Designers » B » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Gypsy Water Byredo for women and men

Gypsy Water Byredo for women and men
dislike

Gypsy Water Byredo for women and men Pictures Gypsy Water Byredo for women and men Pictures

Gypsy Water by Byredo is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Gypsy Water was launched in 2008. Top notes are bergamot, lemon, pepper and juniper; middle notes are incense, pine needles and orris root; base notes are amber, vanilla and sandalwood.

Bergamot Lemon Pepper Juniper

Anyway

Gypsy Water Fragrance Reviews

lesgalaxies
lesgalaxies

I'm sad to say this is mostly a woody vanilla on me :(

I was so excited for the juniper, lemon and pine but sadly got none of that. My skin tends to project sweeter scents, and based on reviews I just wasn't expecting it to be so vanilla-sandalwood-y!

It's a great fragrance, just not what I had anticipated. Maybe I'll come back to it in the winter

MysticRose
MysticRose

Upon spraying this initially I was unimpressed: It was extremely aquatic and earthy like rainfall in a field so I disregarded it. After 5 minutes a heavenly sandalwood and vanilla aroma with fleeting pulses of lemon was wafting towards me and I could not believe that it was Gypsy water! On myself it is refreshingly tangy whilst retaining a smooth and sensual facet. Lasted about 3 hours on my skin and is now just lingering in the background. I like the fact that Byredo offers soaps, body lotions, perfumed hairsprays and EVEN GYPSY WATER HAND CREAM! I will be purchasing this and the hand cream ASAP.

EternityFresh
EternityFresh

Man..I'm so glad that I like this perfume because I pretty much bought it for that sexy name..Gypsy Water!..this is a truly unique scent that stands out and is very earthy and dirty (in a good way!) The splash of vanilla and sandalwood seals the deal.Very nicely done.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

This is a very pretty fragrance.

Essentially, it's opening notes are an olfactory portrait of a lemon cheesecake sitting on a wooden plank.

It is a light and slightly elusive fragrance that features a very restrained and balanced sweet vanilla and lemon top notes, followed by more vanilla and a suite of soft woods.

Powder and a little incense are in there somewhere as the perfume develops - and this one does develop. The first spray does not tell you much about the ultimate profile of the fragrance.
It veers from a feminine start to a masculine finish, and I can see how different people will interpret it quite differently.

It is a transient fragrance, lasting only a few hours, and one that can be used quite liberally without fear of being heavy-handed.

archivist
archivist

I tend to think Byredos are wildly overrated at their price point. Seriously, they cost as much as a Guerlain top shelf, and they don't do much and don't last long. I had no real hopes for Gypsy Water and the opening did nothing to change my mind. I reviewed it. It wasn't a good review. It faded away. Fast forward two hours. I'm sitting in a waiting room and it suddenly blooms again, into the most voluptuous cloud of incense and vanilla. It's delicious. That phase lasts for hours and hours, until my bath. It makes my want list. I find myself seriously considering whether I'd go for this before Gourmand Coquin. I decide I'd rather have Gourmand Coquin. But hey - I did have to think about it.

esmerelda4
esmerelda4

I had high hopes for this fragrance based on all the buzz but didn't find it to be anything special. It opens with a bright, zesty fresh burst of lemon before a cloud of soft sandalwood tones it down and a woody scent emerges. Largely it smells like pencil shavings and pine needes to me, but eventually softens to blonde woods. Many of byredo's perfumes have a cold feel to them which makes them seem sophisticated but also distant and alienating. This was the one exception to that trend for me.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is a scent that you have to try on your own skin and *experience* while doing other things. If, like me, it continually swims around you in a delightful aura of faded smoke and forest greens with an iron tinged vanilla.. It is your thang.

I tried this ages ago and have to say it is memorable. I also can't imagine how anyone could compare this to Light Blue when they are worlds and worlds apart. Maybe it reads as a fresh cologne but one of another realm and inspiration in its entirety.

This makes me think of the character in my western .. Big boots but a soft heart beneath all the leather. It has heart as much as it has presence.

Emma0714
Emma0714

Aaah. Gypsy Water. Even thy name intrigues me. I splash this on and then suddenly I feel like I live on a boat, I can play the accordion with passion and smoke pipe-tobacco.

Well. Maybe not exactly. But that's my vibe of the day at least.

The only problem I have with this is that it smells like allspice.

drlaurel
drlaurel

Oh gypsy water, could you be more perfect? You could be stronger but that would not be true to your beauty. Those who complain of sillage and duration, must try it on clothes or different weather, on me, the parfum lasts and on clothes even longer. But the real point of my review is a side by side for GW and Tocca Collete, of which I have sprayed both on my arm just now. They are certainly sisters at first spray. Both open with lemon, GW staying more true to the woods while Collete delves into something a bit sweeter. Collette continues to go sweet and more powder floral while GW goes sandalwood and light spices, Amber starts to peak in. At fifteen minutes post spray having a hard time detecting much more of Collete than a vanillaish skin scent, projection is non existent and GW is wafting over covering up poor Collete. Well I bought Collette b/c she was close to GW and I love her on her own but side by side she can't hold up to my love for GW. Is she a good substitute, sure. I will wear her and enjoy the opening. Overal she is a sweeter less projecting and certainly less expensive and therefore, less complex, reminder of my all time favorite which I will covet. Now we are twenty minutes in, sandalwood has gone sawdusty with the amber making a debut here, lost some sweetness in GW, nose buried into Collette and she's all but gone. On clothes she does better but GW is holding strong, now reminiscent of some of the beauty of tam dao but more sophisticated and mysterious, less linear. It's chilling out but I will catch a whiff of it in the morning again after the nose has been to sleep. When I get whiffs of the two intermingling, I can't help but wish both arms had gypsy but it's fun watching sisters play together too.

K1
K1

Ineffable and oversimple perfume to conjure up extreme joy to celebrate spring! Gypsy Water, although is totally out of my predictions upon the title, is a great androgynous perfume that may not be rich in harmony or artistic perfumery, but is an instant joyous woody vanilla fresh fragrance with slight creamy orris root and incense and vanilla in the base of zesty citrus/juniper opening. The main theme of the perfume reminds me shaved pencil in a way! Great misty fragrance without going too much, without yielding over. Just a fresh extreme versatile, inoffensive multifunctional incense vanilla.
★★★

یه عطر بسیار ساده و خارج از توصیف که خوراک اینه که حس شادی کافی رو برای جشن گرفتن بهار در شما القا کنه. جیپسی واتر گرچه از حدسیات من کلا دور هست، عطری یونیسکس هست که ممکنه زیاد توی نیارش و هارمونی و هنر عطرسازی چیزی برای گفتن نداشته باشه اما سریعا همۀ حسهای خوب رو با تم چوبی و وانیلی نرم و رایحۀ خامه ای و چرب و پودری زنبق و بخور در بسترِ فضایی که با مرکبات خوشمزه و توت اُرس شروع میشه، در شما زنده میکنه. فضای کلی این عطر من رو کمی یاد مداد تازه تراشیده میندازه! یه غبار نرم و فراگیر دور شما رو احاطه میکنه بدون اینکه عربده بکشه و داد بزنه حضورش رو. یه عطر شدیدا همه کاره و همه پسند و بی آزار.
★★★

vsp2016
vsp2016

Gypsy Water is a beautiful, mystical light fragrance. To me it smells like a blend Molecule 01 (Escentric Molecules) with a pastel floral bouquet like Collette (Tocca). It's a light skin scent with a mild sillage.

I'd never sampled a Byredo until a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I'm not impressed with the three I've tried.
This is categorized in the 'mystic wood' section. A disappearing act the french might call 'Bois de santal secrète' perhaps?
I usually like these fragrances, I can site two (and frequently do) which I love... Atelier Cologne Santal Carmin and Xerjoff Ivory Route but even these seem loud in comparison to this very, very, subtle fragrance.
Gypsy water is a name with so much promise but sadly it doesn't deliver on it. The opening is a squeeze of lemon and pine needles then almost immediately 'shhhhushed' by vanilla and very uninspiring sandalwood. I say uninspiring because it seems to lean firmly towards creamy rather than spicy and with vanilla already lowdown, just serves to make this snug & cozy straight away.
The freshness and 'watery' nature which may have been deliberate due to the name is juxtaposed against the softest base and for me doesn't work. It's too weak and barely detectable on my skin in minutes.
Nothing to hate about the smell as such just nothing of it...not impressed.

rosenoir
rosenoir

I absolutely love this subtle scent. It is light but oh so beautiful. It starts off zesty and peppery and dries down a beautiful woody amber. The dry down is quite similar to Jo Malone's Amber & Patchouli Cologne intense. I enjoy both so much!

nebbe
nebbe

Love how this fragrance melts into my skin. I could spray it all day. Cuddly dry down that could wear beautifully through most weather.
As others have mentioned, it's a skin scent with a hefty price tag.

Moosubi
Moosubi

Powdery lemon. That is all I get. If this perfume were a color it would be a flat pastel yellow. Your mileage may vary, orris has never been my skin's friend.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

When I was a kid in the 80's, I had a Strawberry Shortcake Blow Kiss Baby Doll -- if you pushed the doll's tummy, it would blow you a scented kiss. My doll was Lemon Meringue, and her scented kiss smelled exactly like Byredo's Gypsy Water. I love it. I know it's a weird, random association, but I love this perfume, not only for the unexpected nostalgic flashback, but because the fragrance itself is so beautiful. The Strawberry Shortcake factory must have had an amazing perfumer to work with on their dolls! :-P

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Starts out fresh and lemony, not my thing at all but once it dries down this is like a slightly fresher lighter day version of Sensuous Noir - resinous pine and warm vanilla incense notes, creamy and woody I find it ultra feminine on me. Unfortunate lasting power I get 2 hours out of this and for $220 for a bottle I am not sure I can splash that much on something that will require frequent application. The oil which I expected to have more longevity is even worse than the EDP. Tempting for sure but it's a big investment for something that is in a huge bulky bottle and will require hourly re-spraying for full effect.

Germany
Germany

I am strangely drawn to this one. I don't own it but keep sampling it as I am intrigued by it for over a year now. The cologne is maybe even my favourite as it is a great summer spritz option ,,,But the perfume has this dusty warmth to it that makes it sexy rather than just a citrus vanilla spritz.
On a man ? Definitely !!!!! Omg I would want my man to smell like this , the only reason why I haven't bought this for him is because I want it for myself !
It's like sexy , salty male skin , sheets that have been slept in. Skin that was warmed by the sun , the name is fitting ! And I am surprised there is no musk listed. The sexiness must be the pine and sandalwood and the vanilla. It's a natural beauty !
I will get this soon , for myself !

Such a warm snuggle scent. Nice to wear in PJs just laughing. Nice also to wear to work , school , on a walk , anything really. Except for a fancy dinner reach for something else ! Lemony fresh and warm and snugly vanilla woods underneath. So cozy !

"It's suppose to be the glamorizations of a Roman lifestyle that is based on fascination of the myth, the scent of fresh soil, deep forests and campfires evoke the dream of free, colourful lifestyle close to nature. " as byredo quotes.
Or in other words ....
A gypsy life !
I find it very outdoorsy !!! Or cuddly !

I love JENVI s review and JUSTIN LG both spot on !!!

I asked my husband what he thought and he said he liked it. Reminds him of a vanilla cupcake with lots of lemony icing. Sweet and yummy.

Update . I just ordered it ! :)

GypsyGarden
GypsyGarden

I bought this perfume because I read it's similar to Kuumba Made Persian Garden oil, which has been my signature scent. I wanted a non oil for winter so that it would be a little stronger. First off, I don't think Gypsy Water smells like Persian Garden, but they work fabulously together on my skin, so I've now made this combo my signature scent. GW is creamy, soft, light, and a strong vanilla, but not a cheap vanilla at all. At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but kept smelling my wrist throughout the day and couldn't get enough. I read a review somewhere where someone described it as waking the morning after being with your lover and smelling his cologne on your body, mixed with your perfume. I couldn't agree more! To me, that's EXACTLY what it smells like and why I love smelling my own wrist when it's on. It's like smelling my husband and myself mixed together on my skin. I just love it. My only complaint is that it doesn't last very long on me.

JEDI 2.0
JEDI 2.0

This stuff is a TRIP. The name definitely fits the scent, I'd say.

It applies like lemon-water with some sort of barely-discernable smokiness. I applied as a splash, and when I cup my hands and whiff I get awesome pine needles and bergamot, but ONLY when I do that. Then, after about 1 hour, to me it smells like a watered-down version of Tom Ford Sahara Noir---just ever so slightly. It has a similar incense note that reminds me of it. Super-light for an EdP, I get maybe 2 noticeable hours, and for upward of 5 hours I'll catch the incense-smokiness when my temperature spikes, but still barely so.

My wife isn't a fan, but my lady-friends at work LOVED it when i walked past them. I'm on the fence personally, because it's like a clean smell with a dirty-smoky-incense background. It's like this scent can't make up its mind, so neither can I.

Try it, it's totally worth checking out. Reviews are all over the place, so find out where YOU fit in with this one. I can't justify the price for such lacking performance.

JustinLH
JustinLH

I am writing this review not only because this fragrance is intoxicatingly brilliant, but also due to the amount of misinformation concerning gender specific scents.

I am a man and I love this scent. When I say love, I'm serious. I have this scent in all of its forms, including bar soap, body wash, hair perfume and the fragrance itself. I love to keep numerous bars of soap on hand, because when taken out of the box, they can scent your house, room, or even closet. I prefer this to scented candles.

I'm reading far too many reviews stating that this fragrance is strictly for females, which is completely incorrect. Byredo specifically makes gender neutral fragrances that work on both sexes. It concerns me that in 2015, people are insulting complex fragrances, by over simplifying them into a certain sex. I know men that wear Chanel N5 and it smells divine and masculine on them. I also love women in traditionally masculine fragrances, so let's get away from this gender specific nonsense. Fragrance is personal, and without sex.

That being said, gypsy water is all together different on a man. I was a bit concerned about the vanilla, simply because I like very strong woody/musky scents, like Nassomatto Duro, or Tom Fords Oud Wood, but it's not a cheap vanilla at all. I consider this to be a more soft, cashmere like vanilla, which is easy and divine to smell. This, mixed with hints of incense and slight smoke make this genius. It's an addicting fragrance in its own right and I'm considering making this my signature. It does indeed smell masculine on men, but doesn't scream desperation and the need for female approval. Give this a try!

I hope this review helps, because I don't want men to be turned off from this gem. I think when we're talking about fragrance, it's best to think outside the box.

Happy Fragrance Hunting!

jenvi
jenvi

I don't know what it is with this scent but it's highly addictive. I think it might be the simplicity of it all (scent and packaging) that keeps me coming back to this more than any other fragrance in my wardrobe lately. I love how I can just throw this on, smell amazing and go on with my day! I don't have to consider my surroundings, weather, mood etc. because it's so freaking versatile. Yes yes yes longevity could be a lot better, but I am able to forgive this. I'll just reapply :) I also love how it transforms from citrusy-masculine to vanilla-comfort heaven. Gosh, I'm in love!

Alikatten
Alikatten

This just comes off as gin to me and I find it to be very unpleasant as I'm sober since 18 months lol. No but seriously I don't want to smell like I spilled a dry martini all over myself.

snel hest
snel hest

It smells like deep fried bananas that you can have for dessert down at the local Chinese restaurant.

I don't want to smell like that, especially not for that price!

lilmatchy
lilmatchy

I had a sample of this and really wanted to like it, because I'm trying to find a good woody fragrance for fall. This just smells like a campfire to me. All woody and incense, with just a little vanilla. I don't really pick up any other notes. It's nice and evokes a certain nostalgia, but I don't feel comfortable in it. The scent just doesn't settle right on me, and it's like there is something foreign on me rather than a scent that feels natural.

Eos
Eos

I have just retried Gypsy Water after years of having written it off as a D&G Light Blue/Tocca Colette clone. Wow, was my initial impression ever wrong. To me it wears more like a vanillic incense rather than an overt woody citrus scent.

On my skin GW is effortlessly elegant. There is a beautiful interplay between the dominant powdery accord created by vanilla-orris-musk and the smokey wood accord created by the incense-sandalwood-juniper-fir notes. The composition results in a rare type of feel: simultaneously cozy AND sheer. It's one of those scents that creates a nice billowy veil around the wearer but doesn't scream its presence. Interestingly, aside from the opening, I am getting almost no citrus whatsoever. On my skin the sustained fresh element smells much more like juniper.

I bought a bottle on the spot this morning and have received two compliments from other shoppers already--one man and one woman. I think GW is absolutely unisex and would be a great bottle for a man and woman to share. I get 8 hours of longevity with noticeable sillage for 6 hours.

ETA: While this is not a ground breaking scent, I'm also surprised at how little buzz it gets around here. At the very least this is a crowd pleaser.

Camilla91
Camilla91

I never thought this will happen, but it seems to me that I finally found my signature scent. Words can't describe how much I love this perfume. It is unique, all-year-round, long lasting and seductive. Highly recommend this one cause I am in love :)

mellybabydoll
mellybabydoll

Gypsy Water is not a favorite of mine. There's something about it that I want to reject, when I spritz it on I'm always fighting with it...it wears me. It's spicy and balsamic and aromatic in a way that's entirely jarring. I am used to wearing big, violent white florals, strong leather and suede, tobacco, incense and vanillas, but this one pins me to the floor and makes me tap out. I'll finish my tester atomizer, but I won't be purchasing a bottle.

shawbs
shawbs

The first time I smelled this I was not impressed. Now It's a love affair. I can tell that there are a lot of women here thinking that this unisex perfume is more of a ladies scent, I humbly beg to disagree. At least I think it's worth for men to check out.

Although I agree that it doesn't project that well I still believe that this is much more than a skin scent. Someone standing next to you, getting coffee for instance, will definitely pick this up and probably find it very pleasant and personal.

gabri
gabri

I'm glad I don't smell the citrus in this, I only smell the powdery , cozy, woodsy aromatics.It's defitely not a man's fragragrance, too powdery and soft for a man.

Fragaria
Fragaria

latinkatpetrova - a m a z i n g review of this. I'm heading to watch videos now. You've made me excited to go see! I'd love to try this scent!

lilalina
lilalina

Smoky, lemony sandalwood. Pine trees.. slight sweetness. This is a lovely winter fragrance, i do think it's more masculine..

hmarrachel
hmarrachel

I had heard alot about this fragrance before. I must say my first impression of it was not great at all. I could not understand the hype around it granted my first experience of it was on a tester strip. The first time all I smelt was a lemony, citrus woody scent that I felt was all too soft and placcid. It did not catch on with me but I must confess I was going through a time period where I was into heavier fragrances. However after actually spritzing Gypsy Water on me I think I caught on with its appeal. The first time I tested it on myself I forgot about it until awhile later when there I noticed a very calming, sophisticated scent wafting around me and I realized what it was. I think Gypsy Water has a place, it is one of those understated fragrances that I love to wear when I don
t want to smell like I'm obviously wearing perfume, when I want my scent to simply linger quietly in the background or when I can't decide what else I would like to wear. Some have compared this to Tocca's Colette and I agree that Colette shares the same overall vibe although it goes stronger on the lemon where Gypsy Water majors more on the herbaceous notes. But for being about 30% cheaper I would definitely go for Colette. To me Gypsy Water is not a fling, it is a solid favourite here to stay for a long time. I can't say the same for the oil perfume...the alcohol in the EDP allows the notes in the perfume to lift, neither am I as much in love with the cologne version...again this is more tart, comes in a massive bottle and perhaps does not last as long.

sidewalks
sidewalks

This is a quiet, pleasant scent. A great 'skin-scent', if that's your thing :)

deadidol
deadidol

A chemical vanilla rendered sheer through the use of green synthetics. There’s a fruity aspect to it, and there’s something coniferous, but the truth is this scent is so light and so generic-smelling that it’s difficult to get a good “read” on what it’s supposed to be. I’m all for a diaphanous skin-scent — the kind of auratic glow that’s perfect for days when you don’t feel like wearing much of anything — but this doesn’t cut it. It smells like someone combined a bunch of anonymous mall samples, diluted the result down to about 5%, then cut it with ethyl vanillin. It does “barely there” fairly well, but what’s “barely there” is redundant and it lasts way too long for something this tepid.

gooberskitty21
gooberskitty21

Dead ringer for Tocca Colette, except with more vanilla and much, much less lemon. Just how I'd preferred Colette to be. I'm really loving this right now....almost enough to splurge on a bottle tomorrow and smuggle it into the house before my husband gets home. Why does it have to be so bloody expensive!? *sigh*

MansLady
MansLady

Smells divine. Doesn't feel masculine on me yet it is not garishly feminine as many mainstream fragrances. I have never had a signature scent; choosing a favorite seems so limiting and arbitrary to me. This juice has climbed to the top of my must have/can't possibly live without list which has evolved over the years to consist of almost entirely niche delicacies. it is so special and so endearing. I spray this at the ends of my hair and in a short while I feel almost angelic. The easy, intoxicating scent wafts with every turn of my head. It is transformative, memorable and lasting. No need to layer on the doses, two sprays will suffice and dry down to utter perfection that remains noticeable for hours. This is not a notice me upon entry fragrance, no it's much too refined in the most unpretentious manner. It is more of an alluring and beguiling scent drawing those in with the capacity to appreciate the uncomplicated and intricate treasure that is Gypsy Water. It is sweet but not sugary, the spice is not obvious and the woods are not harsh. It is so well rounded. A thoughtful composition. It just works. Try it!!

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Overall: 7.25/10
Here's Why:
Like a watery (in a decently good way) very diluted (again not a bad thing) Light Blue Portofino.
Wonderful Scent.
Fleeting, however.
I wish it lasted, i wish it emitted a little bit more from my skin.
Can not justify buying this for myself, it was gifted.
Lovely, quite wearable, 'happy' fragrance.
If you can find it, save the cash and buy Light Blue Dreaming in Portofino and I think you'll be much happier.
If you have the cash, go for it, it's lovely.
But for those who work hard for their cash, it's better spent elsewhere.

sfdla
sfdla

Nice, soft, daytime fragrance that (on me) shares a lot of the same notes as Musc Ravageur--it wears like a watered-down version with a similar vanilla note. No one really comments on it one way or the other.

Just a little bohemian. The "watered-down" feel may be the lemon and juniper berries. It does have a little hint of sweet sweat, post-workout but it's not stinky gross.

I find it hard to believe this is considered a unisex fragrance. It's very girly on me. If I actually got the pine or sandlewood notes, maybe it would be more unisex or even masculine.

I like it, but I probably won't buy another bottle. Too bad! I really like the name. I think this spot will go to Baume du Doge when I finish the bottle (since it has similarly light sillage and masculine vanilla, but without the "sweet sweat" element).

dreamstate
dreamstate

One of my favourite unisex fragrances, I absolutely adore this scent on everyone. Gypsy water is a very appropriate name for this scent after wearing it and smelling the base notes, it is delicious and subtle.

enieee5
enieee5

Was very light and clean in the top notes and then became like Dior Addict on my hand. Nice, girly scent

sapphira07
sapphira07

wow to me the top notes were dirty and green like grass, then they evaporated off almost immediately and what was left was a very faint vanilla/amber/musk. I could not detect any other notes, and I found the initial spritzes overwhelming and disgusting. Thank god the dry down was better, and it is so faint or else I would be taking another shower lol. Got it as a sample from Neiman Marcus. I would rate this a 4/10 it lacks in projection aside from the initial spritz, and longevity on me. Not my taste.

jaejunkim
jaejunkim

It's surprisingly a quiet scent. Based on the name, I imagined something quite dirty or animalistic, but it's rather a clean and watery scent. I certainly enjoyed the top and mid notes.

tatonnement
tatonnement

I had high hopes for this one but there is nothing magical for me in this fragrance. It does translate to "vagabond gypsy" a bit but only because it smells like a dirty well travelled towel on me. There is a thick layering of cheap potpourri which turns chemical within minutes. Unlike others, I do not smell any lemon or bergamot in this perfume, only inexpensive powdery flowers encased in a vase of old vanilla passed on from caravan to caravan.

ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.
ThEnAuGhTyPrOf.

To ALL the ladies below: I've read & thoroughly enjoyed ALL your reviews....... You've given tremendous insight into the notes, blending and progression of this scent... Though, I must agree that a 4/10 rating by one reviewer was a bit harsh.... The Vanilla is aggressive - sometimes very aggressive in the transition, but by the time you reach the latter part of the heart to the drydown....., heavenly bliss pervades! As well, regarding all the comments I've heard on "longevity issues"?!?! Just spray directly on cotton clothing, your blouse, your cardigan, your jacket- works very well, also on linen as well and poly-blends. If you're applying to the body, please do try two sprays directly to the crown of your head.... I have a list of fragrances that I call my "My End Of The World Stash". Gypsy by Byredo would fall into this group along with 9 others (I will name in a future posting)! But for now, my TOP THREE Byredo offerings are:
1. Bal D'Afrique
2. Gypsy Water
3. Sunday Cologne (Formerly "Fantastic Man")

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

This is scent not to the enchantment of persons near. It is the scent for us... For person which loves travels, loves people from different places in the world , respects their culture. Parfume which wraps me up . Has something with Malabah..
Is warm, delicate , oriental, aerial .On me 8-9 hours.
I love it :)

freakypirate
freakypirate

This perfume smells lovely in the bottle (or sample, in my case), but does not work on my skin.

The opening starts wonderfully with all the citrus and fruitiness, but unfortunately after an hour all that lasts on my skin is a very bitter chemical smell. Such a shame, because i loved the opening! Alas, not for me.

andabri
andabri

When I wear it, it smells of a slightly smokey sandalwood. Then lemon and floral linger in the background. For such intense sounding notes, this is very light, also airy, in composition. I can't particularly say I like it, or even appreciate it. It rings a bit discordant to my nose. It has a weird sweetness that hits the nose, almost making it feel a bit... household cleaner-ish.

Eww.

A strident citrusy / vanilla combo on top joined by earthy / orris-y notes. It evolves into a piney / incensey thing with a super-cloying vanilla bone structure. A strong deja-vu vibe pervades the fragrance throughout while I can't help from thinking that if they just tamed that vanilla down, this could have probably been much nicer.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

My rating: 10/10
Quality: 8/10.

Yes, finally. This one does it!

The summary for my mini-novel below is that this Is AdG for me. Not the 'new' AdG, but the actual thing!

So I was paying a rare visit to Liberty, who happened to have a surprising range of Niche lines (not more than Luckyscent type stores still) and ended up going on an almost shamefully long run of scent-testing.

Doing a round of the pretty gloss display shelves, found myself testing all-sorts, from rare TomDaxon to Carthusia and Creed. After bottle upon bottle of shock/disappointments (apart from one of the Daxon's), I came round to the small circular Byredo stand by the Staff door.

Looking at all the lukewarm reviews off the Web, my general impression was that this was another overpriced and overrated House. And seemed par for course after testing their Pulp (downright pungent), Sunday cologne (sharp Citrus yet again) and others too long to mention, amongst them I came across our good friend here.

Really was expecting to move right onto the next bottle after the 1st spray. I did eventually- only after being blown away and left pleasantly shocked for literally almost a half hour in that little area!

How often do Niche scents come up with simply the downright odd and bizarre? They cannot even create their openings right, with green, sharp herbal citruses almost as essential as including the scent bottle itself.

After going through petroleum, pungent saffron, musk and just plain strange chemical affairs; Gypsy Water or GW (I'm finally there) opens with a positively beautiful *sweet lemon note. Note sweet - This makes all the difference in the World; as we all know sweetness (and how naturally its reproduced) at the start can completely change how the other notes can appear.

The key point is there are no nasty oddities here, no 'strange' surprises. No pungent green blasts, inexpiable 'hidden notes' of lime, coconut, animalics, saffron etc, whereas lemons are listed - just pure straight tart lemons and developing vanilla that keeps going.

It's a totally Win Win opening for once. But one does have to really enjoy vanilla!

The sweetness never fades, the boldness and richness pop from 1st spray. It's a limon-vanilla top-note seller.

GW is actually a very simple scent. Fine opening lemons gently transform into soft powdery vanilla and sandalwood right away, with the sweetness always lingering. Its joined by yet more sweetness, this time amber at the base. Then an amazing incense note that I feel could sell the bottle in itself - the way the Lemon top often hangs around and blends in with the Oriental note is not only cosy but downright sexy, not to mention a genuine rarity in this Market.

I happened to have just tested Amouages' Opus IV, which actually attempts the similar but imo the Byredo simply blows it away, for less than 2/3s of the cost too.

In fact out of over a 100 Niche scents I have tried these past few years (including all the big 'uns), this Byredo is utterly heads and shoulders above all of them for me. The Creeds, Slumberhouse, Amouage, Diptyque, Dior Haute line,,, you name it. That takes some doing. Stunning.

The scent also manages to remain refreshing with aquatic hints at the top which next to the other pungent excuses for smart bottles all around me, was simply almost joyous shout-worthy.

It's just a bit sad the scent is many a time too faint, and 'over-simple' - the brilliant incense note, while being just short of genius, sometimes barely appears, and sandalwood even for me is just a bit too common.

Being an EDP, the vanilla can become quite loud so maybe they could have watered that down a little, or added some ginger for balance. But it's still far more pleasing than the totally nauseating affairs of say, D&G TheOne, or more significantly in terms of budget, the awful Amouage Reflection!

Byredo has hit right upon what is an almost staggeringly rare sight in the awfully overrated Niche market; a safe, mass appeal-eqse scent! It's simply pulled off The oasis in a desert act - within the oasis (if that makes any sense!)

They've strayed away from the herbal, animalic, chemical-oud and bizarre-floral affairs that have always plagued the Niche market (imo) and still managed to produce a totally classy modern yet safe Niche product.

And full credit upon them doing so, this for me is what Niche should be all about - ADG never appeared to have happened,, I think!

A Masterpiece.

update: Strangely enough having a quik read around this and 1-2 other sites confirms that this one is definitely Byredo's best seller and one of the more popular lines among luxury brands.

zenbabylove
zenbabylove

I've heard Kuumba Mades Persian Garden oil is a $10.00 ringer for this!

NoireFox
NoireFox

In 1992, American cinema brought us The Scent of a Woman, but in 2008, Byredo literally brought us the scent of a man, and oh my is it spot on. The opening is a bit strange, but it then shortly dries down to pure man. I'm not talking bodily fluids here, but the divine smell of skin between the sheets; warm, salty, vaguely nutty and tinged with the distant echo of a faded cologne. I'm not sure this was necessarily the intention of Byredo, but for me, GW feels so realistic it actually makes me blush. Intimately masculine and incredibly comforting. A masterpiece.

miaou
miaou

This scent is very light and casual, fresh and aromatic at the same time. I received a small vial as a gift and my husband took it away : ) I think Gypsy water is a masculine perfume (though i love unisex), can't imagine a woman wearing this.

icekat
icekat

I love casual and down-to-earth scents which convey feeling of being outdoors, but many of them are so harsh and chemical. Gypsy Water is such a beautiful exception in this category. The scent is a natural, soft and creamy combination of woods and vanilla spiked with ever-green needles and juniper berries. It has a perfect balance of being casual but not boring, linear but not simple. Gypsy Water is my jeans and sweater companion to cuddle with on cold November nights. Lovely, easy to wear and natural, I could never go wrong wearing this scent.

The lemon and bergamot opening makes me think of a windy day outdoors – refreshing and natural. Yet, right away, the warm rays of sandalwood and vanilla shine through the scent making it soft and comforting. The iris adds just a touch of powder and pine-tree and juniper berries keep the composition winter fresh. The scent has a bit of a linear quality but it does not bother me at all, as the composition is absolutely lovely. It is a soft scent, which makes it a great every day casual scent. And though it is quite light, it does lasts for hours.

Gypsy Water is not the scent that will shock you with its super complex composition or fireworks of notes. But it is a scent that I will take with me on a winter skiing trip, a walk in the park or everyday at work. It was such a pleasure to wear that I finished my sample in no time and now craving for the full bottle. Overall score is 8.5/10

flamingo57
flamingo57

Luckily, a friend had a bottle so I was able to try it before I plunked down too much money for something pretty ho-hum. It smelled good on her, but she tends to mix scents. On me it was just not what I expected. Also, I like fragrances that I can apply sparingly. I expected something a little more exotic & unusual with a name like 'gypsy water' and a big price tag. Color me under-impressed. It doesn't smell bad...it's just not worth the money.

Jwaks
Jwaks

Lemon? Bergamot...Juniper berries..Pine! All my favorite notes are here! Open up those pearly white gates because I'm heading into scent heaven. Somehow, as I walk in I trip and stumble nose first into scent purgatory. Neither here, nor there or anywhere. Oh Byredo! What have you done to this potentially perfect fragrance? We got off to such a promising start...a mild lemon infused aquatic opening mingles with hints of juniper berries and woods suggesting a wonderful scent is about to unfold. And we take a wrong turn 15 minutes in when the promise fades to reveal an extremely timid base with impossibly light juniper berries, pine, dry sandalwood, hints of powdery orris root and the gentlest touch of incense and amber.

I had high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, it's not the scent I imagined when looking over the notes. It's undeniably unisex with a masculine slant. Projection and sillage are incredibly ligh, I can only guess this is the perfumer's intent. However, considering the cost and consumer preference, this cries out for more body, weight and complexity to rightfully command such a high price tag. On a good note, longevity is light to moderate. The scent faded to almost nothing after 3-4 hours. Overall, it's slightly disappointing. And when considering all the hype and steep cost, it's a shocking disappointment and absolute rip-off. Buy D&G Anthology L'amoureux 6 and you'll have a very similar scent, just better, for a fraction of Gypsy Water's totally unjustified cost.

Score 3/10

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

Love the smell of this fragrance. This is my second favourite Byredo, after bal d afrique. However absolutely agree about the lasting power of 10 min at most. May be the most sensitive noses can wear this fragrance... Even though I do prefer very soft fragrances that stay close to the skin, this one leaves some doubts, especially considering the price tag.
Do try it before you invest.

Update:
I felt obliged to update my comment. As i was not fair in it. Yes, this fragrance has actually swept me away, replacing my signature scent of many years (caleche eau delicate). I was comparing it to serge lutens , amouage, montale perfumes when I said the scent does not last. The lasting power is actually quite long on me, not as bright as at first, but keeps well 12h. The scent does not change much over time, what makes it enjoyable from the start from as long as it lasts.
Now, bal d afrique is the one that fades away quickly and does not rerun even as a hint. I bought both of the perfumes, love them both. But gypsy water is always winning over bal d afrique each time I reach for a perfume bottle.

Endlessly beautiful!

Cereza
Cereza

I can clearly feel why this appeals to most people so much. The fir and juniper combo at the opening is delightful, smoky and yet very clean. A perfect cologne. Lemon and incense appears just right after giving me this weirdly sweet and warm smell which reminds of how wood smells in a hot summer day.

Unfortunately there is a downside. I sprayed it on my wrist, went on with my business and 10 minutes later I had to reapply to feel it again. OK, it was still there, but very soft, barely noticeable.

Therefore - do try it, maybe it just doesn't last on my skin, but as for me - clearly not worth the price tag. What's the point if I'd have to spray all 100 ml in a week? :)

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

My favourite thing about this perfume is the name, which is adorable. Aside from that, I think Gypsy Water is a pretty concoction of lemon and floral notes with some pine lurking in the background. Almost minimal sillage but decent longevity. I agree that it lacks some depth, and comes across as a very simple fragrance. Gypsy Water doesn't set my world alight and I think there are more unique fragrances from Byredo.

amelie
amelie

Love it at first sniff... amazing how it transformed from a wild, almost animalyc fragrance into cuddly, gentle scent, without loosing its sharpness. In dry-down soft as velvet, still radiating some strength, feels with every movement of your hand and leaves indelible trail. Maybe could be steadier, that's why I love longlasting Estee Lauder's so much (though,not to compare,don't be confused...talking about longevity).
Incense, juniper, pepper, pine needles and orris root...it gives so much pleasure wearing it in such a cold day. Highly recommend if you're looking for a unique fragrance. Maybe it'll take your breath away at first, but it really is worth it.

AveParfum
AveParfum

It amazes me how people rip Light Blue to shreds, yet this one gets so much praise (I understand this is a good seller for Byredo). Don't believe the hype. This is just a glass of ice water with a lemon wedge in it. It has no projection to speak of, and longevity is poor at best. I have a manufacturer's sample, and I sprayed half of it on me, yet I hardly smell anything. No woods, no incense, no juniper. I would never in a million years pay +$200 for this. Byroedo honestly has amazing creations, so I don't know what's up with Gypsy Water. It is more boring than watching a plant grow.

I was reminded of two perfumes upon donning Byredo GYPSY WATER: Giorgio Armani ACQUA DI GIOIA and Fresh BROWN SUGAR. It's less sweet than both and certainly better made than the former, which can become quite sticky, if liberally applied. These three fragrances are united by their citrusy-sugary freshness, with GYPSY WATER seeming to be made of the best quality materials--as it should be, at a price at least twice if not three times that of the other two.

GYPSY WATER definitely smells nice, no argument there. It reminds me a lot of the entire house of Fresh line-up and could almost be one of those perfumes except for the more nichesque drydown, which features some subtle greenish and floral elements, along with the lightest touch of incense.

I like GYPSY WATER, but probably not enough to acquire a bottle, especially since the longevity is not very good on my skin. I think that for now I'll stick with my house of Fresh perfumes when I'm in the mood for a multigeneric light citrusy slightly sweet slightly woody vaguely floral scent.

On me this is a fairly masculine scent, all powdery sandalwood and leather. It reminds me very much of an old fashioned barber shop scent that my grand father used to wear. Not unisex to my mind, but reminiscent. Thoughin full dry down it has too much dry sandalwood for me, which is not a favorite scent.

duskangel101
duskangel101

I thought this would be more femine, but I was wrong. After citrus says a brief hello in the opening, it remains a very mild generic cologne scent. Not something I would wear.

SandraS
SandraS

I find it surprising that such a light scent has such a great longivity. I liked it but don't love it on me. I think it would smell great on a man, being so crisp and fresh!

alilass
alilass

I am revising this review. I think what I received, unfortunately, was a bad decant. I was determined to try Gypsy Water again because I absolutely couldn't bear to not love it as much as all of you! I ordered another decanted sample from a diffeent seller, and sprayed it on this morning. It is lovely. First it was peppery and lemony and soft, but it's dried down to a warm, musky, woodsy scent that quite literally is giving me goosebumps every time I smell my wrist! I think this scent is going to be lovely for the cold winter months, but I think for summer, I will stick to lighter scents like my signature Prada Infusion d'Iris or Tocca's Bianca.

*****
i ordered just a 1oz vial of gypsy water recently. i thought i was going to absolutely love it, but when i finally received it and tried it on, i was less than thrilled. i thought maybe it just needed to dry, but as it dried it got worse and worse. i know some women who love this scent, but on me it smelled like dirty lemon water. i can't even explain it. i'm really sad because i wanted to love it. but in the trash it went. my husband was gagging from the scent. boo.

talnyc
talnyc

I bought this scent when it came out a few years ago and the top notes are what made me buy it, but when it dried down, I felt it was ok. To me, it is more of a masculine scent. I gave it to my Mom to wear as I quickly fell out of favor with it.

I give her credit as again, I felt it was too masculine for me, but it was a little be better on her.

CathyCooper
CathyCooper

It has the character of old manuscripts and ancient lemon groves. Lovely.
Absolutely my new favorite.

Papi
Papi

Really nice frag

vertigo
vertigo

Gypsy Water is very similar to D&G Anthology L`Amoureaux 6.
The juniper, the spices, the citruses, the woods!
It's just a bit more soapy.
I prefer D&G.
Both are excellent unisex, cozy woody aromatics.

kerini
kerini

Gypsy Water has a beautiful lemon note in the top. Later incense, pine and juniper are most dominant on me with some amber and vanilla. It's smoky, comforting and a little playful.
Sadly it doesn't last unless sprayed liberally. Then it stays with me for about 5 hours. I don't really smell anything afterwards except for a few smoky whiffs several hours later. I'm not willing to pay the full price even though it's stunning.

ichigogirl
ichigogirl

This is my very favourite perfume at the moment. I've wanted to buy it for a year but still haven't. I think the reason may be that if I ever feel a bit down, I just go to the perfume shop and try it on, sniff it, and instantly feel better.
Another reason is that it's quite expensive, and I'm afraid it doesn't last long enough on the skin to justify the price tag.
But I love, love, love the soft mix of powder, incense and vanilla. Big love.
Gypsy Water is an unusual perfume, nothing like those from the big designer brands. Speaking of which, I think that the reason Byredo is my favourite perfume-brand at the moment is just that, their perfumes are quite different and often surprising. Not always nice on my skin, but never boring.

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

Gypsy Water is surely not what I was expecting by reading the notes before I received my sample. Initially the lemon and bergamot are very clear and in the forefront. But then the dry-down becomes a soft, powdery & possibly unisex scent, but more delicate than I would expect a male to prefer wearing. On me the sweet amber, vanilla and hint of lemon stand out the most.

I really adore the way Byredo has put together this scent. So pure and simple, it's really very easy to appreciate each and every note,lovely.

PR
PR

Well, first minute or two 'Gypsy Water' smells more promising then afterwards. I was surprised to see the notes, because I would expect different smell according to them. Actually, for me it's sweet watery floral scent with some lemony notes. It lacks the depth, and makes me think more of the water with washing powder and some cheep floral perfume. Strange impression and very 'watery' altogether