Designers » B » Oriental Woody « Groups

Bal d'Afrique Byredo for women and men

Bal d'Afrique Byredo for women and men
dislike

I have it: 527 I had it: 107 I want it: 583 My signature: 16

Stockholm-based niche line Byredo introduced a new fragrance named Bal d’Afrique, and "inspired by Paris in the late 20ćs and its infatuation with African culture, art, music and dance.

A mix of the Parisian avant-gardism and African culture shaped a unique and vibrant expression. The intense life, the excess and euphoria is illustrated by Bal dćAfrique's Neroli, African marigold and Moroccan cedarwood."

Top notes includes: bergamot, lemon, neroli, African marigold, Bucchu Middle notes includes: violet, jasmine and cyclamen Base is composed of black amber, musk, vetiver, moroccan cedarwood.

The fragrance is available in 100 ml Eau de Parfum. Bal d'Afrique was launched in 2009. The nose behind this fragrance is Jerome Epinette.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon African Orange flower Tagetes Black Currant

Passion Fruit, Orange Blossom & Vetiver

Bal d'Afrique Fragrance Reviews

VanMarlton
VanMarlton

I initially liked the scent smelling it off paper, but after a full wearing I'm not so into it. It has that strange wood polish/paint vibe that I also experienced with He Wood Rocky Mountain. It was tough. I don't think I'll want to wear it again. There are definite similarities to vetiver Tonka and that one is a far better fragrance in my opinion.

lizzegrl
lizzegrl

If I could live in this 24/7, with all the layers I would. It is sumptuous, mysterious and so amazing. I feel like smiling when I wear it and will put it on before bed simply to feel good as I sleep. Simply Gorgeous.

ramin1215
ramin1215

Seated Woman In Violet Stockings - EGON SCHIELE

Gidrocity
Gidrocity

I smelled it today on a friend and oh my....i am totally hooked...i couldnt keep on with conversation i was so distracted by this wonderful clean a bit powdery scent, right away i said to my friend it feels like she just got out of the shower, but not just any shower, to my nose there is something, some note, that i just want to dive in this smell and dissolve in it, so good it smells :) I want it badly

MissGabrielleO
MissGabrielleO

I purchased a decant of this from LuckyScent, looking for an alternative to my beloved Vetyverio. This scent is so subtle that it's really doing nothing for me. Given the rapturous reviews, I wanted to love it more, but it's just too subtle for me to love it enough to pay $200 for it.

Sue Oakhill
Sue Oakhill

LOVE LOVE LOVE... This is the first perfume EVER (in the 40 years of my life and the probably 25 years I'm using perfumes), which I bought on the same day of smelling it for the first time... the first time ever that a recommendation of a shop assistant was spot on.... and the first time, a perfume became my signature scent straight away. I smelled it and it was just... me.

I was on a lunch break hunt for new scents and had a chat in the shop about my current favorites (normally fresh white flowers with a green touch, since recently also more woody and deeper/more masculine scents, but never too powdery, makes me cough)...
The assistant showed me Bal d'Afrique... I smelled it for the first time... and went "Mmmmmh!" immediately... not like oftentimes, when you politely answer "Yes, nice..." or "Mhm, not bad..." to those awful scents some of the shop assistants are recommending, with the words "I like it very much myself!" or "This is very popular!".

No, Bal d'Afrique has a wonderfully fresh citrus/orange/bergamot blast in the beginning, interlaced with a delicious fruit (must be the blackcurrant), never getting sickly sweet, never acidly citric (you know... like the times when you have to sneeze from all the citrus)... just a wonderful balance between all components... while a faint smokey touch is hovering at the scent's edges.

This initial richness of juicy fruits lasts about 20 minutes on my skin and then fades a little, becoming warmer with amber, musk and cedar. The smokey touch also gets a little stronger, but never becomes disgusting (non-smoker writing here).

The only "drop of bitterness" in this luscious composition is... longevity is only moderate... after 2-3 hours I barely can smell it anymore on myself. Be prepared to always take it with you to refreshen it after some time, because you just can't live without it. Sillage is weak, so it's very office friendly and wearable too.

Bal d'Afrique is like nothing I've ever smelled before. The scent invokes a feeling of the zest for life and indulging in its pleasures, while the deeper - and sometimes smokey - layers of your experience of life are always present in the background... not disturbing the present, but also never being forgotten. The picture of a unique life.

ConsumerThis
ConsumerThis

Dry down won me over on this one guys. A few hours later on MY skin, I got a beautiful masculine musky cedar wood with some florals to soften / fresh sweeten this up. I don't mean florals as in "smell this flower" in perfumery floral notes can go all different ways, especially on men's skin chemistry it can go a whole different way, especially rose. Any ways, I am really liking this a lot. The opening isn't bad or anything, I just didn't really care for it. This is a dry down fragrance that is not linear at all! Nice!

polly golightly
polly golightly

attratta dalla piramide olfattiva centrata sul vetiver ho abbondato con gli spruzzi. e invece niente vetiver! si tratta piuttosto di un profumino tra il fruttato e il floreale, dapprincipio esperidato, poi cremoso, infine molto Iso E Super. ecco, diciamo che somiglia al profumo di una generica crema per il corpo estiva, gradevole sì, ma come ce ne sono tante, troppe. inoffensivo, dimenticabile, non brutto, ma per quello che costa... mi aspettavo qualcosa di decisamente più originale.

Tassio12
Tassio12

This was on my buy list after a couple of wearings from a decent sized sample. Now, after another try, I'm just not that impressed. It is floral and somehow a bit creamy. The vetiver is hardly a prominent note.

Like a lot of offerings from this house, it is good but not great. Certainly nothing here to justify the price.

JEDI 2.0

Okay, NOW I get it!! If you save this one for a hot day, it'll make more sense.

I wore this last winter, and it merely smelled like hotel hand soap to me. A fragrance that costs well over $100, that smells like free soap. COME ON!!

Well, I'm wearing this now, and with the weather already hitting Summer temps, NOW I'm getting the fruitiness that was mentioned by someone; they told me that Bal d'Afrique kinda smells like a cleaner version of Pulp. Well, now I'm getting that.

I still can't justify the price of this one, but admittedly i like it much more now than i did the last few times i wore it.

Ozymandias86
Ozymandias86

I'm going to tell you a story. At first I didn't like this very much. 4 wears later and I absolutely adore this remarkable and versatile juice! The End.

landshark321
landshark321

Byredo's Bal D'Afrique is, at least by reputation, the house's signature warm weather option, and I recalled liking it when first smelling it in the house's New York City Store but hadn't yet gotten a chance to try it on skin for a while.

It opens with a burst of citrus (I get more bergamot than lemon) and orange flower, and it gradually dries down (over the course of an hour) into a mix of vetiver, cedar, and musk. I don't really detect the amber in the base, otherwise I might consider it a bit darker, deeper, or sweeter.

I'm probably neglecting the blackcurrant in the opening, but it wasn't that striking to me, and the florals in the heart, though they seemed quickly lost and overshadowed by the vetiver-intensive based that seems to draw most of the attention away.

It's certainly wearable by both women and men, a friendly blend of citrus and vetiver for the most part. There's nothing especially masculine or feminine about it.

Moderate projection and longevity, which certainly confirm this as a warm-weather-only option, and not terribly regal or sophisticated to the point that I would consider wearing it at night. It's a summer day fragrance for me.

Comparisons to Westbrook are fair, and I actually hadn't smelled Bal D'Afrique in a while when I tried and purchased Westbrook last week, but Bal D'Afrique is far more of a light citrus option, whereas Westbrook is a bit darker, more year-round friendly, better-performing, and a bit more year-round friendly. I'd certainly not consider owning Bal D'Afrique to be redundant with Westbrook or vice versa.

7 out of 10

dzingunyte
dzingunyte

amazing scent for spring,summer. but wearable also in colder seasons. i feel the smell of dried fruits,it has some kind of juiciness,smokiness,especially when works longer together with the skin chemistry. it's somehow sweet,but also fresh at the same time. beautiful scent,i love it. it doesn't irritate senses,stays close.

Ryan1159
Ryan1159

When I sprayed Bal d'Afrique, I was immediately transported to some faraway land that I've never been to. I imagined the place to be tropical, a rainforest near a beach. There was a celebration at night, lots of dancing, campfires. Now, in no way did it smell like these elements mentioned, but this fragrance left that image in my mind. It is very rare that a fragrance does that for me. Immediate purchase.

lovescents999
lovescents999

Byredo Bal d'Afrique - The opening blast of bergamot is so well blended with the sweetness of ripe black currants that I didn't even mind the fresh tartness of the lemon which nicely prevents this scent from turning into syrupy black currant jam. I wish the vetiver was more prominent on me because I would like a little soapiness associated with this fragrance, but unfortunately I can barely detect it. The middle notes of violet, jasmine and cyclamen speed up through the process and I finally get to my favorite part: the dry down, luscious melange of black amber, musk, and a little kick of moroccan cedarwood. Mmmmm.... so good!

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

Bal d'Afrique is a smooth, endlessly pleasing fragrance. It opens with a sunny blend of lemon, cloudy florals, and some rooty woodiness (vetiver and cedar come to mind but both are smooth and quiet enough to blend together). The lemon here is very rounded, almost creamy somehow, totally devoid of any sour sharpness. The overall fragrance is blended very well to the point where it just 'works' as a smell, nothing stands out as being too prominent or lingers around too long. Its sort of like an extremely high quality lemon soap sitting on a bed of freshly picked orange and purple flowers in a rakish hand woven wooden or reed basket on a warm evening (if you could imagine the fragrant equivalent of that scene). A nice muskiness sneaks up in the drydown that hangs around a good 6 or 7 hours. This is my significant other's signature scent and I enjoy it almost as much on it's own as I do smelling it on her. Not something that I would wear or buy for my own collection as I feel that Viaggio D'Africa fills that hole while being much much cheaper and a touch more masculine to me but still a very very nice fragrance.

baratrion
baratrion

This one reminds me of Paul Smith Story as well.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Clean,solar and joyful. This fragrance is full of liveliness and color... The top notes are vibrant and give the fragrance an extraordinary luminosity. Slowly it evolves into a warm and enveloping fragrance with amber and vetiver. I like it.

Sillage: 7.5/10
Longevity: 8./10
Scent: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10

JEDI 2.0

I finally sampled this, and you know what I smell?? --soap.

Like, hotel hand soap, the type wrapped in wax paper. This is a refined, concentrated version of the smell of that soap.

It's not terrible, in fact it's very clean and oddly it's something both my wife and I could wear equally. But seriously, it smells like hotel hand soap to me.

lilalina
lilalina

This is probably the only vetiver scent I enjoy. It must be the combination with the citrus accords which makes it way more light and wearable. Still smoky and kind of masculine however, I love this one by Byredo!

Emma0714
Emma0714

On me this opens up very sweet and fruity. Almost like a fresh pineapple, but not at all as potent and strong, more like if the pineapple went through a waterfall and I could smell the water in the lagoon afterwards, with all the flowers surrounding it. (Maybe this is just a kinder way of saying it's lacking a bit of potency.. but I don't know)

Then it has this woodsy vibe from the vetiver, which I really like but I also wanted to be stronger... Gah, I really like this scent, but It feels like I just sprayed it on my hands, and then went to wash it away, and this is what is left.

It's NICE, absolutely, but I just want MORE from a "Paris in the 20's African inspired super artsy" fragrance than just a whiff of fruit salad...

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

A transparent, 'barely there' vetiver, tarted up with some citrus and sugary ethyl maltol.

Clean, fresh and fruity, lasting a few hours at best, but it doesn't smell particularly niche or sophisticated at all; Rather synthetic and linear. It's not far off something I'd expect to smell from Britney Spears or some other generic celebrity fragrance made for teenage girls.

mayberry
mayberry

I don't know why but I get sweat from this. The fresh kind that smells metallic. Like sweaty dog.

marthaelena
marthaelena

This is amazing! Is the definition of class and sophistication.
This is Different, Feminine and Timeless.
You can tell that the scents used are the highest quality but what makes this fragrance better than, say Prada Infusion d'Iris, is that it is Fun, yet classy.
The sweet note is in any way a sugar syrup. The blend of notes is so balanced. A masterpiece!

When the SA suggested it, and mentioned the name, I did not know what to think. I thought it was going to be something “wild” but what a surprise. After he explained me the story about the fragrance, it all makes sense. This is very Parisian. I cannot get my nose off my wrist ever since.
This is one of those that you have to try! You'll love it.

the big totoro
the big totoro

Perfect. Most beautiful summer fragrance ever. Rich and multifaceted, yet fresh. Elegant and refined, yet still carefree. A work of genius. The marigold is the star which makes me so happy, I had been looking for a replacement for my Wildwood Calendula for 20 years. This is a must-have, it's worth every penny! 10/10 all the way.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

A big hitter in the Niche game, I having recently come across Modern scents that really do the business found it utterly disappointing.

Just greeness, smelled it before, citric, greeness.

I'll admit I'm strongly biased against green notes so definitely take that into account in my review; but the whole deal just seemed such a whimper.

Definitely there was citrus; but it lacked identity.

I found it neither a lemon (which I wanted), a lime or a full-bodied bergamot.

It was as if a diluted mixture of the 3, tinged with some lush green grass.

I was most shocked by the lack of the hidden star, the blackcurrant of which I got totally none of.

Usually it's a strong 'saving' note, adding sweetness, sparkle and a punch of appeal in fruit.

Here, there is 0 'sweetness' at the start, this is as far away a 'fruit punch' opening as one can be in the Fresh genre.

Just 'green' (could be anything 'green'), citric at the top.

It then becomes progressively sweeter (1 hour+) and richer, in terms of woods and some amber.

While this will appeal to the green crowd, suitors expecting that large-looking blackcurrant note to make a real splash here will be very disappointed.

My rating: 4/10.
Quality: 8/10.

walking44
walking44

Reminds me of Neutrogena Rainbath ( brown bottle)
It smells like resinous, neroli, soap. It smells like somebody who just showered. But I don't like it. It smells like a mean teacher.

mhobba
mhobba

A super sweet summer cocktail of sparkling citrus, blackcurrant and carrot juice served on a wooden platter decorated with an assortment of fragrant flowers. YUM.

As for the Vétiver Fatal comparison, Bal d'Afrique is more syrupy (amber) sweet like a refreshing tropical punch while Vétiver Fatal is much more lush green (violet leaf) and woody (oud).

mrsg34
mrsg34

What a unique fragrance! I blind bought this as I do with a lot of my perfumes some are great hits, some not so. This one is a hit for me.I got a citrusy ,lemon/lime smell to begin with, then the most amazing smell of the tegete, so beautiful, so different. On checking out the odour profile I discovered that Tegete is a member of the marigold family which explains my instant like. As it settles I get the orange flower and the hint of jasmine then it warms down to a musky amber. It has sweetness going on but not sickly sweet, it has an indolic vibe about it but not heady.It is a very well blended concoction from Byredo that I'm glad I purchased. It's illage is moderate and the same goes for longevity.

erkek

Much sweet so can be boring.. But rafine scent.

Longevity: 8,5/10
Sillage: 8/10

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

I'm not sure what's going on with my nose, but I get a distinct caramel accord in the opening - We're talking Prada Candy style caramel - with a touch of citrus. It's very pretty and not what I was expecting. The drydown is similar to Hermes' Vetiver Tonka, which I also sampled recently, but it's slightly less silky sweet and more floral, more feminine. The musk in this also gives it a powdery aspect on me.

Very, very nice. It also reminds me of the green powder I get from Infusion d'Iris. I just wish it didn't become a skin scent after the first hour or so.

Delila
Delila

Wow! This is really something - a high quality, unique fragrance. Feminine, sexy, and hard to describe because it's so unusual.

I can detect some of the same fruity notes as in Byredo's 'Pulp', but deployed far more conservatively here to lend a fruity ring rather than fruit overload (as I find with Pulp).

It holds quite well, giving several hours of fragrance, then eventually dries down to reveal a pleasant vanilla that had been lurking in the background all along.

This is one that's definitely on my birthday list!

EDIT 3 weeks later:

Oh my, how my taste has evolved in a short time. I still find Bal d'Afrique striking, unique and pleasant, but also now it's obvious that it's unisex. I can detect a certain animalic undertone, perhaps musk, that is extremely common in high end perfumes but that I have come to dislike on my skin.

I can definitely imagine this suiting some men. It's a very worthy candidate for a guy who's looking for a statement fragrance that's different from the common 'clouds of aftershave' frags out there. It's sexy in a different, more personal way.

sdcga161
sdcga161

I love Byredo. So far I own bottles of Sunday Cologne EDP and Pulp, which is just freakishly unique. I just received my full bottle of Bal D'Afrique this week. It didn't knock my socks off at first, like Sunday and Pulp. But it may be the most versatile of the lot. I love this creamy vetiver dry down. In fact, this is the only vetiver that I can think of which might wear better in the cooler months. It's sold as a unisex scent, but I'm not sure it doesn't lean more toward the masculine. I can't wait to try this one out at work this week.

cecfor
cecfor

I like the smell of this one a lot. First a little sweet and then a warm soft vetiver. It is longlasting and subtle. I find it vey suitable when I want something warm in the summer. It is clean and modern. It has a big drawback though. I get a very irritating feeling in my throat and when first sprayed it is hard to stand. It gets better as it dries down.

jfox666
jfox666

My weapon of choice for special and/or romantic occasion. If I have a word to describe this, it has to be "captivating".

This perfume opens up with a fruity like sweetness surrounded by citrus. The opening is sweet, juicy and creamy at the same time. The mid of this fragrnace is vetiver with that fruity sweetness in the background. The vetiver to me smells fresh, uplifting and professional at the same time. This fragrance is to die for; highly addictive. The base is more of vetiver to me.

This fragrance captures the essence and aroma of Paris, France. This is Paris, France in a bottle.

This is my only choice for special/romantic occasion. Longetivity - 6-8hrs. Projection - first 2 hrs.

Ferrogamo2015

Overall 9/10
Price : 100ml $50

beatrix75
beatrix75

Beautiful flowers gorgeous fresh sophisticated fragrance .Long lasting good silage i Love IT second beloved frag fr.o.m. Byredo first its Tulip .9/10

myjebo2012
myjebo2012

It's very elegant especially for a night gala affair. VIP's should only subscribe! Lol. It's very very nice.

acidnbase
acidnbase

Bal d'Afrique is basically a vetiver based scent but there's more to that.. It's citrusy, fruity and floral, sweet and creamy but fresh! I get the pineapple accord right off the bat although it's not listed on the notes breakdown.. BdA works perfectly during the warmer days because it's vibrant, cheerful and uplifting.. It's definitely part of my scent rotation and i'm glad to have a bottle in my collection!

waruna gomis
waruna gomis

A straight path to a fresh fruits shop, and while you are getting there so many other Fizzy Soda drinks, Candy and Incense shops are passed along the way. But you ain't stopping for groceries, Walking straight to the fruit shop. But the fruit shop vanishes into thin air.

Not too over-powering.

Immediate reaction is 'Wow'. Full bodied, well rounded and fulfilling aura. I feel this is all done with a very few ingredients but the outcome is spectacular, Like Single Malt Whiskey.

Cant read the notes, probably because I am not an expert and I dont want to read the descriptions and be clouded by it. But the outcome is contradictory. It is very clear and not so clear. A mystery concoction in a public forum.

Longevity is not so great but what a creation.

cytherian
cytherian

Save your money! Viaggio D'Africa is what you want. Overall, it's a slightly more interesting composition, and costs far less. Seriously, I think Bal D'Afrique is due to be abandoned by those who experience Viaggio.

ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.
ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.

I was encouraged recently by a Fragrantica buddy to share this list of my Top 10 Vetiver based frags.... Kindly remember: this is just my opinion... It is based on what ininstictinctively reach for when Vetiver is on my mind and the mood I'm in.... This is a fragrance forum and opinions will surely differ.. That being said, i gladly encourage all to get their noses on these frags and they'll be convinced these are in elite company in terms of Vetiver frags... Like every humble student/reviewer, I gladly welcome the opinions and recommendations of the reader

1. Vetiver Extrait: Roja Dove (My Review says it all)
2. Encore Noire: Lalique (Dark, Dirty & Complex Vetiver- for those who are daring and enjoy being challenged by their fragrances) For me: Niche quality @ ridiculous price... (See my review please if interested)
3. Bal D'Afrique: Byredo (Sweet, creamy, and very luxurious vetiver- Black tie/Semi-Formal dinner party worthy). Review to come!☺️☺️☺️
4. Grey Vetiver: Tom Ford (Professional, clean and youthful Vetiver- young guy working in a nice office atmosphere where he wears a tie regularly)
5. Creed: Original Vetiver (Sophisticated & Squeaky clean Vetiver....- recline having cocktails on a Sunday afternoon at the country club after a few rounds of golf)
6. Frederic Malle: French Lover "Bois D'Orage": (Very herbal, fresh & green Vetiver- Formal occasion Vetiver "Black Tie" worthy, power longevity 12hrs)
7. Frederic Malle: Vetiver Extraordinaire: (Head-turning Vetiver, like the inside of a chest in a library, crispier & more spicy than most of the rest)- I find this beats Malle's other Vetiver offering in slightly cooler temps and for evening wear when you wanna make that bold statement.......!
8. Guerlain: Vetiver (An essential in ANY serious collector's wardrobe.... This DNA is the basis for the majority of Vetivers on the market today.... Would be higher on my list, but Roja Dove took it to the SUPREME level....
9. The Different Company: Sel De Vetiver (Salty, grapefruit Vetiver, a perfect balance of an aquatic & earthy, grassy, woody vetiver- eerily similar to Guerlain's Vetiver- not sure I can really tell them apart in a blind side-by-side test!
10. Vetiver Veritas: James Heeley (lots of depth, dark in a similar manner to encore noire, but not as well blended. Very natural smelling, but definitely NOT for everyone......., THIS ONE IS A POWERHOUSE MEANT FOR THE MORE DARING NOSES)- this is a true-to-life interpretation of Haitian Vetiver.....

UPDATE: June 1st/2016
Just got my hands on a bottle of Hermes Vetiver Tonka and the DNA is identical... That being said..., Ben Gorham (Byredo Founder) took the composition to a much much higher level.. The African Orange Flower & Marigold is beautifully interwoven into the composition and so magically well done………. For me- this makes Bal D'Afrique the superior blend at a discount....

Miss L
Miss L

I purchased Bal D'Afrique just 3 days ago, Saturday, because I was sooooo blown away from the fragrance when the sales associate introduced it to me on Friday. After using it for 3 days, I could not be more disappointed in the fragrance!! It has NO lasting power and has poor sillage. I was totally shocked after being so impressed with the fragrance initially. Kinda makes me wonder if the bottle they use as a tester is more potent than what they sell. Clearly, something is different. I enjoy paying for quality but in this case, I did not get what I paid for. Therefore, I will be returning it and will not be trying it again.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is an optimistic, vibrant, fruity scent that embodies an interesting story and a successful merging of disparate notes. It lingers for a long time, and has a freshly washed element to it that I enjoy - and a succulent citrus aspect, all of which make this is a balanced, gorgeous, happy fragrance that is simply put, a joy to wear whenever, wherever. It is sophisticated, orange-sunset glow feeling.

Tardigrada
Tardigrada

Gentle, rounded, true quality elegant blend. Safe and sound. I perceive it as a soft citrus-floral with a tiny hint of vetyver, such tiny for me it's barely there. For unremarkable personalities, that are too busy trying to conform.

erkek

Beklentimin üzerinde bir koku. Tatli ve ferah bir koku. Kalıcılık ve farkedilirlik yuksek. Belirtildigi gibi cinsiyeti yok arada bir koku. Kaliteyi hissediyorsunuz.

Koku: 9,50/10
Kalıcılık: 9/10
Farkedilirlik: 9/10

Fresh and sweet generally. Above my expectations. Longevitiy and sillage is great. Men and women can use easily. Thats absolutely quality scent.

Scent: 9,50/10
Sillage: 9/10

DessyBo
DessyBo

Irresistible, earthy, sensual and deep yet discreet, this mix of musk and woody base beautifully blended with vetiver and some flowers is lovely. Very unisex and will be appealing on either male or female skin. Suitable for a secret love affair with yourself.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

This fragrance is absolutely beautiful. At first spray I smell lots of citrus, vetiver and orange flower. Dried down to a soft and comforting musky, black currant (just the right amount) and violet. These ingredients together are magical. To me Bal D'Afrique smells clean and it's just a happy scent. It lasts a very long time on me.

nemorino
nemorino

Pure beauty..very glad to have it in my collection.

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Overall: 9.25/10
Here's Why:
Blended perfection. The layering of this fragrance envelopes me completely. it's like wearing a sheer veil, a cloud, all around me.
Transporting and majestic.
Balmy and Jammy. I don't say 'fruity' since that's not the vibe I got.
Very agreeable in my wearing experience, long lasting (8 or so hours) and a wonderful companion to many other parfum's.
Sprayed this with a spray of Cafe Rose, and let me tell you it was sheer HEAVEN!
Really enjoy this, and I can tell this was a passionate make for Byredo. It smells historical and important.
well done!

freakypirate
freakypirate

Starts sweet and balmy, fruity, then sweeter. I smell violets too. Then the scent gets a vetiver vibe, with light leathery, dusty dry notes, which is interesting on top of the sweet balmy base. The musk joins in now too. Drydown is an ambery fruity balmy scent.

Sillage is moderate, longevity moderate.

The balminess and fruity sweetness is an interesting combination, but this scent is too sweet for my taste. There seems to be a hint of iso e super and ambroxan in the base which is giving me a bit of a headache. The balminess reminds me of that in Frederic Malle's Eau D'Hiver. This scent is probably quite a crowd pleaser!

Germany
Germany

A burst of life! FRESH and SWEET ,,,,, a Happy lemon explosion with lots of sweetness and a warm base. I love this one ! It's a happy scent , it's zesty and lifely and oh so sweet , ,very fruity at first and addictive then settled into a rounder, still very sweet but not as zesty scent. The amber and vetevier appear and the ceder. Great for men and women for sure and I am happy about the violet note in here. As I love violets I wish it was stronger but it's still there to give it sweetness and slight pharmacy candy feel. Very slight , maybe just if you look for it ;)
A winner!
Like a few other reviews I hate vetevier tonka and love this one. There might be a similarity but there also is a huge difference. I love this and can't wear the other. The VT has a sickly note in it that I couldn't tolerate and gave it away.

becuille
becuille

The list of notes sound lovely, but on me this is very, very faint pineapple and stale cigarette smoke. That is all I get, start to finish - and it only lasts about an hour. I tried a different sample in case that was the problem, but no, it's definitely the perfume itself on my skin.

The pineapple is nice, but the smoky smell is very unappealing to me - it smells like something that needs to be washed.

Sorry I can't be more thorough, but I literally get nothing else from this.

dreamstate
dreamstate

I love the top notes of Bal D'Afrique so much, I have been into Mecca about 20 times to try this perfume on as I really want to love it. But whats held me back are the base notes it dries down to. It smells very sweet and sickly by the end of the day. I absolutely love the initial spray and scent on my skin, and really would love this scent if it didn't become so sickly.

Gigi27
Gigi27

Pleasant, fruity-floral, meh.

putri.daskian
putri.daskian

It's nothing "new" per se, but it's definitely beautifully blended. There are days I love it, there are days I regret buying it. It's not the best thing on my perfume shelves, but I can't say I don't enjoy the days I'm wearing it.

armour
armour

I tried this on in the store and was in love with it. The smell reminded me of being at the park near my grandmother's house after it had rained and stormed in the day and then the sun comes blooming out afterwards. However, after I purchased this and tried this on at home to wear, I swear I couldn't smell it on my skin after an hour. It's as though they gave me a diluted version of this perfume :(
has anyone had this same experience?

muzzbait
muzzbait

quite moreish! very citrusey and sweet. enjoying catching notes of this. yes! must try again..

archivist
archivist

Marigold and pineapple and sunshine - surprisingly dry given the pineapple. I think we have vetiver to thank for that; this is a very nice balancing act, as the pineapple and vetiver fuse, this is not a vetiver fragrance. But that's a good thing in my book. This wears close to the body, very clean and fresh. Way overpriced (like all the Byredos, IMO) but very nice.

ETA: no longevity. Par for the course with Byredo. How do they get away with these prices for such watered-down product?

diorshowman
diorshowman

This fragrance is in my top 5. Nuff said.

Longevity:B
Projection:B
Uniqueness:A+
Versatility:A

OVERALL: A+

Malthus101
Malthus101

This smells nothing like Vetiver Fatal to me; this is far sweeter, I can't smell vetiver at all.

I made the mistake today of smelling this AFTER smelling Oud Immortel which is way stronger. I could barely smell this after that one, even with a "coffee bean" break!

I'm not much into sweet smelling scents but if I were to buy one, this may well be it. It never gets cloying, never too sweet.

But really, it's too weak and has next to zero silage after a couple of hours. I want a bit more bang for my buck at these prices. The shop guy said it's only like 12% concentration or something - not much really.

I've smelled this one several times now but I'm willing to give it one last go on skin before deciding to write it off for good.

rinz09
rinz09

Creamy spicy yummy tea smell. Yes tea! I have a herbal tea around Christmas that smells IDENTICAL to this. So much love for the tea and this perfume. I adore this one. It's very sexy in an organic way. It's very much a "Come closer honey, I got something to show you" perfume. The mystery is there. The glamour is there. The raw sex appeal is there. Josephine Baker would be proud.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Citrus,florals,vetiver on a slightly woody backdrop. It is done cleverly but once again, I have tried this before. I see the perfumer Jerome has done 4 Atelier scents and that's what this smells like. Very safe, non offensive and great for both sexes. Not mind blowing but suitable for the office and casual wear. Save yourself some money and check out the Atelier line which is more affordable unless money is not an option.

Maison71
Maison71

I've loved, liked, or at least admired every Byredo fragrance I've smelled up to this point, but this one is just very wrong on me. At first I get a flash of a nice dark berry and citrus, followed immediately by an hours-long fog of Sure aerosol anti-perspirant. The drydown is a weirdly nostalgic accord of sneaker sole and the synthetic leather of a basketball (perhaps a tribute to Ben Gorham's previous career?). This fragrance could easily have been called Locker Room.

I'm glad to have had the chance to try this out, but I'm going to stick with Inflorescence and Flowerhead, both of which are glorious and practically flawless.

angelayio
angelayio

I can't believe the complexity of this perfume! I don't think I can describe it. I love it!

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

Outstanding!! Exemplary fusion of notes.. I can almost detect each one..The marigold, vetiver, cedar wood, buchu, and bergamot definitely.. I also agree that even though pineapple is not listed as a note there's something or a combination of somethings that mimic the smell of a sweet smoky pineapple. Listed as unisex and I agree, but leaning more towards the masculine..I love smelling this scent on myself and it is a stylish and creative blend.. Longevity and silage are decent, but honestly not necessarily concerned with silage for the first time . This fragrance i will be selfish about, what I mean by that is I really don't care if anyone else can smell it as long as I can!!

kasienka
kasienka

This is my new love.
The opening is great: sweet and herbal.
It reminds me of some medication.
I feel very mature, very sweet pineapple, which I do not see in the composition.
After a while, the smell gets a little soap and water and cream
with a hint of citrus and vetiver in the lead role.
Works for me like a soothing balm of the home medicine cabinet.
It seems to me that the Bal d'Afrique is underestimated,
and even I know why - it is their poor durability.
I feel them very safe and comfortable.
It is a cheerful and cozy scent.
I do not know if this addiction, but when I'm wearing it-every move put his nose in places where I applied it.
I can not explain it, but the smell has something addictive like a drug.
I would recommend even to test.

WildDove
WildDove

Bal D'Afrique is an unusual light floral profusion, beautiful and well composed. The marigold makes it special and is not overdone. Very fleeting however.

Hoxx
Hoxx

The scent pyramid can be put rather simply if I only talk about the notes I recognize - lemon on top, orange blossom in the middle and vetiver in the base. I can easily trust you all about African marigold and buchu since I feel some additional notes to the mentioned three, but I don't really know those two smells, unfortunately.

The transitions in BdA are not sharp - every phase keeps the preceding note in a way. That's why you won't get a sharp or green or woody or earthy vetiver note - it may seem absurd, but, in this case, try to think of a sweet vetiver(I guess that's where the comparisons with Vetiver Tonka come from). All of that is coming from a slightly indolic, poisonously sweet orange flower note. I have never spotted a variety of it with so much sugariness, and I was convinced that it was mixed with vanilla or some similar accord, but it seems that I'm alone in that thought. However, to me, this ultra-sweet orange blossom is the main player here, and the vetiver is second to it. The opening lemon note is also well-mannered, but it gets shadowed by the others in little time.

This perfume has a decent projection and very good longevity of, approximately, eight hours on my skin. However, it's important to be a bit careful with dosage as the scent is rather sweet, and it can easily become cloying if you overapply. I see this fragrance as a viable choice for both genders and for most occasions - again, if carefully applied.

All in all, this is a perfume for those who like sweet scents and vetiver, but you have to be at least tolerant to orange blossom in order to like or love this one. And, while I love all those notes, I feel like, even if there's absolutely nothing wrong with this one, it will easily get you bored if it's your only one or one of few you have. Still, it will get a solid mark, and it would be an equally solid addition to a lady's or a gentleman's collection.

vserdar
vserdar

Happy and fresh from the beginning all the way down.Many people claim this to be on the feminine side.I totally disagree to this view because sweet does not mean feminine.My wife also tried it on and I can assure you that this is a masculine take on and the note combination is totally masculine.ı would not want to smell a woman with this kind of vetiver usage.By the way buchu is perfect and vetiver combination in this masterpiece is perfect.ı do not like vetiver that much but here in this combination you can understand what vetiver is for.Amber musk and light...No need to say more...

Ivanqa
Ivanqa

Bal d’Afrique is one of my favorite fragrances to take on holiday, because it's so playful, even cheeky. It's rather original.
I can smell leather, amber, plenty of citrus and jasmin.
It's hard to describe, but what I love about it is that it reminds me of a fresh cigar smoke in an open air beach bar :) Might be caused by the vetiver.
And there's the body range which makes it even more delicious when used together.

Allinug
Allinug

The first time I tried Bal d*Afrique I smelled flowers. The next time I put it on it was all about a gourmand smell and the next time after that the flowers were back. Yesterday it was gourmand again and today it's citrus but I love it that way and it's exciting not to know what the smell will be. This is truly a mysterious and wonderful perfume, just love it.

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

Bright pleasing opening, with some vetiver and fruit and some florals. That lasts on my skin for some 20 minutes.

However, the drydown which is what really lasts for hours, is characterised by that same vetiver accord as is in vetiver tonka.

If that is what you like, then this one has a less gourmand sweet opening than the Hermes Vetiver Tonka, but, in the end they are similar

'Nein danke' for me, but others may really like it and it's unisex and it lasts.

amaraztavich

This is a faint shadow of the beautiful vintage ralph lauren,s SAFARI........ after sniffing side by side I am sure now that this is a weeker version of my beloved safari..... I treasure my vintage bottle....the bottle us equally ad gorgeous as its contents

spidola
spidola

This perfume is like a beautiful wooden tray with colorful exotic fruits… You have to love both – woods and fruits for admire this joyful scent.
It opens with really pleasant, fresh, wooden, citrusy smell - like a wind in Amazonia. That’s the most beautiful part for my nose, but it lasts only 10 minutes. Then it settles down and you can smell sweet fruits. It’s strange, that there is only blackcurrant as a fruit – I was sure to see a lot of tropical fruits among the notes. The concentration of it must be elevate. And as I do not like blackcurrant and fruity notes in general, I do not enjoy Bal d’Afrique so much anymore. But I think it’s a nice composition and gives positive feelings, so I suggest to give it a try – it could be great for summer time.

Longevity 5 hours.

Housebliss
Housebliss

To me this smells like Green without the grassy notes found in Green. At the top I was sure I smelled passion fruit, but that quickly vanished.

After a while it settled into a clean smelling soap with hints of lemon and flowers, lovely.

As for sillage, one spray on the top of my hand, and people around me could smell it. This one I could detect on my skin after I took a shower. Longevity is ace.

Perhaps a bit too feminine, but very nice.

ckman2011

عطر منعش للأجواء المعتدلة والحارة وحتى في الشتاء
يعيبه ضعف الثبات والسعر المرتفع 880 درهم ل 100 مل

برأيي يستحق التجربة للمحبين لعطور النيش
انا مستمتع جدا بهذا الابداع

With such a name I was expecting something hot and noticeable, but I was disappointed. Quiet enough fragrance with the vetiver note as the leading. Smells boring enough for its name.

magneto78
magneto78

I HATE Vetiver Tonka. Smells like vetiver and cheap cigarettes. I LOVE this stuff. Very airy and fruity

Soo just a perfect smell... Butt butt butt .. Very bad longevety...

williamvargas
williamvargas

one truly fine fragrance a softer fragrance that has such a unique aroma. it is very alluring , safe comfortable and trusted. then it gets sneaky as it pulls you all in and seduces you. I got a small sample to try as I have been curious about this one, was not disappointed, in fact it is one of those that I keep reapplying thinking i can make it better by more but I think just stay the course and trust the quality that is there. nice fragrance..price point is high so I recommend sampling first if you can..
two thumbs up for me. ( was a compliment getter at work)

coffeeandgrace
coffeeandgrace

It's funny how some of us are on this hunt for that HG scent...but even when we have something new, that we actually really like, we seem to think THE ONE is still out there somewhere. LOL Anyone agree with this? :)

I bought my first high-end fragrance on one of my first forays to the amazing Barney's perfume counter in Boston; introduced to me by my amazing go-to cosmetics counter manager extraordinaire: Deverine.

I told her I wanted something unique, soft, without harsh edges to it..something that became part of me, and didn't enter the room before me. She said 'Bal D'Afrique. It's beautiful and soft, but has a presence. Doesn't change too much as you wear it, but is still lovely throughout.' Love at first sniff, and completely different from anything else I owned. Sold.

I bought this about a year ago, but continued to 'look around'. I moved away from it for the summer months, but have just started wearing it again, with great anticipation of the cooler Autumn weather.

And I realized something...THE fragrance I keep searching for..this is it! Soft, and creamy, a bit sweet, a bit powdery and musky in the drydown...sexy in a non-vampy way...doesn't overpower, but makes people say 'something smells good!'. This is the fragrance that is just...me.

Yes, I agree that it can seem that it doesn't last. But I think it's sneaky...I wore this the other day, having put it on at about 7a on my way to work..and when my DH picked me up after work, as soon as I got in the car he said, 'wow, you smell good!'

So the plan for me?: time to get another bottle. :) I NEVER re-purchase! There are always so many new fragrances to try! And I think the body lotion is calling my name too...

danceforjoy
danceforjoy

I love the warm honey of the African marigold in this and the deep juicy black currants. This is a scent that is at once lively and colorful but does not offend senses of others. It can be grabbed from the shelf with confidence and worn easily by a woman comfortable in her own skin day or night. I think it could be very warm and inviting - almost gourmand - on a man as well.

somevelvetmorning
somevelvetmorning

Yes, the opening on this is just like Vetiver Tonka, however it's missing the cloying gourmand sweetness that turned me off of VT.

I don't get the neroli or any of the white florals in the initial 30 minutes, but I do smell the pungency of marigold. The citrus adds spice to the vetiver, making it more bitey and sharp than the smokey vetiver of Byredo's Black Saffron, or Chanel's Sycomore.

Overall, it's very nice. If you found Vetiver Tonka overly creamy, sweet or gourmand (with it's caramel, hazelnut, chocolate and tonka), Bal d'Afrique is spicy, airy and lovely. If you love both, Bal d'Afrique is a great summer holiday from VT.

amaraztavich

wow, well as soon as I read the name I thought of the vintage Ralph Lauren Safari (which was meant to and does smell like Africa) .... and then looked them both up, comparing the notes. And whatdoyaknow..... This is a copy or rather maybe a modern version of Safari??? I will have to now order a sample

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Today I got a sample of BdA. The moment I put it on I said to myself "this is totally like Hermes Vetiver Tonka, I must write something about it on Frangrantica". To my surprise, there were already 17 people who had voted that BdA reminds them of Hermes Vetiver Tonka, and lots of comments stating the same. They are identical twins.

I love Vetiver Tonka. I think it is the best fragrance for men out from the house of Hermes, and it is one of the top Vetiver fragrances I have smelt in my life. I hold it dearly at in my top vetiver list right next to Chanel Sycamore, Dior Vetiver, The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Serge Lutens Vetiver Orientale, and Vetiver Fatale by Atelier. To put Bda in this category is to say a lot about BdA. It is magnificent (else Hermes VT would not be :) )

So nothing new from me except to say that since they, BdA and VT, are totally interchangeable in terms of smell, it comes down to price, silage, and longevity to decide whether to go with one or the other. On this basis I have to say Byredo's BdA would be a better buy. BdA is an EDP, so I'm finding it a little longer in longevity than VT. On silage, they are both the same. On pricing, Bda is cheaper by $20 (based on the current market price).

AveParfum
AveParfum

I really loved this perfume, it was sweet, a bit fruity like pineapple and vanilla, sheer but has a subtle woodiness and a little white flower. I also smell a nice amber. I was enjoying this until I refreshed my perfume (it only lasted about 4-5 hours on my skin) and realized it was extremely familiar. It smells very similar to Shanghai Butterfly, which could be an inexpensive dupe for this. They are not the same, but there is too much of a similarity to purchase a full bottle. I already have a rollerball of Shanghai that I may never finish up. I do recommend this, because it's beautiful, but if you don't mind a cheaper dupe you might check out Shanghai.

Also, Byredo's description is that this perfume is supposed to evoke PARIS in the 1920's, with regard to some African influence at that time, so if you are expecting something that would smell just like Africa, maybe look into something dry and grassy like Timbuktu instead. Or maybe even my favorite--the spicy Seven Veils.

MLK
MLK

I really love this perfume. When I first sprayed it on, some of it went onto the scarfe I was wearing and I could not stop smelling my scarfe all day. It really is lovely on my skin and lasts for at least 4 hours - even more if you spray some in your hair. I have compared it to Gypsy Water and even though, Gypsy water is nice, it has too much lemon for me. Bal D' Afrique has less lemon and is more elegant for day or night, gorgeous woody musk fragrance unlike anything else.
Love it!!

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

I could not choose between bal d afrique and hermes vetiever tonka. So I bought them both. First weeks I thought these perfumes were identical. But now, when I had time to well test both I can tell that:
Bal d afrique is the weaker sister of vetiever tonka. It is more vibrant, brighter, lighter, more flowery if you would. More feminine. Lasts nothing on me. Gone before lunchtime if I spray it in the morning.
Vetiever tonka is a darker, tobacco vetiever, loooong lasting and deep scent, absolutely beautiful and enjoyable. Quite a masculine scent. My husband kidnapped vetiever tonka bottle , he loves it too.

Yes these perfumes are similar in the opening, but only for a few moments, then they take their own unique character. I prefer vetiever over bal d afrique simply because the later does not last. Otherwise they are both so fantastically chic!

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

this is beautiful! the opening is something out of this world, delicious. Got to have it!

mendwillie
mendwillie

This opens fresh honey very well Luscious will get drunk with this juice.
You feel light, feeling the sea breeze and at the same time very elegant.
Do not think the common, it is very special I smell this flower that is African too.
To love all that try this brand, it really is worth niche.

I classify it thus:
Smell: 10/10
Projection: 8/10
Longevity: 8.75 / 10

Scatje
Scatje

On my skin this fragrance is sweet flowery orange, that becomes a bit soapy after a while, probably because of the violets. Personnaly, I would wear it in the summer, it 's a nice clean sent, good when it's hot. Has a great longevity

Amos Jolthead
Amos Jolthead

Great unisex fragrance. There is a very nice balance going on here. BD opens with a very peaceful accord of florals and citrus. The citrus will drop off, to be replaced by more florals, but it’s not overly feminine. It’s done very well. I get jasmine and violet at the heart of the fragrance which is countered by the cedar, vetiver and amber dry down. Balance is the key to this fragrance. It is blended almost perfectly, lasts a great amount of time, and the sillage is just right down the middle. Not overpowering nor nonexistent.

sergio.fiorenzi
sergio.fiorenzi

Bal D'Africa is pure class. It is very well blended. The overall feel is of a warm humming, expensive smelling fruity amber that seems almost alive on your skin.
This fragrance is said to be inspired by African culture, and that African Marigold is included in the top notes. It's wondeful, it's a must have.

Cereza
Cereza

Such a great one! A lovely surprise from Byredo as they usually seem to dissapoint me.
The first blast is bubblegum sweet citruses and cyclamen. As soon as it settles fantastic mouthwatering vetiver joins in and a very natural smelling marigold adding the green twist.
I can only agree with people saying that "Bal d'Afrique" is a happiness in bottle, very up lifting, very unique. When it is at it's heart part it finally becomes "unisex" as the opening was purely sweet and feminine. The heart part is joined in by cedar, it gets a bit dryer, still very sweet, but wearable by males.

Even though the price is high for Byredo and it stays close to skin, also longevity is around 6 hours on me, I simply cannot say "no" to my urge to have a full bottle of this. A fantastic offering. Worth the price as it makes me happy.

blauriche
blauriche

All I can think about is artificial banana flavoring. I guess this is Josephine Baker's banana dance, but not as lusty.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Sweet and woody, with a hint of flowers, this is a perfect unisex fragrance. This would be lovely if it wasn't for the fact that the fragrance is almost too subtle. I could barely detect it most of the time!

John E Buoy
John E Buoy

I sampled this today, and quite liked it.
At the time, I knew I had smelled something like this before, but I could't put my finger on it.......until I later when I was at home. It is VERY similar to another bottle I have in my collection.....Pal Zilleri Collezione Privata Viaggio d'Africa.

annettepe
annettepe

out of all the byredo scents i really like this one together with Pulp. this one is sweet, fresh and florally. the dry down is woody with sheer vanilla. its very pleasant, clean, unique and complex. its a very sophisticated sweet scent.

Annica
Annica

Right now, I could eat myself! LOL. Simply wonderful! Love it!
Quite similar to Vetiver Tonka by Hermes.Highly recommended to both men and women. Not overly masculine and not overly feminine. Just perfect. Very moderate sillage, more like a skin scent.

tobbe.sjodin
tobbe.sjodin

I went to Stockholm today and bought this one!
The staff was really nice and he talked about the different scents! I loved that place and also love this fragrance!
The smell was for me unique, something I havent smell before, I went for a quick walk and then I decided to buy it! Its a really sexy nice smell, I love it!
Longevity on this should be aroung 8 h which is great!
for me this is a def buy! 10/10 <3

I took an immediate liking to Byredo BAL D'AFRIQUE but was confounded as to what this perfume reminded me of. It was on the tip of my tongue, but I could not figure it out. Then I took a look at this site and saw that five people had listed Hermessence VETIVER TONKA as a smell alike. Then it dawned on me: they were right!

How can a perfume with neither vetiver nor tonka among its listed notes smell so similar to VETIVER TONKA? That is the real mystery. Or is it? Both vetiver and violet are listed above (though vetiver is not listed at the other site I checked), and the violet might contribute to the sweetness in this composition. In fact, my impression is that notes are vague metaphors for what the perfumer hopes to convey the impression of in his or her creation. I do not smell any tagetes in this composition, though it is listed as the number one most detectable by Fragranticans. To me, this is much more about vetiver than flowers.

Yes, BAL D'AFRIQUE smells like slightly sweet vetiver. Calm and powdery and a bit spicy. I like it. Do I like it more than VETIVER TONKA? I think that I might, but I'm working from memory, as my Hermessences vials were drained a while back. I do feel confident in asserting that anyone who likes VETIVER TONKA will like BAL D'AFRIQUE as well, and anyone who does not probably will not. The Hermessence was launched in 2004, and this one in 2009, but sweet vetiver was a good idea then and it is now, too.

judyk
judyk

Lovely fragrance but nil staying power. I've practically showered in it and 30 minutes on I can hardly smell it. My little 2ml sample is going to disappear fast, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

***News Flash*** My anosmic husband can smell it across the room, apparently. Maybe it's one of those scents you can't smell on yourself.

Peachply
Peachply

WANT TO TRADE!

The vetiver in this is why I could never adapt to it, it just makes it feel a bit too masculine for me. I was captivated by it initially in the store, I was looking for something different, new, not recognizable...well I found it! I ended up using this as a bathroom spray and it does make the place smell wonderful. I wish I would have worn it for the day before purchasing...it's an expensive bathroom spray.

I can see why so many love this, just too masculine for my taste.
I've got just under half the bottle left of 50ml if anyone wants to trade.

prot72
prot72

There is not too many fragrances that are smelling so different because of your current mood – but Bal d’Afrique really does. Sometimes it is sweeter, another time it is more woody and dry. In some days I realy hate this fragrance but in the next I can fall in love whit this masterpiece – kind of schizophrenic emotions. I feel huge sentiment to Bal d’Afrique because it was one of the first few niche fragrances I bought – you know this euphoric feeling :-). Also the place where I found it was so unforgettable… my wonderful vacation in Catalonia, Barcelona. So now when I’m wearing it the pictures form the past develop in my mind. Bal d’Afrique is kind of fresh and herbal but not harsh, not poisonous, very smooth. It is very balmy in the same time and creates airy, a little dusty aura. I can imagine Vicky and Cristina can wear it easily and Woody Allen could as well ;-)

finzi

I'm experiencing a true love/hate relationship with this fragrance. At the time of writing my first review, I just couldn't get along with the perfume. Wanted to love it but had to conclude that I didn't. Then, lo and behold, I tried it again and loved it (see below).

Now I hate it again. The violets jump out at me and the perfume seems brash, awkward and just unpleasant.

Sadly, have to relegate this one to the swap list. I can't wear something that seems so changeable! It's one thing to have a perfume evolve on the skin, changing over time to reveal its various elements, but quite another to have it send me running for the soap one day only to seduce me the next!

Sadly the bottom line is that this is now a scrubber for me. :-/

***UPDATE***

Oh, how wrong I was... I do indeed ADORE this perfume.

I tried this scent again, this time making sure that I washed the skin first to remove any trace of body lotion near my wrists. The lotion I use is unscented but I read somewhere that even an unscented lotion can interfere with perfume. I also tried it when my nose was fresh, rather than after smelling a few others in the store.

The scent opens with a fresh citrus zing, but not as sharp as it seemed last time. The sweet floral accord is smooth, sultry and superbly feminine. I feel seduced and mesmerised by Bal d'Afrique. The sweetness is never cloying as it can be with gourmand or vanilla-type perfumes, it is fresh and subtle, suggestive of the fruits I mentioned in my earlier review. It also has a slightly salty, cool accord - it's not always obvious but it's definitely there somewhere.

Good longevity, lasting at least six hours on my skin, days on clothing. Projection seems fair, but I find that very difficult to gauge, so your mileage may vary.

The understated sensuality of this fragrance makes it ideal for any time of day or night.

I've been wearing this for a couple of days and it is my new signature scent. I am delighted. I'm so glad I decided to try this perfume again. Had I missed out on this dream of a scent it would have been a minor tragedy.

I simply can't stop smelling my wrist and my boyfriend adores the perfume as much as I do. It smells very similar to Clive Christian's X for women but is less scandalously priced!

Superb fragrance, cannot say enough good things about it.

***YET ANOTHER EDIT***

I'm starting to suspect that my opinion of this depends largely on how liberally I apply it. If I apply sparingly, I find it far more pleasant than if I'm heavy-handed. When I apply too much I get those horried violets that I despise so much. With just a couple of sprays I end up with the lovely salty, slightly cool and androgynous scent that I love :-D

finzi

At first sniff I thought I adored this fragrance, but grew tired of it very quickly. Upon application there was a momentary dash of sharp lemons, followed by a couple of hours of what I thought were fruits, so I was surprised when I read the fragrance notes here and saw that the only presence of fruit is in the citrus top notes. I thought I was smelling berries and perhaps peaches, but evidently not! The fruits were sweet and juicy which I loved at first, but was disappointed when the scent developed into a rather banal floral base. I had hoped for something richer, warmer and deeper. Perhaps the vetiver and cedar come to the fore for others, but not on my skin. I smelt no trace of amber whatsoever. I would have given a great deal to smell the heavier, grounding scents of vetiver and cedar but alas, they never arrived.

It reminds me of the sort of perfume I always try to avoid in department stores - generic, feminine (bordering on girly), floral, but pinkly sweet and lacking any development.

I hasten to add that I acknowledge perfumes develop differently on different people, but this one is definitely not for me.

The search continues for my new Signature Scent.

P.S. Merry Christmas everyone!

talnyc
talnyc

I just bought this fragrance today at Barney's NYC (12/13/11) and I LOVE IT!!!!! I tend to group scents by season. This scent is something that can be worn all year, but it is a floral with musk notes. I thought this scent is great for now (Fall/Winter). As it dries down, the notes deepen and becomes very sexy. I cannot wait to wear it to work tomorrow.

It combines well with a Serge Lutens Vitriol d'Willet. Oh boy, what a wonderful combination.

Silhouette_
Silhouette_

Very nice blend of citruses, white flowers, violet and cedar - nothing really stands out for me. Well, maybe the smooth and green cedar note, which is a sniffer for me as always (meaning I have to sniff my wrist every so often, because it's making me curious). It's creamy and woody, yet quite sheer. I don't detect much of a projection and even less sillage, this is one for yourself and yourself only.
You cannot judge by the name however. It's a little bit like with Un Jardin Sur Le Nil - I seriously doubt there's a single square inch of Africa that actually smells like this.

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

Shares quite a lot of characteristics with their "Pulp", although the impression of rotting fruit in the garbage is not so strong here.

eMCizzle
eMCizzle

I bought this unisex eau de parfum just this week. This is the second Byredo fragrance I purchased (the other was Pulp). I'm a big fan of Byredo (aside from Creed). I love and am intrigued by this fragrance. A light, sweet scent with interesting notes. It's not too feminine and not so masculine either. It could possibly be comparable to YSL's L'Homme, but this is way better (and pricier--but well worth it).

This fragrance is said to be inspired by African culture, and that African Marigold is included in the top notes. However, the African Marigold does not originate in Africa at all, but in other continents including South America. Byredo fell for its conflicting name, but nice try (and nice addition to this fragrance). I'm overall pleased, and prefer this over Byredo's Pulp. I'm excited to see what Byredo fragrance to get next--I'm torn between Rose Noir and Oud Immortal, or even Gypsy Water.

Cheers,

M.R.C., age 28
Bay Area, California
USA

velb95
velb95

EN. I love the most of Byredo perfumes, but this one is really THE BEST! When you're wearing it, it feels like you're wrapped with love, it some kind of happiness, that remains with you for whole day.

IT. Adoro la maggior parte dei profumi Byredo, ma questo è davvero il migliore di tutti! Quando lo indossi, ti senti avvolto di amore. È una sorta di felicità, che rimane con te per tutta la giornata.

NatWeb
NatWeb

This is just gorgeous. I get really lovely fresh cut tropical pineapple on me with a very light woody dry down - although I note pineapple isn't listed as a note. However while I only have nice things to say, I'm not sure I can justify the $235 asking price in Australia.

guest_judy
guest_judy

...yes, it won't stay with you all day...but for the view hours it is present it will render your world.

if a perfume could make love to you...this one would be it.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Have you ever bought a microwaved meal because the picture made it look really good; but when you heated it up yourself it became a mooshy, nondescript mess?

Bal d'afrique. I poured half the bottle on my décolleté, but over the next three hours it became completely forgetable.

Since this doesn't sell in the US i'm not sure of the price point, but to me this wears like a low end offering with far-from-quality ingredients. Can't recommend it.

donniekaterina
donniekaterina

You have the feeling that you are taking a walk in a flower market.You get a burst of lovely feminine flowers!Among flowers is the beautiful presence of orange that blends wonderfully with jasmin and cyclamen.

guest_eauorangeverte
guest_eauorangeverte

I bought the "I Married Adventure" set by Byredo after lusting after it for months. I have to say, though, that I'm universally disappointed in each of the scents in the coffret.

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

I love how this fragrance is blended. I think this is a sophisticated scent that can be worn by male and females. There is something about this that sometimes reminds me of Prada Infusion D'Iris. Must be the orange flower, vetiver and cedar? I think it would be wonderful in the fall by a campfire or among the scent created by autumn leaves.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Byredo Bal d'Afrique fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Byredo Bal d'Afrique, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bal d'Afrique by Byredo. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bal d'Afrique by Byredo represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.