening pine. Even though this is labeled for only women, I don't see why a man couldn't very well wear it to. Actually when I have it on I do find it to be more masc then feminine every now && then I would get the subtle-ness of the florals but the cedar && pepper are the real shiners which is why I guess it comes across to be more unisex to me. Longevity && Projection are pretty moderate it lasted a good 5 hours strong then it started to fade out a bit, && I could smell myself when I moved not saying if others could though. My Manager actually gave me all 3 samples b/c she signed up to receive the newest scents from Kilian. I'm going to save this one && where it on x-mas I think it will be perfect! I do really like this one I find it perfect for the fall/winter months, && would I spend 245 for it...yeah if I had the money && could bring myself to do that lol, I love! the packaging of this line! :)

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

This one opens up very smokey like Sweet redemption in a way, then it turns to a really good spiked punch to my nose. It does not excite me but I do enjoy this. It induces what spiced fruit smells like, which is right up my alley in scents. I would not spend the money however.

saguna
saguna

Fades out after one hour, but it's something different and interesting. Is more like exploring something new, than using it as my perfume - I can't think about wearing such a funny scent. It just can't fit in any mood, situation, position, weather or outfit. It's more like - smell it, feel it, try it and... that's it.

Mugler pure UK
Mugler pure UK

I thought this was a unisex frag??
Not one of Kilians best for me. I tried city of sin on one hand and forbidden games on the other. I thought COS was pretty strong at first but after 1 hr it faded badly. After a few more sniffs later on, I thought it smelled familiar, then it came to me - Creed Millesime Imperiale.
Don't rate FG either, there's nothing that warants such a high price tag. I'll pass on these!

pb0330
pb0330

received a sample of this scent today. it reminds me a lot of neela vermieren trayee. it is not as intense as trayee. i see they have cedar and patchouli notes in common. this scent is nice, but i'm not in love with it.

FBenoit1
FBenoit1

I also notice the cedar too chickenpotpie, you are right on point. It is noticeable in the beginning. I kinda of like it and will test it on my skin....

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

One of the first things I notice out of the bottle is cedar, it wasn't big but it was noticeable. As the scent dries down, I get more fruitiness in peach and plum and a small amount of rose. Incense in this is not very strong..I think a bit stronger would have been nice. On 2 sprays, this seems to wear quite close. Not overly sweet, Its pretty nice in a weird sort of way. Rose isn't terribly big on me but its there, and frankly if a man wanted to wear it and can get past the fruit stage (no reason why he couldn't) it could be fabulous.

For 2 sprays, longevity is not too bad. Still going strong after 5 hours, Sillage is not too close but no terribly loud.

This really isn't a love for me, but I'm glad I got to try it out.

In the City of Sin by By Kilian 3.53 out of 5 based on 116 ratings and 25 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about By Kilian In the City of Sin fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about By Kilian In the City of Sin, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify In the City of Sin by By Kilian. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of In the City of Sin by By Kilian represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.