Designers » B » « Groups

Agarwood Collection Provocative

M/Mink Fragrance Reviews

Carles
Carles

M/Mink is to me the anthesis of Bal D'Afrique. Where Bal D'Afrique is a saint with fruits in her hands, this is the devil carrying a knife, ready to stab your back.

The combination of notes ends up smelling like rubber and burned wood. It's dark but not complex. I'm shocked no one has mentioned Marc Jacobs Bang, as they smell very much alike in my opinion.

ayseo
ayseo

I tried this because of the conflicting reviews and I have to say I hate it. To me it smells like a mix of shoe polish and really really strong old wooden furniture. It lasts and lasts forever on the skin, which is a shame because it's such a strong, off-putting smell. Unique but not for me! Couldn't wait to get home and scrub this off my wrist.

bronson
bronson

I wanted to like this after reading some of the comments it has received, but I have to agree that it smells like pee on a leather jacket. I certainly respect the byredo name and the attempt to create an original fragrance though.

something_wild
something_wild

What a fragrance!
I honestly do appreciate this fragrance as an art, however, I would never wear it (again), nor would I suggest any of my friends wear it.
It is elaborate and emotional. Animalic and savage.
Imagine being attacked by a dirty dog, in a handsome garden on a hot summer day with blood everywhere.

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

What an interesting fragrance. I really enjoy the scent of M/Mink, but preferably on a blotter or someone else. While I can just about wear it myself, it seems to sit better on the male of the species. This is probably the biggest incense frag I have been able to handle without wanting to scrub off. The notes, listed above are present but I needed a little more floral to come out, in order to be very comfortable with wearing M.

mmmmgood
mmmmgood

the quirkiest fragrance I own. But its turned into something of a go to scent, for me. I liked it from the beginning, but didnt think it'd be an everyday scent.

Ive called it many things, description-wise. But I finally have it pegged to one setting that defines it very clearly for me.

At Stinson Beach, Sausalito...just a hop skip, across the bridge from the city of San Francisco, there used to be these outside showers, we would use when we wanted to wash off the sand/dirt.

on the rare, HOT days, those wooden showers would literally, cook, from the heat, and the salt and leftover seaweed bits would just be lying around, drying up and cooking as well. And every now and then, the tourists from the nearby motels and beachside bed/breakfast, would come over from the pools on those properties, lathered in chlorine and sunscreen.

THAT would be what this scent smells like to me...all of those scents, combined. And somehow it works. When I was a kid, I LOVED the smell of salt water and seeweeed. If you dont have a progressive imagination, you will never break the code to this unusual but chic fragrance.

I love it....best way to work with it, is to apply about an hour before you leave your place, unless you absolutely love the top notes as much as I do. And by the way, there are those 'sniffers' among us, who will tell you "man, you smell like fresh salt water". When I heard that the first time, I knew, this perfume wasnt as hard to figure out, as I kept reading in posts, about it.

HEAVY, with very impressive longevity, along the lines of 10-12 hrs, with a scent trail on clothes that will hang around for weeks, if you dont wash clothes very often. When you put the shirt on again, there is no need to re-apply the scent. And you tend to smell like a beach bum, when you don that same shirt.

chove
chove

A few years ago I was gifted a python travel case with a nude leather lid that closed like an exclusive car door. Appropriately encased within was Mink, a choice that might label the giver as injudicious, alternatively as a person with a deep knowledge of the recipient. I was immediately smittened and in awe of the bewitching handling of patchouli in this perfume. The children were also fascinated:
– It smells exactly like an insect just peed in my hand,
– No, it smells exactly like the chalet outhouse in the winter, when everything is frozen.
(The term "outhouse" is to be understood by the fact that we do not have a WC up there).

They were both right of course, Mink is interminably evocative, which many inspired reviews on this page is evidence of (thank you @SeeMyBeauty for nailing the core purport of this unsteady creature). All sorts of associations are brought on by this fragrance that don't represent different aspects within the scent, but rather shiftings in the perception of the total sum of them. I think that feature is the mark of a flawless composition, and it makes this a creation of great precision. I associate it with various chores of dexterity: Lighting a propane torch, rasping away at the metal workshop, picking black currants, cleaning ones rifle, stencilling homework instructions on 70’s machinery, emptying a latrine (so much for dexterity) and, indeed (for once the marketing is somehow informative), rubbing an ink block against a dab of water in a ceramic container.

Byredo has made some decent perfumes and I think Green and Bullion are stunning! But in all honesty, the total impression of the company's oeuvre is that of a volatile uncertainty. Sometimes though, I tend to view those anemic and perplexed perfumes as little soldiers that are put on the counters to carry the commercial strain in order to allow Mink to remain among us.

lilalina
lilalina

Smells like Indian ink, I Love it! Very unique!

leovn
leovn

My oh my! It's quite funny reading the reviews on this one. Anyway here are my thoughts:

1. It stands out, yes, in a very unpleasant way. It sure will turn a lot of heads but probably people think you're having a very bad day.

2. Patchouli + incense + aldehydes + sea notes: opening a closed wood case fills with animal urine and sweat.

3. If you like it, I guess deep inside you like to play "dirty"

4. If you really like this, I suggest you try Musc Bruno Acampora, much much better in term of animalistic scent.

NicheMaster29
NicheMaster29

This is a mess. I'm not going on about the notes bc I don't care for this fragrance at all. Smells like someone's house who just gave up on life and pisses their pants on the couch. It's rancid smell highly suggests one samples prior to purchase. This house is great though, this is just their lost soul.

Wardroberose
Wardroberose

I bought this perfume without smelling it first even after reading the mixed reviews because I was sure I would like it. I have used a number of Byredo candles and love them all and I enjoy incense scents. But I have to say this perfume does not work for me. Like urine on concrete on a boiling hot day. It frankly made me nauseous and I retched every time I smelled myself. I thought it would develop into something unusual and beautiful, there is some potential there, but it never did, smelled like wee the whole day. Having said that it smells nice enough in the air and I spray it in my room and that's nice but it's an expensive room fragrance.

Q80
Q80

Really! is this really that bad?
i really wonder about the hype of disliking this fragrance here! i'm not a fan of Byredo but this one here is quite different! and to be honest i was completely afraid to try this because of that dislike hype!

In easy words, it's more like a medical vibes, something like a nylon manufacturing, or a devise you just opened from a brown paper carton covering a vacuumed nylon bag! i can't smell the honey, aqua, and i can't smell anything artificial. all i can smell is an amusing quality notes.

This fragrance is very interesting, neither stinky nor filthy & it is for the nylon, freshly made devices essence lovers :)

iritis
iritis

One of those love/hate scents.

smellagent
smellagent

I DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS HERE. IS IT DIFFERENT? YES! BUT THERE IS NOTHING OFF PUTTING .I THINK ITS LOVELY AND I WANT A BOTTLE.IT REMINDS ME STRONGLY OF MY CLASSROOM WHERE I TOOK OIL PAINTING. I GET A LITTLE LINSEED AND TURPENTINE IN A GOOD WAY. LOVE

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I get this. Its supposed to be daring and different and there is no doubt in my mind that is it. Is it wearable? That I can't say. I get the dirty kitty litter references and there is a strong dirty vibe to this. It starts off pretty shocking, ink with kitty litter and a hint of ammonia. Even the saleswoman who was unfamiliar with it made a face when she asked to smell it on me. Her reaction was natural and her expression was priceless. The dry down is softer and I get a dusty clay, dry dirt mixed in with sweet chalky baby aspirin. I appreciate it, but I wouldn't necessarily want to smell like it. For anyone adventurous, I say go for it. You won't forget it.

Ouch!
Ouch!

Absolutely outstanding. This is the ugly duckling in my collection that I view as a swan!
It's the "dare to be different" fragrance that isn't conventioanlly pretty or pleasant but..I'm a huge fan and this is very special.

The biggest tip I can give you is...WAIT!! If you spray this on your hand in a shop, don't sniff your hand immediately or...at all. Let this develop and come to you, then you may see the beauty I do.

It opens with a very powerful animalic note, very unpleasant most of the time, but that's not what it's about. It has an incensey animalic tone, and it feels dry in texture. It's slightly waxy, otherworldly and addictive.

The ambroxan in this scent does it's job wonderfully on me. It's meant to make things smell like fresh laundry and when this settles, these are the wafts I get. It's like clean laundry, infused with incense, a floral tone I cannot describe at all, and just a whole bunch of weirdness.

The other trick with this is not to overspray. it works it's magic if you don't over do it. Again..a little bit...and wait!

The drydown unfortunately for me is not so great (only because I hate honey in perfumes). This takes all the worst parts of honey (clover honey in this case) and it smells like an unpleasant honey that's slightly verging on urine. YEP! Sounds absolutely awful doesn't it? But thankfully by this stage it isn't radiating off of your skin like a beast.

Still...get to know this fragrance and appreciate it for what it is and it's MAGIC! I've had more compliments on this than people saying it's horrible!

lafindesiecle
lafindesiecle

Certainly, there's a lot going on here, and I know it's not without its devotees. Personally, I prefer not to smell like a cat's litterbox, but to each their own. Makes me wonder if I could bottle some sort of litterbox accord and peddle it on the internet for hundreds.

I'm not averse to weird, complex, animalic and dirty 'avant garde' scents. But at least Secretions Magnifiques is interesting. This just smells like piss.

Platone
Platone

ink for pen with some animalic, pardon human, note. the name is very indicative especially for a sicilian guy :)))

megrim
megrim

Well M/Mink is one of the best surprises I've had this year. I blind bought it, almost as a dare, to see if it was really as shocking and strange as the hype made it out to be.

I'd have to say, it is, and it isn't. Don't get me wrong - This is certainly not your average fragrance. It is however, still perfectly wearable, masterfully crafted and utterly enchanting.

M/Mink opens with an inky matte sweetness, animalic, metallic, incense, salted black manuka honey and shimmering cold aldehydes.

As others have noted, it's quite linear, not a lot changes. The first half is dominated by a slightly sour incense playing out over velvety, dry, dark honey and patchouli. Patchouli is a note I often struggle with, but here it is simply stunning. Black-green and tarry, thick and rich. As time wears on the incense softens and the dry, dark honey comes into play bringing with it a surprisingly dirty animalic note. This animalic honey is what keeps M/Mink grounded in reality, offsetting the otherwise industrial feel and tying the whole shebang together wonderfully.

Overall, the impression is one of cold, dark grey velvet. Classy, slightly gothic, a little aloof and austere. I don't know what all the fuss is about honestly, I've smelled fumes from Kerosene and even Slumberhouse that are far more 'challenging' than this.

Performance is excellent. Sillage is loud for the first two hours or so and settles nicely to the lower end of moderate for the rest of the wear. Longevity is outstanding. It hums away for an eternity as a bizarre skin scent.

Worth a try if for no other reason than to experience a heavily animalic frag that isn't based around musks. An eccentric genius of a perfume. Completely unisex. Enjoy on cloudy, brisk days, when dressed in black and feeling arty.

missyboron
missyboron

The first time I smelled this perfume, it was on a female co-worker of mine. My first impression was that it smelled classy and sophisticated, and also like nothing I've ever smelled on anyone else. That was one of the intrigues I had for buying this perfume; given the high price and the unfamiliar designer, I assumed that none of my peers would be wearing this scent. Also, it smelled wonderful.

I bought the 3.3oz bottle of M/Mink from Neiman Marcus for $220 plus tax (free shipping). When I first sprayed it on myself it was as most people have described it; strong, overpowering, spicy, etc.

HOWEVER, this is most definitely not the kind of perfume you need more than two sprays for. My guess is that if people are offended by the smell, they are using too much. It is certainly very potent upon first spraying it, but as it rubs off on my clothes, and my hair, and the scent grows softer, it smells AMAZING. The first time my sister smelled it on me, she had the same impression I did. She said it smelled high end, and classy. I would also say it is more feminine than masculine.

OVERALL, given how little of the perfume you actually need to use to achieve a desirable scent, I'd say, you really are getting what you pay for: a quality, excellent smelling perfume, that has GREAT longevity, and if you use as little as you need, you'll have the bottle for a long time as well.

steveniox
steveniox

i went into this perfume fully expecting some kind of monstrous ooze-being á la 'the blob' to erupt forth and assimilate me - however, what did greet me was... something that my nose couldn't quite make sense of, but intrigued me. pleased me! it was animalic, yes; slightly marine-salty, fresh and sharp, sort of waxy... beeswax! this smells like completely de-sweetened beeswax, almost candle-like, (i remembered in smelling this, as a child, i was taken to a candle-making factory and able to make my own - perhaps that's where i get the association!) a little of the unprocessed honey, (a black, viscous honey - indeed like ink!) and some lemon-y frankincense for good measure. i can indeed see the connection to ink in a weird way; it has a wet stickiness to it which is uncanny, possibly caused by the patchouli / honey that is giving this impression, though personally i find what connotations i have to ink to be sweeter / even more floral-ish. it's a world away from anything in comme des garcons 2, in my experiences, at any rate!

i find this entirely pleasant anyway. it is strange, and i can see why it divides opinion, but really? unless it dries down *very* quickly on my skin, or the initial impression is 'blink and you'll miss it', i get none of the connotations to 'dirty water' or 'cat urine' or anything vaguely human for that matter on my skin. later on into the drydown, the honey becomes slightly more sweet and the incense dies down, leaving a hint of freshness resting in salty beeswax with hints of the patchouli showing through, giving it an earthy edge. on my skin, it's almost... strangely edible at this stage, like some dense, sticky, mildly salted, honeyed concoction. i don't honestly know quite how to describe it, but i love it!

lasting power is excellent with two sprays, though it tends to flit in and out of presence quite a few times. trying it on in the morning i could clearly smell it, albeit softly, after 12 hours. it is a soft perfume though; as i said, after the first hour or two, it tends to come and go in bursts and quiet wafts, but nevertheless it was still there. my personal view of a beauty!

gottfried
gottfried

This is a case where the perfume is very true to it's name,

Someone made a comparison to printer toner, that's about as accurate a comparison as you can get.

Sharp, inky, metallic, but addicting

almost like sniffing cleaning chemicals from under the sink
(do NOT try this)

at one point it did remind me a little of the smell of my friend's ferret.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Probably my favorite post-Angel modern fragrance--a persistent smokey waxy dry incensey musk. As it is the work of M/M Paris, the packaging is magical. I have gotten more compliments on this than anything else I own, from "You smell like Christmas" to "You smell like a man." It's unlike anything else, a masterpiece. If there is a downside, it's that it's very linear and thus can get sort of boring after awhile, which leads me to wear it less than I'd like. It's spectacular in all weather and lingers elegantly on clothing. Just wonderful.

LoneCamel

Been using this alot the past few months and the only one who seems to like it is myself haha. I think it's super gorgeous, it is sort of crude and simple in it's construction in one way but i loooove it's boldness, it really puts me in a great mood and I'll keep using it, works great all seasons but definitely a daytime scent. Very unusual, bold, great longevity and silage, quite linear. I'd never wear it to anything formal where people come together because I don't want to offend. But its really a masterpiece! It's like a picasso painting, an uncompromising genius.

sfdla
sfdla

It smelled so amazing on my skin at the store.

Unfortunately, M/Mink did NOT translate in the real world. It was sharp and overpowering at work--one person actually recoiled in horror!

I wear alot of unisex fragrances and I prefer that neutrality. This one--although initially really exciting and cool--is much edgier than I am.

nitusmatter
nitusmatter

Instantly set apart from the pack - this is lone wolf howling after a casual kill. The chase was set not in darkness, but in bloodless menagerie tangled in pulsing white electrical wire. The adoxal seemingly subverting and extending simultaneously. The prey willingly offering a free taste. Amber and honey add subtle lusty afterthoughts.

If you are getting bored at the smelling outpost, I'd suggest indulging this bold concoction.

theperfumedveil
theperfumedveil

Never smelled something like this in perfume: paint thinner. As others have said, even the sales assistants don't want to show this. Like a bad joke from another planet. Smells like an industrial compound.

Byredo's M/Mink is often described as foul, metallic and unwearable. Even the sales assistant shied away when I went to spritz this fragrance onto my skin. She said that it was created to smell like ink and blood, but funnily enough all I smell is a rich blend of earthy, green patchouli, smoky incense and syrupy honey.

I do get the ink reference and I like the artistic vibe that this fragrance gives off. Unique scents are hard to come by in a world where generic fruity florals flood our market. I welcome such scents like M/Mink with open arms and hope that more scents like it are soon to come.

M/Mink smells like a cross between Le Labo's Patchouli 24 and Serge Lutens' Miel de Bois to my nose. All three of these fragrances are hard-hitting and unforgiving. Patchouli and honey in their most potent form can be a little shocking, and such a blend can smell 'inky' and damp. It's the high concentration of these notes that is turning so many people away from this fragrance. If you tell people that what they're smelling in M/Mink is blood, they'll start believing it.

I find M/Mink brave, dramatic and funky. It might not be the easiest scent to wear, but it is sure to make a loud statement. It has introduced a new fragrance note to me, adoxal, a synthetic compound that is supposed to smell a lot like lily of the valley. And while I don't smell anything remotely floral in this composition it has managed to open my eyes to new and modern perfumery.

LoneCamel

Not super impressed by other Byredo scents, this one blew me away, potent stuff, very animaistic and to my nose, also a powerful rhubarb, is anyone else getting that? I dont much like sour notes but this one is fantastic!

Edit: I just bought it today, 3x12 cl (0.4 oz) for 110 USD in Stockholm and love it love it love it love it! It's just a dream!!! I can wear quite heavy orientals so for me this will def be a quirky casual day scent, wouldn't use this for clubbing or dinners. No idea how others might react to it but you know what? I really don't care! :D La Tulipe is supposed to contain rhubarb and I tried that in the shop but that one's too girly to me and in M/Mink I definatelly pic kup lots of r-h-u-b-a-r-b (maybe that's the component some refer to as urine), resin, metal and incense...something god knows what animal, maybe that's the sea notes making it just slightly sweaty-- I'd call it SEXY. Powerful it may be, but still it's clean and very modern. I suppose this might smell like ink, certainly theres similarities with solid blocks of watercolours and it sure is black. Black and dry. Can't see this scent wearing well with girly, bright, flowery clothes. Glorious!

jtd
jtd

M/mink gives you two choices.  Read the story and believe the myth, or smell the perfume.   I'd recommend smelling perfume.  It's wonderful.

The story goes that, in lieu of a traditional brief, the perfumer was asked to translate a block of solid ink into a perfume. I’m cynical enough to believe that this sort of premise is intended more for its ex post facto story value than for any actual artistic impetus. The block of ink might have been a motivating factor in the conceptualization of mink, but it is a fallacy to believe that the perfume continues to be 'about' ink. For the wearer, the ink bit is just a back-story.  After the fact, such stories actually make a perfume appear contrived or a producer pretentious, and to get hooked into this sort of narrative even before you’ve smelled the perfume is limiting for the wearer.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Mink. I simply disagree with everything I've ever read about it starting with the PR from Byredo. I don't find it linear. I don't think it's an assault on the senses. I don't find it anything like Sécrétions Magnifiques. It does share a cool, object-like quality with Comme des Garçon 2 Woman. While it does have a matte sweetness to it that suggests an inky quality, this is just one of its many abstract attributes. Like Bvlgari Black by Annick Menardo, M/mink is a successful creation of a new, beautiful scent that neither imitates a botanical scent, nor attempts to to offer you a recognizeable fragrance.

from scenthurdle.com

Allinug
Allinug

What on earth is this, so discusting. Like someone hadn't take a shower for a long time, smelling so dirty and nasty.

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

Just smelled this at Barneys NYC yesterday so the experience is still fresh in my mind.. The first whiff literally made me wince my nose and face up in agony, and ask what the hell was that??!! It smelled disturbing almost unnatural like a female Werewolfs vagina in heat. Or maybe a sweaty horse after running at a big race..Animalic is an understatement whew!! But like a train wreck or a beheading on live TV, I couldn't turn away.. I kept going back to this seemingly primitive scent.. Guess what? It became lighter, a little more bearable, and dare I say more intriguing with each passing half hour..I don't think I would ever purchase this, but I did ask for a sample for the shock value.. There is something tempting and alluring about this smell like forbidden taboo desires ..I both recommend and forewarn, but experience for yourself.. You too will either howl at the moon in torment or bliss..

silviaci
silviaci

First, this is definitely a masculine fragrance, although I don't really adhere to fragrance distinctions: but this is strong, deep, earthy and powerful.
On paper, it smells fantastic: an incredibly potent and vibrant grass note, the deepest patchouli note that I ever encountered,a bitter incense, the intense salty oceanic note that makes it so original.
On my skin, unfortunately, this fragrance turns a bit too much melon-y (although the melon note isn't listed), the honey note stealing the scene in a not so good way, the floral notes getting in the way without a proper role.
A good fragrance from a house that I really like, a must try especially for men.

pravda48
pravda48

I've been wearing this 2 days in a row (all day) to really get to know it, so I guess I'm on my 5th or 6th wearing of M/Mink as I type.

I can see how it's jarring to some people. The 1st time I tried it (sample) I was reminded of a ferret's fur, musty with a semi sweet touch, like after you feed a ferret its vitamin oil supplement. I must've been getting the honey there but sadly, I've never gotten it since that 1st try.

Nowadays I'd put the note pyramid like so:

***very intensive: sea notes, aldehydes
**intensive: patchouli
*noticeable: incense

and that's all I get. In 3 words M/Mink is cold, musty, and salty on my skin, though there's an oddly cooling/fresh aldehydic quality that makes it seem a contradiction to this musty saltiness. My boyfriend described it as 'almost ammoniac' upon initial application and he's not wrong.

Pleasant? I suppose that's in the nose of the beholder. I found myself craving the smell, haunted by it after the first 2 samplings. Since acquiring other salty scents this one doesn't seem so unique, but it's worth sampling if you want something briny and different. I do wish that mysterious honey would come back... I think I'll hold my 12ml until warmer weather and see if that brings out the magic of ferret fur again (I love that smell).

[Edited 11/10/14]

Jwaks
Jwaks

Like the aftermath of a train wreck, still smoking from the metal on metal carnage, you want so dearly to look away in disgust but your sick sense of curiosity compels you to keep looking. Staring, actually. This is the effect of M/Mink. At first you're repulsed. The second and third sniff totally screw with your mind and make you think, is it really that bad? Subsequent sniffs make you wonder, what the hell is that? I can't stop myself from going back for more because there's something beautiful hidden beneath such an ugly exterior. If MMink was a person, it would be a repulsive dirty old man with a kind old soul and bright personality. Like him, don't run from this one either. Honeyed smoke and earthy patch smothering floral aldehydes, strong marine notes and gentle florals. So odd, so unique, so captivating. This could very easily be a signature scent. Not for the faint of heart or crowd pleasers. Try it.

rihis22
rihis22

Love it.
It's a hate it or love it one.
Upon the first sniff, there was something that reminded me of ink and steel. Maybe a little rubber.
Industrial was the word that came to my mind when trying it.
But this is a fragrance for a person who knows what he likes and is proud of that. It's definitely not a crowd pleaser. And little boys look away this is not for you, this is for a man, a confident man. Maybe a little sinister man. A bad boy. A rebel.

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Smells like you are in a wooden cabin on a hot summers day, and you've peed yourself.

swoon
swoon

I don't know why there're so many people hate this one, I love it and my friends also love it. It's bitter, animalic and bold as a slap in the face! it's exactly what Chinese ink smells like. The most unique and artistic perfume in the world! Gorgeous packaging.

robg303
robg303

I must say, that I really get a kick out of the reviews for this fragrance!

I'm sure it's revolting to many people, especially the initial opening, though I'm not sure why the first wiff is being compared to cat urine?
I've had several cats and have spent time around big cats and this doesn't smell like that to me at all.

Instead it smells exactly like squid/octopus ink to me, but sharp and dirty.
Maybe like spoiled ink from a calligrapher's ink well too?

That said, that's probably what BYREDO intended, resulting in a very unique and controversial, musky scent. If you hate the opening, then it's best to leave this fragrance alone.

But if M/Mink both disturbs and intrigues you, like it did me, then in an hour or so, you'll be treated to a strange and wonderful sexual, musky, lightly-sweet/skin-like scent.

Probably very different than other musk/incense fragrances in your collection, but you should sample this first.

I would say this is best saved for sensual encounters and not for regular wear.

This one is somewhere at the very bottom of my bottom 10 list. As already mentioned there is some pee in the opening, but that is fine compared to the horrendous and toxic metallic note that attacks you next. If (IF) you endure the first phase, what awaits you is no better; a sour chemical smell that is almost acidic. It is kind of like the perfume version of the film Terminator: have head blown off by a bunch of fierce metal skeletons, and just before they pull the triggers you wet your pants in sheer horror. Then eons of post-apocalyptic wasteland, all covered in nuclear mists and acid rain. A nightmare... that lasts and lasts.

I can honestly say that I never(!) want to smell this again - ever!!!

It is very brave to launch something like this, that I have to give Byredo. I really like many of the other scents in their catalogue, Baudelaire and Bal d'afrique to mention a few. With all this said, let's hope that more perfumers out there dare to make things that are not simply pleasing. Even if I hate M/MINK it's a good thing it exists and it constitutes a significant contribution to the world of niche perfumes and olfactory artwork. There is no one to like 'em all, that's for sure. Go Byredo!

tomtom44
tomtom44

I love this and wear it most days. Very unique and original but remember - this fragrance is all about the dry down!!

Yes, the opening does smell of urine. Everybody is correct about that. It's a rancid smell that someone on here compared to the bear pit at the zoo. Good comparison! (However this is actually the ink note that this fragrance is based on and raw ink does smell urine like, so it is intentional and I think very well done) So try to think INK not PISS!

So be patient and get past that initial urine shock and see the amazing transformation. For me this is one of the best dry downs out there. After non-sweet honey, I get a warm peppery and very masculine fragrance that is modern, subtle and clean. It's not over powering at all so it will only be noticeable to those in close proximity to you. It's certainly not a fragrance that fills to the whole room.

I put mine of 30 mins before I leave the house and am officially urine free when I step out the door : )

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

what the fuck is this? very strong smell of paint and cat urine, as this evolves smell will soften even so, does not mean it gets better.

shawny
shawny

I boil this down to a mathematical equation:
M/Mink = 1/ink = "the inverse" of ink = the yin to the yang of the mind's conception of ink. This perfume is a culmination of many notes--none of which are ink, but which together transform into ink--giving the illusion of ink. On the one hand, you have pitch/dark ink, the metaphor that is M/Mink. On the other hand, you have a clear liquid--which is not ink--until it goes through your nasal cavity and flips your brain upside/down. The title is beautiful.

fuggerone
fuggerone

this one smells like a Tom Waits song, primal and passionate, twisted, a forgotten rusty junkyard in a ghost town along route 66, rusty metal, mould ink, the smell of distant rotten memories, you might like it but lots of people will say you smell strange, I love this scent for what it is..a bum trip!

LaDomna
LaDomna

I haven't skin tested this one, but when I sniffed it on paper today I must say that it instantly brought a not very clean urinal to mind... It smells like old urine, but sweet and slightly spicy. Strangely, I like it! It is one of those weird and interesting scents... I don't know if I want to smell like a urinal but I definitely have to try this one on skin and see what it does!

meama
meama

78) Mink-blowing
This is one of the few perfumes that you absolutely have to know what you'll smell before you try. Forget the notes because what counts is the overall effect, you will dive your nose into an inkwell. For those who have experienced pens and the small ink cartridges can remember how the taste was because we all have ink in mouth one day or another.
It's this first blast that I love.
The fragrance evolves towards musk. Finally It is mainly what smell Mink, a powerful musk who go softening to a light musk.
This aldehyde structure on animalized background has always reminded me of a 1920-30' classic now convulse with foaming at the mouth. A kind of art performence where the artist finished naked rubbing on a 19th century canvas after drinking few bottles of Guerlain.
I like

deadidol
deadidol

Sexy, bestial printer toner.

I love it!

Gileshowe
Gileshowe

Once, I put this on before I went to sleep and it woke me up twice in the middle of the night to demand 'what's that incredible smell?'. I loved the disturbing opening, but as it waxes and wanes, there is something very comforting too, in that way its like a child's battered comfort blanket or a well loved, chewed up dogs toy - a totally gross object of profound love and attachment. // If I had to choose one word to describe it I would say 'devestating' : the word itself itself ambiguously positive/negative, dramatic, powerful.

SeeMeBeauty
SeeMeBeauty

I own a full bottle of this. I wear it sometimes. It can serve as a complete companion, if, for example, you don't want to go see that Michael Haneke film by yourself. Or read House of Leaves all by your lonesome. I thought I loved this, but it was a trick. I catch a glimpse of this out of the corner of my eye, worried it is a strange man in my apartment only to realize it is me. And I have done this to myself. And I will, again and agian. Unsettling, and I only have myself to blame.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

M/Mink is an animalic metallic aldehyde monster, and I can't pick out many other notes. It's the kind of fragrance this leaves a taste at the back of your throat, almost inducing a headache along the way. Unusual, yes, but not something I could live with. I'm very surprised that this is a unisex fragrance as I think it's far more suited to men. It's far too very masculine for me.

petar.ciganovic
petar.ciganovic

I realy want to buy this scent, to wear it and to enjoy in its complexity and overdose of aldehydes (adoxal). But I can't for the sake of the people around me. Literally.
This perfume is meant to be enjoyed by other niche perfume lovers (like most of you said, it truly is niche in the niche) and by yourself.

To everybody else this is very revolting scent. Only the beggining indeed, but this scent is pretty linear and I personally have to wait a lot to get to the beautiful sweet and gentle drydown that lasts forever.

For me, this is pure art in perfumery and that blast of animalistic and strong ink notes (even protein like in Blood Concept +MA) in the beginning is the point of this fragrance.

Like I said - I love it but I don't see purpouse in buying it if I can't wear it. :(

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

This perfume is modern, "niche in the niche", there is nothing similar to this. I realize it has lots of negative comments and most people do not like it - and I am not surprised; this perfume is "difficult" and demanding. In my mind and perception of this frag, it is strong ink in the beginning, then white flowers in ink (mostly lillies), later still ink with some incense. Really weird but also catching other people's attention - both negative and positive comments. It is a freak frag for brave men.

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

OH! well - NOT even close to Absolute Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - besides being a hard fragrance to appreciate ( i am a big fan of the absolute poir le sour) - but i must confess - MINK is just a pure stinker! theres a inky-incensy accord that i like but am overwhelmed by the odour of dead flesh which is just off-putting - i find this to be very nauseating but for its daring endeavor ill give it 10/10, though only 2/10 for the scent itself, What a Yuck Factor!

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

Good lord, the opening does kind of smell like the bear pit at the zoo. The honey is so gorgeous and natural, it sings with life and at the same time-- it reminds me of the time when a swarm of honey bees invaded my house. If you have ever gotten very close to a hive built in enclosed wood, you know the smell-- honey, but resinously sweet. Bee poop, basically, and it is nearly impossible to get off of floors and walls-- but it smells something like this opening. I'm not going to scrub just to see where this goes, because I'm horrified and delighted at the same time.
Even as I type this, the fecal quality is fading, just as others on this page have suggested. I do see the pine disinfectant quality also mentioned, but god help me I like it.

Smelled a celebrity frag this morning that supposedly had 'honey drops'; I could make lots of snarky comments, but it's a fascinating reminder at the difference you can get from quality ingredients that are handled by a perfumer who knows what the hell he is doing.

AlanB
AlanB

The weirdest fragrance that I have ever experienced! It has the nastiest opening and one of the most stunning drydowns and it lasts forever. All in all, I like it :-)

prot72
prot72

Mink is beautiful and tasty as old school ink for fountain pens ;-) I remember when during classes in the primary school we were using the Chinese blue ink called Hero that have same dirty, incense like smel. But in the Mink the honey is also applied to make fragrance very unusual. From the start to the end it is really different than any perfume I had before so it was must have for my collection. First of all this creations was made for incense lovers. But forget olibanum, Hindu incense or something you can categorize as church or temple smell. This is extremely dry already burned resins or herbs that are a litle sweetened by wild honey. In my opinion perfume don't evolve to much, so the same aura stay around you unchanged for many hours. However this is extraordinary fragrance that can be categorized as niche in the niche group - same as incense by Sonoma Scent Studio. If I would to compare to something I know from the past the closest is the Diptyque L'eau Trois but supported by teaspun of sweet honey. So I love it... Mink will have special place in my collection, hopefully it will never be discontinued as L'eau Trois was unfortunately.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

I don't find the opening of this to be revolting at all. Perhaps different noses have radically different takes on adoxal. To my nose, the opening is smooth and sweet, a dark and inky floral. Adoxal allegedly smells of lily of the valley in dilution, and I can sense a lily type sweetness and smoothness in the opening that joins forces with the immediately noticeable honey note (a dark and unsweetened honey as mentioned by others) and the equally dark patchouli note.

The patchouli deserves special mention in this fragrance because it is very dark and has that typical patchouli earthiness and dryness to it while simultaneously not being so thick and full bodied as natural patchouli oil. The body that is cut out of the patchouli note is filled with the notes of incense and honey, and a pine-like note that I believe comes from the frankincense/labdanum duo(I know it's not listed, but I sense a strong natural labdanum note here).

As one who works on my own blends with only natural oils, I don't find M/Mink to be 'disgusting', 'dreadful' or even all that dirty. It's just very natural in a way that few scents are - it leaves intact some of the rough edges of these natural notes. Thus, it's more challenging than many scents around, but I think that some of the other reviewers allegations (eg: worst scent ever) are to be taken with a grain of salt. At least, don't let those sway you from so much as trying the scent.

The scent isn't strictly linear but conversely there are no radical shifts in its development. As the sweet, dark and inky opening fades the heart presents more of the incense and labdanum combo. The incense and labdanum are smoldering - warm with hints of smoke. At all times the fragrance has a dark and billowy veil of patchouli and ink enveloping it. The honey/beeswax flits in and out of perception. It too is always there, but at times it is shrouded by the incense, at other times it and the incense unite into a truly beautiful and downright sultry, sexy accord.

My only qualm is the pine-like aspect persists a bit longer, or at least a bit more prevalently than I would prefer. I'm assuming this was done to keep the texture from becoming too smooth or gentle, but it occasionally crosses over from being a textural counterpoint into being marginally grating. A minor qualm though and one I can live with.

I should note that my girlfriend immediately took to the scent. She loved it on me from my first sampling, and she got a chance to smell it just moments after application - so not everybody finds the opening appalling!

There's really no other scent I can compare this too but for a rough idea of what it smells like, imagine a cross between Kouros (the honey/incense elements) and Rive Gauche PH (the thickness and dark patchouli/anise element). I wouldn't necessarily say that M/Mink is barbershop-y, but it has that same kind of thickness to it, and one of my first thoughts on my first sampling was the distant relation to Rive Gauche PH.

al.to
al.to

BEEWAX
at the limit of unwearable
but i like it
It begin with bee wax and incense in a aggressive way.
after a while the smell rounds off itself till to become very nice
not church incense.
byredo is accustomed to create hard-sharp-bold scent

spoombung
spoombung

Ugh.

Pine disinfectant mixed with bitter, metallic bilge water and noxious drain cleaner. There's no fur, hide or musk anywhere in here (it would be a blessing). Come to think of it, anything 'Fecal' would also be a relief.

Without question this is the most obnoxious, offensive smell I've come across in 20 years of fragrance sampling... and I'm a lover of unusual, daring experiments and bizarre combinations. I've also go to say that this smells like a concentrated, grotesque version of the bitter, metallic, Byredo house note amplified a million times into a monster.

A perfumery disaster IMO, completely unwearable, antisocial, expensive and horrible in the extreme!

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

wow... not for the faint of heart.

Opening strongly animal (zoo-animal) and, dare I say it, fecal. If you can lock yourself away from other people for the first 30 minutes, it does dry down into something more 'normal' in fragrance terms, actually quite ok, musky and resinous, a bit of charcoal ink, although always with the lingering memory of horse stables. But that opening.. not nauseating exactly, but close. They call it adoxal; god knows what it is.

Would recommend using a small amount, if you must. It *is* wearable, but I won't be wearing it much myself, mainly out of consideration for others. Actually, now I recall it, there was a Welsh sheep farmer I once knew who smelled like this all the time; I kept wishing he would have a shower. He would be amused to think that self-styled sophisticates in places like Stockholm and Berlin were now striving to emulate him.

This is a weird one! I usually love weird scents, but with this one I can't really decide. It opens with a blast of "I don't know what the hell is that but it makes me wanna puke" (rancid adoxal?) mixed with "bodily fluids?"and "animalistic secretions?"...who knows??? I guess is the completely desweetened honey note that smells more like beeswax. Very dense, sticky, almost animalic (in a bad way). Absolutely disgusting and seriously disturbing to my nose. The weirdest part is that the drydown is simply amazing with a warm and meditative inky-frankincense note. It never happened to me that I really hated a perfume opening and totally loved the drydown. My solution could be that I spray it on my clothes and then I wait one hour before to wear them so I can avoid the initial brutal blast! BTW incredible lasting power!

Rating: 8.5/10 (for its uniqueness)
4/10 (for my personal taste)

NOTE: This is a fragrance to experience. Love or hate type of stuff but whether you'll like it or not it deserves its status as one of the most daring compositions so far.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

Have you ever been too a circus arena with the big predator cats running around in the middle circle with its wood shavings which are drenched with cat-urine and sweat? That is precisely what I get from the opening of that frag...who wants to smell like that ? But it s a brave creation indeed. HOW do they do it?? unbelievable and only for the brave at heart !! That one is surely unique, quite different from the Ajmal Al Shams special edition but they re sure in the same liga.. so try and sample it if you dare:grrroooaaarrr!!

Mimmi
Mimmi

The drydown is on me absolutely stunning - all the notes here listed in a very sensual and unique blend. Honey and incense very intriguingly done. But whats with the initial blast? I get something like dirty water and animalistic notes overkill at once, actually I find it revolting. Lack of scrubbing possibilities was the only thing that kept me from scrubbing this one away the first time I tried it. The wonderful drydown made me retry it since. The initial blast will keep me from getting it.
Bravo for the bravery, I appreciate the challenge that tickles my brain and senses in an unpredictable way. Very good stayingpower.
Curious about others experiences and reviews!

M/Mink by Byredo 3.39 out of 5 based on 223 ratings and 63 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Byredo M/Mink fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Byredo M/Mink, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify M/Mink by Byredo. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of M/Mink by Byredo represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.