Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men
dislike

I have it: 950 I had it: 671 I want it: 231 My signature: 16

cinnamon
Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Videos Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Videos Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Videos
Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Pictures Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Pictures Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Pictures Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Pictures Obsession for Men Calvin Klein for men Pictures

A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime and bergamot) is harmonized with a floral sharpness of lavender, nut, spiced notes of coriander and warm cinnamon. Carnation (along with jasmine, rose tree and pine) is restrained with warm patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, benzoin, vanilla and amber. Subtle aroma of red berries enforces the structure, adding sensuousness and characteristic to the perfume. The creator of this fragrance is Bob Slattery, and the bottle designer is Pierre Dinand. Obsession for Men was launched in 1986, a year after the female version. This fragrance pair belongs to one of the most popular ones in the 80s. In 2005, their nighttime heir was presented: Obsession Night. Obsession for Men is the 1987 FiFi award winner. See the article about Calvin Klein on fragrantica.

Coriander Lavender Mandarin Orange Grapefruit Bergamot Lime Cinnamon

Nutmeg Carnation Jasmine Sage Brazilian Rosewood Pine Tree Myrhh Red Berries

Amber Sandalwood Patchouli Musk Vanilla Vetiver

Obsession

Obsession for Men Fragrance Reviews

RobbieX

Just got another bottle. Obsession is a lovely cinnamon based spicy oriental. Lasts and projects really well with a particularly nice silage. Very nice indeed.

adyyy7
adyyy7

Longevity and sillage comparable with other niche perfumes , but too close to the women version.I find it too sweet and feminine.

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

Im 17 and I wear this. I personally love this stuff. Very warm and mysterious, kind of powdery. I totally see why it was popular back in the day. Ive either gotten compliments or insults saying that it smells like an old man. For one thing, none of my grandfathers wore cologne and I don't really go around sniffing old people. The stuff old people I imagine wearing is old spice, aqua velva, paco rabanne, grey flannel. Old spice is way to expensive and sophisticated for an older person. I don't see to many 80's men's fragrances that I find very impressive but when I find them impressive, i find them impressive. My favorites are Eternity, Obsession, Sung, Colors.

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

I found a bottle of Calvin Klein Obsession for Men I had purchased around 1997 that I packed away during a move in 2007. It was already ten years old at that point and about two-thirds of the bottle were gone. Forgot I had it. It STILL smells great! Just like I remember it. Like finding buried treasure. The Eternity did not fare so well but boy do I wish it would have. How I wish I still had an old bottle of the original Calvin.

For all of the comments on Fragrantica regarding fragrance expiring or going bad this just proves it depends on the fragrance. I had purchased Obsession and Eternity at the same time, and both were packed away at the same time, and kept in the same box. One held up just fine and maintained its scent and the other became putrid rubbish. Ahhhh, the wonder of modern fragrance chemistry.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

I was expecting to hate this, as I hate just about every other CK scent available, but I couldn't help be impressed.

It's a fresh spicy aromatic, with a chewy resinous sweetness, brilliantly blended and surprisingly long lasting for an EDT.

Yes there's lots of vanilla and cinnamon, but I also really pick up on the myrhh and the abundance of citrus.

The lasting freshness and the easy price make this an irresistible choice for summer.

1potatoeshort
1potatoeshort

Many people love this cologne however I noticed numerous people are complaining that it has undergone a formula change.. I can attest to that. If this is the same bottle EVERYONE got I can't see how it recieved positive reviews at all... Recently bought a small bottle and was quite displeased.

cmlee22
cmlee22

Didn't like this on my 32 yr. old boyfriend. Smells better on his 64 yr. old Dad. It's an older scent, for sure. Nice, but not so much for the younger crowd.

FragrantAl87
FragrantAl87

There's no way around loving this one, its just bound to happen. Its wonderfully masculine, it stays on for hours and its positively brimming with confidence. Intoxicating smoky sandalwood lingers, wrapped with sweet cinnamon and honeyed vanilla. Its rich and exotic. It reminds me of smoldering incense in an Arabian market, mysterious and alluring as a sultry night in Morroco. To smell it on a strip alone, is to ruin it; it must be worn.
Masterpiece, is the only fair way to describe it. Its days of wild popularity have left behind seasoned fans, and it brings in new ones all the time. Timeless. Thats the mark of a truly inspired fragrance.
Its a go-to fragrance in the waning months of the year. I love to wear it in the fall, when the leaves turn and the cold rain hasn't turned into snow yet. Fantastic creation, excellent quality.

SzekelyEmoke
SzekelyEmoke

My cousin had this perfume, he now moved to Canada, but one thing I can not forget is this perfume he used. :) Smelled very nice and unforgettable.
Great scent! ;)

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. Cinnamon and vanilla with a spicy undertone. Compared to the EdP version, this one's just have civet note removed. Moderate projection and longevity on my skin.

zinski19901
zinski19901

It's a classic. Enough said

fresh_scents
fresh_scents

One spray from the unsealed box set to my arm and it was yipes! This stuff smelled old, and awful. Nearly five minutes later I'm catching a whiff of something and would never have suspected that Obsession would morph into something very pleasant. This Obsession is worth buying, but, if your nose palate is similar to my own, you will hate the opening. It's a very soft spicy scent.

HoneyPamela
HoneyPamela

I knew how many lovers a former lover had by the number of Calvin Klein Obsession bottles he had on his dresser. I believe they were taken as tokens of past conquests, like notches carved in a belt. He was nothing that special except he was good with warm soapy words, what the Calvin Klein Obsession for Men smells like today -- soapy. If I want soapy, I take a shower. Guess it works if for those who are daily-shower challenged. Not how I remembered it in the 80s, and today not my idea of classy.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

If human beings could smell each others' pheromones the way insects can, then this is the smell that every man save one that I've ever really, really wanted was generating. It makes me lose my composure, my wits, my thoughtfully reasoned plans for the rest of the evening. Mercy! Mercy!

ShawnTaylor
ShawnTaylor

I don't know if they changed the fragrance or if the popularity of Obsession in the 80's has clouded my impression.

I just don't enjoy the fragrance like I did in the past.

JaiTee
JaiTee

I was gifted a new bottle that was forgotten in the back of a closet, so this review is based on that juice, which turns out to be by Calvin Klein cosmetics. This bottle is the 1990s Calvin Klein version (made in France), rather than Coty.

The opening is that citrusy opening that I recognise from many perfumes often labelled 'for men'. It lasts a few minutes and then the spices emerge. I can smell a bit of cinnamon, some incense, and the tiniest touch of powder already. At this stage, there is also an odd dusty/animal-like note that almost stings. One small spritz is pretty far reaching; this is powerful stuff.

I will update on how the drydown progresses and on longevity.

Edit: the drydown is absolutely delicious!

It has been about three hours and on my skin, there is a creamy vanilla sandalwood, with a tinge of powder & incense. That odd note that I detected earlier has completely faded away. This drydown scent reminds me of my old Dior Addict from 2001.

Obsession for Men has taken me on a journey from its rather combative, defensive opening to this precious creature that's warm and comforting.

This is a hard one to wear. I only like a drop of it, and I prefer the drydown, but it takes a while to get to it.

Bbjr

I don't think I've ever come across such a vast difference between a vintage and reformulated fragrance. The Coty creation is an abomination that I wasn't quite keen to when I bought it. Then today I found a vintage bottle by Calvin Klein Cosmetics and holy hell this stuff is amazing. I went home and put the vintage on one arm and the reformulated on the other. It is now 8 hours later and the reformulated is long gone and the vintage is as strong as when I put it on and the smell is a wonderful spicy cinnamon with some oak moss underneath, it's amazing. The Coty version is a synthetic cloying mess from start to finish.

Aceman
Aceman

one of the best perfume for men.....it will remind one of the best

Idlehands

I wish I had not grown up with this frag. because now when I smell it I can put a time stamp on it. If I had never smelled this and had a fresh perspective on it, I would find this more interesting. it's sorta powdery/soapy with a cinnimon feel to it. I think it's actually a nice frag. not for everyone obviously but still very good. however with so many choices out there for this type of cologne, I would suggest maybe trying something different.

thomkallor
thomkallor

Must be stressed - the current version is awful, just AWFUL - nothing like the original vintage, one of my first full bottle purchases at Macy's....

headofstate
headofstate

Powdery, classical fragrance that relies on spice, floral and amber with a lot of extremely dense detail complimenting it and requiring many wears and time spent with it to really uncover its beautiful complexity. An extremely powerful blast of cinnamon, coriander and citrus on top that calms down into a nice and soothing vanilla, amber, kitchen spice rack and musky dry-down with the cinnamon holding strong over the top. Induces incredible loyalty from men who grew up during its heyday (it's addictive and has a very intoxicating range of notes) in the mid to late 1980's, when its advertisements on television were ubiquitous and brilliantly parodied by Saturday Night Live. Newbies will have a tough time getting into this one straight away and will need to come back to it once they've gotten their nose full of modern, minimalist fragrances and can truly appreciate Obsession's daring yet well-balanced complexity. Incredibly warming fragrance that works perfectly for late fall and winter. Performance is outstanding on the vintage and reformulations; with 8-12 hours longevity for me and heavy projection until deep into the dry-down when it tones down a bit.
This fragrance has a lot of interesting things going for it and if you dislike powder, don't go anywhere near this as it's incredibly prevalent in the earlier stages and never fully goes away. If you have the patience though, this is really a nice oriental that still smells exciting and timeless. A landmark creation that put Calvin Klein on the fragrance map and raised the bar for men's orientals.

chenriquemedeiros
chenriquemedeiros

How could I have run into it only now? I'm literally obsessed with it. If I was not addicted to perfumes, but an undemanding consumer who used only a single one, this one could possibly be Obsession, since it assembles everything I search for in such a fragrance. It is versatile – one could use it day or night, summer and winter; it is very masculine besides having a sweetness; it is comfy and clean – reminds me of barber shop goods, it's slightly powdery, but different from those based on iris and those that resembles baby powder; and finally, it is strong and sharp – its sillage and longevity are great – unlike other aromatic and more versatile fragrances. The female version – they are akin – is better for using at night since its notes are richer and more elaborate, but Obsession for Men makes its most perfect male consort.

fledermaus
fledermaus

Komoly és igényes férfiaknak való,akik pont az esetem,pláne ha őszes halánték társul hozzá

katten
katten

I bought this one for my boyfriend. He just smells delicious.

rsthlm
rsthlm

This perfume is a must for every men.

1010rhythm
1010rhythm

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but I have been wearing this to work (5 or so sprays and working outdoors) and the flys are hammering everyone else around the job site and not one has been landing on me, can anyone else try this and let me know if it's just a figment of my imagination or it's happening fo real??? Thanks

scentedkub
scentedkub

My Dad used to wear Obsession when I was younger. He's the type that just wears one bottle of fragrance until it's gone, while here I am trying to figure out what to do when my medicine cabinet is full...lol Anyway, got two .5oz bottles for dirt cheap, one was 99 cents. It's a record-breaking day for cold weather here, and I was more concerned with what fragrance I would wear than my clothing LOL. I'm glad I chose Obsession. The slightly sweet spice and warmth are a nice contrast to the chill and wind without being too much for a workplace I am enjoying the little whiffs of it I get from time to time as I move about. It looks like it might carry me into the 5-6 hr range for longetivity which is good.

agonista
agonista

...for sure it's unique, for sure it's classic, for sure it's from 80' (almost 30 years old...), for sure it's not for every one...and it's VERY CINNAMON..:-)..Hard to to grade...for me it's little bit elderly -from different age...7/10

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

My friend wore this, and his rabbit attacked him! Seriously . Smells like a predator cat' s territorial marking spray.

robespierre_1789
robespierre_1789

Today Obsession is just a shadow of the macho that it used to be. Unlike Zino, where Coty has somehow managed to keep its great spirit. Another failure from Coty.

Jason Harrison
Jason Harrison

One of the few fragrances one can smell on oneself immediately for extended periods. A classic. Unmistakable. Lasts a long time. Garners compliments. Now rather cheap which is great but CK made an icon with this one....

jivanshi
jivanshi

You have to let this one settle. The opening smells bad, but then, after half an hour or so, it settles into a woodsy slightly spicy cardboard-ish smell that is very familiar to my nose. I have smelled this so many times before and I never realised it could have been a perfume. It's a nice light and comforting smell. Predominant note? Cardboard box. Would I buy this? Nope.

The opening of the Coty Prestige (clearly reformulated) version of Calvin Klein Obsession for men is truly ghastly. As in: the concern that I may literally be poisoning myself emerges to the level of consciousness. That's a question which I often ponder from a distance about all of the aromachemicals being fobbed off in the place of natural ingredients in modern, "abstract" perfumery--not regulated by the FDA, I might add--but it is not very often that I worry about self-poisoning in the moment of actual perfume application. (Lanvin Rumeur is a rare example of the same.)

Our bodies evolved in various ways which ensured certain survival strategies would be validated through the continued existence of those individuals who heeded the warning signs. Creatures who eat poison do not reproduce, after all, they just die.

Fortunately, the possibly toxic opening of Coty Prestige Calvin Klein Obsession for Men clears out after a few minutes, and then the layer left behind on the skin is quite likeable and reveals why so many people have raved about this creation. I imagine that at its launch, this was a very fine perfume (much better and less "Fatal Attraction"-esque than the made for women version), and especially for the modest asking price of CK creations, which have also benefited from superlative advertising strategies. They've always done a great job of marketing and provided huge samples, which in and of itself is a strategy. My mini is .5 ounces--enough to habituate the wearer to the point of feeling comfortable buying more, and the sleek packaging and further visual associations created with models such as Kate Moss (isn't she middle-aged by now???) have been unsurpassed by any other house.

This spicy, woody, cinnamon-rich oriental is fully unisex and appealing enough that I may end up wearing the rest of my huge sample during this cold winter season. I just hope that if I do, I'll have the good sense to hold my breath for the first couple of minutes. I completely understand why so many people have complained about this reformulation, as no one should really be expected to suffer before reaching the wearable part of a perfume. Alas, this is what we've come to.

bwcw81
bwcw81

This is a perfect example of an extreme strong scent that requires some wisdom and patience to get along, something that take you to a different path with time! And so does the scent evolve in a longevity of more than 6 hours! From the top of the mountain's flame (strong and potent) to the chilling woodsy (calm and woody) and at last peace and serene (mild floral).

A scent that also taught me - do not judge a book by it's cover! The strong and potent first note is just a cover up something beautiful behind and requires your patience to realize this facts!

Try it and let time proof that I am right!
(Think again - it must be a reason for Obsession to last over 2 decades and still gain popular now - timeless)
7/10 from me.

seanscented
seanscented

This one is classic for real gentlemen at age of 50 haha, don't get me wrong, maybe you will need it in near future or some day, when you have kids .It's classy, sweet and woody.Now im' 25 and i'm liking it.

when i take a first sniff of it long time ago, I didn't like it much, you know i sniffed it in summer time and that's why i felt how bad it was, it was pungent & cloying ! yeah untimely. Two days ago thought about it then i decided to check it again, ya know, now is fall and winter is comming soon . i felt it's quite good and it's warm and pleasant best for winter. Now i wanna own one bottle, can't wait

AZJeff
AZJeff

I was given this cologne from my Dad cause he never wore it. I eventually ended up giving that away. I tried it in the past and never cared for it. I wore it to work a few times and surprisingly, a lady co-worker really liked how it smelled in me and said it should be my signature fragrance. I don't think so. I just don't care for it. It smells way too strong and heavy for me.

If anyone is wondering of a fragrance that smells similar but not so strong and heavy, that would be "Kanon Norwegian Wood". I own a bottle of that right now.

Fragrantguy
Fragrantguy

Spicy, creamy, warm, and sweet. These are the words that best describe the iconic "Obsession" from the house of Calvin Klein. This stuff feels best when sipping a pumpkin spice latte while wearing raspberry creme flavored chapstick. The scent is almost remeniscient to Givenchy's "Pi" but not as warm and sweet. This is more on the florals and citruses than the added sugar. A little goes a long way with this, I suppose that's why it's been immortalized in its fame. I bought this being a fan of CK fragrances, a classic, its sweet smell, and it's perfect for the cold winter monthes ahead. A perfect oriental/woody with plenty of sweetness. For the interesting/original/good-looking guy.

kenney77
kenney77

Freaking amazing love this cologne so much I always will one of my favorites thanks Calvin Klein for making a masterpiece

lister
lister

Who doesn't have "Obsession"? Everyone.If You were born in 80's, then you are very familiar with popularity of this fragrance.Even Savage Garden has some words about Obsession in their lyrics:
"I bet He be damn good looking
I bet that He smelt divine
I'm not talking about Calvin Klein's Obsession
Just one of those people smell good all the time...."
I recently bought a bottle,but, Tangerine as a main note?Citruses?No.It is refined,strong as whisky and bitter sweet.Cinnamon and amberish,hint of vanilla and there's something woodsy in the background.Great ingredients,but for me-it reminds that dry fragrant soap from barber shop; it lingers to skin and clothes for days,very noticable.I still love it,for it's history,it's very unique from that era,created for a strong masculine man, who is hunting for a cougar!.. Unfortunately i can not wear it, I just can't find a suitable occasion or clothing for this old time masterpiece.

Layzie
Layzie

Obsession is not for everyone, and sadly, it doesn't work for me. It has an acrid opening that had me yearning to wash it off. Instead, I stuck it out, hoping for a positive evolution. It was such an odd, bitter smell on my arm. It was redolent of an ancient Chinese medicine that my mother used to cook. I tried to wash it off a couple of times, but it lingered. Surprisingly, after an hour, it wasn't that bad. It became a soft, dark, and sweet fragrance. For me, that first rough hour was not worth it.

shanjobe
shanjobe

didnt quite like it at first now i think its cool and it lasts long too

ItsonlyChris
ItsonlyChris

I used to wear this a good few years ago to school and only recently got another bottle of it whilst I've been in my third year of college.

To be honest, the appeal of this fragrance comes from the old memories that I link to it.

The actual fragrance does smell a little soapy but after wearing it for a few hours you're left with a toasty smell.

If anyone has ever drank Fireball Whiskey, it smells a bit like that.

Housebliss
Housebliss

12 years ago:

I was kind of a weird lookin', asymmetrical dude (somewhat improved over the last few years). I had the splash at that time. I was going to work one day, and what did I do? Well I poured a significant amount on both hands, and shoved my face in it. I wore this strange, colorful, chequered shirt for good measure. To be honest, I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

My co-worker put me straight; "That's not how you get girls". The smell of Obsession probably covered an area similar to a small village. The shirt didn't help either.

Anyway, I tried it again now. Smells great. It smells great if not applied too heavily. Spicy, sweet, floral. Smells like a man.

Glad I bought it again.

bloycey
bloycey

Obsesssion. It smells musky and spicy and mature and refined. And overall I quite like the smell. But it's not for me. Scent's have a sort of personality to them and right now I don't feel like I can pull off the 'mature and mysterious' smell. I've got a small tester vial at home and have experimented wearing it out. I feel like a fraud when I wear it... So i guess that means that Obsession and I don't get along.

The longevity and sillage on this perfume are both very strong - it's something that if you wear you've got to own.

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

I have a 2.5 ounce bottle of VINTAGE OBSESSION.. It is approximately 65-75% full! It must be from the 80s or early 90s.. It is much different from the one the sell today! I am looking to sell it.. It must be rare because I cant even find any bottles like this on Ebay! Private Message me!

Geordieboy
Geordieboy

Awesome fragrance, the longevity is unreal. My cousin first introduced me to this and i didnt like it at first (i was young lol) but i must say it grew on me and now i love it. One of the best spicy fragrances by far, i'm a big fan of spicebomb but this a more sophisticated grown up version. This may sound morbid but this is the frag i use for funerals, Its not to bright and happy more subdued and respectful.

sherryberry
sherryberry

Back in the 90's, I had a boyfriend that wore this. I absolutely loved it on him!! Yum!!

bonacosta30
bonacosta30

Using this scent is like a time travel for me; it was the first fragrance that i had, back in 1999. I was a teenager and this one was the night beast. It used to project and last forever in my memories. It have a sexy vibe, not old, but mature if you compare it to new fragrances, I would say 35 and more. I had it for my birthday this year, i didn t use it for many years and it remind me lost of memories. I realy love this fragrance, it is some kind of relaxing juice for me. Still smell very good for me, one of the best fragrance that I been into, but it seem weaker than what it was back then, like if they diluated it with water...mayble it is the reformulation or it is because i have try more powerful stuff. Anyway, i will always have a bottle of this juice, it is the best that CK have to offer, a masterpiece. What a great and pleasant fragrance :) Here is my final score:

Smell: 8,5/10. An aphrodisiac smell to me.
Longevity: 3,5/5. Mayble 4-5 hours, back in 99, it last forever :/
Projection: 4/5. People notice it, but again, in my memories, it used to fill a room!
Versatility: 2,5/5. Special occasion and some night out only.
Overall: 18,5/25, a good one, timeless, but not a safe blind buy, try it first. Might smell aged for some people if you compare it to younger fragrance.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Calvin and I don't normally get along, but this one is well wrought and suits me. It's spicy/dirty... there's a touch of Estee Lauder Azuree Pure in this one. At first I thought it was a bit oakmossy or animalic, but, no, it's something else. What am I smelling? The musk or patchouli? I don't know... but I like it. It has an austere, understated vibe. It smells mature but not old, vintage but not dated.

A good fragrance... but the only thing that keeps me from loving it instead of merely liking it is that it turns mildly soapy after an hour or so.

christinavictory
christinavictory

There is a man I work with who always wears this and oh my GOD it's heavenly. I normally don't like men's cologne, but this one is just fabulous. It's soft and sweet. I mostly smell cinnamon and vanilla with just something...special. I love it on him so much I almost want to buy a bottle of it for myself.

Lozzle
Lozzle

Obsession Another of my favourite colognes. Woody man smell, fresh and summery with just a touch of cinnamon. I fall back on it like an old friend, its there when I need something nice and not out there, it would be one I would be comfortable wearing anywhere.
8/10 Nice...

manzoor86
manzoor86

the burned cinnamon,
another great fragrance from the house of CK,
FOR MY NOSE ITS THE BEST FALL AROMA,
silage and longevity good than other fragrances of this house,the female edition is much adorable,
juice is great,nice thin bottle,stays on my skin for more than 4 hours,i could hardly sniff any citrus and floral out here.

tjehani
tjehani

رائحة قوية في البداية .
رائحة غير متكررة
ليس كـ مثل العطور الرجالية التي يوجد تشابه بينها وأقصد إصدارات العشر سنوات الماضية .

bcoops
bcoops

Just picked up a vintage splash on....I mostly bought this for nostalgia's sake.....I haven't smelt the liquid in around 25 years and I didnt want to sniff whatever reformulation they are at now .... I didnt get the massive time warp like I got with pierre cardin but I do remember the scent. It seems much sweeter now with a very prominent cinnamon/amber/vanilla combo but not in a gourmand way.Its real strong too, I was probably killing people with this stuff. Overall not a bad scent but not sure if I would sport it again, will try it out some more.

kambelz
kambelz

Even though it's definitely for an older person than myself, I don't mind it at all. I actually enjoy the warmth of the opening and the ambery dry down.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Even though this is really sweet, the spices are exactly the right mix to counterbalance it. The top notes bring you a gentle and exquisite woody spicyness...the woods aren't sharp or sour and the spices don't burn or cloy, and somehow a bit of Geir-like freshness finds its way in. It's kind of a more natural predecessor to Envy, for those who are familiar. I also catch some florals (jasmine?) in the top and middle that are a bit like those in Bois du Portugal, though not as much. I only wish it didn't devolve into such a vanilla-heavy base, though admittedly it's a pretty natural vanilla. Still, it's impressively strong overall, and lasts longer with more power than almost anything else I have, so I feel like I really got my money's worth, but I'm very conservative in how much I use. It might kill people in summer, but one of these days I may go out on a limb to see if that slight freshness can make it behave in the heat. Pretty amazing stuff considering the others by this house!

georgequeue
georgequeue

I tried it once, but it smells like a pharmaceutical laboratory.

I'm sorry, but to me, this is a very weird and unpleasant fragrance, which I wouldn't buy at all!

Markx
Markx

Just like Old Spice, the perfumer of Obsession Bob Slattery couldn't bring himself to create another perfume, I wonder why, perhaps perfumery was just a hobby and they found better jobs in another fields!

Old Spice and Obsession, the close brothers and the shining stars in the world of perfumes, the double O, the Dynamic Duo or whatever you want to call them, carry the soul and love of their creators beyond the time and space and into our hearts and minds.

I love to smell obsession just like I love to smell Old Spice, nothing's like those too!

peferrarine
peferrarine

I really liked this one. At first, is really spicy. It's like you entered one of this spice-incense stores. It's very masculine. Not an unusual or innovative fragrance (what i actually prefer. I rather the simple scents).
As time goes by, you can feel the pine tree and the lavender, but just a hint of them, as the spicy thing still goes on and on.
After a while, you can smell the vanilla with the touch of white flowers.

It's strong, and i guess that i could be very invasive if you spray to much. Anyway, i like it a lot.

lomerlaw
lomerlaw

Such a letdown! A really wanted to like this scent, enough to pick it up as a blind buy. Ugh!!

There's a bit of a cinnamon blast at first, which for me isn't a great sign, but I generally ignore the top notes and wait for the middle notes to emerge after drydown. Unfortunately a mediocre start was followed by by an overly sweet, soapy element that made me feel like I forgot to properly rinse the soap off my hands after washing up at a mall washroom.

So I paid a handful of bucks to smell like soap. Cheap soap.

Yes, it's an old-fashioned scent. I can live with that, since I'm in my fifties. No big deal there. But it's soapy, which I detest. To make matters worse, it verges on cloyingly sweet, and smells chemical-laden and cheap.

Most of my preferred EDT's and colognes are "classic" products (ie: generally considered for the over-30 crowd) but there's nothing classic about CK's Obsession. When Calvin Klein first brought out Eternity I like that one, but after a few years it no longer held as much appeal. Still, I'd rather give that another try than wear Obsession again. Truly disappointed: I had high expectations and an open mind going in to this experiment. Live and learn...

***EDIT*** My scorecard:
Sillage: 7/10

Overall: 4/10

Idlehands

When I hit 45 this one is going to be my signature scent. I cant wait!

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

This is a funny one for me. I'd smelt this a good 10-11 years ago when looking for some cologne for my brother as a birthday present, and on cardboard it smelt TERRIBLE! It was so pungent and felt like it burnt my nostrils.

However, years and years later, my husband was given a set of miniature CK fragrances for Christmas one year and this was in it. One morning I asked him which one he was wearing as he smelt divine and to my surprise, it was Obsession (I have since bought him a large bottle). On him, it smells absolutely devine...obviously suits his body chemistry perfectly.

I would say this is a GREAT scent for any guy in his early 30s and up....definitely not a younger mans scent though. I think mature but not "old" when it comes to pretty much all CK fragrances for men or women.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I remember this in the 80s/90s as being an absolute nose burning powerhouse! I bought a small sample bottle yesterday and am sad to discover that this fragrance beast has been well and truly tamed.

After about an hour this smells like the lounge room of a display home, complete with a bad leather couch and vanilla scent sticks.

Does EVERYTHING have to be so gentrified these days?

Jimmy Carter
Jimmy Carter

A classic. This one has lasted, and despite its modern reformulation being mercilessly damned by the highly held noses of the niche elitists, and despite the fact that I can see why its original formulation would be much preferred, Obsession is still a potent, strong, and soothingly cinnamonic fragrance that is very, very appealing to me.

My favorite high-profile designer frag, I consider Obsession to be a sort of "people's classic", in the family of Drakkar Noir and Cool Water (of course not smelling anything like either of those two). I can understand why people would hate it for that reason. Its now-expired popularity probably reminds older connoisseurs too much of the mainstream, and newer fragheads are probably put off by what they consider to be a fusty, outdated cologne.

Obsession is a solid scent that evokes imagery of golden honey. It is sweet and on my skin almost dries down into a bitter soda scent, which is preferable to how most colognes dry down on me, I'll have you know. Smells like an old man? I think not, but I've heard that criticism so often, on here and on Basenotes and on YouTube, that I simply won't fight it. All I can say is that I've never met an old man who smelled as good as this... This is a thinking man's scent.

eshauls11
eshauls11

this stuff is strong and very mature smelling. It smells outdated and reminds me of nothing but my grandparents bathroom. far to mature for anyone under the age 30

Cappaccinodagreat
Cappaccinodagreat

Love this one. It's a classic. Been around for ages because its great. Not for a high school or most college guys. This is for a progressive guy, a business type. For someone who is making moves.

Long lasting , classic scent. Classy ladies like it.

DaddysLittleHelper
DaddysLittleHelper

I would enjoy wearing this one, if it were not for one odd note of plastic, I have a pretty old bottle from the mid 90's it may be just that it is old, but I never wore this when it was new for some reason either, there was just one note that didnt work for me.

Love most of this fragrance though, and if you just wear it, you probably wont notice that plastic note, however when I smell the applied areas, that plastic note is definitely there.

nfzrmn
nfzrmn

Wearing it now, it's smell is manly and strong type...Liked the smell...

marcelo.bononi.9
marcelo.bononi.9

Acabei de comprar o meu, como sou fã da marca Calvin Klein, essa fragrancia é perfeita, cheiro de homen mesmo, não é um perfume baladeiro, mais sim para ocasiões mais importante...

StinkOMatic
StinkOMatic

Have to agree with the old man description. It starts off with a smell that reminds me of my grandpa, a real 60's 70's smell to it. As soon as i sprayed this all i could think of was my old granpa and the 60's. Sorry if this offends anyone but that's just the way it is

ph4tk0nt0ll3r
ph4tk0nt0ll3r

and just to clarify, i had never smelled this before today. i tried it in store and seriously I don't know what all the fuss is about. For those who say this doesnt smell like an old man, you are deluding yourselves

mvhooper2
mvhooper2

Another awesome smelling winter cologne! Deep and rich vanilla,amber,musk, and cinnamon . Women my age/younger compliment this pretty often. I think this would go perfectly in the fall/winter with a brown leather jacket.

For those who think this smells old. Your an IDIOT. So pleasant,mellow and smooth i dont understand how you cant like this.

Masterfully created fragrance, i cant get over how handsome, sophisticated, warm and enticing this smells. really masculine.

asheble93
asheble93

Obsession for men by Calvin Klein:

Back story:
Calvin Klein is one of my favorite fashion houses, they essentially created, owned, and mastered fashion in the 1990's. This scent reflects that bygone age where Klein was king, where luxury was measured not by opulence but by a minimalist simplicity, and where class was held firm in an amber bottle called "Obsession."

Scent:
To put it simply: the scent is embracing. It does not physically grab you; instead it wraps around you, it is warm, rich, spicy, and sweet. The pyramid according to votes is pretty accurate, although I think the myrhh should be higher, just below the top notes.
9.0/10

Sillage/Longevity:
Sillage is moderate-heavy, and longevity is moderate-long.
7.5/10

Overall:
An instantly recognizable classic that has earned the pedestal on which it sits. It is more than just a fragrance, it is the voice of an era.
8.75/10

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

the below post is correct this is GORGEOUS and I will attack any man wearing this, it's THAT GOOD

ppokpoon
ppokpoon

This is a retro and classic scent at a reasonable price. It's suitable for mature men. It's longevity is a bonus.

gd15329
gd15329

How could I like this fragrance so much in the past (never got it mine though), yesterday I was so much disappointed...

This thing smelled so old-synthetic-nothing-special-nothing-good to my nose yesterday...
I almost felt a tear drop from my eye...

--George Dreamer (20/3/2013)

ahnafuz
ahnafuz

to all those who don't like this cologne: I was also one of you. but then i came to know how to use it.
since it is very intense/sharp/cheap (but only on the start) one should spray (5-6 puffs) at night (for example on
inner shirt) and leave it like that overnight and wear that clothing next day and ENJOY. i used to hate this
perfume but now i like it for its heartnotes. (for a quick effect you can even evaporate the sharp head notes by a
blow dryer. actually the head notes are so sharp that i feel them like unhealthy chemicals).
the perfume is based on sandal wood, cinnamon and powdery notes. it is quite well long lasting and have a good sillage! perfect for autum (even on day time). somewhat formel perfume (not casual).

luana_m
luana_m

@ krmarich, what is JHL. KL PH (I know PH stand for "pour homme")? You really made me curious, as I always loved OfM fof myself and then my husband really liked it and he wouldn't change it for any other perfume in the whole world!... I'd like to try Jaipur as I really like Cinnamon...

unquote

Quite a big difference compared to the old formulation. This one is a bit tamer, although by no means bad. Musk and cinnamon are dominant, accentuated by just the right hit of sandalwood?

For raw, grittier version of the old days, think MCM Twenty Four Evening. I know, I'm not much of a help. Not when the MCM itself is discontinued already...

Having said that, I agree that this is CK's creme de la creme. Eternity come close, but not "fatale" enough and lacking ambitions to dislodge Obsession from the throne.

deeply11
deeply11

Perfect and amazing.

hadrian
hadrian

Obsession for Men, today, is one of the most problematic fragrances: it was such a huge success at the end of the 80s… and now it seems – for some guys – dated and underdeveloped.
CK’s OfM still represent a benchmark in the history of modern perfumery. That’s the reason – and not the only one – for every collector (who respects himself) to have this scent in his collection.
OfM is not a European male-perfume – but an American one. It already has its place in the memory of an entire generation – not only in America. His influence is overwhelming: a lot of niche perfumes of today have something which it’s related with it.
OfM is a perfect male perfume for the autumn – winter; The current formulation it's pretty good.
A must-have, IMO.
Overall, a deserved 8+/10

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

To my nose it's just cinnamon and vanilla... Nothing too repulsive but nothing special either...

Bbjr

not sure what happened to CK fragrances but this one lasts about an hour and then its gone. They've really cheapened the brand. Im glad i sampled this and waited as opposed to buying right off the bat.

saguna
saguna

I can't see any difference between Obsession for women and for men. Only dry down is a little bit more masculine and woody. Unfortunately , as with other perfumes of this type ( Samsara, Opium , Shalimar ) I keep on smelling them on my wrist , but I don't like it - annoying and cloying. Sorry.

muffe
muffe

Straight up cinnamon. Maybe some wood in there. It does calm down at the end to something nice, but not worth the wait for it to happen.

gpluciano
gpluciano

OK, I've been wearing Obsession by Calvin Klein since 1987. This new version by Coty is horrible, vastly weaker than the previous version. Definitely not the way I remembered it.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

My only Obsession for Calvin Klein fragrances is this one. It is wonderfully spicy, warm, heavy, powerful and long lasting, a totally musky smell of masculinity. Lasts on my skin seriously for about 7 hours, huge projection, I utterly love it. I agree with Pianomanmiller's reference to Shalimar, there is a similarity. 9.5/10 Wonderful juice.

pianomanmiller
pianomanmiller

I've grown to appreciate this fragrance as I've gotten older (35). To me it's smells like the male version of Shalimar, which I think is a very sexy feminine fragrance. + it really last and has great sillage.

benpaul12
benpaul12

Although it has dated and it doesn't suit me I do like this fragrance, along with the female version. I blind bought and wore it a few times with my mother saying it smelt like fly spray.

I've only ever smelt it on two other people (knowingly) and one suited it, one didn't. Just that sort of fragrance.

blauriche
blauriche

Even though I was only eight when this was released and never consciously smelled this before, I got a little bottle of it today out of curiosity and I am stunned by how vividly this transports me back the 1980s and 90s in my mind. It's fun to think about how much the world has changed in the last twenty years, but I can't imagine how I'd feel to wear this for a day.

willbear
willbear

love Obsession for men its woody and warm works well on my skin last for hours

CozyCat
CozyCat

This stuff is divine! My mother bought it recently and it quickly became her favorite scent, taking precedence over all her other female perfumes. I can see how she got addicted, I'm falling hard for it myself....It is so warm, rich, spicy and balmy. Oh, I need my man to own the biggest bottle of this! I'm in my 20's and I find this to be a very sexually suggestive scent on a man's skin. Perfect for intimate settings! It has some delicious vanilla sweetness, cuddly resinous warmth, intoxicating spices, and something else that just smells primal on a man's skin. Many reviewers mentioned a cola-like aroma, yes I get that too. This must be one of the most seductive male scents out there. But only a few sprays needed...you don't want to go trigger happy with this one, lest you want to smell like rotting meat and end up repulsing instead of attracting!! It works its magic on warm skin, so that's where u need to spray it. Just a few drops onto your chest, arms, and on your neck gentlemen, and you will be her crack cocaine. PS. I like to wear it myself sometimes, it soothes me on cold, bleak days.

pollypocket
pollypocket

Will Smith wears this perfume, that's all ladies.

fuggerone
fuggerone

blast from the past but really intriguing and exciting1 9/10

WayneDN
WayneDN

Have worn this for many years and still get people asking me what am I wearing. Just don't over spray as it is very long lasting. Great for an evening out!

Dittnergirl

I wore an entire bottle of this from the late 80's through the 90's. I bought a new bottle a while back and wore it for the first time since joining here. It was like finding a college friend on Facebook and meeting them for lunch after 20 years. I'm sure he's still a great guy, but things have changed over the years. He used to be much warmer with a dark sensuality. It lingers, but he's much brighter now, less complex. Albatross's review is dead on. My previous review was for my old friend. I miss him, but have made new friends and loves over the years and will always retain the fond memories (or just stalk his as$ on eBay until I find me a good vintage replacement)!

hossein_gi
hossein_gi

before before i buy it i read very much review of this and all say this is the best perfume for men ever made.in many sites it is in top 10 perfume for all time. and for all those reason i bought it without test.after i use it i suprised!!it is not a wonderfull cologne and smell just like cinnamon. i had headached when i used it. but don't wrong it is good perfume for winter and have very good price against others. only use it when you go out side..
قبل از خرید این عطر من تعریف و تمجیدات زیادی در مورد آن در اینترنت خواندم که از آن به عنوان بهترین عطر مردانه در تاریخ نیز ذکر شده بود و این باعث شد من این عطر را بدون تست بخرم.ولی زیاد چیز فوق العاده ای نبود.بوش از اول تا آخر بوی دارچین می دهد و ممکن است باعث سردرد شود.البته نسبت به قیمتش مناسبه و عطر خوبی برای زمستان به شمار می رود.فقط آن را زمانی استفاده کنید که بیرون می روید.
ماندگاری و پخش بوی متوسطی داره

zbansingh
zbansingh

REALLY REALLY WARM FRAGRANCE, PERFECT FOR THE LIBRARY AS IT HAS AN INTELLECTUAL CONNOTATION TO IT.
NEVER GOT A BAD COMMENT ABOUT IT

drummagick
drummagick

Smelled this on a gentleman at work yesterday and had to ask him what it was. It smelled familiar, and after he told me I realized it smelled familiar because when my youngest daughter was 17, she asked her boyfriend for a bottle for Christmas and she wore it for months. Really nice Oriental, very lush, but I can't imagine it on a younger man. It seemed perfect for the man who was wearing it yesterday, maybe early 60s and dressed well in a suit. However, my 17 year old daughter carried it off well too!

reinhard5490
reinhard5490

the finest of all Calvin Klein (if not the only men fragrance that actually good fom this house)

the botes is well blended, a bit harsh that add masculinity but the scent itself is elegant and seductive. yes, seductive. I'm rarely saying this word, but CK Obsession is DO seductive.

composed by cinnamon, vanilla and amber dominated, this one will attract the attention of most people (in a good way) the charm, elegance and seduction from this fragrance is just awesome. and as a plus, its come with a great sillage and longevity, unlike most CK lines. the only bad part is the bottle. really simple and old school, rather Spartan, but it reflects the simplicity and seductive manly scent of this Obsession.

as a side note, usually a mature women (above 30+) appeared to be the one who attracted more to this fragrance. probably because their taste is already developed through the times? few girls actually like this fragrance, even if its sweet enough in my opinion. could it be a warm cinnamon regarded as 'too mature' for some people? either way, Cinnamon-Vanilla-Amber turnout to be a masterpiece in every sense of words.

a must have for a collector, but beware, you might love this too much to change your fragrances in the later time :D

vitop
vitop

Absolutely beautiful smell. Women love it and so will you. If you like this style of creamy fougere try Boss Orange Man. I know what you're thinking..."not Boss" but guys believe me , as one who has over 140 colognes this one is a lady magnet above and beyond Obsession !

naviin
naviin

Its a nice warm long lasting smell... woody but different.. loved it

Valeriarguello
Valeriarguello

I really didn't like it on my ex-boyfriend, its too strong for me. heavy scent of patchouli. Not my favourite on men.

ericrico
ericrico

This review is for Vintage CK Obsession Cologne for Men:

I was lucky to find a wonderfully-kept, Original Vintage, 4oz/120ml splash bottle that was nearly full from a great seller! I have smelled Obsession in its latest form and it is not close to the wonderful, smooth scent it used to be. I was 14 when this came out and it was with me in high school and college. A wonderful fragrance for crisp, cool nights and young love/lust in my youth. But, after college, I bought only a single bottle (smaller size) in the mid-90's. I used it sparingly around cool evenings, date nights and then the 1oz spray bottle was gone. I parted ways after smelling the later reformulation. The scent was even different (and better) back in high school...it was so popular, but you had to be able to pull it off.

MissK writes a wonderful review here - as well as my friend K1. Interesting to hear a woman's view and a man's. I found myself in love recently with the Original Vintage Calvin by Calvin Klein (1981) - the first male scent by the house. A woody floral musk of exceptional quality. I decided, for nostalgic sake (and revisiting my youth since I just turned 40 this year) - to come back to the warming, cozy and sensual Vintage Obsession. I am so glad I did. This is so balanced. A true oriental - one could say woody, another spicy..personally I get both. It defines what intimacy smelled like in the late 80's and early 90's in my life. It was truly wonderful then, and this bottle still is!

The deep, rich cinnamon along with the vanilla, amber, sandalwood and myrrh form the main composition. Dustings of nutmeg and coriander with fresh-squeezed citrus (mainly a nice tangerine) are blended wonderfuly with a nice earthy patchouli, a light bouquet of florals and a nice, warm musk (which is almost totally clean). A lot of notes in the pyramid - I believe this holds very close to what I smell, which is deep, warm and wonderful. I have transported back to when I was in my teenage years - getting ready to go out to a party with a good friend. We put on Obsession as a final touch and felt like a million bucks. The girls didn't have a chance. It was common to wear, but in close quarters with a girl you had in a class at school and always wanted to hook up with would pause from a passionate kiss in the dimly lit room and say, "I know what you're wearing. It's Obsession...oh, you smell amazing." These were the days (and nights) that defined our youth and allowed us to realize the power of scent.

Vintage formulation (Cologne) is the only bottle I will wear. It is timeless, in my opinion. What Habit Rouge (as a masculine oriental) offers for distinction and class, Obsession delivers an equal amount in sensuality and lust. One of the scents that a man can wear in intimacy and it feels natural.

No score. Just a wonderful collection of memories from my youth in a bottle of well-kept juice that I can enjoy...

tastetherainbow87

At first I hate this Cologne I try try try to like it guess what I like it now smooth cinnamon what I get...now at first didn't like the top note smell like old man Cologne than after awhile I like the top note some this up give this a try :--)

steve0580
steve0580

The best cologne ever, hands down. I've been wearing this since the 80s and it's my signature scent, although I've recently expanded into other colognes as well.

I've had no end of compliments over the years and never once have I had anyone say they didn't like it. Women seem to gravitate to it.

Do yourself a favor and get a bottle - then, you'll understand

** Update ** I recently traded for a bottle of vintage Obsession and it's quite different from the current incarnation. The vintage is far deeper and much more complex. The current version is a lighter and more spicy scent that has a very dominant cinnamon note.

Theperfumeman
Theperfumeman

Great perfume. To be applied sparingly.

Dry down is good. A distinct vanilla essence comes out. Longevity quite good.

Overall 7.5/10.

unquote

One of the best. It has become my obsession to obtain this one in Indonesia..

tastetherainbow87

Ok here goes I dislike the top note but I like the drydown better I get a soft cinnamon that I like that's a bout it I see old man wearing it more I'm going get it just because the nice cinnamon smell :---)

35volkan77
35volkan77

CK Obsession is my endless love. I've been wearing since 1999. ( Wow, it's been 13 years!!:) I tried to try some other fragrances, but i was back everytime.
Best parts? Great longevity that saves the day with only two puffs, and strong, manly and absolutely unique smell. Hundreds of people asked me what my fragrance on me was. They loved it as i always do :)

TWebb
TWebb

My husband has worn this for years. Tried new fragrances but always comes back to Obsession. Spicy and sexy. I find it a bit overpowering when it first goes on but he hates fragrances that fade to quickly. A little spritz lasts a long time.

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

OOh , interesting mixed reviews for this one !

The people who have said its old fashioned n cheap , hmm maybe it does seem "old fashioned" if your under 25 and have only been used to modern scents , many of which have no complexity or staying power ........Smells cheap? No , i dont think it does. I think any age of guy can pull this off , but you have got to love spicy , rich heavy frags. If your a lover of unisex and light aquatic , sport type frags then maybe its a no-no.

Personally i I love it. id be drawn in by a guy wearing this :)

To me it smells rich , spicy , complex , masculine , warm and comforting. Ideal for cold windy autumn /winter days. I wouldnt wear it out as its too masculine. ( im female!)

A male friend was kind enough to make me up 2 large decants of this and Diors fareignite , i like to wear a little on my wrist on a cosy night in. Feet up , roaring fire ,a good DVD on , a glass of baileys and sniffing Obsession men = perfect cold weather night in.

Blutengel
Blutengel

I love this one. Absolute one of my all time favorites. Do you wear a suit? Spray it on! Casual Friday? Spray it on! To be used for a wide range of occasions and I even use it in summer evenings, sitting in my garden full of lavender.
Don't use too much, it will penetrate your nose (and others) but applied just right, 1 or 2 sprays, you smell wonderfull and super sexy all day, lasts very long!
I bet Sean Connery would have used this in his James Bond period.

modernmabuse
modernmabuse

Great fragrance. Best CK parfume.

northstr99
northstr99

I used to get a lot of compliments from ladies when I wore this. It's a little heavy, but still a classic refined masculine scent.

ju02
ju02

I smelled that perfume by curiosity because it was launched when I was a teenager. I am now a woman of 40 years old. It reminds me the odor of the aftershave Old Spice and this is not appealing to me.

Lerior
Lerior

I can't describe how much I hate this. Smells very cheap and soapy. Not my story.

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

I tried to like but simply just can't.. Too feminine for my taste.

Dittnergirl

I loved it so much on men back in the 80's, I bought it for myself (I am a woman) and wear it regularly. Very warm...less sweet than its female counterpart, but just as cinnamon-y and spicy. No bite or overwhelming "perfume" smell like Opium or Coco, but similar spiciness. Must be the powder that softens it. One of my many favorites.

walesman
walesman

I wear in the winter lots of compliments always very strong & spicy lasts for ages on skin & clothes

paulhunter
paulhunter

This one is nothing like I expected! I sprayed with a plugged nose, preparing myself for an animalic, musky, leathery beast. And what I found was a cinnamon heavy, powdery, and LIGHT leather fragrance. I always perceive powder differently than others (for instance, I smell none in Burberry Brit) so my opinion may not be trustworthy on that, but there certainly is a heap of cinnamon over that creamy leather base! It's very wintery and cozy, so walking home in the 106 F degree weather was a little hazy... In all, Obsession is a very sweet and leathery powerhouse Winter IMHO.

goldennotion
goldennotion

This is my husband's signature scent...he has worn this since the early 90's and it smells like pure sex appeal to me. It is mature and rich, original, and thick...not crisp and citrusy or astringent and sterile like younger scents. This is all man, like leather, and well groomed facial hair. It settles well on his skin and lasts for a long time and the smell is unmistakable.I was at a cosmetics counter and as I was looking for a new scent for my husband and man walked up, while my head was down looking at colognes, but the unmistakable smell of Obsession wafted past me...I raised my head and saw the man standing next to me and I asked if he had on Obsession which he confirmed he did...he surely wasn't my type but Obsession sure made him significantly sexier. This is my woman's perspective.

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

unfortunately the formula has changed, and unfortunately it's my favourite fume! it's a shadow of what it was, nowadays smells like latex
Why they change the formula?

fkollmeier
fkollmeier

i used to wear this fragrance much. however now that my nose has become much better i cannot find this nice in any way. the only thing i smell is alcohol and cinnamon with some sandalwood with cheap citrus and some vanilla and abet in there. in the dry down the substance thats meant to imitate amber becomes stronger and the whole thing just smells sweet. it is strong and sharp at first but just doesn't really show class.

overall not my type of fragrance at all; it is just not blended well enough.

Zenith
Zenith

Very nice fragrance here, and I was amazed it took me so long to find a sample of it. Very delightful with the spicy cinnamon and smooth vanilla, but is still quite masculine.

Interesting comparison between this and Joop Homme for me, as I found them to be similar yet with interesting differences, most notably that Obsession comes across as a lot more mature and less room filling.

If you like Joop Homme but want something a bit more wearable then give this a try. Yet to find anyone who isn't a fan

layken39
layken39

this is plain old man's scent.. and the bad news is this is my roommates signature scent!! i run for cover when he's putting this on..

murysusanto
murysusanto

Haven't seen this for a while and certainly no other like it. So I called the alchemy, this is one fine breed and to this day like I said, incomparable to thousand products out there.

pomdgf
pomdgf

In my opinion, this is a truly classic and the best men fragrance in the world. Although I don't have it right now but I sniffed it yesterday. I realize how much I want it. Charming and incredibly sexy. I give a big Wow!! I think if I wear this perfume I will looks like sex !

ASUHAN
ASUHAN

Hoy por hoy hace más de 25 años que conocemos la versión de hombre de Obsession.

Curiosa para la época en la que fue creada.
Es una fragancia que tiene una salida cítrica bastante marcada, que va perdiéndose poco a poco, para dominar al poco rato con su base, mucho más persistente.

Hay que dejar claro que es una fragancia para el invierno / otoño, es demasiado persistente como para dejarse poner en verano o en primavera.

El ámbar, el pachuli y la canela son muy perceptibles a los pocos minutos de poner el perfume, la salida es más cítrica y dulzona.

Dura horas y horas .

Hay que tener especial cuidado con este perfume si lo vas a poner en la ropa, es bastante denso y aceitoso, además, procura no mojar las prendas, se " enrancia " al poco y termina oliendo bastante mal.

Se fabrica en USA y en Francia. La versión fabricada en Francia es más oscura, más densa y aceitosa, además de más intensa que la de USA. Tendrás que tenerlo presente si piensas comprarla fuera.

En resumen:

Salida fresca.
Base MUY PERSISTENTE.
Mínimamente dulce.
Para épocas frías y SECAS.

Tamaños normales de 75, 125 y 200 ml.

tomerits
tomerits

one of my fall/winter all time fav,now in my third bottle,a true classic and never ending scent that will always be chic.lmo,the best ck creation of all time.
my rank 5/5.

Kharnak
Kharnak

Verbena, Lemon, Tonka, Musk, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Lavender, Wood, Sandalwood, Smoothly blended spices. Dries to soft but not too powdery Musk. not as punchy as i'd hoped, but very lovely. Becomes increasingly leathery masculine as it dries down. This is quite classy to me.
Reminds me of.... a Masculine version of Guerlain Jicky!
Also vaguely resembling Dana Tabu in it's complex & smoothly blended Spices. Cinnamon and Nutmeg. Has this Anisic Vanilla vibe, but not as pronounced as Jicky.
This becomes Floral too... Lavender becomes more clear, soapy, this is a VERY VERY complex bouquet, and it's still masculine with florals. This is great for casual and dress to impress nights.

Sillage: Good
Longevity: Good, stays as a good sweet skin scent. Becomes more like Cinnamon Jicky

Peegore
Peegore

Back in the day, around 1990, my brother and I owned a fragrance each. I went for the black and white bottle of Jazz ( I thought it was funky ), and he went for Obsession. Between us, and knowing how liberally we applied our new found 'smells'... the family home must have bloody reeked.

I must say that in retrospect I always was a little jealous of his Obsession. It had a warmth, sensuality, nay sexyness that my Jazz lacked.

In a bout of nostalgia recently, I purchased a 30ml bottle at a very reasonable price. I sprayed, and waited for the flashes of days gone by to rush past me, transporting me back to a time over 20 years ago. Unfortunately, due to my overexposure to many fragrances and a now keener nose for all things perfumed... it didn't happen. Instead, my analytical brain kicked in instead. The head notes of nutmeg and cinnamon immediately jumped out, bullying their way through the next hour or so, leaving not much space for anything else.

Then, things calmed down considerably, and the only thing I could smell from that point on sort of upset me. It was Sandalwood. Now, I like the smell of sandalwood usually, but over the last couple of months, the cleaning lady at work has been spraying the toilets with... cheap sandalwood airfreshner. What should have been a giddy trip down memory lane was turned into thoughts of using the works latrines. Sob.

This unfortunate situation aside, Obsession is otherwise a pleasant, slightly retro, warm spicey frag. Not quite as powerful as I remember it, especially later in the heart notes, but still big with longevity and sillage, and not yet too outdated to be considered irrelevant today.

smellike
smellike

This fragrance is absolutely fantastic. I love it, a very masculine, spicy, musky, woody fragrance good projection and lasts 5 hours before I need just a little more (although I can still smell it 8 hours later the projection isnt as strong as within the first 5 hours). I highly recommend Obsession.

miguel.cabrera
miguel.cabrera

I love this spicy goodness man frag. I do not sense the vanilla scent in this fortunately as I think vanilla doesn't belong in a good frag! I feel like a scented candle if I wear vanilla. So I tend to stir around all vanilla frags where mostly the basenotes contains it like Le Male Jean Paul Gaultier for men for example where the Vanilla is very prominent I think. Or it doesn't blend well with my natural skin or something. Maybe the Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Sandalwood and Vetiver kills it in this case as there's so many different notes in this one. Also I wonder if there's any real natural stuff in it. Or it's all a chemical composition.

ZELJO
ZELJO

sad to see they are quitting that one in most of shops now, here at least, golden 80s memories but still smells fresh, like cinnamon mixed up with a coke candy, eternally young parfum I still use often...like today

dmoman
dmoman

Imho the only club that deserves to be in anyone's rotation. This smells nice and is noticable. It's not a synthetic as most other club fragrance. 8.5 out of ten.

Lushylori
Lushylori

At first when I smelled this one on a man I was convinced that he was wearing Obsession for women because it smelled just like it.I thought that he may have gotten the bottles confused when he purchased this one because the bottle to the womens obsession looks rather masculine (which I love BTW)but he kept telling me it was the Mens version but I just teased him about wearing a lady perfume and still didnt believe him :):)
Years later I bought my husband a gift set with Obsession for men and sure enough,My old buddy that I teased years earlier was telling me the truth...He was wearing the male version lol
This Smells Yummy on men and at first I was a bit put off by it smelling so similar to my Womens Obsession But I really grew to love smelling this on my man.
Sweet ,Warm and woody with spice is always something I love to smell on guys.This one is definitely a winner and I would recomend it for sure.I wouldnt wear it everyday if I was a guy but I would wear it often for sure though :):)

miahreis
miahreis

My boyfriend wears this fragrance, but he has the roll on body oil. I remember when he first wore it and I hugged him and put my nose in his neck O...M...G! It smelled amazing on him! When we had cuddle time that's all I could do was smell him, and then after I went home and took off my sweater I smelled this on it and it reminded me of him so I didn't wash it for a week lol I hope he doesn't change because this is an awesome sexy scent, I LOVE IT!

misterjohn

@micah.mcgahee: I suspect you must have gotten a copy that has turned or is counterfeit. If anything, Obsession's problem is that it is too sweet. It doesn't go near challenging animalic notes. I detected nothing eve vaguely like rotting wood or dust bunnies. Indeed, I don't think that wood of any sort (rotting or otherwise) is really a major note in this one.

Really surprised by your review.

misterjohn

This is one of my favorite fragrances. The family loves it too. Some evenings, I do something called "fragrance challenge," which my 10 year old son loves. About an hour before the challenge, I'll spray each wrist with a different fragrance. I then present them to him (and to my wife) labeled as "fragrance A" and "fragrance B." In head to head test against a ton of different fragrances, Obsession is a clear winner.

Why is it a winner? I think the key is the blend of sweet cinnamon and spice with darker, more mysterious oriental scents like amber and musk. The two sets of notes blend perfectly together to create a fragrance that is rich, complex, and changing over time. When I first apply it, I get cinnamon, nutmeg, and some florals as well, possibly jasmine. The florals start to fade off and are replaced by woody scents like sandalwood. Also, the vanilla starts to kick in. Many hours after application, the woody parts start to disappear and are replaced by amber and incense. The sweetness of the cinnamon and the vanilla persist throughout. This lovely mixture remains for a considerable period. I can still smell it at bedtime after applying in the morning.

The projection of this scent is also excellent. It's not suffocating like some powerhouse scents, but when I sweep my arms near my head, there is a wonderful sweet and spicy scent. Sillage is also very good.

There is really nothing not to like about this fragrance, including the price, which is very reasonable. I got a 1 oz bottle along with an after shave balm in a gift set sold post-xmas at Marshalls for only $20.

It always makes me smile to put this on. Suitable for day or evening. Probably better in winter than in summer though, living in the California Bay Area, there's not much difference between the seasons.

So good it's worth a blind buy. This is not a love/hate fragrance, it's more like a love/like, so you cannot go wrong.

baba
baba

You are about to read the opinion of an everyday average Joe. (Where ever on earth you may be, Please read this in a dialect you perceive to be working class.)

I present ...."Average Joe Review".

Please cop a squat, were about to start...

Welcome to the debut edition of Average Joe Review, I'm Average Joe, and today were gonna talk about dis here smelly water called Obsession made by some fella named Mr. Klein.
This stuff smells pretty damn good. I don't know nuthin about these notes and crap, but I mean why are we even talkin about music? Anywho, when I get my paycheck cashed at the currency exchange every week, and they hand me the fresh cash? Well dis stuff stinks better than that.

I bet dis is the same stuff billionaires wear, thats why I like to wear it, so's I can feel like dem. I don't know how they made dis ting, but it smells like dis Calvin fella got drunk and got into my grandmas spice cabinet. But I think Calvin is onto somethin here, I like dis guy, but not like a queer.

Hey, just cause I talk about smelly stuff,don't make me no homo ok? Look, I may not know too much, but I know how I feels, and dis stuff makes me feels good when I smell it. Dat's it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give this a B+.

Buy it? Steal it? or give it to your parole officer?

I say BUY IT! Its that damn good, Obsession stinks great and I am Average Joe.

ihsan
ihsan

one of my first shopping after graduation & getting first stipend ten years . but i lost the bottle 2/3rd filled some two years back in shifting. yesterday i got a fresh bottle gifted by my father in law.
a very powerful one, lasting for hours, recommended for romantic evening wear.

kellz1843
kellz1843

This was the first fragrance I fell in love with when I was 18/19 yrs old. I had my first apartment and thought I was pimping. (not really) I read a review saying this has been reformulated. I still have 1/3 of a bottle left from 1991 when I graduated. It's winter here, maybe I'll break this out for old times sake....

Absintheus
Absintheus

My friend just bought me this recently, and I must say I'm thoroughly amazed! I've been a sucker to orientals, and this one's no exception. It's that type of perfume where the top notes are not the best part (for me I adore it, but not all who smell the top notes) but the middle notes just smell heaven. My girl students were hugging me because they said I smelled really good.

Sillage: 8/10 You can smell it, but the wonderful notes stay somewhat close to me
Scent: 9/10 I'm not sure if the scent is really unique, but I really love it!
Longevity: 9/10 It stays really long, and is definitely suited for long hours :D

scenturian
scenturian

Best of cK so far. Reformulated but still resembles the original and still strong.
Not for everybody. Be sure 2try before buy.

I fully agree with karlovonamesti: "Calvin Klein's most serious cologne offering"

adajetisha
adajetisha

I had to check fragrantica for Calvin Klein Obsession after seeing it in my boyfriend's car. I had never heard of this before until he told me about it. At first I was a little "unimpressed" (for lack of a better word) as I'm not particularly fond of CK fragrances (I was as a teenager, but my taste has evolved over time) but after complimenting him for how he smelled wearing this scent, I guess I can say I quite like it. Interestingly enough it smells a bit spicy in the first half hour or so and then dries down a really fresh clean scent. I don't know why it's a bit backwards for me but that's what I smell on him. I wouldn't go so far and say that I love this scent but it works with my boyfriend's body chemistry, so I quite like it.

CoriH
CoriH

I love this cologne. i think It smells like sex in a bottle, how a real man should smell. An alpha male cologne at its best. I got this for my ex who thought that it was way too intense I suppose it was too much man for him. I want to get it for my current Bf but right nw it's a toss up between this and hot water and because i now associate this scent with my ex I am inclined to get hot water instead. Brilliant scent.

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

A classic by Calvin Klein. This was my favorite back in the 80s...but is now an occasional scent I put on. Great powerful smell. Recommended for cold weather wear and evening.

blueberry
blueberry

Obsession for Men is a truly unisex fragrance to me - I have no second thoughts while wearing it proudly in the autumnal chill. It is a powerful oriental, even in the reformulated version that I own I get this vintage vibe of good old days.

After the initial citruses evaporate in just a few seconds, the cinnamon and vanilla notes dominate the composition, but they are by no means harsh or too obvious - the blend turns very powdery and a bit dry even though it is pretty sweet. The myrrh enriches the combo and makes it refined, transporting me mentally into some ancient temple.

This is a scent for cold days, so fluffy and cozy that I have never enough of smelling it. Funnily enough, I find the drydown a bit similar to Must Essence PH and to that of Habanita, but this only proves that it is a good oriental fragrance.
I like it very much in the current form, wishing to have known the vintage original composition.

evilspin
evilspin

ATTENTION: I never understood when people talked down on a fragrance because it was "very strong" or "brooding". If so, then dont BATHE in it.GEEEZ Most guys spray a fragrance EVERYWHERE. On hair, on neck on arm on chest on clothes and spray 20 times. WRONG!!!. Hate seeing people not knowing wear to apply. I've even see fragrance salespeople spray and apply wrong. Do not apply on clothes. IT IS A WASTE of juice when it suffices to have used that spray on yourself on another day/night. NO ONE smells it on your clothes as you walk by. Only if their noses was pressed against the cotton. The oils of fragrances are meant to change and mix with the complexities of your own natural bodies PH. NOT COTTON! It is not a linen spray. GUYS, If a fragrance is strong, it is meant to apply 2 sprays. Thats it! Under neck where throat area is along jaw line is best place since its a constant heat and pulse point. This continues to give off the scent all day. You wont smell it on you as much. But OTHERS WILL! Another trick after you apply there is NOT TO RUB!!! take your fingers and gently dab some of the fragrance from your throat area after application and place it in/around ear area. (That way when women kiss you, the scent from your ear area goes into their noses.) When they hug you they smell it in your neck area. When you walk the scent fumes from your neck due to the fragrance sizzling on the heat of your skin which is your MAIN pulse point. You can even check and rub this area throughout the day and night with the top of your hands and notice how the smell is on your hands and still on your throat. Another area that holds the scent well (but not neccesarily needed since you would have to be waving your arms in the air for people to notice) is the inner joint of your elbows, another pulse point. The wrist is pointless. Even though its another pulse point, its the weakest and the scent goes away the quickest due to the skins texture and hands being placed everywhere like tables, and at keyboards throughout the day. The inner elbows and wrist is only good to TRY and TEST fragrances on your natural scent before you buy. But ear, jawline and throat are best to apply to go out and be noticed! This tip will help you become a little less silly and ignorant seeming and will get you more noticed as well as get the most of your fragrance and save you on juice. :)

krmarich
krmarich

It was the summer of 1988 and I abandoned all other for this somewhat candy-like newfangled oriental. The spices were heady and luscious! It was sooo sex and long lasting. I would stay out dancing until 3A. Yes, it was a major joyride. CK had a certified hit for men and they exploited it for all it was worth!

It trumped all of the competition. It was better than the womens version. Ladies used it as well. I guess it opened the gates for the unisex market. Alas, CK should have just kept this timeless beauty on the market, rather than the expensive endless sequels to follow. I guess lightening only strikes once...

I had to revisit this pleasure palace just to see how for old time sake.My local Kohls had a sample. I gave a spray. Yes the top notes were there and stopped suddenly and violently. Chemicals replaced the spices and my heart sank. My obsession had become worthless and forgotten. What I wouldnt give for a vintage!

hexpainter
hexpainter

Bought a leather jacket and a bottle of Obsession when I turned 25.
Every time I wear it now I'm that 25 year old bad a**.

twlahue

Seems like a love or hate fragrance for most.

I love it, primarily for Fall and Winter.
A Classic for sure...

andy

its typical for fashion designers to make sexual and provocative names for their scents but many of them end up being way too overpowering/harsh and unappealing.

Personally i have smelled this on numerous occasions and it has a bit too much lavendar and the amber makes it pungent and the spices really make it a bit harsh smelling and give it a chemical feel.

ashxil
ashxil

This is me Ali who is basically a collector of perfumes... anyways CK Obsession is a classy perfume i have ever used. It is long Lasting & Gives a good personality

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

it's a pity this perfume will not be produced in future....;(

soned
soned

From CK site;

top notes: mandarin, bergamot
mid notes: lavender, myrrh, sage, spices
base notes: amber, musk, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli

My second favorite, after Allure Homme. This scent is used to calm down female lions and female tigers when they get angry, since they focus their attention on the scent, and this is a fact, no joke. Does it do the same to female human beings?.......Ohhhhh yeah!

hellogoddag
hellogoddag

Very comfortable, cozy and gentle fragrance.
Great sweet amber/wood combination
The picture I get, smelling this is playing a relaxing melody on a wood-piano while the afternoon coffee is about to get ready.

After a very pungent opening, I get a very dry and spicey-sweet cola scent against a backdrop of musk and musty woods...yes, that's right, COLA...Pepsi or Coke in powder form rather than liquid to be precise, because it smells like what cola tastes if that makes sense. For me, that is a good thing here because I like this scent. Obsession is darkly comforting with a very dry sort of warmth. A fall/winter scent for mysterious, masculine men or dangerous femme fatales... or for anyone who'd enjoy smelling like sexed-up, towel-dried and skin-warmed dark cola. A great scent for cuddling by the fireplace too, there is something in it I find very soothing yet sexy. Do try it out if you are a fan of spicy-woodsy, oriental scents.

LaGari
LaGari

(EDP)

Bold, Classy & Chic. An Elegant fragrance for the Mysterious and charming gentlemen. mmm...James Bond.

The cinnamon & vanilla takes center stage in a tango, & the nutmeg really comes through for me. Every other note is noticed and blends beautifully. Its sweet, spicy and smokey.

It's so intoxicating and Seductive, I cant stop taking a sniff! I love it even more as it dries. It reminds me of Givenchy Pi & also Chanel Allure sensuelle. This frag is almost unisex, but still very manly.

But be careful not to overspray with this guys. A little goes a long way.

Edit: OMG my cat loves it, he wont stop licking my arm! I think he's a little high now. Oh yes, he's high, definitely.

samihardanian

سنگین
سکسی
مردانه و شدیدا اغواکننده

andy

this is a fairly loud fragrance that distinguishes itself from others, but like many lavendar scents USE VERY SPARINGLY

honestly, i have had my share of these types of scents and this one honestly is strong and overpowering and most people just simply do not want to smell pungent lavendar and amber........... which is why most of the women at the scent counter told me they honestly did not reccomend this

Chris72
Chris72

This used to b the bomb back in the day, everytime I see the bottle somewhere it brings back good memories....but as some have already posted...sadly that was a long time ago :( It was excellent way back then, but for a long time now, I've been off to bigger & better things :)

querelle
querelle

I used to love it back then when it first came out. Sadly, it's not the same anymore.. I guess our relationship has taken it's toll. I'm moving on.

instantjim

I reviewed this a couple of years ago and said essentially that I thought that it was not a fragrance for me. Well I gave my bottle to my daughter and she eventually gave it back... and I am glad she did! I like this much more than I imagined - largely because to my nose it shares similarities with Lagerfeld Classic, but it is not quite as strong. The floral middle notes are prominent and they are modified wonderfully by the spices.

RobbieX

Used to have this 5 years ago...then it wasn't my type of fragrance. Lately I've grown to love some vanilla/orientals. Might have a squirt again, see what I think....I'll have to buy some

Siv55
Siv55

Around the early nineties, some female friends of mine all decided to like Eternity for Men at the same time. A bottle of it was shared. I like it too and wanted some. I can't remember what it smelled like and it's irrelevant here. The story is that I liked Obsession for Women and Eternity for Men and asked my mother to get either duty-free when she went on holiday. Bless her, she came back with Obsession for Men. Which is quite clearly a masculine. It's a muscular, bearded, overall wearing mechanic of a scent. It's so manly it will make you grow chest hair. It will carry your suitcase for you, upstairs without wincing.
It made me wish I had a boyfriend at the time.
I personally get "fougere with knobs on" from this.
Very very male. Did I mention that?

BIG

I bought a 30 ml bottle and the juice inside isn't the one that used to be in the past. There's no spicy sweetness - i'm so disappointed. Guess i grabbed a reformulated bottle. Ugh!

masterbrush
masterbrush

Very 80's, in your face, careerdriven (Wall Street the movie) scent. Kind of a classic though, but to me a bit too much associated with the time it was launched.

Ms. Holmar
Ms. Holmar

I love this scent. I bought it for my boyfriend who doesn't like to wear cologne unfortunately. I think I will wear it myself. Someone mentioned it could possibly be a unisex perfume...well now it is.

dubeau206
dubeau206

I like it, but it's a pretty "unsafe" fragrance. All I've ever had as far as comments on it was "what smells like potpourri??" It definitely says old man, and I'm 25, so I rarely put this one on... What I like about it is that it's extremely unique. You don't smell anything like this... I don't know of anything even remotely similar, but I'm no connoisseur. It's overpoweringly spicy. But I don't hate it.

twlahue

great for winter, smells like an old man, but hey i am pushing 40, so...
my wife likes it, so that is all that matters.

cool thing about obsession, it mixes well with other scents. it adds a deepness to many lighter fragrances. if you have a weaker summer scent, like some of the nauticas etc... try spraying them on and then adding a shot of obsession with it.

i have also tried this with burberry london- works pretty good.

lisa_k
lisa_k

I am woman who loves wearing Obsession for men. I don't even like thw women's version. This one blends well with my chemistry and is a long time winter/fall favorite. It is like subtle amber vanilla cinnamon warmth. Spicy but mild. Once again, it all comes down to chemistry.

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

I read that Gemma Ward wears this one

guest_Frag
guest_Frag

Very strong fragrance. Interesting but it does smell kinda old. I could see this on a slightly perverted leather faced teacher who will rub a pupils back when looking over her/his shoulder. Seedy, old, but could also just be plain camp on another person. It is a weird one. Not for me, I believe, as I prefer lighter fragrances.

When I smelt Obsession for Men for the very first time I was amazed that I hadn't come across this fragrance sooner. It has all the qualities I desire in my own perfumes, let alone what I wish every man would smell like.

I love the scent of incense, particularly sandalwood, patchouli or vanilla based incense sticks. This fragrance smells like a beautiful combination of the three, all smokey, spicy and sweet.

Obsession for Men does perhaps smell a little 'churchy' and a little too oriental for some, but this fragrance intrigues me. There's nothing about this fragrance that speaks 'overly dated 80's scent' to me.

I find this fragrance to be very unisex. It smells very similar to a lot of fragrance's I have on my own wishlist right now, like, Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal and 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel.

Despite its obvious incense note, this fragrance does tend to have a soapy quality that is lovely and clean smelling, taming those sometimes harsh spicy notes. Obsession for Men is the kind of fragrance which is sexy and cuddly at the same time, two conflicting feelings in one bottle.

The sillage and lasting power are great, and at such an inexpensive price, I'm amazed that this isn't more popular than it is.

nikola76
nikola76

The best ck i tried the laedis seem to have liked it.

guest_ROUSAK

Great scent, it is a legend
I put this with the real men fragrance Catagory ( Aramis, Anasteus, kouros, Azzaro and Obsession). You feel like a king when you were these fragrances...the best of CK till now

guest_ROUSAK

Real men should smell Like Aramis, Polo original, korous, Azzaro and Obsession.
Yes imagine a scent from CK falls it to the same classic great fragrances catogory.
It lasts for a long time i can smell it on my self when i am sleeping, this is a real master piece from CK
Buy it and you will not regret it.

Cologne Junkie72
Cologne Junkie72

This scent is by far one of CK's best.It lasts very long,and has a smooth smell to it.Great for formal wear,or casual.

varondandy
varondandy

i don't get any of the citrus notes,i do get the lavender and cinnamon,as the scent progreses the jasmine,pine and myrhh kick in, in a very exotic oriental way and then the amber,musk and vanila settle down wonderfully! i have used this scent for the last 20 years.definetly a winner, a must use in fall and winter.ciao!

BIG

To me it's a weird combination of Escada "Magnetism" + JPG "Le male". Although Obsession precedes the both of them, i can detect similar notes in the frags mentioned above. It's a scent that attracts women and may be you'll be greeted with more than a smile!

guest_joeyaddo@gh
guest_joeyaddo@gh

oh gosh this is a must wear cologne if you are the type of guy who wants the attention of all the females in ur vicinity.

the top notes are very loud and sometimes irritating but dont forget, it pays to wait. after a while it becomes subtle and bursts with refreshing scents of cinnamon and musk and always reminds me of the saigon cinnamon in our kitchen.

a must have in one's collection, last long and silage is moderate. trust me you cant get the girls off your back with this. truly an OBSESSION.

mohit.mair
mohit.mair

Very mature scent.
Dominating notes are musk and cinnamon. Sometimes smells like old spice.
Longevity is very good. Silage is average. Very strong. More than 3 sprays could give you headache.

Will work best in winters.

guest_oslo-fjord
guest_oslo-fjord

-This is a sophisticated fragrance indeed. It`s still popular, and I can notice the smell here and there.. Mostly on men 55+, and I think it`s there this fragrance belong.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Absolutely gorgeous scent for a man!!!!! Very seductive and alluring. Can't stand the female version but if I smell this on a man, you will definitely get a raised eyebrow from me! Im getting ready to purchase this for myself. It can be used a unisex scent easily. I don't know why Calvin Klein just didn't like he does with all his scents and not wasted all our time with the woman's version thats awful!

swedeangel
swedeangel

Obsession is a very exiting scent, hard to pull off. I tried with thr womens scent,and how much i tried,i just couldnt. Its too much of everything,too heavy.
But the male version... on my hubbie... Oh god,there the pieces come togehter. Its very familiar to eachother,but does better as a malescent . Sexy!

Frostbite
Frostbite

I was in middle school a couple of years after this was released and it was wildly popular among the boys I went to school with. It's actually a decent smelling fragrance but as others have mentioned, a little goes a very long way. When applied in great quantity (as teenagers are wont to do), it has a tendency toward the cloying and sickly-sweet. Used sparingly it has a pleasant smell but is far from one of my favorites. Still, it does bring back memories.

clortiz
clortiz

Great smell, but really cant be appreciated right out of the bottle. This is a scent that gets SOOO much better the longer its on you, and very long lasting!

bronstein

It's interesting that some mention that this one's composition had been changed. In fact, when I got a new bottle circa 1998, I noticed there was something different. I even wondered whether it could be a counterfeit that I got hold of...

But if they changed the formula, I got used to the new one as well. A classic has to be updated form the time to time to keep it in fashion, I guess. Viva Obsession, the true classic.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I still have a bottle of this from the early 90s. I believe from what I've read it has been somewhat reformulated since then, and I know little about that. But I can say that this original cologne is very churchy smelling. Lots of oriental spice, hints of incense, mixed with a "soapy" element that comes across most in the drydown.

The thing is, I think this is Calvin Klein's most serious cologne offering, out of the myriad of scents they've produced over the years. But my problem with it lies in over-application. Just a drop too much results in a headache. For that reason and that reason alone, I can not continue to wear it, and can not really recommend that anyone in 2010 wear it either.

bronstein

A true classic. For me, this scent will never go out of fashion.

ObsessionForMen
ObsessionForMen

Well, every man should own a bottle of a classic. I wouldn't want to wear it everyday, but it is nice to have a bit of nostalgia now and then. OFM is a nonpareil gem. A harsh blast upon application but is settles down nicely to a warm, ambery, spicy glow. I like this more in the somewhat cooler months as I live in a sub-tropical environment and it can be a bit much on a warm and humid day. Do try it if you have not done so.

costaleo
costaleo

I'm obsessed with it... It's a great scent, very well crafted.

andy

is it a classic? YES OF COURSE but its heavy on lavendar and must be worn at the right occasion. this woodsy oriental really packs a punch and has a nice aroma and is one of the few scents from the 1980s that is still wearable but be very conservative with ur application and this scent really works BEST when worn subtle

cassio
cassio

I just love this fragrance, it's good to wear here in Brazil during winter, that´s not so cold. Makes me feel warm and sexy too.
I use to buy everytime my bottle ends.

Andy Capobianco
Andy Capobianco

Sweet and spicy, can totally smell the cinnamon at the beginning. I think it's nice, and can be used in different occasions and quite unique compared to anything else I've tried. I like it for evening wear the most. lasts long too

albania9diadem
albania9diadem

A strong burst of cinnamon hits you right off the bat. Musky, very long lasting. A classic fragrance that reminds me of the 80's. I also noticed the rotting meat note in this fragrance that other people pointed out.

Jfbanks
Jfbanks

Cologne definately is one of the stronger colognes for staying power. 8hrs in and I can still smell it with no problem. Not one of my favorites but it does last forever.

instantjim

I bought this based on reviews, tried it a couple of times, but I must say it doesn't do anything for me. It is too light. I ended up giving it to my teenage daughter, who agreed with me that it smells more like a fragrance for women than men (or maybe I'm just too old for it).

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

This musky fragrance was the Axe body spray of the '80s. A dram is enough to announce to the world that you are on the prowl. Its blend of myrrh, cloves, bergamot and patchouli should make you smell like spiced apple cider. Happily, it doesn't.

jasonx
jasonx

You make me laugh a lot loveperfumes :D. To me Obsession is the oldest smelling fragrance form CK. But it's nice though I still wear it every once in a while and I'm 25:D

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

This perfume has justified its name in my life to the full. First, I came across it many years ago, when I got my first job. My boss looked very old, actually much older than his real age (fifty smth) but he was very energetic, so to say. His favourite perfume was just Obsession and we got Obsession trail everywhere in the office. It was dirty sweet and overpowering (“rotten meat” is a salted comparison, I suppose). What was the worst, the scent just emphasized his deep wrinkles and grey hair, it was just disgusting.

One year later I helped a boy in his teens with his English lessons and one day we learnt a new word… Right. Obsession. I couldn’t help mentioning the perfume, because it got stuck in my memory. And in a month he was celebrating his birthday and asked his friends for a bottle of Obsession, so he got 125 ml. Since that my life was full of Obsession again. He poured it on himself like crazy drowning in this mature scent, my apartment when he left was just saturated with the scent... What can I say? The sillage and staying power are just fabulous.

However, the scent is neither for a grandpa nor for a grandson, but for someone in between.

Abbas
Abbas

A bright and catching fragrance that arround me all the day and meake my mood cool and relex.

I add obsession in best 10 purfumes of my wardrobe.

sharyssa
sharyssa

Sampled this yesterday and I like it much more than the womens version.It is so spicy and sweet to me.I want this for myself and I will have to hide it from my man so he doesn't use it all!

ZeeK
ZeeK

From my wardrobe it is not among the top list of my "5-star" perfumes category but yes it is different and I only wears it occasionally depends on mood when I dare to feel some beam like fragrance rest in me.

Even it is a fresh & citrusy fragrance but from beginning I kept on smelling the powdery affect and this is the only reason it didn’t get thumbs up for my tastes as I am not very fond of powdery fragrances. It is a very bold fragrance and goes to a warm dry -down. Not absolutely a formal wear, most suitable for party, wedding type events and / or for some special occasion. Over apply is not recommended. And simply it is not “every body’s” fragrance. Obsession composition is citrus blast at top, floral heart & woody / musky base.

Malegria
Malegria

I loved to wear it and finally got a bottle for myself after a long break! I don`t know if my husband will like it, but if not - more for me...It is a very warm, caressing scent and makes me feel secure.On the contrary to all the hoopla about this frag advertising it as the most sexy and bla bla bla, I think it is very tamed and furry, nice to sleep in.It has a weird mint note, I can`t understand where it`s coming from. I wish it had more patchouli in the base then vetiver, but it`s a minor thing. Another little flaw is that it - amazingly - does not live long on my skin if applied without any lotion first. But I think it`s the trouble of the most people with dry skin.

Kama
Kama

It is ma father signature smell... so I disagree with previous person that it is supposed to smells like an old ladies' bridge game...
Not at all...it is fragrance for strong man who know what he wants... and does not afraid to be noticed in the croud... I love those perfume, and I recommend them to any men in his 30's, 40's... my father is 58y..and it also suits him great!

Cassiano
Cassiano

This will be perhaps the most spicy review I've ever written so far, but I need to be honest with the sensations that each fragrance develops on my skin in order to give you the exact idea of what they can represent.

Released in 1986, this cologne was, together with its female version, the most successful duo of the 80’s and still, won the Fifi Awards in 1987.

Its aroma is exotic and oriental and its notes are perfectly harmonized, resulting in a strong and animalic fragrance that borders on unisex. Its output has notes of coriander, lavender, citrus and cinnamon. The body of the fragrance is enriched with carnation, jasmine, rosewood, myrrh, nutmeg and red fruits. This is the most interesting part of the fragrance and responsible for the splendor that exudes from the skin. Finally, the base is woody by vetiver, sandalwood and patchouli and, slightly creamy, thanks to a touch of vanilla and musk.

Personally, I just think about sex when I wear this perfume. On my skin, it's totally aphrodisiac. Both lasting and projection are excellent.
Thanks Calvin!

felixbaby
felixbaby

I have to be absolutely captivated by a male fragrance to actually purchase a bottle and Calvin Klein's Obsession did to me exactly that.
This eau de toilette has many interesting appearances riding on an earthy landscape of sandalwood amber warmth.
Walnut and coriander are just two that poke through the fresh and clean citrus high notes. Cinnamon also shows its spice but the scent always maintains a lively freshness.
Obsession isn't for everyone - you need to be brave enough to surrender yourself to all its obvious layers to also discover its hidden nuances.

shehbaz
shehbaz

wonderful, classic men's perfume. i think gillette's catch line applies to it, "the best a man can get"!

and it lasts like ages!

ticalau
ticalau

This fragrance gives an air of wealthy man, rich man! I belive this one it's the best from CK ! I smelled this, first time on my bro in 95-96 i guess... i was amazed! I like it a lot, it's very powerful and strong... and i even like the bottle 2! But since i found dior homme well... i replaced :D

afraafra
afraafra

I have come to think that the "rotting" note in Obsession is the combination of Lavender and Jasmin, I get this in some other scents with these two together, maybe the percentage of each is important?

jeca
jeca

This is a very sexy scent, I smell a nice woody harmony with cinnamon and incense, warm and powerful.

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

This is a very powerful cologne. Lasts for hours. A little splash on the finger to apply goes a long, long way. The atomizer sprays out way too much and is too strong. Even a mist in the air is too much. This used to be my fav when it first came out, but then everyone started wearing it (LOL). Maybe the rotting meat fragrance is coming from the musk? Musk is really enhanced/changed by people's natural odor.

Aiona
Aiona

I caught a whiff of this last week, on someone at work. I don't know why it always reminds me of rotting meat. But nicely sweetened rotten meat. Perhaps it's the French "purdeur" thing or whatever it's called -- that touch of something stinky. And it seems to work, because ironically, I find that it's always the cutest guys who are wearing this unmistakable stinky scent.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein 3.67 out of 5 based on 1145 ratings and 216 user reviews

OBSESSION for MEN by Calvin Klein EDT SPRAY .67 OZ UNBOXED
Calvin Klein - Dark Obsession for Men Set N A - Beauty
Beauty.com
Calvin Klein OBSESSION for men Eau de Toilette Spray, 6.7 fl oz
Calvin Klein OBSESSION for men Eau de Toilette Spray, 6.7 fl oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Calvin Klein Obsession for Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Calvin Klein Obsession for Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.