Designers » B » Leather « Groups

Baudelaire Byredo for men
dislike

smoky
leather

Baudelaire by Byredo is a leather fragrance for men. Baudelaire was introduced in 2009. Top notes are caraway, juniper berries and pepper; middle notes are built around hyacinth, incense and leather, while base notes are patchouli, amber and papyrus. Available as 100 ml EDP.

Caraway Juniper Berries Pepper

Obsession

Baudelaire Fragrance Reviews

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

I like all the notes listed but the fume is just... I'm sorry, I had a very visceral reaction to this. I had high hopes for it - I love incense, leather, patch, spice - but the amber, which I had hoped would take a back seat, is just overwhelming from the get-go. I keep thinking of when I was clubbing in the 90s all the guys who weren't wearing too much CKOne were wearing too much Obsession. Baudelaire reminds me of those suffocating, sticky, fuzzy, spicy ambers like Coco and Obsession. So rich and sweet as to be nauseating. And I can't even give credit where credit's due because this smells like half a dozen other creepy sweet-bombs by very big MOR brands. Me no likey. :-(

Ozymandias86
Ozymandias86

If you have not put your nose to this Parfume, then it's almost impossible for me to put in words how much this fragrance means to me. It is by a long shot, the best smelling fragrance I have ever put my nose on. It's In a class by itself and I can think of anything to compare it to. It lasts easily 10 + hours on my skin with one spray.

Today was the first time smelling it as I just blind bought it and received it in the mail today. For the last 11 hours, I have smelled my forearm approximately once every 20 minutes. Literally this immedietly moves up to my favorite fragrance of all time. A true fragrance lover is never finished collecting, however with this Parfume I feel my collection is complete. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I would recommend anyone who wants to be the best smelling person in the room, at home, or at dinner to purchase this blindly without fear. You will NOT be disappointed.

I just can't describe this in words. I'm literally tearing up while writing this. It just smells so good. It smells extraordinary. It's magnificently executed and sophisticatedly refined! Just do yourself a favor and make the wisest investment you'll ever make in your meaningful life and buy this...

Longetivity: 12+ hours
Silage: 2-4 feet

This fragrance has become the muse for which I consider all fragrances I purchase. Until getting a whiff of this, I've only been into the popular department store brand fragrances. Baudelaire hit me with the realization that I was missing out on other great fragrances from lesser known houses. I absolutely love this smell and can say that it's my signature. Initially it starts off with a hint of incense (think comme des garcon quality) but suddenly gives you a combination of leather, spice and berry. It's a bright scent that could be worn in the day and night. More casual but could be pulled off at a black tie event. It reminds me of my travels in South America. Think 6pm walk along a ocean front in 75 degree weather.

_Libertine_
_Libertine_

Oh dear. I want to think of Baudelaire, but this fragrance smells like something my crazy (well, Baudelaire too--so I suppose it's actually accurate in portraying a mad poet) father wore in the 90's.

I get supple leather jacket, sweet pipe tobacco as much as incense, amber, and subtle caraway on first sniff. I have trouble detecting the gin-like tang of juniper until about 8 minutes in. Pepper is up front, though for me it disappeared quickly.

Something green begins to develop, and an odd hint of something soapy-powdery that is complimented by the clean musk. Amber is huge in this fragrance. This scent is deep brown and maroon to me. And the madness is certainly there.

Overall not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped--I've smelled this before, smelled it for a decade as a child, though I have no idea which cologne it seems to imitate. But regardless of its lack of novelty, I think Byredo has succeeded in capturing something brooding, dark, and fatefully intriguing.

Liquidasset77
Liquidasset77

Soft leather and incense with a touch of juniper berry and sweet Amber rounds out this fragrance on my skin. Best for fall and winter nights out to casual affairs. Can feel spicy and earthy in the first third coming from the caraway pepper and patchouli yet the heart and dry down are sweet Amber soft leather and incense laden.

gelo999
gelo999

Fragrance dedicated to "flowers of evil" by the famous French poet.

The opening is very spicy, with accents of sharp peaks of pepper and caraway, juniper berries round out the line, it feels very leathery, salty, dry, overwhelming, out of the bowels of the earth mixed with burnt trees, incense appears , soon gives way to the heart of the fragrance with a very smoky leather attached to the hyacinth is the soul of the fragrance here fragrance turns around and feels warm, warm like human skin, drying balsamic amber, woody, papyrus and patchouli, dark background as ash, cruel, mature, complex and complicated.

Baudelaire is an exceptional leather fragrance type nuanced.

Baudelaire is heartbreaking and beautiful, like the poems of Baudelaire.

Rating: 7

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

For me, Baudelaire sits at the crossroads of CDG and Amouage. It is as clean and modern as the best CDGs while retaining the slightly dirty, opulent, zesty frankincense of Amouages such as Memoir Man, Journey Man, and Interlude Man. I consider myself quite a fan of all of the above, so this is going straight on my want list.

What it lacks in originality it makes up for in wearability and quality.

The opening makes me think of two fragrances mixed together. The first is Interlude man, with the sort of sweet-smoky ashy incense. The second is Andrea Maack's Coal, with it's dry peppered patchouli/papyrus blend. It functions as a better version of both in that its not as stifling and overpowered as the former and not as fleeting and baseless as the latter.

Shortly after, it enters a strange, more dynamic phase. The juniper comes out in full force, and suddenly theres a queasy, vetiver-like bitterness that seems to smell different every time I sniff my wrist. It's green, but also strangely gray to my nose. Sort of a forest green, but darker and less naturalistic. It makes me imagine a sleek, streamlined modernist skyscraper with some old, ratted wiry vines covering it all. Very evocative and nice.

Soon the bitterness backs down and a smooth, strong leather note comes into focus. At this point its a naturalistic, woody leather with a soft, clean patchouli underbelly. Very accessible and nice. There is a strange, complex green veil that I occasionally catch whiffs of while my arms are moving around. This stage sticks around a solid 12 hours, and I find it comfortable and warming.

Byredo is a fantastic brand that at it's best matches total originality with quality and masterful blending. Baudelaire is only 2/3 of the way there, but personally it's my favorite of the line in terms of wearability. I highly recommend it to any fans of the aforementioned perfumes and I will be getting a bottle shortly.

8.5.10

Falco4758
Falco4758

Not a fan. Typical strong woody gasoline middle eastern scent. Get frank Olivier black touch for 1/20 of the cost.

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Overall: 9.25/10
Here's Why:
Linear.
Incense. Leather, Patchouli and Juniper Standout here.
very Long Lasting, Soft yet assertive.
Smells similar to Creed Royal Oud (on me at least).
Great fresh take on the leather genre, perfect for day/night.
plays very well with others, specifically mix this with any of my CDC Incense Line (Avignon, Kyoto).
Great performance, what a wonderful parfum for men & women here!

Gigi27
Gigi27

I think this is unisex, like most of Byredo's offerings. Top notes are fantastic— leather, juniper and incense, but after a while it settles down into a linear very clean incense fragrance. Well-made, but I wish the leather had stuck around.

kazewayz

I'm sipping on some green tea & jammin, so I'd figure I do a mini review on Byredo's: Baudelaire. Byredo Parfum's made it's way into Neiman Marcus at Bal Harbour Shops in Miami... I was fortunate enough to try out some of the fragrances in this line. Baudelaire grasped my attention because of the name... In case you didn't know Charles Baudelaire was a French poet, essayist, writer and he is mostly known for his poem "Les Fleurs du mal," now, I don't know if Ben Gorham (head of Byredo) named this after Charles Baudelaire, but I figured I'd point it out. Now, to the scent it self... When I spritz this it reminded me of "Interlude by Amouage" the reason being, INCENSE! So, if you like Interlude, then check this out. In the opening I get a smack of incense/smoke but not church like, leather more like saffron, spiciness from the pepper, herbal patchouli note, & a sort of dryness from the papyrus, this then settles a bit to bring about the amber which gives it a balsamic vibe as well. This scent was reminiscent of a Gothic, medieval library... Imagine a bunch of old books being piled up in a dark abandoned library where only bohemian & eccentric individuals are allowed in, writers, poets, novelists, etc... Smoke from tobacco is in the air, ash trays on the desks, the noise of chess boards banging, people sitting in leather sofas drinking fine scotch as they discuss their books... This scent is a semi dark, smoky, aromatic, deep, herbal, mysterious & the juniper berries play an important role here by giving it a light touch. Longevity is great, projection is good. I like the aesthetic behind this perfume & that's what draws me into it. Well done Byredo.

Gilsan

I loooove this fragrence! I am a woman and I dont agree that this is for men only. This and accord oud are my favourits from byredo.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

An earthier, more rustic take on Dia Man. The foundation of leather, earth and incense is the same, but Baudelaire is Dia Man after a week spent in the woods without shave or shower; whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to taste.

Falk
Falk

This is a really smoky perfume. And the papyrus and the pepper makes it dry like a desert and I like it. I can pic up a weak (in a good way) smell of sweet amber who is hiding behind the patchouli and the leather. After one hour the juniper berries kicks in and fresh-n it up a little bit. I got some samples of it and I like it more and more.

fuggerone
fuggerone

rotten paper and freshly cut grass and moss and that rusty sinister Byredo vibe tasting of Tom Waits songs in forgotten junkyards in the forgotten ghostowns of the great American lost highways

curtmaster
curtmaster

WOW, DEFINITELY A LEATHER AND INCENSE BOMB HERE. TO ME, FOR THE MOST PART, THIS IS WHAT I GET.

kazewayz

Imagine a smoky ash tray made out of wood with whiskey or cognac mixed in there.... A very dark scent, boozy, sweet, spicy, heavy, thick. Not versatile, maybe a daring scent in my opinion. Longevity is rather weak, projection is moderate, close to the skin.

Gilsan

At first I get a weird mint scent but after 10minuts it goes in to a beautiful incense, wood scent and stays there. Great on a man but also for a woman that likes a dark wood, incense scent.

somevelvetmorning
somevelvetmorning

A woman reviewing this on my own skin. After the initial, delicious incense hit, it smells a lot like 'Black Saffron' but sweeter. It lacks the tart sweetness of the raspberry, and has replaced it with an amber that's a bit too cloying on my skin.

On a man, this would be delightful.

spaniel
spaniel

My favourite leather scent. Sweet, spicy opening. Supposed to be carraway, but I get saffron, honey and pepper. Heavenly leathery dry down, with just a hint of animalic and light lingering sweetness. Very sexy. Can't stop smelling myself when it is on. Decent longevity and sillage. Unusual, and very masculine. One of my signature scents.

MLK
MLK

This is great and very leathery scent. It is very, very similar to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. It is supposed to be for males, but I am female and I would wear it, just like I wear Tuscan Leather..... Byredo's version is a cheaper option but I think that Tom Ford's fragrances win out with longevity.

siauseque
siauseque

No doubt I am swayed by the name, but this smells like an old bookstore.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

Aromatic, with a slightly bitter herbal nuance, delicious aroma. longevity is good, but sillage are weak.

meama
meama

117) more Bel Air
Ha! with a name like that I expected to descend into the darkness of the soul, a hint of torment, les Fleurs du mal ... well this is an elegant fragrance that already has the merit of not being called Noir or Black (phew!) .
A patchouli three-piece suit. An opening-cumin juniper berries delicious but far too fleeting on skin and next the well polished patchouli (perfect for the office is saying!) with its classic vest of pepper-incense and finally a background of increasingly leathery-amber.
The evolution depends on the place where you perfume, it is very important with this perfume. I recommend using it only on clothes to keep the best, the top notes, as long as possible.
Baudelaire and the authors of French decadent literature of the late 19th century have always been my idols. Forbidden pleasures, debauchery, Satanism, psychotropic associated with an unmatched level of poetic writing is (unfortunately for me) the pinnacle of my expectations. I could not help but be a little disappointed by this consensus.
I wait impatiently for a perfume "Lautréamont", "Huysmans", "d'Aurevilly" or "L'Isle-Adam"!

Ha! avec un nom pareil je m'attendais à descendre dans les ténèbres de l'âme, un parfum de tourments...bon c'est un parfum élégant qui a déjà le mérite de ne pas s'appeler Noir ou Black (ouf!).
Un patchouli en costume trois pièces. Une ouverture cumin-baies de genièvres délicieuse mais bien trop fugace sur peau puis le patchouli bien poli(parfait pour le bureau c'est dire!)avec son classique gilet de poivre-encens et enfin un fond de plus en plus cuiré-ambre.
L'évolution dépendra de l'endroit ou vous vous parfumez, c'est très important avec ce parfum. Je conseillerais de l'utiliser sur les vêtements pour garder le meilleur,les notes de tête, le plus longtemps possible.
Baudelaire et les auteurs de littérature décadente française de la fin du 19eme siècle ont toujours été mes idoles. Plaisirs interdits, débauche, satanisme, drogues associés à un niveau d'écriture poétique inégalé représente (malheureusement pour moi) le summum de mes attentes. Je ne pouvais qu'être un peu déçu par ce consensus.
J'attend impatiemment un parfum "Lautréamont", "Huysmans", "Aurevilly" ou "L'Isle-Adam"!

fenxx
fenxx

This is sweet, smoky and great. I really like it and think it is underated.

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Love the scent. A slightly woody, rich, warm, almost sweet scent with leather and some incense. Exotic but comforting. Very nice.

I found that the longevity really depends on where you apply the scent. If I apply it to my wrists or neck it doesn't last long, but if I put it closer to my chest, near my colar bone, it lasts all day. Also, if you get any on your clothes it will last a very long time, 8 hours or more.

Giabbotomato
Giabbotomato

I love this perfume. It needed time, but today I would have bought it. It is a little complicated to understand at the beginning: really dark and smoky. I would say that it reminds me of smoky whiskey.
Then it turns to be a nice spicy scent with incense and lavander.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

I have made several attempts to this fragrance, not being sure whether I want it and what I feel about it but surely I could not forget about it. Finally (and luckily) after a couple of tests I have made up my mind in line with my senses - I do love it - great mix of juniper, patchouli, hyacinth, papyrus and incense -simply beautiful. Stunning opening! Great on my skin and clothes. Recommended.

MrMookie
MrMookie

I sprayed it, went to work last week and i walked into a room with 2 men, both men who are not using perfume & eau de Toilette at all... (Besides daily deodorant.)

Both said : damn that smells nice what are you wearing!

Ok... point made > its a great scent !
Its an non-offending great balanced (maybe the best for men from byredo in my opnion)scent.
great notes with Hyacinth and Juniper its notes are uncommon buth well blend together!
like it,love it, and i will describe later what i feel in it.
For now a winner.

belleotero
belleotero

I'm mystified as to why this is categorized as a men's fragrance. A female friend turned me onto it: it smells good on me, extraordinary on her, and not even slightly masculine on either of us. Gorgeous!!

This was a lovely woody incense first on, then turned into a fairly linear patchouli, which is one of my least favorite notes in perfumerie. Up side for those who like patchouli, I couldn't scrub it off no matter how hard I tried and kept getting whiffs of it all day long. Downside, I really really don't like patchouli.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Spicy, woody, and a little sweet, but basically a typical generic lavender-tonka-woody “masculine” scent pumped up with something that to me smells like saffron, and some low-key incense notes. Maybe what I perceive as saffron is a hefty dose of safraleine that was used in the leather accord.

This is an odd scent in that I smell a whole lot of sillage for a few hours, but not as much up close, a transparent scent that ought to be opaque and full-bodied. As the sillage recedes, what’s left is a slightly floral smelling leather skin scent with a trace of sandalwood, a microscopic bit of patchouli, and something musky in the background.

Why so many people say they hate this perfume is beyond me. It seems to be a case of one initial nasty review forming public opinion, so that everyone rushes to jump in and kick the poor guy who’s down with no thought as to whether he deserves it or not. In fact, Baudelaire is no better or worse than most of the other perfumes that are out there, be they mainstream or niche. Yes, it’s ridiculously overpriced, but not as much so as some other lines.

Longevity is not great, but Baudelaire is basically a nice herbal-spicy-woody-incense fragrance with plenty of sillage. I would not hesitate to wear it and enjoy it provided I didn’t have to shell out the big bucks for a whole bottle.

marioslg1
marioslg1

indeed I cant understand how people are judging a perfume....if this is not an original perfume then were we stand? Some persons said that this has similarities with Polo or Antaeus.....I do not see any similarities, I have them all.....this is a higher class perfume. I understand that the leather note or the incense is something that may not be welcomed by everybody but this does not mean that you can find this perfume near the corner. The fact that for the time being, Byredo has only one male perfume shows a lot....they are releasing also now the fantastic man, under the name Sunday man, something like this...it will be available from the mid of June.
As i realized, niche perfumes are not the favourite perfumes for everyone. those perfumes are for the few who do not compramize with the ordinary perfumes and the normal realeases.

Hilaire
Hilaire

I must say this is a wildly expensive stuff for an oddly unoriginal perfume. I'm glad I got the small size and didn't spring for the bigger one. It's a compentent amber/herbal/spicy type. The quality of the ingredients seems high, and longevity is good too. There are hints of new car smell and lavender among the richer spices and pepper but I have to say this does smell like any number of mainstream men's fumes one might encounter.

The packaging and design are gorgeous, especially the little envelop of info that comes with and the magnetic cap.

Skorpion
Skorpion

Most perfumes Byredo I almost got to test and almost all of them liked but between them Comment Baudelaire and Green drew my attention more. Baudelaire as a fragrance can be used unisex (As Michael Edwards said on his website) But I feel like Fragrantica that Baudelaire is a men's cologne and not unisex because I think for some women to be strong... but if a woman wants to have the Byredo's cologne I suggest Gypsy Water or Green to test.
If your age is above 30 Baudelaire could be a special offer for you. (Provided that expensive is not important to you!)

zielona
zielona

I had high expectations for "Baudelaire" and... they are almost fullfilled. The beginning and first hours with this fragrance are stunning and simply beautiful: herbs [with characteristic note of wormwood], pepper, soft leather, "tamed" incense, sweet vetiver. Pure perfume heaven. But then comes this base note, that I cannot stand. Woody, but not in the easy way, blended with agar, nauseating, dirty.
Can it be the papyrus? I love it in so many fragrances, it seems almost impossible to blame everything on this ingredient. To sum up, I love it, but won't buy it. Or, maybe, small bottle. I guess I'm this kind of poetry-freak, who will buy everything named with the favourite poet ;]

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Byredo Baudelaire fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Byredo Baudelaire, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Baudelaire by Byredo. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Baudelaire by Byredo represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.