Designers » C » Chypre Floral « Groups

Calvin Klein Calvin Klein for women
dislike

aldehydic
Calvin Klein Calvin Klein for women Pictures

Calvin Klein’s eponymous first fragrance, Calvin Klein, was presented in 1978. It is sometimes referred as “Calvin Klein Classic”, “Calvin Klein Original” and “Calvin Klein Red”, because of the red box in which it came. The fragrance is a soft, flowery and rosy chypre.

Top notes: aldehydes, peach, raspberry, hyacinth and gardenia. Heart: rose, jasmine, carnation, orris root and lily of the valley. Base: oakmoss, cedar, musk and amber.

Gardenia Hyacinth Peach Aldehydes Raspberry

Carnation Jasmine Orris Root Rose Lily-of-the-Valley

Musk Sandalwood Oakmoss Cedar Amber

Calvin Klein Fragrance Reviews

smellagent
smellagent

Just got a decant of this. I remember this one back in the day. Who knew it was gonna become scarce as hens teeth. Smelling this takes me back to discos and I remember it mostly on men. Yummiest of ck frags. They should bring this one back for sure.

butfly23
butfly23

I have tried to find this on the internet, unsuccessful.
Has anyone in the UK got this?
Can I have a sample?

Marie69
Marie69

Wow. This is a deep, green, trip. Velvet to the nose. A little like Creature, with a Boucheron feel maybe. To me this is feminine but rich.

Glinda
Glinda

Thank you for explaining this perfume to me complete with photos. This is my best friend's favorite and I have listened to her sadly reminisce. It is her birthday and I managed to sleuth down a bottle with luck and this site. I am thrilled to give it to her! I will add photos when she opens present to add to this perfume profile.

I love this site and didn't know it existed.

michael.j
michael.j

This was such an insanely beautiful creation. Of course I'm relying solely on childhood memories of how much this enchanted me, but oh my how it enchanted me.

dknj1202
dknj1202

This was the first perfume I bought with my own money. I had the powder and perfume and I kept it for the longest time. How I wish they still sold this. In my opinion, the best Calvin Klein. Very woodsy, almost masculine yet amazingly delicious. I would love to find it again!

brian.cloutier1
brian.cloutier1

What A Distint Classic Fragrance it really stands alone.....Like it could be Lauren sister of Ralph Lauren I think also released in 1978, Some Real Excellent time wining fragrances release that year.......A truly treat of a fragrance to wear, why do a the Best always become....."Discontinued"....How Sad!

3cats
3cats

Along with Cristalle, this was my favorite in the late 70's and early 80's, and still is today. I had a CK dress the color of its box, and it was the most sophisticated scent to me at that time, and still ranks amongst my top. A chypre, but different from the older classics my mother owned. A beautiful rose. It might seem hard to believe I wore it in the office, during the day, but remember those were the days of Opium and Giorgio Beverly Hills, and CK was modest by comparison

After a hiatus of almost 15 years, I've found vintage bottles of both the cologne and parfum online. Although expensive, the prices do vary by up to 30%, so shop around. The scent, the minimalist bottle, the packaging: exquisite. Try at least a decant. IMHO, "this" should be the eponymous Calvin Klein fragrance.

cryptic
cryptic

So glad this one was added to the database! My mother used to have a little round container of the Calvin Klein solid perfume. That magical red plastic doohickey was what made me fall down the rabbit hole that is perfumelove. Sadly, it's been so long that I can't remember exactly what it smelled like, other than that it was glorious and somehow different from the other perfumes on my mother's dresser -- that's a chypre for you.

Not long ago, I was reading a biography of Calvin Klein that talked about the launch of this, his first fragrance. Turns out, CK was offered what would become Lauren and rejected it in favor of this scent. He ended up kicking himself because Ralph made a mint off his sloppy seconds. Such is life in the perfume world.

avonman
avonman

I am very lucky to have a bottle of this precious juice in my hands as I write this (thanks to the ebay gods!!) This is the perfume I would always have my mom spray on from the tester bottle at Marshall Fields in the late 70s' (I was too young to afford to buy it for her yet!) it may have been launched in the winter because I remember that each time we did this, my moms' winter scarf would then smell of this for weeks after! O.K. now the scent.. sniff..sniff..aahhh..This is undoubtably first and foremost all about The Rose.. which is splashed with a little bit of peach juice and then it's surrounded in a light cloud of spices and woods..Sooo Beautiful and Sophisticated...The Masterpiece in the burgandy box simply titled Calvin Klein!

krmarich
krmarich

This is it! The only thing CK ever made that was worth anything. I have been trying to remember the name and the bottle. A school mate wore this before Obsession stole its attention and I loved it. Yes, when it hit the market, it was just anothe chypre. It was what all the cool girls were wearing at the mall. The chypre was young again.

CK was so innocent and good at this time. No endless flankers, worthless reformulations and a massive push to sell the next assembly line production. It is so hard to find anywhere. I guess it can remain a memory that I will always love. I wonder if there is a plan to relaunch it? I am sure it would be unrecognizable...

Update 4/25/2016-
I just obtained a rare, "years of searching" bottle of this now lost classic. This has as much oakmoss as vintage Mitsouko and one of the best rose/carnation notes I have ever experienced. This takes its place with Halston, Lauren and Opium as the defining late 1970s masterworks of perfume. "Nothing can come between me and my Calvins." It so beautiful its beyond words!

Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein 4.44 out of 5 based on 45 ratings and 11 user reviews

Calvin Klein IN2U eau de toilette for women 3.3 oz
Calvin Klein One Red Edition For Her Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Sephora.com, Inc.
Calvin Klein One Summer 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Calvin Klein One Summer 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Calvin Klein Calvin Klein fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Calvin Klein Calvin Klein, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.