Designers » C » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Obsession Calvin Klein for women

Obsession Calvin Klein for women Videos Obsession Calvin Klein for women Videos
Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures Obsession Calvin Klein for women Pictures

Obsession by Calvin Klein is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Obsession was launched in 1985. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Guichard. Top notes are green notes, mandarin orange, vanilla, peach, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are spices, coriander, sandalwood, orange blossom, jasmine, oakmoss, cedar and rose; base notes are amber, musk, civet, vanilla, vetiver and incense.

Green Notes Mandarin Orange Vanilla Peach Basil Bergamot Lemon

Obsession for Men

Obsession Fragrance Reviews

Bublegum
Bublegum

I think I need to resmell this one but at my skin is very similar to Shalimar. Consequently, I believe that if someone loves Shalimar, s/he will also like this one. Maybe of course it is my skin that makes this strange reaction. Of course, Obsession shares 11 common notes (out of 20) with Shalimar so it didn't really surprised me. At my skin I could smell the vanilla and something else sweet, but not any spices or citruces as described by other users. For faireness I won't leave any like or dislike and I will try to find another version of it to try, but until then, it will still remind me of Shalimar.

Rebemario
Rebemario

Ok friends, I bought a vintage for a steal on the "bidding place" and at first sniff was like "Oh! This smells like my 8th grade year, totally eighties! Loving it! It was great in a way that took me back and yet that was not all. I am a huge fan of amber, balsam, spice, vanilla so I also appreciated the notes, the clever play in blending, beautifully crafted, a real homage to the creations of the 80s which I actually thought a little "bodacious", big shoulders and what not, but encountering it now, it was a masterpiece of its time, and well deserved.

For the sheer curiosity and the availability of a spray nozzle(my vintage is a splash) I purchased the "new one", "reformulated one", you know, the devil in fragrance world….and I have to say comparing the two, for me it was actually not a bad job in reformulation. I did notice that the original had a more creamy opening like it was 1 hour dried down on initial application, so beautiful but the new one has something else.

I experience something surprising, as some of you have said, there's vetiver, green, herbal notes in the opening as well as wood and spices ramped to the max. You can still sense that old Obsession, its just trying to make its way in this new world of fragrances, maybe trying to keep up with newer fashions and modern times of smart phones and in fragrance may I venture trying to compete with complicated fragrance. I think it is different but it is still beautiful and would spray a mass amount on myself so I can enjoy my smell all day! I would recommend, it is beautiful!

Edit: Hi, Im back again on this one, ok, after spending a few days with the new reformulation, I still say it is a pretty scent with a very pretty dry down, but its the lack of staying power that is the major difference. I found myself reapplying 3 times in one day. At home, I sprayed on my vintage and the smoothness lasted for many hours. Its too bad the new reformulations don't have the ingredients that make them lasting...

Kat von E
Kat von E

I love this Obsession A LOT! I blind purchased it a few weeks ago and it was a love at first sight! Its my favorite with Cacharel Lou Lou and I even were those two together when a go out in the evening (how crazy is that!).

francie79
francie79

I recently discovered this scent and it's something that I had been looking for. Vanilla, incense and musk...what's not to love! It also has amazing sillage and a spray or two will last you all day. I will not be without this from now on.

twoteacakes
twoteacakes

Alara and fire2heart below nailed this in their reviews. This is my favourite skin scent ever, though I only just discovered it. Soft, spicy, melds into your skin almost instantly and smells like its been on for hours. I definitely get the similarity to Tolu by Ormonde Jayne, the pencil shavings note I can detect in the opening which is in Tolu ( and more apparent in Ta'if) but it very soon dries down to a warm musky amber, The civet makes the amber a little dirty, and reminds me very much of Balmain Ambergris at this stage. It's comforting but does have a sexy, dirty edge. The final stage is like eating my favourite comfort desert, a sticky toffee pudding, with a little spice. Vanilla goodness warming my soul. I find this sits close to my skin but for the reasonable price of this I intend to douse myself in it, so that I can immerse myself in it's glory. Too bad for those who dislike it, I don't care.

jake.shouse

Very nice smell does have a wood shaving note and very sweet but i like it for winter.

Calatea
Calatea

I first smelled this fragrance in summer of 1985 in New York... A friend of mine worked for a PR agency that did CK campaign and they all got these little splash perfume bottles... This was simply divine.
The present formula does not remind me of this smell at all. Absolutely at all. I still can't understand how they could ruin such a milestone of perfumery.
Sometimes in the department store I reach for an Obsession bottle in hope to find this distant memory, as I cannot believe the real thing is gone, but alas...

fire2heart
fire2heart

I can't believe it has taken me this long to own Obsession. I've had Opium, I've had Poison, I even had Cher back in the 80's, but not Obsession. Until now!

I found a full vintage 3.4 oz bottle on eBay for a steal of a price and it just arrived today. Sprayed once on the back of my hands and once on my decolletage and whew! Such a familiar scent, even though I had not worn it before. I love the spicy amber that it settles into. It's comforting and memory invoking at the same time.

The top notes fade very quickly, perhaps because it's the older juice. And it seems to get stronger as time goes on. 45 mins after spraying it, I'm almost choking and that is with only 2 sprays! Ah, but choking in the most delicious way!

It is definitely a skin scent and much better on the skin as opposed to being on clothing. It develops so much better on the skin so that the mid and bottom notes can come out to play and isn't screeching because it is stuck in the top notes on the fabric.

I'm sure my husband will hate this so I have to only wear it when he isn't around. Unfortunately, he likes floral scents on women and I like spicy orientals. It's rare we find a happy medium where perfume is concerned, hahaha!

whaea
whaea

How did I overlook this one?
I've enjoyed the orientals everyone wore in the 80s - Youth Dew, Opium.. but this one was hiding out at the back of the class. I think I confused it for Georgio or Escape for some reason, neither of which I like much... anyway...
My girlfriend wafted in one day smelling of my beloved L'Occitane Amber oil (discontinued, alas) and I was so excited - "Oh it's Obsession" she said.
So off I went to test it - and I tried it more than once. Sometimes it smelt too cat pee at the beginning, but sometimes not - what was going on?
Regardless, it dried down to a soft, ambric, spicy veil of sexiness, almost a dead ringer for my amber.
I ordered a bottle and luckily it seems to be of the variety that does not have the urine stink - sharp, yes... almost acrid, but very shortly followed by the ginormous spice and amber I adore.
I don't care if I smell like the equivalent of Kylie Minogue in knickerbockers or some shoulder-pad wearing over coiffed tart from Dynasty. I love this. I can't believe it was there all along...

bethqueenofdarkness
bethqueenofdarkness

I love it and I have worn this for many years

acwalsh1
acwalsh1

Im obsessed with obsession , its such a mix of scents, can be a bit overwhelming at first spray then mellows down to a beautiful sensual smelling perfume , im no good with notes , but i love the spicy kick this beauty gives and the vanilla dry down is delish, i feel confident wearing this and powerful ,for me this is a feel good perfume im calling this a keeper ♥ it,,,,

lmlovespapa

I'm in completely agree with the post below, vintage Obsession is a work of art, new Obsession is just WRONG like bugspray, go on ebay and hunt for an original bottle with the caramel cap with gold ring, or if your REALLY lucky get your hands on a kidney shaped splash bottle from the 80's.

moonprismpower
moonprismpower

There are very few scents I truly hate and can't deal with but oh god, the reformulation of this is so terrible and disgusting. Sharp, synthetic, stinging artificial cinnamonny spice, slightly plasticky and waxy like a scented holiday candle, and a surely synthetic but strangely still revolting and dirty toilet-ish civet note. I haven't smelled the original since I was a kid but I remember it as a warm, spicy, pleasant scent. This new Obsession is not that. Coty destroyed Obsession.

KDJ
KDJ

When I smell this from the bottle I get the nice herbal smell from the basil. When I spray it on, I get this burst of intense spice. I don't necessarily like the opening but then it eventually mellows down into this wonderful, comforting vanilla mixed with the insence and sandalwood. Good fragrance!

Alara
Alara

I love synchronicity and how it makes me pay attention to people, events and changes in perception.

I was pondering Obsession because I read that it shares a similarity with Ormonde Jayne's Tolu, a fragrance which I love in oil form but it is seriously out of my price range at the moment.The alcohol version isn't as rich and opulent to my nose.

It might not be in the official notes but Tolu contains civet and Linda Pilkington mentions it in interviews online.

Anyhow, back to Obsession and synchronicity.

I've met a man during a Mercury Rx period that left a strong impression on me and on the day I was reading reviews of Obsession he said; you know, what we're doing here...some people might call it obsession.

And that was it, BAM! I bought it.

I have the reformulated version, without the golden ring, so I can only imagine the depth or the original perfume.

The top notes are indeed similar to Tolu by OJ, although comparing the note listing side by side, one might not think that.

I get basil and bergamot that melts into a spicy, amber ladden pudding fairly quickly. The civet is prominent during the most intense stage and it ends with an ever so slightly sweet amber, powdery scent that is the stage that's easiest to love and pleasant to most people.

Obsession has an intruiguing start, a civet rich, spicy middle that is both repulsive and bewitching at the same time and a smooth, soft finish that makes you feel like it was surely worth it..

I wouldn't call it pretty, I wouldn't call it innocent, it's a difficult fragrance to wear and I've had people think my son farted or pooped while we were out because they could smell my perfume, not kidding.

But the great aspects of it need the dirty ones because they accentuate each other and, to me, the obsessive, co-dependent relationship between the hard and easy notes is what makes Obsession worthy of its name. :)

The man in question and myself had spent time together that was intense, ugly and beautiful at the same time.

Things happened while we were in each other's company that were extremely painful and sad for both of us. We saw the worst sides of one another's character.

We're in limbo now...and I am not sure we will reach the smooth, soft, powdery amber stage that Obsession arrives to every time I spray it on my skin. Was it worth it, it sure was.

Obsession takes me on a fantastic scary, ride; not the one from an amusement park, but a ride through my own shadow side, the bad, scary, painful. It makes me face it, learn from it, grow because of it.

It will always be intertwined with the memories made while I wore it, while he wore it in my company, even the video ad with the chess game made me laugh because the man I met is an avid chess player.

If I had to assess a planetary energy to Obsession, it would surely be Plutonian, with a dash of Saturn.

Sorry for the cathartic review.

Decodawn

ATTENTION ALL CALVIN KLEIN OBSESSION LOVERS - 100 ml Bottle - £24.99 is currently on SPECIAL OFFER from THE PERFUME SHOP in UK. Until 9th July 2014. Normally £66.00. If you love Must de Cartier, Shalimar and other Amber, Spicey Fragrances this is an excellent buy. Ideal to put away for Christmas. Fantastic perfume, very long lasting, therefore not a 'spritzer' Vanilla, amber, cinnamon and spice. Do not judge the initial waft but have a little patience and Wait half an hour for the fragrance to develop you will not be disappointed. Like a warm cashmere sweater. Ideal for Autumn/Winter but can be worn all year round.

Opening-Note
Opening-Note

I LOVE this perfume! It is a very strong scent, and I find that a little goes a long way. I especially love it during the fall/winter. It is a fragrance that one either loves or hates; my sister had it and hated the scent of it, but I love the warmth of it and can't resist wearing it when I'm in the mood to be a little bit indulgent. It can have sort of an "old lady" scent to it, but I love dated smells, so it doesn't bother me.
All in all, Obsession is a definite staple of mine when the leaves start to fall.

diego.lesgart

One of my first designer s parfums ... Obs man and woman are very similar, almost the same fragance ... like a liqueur ... gorgeous an unforgettable air ...

yvankraft
yvankraft

Obsession is dirty, obscene, old fashioned, carnal beyond the limits a perfume should be... But... It is marvellous!

auroramaria
auroramaria

I am wearing this beauty today it is behavin well eveni in the summer heat it is so sweet and powdery makes you smell lovelyi th is a classic i cannot do without

pretty mini collector
pretty mini collector

I have both the parfum and the EDP, and I use the EDP more often. The scent and longevity are about the same, though the drydown on the parfum is less powdery and of course the first spray is less sharp thanks to less alcohol, but otherwise, there's not much difference.

Obsession is my obsession. I love this scent. It's very complex. Not too floral, but still very feminine. To me, this isn't a power scent; it's sensual and very come-hither.

It's candlelight, tarot cards, and a full moon. It's mysterious but very warm. It pulls you in and when it lets you go, you'll think it was all just a dream.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I like this one in spite of its flaws: heavy, too spicy, dated and way too 80s retro. Still some women can pull all this off with the right attitude.
My memory of Obsession is this:
I worked at a very fancy restaurant in Orange County in the early 90's. The hostess was tall, thin, very tan with wild long dark red curly hair. She would douse herself with Obsession before her shift and walk in giving it off in waves. She looked and smelled so hot no one seemed to mind.

Augustarina
Augustarina

I am mystified and disappointed! I tested this over 20 years ago and it gave me a headache. Decided to test it today in a drugstore, and all I could smell was cinnamon, very overpoweringly for about an hour. After 2 hours, it still smells faintly of cinnamon, but is almost gone. But no other note came to me. How weird is that?

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

10 years ago it was my only beloved Obsession. Rich, mega longlasting and complimented by everybody around me. Unfortunately as the years passed by my taste has changed so much that now i can't stand Obsession anymore. It smells on me like huge furry civet. I can't even smell other ingredients.
It's still beautiful perfume, i believe it can make magic on the right person but it's just not for me anymore.

villey91
villey91

Just got a big new bottle of this I ordered few days ago. I just love this scent. It's such elegant oriental. Some people say it's 80's perfume, but for me it's evergreen. Not classical like some say, but definitely evergreen and nostalgic.

Tho I have to say; It would do very well without the oakmoss part. It makes it somewhat "aftershavy". But at least I can handle it. Especially when applying some vanilla bodylotion after shower before spraying this 3-5 sprays.

Not a must-have-scent but definitely a Good-to-have-scent ! Keep an open mind and give it a try.

Avoria

So in three months I've finished a 30 ml bottle due to my deep love for this perfume. Had to buy a bigger one immediately, it arrived today and now sits so beautifully on the perfume shelf.

Once again I have to say how lovely this scent is. So spicy and rich yet creamy with the vanilla and discreet musk. This scent reminds me of a power women in the 80'ies. My husband calls me ginger bread (but in a good way) when he smells it on me. I'm leaning more towards India and chai tea.

However - this is by far one of the best perfumes ever made in my opinion :-D

Mango Plantation
Mango Plantation

How do I love thee, let me count the ways ~
Mmmm, absolute heaven in a bottle. Crazy madly love. So softly spicy and warm, so beautiful and sexual and inviting. Never fails to attract noses from men, women and kids! Drives men bonky on a date - the only sad thing, EVERYONE and their dog wore the crap out of it! Most people that were born in the 70's recognize it immediately, everyone else finds it familiar. When you tell them the name, they all say "Oh yeah!". While I adore it and want to be buried with it like King Tut and his Harley Davidson, I don't really enjoy being a 'sheeple'. I'd much rather be an individual, than one of the crowd. So while I will MOST DEFINITELY keep it and WILL repurchase as to NEVER be without, I am looking to replace it as my cool weather signature scent. :(

lorililly

If this scent were a season, it would be CHRISTMAS! The spice, the richness, the warmth, the joy. I love it! It is great with my chemistry. I LOVE oriental type fragrances, but this has something sexy....an apple pie/cinnamon note to it. It has to be in my collection, even if it is just a 0.5 oz bottle.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. Cinnamon, civet, amber and vanilla. This one's a civet bomb on me. Opening is loud and sharp but it does calm down pretty quickly and move closer to the skin with moderate projection. Longevity is moderate on my skin. If your love is in the vein of Youth Dew by Estee Lauder with that thick creamy amber, definitely give this one a try.

Lotto.Lupus
Lotto.Lupus

It's a lovely feminine scent, but reminds me of Biagiotti's 'Roma' when it comes to Oriental spices and also some outdated vintage perfumes. Definitely not my perfume. I prefer its fresh counterpart, Night Obsession. Now that's a scent that sends shivers up my spine!

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Sex on legs. My legs, specifically: I feel like the sexiest woman on the planet when I wear Obsession. Obsession is a minidress worn with broken-in engineer boots, the ones that give you that ass kickin' walk. It's all heat.

Heatherc47
Heatherc47

This was my 3rd grade music teacher's signature scent. I remember loving the smell of her classroom and have good memories of her. I liked her perfume so much that I asked for a bottle for Christmas in 3rd grade. (What 3rd grader asks for a bottle of perfume??? lol) I am sure there might be a few folks on here actually :)

In any case, this classic fragrance is probably a bit too heavy for me in reality but every time I smell it, I am reminded of my teacher and opening that beautiful box on Christmas... It is a nostalgic scent for me and I can still remember exactly what it smells like. Pure unadulterated, creamy sandalwood... I am 37 now and I still have a soft spot for this perfume. I just might pick up a bottle for when I am feeling daring....

redrapturelove

For an exquisite blend try combining obsession with a few drops of tabu. Heavenly!!!

loonad
loonad

well i have to say that only fools never change their minds-in 2012 i bought a small 30ml bottle of obsession.on the 1st spray my eyes burnt,my nose was pricked and i had an intense headache.i wore it for a night wedding and felt nauseated.my mum however loved it and so i passed it on to her.she has used it sparingly since then.
tonight on fragrantica i stumbled upon rosenbloom's review of obsession.i gave this another try.one spray is all it took to make me fall in love with this.i don't know what has changed,is it me or is it something different with the bottle?i'm totally clueless.i just know that i adore this perfume and plan on purchasing my own bottle of obsession.
the incense,amber and vanilla just won me over.

bonnie52
bonnie52

I love Obsession! I really feel I get my moneys worth with the rich, warm, long lasting scent. I used to work with a man who told me he was obsessed every time i wore it! I only have a little left and am saving it for special occasions.

chrisndema
chrisndema

scentpanther your review is hilarious. i'm a lover of spicy frags, so what can i say i luv it! How come i never heard of it before?

Bella1
Bella1

If you are a lover of the original
You will be very surprised at the
Change. Sprayed it in Macy's, sadly
disappointed, it didn't even resemble
The original. I guess it develops beautifully
In the dry down, but I threw the test strip
Out In the first trash can.

ScentPanther
ScentPanther

There is a small, uncharted island off of the coast of Ghana where a certain species of tarantula spider flourishes. This particular spider, a monstrous, hairy, aggressive thing, is particularly feared for its deadly bite, and ability to pounce up to 3 meters and attack at the slightest provocation.

It's venom is truly the stuff of nightmares. In addition to agonizing pain, convulsions, and fever, victims, unless properly treated, should they survive, are damned to a life of unending madness. Violent delusions, terrifying hallucinations, severe paranoia, and an inexplicable craving for twinkies, life after a bite is truly a living death.

Calvin Klein keeps a hundred, perhaps more of these guinea pig sized monstrosities in a well secured greenhouse hidden away on his personal estate, a reminder of his youth, when he was a highwayman roaming the coast Africa, and as a mean of punishing his enemies, and competitors. Their keeper, a stranded sea pirate he rescued over 30 years ago, by the name of Hubert, has survived over a dozen bites, and while his sanity is somewhat questionable, he has not fallen into the state of uncontrollable savagery and flesh hunger that the victims of the spiders' bite are usually cursed to.

His secret? Obsession Eau de Parfum.

Lillitth
Lillitth

Ah Obsession. My forgotten love. Please forgive me, I'll never abandon you again. My best friend and I wore this in the 90's. I had forgotten all about it until lately and decided to buy a vintage bottle just to keep in my collection. At first spray I thought "why did I like this? It smells so much like Old Spice!" But after that first blast of spice and civet, it mellows to an intoxicating creamy, sweet-spicy unforgettable smell. On men, Obsession drives me crazy. I had a boyfriend who wore the men's version and it clung to his sweaters in the winter making me want to eat him alive. Definitely a cold-weather scent in my opinion. It's just made for cozy sexy nights in front of a fireplace. Or slow dancing. This yummy warm fragrance is a legend and has earned it's place in perfume history. This is a VERY strong, long lasting perfume. I can still smell the spicy vanilla on my skin for 12 hours after the first spray. My husband says "it's a solid 8".

xclairabellax
xclairabellax

Can someone tell me what is special about the flatter looking bottle? the last picture in the collection on the right? Thanks.

asurafu
asurafu

Although for women, I wear it in office and smells good! Especially the spicy vanilla scent!

Avoria

After thinking about this perfume for some years I now finally bought a bottle and I am totally in love. It sits perfectly on my skin and I think I am going to develop an obsession...

It is a warm, spicy scent with alot of apricot and musk on my skin. It is long lasting and changes over time. If I spray my wrists in the evening I'll wake up smelling a smooth vanilla and musk scent that is just adorable. I'm in love!

marina120
marina120

Finally I have found a perfume that lasts on me for hours!!!! Very agreeable scent.

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

I bought this based on the reviews here and on initial spray I was very upset as all I got was eau de louis the fly ( Australian reference to popular fly spray)
However I came back to it at half hour intervals and found, on me, it takes about 90 minutes to settle and soften. Once it does it's a 1940's femme fatal in a trench coat and red lipstick, looking sultry and sexy. I am reminded if Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. It's deep, sensual and sexy, with a hint of promise and a whimsical smile. Ideal for evening, or cold winter days by the fire. Not ideal for fresh summery days. One of the best yet

lorililly

I remember when everyone was wearing this, and Poison, and all of those "Power" fragrances in the 1980's. I always thought it smelled fantastic! I caught a whiff of it again a few years ago and had purchased a small bottle. I wore it on Thanksgiving, and I loved the warm,spicy,exotic aura. I have noticed that some women spray this on a bit heavily, and it really does not take much at all. It is a classic and I would really like another small bottle to keep in my collection again in the future.
A friend of mine wore this for years and her entire living room smelled like this...like she had a candle of "Obsession" burning somewhere. It wasn't overwhelming or heavy, just warm and wonderful!

ForrealMe2
ForrealMe2

Reformulated version: at first spray this was insainely delicious with the cinnamon spice but then on the next spray the herbelness of it came out and it turned too masculine..the new formulation of this for women is like the Men's form of the vintage i say because i gave my husband the vintage mens and i remember it smelling the same...i have got to smell the vintage again because i can't stand the new version..that herbal note instead of it remaining sweet like i remembered kills it and turns it too sharp for women..but it is of better quality than most frags today it lasts forever but i am sure not as long as the vintage

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

I think it is a beautiful classic, very sultry.

SamTheRiddler
SamTheRiddler

I have tried this perfume a few times now (the re-formulation), as the description sounds right up my alley (warm spicy/balsamic/woody/amber etc...)

I think it reacts with the chemistry of my body terribly though - it smells awful on me. I actually find it repulsive. The civet seems to overpower everything else, and it was a spicy, sulphurous, repugnant mess. It smells like a dragons lair. In a bad way, I mean.

I'm quite sad that this doesn't work for me, as I really do want to love it!

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

How have I only just discovered this? It is amazing!
For some reason I had confused this with a different scent, and had it in mind it was a fruity sweet perfume and always overlooked it in the shops. But I noticed that time and again when I was looking at fragrances on here, it was there at the side, people who liked this also liked obsession...so, seeing as my "buy less perfume" resolution is already in tatters when I saw a 30ml going cheap I decided to give it a whirl. And I am so glad I did, this stuff is LOVELY!

I am not sure of the age of mine as it was through an online discounter. It says "coty prestige" on the bottom of the box, and has oakmoss listed as an ingredient. The lid does not have the gold band round like the main pic it is like the photo at the side instead. If this makes any difference.

Anyways, the perfume.
This opens with a green scent of fresh cut grass, and is quite strong but not sharp. I can also smell the oakmoss here, and over the first 5 or so minutes the fresh cut grass smell turns more like hay (is this the coumarin? I am sure I read somewhere that it smells like hay?), so for the first maybe 20 minutes I get grass-into-hay, peach, oakmoss, a touch of bergamot...just as it begins to feel it may soften the spices and civet kick in with the peach and oakmoss and the "hay" type scent and this becomes warm, spiced, rich, a bit sexy. Very nice. These notes seem to settle for the next hour or so with the incense creeping in, giving it, to me a rich leathery tobacco note which I absolutely adore. The vanilla starts to make its presence known after maybe 90 minutes and I just cannot help but keep sniffing at my wrist...
After a couple of hours the civet and the early notes seem to fade into the background and I get a musky, warm, gently spiced smoky vanillary sandalwood thing going on. I still get the leathery tobacco note that reminds me a little of Chergui.
Several hours later the drydown if soft, warm, comforting, clean, delicious, oh this is lovely! The jasmine is here now, clean and white, along with musk, sandalwood, amber and vanilla with the faintest smoky note.

This is really beautiful. I can't believe I have only just found this! Please don't tell me this has been discontinued or reformulated!

Longevity seems good, I applied my small test spray to my left forearm at about 11am, 10 hours later I can smell it softly from about 3 inches from my skin. Sillage seems fairly soft, but that is going from a test spray under my woolly jumper (which smells awesome now!)I think this is going right up there as one of my favourites!

Edit: So I decided to buy myself a back up bottle of this, online. When it arrived I was disappointed to see no oakmoss or treemoss in the ingredients list. I checked the batch code/production dates online and think it may have been inaccurate as it stated my 30ml with oakmoss was made in may 2011 and my 50ml without in feb 2011.
Anyway, I decided to spray the with oakmoss on my right arm and the without on my left.
Initially, the opening blast of with oakmoss was much richer, the cut grass and hay smell much more dominant. The without, had no real clear grass, hay or green notes. The civet smell was more dominant on my right arm too. Over the first hour the difference was noticable. The with oakmoss forulation was rich, deep, atmospheric, strong sillage, just beautiful. Without version...pleasant, a nice perfume, but just lacking that punch.
After the first hour or two they settled fairly similar, the without version having slightly less oomph and depth and slightly less projection.
At the 8 hour stage there was little in it.
After about 9-10 hours a difference emerged, the with oakmoss version continued to prject gently a rich, deep, mutlifaceted beautiful scent, the without version was much paler and insipid in comparison,
Following morning I could still smell it faintly the with oakmoss version, in fact in all it lasted 24 hours until I got in the shower. The without had all but vanished, perhaps a scent memory with my nose pressed to the skin?

Conclusion: Get a version with oakmoss if you can! it is undoubtedly the better perfume, the composition being so much richer, fuller and more rounded with better longevity and projection.
However, had I not smelled the with oakmoss version I would still have fallen for this perfume, even without oakmoss it is a very nice scent.
I am going to save my little 30mls of awesome for special and use the 50ml for more day to day wear.

willfulmissconduct
willfulmissconduct

Personally, I still love this scent. Unfortunately, it is right up there with Poison, Eternity, Escape, Angel and a few others that are just too identifiable to be enjoyable. I like a little mystery to my scent. I like it when someone asks me what I am wearing. I don't like it when someone exclaims, "Oh....you are wearing..." Yeah, you smell like a million other women who pass by. With the billions of scents that are out there today.... and more on the way each day.... there has to be some other scent you can find for a signature scent. The options are limitless.

zzMaja
zzMaja

Wow - this stuff is lethal. Be careful - men seem to love it. Women seem to shun other women who wear it. The sillage is tremendous so be careful. I do love it, but I wore it so much when it was very popular that I cannot tolerate it. I have become over sensitive to it. Just use a bit. It goes a long way !

dbrii24
dbrii24

Obsession is truly remarkable. It's one of the original headturners in the fragrance world and certainly one of my favorite amber based fragrances. It's bold, sexy and downright intoxicating! I have adored this fragrance since I was in my late teens but back then I felt like it was too grown up for me. I recently stumbled upon it again while shopping and 10 years later the love is still strong. I bought a small bottle on sight and it's been keeping me warm throughout winter in the midst of this polar vortex madness. It's very mysterious and comforting; like the feel of an expensive cashmere sweater on bare skin. It's pure seduction in a bottle. A+

StarAnGeL
StarAnGeL

This has been a fav since high school and always will be. I don't use it as much. But it will always be on the top of my list! The men's version is my favorite to. My hubby puts this on, oh my god its amazing!!! ;-)

CeciliaKu
CeciliaKu

Obsession, a true masterpiece.

This fragrance is everything that you could ever want in an oriental. It's spicy, warm, incensey, sensual, beautiful, rich and utterly breath-taking.

Unfortunately Obsession does tend to turn away a lot of people with its opening, which is indeed very heavy and thick, almost polluting the air. However, I cannot urge others enough to let this fragrance develop, because that's where the real magic lies.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

I guess I love amber. this is an all time favorite of mine, though I prefer to wear the man's version as opposed to the womans. I think the woman's version is a tad too sweet. You have to wear just the teeniest dab not to be overwhelmed by it. There is a sultry earthiness to this. I think the base notes drown out some of the top & middle notes (except vanilla) It is a bit strong on the vanilla.
So if you're female, like me and love it, but want it a bit 'tamer', try the man's version

Namarie
Namarie

this one is soo strong so spicy and amber is dominate the other notes but actually when i first try i dont like the smell but 1 hour laters smells has changed better way ; warm spicy and delicious..and i love it..longevity is best part

ginawadsworth

Warm Milk with Spice. Deliciously smooth mi chai tea amped up and cosy.

What's not to love..............

(Coty/no gold ring on bottle version)

lirael00
lirael00

I've used to own Obsession night and I loved it. Few days ago I got a sample of Obsession and was like 'What is that?!' It's one of the strangest scents I've ever smelled. There's is nothing nice about it or edgy. It's just strange- really bad strange. It smells like some kind of a syrup you were forced to drink as a child. This is definetly on my 'I don't like it and I don't get it' list of perfumes.

TRACTATUS
TRACTATUS

This is my sadist boyfriend who occasionally locks me up in a dusty chamber and does all sorts of bad things to me. I love my sadist boyfriend :))))

jeffersonfaudan
jeffersonfaudan

very beautiful... i have the old formulation of this.
a little goes a long way... and it's just so addictive and delicious.

rosembloom
rosembloom

Besides my mini now stands a full bottle of this most precious nectar. Thanx Hunny! I grew up smelling this ambery-velvety scent on elegant women around me and have associated it with sensual understated elegance and prestance. It smells of riches and honey, of home and xmas. So many good memories are tied to this sultry fragrance! My sweetie smelled my neck during xmas time when I was wearing it and his reaction was more than positive. I think he fell in Obsession too since he proceeded to get me the full bottle. This newbie is a delight to the senses as was my mini but seems a bit different. I love its balsamic -vanilla sweetness : sultry and intoxicating, timeless and mysterious. I love a well constructed peach note and this hits the spot. She opens sweet yet not cloying , a tad gourmand with cinamon and fresh mandarin-cirus medley. The scent deepens into velvely warmth when coriander and spices ( black Pepper is actually a lovely note not listed here)emerge. hte basil gives it this oriental touch adding just the right amount of spice to the underlying sweetness. Jasmine then takes precedence and given I adore a well-done jasmine, I definitely am Obsessed with the lusty , warm and alluring floral heart floating about me. Brings to mind old Hollywood glamour which is intemporal thus cannot be dated. As the drydown settles on my skin like golden honey, the Rose , moss and ambery notes come alive making me feel warm and cozy and so very sexy! Musky sandalwood turns into a creamy incense , reminding me of Nag Champa and strong Chai Tea. I never want to be parted again. Now, time to make new memories with this loving Obsession! I feel like a queen and smell like sensual elegance. Goes perfectly with my mood!
I simply cannot get enough of this scent. It may seem outdated to some but then again... Chanel no5 is said to b dated too.. To me that is a good thing. It means longstanding popularity and vintagey luxury!

redrapturelove

Velvety caramel infused with voluptuous cuddly vanilla. So beautiful and perfect for fall and winter. Yum...

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Love this scent much better than the male's version which to me is too much synthetic. For a man, the Eau de Parfum for women is as comforting as wrapping yourself in a soft and fluffy cashmere scarf. The complexity of the notes makes it so much more enigmatic compared to For Men: you can smell incense, honey, spices, vanilla and although it is indeed very strong, the notes are very subtle like Shalimar or Angel.
A very unisex scent I would recommend for any men with a personality and who are not ashamed of being...different!...

Update: I now am addicted to this scent so much I have become obsessed and bought 2 extra bottles to stock up, as at £24 each for 100ml, resistance is futile. Bizarre, it feels like craving for food or something you really know you should not do and still you do it, but at the same time soooo good! Could this perfume be the representation of sin? Maybe that's what its name should be...

larali

LOVING the wear today! Drydown = spices, vetiver and vanilla with just enough civet and white floral to keep it interesting. It's a dank, rainy cold day and I can't believe how perfect this fume is for today. Love it.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

This is ugly-beautiful and I am actually undecided whether I like it or not. All I know is that I may not be able to live without it.

I have the modern version and it is strong with a caramel amber blend but as you breathe and smell it close, you detect the green notes, making it smell like men's aftershave. I am very surprised that I prefer this over Must de Cartier vintage. This is less scandalous, commercial, and less refined. I don't like it in theory but I love the color of the juice and the way it smells on my skin---warm, ambery, sweet but not candy-like, and quite resiny. I don't smell the civet the way I smell it in Tabu.

The only thing I hate is the murky stage in the middle where I smell some kind of burnt plastic. I wish it was smoother on my skin at that stage.

Sillage: monstrous
Longevity: 12 hours ++

4scents
4scents

While my husband and I were roaming the mall's perfume stores I revisited this oldie but goody because I had never purchased it when everybody else wore it! It's a very strong scent when first applied but then oh my...
...my husband liked it on me and the purchase was done.
Winter time, winter time, winter time...YES!
Some people call this one a staple in their collection, I purchased it based on my husband's opinion now and enjoy wearing my Calvin Klein back in time and all time fragrance for many because it works with my body chemistry...
..the dry down on my skin is feminine, fabulous, sexy, saucy and spice.

Bluehonda
Bluehonda

This is my favorite fragrance of all time. The only reason it is not my signature is because even one carefully placed spray can overwhelm people with sensitive noses. I wore two sprays of this to work one day and it was wrong to do so. Even one spray can be too much if you are going to be close to people who may not love it as much as you do. That said - there is nothing I love to smell more on myself. It is spicy, sensual, and not shy. Lasts a full day on me and I can even smell it in the shower the next morning. My coat picked up the scent and now I smell it every time I put my coat on.

nezi

@ann.sundwall- I thought for a minute it could be the men's version but the bottle looked the same as the ladies one, and I asked the employee and she said it was the women's one but they keep it on the men's counter (which was strange to me). But none the less, I guess it might just be my skin chemistry and obsession don't go well at all. I know its a popular one and I usually love orientals but this was too strong for me. I just instantly got a migraine. I wonder if my sinuses would bother me if I smelt it on someone else though. Next time I'll have my boyfriend spray it on =P

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

@Nezi: If you selected it from the men's counter, are you sure it wasn't the men's formula for Obsession? I don't like Obsession as much as some of the other orientals from the same era, but it never smelled "masculine" to me. More a spicy, warm vanilla and amber.

nezi

WARNING: This maybe harsh.

My boyfriend likes to prank me at times, and the other day at Macy's he goes "Oh you have to try this one, it's amazing!" So knowing him and his tone he has when he is up to one of his sneaky tricks, I said, "You're not messing with me right? Is it really a good one?" He replies, "Yea" and then sprays my hand before I could take it away.

OMG!!!!! I almost died instantly from the stanky old man like smell! At this point he was dying of laughter because he was well aware of what he was doing!

This smell is sooooooo strong, too spicy, masculine, and to me very offensive (full on migraine for me and him). I was shocked that this is a "women" fragrance, it was even on the men's cologne counter at Macy's. It reminds me of a much older man to be honest. Like old spice. And it's so over powering that I can't even make out any notes because my sinuses were hurting.

I have to be honest, we went out after the mall and I couldn't get rid of the smell and didn't want to get too close to others. I will say one thing: this stuff lasts! I tried washing my hands like 10+ times with lots of soap and it still didn't come off for hours!

For those of you who have bad sinuses like me and get migraines easily this one may not be for you.

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

I'm so on the fence about this. It's very interesting and different from anything I've ever worn, but is it "me"? I feel like I'm out hunting for my hunky caveman, but could also be easily assaulted by any other living creature lurking behind the trees. Am I ready to be that primordial, or should I keep things more civilized? lol

saragun
saragun

always looking for the original formula the eau the perfume. The only thing is you have to watch the clothes because it will stain and will not come out. I learned the hard way when it first came out and I was a teenager. I love the original formula!

Boston2013
Boston2013

This was my sister's signature for decades, along with Opium.

But I could never wear it, it just "overwhelms" me and I come out as smelling like I am wearing my big sister's perfume, again!! ;)

The smell is "too big" for me. Alas, Opium was the same.

Too spicy. Too dense. Too deep.

larali

Oh! This smells just like Venice by Yves Rocher.

Vanilla, spicy amber and a bit of rose or something floral.

I cannot smell the civet so don't be afraid if you're leery of civet.

Sillage and longevity superb.

pipergirl
pipergirl

I used to not be able to wear Obsession (chemistry clash) even though I have always liked the smell of it, it did not like me. I tried it today for the first time in a long time and was pleasantly surprised - yes, I can definitely wear it now. The initial spray had me a bit worried because it smelled a bit dime store cheap to my nose. But fortunately that impression didn't last long and it soon developed into a warm, enveloping spicy amber, somewhat powdery. After a while vanilla seeps in and combines with the amber, very nice.

naomin
naomin

I grabbed a little bottle of this today. I had never smelled it, and I was curious.

Not bad! I like the curious citrus notes in the beginning. It's *almost* like a nice citrusy cleaning fluid, but fresh and pleasant. The fresh citrus sits on top of a vanilla, sweet-spicy kind of woody scent. I don't understand the wood (my nose is a little undeveloped on non-obvious woody scents), but I'm not going to argue. No point as it fades away and I'm left with a nice vanilla scent that reminds me of bit of the smell of a whole vanilla bean, pod and all.
This isn't very spicy on me, and that's fine. I wouldn't mind if it were, but once again, I'm not going to argue. It is sweet, warm and a little bit curious.

coffeex4

I love this perfume. The vintage Obsession used to smell so good on other people, namely my sister-in-law. Her scent filled the air and it was so mysterious and sexy. She's my brother's wife so I didn't want to steal her scent, but I bought myself a bottle to wear on the sly and I was thrilled at first as it smelled so good coming out of the bottle. Then, about one minute later, my arm smelled like rotten cabbage. I was so depressed about that and never tried it again, until about a year ago. I bought myself a bottle. Unlike all other reformulations I've come across, this one works for the best for me. It smells great on me. On my skin it smells like raw Amber. I Love It! It smells rich, and I find myself wearing it almost every day. It's a very comfortable smell. I will buy it again, as my bottle's almost empty. I also would like to buy Angel and Alien again, those are 2 others that I love.

soniamcalear

This is the ONLY PERFUME ive ever worn and receive continual complements on. EVERYBODY loves this on me. I don't like the smell of it in the bottle because it just didn't work with me and my chemistry but after I smelled this on someone else and started using it because she smelled so HEAVENLY, then I started waring this and totally changed my mind about this!!! I REALLY LOVE THE SOFT VANILLA IN THIS!!! AMAZING PERFUME!!!

AdrianB
AdrianB

This came out when I was in high school. One of my classmates wore it & it smelled delicious on her. This sparked my want for Obsession. So one day I tested it...and on me it smelled awful.

I decided Obsession & I weren't meant to be and moved on.

Many years passed. I joined Fragrantica & one day at TJ Maxx, I spotted Obsession minis for cheap. I picked up 2 thinking I'd be gifting them. I opened one & sprayed my wrist.

DIVINE!!! It turned into a heavenly aroma of vanilla amber spice. Just one spray, and all day I was in a cocoon of warmth. Sillage & longevity were incredible, and my husband LOVED it on me.

Is it my body chemistry changing? Is it the reformulation? Both? I don't know, but what once smelled like dusty mothballs on me suddenly morphed into a comforting yet sexy delight on me.

Now I'm seeking the vintage formula, to see what the results are nearly 30 years later..

Obviously Obsession won't work for all. But when it works for you...it is gorgeous.

Spikekuji
Spikekuji

I love love love obsession for men but I cannot stand the women's version. I don't know why, but it makes me sad.

NicoleET88
NicoleET88

My coworker wears just a spray of this and she smells divine all day long. Delicious and warm, like smokey incense and spices, with a hint of peach nectar. Absolutely awesome. If I could get it to smell like that on me I would definitely own a bottle.

violetbat
violetbat

Goog God. I sampled this today on the back of my hand. I thought I was going to throw up. Not because it was strong but because the smell was absolutely RANCID. It reminded me of finding a bag of beg that has gone so rotten it has became liquid.
I actually started to gag.
Now 2 hours later, all rancid horrors have gone and I actually do like the dry down and could happily wear this as it is NOW. BUT sadly there is no way on earth I can stomach the horrendous first hour or so to get to this stage.

radzzzz
radzzzz

I dont know why but this perfume doesnt like me one bit! It smell great on other peaople but on me its just a sad sad story. I always smell old and rancid. Other perfumes are great with me but this one just refuses to be my friend. I still love it on others tho.

aura2424
aura2424

i got this one as a gift .at first i thought it a poor copy of my fave chanel no 5 but i was wrong. it is a scent that can stand on its own.on my skin a single spritz does not evaporate for a long time .after it does i get a lovely civety ambery scent that lasts forever.at night as i turn over in my sleep i get those notes in my drowsy state.they only go away after a shower.truly an immortal perfume to obsess over.

These days I wanted to smell this again. I don't know why, it just popped in my head. I didn't mean to buy, just sniffing.
Off I went to usual places for shelf-crawling and it was almost impossible to find it! I found only a sealed bottle and no tester. The young Sa told me: Oh, it's such an old perfume, we keep a bottle for good measure, just in case an older lady asks for it!"
What??? I'm not an old lady!
Eventually I could find a tester and I think it was the new one and no, it doesn't smell old to me, rather out of its time and for that reason even more meaningful.
IMO When perfumes are no more all the rage in the city, after 10 or more years, they reveal their true nature and become more interesting for what they are.
Obsession is powdery-green and complicated, layered and very sensual in ladylike way.

Atreyu_Crimmins
Atreyu_Crimmins

This is going to sound mildly perverse, but I can't stop sniffing myself. Imagine yourself ensconced in a mystifying amber vision, floating astride wispy vapours of bergamot, jasmine and vanilla.

And then, just when you have settled into a gentle rocking rhythm, the woody civet notes emerge to caress your skin with a leisurely, pleasured shudder. This is Obsession.

For me, this fragrance is inimitable. Evocative of fur, opulence, firewood, deep woods and deeper feelings. It is complex, beautiful, erotic, intelligent. One of the most amazing qualities of Obsession is how soft, powdery and gentle it feels on one hand and how sexy and primal it is on the other. A masterpiece.

suzan de haas
suzan de haas

This is the most wonderfull smell ever. I get a lot of compliments. When you spray it on, it is very heavy. But it develops to a very warm, powdery smell at my skin very quickly. You can smell it all day (that is unique at my skin)

Centsless
Centsless

It's a love or hate fragrance and I love it. I was a child when this came out so I am only just now discovering and wearing it. It's one to be sprayed with a light hand or it can wear you instead of you wearing it. The sensual spiceyness and woodiness are so comforting and relaxing; it is something I like to spray at night before bedtime because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

benpaul12
benpaul12

I’m a guy and was intrigued by this perfume because of the age of it and the name. One day when I was in LA I sprayed some on my wrist and while I thought it was a bit dated, I couldn’t stop smelling it!

A year later, I bought a bottle for my girlfriend, as soon as she sprayed it on she fell in love with it. I couldn’t stop smelling her as well and found that this perfume is extremely sensual. Whenever she wears it, Obsession takes me to another place, she smells so magical and so beautifully intoxicating.

What suits her is the vanilla, amber and sandalwood and the warmth this provides. This has an ongoing synergy with the civet, incense, fruits and florals behind it. She loves that I bought her this and keeps applying it because she “is becoming obsessed with Obsession.”

kirinie
kirinie

I blind bought a mini of this because there was a great deal going. It's more mature/classic than I usually wear, but it doesn't have the talc or soapy aspects that bother me in most of such fragrances. Judging by reveiws I wasn't expecting to like it, but somehow it works for me. After the citrusy opeing, I get spices, sandalwood, vanilla, and lots of amber.

I get why it smells dated to people, but it makes me feel really sexy when applied with a light hand. I just hope that whomever I want to feel sexy around thinks it smells nice too!

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

I got Obsession for Women after reading some reviews saying a man could wear it. And yes, I man can wear it for it smells more manly than some current male scents out there these days. But all I get from that huge stack of notes is a very strong amber that pulls me towards Prada pour Homme Intense specially in the openning. All the other notes seem to be forming a solid base for the amber and a little vanilla. It is not as loud as I thought it would be and not very feminine either. I don't smell it as dated but amber is so common in older scents that I can recall something from my mother's wardrobe. Perhaps I went too carefully on the spray, which is excellent by the way, leting you dose your application to a minimum or to the max, it is all up to you. I would say it is a safe frag, comfortable and very office friendly, if you know what you're doing. Ah, this must be the latest of the reformulations. And I like it.

Edt.: I love it.

happygeisha
happygeisha

i got my first bottle of Obsession the year it premiered in 1985 in san francisco. my rich lesbian aunt, whom i had been visiting, brought me into Neiman-Marcus and bought it for me for my 13th birthday. i used to keep it in its original box and worshiped it as if it were a deity. it was my introduction into the world of fragrance and will always remind me of the excess and extravagance of the 80s. to this day, when i smell it's heady amber fumes i am hearkened back to the days of ENORMOUS shoulder pads, gravity-defying hair, popped collars, Dynasty-esque wealth, that Obsession commercial (!!!) and Duran Duran, of course. truly a classic and forever a memory.

The Swedish girl

I keep on buying and buying Obsession, hoping they will have changed it back to the old magical ambery formula...

But no - once again I wasted my money on this stale popcorn/dead mouse - smelling joke of a perfume.

It had been a while since I'd tried out Obsession but I felt I should. I've heard it described so many ways from "old lady" to "smells like Indian food" that I couldn't even remember how I felt about it.
Obsession doesn't really smell that dated to me. It's definitely stronger than a lot of what's out now, but it lacks the soapy/talcum type smell that I associate with something I'd call "mature".
On my skin Obsession has a strong, almost overripe peach note. This is accompanied by sweet spices, cedar, a bit of oakmoss and a strong musk that I can only attribute to civet.
Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't get why this is such a love/hate fragrance. I only take a pass on it because it's too sweet for my taste.

jake.shouse

I like this but don't love it! smell's good but has a wood shaving note that is guess is cedar and it is very strong in it but after it dries down it smells very good!

Perfumedsecrets

When Frederic Malle talks about sexy scents this often comes up in articles. So when I came across a small bottle I kept it. I can't say if it's different from the 80's or it's dated, because I never wore it back then (far too young). Spice, powder, and incense all dominate. It's definitely iconic and smells good on certain people.

MLK
MLK

My husband bought this perfume for me because I mentioned it to him that I loved it when it was first released. He loves it on me too as its a very sexy scent. Men love this on women!!

Jayeecee
Jayeecee

I have always hated this perfume - I used to describe it as 'stale body smell', like the inside of the wardrobe of someone with a particularly pungent and musky body scent whose clothes have been worn and then hung up without being washed! One of my best friends always wore it when we went out - I couldn't bear being cooped up in a taxi cab with that smell: it made me feel sick. Fortunately she no longer seems to wear it!

jht4060
jht4060

In my opinion, Calvin Klein Obsession is what Obsession for Men wants to be, which is rather peculiar since Obsession for Men was created after Obsession. What was the perfumer thinking!?

Obsession is a warm rich spicy scent from start to finish, as if you are smelling every spice known to man mixed into one pot and cooked until slightly caramelized. I think it is the civet that adds a lot of the depth - it is that sharp clovey slightly urinous note that runs under the creamy peach, cinnamon, basil, vanilla, candied citrus, and floral notes. There is a slight orange blossom note in the middle and the base is a beautiful blend of vanilla and the other listed notes.

I recently realized that Obsession is surprisingly similar to Old Spice (yes, the classic men's cologne). O is a bit richer than OS, with more fruit notes and cinnamon and less nutmeg, but compare them and you will see.

Very strong, amazing longevity, gorgeous unisex scent.

By the way, I have the current (2013) version without the gold band. I don't have any older formulation so I can't compare, but I have my usual skepticism about the cries of foul reformulation.

fawnmarie
fawnmarie

I was at Starbucks the other day and there was a lady fixing her coffee beside me. She smelled divine! I could smell cedar, sandalwood, a dark vanilla note...of course, I asked her what perfume she had on. She looked at me with a sparkle in her eyes, and smiling, she said "Obsession by Calvin Klein. I've been wearing it for at least 20 years, and I probably get 10 compliments a day on it."

to etude83

Krizia Krazy captures all the allure of Obsession and none of the funk.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

First whiff-adoration! No matter what others say, I will always love this perfume. I truly believe all the hype and commercialization has turned people off through the years and that is a true shame. It's a beautiful fragrance that should not be taken lightly.
A warm, powdery, sweet scent with amber laden spices surrounding and tickling your nose. Creaminess abounds throughout the different layers and surround your olfactory senses constantly.
Vanilla, peach, citrus and basil are what I get in the top notes, spices, oakmoss and cedar in the middle, and amber, musk, civet, incense and vetiver in the base. This is such a complicated fragrance and that's the reason I delight in it.
Obsession gives me an image of leather riding boots, cable knit winter white sweaters over well-worn Levis, cozy comfortable clothing, a pashmina scarf tossed casually around my neck. It has a hint of masculinity, yes, very definitely. It appeals to the yin and yang of our souls. Forget the commercials and what the media has told you. Spray it again on a vulnerable spot and luxuriate in yourself. You'll be glad you tried it again. It's a sensual fragrance that awakens your inner self.
Although it seems more of a night-time fragrance based in the cooler months, I love wearing it year-round. It's mystique and scent is just that delicious.

Kim1980
Kim1980

I had this one in a miniature-set. Too balmy and powdery for me. Besides that on my skin appeals a very strong leather undertone in it. It gives me not a pleasant feeling. I start to feel a bit ill, not a headache....just not a nice feeling. I wanted to wash it off each time I was wearing it. I wouldnt buy it, nor givie it as a present; too risky. It's a very overwhelming fragance.

Seemi
Seemi

Obsession pre re formulation is absolutely gorgeous warm heady fragrance that's so warming and cosy. The bottle used to have a gold band around the top and was a fantastic creation both on silage and longevity. Unfortunately the re formulation is a disgusting vile creation that is so sharp and metallic even thinking about it makes me shudder. I accidentally bought this vile stuff on amazon and was very cross as the thumbnail on amazon showed the old fantastic bottle but what can u do. I palmed my bottle off to my brother who sniffed it and seemed to like it lol. I have managed to track down a pre reformulated bottle on eBay so looking forward to getting my hands on that beautiful warm scent.

mary.dinoface
mary.dinoface

I tried this on the other day and I at first I thought it smelled horrible! As the day went on I kept smelling something good lol and I realized it was this perfume! I do want to own this, I really like it. :)

jake.shouse

Love the lotion liked perfume but it smelled like wood shavings alittle plus it's strong and I love that idk maybe I may end up wearing this!

love45
love45

This perfume is so bold, and balmy. You have to be really confident to wear this or it will make you! Haha. It is very mature so if you like very sweet perfumes, you might want to test it out first before buying it. Overall, very nice perfume!

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

Had this perfume many years ago! Whenever you walked into a room wearing this, everyone knew what you were wearing, it was that popular.
It was like having an incense overcoat on! Wouldn't go near it now, but it was fun back in the day....

teresathebarista
teresathebarista

It's like the little black dress that never lets you down. A classic standby.

juan carlos.henriquez
juan carlos.henriquez

esto huele caliente y sexual en el cuello sudado de una mujer misteriosa, me hace tan debil y traspasa mis sentidos.

niggi
niggi

Wow! Warm, spicy, vanilla with a depth. The civet is just enof to give it that" something special". I love this perfume so much- at any time- summer and winter.
Quality ingredients and long lasting. Dries down to a smooth amber/vanilla/spice combo.
Excellent! I hope they never take it of the market:-)
God bless you all

timida88
timida88

Finally i grew up to understand Obsession. I tested it on really hot day but it wasn't disturbing. Very soft and cosy cinnamon & vanilla. I think if i had to choose a fragrance for official occasion with long dress, i would pick up this one. It is not so well known as Chanel perfumes, not so rude as Euphoria, not so cheeky as Angel.I find it reflecting a part of my personality.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I owned this scent in the '80's and loved it. Now it does appear to be reformulated, but is still quite similar to the original.
I mainly smell incense, vanilla, and mildly animalic musk/civet. In small amounts (which is all you need because it's a STRONG scent) I do not get a headache from the civet and musk, and I love the sensual, sweet yet slighly "dirty in a nice way" aura of Obsession.

millie1980
millie1980

Wow, that's one ugly fragrance! Smells like vanilla blended with petrol. Enough said.

angelag1970
angelag1970

I wore it in the early 90s a lot. I loved the scent but kind of outgrew it (or I made myself sick wearing it so much). Vanilla, moderate musk. I think if I tried it again I'd like it but I'm not willing to risk another full bottle.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is one of those fragrances that I literally HATE!!! Don't get me wrong, I typically LOVE all perfumes... but this one was the strongest selling fragrance the year that I was working in the fragrance bay area at the local department store in West Texas.

The year that this was introduced - there were so many people spraying this that the entire department store reeked of this particular fragrance... so much so that there was an aerosol cloud of this that would literally disentigrate the enamel off of your teeth.

Too much of a "good thing" - is a "bad thing".
This is a perfume that I will probably never be drawn to, simply because it was so over done in the 1980's.

hobbscan
hobbscan

Reminds me of my good ol' high school/early college days. Also, it reminds me of when my little sister went into a fit of rage and broke my bottle in our bedroom. The carpet semlled of obsession for months!
Obsession smells like musk and vanilla combined and it is a great fall/winter scent. It has longevity.

Latindancer
Latindancer

Very spicy, and has a distinct sharp note in it, maybe it's the civet. I can also pick up the orange and incense and vanilla. A long lasting scent as well, i scrubbed my wrist with soap after sampling and it is still there, strong as ever! To me, it isnt at all feminine, it smells like car perfume, or some synthetic washing liquid. It is very unique, But certainly not for me.

Lubylikes
Lubylikes

As a student I lived above a Chinese restaurant and no matter what variety of ingredients they cooked it always smelled the same, day or night. I ate in the restaurant a couple of times and the food was good, the menu diverse but the odour upstairs and in the kitchen was always the same. I burned a lot of Nag Champa in those days.

Obsession, for me, is like this. It smells like I'm walking past a curry house, back and forth, all day! Sometimes past the front door and sometimes lurking, smoking, down the access lane that leads to the kitchen.

I don't care how popular it was in the late 80's, that's the power of advertising. Feminine, masculine, whatever...

Curry.

magesstudy
magesstudy

From the notes, I really wanted this one. Then I smelled the CVS knockoff and was pretty sure I hated it. This week, an older gentleman who is my friend from work (and the same person who turned me on to Tigress!) gave this to me for my birthday and I like it. My boyfriend didn't react too well. First he said I smelled like an older woman, then, the next day, when I suggested he try it, he agreed he should and clarified that he had meant "masculine" not "old lady," which in my opinion is a pretty big distinction. Nevertheless, I really like it. I'm not sure if I want to give it to my mom (who I'm sure would love it as she love incense and spices and never splurges on nice perfume) or keep it and save it for occasions where I expect to be impressive and the boy can just live with my wearing an "older woman/ masculine" fragrance.
Incidentally, "Obsession" and "Tabu" are the only perfumes I own that contain civet, but I'm not sure which thing I'm smelling it is. Obsession and the vintage formula of Tabu both have a bitterness, but it is nothing like the "cat pee" scent I hear people complain about. Also, a couple hours in, Obsession turns very very vanilla happy on my skin.

plum
plum

In my early twenties I got a tiny sample of a shower gel. I took a shower and got obsessed! As a student I couln't afford it. I was obsessed to get it. Finally, my mum bought it for me for my birthday... When I found it has been reformulated, I started to panick! So far, I have purchased 3 pre-reformulation bottles (vintage - dab on included). I love it, love it, love it:)
The fragrance is very rich and not for everybody. For some it may be outdated and loud. I can often detect it from ladies much older than me. But I don't mind. Actually, I am glad when I meet somebody who shares my taste:)

CDGfan
CDGfan

I concur with Honey, its VERY masculine, a more powerful version of the Obsession for men, I don't see a woman rocking this too well.

mystica
mystica

I haven't tried the original, currently available (transparent capped) reformulated version is a total dissappointment.
I love orientals, but new Obsession smells artificial and almost nasty.
What I smelt has also no similarity whatsoever to Tabu.

mhubbard
mhubbard

I wore this to work today as our winter season will be tapering off quite soon. I also needed a morale boost. Unlike my usual conservative self, I used several sprays. Although it seemed a little loud, nevertheless I enjoyed it thoroughly all day. A woman my age recognized it and we reminisced about the days of circa 1985 when this came out, that a bottle would cost more than a day's pay at the time. Yes its old fashioned in a way, old school but not boring. Never boring. Very sensuous, warm,almost but not quite like a rich dessert. Similar to Opium but sweeter, more vanilla. Although I love it, I will probably only wear it a few times a year, meaning my 100ml bottle is more than a lifetime supply.

Délicieux
Délicieux

For this review I'm referring to the new, Coty reformulated Obsession. I will say that I LOVED Obsession prior to Coty's tampering...but now? Oh good grief. Another masterpiece ruined.

Now when I say ruined I mean ruined for me. It's entirely possible that this fragrance is perfect for you, so do try it out and see how you do with it.

Unfortunately, all I smell is low quality vanilla and dead mouse. Of course, the dead mouse must be the civet. I am always iffy with civet. When it works (as in Coco by Chanel) then I'm a happy girl. The civet is downright nasty in this new Obsession and I had to scrub my wrists until they turned red to get the hideous stench off...and even then I could still get a whiff of it, which sadly turned my stomach. Oh yes, I was sad! This used to be one of my favorites.

MrMookie

Holy shit @fragrance_fan thats one of the coolest reviews i read in ages about a perfume.

My review : I heard a year ago that my former (male) boss wears this one (not the mens version) i was like .. ok?! you?
Today i saw a tester in the perfume shop and i gave it a try... one spritz on my wrist...smelling it..Hmmm great!
Then i sprayed 4 full-blasts into my chest and walked away like NO F**KS where given that day.

Its still cold outside and my goose filled jacket with bunny fur was creating a good platform to evolve from chest to my nose.
Let me say im not much into buying womens perfumes for me,myself and I but....this ones is from now on @Mookie'sWishList

Whats up with the dislikes in this one?

I really like this so much better then Obsession for Men which in my opinion not even close to this.

From beginning till end its balmy,woody and smoky amber and well... longer lasting!
I feel like a shaik!
totally UNISEX!
Big happy thumbs up.

ginawadsworth

Not for the faint hearted.

Like AE and Opium, it is a like it or leave it scent. With my passion for AE, you know I will love it. I went to an annual perfume sale which was somewhat boring with all the usual generic fruity floral and celebrity scents in abundance. Only 2 stood out. This and Opium. I eventually went for Obsession because I know someone who wears Opium.
If you apply gently and with discretion you will love the warmness it gives. Long lasting too which is always a bonus. The bottle feels like you are holding a paperweight, solid, strong and lovely to look at, all indicative of the juice. If it were an animal, I picture a tiger cooped up in a zoo, just pacing to get out and take its next victim.......

gr8daddyg
gr8daddyg

My fascination with cologne first started with this fragrance. It was warm and sensual and dried down into a powdery musk. I'm still a fan of it, but feel like I've outgrown this one since I was wearing it in the mid-90's as a teenager. I like Pi by Givenchy now as well as Zino Davidoff. It's nice to revisit this scent, even for nostalgia's sake.

Museumgal

Forgot to add that on me it dries down to a lovely, dry, Guerlain-like vanilla. So warm and cozy!

fragrance_fan
fragrance_fan

i know this is a woman's perfume but believe it or not it saved my life!
Back in the late eighties i was living in Colombia for ... well, let's not mention why, but anyway I was racing my little 350cc royal enfield bullet motor bike through the mountainside just south of Medellin. I was on my to see a lady friend and had a bottle of this stuff for her from the states. It was all the rage with the fancy types out there back then and not easy to get.
Anyway, before i knew it i was bein chased by some angry berraco types who let's just say thought this gringo had no business cruising down their road without paying a "toll" fee.
I'm not one to pay anyone for ridin my bike on the free road so I put it into high gear and dragged it through some trees.
These guys had elephant cajones because they were on me like white on rice. Suddenly I hear that familiar putter of a near empty gas tank and unfortunately it was mine ... I had no choice but to crack open the box of this perfume and pour it into the tank.

Now let me tell you, that bike went from 15mph to 70 in three seconds. I hit back onto the road left the collection squad in the dust.
Later I discovered they were able to track me by following the scent my bike left behind - but by the time they reached that casa I was at they were too intoxicated by the beautiful aroma. For Pete sake they didn't know if they should tackle me or kiss me - so I made a break for it and scadaddled it out of there. leaving behind my lovely lady and the most exhilarating spiritual incense puffing smoke from my exhaust pipe!
Any time I smell this stuff it gets my heart pumping again, and i think of that lovely lady who stole my heart in a beautiful mountainside town near Medallin.

KATERINA LABROPOULOU
KATERINA LABROPOULOU

I really love this perfume and I don't know how blind I was not to have spotted this so long. It is a superb smell which lasts all day and if preferably wearable for winter. The incense along with spices makes it a total mysterious and rare perfume. My husband likes it too.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

I love this stuff! It kind of reminds me of a spice dusted creme brulee topped with a boozy whipped cream. I also get alot of amber in this...alot. Very decadent, delicious. It dries down softly, powdery. It is definitely not for wallflowers, she is an up-front 80's power hitter.

I like scents like this that have a bit of a punch...it reminds me of some of the old greats like Tabu, or Toujours Moi. To sum it all up to me, this perfume wears like a decadent, fresh pipping hot spicy custardy dessert...yum!

I do think that you can enjoy wearing a heavier scent like this even though you normally go for lighter floral scents. I like variety! ;)

Fragaria
Fragaria

This is my least favorite perfume. I know what it's like to simply love a scent hated by others...I'm a violet lover, yep, what some consider to be a vile old lady smell. Hats off to those that love this scent! I've been around women wearing this fragrance and each time, EVERY time, a person near by compliments the scent, old and young alike. You can SEE precisely the instant they pick up on this scent. The compliments just fall out of their mouths like no other scent! It's like an instinct, they're not even aware. It leaves me to believe this is one LOVELY scent! But doggoneit! WHY does it have to be so strong!?

tenderhearted
tenderhearted

I am against wearing/buying perfumes that have cruel ingredients Iike civet in them.

But I did have a wonderful teacher in high school who wore a cruelty free knock off of this scent (civet free). She was a kindred spirit into animal rights just like me:) I would hear other teachers sometimes asking her if she was wearing Obsession,so I guessed it to be a great knock off/imitation. She always smelled so lovey and exotic. She smelled like soft smoke,dry vanilla beans,baking spices,swirls of incense curling around her head.:) I so admired her and her beautiful perfume. It really suited her soft ways,shiny brown hair whirling as she twirled around handing us back our latest school papers,her long flowing dresses of red (she always wore red).

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

I first used the Body Lotion and it was just so amazingly beautiful..everyone was asking what I was using..many years ago..at least 20 years..then I got the eau de parfum..bought at least 4 or 5 bottles..then I didn't use it for a long time..and just got a sheer one with a nostalgic feelings..I still love it but it doesn't give me the old feeling..maybe my skin's chemistry has changed for it as I've gotten older..still though a masterpiece

coffeex4

"Bbbluefairy", thanks for the laugh, funny post! And "Assiduosity", wow, very picturesque story on the plane. I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard. I love the Fragrantica website. It's fun to read the posts! and I love perfume! I happen to like Obsession very much. It is different that's for sure, but it's interesting just the same. On me, the drydown, and the scent left on my clothes is very similar to Angel.
BUON GIORNO, BUON DIVERTIMENTO!

thunderlights
thunderlights

This scent is one that not everyone loves. One does or doesn't. I do love it and feel that using a very small amount is always wise. People do not know you have on a scent when you walk into the room. However, once they stand beside me, they always say how wonderful I smell.

ranchorita
ranchorita

I loved the scent of Obsession and I stalwartly wore it for a few months when it came out, but it gave me a sensation of burning on my skin and I stopped wearing it. I continued to enjoy the scent of it on others, but it's clearly not for me.

Amami
Amami

I bought this perfume without smelling it. It was a hit or miss. Deffinitely a hit :) I love. At first it was like "WTF" but in 2-3 minutes marvellous incense appeared! And after 2h vanilla is comming out with the incense in the background. Love it!

eaudetoile
eaudetoile

I will never be a fan of this genre of perfumes. The warm, spicy compositions of the 20s,30s,40s. The scent is far too heavy. If you have a sensitive sense of smell, you will find this perfume to be too suffocating. Its just not for me.

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

There's something sharp and kind of sour-smokey about this one that seems off to my nose, almost like an old-fireplace smell combined with animals. I'll have to see if the dry-down progresses, but thus far I'm not liking how it smells on me.

EDIT: On reflection, I think it may be the civet that disagrees with me. The combination of pungent animal with balmy vanilla doesn't sit right. It's better in the dry-down, more mellow, slightly powdery even, but still not my thing. I may be giving this one to my Mom, as she adores Obsession and will make good use of it.

SparrowLight1
SparrowLight1

I picked up a small bottle of this on sale when I was first getting into perfumes and convinced that traditionally feminine perfumes were not for me. Since my mother only ever wore a vanilla oil, not mainstream perfume, I don't have any connotations of age or era to this perfume. For me, this fragrance is very sweet, almost vanillary, with a thick, resinous core. It's very spicy and heavy; for that reason, I don't wear it that often. It's not that I don't like it; I have a great appreciation for 80's Orientals in general. I have a small fear of "attacking" the senses of others with my perfume. However, now that I've found a few tips on how to wear these powerhouse fragrances without knocking over my colleagues, I will be reintroducing this scent into my winter wardrobe. :)

Mom2Dano
Mom2Dano

It is a very warm and heavy scent, but at the same time is feminine and comforting. Brings back lots of memories for me. It's has a warming scent and I've gotten complimented every time I would wear it. Great for fall, winter, and night time wear, but could be worn anytime. I love this perfume!

Bbbluefairy
Bbbluefairy

Jesus Christ that last review... I don't care about this anymore i just want to get the hell out of here

Annie Hall
Annie Hall

Obsession was my first perfume obsession, almost like myfirstime :-). No with classic, oriental, safe but a little bit borring Guerlain or not with glamourous, charming and alluring Channel, no with floral, blossoming chic and sweetly elegant Dior but just with wild, deep, steamy, licentious, sensual, slinky and unsafe Klein and I don`t regret. I gave him free reign over me, permanent free reign. I fall down on my knees, for all the love we've made, every sigh in the night, every tear that you cry, seduces me, seduces me, all that you do ... seduces me ... ooopppsss and I need to say that I liked it and it ended happily (wink) ;-)

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I like to complain a lot about how awful today's scents are, thousands of identical celebrity sugar bombs being pumped out and consumed like water. I yearn for the good old days.

Then I remember Obsession. Suddenly today's stuff doesn't seem all that bad!

This is must de Cartier sans quality. Kind of like Tabu but even cheaper. A disaster (by one of my favorite perfumers, no less)!

Deevee
Deevee

Ahhh, Obsession, fragrance of my youth.... I was in my late teens when Obsession debuted. It was the most lovely, unique, interesting perfume I had ever encountered. I saved all my hard earned dollars for a small bottle of the amber colored awesomeness. Because no one has to know you eat Raman noodles every other day, but they will know you smell fantastic!

For me, Obsession is all sweet and dark spice. A pot of bubbling cinnamon laced carmels rather than something like a sugar cookie. I like it quite a bit, when applied with a very light hand. Is it a "dated" perfume? Well, they aren't making them like THAT anymore. It doesn't have a lot of shared characterestics with scents that have been released in the last decade. It's not quite what I would call a classic, but the fact that it has survived this long says a lot about its appeal to people.

I don't wear it often anymore, but when I do, it's a total trip down my olfactory memory lane. If you are unfamiliar with this perfume, be advised it is one of those 1980's powerhouse fragrances. The tiniest little spritz, and you are good to go for the day. And possibly the next day and well into the weekend. It's a tenacious little perfume. On the plus side, it is potent enough that cute little half ounce bottle probably can last you into the next decade.

Museumgal

Very green and fresh in the opening, with a burst of spice that develops more the heart notes. It is spicy and warm, and the dry down is woodsy and smoky, animalistic. You can't escape the civet in this so if you don't like that note, avoid this one. It is also quite masculine in the opening and that could be a big turn off to some. In fact it's so masculine I'm surprised it isn't unisex, as I really couldn't detect the two florals listed in the notes. But it lasts forever and is very complex -- it develops and becomes more interesting each hour. And it does last! Which can be hard to find. Wonderful for winter or fall, would probably be deadly choking in warm weather or a hot climate. Or at the office -- definitely more of a night out or cozy night at home scent.

aveilhe
aveilhe

Try as I might, I just can't grasp the appeal of Obsession. I remember smelling it as a girl (shortly after it came out) and turning up my nose. It just seemed so heavy and intimidating to me at that time. I found a mini bottle for sale at a local discount shop this week and decided to give it try based on the glowing reviews here on Fragrantica (and I figured perhaps my tastes have changed enough as an adult to appreciate it). I have worn it three times this week, and I still have not been able to understand its allure. I feel as though I've been wearing someone else's scent...another woman, from another time, who is not at all like me. It makes me feel so uncomfortable!

First, this fragrance smells incredibly dated to me. Mind you, I love vintage perfumes -- 1920s-1950s Carons are some of my favorites. I believe the dated feel of Obsession has to do with the fact that it is a scent that reminds me of what "older" women wore when I was growing up, and that association is still embedded in my mind. I wonder if a younger girl (maybe in her early twenties) who did not have this memory might be able to appreciate this perfume with a fresh perspective (as I do the early 20th c. perfumes)? Unfortunately, it just screams 80's to me.

The civet/civetone note is also incredibly bothersome to me -- many of the old Avon perfumes that my grandmother used to wear smelled of civet, and I really cannot get past this association with my grandmother and her "stinky" perfumes. Civet is just one of those notes that challenges me, and it is VERY prominent in Obsession.

The top notes are extremely masculine -- the basil and bergamot are reminiscent of an old-fashioned men's eau de cologne. The middle notes are probably the most bearable for me -- when the spices and soft sandalwood come into play. But then, it's back to the masculine notes: cedar, oakmoss, vetiver, musk. And always...always...that pesky civet is there, popping in and out, trying to take center stage. I wear and enjoy many masculine and unisex fragrances, but honestly, this is one of the most masculine scents I have ever smelled! The official notes include vanilla, but, if it is there, it never reveals itself on my skin. Too bad -- it might have saved this for me.

I typically adore orientals: I love spices, woods, ambers, incense notes, etc. But Obsession just doesn't do it for me. The combination of civet with the overly-masculine notes really make me feel unattractive when I wear it. I wish I could smell this on someone who considers it to be warm, cozy, sexy, or spicy (as so many reputable reviewers say it is) because I don't get any of these traits when I wear it -- quite the opposite, in fact.

Oh, well. I gave it a fair shot. If anyone wants a nearly full mini, I would be happy to gift it or trade it -- just PM me.

TruthserumX
TruthserumX

I like this a lot. My husband however does not. I think its to spicy for his nose. I get a strong cinnamon smell, but for me its not overwhelming. I keep it around and wear it in the day.

guest_Vie Cafe

I agree with people who say this smells a little like Moschino in the drydown, but with a lot of civet and not as fresh to my opinion. I love Moschino for its nice "coniferous forest" vibe. I wish I could like this, but all I get is civet... skunky civet. A record longevity on my skin though, more than 24 hours and I cannot scrub it off my hand, even after doing a LOT of dishes in very hot water. Wow.

wendyyparty
wendyyparty

This smells like Moschino for women! The drydown is almost identical that it got me confused for a minute.

lemontreelime12
lemontreelime12

This was the first 'real' perfume i ever had, was given it by a neighbor for my high school graduation. I felt very sophisticated wearing it. But as time went on I didn't feel comfortable in it, like wearing other peoples clothes, and haven't had it since.

Lucialuz
Lucialuz

Very spicy and ambered vanilla. Oriental, exotic, unique, marvellous!

It is one of the most DIFFERENT AND SINGULAR perfumes in the world. It is a little green and masculine in the beginning and very spicy, ambered, woody and bitter in the middle.

In the end, civetta and vanilla interlace in a beautiful and magnificent way. Gorgeous!

Jenny Peycheva
Jenny Peycheva

Just awful! I have never experienced such a nightmare with a scent! I bought it blind because of the notes. I tried to like it, but it's sooo heavy and long lasting that I though that I am suffocating and I can't breath. Just a nightmare! I had to take a shower and even after that I was still thinking of and smelling the perfume /probably everything was in my mind/. I don't even want this perfume in my house and I will give it away to somebody who can appreciate it.

Kookabird
Kookabird

Sprayed it on my sleeve & thought it was gross. 30 mins later, thought it was the best thing ever. Showed it to my mum, who nearly choked to death & said it smelled like poo and refused to buy it for me for xmas.

Now I can't stop thinking about it. Actually am a little "obsessed" by the mixed reviews of this perfume, it's amazing how it polarises people! Think I might have to buy a bottle, even if I have to hide from everyone for the first hour after application!

Snowfairy
Snowfairy

Sexy cinnamon.One spray lasts all day.Very sensual

selinacat
selinacat

Obsession...eh, Its complicated...

Okay, So I'm only 25, and I bought Obsession after a bottle sniff in the store, without trying it on my skin. My man got me a giant bottle of it from the store because of Superdrug's £19.99 for 100mL deal. When I sprayed it, I thought like most do, that WOAH...this might be the men's version surely!!

It was much more woodsy than musty, and I dunno, it did smell similar to my Husband's Old Spice stick deodorant. Then, the next day, as I have with ALL my perfumes, I tried it again. I read the reviews, and gave myself a single spritz to the neck, (my fav place to really get a good whiff) and I have to say that the next day, I feel much differently about it. It is much more sexy than I originally thought, and I think the problem people might be having with it, is that if you aren't an Oriental lover, woodsy perfumes may come off too balmy. For example, I LOVE Alien. If you love Alien, then you might like Obsession and vice versa. It seems like Alien is another one of those love them or hate them colognes, and I think the strong woody notes in Alien would have the same impact on someone as they do in Obsession.

Overally, Obsession is a very complex scent for my generation. It is slightly more unisex than I am used to, and I may have preferred it to be slightly more floral just to soften the Wood notes. Still, it is nice. I can see it being the perfect mixer with some of the more gourmand scents I have that are far too sweet for me nowadays. It seems to be an excellently balanced Wood scent. The incense in it does much more for my chemistry than Opium edt did, however it does not have the same strength of Opium's incense.

Most of my scents have a lot of bergamot and orange blossom and Jasmine in them. I thought thats why Obsession would be a shoein for me. However, the notes didn't really come across that strongly.

I feel that I can't exactly recommend Obsession one way or the other. It is similar to all my encounters with Calvin Klein scents...complicated....

What I WOULD recommend to anyone interested, is to take a look at the reviews here, see if some of the comments appeal to you, but TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! This isn't a scent that is wise as a blind buy. (Unless you already love Opium, then I think its probably a good to go for you)

Bottomline: Quality scent, NOT FOR BLIND BUY!

Chantal

I really have to wear this more.
Obsession may be a classic of sorts by now, a trip back to the eighties for some, but every time I come back to this I’m surprised at how avant-guard it is, and was at the time it came out. This is some daring stuff. I sniff the bottle, and it’s so old-school masculine, but there’s a hint of something fresh and herbaceous that prevents it from being sickeningly musky/sweet/spicy.

This opens up smelling like a very old fashioned men’s cologne, but when you really analyse it, there is more to it (which is great, because it’s a little disappointing when a fragrance really is as simple as it appears). There is definitely orange in it, just the slightest nuance that blends into this super manly smell, and something herby (I never knew it was basil, but yes! That’s exactly it!) that makes me want to smell myself again and again. Then there are spices, sweet and intriguing in the mix, and just a little vanilla that slowly seeps in and adds texture and smooths everything out.

Vanilla does become a big player in this, but not in the typical way for women’s mainstream scents. This is always quite masculine, but it doesn’t put me off. It makes me feel kinda powerful (lol, it sounds silly, but it’s true!) like I can wear whatever I want and I don’t have to smell girly or flowery to feel like a woman. It makes me feel very natural, chilled out, like I’m wearing some very feather-light clothes in a very hot and exotic place like olden days Havana or something.

This is some strong stuff, be warned. I was on the bus the other day, I got on in the morning to go to work, and someone had this on (unmistakeable) and I could smell it strongly. I was on the bus eight hours later, coming home, and the same woman who had it on in the morning was on the same bus as I was both ways, and I could still smell her from far away. That’s not great to do to people, and completely not necessary. I'll tell you honestly, you use one spray of this, you’re set for the day. People will still smell you, but not from as far. And how far must we really project to feel good about our smell? I think about this sometimes. Personally, I don’t want anyone to have to tell me they could smell me from across the room, no matter whether the smell was good or bad. Anyhow, I like to wear what I like, but I don’t need a whole bus to smell it, I will still feel good about my perfume if only people directly near me can smell me. Gosh, I’m sorry for the rant, lol, didn’t mean for that to happen! In any case, please don’t hate me for that, you can wear as much of whatever as you like, that’s just my personal policy for myself, agree or disagree :)

jeffthebarbarian
jeffthebarbarian

I read the notes on Obsession, and I thought it sounded like me! I was very excited to try this!
I smelled it in the vial, and I thought it smelled very spicy and warm...even mysterious!
I tried it on my skin, and WHOA!
Yeah, let's just say that it didn't smell anything on me like it did in the bottle.
The coriander was not the dried coriander seeds smell I was expecting, but the fresh cilantro used so liberally in Indian cuisine. And the cilantro note and the basil note competed for dominance on me. But then the poweder took over. After about 5 minutes I couldn't take a deep breath. I had to wash it off fast. And it didn't go away after I washed. UGH!
I have tried this several times in hopes that perhaps this would develop differently, but each time was wham - cilantro/basil, and WHAM - POWDER! I can never make it to the dry down.
EDIT-
Several times now, ladies have come into my workplace smelling incredible. They smell smoky and resinous and all kinds of exotic. I ask them what they are wearing and it is Obsession!
That makes me SO sad! They smell so good! They don't have any whiff of powder or sharp herbal smell. But I have started asking the ladies how long they have had their bottles of Obsession. One said she got the bottle her Mom had back in the day! Another said she had her bottle since high school and had recently broke it out.
Hmm! I think I am going to track down a vintage bottle to try!

Decodawn

Obsession is a masterpiece. Pure sex in a bottle. The first fragrance from Calvin Klein and I adored it from the first launch in 1985 when I turned 18. The fragrance is an Oriental, vanilla, amber, musky fragrance with a powdery and comforting drydown and perfect for Christmas time and winter evenings but this is not for the faint hearted so NO spritzing otherwise it can become overpowering and sickly. The best way to test the fragrance is to spray a little of the eau de parfum on to the inside of your wrist not on a piece of card as everyones body chemistry is so very different and it will be the 'Marmite' effect, you will either love it or hate it. I love it, it reminds me of happy memories from my youth and my husband of 20 years. RRP in Debenhams is £55.00, Superdrug currently selling 100ml bottle for £19.99.

lspreack
lspreack

My aunt used to year this all the time, and she was a bit heavy handed with this strong perfume. I havent smelled it for some time but I remember it being strong almost masculine too spicey for me at the time. Maybe I would appreciate it more now that my senses have matured. I do remember one Christmas she gave me a teddy bear, and must have sprayed it with her Obsession but I used to love to smell that bear it was so comforting and reminded me of her. The lingering smell on that bear was soft and warm with a slight powder.

polecat
polecat

I think I would have loved this scent if it weren't for the coriander and basil. I think herbal perfumes just don't work for me, they turn mouldy and musty on my skin at random.

Ignoring my problems with herbs - this is otherwise quite a complex, spicy almost edible smell. The incense is beautiful and the vanilla not too sweet.

Worth a shot if herbal stuff works with your chemistry!

Kysyona
Kysyona

My heart skipped a beat as I sniffed it again at a local drugstore: ah, memories... I always seem to tie the fragrances I wear to the memories linked to those times, so I have been always using scents as a mindmap, and this one leads me back to a stormy irish winter spent in Cork once upon a life, full of misty enigma-filled early mornings ( there's something almost supernatural about that time of the day at that time of the year in Ireland, I swear), soul-searching afternoons and heartbreaking love stories. This fragrance is not for someone who is enjoying an easy ride: it's a fighter scent, with a butch quality in it wonderously blended with the quintessential animalistic sensuality: wearing Obsession is like turning up on lover's doorstep wearing a rough wool coat over a stark naked body - that's exactly how nerve-wrecking and arousing this is: by being so rough it makes one feel extremely fragile under it!! Wool biting at the skin, whiskey unfolding its warmth in your mouth, fighting for the last square of bitter chocolate with best friends while cosying up in front of a fireplace, bone-chilling winds roaring outside almost sweeping stranded passers-by off their feet - that's the direction in which my emotions take flight when I sniff it. Amber, pine, moss, almonds all thrown into the pot and given a rough shake. After the drydown it does settle into a calm dense aura, but you smell it and just know that the storm is coming, because it has so much promise in it! Very unique - not like Opium at all, way more sensual and feminine imo. Alas, the plastic cap looks rather cheap, the bottle itself is sleek and rather masculine. Since there's very little sugar there it is probably appropriate and suits those rough qualities of the contents. When it comes to the name - it happened to have translated quite literally into my life: fell for a guy from work head over heals while wearing this, felt an almost compelling pull towards him, and it took me more that a year to shake off the spell, especially after I had a cold chill running down my spine when I saw a bottle of Obsession for men sitting on his bathroom shelf and thought: wow, talk about living up to the name of the perfume you've chosen...

KittyBaditty
KittyBaditty

I am not a fan of Obsession. On me it smells masculine, and conjures up images of my high school locker room. I can appreciate the heart of the fragrance, but I can't bear to wear this just for that. Smells awesome on my aunt though, all warm and spicy like mulled wine.

Janey1966
Janey1966

I first bought this perfume in the 1980s, then another, smaller bottle last year..and other perfumes inbetween. However, my mother in law did buy me Sheer Obsession a few years ago and it was lovely but I wanted the stronger version, hence my purchase of Obsession. I wanted that feeling back that I had when I first bought it. Powerful and confident but sensuous at the same time.

I must say, it is as stronger smelling now as it was way back then but I have now learned to tone it down a bit. The one thing I do not like is the COLOUR of the perfume. It actually stains clothing if you are not careful so please bear that in mind if you are purchasing it for the first time.

I do love perfumes that last a long time on my skin and this one fits the bill perfectly. And yes, I do wear it during the day depending on my mood!

Debiq
Debiq

OMG, for the first time I'm trying out htis perfume. Let me just say say that it is just the most bebautiful fragrances I've ever experienced. On t he opening it may seem a bit overwhelming but it immediately turns into a warm subtle spicy fragrance with sweet undertones...maybe vanilla?

I think this is a clasic fragrance that will be around for a long, long time.

FoxyVixen
FoxyVixen

With all the great reviews, I decided to try it long ago. And on the paper, the scent smells good, but on me, I don't know why but it smells like smoke/burnt stuff, same for Shalimar. It's deceiving

PS- did not like Must de cartier !!absolutly Not

beatrix75

I just adore this fragrance - it's warm, spicy, sexy and I especially love the long amber dry-down. It is a very strong scent, the scent will last all day long,its just perfect for autumn winter because it is so warm its make me so conforting warmt in a cold days like now days brrr i am 31 now i start to apreciat this frag and now its when i can say that its so feminine and so god smeling perfume and i am in love for again and its make me feel like i am home again with my family with mam and dad and its christmas and its cake and ....

ripetoast
ripetoast

I'm 21 and I generally like scents that are very sweet--like I may have just bathed in cupcakes and vanilla. When I was at work one day, I smelt a customer who smelled so wonderful that I had to ask her what she was wearing. I figured I would buy a bottle on ebay since I had liked the smell on her. For whatever reason, I decided to go to my mall and get a sample smell of the fragrance. After smelling it, I was repulsed. I had already bought the perfume online and it did not smell like how it did on the woman. I received my bottle in the mail today and decided to spray it on myself so I wouldn't feel like I had wasted any money. The more I smell it on myself, the more it grows on me. It's a very mature scent for me and definitely not something that I would wear everyday. However, the smell is wonderful. The warm, spicy, cinnamonish, musky aroma has some sort of nostalgia to it that takes me back to childhood. At this point, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

MeanSuga
MeanSuga

When I first thought about reviewing this, I thought this is not going to go well!
Another gift from my well meaning husband.
My husband is a decade older than me ( and I am no spring chickie) and I believe he gets his ideas of fragrance from the women who were part of his upbringing, very mature, strong, independant, well voiced and opinionated women - nothing wrong with that, an understatement - but sometimes these scents associated with them do not work well for me. He and I often have conflicting ideas on apparel, and such. Anyhow....
This scent looked dark, so I put away for the colder season.
When a brisk day arrived this fall, I wore, light handedly as I do with a new scent, on a Saturday shopping outing with my sister.
If I am wearing something over powering, or offensive to the super sensitive, my sister is one to let me know.
She asked me later what I had on, she really liked it. When I told her, she was surprised, she was under the impression this was something she would not like.
We both love spicy, incense-y, orange-y, but she figured this perfume was sort of a cliche,because of the popularity and ready availability.
I came home about 6 hours later, and my husband proclaimed I smelled like Old Spice, later he said English Leather, very very much to my dismay!!
I was pissy over these comments.
On Thanksgiving Day, I gave it another try. I found I loved this!
Dark, sexy, sensual, spicy, smokey, with a hint of tang ( must be the citrus/ bergamot), and comforting, as other reviewers stated. I gave it a light spritz and twirl before dressing and a dab on temples and smoothed my hands over my shoulders after dressing, so during family huggings I would give off a shade of this scent.
Before leaving for dinner, my husband grabbed me and man handled me heh heh and said" Damn Baby, you smell delicious!".
I do not know what happened between the first time wearing and the last time?
He must be attracted to the top and middle notes after a fresh apply? And not the base notes that appear later ?
Which is strange, because he always loved the fragrances of my choosing that are spicy and earthy, with some musk or civet.
He said nothing derogatory later that day on the second wearing.
Maybe he was jealous that I was going out smelling sexy,on the trial day, while he was stuck at home watching baseball with the guys? Whatever it was, I am going to stop guessing, and wear it for me and me alone! ;)

Corinne 16
Corinne 16

I adore this perfume, its sensual, sexy and long lasting. The warm, spicy scent stays with you for pretty much the whole day and is especially perfect for the colder months of the year.

celebrity89
celebrity89

I must admit, I wretched when this first came out. After 10 years it became one of my favorites. There truly was nothing like it on the market. An American classic.

jdenman
jdenman

I am a woman who will be 70 years old on my next birthday. I still feel very feminine, and wearing my favorite perfume (even when I'm home alone) enhances that sensation.

I discovered Calvin Klein's Obsession when I was 35 years old--half my life ago! It was first given to me by the wonderful man in my life at the time. Although our relationship only lasted eight years, my delight with Obsession never faltered.

Obsession is my signature scent. Although I sometimes wear another fragrance for a specific reason (usually, mood or event), I always return to Obsession. People who know me well mention "my" fragrance and how much they love it on me. Obsession is a magnificent fragrance, each note adding its contribution to the overall magic, yet the scent is not overpowering.

It is long-lasting (for me, at any rate), and I enjoy the scent that wafts to my own nose when I move around. I hope Obsession continues to be available for the rest of my life. I love it so much!

Lumiere

Obsession opened it's beauty for me in warmer weather. It is about plus 27 celsius-australian spring, with Xmas season tangibly approaching. Weekend, all house cleaned, so cosy and cool inside. Yeast dough is raising in the pot. Obsession is mysteriously addictive today-there is no longer masculine edge to her, she is smokey, spicey, incensy, sweet, warming. home made cookies, glintwein, smoke of the fire, cogniac, some other mysterious herbs come to my mind.

So Obsession needs warmer skin, or temperature,to open slowly it's bouqet of flavours.

Teezam
Teezam

Its a very classy, spicy and a delicious perfume..

Comes with an attitude... more suitable for a complex / classy women type doesn't go well with the childish / kinky/ lighght hearted mood setting

Had once gifted this to my girlfriend.. she wore it more for our formal evening dates, everytime she wore this made me want to take a bite...

aqua76239
aqua76239

Warm, ambery, spicy, sweet, heady, incensy, strong, sexy-thats Obsession. I tend to like lighter gormand scents so I don't think Obsession is quite my cup of tea but its a beautiful scent and can definately be considered a classic.
FYI, as soon as I smelled it, I thought it had some resemblence to Must de Cartier. Then I checked the reviews and clearly I am not the only person who thought that. Must de Cartier has the same sweet ambery incensy vibe.

PhattBass
PhattBass

Old formula: I have the bottle which has a gold rim around the bottom of the cap with sprayer not fixed into cap. Honestly, the same as the re-formulated version, except not harsh at all in the opening. So much smoother, but pretty much the same. There isn't a huge difference...

Re-formulated: This is the bottle with the dark brown cap with no gold rim around it. Warm, sweet & spicy. It opens up kind of harsh, but nothing terrible. The dry down is amazing, like cinammon-vanilla cookies or something. This stuff will last for hours and hours on the skin and for days on clothing. Even my cat likes this stuff as she was licking the part of my arm where I had applied it.

Still Obsession stands in shadows of Cartier Le Baiser Du Dragon in my mind. Obsession contains a ton more spicy notes. Its nice but Obsession will not be a favourite of mine. Longlasting.

Ännu står Obsession i skuggan av Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon i mitt medvetande. Obsession innehåller dock väldigt mycker mer kryddiga doftnoter. Den är trevlig men kommer inte att bli nån favorit. Hållbar på huden i alla fall..=)

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

I have held off writing a review for so long as it is hard to do this perfume justice in words.

I have the vintage "gold ring" . Ive never tried the new reform version , and after reading the coms on here , i dont wish to ! Luckly theres still a lot of the good stuff ( vintage!) to be found online . . . Im starting to hoard it before it becomes scarce.

I just ADORE this fragrance in winter. . spicy , warm , cinnamon vanilla amber goodness. It lasts forever on skin and clothes and has monster sillage. I couldnt ask for more!! If i spray at night and sniff my wrist when i wake up the next day , it does have a slight "B.O gone bad " whiff !! Must be that dammned civet . This isnt a problem though as i just wash it off and this stage only appears after 8-12 hrs , i can live with that. . . Plus , the amazing stage before MrCivet opos up is to die for. Men seem to love this perfume too.

Super sexy winter classic that all should try at least once , even if just for reference. The mans version is excellent also , and i sometimes wear it.

NaturalBlonde
NaturalBlonde

I think this is a beautiful, very mature scent. It's very warm and mature... Brings to mind those warm evenings by the fire whilst a snow storm rages outside. Feels like home. Elegant. Warm. Classic.

lollipopsneeze
lollipopsneeze

I love "Kiku's" and "Lisa's" review for Obsession, they really know this stuff..I've never been able to get on with Obsession, even with countless attempts. This one is a good example of perfume chemistry to me. It really does change with the wearer, and I think it's the animalistic notes in the base.. I once met a woman who wore this exclusively. Very beautiful soul, dark curly hair, caramel skin, and she had an outdoorsy essence, as if she spent a lot of time bathing in the sun & moon, riding horses, and baking homey foods. She was Gaia, the Earth Goddess to me..Ever since her association, I've always found this perfume perfect for earthy and seductive women, a great scent to get you in touch with your body, and your own personal chemistry...Obsession was gorgeous on her of course, unfortunately it does not smell the same on me...

Soie
Soie

Underneath the warm oriental scent of this lurks a note which smells like a forest. It's this one thing which has always kept me liking Obsession.

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

I wore this when it first came out. Liked it, but did not love it. I was young. Perhaps too young.

My ex wore the men's version, and I hated it, and him along with it.

Because of my aversion to the men's version, I have stayed away from the women's version up until a couple months ago when I decided to buy a purse mini just to have it in my collection since I'm a perfume whore.

HolyMaryMotherofGOD I love this stuff.

I can't stop buying the vintage used bottles on eBay. I'm obsessed... (oh, how tacky that sounds considering it's name but IT IS THE TRUTH!).

I have the 1980's bottles (sprayer in cap) and the kidney's ("splash cologne") with their gold trimmed orange-brown tops.

I have the 1990's bottles (sprayer no longer part of the cap, but the gold trim survived the decade change). These are pre-reformulation, and pre-Coty.

I have the 2000'sies reformulated Coty version. I actually find the new version fine. And considering how much of the original ingredients had to be replaced, I say that Coty did a stand up job. I keep the 2000 dark brown cap/no gold trim versions in my purse for later in the day over sprays. But in the morning, I use the vintage versions.

The 1980's bottle's top notes are, of course, deteriorated a bit, but since I never loved the harsh herbal/sorta bitter citrus opening, I'm very happy about it's demise. So, mostly, CK Obsession gets better with age. The liquid is dark, and thick, and luscious. The dry down notes are: civet, classic sweet-amber- vanilla (Obsession perfected this one!), and the not-so-secret unlisted note of cinnamon. I have noted leather, and a really good sweet pipe tobacco note as well. This version is my favorite, because of the top note deterioration. The dry down is the money shot, and superior in all ways to any future versions. The 90's versions will smell this good in another 10 years (I hope that prominent cinnamon I smell from the 80's versions shows up as well!).

The 1990's versions are wonderful in their own right, and eBay bottles abound for less than 30 cents per ml. These have "ripened" and the top notes are mostly intact. Subsequently the top to heart to dry down journey throughout the day is the authentic vintage one. Intoxicating. Mesmerizing. Orgasmic. I'll point out again that I feel like the cinnamon note is not quite so evident here. I did big side by side comparisons between my two generously sprayed arms. The 80's version, hands down, had the cinnamon. The 90's version: Not so much. And therein lies my core reason for preferring the 80's versions.

This stuff LOVES me, and I it. We are soul mates, twin sisters. I have a large rotation of perfumes, but if I have not started my day with Obsession, I always manage to end my day with it. Spraying it liberally on my Pj's and pillow case. It is truly like coming home.

I am grateful the gold band versions are still plentiful. I continue to stock up. How much is enough to last me my lifetime? Can I be embalmed in it? Okay, that last bit was a bridge too far. But you get the picture. I'm smitten.

If you need to dump or swap your gold band versions... PM me... I'll gladly take your babies off your hands. They will be adored.

akia vida
akia vida

An interesting scent. Interesting in a good way :)
The first half hour I should not be sniffing my wrist, ugh it just smelled weird, chemical.
On my clothes it smells really good, immediately.

After half an hour the scent on my skin developed in to something (erhm, pardon my lack of better words and for repeating myself :)): interesting.
I smell incense and spices... also a bit balmy in a good way.

Most incense tend to give me teary eyes and a headache, in this perfume I am happy to say that it does not give me a headache or teary eyes at all.

On my clothing I can detect the cinnamon and I even thought I smelled some citrus, but only in the far distance and it disappeared as fast as it whiffed by.

Like I mentioned at the beginning, I find this CK Obsession an interesting scent. I like it, not love. Great for fall and winter.

guest_Vie Cafe

This is a beautiful scent which is not without reminding me a little of the beautiful Fifi Chachnil but with a strong civet note that I cannot do with. I am sad I cannot wear this! It makes me smell like a skunk! I pull civet in fragrances ver strongly and it does not smell sexy on me. Just extrememly unpleasant.

Too bad because this is exactly the perfume I was looking for. Spicy-powdery-incense-vintage and mysterious... The bottle I bought was a 50ml part of a gift set, with a body lotion in a tube. The price tag on it ($54CAN) tells me that it must have been a few years old. I bought that box but tried the perfume itself from another bottle at the Bay, from what must have been a brand new reformulation. People say the new one is "mustier". Maybe I would not have gotten such a skunky civet with the one I had bought. Oh, well. I will never know now.

Sophie.love
Sophie.love

Wow !!!! Interesting perfume !!!! Much more interesting than beautiful ( smell ) .
It has the most important qualities : lasting power and strong sillage .
I don't thing that a perfume fits to young or old people , I thing that a perfume can be ageless or not , and Obsession is ageless, of course .
My nose can detect the green notes , perfectly mixed with incense,amber and spices .

diaspro42
diaspro42

Warm, sensual, with a strong note of bergamot. It lasts long on the skin and it is easy for people to notice it. The advice in the cold season or in the evening for a meeting gallant, but not dinner.

Elouelou
Elouelou

This was my Mum's signature perfume for years. It's such a lovely warm scent.

jesz
jesz

Some women might not like the scent in the bottle.. but it has a tendency to change with everyone's skin chemistry.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

A modern classic that is smooth, sexy, sultry and sensual. It's all about exotic spices, incense, sandalwood, musk, oakmoss and in the distance, florals that surrendered their innocence to the sensual attack of this smooth mixture of sex in a bottle.
Hours of passion carelessly wrapped up in black satin sheets...Or a walk through an autumnal forrest where bonfires are lit and are scented with natures spices.
Earthy and primal....this Obsession continues to lead us astray in the most delightful way. Forget 'cute', 'floral' or 'sweet' this is a wicked scent -- a wicked scent that has always been, and always will be part of my collection for all those cozy or wicked moods ; )

Silage is: "come hither....I know you can't resist." -- Longevity is: 8+ hours and the drydown is just as yummy as the first and middle stage: smooth amber and vanilla kisses. x.x.x

bobbyferrant
bobbyferrant

I honestly like this despite the negative conotations. On me its mostly spiced vanilla, incense, sensual salty skankiness & masculine woodiness..its just so warm & comforting, yet alluring & provative..dare i say 'love' !?

mhm1985
mhm1985

potent,classy,not for everyone,sexy but needs a mature woman,cause it's not suitable for teens and younger crowd,I can imagine a mid thirties woman, well dressed,at a cold night attending a soiree party.
main notes dedicated here are the amber and spices,a very dark spices,but towards the drydown,sandalwood,vanilla and hints of flowers appear, but without shadowing the spices and amber,after the drydown, what would u find are the civet combined with incense and vanilla
@ Nadia Albayati,I agree about the potent spices after few minutes of application, but after that other notes will show themselves, and spices will be sotened few hours later (honestly,several hours :) ),replaced by Civet to play the master role.
well done,jean guichard

lmktacwa
lmktacwa

It is so strange about this perfume. I do not smell the green notes at all. Usually I run for the hills as fast as I can away from green notes. And then, I swear I detect cinnamon in this. But it is not listed.

This is the perfect melding of all of my loves in perfume. Sweet. Oriental. Cinnamon. Incense. Amber. Huge sillage and longevity. Perfection!

I don't detect peach, but I love peach (or any of the opening citrus notes) and so perhaps that lends some of the sweetness. I don't smell the rose or the jasmine, which is a pity, but I am betting it's all part of the accord that I adore so much.

I have many loves in my perfume collection. But this one is my soul mate.

My sweetheart, the love of my life <3
It's my nr 1 compliment getter, it makes me feel like a real woman.
The best perfume ever made. Sexy, sweet and sophisticated. I love this one so much, I already have 2 100ml back ups. I can't imagen living without this.

Lumiere

I had to get this Obsession after reading so many reviews. Like most of other buys, blind buy-well, it is never blind, all happens for a reason, including buys:) My first thought is that it reminds me of Tabu, though Tabu is much deeper, warmer and darker female. Green notes in Obsession make it sound in higher octaves, more on masculine edge, sweeter, even more refined, but also colder. i have to remove this association with tabu and then I will come up with another review. So far, Obsession is not so dark as some of my other perfume. Not so shameless either.

Whit
Whit

Ahhh, good ole Obsession! This was my mom's signature for years. Of course she had other frags, but this is what everyone knew her by. I never wore it because even though I thought it was beautiful, it was just too strong for me. Now that I'm older, I'm really digging Obsession. Yes, it's a total sillage bomb and the perfume is very strong on me, so to compromise I bought the body lotion which is still quite strong but wearable. It's actually a bit masculine on me but it turns into this soft yet spicy powdery aroma that is very alluring. This is an unmistakable scent as I can always pick it out in the crowd but a classic one nonetheless. Warm, spicy, powdery and sexy; perfect for fall and winter.

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

I have worn this several times now, and I really dislike it; it is my least favorite perfume in my collection right now. A green note sings above a powdery one. That is interesting, but the scent just stays a bit green, a lot bitter, and powdery on me. It never dries down beautifully, to my mind. So, this one is going to be a giveaway. I bought the mini which I'm starting to do often with a blind buy/buy based upon recs.

I couldn't help but think of Shalimar when I wore this perfume. At first, I didn't like it, but it grew on me. This one...I don't see that happening. Shalimar's outset can be a bit off putting, but the dry down is exquisite. This...not enough sweet to balance the bitter.

Platinum_girly
Platinum_girly

I dislike this scent. The base notes hit a really heavy amber note complete with dead animal. It is not sexy in the least, it makes me think of roadkill. Yuck!

suhaesa
suhaesa

i am in holiday now and i don't have it with me for the first time in almost 20 years i travel without obsession, so i was waiting to go back and spray it to get inspired to write about it..but i just couldn't wait any longer ,after all i am obsessed with obsession ..its in my blood ,i feel its a part of my chemistry ,. there isn't a day that goes by without me at least opening the cap and sniffing it ,it just puts me in a better mood and defenetly makes me happier and more relaxed ..its excellent base for other perfumes its so musky powdery confident independent true and ever lasting it melts in to my being and its not the type that will change it stays pure and strong richer and more profound..its ambarry but not overwhelmingly so, its got a hint of vanilla, and its amazing when mixed with amber romance(victorias secrete) body spray, they r just a match made in heaven for me...so out of this world..
i got my first bottle when i was 13, as gift from my beloved eldest brother, and fell in love from the first sniff, and its not that easy for to fall in love that fast.. its my one true love that i can never let go of... that first bottle broke on the staircase the next morning as i was going to school, it fell out of my bag so i waited a whole year until i was out of Africa to get hold of another bottle.. and cherished it forever, i sill have it...there is nothing that compares or even comes close to obsession.. it carries my DNA and all my life and memories.. its so warm, so special, so amazing in every sense of the world ..the only problem is that i used to use the deodorant from it, and i cant seem to find it any where ,if any one where i can get hold of some ,i will be more than happy please help..

rating 10 out of 5 !
its a master piece

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Terrible, this is an absolutely suffocating concoction.

Containing a myriad of elements, all probably as indistinguishable as each other- this is mass market designer-ing at its best.

The huge problem here is the poor blending. It also feels very dated, heavy non-sweet powder thrown on top of greeny-medicinal herbs. The oakmoss here is harsh and unrestrained, and the billowing powder choking and relentless. I feel amber and a bitter cinnamon amidst the 'parfum-fog' but this is really as close to 'witches' potion' as you'll get. Bewildering, heavy, dated and poor attempt at spicy-sweet all at once.

It is listed as sweet, but sweet can also be 'choking' and this is just that. This 'old classic' is anything but sensually sweet refinement.

1/5.

candymarie

So many of the negative reviews here seem to address the top notes only. While I understand why some people wouldn't enjoy them, the heart and base definitely make them worth putting up with, in my opinion, if you like spicy vanillic orientals. Obsession is what I would call a perfume's perfume. Even the reformulation, which I prefer, is representin' quite nicely! And astounding to think, in the face of the mainstream releases of today, that Obsession is mainstream and not niche.

NeoJezebel
NeoJezebel

I don't like this perfume. The reason being that it smells utterly incredible on my best friend, but horrible on me. So unfair.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Oh my!!!I have history with this masterpiece! Our paths will forever be intertwined... Eighties fashion takes alot of hits nowadays understandibly, but this decade was one of firsts for me and fashion as well.I came of age. Women's fashion suddenly took a spin. Women wore makeup, miniskirts, hairspray...perfume. And ALOT OF IT. This all seemed to be making up for the no-frills seventies which was the wasteland of self expression , at least in a fashion sense. Nothing but jeans and t-shirts. Next comes over the top exces, but boy was it fun!! Everyone was dancing..clubs were filled with black leather and doc martens.It was during this time that I decided Obsession was the sexiest scent ever, and I had to own a bottle.
Obsession; although being the "It" frag of the time, was kind of pricey and at the time out of my reach. I was delighted when I was living in Scotland, my boyfriend there bought me a big bottle, not because he knew I loved it(he didn't) but because it was his favorite women's frag and he wanted to be able to experience me wearing it. Well, it seems to be a running favorite with men everywhere, smells like the holidays and sex. Reminded me of Opium. Sweet and spicy tempered with vanilla and oakmoss on those lucky ones. At times,I even detect the sweet-tart baked apple note in the mix.

Well, I was wrong-my husband dislikes Obsession. In his words,It reminds him of some dated perfume his mother wore decades ago...

judyk
judyk

I suppose it's unfair to say I dislike Obsession. It's more a case of it dislikes me.

I bought a small vintage "gold ring" edp spray along with a couple of other fragrances from the same seller, who kindly included an extra half-full bottle of Obsession with my order. :-)

I was so looking forward to my first Obsession Experience but when it hit my skin all I could smell was cinnamon plaster dust. I'd sprayed it a few times into the sink to clear out any stale perfume before applying - but this smelt like the whole bottle was off! I tried the second one and it was just the same. :-(

Today I had the opportunity to try a (current formulation) tester in store... No prizes for guessing - it smelt exactly the same. I don't know which ingredient it is but it clearly doesn't get on with my skin chemistry. {sigh}

ETA 15Aug14 - I discovered some time ago, but forgot to update here, that I have identified the culprit. It's sandalwood. Some sandal-heavy perfumes are fine, but others... the very same plaster dust smell overpowers everything else.

joliecat
joliecat

Ah, Obsession for Women ! Reformulated ? Yes, but still extremely strong and super spicy ! Spices and incense are domainant, but the florals here bloom, too, for a deeply feminine touch. Subltle citrus gives way to deep ambery vanilla base. Thankfully, there's NO synthetic rubbery smell, as in other reformualted perfumes.

Compared to YSL original formula Opium, and compared to Dana Tabu, Obsession is equally as STRONG. But Obsession is less oriental, complex and exotic than original Opium, and less naughty,thick and syrupy than Tabu. ALL 3 of these are favorite timeless grownup classics.

Obsession is one of the few perfumes with intensely strong silage and longevity. Obsession will stay on your skin until you wash it off. A little goes a long way.

gmstrack
gmstrack

When I was a teenager, the idea of wearing perfume seemed ridiculous; only bimbos and old ladies would spritz themselves down with “embalming fluid”. I was too busy wearing black, listening to counter culture music (whatever that is), and pretending to not care. Needless to say, I never wore any of the classic fragrances from the late 80s/ mid 90s. Recently, I purchased a bottle of designer juice at the local small town drug store, and hoped for the best. Wow. Obsession is a first-rate production, complete with an eclectic cast of characters. The opening is abrasive with an icky soapy-green burst that makes one wonder why Obsession is classified as a spicy oriental. On the skin, it begins to unfold chaotically, leaving a trace of (almost off-putting) powder. Next, a cute and fuzzy animalic note (civet) politely says hello, instead of throwing a Bal a Versailles middle finger. Slowly, the green-forest-creature-powder begins to expose amber and spices and after about 30 minutes the premise that this is not a spicy oriental turns on its head. This is the spicy oriental. Incense, vanilla, sandalwood, and spices are now the main actors, while the rest of the cast quietly scampers on and off the stage as supporting characters.

In an attempt to understand Obsession, I applied it to one side of my body and Ambre Sultan to the other. At first, the bombastic Serge Lutens seduced me with delicious sweaty-sweetness, which made Obsession seem like a powdery mess. But, as time progressed it was clear that Ambre Sultan simply turned down the volume, while Obsession told me a story. In fact, I would go as far as to say Ambre Sultan could be a stand-in for one of Obsession’s actors.

When I wear Obsession I tend to pair it with a cotton T-shirt and dark eye make-up—the teenager in me definitely approves!

Tenacity: 5/5
Sillage: 5/5
Overall: 5/5 (Ambre Sultan 4/5)

tiasupari
tiasupari

First time wore this perfume was 20 years ago, and always keep one bottle on my drawer until now. It is very strong yet sexy, however need when it's too much as it last for at least 12 hours and more suitable in cold weather
Always give me warm feeling wearing it, even now I enjoy to smell layer by layer of its different and dominant scents from top notes to base notes and the longer I wear it the more subtle musky scent will linger.

my44444
my44444

I was "abusive" with Obsession!! Bottle, after bottle, after bottle....it was just my go-to, many years ago. Haven't had this fragrance near me in a very long time. While my tastes for fragrances are ever changing, I hope this is never discontinued. It is iconic!!!

endre.pernup
endre.pernup

Ah, the smell of it.

kitty27
kitty27

Everyone wore this one to death when I was in high school, except one of my friends and myself. I was recently in a dept, store with my 20 yr old daughter and smelled this again. This is FANTASTIC! After the initial spray, it settled down quickly (less than a half hour). All I could think was "da*n this smells good. After running errands and starting dinner (about 4 hours) I reached up to get something and smelled it again on my arm and again thought how good it smelled. Fragrances have a tendency to turn very sweet on me, but later in the day the only way I can describe this is like a syrupy spiced honey vanilla liqueur, but not in the sickening sweet way, in the best yummy way. At 42, I didn't think I'd go back to anything from the 80's but I think this one will definitely be on my dresser.

candymarie

Is this the grand poobah of spicy-vanillic orientals, or what!!?? I put off reviewing it, I guess, because I couldn't find right words, which I still can't, so I'll just weigh in with Mmmmmmmmm!

And knowing the civet used these days is synthetic makes it okay for me. (I could never knowingly wear something that contained real civet.)

One more thing: I love its fascinating drydown. Like Samsara, the fact it ends up so far from where it begins makes it all the more exciting and luscious.

KSBelle
KSBelle

I tried this on after smelling the male version of it. With the male version it was love at first sniff. Not so with Obsession for women. I coiled back in disgust at the first spray. Then, on the way home something happened. Within 20 minutes or less this perfume blossomed. It went from a pine tree car air freshner scent to a milky chai incense with soft amber and sandalwood. There was a calm feminine blend of smokiness and caramel sweetness. I had been in search of a powdery incense, and little did I know it was under my nose the whole time. I'd never given much thought to Obsession before. Now I'm torn between buying a large bottle of this, Obsession Night, and Must de Cartier. Though knowing me, I will probably end up with all of them. My perfume wardrobe varies to the extreme, and I really enjoy layering Obsession with my other fragrances- specifically vanilla, powdery, agave, and chocolate scents. I find Obsession sweeter than Must de Cartier, and both are good enough to eat up. A little goes a long way, and this may be a fragrance that I may selfishly keep for my own noses enjoyment. I can see how this rich tapestry of fragrance could easily envelope everyone and everything around it. Some people may find this offensive or threatening. "Eat or be eatten", should be the disclaimer on the box. In my case, I've gobbled it up and asked for more! Yum!

slgonzal
slgonzal

Obsession is a wonderful perfume that I have always wanted to add to my stash! If you like this perfume, you may also like Guess (the original scent), Poison (the original), or my recent favorite, Givenchy Amarige.

Jvs3005
Jvs3005

No pen can describe this gorgeous smell.
Harsh, extremely fresh and energetic at the top, sour-sweet and soft ambery at the base. Slightly animalic to me too. Contradictions, I love them. Never too green, never too sweet, never too smokey/woody. Perfectly balanced for me.

Awakening in the morning, comforting during the day, soothing in the evening. Not outstanding enough for me as a night time fragrance though (as I like to wow when going out and wear a smokey, deeply feminine scent)

Sillage is enormous at the top, but evolving from top to heart and from heart to base, the perfume wears closer and closer to the skin (which is normal I guess :) ), but I don't mind, the mayor part of the time no one has to be able to smell my perfume except I and my boyfriend.

No one seems to wear this scent over here either, so I consider that to be a plus too :).

EDIT: Went to see my bf last thuesday with this one on, and was there again yesterday. I went to bed and -amazingly- smelled Obsession in the sheets yesterday night. This one lasts like crazy! BF didn't like it too much though, because it's a very 'present' smell. he could smell me from a meter away and he didn't really like that a lot :).

mi-jo.sayegh
mi-jo.sayegh

This is the perfume that got me back into collecting perfumes again (I was literally down to two, which for me is pretty darn good)
This review is for the reformulation. What can I say about this perfume, I love it so much I wish to call it my signature scent except I rarely wear it for fear of growing too used to the smell. I know a lot of people describe it as loud and obnoxious , but on me it really isn't. It mixes with my chemistry so well and I feel it literally blends into my skin (incense and amber mostly)
My grandmother hugged me when I was wearing it and said I smelled amazing, when I told her what it was she was shocked as she had tried it out a few years while on respite from her normal Coco and it was too harsh on her. If I love the new one this much (which everyone says is a pale imitation of the original) I am scared I would fall so deeply in love with the vintage that I would spend the rest of my days searching for old bottle online, therefore , I will stick with the one I have for the moment ;)

Obsession is a warm spicy comfort scent. I am wearing the new reformulated version, and its not bad. The vintage I remember from the 80's seemed a bit deeper and smoother, but maybe that's nostalgia. I think today's Obsession is slightly "mustier" but retains most of the same warm spiciness of the original. This fragrance always reminded me of sweet spiced tea.

gazelle
gazelle

By the process of elimination, I have found that several fragrances with AMBER (in combination with other notes) do not agree with me. Obsession is one of those potent, delicious, sexy, fragrances I should love to wear, but alas, I can't, at least not for long. I can thank Fragrantica for listing notes and reviewers for listing the prominent note, in this case, AMBER. I cannot tell how exciting learning this is for me. Seriously, it's my A-ha moment. Thanks, Fragrantica and fellow fragranticans. <3

Aprilily
Aprilily

Decadent, room rockin', big hair, mini skirts--ahhh, the 80's! Love this fragrance-it's truly a classic. I wore this a lot-it was perfect for a night out, or a night in. Warm incense, spices and vanilla; right up my alley. I need to revisit this beauty.

Nmsekhmet
Nmsekhmet

One of the most unique and recognizable scents ever. Just look at the number and length of the reviews!!

Tsugumi_
Tsugumi_

This fragrance is а part of my life being а part of the dearest memories of mine.

Very spicy oriental fragrance.

The most noticeable notes are spices notes, the mandarin note, the oakmoss note and the incense note.

I would say that this fragrance smells like a fairy-tale enchanting potion, only its magic doesn't work on me, because the background seems cheap and the spices seem too annoying.

mendosita
mendosita

Mmmm, Obsession... This fragrance is special. It's nothing like nowadays frutti-florals that are so popular everywhere. Obsession is not for everybody.
First time I tested it it was like someone hit me in my head. I couldn't bare it. Then I fould a blotter in my pourse and I couldn't stop sniffing it.
Second test was a lot easier because I knew what to expect- the fragrance is very very strong, very rich, very sultry. One spritz is enough for all day. It lasts up to 10 hours.
There are some flowers in it, but I don't smell them at all. Incense and amber are taking over the fragrance. People don't like it, they have difficulty with reception. It is obviously too old fashioned to be popular.

desertrat
desertrat

LOVE it! This is Jane Fonda's signature fragrance according to a recent interview.

SheTurtle
SheTurtle

It must be my body chemistry.

I really was in love with this scent from the opening and the middle. It was warm, spicy, sexy...everything I want in a soft, spicy oriental, and it fell apart in the dry down. All of a sudden, it started smelling like toothpaste, and I was so out of love.

Now I know why I never bought it over twenty years ago. That is why I never make a blind buy on a perfume. I will try it on at the store, and wait for it to develop fully. Then I make up my mind.

Big letdown.

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

Way out of my comfort zone. I don't like it at all.

I will say this though, you get your money's worth with this one. Its strong and lasts all day. Definately no need to reapply through out the day. Once you put it on this monster isn't going anywhere.

Use lightly ladies... please !I don't like spicy scent

sally.boxhall
sally.boxhall

I had this first in a solid & loved it. I probably wore it constantly for a couple of years, season irrelevent (I was in my early 20`s). When at last I could afford a BIG bottle I went for it! Until - one time I called for my friend to go out for the evening, her husband came outside to chat to me while I waited & started to check over his parked motorbike - eventually he stated `this bike must have a leak somewhere because I can smell fuel very strong around here`. I think I overdid it. Gave the rest of the bottle to my sis. Use with caution!

Tracyellen1619
Tracyellen1619

Although I wouldn't wear it to work or out with friends, I would definitely wear it for myself on a day at home. Yes, yes, it's the nostalgia factor. This is THE iconic eighties scent. Nothing else comes close, except, perhaps Giorgio from the early part of the decade. Warm, spicy, bold. Tons of sillage, this will make the fragrance phobes completely lose it. Subtle it's not. I think a girl in her late teens or early twenties could wear this and totally rock it. She would definitely be unique and different, not like she's wearing some VS or BBW body spray. She'd get noticed, although I guess there is the danger that someone might associate it with mom or grandma, but if she has a strong personality, it could be a winner. When I was in my early twenties (yes, back in the eighties) I worked with a girl my age that wore Youth Dew. Very unexpected and it smelled divine on her. I love passing someone that wears a memorable fragrance!!!

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

What a powerhouse! I like this alot. I had a 1.5 ounce bottle...wore it daily...bottle lasted me for 2 years! Amazing.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

A super hot fragrance - by that I mean it shares a similar top note which I also find present in Knowing, Giorgio Red, Toujours Moi and Christian Dior's Farenheit for men - its a warm almost estinguished candle note which reminds me of when a match has just been lit then blown out - this sounds weird but I love this smell and it is very sexy. This is a warm, sultry fragrance which will wear the owner if it doesn't suit their chemistry. On me it is a warm spicy number with an almost dried ginger type quality - though not in the christmas/festive season type of spice as there is no cinnamon/clove on my skin which stops it smelling like dentistry or a christmas pudding. It has a slight burnt caramel undertone and the citrus is more of an oriental mandarin than lemon (I cannot wear citruses as a rule) and dries down to a warm powdery incense in the style of Avon Imari but more oomph. Yes this does smell a tad dated - like an 80s jacket you just pulled out of the closet but in a good way a very original and beautiful perfume.

pum.ohse
pum.ohse

Strong, adult and complex. I like the drydown on others, but is not for me at all.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

Back in '85 when everyone was wearing this I opted out. At the time is was too strong and oppressive for me - or so I thought. Today when the fashion has changed so far the other way I find myself turning to this as an antidote to the tide of sugary fruit juice. Now I really enjoy it's gorgeous spicey, ambery warmth. It feels wonderfully rich and deep - it has a real character and it develops beautifully on the skin for hours. I do think it has been reformulated and it is a little softer. This means you don't need to be quite as cautious with application as you did with the original. I am glad I have finally come to appreciate it and it's earned it's place my collection.

diego.lesgart

Similar al de hombre. Dulce. Original. Me encanto, excelente el primer frasco, gran creacion...

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

hmmm.. strange, the first time I tried it, I hated it. Really did. Couldn't wash it off me fast enough. This time, I like it a lot. It is strong, I get no sense of powder or vanilla from it (which is really good in my case). So what will happen when I tried it for the 3rd time?

Shydaniels
Shydaniels

Warm, spicy, and very sexy. A decadent woman drinking spiced rum and showing a bit too much cleavage.

Karen.M.OShaughnessy
Karen.M.OShaughnessy

Ended up wearing this back in the 90's--an old boyfriend said it was his favorite perfume on women--also my supervisor wore it & I liked it. Haven't worn it in awhile though.

banbonet
banbonet

mom's signature scent (along with chanel5) i love it. it's funny - i was reading some of the comments and i came across the words "secure" more than once... and that 's how i feel when i smell it. i have a small bottle and whenever i feel like i want to be close to my parents and childhood, i give this a smell. i do love it. it truly brings out amazing feelings and memories for me.

thehanna
thehanna

Very sexy and less cloying than other 80ties orientals. Still, a bit dated and acrid. Also, so much sillage and strength you should use very sparingly. I spray it in the air once and walk through it.

Wearing any perfume that came out 20-30 years ago to great popularity leaves you running the risk of smelling like someone's mom, not because it is a mom-like scent but because she or her friends used to wear it.

That said, it smells great on some people. It is a go to date perfume and GUARANTEES adoring compliments, even from guys who you would think don't like perfume.

CubanFairyTaleBeauty
CubanFairyTaleBeauty

Very sexy and long lasting. A classic scent that never goes out of style.

yettb
yettb

I have worn this for years off and on and a little definately goes a long way it is warm vanilla and spice to me and I just got a new bottle (it does make me think of wearing shoulder-pads!) but I still enjoy it and it really is a sexy fragrance I do prefer Men's obsession and have never tired of my husband wearing that as well

lily13ana
lily13ana

I own it now and i must say that is the most long lasting perfume that i have ever had.I have the reformulated version and is intoxicating and rich. My fav now.

Edit: this and poeme are the only reasons to wait for the next winter, because obsession smells very harsh in warm weather and poame doesn't last log and neither develops well. But in winter are the most used perfumes i have, even though poeme is beautifull in summer too, more floral and less dense.

romrom
romrom

Such a wonderful scent, very comforting, I love cinnamon and amber in it, The mild spice is subtle with soft citrus notes and warm vanilla with a hint of incense. I had a bottle many years ago and I remember getting a lot of compliments on it.

id
id

it is a monster in the modest bottle. Longevity is more than 24 hours on my skin. Sillage is huge and gets better and better after applying. I advise to use it with caution in order not to overdose. Best for cold season. Take a time while testing - and I highly recommend this fragrance. For men, too.

Annelien1987

@ Good Girl, you are NOT the only one. I'm 24 and i'm obsessed with obsession. Great name for this perfume because I'm really obsessed with it.

G00D_Girl
G00D_Girl

This perfume came out the year after I was born... and surprisingly I really like it. Its defiantly not an every day sent for me, but every-once and a while it is nice.

I find Obsession on it own can be a little harsh, however in moderation and combined with TBS Vanilla Perfume Oil it is soft, warm,snuggly and sexy.

Is there anyone else in there 20s that likes this perfume or am I the only one? lol

HanSpan
HanSpan

I've not tried the reformulated version but made an expensive mistake with this back in the 80s. I absolutely loved it on a colleague - I used to follow her around sniffing the air. However when I bought a bottle and tried it myself - yuck. I had to roll down the car windows and stick my head out to stop feeling sick! Shame.
I wonder if its worth trying the new version, but I shall try it in a shop several times before I even consider buying it.

miriel
miriel

Very high quality perfume. I was surprised by its sweetness as I was expecting a spicy bomb like old Opium. But this is heavy with vanilla and amber. It has spice but for me it smells mostly like a smoky, dark, 'dirty' vanilla. I love it!!

Lushylori
Lushylori

When I was younger I was gifted this Perfume quite a few times by my sister or when my sister gifted my mother with it,my Mother would pass it off to me.I really didn't care for it back then but I'm finding that I crave the smell of obsession now in my perfume collection.Maybe because its been a decade and I've grown up in my scent taste or maybe because I crave the memories and comfort that I had at the time when I used to wear this...Not sure but I'd love to own it again.I always liked the bottle as well :) My husband wore the mens version and he smelled sooooo good even though I find that the men and womens version smell A LOT alike.I'd only wear this for a winter/Fall scent and I'd only wear this one at night.Its a very Cozy scent IMO :)

tsukiko820
tsukiko820

@katiushka i have experienced the same things. right words: love-hate this perfume. 1 second i like it, and right then i cant even smell it --- considering of passing it to someone else.

katiushka
katiushka

I have a love-hate relationship with this perfume. The first time I smelled it, it was wonderful - it smelled like incense to me, a very good incense - uplifting and almost bewitching, as if I found myself in an enchanted land. When I wear it, people often ask me what perfume I use. However, on certain days it smells absolutely disgusting. I spray only one spray on my wrists, and it is still very strong and lasts the whole day.

Annelien1987

It's weird but I wore this perfume to a funeral today. It gave me a secure feeling, it made me calm, it wrapped me in a warm and comfortable blanket/cloth of amber, vanilla, spices and musk.

It's special but still very wearable.
I used to hate this so much but I've learned to appreciate it. This one needs to grow on you.I am in my early twenties, still young. It's a grown - up perfume, with the civet note (I normally hate..) but it's not overwhelming. But you can wear it if you want. Perhaps not under 20 (but if you want, you can ofcourse).

It's warm and soft. A classic fragrance. This is the one you need to have in your collection. Highly recommend it. But it needs to work on your skin. This one works best (for me) in very cold weather, 3 - 4 sprays. I love it. Glad I finally bought a mini bottle (30ml, 1oz). When this one finishes, I'll buy the biggest one. It's timeless. I love it.

Update: still my alltime favorite perfume. I have a large collection but this one... love it, Just pure love, I adore it even. I hope they never discontinue this, I would die.

maria-swe
maria-swe

I agree. The new obsession (reformulated version) is rather too strong and too bold. It starts off the same as the older edp but yeah.. it's not as pleasant on the dry down. it smells too plastic

tiffingirl
tiffingirl

I am testing the older EDP (with the gold rim around the cap) and the newer formulation. They start off very much the same. The drydown, however, is different. The older one is deep, vanillic and spicy. The newer one is plasticky, with an unpleasant "play-doh" note. The older one smells rich and sensual, less sweet. The newer one smells harsh - it has been cheapened.

If you like vintage Obsession I recommend you try Anne Pliska and Les Nereides Opoponax.

MMC
MMC

Na minha opinião esse perfume é muito ruim,seco de uma maneira agressiva.Quase comprei sem experimentar, seria um desastre.Dor de cabeça com certeza.Melhor testar na pele antes de comprar,parece DANA TABU mas muito pior.

sofababe
sofababe

Spicy but in no way sharp, Obsession is smooth, sensuous and exotic, and very definitely a product of the 80s. Calvin Klein's 80's perfumes are the best from that decade, they are the only ones that I owned back then that I will still wear and enjoy. I have an ancient bottle of Obsession (the short bottle without a spray) in a rather battered box but because you really need to use so little I'm quite sure it will last another 20 years.
I am wearing Obsession today(Sunday), I am spending the day at home catching up on chores and work, then seeing some friends this evening, and I have to say I find Obsession perfectly appropriate for both occasions.
The amber and vanilla which appear in the drydown are warm and delicious, a lovely cosy combination on an icy January day in England.

LadyGNotGaga
LadyGNotGaga

I dont usually like this one but on the right man it can be nice, if he is suave and possibly Continental..Most times, its too tobacco-y and animal-y, for your modern American male. In fact I read an article that said Big Cats in the zoos react sexually to this fragrance! So, if youre a zookeeper or on a safari you might want to leave this one alone.

kurabiye
kurabiye

Nopasho
I agree with you but there is less smellworthy european perfume and much less buyworthy ....They change the composition even the best classics and made the variation perfumes. İst disgusting.
İst disgusting every second a nwe so called perfumes that does not las 2 seconds but yous have to pay as much as expensive because of their brand.
I saw the perfume you had ı envy although ı had a little wardrobve of perfumes.
OBsession make me think Must of Cartier.

nopasho
nopasho

I admit: as a European I have long held the 'perfume superiority' of France and Italy as a simple, nong disputable fact of life. Americans only make sugary cotton candy syrup that they can pour over their jumbo vanilla ice creams. I hadn't discovered the frags of the great Estée Lauder yet. And when I 'found' 'Obsession' by Calvin Klein, I had to admit honestly: these Americans can make as great and magical and intricate a perfume as the French can! For me 'Obsession' is top quality, right under the pantheon of über classics like 'Chanel 5', but I'm sure this iconic American frag will in the next years be admitted in the 'Walhalla of Timeless Classic Perfumes'. CK has since launched a lot of frags, has had baffling commercial succes, but as a perfume, 'Obsession' still shines bright but lonely as his one and true perfume masterpiece. I remember that in perfumeries snobby french speaking ladies in my country could not and would not believe that this beautiful fragrance was made in the land of MacDonalds and 'American Pie, the Movie'. 'C'est pas possible, ces cowboys ne peuvent pas fabriquer ça. Impossible!' But true. 'Obsession' is a complex, dense, gorgeous 'Coco'-esque exceptional fragrance. A hit from its launch in 1985 and still going strong in 2012. I don't know about the eventual reformated one, I have a bottle from the nineties and it is 'da bomb'! The 'inventor' was French nose Jean Guichard. It was his first big perfume and an immediate sensation and hit. Artistically and commercially. The impossible marriage between 'creativity' and 'big number sales' had succeeded. Nose Guichard would go on to prove his talent beyond 'one hit wonder status' by making high quality, wearable, but yet very distinct perfumes like 'Eden' (1994) and 'Lou Lou' (1987) by Cacharel, 'So Pretty' (1995) by Cartier, 'Celine for women' (2001), 'Parfum de Peau' (1986) by Montana, 'Donna Trussardi' (1994)... before cashing in after 2001 with flankers like 'L'Air du Temps Colombe Couleur' (2006) by Nina Ricci and recently celeb scents like 'Shine' by Heidi Klum (2011). But 'Obsession' remains the nearest he came to 'nose genius'. And it is one of the few great perfumes where perfume artistry is happily married to commercial appeal.
How did he pull this off for his first big frag?
Top notes: Green notes, mandarin, vanilla, peach, bergamot, lemon, basil
Middle notes: Spices, coriander, sandalwood, orange blossom, jasmine, rose, cedar, oakmoss
Base notes: Amber, musk, vanilla, civet, musk, incense, vetiver
It is classified as an 'Oriental Spicy'. True, because although most notes of a chypre are in this frag (oakmoss, bergamot, wood) there is no patchouli (the 3rd or 4th element of a true chypre). The feel of 'Obsession' is also not light, green and effervescent but hypnotic, addictive, sultry, sensual, heavy, rich, opulent and totally seductive. Irresistable. Like a real 'Obsession', right. This frag is mixed to perfection and the notes are totally and perfectly fused IMHO. I think that's the key and secret of 'Obsession': the selection and combination of notes that are fused toally and seemlessly together so that 'Obsession' comes on to you like inescapable, overwhelming femme fatale that makes you happy silly putty in her manicured hands. 'Obsession' seduces you from the first formidable whiff where you smell the promise of paradise at the tip of your nose. You know you'll be ruined and abandoned by the femme fatale in the end or just wanting more of her like a true 'addict', but you let it happen with a silly smile of sheer pleasure on your face, you enjoy the ride of pure pleasure while it lasts, you succomb willingly to the spell of her magical powers and sheer seductive force. Knowing full well that you'll propably be back for more. Maybe the next day she'll be gone or look like somebody else, but right now you don't care, you am under the spell of this most incredible of fragrance halo's. And you can come back for more. No different linear notes to seduce here like a young girl trying to play the femme fatale, by flashing a see through plastic spaghetti bra strap here, a piece of spray tanned upper leg there, a tattooed or small ring-pierced belly button under a too short 'Hello Kitty' T shirt or -worst of all- a thong 'whale tale' above the jeans-waist, which combines by the way great with 'Britney's Fantasy' and 'Jessica's Fancy', but definitely not with 'Obsession'. Or maybe... 'Obsession' is a classy femme fatale that envelops you like a 'Black Widow' in her mighty aura and sophisticated web. It is the sheer intricate and complex monolitic-like 'wall of scent' that makes 'Obession' so powerful. All those 22 notes are mixed and fused into a heady femme fatale seduction brew that only a 'woman', be she 20 or 75 it is not a matter of age, but a woman who knows a thing or two about life, who experienced some things in life, a woman who knows life is complicated, is neither black nor white nor grey but all shades of colour within, a woman who knows that the art of seduction and attraction is what separates the women from the 'girls', that this is real 'woman power', can wear in its total glory. This is no scent for Justin Bieber fans, with all due respect.
Out of this inescapable 'wall of fused notes' some are for my nose on my skin more 'present': the incense, the spices, the amber... But for other wearers it it will be the vanilla, the jasmine, the coriander... That is the beauty of this complex fragrance. It is a chameleon that always keeps it total presence there but beyond that gives you also little surprises during the long development. One note pops up and then fades away, you get a flash of another note, a peep of yet another... but all the time 'Obsession' keeps its mighty presence. This is a fragrance for strong women because 'Obsession' is so 'there' that it can take over the rest of your carefully put together visual presence. You might wear a Versace dress, Jimmy Choo shoes, a La Perla bra of which the lacey straps are visible or a sharp taylored Chanel 'deux pièces' with some cleavage showing, your hair freshly done, but when you wear 'Obsession' chances are very high that most people (99% of the men for sure!) you talk to, don't see your clothes, shoes, make up or hair, but secretly and discretely sniff away, nod to you without really hearing what you are saying and just enjoy and admire your fragrance. So this is a big 'no no' for business meetings and 'break up rendez vous', but great for dates, for seduction, to boost your confidence, to overcome the 'commitment fear' of your bf/fiancé or to just enjoy on your own skin a mighty, intricate perfume masterpiece.
Contrary to most later Calvin Klein frags, the sillage of 'Obsession' is impressive and the longevity great. And the bottle has already become iconic. This is the 'Coca Cola bottle form' of perfumes.
Like with Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel, here namesake fragrance lives on long after she's gone. Calvin Klein will live on in only one of his fragrances, I'm afraid. Not in his CK One and the tens of flankers, not 'In2U', not in 'Eternity'... But in this original and iconic masterpiece: 'Obsession'. Calvin, you have launched a lot of fragrance duds during the years following your 'Obsession'. Who can forget 'Crave', the too many worthless money spinning flankers of 'CK One'...? I can't. Even if I want to. But all is forgiven because you gave us 'Obsession': a fragrance to die for.

maruge62
maruge62

I love the notes of this perfume, vanilla, amber, spices, musk and some citrus, perfect combination! it is strong, warm, smoky and very long lasting. I havent tried the reformulated version, Ive had mine for some years now, its my personal signature, together with Lolita Lempika. Though I wear lots of different perfumes, these two are the ones that identify me most.

goingblonde
goingblonde

I remember I really liked this one years ago .

Now,many years later I just purchased a small bottle and do not like it all.

No way do all the notes come thru for me- just incense .
Something about it reminds me of a mens fragrance as well which is another thing I do not like in perfumes.

alexanna7
alexanna7

obssession smells like incense,spices,amber and cinnamon! It's smells almost like nag champa!i love nag champa and incense in general .i wanted that perfume for a long time! Got this one in a gift set with many other ck fragrances! If you love spicy fragrances,you will love this one! Perfect for any special occasion!

Lexxii
Lexxii

I got this as a Christmas gift and tried it for the first time today, and it smells wonderful. Warm and spicy is a very accurate description. There's citrus in there but it's buried enough so that it doesn't smell too overpowering. It balances out the woody smells nicely. Spicy and comfortable and just a little bit sexy, but not so much so that it's uncomfortable to wear in a non-intimate situation. This is definitely going into my regular rotation :)

perfumesniffer
perfumesniffer

Obsession is a classic oriental. It's dry and light. I think the current reformulated version is a lot thinner and lighter than the original. I would never call what is available today "too strong" at all -- it's much more tame that it used to be. I barely recall what the original smelled like but the current Obsession is pretty amazing. It's similar to Shalimar yet more sparse and easy to wear.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Obsession has been reformulated into something significantly less than its former self, but it still smells pretty good. Subtle peach and bergamot notes exit the atomizer first, followed by a warm cinnamon, clove, benzoin, and vanilla. After about five minutes the white flowers show up - plenty of orange blossom with hints of jasmine. Gradually an earthier base of patchouli, oakmoss, and sandalwood asserts itself, but here the scent becomes a bit flat. Side-by-side sniff comparisons of Obsession and the original formulation of Obsession for Men (sadly I do not have the original formulation of the feminine Obsession) reveal the latter has superior citrus and spices and a deeper clove note. Obsession has limited longevity and a compromised structure, but it's the best offering from this company.

Update: The far drydown (about two hours in) of Obsession reminds me of, believe it or not, Passion for Men by Liz Taylor. The two are so similar that I'm inclined to pass on a whole bottle of this formulation and just wear Passion - it's half the price and just as good.

Wow! I smelled this old '80s gem again thank to a lovely lady wearing it and thought it was gorgeous! I don't think it was a pre-reformulation version. Very likely the new one.
I didn't remember Obsession very clearly. It suddenly became so popular and abused in 80s and I lost it.
I think that chemistry also plays a big role here.
The lady I mentioned left little beautiful clouds behind her, while on my skin I remember it quite greenish-musty.
Anyway I almost forgot how multi-layered a perfume can be! So used to all the new flat ones, we forgot gems we have been given before!
Obsession is a "modern" oriental without any mustyness, quite feve-tonke-y but not a cloud of powder. I see resemblances with Cartier Must (another disaster of re-formulation!) and a little Samsara.
The green note smells like galbanum to my nose, a very peculiar note that gives a bitter-round-green vibe to any perfume.
A must-try again for me for sure. et's see if the re-formulation (god forgive them for these changes, often for worse!) can do something on my skin too.

sushivoodoo
sushivoodoo

Ah this takes me back, I must admit I forgot about this but embraced it of first spray! Yes, this will do nicely and will work on the top 5 rotation of my winter wardrobe. It's spicy warm...it just gives me a feel good!! I welcome this scent, everyone around me smells like a juicy!! ALL THE TIME

Sassy1

Update: As I feared, someone got ahold of this scent and ruined it with a cheap reformulation.

What used to smell wonderful now has that awful synthetic baby doll plastic note mixed with a bad men's cologne and musty body powder.

This seems to be the trend for the past super scents...once it falls from grace and is no longer considered current or in style, they degrade the ingredient quality to save a few pennies.

Why flood the market with sub-par dregs when all they need to do is discontinue production?

Is it fair to the person who goes back to something they used to love only to find a horrid klone has taken it's place?

I understand allergy issues and industry regulations but how hard would it be (they have professional noses, right?) to compare the new to the old and if it can't be replicated, stop making it!

As a perfume lover, I could accept this much more than being duped into putting out hard earned money only to find I've purchased a bottle of crap.

cowgirl64505@yahoo.com
cowgirl64505@yahoo.com

An extremely sweet and extremely strong fragrance. You must have a strong personality to pull this off, but I love it!

Kharnak
Kharnak

Yes! a guy can wear this. But after letting it mellow for a bit and getting a bit of my own sweat in it. It has all the things a good perfume should have, Vetiver, Sandal, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Smoky incensed Rose, and the MUCH sought after Civet that you never knew you liked so much. That's what you smell on the DryDown, Civet is what you smell on the sprayer tip the next day. Yes, my all time Favorite YSL Kouros has it, the similar Dana "Tabu" has it. Some people say it smells like a horny Cat Piss. You're right. But then when they smell the Dry Down, it's remarkably, beyond description, "Beyond sweet" as i'd say. Obsession is right. I'd be all over whoever wears this.

MrMookie

Truly remarkable that my boss wears this one (and he is a man!)
great scent even on men?!?
There are many women wearing mens colognes, but the other way arouund you dont see that often... this one is diffrent. I own real amber at home (very expensive) and i smell amber right out of this one.
Its dark,smooth and sensual.

LaPetite
LaPetite

One more in the perfume category that i have created : the sexy scents ! Ooooh yes it is, definitely !
At first , the very first seconds i was like "yuk" , then smelled it again , and was like "woooooooow" !!!!
I agree with those saying it's ambery and comforting . It's also warm spicy , which makes it a very good winter scent .
But even if i'm in my early 30's i don't feel mature enough for it :-(
Love love love that smell however , maybe i should just wear it for myself and whatever whith the fact i'm not a femme fatale !!

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

It's dark, warm, serious, and quite relaxing. I feel like I am in the middle of an ancient ceremony with full of inscents. My soul calms. It's definitely not lovely, but it represents a very deep and complex personality. I can wear it alone or as base notes for other perfume. Great for winter. Not just the scent is warm, my skin feels warm also.
I like it.

oona noir

I bought a mini last year, before the reformulation, and I loved it. I just can't seem to get myself to try the new one, though. I guess I'm afraid they ruined it and don't have the nerve to find out. :(

Market ca
Market ca

I first wore this in 1987 and absolutely loved it, I think it was EDT. When this was discontinued, I got off it and did not try it again until yesterday. Top notes are exactly as I remember, but I have an issue with middle and base notes - quite headachy. I think nothing can replace the original scent from the 80s. I have always loved the body lotion though.

Irishys
Irishys

Obsession was my "go to" perfume in the 80's when it first came out. I loved it and wore it all the time in the winter.
After not wearing it for 10 + years, I tried it again last winter. Ugggg! I don't know if my "chemistry" has changed or CK changed the formula but now, I really don't like it.
It is very heavy and gives me a bit of a headache. Gone is the spicy scent I loved and what I'm left with is an overpowering "powdery" scent. To me, it smells like Emeraude - which my Grandmother used to wear!
Not for me anymore.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Although I had tried this (one spritz on the arm) years ago, I had the opportunity to pick up a mini bottle for a great price a few days ago.
The very first opening notes surprised me; it was a citrus blast, albeit it did not last more than about a minute. I did not enjoy the next 30 mins or so, because behind the spicy notes there seemed to be a plastic, synthetic smell that was not giving up. Once those mid tones faded, the dry-down was quite nice; very lightly spicy, warm, soft and a combination of powder, amber and a gentle sweetness. Lasting power is exceptional - 12 hours plus!. I will very likely use up this mini - not sure yet if I would purchase a full size. Time will tell!

virga
virga

Obsession is not for conformists, it’s not “nice”, not a crowd pleaser. It has a strong character and is suitable for confident, self aware people. Definitely a unisex scent. Great longevity and silage. Top notes are sharp green and herbal accords, then come spices and incense. The drydown is amber with some vanilla. Perfect for autumn and winter, but I wear it in summer too - in hot weather Obsession becomes more herbal and incensy.

johngreenink
johngreenink

I passed a woman today while walking into work, and she smelled so nice that I had to ask her what she was wearing. She said 'Obsession'. I was surprised because I'd thought that this was a fairly run-of-the-mill perfume; I'd never smelled it before on anyone or from a tester, so I just wasn't familiar with it. So many personalities in this scent - at one turn bright and fresh, and at another turn smoky and oriental. Probably the best testament to Obsession is the fact that this woman seemed all the more beautiful for the scent - it seemed to be an extension of her, fitting perfectly with her leather coat, heels and laptop case. The whole experience brought a smile to my face; what a great scent!

chowchow41
chowchow41

This is my comfert scent for winter, my old botlle is 11 years old and is still good. I love the spices, peach, incense, vanilla, amber and the right amount of civet. It smells really great its really an Obsession for me.

Allinug

Now I have three "old" bottles of Obsession. I have loved Obsession since 1996 and it has been my signature on and off since 2001 but I always goes back to Obsession.

I use other perfumes too but Obsession is my lifeline. I feel so much when I wear it...calm, secure, sexy, confident and much more. The other day my husband sniffed on me and said Oh this is you and that compliment made me so happy.

A little strong and spicy in the beginning and then the wonderful drydown when it becomes sweeter, warm and cozy.

Obsession is so vwonderful but I must add..."old" Obsession is the best even if I love the reformulated one too.

smellME
smellME

Jasmin, amber, incense and vamilla it´s all I get, but its ok cause I love linear scents. To bad I can´t smell any rose, cause I love rose scents.
I have tried to swap this away before but have not succeeded and I am happy for that! It gave me a chance to try it again...
While living in Toronto twenty years ago, I had a drugstore copy of this, remembering I loved it then. The real thing is stronger and more longlasting, a little touch of mens cologne but anyhow very nice ...
- now it´s a keeper !

kellea
kellea

I was given a bottle of this, by someone who had bought it years ago & then stopped wearing it. So I have know idea what year mine came out. For me it's very strong & actually gave me a headache when I 1st tried it. After it calmed down it smelled to me like Sandalwood. A scent I very much like. I just don't want to have a headache waiting for the good parts. I do find it a very nice scent, just extremely strong straight out of the bottle.

Militza
Militza

Funny, but the reviews on the top are negative which might mean people have just shifted to the lighter side now. However, I worked in an office in the 90's (not 80's) -which implies it was still "in"- and the men went crazy for this scent. Must be true that they like vanilla and all the exotic other notes in it, I guess.
For me, it is a wonderful winter scent, and I would certainly agree it matches a cold day, a good cup of coffee or tea, and a great novel...preferably, a classic.

I'm not a fan of Obsession, I think this is a cheaper version of Cartier - Le Baiser Du Dragon. This one has a little bit edgy spices - Cartier is a lot softer and warmer. Not longlasting on my skin, about 1½ hour for an eau de parfum, I think thats bad. This is a scent for a grown-up woman not for a young one, I think. This one is a bit heavy.

Jag gillar inte Obsession helt o hållet. Jag tycker att detta är en billigare version av Cartier - Le Baiser Du Dragon. Denna har lite mera skarpa kryddnoter medans Cartier är mer mjukkryddig och varm. Den varar inte länge på min hud, ca 1½ timme bara- dåligt för en eau de parfum, tycker jag. Denna doften passar nog en kvinna bättre än ung tjej pga att den är lite tung och aningens mörk i mitt tycke.

azur
azur

Amazing perfume. Very masculine/strong at the beginning then turning slowly into the most femenine and subtile of perfumes. Last all day, less is more. I sense leather, citrus, vanilla, vetiver.

neonvalkyrie
neonvalkyrie

I think it's a nice, rich perfume, but to make it work during daytime I blended it in an atomizer with a citrusy body mist. It doesn't last as long then, but it´s more comfortable.

calyx93
calyx93

More men should try this one before going to the male version - especially an older specimen. There's so much going on in this (amber, civet, oakmoss, incense, etc.) that suits a man's chemistry that there should be no fear in trying it ... unless you're in doubt of your gender or identity.

A true American classic - let's try to divorce it from the 80's and those who applied it with too much aplomb (and consequently turned those against it back into appreciating it). Maybe one day we'll look back upon this one in the same fondness of queen Shalimar and the other unique oriental perfumes that it inspired.

JohnMc
JohnMc

As a fan of the male version, I have to say I am intrigued to experience this on a woman. The bottle alone oozes sensuality with its warm colors and uber-feminine curves.

Opium

joyceisblasian this is a female perfume, and it is gorgeous! if you don't like it you don't have to comment and also scream.

wonderful fragrance, great for night, winter, very sexy

takeasniff
takeasniff

When I first sprayed this I thought it smelled like stale old man who has peed in his pants and not changed them for a couple of days. Believe me I know that smell my Uncle moved into a nursing home recently where they can look after his hygiene because he was living on his own and not showering properly. I used to give him a kiss hello and he smelled musty and stale. Obviously that is not the case now that he is being cared for properly. However, I sprayed this perfume and that is the impression I got. I waited a few minutes and it settled really nicely on my skin. I am glad I have it. I do remember the old vintage version I used to test it all the time in Myer when I was younger but couldn't afford it. I got a bottle recently and thought is smelled different and read the reviews on here and sure enough mine says coty on the bottom. I still like it and it does remind me of Tabu by Dana which I used to wear years ago until they changed the formula on that one too. :(

Inche

I had this perfume many years ago.Was my favourite,but vintage ones made by Calvin Klein.Strong, provacative and unique.

geekweevil
geekweevil

When i realized after 15 years that i could wear perfume again without getting massive headaches, this was the second perfume i bought. It had been so long since I'd been able to try scents, that I'd missed this totally. I was wandering around a big cheap pharmacy, sniffing away at bottles and sampling things i liked the smell of...and then i happened to pick up Obsession.

I'd never had the experience of being totally and utterly hooked like that before!

I've since tried Youth Dew, but that leaves me feeling cold - I have no idea how one can make a spicy perfume that chills one out! This is not a problem with Obsession though - it might be the child of Youth Dew but I think it surpasses it (pity cause i love old lady perfumes usually!).

This is everything i like in a perfume. It's warm and spicy and in-ya-face and makes me feel terrific and energized. It's up there with Shalimar and Joy in my favorite of all times.

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

Not sure what I really think about this fragrance. It is one of the most identifiable and original of scents, but not sure I care for it.

To me, it is solely a fall and winter fragrance. It reminds me of cream cable knit sweaters, fitted jeans, knee length boots and a ski lodge. My old friend and roommate wore this only, year round, and it really bugged me. To me, it is just not a summer or spring fragrance.

Lingonberry
Lingonberry

I've worn this fragrance off and on since 1992-93 and I would still wear it whenever I can get hold of an older version. The only perfume I have bought over and over again. I experience a huge change in the composition and concentration, at least from then to now (I haven't smelled the original from the 80's). Maybe the formula is the same but it just cannot be composed in the same way (or the other way around).

The fragrance started with a slight burst of citrus enveloped in spices and vanilla, and set on a firm foundation of powdery vanillic amber with small musky hint. Just enough to make it interesting.
(Sorry for description, I'm not that good with the notes...)
A feelgood scent with so much warmth, depth and sensuality. I wouldn't call it dark though, but complicated.

The fragrance evolved quite quickly to reveal its creamy base, sometimes I even thought I smelled caramel or toffee, with just a hint of the spices. Even though it was loud, loud, loud, it took only about half an hour for it to start settling down, growing closer to the skin, so for me that was not a problem. The warmth was detectable from beginning and its intensity just grew with time. One spritz distributed on some selected points were enough and could be smelled the day after. Rich and cozy.

The current version seems watery, as earlier reviewers have mentioned. It's like half the base have been cut, thrown in some more smoke and civet, and they now put all effort on the top and heart notes as they seem prolonged and emphasized (or reinforced? having a problem finding the right word here). I detect no creamy warmth or vanilla at any stage, not even after a couple of hours. There are still spices left and much smokey musky wood, but unfortunately not to my taste. I've had to wash it off because of this. Also, my bf have asked me to please go wash it off.
It somehow reminds me of one of my old bottles that have gone stale, but even with this old stale bottle the warm creaminess has a presence and shows itself after a short time, I even use it if I know it will pass some time from spritzing to going somewhere. But whenever I get this thought and sniff the new edition, it doesn't smell stale, just different and...dead. They've robbed the scent of all that is good, killed it and what's left is a cold dark harsh ghost. The older version was a warm fire, the new version is out in the dark cold snowy night watching that fire from outside the window -I remember reading another review a couple of months ago and with a description similar to that, and I may not remember correctly how it was phrased, but what that person wrote also holds for Obsession.
The fire is put out and only the smoke is left. Enough of this.

Obsession will always be my perfume, "The One" for me, basically the essence of me, even though now mostly in memories.

I'm so envious of all of you who can experience the warmth and coziness in the new version.

Update Oct 15th: I have continued to try the new version several times and in several places (department stores, perfume boutiques, airports and more) and they all end up bad. There is a fungal smell that accompanies the base and there is not enough space on this website to write about my thinkings and feelings about that fungal finding.

MsRachael
MsRachael

Despite a life-long affair with vanilla, the spices here are just too prominent for my tastes. It is certainly a "statement" scent, and Darling, if you are comfortable making a statement this bold, more power to you. I can appreciate the depth and intricacy of the composition on paper, but find it intolerable on my skin - too dark and amber-heavy. It's smokey in a way that would be far too pervasive (in my opinion) in all but the coldest weather. I have a friend who wears this frequently, and it smells nice on her, after a couple of hours have passed. I was once present for her initial spritzing, and nearly passed out.

mausketeer
mausketeer

Like so many women on here, I wore this in the 80's - exclusively. Alas, I had to give it up when my love affair ended because I couldn't bear to smell it anymore (believe it or not, he WAS an obsession!) I always ask people who used to wear it if they could smell RUBBER in it, but nobody else could. I found that odd, as it was so obvious to me. I wonder what they used to get that particular "note"?

This will always be "MY" perfume - even if I never wear it again.....

naheed
naheed

I first heard about Obsession in mid 90s and it was said then that it had an amazing lasting power.

Starts a little aldehydic with a loud echo of the citrus peel. At this point I felt as if it was a darker version of Bal e Versalis but this was just a feeling which lasted too short. The point it enters to a setting phase, it grows spicy and sweet and here I would say it's true by its category which is oriental spicy. First it's a complex mix of spices and then there's an emergence of cinnamon which is very prominent. It gets a bit powdery later in the dry down. It's a great scent and I am sure must have been a power house back in the 80s.

I read most people talking about the vintage one and it has changed since the time it was worn back the time it was launched. I have tested it for the first time, though heard about it in the 90s, but I would say I like it whether it's vintage or the reformulated one. I would be more happy to wear it if it is reformulated again without civet. Til then I am just happy to sample it.

dianthus,thanks heaps for sharing the sample!

puppynose
puppynose

One of my bottles from the late 1980s still smells spicy good complex warm smoldering but not smokey, and deep- nearly entering the realm of heavy (easily crossing over if used in excess), walks the razor's edge between opulent and sickening- i.e. damned close to that sickening accord like the one in royal secret- a portion of this is so similar to Royal Secret that it can be off putting, but other times- when used with a light hand and with compatible chemistry, it can be spiced sensuality and richly alluring instead of chest compressingly heavy. I have not sought the reformulation- didn't realize that one too had been destroyed until reading some of this thread on fragrantica- just another reminder to hold on to the fragrances you love as their lives as we know them may end before we have a chance to buy back ups. Ah, more corporate crap and less quality yet again.

Allinug

I suppose I have the reformulated Obsession but I still love Obsession. It smells so wonderful and stays on forever...after more than 12 hours I could still smell it.

At first a little spicy and then soft, warm and cozy, just love Obsession.

sablebombe
sablebombe

Read what people had written about the reformulation and didn't believe it!! UNTIL I GOT A BOTTLE!!!

It smells like a geriatric handbag (I'm not joking) - where has all those wondrous scents gone?

Complexity - gone! Depth - gone! Sexiness - gone!

Smells like an old powder puff now!!!!

ME NOT HAPPY!

EDIT: The closest I can get to the original is by combining the reformulated Obsession with Secret Obsession - that has more of the original scent for me!

pisces3774
pisces3774

I have a friend whose mother sprayed this about the house to cover up the smell of cat box. I liked it alright, but now all I smell is heavy amber and cat box. Smelled it recently and thought it smelled very heavy, and slightly like plastic.

glama
glama

buttery almost like butterscotch buttery. The parfume itself is almost sticky on the skin.

jasminenoa
jasminenoa

I think this perfume smells awful, soo heavy, dark and I don't know how else to describe it. I tried wearing it, but found realized that it wasn't for me.

bb3706
bb3706

Ok, another perfume i just had to try after reading the reviews here and thought just maybe this would be the first CK scent i would like. Wrong. What an assult on the senses. Very powerful stuff which in itself isn't bad but there is a note in the mix (or maybe several) that really doesn't agree with me. I don't know what it is but it puts me off big time. I can see why people like it but this isn't for me.

The Swedish girl

I used to love this perfume, the warm amber, soft vanilla, spices and musk... There really was NOTHING better.

But that was before it got reformulated into real CRAP. Now it mainly smells like sweaty coriander, and the sillage and longevity is oh so bad.

Don`t buy any of todays bottles manufacture by Coty, keep to the vintage ones made by Calvin Klein and Unilever.

I HATE Coty. They destroyed the best perfume ever created.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This sample of the vintage parfum is mellower and smoother than I remember Obsession being back in the 80s, when I first decided I didn’t like it, but I probably smelled the EdT or EdP back then, usually second-hand. Knowing it would be a sillage bomb, I applied only a minuscule dab, not a big spray, and that was helpful.

It starts out sweet, woody, musky, and a little spicy, with a strong, dark, vanilla base. I smell very little in the way of flowers, which is a good thing. It’s possible that over the years some of the most obnoxious top and floral notes have faded, revealing the oriental base in all its vanillic glory.

It’s on the verge of being cloyingly heavy and sweet, hovering just around my threshold of wearability. As it dries down, it becomes a creamy, powdery vanilla, saved from moving squarely into gourmand territory by woody notes and a slight hint of incense. There’s a good bit of sillage even from a tiny dose and, once applied, it’s with you all day.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Obsession - I am obsessed with you. You are warm, powdery and so cozy. Such a seductive scent. The dry down is so natural, yet so sensual. Obsession is a sillage MONSTER. I can smell this on my skin up to 10 hours later. Each scent, be it in the first hour, or the tenth, is just as enticing and romantic each time. Spicy, powdery and sexy. A warm, sexy blanket

risarii
risarii

My mother wore this when I was younger, and she is the only person I like it on. On her, it smells very warm and cozy, with a vanilla and beautifully powdery dry down. I have known other people that have worn it but on them, it's way too strong and way too powdery/musky. I think this is one of those perfumes that completely depends on your chemistry. There's no in-between; it's either gorgeous or stinky.

cassio
cassio

I want a girlfriend with this smell.

Sourneli
Sourneli

After flowery and soft girly sents I used to wear in my teens and 20s, I used Opium for eveings but It was very exotic, complex and oriental. I received Obsession in 1995 and I loved it, because with the stron oriental sent it was warmer and calmer then Opium. It is strong sent, but sensual, warm and feminine.

personagrata
personagrata

UPDATE : Well, it seems that Obsession has become an obsession of mine (surprise surprise!) and I love it. I just have to be patient and wait for the first 3 minutes to pass. I cannot imagine how the old version smells like, but I can only tell that the new one is really impressive in terms of longevity! Finally, I would feel uncomplete if I had never tried this one in my whole perfumed life...
It is now become a signature scent, absolutely for the winter and sometimes, yes I dare so, for the summer nights!The reason is that it is a versatile and at the same time sensual perfume, a combination really rare.It is sweet, sultry, full of spicies and I love the sandalwood in it. Don;t bother listen to those who are saying that this is old...NO WAY, NO OLD SMELL HERE or even cheap...Many young people have complimented on this, both girls and boys. The longevity is spectacular and this guy, coty or not, is gonna stay with me.
A reformulated story : today , I went to the department store to buy another bottle, since I have a little left to my 30ml bottle. There it was , one and only bottle of 50 ml... THe sample was prereformulated, with gold on the cap etc... and I thought oh,,, I am so lucky, maybe my bottle is not reformulated...but , it was. I don't mind, since I only knew and loved the reformulated version, I only regret I could not sprayed myself with the sample, since I had to go to work, I wore another light fragrance and in the middle of the summer it would be too much! Maybe I go and sneak in the store, one of these days, and spray all over myself, to finally understand what you are talking about. I love the modern version anyway. And something else.... some young guy sniffing my reformulated obsession said :"oh what a nice perfume! this is great! and I bet it is really expensive"....this is an answer for the "Cheap". Actually, it is really affordable comparing to other perfumes , but not at all a cheap smell!

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

I remember those Halcyon days of my early 20's, and with those memories I remember the sensuous, heady scent of Obsession. The first time I wore this scent I was working for a religious organisation. I felt like I was being slightly sinful by wearing it (in a good way, of course!), so i doused myself in it as much as possible! The sillage is magnificent on this one! I haven't worn it for many years, so I think it's time I bought myself another bottle. Obsession is brilliant for winter as it's incredibly warming (like your cozy, favourite jumper!), it's spicy, rich and sensual. I'm buying a bottle right now!!

Kiku
Kiku

Calvin Klein's fragrances often surprise me. His ads for them are usually overtly sexual, many have called them kinky and even perverted. But many of the perfumes themselves smell old fashioned. Some seem to have been born "old lady fumes". Obsession is a good example. It is a lovely spicy oriental. The opening of citrus, cinnamon, and cedar quickly gives way to a drydown of sandalwood and creamy vanilla. It smells a bit like marshmallows! Obsession is Tabu(supposedly inspired by whores) tamed into a lady. Lacking the usual intensity and strength of orientals, this one could be worn in warmer weather. Think of it as "oriental lite". Staying power is incredible.

Castor
Castor

Having finished my old-time Obsession for Men bottle I bought a new one, and with some annoyment, I realized it has been reformulated into a modernized version of what used to be a 1980's powerhouse - this meaning a blend originally characterized by its tremendous sillage and longevity that has been tamed down remarkedly. I used this new version a limited number of times, for everytime I did I regretted the changes I perceived.

A year and a half after this event I happened to try the original women's version at a friend's perfume store, it proved to be more loyal to the one I prefered: all the accords and notes were there except for a very characteristic spicy one. The citric (bergamot, lemons and madarin) as well as the fruity top notes are the same as in the men's version, the florals are restrained while the base notes quite prominent. Thus, what the wearer gets is a sweet but not cloying blend around spicy and vanillic accords that, to my nose, feel very classic and traditional. I am stating this for present-day masculines are either as sweet and / or as floral as many femenines - take Dior Homme and Kenzo Power. In this case, sweetness does not mean cloying if applied with care, longevity is that the men's version used to have, and the overall result is that of a scent that, although marketed as a women's fragrance, feels like a masculine, even for those complementing the wearer.

I am trully enjoying this one.

Soutty123
Soutty123

This is my signature fragrance in winter. I love the warmth of the drydown even more than I love the fresh almost citrussy feel of the first spray.

I've had compliments from strangers passing me on the Underground when wearing this.

People either love Obsession or hate it I find. I don't care if people don't like it because I love it and in Autumn and Winter it is just so comforting. If people don't like it they can sit somewhere else!

I never wear it in Spring or Summer though - I just can't see it working in warm weather.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Very heavy on the amber, this always leaves a faint acrid taste at the back of my mouth. I wish I could wear Obsession, it always smells so good on other people!

pmcclure
pmcclure

Maybe I'm partial to it because it is one of the two fragrances that really works with my body chemistry.

It smells so good on me on a warm summer day, that men (even mature men in suits)stand too close to me and smile at everything I say. It's been my man-killer for 30 years. Even at mid-fifties, I'll have men chatting me up when I'm wearing it. It smells like SEX.

That being said, it's not cubicle friendly. This isn't a scent to wear in the office in air conditioning. And, at this point, I just want the guys to concentrate on the work they're doing for me...

Siv55
Siv55

Sexy. Like a church? Not sure why heavy notes of incense are thought sexy. I suppose it sort of is. To me Obsession smells like perfume is supposed to. It's not necessarily what you like, but it's sort of definitive.
Now often to be found in the bargain bin, so, result! :)

Chanelette
Chanelette

Beautifully blended, complex, soft and strong at the same time. And simply the sexiest scent in the world. It opens really strong, with lots of green notes that settle down in a few minutes. Then it lingers on the skin as a beautiful blend of spices, vanilla and amber. The drydown is very soft and somewhat dry, it reminds me of Dior Dune's amber drydown. It makes me feel like a girl with a Meg Ryan haircut, in baggy jeans and tank top (and no bra, of course!)

kdt9788
kdt9788

First perfume I have had to scrub off... I was dumb and applied it to my wrists, neck, AND chest. Just a little here and there, but BOY is it strong, powdery... all I smell is incense! I tried scrubbing it off, but it is still there, full force. What a headache! I smell no citrus, no vanilla, no florals... just incense. bleh.

Lilii
Lilii

Wow...this one! Today I was in the bus that I noticed a very strange smell on a woman , it seemed that everybody were aware of the smell, she was sitting almost near me and I was thinking all the time that how she could wear such a perfume! I could not even call it a perfume because these days you can almost never smell a scent like this, all the perfumes are sweet or very conservative,I thought she was so brave to wear such a thing! I had a love-hate feeling at that mement.

By the way, I went after it to a perfume shop and I was testing different perfumes since I am a perfume lover and I am always searching for an opportunity to discover a new scent..I tested 3,4 of wellknown brands that I saw ck obsession, I had been curious for a long time to smell it so I sprayed a little on my hand palm...then I immediately realized that was the same scent as I had smelled in the bus...I wanted to wash my hand since the smell was so strong but there was no water ... when I came back home I took a shower and the smell was still there even after a shower...but this time it was a mild pleasent drydown.
I beleive if someone is so brave to wear this perfume these days it is VERY important to apply in moderation...this perfume can turn from an angel in to monster if you overuse it...and now I understand why so many people love/hate this one!
I have not decieded yet that I love this one or hate it!

Lynda11
Lynda11

C'est le parfum que j'ai porté toute l'hiver et il est super! Merveilleusement épicé et vanillé. dommage car maintenant l'été s'en vient et je devrai changé de parfum.

isi
isi

Inolvidable. Fue durante mucho tiempo (años 80-90) mi “signature fragrance ”, de hecho personas que me conocen desde esa época todavía me relacionan con ella. Es una fragancia sensual e intensa, que perdura y es fácilmente reconocible. Recibí muchos halagos con este perfume, siempre lo recordare y apreciare como una joya.

Unforgettable. For a long time (years 80-90) my "signature fragrance" in fact people who know me from the time I still relate to it. It is a sensual and intense fragrance that lasts and is easily recognizable. I received many compliments with this perfume, I'll always remember and estimate it as a gem.

Ohkit
Ohkit

I used to hate Obsession , but I've recently disovered its overwhelming beauty. Surprisingly enough, it doesnt smell outdated to me at all. Nothing unisex about it, just because it doesnt smell of cotton candy-flowers-coconut that doesn t make Obsession a unisex perfume. On the contrary, this is how a real lady should smell like: mysterious, sultry, confident.

sweetgirl
sweetgirl

great classic and i love passing by someone wearing this...brings back those 1987-88 memories, leather jackets,tight jeans, teased hair and george micheal! very nice scent...just too dated for me to wear! lol

rye
rye

Obsession is a milder version of Tabu and I have loved them both. They are meant, I think, to be worn by women at the height of their sexual powers. If they were a dance, they would be an Argentine tango, if they were music, they would be Ravel. To be dabbed on way below the belt or lightly behind each knee.

I own both but I do not wear them anymore. I smell them and....remember.

Allinug

I agree with you malia, Obsession and Opium are not similiar. I love Obsession but when it comes to Opium I just like the top notes. I think that Opium is much stronger. Obsession is a little strong in the beginning but it calms down to a soft and warm scent, just love it.

zquilts
zquilts

I tried Obession a long time ago. I was ambivalent about it. Despite the fact that has similarities to my favorite scent (Opium) Obession seems to come at me with a top note that just strikes me as 'off' and the bottom note just smells like me needing a shower. I wanted to like Obsession because I wanted to find an alternative scent - especially since the most recent reformulation of Opium. I don't dis-like Obsession but I still seem to be ambivalent about it.

Contessa01
Contessa01

Reminds me of Farenheit, Opium, and Dune - perfumes I just cannot wear. This is a bit nicer, but admittedly smells a bit dated, a bit stale. To its credit is has excellent staying power. It's a classic perfume and endlessly popular, worth a try to see if its for you.

Obsession reminded me so much of Opium. They are both exotic and spicy. But really the scents are drastically different. Obsession seems to have a definite top, middle, and bottom. I could smell citrus in the top notes. Once I got to the middle, the civet came out more, and I worried it could head the wrong way for me, but luckily it didn't. The base on me is extremely ambery with a hint of vanilla and incense. Overall the way this differs from Opium is that there is no cinnamon, there is more vanilla, the civet note is noticeable, and the oakmoss makes it seem like more of a chypre. This perfume smells like the taste of dried dates--rich and honey-like.

I like Obsession, but it won't become my obsession. There is a note in it that smells very old and dated to me. This note smells very much like being in a thrift shop full of used clothing and antiques that need to be polished.

Inche

I love Obsession Calvin Klein.
I'm agree realy timeless masterpiece.
I discovered the scent in a Vogue magazine in Germany-Long time ago.Always will be my favourite perfume...I had and have a lots of perfumes.CK is my favorite from US and CD from Europe.

maelleinrome
maelleinrome

A true timeless masterpiece! A little too spicy and masculine at the beginning, ma then it turnd on my skin into a beautiful, longlasting amber-powder smell. It works so well with my chemistry, and I feel it mine like no other smell!

ReinaT
ReinaT

Obsession is a beautiful class oriental spicy fragrance. Very warm and sophisticated. It lasts for hours and is always recognizable. I love it, I don't wear it often, but I have always admired it and enjoying the smell on others as well as on myself. I prefer Opium to Obesssion, but it is still a wonderful perfume. The good news is that is it not too spicy of an oriental, like Must or Samsara, it is floral enough to stay on the feminine side. It could be a unisex perfume, I suppose, but I do find it to be feminine. Just beautiful! I love it and I find it enchanting when other people wear it!

hermione.al
hermione.al

So Spicy, so Sexy, so 80s! But I can't hear any citrus notes, even in the very beginning. I guess a woman wearing it is supposed to be strong and liberated.

oona noir

A truly sexual scent! The lemon at the top is always a bit much for me (this goes on STRONG!), but once it mellows out it turns sensual at the heart and then deeply sexual as it works to the base. Try this one before you buy, as the scent between the 4-6 hour mark could presumably turn you one way or the other on it. On me, it walks the line of kinky and I like that, but I'm guessing if it wasn't working on you, you could end up smelling like a cat in heat.

I love Obsession, just wish it wasn't so darn popular...

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Obsession was my first perfume love ! I loved it immensely, I bathed in it (unfortunately, my surroundings had to bear with my big love *g*).
I discovered the scent in a Vogue magazine, I felt so knowing and grown-up reading a chic fashion magazine, I wanted to be a lady. One day I found an ad with a scented perfume strip which smelled so divine and stunning I almost lost my mind. Obsession found me !
My mom gave in and bought me a fine bottle of it and my first perfume love has influenced my perfume taste until this day. Still I prefer oriental spicy fragrances over green, fresh ones.
Obsession is citrussy somehow, you smell the mandarine but then the spices kick in with full blast. Wow - ambery smoothness and daring incense in the base.
I moved on to other big perfume loves (Opium, Poison) but never forgot Obsession - I still have a small bottle of this for occasional time travels :-)
It has become a classic.

i love the spice, incense and amber smell in this warm, sexy, wintery perfume. the staying power is awesome and the men's obsession is just as nice. love both.

rednut
rednut

I get basil and lime on the first spray going to a very spicy scent with the amber and vetiver quite stong on me but how I love it. Definitely an evening scent and for some reason, men seem to love the smell of it. I get a comment every time I wear it. I don't wear it often as I have to be in the mood for it but once in the mood..............

zvoncica
zvoncica

Obsession is Fahrenheit`s sister.
Perky vanilla seducer.
Orange blossom cheeks of red haired dragon rider.
Incense carrousel with spice laughter, scream and marvel.

I love how Obsession smell.
Outstanding, daring and archaic.
It has marvelous lasting time, and perfectly matches cold winter nights.
Christmas? New Years Eve? Frost glacier dive?
Chose! I find it tempting and dark.
Dark enough to seduce.

And do read JB78 description. Fits perfectly!

mediterranean
mediterranean

This was my signature many years ago. It is sensuous,sultry, warm and seductive. I still love it and whenever I use it I don´t feel it is dated at all.
Men love it.

andrada2003
andrada2003

Well, this is my signature perfume from so many years...Even if I dropped it down sometimes, I always bought it again.It's sexy, it's warm, it's like a fireplace fire. I only use it in winter, but what a wonderful smell! On my skin, it smells like cinnamon, no citrus notes, nothing green, only sweet incense, amber and a bit of musk. Many men in my life were inlove when smelling it. So is my husband now...
Strange enough, I didn't like it at all in the '80s. Guess I was too young?..

Niunia
Niunia

I don't know how I feel about this yet. I sprayed it on and I think - aftershave! Very strong and bold, but not like Opium YSL. Opium is sweet and lady like, Obsession seams to be an unisex, maybe the kind of oriental for a casual, spotry outfit :) It's somehow fresh and clean ... aftershave:) ... I'll try this one in the summer hit with my jeans shorts and black tank top.
UPDATE: very strange fragrance, but in a good way. I don't really like it, but at the same time I want to smell it all the time. Citrusy and spicy, masculine... why not?! Skinny jeans, black shirt and something is missing ... Obsession!

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

Smoldering fire in a bottle but not like Cinnabar or Opium. More well-bahaved. Men love it , luxurious winter scent. I now wear a lot of fruity , adore Hot Couture but when winter rolls around , every now and then I like to start a fire . A nice lemony fire.

empressevie
empressevie

This is a really deep, multilayed and enduring perfume. It has all the notes I love - spicy, warm, and somehow exuding the sort of sexy smell I want...not housewife clean like so many others, but real woman with a bit of oomph smell. That, for me, is why it has such appeal...as do many others. You know, whiskey, cigars and a good time....
Surprisingly, it also has a very soft note flowing through it, but its a warm soft, not like soap! I guess that's the amber that keeps glowing on and on....It last, and lasts, and lasts, and is one of those fab perfumes where you keep getting really intoxicating whiffs of yourself!

Cecille
Cecille

To me this is the essence of the big 80s perfume. Overwhelming in its overt sexiness. When I wanted it I absolutely had to have it, and this was when I was in college on a work/study program budget.

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

UPDATE TO MY LAST REVIEW:

Obession was my latest perfume purchase-I just had to know how it'd fare on my skin as opposed to on paper.SOOOOOOOOOOOOO0-I spritzed my wrists (one shared spray).
wHOA!
This stuff is DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!
OMG,what a shocker! It's still pungently green at first, but the herbs are infinitely more mellow and less bitter than they were on the test strip. Surprrisingly,(or not,given CK's talent for unexpected twists which
spell out L-E-G-E-N-D-S),the herbal notes do gradually blend well with the spices, vanilla, incense, and sandalwood. With the exception of Cinnaabar, IMO, no other scent has worked with my chemistry as well as Obsession. My skin seems made for spicy orientals. I kept sniffing my wrists, entranced as I was with the warm,comforting, intriguing, intoxicating aroma-at times it reminded me of a fine aged whiskey, and at others, I just reveled in the beautiful incense.This is something I'd wear at home for a pamper night since it's a tad too masculine for going out, But, I think I'd instantly fall for a guy who smells like Obsession! Satisfies the old hippie girl inme.

TankGirl
TankGirl

For me CK Obsession is on my "heavy night scents" group, with Youth Dew and Cinnabar. I really like Obsession, its not definatly my idea of sexy, because this perfume isnt feminine at all. It reminds me of aftershave, flowers and incense, everything mixed in a whisky bottle. Its nice if you really want to feel confident and strong, good for office and more serious events. Not casual at all, and in my opinion it has to be used really carefully, because easily becomes headaching!
In is 80' abdrogynous style...its perfect 5*
Update: I started now to understand the sexyness of Obsession with this cold nights we have now. I think the drydown of CKO is my favourite part of this perfume and its perfect for a wild night :P Good for clubing to, although I still belive the top notes are really masculine and for a strong powerfull woman.

adele l
adele l

For whatever reason i've never really tried this before but i got it as part of a coffret recently and have to say it's incredible. It's reminiscent of tabu, youth dew, and similar perfumes but less dirty and thus more wearable. Very rich, strong, and nearly masculine. The dry down is a woodsy vanillic amber that is not overly sweet-it's very sensual and exotic for such a mainstream fragrance. But it is a typical 80s powerhouse so be careful how much you apply!

Perfumedsecrets

Obsession... I'm too young to remember the commercials for this one, but I've seen them now. I got a good laugh from the end of one. "Ah, the smell of it." All I do remember from the ad's are seeing Kate's breasts in a magazine. I was thinking wow, I wonder what that perfume smells like since she's nude. Then I found copies of this in cheap body spray, and after smelling the real thing I concluded the body spray was an close copy. It's a very sexy scent and still one of the classic sensual perfumes. For some it will always be a symbol of the 80's. Even though we can laugh about the decade, they got it right by making signature statement perfumes. Few people wear a perfume these days that makes an impression. They all smell the same.

guest_debob
guest_debob

At the beginning it is very pungent,with a green harsh note. But then it changes. And wow, yes, it is really up there with dry spices. It is every so slightly sweet, with a warm vanilla spice dry down. And incense, oh my! I didn't realize how incense would affect me. To learn I actually love this stuff. I've had it on for several hours and it just gets better.
Note to self: Don't apply more than one spray, as it is very strong. I actually put my hand into my chlorinated swimming pool for a while and I still get a very powerful fragrance. Amazing.
As you can tell, I had not tried this before, thinking it was too "mature" for me. I'm so glad I did, as it is going to be one of my favorite, exotic nightime or autumn scents.

Lottis
Lottis

Very spicy peppery vanilla ... dry, dry ... and after a long time a little sweetness is found.
Very mysterious, I must say. The durability is incredible.
This is sure a very beautiful oriental for the right person. (A little too spicy and dry on me)

cisco
cisco

I mainly smell the vanilla and peach in the opening. Then it changes to wonderful spices. It is amazing considering it cost such a small amount. It is a must in my perfume wardrobe. CK does a good job. Their fragrances are wonderful for the middle range pricing.

DriHonne
DriHonne

Spicy, sweet and woody. It makes me remember when I was teen and could feel this strong smell in one of my high school teachers. There was no way to hide she was coming to my classroom... LOL.
Got a sample some time ago and tried it. However after two hours wearing it, I felt nauseated and got a headache. Gave it to a friend who is younger than me and did not know the fragrance. She loved it. Oh yes... Staying power is great: takes a loooong time to fade.

PS: I think it is very very similar to TABU

Opium

Oh my god, everyone is gaving away their bottle... if somebody else hates this please give it to me :) I want this perfume so badly, it is one of the best I smelled in a long time, and very longlasting. On my skin it lasted at least 12 hours.
Very strong, sweet, warm, pleasing, charming, gorgeous, magnetic, comforting, sensual, provocative, SEXY, alluring, tempting, seductive, enchanting, intriguing, captivating, bewitching....... LOVE IT!

lucifera
lucifera

got this from someone and must say it smells very vintage to me,veery powdry and civet'ish
not for me but mums loves it so i gave her the bottle

mcelferr
mcelferr

If you are looking for an oriental spicy mysterious and very warm fragrance, you've found it. You have to be in the mood to dive in the 80's. because it's a classic. Not a modern 2009 gourmmand fragrance.It has almost nothing sweeet in it. In the 80's the perfumes had to be loud musky and a little suffocating. Anyway, that's what I consider to be sexy, provocative in a scent. I appreciate this smell in a man also.
I notice the oakmoss and the musk sweeted by a slight vanilla touch, pepper and cinnamom. Just 2 or 3 sprays are enough.

acingram
acingram

I tried Obsession and as much as I wanted to like it, I hated it! It's very strong and smells like a grandma to me! In high school I did have a short love affair with her younger sister, "Obsession Night". I could never use Obsession though, it would give me a headache almost immediately!

jazzgoddess
jazzgoddess

Virtually the only Calvin Klein scent I like - because it's spicy/oriental with warm vanilla notes...very 80s. Still like smelling it on other people.

petitenfant
petitenfant

I love obsession, is a beautiful peach and vanilla scent. It is one of the most sensual fragance I smelt. So complex, so independent, Women with big personalitys and character are worthy to wear this powerful scent.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Dark vanilla.. a dark and mysterious one..
Obsession is truly an American work of art, and I personally think it works the vanilla and the incense notes better than shalimar.

The first half hour Obsession seems to be a unisex scent, this is produced by the combination of Cedar, Sandalow, Spices and Oakmoss. Vanilla notes are always there, but after the first half hour, is when its presence becomes stronger (and i love this part).

Obsession is fullbodied and very longlasting. I recommend to be very careful with applying too much Obsession, this scent is so powerful, you just need to apply a little..

If you like Strong, Warm and Vanilla scents, you will love Obsession.

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

@guest_sistertrick: cinnamon and coconut. ?????
i can t detect any of these in its notes? are you shure you reviewed the right perfume?

I like obsession but it has a touch of oldfashion I mean, every girl around me in the 80's wore obsession and at this point i did never use it for me, even if i liked smelling on others, it was not extraordinary enough for me. now time have changed and maybe i should give this perfume another try, but as i discovered my Krazy from Krizia, which one is smelling very close to this one, i prefere. it has a hint being more special and intriguing than Obsession from Calvin Klein and its easier to wear, not as heavy and headeaching but longlasting too. check it out!

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I just tried this fragrance for the first time last night, and fell in love. I can't believe I had never tested this before!!

It's a bit spicy and aromatic at the opening, but then it dries down into a lovely incense scent, which exactly matches the smell of the sweet japanese incense I used to burn in college. Such happy memories return when I catch a whiff of this from my wrist, and I am instantly calmed. I must have this scent for the way that it affects me.

guest_sistertricked
guest_sistertricked

Dear Obsession, how I love thee!
I have to confess I passed through all the possible stages prompting me to hate this fragrance: headache, gagging, direct run for fresh air, washing it off quickly, and so on. So for a while I put it away until when recently I found it again and recoiled at how strong I remembered it to be... but I decided to try it nonetheless and, thanks to my recollection of it, I wore just two dabs and threw the rest (of one spray) away. It was still too strong for me but I resisted and enjoyed it more. By the end of the day I really grew to like it more and more and sense its stages of development, slowly. The next day I applied again, using the method which is suitable for this powerhouse: I sprayed inside the cap, dipped one finger and marked five spots on my pluse and forearm at a 3 cm distance and repeated the procedure with the other arm. I slightly dipped my index again so as to apply a tiny dab bedind each of my ears (and threw the rest of the spray away - and washed the cap). This method produced wonders on me: the scent started to develop and unfold, maintaining its strength in the beginning, and then settled into a soft warm powdery and musky aura, fresh with cinnamon and coconut. I am really enjoying it and hope never to apply more than necessary. I catch myself moving my head bothways to check lasting power, and dear obsession is there. I have already received compliments from my mom, who likes classy perfumes, albeit strong ones.
Needless to say I have just discovered how to deal with Joop Femme the next time i pick her up.
As for Obsession, try applying it the way I did. Wonderful! Warm! Enticing! Cosy! Intimate!

Persian Belle
Persian Belle

I used to kind of like it (when applied just a little) when I was younger. I don't think I can stand it anymore... Too heavy and sweet.

DissolvedGirl
DissolvedGirl

I bought this one without smelling first and sadly as much as i wanted to love it, i just can't :( all the ingredients sound delicious but its just too overpowering and 80's. it is a nice scent however, i can appreciate it just wouldn't recommend it for anyone in my age group! (im 20)

movs
movs

The scent of the 80's, where the perfumes were sexy, mysterious and loud. In this decade we got some of the greatest perfumes that turned into classics and Obsession is certainly one of them.

The opening is rather strong and soapy. But this scent turns into something very warm and sensual. The spicy notes and the amber are softened by vanilla (and cinnamon?) and blends so perfectly with the orange blossom, jasmine and peach. There's something toffee-like about this scent that matches the color of the liquid so well. Absolutely delicious.

After 25 years on the market I still consider this scent one of the sexiest ever made.

UPDATE: Unfortunately Obsession has now been reformulated. A disgusting rubber note has been added and Obsession now smells awful and dirty. Seems that we have lost another great classic.

In 3 words: ICONIC - WARM - ALLURING

straydogfreedom
straydogfreedom

I know my mom is going out some place special when she puts this stuff on. The smell of it will always remind me of my mom getting dressed up to go some place fancy, but boy I can't stand it. I have never liked it. It smells so strong and powdery. Not my cup of tea. But my mom certainly adores it.

If dated means bold, sensual, and dangerous then current must mean safe, soapy, and clean. I keep going back to the old favorites because most new scents don't dare us to wear them. Where's the fun in that? Obsession is wonderful.

Chantal

I wanted to buy this because of Obsession's reputation as one of the most famous fragrances of our time, known for its sensuality. At first I was astounded at how masculine this was, but that comes as no surprise, what with all of the lighter fragrances we are used to.

Obsession is dark and opulent, the essence of female intuition, warm and ever-changing, mellowing out to a musky scent with a hint of sweetness. It is surprising and different, and it is one of my summer fragrances because the scent reminds me of the heat of summer, and the sweetness of it is almost playful.

It is a loud scent at first, but the dry down is completely enjoyable and you can really detect when it changes. It last a long time, but it will smell completely different at the end than it does at first, a toned down, intimate scent for when the evening winds down and you're left with that special someone who's close enough to enjoy it on you.

Obsession is legendary for a reason, and it’s been around for a long time, never aging. I’m glad it’s still around and I get to incorporate it into my twenties experience.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Couple months ago, i received a half-used bottle from a friend in exchange for some other perfume i didn't care for. For some reason, i thought i would really like Obsession: oriental spicy? just what i was looking for.
well, i didn't get to test it until today...
the immediate opening was so strong - i thought this was a perfume for men; it so reminded me of the fragrance my grandpa used to wear on special occasions when i was a kid))
i waited half an hour when it settled down a bit. okay, it Is oriental And spicy, but...OMG, so outdated, so 80's and so my grandpa! maybe some people can pull this off, but not me.
I cannot say i completely dislike it tho - there is something in it... but it's too much to bear.
Also, i smell some cinnamon - i like cinnamon in food, but never in perfume (well, there are some exceptions, yet this is not the case)

valarian
valarian

I've just bought this and worn it for the first time today. I purchased it out of curiosity and nostalgia as I remember it from the first time around. I was too young to wear it then but do remember a lot of older women literally dousing themselves in it. Having worn it for the day I agree with most of the reviews and comments that I’ve read. This perfume has a bit too much to say for itself at first but after a couple of hours really becomes quieter, rounder and softer. Still not a shrinking Violet but far more likeable. Certainly One or Two squirts or dabs would be more than enough to herald you into a room without knocking everyone over! I will certainly wear now and again but just not too often.

bamboowu

Update to my last post...

Just received my Obsession today and I really like this one.

It is very spicy, but on me it starts off quite green, and wonderful too..rich and lovely. In the beginning, it reminds me of Aliage, but then it becomes richer, deeper spicier as the fragrance develops. Very nice vanilla and much more green than I thought it would be. Initial spray is very strong, you certainly don't need much.

The notes I can most detect are the green notes, orange, vanilla, spices, sandalwood, jasmine, cedar, amber, musk, and incense.

It is a powerful fragrance. Very long lasting and sillage that could knock someone over if you over apply. If you overdo it, I can see it being overpowering. If you enjoy spicy fragrances, you probably will like this one as well, but it is very strong, and more spicy than sweet....I suggest you try before you buy.

sharyssa
sharyssa

I got this one yesterday and Im really loving this scent I prefer warm scents anyway I took advise from my sister and bought this and I don't regret it.This is much sweeter and more enjoyable than that Secret Obsession!

soniamcalear

This is way more spicy than I remember. Wow, its up there with Moschino which is pretty spicy. I always remembered it as being softer but when I received my bottle today, I was quite surprised at how spicy it was. Im not sure if really like this or not yet though.

bamboowu

I'm new here, this is my first post. I am looking so forward to giving this a try...all the yummy comments - the advice I get from everyone is priceless. I am looking for a fragrance that is oriental - spicy - soft - sexy - and I want to feel enveloped by it, I hope that it is this. Thanks for your honest comments

Michele716
Michele716

Love it! Very warm and spicey with a nice soft sweet drydown. I smell no florals or fruit on my skin, which is just how I like my orienatl fragrances. Maybe that's why it smells a little masculine. Funny thing, I've never smelled this on anyone, or maybe I couldn't smell anyone else because I was wearing Opium during that time.

Sissi
Sissi

The ampimathy of Style. Love the Color the color of the sunset. thats when the
real action starts the notes incense vanilla spices & woods
brings out the enticipation waiting
passion is in the air and having one
hot passionate love with your lover
this is the perfume for you.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

I've always wanted to like this a lot more than I do. I loved the ads for it in the eighties. They were wonderful and it was genius marketing, really. The ad just made you HAVE to wear it. So, I did. But it always smelled just a bit to intense, a bit too burnt on my skin. It is not soft. I don't think I'm a big fan of oriental florals.

bronstein
bronstein

Respect is due for Slovenian philosopher Slavoj Žižek for discussing the fact that everything is "light" these days: We have zero-calories cola, caffeine-free coffee, non-alcoholic beer, cigarettes without nicotine etc. He means: Things tend to become fakes. Žižek did not mention perfumes, but he may as well do so.

But hey, those were the days when things were still real, and when women were women. If you wonder what I mean, check out some of the comments below. Even the idea of a woman wearing this one seems so alluring, it's wonderful.

They are still producing it. Who knows for how long? Check it out now.

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

I haven't worn this one in many years, but it was a staple during my late teens and early twenties. I borrowed an older bottle of this today, and I'm wearing it and taking a nostalgic trip, back to 1988. The bottle was the original shape that this perfume was sold in- the short oval that could sit in the palm of your hand, and it was labeled "Obsession Cologne", not EdP.

When I first dabbed on a drop of Obsession on my wrist, I got bitter oranges and spices, strong and loud as heck. I smelled cinnamon and cloves, and something else that was really hard to place, but seemed almost metallic. I see here that there's coriander in the top notes, so that makes sense, because coriader always smells (and tastes) metallic to me.

After about ten minutes, I smelled some flower that I guessed was an orchid of some variety- it was more crisp than sweet. Turns out that was orange blossom that I was smelling. There was a ton of cedar in the middle notes, and what smelled like sandalwood, too. Over it all, like a hammer hitting you over the head, was spices, spices, spices: yet more cinnamon, cloves, all-spice... you name it, it's in there.

At about twenty minutes in, I smelled vanilla, but not the sweetness of vanilla bean, but the sweet/boozy smell of vanilla extract. There was a woody smell in there, too. I'm guessing that was the vetiver. Musk bloomed, heavy and warm, and smoky incense that reminded me of frankincense.

Finally, about thirty minutes in, I was so relieved to smell amber, powdery soft. At long last, a smoothing of the scent; the amber softened the bitterness of Obsession. The vanilla became sweeter, as did the incense. Now, an hour later, all I smell is powdery amber, sweet vanilla, the licorice of the vetiver (which is a little mossy, too) and warm musk. It's quite nice.

The dry down is much less loud and potent than I remember. This scent still is an evening wear perfume for me, but it's much more wearable once it's fully dried down. I had forgotten that. In fact, all I remembered about Obsession before today's test was the strength and the dry heat of all those spices. It's kind of nice to find that it's got a softer edge once fully dried down, like remembering an old friend that was really out-going in public, but who could be really sweet and quiet when you were hanging out, just the two of you.

Actually, the dry down is so nice, so warm, soft and sexy, that I can see myself wearing this once or twice a week. I'd put it on after dinner, and then enjoy the soft dry down all evening and into bedtime. Mmm.

Opium

This perfume is wonderful,I love the smell of vanilla...it lasts long and it is very sexy ;)

Get over yourselves! All the "sweat" and "pee" and "dirty" ... if yow put leather on, let's say, less than clean skin it will smell like all the above. On people that know what it is about it will smell like leather and sex. Nobody becomes obsessed with virginal white snowdrops on a maidens hair. It's made for women. Women differs from maidens by that small "sex" thing. And the ability to wrap the world around their fingers. Don't judge a perfume by the "my husbands mistress had it", "the powerful woman that I could never be had it", "my superior wore it"... it says a lot about yourselves. And is not something that you will want the others to know. You don't like it? Move on to something that fits you, but don't throw dirt on something just because you can't understand it! It's pure stupidity.

Sassy1

This was Giorgio and Oscar's naughty sister who put on the slinky dress and stilettos then went out dancing all night. Sultry and smouldering with a flirty spiciness that drove the guys nuts. It wasn't as heavy and in-your-face as Opium (which I could never carry off for some reason) but warm and inviting with a divine vanilla/citrus/spice glow.
Obsession always smelled wonderful on me but since so many others wore it, it wasn't original or standout. So, I moved on.
I definately still love this style of scent though, so may give it another try now. Hopefully they haven't re-formed it into something unrecognizable.

Nicole79
Nicole79

very strong, spicy, a bit sweet,dusty, tabacco...cinnamon, very oriental...hmmm..intresting fragrance...kind of masculine scent too...i don't like it for me any more....
....the 90's version was so much better ,more vanilla, more cinnamon , warmer and rounder that the new one!
Obsession It's in the style of Opium by YSL.

Pandemonium
Pandemonium

Spicy, bold, warm, strong, the ultimate sexy "look at me" scent. It can smell very pleasant if applied in smaller amounts. I got this - along with many other CK scents - in a traveling kit. I adore it, but don't use it very often, just because I smell so many other women using it, and I have a natural want to be different. I always wear it on special occasions, though.

Gosha
Gosha

I used to wear this and used to like it, but somehow never though about buying another bottle as it stuck to my memories as a very strong fragrance that at one time become so generously used by many, it was obnoxious. Someone here mentioned that the scent gets very "animal like" on some people and I agree. It seems to bring out almost dirty (as in unwashed, unpleasant, not sexual, almost like urine and/or sweat) body odour in some people (I hope I wasn't one of them, haha, at least no one has ever told me that and I did like it on my skin). Anyway, because of all this controversy surrounding this scent, I somehow forgot how much I used to enjoy it until now - I smelled it in a shop a few days ago and gladly remembered that this is a classy, elegant, complex, strong and unique fragrance that I would certainly love to buy again.

c3c
c3c

It could just be me, but my immediate reaction was "baby powder" both in the bottle and on my skin. I just couldn't move past it. Even my boyfriend didn't like it and he likes Obsession for Men. My sister likes it though, gave my bottle to her.

milena
milena

It really is a sister fragrant to tabu.Like tabu i only wear this on special occassions.

Tala
Tala

If you like Obsession and yet it is too pricey for you try Tabu. It has 9 notes in common and it truly smells similar.

Obsession, well what can I say, a true masterpiece is what you are.

When the initial intensity subsides, Obsession transforms into an alluring and comforting spicy-sweet scent. Vanilla, incense, cedar, amber, jasmine, coriander and a variety of spices all blend together creating a delicious aroma that is almost good enough to eat.

When tastefully applied (that is, sprayed sparingly), Obsession is somewhat mysterious and utterly gorgeous. Unfortunately many have been exposed to this fragrance when its wearer has overloaded themselves in this rather potent juice, therefore resulting in many people disliking this scent.

I think it's a shame that a lot of people dismiss fragrances from the 80's simply because they find them dated or too strong. One thing that's for sure, they don't make scents like this anymore.

angelic disgrace
angelic disgrace

OMG when I was a student nurse the sister on the ward wore it.I dreaded hand over times because I had to hold my breath for long periods of time otherwise the smell from this perfume made me vomit!Absolutely vile!

michele23
michele23

Obsession smells very sexy.Ive tested many times and never cared for it to much until lately and now I LOVE IT.I guess my ph or something has changed.Its a very soft and sexy perfume.Im glad I kept giving it a try every now and then.Beautiful!

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

Obsession...gee, not good for me. Reminds me of an ex co-worker who was psycho. She wore this all the time. I guess for me it's too heavy and lingering. Too pungent, too overwhelming, too much!

MissLola
MissLola

Have this parfume it's oriental warm and spicy. Mochino-Mochino looks like it only softer then the CK.

reka
reka

I've used this perfume for over 11 years, very sexy, an excellent creation.. the best of it is it's body creme.. never goes out of fashion

allexa27
allexa27

very sexy sweet deep vanilla and amber.The leather note which i smell is lil bit heavy for my nose,but i love it.I feel very sexy wearing it.the lasting power is unbelievable !!!

kenberlyc
kenberlyc

Yummy! I wear this scent on special occasions. To me at first it goes on strong. Then it mellows to this warm sexy vanilla scent. My husband LOVES this perfume.

SophieIowa
SophieIowa

Obsession confuses me. It seems like everything I enjoy in a perfume: dark, incense, vanilla and musk with an animalistic civet note.. but this just didn't do it for me. It didn't even seem that strong, which is strange, due to its reputation as a heavy hitter. Maybe it has something to do with my chemistry, but I feel this one was a waste of money for me. I am age 20 and have no nostalgic connections with this scent, if that helps anyone.

hathor
hathor

almost the only spicy oriental perfume i don't like. i love opium, cinnabar, must de cartier etc, but this one makes me feel quite ill. sat on a bus once between birmingham and london behind someone wearing it and almost died. also had a colleague who made my life a complete misery who wore it. think the problem is probably the amber in the base, or maybe too much vanilla.

I tried this for the first time today and it reminds me so much of the incense at temples I visited when I lived in Korea (I just checked a box of incense to be sure- it's really similar!) It definitely is a bold, sexy fragrance that's not for every woman and I could see how men would like it- it's similar to the scents men might wear themselves but just feminine enough to be only for women.

falovalo
falovalo

Very deep, sensual and compelling. Mildly spicy if I recall. It would be a nice night time perfume.

elegant123
elegant123

I have this perfume. It has a fantastic, delicious smell and it does have a positive effect on men.

Cris_Venesza
Cris_Venesza

Sensual , a strong perfume and after a while remains a seductive scent , i don't like it ...i don't dislike'it

artgoddess

I like to apply this around two hours before I am going out, to let it mellow. It is one of the most sensual, smoldering scents around and men LOVE it!!! I love the vanilla notes and it is very long lasting.

Rach86
Rach86

Indulgence at it's finest. I would never wear this scent with any outfit that wasn't warm (in color). It is romantic, warm, and classic. Maybe not right for a first date, but certainly good for a romantic anniversary.

It is a beautiful fall/winter scent, and I've never met someone that it didn't smell lovely on.

dayslikethese
dayslikethese

A soperific, heady sent that lingers all day. It has a rich warmth that feels rather indulgient.

pumpkinqueen
pumpkinqueen

I LOVE THIS SCENT!

It is so strong, so spicy and SO SEXY. Its not a 'pretty' scent...its a sexy one. There is nothing girly about it you have to be all woman to pull it of.. truly delicious!!

If you want to steal attention from EVERY other woman at a party or dinner... this will do it. I suggest killer heels and a generous helping of Obsession and every man will stare at your hungrily all night long.

katyas
katyas

I just adore this fragrance - it's warm, spicy, sexy and I especially love the long amber dry-down. It is a very strong scent, so if using a spray bottle, one needs to be circumspect about how much one sprays on - a splash bottle would better enable the user to control the amount used. But the up-side to that is that the scent will last all day long! This would be a great scent for autumn and winter - autumn because it matches the overall scent of autumn, and winter because it is so warm. Because it is a very strong fragrance, I would recommend a person testing it out before making the purchase, to make sure it doesn't overwhelm them (like Opium does me).

Boggi
Boggi

I did ordered a 12 ml. bottle for a couple of days ago. My bestfriend used this when we where younger. The amber is so delicious and powdery. I smelled it on a woman on my way to work today. Great perfume!

mmsmlzgud546
mmsmlzgud546

Someone broke a bottle at work and it just about knocked everyone out. I think it smells like bad body odor. Maybe worse. Makes my eyes burn.

artgoddess

Sweet, sensual and provacative, perfect for a romantic evening. I would not wear this for casual wear or to the office.

kiselina
kiselina

Very strong, masculine scent. I can smell only cinnamon, insense and amber in it, in my opinion it is very close to Tabu by Dana.
I don't find it sexual or seductive, just insolent and unneccessary heavy.

cognac
cognac

The whole of the 90"s i doused my self with obsession to a point of boredom.
I did love the spicy notes .reminded me of incense.
However most stores dont carry this anymore.

Zhara
Zhara

I've long hesitated to write about CK Obsession for Women, because what could I possibly say about this incredible classic that hasn't already been said? This fragrance is absolute rich, heavy, ambery decadent lust in a bottle. The peach note takes all the earthy, slightly bitter aroma in the soft fuzzy rind, and none of the sugary candy bits that show up in other peach fragrances. The oakmoss and civet are given in generous amounts, producing a heady, wrist-sniffing addiction that lasts for hours. The amber is no subtle hint grounding things, but is instead the central pillar supporting throughout. The end result is a comforting, sensual, sexual, breath-taking experience.
As cliche' as it is to say this - I do so very much wish that Obsession had not been so overwhelmingly popular, but instead was a delightful little secret of a niche scent, just for me and a select few other dark-amber-and cashmere-fanatics to enjoy.
All is well, though: because we have Anne Pliska.....

Lisa
Lisa

This is the best description I can give to this perfume "Very Sexual"

BlackAmberMoon
BlackAmberMoon

One of the sexiest perfumes of all time. Poor Obsession has suffered from overexposure, but it's still one of the great ones for seduction. Men go weak in the knees when they smell this. The trick is to apply it sparingly; it's a big perfume with tremendous sillage. I don't understand the "dated" comments - if a perfume is good, it's good, and Obsession has stood the test of time.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

Why has it taken me so long to discover and adore Obsession? I'm almost ashamed of myself ;p. To me it is not dated considering I'm young and can't say I wore it throughout the 80s, and generally I just find it wearable even today. It's beautiful. I smell most of the cinnamon, vanilla, and spices notes with some sandalwood. It seems very strong at first spray, but it is surprisingly warm and not obnoxious on the dry down. I love smelling myself with this on. A new, oriental winter fragrance for me!

KJanicki
KJanicki

For me this perfume smells very sexy but dated. Perhaps because I wore it from senior year through university.

SweetSwinger
SweetSwinger

This pairs well with a cup of hot tea, a great book and a comfortable bed.

Drys down to a warm and mildly spiced vanilla/amber.

soirdelune
soirdelune

A perfume of memories for me, of my first year at university. This was a groundbreaking scent when it appeared in the '80s, and was very distinctive and original. Sadly, this means that I will probably never go back to wearing it: it is rooted in a very particular time and place for me and many of my friends from that time, to the extent that it now smells rather dated. Pungent, but sensual and interesting. I much preferred the non-spray EDT to the spray version -- much warmer and smoother on the skin.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Like Candra, I had Obsession (Obsession CK, of course) long ago, but I remember this warmth and nice cinnamon smell. Predominatly,orientally whiffs are some sad for me, but Obsession CK for my nose is very sunny.

Candra
Candra

I had this perfume in my collection many years ago. I don't remember the smell, but what I remembered was that I got many compliments when I used this perfume. I will go test this one again.

jeca
jeca

i love this perfume, it is very comforting for me, I smell cinnamon and amber in it.

guest_Carrie1981
guest_Carrie1981

Mild spice, subtle citrus notes and warm vanilla with a hint of incense. Delicious!

Obsession by Calvin Klein 3.23 out of 5 based on 2527 ratings and 425 user reviews

Obsession Perfume by Calvin Klein, .5 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Obsession Night Perfume by Calvin Klein, 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
OBSESSION NIGHT for WOMEN by Calvin Klein EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ
OBSESSION NIGHT for WOMEN by Calvin Klein EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Gift Set 2oz
Obsession Gift Set by Calvin Klein Gift Set for Women Includes Mini Variety Gift Set Includes Eternity, Obsession Ck One, Escape, All 1 2 oz Sprays Except CK One is a Splash
Gift Set 2oz
Eternity Gift Set by Calvin Klein Gift Set for Women Includes Mini Variety Gift Set Includes Eternity, Obsession Ck One, Escape, All 1 2 oz Sprays Except CK One is a Splash
Boots.com
45.50 GBP
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau de Parfum Spray 100ml
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau de Parfum Spray 100ml
Gift Set 1oz
Calvin Klein Obsession Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 30ml 1oz After Shave Balm 100ml 3.4oz 2pcs
Gift Set 1oz
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Beauty.com
Calvin Klein OBSESSION Eau de Parfum Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Calvin Klein OBSESSION Eau de Parfum Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Zappos.com
Calvin Klein - Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau De Parfum 1.7 OZ Spray No Color - Beauty
BeautyBar.com
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau de Parfum Spray For Women
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau de Parfum Spray For Women
Gift Set 3.4oz
Obsession Gift Set by Calvin Klein Gift Set for Women Includes 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray 6.7 oz Body Lotion .5 oz Mini EDP Spray 3.4 oz Shower Gel
Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz
Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz
Gift Set 4oz
Calvin Klein Obsession Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 125ml 4oz Body Wash 100ml 3.4oz After Shave Balm 100ml 3.4oz 3pcs
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau De Toilette Spray 200ml 6.7oz
Calvin Klein Obsession Eau De Toilette Spray 200ml 6.7oz
Zappos.com
Calvin Klein - Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau De Parfum 3.4oz Spray No Color - Beauty
Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau de Parfum Spray
Obsession by Calvin Klein Eau de Parfum Spray
Sephora.com, Inc.
Calvin Klein OBSESSION 3.4 oz Eau de Parfum Spray
Calvin Klein OBSESSION 3.4 oz Eau de Parfum Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Calvin Klein Obsession fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Calvin Klein Obsession, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Obsession by Calvin Klein. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Obsession by Calvin Klein represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.