Designers » B » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Black Saffron Byredo for women and men

Black Saffron Byredo for women and men
dislike

leather

Black Saffron by Byredo is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Black Saffron was launched in 2012. Top notes are chinese grapefruit, juniper berries and saffron; middle notes are black violet and leather; base notes are cashmeran, vetiver and raspberry.

Chinese Grapefruit Juniper Berries Saffron

Byzantium Saffron

Black Saffron Fragrance Reviews

Farouhaa
Farouhaa

This is gorgeous ..very similar to Tom Ford’s Tuscan Leather but softer and more feminine. I really like this!

Lizka7
Lizka7

I liked this perfume, which did not have any staying power on me, no did it project on any distance from me. I am surprised at the comments that say they could not wash it off themselves. It has a pleasant saffron leather smell, nothing oustanding, not like other leather smells. It lasted less than 2 hours on me. This is one of the scent I like in Byredo line, I don't get indolic note here. The other one I am interested is Tulips, but I have not found it in person yet. You need to love cashmeran note, if you think of this perfume.

SirCharles
SirCharles

Raspberry, leather, and saffron? Gee, where have I smelled that before.....?

esmerelda4
esmerelda4

This smells like saffron without the initial honeyed note! I get a lot of soft leather with fruity and dry floral notes. It's subtle, pleasant and sophisticated, overall a good perfume, but not special enough for the byredo price point.

ameagari
ameagari

feces? i wish i got something that interesting. there is something odd/funky to my nose in the opening, but it settles down within an hour. no saffron outside of the opening, just kind of a meh sweet, bath and body works kind of a dry down. considering byredo tends to do some interesting scents, this was a pretty boring and generic scent.

seekritdude
seekritdude

Confusing that some people dont think this smells anything like Tuscan Leather. I agree with a lot of the others in that this is basically the not as manly version of TL if you will.

TL is a lot more powerful, thick, smokey, and potentially ashy and even off putting if youre vibe isnt right I think. And as that fragrance dries down(which takes a long time)then you get more of the raspberry and feminine aspects as they come more into play.

This is much more juicy, fruity, sugary and maybe even a bit berry fizzyness sorta at the top. Maybe as if almost you drenched some leather in some sorta of sugary berry juice, and you can still smell the bubbles and fizz at first.

Might get some hate for it, but im tempted to say I like this more than TL. Its more likeable I think in general to those around you. Where as again TL is more of a vibe when you wear it. But then again that being said, sometimes having a fragrance for a specific vibe youre feeling on somedays is fun in its own right eh?

Performance was good. If I didnt already have TL I might get this, and as said before I might even like this more actually. Ill have to wear it more to decide.

stelladoro
stelladoro

Incredibly dirty - like a fresh, warm, steaming pile of feces. A nasty leather that barely shows the saffron two hours later. I was suffering from seasonal allergies when I tried it and the dry down wasn't unpleasant. Not to be judgmental (I do like the scent of skunk spray, which may sound strange - my mother liked it, too. DNA?), but this is not a scent I'd care to smell on anyone. I do give Byredo points for bravery, or is it audacity?

ring0
ring0

فضا و حالت شروع این عطر که یه ساعتی طول میکشه شبیه عطر
Dries van noten
هست و همونطور که توی ریویوی مربوط به اون عطر اشاره کردم بچه گانه و شاید اینجا بشه گفت زنانه ست
بعدش کم کم بوش میره به سمت عطری مثل گودولفین و شاید دو ساعت بعد اصلا بشه گفت کامل همونه
اما نکته ای که هست اینه که اینجا هم نفهمیدم زعفران کجای کار قرار داره ؟ نکنه اون بوی اجق وجق شروع عطر که معلوم نیست بو خمیراسباب بازیه یا چیزی دیگه رو اینا منظورشون زعفرانه ؟ نکنه امثال این عطر هست که تخیل افرادی که نمیدونن رایحه زعفران چیه رو راجع بهش شکل میدن ؟
باور کنین 'نیش' و این اصطلاحا همه ش حرفه ، برند دل پوزو که نیش هم نیست یه عطر داره به اسم عربین نایت که تا نیم ساعت اولش رایحه زعفرانی که توی هرمش نوشته شده رو دقیقا میشه حس کرد ، انگار که زعفران با آب ترکیب شده باشه. کاری ندارم که اون عطر در ادامه افت میکنه ولی دست کم رایحه زعفرانش درومده و میشه بخوبی حسش کرد
اما اینجا یه برند به اصطلاح نیش رو داریم که اومده اسم زعفران گذاشته روی عطرش ولی دریغ از یک ذره زعفران

خودتون رو با این اصطلاحا سرگرم نکنین بزرگواران
و باید سعی کرد بدون توجه به اسم و عنوان ها به بررسی پرداخت

Xango
Xango

I get a wee bit of leather from this, but a sweet one. It's kind of random, but if you're familiar with the Revlon Perfumista (or whatever it was called) scented nail polishes from a year or two back, this has a similar fragrance to the 'italian leather' scent, though it's more subtle and there's a definite ash note in it that faded after a few hours.

What I find neatest about this is how it sticks around but doesn't travel very far. I practically slathered myself in it this morning and it's behaved very well throughout an awards ceremony and my workday. Would totally wear this again, even though it's not my usual.

assim.hayderi
assim.hayderi

Definitely not similar to Tuscan Leather. I have a 100 ml bottle on which it is written "Made in Sweden". The similar things they both share are the topic quality ingredients. This one is kinda more towards the feminine side compared to some other unisex Byredo perfumes that I have got in my collection (Baudelair, Accord Oud, Bullion, Bal d'Afrique and Pulp) but it smells really good. Pure pleasure in a bottle and worth every single penny you pay for it. I would use it as long as it is branded as unisex.. Have to say wooooow!! It is the perfect scent for festive events, especially when it is a little bit colder weather.
Projection: 8/10

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

Sugary, berry-soaked, modern opening notes.

There isn't a lot of saffron in evidence and this is far from a 'black' perfume, in that it is both feminine and more suitable for the daytime.

I don't get the ash notes that others detect, either.
The initial berry notes are pleasant but fairly generic and don't smell much like a genuine raspberry until well into the dry-down.

It fades fast to a pleasant but unexceptional skin scent.
It's genuinely a very nice scent, but I'm not sure it is worth the price.

Edit: The more I wear this one, the more it is growing on me.
The raspberry is becoming more noticeable to my nose, and I am wearing it more often, for the joy of that one note.
It lasts well on clothing and... who knows, maybe one day I will even get a full bottle of this one.

theladymay
theladymay

This is the first Byredo I've had any experience with and I wish I could like it at least a little bit. It's not at all what I expected from the reviews here or the listed notes. I got no leather; a nauseating, artificial, sugary berry that persists for hours, something chemical that I think is trying to be saffron, hints of ethyl maltol or something like it and an overwhelming overdose of cashmeran. It smells cheap and utterly synthetic to me. I usually absolutely love raspberry but what I smell here is something entirely different. I This is the first fragrance I've literally wanted to get away from in the past couple of years. I'm older than lots of people here and wear a lot of vintage so that may be a factor - but this is a fairly expensive niche? I'd take a bath in LVEB mixed with Angel and then spray myself with something from Brittany before I would wear this again. On a positive note, I had to wash more than once after 4 hours to get this off - and my almost anosmic husband could smell it at the front door when he came in from work. So if you like it, you should not have to worry about longevity or sillage. Sorry Black Saffron lovers. :(

I've never smelled Tuscan Leather so no comparison from me.

noseyboysniffy
noseyboysniffy

I'm so glad that this doesn't smell like Tuscan Leather. I've been doing a side by side comparison all day and Black Saffron is way more exciting, more clean, and just a better smell, oh! and I can actually smell a nice raspberry note. Tuscan Leather is sour, linear and just plain boring, I really don't know how it got so hyped up but anyways, I've really been enjoying Black Saffron.

Museumgal
Museumgal

What a beauty! Starts with a blast of real, tart, true to nature raspberry. The smokey Saffron and leather quickly come in and these last all the way through. The leather is strong but still feminine. Lasts very well! My favorite leather scent!

JEDI 2.0
JEDI 2.0

Rewriting my review:

This stuff is absolutely the feminine equivalent of Tom Ford Tuscsn Leather. Here's something i noticed the other day...

So, my wife came home from having ran 4 or 5 miles, and working out at her gym and when i hugged and kissed her, i thought she kinda smelled like Black Saffron. I asked her what perfume she was wearing, to which she looked at me crazy based on where she just came from. Basically, she smelled slightly "tinny", a bit peppery and i could also smell her hair spray and makeup. Also, something sweet which was probably the skin-scent remnants of the perfume she wore that day. I'll be damned if she didn't smell like Black Saffron, it was weird!

So, to me, this perfume is a slightly feminine twist in an otherwise leathery smokebomb of a cologne. It's lighter and more forgiving than Tuscan Leather but somehow still quite similar in overall scent. From application to dry down, they're strikingly similar.

Good stuff for sure. I've only tried 3 Byredo EdP's and they vary in potency and likeability. For myself, I'd rate this one as #2 of the 3 I've tried.

Zeyad
Zeyad

Starts with a Smooth dark saffron sweetened a little bit with raspberry, and drys with a smooth very accurate leather smell.
You may get a few notes in common with Tuscan Leather but it doesn't have the same smell, feel. This is much smoother and brighter.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I think this fragrance could be more accurately named raspberry Bombay. The first note of saffron is nice but then a sickeningly sweet raspberry, sugary rose scent enters and completely dominates the conversation for about 15 minutes. Fortunately this calms down with the addition of nice woods and spices. The final drydown is decent, with good leather notes and the tartness of juniper and grapefruit. But there is still far too much cloying sugary raspberry for my taste. Even an unsmoked cigarette vibe that emerges in the drydown cannot calm the raspberry. The fragrance lacks balance. More greens and woods would have made this a much nicer scent in my opinion.

lilalina
lilalina

Raspberry jam with a leather jacket. Very similar to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather..

nathalie87
nathalie87

I get a strong petroleum note from this scent.. anyone else?

Liquidasset77
Liquidasset77

Great scent but I can't wear it. Blind purchased this as a TL for the summer but it leans to far on the feminine scale 65/35 for me to pull it off. On a woman though WOW! Roof tops and summer nights, she will have the world in the palm of her hands.

arijitfrens
arijitfrens

Got a sample from a friend , and he always wanted me to try and said that i will love it so got it from him and Tried it and instantly fell in love.. Time to get a bottle... or may be a 50ml decant..

mhobba
mhobba

Black Saffron doesn't seem to project noticeably, but longevity is fantastic. I sprayed this 14 hours ago on my chest and the back of my neck and I'm still getting whiffs of it. The sweet raspberry and violet stay the duration atop a great smoky combination of leather and woods.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

Two elements duke it out here, and they are total opposites. Top note is a bright, sweet juicy watermelon (the notes here list it as raspberry, but to me its watermelon), while just underneath lays the smokey juniper/leather accord. At first I was thrown off: it starts off really fresh, sweet and juicy, then wait...is that BBQ sauce I smell? WTF? The fruity note is light but it has incredible staying power and it has enough transparency that the leathery note has no problem being noticed at the same time. It's sweet then smokey, then sweet again in perfect unison. What fascinates me about this how both of these notes initially sound so strange together: bright fruit with smokey leather. And yes they are totally contrasting but they harmonize pretty evenly and eventually compliment each other. The smokiness makes this way more masculine then feminine to me, but both men and woman can wear it. Really an interesting fragrance and worth checking out.

arsenal01

i want to add the performance is crazy on me....well over 12 hrs from 2 sprays to the chest and days on my clothes.

i dont get the how the performance ratings are more moderate :/

since it lasts on my clothes too which shouldn't have anything to do with skin chemistry, right?

cleanslate
cleanslate

Raspberry jam at the forefront, handcrafted tobacco cigs, like Nat Sherman MCD's, cashmere scarf, and worn leather with your own animalic smell. Given the strong raspberry note, I think it's more femme but very rock and roll. great fall/ winter scent. perhaps best for night time.

could see it unisex for sure since the dry down becomes less sweet and rounded out with the other notes. Great use of saffron!

Scentmad
Scentmad

The dry down on my skin is like the original Paris by YSL. I find it very rosy with a little spice and musk. I put this on yesterday and it transported me back to the 1980's for some reason. It feels familiar in a really fabulous way, I am certain it reminds me of another perfume too but at the moment I cannot place it, may be Jean Patou's Joy?

The only down side is that it doesn't have a lot of stamina and it's flies off my skin after a couple of hours. But for those two hours I love it very much.

Germany
Germany

BLACK SAFFRON, a fresh,sweet , fruity leather !

One of the best fragrances I have tried in some time. This is incredible !!! A very gorgeous take on Leather infused with raspberries , a friendlier take on the famous Tuscan Leather TF ,
starts out with a fresh smell of junipers like gin ,,,and grapefruit as well as a slight violets note , almost like a sweet cosmetic note , the raspberry and saffron make it borderline edible. All on a bed of soft high quality leather. This fragrance is the best of Byredo , it's exquisite !
It never turns stale or cloying. It's airy and sweet and stunning. A compliment getter !!!

White suede was my favourite leather fragrance for years , this is taking its place with its zesty fresh , sweet feel !

Needles to say all Byredo fragrances are packaged in a beautiful minimalistic way, bottles are stunning with a magnetic cap!
I also love the fact that Byredos don't necessairly smell like cologne or perfume but realisticly of things , food, spices, plants , fruit or places or an emotion.
They capture a Feeling and can be worn at any age to any place !

Update: wearing this almost daily , it has become one of my absolute favourites , it's such a fresh ,sweet ,airy take on leather, completely taken by this fragrance ! A master piece and second bottle worthy !

Update ;
This is now my favourite fragrance !!!!

arsenal01

Just ordered a new bottle....I was savoring my sample too much to not get this

Now that this bottle is coming in I was able to be more liberalk with my sample and its my sotd today going strong 10hrs in :)

arsenal01

will hopefully be picking up a bottle of this....think more MiP leather with the TL raspberry note (which i get prominently in TL)

love it, very pleasing scent with great longevity but softish projection

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Finally I have a decant of this!!

A blend of raspberry, saffron and the most "kind" powdery leather i've ever smelled. Very good, linear in a sense and turns smooth after about 30 minutes.

Some say it smells like cigarettes, so sample first

Me.Teejay
Me.Teejay

Black Saffron - Fruity Romantic Suede.

If Tuscan leather is the raw manly butch leather , then Black saffron is the trendy romantic chilled out leather.
The comparison to Tuscan leather is not to mention the similarities, but only to highlight the contrast between them.

This one is a fruity take on leather, and a gorgeous one at that. Simply put, it is a raspberry infused leather with the leather taking a backseat and allowing the berries to steal the limelight.
Semi sweet and fruity with a suede leather like backbone, this one stays in a nice scent bubble around you and intrigues others around you, whenever they get to sniff.

This is my easy to wear winter scent, and very casual and chic. A trendy leather, and quite unisex in my opinion.

Performance wise, it sticks around for around 8 hours. Projection is controlled, stays around in a scent bubble around you and doesn't project like mad.

Very versatile and a mass pleasing scent. Good job Byredo.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

For those of you familiar with Colette by Tocca, this is Colette's boyfriend. Colette Pour Homme? That's drastically contradicting, but this is quite a contradicting fragrance. Black Saffron lives up to its name during the first few minutes. Dark, spicy, prickly with hints of citrus and then suddenly... there's a fresh floral emerging from the smoke. Could it be juniper?? Hello Colette. As you're trying to adapt to the unexpected turn this fragrance has taken, leather surfaces and sends juniper back from which she came. This sudden change has given Black Saffron similarities to Tuscan Leather. This is truly a fragrance of metamorphosis and each phase is undeniably exhilarating.

Byredo's Black Saffron is surprisingly quite a hard fragrance to review. I have attempted to review this scent three times, and each time I have failed to sum up the inner workings of my mind. It's a fragrance I like, but I'm really undecided when it comes to placing Black Saffron into a fragrance genre.

The name, Black Saffron, is by far the most confusing aspect of this fragrance. For starters, saffron as a note barely features in this perfume's composition. For the most part Black Saffron is sweet and fruity with an ultra-dominant raspberry accord.

The leather note is not oily or masculine, but rather powdery on the skin, balancing out the sweetness that the raspberry note creates. Occasionally a sour grapefruit accord will come to the fore, but for the most part Black Saffron is sweet and fruity with a woodsy base. I have to agree with Sherapop on this one, it does smell a heck of a lot like Givenchy's Hot Couture.

When I happened to spray a tester of Black Saffron in the store, one of the sales assistants was intrigued by the wafting aroma. She found it hard to believe that Black Saffron was so sweet and fruity on me, as when she had previously tested it on herself it was in her words, "bold and uncomfortably masculine". She must smell this fragrance at least a few times daily, so her reaction was quite amusing.

The longevity was rather amazing, lasting at least ten hours on my skin. I don't know if I'd ever cave in and buy a bottle of Black Saffron, (especially seeing that it retails for $229 for 100ml), but for what it's worth it does smell lovely on my skin. Only time will tell.

muzzbait
muzzbait

quite a leather-heavy smell with traces of sweetness in the background. niceish...

Falk
Falk

Black? No! Saffron? No! This time Byredo didn't make it. Rather it smells like raspberry jam. I don't like it at all, unless maybe on a 50+ yrs old lady. And in that case it's May fit very well, I'm not sure. Like it or not, but I don't feel the spirit of Byredo in Black Saffron. And of course one can't success all time, and one can't please all noses. And this one didn't please my nose.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Despite its name, Black Saffron is more about suede than saffron. It is quite much similar to some contemporary, trendy, "polished" velvety leather scents like Tuscan Leather or Puredistance M featuring basically a suede and violet accord topped with a hint of fruits, with a radiant, sheer and dusty syntheticness all over - exactly providing that "polished" feel which seems so fashionable these days. So, shortly, a graceful trendy leather scents for men, quite gentle and delicate - and artificial. Not bad, but surely not great either; in my opinion it has nothing which makes it stand out of the crowd, on the contrary it smells more like a pedantic exercise to earn a cubicle in the abovementioned "trendy luxury leathers" family.

6,5/10

talnyc
talnyc

Black Saffron - sounds like a smokey masculine scent. Well, it is unisex and I would say a nod towards the female side of the spectrum :P

The top notes on me are the saffron, leather and vetiver, but the dry down is AMAZING! It transforms into a floral with a tad sweetness. A mellow floral with a spicy and a bit sweet dry down. Not too sweet, but the berry gives it such a nice transition and the way the violet mixes in with the berries....so unexpected, and it works. Well done!

I would say you could wear this all year long, but I would wear it in the Fall thru Spring and in the Summer as an evening scent.

The longevity is really good - 6 hours and it is not overpowering at all.

I highly recommend this fragrance. Do not be intimidated by the name.

CatBlanc
CatBlanc

BYREDO Black Saffron is a feminine version of TOM FORD Tuscan Leather minus the nutty-coffee element.

Black Saffron is a flirty tango between tart fruits and cigarette smoke. The final product is sort of an abstract experience of smoking a shisha pipe.

Whilst I do not smell any saffron nor consider this an exceptionally "niche" composition in terms of uniqueness, I must admit it is extremely likable. I have earned many compliments from those around me. In particular, men commented on this perfume being sexy and intriguing.

Black Saffron's longevity and sillage is excellent. My skin eats most perfumes and they dissipates within the first hour. However BYREDO (with the exception of a few, including La Tulipe and Gypsy Water), does extremely well on my perfume-eating skin.

I recommend it as a night out/ date fragrance for all times of the year. I particularly like it on a summer night, let the breeze activate the magic of Black Saffron...

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Joplinbaby's review comes very close to my experience with Black Saffron. This is strangly named since I get no saffron whatsoever. What I do get is is a woman wearing a rose perfume, dining on a cucumber salad as she sits next to an ashtray. In the far drydown, it definitely evokes Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, but Black Saffron is more subtle and less synthetic smelling than TL.

Hellita
Hellita

I thought I would love Black Saffron based on the notes, so I was happy when I received a sample of this together with my purchase (L'eau D'Hiver by F. Malle). Yesterday I tried it on my wrist and kept sniffing it throughout the evening trying to decide what I think of it. Well, I've been on a raspberry kick lately and this is deep raspberry mixed with spices so that it gives a smoky effect. It's not directly awful, it's just that I have a hard time with leathery notes in fragrances, so the leather combined with saffron (I think) is what put me off this in the end. I'm not saying it's a horrible fragrance, just not my cup of tea.

ularewolf
ularewolf

From the sample I have, this smells animalic to me, I honestly thought this had castoreum in it; to my nose it smells a bit dirty as well. It's kind of feminine to my nose in a perfumey way and it choked my girlfriend out from one spritz from a sample. This is not a favorite of mine.

yvashche
yvashche

Opens with cucumber then quickly morphs into Tuscan Leather. Amazing scent. Leathery, a little sweet and tart, wears beautifully.

-RJ-seventh
-RJ-seventh

Here is a battle between leather and rasberry.
I am not sure which one is stronger.

In the beginning it is feminine, leather with rasberrry and floral notes. Sweet and sour.

Imagine a picture wearing a leather glove and drinking a rasberry drink, made from syrup.

For those who can`t pick up notes it might remind a good shampoo.

Longevity and sillage is weaker than Tuscan Leather has. This is sad.
I would say it is a TL`s sister :)
Personally I prefer TL.

Edit: Still it has very good longevity!

hamtoo
hamtoo

I agree a lot with the comparison with Tom Ford Tuscan Leather.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Black Saffron, I love this stuff.
Leathery, sweet, citrusy, fruity, slightly woody, makes it delicious.
I absolutely adore the leather note in here mixed with the raspberry, it takes me back to a summer night of me wearing a fitted white button up, with some diesel blue jeans and some black shoes in the middle of a dance club. Yeap, that's the vision I get when I smell this stuff. The juiciness of it is impeccable; the grapefruit, the berries, just blends perfectly in a very harmonious way with the predominant notes of raspberry and leather.
Playful, classy, clean.
One of my favorites from Byredo.

Emma0714
Emma0714

I had such high hopes for this one... unfortunatly it dissapoints. A lot.

I can't smell any saffron or leather. Nothing dark, exotic or spicy about this one at all.

To me, this smells very synthetic, and strangely enough, very cheap. Like a "Green apple and grapes body splash" from your run-of-the-mill drugstore.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Starting to get acquainted with Byredo parfums on my many trips into the MeccaCosmetica counter in the CBD.
For mine,Black Saffron is a standout in the collection closely followed by Chembur.
As previously noted by many reviewers,when compared with Tom Fords Tuscan Leather the leather note has been toned down quite significantly and the sweet raspberry amped up to where the leather was.
There is a subtlety and layering to this fragrance which is not evident in TL ( I dont detect raspberry at all just full on leather )with the juniper,violet and saffron all coherent after the zesty grapefruit opening.
I have added this to my Christmas shortlist wishlist as it is so wearable.

bcray82
bcray82

Smells exactly like Tuscan Leather with a much stronger berry accord. Ashes in a fireplace with mashed raspberry. Also reminds me of Ralph Lauren sport for women. Not even remotely wearable for a man. Silage is average. The overdose of berry makes it smell cheap.

I liked this fragrance most of all by this brand while testing.

Spicy saffron on the leather base beautified by the mysterious black violet.

Intensive, dark, spicy and pleasantly smelling.

I like it.

p.s. I can't say that it smells like Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, because the leather note here is much softer. And it's good. More wearable.

eMCizzle
eMCizzle

To me this fragrance smells like grapes. I get a tiny hint of saffron here and there, like it's playing peek-a-boo. Not so much leather though, if any.

Wore it for the first time today (at work) and got a few compliments from females around my age who wanted to know what it was and where I got it.

Unisex, but more on the feminine side.

Me likes!

Brenao
Brenao

Synthetic, boring, weak. Very disappointing. You get a mix of raspberry and leather, a little bit smoooth and sweet, soft...not worthy Imo.

www.profumeriaessece.com
www.profumeriaessece.com

amo tutte le fragranze di byredo e black saffron sulla mia pelle ha una persistenza estrema... fantastico!

velb95
velb95

It's so synthetic, it's so Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, but it's so great and I just love it!!!
That's all.

Roge'
Roge'

If Tuscan Leather was on the Atkins diet, this is what it would smell like. I hate having the opinion of the public but I have to admit that this is Tuscan-like. This is everything that you would want in a year round fragrance. I find this to be fresh enough for the summer, deep for the winter, and sleek for business meetings. Versatility and longevity is what makes this a standout. I got about 8 hours out of this. At the 6 hour mark it became a skin scent. Do yourself a favor and spray till the Saffron runneth over....Holy Grail!!

"BLIND BUY WORTHY AWARD"

minniedoe
minniedoe

The raspberry note is the easiest to define. The smoke note however is less clear (literally) -- it isn't hazy like ash but more localized, sharp and metallic. Ah, these are not raspberries in an ashtray, but a tinfoil bowl whose edges are about to curl to a flame by the hot stove.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

Lighter version of tuscan leather, perfect for women who liked the tuscan leather but found too strong.

meama
meama

115)Il s'ouvre sur un coup d'éclat de cuire, un note intense comme une prise de cocaïne (oui c'est exactement ça) identique à Tuscan Leather ou Godolphin de Marly. Puis il s'adoucit très vite se recentrant sur le safran et la violette. Le fond boisé-vétiver apporte beaucoup de nuances sur une longue tenue.
Mon favoris dans la marque Byredo.

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

ashtray + roses
the opening is really feminine, but after a while this astray smell comes and the result is just delicious.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

I've owned both TF Tuscan Leather and Mark Birley Charles Street - both have a similar Leather/Raspberry vibe to Black Saffron. To me this was good but not great. The other two rank higher in my book. Black Saffron is sweeter and more feminine than the other two, likely due to the juniper and saffron notes. To be fair, MB Charles Street is listed as a men's fragrance, not unisex, but is what inspired me to give Black Saffron a try. There is also a smokiness to the leather note here that doesn't work well for me. Longevity and projection are both very good.

Hoxx
Hoxx

While this thing reminds other people to Tuscan Leather, I must stay away from this comparison as I am not really familiar with Private Blend – they are just too hard to find, at least for me. What I know is that Ben Gorham really has a crush on leather and berry combo.

Black Saffron is a correct name for this fragrance, I must say. It’s a leather-based composition with a sweetish saffron opening. Its saffron is complemented with an aromatic citrus aroma, making it a little different than what I usually encountered and expected with that noble spice note, but it’s here, no doubt. After that it turns into a leather-raspberry fantasy, with hints of woods and subtle flowers. What I got in a drydown is a little changed heart with slightly more woodiness coming mostly from vetiver note, but there is a great chance you will find at least a trace of fruitiness and leather. What you have on your skin should vary from this, sure. For example, my skin keeps the saffron note for a while, and the girl that works in a perfumery doesn’t even get to feel it on hers.

This scent has a pyramid, it is not linear like most Byredos. It is not as complex as most of the fragrances with the same price tag though, but you can enjoy at least two or three different phases. It projects within the arm’s length throughout its 5-6 hours of existence. Like with pretty much all Byredos I have tried, it would be too harsh to say they have a longevity problem, but I do expect more from such a pricy range of products. I don’t know how unique this one is, considering the amount of people comparing it to TF, for example, but it is a new concept to me.

I must say I preferred blackberry in Accord Oud over raspberry with this one as a leather complement. However, this one is more subtle in general, more feminine – although I still see it more on a masculine side, and overall I liked it more as a whole that the other mentioned scent. All in all, I see this scent as a solid addition to Gorham’s collection, a more than decent scent that doesn’t fully justify its price tag, but it’s as close as any Byredo.

8.25/10

french_cactus
french_cactus

For me it is a well done copy of Tuscan Leather of Tom Ford. With berries played down (significantly). So in that respect it is maybe more "testosterony" than TL.
I like it, still prefer TL, but if one day I am tired of TL I might switch to Black Saffron.

PS: and for once the Byredo perfume doesn't have synthetic drydown...

MLK
MLK

I initially did not think much of this perfume..that's because when I first tried it in the store, I had other fragrances on (as I was testing out a few on different parts of my skin).
I decided though, to go back to the store to give it another try without any other perfume on. It was amazing, I just loved it from the initial spray, I could smell the violets, it was just beautiful. I sprayed some on my neck and again on my arm and I was just smelling my arm all day. It was LOVE.......I ordered the 100ml bottle (they did not have stock at the time only the tester).... It will take about a week to come in and I can't wait to get it. This will be my winter fragrance as we are currently in autumn in Australia and soon it will be winter..... What a luxurious scent, I'm so glad I gave it another try.

I have found with niche perfumes that it's worth trying them a few times as some of them seem to 'grow on you' the more you try them on. Give this one a chance, I'm sure you will love it too.
Update: the more I wear this, the more I love it, it is an addictive scent, one that I can't be without. I've actually ordered another bottle as I want to keep one in my desk drawer at work so that I can touch up during the day. I love the violets and leather - makes me feel great!

DoraRoxx
DoraRoxx

Good Composition.

I tried it side by side one week with TF Tuscan Leather and Godolphin by Parfum de Marley as they are all really close!

What I can Say is that Tuscan Leather is more smokey and les raspberry while Black Saffron is less smokey and more raspberry sweet. A femininer Version of Tuscan Leather.
I dont get Leather at Byredos Composition. It is very sweet. To sweet maybe for some men.

Here some specs(max 4 Stars for strengh):

Raspberry **
Saffron ****
Leather **
creamy/ flowers **

In total it last 4 to 6 hours. Less then Tom Ford and same as Godolphin i would say.

Try it yourself! I prefer Godolphin still. Will update maybe in future my experience.

scent: 8/10
longevity: 8/10
sillage: 8/10

stephanieklein
stephanieklein

It has such a strong note of vetiver, to the point where it almost smells like mint, a cooling note that smells like menthol, not lemon or green but sinus passage opener, in a medicinal or male aftershave way. Shame because I enjoy all the other unusual perfume notes.

Wonderful! Soft and warm and suits both women and men. On my skin I get most Saffron, Cashmere, leather and Juniper. Not typical unisex but its great as a unisex. this is a true hug-scent - come close and hug me and get a wiff of Black Saffron.

Underbar! Mjuk och varm och passar både män och kvinnor. På min hud känner jag mest Saffran, Cashmere, läder och enbär. inte typiskt unisex men den funkar superbt som unisexdoft. en sann kramdoft - kom nära och krama mig och få en fläkt av Black Saffron.

Housebliss
Housebliss

I get raspberry and leather. I'd say it's more feminine than masculine, and it actually takes a couple of hours before it starts to get that masculine vibe. I do like it, but for a price of $250, I find it hard to recommend.

Edit: I'd like to add that this smells fantastic on clothing.

Lelabo
Lelabo

I got a sample from a sales rep and told me this perfume was sold out constantly in the first two weeks of its launch... Unfortunately, all I can smell is a female chain smoker's jacket. My husband loves it so I went back to get another sample and tried hard to like it, but again all I can smell is a smoke soaked jacket...I don't know why... Sigh!

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

Gorgeous scent! OMG! Sexy Dominatrix!

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This wears like a true niche should, with a richness in notes that's hard to describe. The words that sping to mind whilst wearing Black Saffron are warm and gooey, though I can’t really explain why. Perhaps it’s the warming saffron and leather with a gooey lushness from the fruity notes. The drydown is pure velvet, with intermittent hints of berries.

Very well thought through and crafted. Good longevity too, this lasted nearly a day on me, and that was from careful dabbing from my sample!

Byredo BLACK SAFFRON is not at all what I was expecting. It opens sweetly, like a floriental, reminding me of something along the lines of Linari or maybe one of the new Keiko Mecheri Bespoke perfumes. After a couple of minutes a dominant ash note comes through, reminding me of Boucheron INITIAL. At one moment in the trajectory my thoughts turn to Caron LE 3eme HOMME and ELdO JASMIN ET CIGARETTE. But the sweetness then has a resurgence, and suddenly I do believe that I am in the midst of raspberry, as is listed among the notes.

The saffron is not very evident to my nose in this perfume, at least not the scent of saffron as I've come to recognize it in perfume--or in cooking. Nor do I find this perfume to be very black. It was only on my third wearing, as I reached the bottom of my generous house-produced sample vial, that I realized what BLACK SAFFRON seems to my nose closest to: Givenchy HOT COUTURE.

The raspberry-cigarette ash connection is unmistakable. The big difference is that, while sweet, BLACK SAFFRON is neither cloying nor overly synthetic smelling, and the ashes smell clean, not like a dirty ashtray. Given the manifest similarities between the two compositions, I would definitely recommend BLACK SAFFRON to anyone looking for a higher-quality perfume in the spirit of HOT COUTURE.

petar.ciganovic
petar.ciganovic

This is so beautiful scent. Like it's from another time. On first very simple, but in fact it is complex and modern. Have never smelled sucah a beautiful combination of saffron based scent (and usually I don't like saffron)!

It's luxurious and everyone can see (smell) the difference. True niche, and true Byredo.

It is totally unisex, even going a bit to the masculine side on the beggining and the drydown. The middle is feminine.

The combination of perfect amount of saffron, vetiver and leather notes is amazing.
This is a strong and a bit enigmatic scent. For all day and all night. For real gentlemen and ladys. For creating an aura of uniqueness around you.

My rating: 9/10

Hamed90
Hamed90

This is a MUST HAVE for me. I fell in love with it as soon as I sprayed it on my wrist. Such a beautiful scent!

Giabbotomato
Giabbotomato

Didn't like it at all... this smells like soap to me. Floral and grapefruit opening, with a rasperry woody leather juniper berry base that just smells like soap to me. Ok, it smells ''clean'', but I wouldn't pay for it.

ocean.lake
ocean.lake

Just tried this perfume yesterday and it has the same vein with TF Tuscan Leather (just as I thought when I looked at its pyramid notes, raspberry and leather). Like others in this genre (TF, Clive C), it's definitely smell expensive.

I would consider to buy this due to its pricing tag is only half of that Tom Ford's. But, Byredo Pulp is more interesting and unique.