Designers » B » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Chembur Byredo for women and men

Chembur Byredo for women and men
dislike

smoky
Chembur Byredo for women and men Pictures Chembur Byredo for women and men Pictures

Chembur by Byredo is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Chembur was launched in 2008. The fragrance features bergamot, amalfi lemon, ginger, incense, nutmeg, french labdanum, amber, musk and elemi resin.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Ginger Incense Nutmeg French labdanum Amber Musk Elemi resin

Incense & Cedrat
Ginger
Nutmeg & Ginger
Nebula 1
Misiones

Chembur Fragrance Reviews

chove
chove

Imagine trying to catch the scent of a scratched zinc surface and you pretty much have my impression of the opening of this fragrance: It is very vague, but what is there is a fetching zinc and wire wool scent mixed with ginger. That is fair enough, but to me, the citruses and balsamic aspects of the perfume do not cooperate. Perhaps the case of Chembur can be said to demonstrate the compositional dilemma of wanting to be ”lagom” (a not translatable Swedish term, describing the need to be just right, moderate and to please everybody simultaneously). These aspirations sometimes result in an outcome that, rather than well-weighted, is overwrought. Especially the heart of Chembur is utterly weak, yet busy and it is only at the very end, when the fragrance turns softly ambery, that I get some relief from the discordance.

(My tester reads Incense Chembur, but it seems to be the the same product)

ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.
ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.

@Gigi27: I was scanning through the reviews and I felt compelled to answer because I had a 10ml decant of this to test drive and my fiancée made a similar observation.... Having been acquainted with fragrances for some 20+ years, I'm almost certain that the "dirty" note you spoke of is the Elemi Resin and the Nutmeg (much much less so). In the blending process and even in the spice itself, it evokes a dirty/earthy characteristic depending on what it mingles with... Whereas, the Elemi screams Dill Pickle to me - a nice touch when paired with roast beef or a smoked meat sandwich→ far less appealing on the skin.....

I tend to disagree on the lemon observation though, because I think Ben Gorham works very seductively, yet conservatively with the lemon note.... Of course, that's just my silly opinion......

Gigi27
Gigi27

The one Byredo I cannot stand. There is a very dirty note behind that lemon and incense. I can't imagine which of the notes is causing this. Otherwise a screechy lemon, not my thing at all.

suede69
suede69

Now my favourite. Very harmonious aroma which isn't shouting for every day. Good firmness on my hot skin. An incense with a bergamot sound magically. It is pertinent everywhere.

peppermoon
peppermoon

I get a lot of ginger in the opening, which is what initially made me want to test this scent. The opening smells like popping open a can of gingerale with a lemon slice on the side. It transitions into a woody incense base (I get a dose of Iso-e super, anyone else?). Light sillage and less potent than you would think for the price. Kind of smells like a slightly more masculine version of Jo Malone Nutmeg and Ginger. So far I'm not very impressed with Byredo. Their scents are "minimal" which to me comes off far too simplistic for the price, the sillage is weak, and my skin seems to amplify their more chemical aspects.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Didn't take to this 1, the woody note for me comes out from the very start and it's the sharpish, prickly type with that characteristic 'woody skank' that may be also amplified by the elemni (resin?) and ginger. One could say a bit 'sour'. Definitely not a sweet oriental!

Basically, not smooth and creamy type (like sandalwood) but I did like the Lemon opening, very natural where I could detect it and almost saves this one for me but all in all this is not for me.

It's basically a more daring, incensey version of their Gypsy Water with sharper woods and that 'something a bit different' theme.

Could be a hit for someone that can relate much better with 'pricklier' types of woods and incense.

My rating: 5/10.
Quality: 9/10.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

... and another dull, synthetic, vaguely “fizzy” incense with the usual base nuances of “pencil sharpener” cedar wood, here contrasted by spices and a sort of citrus-candied note (elemi). A bit ambery and vanillic, with a pleasant undertone of musky-soapy notes which provide a decent sort of “dusty” mood, a bit moldy too (ambroxan, I guess), enhanced by the slightly “rotten” sweetishness of some nuances of elemi. Then pepper, ginger, nutmeg. Basically, think of some (neo)classic woody-spicy scents like Cacharel pour l’Homme or Envy Men, rewritten with a prominent synthetic incense note to fit the current requirements of fashion (back then). In my opinion: uncreative, plastic, overpriced, still decently pleasant albeit in the least interesting meaning ever.

5,5-6/10

Scentmad
Scentmad

Another lovely offering - this has a dusty smell, which I rather like - It smells to me like old leather-bound prayer books found in a dusty church and yet warm not cold so it's unexpected in composition and, as a result, compelling. Perhaps a church on the Amalfi coast.

An extremely interesting and unusual fragrance which is unlike anything I have or know. I recommend this. It's blinking gorgeous.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Lately, I've found myself roused by Byredo Parfums, but Encens Chembur smells to me like a sheer, zesty impression of Armani Bois d'Encens. For all of the obvious reasons. Incense confined by citrus notes and a faint smoke of burning resins. Perhaps I'm not partial to citrus, but this line has much more to offer.

Robmeister32
Robmeister32

Smells like pork cracklings turned into perfume.

janjanjan
janjanjan

"Incense for Beginners?" - perhaps, but I'm hardly a beginner in this genre and loved this upon stumbling on it. Made me imagine a clean light wood turning to ember at its corners. A warmer weather incense, with the ginger and citrus.

1111ff
1111ff

Very transparent Incensy + fresh spicy very simply Love it

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

This scent struck me , looking at the notes I imagined it to be a strong, very smoky scent, but not, at the opening of to feel the nutmeg and ginger , but after a few minutes the citrus appear and increasingly are taking the lead in fragrance . The bergamot and lemon here are not sour , but refreshing , clean .

Incense not delay to give the guys , and divides with the plane of the first citrus scent, but it is not heavy , dark and not even remember the smell of churches , the aroma here it is light and natural , as if it derived directly from wood smoke aromaticas being burned but you do not know where , and can only feel slightly woody , smoky , resin aroma and little sweet.

Despite spices and resins as most of the notes , it is not dense , the balance between the citrus notes and spices was very well done , is a clean , light scent , and in my opinion is a varied choice for those who want escape the ordinary place where citrus scents

brightstar
brightstar

Chembur opens up very bright and citrusy, then you get the frankincense. It's not a churchy incense, it's not smoky and dark, it's very fresh and cozy, an incense that put a smile on your face. If you're into incense fragrances, try this. It could easily fit in the incense series by Comme des Gracons

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Chembur is lush, spicy and exotic but somehow managed to maintain its subtlety. I'm initial hit by the mixture of spices (ginger, nutmeg) and zest, before Chembur turns into a heavily resinous incense. I prefer CB I Hate Perfume's Fire From Heaven as incense fragrances go, as I find this to be more velvety and less spicy, but Chembur is definitely worth sampling if you're looking for an unusual resin based incense scent.

petar.ciganovic
petar.ciganovic

This is the best incense based fragrance I've ever had! Light and not so crurchy incense is here throughout the smell, but in the beginning there is such a nice fresh ambery and balmy note. Then it all evaporates and all I have is incense. Nice, gentle, beautiful incense.. This scent has no big sillage, but has a good longetivity. It is more like your private aura of beautiful and comforting scent.

My rating: 8/10

A fairly light and watery incense, but it's still a great resin incense fragrance. Sillage and longevity aren't very good though, and in the end it's not different enough from other incense fragrances to make me want to own it. Still, I'll inhale deeply as someone else walks by wearing it.

NoseySpice
NoseySpice

I adore this fragrance and so does everyone who smells it on me.
I love the smell of Catholic churches after the priests walk down the aisles with the incense. This reminds me somewhat of that.
I wouldn't quite call it sexy, the Rose Noir is sexy, VERY sexy. This has a more come close and cuddle me on a winter night kind of feel.
My nose isn't developed enough to actually tell you what I smell, sorry about that. I simply know whether or not I love a scent, and I love Chembur.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Now this is a Byredo -- at least in addition to Accord Oud -- that I truly liked and appreciated, so I'm surprised to see strong negative opinions of this.

Yes, it's incense, resins, coupled with amber, labdanum, nutmeg and ginger. Yes, you need to like more smoldering fragrances to appreciate this. Yes, it's priced squarely in the niche category. And yes, this has more than likely been done in some other formulation with subtle differences.

However, it still maintains a subtle elegance and remains not-too-understated nor too loud as many incenses would be. I suspect that subtlety may be lost on some and not others, which leads to the strong preferences either way. I found the longevity and projection on this to be just about right -- Byredo seems to get knocked on short duration, but that hasn't been my experience. Moreover, this either has a certain cult following or isn't produced in large quantity, since my Barney's rep has a running list for advance ordering and the stock is usually sold quickly.

I'll stop short of saying this is over-the-moon great, but it's a very solid presentation of an incense-inspired fragrance.

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

mostly frankincense (ok, elemi), which is nice, but if you want to go that route, get Avignon instead.

I've a feeling with Chembur I've not totally understood yet. It's shy, not loud, kinda laidback but it's there, and you pleasantly notice. Basically it's a frankincense fragrance but it takes its distance from others scents of the same family (Avignon, Cardinal, Incense Extreme) by introducing a metallic note in the opening that I quite appreciate. It's dry and cold at first, a bit pungent, a bit astringent but never too loud, never too much. The drydown is very gentle and comfortable, almost imperceptible and it gave me the sensation of a room where they burned sandalwood incense sticks (the good quality ones), but two days ago. My aim was to write a "not so good /nothing special" review but having Chembur on my skin that shyly appears with its subtile allure, changed my mind and left me somehow fascinated.
I don't think I will never get a FB of this as I usually love darker and warmer church incenses but, if you're looking for something quite distinctive but not too daring, give Chembur a chance.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Hmm... I'm surprised I don't see patchouli here, I thought I detected it. This is wearing like Kurkdjian's Lumierre Noir pour femme on me (and like Sublime Balkiss by a Different Company)
I.e, it has a high ringing, medicinal finish that I attribute to patchouli.

I tried this in the evening, adn in the morning still had it hanging on my clothes. I"m now wearing it throughout the day (a different shirt!), and I'm getting better sillage than I did with Bal d'Afrique, and I'm happy about that.

Ginger and nutmeg might frighten some people, but here it does not stand out, and everything is nicely balanced. If pressed I would call this a citrus infused chypre and not an oriental spicy.

It probably comes down to chemistry here, but if you are drawn to green chypres you will certainly want to try this.

veruska
veruska

This is an elegant unisex spicy scent that starts with bergamot and ginger and it proceeds in a honeyed resinous wonderfully textured drydown. I would really like it if it had sillage and staying power but i can barely it smell it, only when i press my nose to my hand, so it's not worth it.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Byredo Chembur fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Byredo Chembur, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chembur by Byredo. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chembur by Byredo represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.