Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

LouLou Cacharel for women
dislike

I have it: 1310 I had it: 1481 I want it: 573 My signature: 29

LouLou Cacharel for women Videos
LouLou Cacharel for women Pictures LouLou Cacharel for women Pictures LouLou Cacharel for women Pictures LouLou Cacharel for women Pictures LouLou Cacharel for women Pictures LouLou Cacharel for women Pictures LouLou Cacharel for women Pictures

One of the top selling perfumes of the 1980-es, one of those bold, powerful, distinguishing, and timeless fragrances. Loulou is a controversial perfume that people either like, or dislike, the one that provoke different emotions, and indifference for sure is not one of them. Loulou is a fragrance dangerous like Pandora's Box. Loulou is like intoxicating dark red flower which allures you to the depth of dangerous and dark forest. Yet, it is not possible to resist. It is irresistible and once you are engrossed by its warm scent, you simply have to let go and follow it, you have to pick the forbidden fruit.

The perfume is built around the beautiful and sensual scent of Tiare flower, the Tahitian symbol of welcoming and generous offer. The top notes are composed of violet, plum black currant, marigold and anis; the heart of sweet Tiare flower is accentuated with the notes of tuberose, ylang-ylang and orange blossom; all that is followed by powdery trace of orris and Tonka bean, and sensual mix of vanilla and balsam.

This sensual, wild and mysterious perfume is captured in an opaque blue and red flacon of a simple octagonal straight-lines shape that narrows towards the top. Earlier version of the bottle was designed like Alladin’s lamp with blue octagonal base and red spiky top. It comes in a cardboard outer box, painted in red flowers and colorful vegetation, against very dark forest decor.

Read more about LouLou Cacharel in Loulou – The Fragrance of Pandora's Box LouLou was launched in 1987. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Guichard.

Mimosa iris Lily Plum Chinese Cinnamon Wood Violet Cassia Jasmine Anise

Tuberose Orange Blossom Orris Root Heliotrope Ylang-Ylang

Sandalwood Musk Benzoin Vanilla Incense

JoJo

LouLou Fragrance Reviews

Karmaluna
Karmaluna

This is my Nans perfume and has always been my guilty pleasure as not many like it... (I used to spray this every time I went home reminds me of her still) it will lasts for years as you only need one spray to do the job...

beccalee79
beccalee79

Lou Lou was the first 'expensive' perfume I ever owned. I was 12 years old. My Mums best friend was travelling to Europe and she asked mum and I if we wanted to come with her to the duty free shop and pick something out. I went straight to the perfume section and was immediately drawn to the most beautiful blue bottle I had ever seen. I asked the sales lady if I could smell the perfume and fell in love with Lou Lou straight away. My mum took more convincing however.. she told me it was 'too grown up for me' and in hindsight she was probably right. It took much begging and pleading along with a thumbs up from the sales lady who said she thought the perfume 'suited me perfectly' before mum finally agreed. I took my bottle of Lou Lou with me everywhere and thought I was so grown up and fabulous. I still repurchase whenever I run out. A masterpiece of a fragrance xx

Ditta70
Ditta70

Hello, LouLou my old friend...
I used to wear this perfume when it was born, and bought a new bottle just today. Usually I am not happy with reformulations, but this one is done rather well. To my nose, the fragrance itself hasn't changed much, it just got slightly weaker, which is not a bad thing in the case of an 80's monster. This is a very lovable monster, though, and applied in the correct amount (i.e. homeopathic dose), it is wonderful. To my nose the prominent notes are the insence, tuberose and plum. I don't get the "plastic smell" that some reviewers describe. To me it's a cosy, warm, yummy comfort scent for late autumn/winter.

Mark Antony
Mark Antony

A very attractive perfume. It is interesting that despite the fact it is an old one, many wοmen 20-25 old use to wear it systematically and they preclude other newer options. I must admit i never expect that it is a frag of 1987 because it fits well in women of these ages.For winter it is excellent but for summer in my opinion there are better options (fortunately the girls of my company didn't misunderstood my advice).But unfortunately, i am among the few who are big funs of 8o's and 90's men's frags in my company.

Shwets
Shwets

I totally agree with soonflower (see half way below).

Got to say i prefer the reformulated version. I gave my vintage away as it was headache inducing and too cloying. The updated one is lighter and bearable. Cant wait to buy a bottle from Boots as drooling over it since i sprayed it randomly for nostalgic sake and was surprised!

Its all about skin chemistry and whilst my skin doesnt work with No 5 and eternity, the spicy ones are magic on me.

Update: I bought it a few hours after writing the review and am very happy. Remember try this on your skin to see if it works for you. On me it's soft incense with that barbe doll note that I love. A very sexy scent.

Also i love the bottle. It's great for the handbag, solid and compact.
I wish many other perfume bottles were practically designed for travelling purpose. Plus this perfume is not commonly used so less likely to be popular.
Sooooo happy with this purchase!

SayakaP
SayakaP

THE scent of flappers.
Uninhibited & Retro.
It's not a "natural beauty". It's an adornment and decadence.

I don't wear this one often, but there are nights only Lou Lou would do.

amelieblue
amelieblue

Lou Lou is definitely a love it or hate it fragrance!
I used to have a neighbour when i was a kid that loved Lou Lou and was always wearing it and everytime she showed up on the corridors of my building, the smell would come meters ahead of her... i'm joking obviously, but that was veeeery strong and she always hugged me and made me feel intoxicated.
Many years later, i decided to try it at a store and gave my wrist a good squirt before using a paper strip and it was very strong. I left the store and walked home smelling it all the time.
A few moments later i noticed thar it dried down into a smell of dolls. New dolls, when opening the box...exact same smell.
Even tough it might bring childhood memories, i would not stand wearing this perfume. Too strong and too intoxicating.
Silage is perfect and lasting power too.
Very rich composition.

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

Loulou is glamorous and elegant with a strong presence and bawdy swagger. Mae West in fragrance form. The scent comes on a little strong right after spraying on my skin, but after about 2 minutes of dry down, Loulou softens out beautifully. Bold notes abound in this fragrance: benzoin, incense, plum, mimosa, and tuberose are specifically dominant. For as many syrupy, juicy notes as there are in the composition, it ends up also being slightly powdery and dry on my skin.

Surprisingly, LouLou does not have the insane beastmode sillage that I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it projects well, but it's actually somewhat subdued compared to most 80s powerhouse fragrances. It is obviously not a brand new creation, but it doesn't smell dated or out of style at all. Loulou could be released today and would probably only need a few minor compositional changes to appeal to today's market. Loulou is a little too exuberant for daytime but it would be a lovely scent for nightlife and special occasions.

Loulou is an exquisite fragrance. Every woman should try it at least once.

Vehrkalia
Vehrkalia

A very great smelling experience! A piece of history for sure.
A little hard to find but really worth the pain. :-)
I love this fragrance, it's strong and sensual, feminine but good as for wome as for girl.
It remembers me, by a point of view, Shalimar in a lighter, simplier, younger version. It has the same complexity even if we're talking about two different class of perfumes, of course.
I'd say that if Shalimar is an exclusive piece of art, then Loulou is the everybody version. It's like Gustave Moreau versus Andy Wharol. :-)

Sillage and logevity are great.

Sylvie-Aus
Sylvie-Aus

It's way too strong for me & gives me a headache, always had. Not a bad scent on others.

lirael00
lirael00

If Lou Lou was ever a put off for you, please try it again and this time you have to wait for the scent to really develop and then you'll start to really appreciate this perfume. Loulou is like Eden from Cacharel, so many people are afraid of it just because it opens really strong. Immediately it fills the room, there's no way of escaping it. But do yourself a favour and wait half an hour or more and you'll start to smell something creamy powdery and totaly unforgettable. Use it sparingly as it's a really strong perfume. I'm a sucker for perfumes that you fall in with, love step by step and each time you discover something new that you like about it. It's a wild one, but you have to learn how to tame it and then you'll start to enjoy in everything that it has to offer.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Sweet Heavy Oriental, with amazing sillage and longevity. I love walking past someone when they wear this, gorgeous fragrance.

katmitchell
katmitchell

This is marzipan in a bottle! I was quite surprised that I had this sense of fresh marzipan sweets, but that's what it is. It was a bit sharp from the first spray, but quickly settled down to really sexy sweet skin scent. Buying it tomorrow!

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

Oh how I wish I had kept my bottle of this I had about 8 years ago. My perfume likes and tastes have changed & I just would love to revisit it. I am wondering if I had a cheap counterfeit now, looking back, that I received off of an auction sight. I did like the bottle, but I don't know what it was supposed to look like if it was a genuine vs. a fake.
I just couldn't appreciate this scent when I had it. It smelled rancid, sour, and not unlike a cooking oil that has turned.
I got none of the amazing notes everyone raves about & would love to get a sample if anyone would be willing to send a decant? Thank you!
Cheers <3

Velvet_Touch

I must confess that I wasn't really impressed by the bottle at a first sight, but I was convinced I would love it after reading so many positive reviews. And I was right. Also, the movie had a great influence in purchasing this. This was my first fragrance I purchased from Strawberrynet.

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

I have to really be in the mood for Loulou, but when it's right, it's spectacular.
Not to sound like a broken record here, but this is definitely a less is more perfume.
I can't imagine what it must smell like when sprayed, lol.
I have the Parfum concentration, it's a vintage bottle, and I only wear one dab at a time. It's that potent.

Loulou seems to encompass every note that will guarantee the biggest sillage explosion, lol. It's sweet, full bodied, rich and voluptuous but also conveys a very ethereal feel. This scent flies all over the place while managing to keep absolute tantric longevity on skin.

It's a truly gorgeous floral oriental with a strong equatorial feel that will wrap its many silken veils around your senses. But if you put on too much, those silken veils become a garrote and you will feel the realities of medieval execution, no doubt there, lol.

I have no idea what the current reformulation have done to Loulou, but judging by all the other disfigured classics, let's just say I'm glad to have the vintage.

guachipiruli
guachipiruli

What can I say about Lou Lou… ever since i tried it for the first time at age ca 14 in a department store I was immediately enchanted. Love at first sight. Too bad they don't make it with the puff ball anymore… a light mist of Lou Lou is almost magical.
The more time passes by the better this scent is, so don't be discouraged by the head notes, wait… let the warmth of your body develop the heart and base. Wear Lou Lou under a scarf and the next day when you wear the scarf again you will say: wow! amazing...

evgenia80
evgenia80

I wanted to try it because of its legend; "the 80s in a bottle." I was disappointed by the opening because it seemed to me quite old fashioned . But the dry-down is interesting , it has something to "say". It is different . I want to give it a second chance . I also think that a perfume lover should own this because it represents an entire era.

wildwitch67
wildwitch67

From what I remember in the 80's I couldn't stand lou lou & everywhere I went, everyone was wearing it!!! I even think the pointy bottle is impractical! Perhaps my nose has changed over the years & I should resmell it??

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

I must admit... I purchased this juice for that awesome gawdy looking opaque sky blue flacon alone (not the one pictured, the pyramid shaped one) with those horrid but strangely alluring colour contrasts not even caring if it was going to reek like an over the top Women`s perfume, and I truly am fascinated beyond belief with Women`s perfumes... they're better smelling, better quality, much more interesting, kinda like Women themselves, and this is where my über prissiness as a heterosexual male gets me mixed comments, or causes confusion I should say, because I sometimes smell a little `girly`, but I could care less what others think because I like to smell pretty, and keeping people guessing is all the more fun in life, isn't it? I'd rather come across a pretty smelling person any day of the week, than an armpit...

Cacharel`s Lou Lou is very feminine partly from the strong Tuberose and Jasmine accords, and very indolic lending a strong `meaty` aspect through and through, but never pissy smelling, and Anise and Cinnamon are quite strong in this mix adding a heady liquorice and herbally spicy vibe well into the heart, and I desperately wish I got the note of Plum because I adore Plum in perfumes, but unfortunately I don't. I find Lou Lou strikingly similiar in the opening to Loita Lempicka`s Au Masculin, except the Tuberose and Tiaré flowers set it apart, and the drydown reminds one of Joop! Homme from the Heliotrope. The beautiful Tiaré flower is showcased from opening to drydown. The final drydown is just dusty beautiful where Lou Lou does give up some of her girliness to Vanilla, Benzoin and Incense all the while being true to that gorgeous and juicy Tiaré flower with Tuberose still present, but just damn pretty! Sillage and longevity is totally 80`s powerhouse. I'll probably have to layer this juice with Tom Ford`s Sahara Noir to kick up the balsamic Incense factor and to`comfortably` make it out` the front door, but if not, I'll happily bask in Lou Lou in the comfort of my own home, and if I ever smell this on a Woman? I'm proposing right then in there...

ScentPanther
ScentPanther

A few short years ago, anyone who told me that astronauts brought the powdered orange drink Tang into space with them, would have promptly tasted my fist. The mere thought of astronauts incites in me an incomprehensible rage. These dandies romp about in the ether in their comfy space suits, just inviting any form of xenomorph, alien microbial weapon of mass destruction, or mutating gamma rays to turn them into monsters that could threaten our entire world.

Oh, and regarding Tang - little known fact. Werewolves are not just vulnerable to silver bullets. A freshly prepared pitcher of tang will kill them just as surely as any silver slug to the heart. It was for this purpose that NATO originally developed Tang, and after the werewolf wars of the late 50's were over, huge surpluses of this caterpillar feces based substance were remaining in various stockpiles throughout the world. In order to reduce the overabundance, the ghost of Nikola Tesla suggested that astronauts be used to market it, and the rest is history.

Now, with respect to LouLou. Its various flasks are based on models of various extraterrestrial objects encountered by astronauts during the first series of conflicts between humanity and a coalition of aliens which had been capturing and probing intoxicated individuals in rural areas. The stark, geometric designs help us remember the lives and innocence lost in those dark years, and I say bravo to Cacharel for memorializing the men and women who fought for their species and planet.

This is L'Heure Bleu as interpreted by 80's era Cher.

LOVE IT.

All the tuberose that I'm missing in Poison, this has. It's a dirty but green-ish tuberose. Aside from that, there's layer upon layer of powder. Iris, violet, mimose and heliotrope which smells like cherry almond bath products. How can that not be awesome?

And, to top it off, a lovely creamy sandalwood base and soft, not too sweet vanilla. If I hadn't already blown my perfume budget for this paycheck I would be all over LouLou's ebay listings. Until then I'm just going to brood over my decant like Gollum.

Gosha
Gosha

I came across the very controversial reviews for Lou Lou a few times...and I was wondering... So I got a sample and have been testing it today and not once throughout the day (not after the first application that lasted some two hours not after the second one a while ago)did I dislike it in any way. It is bold, true. It is all that they promised in the little opening above: powerful, distinguishing, sensual, intoxicating, wild, mysterious, little dark, dangerous and I would also add some of my own observations: I think it's somehow "artsy", exuberant, at times quite sharp (dry down is mellow and smooth though!), a bit explosive and a little arrogant. And yet, strangely - I really like it. I am really enjoying the crazy Lou Lou. :-) Perhaps it is because I like many of those components and here they seem to blend very well (it definitely works for me, that's sure, although it does not last as long as I would expect from such a strong fragrance).

Greicealix
Greicealix

The kind of scent that everybody asks you what you're wearing. The sillage is amazing, the flowers accorde is very powerful and feminine. But as said before, not a everyday scent. Beautiful and pleasant, anyway.

mourmouro
mourmouro

NICE BUT VERY HEAVY SCENT... ONLY FOR SPECIAL OCCASION

Velvet_Touch

My mum bought me this one on Strawberrynet as it reminds her of her youth and the great memories she had. It is a special one in my view, but to be used from time to time, not daily.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

Septembrist and allegretto said it best, when they said that it was like lavatory spray and old-school roach spray, respectively. That is exactly it for me too -- the sickening smell of the lavatory spray in an airplane or a long distance bus, or the way roach spray used to smell like when I was a child.

As a lover of many vintage perfumes, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but: I cannot stand LouLou.

lizzie81
lizzie81

This is a strong, very feminine power house! Very distinctive smell, but I am struggling to pick out any notes. A slight bit of musky sweetness, a lot of incense and strong florals! This has the potential to be a great signature.

It perhaps does smell a little dated, but bear in mind I used to wear it as a teenager so could be just I associate it with the past.

Unfortunatly, around 10mins in on me (after a very promising start) there is a persistant slighly burned rubber type smell that my nose picks out and can't get over. I swear it didn't smell like this on me before. I'm not convinced though that everybodys chem would do this, which is why I said it has the potential to be a signature. It certainly has enough character!

Roselorien
Roselorien

She met him in Paris in her blue cashmere at the park that Winter Sunday morning.

I discovered Lou Lou when I collected perfume minis. The smell is so, so distinctive. So strong, yet so soft. So warm, yet so cool. It's like floral peppermint baby powder, but sophisticated somehow. Sadly, as with most of my favorites, the last LouLou I purchased about five years ago smelled bitter and musky and was missing the subtle sweetness of the original. I loved this perfume enough to keep trying it every so often. Even the 'I Dream of Genie' blue bottle with blood red resin cap is fantastic. In my top five faves.

mluckyg
mluckyg

Very strong blend of white flowers, purple flowers, yellow flowers and strong incense. The bomb of flowers and incense. Great projection and longevity.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

This was one I had been wanting to try due to its good reviews, and it being a name I had heard over and over when growing up - I felt like I would know this even though I was not familiar if that makes sense - its name was heard often enough that I assumed I would recognise the scent when I smelled it. I decided to cash in some of my boots points and give it a whirl.

This was not the case that I recognised this so either it has gone through some reformulation or I had never met this scent before.

You know how some scents paint a picture in your mind when you smell them? This is one of them for me -

It is the late 80's or early 90's. We are in the US, somewhere hot and sunny, with lots of paving, concrete and tarmac. A small group of teenage girls, maybe 3 or 4 of them, good friends throughout childhood and on the verge of adulthood meet in the summer holidays, wearing high waisted denim cut off shorts and fringed t shirts, their hair bleached and back-combed. They meet in the morning, coconut tanning old liberally applied. They sit on the hot tarmac chatting and laughing about boys, leafing through a glossy magazine laughing knowingly at the articles as if they were worldly wise, sharing a pack of cigarettes between them and feeling grown up, sexy, the world is about to open its doors wide to them. Before they go home that afternoon they pass around some minty chewing gum to try and mask the smoke on their breath.

This is the picture Lou Lou paints in my head.

On first spray I get a strong mint smell, with a tint of cigarette smoke, which I think is the incense. As this settles I get coconut, peppermint (maybe the cassia? I don't know), tuberose, musk and powder. I am really surprised at the minty-coconut smell which is most dominant to me for at least the first hour.

This is pleasant. Not a favourite by any means, but cheap and cheerful and certainly usable. It is far more brash and in your face than some others I have - not in terms of potency per se, it just has that adolescent "I know everything" confidence in abundance.
Longevity is good, I can smell this for several hours, and sillage is moderate, I can smell this but it doesn't fill the room.

You can get this for about £12-£15 for a 30ml bottle in the UK, at this price, if you are curious it might be worth giving it a go.

Bruxadomar
Bruxadomar

I used this many years ago then I got sick of it but I am back wearing it every now and again, can't be used too often .

chittylafemme
chittylafemme

It is over the top incensey, almost to the point where I thought there may have been a peppermint note or something. And for some reason when I smell it my stomach turns.

bronstein
bronstein

Putting your nose into this one means getting a breeze from 1980's bliss. Being confronted with this one is like being confronted with the times when the likes of Cyndi Lauper and Kim Wilde actually sold records by the bucketload, Europe was divided by the Berlin wall, the EU had just 12 members which displayed considerable economic growth. Back in those days, when the streets in Western Europe were full of girls and young ladies in mini skirts combined with black tights, this one was the fragrance of the moment.

It comes as no surprise then that so many comments below refer to their mothers when they think of this one. I think no one under 25 can wear this one without getting a strange feeling of wearing someone else's clothes. And those over 40 who still wear it should ask themselves whether they have yet arrived in the new millennium.

To cut things short: It's a classic fragrance, but unwearable nowadays.

matereac9
matereac9

Always remember my mum wearing this when she went out and on special occasions. It's a weird smell. Heavy and unusual but it suited her. I tried it some 10 years later and it is vile. It's not the same as I remember. What ever happened has ruined this peculiar classic.

pansylady
pansylady

This is a rich, deeply beautiful fragrance- just perfect for this cold, snowy December night-

It has the heart of a fragrance much older than its years-

I find it challenging to identify individual notes, because it is exquisitely blended- but I am picking up violets, iris, incens, plum ,and warm woods- and the rest is Parisian mystery...

In mood, it reminds me of a cross between Aimez-Moi and Poison

kiannka
kiannka

I had a mini bottle of Loulou, the perfume, not the spray new one... it was from a classics mini collection and it was the real 1987 Loulou...I was fascinated with it, the perfectly interesting perfume (and I generally hate flowers in perfumes, but this one was perfect)...after I finished it I bought a 30 ml bottle (genuine, not a fake), that is the eau de parfum spray current version of bottle, and I was confussed...it had an unpleasant sharpness to it, it seemed cheaper than the mini Loulou and it did not fascinate me like the other one. I used it and used it for some time, but I always had the feeling that something was missing...turns out that they reformulated it in 2011 (or so I heard) and RUINED it...I adored the mini one, this new one reminds me of the true Loulou, but one moment I like how it smells on me, the next I hate it--it is so heavy and smokey without being supposed to be smokey (reminds me a lot of men's perfume); the other was heavy, but not aggressive, it was a good heavyness...I also sometimes got allergic responses from it: contact dermatitis on the neck, sneezing when I smell it on my wrist a second after spraying it (but I do have hay fever and other kinds of atopic allergies to several stuff, so whatever)...All in all, SUCH A PITY, makes me angry that I can't have the real deal, the one I like, the perfume is ruined, Loulou is dead...there is no Loulou anymore, just a cheap joke instead of it...like they say, change one thing and you change everything......no perfume felt so 'me' as Loulou...sad.

lollsazz
lollsazz

I smelt it today and it smelt extremely sharp, old fashioned, very smoky and medicinal. The type of fragrance that I smell and think "woah, let's NOT do that again...!" I think this type of fragrance can only fit a few people on which it might develop to something very different.

mariapapaya
mariapapaya

Love it, as it reminds me of my youth!

gracenote-floralspice

I love this fragrance. It is unconventional. The initial opening is rather sharp, almost unpleasant. I later get the red flower and the wonderful and much softer powdery dry down. This fragrance is not for the timid of heart. It is a lady who is at home in soft twirl pants and ballet flats at home. Then she can confidently don her beret, silk blouse, leather jacket and denim and sit chatting with the boys in a billiards room, or in a board room and even be a director. She is the master of her destiny. However it is also a lady who wears a lace Spanish red dress and is the beautiful and confident dancer of flamenco, or the player of the Spanish guitar. I love Lou Lou and I suggest if timid is not your thing that you give it a try! Be sure that you will need an open mind? Or should that read an open olfactory mind?

Imadele
Imadele

I do not know if this has been reformulated or not but
I loved this when it first came out and dislike it now !!

Rosetaire

Love loulou hope to fInd another signature scent to change between .

Rosetaire

Love loulou hope to fInd another signature scent to change between .

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

Ive never smelled the perfume but my mom bought the lotion abou20 years ago at the boardwalk...the "LouLou" cursive was very difficult to read and we weren't sure exactly what it was called--"Louie Louie", we thought!
In lotion form it was quite nice not overwhelming and a bit spicy. I believe those who say the perfume in spray form is a bit much, that was the nature of the flapper chic, in-your face...if I ever find it again Ill give it to mom as she doesn't like many fragrances but she did wear this one.

Mirabele
Mirabele

with no offence to all who like it, to me it smells exactly how it looks - plastic, shallow and not sophisticated at all. The bottle is the opposite of elegant and pretty. I can not understant this turquose and red combo at all, this is like a bad joke. The perfume is not so strong as i had imagined and it lacks depth on my skin. I really wanted to like it, at least to understand it, because it is such a famous perfume but it does not work for my nose nor brain. It is not expensive, but not that cheap here. I believe vintage version must be something i would have respect for.

Rosetaire

Loveley,can someone give me advise of a similar perfume

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

Today I again felt this wonderful and sensual fragrance

deeanna
deeanna

I really lovED it. Clear, white, milky, but not too sweet, the subtility of the tonka bean... a kind of tender orgeat sirup... I smelled it recently, and ... what a disgusting shok ! Smelled rather grey, old, smokey, strangely sweet like and old christmas synthetic ball... I don't understand. Did my perceptions change, or the perfume itself ?

gracenote-floralspice

I love Lou Lou. Being physical light of build and not a power house girl, I was surprised that the fragrance did not wear me. The initial spray is quite soapy and even roachy spray. Then the settling happens. And my what a beautiful smell, the Tonka bean and woods come through along with the red flowers mentioned and the tuber rose The dry down is woody and powdery, dramatic, but on my skin not over the top

Hearing that dreaded word reformulation I have an old miniature of Lou Lou in a tiny bottle with a rippled long pointed lid.
Exquisite. The other is an octagonal bottle narrowing to the top. I got this from hubby in the 90s. I am going to eek it out!
Long live Lou Lou

Femme en Blanc
Femme en Blanc

At the beginning, its very smokey with a lot of incense.
Very intense. Then by the hour, the intensity starts to simmer down and mellows into a slight tinge of vanilla, that's not easily detectable on the nose. There's something dark and sensual about this fragrance.
I love it.

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

OMG I have been wanting this forever, just KNEW I'd love it.. I love heavy strong oriental, powerhouses and everything I've read & heard about this one made it sound perfect for me. I often love ones that others hate.. I finally purchased the 1oz bottle, just came today..

PUBLIC BATHROOM DEODERIZER.. Those cakes/bars they put in the toilet & urinals. Ant & roach spray.. Cloying citrus & incense trying to cover strong chemicals..

The very first perfume I cant understand anyone ever wanting to wear..

Hopefully this is a bad reformulation and there is a yummy vintage version somewhere else I'm stumped at its popularity.

septembrist
septembrist

I tried to like this -- having bought it blind I was going off all the good reviews. However, there is an element to it that reminds me of lavatory spray. The first impression is a confusing and dense mixture of floral notes, which does die down in intensity after an hour, but the notes change only minutely through time.

My partner came up with a good analogy -- whereas the perfumes I appreciate are like beams of light, illuminating what is already there, this perfume is like a mask that covers and suffocates what is underneath. Even when used sparingly the scent is very dense. I can see it growing on me, but it feels strange, a scent that cannot be ignored.

allegretto
allegretto

As God is my witness, I'll never buy blind again. Because of LT's review and the reasonable cost, I went for it. I was stunned at first spritz--was this a joke? People actually wear this? People actually like this? It was, simply, ghastly. But, having smelled something less than the thousands of perfumes that have passed under LT's nose, I was willing to concede that perhaps I was missing something, so I tried it several more times, each time remaining mystified. Yesterday was the final time. I sprayed a little on my wrists and took a sniff; the instantaneous pain in my head and the accompanying nausea somehow brought clarity-- Lou Lou smells like roach spray, the way it was before it was reformulated in order to make it smell less revolting and sick-making.

The good news, for people who like this thing, is that it is virtually impervious to the effects of soap and water. Enjoy, but please don't sit near me.

njaalgahaisyeini
njaalgahaisyeini

I bought a mini for nostalgia reasons mainly (my aunt used to have this in the 80s) and also for the cute, exceptional bottle design which I adored even back then. As a fragrance this isn't bad, but needs very careful handling as the teeniest of drops is easily discernible, especially in closed spaces, and I am a fan of the softer sillage. This scent dries down rather nicely, however - the more delicate, sweeter notes get more space - but sadly doesn't lose its initial strong soapiness, which I really dislike. I can see why this made such waves back then, even though this is not really something for which I could find any regular wear. May give a headache to those with more sensitive nose so use wisely as its sillage is quite heavy.

Jennypennypocket
Jennypennypocket

I LOVED Anais Anias in the 80's and thus decided to buy the other popular scent made by the perfumer, Cacharel....I could never quite decide if I liked the perfume or not. It had a wonderful full and sensual scent. But I remember it being so SWEET, yet the sweetness was weighed down by the sheer HEAVINESS of it. So I think I only wore it when I was at home. And my mother did NOT like it. But she is a "Diorissimo" by Dior and "Green Tea" by Elizabeth Arden kind of gal.

I DO hope the bottle will pop up out of the woodwork somewhere some time. But I probably still wouldn't wear it out because now I like more subdued scents like YSL "Paris" and DKNY "Be Delicious Men".

rosembloom

I am wondering if the latest reviews are for the new and reformulated Loulou. I had one in the '80's and Wonder if if has lost most of its punch as many say. Seing these reviews, I am somewhat hopeful to find my old beloved signature perfume. Simply everyone loved that heavy tiaré-candied floral on me and it put me ins such good spirits|! Hoping to find one soon! ( thanx Red 347 for helping me! xxx

LisaLovesPerfume
LisaLovesPerfume

I love Lou Lou. I think it has a strong coconut note. I love wearing it in any season, but especially in summer.

muskymale
muskymale

Today 31st August 2013: I went to my local Boots the chemist and smelled Loulou the reformulation, and all I can say is: a shadow of her former Self. Tame, no way near as sexy as l'originale, and not worth it at all!!! I still own the original I bought from eBay, and it took ONLY one spray, and you're hooked. The new sad and ghastly awful cheap formulation I sprayed 6 times all over jeans and clothes and arms, and I couldn't even smell it!!! What a shame !!!!! Lou lou deserves to be re launched in its original flacon. The one like the Aladdin's lamp shape! They should do it in 30, 50, and 80 ml edition!

magodia
magodia

back in 1990 I used to take the bus to the university every morning .Then suddenly every morning from the moment I got on the bus I instantly got a headache and nausea.It kept like that for some days and the mystery solved when I sat close to a friend wearing Loulou.That was it...they took me to the hospital.I don't know which ingredient exactly caused it but when i smell it i run away hahahhahaha

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

Dramatic, powdery, creamy and once sniffed never forgotten.

merlin1999
merlin1999

I remember this from when it first came out in the 80,s. I never wore it, it was just too "big" for me, and I never really like scents with lots of tuberose. But I could appreciate its appeal for others. I remember it as a kind of syrupy, loud, bold, yet womanly fragrance that was beautifully put together. Had a spritz of it recently, and could hardly recognize it! The latest incarnation is just vile - it smells so cheap and nasty! So sorry if I am offending lovers of this perfume, but it now reminds me of raid bug spray.

stormyla
stormyla

This is one fragrance that I missed out on during the 80's. There were so many powerhouse scents available then and the biggest reason that I never tried this is that I hated the bottle. Given that the name was also silly and frou frou, it was an easy one to pass over.

None of my friends wore Lou Lou, so I pretty much had no knowledge of it, or of it's large following. I was in my 30's during the 80's and my friends were all my age or older. It was an era where we former hippies had shed our love beads and were participating in corporate takeovers among the dreaded military industrial complex. The age of acquisitions was all about opulence, beautiful things and perfume bottles like the gorgeous crystal of Ralph Lauren's Safari were attracting the middle aged women.

One of my fragrance collecting emphasis this year is to try all of the scents created by Jean Guichard. This extremely gifted gentleman created at least three fragrances that are at the core of my nucleus of favorites. The overwhelming support of the reviews here led me to believe that Lou Lou must indeed be another outstanding example of Mr. Guichard's genius.

I found three vintage minis of Lou Lou. In one of the bottles the juice had darkened and taken on a red color, but still smelled pretty good. Over a three day period I tried each bottle.

Lou Lou is a very pretty fragrance. Mr. Guichard's touch is very evident in this scent. It has many nice notes and qualities, but in my opinion does not approach the perfection of several of his other fragrances.

On me this scent lasted about 7 hours. Based upon the comments here I expected this to be a sillage monster, but it was not. I am aware that this was an award winning fragrance, but quite frankly can't see why unless it was because of it's pioneering use of the Tiare flower. I can take this one or leave it and since there are so many other exceptional fragrances to enjoy, I'm going to leave this one.

I hope that all the Lou Lou lovers are doing their best to buy up whatever is left of the vintage bottles of this lovely fragrance so that this creation does not disappear from the world!

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

In my early twenties I lived for a few years in Switzerland. I worked in a building with a Frenchwoman who received a lot of male attention. This was something that puzzled me as she was small and bony, with a horse face and frizzy, mouse colored hair. Of course she was very chic as only Frenchwomen know how to be but it may have had something to do with the wisps of gorgeous fragrance that she left in her wake. Before I moved back to the States, I asked her what it was that she was wearing and so discovered LouLou.
I wore Loulou almost exclusively for fifteen years after that. Because really, why would you wear something else when you can have the olfactory perfection that is LouLou? Someone below described seeing purple when she smells LouLou and I get that too. It's sweet and floral, creamy and incense-y. Alien reminds me a bit of LouLou. But where Alien is metallic, LouLou is fleshy. I smell jasmine, tuberose and vanilla but mostly I just smell LouLou. There really is nothing else like it.

tourmali45
tourmali45

On me Lou Lou is lovely but somber. The smokiness, iris and sandalwood give the impression of seriousness. Wearing Lou Lou I don't skip, I walk. It suits grey clods in the city and urban feeling as a whole. I picture wearing Lou Lou in grey bleak winter - it'll warm me up with incense and will act as a soft cashmere sweater engulfing me in comfortable warmness. A classy slightly retro rich scent. My new love.

markus.wiberg@gmail.com
markus.wiberg@gmail.com

I like it, sooooo 80'ties

sissu
sissu

Oh Loulou. You are simply precious!

I love balmy fragrances. I love powdery fragrances. I love white floral fragrances. But who would have thought that all those different genres blended together in one and the same fragrance would be a good idea?! Reading reviews and asking around about Loulou I for one definitely was leaning on the "this is gonna be a disaster" side. So, much to my surprise, when I finally got the chance to smell Loulou today, I actually loved it! Who would have thunk it! Its just so different and it blends so beautifully with my skin that the scent I radiate becomes absolutely irresistable. Balmy-powdery-floral what an amazing combination.

My hat goes off to Mr. Jean Guichard for being so brave as to actually venture into this unique mixture of notes... and making it work! Long live Loulou the seductive queen of the night! Or day for that matter! ....that is if you don't mind people following you around, floating on a cloud of the trail you leave behind, in a trance-like state. I can imagine boys falling head over heals :) There is just something so unexpected about this fragrance.

esther12234
esther12234

Loulou by Cacharel is the most unique fragrance . First of all this miracle has a good longevity and trail . One drop on the skin and people would notice it .
Trail is enormous -cause it's contains incence, vanilla, benzoin, musk and sandalwood . This is notes provides good trail and also good longlasting effect ,this is law of perfumery .
This is perfume has a good vibration effect-one moment its very warm ,other moment it's give cold effect -ylang-ylang and anise start to sound in this composition .
This is very pity because when you look on the recent market and fragrance which launched recently you start to be boring and I am glad Loulou still in production .

n.chin
n.chin

Lou Lou is very powdery and very sweet. I use the mini bottle, applying only a small dab to my wrists. I smell a cloudy, yet lovely, potpourri smoke all day! (the smoke wasn't that thick, it was like how some in fragrantica here would call it as 'flat). My, does it smell so good! I am trying to try and experiment with all these perfumes that were made way long before I was born. I could certainly understand why Lou Lou have always been a classic!

But the dry down gave me mixed feelings, now I actually smell like one of my teachers who gave me quite a difficult time way back in my high-school years. It has some kind of a wrong nostalgic effect on me, but on the perfume itself it is really lovely! I am looking forward to owning a 30ml or 50ml bottle soon.

redsuedekitten
redsuedekitten

Dry, powdery, floral smoke. This is amazing. The most obvious notes to me are Smoke (listed as incense, but really just a flat, smokey note), Tuberose (adding heady sweetness), Sandalwood (giving comforting warmth and depth), Vanilla (forming a gooey, sweet foundation), and Jasmine (adding minty coolness to the already heady white floral scent of the Tuberose). The Iris is what pulls all of this together: it creates a muted, powdery, almost fuzzy texture out of the other notes. In a synaesthetic sense, this perfume smell reminds me of pale blue suede, having an overall furry softness and elegance to it.

It sprays on as a rich, decadent floral, and quickly modulates through a number of key changes to settle as a floral-vanilla-powdery-smoke fragrance. It's remarkable, versatile, and truly beautiful. LouLou is an in-your-face, overt version of Guerlain's great L'Heure Bleue, sharing many qualities, yet somehow having a distinct character of its own.

Sprayed on in the morning, on skin and near the edges of clothing, this will easily last all day.

Fragrantnatic
Fragrantnatic

Aside from Anais Anais, this was one of the very distinctive smelling perfume of the 80's I have had,as far as I can remember. I got a miniature bottle of this from a gift set back then and though I was hooked on Anais Anais, I was totally put off with this one. The Incense thing was so strong & it smelled like an old rag you kept on the attic or something.. sorry, not for me. :(

LlygaidSerennog
LlygaidSerennog

It's funny how a smell can bring back a memory you didn't know you had. One inhale and I'm around seven years old again, it's a hot day and for some reason my mum is laying on a towel in the garden doing nothing. Not really sure what 'sunbathing' is I decide it looks boring and go back to playing mermaids in the paddling pool. The heavy smokeyness of the perfume is unsuited to hot Summer days and yet I wouldn't have this memory if my mum hadn't worn it. I wear it on days I need a comforting blanket to wrap myself in and hide away from the world; but it pulls me to my feet, shakes my shoulders and says 'you're a woman now, you can deal with anything.' It stays loyal for a long time too. I can still smell it the next morning, the smokeyness died down leaving a warm fruity haze. I wonder what memories it would invoke for my mum. I wonder what she'd think if I wore it as she had done. As oversensitive and emotional as it sounds I hope she'd be proud and she'd know that despite our differences in later life she helped me turn into the woman I am now.

EDIT: I realise that I've given the impression my mum is no longer here, she is alive and well. We just haven't been close for a long time; she was still a great influence on me though, even if it was through her absence and lingering perfume.

AthenaSmith
AthenaSmith

Cacharel LouLou is decadent, warm, and intense. It smells like hot, rich, exotic powder; a complex combination of heavy sensuality and feminine sweetness. Gives off an expensive, mysterious feel somehow. It is a heady, distinctive, powdery floriental that's not for the faint of heart. Definitely a classic.

scentsforme

It smells kinda old on me, will try again later…

Update: I like it, spray and walk into it, thats at it's the best…Wonderful!!!!

arzacu
arzacu

Lovely fragrance...

Sweet, powdery, on my skin lasts forever...

Very "make up" kind of smell... dusty, strong, with very much personality, a little waxy on the iris note, that i looove!!!!

one of the most seductive fragrances, totally wearable and recommended for winter, and night time!!!

Yola
Yola

I have to agree with kittycat63, this is a real stinker!! I'm really offended by the smell, my co-worker uses this sometimes and i hate it.

When i was going to school years ago there was always the same woman on the bus, drenched in Loulou and it gave me a headache instantly.

Have fun with it but this one is not for me if it was the last perfume in the world.I don't want to offend anyone and there is no other perfume (Gloria Vanderbilt maybe) that i dislike so much.

Patricia40
Patricia40

I just finished a sample bottle and I will definitely be getting a bottle or maybe a gift set. I am so surprised it ranked only 3.42 out of 5, because to me this is a timeless, unique and a classic.I get sweet flowers complementing each other, sweetness but in a good way and talc powder

:Pat

An explosion of sweet flowers and smokey incense. I love this stuff. I only have a mini in the Aladdin shaped bottle and I have no idea how old it is. This is one of those fumes that makes me inhale deeply when I smell it, its that good. I must get a full bottle.

itsallgood
itsallgood

I swam in several bottles of this back in the day and thoroughly enjoyed each one.

elisa.fuentes briones
elisa.fuentes briones

the original was very sweet . how is it know........

kismetdaisy

is this at all vanilla powdery? I'm thinking maybe I smelled it before.. Not sure. Can anyone compare this to anything?

Beepert
Beepert

To me: Givenchy Amarige's older, more thoughtful sister! Beautiful :) I will be snapping up a bottle as soon as I get a chance.

Lynee'99
Lynee'99

It was so great to read Kismetdaisy's comments about getting to know some of the older creations out there. Please, to the young women of today keep the great classic perfumes alive. There is something to be said for some of the fruity, bubble gum scents that abound today as each generation likes to break the mold of the past and find their own "scent history." But there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, like the sensuality and intoxicating sillage that a classic like YSL's Opium or Caron's fountain perfume N'Aimes Que Moi.

babskrimpen

How come the description says it is build around tiare flower but it is not in the notes?

kismetdaisy

I've been getting obsessed with trying perfumes that were made before I was born. It's fascinating to me; the differences in perfumes over the years and how they progress. Everything has been reformulation, so it's been hard for me to smell original works. So far in my collection, all I have is vintage opium, Shalimar, chopard casmir, and just found a bottle of Mitsouko. I need to expand my collection of classic perfumes.. And just found out about LouLou. I'm pretty new to collecting perfumes in general, actually-so I'm still waiting to find the one perfume that makes me melt. The notes in this one sound so beautiful, I can't wait to try it. My friends seem to think my classic fumes smell "old ladyish." Which I will admit they are different, but just a different style from a different time. My generation has been thrown off from good perfumes from all the frags out now that are really almost just pseudo-fragrances. If that makes sense. I will admit that i have fallen victim to the likes of the oh so sweet, vanilla gourmands that are so popular today,but i also the classics.I definitely am going to buy this, and I'm hoping to get that "wow" factor that I've yet to find in a perfume. I guess I'm picky, but there has to be a reason for all the hype on this. I just reallt hate reformulations. i wish i was there to smell all the classics in the beginning! Wish me luck! Edit: kkkkmkmm sry, keypad messed j jpkk up' ... Kooks like I'm going to have to wait to get this one. Just spent a lot in fumes today and can't find a very good priced mini. I def want to sample this before Diving right in.. Bummer. Is there a big diff between the new and original?

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

First things first, I want to thank Nopasho for his splendid review on Lou Lou. I generally enjoy your reviews, they make smile and laugh with an open mouth. I frequently share many of your negative and positive remarks, and I even found myself piking up a bottle to spray and check some of the observations. I'm always thankful with those who make me think/feel in a different way (sometimes is too boring to be oneself all the time). Your Lou Lou's review is just superb, your best. Impossible to improve. Your appreciations over the blend of notes are very precise and lucid. And the whole text is a bright generous way of saying this one like some other few scents, are just for those whose implication in existence allow them to cross the limits of correction, cleanliness and safety. Courage is demanded by this creation as it is by life if you want to get to know and feel some important experiences.

I love wearing Lou Lou. I like it so much that I can't stop noticing how much I like it while I'm wearing it.

Danita Verpoort
Danita Verpoort

Lou Lou opens with a dark cloud of black currant, plum, almond, anise and floral herbs. Followed by heavy sweet intoxicating flowers, tiaré flower was in the 80's something new! Eventually sweet balmy, dry, powdery notes. This is a bold mysterious oriental classic from this period.

iloveloulou
iloveloulou

Lou lou will be my signature forever and ever.. the best perfume ever .. at least for me !

plum
plum

It was my signature scent in my late teens. Got it from my grandma who got it from my aunt. No one wanted poor LouLou.
It's hard to believe in the power of this little blue bottle! All my male friends went crazy - everyone wanted to sit next to me! One of them used to take my scarf around his neck and sit with his nose just glued to it! They were very disapointed when the bottle got empty.
This is the one and only perfum my husband recognizes. And he is one of these male friends:)

flying_colours
flying_colours

This was an impulse buy for me today because it was on sale and I remembered reading about it on this site and thinking it sounded like something I'd like. That hideous bottle caught my attention I guess...

This is nice, not sure if I love it though. It really reminds me of something and makes me think of my childhood, so perhaps someone in my past, a teacher or somebody, used to wear this. I was born in 1988 so it's quite possible a lot of ladies were still wearing it when I was a small child. I get the impression of a bunch of flowers heaped on top of vanilla and powder. It's potent, and a little dated. This, along with its lovelier (distant) cousin Coco, is what I imagine the 80s must have smelled like!

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

just got the pure parfum bottle, my greed after smelling the edp ...wow..it is so strong the raunchy powdery blast really hit you in the nose...then the notes of the edp comes after two three hours like the edp mentioned by other fellow fragrantica..thinking of hoarding the parfum bottle by buying more....got to hide it too..my daughters have been using it without my knowledge after catching them red handed using it..:-)

ninelives97
ninelives97

Just got this in a swap from AngieGCarp - along with a bonus perfume I don't know. Housebound on an icy day seems like a good day to test them both out. Thank you to Angie! My impressions on LouLou... Clearly someone from my childhood wore this. It smells very familiar. I thought it would be more of a soft Oriental. I tend to gravitate towards spicy Orientals in all my favorites, so this would be a nice summer scent, I hoped. It's definitely soft, but not at first. At first it is so overwhelmingly white flowers. Too much for me. But it fades to a balmy powder. It's an attractive scent. But it seems to be a blonde scent to me? I wanted the dark and brooding notes others had mentioned. But I'm getting more of a cheerleader vibe. Then... A baby powder vibe. Ugh no. On someone else I would probably think, oh they smell nice. But I wouldn't ask them what they're wearing because I would know, that's not a scent for me. I need something spicier and I just can't seem to break from my classically Oriental fragrances. But on to the next, Slava Zaitsev Maroussia...maybe this will appeal to my Slavic ancestry. Going to try it without reading on it. Sometimes it's better to leave a little mystery when trying something new.

doormouse1
doormouse1

Lou Lou is a beautiful, enduring classic. Perhaps a little too grown-up for those used to sweety, floral celebrity offerings. I suggest you come back in twenty years or so and try Lou Lou again. You might change your mind.

Ouch!
Ouch!

This perfume should come with a warning label..."Not suitable for everyone" HAHA.

I’m a fan though...but never know when to wear this.

This is a complex, mysterious smoky plum and incense bomb! Tons of heady flowers assault your senses...Tuberose petals...jasmine...smoke...smooth vanilla...orris...whack whack whack..it’s just so much all at once and it’s awesome. It’s hard to pick out notes and discect this fragrance as I think it was made to be just a halo of 80’s fabulousness surrounding you!

This perfume has stood the test of time which goes to show how popular it is. Yes it’s dated..but I think it needs a huge revival. It reminds me of my childhood immensely.
I’m lucky enough to have tried the vintage and the new formulation. The vintage is much more full bodied, smoother...well blended and not as dry and smoky as the new formulation. Both are cool but the vintage is way better. It smells like make up and incense...

The vinatage gets sweeter as it dries which tames down the assault..and the reformulation stays a bit more high pitched (tone wise). The reformulation doesn’t have as much longevity as the vintage..of course..but both are still good to experience.

This fragrance is for the bold..the beautiful..and anyone who has the balls to pull it off! AWESOME!

Clyn11
Clyn11

So well blended.. Soft powdery yet rich and so long lasting!

Slain
Slain

If this perfume were a lady, I'm sure she'd be sexy as hell and wealthy to boot! I LOVE this scent on women. So alluring, so distinctive and very bold. Gorgeous and enchanting.

This should be a standard in every woman's collection.

Yours sincerely,
One super enchanted male ;)

Hollie
Hollie

I just received my bottle in the mail and I'm so excited! I'm not quite ready to leave a review yet but I wanted to ask this:

Why does it say that the fragrance is built around Tiare flower when it's not even listed as one of the notes??????

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

LouLou has a sly way of creeping up and ambushing, then you can't live without it. If I had to choose one fragrance to take to on a desert isle, it would be LouLou .Why LouLou? It always fits perfectly, and frankly, I have yet to get tired of it, even after wearing it for days straight. Others, I have to be in the right mood to wear, or the scent doesn't fit" for long.
There's some that might seem downright incongruous such as Bandit or Coco Mademoiselle, even though I love them and find them fascinating.
It helps that my husband, who hates my green chypres, loves LouLou enough as a replacement for the current Opium reformulation disaster,(as most tend to be).
I'll add that I get a strong, sweet benzoin and heliotrope dichotomy
at the first spritz, then iris' powdery spicy accent enters the picture, warming things up a little. Other than my detecting a slight incensey sweetness that lends it's longlasting mark, I find it difficult specifically pinpointing the remainder of those beautiful notes mentioned above. Could I be on the mark by thinking that others are with me there, and LouLou's mystery and allure could partly originate from that we can't agree on what makes this elixir great?
Whatever the reason, LouLou sure has a way of pushing her way to the top of my favorites list.

kitka
kitka

I had this perfume back in the 80s, so I feel it is an 80s scent when everything was big hair, heavy makeup and screaming perfume. It's as bold as the bottle that surrounds it. These days, I feel perfume should complement, not take over. Lou Lou takes over, it takes control and there's nothing you can do about it, at least until it begins to wear off (which can take 2 days, no kidding). It's like that loud obnoxious person that dominates a conversation and you can't get a word in to save your life. It's that loud crazy neighbor with the insane laugh and barking dog. It might have made sense in the 80s, but if this fragrance is that same formulation, I will be leaving Lou Lou dancing in the night clubs on the boldly lit dance floors.

Xenia01st
Xenia01st

love this perfume, but don't like how does the bottle look like, which for me is really important when choosing perfume.

tterekhova
tterekhova

Just ordered a vintage version. Hope it will be authentic. Maybe it will be my new signature scent?

MaddieClfd
MaddieClfd

I bought LouLou. Decided that I want it in my collection knowing very well I'm not gonna wear it often. You can pretty much always get it cheap, I bought my blue coffin in Boots for £15 (rather than look for vintage bottle). Fragrance is huge, at least it feels like that too me, it overwhelmes me a little. It doesn't smell like anything recently created, it's bold and strong, complex. Opening - I don't really like it. Smells harsh, flowers and maybe incense. It settles after 30 min to 1hr. I like the drydown, it's warm and powdery. Worth the wait. I sprayed it at 8 this morning and after 1 hour LouLou woke up on my skin and rewarded me with lovely fragrance. It's a bit weird too, it is strong but not a sillage monster. Lasts forever. On clothes forever and a day.
I' m trying to domesticate LL, we shall see what is going to happen. At the moment wearing it is a bit of hard work, I feel like I'm an addition to LouLou. Like LouLou wears me ;)

I'm keeping it, it's a classic worth knowing, but I like my perfume to make happy, cheer me up, and LouLou is not light and easy to wear.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Got it today had to buy it again (30ml) not sure my wife will like it so if not.. it ends in my perfume closet :-)

It was 1988 and i was 9.
My brother 17 and my sister 16 on their hightimes going out with their friends in the weekends .
I loved to see them coming over at friday night hanging out at our place having fun and being excited about the night to come.

My brother had girlfriends and friends with girlfriends and ofcourse my sister had great looking girlfriends too :-)
I was sitting between them sniffing their necks.
It was BIG FUN! (echoes the song from Inner city's Big Fun)
In the 80's the perfume industry was putting powerhouses on the shelf and LouLou was one of those pilars.
As my brother wore Egoiste,Kouros,Lapidus and Tsar my sister was only wearing this bright neon Blue well crafted bottle with this enchanting red cap. (later she got the sprayer which also was very attractive as a bottle)
All the girls had LouLou and i was in heaven!

This scent is for me the benchmark of the womens powerhouse.
Its creamy,sweet and wildly mysterious!
Another fact this is a masterpiece : There is only 1 LouLou!
Not like all the Amor series.

As they say about this in the marketing which i cannot say better :
"Loulou is like intoxicating dark red flower which allures you to the depth of dangerous and dark forest. Yet, it is not possible to resist. It is irresistible and once you are engrossed by its warm scent, you simply have to let go and follow it, you have to pick the forbidden fruit

From the first seconds when applied this smells good!

In my opinion not unisex!
***pour femme***

DKriz
DKriz

Very new here & at this stage my naïve nose can only report impressions rather than individual notes, and for me Lou Lou does make a very good impression. Initially on my skin there are sharp white flowers which become sweeter, spicier AND powdery after about 30min to 1hr. I do agree with the descriptions below that it smells of old makeup - but in a good way! I can also understand why many members request a light hand when applying; that said, I am having a grand old time with 4 sprays of Lou Lou ... please note that I am home alone whilst typing up this review! Longevity update @ 10 hours; this delightful & happy fragrance (imho) is still with me though I felt that it was starting to lose its huge projection @ around 4 or 5 hours - I have the brand new EDP.

scentsforme

Does anyone think this smells like White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor?

AngelaChase
AngelaChase

There is a reason, Loulou is called “A masterpiece” in the perfume industry, and was one of the biggest selling perfumes, not only of the 80’s but of all time!
There is not a perfume like this anywhere in the world and this will not remind you of any other scent!
This is pure incense, powder, rain forest and exotic flowers.
If Loulou had a story to fit it’s perfume, it would be...
A young, beautiful Japanese empress, would awake every morning, surrounded by the mysteries of Japans wild flowers. And after bathing herself in the pure waters of the high mountains, filled with rose petals and gardenia oil, would spray her body with Loulou, before wrapping herself in her winter silk Kimono. And as she walked the kingdoms grounds, through the lightly snow covered green fields to show off her beauty to Japan, would bring the women, men, and children to their knees, with the evoking and paralysing scent, of Tiare flower, as she held out her hands, to touch and bless anyone who was lucky enough to receive her eye contact of greatness!
Not only does this perfume fill a room, but it fills a theatre!
Walk into any room, and watch everyone's head instantly lift, to see what that incredible scent is that’s stopped everyone in their track!
Everyone will notice you as soon as you open a door because Loulou pushes everyone aside to make room for you to walk past them, on a velvet carpet covered in flowers before grabbing people by the collars to follow you!
This perfume not only brings compliment after compliment, but it would turn Jesus himself into your own personal stalker! Loulou leaves men weak and helpless and the women wanting to be you!
Both dry skin types and moist skin types will get more than 12 hours out of this, it is really that big, loud, powerful, dangerous and even deadly, just like Pandora's box...as stated by Loulou herself! Will last more than a week on a shirt/jacket!
The only thing I recommend, is to not wear this when being intimate with someone...a man or woman would most likely end up chocking after a while when being close to your body/skin for more than 10 minutes.
This is 100% a 10/10 perfume! A life long commitment once purchased and worn for the first time by anyone who wants to make the biggest statement one can make without saying one single word!
A pure winter and night pefume!

Millan78
Millan78

This is a truly gem!
Wonderful, bring back so many memories from my childhood when I was sniffing around in a ferries tax-free shop :)
Don´t overspray though, 2 sprays and you will smell as a goddess the whole day! :)

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

legendary masterpiece!! Intense but never overwhelming to me!! Always have a bottle in my collection..(I have over 300!)

maelleinrome

A masterpiece. I think I've finally found my signature...I found it in the past!!! This is doubtless a scent you love or hate passionately, you can't have a lukewarm reaction to this one. To appreciate it, you must love intense, almost rude fragrances, with a strong personality and unmistakable. That's way I absolutely love the fragrances of the Eighties, as Obsession or Poison, but especially this one!
Lou Lou opens with a strong note of honeyed tuberose + plum on my skin: at this stage, I can find the similarity with Poison too. But then it evolves, through the notes of jasmin, violet, ylang ylang and incense, into a powdery (iris + heliotrope), vanillic base, similar to the smell of the old eyeshadows and cosmetics! It's a fragrance both sensual and comfortable, that talks about a tender, romantic but at the same time passionate woman, sweet, but confident and with a strong personality. It's very intense and long lasting, and it has the power to make me feel more serene and confident. Try it if you've never done before: you'll love it or you'll hate it, but I assure that you will never forget it :)

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

Lou lou is powdery heaven for me. I really couldn't imagine how old make up would smell like until the moment when i received my own bottle of this beauty. I could smell it without even spraying. The next day i was using my palette with quite old eye shadows and boom - lou lou was hiding there! They smell exactly the same.
On me its smoky powdery vanilla with a hint of tuberose. Opening is not really very nice, sharp and hard to identify. You have to give it a bit of time to settle. it's worth. This is dark mystery in a fancy bottle. I like heavy screaming scents and lou lou maybe a bit old fashioned but still lovely is one of them. Sillage and longevity excellent. I give it 10/10 and will definitely repurchase.

flashingwhitelights
flashingwhitelights

LOVE this perfume. It reminds me of my childhood when my mum kept all her fragrances on top of her tall bedroom cabinet and I used to stand on a chair to smell them - Lou Lou and Rive Gauche were my favourites. I detect vanilla, powder (probably from the violet), jasmine, musk, benzoin and insence in this fragrance. I can understand why some people are put off Lou Lou; it is quite a strong, in-your-face perfume. I however love it in moderation... I find it good for evening wear. Personally I don't like sugary sweet fragrances... this is sweet without reminding me of candy and making me nauseas. Fortunately for me I got given an old edp bottle circa 1990, and it still smells better than the testers in the department stores today! Lou Lou will forever be a classy, mysterious fragrance.

Kittycat63

Nellyrlight - sorry, but I have to disagree with some of what you've said!

You said in your review that if anyone criticizes Loulou then they have really poor knowledge about perfumes and that it's probably their own body oils mixing with the scent that makes it smell unpleasant to them. You also said that Loulou is the last perfume in the world to call cheap.

A person doesn't have to have a vast knowledge of perfumery to know whether they like a scent or not, whether it disagrees with them in one way or another or not, and expensive perfumes can smell incredibly cheap, and some cheap perfumes smell expensive!

Similarly, if someone finds certain foods unpleasant in taste and/or smell it also doesn't mean they have to be a master chef and have a huge knowledge of cuisine! Sometimes certain things repel people and that could be for any number of reasons.

I had a bottle of Loulou years ago and at first I kind of liked it, although I think I convinced myself I liked it more than I actually did! I then went off it really quickly and found it utterly repellant! I realized that I hated the smell of it just from sniffing it in the bottle, let alone on my skin, and I found it cloying, artificial and cheap smelling, even though it wasn't cheap at all.

I seem to have the kind of skin and chemistry that never 'turns' perfumes so if they smell repellant to me that tends to be because of the combination of notes, etc, and a perfume that I don't like will often not 'click' with me right from the outset and just from sniffing it in the bottle. Of course, some perfumes do evolve on the skin, sometimes in a positive way and sometimes in a negative way, but on me when that becomes negative it tends to be because of one or more notes that come to the fore that I find unpleasant in some way, not because the perfume mixes badly with my chemistry.

So, people can find perfumes repellant without even applying them to their skin and a a combination of body chemistry / perfume is NOT the only reason for anyone to find a perfume unpleasant.

Anyway, for me Loulou is a MAJOR stinker and, to me, it does smell very cheap (and the bottle looks incredibly cheap too!). This, along with Opium, would be my idea of perfume hell ! If these were the last two perfumes in the world I'd never wear perfume again - that would be a good way to cure my perfume addiction ! !

Mila Pulina
Mila Pulina

LouLou will always be something special to me because it was my first fragrance - back then in my teenage years ;)

samer007
samer007

Love the whole idea & concept behind this fragrance. Loulou is dark, broody yet very sensual, almost in your face!... a crazy over the top blend of exotic tahitian flowers, tuberose, incense and sweet vanilla. It's so heady, its one of the very few perfumes that applied a bit generously, gives me a headache!! and thats coming from someone who happily handles the strongest oud perfumes, poison by Dior, and many heady powerhouses! Loulou therefore needs to be handled with care or else its sweet mysterious incensy-vanilla-tuberose mix gets deadly:)
4+ stars.

Loulou is dark, broody yet soft and feminine... BUT it's one of the very few perfumes that applied a bit generously, gives me a strong headache!! and thats coming from someone who happily handles the strongest oud perfumes, poison by Dior, and many heady powerhouses! Loulou therefore needs to be handled with care or else its sweet mysterious incensy-vanilla-tuberose mix gets deadly:)

babskrimpen

Lovely, but even to me as a noob it seems a little simple in composition. More a casual office than a seduce my man perfume. Which I also like to have so that's fine :)

hollycat
hollycat

I see the color purple when I smell this perfume on me. Asociating colors to perfume rarely happens to me but thats the color that I see when I wear this. I just used the last bit of juice left from my sample I purchased 3yrs ago!

Lou Lou is potent perfume that is bold, intoxicating, and if worn properly very sexy. What I get when wearing this is the plum most prominently. Then spices, cinnamin, incense, and tuberose. I know a lot of people say that nothing can compare or smell similar to Dior's Poison. Well, IMO this does. And in fact I prefer this to Poison because it has more heft and staying power. On my skin the new Poison reformulation goes on strong and makes a quick exit. Lou Lou hangs on and on. So more bang for your buck.

I dont really think this scent smells dated to the eighties. Maybe because I never smelled this growing up on anyone. To me this perfume is perfect for winter. Very cozy. But it is a statement maker so be prepared to stand out if you dare to wear.

Milladane
Milladane

If this perfume were a person, she would be a sweet but flirty, good, but not quite so innocent girly girl. It is very powdery and sweet, both my favorites. I smell predominately creamy tiare flower with leather or incense. It does remind me of artificial things, like plastic, eraser, and an element from that pink bubblegum (kind of hard and wrapped in blue/red/yellow wax paper twisted on both sides) It really is an unusual and weird perfume, and it makes you sniff and sniff to clue in on why it's so odd.

Yes, I could see this being a creation of the 80s. And I could see that it should not be over-applied...it would bring about nausea even for those who love this, like me. And I also do not blame anyone who loathe this...this really is a polarizing scent because it is on one extreme end. Oh, this may not make sense, but if this were on a pH scale, I would imagine it all the way at the basic end. I think it's my way of saying there is not a trace of sour, citrus, or acidic note in this.

The person who said it smells like a plastic baby doll is spot on! That comment made me bust out laughing because it's so true. And it does not just smell like any plastic or any doll, but certain plastic/vinyl baby dolls. Well, obviously, this perfume smells sweeter and more perfume-like, but there are overlaps.

Pity, I am a latecomer. Funny, in all my years of perfume addiction, I've never came across Lou Lou until now! And the late 80s was a time when I was a wild teen partying every weekend, always with perfume in my purse. I finally got one because the colors of the bottle caught my eye, so I came and read the reviews here, and then sought it out. My mini EDP is likely from the 90s and I would love to get a full size bottle of this. I don't know if reformulation is an issue here and how to tell a vintage from a current one?

Longevity is beyond amazing. I'd say 24 hours plus. I would not love it so much if it wasn't so. A good perfume not only has to smell good, it has to stay with you through your day or your night, or preferably, both. I have not tried, but this might also be a good scent base to layer under more fleeting scents.

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

Sadly cacheral and I do not get along. I dont know what it is. I have tried this, eden, liberte and scarlett and did not like any of them. I like anais anais but it is too flowery. such a shame, because I'm sure I am missing something wonderful.

curvealert
curvealert

Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl...trying this made me a bit sad. This scent used to be a heady masterpiece, and now it's a synthetic, reformulated shadow of its former self.

Lintu
Lintu

This has been my mother's signature perfume since I can remember... I call it "mommy perfume". I just love it and it brings me back to my childhood memories.

nellyrlight
nellyrlight

people who do not understand Lou Lou..Please just do not use it:-) without throwing mud on this incredible perfume..If you criticize it, then you really have poor knowledge about perfumes..It is the last perfume in the world to call cheap..I studied Holistic Aromatherapy and I have a really large collection as it is my passion. I bought this over and over and over again for many years..Always loved it..If you really hate it, probably your body's own oils (which always blends into what we wear as a perfume and creates a unique scent--that's why same perfume smells different on each person) when mixed with Lou Lou's, do not agree with each other:-) That's why you didn't like it..Otherwise Lou Lou only deserves the best compliments!

beatrix75
beatrix75

OH how stragen its!!Fron long time i have a conection with loulou but I never bought it why i dont know anyway i ordered now i i have in my hand and i am so much happy becoze its exactly ME its ME this parfum its become my signature frag and i will stay with allways magical exotisk sexy dark sweet strong balmy calm ,powery everithing what i want and the longevity OMG 24 hours even after shower to i feel my litle loulou!!!!

tanpa nama
tanpa nama

I got a sample bottle of this perfume. When i first opened the bottle cap, it smells like a mosquito repellent lotion. But when i applied it on my skin, WOW, i LOVE it! Very long lasting and still smells good on the day time

nazza28
nazza28

I don't know what it is about this perfume but it smells like bubblegum on me, I love it, so unusual and sweet (I am using a vintage pure perfume roller-ball)

nadia11
nadia11

I think id like to buy this one again for my collection, I used to wear it years ago so im not sure how it will react on my skin these days but i remember it being a unique oriental that was like no other.

I really adore the bottle too and must buy a little 4/5ml for my miniature collection. Just gorgeous!!

efmac
efmac

This is just amazing, plain and simple, if you love oriental type fragrances, give this a try....it is beautiful.
Also....definitely no old lady scent!!!!!

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I was given a tester by a fellow fragratician. I'm in love. I will have this in my arsenal permanently!!!!

Happy Perfuming! ♥

Edit: This perfume is a wonderful example French perfume. It is user friendly so it might be a great starter for someone wanting to delve into the BEAUTIFUL world of the French heavy hitters!

BelBrasil
BelBrasil

I knew Lou Lou when I was a teenager at high school. I tried it but hated it!! I thought it was too strong and sweet. I really didn´t like it that time. But about 15 year later, I did a research about Lou Lou and I don´t remember another perfume that gained too much compliments like it. I went to store and tried it on my skin and... wow!!! What a delicious and unique gragrance!!! It´s gorgeous!! It´s diferent of everything. A masterpiece indeed. It´s so feminine. Don´t smell it from the bottle. You should try it on your skin. It gets very diferent and amanzing!! One of my favs.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

In colder weather I crave this sly plastic New Wave genius almost daily. Sharpie huffing opening with heady cosmetics melange ... Then up peeks a white floral middle edging on melancholy ... then the base to end all bases of shameless big vanilla and cheap but cheerful incense unfolds like an origami universe of strange comforts and plush oddity. Loulou is the freedom and comfort in being offbeat; as in "yeah, I don't need your normal, your expensive, your respectable, I've got (in the words of RuPaul) Charisma Uniqueness Nerve and Talent!" Loulou gets called out as the extroverted party goodtime gal super flirt a lot, but I wear Loulou as a comfort scent when alone or when I want to make a don't mess with me kind of gleefully tacky statement in less than interesting public places. The vintage is more floral while the current formula is more incensey. Plasticky, shamelessly modernist Loulou gets better with every wear. As a kid, all of my babysitters wore this and had the then-it-seemed toylike bottles on their vanity tables; I desperately wanted what was in those forbidden fruit bottles, and who knew the Barbie plastic held something so worthy of all that childish longing? Maybe the best teen-saturated perfume ever, and I fully plan to wear this one forever. Iconic, emotive, and entirely accessible and unpretentious.

piapedersen
piapedersen

This is sweet, heavy and powdery. Actually I think it's Cacharel's masterpiece

EmyPlante
EmyPlante

Blind bought a 30ml of this at a ridiculously low price as I was intrigued by this fragrance's reviews.

It starts off incredibly powdery. Extremely powdery, with a hint of sweetness and spice. It dries down to a powdery shampoo-like type of smell. It's also VERY strong, one spray goes a long way!

I'm not much of a connaisseur in powdery perfumes, but in my opinion, this could be a cheaper alternative to Chanel's no5. It smells pretty similar in my opinion.

PhaedraRose
PhaedraRose

This has to be one of the best perfumes ever made. I wore it when it first came out and it was my signature scent for several years, I still have 2 half full splash bottles from the 80's and I tried it again last week after not wearing it for decades,and I still love it! It is so intense and long lasting,you only need a few drops and can still smell it on you the next morning. It is a true oriental floral,and practically each and every note can be detected,anise,tuberose, liles,iris,violets,sweet mimosa..it mellows as you wear it but it is so unique and exotic and remains intense even hours after applying. It has brought back so much nostalgia I am going to start wearing it again as it is still widely available and not expensive at all,considering the quality and longevity. A true gem!

Lumiere

Today I had opportunity to test 2 legendary cacharel perfumes-LouLou and Eden. Eden was on my right wrist. And, Oh God, how strong and naughty he is. He is a houligant, lol! Strong spicy notes surrounded me in a cloud, somehow raising from my wrist. It settled into a creamy beauty later on. It is a scent that I would wear to a family or friend's dinner, anticipating long night day/night ahead-Eden will make sure that fresh air, otherr people scents, smells of food, dress fabrics will not wash it away. it will be there when I come home. That's how I want it! Beware though-small sprey goes a long way even for my taste.

LouLou, though sharing that same base, is 100 per cent a girl. She is discreet, close to skin and her layers are softer. First spray on my left wrist-it is almost another era. I can not even distinguish the notes or my impression. Leather...sweet...vanilla..creamy...flowers-what flowers? Must be those that were growing in 80s:))) Once it is settled, you can safely go to office, friends" get together or to bed...with ssomeone you choose. It is like second skin smell, so truly blended it is.

Sometimes I regret that I can not live all these lives...my own life is too short to live as LouLou woman...Eden woman...and hundred of other dignified ones...

mpero
mpero

My first parfume was the Lou Lou. While my sister chose a Jil Sander, i wanted this because the drama of Lou Lou - pandora's box - was one of my favorite. As i remember i liked the parfume, but my boyfriend hated, at last, after an argument i threw out into a garden, and never had from that day. maybe i give a try again one day, as i am still looking for a winter parfume.

LouLou has never been a favourite of mine. I tried it yesterday and couldn't stopp sniffing my wrist. Its wonderful, soft, warm, elegant and with a great punch of nice vanilla and soft incense. LouLou has been around for a while and I have never liked it - now I do. Parfume's are fun and my nose is even more fun, how like/dislike changes in time. Very longlasting, 12 hour+ .

Last 2 years I have noticed that I adore plum, dark deep rose, cinnamon, amber, benzoin, tonka and woodsy - notes often used in oriental parfums. Earlier I was more into "clean" flowernotes with just a hint of musk, earlier I also liked aldehydes alot (as a teenager, odd I ḱnow) and now I adore deep, warm sensual basenotes. So I travelled from Chypre as a teenager to Oriental as a middleaged woman - what's next to discover ??

I have Van Cleef by Van Cleef & Arples - in basenote Van Cleef and LouLou are a bit alike, someone wrote here - they are not - in basenote they both have this rich, warm and sensual Vanilla - Both are gorgeous in two different ways. LouLou is vanilla/smokey sweet. Van Cleef is Vanilla/Tonka-balmy sweet and a bit more mature.

LouLou har aldrig varit nån favorit. Jag provade den igår och kunde inte sluta sniffa på min handled. Helt underbar. Mjuk, varm, elegant och med en rejäl dos härlig vanilj och mjuk rökelse. LouLou har ju funnits på marknaden länge och jag har aldrig gillat den- nu gör jag det. parfymer är kul och min näsa nästan roligare när det gäller det här med att tycka om/ inte tycka om dofter - det ändras med tiden märker jag. Väldigt hållbar på min hud, över 12 timmar.

Under de sista 2 åren har jag märkt att jag älskar Plommon, Mörka djupa rostoner, kanel, amber, benzoin, tonka och träiga doftnoter som ofta förekommer i Oriental-inspirerade parfymer. Tidigare älskade jag "rena" blomnoter med bara en aning musk, tidigare i mitt liv så älskade jag oxå aldehyder jättemycket (som tonåring- ovanligt, jag vet) och nu älskar jag djupa, varma och sensuella basnoter. Så jag har ändrat mitt tycke från Chypredofter som tonåring till Orientaldofter som medelålders - vad blir det näst att upptäcka?

Jag har Van Cleef från Van Cleef & Arples och någon skriver att de är lika. Mja - De delar den rika Vaniljtonen. De öppnar helt olika i toppnoten/mellannoten men basen med den rika, varma sensuella vaniljen är underbar. Där LouLou är Vanilj/rökelse-söt och Van Cleef är Vanilj/Tonka-mjuk/varm. Olika men ändå värda att sätta i sammanhang här.

MMC
MMC

Loulou...maravilhoso!Concordo com quem diz que ele precisa de um tempo para se estabelecer,mas quando isso acontece é uma sensação de carinho.Doce e marcante.No Brasil ele continua sendo um perfume campeão de vendas.

Mariamaija Amélie

What a flirtatious! and unique perfume. It actually needed a couple of hours to settle down nicely on my skin, and now I just feel caressed and embraced by it's outstanding personality. I am not good at sorting out the different smells...yet, but I know this: there is nothing close to the smell of LouLou, in my opinion. To me it represents sensuality, playfulness and passion. Am so glad I bought it. Thank you for all your inspiring reviews; the positive AND negative both

rosembloom

To me, this is the 'sensual' rendition of a dreamy honey moon; as in a romantic escape to a gorgeous island where passion blooms beteen two souls. It is all about the warm and exotic notes of rich monoï, Tiaré flower , sweet and opulent notes that float about you like a halo of summer paradise (By George, but are we not whimsical tonight?!!!! .. Again, lol. I sound like katie Putrick. :s ..). I wore this first at the age of 16. To me it was gourmand and ever so elegant. I felt like a woman when I would make my face up painstakingly (Iwas a model then...). I now have a bottle I cherish but am wanting another : nothing can replace the feeling of classy playful and warm feeling this fragrance evokes in me .

Fizzy

Loulou was reviewed from me already. I just want to add: for the another perfumes I got compliments from men, but for this one - they just want directly take me with them! Danger to be eaten by wearing this!!
I got three invitations for a date, and I am over 30.

intan_erani
intan_erani

This perfume brings back memories .. Its a sweet fragrance, delicious notes.. Very lasting.. Powdery and soft, truly a feminine scent..

BettyNoir

I wore this when it first came out when I was a carefree student and thought of myself as quite the Bohemian.

I recently re-ordered a bottle after a 15 year break and loads of memories came flooding back.

This scent no longer represents who I am as it's a much louder scent than I would normally wear. However, I cannot help but remain fond of it because of the happy memories it brings me. I used to get such a thrill from buying a bottle in its beautiful box and getting the cellophane off for a first spray.

The strongest note I get is anise or licorice, which may be the note that disagrees with people. It's a complex scent that keeps changing. One minute it's licorice, the next it's dark flowers, then it's blackcurrants and musk... always changing. Totally worth it though, in the way that a difficult moody friend is worth hanging onto for those witty and irreplaceable moments you have together.

wendyyparty
wendyyparty

@Vie Cafe: I know the frag's lovely, it's just because of that note, it's so prominent...

What a shame, I really want to love LouLou. A lot of notes I like and somehow it smell like fresh-wood in middle phase.

***sob

------

Edit Oct 22: Now I know, they are tuberose and lillies...never love any frag with these notes dominent in them.

kitten_steele
kitten_steele

I have to comment on the longevity of Lou Lou. It's insane! 2 days ago, I wore Lou Lou and I sprayed liberally on my body, to get to know Lou Lou properly. I'll just comment alittle about the smell. Flowers mixed with playdoh, vanilla and cinnamon. There's alot more into it of course. It's a complex and beautiful scent. The playdoh that I can smell is perfectly balanced with the other notes, so it makes Lou Lou unique, interesting and exciting. I don't know which notes it is that makes it smell like playdoh, but it all smells beautiful together. A bit odd, but truly beautiful.

So anyway, the longevity(with alittle twist):
I had Lou Lou on and I could smell it strong the whole day and evening. My boyfriend said he could smell it at an arms length, but not further. The day went by and the next day comes along. When I woke up the next day, Lou Lou welcomed me in a beautiful cloud. Wow! I didn't put on any perfume that day 'cause I could still smell Lou Lou. Later in the evening I thought Lou Lou had faded and I felt an urge to try Obsession by Calvin Klein, since it's chilly outside and I feel it's a winter/autumn-scent. I only sprayed my arms, where I had sprayed Lou Lou before. The scent I got after that, wasn't Obsession alone. When I've had Obsession, I get all spices, incense and woody notes. The scent I smelled now wasn't like that. It was creamy, vanilla and amber. I don't get vanilla from Obsession otherwise. So I can just imagine this yummy vanilla, amber, creamy, alittle playdoh and flowers, was all a mix between Lou Lou and Obsession. Is that for real, Lou Lou and Obsession, a match made in heaven? I gotta try that again to see if my nose was right or wrong. It was so yummy that I couldn't concentrate on my studies.

Next day, 2 days after applying Lou Lou, after I had taken a shower, while my skin was still wet, I smelled Lou Lou. Obsession was completely gone, no trace of it, but Lou Lou was still there, after 48 hours with showers in between. After having toweldried my skin, the last of Lou Lou was gone. Or maybe not. I'll just have to see tomorrow.

But that is amazing! Lou Lou lasting 48 hours with showers in between! That's the longest lasting perfume I've experienced in my life so far. If you wear Lou Lou, just spray it one day and then you won't have to reapply until 2 days later.

theprophetblog
theprophetblog

My mother wore this since I was a child (I'm 25 now), and funnily enough, it came out the year I was born. Judging by these comments, there are a lot of twenty-and-thirty-somethings like myself saying that they remember their mothers wearing Lou Lou.

My mum was pretty wild when she was younger, and she was very attractive. She dressed very casually from day to day in casual dresses or jeans and tank top, but whenever she had to go out to a party or a dinner or somewhere nice, she would always dress up and her taste was great -- both sexy but also classy. And of course she would wear Lou Lou for these occasions and she always smelled great. It's very beautiful and striking fragrance for a bold women who wants to be noticed and make heads turn!

Mariamaija Amélie

I simply HAVE TO give LouLou another try after reading all these reviews. I don't care about the negative ones; I just feel the urge to "put it on" and see if it fits! :o)

...and now, finally, I have ordered myself a bottle of Lou Lou. I am such a perfume addict! There, now I've said it out loud :D Can't wait!

Beeb26
Beeb26

Oooh Loulou, You are still as lovely as you were twenty years ago. When I took you from my mothers dressingtable and tried to take a secret spray before going to one of my first teen-parties (boys, girls, slow dancing). First thing my mother and sister screamed when I came downstairs: 'you are wearing Loulou! Who are you wearing that for? And what were you doing in my room?!' You can't hide or secretly wear Loulou, that's for sure! But I love it, it is all I want my perfumes to be: heavy, sweet, warm and longlasting!

Why is isn't the Tiare-note listed? It's really there!

hmm...,

I have serious doubts anyone will believe me, but once I've been to a remarkable club, where a celebrated musician was invited.

I was wearing LouLou and needless to say, (and here comes the twist!) after getting close enough, I was given a warm welcome into the VIP room by this notable DJ. Huh, LouLou made me the deal, I guess!!

So, WARNING!! This stuff is a troublemaker.
Stay away from it, unless you're up to no good.
But if you are, well... add some LouLou and consider your chances granted ;)

Sabrina_A
Sabrina_A

I just ADDDDOOOOREEE this scent. It's so unique and "musky" and "cozy" and also very romantic. This perfume has it all, I will always keep it safe haha.

It reminds me of my mother and the 90's .. Ahhhh what a beautiful period in my life.

This scent is a CLASSIC, a "must-have".
A masterpiece, that's what it is, indeed.

Marie76
Marie76

I never fell out of love with it, but I just never repurchased...then I got my hands on another bottle...how did I let this go? I love this perfume. It's bizarre, in that it has a cloying start, but a very elegant finish, and that despite all those "floral" notes, there's something like candy to it, I suppose it's the benzoin...It's hard, very hard for me to differentiate the notes, I also get patchouli, that I gather this doesn't have...It's a very sexy, but at the same time quite a childish smell. It's almost as a little girl or young teenager would imagine a woman to smell. When I started liking boys, I started liking this. So it IS womanly, but in a very idealised way, romantic way. Lou Lou also marked the way I layer perfume; I'd spray something floral and lighter in arms, wrists, chest, but in the neck and behind my ears, always at night, a tiny drop of Lou Lou.

mystica
mystica

All Cacharel perfumes are distinct, based around a certain, smoky, quite detectable note. Lou Lou is not an exception (indeed it's the most classic expression of it) and it's a very nice fragrance. However I simply couldn't wear it much. That Cacharel's "signature" gives me a headache, indeed I can't wear any Cacharel because of this.
Edit: I should exclude Anais Anais which is an awesome white floral bouquet.

Nmsekhmet
Nmsekhmet

positively delicious!!!

BettyNoir

I wore this all the time when it came out. It's a strong and distinctive floriental. I don't know if it would suit me now, I am not that carefree glamorous spirit any more!

Do not spray just before getting on a morning commuter train. it will fill the carriage. Spray it on around half an hour before leaving for an evening out.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

For a less powder - sweet experience, I'd recommend L'Origan! And conversely, if L'origan is just too harsh on your skin, you might find it's sweetly powdered sister here. I can hardly believe that one was created in the 80's and the other at the turn of the century..... My sister wears this and I wear L'Origan; we might as well be wearing the same perfume in differing concentrations. LouLou is stronger and lasts longer, but neither one is a boring " o-d l-dy " scent. These twins may not be identical, but they're equally youthful and irresistible!

frosting712
frosting712

Simply, this perfume is my 60+ year old mother in a bottle. It just smells like mom to me. It works for her and is comfortable because of the connection. Personally, I wouldn't wear it.

nopasho
nopasho

WARNING: LONG DETAILED REVIEW AHEAD! SKIP IF IN A HURRY!!

Is it loud? Yeah! Is it complex? Yess! Is it wild and wonderful? You bet! Is it a timeless perfume masterpiece? No doubt about it! Is it slandered by the 'virgin perfume police' as a 'granny stinker'? Yes. Is the bottle as ugly as the fragrance is breathtakingly gorgeous? Absolutely. So it must be a truly great fragrance then? YES! Ladies and Gents: here's the one and only......'LouLou'!!

Love, lust, desire, passion, pleasure, an unquenchable thirst for more, more, more... I'll never get enough of you, my ‘LouLou’. You are a hypnotic, dangerously addictive witches brew. ‘Witches’ as ‘femme fatales’, ‘love goddesses’, ‘sensual magick-sters’.

‘LouLou’ is olfactory Love Potion Nr 1. Wear it and people on the street will swoon when you pass them. Or better yet, stand next to them and let them inhale your heavenly scent. Little things that make life worthwhile. And even better: stand close to someone in a club, brasserie, go to the supermaket wearing LouLou… No need for a ‘singles night’ in the supermarket, then. Why all this fuzz? Simple. A woman with ‘LouLou’ on her skin oozes smoldering erotic vibes. It makes us, men, ‘silly putty’ in your soft hands. Just by smelling your ‘LouLou’. We’ll do anything for you. Take this from me as a man. ‘LouLou’ is a love ‘deal maker’, a love-maker. And one hell of a great fragrance.

I met ‘LouLou’ for the first time in the nineties when I was much younger, a prepubescent boy with waking and waiting-to-rage hormones, dreaming about ‘Mrs Robinson’ and younger females. Dreams fuelled when a woman passing by in the streets smelled ‘LouLou’, a very popular powerhouse of a fragrance then. And even back then, when I was more interested in football than in fragrances, it left an unerasable impression: the femme mystique and mythique, the female secrets that would one day be revealed to me. The budding attraction to females and mystery of ‘gurls’ and the unknown world of the other, giggling sex. The Smell of Female with the promise hanging there in the air that one day I would be able to love a woman who smelled like this. Wow! Fuel for wet and dry dreams. Thank you 'LouLou’. Like The Who sang about ‘Pictures of Lily’, I smelled a tester of ‘LouLou’ and dreamed away. Call me obsessed, call me crazy, but ‘LouLou’, and the inherent promises it held for later when I would meet women wearing 'LouLou', made my puberty tolerable. Thank you for letting me dream way. And intolerable. Please God let me grow up fast that I can smell 'LouLou for real: on a woman's skin.

When I heard that the name ‘LouLou’ was inspired by the silent film actress and icon Louise Brooks from ‘Pandora’s Box’-fame, one of my ‘heroines’, ‘LouLou' became even more desirable for me. ‘LouLou’ certainly helped my nascent hormones wake up. Now 20 years later I just received a recent ‘blue beauty bottle’. Wow! Like meeting the most beautiful girl in high school 20 years later and finding out she has blossomed fully init an even more beautiful, attractive, desirable, sexy and sensual as hell woman. And yes, she's single! You know, sometimes you fall in love but you are too young, you break up and years later you meet the same woman again. And then you fall for her harder than the first time. And where the first time it was only a racy mix of lust, hormones and the first sensual powerful encounter with a great fragrance, the second time (I’m now 33 and know a bit more about fragrances, and only a tiny little bit more about women but that’s OK) ‘LouLou’ for me is an all consuming firebrand of a fragrance full of deep passion coupled with an undying love for this wild but classy beauty of a perfume.

If I have to describe this gem in two words: ‘Irresistibly Sultry’. Certainly not sweet, and most certainly not sickly sweet. Try ‘Fantasy’ and ‘Fancy’ for that, not Cacharel’s LouLou. ‘Sex in a bottle’ also is an easy expression used too much for the wrong reasons. Men don’t get aroused by vanilla and by fruit only, IMHO. Insects are. Men merely get hungry smelling vanilla and fruit. For food. Not for you. They don’t get aroused by the ‘clean’ smell of soap and washing detergent à la ‘White Linen’. When they smell it, they want you to wash their clothes. They don’t get aroused by citrus. Then they think ‘sour puss’. Nor by flowers. Then they think ‘marriage’. Nor by ‘aquatics'. Then they think ‘working out’. In the gym. BUT… they get aroused and seduced and beaten into willing snesnaul slavery and otudo themselves as male sexual athletes and romantic Casanovas. Fuled, hypnotized by that wild, classy powder keg of a fragrance, by ‘LouLou’. A ‘dirty’, powdery scent’ like in ‘sex is dirty’. Skanky, but it makes the 'man juices' and blood flow and race. Who wants ‘clean sex’ anyway? So: never had a man kiss your feet? Try wearing ‘LouLou’.

Sure, the ‘virgin police’ of the celeb scent division will and have slandered this an 'old lady frag'.I read somwhere 'granny-stinker'. Created in 1987! How Old! ‘Smells like old lady’ is always a big plus in my book. And 'granny-stinker' must be a perfume masterpiece, No doubt about it. So 'virgin police' keep the granny-insults coming. They are almost always classic perfume masterpieces. A spritz of ‘LouLou’ by the way makes Viagra unnecessary for many 'mature men'. So in that way it is also an ‘old lady frag for old men’. This is such a sensual fragrance that there should be a ‘Parental Advisory’ sticker on the bottle. This is a 'Sex Bomb, Baby, Yeah!’ I mean, ‘LouLou’ is a ‘love game’-changer. A dating service in a bottle.

Anyway this is an old school powerhouse of e a frag. Colors: think deep red and velvety deep purple, food: think chocolates and high quality champagne... Lingerie: think La Perla, Aubade, Marie Jo, Chantal Thomass. LouLou is French sensualité raffinée in a bottle. No vanilla or kiwi to seduce, but ingredients like tuberose, cinnamon, powdery iris, orange blossom, incense... This is another one of 'under the radar' classics, like 'Habanita' by Molinard. 'Lou Lou' has the same ‘smoky, smoldering femme fatale’ feel minus the leather. It is in the same vain as 'Coco', 'Le Baiser du Dragon'...

Female mystique, female attraction female power. That is LouLou for us, lucky men, who have the privilige to enjoy it on the skin of a sensual, full blooded woman. Created in 1987 for Cacharel by famous nose Jean Guichard ('Obesssion' by Calvin Klein (!!!), 'Eden', Montana's 'Parfum de Peau' (!!!),Fragonard’s: 'Soleil', 'Donna Trussardi' for women… ) All opulent, sensual, rich, personality, stylish and elegant and classy fragrances. Together with 'Obsession', 'LouLou' is his moment of sheer perfumery genius.

But what's the secret of strong, love-it-or-hate-it perfumery masterpiece granny stinker 'LouLou'? Let's look at the fragrance pyramid and inner workings in theree to discover what makes Cacharel’s 'Lou Lou' thick?

Top: Violet, Mimose, Iris, Plum, Cinnamon, Cassia, Lily, Jasmine, Anise,
Middle: Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang, Orange blossom, Heliotrope, Orris Root (root of Lily)
Base: Incense, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Musk

What a gorgeous collection of 19 different fragrance notes! But as we've seen with 'Bleu' by Chanel, a gorgeous collection of stand alone notes is one thing, you have to be able and willing and capable to mix these notes in the right proportion and relationship to each other in the pyramid to make a masterpiece fragrance. Guichard really did an ace job here. And with not so so easy and fickle notes like Incense, Anise, Cinnamon, ... with fragrance dominatrixes like Tuberose and Ylang Ylang... With Dry powdery notes like Tonka bean, Iris and Orris root. But that’s the difference between the anonymous factory fragrances for Coty, the run of the mill celeb fruity florals of which Lady Gaga’s is the latest example and predicatble big fragarnce deception, and a timeless fragrance masterpiece like this. Months and months of searching, weighting... till you have that right magical harmonious and happy, rounded relationship between the notes. Katy Perry couldn't care less that her bamboo note grates with all other notes in ‘Purr’, Britney laughs all the way to the bank with her totally out of place 'kiwi' note in ‘Fantasy’... Here everything is necessary and nothing is too much. This may be old school, but these are the valuable, wonderful fragrances that will stand the test of time. LouLou was never 'this years fragarnce', 'LouLou' is and will always be timeless greatness.

Let’s start with the base that can make or break a fragrance. The better and stronger the base, mostly the better fragrance. And this is another proof of this fragrance axiom. Look at that base! Power to the base! We get the mean machine of the power trio musk, sandalwood, vanilla. Most celeb frags stop here or even drop the sandalwood because it is too expensive . Guichard ups the ante with two great additions: incense and benzoin. The incense makes intense love with the vanilla-sandalwood duo and makes sure the musk is there but isn’t overpowering. And of course the incense gives a smoky, earthy aspect that deepens the rest of the base and anchors it firmly. And the cincher: the benzoin, who acts like a turbo for the rest of the base-notes. Accentuates them, makes them more distinct and turns the base up another notch. So this is a base you can build a classic on, anchors the middle and top notes and gives longevity, which is great with LouLou, and sillage, which is big with a very long dry down of this great incense-vanilla-sandalwood-musk combo, thanks to the ‘steroid effect’ of the benzoin. And of course it is the grounding the base firmly to built the rest of the ‘LouLou’ on.

Building on the base of course is middle and ending with the top. Where most classics have a stronger middle than the top, here Guichard works his magic and originality by constructing a very ‘meaty’ middle with only five notes and a intricate top with nine notes that are individually less dominant than the middle notes. So you get this interesting interaction between the ‘more but less strong delicate notes’ top and the ‘less but stronger notes’ middle. ‘More is more’ versus ‘Less is more’. Which gives a totally own dynamic to ‘LouLou’ which results in a long evolution on the skin with many intra-level contrasts and collaboration between one, two or more notes in the top, in the middle and between top and middle.

First the ‘less is more’ middle. Of course, that’s relative. Contemporary celeb scents have a middle of two, three notes max. Here we have five and I call it ‘less is more’! So another answer to why ‘the classics’ are technically and from a perfume craftsmanship-viewpoint superior to cheap celeb scents. Here Guichard plays a trump card: two Flower-Diva’s make a big appearance. The mighty Tuberose, present with her equally strong and meaty friend Ylang Ylang. This diva-duo is present in many timeless classics from ‘Carnal Flower’ to ‘Amarige’ to ‘Boucheron’ to ‘Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle’ to Versace’s ‘Blonde’ to Chanel’s mythical ‘Nr 22’ . The Orris Root turns the heat further up, after the divas’s Tuberose and Ylang Ylang take center stage. This is the root of the lily flower and has a strong vanillic-powerdy smell. The equally mighty Heliotrope further makes an awesome quartet. And by adding the fresh but oh so pleasant Orange Blossom, Guichard prevents that it is linear ‘Flower OD’. The Orange Blossom gives that warrior quartet a fresh zest. The middle is formidably mighty flowery. So the task of the top is to intervene to prevent this from being to linear floral. Smooth things out, round things all the while adding other aspects and more deepness. And yes, together with the strong base the top creates delicious sparks likes two firestones rubbing each other. These sparks light an fragrance fire that makes ‘LouLou’ breathtakingly beautiful, unique and memorable.

What a terrific top! Mostly I rave about the base, but here the top is clearly the star by the interaction with middle and base. What a collection of notes. Guichard truly outdid himself here. We have a First Brigade of delicate flowers, not the heavy flower artillery of the middle. Violet, Iris; Lily (powdery), then Mimose and Jasmine (indolic /peppery/effervescent and sweet at the same time). The Second Brigade consists of two ‘meaty’ fruit notes: cassia and plum. They give a cozy, comfy, not too sweet addition to the flowers, full it up and round it, harmonize things. And then there is the Third Brigade whose job it is to counteract the possibly too dominant flowers (think about the Flower Army in the Middle) and fruit. And here is the stroke of genius that each classic has. Guichard sends in the mighty Anise and Cinnamon. The licorice-y Anise and earthy Cinnamon. Annick Menardo worked in the same vein with her Lolita Lempicka from 1997, but she amped up the anise with licorice and deleted the cinnamon. But with ‘LouLou’ the sweet-spicy Anise and earthy, dry Cinnamon of the Third Top Brigade form a perfect marriage with the First Top Brigade of the delicate flowers and the Second Top Brigade of the meaty’ fruits’. And then while all these interactions are going on, this top level interacts at the same time with the strong middle and the equally strong base.

The result of all these fireworks between the 19 notes is truly perfume magic. And a ‘classic under the radar’. LouLou is less flowery than ‘Amarige’ and less spicy than ‘Coco’ but for me lies perfectly between the two. And is equally great. ‘Loulou’ or ‘Loulotte’ is French slang for boyfriend/girlfriend. Well let’s be honest, for ‘lovers, maitresses, f*ck buddies’, intimate friends…’ The name is apt because this fragrance oozes sex and sensual energy. So if you want more action in your bedroom, if you want to seduce your ‘loulou’ or ‘loulotte’ or simply if you want to smell divine like a Sex God or Sex Goddess, forget ‘filling her with alcohol’ like guys say, skip treating her to a meal in an expensive, stiff restaurant, forget telling her how rich you are, what car you have (leased), ladies let your push up bra and hair extensions in the closet, dump the botox, even tell him that you have a kid or two… But wear your ‘LouLou’, then nothing else matters in the attraction-deparment. For ladies and gents because 'LouLou' is totally unisex IMHO. Give your loulou or loulotte a bottle of ‘LouLou’ instead of the obligatory chocolates or flowers or tie. Or better yet, buy a bottle and wear 'LouLou' yourself. Your lover will keep your 'LouLou' stash filled from then on.

‘LouLou’ will take care of you, will hooke you up, will be a better job than most dfating services, is a scent for lovers to be, actual lovers and lovers who lost love but want to find it again. Or wear it just for your own pelasure. Because 'LouLou' is one of the greatest fragrances ever created. Not by God, but by Jean Guichard. Merçi Jean! A lot of kiddies have been made with the help of your magical 'LouLou', a lot of romances have bloomed, a lot of people have just sighted: 'Aaaahhh… Perfume paradise and magic…' Heaven is 'LouLou' in a bottle. Simple as that.

Amarilis60
Amarilis60

older version of Lou Lou is a real masterpiece!

cocorosie
cocorosie

This reminds me of my mum going out in the evening when I was little. She'd give me a hug, tell me to be good for the babysitter and wooosh, I'd be surrounded by a scent that I now know is LouLou by Cacherel.

It's so unique and complex, I can't even try to describe it's individual notes. The overall impression is warm, glamourous, romantic and confident. Yes, it's a little retro, but I wouldn't say it's old ladyish at all, just a one of a kind the likes of which you don't tend to smell much these days. I love it.

JasmineLilac
JasmineLilac

I really don't like Lou Lou. Yeah, it's very 80s in terms of its boldness, but it goes beyond bold. It's sicky-sweet to the point of candy-ish and smells artificial and cheap.

Opium was an 80s-typical fragrance, and it was strong (too strong for my taste), but at least it didn't have that cheap, artificial-candy smell about it.

mzfiguer
mzfiguer

My aunt used to have this one! I don't think the bottle is so ugly! However, reading the reviews I wonder if it could have matched her shy personality. I just remember that she loved it and had it on top of her dresser. Her nickname is Lulu, so she may have felt it identified her. I'm trying to make memories of the scents of my mother and aunts in the eighties and nineties, but what I can think about is this little girl in a fragrant cloud perusing and playing with her auntie's stuff.

Platinum_girly
Platinum_girly

Okay my mother gifted me this today and i really dislike it. To me it smells so old and 80s. Plus it is too strong for my tastes, it has a real incense smell to it that doesn't agree with me, especially considering the sillage. It is for swaps if anybody wants it.

picisziv

Yes, it was so obvious that I can’t go wrong with this blind buy. I didn’t! From now on I am a proud owner of seduction sealed in glass. I tried this on right after I got it and when I arrived at home long hours later I found myself in an intense spicy cloud of LouLou in my room. Marvelous it was… One simply must experience this. Oh, and next morning I used Coco by Chanel - quite intense scent - and when I took a shower at that night, particles of LouLou surrounded me. Oh come on, what is this, my olfactory dream coming to life?

Well yes, it has been told a thousand times, but LouLou is everything the 80’s scents are about. I feel like a hypocrite saying this as I haven’t lived back then, but I have experiences with scents from that time. The top cinnamon hit me right away and just a second later came ylang-ylang which brought back childhood memories. LouLou reminds me of nothing and noone and yet for some reason I have the feeling I have known this scent – and I am certain I couldn’t smell it on anyone before.

The scent is spicy, powdery on my skin. The vanilla is the best vanilla I’ve came across – dry, soft, yet impish. Sandalwood is the crown jewel in the perfume. I was a bit scared of incense, unreasonably. Anyone who smells it, well… the last thing that will come to his mind is a church, I’m positive!

I haven’t decided so far if LouLou will be my lustful, panther-ish, come hither scent or my fragrance for melancholy moods – it suits them both wholly.

If LouLou were a song, it would be Nowhere by Parov Stelar – moody, yet sensual.

Lucialuz
Lucialuz

Symbol of the 80's. Very heavy, it smells exotic, sharply sweet, incensed vanilla, very sweet fruits and some plastic note, as a new Barbie doll.
It has some powder smell (like a make up powder), maybe it is iris, maybe ylang-ylang, I do not like these flowers.It smells like resins, like verniz also, something chemical. Jasmin is acid and artificial in this perfum, I love jasmin but not THIS jasmin.

I would say I HATE this perfum, but at the same time I feel some nostalgia when smelling it. Even hating it, I acknowledge that it is a MASTERPIECE because it is very courageous, exotic, unique, the creators took a very high risk at launching it. Very ugly bottle.
It is a pity that is being discontinued, a masterpiece, maximum symbol of the eighties.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

I am so disappointed. The other day at the perfume counter, I came across Lou Lou for the first time since it came out in 1987. I had the sales clerk give me a sample and was in a heavenly powdery oriental cloud. I just purchased three bottles of perfume, thought I had better wait until the next time I got around there to get it. Needless to say that following week I couldn't get it off my mind. So off I go, making another trip to the perfume store, (which is eighty miles away, mind you) purchase the 1oz EDP, rush outside tearing the wrapper off to spray some on...with a huge sigh of disappointment.

The bottle I got is obviously a different formula. basically watered down. I ordered a jar of the body creme online that came with an old 1.7 oz splash that smelled the way the tester in the store did. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Why do they keep messing with something that's perfect already?
Now I am going to have to search for an old bottle to get the true beauty of this exquisite perfume...
This is one of the best perfumes I have ever encountered

fawnmarie
fawnmarie

I wore this in eighth grade when all of my friends were wearing Tribe and Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson. I am currently on the hunt for a bottle. Loulou is nothing short of magnificent! From the first spritz, one is enveloped into a spicy-sweet, dreamy, heady, lovely cloud! Just as it was so different from what everyone wore in 1992, it continues to stand in direct contrast with today's most popular perfumes. Sweet, but so sultry and manipulative! If you appreciate a very feminine fragrance that will set you apart from the crowd, look no further!

Jvs3005
Jvs3005

This perfume is like these Arabian (I think) kind of houses that look so ugly from the outside but are incredible pretty on the inside.

I love this perfume. I hesitated to buy it (blind buy) because I don't really like anais anais from the same house after all, but wow I'm glad I gave Loulou a try.

The top notes are spicy but a bit weird so to speak. You really have to hold on for 5-10 minutes before the real beauty unravels. The heart to me is vintage, but modern too. I like the galbanum-benzoin-incense balmy scent I get. After a few hours, it gets even balmier and i get the vanilla so soft and good, a real pleasure to wear. Been wearing it since 9 AM, it's 4.30 PM over here now and i still get sweet, balmy wafts of vanilla/lilac/incense. To me, the best incense I have in my collection. The flowers ylang ylang and tuberose are tamed by the balmy-spicey basenotes which I totally adore. I don't feel this fragrance is screamy, but I'm a bad advisor when it comes to sillage :). I feel very sexy and confident wearing this perfume. Maybe even a bit dangerous.

I sprayed twice.
I consider this day and night perfume, depending on the amount of sprays
I give it a 9/10
I think I've found a perfume I will be wearing a LOT
The bottle is very ugly though lol.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

Blueberry scented marker, or alternatively, l'Heure Bleue on gas fumes. Quirky, potent, and interesting to say the very least.

cara2
cara2

This is really alove hate perfume. I am one of the total lovers of this. It is sweet, dark spicy and very very powdery. It lasts for forever,and you dont need a lot to get you there. One of my real faves.
Unfortunately it is really quite popular and I like wearing ones that are not so common.
But I still will with this every so often

mariasara
mariasara

I wouldn´t advise a blind buy on this one. For me it´s excessive (as most cacharel scents), too much going on, a total olfactive confusion, too loud. I´s certanly noticeable form a distance .. on top of that, it gives me headache. so try it before you buy it!

lulu7898
lulu7898

I find myself reviewing LouLou over and over. I have never smelled it but it is one of those controversial scents. I'm debating whether or not I can afford to buy this as a blind buy. I do like surprises! :)

miss mills
miss mills

I've smelt Lou Lou on countless nurses (I'm a nurse), along with J'Adore - I would really love to read a study of peoples' jobs and their choice of frags and see if there are trends there!

I had a bottle of Lou Lou which I have now swapped after a few tries- although I LOVE this on other people, on me it is instant headache. It's a heady oriental with a kickbutt introduction - you would never mistake this for anything other than Lou Lou. It's warm and cosy yet with a strong personality and hints at a wilder, debauched side.

Sophie.love
Sophie.love

Loulou is sweet floral. Most of it's sweetnes is given by tuberose , then comes vanilla . Very long lasting , on my skin 10 hours at least . In my opinion it's a vintange perfume , but modern ...Like ,like it a lot . Positive vote :)

Nirti
Nirti

I was waiting for my first bottle and I was afraid after ridding all that diffrent revievs. It was a blind buy but now I'm in heaven after first spritz. This is very beautiful gem, I smell insences, anise and mimose whitch I adore. First 5 minutes is very powerful but after it is the most beautiful fragrance, warm and sweet but not to much. I'm very happy that I buy it, i think it will be one of my favorites.

greta.ekonomi
greta.ekonomi

Lovely!

Perfumefreak
Perfumefreak

I remember this scent! Yei!
I remember LouLou from my teen years. Though i never owned it. My dear friend used it regularly.
I didn't remember LouLou was this sweet and lush. So intensive, passionate and lustful.
I couldn't decide which season it is for, i will use it when i want to feel the heat.

Anyhow, well said, French Fancy!
You have to give LouLou a try.

greydove
greydove

This one should be dabbed on the pulse points, never sprayed. Its fascinating and smells like sweet, wet clay. I find it interesting that word "Lu Lu" was supposedly the name for the first human created by the gods of Sumeria. According to legend, they fashioned the first human as a hybrid with their own DNA and mixed it with clay, so a LuLu was a hybrid or a demi-god. The word actually meant "mixed" Its also funny how Cacharel has another famous fragrance called Eden with a similar story of human origins...

iomel
iomel

very very nice,is beautiful and sweet scent.

French Fancy
French Fancy

One word for this gem DIVINE!
I have been wearing this for the last 25 years.At school and university i was nicknamed LOULOU.
Not for the faint hearted but i have never,ever had a complaint.This marvel is a man magnet,the most sensual smell you will experience, but please one spray at the nap of the neck is enough.
Give it a try,you won't regret it!

Naranxito
Naranxito

I've tried Loulou three or four times, but, unfortunately, I don't understand it. It's too spicy, and the note of smoky cinnamon lasts too long. It's like a scent from Maya's palace, where ancient Indians had some rest in the afternoon.

tosu
tosu

Smells like plastic baby dolls,and i love it!

Clefairy
Clefairy

This is far to heady for me, but one of my Mum's favourites, and so is special to me for that reason.

I'm not a fan of overpowering florals, and at this stage in my life, LouLou just reminds me of childhood car journeys, being sat within an unescapably headachey cloud of heavy florals caused by this perfume being mixed with the stuffiness of the car, but maybe it is a fragrance I will grow into.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

Cacharel has a lot of stars on its fragrance firmament, but LouLou has to be the moon. She is full, heavy and one of a kind. True; she's an acquired taste but if you give her the time she needs you'll see she's quite like no other. She might not be loved by all but I can't imagine anybody being indifferent to her. I too have loved and left her many, many times, distracted by yet another new fancy bottle, name or promises of sensuous pleasures; only to find that I miss the one perfume that addresses those elusive moods that strike me and I end up craving a bottle.
I am currently looking for a bottle (or two;) of the REAL LouLou, old loves die hard. Most modern perfumes seem bleak and one-dimensional next to troubled, blue, mysterious LouLou. That is a huge compliment, she's a classic and Cacharel should re-release her in her original formulation (AND wonderful uniquely shaped turquoise bottle!) A whole generation is missing out on a masterpiece that suits the moods you don't even know you have!

LouLou is a ponder-some mystery: Sad, yet cheery. Heavy, yet playful. Oriental, yet floral. Dark and light. Take it or leave it, she doesn't care.
I remember the oriental feel of the rich, deep vanilla incense sensation, the florals that seem to take turns from heavy to light. Tuberose and ylang-ylang and always - ALWAYS that stubborn smoky vanilla note, followed by an unusual mix of florals, spices and a dark musk and whiffs of a powdery heaven that somehow manage to play nice.

LouLou is a stubborn, bitter-sweet, sexy and impish woman that won't change and shouldn't change: She is too stubborn to leave (awesome longevity!)
Too impish not to be noticed (large radius of great 'attitude').

She is who she is and I love her for that. LouLou is a must have for those moments that just no other perfume will do. And with LouLou you can be sure - especially in this age of countless "celebrity" scents - that most people will be wondering what that unusual, delightful 'fragrance-puzzle' is that is embracing you.

missymary
missymary

I am a dyed-in-the-wool, true-blue-till-I-die, nutty fanatical worshiper of big floral scents and tuberose, but even i have to draw the line somewhere. I can't go as far as Loulou. It's raunchy, exotic, bustin' out all over, and it's everything that I like--times a zillion. On top of the big flowers there's balsamic benzoin and incense and oozy resin and dear knows what else. Burnt plastic? I'm not feisty enough and hormonal enough for Loulou. But one Loulou is worth hundreds of plastic generic weak wimpy fruity florals.

The bottle is adorable and would grace the bathroom of a Turkish seraglio.

oxm
oxm

Think this perfume is one of the greatest expressions of Cacharel, I remembered it years ago as a sweetly haunting fragrance, with the points of encounter with Anais Anais is there, but Lou Lou is more daring, almost impudent and playful. That strikes me most is a note that looks very close to black cherry syrup, when the plates are colored summer of the color of these wonderful drinks, but also the flowers are well crowded, almost did ola from a stage and the bottom royal
a superb vanilla and fragrant (it would seem the female twin of Joop homme).
I think that Lou Lou can meet the tastes of many women, shame about the unfinished top of his form, but also by firm knows just how to make your head spin.

parfumesigne
parfumesigne

Oh Lou Lou!
One of my first serious and grown up perfumes. Being a female high school student in the eighties, you would wear either Lou Lou or Red Door. I chose Lou Lou. So loud, so heavy, so intense - the air was thick of its smell (I prefer to think it was because of our young self confidence and appetite on life, and not because of "lack of style". And luckily, nobody had ever told us that "a little goes a long way")

After almost two heavy Lou Lou years, everybody started wearing L'eau d'Issey and Sunflowers. And so went the years.

Now I will buy me a new bottle of Lou Lou, put it on - loud, heavy and intense - and flash my appetite on life for everybody within a 15 meters radius!

Kiku
Kiku

"Lou Lou" was inspired by the exquisite silent film star Louise Brooks. Her namesake captures her essence perfectly. Mysterious and a bit sinister, this is an uncompromising perfume. She is what she is, take her or leave her, Lou Lou doesn't care. Although lilies are not listed in the notes I smell them. Not bright, happy lilies that bloom in the sun. These are dark, heavy lilies that hide in the night. "Lou Lou" is for the woman who wants to make an impression. Wear it only if you can handle the attention.

Jellybean
Jellybean

One of the best vintage perfumes outthere!
Smokey, mysterious, creamy, powdery, feminine perfume. Unbelievably amazing! I am beside myself of how much I love this perfume. So many ingredients I love I thought, and they all in harmony with each other. This perfume is created with precise vision and superb quality!!!!!
Silage is 5 star!

tubita
tubita

If you comment Lou Lou for ur first seconds impression i'd say , this is a very big mistake. To understand this beauty you gotta give about 40-50 min. I know the beginning is sharp or kinda bitter but when it dries down it becames one of the nicest perfume. It is very long lasting. If ur a perfume junkie , you better add this beauty in ur collection.

Nadia Beatriz
Nadia Beatriz

I got lou lou in a swapp.. I must confess I was expecting something worst,and awkward!! For my surprise,I kinda like it!!I found cacharel classic house,and by classic, I mean mature,I don´t think lou lou suits me perfectly,because it doesn´t,really!!I feel like a child wearing grown´ups fragrances,does that make any sense to you!?I really like cacharel fragrances,but I think almost all perfumes are pretty strong and it looks better for those women 30++ with great personalittys!! I´m not saying it wouldn´t smell perfect on younger women,It´s just the idea I have when I smell Lou Lou now that I own it!!I found the bottle and the box to die for <3 That´s one of the reasons Why I wanted this,to put in my empty bottle collection ;)

ashyashy

Absolutely amazing and unique. There is nth can compare with its unique smell and i cant imagine why people hate it.

Mirlo
Mirlo

My grandmother had a bottle of this perfume in her bathroom that she never used and I remember that, as a child, I totally hated it. Wayyy too strong for me.
Many years later I gave it another try (I wonder why she hadn't thrown it away already) and the scent on my wrist felt kind of right after a while...Then, next time I tried it, I kind of fell in love with it. I would not say it's my all-time favourite perfume, but like other people have said, it's a love-hate affair. I'm 23 and I feel it doesn't quite suit a woman my age. It reminds me of a classic, an old lady's fragance but with a strange, mysterious twist that makes me want to keep smelling it over and over. It's deep and dark and extremely intense and heavy, yet somehow classy and addictive. Sometimes I wear it and I levitate everytime the scent reaches my nose, and other times it just feels way too strong.
I see a lot of people have said that it's "sweet" ot even "very sweet", which to me is not. I don't think it's "plasticky" either.
I also wouldn't wear it during the day and never for job interviews or anything of the sort.

frusia
frusia

There is something in this fragrance what reminds me of a church. It must be the incense I guess. I like it very much, because the smell was one of the most fascinating scents of my childhood - when life was all about pictures, sounds, scents and sensations, and not about rules, words and meanings. And I have never thought I could find that scent locked in a bottle and have it of my own. I am going to buy a bottle of this.

tanyadupuy7
tanyadupuy7

When I got this perfume I thought it would smell like vanilla. I was very disappointed because it smells like plastic and some kind of spice. The bottle look and the name Lou-Lou are more appealing than the sent.

Lumiere

So here is my first shy approach to LouLou.It is sweet, powdery and brings about some sadness. It is perfume that did not shout to shock me. It settled, and told me: I've got a story to tell.

I was in a hurry. I wanted something a bit herbal and bitter, to fit into my own story. So I left.

But I will be back. I will try to approach this famous beauty again later on.

sofababe
sofababe

I don't know if LouLou has been reformulated over the years or if I'm applying it with a lighter hand than I did in my youth but it doesn't seem as strong as it did 20 years ago or so.
Its still lovely, typical 80's and I do still love many of the fumes that were released in this period (except for the putrid Poison).
Powdery iris, sexy incense and vanilla, and the sweet spices all add up to make this a classic. I hadn't worn it for so long, though I have a friend who occasionally baths in it it seems. I guess I must be applying more lightly, and it certainly doesn't need a heavy hand, I sprayed 11 hours ago and I can still smell it quite strongly, especially on my shirt.

Sexy, warm, mysterious and very feminine. A hit with me for two decades and beyond.

adriana.rizzati
adriana.rizzati

I made a blind-buy to have Lou Lou, because in Italy it's impossible to find it, and I didn't remember anyone who wore it when I was a child.
I was tempted by the mainly notes (expecially by the base ones) and reading the reviews I realized that this perfume, as Anais, is loved and hated by many people... so I ordered it online, and I was ready to get a legendary perfume, for better or for worse.

At last I met Lou Lou, and I enjoyed this captivating fragrance from the first spray.
The earliest notes are a weird, powerful mixture of bittersweet, like the scent of a precious liqueur... then the scent of flowers emerges in a rich, inebriant way, giving an idea of a dense and velvety cream, and keeping the bitter note in the background.
From the top to the base notes, this fragrance has a warm spicy and sensual character, and at the same time a vibrant and exuberant soul... with a wicked touch inside!

Lou Lou is wild, stupefying, enchanting. Lou Lou is a hypnotic bewitching potion... I wear Lou Lou, and feel like a fascinating city witch, among the vivid colors of a metropolis by night.
Almost no one wears it in my country, only a few people still remember the existence of this forgotten gem: I am one of the few exceptions, and this make it even more precious to me...
Lou Lou is so bold, impudent and amazing... just like the 80s.
Beware of the addiction!

madameconde
madameconde

I am a perfumist, I make and sell perfume from Ballinger Texas, and Lou Lou and Dune of Christian Dior are the two Perfumes I will never ever run out of, and like the lady before me said you need to put very, very little, just like with chocolate a little bit is delicious you get too much and you'll get a stomach ache.

Fizzy

Smells NOTHING like bubble gum, and NOTHING like Jardins de Bagatelle.

Scarlette
Scarlette

Glorious. Rich, opulent, friendly but not overly so, sharp and witty...but once you get to know her, very soft, smooth and alluring.

Glamorous and reeks of confidence.
Intimidating. Fantastic.

I first wore this in 1988, when I smelled a lady wearing it at the bus stop, outside (silage MONSTER!!) and stopped to ask her what it was. 24 hours later, I owned a bottle. I was 17.

This IS a heavy hitter....I think it is stronger than Poison!! This is a spray in the air and walk through fragrance. If applied this way, it is DIVINE!!

Smells NOTHING like bubble gum. NOTHING. And it also smells NOTHING like Jardins de Bagatelle! JdB is so harsh & mean & dry!! Lou Lou is juicy and fancy and ripe and personable!

If you spray this one normal style = each wrist, cleavage, and back of neck if you're me, you will have a SEVERE headache, and will make people around you feel queasy.

This is a masterpiece if not over applied. I have a hard time not overdoing it. I actually get a little nervous when I am going to wear it. But wear it I MUST!

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

I don't get it. Reminds me of Ciara... even though I just compared the notes, and the only thing similar is ylang-ylang or something else that is noxious that isn't listed.

Its a powder bomb. And the Sandalwood is soooo strong. I'm not able to pull out any flower notes at all. Must be a chemistry thing. I dunno folks.

headache in a bottle.

anna.023
anna.023

What a wierd perfume, it made me very suprised. I always thought Lou Lou would be a real granny-stinker, but it wasnt at all. I dont know if its the bottle that made me think of a nasty, spicy smell?

LouLou starts strong and extreamly powdery. A powdery smell with a pretty strong violet, I would almost say that it smelles a bit of anis. Guess its the Ylang Ylang.

To me it stayed pretty much the same, very powdery violets with some anis and perhaps a little bit vanilla. But the vanilla just softens the scent, it dosnt smell "vanilla" in the normal way. Sadley I dont get any cinnamon at all. The lastingpower is nice and the sillage is very strong. However, I couldnt decide if this perfume is for me or not. I actually dont think to. I do appriciate a retro, powdery perfume, but this is a little bit too much. Its not really "retro" its more oldfashion to me. Its not modern, like for example Chloe Love, its retro stuff with a mordern touch. LouLou also reminds me abot Incolense and Kenzo Indigo, two perfumes that I would pick over this everyday.

karaaslang
karaaslang

very grand smell. it provokes different feelings. I dont know how to say this but I love and hate this fragrance. I dont want to spray it on me but I love smelling it.it is not an expensive smell, actually more close to the cheaply smell side but still there is something sinfull about it that you dont want to be far away from this fragrance. It reminds me a school girl age 15-16 wanting to be mature before her age. weird...

scentsuelle
scentsuelle

This was the first perfume I bought, I think I was 14 at the time. Weeell, my father actually banned me from wearing it when he was around because it made him nauseous and headache-y! As a grown-up, I totally understand, this is actually quite dreadful, especially as this is another one of those that always seem to be applied with a watering can!

alchimia72
alchimia72

I had a terrible experience with this fragrance. A friend of mine at high school used this perfume all the days maybe she used it as a bathfoam. It's very strong. I remember it as a good perfume but after three years to smell it i hated it.
now it's very difficult to find it, because it's a vintage. Maybe after all of theese years i can appreciate it.

chowchow41
chowchow41

When i wear this one it is as if i am in hawaii on the beach surrounded with tiareflowers, coconuts and saying aloha. For me its like a tropical mystery of ylang ylang, frangipanne[not listed],tuberose, mimose, vanilla and heliotrope. This is the best of Cacharel. Stays on your skin al day when you apply 2 sprays, dont forget it is a edp.

petravesna
petravesna

This is a loud perfume suitable for cold winter nights. It takes my breath away and it creates reactions in the others. It is a love / hate affair. I imagine poppy, sweet yet a bit pungent, raspberries, mixed with musk with a bit of grass and chocolate thrown in it. I imagine a fine sanding paper in aubergine colour with sparkle. I resembles very distantly Kenzo Flower which is sweeter, not so complex and far subtle from Lou Lou. The smell longevity is very good.

nancinha
nancinha

Ok... so I repurchased Loulou today after a long break from it. It still has that amazing smell that I remember, lost none of its charm! You don't need much, 1-2 sprays is sexy - anything more than that can be suffocating. I have fallen back in love with this fragrance and I never want to let go... ever again!!! Now with autumn at its peak and winter soon approaching, it's the perfect time of year to reach for this little treasure. Please don't try to pull this off in the summer... everyone will hate you! :P

Vanilla, cinnamon, mimosa, orange blossom, sandalwood? Can't get much better than this in my opinion! I know that it was very popular in the 80's, but I'm in my 20's and I love it, so it doesn't bother me that I'm probably one of the few girls in her 20's that wears this... I actually prefer it that way =)

greek_goddes
greek_goddes

My mother used to wear Lou Lou and now i am giving it a chance too.
I think it used to smell better on my mother!
It is not that i don't like it, but is too sharp for me.
Like being loud without a certain reason.
I have to say that i love the drydown! After 1-2 hours my clothes smell great! But i cannot wait that long to wear it on my skin.
Maybe it is reformulated but i think it has lost its glamor.

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

As a drag artist, this was the fragrance I wore in 1988 when I won the Miss Gay South Africa title. It was and is still the most evocative fragrance on the planet!!! I recently won a bet for a business class ticket to Paris regarding the wording of the commercial ... "Loulou? Oiu c'est moi" is an amazing reality!!!!

soonflower
soonflower

I used to have this about ten years ago....and sold it, because it was too strong for me at that time, I just couldn't stand it.
Now, after ten years I'm happy that I give Lou Lou second chance.
It's all that I want from a fragrance to be - strong, complex, rich, warm, intense and very unique - it doesn't smell like anything else.
It's not a sexy kind of smell, rather sexual - men love this one, it's true.
For few minutes after spraying it does smell 'strange and strong' - so '80s, I can detect a plastic note but after a while....oriental beauty.
And the lasting power is incredible.

Animato
Animato

I am starting to believe that I will love ANYTHING with jasmine, vanilla and incense in it, even though I can't smell them..

Any way this thing is gorgeous!
It's synthetic, sweet, cloying, powdery, has great sillage, is very unique and super cool.
By the way it ends very cute, kinda like a warm hug.

I believe this to be one of those fragrances that fits just right on a street-fashion loving girl in the city.

nicki317
nicki317

This was my best friend's signature fragrance in high school, so I did not wear it at the time. But I recall I thought it was wonderful. I found a bottle recently on ebay for a good price so I decided to try it. Sadly, I no longer care for this fragrance. There was some note which disagrees with my chemistry and my nose. It just doesn't smell nice to me anymore and it gave me a headache. :( Hooray for the people who can wear this, but sadly I am not one of them.

jasmasid
jasmasid

Does not work -- has never worked for me. That's not to say it's good or bad. Just that with my skin chemistry it's a cross between expensive lavatory cleaner and tropical insect repellent, laced with a pungent air-freshener sprayed in a very smelly place.
Not sure whether I'm reacting to the opaque blue bottle or to the contents therein. But LULU is one big turn-off.

Annelien1987

Second review after a couple of times wearing it. This perfume was made in the year that I was born, still around and very popular in Belgium/Europe. Not expensive (25€ for 30ml eau de parfum) and easy to get (drugstore, a bit more expensive in perfume shops). It's an amazing perfume, strong and bold and especially very sexy. Men love this stuff!! You'll get noticed.

First spray: very heavy plum and cinnamon (very 80's), I understand that this is not for everyone.
After 30minutes: ylang ylang and heavy heliotrope!. Love this stuff, really my kind of sexyness.
After a couple of hours: wonderful drydown, vanilla, spices, cinnamon and incense. Very different than others in my collection.

After 10hours still smelling this, close to my skin.

Bold and loud but sometimes i'm really in the mood for that. I'm the kinda person that loves to smell my perfume the whole day. A projection beast, everyone around you will smell this (too bad for the haters).

It kinda reminds me of barbiedolls, wonder why that is? Perhaps because my mother wore this when I played with them. Really weird... !

dormir6
dormir6

At first sniff I thougth, it was awful. Smelled like an old fashioned boudoir, not sexy and "perfumy" at all, but chaotic, having effect on my digestive system.
And after a few days I simply have grown to like it. It was cosy, sweet on my skin, a daring girl's smell. I simply don't understand it. I can retrieve the first awfull sniff, but now I love it.

jtd
jtd

LouLou is a jasmine incense floriental. It is loud and strong and I love it. I sometimes use a particular scent when in a certain mood. The relationships between the states and the perfumes can be many, but for LouLou, I wear it when I’m feeling expansive. It matches my state. Shiny amber, heady florals, sparkly aldehydes, a thick great sillage. Yeah, expansive. This happy mood suggests optimism and the desire to engage with the world. LouLou is the perfume equivalent of this state.

krmarich
krmarich

Lou Lou is a love hate relationship with me. Indeed, it was a very adult fragrance compared to Anais Anais. The promotional campaign was superb and grabbed everyones attention.

For an 80s powerhouse, it is rather avant gard. Hence, it never caught on in US markets. In Europe it was/is still in demand.

Perhaps its the stange fruitiness crossed with the tiare flower and heliotrope that disturbs and becons me. Its rather hard to describe it. Sadness and seduction. Wealth and despair. That is Lou Lou for me. Its somewhat funerary...

KuanYin
KuanYin

Another revisit to a favourite perfume from my past! Still love it now and can actually recognise some of the notes in this; jasmine, sandalwood, ylang ylang, some of my favourite oils, a great uplifting scent, the only thing that spoils it is the talcy 'drydown'?, but find that disappears after a while leaving a gorgeous, creamy, exotic scent. The other thing...the bottle design? it deserves something more striking I think, as do all cacharel perfumes, the bottles always look a bit of an after thought, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a pretty bottle. Other than that, I am delighted.

TankGirl
TankGirl

Lou Lou represent the 80' fashion quite good.
Lou Lou is plastic vanilla doll, is strong, pungent, sweet and incensy.
The first half an hour is hard to bare but after that Lou Lou becomes a soft skin scent.
Alluring, provocative. An icon.
This is how a cheap perfume becomes a classic, because it had character and was the perfect representation of its time.
By the way when I putted this on I instantly reminded Lady Gaga, she should wear this.

JToronto
JToronto

This has been one of my favourites since it was launched, and I keep it today as my "big event" perfume - it has that sexy, edgy, big and flowery personality that seems perfect for a night out, but perhaps a little too much in the daylight. I never liked Poison or Opium which were big (huge!) but very spicy - LouLou seems to share their assertiveness but with a different style. To me it is a more sophisticated perfume, which may be why it has survived as a cult favourite. It is not easy to find in North America but is still available in Europe. Like others, I get more comments about my perfume when I wear this one compared to any other scent. It's very unique.

valarian
valarian

Mae West once said, "It is better to be looked over than overlooked"! I could not think of a more appropriate saying to match this perfume. When Lou Lou enters a room, she cannot be overlooked! Whether liked or disliked that is another matter!

A bit like Mae West this perfume is full on! Maybe not sophisticated enough to be one of the greats or complex enough to be one of the classics but most certainly the type of perfume once smelt, never forgotten. I have never met anyone that encountered Lou Lou and cannot remember the name or the bottle. Personally, I like it and do own a bottle but I rarely wear it due to the nature of the beast.

Be warned if you haven't yet had the pleasure you will certainly know when you do and be aware that if you love it, others will tend to remember you as, "that person that always wears that perfume” you know, "the one in the Blue bottle”, Oh, I know, “you mean Lou Lou!”

xpetra82
xpetra82

people keep saying me that i smell so familiar. i am 30 years old and i dont know any woman in my age wears this one...so i tried to figured out why....and i think that's because in 80's our mams use to wear it...so people (especially men) in ages 25-35 feel warm familiar and nice when they smell this...and i guess that's good...but anyway...i am crazy about this fragance...craaaazyyy....

adele l
adele l

I'm gathering from reviews that Lou Lou varies according to body chemistry. First off on me it's not overpowering at all..it's a very exuberant sweet tuberose. I seriously remember trying Carnal Flower and thinking it reminded me of something less expensive- that was Lou Lou. Of course there are fundamental differences but as most tuberose perfumes are super expensive I think Lou Lou is the best bang for your buck..if it works on your skin! Smells almost youthful to me and not dated at all.

AimeeSoui
AimeeSoui

I had to have a reunion with this perfume from the 80s and bought myself a new bottle yesterday, and I do not regret it! This is an unique, mystic, sweet and longlasting fragrance. The fragrances from the 80s have overall far more staying power than most of the perfumes made today. The drydown of this smell is tender and sweet like candy and you never need to touch up during the day as it lasts and lasts. I only wish it was possible to find the perfumebottle that looks like an UFO (as the one on the photo above) but it is very rare so I ended up with the ordinary eau the perfume spray.The uniqueness of this smell can be difficult for some to wear, I think you either love it or hate it, but for me, this fragrance has always been special. Love it!!

puppynose
puppynose

Back when I bought this it was because I read reviews that suggested it was spicy and would be the sort of oriental that I appreciate, but in spite of trying this in winter and summer and on skin and on clothing, all I get is a lot of coumarin, that rubber doggy bone smell and some heliatropin. I would not have persisted in trying to find something good in it if it were not for the positive reviews, but this is so bland I don't see it as a classic or an original. I get no spices. A touch of powder develops early in the dry down. No discernible flowers, hardly even a sense of general floralcy. Boring, bland, generic, something a little nauseating and just plain boring.

Fizzy

I was very amused about the statement from The Swedish girl, : "Eau de public restroom" This was also my opinion, when I sniffed on the bottle by my sister in law.She dies for this parfum since 10 years. Then I sniffed it on my mother in law, she is 60 years old. What a heavenly parfum, I asked immediately. It was Lou Lou, which smelled totally different on her, than on my sister in law.

The next time of course I sprayed on me. On the skin this scent turns into beautiful, rich and sweet scent, which is very unusual. I have it on my love shelve, because this is the only one parfum, I got regularly and often compliments for it when wearing. For my personally, this is too much vanilla on the base, which is disturbing me a long time after spraying.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

"Eau de public restroom". VERY indolic (poopy) jasmine kills all the other notes. But the sillage and longevity is great. This one smelled much better and warmer in the 80`s when my mum wore it.

UPDATE: I tried this again, and now I really like it. I still HATE the indolic topnotes, but once they die out LouLou smells amazing. I especially like the incense and the cinnamon. I never meet anyone who wears this though, a very underrated scent, and nicely priced too.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

LouLou is one big '80s floral oriental. The jasmine, tuberose, violet, rose, balsam, cedar, incense, and ambergris explode off skin in a harmony not seen in current feminine fragrances. It's all so thick and lush that, by today's standards, it could be masculine. Vanilla quickly washes into the fray, adding a sweetness to the woodsy and floral mix. Eventually the sugar from the vanilla dominates, and the entire affair melts into a sweet, warm, slightly powdery aura. Like most '80s boudoir masterpieces, this fills the air around its wearer, and follows her everywhere. Very well done, a bold offering from Cacharel.

ION
ION

There are no words to describe "Loulou".
It came out soon after "Poison" and one can't help noticing that this one is "Poison's" little child. A stripped down version of the 80's best seller, its heart isolated and majestically enhanced!
It smells like velvet would smell when caressing a pretty girl's smooth skin, the precious odor of a rare flower, captivating and infinitely seductive!
You have to experience "Loulou".
It is the Femme Fatale's perfume.
An advice: spray it on your underwear.

sunnyshine
sunnyshine

i want to smell like this when i ll become a mama.

self confidence, erotism, womanity, tenderness.

i love it and i want it!

kwarnst
kwarnst

When I tried this fragrance on paper I didn't like it at all; it was too harsh and overpowering, I couldn't find any kind of harmony in it.
But this one deserves a test on the skin. When I did so, I was surprised and amazed by its beauty.

The opening is pretty harsh, I guess that might be the cinnamon and anise, but that is soon followed by sensual flowers like Ylang-Ylang, Tuberose, Jasmin and Orange Blossom. They make the fragrance sensual and even sexy and seductive. When the flowers start to fade, the scent turns into a warmer and more comforting/cozy fragrance with incense, vanilla and tonkabean. The incense stands out on my skin and is very beautiful.
The drydown is sweet and powdery and has a slightly smoky feel to it.

My keywords for LouLou: classy, luxurious, sensual, mysterious, inviting.

Not dated at all! Great sillage, great lastingpower!

ashyashy

i am not sure if it is my body chemistry or what, it doesnt smell as strong as mots others said! But it smells quite interesting and affictive that u wanna smell it more and more once u sprayed on you. It smells like nothing created nowadays, it is special in its way that reminded me of 80's. Thats for sure.

Annelien1987

I'm wearing LouLou today for the first time. It works great on my skin. It's not an everyday perfume, too strong but sometimes I need that. I love it, she's so special and so precious. She's very creamy and in your face, to me she's powdery too. Definately cinnamon and vanilla, mixed with violet and ylang ylang (very noticable) which makes it a sexy perfume. It reminds me of my mother when I was a little girl, no worries about work/money and other stress factors. That's a reason why I like her a lot. Cacharel has great perfumes, it does that a lot for me!

kikinha
kikinha

Oh Gosh! Does exist anything more powerful and overwhelming than this one? I cannot believe I used to wear this during the day to go to school on Brazil. Bad trend! LOL

boyxtoy
boyxtoy

i love LouLou :$
i'm a 19 y-old boy, and i use loulou as a night perfume
it's just androgenous, it's like an forbidden scent
some people hate it, some people doesn't give a damn for it
but everytime that i use it, it fusioned with my skin, this perfume use me, as its slave *-*
i'm just in love with this magic and erotic scent

takeasniff
takeasniff

I have read many reviews on this and a lot of people just can't tolerate this perfume a bit like Red Door. I thought ok here it is I am going to test this but I was prepared for it being very strong and strange to say the least. Well, I think it is a lovely perfume. I only sprayed a tiny little bit. It starts off very strong and yes there is incense but it is not the harsh knock your head off incense like in a head shop. The incense is just in the back ground which destracts your nose from the powdery dry down which is slightly sweet and musky. The perfume doesn't smell animalistic or dirty to me. It is a sweet powdery smell with depth added by the incense. If used sparingly it is a very feminine perfume a little dated but not in a way that you would smell kitchy or out of touch with today's perfumes. If you don't like incense and don't like powder then don't bother with this. If you do like Eden or Chanel No.5 or even samsara give this a test but only a little drop and you will see how lovely it is. Some bottles have gone off I have noticed in some stores because they do have a rancid chemical dry smell so if that happens try a different store and the smell will be different. It lasts as well as Eden does so a long time. It is affordable now too so worth a test.

*sophi*

This is my signature for many years (two decades +)
It's different than usual scents and it was too progressive when first launched(1987)
Yes,it's intense and mysterious smell(incense)..
You may be overwhelmed at first apply(cinnamon,anise,plum) but then it turns very soft powdery smell that lasts(iris-orris root)and kind of sweet(heliotrope-vanilla-benzoin)..
All in all it captures me with the longevity and sillage ,it makes me want to use it more and more...one word, magnifies me!!!

I.I
I.I

I like mysterious and unusual scents but Loulou is too strong and too spicy. It is not an indifferent perfume but I don't like it. It is feminine but also 'offensive' and 'provocative',in my opinion.
Not for one who likes floral and fresh perfumes or milder scents.

movs
movs

Lou Lou is mysterious and dark and at the same time soft and soothing.
If Anaïs Anaïs is the perfect romantic day time scent, Lou Lou must be the perfect seductive night time scent.

It is a very soft oriental where incense, vanilla and cinnamon are far more dominating than the musk and sandalwood notes.
Lou Lou is totally free from sharp or acrid notes. It's is so smooth and alluring that I can't help sniffing my wrists all the time, when I wear it.
As in Anaïs Anaïs and Eden the flower bouquet in this fragrance is simply divine and the lasting power extremely good.

I've heard people saying that Lou Lou is vulgar and cheap. I don't share that opinion but you should be careful when you apply, because it is a very loud perfume.

My only question is: Why did the put this heavenly scent in that ugly bottle?

In 3 words: SOFT - MYSTERIOUS - SEXY

barbieceline

this perfume is soft romantic and sensible...i always wear it at nites.. and when eva i wear it, someone asks me what my perfume is.i think its one of the best perfumes ever..

janmcm
janmcm

This was my signature scent when I was a teenager in early 90's, I absolutely loved it & felt like a vamp when I wore it.
I'm not sure I'm so keen on it now. It's so strong I don't know how I got away with it then.

LouLou was my signature scent in the 80s and early 90s. I guess I didn't know any other scent then anyway :) So I wore it from around 16 to early 20s. I loved it a lot. I guess I'm an oriental-floral scent lover. Today I can't find much in LouLou anymore. It works for younger girls that aren't too shy ;)

santhion
santhion

Loulou is so me. It's the perfume that I wore when my honey fell in love with me. It's warm, voluptuous and compelling. Smelled it a hunderd times on other women, cause everybody wore it in the 80's, but on "me" its like a bedtime story in a desert tent by Scheherazade and The Dream by Henri Rousseau all rolled into one. And it still is.

capitu
capitu

Loulou isn't just a perfume. In my point of view loulou is almost a person. A powerfull, seductive, mysterious and unique woman. Like a Diva, or something. This perfume is amaizing, have a verry strong composition but you still cam feel the sweet and delicate floral in a beaultiful contrapoint with the strongth of musk, incense and benzoin.
It isn't the kind of perfume wich is liked by everybody who smells it; some people hate, some people love, don't exist the "midle". But liking or unliking, you will feel this perfume, and recognize it, why Loulou is unique and calls the attentions in any situation.

Louw
Louw

I want to like this and I've tried it a few times over the years. It's great at first - a hit of rich, velvety warmth that is neither distinctly floral nor fruity but a little of each. That's followed by warmer, slightly spicy notes but then comes the base note and this is where I start to dislike it. There's an element in the base that comes through and really sets me on edge. I don't know what it is, but I find it in the dry-down of several perfumes. It's something insistently sweet and cloying. If I can ever find out what it is, it will save me from a lot of perfume-buying mistakes!

bb3706
bb3706

This was the first perfume i owned. Given to me on my 14th birthday and i thought it was the most exotic and beautiful thing i had ever smelled. Absolutely loved it! Now some 18 years later and having not sniffed this delicious scent for many years i find myself wondering whether i would still like it as much as i did back then. Testing time i think...

Sarah Bas Eleazar
Sarah Bas Eleazar

The perfume founded in stores today is not the same that was released in 1987 and became the big hit of the season.
I have an old bottle of it and Lou lou perfume is certainly one of the most beautiful in the world. Sweet like candy mixed with delicate flowers. Perfect!

Psyche
Psyche

OUCH! Tried this at a chemists last week and the moment I opened the cap I had a reaction not unlike catbiscuit's (LOL). It was.....horrifying. I showed it to my boyfriend and he made the most disgusted face. Fairly certain everyone in the shop heard us and our honest reactions. For some reason he could smell vanilla. I love vanilla...but not like this! It smelled like the kind of perfume you'd smell coming from a tomb....incredibly rancid and old but trying to be sweet...

I don't think there's anything to "get" about this perfume. I'm 28 years old so I'm no teeny bopper, and I appreciate unusual scents. I think you love it or you don't, as someone else said there's no in between with this one.

I sprayed it on my arm to see how it would develop. To me it didn't change much, just got softer but I still didn't like it. It lasted forever, too..lucky me. LOL. But it is definitely intriguing..I kept sniffing my arm out of morbid curiosity and each time my opinion didn't change.

olga1780

La Petite. LOl. I'm thinking the same way, how could I? But I didn't know any better at that time. The only perfumes in my arsenal at that time were Light Blue and Cool Water. I guess LouLou was beyond the scope of my comprehension when I was 23. I remember thinking about my mother-in-law: "How could she give me that garbage?"
Today chances are much higher that Light blue would be on the way out. I don't even keep in my collection anymore.

olga1780

My my ex mother-in-law gave it to me for Xmas 7 years ago( a large bottle!!!) and I threw it away without using it once.At that time i really thought she gave me that crap because she didn't want to use it herselt. And here I am now, 7 years later, scouring Ebay up and down for a good deal. Ugh!

andrada2003
andrada2003

I got it a month ago and still don't know if i like it or not. Smell like nothing I ever had. A bit plastic, a bit green, nothing sweet on my skin, but my clothes smells great in the evening. My husband loves it, my daughter too, they said they could smell the resins on me. Must be my nose, 'cause I only smell green leaves. Vanilla???? No way. Tuberose??? Never found. Still, it's intriguing. I only wear a couple of drops and still my clothes got the smell, and they smell wonderful in the evening. I guess I can't appreciate it well enough.
Anyway, I've never had a perfume which smells green in the morning and oriental in the evening.
P.S. All my male collegues told me it's wonderful. What the heck??!!

One sniff of Lou Lou and no this is not for *me* and yet I couldn’t help buying her. I found a mini vintage bottle at this dirty little antique shop, so I quickly grabbed her thinking perhaps the new formula and ugly bottle lacked the magic bestowed on the original. Lou Lou doesn’t really remind me of bitchy Poison’s little ingénue sister, though I get how people might feel this. I agree more with those who feel how unique Lou Lou is...I've never sniffed anything like this in my life.

Lou Lou is obnoxious and elusive at the same time, it’s no surprise this scent has often been called a misfit. Kmarich nailed Lou Lou, she is a misfit! The top notes scream 80’s power hour for me personally. I was a child in the 80’s but had I been old enough to wear perfume, I probably would have picked Lou Lou.

I love the complex procession of boozy fruit, powdery violets,black rose, and the truly unforgettable oriental night blooming jasmine, which is very dark but frankly just too fleeting. This composition morphed with my chemistry in less than an hour, she changed into this bizarre and shy incense that isn’t exactly sweet, it’s almost dirty and I’m guessing orris root is responsible. I would love to douse myself in Lou Lou just to see the reaction I might provoke. I'm quite sure people would either run in fear of me, or fall in love my aura. Sigh.. as it is I will have to be content with a few drops from the sweetest little genie bottle.

RavenDarkholme
RavenDarkholme

Was my signature smell years ago. I wonder if I could wear it dayly now cause I remember it was very sweet and strong but also special and long lasting. Then I changed to the lighter version but nowadays I cant find it in any shop!

lgorz
lgorz

I could say that this is the scent from where my olfactory trip begins.It was early 80's and I was just a teenager.It is amazing the memories that this fragrance helped me store in my brain!!!
I feel very lucky to have worn it at that time.
It is still a kinky scent but of course I love other fragrances too now..
UNFORGETTABLE.

seaofghosts
seaofghosts

Don't you love all these perfumes that were popular in the 90's? No, they're dreadful but I do love the memories they evoke. This is the perfume your mum gave you when she thought it was awful (a gift from someone else and throwing it away would have been a waste, right?) but knew you'd appreciate it as a young girl. I remember it being very powdery and not something I liked even back then. It was an unusual perfume for the 90's, notes that aren't well defined, so in that regard it is unique. Not something I would ever want to smell again except for a trip down memory lane. Even that's pushing it.

Gingerwoman
Gingerwoman

This is THE perfume to wear if you want a man to like what scent you're wearing. Men always like it. Even the ones who usually don't notice or like perfume!

Scarlet.Anemone
Scarlet.Anemone

Oh Lou Lou... What a beautiful scent you have. But sadly, we're not meant to be together. Why, oh why. Only God knows why.... You gave me a terrible headache and nausea, I really don't know why. Don't worry, you're safe and sound with my mother now. She likes you more than I do. Hopefully we can meet again someday. And probably that day, I'll love you more....

maelleinrome

Another great classical that I didn't know...until yesterday, and that I'm in love with! On my skin is a so rich and warm fragrance, and I can mostly notice the incense, the plum and the tuberose: maybe is just the tuberose that leaves on my skin a kind of honeyed note. Two drops last for hours, and I like it so much! I don't know why, but most of these Eighties fragrances seems to work very well with my chemistry!

Sparks
Sparks

I have been wearing this regularly for 25 years, been complimented countless times by both men and women with but one complaint...from a co-worker who had loved it until we had a difference of opinion. Yes, it's got a large presence but the trick is to use it sparingly. With it's sillage and longevity you need to be very careful not to over use it, please! It's considered a classic for a good reason and should not be splashed about like a cheap cologne.

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

Many of us on Fragrantica have fond memories of Lou Lou because she was a "coming of age" fragrance for us. We wore Lou Lou to smell grown up, cool and sexy when we went to all-night dance clubs and parties. It was a fragrance to lose our innocence and virginity by. If you're curious to know what trendy young women in the '80's smelled like, give Lou Lou a try.

I used to have a bottle in the '80's, and remembered it being potent, unique, and intriguing, but couldn't remember the scent specifically. I was curious to try it again and ordered a used bottle on eBay. I tried a light spray because I'd read the Fragrantica reviewer warnings about not overspraying. Is it just me, or does Lou Lou smell almost exactly like Dior's Poison? Someone here called it Poison's little sister - I agree. They both have that heady tuberose, grape jelly (plum), smoky incense smell. "Heady" says it all - a sickly-sweet exotic flower smell. There's plenty of tiare, jasmine, and especially tuberose - a femme fatale note, which I'm not a huge fan of, but it will lure men. Lou Lou is a flirtatious siren. My husband says it me smell "like a harlot", and it turns him on, which made me laugh. I also had to laugh when I read one reviewer wrote that it's for "wh--es", and another "kinky".

Sherapop detects a "plastic doll scent" - good call, Sherapop, me too! I found the opening too intense because of so much plastic doll and incense, but after the the juice mellowed, it was sweet, powdery, even pretty. Fragrantica describes it as a warm scent, and other reviewers here do too, but I didn't find it warm at all. I tend to prefer warm-sweet fragrances. Lou Lou is cool-sweet, if that makes sense, but I still like it. I admire Lou Lou's bold "everything old is new again" opaque blue art deco bottle, a vintage throwback which also gives you a clue as to the cool fragrance inside. The packaging, the name "Lou Lou", and the model in the advertising with the forlorn, melancholy, waif-like appearance create a mysterious mood and suit the fragrance well. (That's what sold me on it when I was young.)

Lou Lou has a sense of mystery, I'll say that for her. She's sexy, complex and deep. The "deep dark forest" reference is apt. Maybe the balsam basenote has something to do with it (Wella Balsam shampoo from the '70's - could that be what I'm smelling!)? I recommend wearing Lou Lou on an occasion where you want to flirt like a femme fatale and attract a special someone's attention with an intoxicating scent they can't ignore.

miZZpuRRfect

if you love it you have to reach for it, this perfume is a gorgeous oriental! and all men i met when wearing, have complimented and where crazy about. (see my review about this sone) go for it!

LaPetite
LaPetite

This perfume is SO special to me, it was my first "real" perfume , i would only use it in very special occasion .
I'm not always a fan of Oriental scent , but this one is so classy and elaborate.
This perfume makes me think that Cacharel is almost a niche perfumery , because most of their scent are very original and daring, they're or love or hate them .
At least they try things

juliane
juliane

The colour of the beautiful art deco style bottle fits the perfume very well. Used in tiny dabs this is a soft, powdery dusk sky blue cloud around you...
Actually this is how I imagined to smell "L'heure bleue": It's like lying by nightfall in late spring somewhere in a park on the grass and watching the lightly cloudy sky transforming from peach to blue, getting darker and darker untill the stars come out.
Although it's spicy, sweet and dark fruity-flowery it's a bit soft and clean and a bit mysterious and grown-up dreamy, romantic to me.
I think it's timeless and very sexy used in small amounts. (Over spraying is fatal in this case.)

Until recently, my only faint memory of Cacharel LOULOU was of the time when I was walking through a major department store with my little brother during the initial launch of the perfume. An eager SA was holding a bottle in one hand, which she used to spray test strips in the other and then fanned out to passersby, enthusiastically extolling the marvels of this new perfume, which, she insisted, we really had to try! We accepted a strip, sniffed it, dropped it, laughing, and the rest of the afternoon my brother cooed "Loulou! Loulou! LouLou!" to mock the poor woman.

Then LOULOU basically dropped out of my consciousness for decades (!) until I started noticing some reviews pop up at Fragrantica. They piqued my curiosity since people seemed to have such strong reactions--one way or the other--to this creation. It seemed to me before obtaining a sample that there was a good chance that I'd fall into the camp of those who find LOULOU "totally intolerable" or even "vile". This is because I am thoroughly convinced that there is a bell curve distribution of every human trait and tendency, including sensitivity to plastic notes in perfume, and, inductive evidence strongly suggests, I fall at the very tail of the loser end of the curve in that case. (Know thyself.)

Unsurprisingly, then, upon donning LOULOU this afternoon, I was struck down immediately by a splitting headache. I have not smelled a plastic/"doll" note this strong since Rochas POUPEE, which has enjoyed considerably less success than LOULOU, but offers the same nightmarish plasticity to my nose and suffering body. Whatever virtues and originality this composition may boast, I am literally blinded to them by the strong smell of molten plastic in which I am currently trapped.

I will say that, in contrast to some other reviewers, I do not find this composition very similar at all to Agent Purple. As anyone who has ever suffered a migraine knows, there are headaches, and there are headaches. The LOULOU headache is definitely in its own league, though it is true that, as in the case of POISON, this perfume is definitely not for me, so I suppose I can agree that in this sense these two perfumes are the same: Totally unbearable and, therefore, totally unwearable. Even my cat ran away upon sensing my approach. No can do. Désolée. Time for a bath!

***************
Off topic FDA addendum:

AGENT BLUE appears either to be a liquidified version of the plastic coating in which it is encased, or else the plastic has leeched into the liquid, lending credence to the view that we all need to switch over to glass--and fast!

lilou
lilou

As a young girl, around 16, I didn't like this perfume but now I'm older (32) and I love it ! I received it as a gift and now it's impossible to forget it ! It's impossible to compare it to another perfume (perhaps Maitresse - Agent Provocateur...). It's gourmand, deep, a bit intoxicating but not too much. And it lasts all the day long : very important indication according to me.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Well,if there is something you can say about this perfume is that has personality. You may like it or not. Personally I think that masterpieces always have lovers and haters, nothing in between.
If this one was a woman ,it would be Maria Callas ,If it was a car, a huge lorry,and if it was a song a bolero.

miZZpuRRfect

best full bodied plain oriental ever. i used to use this when i was 22-25 and boys and men where following me everywhere i went, telling me how good i smell. haha, i had also a boyfriend he was sooo crazy about this perfume and my neighbour was also crazy about it. guess this one was really ME in this period of my life. the nice big diamond shaped blue opaque bottle with tis bloodred bump, which i own still today, lasted for 3 years. you need only a few drops to smell to whole day long and in hair and clothes it stays forever...
i used it up untill the last drop with pleasure but never purchased it again because i came a cross poison then :)

SuperVixen1108
SuperVixen1108

I've found that a similar fragrance is D&G 10 LA ROUE DE LA FORTUNE. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it smelled like until I found my mom's bottle of LouLou

[ilaria_ions]
[ilaria_ions]

Oh, LouLou! You deserve a Phd paper written about you. All the elaborate and lengthy reviews are well deserved. This is not a scent that you can describe, it's one that you can only experience for yourself. I remember it as one of my favorite ones from when i was...well...a kid. But, considering the fact that my time machine doesn't work, this is a story from the present. The opening is harsh. I belive that few people can handle it. It attacks your senses in an unforgivable way. I was ready to faint. But after you survive it, if you can that is, comes the magic. Amazing blend of the notes,a master piece. The dry down is smoky and warm.It touches is you almost in a physical way.Velvet. Lasting power-never seen before. Fragrance worth a try, emphasis on 'try'. Never ever, do a blind purchase on this one. And please, use it carefully, don't 'bath' in it, cos it will be a criminal offence.

guest_LoveItt
guest_LoveItt

I purchased LouLou parfume for my wife on her wedding day 22 years ago and I can say that the aroma is the most sensually enticing smell you will ever smell! It lasted about 15 years - the bottle, and I have purchased her another one for this Christmas. If you want an aroma to spark an evening event --try LouLou, you won't be disappointed. We now have 4 children........

Cecille
Cecille

This fragrance opens loudly with clashing metallic notes. It dries down nicely though, if you can manage to get there. And it has good staying power.

sistertricked
sistertricked

When I first tried Loulou I passed whole hours of an extraordinary olfactive journey. I felt the powerful incense from the first blast and it made me stay alert. Obviusly I had applied too much and did not know where that could lead me. But I waited and ... kept breathing. What a strong juice and what a strong will I had to let it go on! It was at first an inspiring, a bracing-up smell, a wake-up slap on the face due to the loads of incense present which made me think of Paloma Picasso. Yes, a rich bouquet of white flowers mixed with powdery flowers, all on a bed of incense. I started to enoy its softness three hours later, when the incense became suffused by powder and creaminess. I am wearing Loulou right now, obviously reduced the amount to a tenth of it, and still feel it on my clothes, on my scarf, in my hair. It is lovely, so creamy and warm and bright, which is the part that I like best, but anyway I look forward for a new application and I like the idea of the initial incensey coming to my senses when I get ready for work in the morning. Yes, I wear a small amount of Loulou at work.

kelleysmall
kelleysmall

I just tried this yesterday but have smelled it before, just not the parfum concentration ... wow. A scorchingly sexy scent by far; you only need a little bit of it. Fantastic staying power ... I have washed my hands more than once and am still enjoying a very powerful drydown of musk and vanilla. Remember, you only need a little of the real jus ... the bottle highly unusual as well, unlike any other. Use with caution :)

HAnah
HAnah

Is one of my favourites too.
ia a peculiar scent. At the beginning it remerbers to me " new dolls " is a plastic scent but very conformtable that makes you dream when i was younger....i like a lot and i think that is much more different than the rest of perfumes.....

Kittycat63

Some of the reviewers on here are so funny! Catbiscuit's review is hilarious and I TOTALLY agree!

Perfumepromosi, on the other hand, thinks LouLou is wonderful and states that she's on a diet at the moment so "today I caved and bought this one 30 ml edp and put it on and instant relief. So 'gourmand' ish, it makes it so I don't want to eat! I just want to smell this! Its more amazing than I remember it being and it does smell rich. Its so yummy and wonderful. So the morale of the story, its good if you are on a diet!"

Hmm, all I can say is that LouLou, for me, also makes it so that I don't want to eat. Not, though, because it's "gourmand'ish" ..... because it absolutely stinks, turns my stomach and makes me lose any appetite I may have had.

I had a bottle of this when I was a teenager, which I think was a present. At first I thought it was very grown up and sophisticated and I did wear it but gradually I noticed that I was finding it harder and harder to "stomach" it and it got to a point that there was no way I could, or would, wear it anymore.

This perfume, together with Opium are, in my opinion, two of the worst perfumes ever created. God knows why some women seem to love them and see them as classic perfumes that should be adored by everyone. Personally, I would advise any sane woman to steer clear of this horrible perfume but that if they do like it and insist on wearing it, then they need to stay about 10 miles away from anybody who has good taste and who finds stenchy perfumes like this to be revolting and nausea inducing ! !

elusivek
elusivek

Big 80's fragrance indeed.

It starts out smelling of plastic, definitely synthetic. It starts to ease with sweetness a LOUD floral. I'm not sure if it is the iris or violet. Either way it is persistent. After about an hour the base notes begin to try to tame the obnoxious floral but despite the attempts, it fails.

Oh how I wanted to scrub this one off!! I was determined to not let it win though. I made it approximately 1 1/2 hours. So, in the end, it won. I couldn't take it anymore.

In your face, straight up your nostril & poke your brain type of dated headache scent.

Sissi
Sissi

Who is Lou Lou? and what does she represent? is she the Lou Lou played by Louise Brooks as a amoral seductress in Weimar Berlin who's actions to bring her
to a downward spiral of Degradation or is she an 60's pop singer with the song To Sir with love'
Lou Lou Captures a lot of
mystery.

The opening for me starts sweet with luscious plum bring out with the innocence of delicate lily dries to an down to an powdery textures of Mimose Irises and Purple violet Chinese Cinnamon wood Brings out the exotica of this perfume and with the ending of the top notes the Leafy Cassia with it's primal and earthy essence.

The nocturnal jasmine starts the middle notes with the distant and crisp note
of anise orris with it's musky undertones makes it more androgynous
that appeals to both sexes; the drydown
of dry sandalwood with it's subtle presence with musk for it's mannish Dietrich Like sexuality in Morocco in the famous nightclub scene dresses like a male vanilla with it's dry sweetness
and Dark and Mysterious Incense Adds to the exotica of a Dark Cabaret with black
Curtains and Big Bold red neon words
flashes in the background while incense
burning beside each other during their
serpent Dance.

iconoclast
iconoclast

Definitely one of the most distinctive and memorable women's perfumes of the last 30 years. There was a time in the late 80s and early 90s when this was "the one to have" and it may have suffered from being too common at the time. Now 20 years or so later and with newer generations around who might not be so familiar with its smell, I reckon it's time for a comeback. As previous reviewers/users have indicated, its sheer distinctiveness links it to many (good & naughty) memories of that time for them. However, this should never be a blind purchase....

Loulou is a testimony to the scent industry's braver days when houses were bolder and not concerned with repeatedly launching sales-safe insipid clones of each others' creations. It takes a brave woman to wear this bold and sexy fragrance - and as a man I say good luck to them as I love it, especially in wintertime.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I tried LouLou and it was different. We all know that is the polite term for "don't like it ". It has a very pronounced spice like clove to it that is overpowering. The floral is crushed by the spice. You could use it to scent candles since it is like fragrance oil in strength. I found that the spice was intense enough to clear my sinuses and I could taste it in the back of my throat. The blue bottle is very pretty but the stuff inside of it burns my eyes. Not for me and I don't recommend wearing this around fragrance sensitive people for your own safety.
PS-
This is what you would call a "go to hell perfume". That is, if you don't like my perfume, you can go to hell !

I'll start saying that I totally understand Catbiscuit's psycho-physic reaction to this! LOL!
In spite of being marketed as “oh, so doll’s perfume” LouLou can really make you go crazy and want to hit someone. The reason? Who knows? It’s not just about heaviness. There must be some ingredient that makes that reaction and it is probably the same one that drives men wild. After all a wild man is often an angry one.
The commercial was a little phoney and presented a pale independent not overtly sexy young woman who could be a ballerina or an actress in a serious theatre drama. But she left a LouLou trail behind her.
I agree it’s a little sister for original glorious Poison and they both lived their glory moment in big ‘80s. I own a beautiful bottle with the red stopper without spray, almost used up.
I was not crazy of this cloying cloud of powder power back at those years but I used to wear it for perfume’s sake and also to make my mom go crazy. She simply hates LouLou! She puts it in a special category, the “w..re” one, together with other scents you would never say. On the other hand I can’t stand Anais Anais which she loves.
I have no idea if men go wild with LouLou because at that age I hardly made anyone wild, not even later.
Only now I understand how skanky LouLou is, the skank being hidden by tons of old French face powder and strong yellow Baby Johnson’s Shampoo. Most Cacharel smell dirty on me after a while and they smell outrageous, but it seems something made on a purpose.
My mom was right. This is for w…res, not said in a bad sense. Poor naïve me, I couldn’t understand its power back in time and now it smells just gross compared to my sophisticated perfumes.
I will try again dabbing only 2 drops on wrists and stay far from Catbiscuit!

twinklestar.pa
twinklestar.pa

Re Carbiscuit's. 8-1-10 note...

I am laughing my --- off.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I once apologised to LouLou lovers everywhere after calling it vile.

'Catbiscuit' I said to myself, 'Perhaps you were too hasty, rushing to judgement about this iconic 80s fragrance?" In a rare moment of insecurity, I allowed myself to believe this.

Today, I tried Lou Lou again. I will never doubt myself again, no matter how much everyone else seems to love a perfume. To me this is so far beyond being simply a scrubber, it is a *screamer*. Pure animal rage at being subjected to such a terrible smell.

There is something about LL which kicks my adrenals into overdrive. But it is never the flight response that I am driven to. LL creates a physiological response - hyper-alertness, clenching fists, rigid jaw, pent up nervous tension & intense anger. I am spoiling for a fight.

To be honest, I can't pick really pick out any notes bar sandalwood. Too much emotion in the way.

So again, sorry Lou Lou lovers, I really am, however if you want to take it outside, I am ready...

Actually, Loulou also has the note Tiare flower in it. Not unimportant to know!!!

orangepoppy
orangepoppy

DELEATED IN PROTEST
- Taking a stand against Fragrantica’s editing

Nemia
Nemia

For a short time in my life, LouLou was me and I was LouLou. When the perfume exploded on the market, I was mesmerized and bought it. And never went without it. I lived at night, I partied too much and lived too little, I went to the opera, theater, fashion shows and dance recitals, I had the blast of a time with a much older man and felt as though this craziness would never end. Which of course it did, leaving me with a horrible hangover, one empty and one half empty bottle of LouLou, and with a fund of memories, some lovely, some embarrassig.

LouLou is the most daring, craziest and loudest perfume I know. Oh, and the sexiest. Men have never before or afterwards reacted to me the way they did when I wore LouLou. It was like walking nude under a fur coat, full of promise.

I could never pull off this scent any more, actually, I could do it only for this short time of madness in my life. It was SO worth it.

But when I smell women using it for office or everyday use, I shake my head. Dear ladies, this is a perfume for wild women who love their risk, their adventure, their night jungle, their muddy depths and glorious flowers of the water lily, floating effortlessly.

It is no doubt one of the achievements of perfume making to create a scent that polarizes like no other. Some people will be disgusted, other will feel intoxicated.

If you are looking for adventure, wear LouLou. If you like your life the way it is, look somewhere else / because it will shake up your life.

geckolost
geckolost

Today is my second time to try this. It wasn't as bad as the first day because I knew what to expect. I suppose it is somewhat exotic...but it just doesn't smell that good to me. It would probably smell best in the autumn. I probably won't use it again until then. I really like the bottle though. And I like the idea that another reviewer had, that it's like and Alice in Wonderland perfume.
***It does smell better in the autumn! But should be used sparingly! And it goes with my new short, retro/Sophia Loren inspired hair cut!

Maki
Maki

When I saw LouLou come by in the latest reviews, it's picture, the blue bottle with the red crown, I immediately remembered the scent within. I had it years ago, got it for a present.
I think Loulou smells like it's presentation, it reminds me of the fair. I can see the merry go round and smell the cotton candy...bubble gum chewing young girls, giggling, talking about 'the boys'...
Not my kind of thing.

I remember how, at the time of it's release, I simply couldn't understand that this cheep appearing scent was from the same brand as Anaïs Anaïs that was presented in such a beautifully dreamy and sophisticated way...

kraxa
kraxa

The original 80-ties bottle of Lou Lou proves a strong inspiration by a 1927 scent Le Debut by Richard Hudnut- I have just borrowed a great book about collecting perfume bottles-and the resemblance is striking.

Nicole79
Nicole79

Lou-Lou is the "LITTLE" sister of Poison indeed...
If u like Poison u will like Lou -lou also ;)
Very , very similar fragrances...
Strong, bold, so 80's...
I like it ..

Annah7
Annah7

I tested it two days ago on my wrist and I regretted it. It was soooo heavy, plastic and bitter that I could not take it... Not for me, even if used sparingly.

aromaminx
aromaminx

this fragrance should have on it 's packaging...WARNING; DO NOT APPLY LIBERALLY.the bottle is fabulous and the fluid contained within is not for a wallflower.............you have been warned.

if u want to feel SEXY try

perfumepromosince16

I recently have been paying attention to this one. Well at the moment I am on a diet and getting closer to my goal its getting harder. I am being taught about distraction tactics and have been turning to perfume. So today I caved and bought this one 30 ml edp and put it on and instant relief. So 'gourmand' ish, it makes it so I don't want to eat! I just want to smell this! Its more amazing than I remember it being and it does smell rich. Its so yummy and wonderful. So the morale of the story, its good if you are on a diet!

perfumepromosince16

had it as a teen and was just today even considering getting it again. It is not a teenage price! It holds its own in terms of value. Its a good one alright.

kittymoon
kittymoon

Loulou? - Oui, c'est moi! How much I wanted to be like her... And my friend Moon, who introduced me to that out-of-this-world scent. We were very young and we didn't have much experience with perfume those days. It was the must have scent of the scents of the 80th! I can't describe it. You need to smell for yourself.

guest_Noussie
guest_Noussie

I'm sorry but I really dislike this scent..
My grandma is wearing it often, also when I'm in the car with her, and it makes me so sick. I always open the carwindow to get some fresh air because I can't stand it! It not that it's too sweet of so, but it's just loud.. and stong :(

selinum28
selinum28

This one is a very good perfume, but also a lonely pleasure: it is a great experience, not an easy complement to a look. I also like it because it has the character of old Cacharel, away from Noa, Promesse and the very sad "freshness" of Scarlett.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Lou Lou is like Poison for me-it can be nice in small doses-but I don't really like it. This scent is bold, equally spiced and powdery sweet floriental-unique-but has a cheap (harsh) edge. I see how this could be horribly offensive, but I see how some people really love it too.

PávelHenry
PávelHenry

After knowing Lou Lou I could say:
"-Thanks God, I'll die happy ".

I feel myself flustered... pratically drunken!
Lou Lou is a punch that kicks me to a parallel world... magical!

Lady Love
Lady Love

It's funny but the first time i saw the light blue color bottle,I remember the Alice in the Wonderland dress, and in fact, the two bottles version are so strange, that seem to have been taken from a Fairytale.

Lou Lou is like Dior's Poison, don't smell the same but they are the type of scent that you love or hate. Both fragrances are extremely sweet and intense, very longlasting, both shares 9 notes, some of them are: plum, anise, and cinnamon; but i think poison is more woody and mature than Lou lou, who is more innocent and childlike.

For me Lou Lou is like an innocent child, trying to grow up and know who she is, lost in a strange Garden inside her mind, surrounded with a lots of flowers with intense fragrances calling her attention.

I love This! Lou lou is Magic to me!

jazz444
jazz444

I could smell LouLou for days on end. My sister wore it for years, and even when she overapplied it (easy to do), it calmed down enough to avoid an assault charge! Sillage is brilliant, and the bottle and packaging are equally so.

I wish more women (or even men) would wear this stunner.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

EVERYBODY had a bottle of this in my class at school, circa 1985 and even then I found it way too sweet! I have recently given it another sniff to dispel this 25 year old opinion but although I respect the mix, which has stayed pretty true to my nose since those days- I still can't wear it!! (more to do with the memories than the smell, I think)

JML LEE
JML LEE

i love this fragrance because its such a strange and unique smell its very sweet but in a dark way the vanila and the cinimon really stand out for me.great if your looking for a sweet but not candy sweet perfume

chemicalideas
chemicalideas

Totally hate this perfume- too heavy, too sickly, too sweet and smells horrible on me. I first smelled this when I was about 6 and recently took another whiff and I still hate it 13 years on. Gives me headache and makes me sneeze!

frenkuzumu
frenkuzumu

This perfume is one of my first lovers. My cousin used to use Lou Lou when I was 15 or 16. I can still smell her perfume. It's so unique. I strongly believe that if you like Lou Lou you are going to like Moschino Cheap&Chic

andrew85
andrew85

a masterpiece, so unique smell, incredible sexy, sofisticade. this masterpiece, my mother wore when i was a child, when i smell this, i remember my chilhood.... incredible fragrance from cacharel one of the best..... MASTERPIECE...

guest_Rashelle
guest_Rashelle

certainly not ruder than u mysticalili , ppl are free to speak out their mind & certainly not be restricted or recoiled by envious racist haters like u & the other fragrance _is_happiness , both of u are stupid drama queens

certainly not ruder than u mysticalili , ppl are free to speak out their mind & certainly not be restricted or recoiled by envious racist haters like u & the other fragrance _is_heaven ,both of u are stupid drama queens

Mysticalili
Mysticalili

LouLou is a desire for me. It gives me the most lovely memories from my childhood when I had more contact with my aunts. I´m not saying here that this perfume is for old ladies. No, no, no! It´s for all ages! For all the women with a sofisticated and elegant taste principally! This one is eternal!

Offtopic:
I agree with fragrance_is_happiness when she says “Also I think people should not be allowed to put up reviews if they have not even smelled the fragrance”

To guest_Rashelle: Can´t you see that you were even ruder with your words? Specially the final words?

To sofiapap: Girl, your review simply rocks! I couldn´t agree more. ;-) High five!

fragrance_is_happiness
fragrance_is_happiness

I wasn't going to add a review here as I am not a fan of this fragrance... its okay but not my style. But oh my god, wat rude review from lady venomtongue... seriously I was sooo offended reading it. Was it so necessary to say these things about a scent?? Really in very bad taste.

Also I think people should not be allowed to put up reviews if they have not even smelled the fragrance..nicole 79... just plain rude. its one thing to say you don't like a perfume, its another to say that without even sniffing it... anyway just my two cents

*sophi*

Those who believe it is horrible just do not wear this!Let the rest of us who believe it is unique and
wonderful to wear.Enjoy the spicy powdery classical scent of an unforgetable perfume.The revolutionary scent of '80s in a awesome bottle.Best of Best!!

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

Can't agree more with the respectable trueperfumelover & Mr.Guerlain members , a horrendous beyond disgusting nightmare in a bottle.
1st time i smelled it , instantly felt like a greasy gigantic gorilla is effortlessly raping me ( excuse me of my extremely inappropriate photographic words , just couldnt help it ),,,
please test it thoroughly before buying .
Indeed buyer discretion is Strongely advised .

www.brittxxx.nl
www.brittxxx.nl

I Use to work for a compagny from Karl lagerfeld.During modeling we sprayed this smell through the showroom.Everybody was in love with it!

guest_A.Rose
guest_A.Rose

Persephone- I like that it takes skill to pull-off wearing "Lou Lou" well; you feel like a chef preparing "Fugu". One slip of the hand and you've REALLY ruined someone's day; if done right, unforgettable tantilization is the result.

Persephone
Persephone

Undoubtedly, one of the most interesting and unique fragrances. It reveals a masochist in me. At once I feel like I'm going to vomit and want to smell it over and over again. If you can bear a colossal dose, it's great when you're going to a crowed restaurant and want a peaceful seat without bothering the hostess - it will clear space around you. Absolutely lethal if over-applied. Wonderful in moderation.

guest_femme fatal
guest_femme fatal

I can agree more with spa.It is the most wonderful,intense,sexy oriental perfume i have ever wore.
Although it have been released so many years ago,stil remains a unique and glamorous one.It was ahead of its age.Timeless one...

guest_A. Rose

...I have to step on my soapbox for one more moment, lest my "Lou Lou" becomes extinct because people don't understand what a rare bird she is. This is one of the most beautiful scents I've ever encountered, reminding me of classic 1920's-early 30's scents like Lanvin's "Arpege" and Jean Patou's "Chaldee", but like all great things, it comes on strong, is potent and can be overwhelming if not gently introduced to others. And it's not just a matter of nostalgic fascination for me, as I haven't even entered my 30's yet.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter if you're going to the opera or the office, proper application is KEY with "Lou Lou". You NEVER over-apply it or young children will run screaming from you and animals will drop out of the trees when you walk under them. This is not something you can liberally spray around you in a mist, like Cacharel's "Noa" or "Promesse". But some of the most beautiful, intoxicating things in the world are best enjoyed with moderation. One or two dabs behind the ears or one quick spritz at the nape of the neck; done. Apply it early enough before you leave, so it can meld with your skin. If you do, you'll be luxuriating in the smoothest, creamiest most polished blend of flowers, woods and resins, that it will smell like the olfactive interpretation of velvet, rubies, emeralds and sapphires. People will always remember you. Just make sure their memory of "Lou Lou" is a positive one.

guest_A. Rose

Intense, heady, intoxicating, vulgar in the most creative way, the opening of "Lou Lou" is like having a young stage actress run up to you after a show, all elegant but disheveled, yelling: "Look! Lilies!"...and proceeding to shove a bouquet of Asiatic lilies, boxwood, freesia and jasmine in your nose, quickly drawing it away. Once you get your balance back, you can smell a soft, smoldering, creamy incense rising off velvet. It's warm, deep green and reedy, reminding you of striking blends from the jazz age; unique works of art, lovely but everpresent.

"Lou Lou" almost wears like a mix of Guerlain's "L'Heure Bleue", Chanel's "Bois des Isles" and People of the Labyrinth's "Luctor et Emergo". It's fresh but dense, cherry-sweet but grassy and woody, smelling of fresh fruit, dried fruit, deep red roses, green lily stems, crunchy dried leaves, cinnamon and mace, vanilla and milk. And throughout the whole, wild ride, a chiffon-like powderiness tempers things, keeping it smooth and fluid, breezy and dewy, as if a dusky, sheer, royal blue wrap was running along the notes. Sexy, sexy but BIG in the way of personality.Like "Poison", "Opium", "Amarige" or "Hot Couture", "Lou Lou" is intensely beautiful and very distinctive but truly, "a DAB [or a spritz] will do ya'!" Really. This is a big scent that can swallow you and anyone within a 100 foot radius if not applied with tasteful discretion. But when it is applied properly; oh, how it sings. And although many people blanche at the bottle, I love it. So abtract, so celluloid Art Deco and what an exciting color combination. If you're ready for it, jump in. Enjoy!

guest_MAE
guest_MAE

I fell in love with this perfume in the late 80s and wore it for a number of years. Its scent was intoxicating --men frequently stopped me to ask what i was wearing because it was so unusual and captivating--they loved it and would often say " I would like to get some for my wife" Women also asked about it and wanted to buy it. I was heartbroken when it was taken off the market in Canada and the United States but then if resurfaced in Europe and the Middle East and is now again available in the US.

However I have to admit there were one or two people who hated it and found it overpowering--my brother was one--i gave it to his wife and he said it used to take away his breath --it got up in his nose and her couldn't even be around it. but to me it was definitely a signature scent

Zaleska

I tested it today (I remembered the smell, actually), and, what can I say? It's definitely a matter or love or hate.
I...love it!
Dark, exotic, spellbinding. I feel mystical, almost like a witch (beautiful, without warts or a broom, ok? haha)

Bewitching Factor (yeap, Cinsot, :D, I stole your idea): 10 out of 10.

Kittycat63

I had a big bottle of LouLou when I was a teenager and thought I was very sophisticated and grown-up when I wore it! However, god only knows why I thought it was good at first because I quickly grew to loathe the smell of it and it made me feel queasy whenever I wore it. In fact even the memory of that smell makes me feel slightly ill! It's a very unusual, quite pungent perfume and just not my style at all. It's one of those perfumes that I really hope I never, ever smell again because to me it's disgusting!!! Oh, and the bottle was always hideous and cheap looking but now the design has changed it looks even weirder and still horrible!

viveka
viveka

The most perfect perfume ever ♥
To me it's real first-sighted love which lasts till now (10 years, yeah!).
Perfect scent - very rich, sensual and mystery. I suppose that can be too much for somebody but for me this is intoxicating.
Loulou contains a lot of my fave ingredients like anise, violet, iris or cinnammon.
The bottle - maybe a little bit controversial and for some unpretty - it's ok - strange, mysterious and different than others like Loulou.
What else can I say - it's my One Big Love For Ever.

Zaleska

Well, I don't think it's "vulgar", "cheap", "stinky" and stuff.
I can say the same about Poison. Wonderful, but doesn't work on me.
I don't know if LouLou works on my skin. Gonna try it and after write something for you.

carolfonte
carolfonte

This perfume reminds me of my grandma when I was a child.
I remember this bizarre bottle sitting on her dresser.
All I could think while sniffing it with my young nose was "Ugh, it's so strong!"
and then "I wanna smell like grandma."
But I won't dare to use it. No, it's my grandma's smell.

felineluvr
felineluvr

Ladies, when you try this lovely juice on DO NOT judge it before the drydown! It can take your breath away when you first spray it on...but then wait for a bit and it will begin changing and turns into a gorgeous, sexy oriental and should give anyone an extra kick of confidence for sure! The drydown is definitely worth the wait. I love this stuff and will hopefully always have a bottle in my collection.

MoietToi
MoietToi

I think that the opening of this perfume was way too acid like and artificial. But then later it grew on me as the acid notes faded and it turned into a soft and rather sweet floral. But I like the dry down the most with the incense and the tonka beans and vanilla.

amelie
amelie

LouLou... I had a small bottle of perfume, was always too strong on my skin. But recognize it even in passing in the street. Just like Eden, this perfume is not easy to wear, a few drops is quite enough. For me one of the most beautiful oriental perfume. After wearing it, even days to feel the perfume on your hair and clothes, which is really unusual. Somewhat reminiscent of One Thousand and One Nights, so full of excitement and mystery.

posypusher
posypusher

considering the ingrediants i thought i would love this. upon first smell i recoiled and thought "too old fashioned"
however as the perfume sits on the skin it becomes more lovely as the deeper basenotes come through. i do not like the high top notes of this scent-too much.

moonruby
moonruby

This is a strange perfume.

its perfume emits dark floral notes reminding me of bleak fairy tales such as Hansel & Gretel trying to find their way in the woods following the eery moon light.

It's bizarre bottle is like an alien capsule that made its way to Earth by accident. At the same time, it reminds me of a Lego brick, so for anyone who has brothers - dont blame them if they mistake this as a toy.

ParfumOui
ParfumOui

I first fell in love with this scent about 10 years ago and still have the same bottle I bought back then. The fragrance has remained intact all these years and speaks to just how much quality work was put into creating this fragrance. It's a shame that it is now only available online and not in stores. I wonder why?

Lou lou blue
Lou lou blue

Lou Lou was my first love...and will ALWAYS be in my fragrance wardrobe.On my skin it is warm and creamy, with the most exquisite oriental aura that draws people in for a sniff.

Zaleska

My sister used to wear a deodorant spray of it when she was a teen, about 16 years. I loved the smell. I need to try it nowadays to see what happens.

allexa27
allexa27

it reminds me a lot of Poison-cinnamon,plum,tuberose.Heavy,dark,misteriously sweet and seductive.Lil bit retro but definatelly wearable these days too.I didnt like it at first but it grew on me and now i changed my opinion for Lou Lou.Worth a try for those who like Poison!
The bottle is very ugly and looks very cheap though...

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

Loulou is a creation, that I have tried so many times to appreciate even a tiny bit, but it stays an afwul composition for me.
I recognize it immediate when someone wears it, because it just "stinks", a nightmare for my nose.
I have once left a restaurant, where the woman next to me was perfumed with Loulou.
It was disgusting... .
I can't be more relieved that they discontinued it. A nightmare in perfume history!

perfume-intense
perfume-intense

First i didn't like it but it has grown on me. Its strong and poweful and at the same time sweet and cunning. It will make you feel special!

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

This is definitely in my top 10 perfumes for it is warm, seductive and sweet in a special gourmand way. The trick is not to get scared of the opening notes which are kinda overwhelming, but then the intoxicating trail says its word with the divine scent of cinnamon and vanila which linger on the skin for long hours...

P.S. I just got a bottle of Balahe and discovered great similarities with LouLou in the drydown. They actually have 11 notes in common!!!

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Oh,I had the 100ml prismatic bottle,the one we can see above and loved it.Nowdays they only produce the tottaly different,ugly 50ml flacon...

The scent has numerous ingredients similar to Poison.They are like sisters but I prefer Loulou.

It is exotic,dynamite-heavy but suitable for hot summer nights.I love the plum,the anise and the incense lingering on the skin.

I miss the original bottle so much!

grati
grati

Today I received another bottle; I haven't been using this one for about half a year. Well, I have to say it's just WONDERFUL... i simply love it, but most of all what i enjoy it's the heart of the perfume: it has something overpowering, yet innocent, a freshness that is very sexy at the same time.
It suggests a girl who has just become a woman, i guess...:) Congrats to the nose who made it:)

I've only recently discovered a love for sweet and intense orientals. Lou Lou in my personal opinion is not dated at all. The fragrance is unique, rich, womanly and desirable.

Lou Lou makes me think of the Taj Mahal and ancient India, even though I have never travelled there. The composition of beautiful flowers mixed with a powdery vanilla and incense base is delightful and enchanting.

There is an inviting warmth to this scent, that makes me want to cuddle up next to someone beside a warm fire while it's cold outside. Lou Lou manages to be both classy, luxiourous and glamourous while creating an aura of sensuality and mystery.

This scent has been known to be a little overpowering at times, so it's best if sprayed with a light hand. I find Lou Lou to be rather similar to Samsara by Guerlain and Angel by Thierry Mugler, so if you are a lover of those fragrances you should give Lou Lou a try.

morgataria
morgataria

Sometimes I hate it,sometimes I...like it.I loved loulou when I was around 12 years old and hadn`t smell on many perfumes.
I have it but it`s not often I feel to use it.It smells most nice after around 2 hours on your body.
Don`t wear this if you easily get headache!

knvixen
knvixen

I hate this with a passion. It is overly sweet and sickly, the sort of scent a little girl thinks is sophisticated and a grown woman knows is detestable. It is unbelievably overpowering and should only be worn by women of a certain sort who want to be noticed.

lynnroo
lynnroo

Well, when I was a little kid I remember falling in love with this one. So about 2 months ago, I purchased it without even trying. It was a big big mistake. I don't know why I liked it back then but I absolutely hate it now. It is the most intense scent that I know of. It is sickening. I really wanted to like it but that's impossible for me. It just grows on you even if you spray it only once. You can try to wash it off but sorry it doesn't go away either. It is a very old scent. So old that it can be described as rusty. Not for me at all.

I used to wear LouLou when I was around 16 which means many years ago... I managed to have a bottle, the one with the beautiful red stopper. My mother hated it, because she said it seemed a talcum scent for whores! mmm... she likes Anais Anais which I can't stand. For me LouLou was a very new smell, grown-up, extremely feminine and soft yet intense. I used to love classical ballet and the athmosphere of LouLou fitted the character of the powdered ballerina.
It reminded me of yellow Baby Shampoo Johnson's in the topnotes, while the rest of the composition was a cloud of powdery incense. It became so popular I lost interest in it. I will have a good sniff at my old bottle tonight for memories' sake :-)

The_Entity
The_Entity

What I like about LouLou, is that there are no other fragrances like it, nothing that I could compare it to.

A very unique and intense fragrance...but do avoid for an occassion like job interviews in a small stuffy room, as the fragrance can get overpowering...

alicektn
alicektn

I always wanted to smell this fragrance that is claimed to be legendary. For my suprise I found LouLou in a duty free shop at Schiphol airport, Amsterdam. It was a big opportunity for me to test it, at last!

The beggining was somewhat confused and I got dissapointed, I couldn't really understand it. Not attractive to my nose at all.

After a while, it transformed to a powdery fumey scent. Iris,incense and heliotrope were really prominent. Better, but not anything extraordinary.

But the drydown....Oh the drydown. One of the most breautiful and romantic around! Powdery and sweet, including incense,other mysterious resins, tonka and vanilla..Just divine!

------------------
SOME MONTHS LATER
------------------

I recently got a mini of LouLou and had the chance to try it more. My opinion has changed. Dramatically!

This time I adore the top notes. They are very sensual with a bunch of Ylang Ylang and anise, and also deep because of the middle notes I described before. After it settles in ,the sillage is light but not invisible.

The base notes remain my favorite.

What I also like about LouLou is the feeling of "real" and "expensive" ingredients. The Ylang smells like Ylang, the Vanilla like real edible vanilla. The incense is deep and fumey and the resins balsamic, while the orris root gives an earthy melancholic tone to the composition.

I'm so glad that I can find it easily at the airports and in e-shops.At the same time I'm sorry that I underrated this fragrance in the past, but it's never too late to appreciate the good stuff.

cora
cora

i had LouLou long time ago also. Absolutely loved it and i think i am going to buy it again.

jatzzie
jatzzie

I was so excited to find and try it in a perfume shop but was a little dissapointed.I love the bottle design for some reason, it's just so...pop artish and bold.I sprayed it on my wrist and at least on me, it smells very...well not that good...Kinda like one of those old lady perfumes.Maybe it just doesn't fit my skin type.

ramiske
ramiske

Wow! I used to wear this 20 years ago. I can't believe it is still around. I saw that is is being discontinued, so maybe I'll get a bottle for nostaligia's sake! It is definitely one of those signature scents because I've never found anything like it!

Σελήνη
Σελήνη

My mother had this fragrance and when i was a child i get a cute sample of it from my english teacher,i really loved it because the smell is so sweet and warm.Before some weeks i want to buy it but i can't remember exactly how it smells.When i got the Bottle i was surprised how much notes i smell out of this fragrance now.The beginning is very spicy and strong,i smell the cinnamon,the flowers and the anise,but after some minutes you smell the middle and the base notes very floral/sweet and warm i love the smell,it's like a cozy,warm bedcover.It's a very unique,classic fragrance and it last such a long time and i'm happy that i bought it.Good for the colder day's.

chocolate
chocolate

Having read all your reviews, I decided to give LouLou another chance -after a 15 years gap! I just got back home with my bottle and I am hooked. Nuppu, you are right, how did I let it go? It is sweet and sensuous, long-lasting, intriguing, sexy, unique, and brings back glorious memories I thought I had forgotten. Brill!

Abbas
Abbas

A unique and diffrent kind of purfumes that mekw one happy at one time and sad on another time it varies with the moods.
I like that purfume on last velentine i gifted to my teacher she liked it.

veruska
veruska

I order a big decant of Loulou sometime ago just for memory reasons,and when i spritzed on air, i travelled in time in mid-80's in my aunt's boudoir, looking with a kid's eyes her costume jewelery and her collection of hats. This haunting scent it's still very consistent but i would never reuse it, just because it casts a melancholic shadow around.Just sense the airy byt also earthy opening, i guess from iris, sweet dry lily that morphs in a glorious tuberose ( a flower that became an 80's trademark), with all the other slightly traditional heady white flowers like jasmine and orange blossom.Even the sandalwood feels real and luxurius in the hard times we live on.

mymlan
mymlan

One month ago I put a little spritz of Lou Lou on my wrist at the dept. store. I did it for sentimental reasons, suspecting it was too sweet and only for young women.

But to my surprise it totally captivated me and I just had to buy it. It is both extremely floral, sweet (in an intimate way) and there is also a complex scent of smoke deriving from the powdery orris root combined with anise incence and the the musky woody basenotes. Today I think this fragrance is aimed for the grown up woman who knows the power of her sensuality, rather than the innocent girl I was at the time when it was my signature scent.

Now I wear It at special occasions, but just a little to be put on in good time before the event. I totally agree with Nuppu. How could I ever have a 20 yrs rest from this awesome perfume?

perryforever
perryforever

I was never sure about this perfume. I had some copies of it as a teenager. Never quite got to grips with it. I had a love/hate relationship with the very strong fragrance. Because, back then, I did not know myself as a person I might go back to it now and see how it makes me feel.

KalteStern
KalteStern

Now that time has passed, and it isn't being worn by every third person you meet, it is worth a try if you like powerful, very loud, 'signature' oriental florals - but be careful about overdoing it for day wear: the intense, sweet notes are so strong and long lasting that people can literally get nauseated if you overdo it in a warm office. It will create an almost visible miasma around you all day, so not one for shrinking violets......

Malegria
Malegria

This one is a keeper. I am planning to get the biggest bottle I can find - first, cause I fall for sweet and powdery all the time, second, because it is unforgettable once you try it, and third - because it has everything good in it that was about the 80s.

liat
liat

Once upon a time this perfume had a very distinct campaign around here, so it became somewhat a mockery. That's a shame because the blend is very unique and long lasting (although it's very strong at first). On me it's spicy and warm, a great winter perfume which stays close to your skin for hours and hours for you to enjoy. It's more a "personal" fragrance than it is a "here I come" one, but to me, that's the beauty of it.

randik
randik

This scent was totally ruined for me when it first came out. A friend of mine over sprayed day after day - and it became completely nauseating.

Nuppu
Nuppu

Just have it once again, only 15 years gap in use, and can't understand how I ever let this lovely perfume a rest. It's like a vanilla velvet, rich, creamy and powdery. Like a slipping into dark wood four posted bed with lots of colourful silk pillows and thick velvet curtains. So sensual and pure luxury.

sandrina_bambina
sandrina_bambina

Legendary perfume, with touch of Orient in a modern way. Perfume for all times. I adore its beautiful composition with specific mix of flowers and fruits with powdery touch, strong spicies and balsamic and sweet resins. One of a kind! Stays long like a gourmand ruler.

2007
noor_jehan
noor_jehan

this is one of my favourites. i like its intensity and mystery. it is definetely not a usual composition, innocent and wild at the same time. when i smell it i have an image of explosion of colors. exquisite!

2007

LouLou by Cacharel 3.41 out of 5 based on 2216 ratings and 360 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Cacharel LouLou fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Cacharel LouLou, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify LouLou by Cacharel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of LouLou by Cacharel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.