Designers » C » Aromatic « Groups

Burning Leaves CB I Hate Perfume for women and men

Burning Leaves CB I Hate Perfume for women and men
dislike

"Not everyone has your passion for dead leaves.” wrote Jane Austen in the famous novel Sense & Sensibility .Burning Leaves is a pure and simple scent of smoke of burning maple leaves.

It is available as 2 and 15 ml perfume absolute, 100 ml water perfume and 150 ml home spray. Burning Leaves was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Brosius.

Maple

Bonfire
Fireside Intense
A City On Fire

Burning Leaves Fragrance Reviews

miss mills
miss mills

Where's the fire? I like this but I was expecting a more intense fragrance. This is a very watered down sort of Encens Flamboyant to my nose. As a big Type O Negative fan, I wanted to try this and was hoping to be blown away. Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice burning leaves' scent, but it is very gentle and mild, the remnants of a forest fire the morning after, not the intense scent of burning leaves on a cold night in a forest that I was hoping for.

I'm going to have to try the Sonoma as their 'fumes are pure essential oils and I suspect it would be a truer rendition of the vivd image I have in my head of crisp yellow and orange autumnal leaves burning on a chilly night.

tetsu
tetsu

Burnt iron pot with a plastic handle.
I hate it.

Ferminadaza
Ferminadaza

I tried a sample of this perfume and well...let's keep it real:

This entire line was created by the co-founder of Demeter.

Demeter is basically a line of functional fragrant oils purchased from the wholesale corporations that make them, then shaken up with some perfumers alcohol and re-packaged with a cutesy concept.

Hasn't anyone come to the realization that I Hate Perfume is nothing more than Demeter re-packaged for more money?

This smells like Demeter's Bonfire.

Most importantly, there are wholesale companies open to the consumer who sell these same types of scents--functional fragrances--- things that are formulated to resemble a seaside bonfire, a trek through the woods, a creamsicle, a roast beef dinner and which are usually intended to be added to candles or bath & body products as fragrance. They are used by both artisans on Etsy as well as commercial sellers. Some people throw them in a roll on and use them as perfume as well.

These are basically those same fragrant oils with a heck of a markup.

The same oils that are also sold along many an urban street with much less fanfare.

How do I know all of this? I use to sell these types of things.

I'm just saying...go buy Demeter's Bonfire and save yourself some coins. Even better hit up the guy with the oil stand on the corner, he'll even throw in the matching incense.

landshark321
landshark321

CB I Hate Perfume Burning Leaves is only perhaps the third of the line that I've tested on skin and it does not disappoint in terms of scent but has the characteristic performance issues of the line.

I don't get much sweetness (so no maple itself) but some green notes, some resin/amber, some smoke, and some spicy pepper. There's not much evolution to it.

It is a semi-dark, smoky, spicy mix that strikes me mostly as a slightly weaker version of A City on Fire by Imaginary Authors, and this a compliment, given how much I like the IA scent a lot. However, it puts the cost perspective, and while it's certainly nice that Burning Leaves (at $100 for 100ml) is cheaper than, say, 7 Billion Hearts (at $265 for 100ml) perhaps simply due to the fact that the latter is newer, I might still stick with the much stronger A City on Fire at twice the price but twice the potency (ACOF is now $95 for 50ml).

7 out of 10

zcsmith78
zcsmith78

Name of the fragrance sums up what you are going to get quite nicely - the smell of burning leaves. Imagine walking through a path in Autumn, dead leaves on the ground with more falling through the air, while someone is getting a BBQ ready nearby. That's what I get throughout the life of the fragrance. I wish it lasted longer, but this is one of about three fragrances that is truly, "Fall in a bottle" for me. Tough to wear everyday or in a work setting, but for those cool Fall days, this is wonderful.

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

I’d been eager to get my hands on this fragrance for some time, and recently managed to obtain a partial bottle. This is a rather vivid approximation of the smell of burning maple leaves mixing with cool, dry air. But if “Burning Leaves” gets top marks for authenticity and uniqueness, it ultimately disappoints due to its poor performance and limited range.

As a native of the upper Midwest, I’ve always been enchanted by the smell of bonfires and other rites of autumn. Maples and oaks were plentiful in the areas around my childhood home, and fall was always punctuated by the aroma of family and neighbors burning leaves that would otherwise coat the yards, sidewalks, and streets. That smoky, slightly sweet scent of twigs and leaves smoldering in backyards and fire pits was unmistakable – and Chris Brosius has done an admirable job of recreating it. The overall effect is so novel that it’s difficult to discern the components at work. You get the smell of liquid smoke and an earthiness that recalls damp forest undergrowth. There is a very slight sweetness to the fragrance - a clever nod to the sap/syrup that is also associated with northern Maple trees.

But when to wear this fragrance? It probably goes without saying that this is a fall scent, but likely makes little sense throughout the other seasons. Moreover, this is most appropriate for weekends and holidays. You might catch a few sideways glances if you wear this one to the office….

More likely – no one will notice. Sadly, “Burning Leaves” has very limited projection and poor longevity. I’m referring to the water perfume and not the absolute. I’ve now tried several of the CB water perfumes, and all seem to have underwhelming performance. As much as I admire Chris Brosius and several of the avant-garde perfumes he has created, the fragrances just don’t have any tenacity. If I could get more than 2-3 hours out of this one, I’d purchase a full bottle. Still, I’m glad to have about 30 ml of "Burning Leaves" – it really does conjure the nostalgia of an October bonfire with family and friends.

RockkRaccoon
RockkRaccoon

Ohh wow, it definitely has a strong note of burning leaves, but I found it dissipates fairly quickly and you're left with a sticky sweetness that to me feels a little smothering. It blows my mind how he's able to capture the scent of burning leaves so well, but it's just far to sweet for my taste! All I can sense in this is burning leaves (for a short period of time, like a top note) followed by nothing but a dominating super saccharin sticky sweetness. It feels more like a novelty thing to me than an every day thing, but I'm frankly amazed how he gets that smell in there. Wouldn't wear it due to excessive sweetness.

orangehaze99

This is the first time I've really wanted to be able to just try a scent, and I can't find a single decant on any of the websites I've looked! If I'm wrong, please correct me. Usually somewhere, someone is willing to sell one. So, I thought maybe I'd post up here. I've never had the chance to experience this and would love to....I'd pay for a small decant, or would even appreciate a swap for a spritz on a cloth sent in a sealed plastic bag. Thanks...

saurivaa
saurivaa

I've tested it, it's pure magic, just a portal into the golden autumn. Mabon's time ;) And i feel this perfume to remind real burning leaves. The only disadvantage is an oily texture of aromatic liquid, so you should be careful with you clothes while spraying this perfume.

shipit2
shipit2

This one blew my mind. Not in a good way nor in a bad. It was so intense it just took my mind an hour or so to calm down and get used to it.

Although it's rich and complex, there is something quite oldish and feminine in this one.
Not for me.

babayaga
babayaga

People don't seem to burn piles of leaves in the fall like they used to. It's always been one of my favorite smells, a strong scent memory from childhood. The fire/burning leaves smell always touched something in me that deeply craved the wild and primal. I think this perfume is perceived as a novelty by some, but I have found it very wearable. I ordered a sample of this and Byredo's Gypsy Water, and I've been wearing one on each arm. I have to say, I think they work well together, as GW is very light, and though I really like it, I feel it needs a touch of something dirty or a bit harsh. BL, at first whiff, was a bit of a shock, really bluntly smelling of, well, burning leaves. As you wear it, it becomes sweeter, and I detect clove, but absolutely no meat. I repeat: this is not a weenie roast. It's warm, close, comforting, slightly spicy-slightly sweet with a touch of smolder, and it's something I will totally wear as a real (not novelty) scent, not surprisingly, in the fall.

sarahmareiv
sarahmareiv

As a California native, I don't think I've ever actually smelled burnt leaves, but I love this scent none the less. It's sweet and a little complex. I don't get any fake smoke or sausage smell from it. It is very simple, though, so I like to layer it with a dark musk to make it last longer.

antfarm
antfarm

This fragrance was supposed to smell like leaves burning, but it missed the mark. I tried this in both the absolute and water perfume concentration. The water perfume smells a little bit more like burning leaves than the absolute, but overall it smells a bit like maple syrup and liquid smoke, and it has no staying power. The absolute has weak sillage as well, and smells like honeyed ham or hot dogs on the grill. Not burning leaves.

aouragan
aouragan

Sweet smoky smell. This does smell like burning leaves to me, and I love this smell, but it triggered a strong allergic reaction within two minutes -- can't breath right -- had to get it out of the house.

Katmar
Katmar

The meat smell is caused by the Maple notes. For those who are going for the Type O negative smell, what he was really referring to was Patchouli. Two great Patchouli based perfumes are Jo Malones Amber and Patchouli or their Pomegranate Noir fragrance. This will give you a nice patchouli based smell, without being too overwhelming. Of course if you want the real Black No 1 effect, just get some pure Patchouli oil from a local head shop.

sleazenrapture
sleazenrapture

This perfume was a bit of a disappointment for me! I've been obsessed with finding a scent as described by Peter Steele in the Type O Negative song 'Black No. 1' ("Her perfume smells like burning leaves, every day is halloween" - you get the picture ;]). I imagined a beautiful smoky, deep, forest-like, autumnal smell perhaps with a hint of clove or moss. What you get with this is, don't get me wrong, an absolutely amazing scent, but not one to wear on your wrist or neck. It does smell exactly like a campfire with a very strong waft of sausages! Which is definitely a very nostalgic and realistic smell, just not what I thought this scent would be like. Perhaps it smells different to other people - but I definitely got a big meaty note!

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

If I hadn't smelled (and fallen in love with) CB's Fire From Heaven before I tried out Burning Leaves, I think I'd have been more impressed with it. Which isn't to say I was not impressed, because I was. This is burning maple leaves - for sure - with all the wonder and fury of a fall bonfire. Much respect for this stuff! That said, I think with Fire From Heaven CB was able to take this concept to another level, with far more complexity and richness in it. I consider Burning Leaves to be a truly impressive representation of a specific time/emotion/activity. I consider Fire From Heaven to be an exceptional perfume. YMMV, of course!

UPDATE: Mix equal parts of Burning Leaves and Wild Hunt on your bod. FANTASTIC!

Beauhammer
Beauhammer

It really does smell like Honey Baked Ham. A nice scent, just not one id like to wear. Ha, I feel like ive heard that alot when it comes to CB I hate perfume.

Edit: I solidified the oil in some paraffin and vitamin E oil. Toned down this really is a beautiful scent and I find myself reapplying it throughout the day.

RkrChk
RkrChk

A few months back, this was gifted to me [via a sample vial] by the lovely pitbull friend...This is another fragrance that is an acquired taste...All I get is deep, dark smokiness...Firewood...Then, a bit of a vinegar-y note wafts in, and it smells like a bonfire complete with burning weenies on a stick! Oh, well...But, hey...I love a toasty weenie on a stick!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

A little alarming at first--fire alarming! Intense smoke and ashes is what I get on opening of the Absolute.

But then somehow the ashes seem to fall into a harmonious step and begin to dance as the smoke spirals... and spirals... and spirals. Hypnotic, narcotic with an earthy, sweet undertone--rich cured maplewood. I feel like I'm laying prone on a luxurious, heavy, hand carved wood floor in a gothic, incensed church, inhaling deeply the dark, woody sweetness.

As Burning Leaves continues to develop, I detect a little clove or something subtley spicy with a tobacco undertone and am reminded of burning Gudang Guram (an Indonesian clove cigarette).

Comforting and sensual, although I'm not sure where and when would be an appropriate place and time to wear Burning Leaves. Perhaps one to indulge in when alone, at home when it's raining outside.

fpih
fpih

I have to say it's not what I expected. It does smell like a campfire and a sweet one at that. But somehow, I was under the impression that it would smell more smoky -in a tobacco or incense way- and a little more spicy. It's very flat on me. It's not bad, but it's a little bit weird to wear. All in all, I liked In the Library much better.

Lasting power for the water is not that bad; around 4 hours. But I realized that the spray is not the one found usually in perfume bottles: this is the kind met in body mists and this is obviously meant to be used as such. No spraying behind the ear with this one, since your whole hair/face will get wet. I think I'll go for the absolute next time.

Update: After wearing it a couple of weeks, I'm liking this more and more. It is in essence a body mist; I just didn't expect that at first and was surprised. But now I'm used to it and really, really like it. I love how my skin smells for hours after this, I like the warm, snuggly feeling I get of it, I love how long it lasts on my skin -with no sillage but still that special someone can smell it- and how wearable this is even in the heat. There are not many sweet perfumes I can wear during the hot Greek summer but this one fits like a charm!

Update 2: My husband told me I smelled like a chain smoker yesterday after I put it on and asked me never to wear it in his presence again:( He claims it smells exactly like cigarette smoke; not the effect I was looking for obviously.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This one is not for me! I tried a sample of the water perfume and smelled like a barbecue until I scrubbed the perfume off. Not quite the effect I was going for.

I too, grew up in "The Woods"...and this scent is the smell of fall; warm, comforting and very natural smelling.

This is the first CB I Hate Perfume scent I have tried, and if they are all this well done, I am going to have to start collecting them all!

Having only two notes (smoke, maple leaves), this scent is pretty much what the name promises. It is smoky; but nowhere near as smoky as "cumming" by Alan Cumming. There is a sweet mapley spiciness here, just like the fallen leaves of the sugar maple itself, along with a very comforting "fireside" feeling. Subtle woody notes give the "dry leaf" and "smoky" accords some depth. BL is not "stinky" smoky but more like the scent of an actual campfire (warmth, burning wood, and some smoke). This does really remind me of camping out in the forest, in the warmer early days of Autumn, more than anything else. Therefore, it is truly a comfort scent for me. The perfumed oil is divine! (Thanks, Pitbull Friend!) It's thick and full but not overly powerful. It lasts a good long time, as well. I applied some last night before bed...and this morning it was still on my skin (faintly) 8 hours later; so I am wearing it again today! Great for something to warm up a cool rainy spring day...without heavy spices or too much sweetness.

Sillage: closer
Longevity: very good
Overall: 3.75/5

Coming from a House called I Hate Perfume; I was skeptical to say the very least, but the Nose who started this company is truly amazing...and I am intruiged to try more of them very, very soon. This is definitely a linear scent, but one that is quite different and truly amazing in how it catches exactly what it says it is: Burning Leaves! Kudos...

saprophilous
saprophilous

having grown up in the woods.. this is a very reminiscent and nostalgic scent for me. It definitely smells of bonfires, like walking on the trails on a damp fall morning... and the scent that is left on your hands after playing all day climbing trees and digging through piles of leaves. Love it. On my skin it feels romantic as if I am a candle flame, carefully burning papers in a dark room.

fool.proof
fool.proof

love this layered with cb's under the arbor as daily scent. will sometimes add in the library too for evening.

vertigo
vertigo

Water perfume:
To me it smells smoky.
A bit reminiscent of a scent of a smoked sausage.
Even if they paid me, I wouldn't wear it.
Blah! ;)

Cereza
Cereza

Ok. This does not smell like burning leaves. It smells more like a leather jacket after a night with loads of booze, smoking and standing in front of the fire, cooking meat, potatoes and so on. This is the scent that reminds me of summer morning, I wake up in a tent with some random people, I have terrible headache, all my clothes smell like campfire and tobacoe. This is the smell of hangover and shame.

P.S. I'm not saying I don't like it, so we are clear.