Designers » B » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Black Saffron Byredo for women and men

Black Saffron Byredo for women and men
dislike

leather

Black Saffron by Byredo is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Black Saffron was launched in 2012. Top notes are chinese grapefruit, juniper berries and saffron; middle notes are black violet and leather; base notes are cashmeran, vetiver and raspberry.

Chinese Grapefruit Juniper Berries Saffron

Black Violet Leather

Cashmeran Vetiver Raspberry

Tuscan Leather
Bendelirious

Black Saffron Fragrance Reviews

muzzbait
muzzbait

quite a leather-heavy smell with traces of sweetness in the background. niceish...

Falk
Falk

Black? No! Saffron? No! This time Byredo didn't make it. Rather is smells like raspberry jam. I don't like it at all, unless maybe on a 50+ yrs old lady. And in that case it's May fit very well, I'm not sure. Like it or not, but I don't feel the spirit of Byredo in Black Saffron. And of course one can't success all time, and one can't please all noses. And this one didn't please my nose.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Despite its name, Black Saffron is more about suede than saffron. It is quite much similar to some contemporary, trendy, "polished" velvety leather scents like Tuscan Leather or Puredistance M featuring basically a suede and violet accord topped with a hint of fruits, with a radiant, sheer and dusty syntheticness all over - exactly providing that "polished" feel which seems so fashionable these days. So, shortly, a graceful trendy leather scents for men, quite gentle and delicate - and artificial. Not bad, but surely not great either; in my opinion it has nothing which makes it stand out of the crowd, on the contrary it smells more like a pedantic exercise to earn a cubicle in the abovementioned "trendy luxury leathers" family.

6,5/10

talnyc
talnyc

Black Saffron - sounds like a smokey masculine scent. Well, it is unisex and I would say a nod towards the female side of the spectrum :P

The top notes on me are the saffron, leather and vetiver, but the dry down is AMAZING! It transforms into a floral with a tad sweetness. A mellow floral with a spicy and a bit sweet dry down. Not too sweet, but the berry gives it such a nice transition and the way the violet mixes in with the berries....so unexpected, and it works. Well done!

I would say you could wear this all year long, but I would wear it in the Fall thru Spring and in the Summer as an evening scent.

The longevity is really good - 6 hours and it is not overpowering at all.

I highly recommend this fragrance. Do not be intimidated by the name.

CatBlanc
CatBlanc

BYREDO Black Saffron is a feminine version of TOM FORD Tuscan Leather minus the nutty-coffee element.

Black Saffron is a flirty tango between tart fruits and cigarette smoke. The final product is sort of an abstract experience of smoking a shisha pipe.

Whilst I do not smell any saffron nor consider this an exceptionally "niche" composition in terms of uniqueness, I must admit it is extremely likable. I have earned many compliments from those around me. In particular, men commented on this perfume being sexy and intriguing.

Black Saffron's longevity and sillage is excellent. My skin eats most perfumes and they dissipates within the first hour. However BYREDO (with the exception of a few, including La Tulipe and Gypsy Water), does extremely well on my perfume-eating skin.

I recommend it as a night out/ date fragrance for all times of the year. I particularly like it on a summer night, let the breeze activate the magic of Black Saffron...

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Joplinbaby's review comes very close to my experience with Black Saffron. This is strangly named since I get no saffron whatsoever. What I do get is is a woman wearing a rose perfume, dining on a cucumber salad as she sits next to an ashtray. In the far drydown, it definitely evokes Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, but Black Saffron is more subtle and less synthetic smelling than TL.

Hellita
Hellita

I thought I would love Black Saffron based on the notes, so I was happy when I received a sample of this together with my purchase (L'eau D'Hiver by F. Malle). Yesterday I tried it on my wrist and kept sniffing it throughout the evening trying to decide what I think of it. Well, I've been on a raspberry kick lately and this is deep raspberry mixed with spices so that it gives a smoky effect. It's not directly awful, it's just that I have a hard time with leathery notes in fragrances, so the leather combined with saffron (I think) is what put me off this in the end. I'm not saying it's a horrible fragrance, just not my cup of tea.

ularewolf
ularewolf

From the sample I have, this smells animalic to me, I honestly thought this had castoreum in it; to my nose it smells a bit dirty as well. It's kind of feminine to my nose in a perfumey way and it choked my girlfriend out from one spritz from a sample. This is not a favorite of mine.

yvashche
yvashche

Opens with cucumber then quickly morphs into Tuscan Leather. Amazing scent. Leathery, a little sweet and tart, wears beautifully.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

On first application the raspberry & mild leather notes were very pleasant, but unfortunately they faded away super-quickly (within about 10 minutes) on my skin so I really cannot comment further! A feminine take on leather IMO, very much tempered by the raspberry note. I wish it had lasted...

-RJ-seventh
-RJ-seventh

Here is a battle between leather and rasperry.
I am not sure which one is stronger.

In the beginning it is feminine, leather with rasperrry and floral notes. Sweet and sour.

Imagine a picture wearing a leather glove and drinking a rasperry drink, made from syrup.

For those who can`t pick up notes it might remind a good shampoo.

Longevity and sillage is weaker than Tuscan Leather has. This is sad.
I would say it is a TL`s sister :)
Personally I prefer TL.

hamtoo
hamtoo

I agree a lot with the comparison with Tom Ford Tuscan Leather.

markrosedale
markrosedale

Sweet floral. Its nice because it isn't old-lady floral and it doesn't smell synthetic sweet.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Black Saffron, I love this stuff.
Leathery, sweet, citrusy, fruity, slightly woody, makes it delicious.
I absolutely adore the leather note in here mixed with the raspberry, it takes me back to a summer night of me wearing a fitted white button up, with some diesel blue jeans and some black shoes in the middle of a dance club. Yeap, that's the vision I get when I smell this stuff. The juiciness of it is impeccable; the grapefruit, the berries, just blends perfectly in a very harmonious way with the predominant notes of raspberry and leather.
Playful, classy, clean.
One of my favorites from Byredo.

Emma0714
Emma0714

I had such high hopes for this one... unfortunatly it dissapoints. A lot.

I can't smell any saffron or leather. Nothing dark, exotic or spicy about this one at all.

To me, this smells very synthetic, and strangely enough, very cheap. Like a "Green apple and grapes body splash" from your run-of-the-mill drugstore.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Starting to get acquainted with Byredo parfums on my many trips into the MeccaCosmetica counter in the CBD.
For mine,Black Saffron is a standout in the collection closely followed by Chembur.
As previously noted by many reviewers,when compared with Tom Fords Tuscan Leather the leather note has been toned down quite significantly and the sweet raspberry amped up to where the leather was.
There is a subtlety and layering to this fragrance which is not evident in TL ( I dont detect raspberry at all just full on leather )with the juniper,violet and saffron all coherent after the zesty grapefruit opening.
I have added this to my Christmas shortlist wishlist as it is so wearable.

bcray82
bcray82

Smells exactly like Tuscan Leather with a much stronger berry accord. Ashes in a fireplace with mashed raspberry. Also reminds me of Ralph Lauren sport for women. Not even remotely wearable for a man. Silage is average. The overdose of berry makes it smell cheap.

I liked this fragrance most of all by this brand while testing.

Spicy saffron on the leather base beautified by the mysterious black violet.

Intensive, dark, spicy and pleasantly smelling.

I like it.

p.s. I can't say that it smells like Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, because the leather note here is much softer. And it's good. More wearable.

eMCizzle
eMCizzle

To me this fragrance smells like grapes. I get a tiny hint of saffron here and there, like it's playing peek-a-boo. Not so much leather though, if any.

Wore it for the first time today (at work) and got a few compliments from females around my age who wanted to know what it was and where I got it.

Unisex, but more on the feminine side.

Me likes!

Brenao
Brenao

Synthetic, boring, weak. Very disappointing. You get a mix of raspberry and leather, a little bit smoooth and sweet, soft...not worthy Imo.

www.profumeriaessece.com
www.profumeriaessece.com

amo tutte le fragranze di byredo e black saffron sulla mia pelle ha una persistenza estrema... fantastico!

velb95
velb95

It's so synthetic, it's so Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, but it's so great and I just love it!!!
That's all.

Roge'
Roge'

If Tuscan Leather was on the Atkins diet, this is what it would smell like. I hate having the opinion of the public but I have to admit that this is Tuscan-like. This is everything that you would want in a year round fragrance. I find this to be fresh enough for the summer, deep for the winter, and sleek for business meetings. Versatility and longevity is what makes this a standout. I got about 8 hours out of this. At the 6 hour mark it became a skin scent. Do yourself a favor and spray till the Saffron runneth over....Holy Grail!!

"BLIND BUY WORTHY AWARD"

minniedoe
minniedoe

The raspberry note is the easiest to define. The smoke note however is less clear (literally) -- it isn't hazy like ash but more localized, sharp and metallic. Ah, these are not raspberries in an ashtray, but a tinfoil bowl whose edges are about to curl to a flame by the hot stove.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

Lighter version of tuscan leather, perfect for women who liked the tuscan leather but found too strong.

meama
meama

115)Il s'ouvre sur un coup d'éclat de cuire, un note intense comme une prise de cocaïne (oui c'est exactement ça) identique à Tuscan Leather ou Godolphin de Marly. Puis il s'adoucit très vite se recentrant sur le safran et la violette. Le fond boisé-vétiver apporte beaucoup de nuances sur une longue tenue.
Mon favoris dans la marque Byredo.

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

ashtray + roses
the opening is really feminine, but after a while this astray smell comes and the result is just delicious.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

I've owned both TF Tuscan Leather and Mark Birley Charles Street - both have a similar Leather/Raspberry vibe to Black Saffron. To me this was good but not great. The other two rank higher in my book. Black Saffron is sweeter and more feminine than the other two, likely due to the juniper and saffron notes. To be fair, MB Charles Street is listed as a men's fragrance, not unisex, but is what inspired me to give Black Saffron a try. There is also a smokiness to the leather note here that doesn't work well for me. Longevity and projection are both very good.

Hoxx
Hoxx

While this thing reminds other people to Tuscan Leather, I must stay away from this comparison as I am not really familiar with Private Blend – they are just too hard to find, at least for me. What I know is that Ben Gorham really has a crush on leather and berry combo.

Black Saffron is a correct name for this fragrance, I must say. It’s a leather-based composition with a sweetish saffron opening. Its saffron is complemented with an aromatic citrus aroma, making it a little different than what I usually encountered and expected with that noble spice note, but it’s here, no doubt. After that it turns into a leather-raspberry fantasy, with hints of woods and subtle flowers. What I got in a drydown is a little changed heart with slightly more woodiness coming mostly from vetiver note, but there is a great chance you will find at least a trace of fruitiness and leather. What you have on your skin should vary from this, sure. For example, my skin keeps the saffron note for a while, and the girl that works in a perfumery doesn’t even get to feel it on hers.

This scent has a pyramid, it is not linear like most Byredos. It is not as complex as most of the fragrances with the same price tag though, but you can enjoy at least two or three different phases. It projects within the arm’s length throughout its 5-6 hours of existence. Like with pretty much all Byredos I have tried, it would be too harsh to say they have a longevity problem, but I do expect more from such a pricy range of products. I don’t know how unique this one is, considering the amount of people comparing it to TF, for example, but it is a new concept to me.

I must say I preferred blackberry in Accord Oud over raspberry with this one as a leather complement. However, this one is more subtle in general, more feminine – although I still see it more on a masculine side, and overall I liked it more as a whole that the other mentioned scent. All in all, I see this scent as a solid addition to Gorham’s collection, a more than decent scent that doesn’t fully justify its price tag, but it’s as close as any Byredo.

8.25/10

french_cactus
french_cactus

For me it is a well done copy of Tuscan Leather of Tom Ford. With berries played down (significantly). So in that respect it is maybe more "testosterony" than TL.
I like it, still prefer TL, but if one day I am tired of TL I might switch to Black Saffron.

PS: and for once the Byredo perfume doesn't have synthetic drydown...

MLK
MLK

I initially did not think much of this perfume..that's because when I first tried it in the store, I had other fragrances on (as I was testing out a few on different parts of my skin).
I decided though, to go back to the store to give it another try without any other perfume on. It was amazing, I just loved it from the initial spray, I could smell the violets, it was just beautiful. I sprayed some on my neck and again on my arm and I was just smelling my arm all day. It was LOVE.......I ordered the 100ml bottle (they did not have stock at the time only the tester).... It will take about a week to come in and I can't wait to get it. This will be my winter fragrance as we are currently in autumn in Australia and soon it will be winter..... What a luxurious scent, I'm so glad I gave it another try.

I have found with niche perfumes that it's worth trying them a few times as some of them seem to 'grow on you' the more you try them on. Give this one a chance, I'm sure you will love it too.
Update: the more I wear this, the more I love it, it is an addictive scent, one that I can't be without. I've actually ordered another bottle as I want to keep one in my desk drawer at work so that I can touch up during the day. I love the violets and leather - makes me feel great!

DoraRoxx
DoraRoxx

Good Composition.

I tried it side by side one week with TF Tuscan Leather and Godolphin by Parfum de Marley as they are all really close!

What I can Say is that Tuscan Leather is more smokey and les raspberry while Black Saffron is less smokey and more raspberry sweet. A femininer Version of Tuscan Leather.
I dont get Leather at Byredos Composition. It is very sweet. To sweet maybe for some men.

Here some specs(max 4 Stars for strengh):

Raspberry **
Saffron ****
Leather **
creamy/ flowers **

In total it last 4 to 6 hours. Less then Tom Ford and same as Godolphin i would say.

Try it yourself! I prefer Godolphin still. Will update maybe in future my experience.

scent: 8/10
longevity: 8/10
sillage: 8/10

stephanieklein
stephanieklein

It has such a strong note of vetiver, to the point where it almost smells like mint, a cooling note that smells like menthol, not lemon or green but sinus passage opener, in a medicinal or male aftershave way. Shame because I enjoy all the other unusual perfume notes.

Wonderful! Soft and warm and suits both women and men. On my skin I get most Saffron, Cacherman, leather and Juniper. Not typical unisex but its great as a unisex. this is a true hug-scent - come close and hug me and get a wiff of Black Saffron.

Underbar! Mjuk och varm och passar både män och kvinnor. På min hud känner jag mest Saffran, Cashmeran, läder och enbär. inte typiskt unisex men den funkar superbt som unisexdoft. en sann kramdoft - kom nära och krama mig och få en fläkt av Black Saffron.

Housebliss
Housebliss

I get raspberry and leather. I'd say it's more feminine than masculine, and it actually takes a couple of hours before it starts to get that masculine vibe. I do like it, but for a price of $250, I find it hard to recommend.

Edit: I'd like to add that this smells fantastic on clothing.

Lelabo
Lelabo

I got a sample from a sales rep and told me this perfume was sold out constantly in the first two weeks of its launch... Unfortunately, all I can smell is a female chain smoker's jacket. My husband loves it so I went back to get another sample and tried hard to like it, but again all I can smell is a smoke soaked jacket...I don't know why... Sigh!

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

Gorgeous scent! OMG! Sexy Dominatrix!

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This wears like a true niche should, with a richness in notes that's hard to describe. The words that sping to mind whilst wearing Black Saffron are warm and gooey, though I can’t really explain why. Perhaps it’s the warming saffron and leather with a gooey lushness from the fruity notes. The drydown is pure velvet, with intermittent hints of berries.

Very well thought through and crafted. Good longevity too, this lasted nearly a day on me, and that was from careful dabbing from my sample!

Byredo BLACK SAFFRON is not at all what I was expecting. It opens sweetly, like a floriental, reminding me of something along the lines of Linari or maybe one of the new Keiko Mecheri Bespoke perfumes. After a couple of minutes a dominant ash note comes through, reminding me of Boucheron INITIAL. At one moment in the trajectory my thoughts turn to Caron LE 3eme HOMME and ELdO JASMIN ET CIGARETTE. But the sweetness then has a resurgence, and suddenly I do believe that I am in the midst of raspberry, as is listed among the notes.

The saffron is not very evident to my nose in this perfume, at least not the scent of saffron as I've come to recognize it in perfume--or in cooking. Nor do I find this perfume to be very black. It was only on my third wearing, as I reached the bottom of my generous house-produced sample vial, that I realized what BLACK SAFFRON seems to my nose closest to: Givenchy HOT COUTURE.

The raspberry-cigarette ash connection is unmistakable. The big difference is that, while sweet, BLACK SAFFRON is neither cloying nor overly synthetic smelling, and the ashes smell clean, not like a dirty ashtray. Given the manifest similarities between the two compositions, I would definitely recommend BLACK SAFFRON to anyone looking for a higher-quality perfume in the spirit of HOT COUTURE.

petar.ciganovic
petar.ciganovic

This is so beautiful scent. Like it's from another time. On first very simple, but in fact it is complex and modern. Have never smelled sucah a beautiful combination of saffron based scent (and usually I don't like saffron)!

It's luxurious and everyone can see (smell) the difference. True niche, and true Byredo.

It is totally unisex, even going a bit to the masculine side on the beggining and the drydown. The middle is feminine.

The combination of perfect amount of saffron, vetiver and leather notes is amazing.
This is a strong and a bit enigmatic scent. For all day and all night. For real gentlemen and ladys. For creating an aura of uniqueness around you.

My rating: 9/10

Hamed90
Hamed90

This is a MUST HAVE for me. I fell in love with it as soon as I sprayed it on my wrist. Such a beautiful scent!

Giabbotomato
Giabbotomato

Didn't like it at all... this smells like soap to me. Floral and grapefruit opening, with a rasperry woody leather juniper berry base that just smells like soap to me. Ok, it smells ''clean'', but I wouldn't pay for it.

ocean.lake
ocean.lake

Just tried this perfume yesterday and it has the same vein with TF Tuscan Leather (just as I thought when I looked at its pyramid notes, raspberry and leather). Like others in this genre (TF, Clive C), it's definitely smell expensive.

I would consider to buy this due to its pricing tag is only half of that Tom Ford's. But, Byredo Pulp is more interesting and unique.

Black Saffron by Byredo 3.93 out of 5 based on 166 ratings and 43 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Byredo Black Saffron fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Byredo Black Saffron, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Saffron by Byredo. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Saffron by Byredo represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.