Designers » C » Leather « Groups

In The Library CB I Hate Perfume for women and men
dislike

leather
smoky

In The Library is a scent of old books; Russian & Moroccan leather bindings, worn cloth and a hint of wood polish.

It is available as 2 and 15 ml perfume absolute, 100 ml water perfume and 150 ml home spray. In The Library was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Brosius.

Leather Woodsy Notes

Paperback

In The Library Fragrance Reviews

Spaztic
Spaztic

I was super excited to try this one, out of the whole line I thought this one wold be a shoe-in winner.
I can't smell it.
Not at all.
I've never had this happen before and go figure I'm anosmic to a perfume I was really excited about!! And I don't see another review on here that complains about not being able to smell it...maybe the tester was off.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

I really wanted this perfume to smell like a library, because I love the smell of books and more books, with possibly some periodicals on the side. But it doesn't.

It's a very pretty perfume. The juice itself is interesting, a sort of opalescent, ever so slightly foamy, milky white. I don't remember seeing that before.

It opens with a lovely honeycomb, beeswax candle smell, and develops a bit of coconut. And there it stays. I get no paper, no leather, a little vanilla in the drydown. It smells delicious, but not at all like a bibliophile's dream.

Redpula
Redpula

Yes flip the pages of an old book in the face and sniff, this is what it smells.
It also reminded me of a dry leaf I use to smell when I was a boy.
For curious sake, this is kinda nostalgic. But not something I will wear as my cologne.

Cologniac
Cologniac

just got a sample...it's not bad..i do get the books and library theme but it did not last long at all. perhaps i will give it another chance but really i like powerful scents and this is not one of them.

MarillaV
MarillaV

Too much dirt and earth and not enough dust and must. This stuff opens promisingly enough with whiffs of old wood, but soon enough it devolves into strong dirtiness, not the respectable dust one finds in libraries, but outdoor dirt. Once the dirt fades, there is some smell of paper, but not old musty paper from books, but construction paper from grade school. Then the janitorial squad rushes in with their chemicals and the whole thing just falls apart. A disappointment. I wanted old library in England and got my first grade classroom complete with mud pies!

pravda48
pravda48

I also wanted to like this, being a bookworm and loving the calm environment (and ones I create in my head) of an antique room filled with yellowed pages of knowledge. But, sadly... I found ‘scotch tape’ was a great description of this one. Maybe cardboard boxes, wax? Dust. Lots of dust. Floor polish! I understand it was to embody the book bindings but this was more a dusty gymnasium minus the sweat. Kinda made me nauseated. So sad to have to scrub but it turned my stomach.

P.S. If anyone knows of a perfume that actually smells like old books' pages, I'm interested.

Anvil_of_the_Sun
Anvil_of_the_Sun

The concept is wonderful: I would love a perfume that evoked old paper, ink, leather and wood. Sadly, this perfume does not live up to the concept, not remotely. It opens with creamed coconut and the musty sweet black truffle note that will be familiar to anyone who has experienced the openings of Dirt and Earthworm from Demeter. In drydown it settles to a marginally more pleasant biro ink and chocolate marzipan. I have nothing against these notes in and of themselves, but this is a complete failure as an attempt to evoke a library. CB needs to wean himself from his addiction to heavy-handed use of synthetic 'earth' notes and remember what it is to balance a set of notes to evoke mood, time and place. (Notes: (1) I wanted to like this frag, but it is simply inept. (2) My reaction against this frag was so extreme that I doubted my judgements about the notes and development. I checked with others who'd tried it, and they confirmed the broad outlines.)

RedDeLishus
RedDeLishus

It says unisex, as almost all of CB's are. And if you take away the notion that for the gal's there must be flowers, and for boys there shant be flowers or strong flowers rather. They truly are. I love this one particularly. It is gorgeous. Sometimes I will pair it with a flowery scent when going out, but it is quite lovely on a woman on its own.

kankri
kankri

Definitely has the same "paper" note as Demeter's Paperback, which isn't surprising I suppose. But this is better.

I don't think I'd be reminded of a library if it wasn't named as such, but now that I think about it it's quite fitting. Quiet and bookish and comfortable. It does smell a bit like dusty old books, but it's also quite sweet and very different. Coconut and vanilla with a bunch of dustiness. A bit reminiscent of glue. It actually loses sweetness as it warms on me, revealing a low sweet body of leather. I think I get the woods, but only on the very edge, just a sort of afterimage.

Unisex, but leaning to the masculine side. Not for a manly man but a bookish boy. I like.

hannskang
hannskang

My favorite perfume to date and a staple for the fall: this perfume smells like dusty old pages of library books and I love carrying that smell with me throughout the day. The 15 mL bottle goes on subtly and fades fast, within a few hours or so. It tends to dry as a vanilla, musky scent on my skin, although I've noticed more leather on the smell of my friends--most definitely depends on body type. My bottle was mixed for me in person at the Brooklyn store as well, and it smells different from the sample size--dustier, somehow. Still, definitely a favorite scent.

Maman
Maman

I enjoyed trying this fragrance- It's very witty, very odd. There's definitely a library somewhere. I can smell the polish of the wood, leather bindings and slightly musty papers. I can also smell the old gentleman in the corner who uses a lot of vanilla pipe tobacco....and a coconut.
Splendid to experience- but I wouldn't wear it.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This is a real delight and is almost impossible describe. I think this one of those fragrances that will really vary according to your individual body chemistry. On me, the initial scent was hard to place, a hint of sweet leather and warm woody tones, but evaporated down to the most wonderful caramel musk that lasted all day. A little of the absolute goes a very long way.

fool.proof
fool.proof

this smells most strongly of liquor to me. worn in the evening sometimes with cb's burning leaves and under the arbor.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

Yes....I agree there is a hint of Crayola
and something that smells like Construction paper...recalling Elementary School days
Old Wood???
hmmmmm..not sure about that...
the Wood note is Faint ...
if it's there.....at all.

I do like it ...!!!!

The smell is sooo odd .. and peculiar....
the scent lingers then fades into more of a Coconut,Vanilla scent after a short time.
Not to sweet keeping its Masculine Esprit intact.

Wood and Books and Leather Bindings
are the furthest thing from my
imagination...
Close your eyes and give it a try.

midsummer
midsummer

This is a perfume with a sense of humor!

When I saw the name "In the Library" I expected something sultry and forbidden - say, Keira Knightley in Atonement. But it's just not that kind of library! The scent smells amazingly like my elementary school library: crayons, paste and old wood. I felt like I was walking those halls at age 11, past lockers and polished desks, to where my friends were waiting for me. I can't say that it's something I'd ever buy, but wearing it once brought me a lot of joy.

In The Library by CB I Hate Perfume 3.77 out of 5 based on 65 ratings and 15 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about CB I Hate Perfume In The Library fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about CB I Hate Perfume In The Library, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify In The Library by CB I Hate Perfume. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of In The Library by CB I Hate Perfume represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.