Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

Montaigne Caron for women
dislike

yellow floral
Montaigne Caron for women Pictures

Montaigne by Caron is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Montaigne was launched in 2007. The nose behind this fragrance is Richard Fraysse. Top notes are jasmine, coriander, bitter orange, mimosa and tangerine; middle notes are narcissus and black currant; base notes are sandalwood, amber and vanille.

Jasmine Coriander Bitter Orange Mimosa Tangerine

Curiel

Montaigne Fragrance Reviews

kl99
kl99

Sort of "green" almond and big fat oily flowers.

A so woman frag. Also summer thiaré kind of scent.
Remind me a yellow version of Un Air de Samsara which in fact (I have found just now) is only composed by narcissus jasmine bergamot lemon sandalwood and mint.

oks-oks
oks-oks

Oh, this one is quite different! My first Caron.

It opens with a punch of flowers, orange and peppery coriander in your face. The vibe is very old-fashion - not 70s old-fashion but I suppose more like 40-50s old-fashioned. You might be tempted to wash it off immediately as I was but don't rush, give Caron a chance. It does deserve it!

Montaigne does some interesting development on skin and in about 20 minutes it becomes a much softer and rounder fragrance, much more modern, still bold but well balanced. To me it is an amber bomb with mimosa, coriander, orange and sandal. It is quite synthetic but nevertheless very enjoyable. The base notes stay long and feel almost eatable, remind me very much of the long dry down of Prada Amber. The same synthetic sweetened vanillic amber with sandal.

This fragrance may take a couple approaches before you start liking it. It is very affordable and worth of a try if you like amber/sandal/vanilla/orange type of perfumes. Not the most sophisticated one but very likable and cosy. I would suggest to spray 20-30 min before you are going out. The projection is moderate to soft, the longevity is decent.

Pixie1104
Pixie1104

I'm glad I paid so little for this because in complete honesty I find it quite revolting.

It looked good from the notes and the description but sadly, on me at least, it smells like something someone 30 years older than me would have worn back in 1983.

Not good :(

phurstclass
phurstclass

Bought this on spec as it was so cheap. It is the bargain of the year for me! Wonderful rich silky deep sweetness. It breathes luxury and elegance. Old fashioned yes but in the way only a real classic fragrance is. Love it.

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

This is good stuff. I like a yellow floral (Volupte is a favourite) and this provides just that kind of ambience, but much more softly than the de la Renta. In fact it is a gentle fragrance altogether, but rich and fairly sweet at the same time.

It does have a very classic tone, so likely to be a hit with vintage-lovers and to seem strange to modernists.

There's certainly a slight cake vibe, with marzipan in the middle and something like pineapple towards the end. It's all very yummy - a good winter scent. It puts me in mind of sitting by the fire on a cold winter afternoon with a slice of cake and a small glass of some sweet tipple - madeira perhaps.

Sillage and longevity are both decent.

Right now 30ml of EdP can be yours for £10 in the UK (presumably it is discontinued) which strikes me as the most amazing bargain. I'm stocking up for Christmas presents, though maybe not for the under-30s.

Mimmi
Mimmi

I love the first 1-2 hours of Montaigne - narcissus, bittersweet oranges and some cardamon. I understand the references to vintage perfumery, there is something in it's inital play with complementary notes that feels classical. But after the first hours, Montaigne turns it's shining lights low and morphs into an anonymous sweet vanilla-sandal pudding, with a vague pollen-note. On my skin I can't sense any spices, just this monotonous pudding-aroma with very little projection.
I recommend a proper testing before committing, as others seem to be doing much better, yet on my skin this promising scent turned into a disappointment.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I was hoping for an old-fashioned fragrance that smells like the notes listed. Unfortunately, I was hit in the face with the synthetic-sandalwood note to which I'm obviously so hypersensitive. Not a go for me.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

This is a soapy vintage bubblegum on me. And I love it. :-)

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

I am not sure about Caron for me. I had Royal Bain and had to chuck it out. I got Montaigne for a very good price so thought I would give Caron one last chance. Montaigne opened with a bitter almost cat pee note. Must be the daffodils. Oh dear. But this quickly fades into something sweeter, still floral and more ambery . A light breath of dewy spring garden. Not at all a heavy oriental. The more it settles the more it reminds me of Oscar Celebration. If anything it is a bit better than the oscar which tends to give a slight tang of rubber tyres. Ok Caron. I let you off. You can stay on my shelf this time.

Planet_X
Planet_X

My first Caron. Stunning bottle, golden-yellow-bright juice and probably the best reformulation ever been made - you simply can not beleive that this fragrance was re-done in 2007 so vintagy it smells. And how vintage smells - of real life and of quality)

Its rich beautiful scent, would be safe buy for amateurs of Van Cleef Van Cleef and Azzaro 9 to my nose.
To me its pretty much scottish spring - lots of wild narcissus across the country roads, a bit of dust dancing in a wind, mimosa from the garden of neighbours, zesty orange - you step out of the house - swallow this sunny beauty and breath!..
I Am sooo happy its NOT over-powered by vanilla like in a modern fragrances,not over-powered by sandal, its all about the balance and sensuality. I wish the springs would last for half of the year..and wish at least few women that I meet during day, would wear Montaigne...

misslawbore
misslawbore

This scent hits you harshly with bitter orange and narcissus at the start, it's springtime in Seville - then it surprises by suddenly getting warmer,spicier with the sandalwood and the amber; finally the vanilla mixing in with the orientals for a sweeter ending. Just the most beautiful perfume for evening pretty much any time of year.

spidola
spidola

It surprises me, that Montaigen has been created 2007 – for my nose it’s a pure vintage scent. The review about it are very different and it’s confirms once again how the perception of perfumes depends on person.
Montaigne is strong, heavy, suffocating floral-oriental perfume for me. I put just one drop on my arm, but it seemed still too much. Yes, it’s elegant and rich, but it’s definitely not my fragrance. Surely there are ladies with big character and good aplomb to carry it with nonchalance, but I would like to suggest to not wear it in the office or daytime, as there could easily be other persons like me who could get sick smelling it even on the distance.

Vickie8895
Vickie8895

This is a great fragrance! I just wish it was carried in more stores...I also like Parfum Sacre..but not Lady Caron...one complaint about Caron is I wish they would come out with some more newer fragrances....but they dont..only once in a blue moon...but I still like almost all of their fragrances even though they are from yester year a time gone by...but yes I agree with what alot of the people here say and that it is one knockout floriental fragrance....not like the floriental fragrances made today...it is more of a classy scent...

goodcupoftea
goodcupoftea

review is for Extrait - pure parfum - interesting mix of elegance and oriental notes - jasmin, narciss, vanilla. A bit spicy, incense, but nevertheless very european and very french. I LOVE all Caron perfumes, they are simply genious. One of their kind.

valenceis
valenceis

I have to say, I don't think Caron is my house.

I want to love this. I'm not one to dislike something on the grounds of it being too pefumey. But this one's message is a little garbled for me, I don't "get" it. I don't smell the orange and vanilla that people speak of, just a lot of HEAVY mimosa (which admittedly is just not "me" at all). I don't like mimosa because I feel like it lacks any complexity or movement and it doesn't really seem to like being on the skin. This is a mimosa-bomb, really. I don't get the feeling that Montaigne really appreciates being worn. But maybe that's just me. I don't get a clear olfactory picture from it. It evokes showering. In fact, in the shower I could probably enjoy the experience more where I can just smell it, it lingers a bit but is generally not present. I have gotten one compliment on it from a male coworker a couple of years ago and it surprised me. I literally said, "Really?" Maybe I'm missing something.

I plan to keep in in my collection with the hopes of an epiphany or maybe some day one of my girlfriends will discover mimosa is her magic bombshell flower and I'll give it to her.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Montaigne opens with a vintage vibe and initially smells a lot like Chanel No. 5. Then it quietens down and becomes sweeter with the berries and mimosa coming in. Not remarkable at all. Just a vintage smelling scent with nothing special to recommend it. I am quite disappointed. I was hoping for something truly amazing from the house of Caron.

suhaesa
suhaesa

to me this is heaven in a bottle ..amazing.. long lasting ..sensual..oriental.. floral.. it almost smells like walking in an arabian princess from the royal family of najd weddings ..the perfume has that strange mix ..that we have.. by layering some oriental perfumes.. and french.. its almost like sweet almond mixed with precious roses.. and ambers.. and has that "mukhalt" vibe to it ..mukhalat means a mix of 3 or 5 accords usually amber.. musk.. sandelwood.. rose.. and maybe woods ..and genneraly oud.. but not in montaigue..but a very refined mukhalat ..
its powdery ..a bit citrucy.. and definitely.. aromatic.. but not green.. its a classic.. with a twist..something takes me back to my mother land.. and to authentic.. natural ..bridal.. perfumery..that serene..warm.. almost enveloping sensation.. its like getting in to a cocoon..its a smokey.. deep.. myrthy resenious..benzoink..clean.. soapy mysterious..brown....unique..refined..elegant..true.. medely of accords ..all on it own ..in a class of it s own ..a seductive sensuale night perfume.. fit for a princess..

edp 100 ml
perfume ratting 4.67 out of 5
bottle ratting 4.4 out 5
my own personal liking ratting of the perfume4.4 out 5
bought from Harrods knightsbridge london

9-na
9-na

Was a present. When I wore it, for the first five ours or so this scent was loud and generally fruity on me, which was rather sad, because I wanted something else, something I wasn’t getting from it. But then a miracle took place, and the scent gave me exactly what I looked for, and was it for 10-15 hours. What was it, so miraculous? Jasmine. Mimose. Narcissus. And, closer to the end, – sandal that I liked and the kind of vanilla that I prefer, without sweetness in it.

vaiduakhu
vaiduakhu

Rarely do I agree with Victoria @ boisdejasmin about a fragrance but it's a rare case here. I understand that the consensus here about this scent is that it's deep, rich and complex oriental floral. I agree that it's a strong perfume but I disagree that it's a complicated one.
The main theme of this fragrance is brightness since start. This is done by a large dose of benzyl salycylate. It gives an atmosphere of bright & sunny day.
This scent starts off with juicy, sweet tangerine but quickly switches to bitter orange to tone down the sweetness. There are also some spicy, minty, medicinal notes. Later comes the narcissus which is very creamy. I love narcissus but in this scent, this note is too prominent thus making this fragrance one dimension. Narcissus plays strong for 1-2 hours and subsides, give place for a generic vanilla note melt with synthetic sandalwood show off.
Although the narcissus is very creamy, the whole composition is not really well-blended. The spicy notes are a little bit sharp and over the top; whereas the base notes are low key. I expected to smell a choral of orange, narcissus, sandalwood, vanilla and amber all at once but this never happens to me. This is a so-so scent imho.

Ms S
Ms S

I smell yellow flowers, spice and a backet of oranges. Sunny yellow , juice, sweetie oranges. Its a little of sunshine on a bottle. Just gorgeous! a pick me up essence for those horrible grey winter days.

trueblue19
trueblue19

This is a no-nonsense floriental to my nose. The opening is heady because of the jasmine but soon you get beautiful, beautiful yellow flowers in full bloom. This is heaven for people who have limited tolerance with white floral notes like me. My nose is especially good at picking mimosa and I totally enjoy it here in Montaigne, though it's modest and only comes at the last second if you take a sniff. I was a bit worried about the narcissus as I hate it in Narcisse Chloe. Thanks to the amber which makes a steady base for yellow flowers to flourish on, avoiding Montaigne to become a top-heavy floral scent. I'm surprised that rose is not listed here as I do get it. I think it's even more dominent than narcissus, which is rather vague. Amber is more distinct than sandalwood in the dry down and gosh it's so natural: warm, woodsy and almost a tiny bit salty. I don't get much fruit throughout though. I'm happy enough if this the only frag I can wear for this winter. The price for EDP is unbeatable. Thumb up, again, for glorious Caron.

Add: It doesn't smell very aldehydic on me but I get clear aldehydes when I sniff the bottle cap.

Fizzy
Fizzy

OMG! I love it!!!

And I love my decision not to hear to the comment of TS and LT (I heard more on other fragranticans here in this case). They have said, this scent is a confused woody floral, which is not. It is not woody, its floral fruity. No oriental for me.

The aldehydic opening of this beautiful cold scent (with cold I mean for summer and winter types women) reminds me really on Fleur de Rocailles and Organza. But there is not so much aldehydes, much more balmy fruitiness with jasmine. If marzipan would not have sugar in it, but mimosa, it would smell like this. After five minutes comes bitter orange and bit citrus, rounded with sweet mimosa. This stage holds for 30 minutes.
After 30 min the dry down comes, which reminds me strong on the pink marshmallows tinged with sugary vanilla, which is so present in Love by Kilian.
All in all, a rich, deep, sweet head turner for a day and evening with lovely fruity base.
I am really jumping around to found a new hidden gem.

Edit: After sniffing Cinema EdP YSL I have Montaigne for swap. Anyone interested?

soonflower
soonflower

I'm speechless.
Montaigne has all what I've been looking for in perfume.
It's complex, elegant, rich, deep, full of live and extremely feminine.
First few minutes are hard. On my skin it's quite bitter but I can detect that some sweet notes would like to talk. And they are...I really adore the story which Montaigne is trying to tell me.
Narcissus, jasmine and bitter orange are quite dominat for first hours but all of them together with amber, sandalwood and rich dark vanilla create an unbelievable perfume.
I'm in love.

Henriette
Henriette

Just too complex to be described, so I'll talk about the sensations it conveys.
The opening is rich with so many flowers, spices and agrumes that you may even get dizzy. Then little by little the various characters make a step behind in a quiet dance where the initial turmoil takes shape and order. Like a diamond with facets: first you are stunned with the beauty of the stone and then you admire the colours from the light cast on and reflected by the facets. And as you distinguish red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, indigo you also distinguish and love the rainbow of ingredients. Jasmine, tangerine, sandalwood, vanilla ... all to compose a magical simphony that you will enjoy in your most elegant moments.
I would not recommend this in an office unless you are sure your co-workers appreciate strong perfumed melodies.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

Oh my World! This is some extremely potent stuff and while I usually stay clear from rather heavy orientals, Montaigne surprised me and made me gagging for more :-)

I agree with the reviewers; it has to be applied sparingly, otherwise, we are risking to kill any wildlife and people within a mile radius, so to speak. It is extremely powerful juice best suited for special occasions, banquets or big wedding (evening) parties.

Orange, jasmine along with coriander and woody notes make this fragrance absolutely unforgettable. Perfect for cold weather with more than noticeable silage; it is is simply a head turner. Lasting power is outstanding; good 8 hours and counting :-)

If your heart beats to Samsara or Shalimar rhythm, you will most likely appreciate Montaigne.

I will only dare to mention that as an added bonus - Montaigne is more than affordable :-)

roseau
roseau

If Laurelin had a smell, it would be this. Lovely and magic fragrance reminding me of Silmarillon.
Montaigne is an intense fragrance, so spray it wisely; it is also long lasting and at times reminds me very much of the luxurious Sublime (Patou), but in a more cheerful way. Montaigne has notes of jasmine, bitter orange, mandarin, mimosa, blackcurrant, coriander, vanilla and that fabulous Mysore sandalwood which anchors many Guerlain masterpieces such as Samsara or Shalimar. There is a whiff of an exotic sharpness to Montaigne (probably due to the coriander in the top notes) which brightly plays around the edges but never blusters. Very wearable, after all, very luscious and exotic, very womanly, Montaigne is a modern day classic.

oliseeger
oliseeger

Even though it is a recent perfume (2007) it really reminds me of the old classics (that’s the reason that I liked it a lot!!!).
Sharp and edgy in the beginning, due the coriander, sliding to a wonderful warm and powdery mimosa. It reminds the Kappus Mimosa shower gel. After a short while, the sandalwood shows itself, in a wonderful drydown. Some people might say this is a winter scent (and it fits perfectly due the fact that it’s a sunny afternoon in a bottle) but it might be an excellent choice for a hot day too!
Great staying power and excellent sillage.
A masterpiece such as all Caron perfumes!!!

Caron Montaigne Eau de Parfum. Very grown up, very female, very sexy, very all good things I can think of. No sugarsweet flowernotes, just a little bit spicy and very longlasting. Great WOW-factor in this one, First 20 minutes this scent takes me back to the 80's with a bit of vintage oldfashion halfway-heavy partyscent, Then it goes into my skin and changes to something fantastic. Soft and tender and yet intensive and its here all around me. VERY LONGLASTING on my skin. Not a scent for teenagers but a scent for a sexy cat on the hunt - for a woman who loves to be noticed in a good way. Basenote givs soft sandalwood, vanilla and amber on my skin

Caron Montaigne Eau de Parum. Mycket vuxen, mycket kvinnlig, väldigt sexig och väldigt allting. Inga sockersöta blomnoter, aningens kryddig och väldigt långlivad. Wow-faktor i denna. De första 20 minuterna så tar denna doften mig tillbaka till 80-talets lite halvtunga partydofter, men sen går den in i huden och förändras till något underbart. Mjuk och varm men ändå intensiv och svävar runt mig. Otroligt långlivad på min hud. Ingen doft för tonåringar utan en doft för puman på jakt - för kvinnor som är vana vid att vara medelpunkten - på ett bra sätt. Basnoten ger sandelträ, vanilj och amber på min hud.

TillyWave
TillyWave

EDP Review
Just a few random things about this perfume. It smells completely different on paper than skin. On paper it orange/unlit orange insense stick all the way.

On skin though it is a beautiful yellow floral, with aldehydes and orange citrus on the top, and the abstract wood notes coming up as it wears down to the basenotes. Unfortunately I don't find this smokey at all.

It lasts a good while, with only a few sprays, and seems to have good sillage--you'll always know that you're wearing it. A great perfume for the price, too. It is an elegant, ladylike floral, and completely lacking sex appeal. That's good for me. Lots of perfumes out there try too hard to be sexy, or young.

Patti04
Patti04

For me this is a 'different' Caron perfume, it is 'modern' and lighter compare to the others, this is not a defect, many perfumes by Caron seem redundant. This is an elegant fragrance, on me it's not the right one because I don't feel to be such a sophisticated lady to wear it.

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

while i love lady caron, i dont care much about this one. i find it a little boring.
staying power is good.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I bought this very cheaply the other day and was very happy. It sits somewhere between L'Heure Bleue and Nuit de Noel with more vanilla sweetness. I will be wearing this one a lot in the winter, a real cosy and sensual beauty.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I wore this today and used a light hand, I think I could have gone a bit heavier. But, I had lightly lovely scent all day long! I did not notice transformations, I got narcissus, amber and the creaminess of vanilla pretty much the whole time. I got no smokiness at all, maybe that is a chemistry thing. No wood (alas). Glimpses of sweetness, but always countered and held in check.

Classy, elegant, beautiful, formal are all true and I would add perfectly-blended. I think this would be a wonderful signature scent, not so popular as to be overdone and always exquisite. This is not one of my OMG scents, it is an ahhh.... scent. (Unfortunately for some reason, my OMG scents usually last 5 minutes to an hour on me!)

Симба
Симба

I can not imagine how Montaigne can spray. One touch, one drop -that's when honey-golden sоuls of flowers bloom on the skin.
A huge plume and resistance from morning to evening
I love the retro- parfumes, and was surprised that in our time have created a masterpiece. Montaigne I have in a row of Organza, Poem, Cartier Panther, Amarig- flowing floral -golden honey.

icekat
icekat

What I like about this composition is its complexity, quality and how the scent unravels when interacting with my skin. On the other hand this is not an easy to wear composition for me as I do not have strong affection for vintage-style composition. And this one certainly smells vintage to me even though it was created in 2007. Those who love modern gentle fruity floral scents with a clean feeling of just-out-of-the-shower run away from this scent. But those, who appreciate complex and classy compositions, come close and give it a try, but not from the bottle, for this scent needs warmth of the skin to unveil its lovely composition. There is something about this scent that I find timeless and classy, like finding an elegant piece in an antique shop. It seems to be out of place in a modern chaotic world, and yet it is something that I am drawn to and want to take time to experience.

The initial blast to my nose is a bit strong with sharp loads of coriander, aldehydes and bitter orange. The jasmine note gives it a bit of indolic quality. Not my cup of tea. But then the scent goes through number of transformations on my skin, which is true with most of Caron scents I have tried so far. The coriander is still going strong but then the bouquet of narcissus and mimosa comes to light. The narcissus note is green and cool while mimosa is sweet and powdery. Nice counter-balance of two floral notes. As the time progresses the scent becomes softer and warmer. It seems to radiate from the skin in a pleasant and comforting way. The woody notes in the dry down are mixing well with the light vanilla mist.

Overall score is 7/10. Decent sillage and longevity. My sample is EDP concentration.

biniways
biniways

I tested this when buying Narcisse Noir - and while walking through one of the few German department stores to sell Caron could not decide which one to buy - it has a unique glow to it, which I find characterizes all Caron creations. There is simply nothing comparable on the market. They are a very classy and elegant and decidedly opulent understatement - if that makes sense... the timing of these perfumes is immaculate and they need the body's warmth to really project their intricacies (unlike other BIG perfumes or synthetic compositions). Montaigne from the first spray is edgy, Coriander, Jasmine - and Caron's favourite: Narcissus are a bit of a challenge, a steep assent - glorious, majestic but lacking a mediator leading up to the base....Sandalwood and Vanilla come in after only a few minutes and stay. Excellent lasting power and great sillage. However, in my opinion this fragrance's base is overly dominant with sweet vanilla overwriting the other accords after 10 mins and the heart is lacking, altogether .... I felt bereft, as if an ensemble had decided to leave out a movement from a symphony. But still, I consider this an ideal companion through the cold season, it is unique and certainly will entice all men and women of the mind, it is edgy and yet comforting and warm. Contradictory, androgynous in a very unrivalled way!

Udaria
Udaria

I started with the body creme and fell in love with the scent. Quickly, I ordered the Eau de Parfum (2007 issue). At first the nose gets hit with a blast of strong notes. Did I make a mistake ? At least, from the beginning there was a vintage feel, a typical Caron feel. Then, after a short hour, the middle notes came forward and the scent became more and more pleasant. Medium sillage, something green, almost like hay. Still, I was not pleased with my purchase, the body cream had smelled more like skin. Almost 2 hours later, finally, the soft base notes came out, vanilla, amber, and something like cedar (although not listed as such).
Very pretty. This perfume works best if sprayed ample under the clothes, before going out. Then it settles in, and when resprayed over the base notes later on, those get reinforced and the scent becomes soft and pretty.
You cannot go wrong with Caron. There is a classic feel to this scent, quality without question, just be patient and let it settle.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

This is a deep floral with a a marzipan note. It's very different from the modern, over the top sweet scents that are so prevalent these days. It's very distinctive, and while I can't say that I love it, power to all those who do.

calevacin
calevacin

This is a beautiful scent, classic and very well crafted, it's very far from the kind of scents launched in the market nowadays that too often are reminiscent of artificial sweeteners and air freshners. This one is about good old traditional perfumery. Narcissus really stands out and mimosa makes it round and creamy but never sweet. Beautiful combination.

PávelHenry
PávelHenry

The opnions about Montaigne are so different.
Smoky? No.
Woody? Maybe.
Flowery? For sure.

Jasmine, orange, woods, vanilla... I buy it thinking it could be a good choice to substitute my beloved Moschino Couture! and the rare Anné Pliska (rare at least here in Brazil), after all this is a Caron (almost a niche parfum), but no, it's just a redundant scent with a smell... yes, just a smell in a beauty flask.

No wonder it's sold by R$ 49,00 here in Brazil.
Maybe one day I'll give to it another try.

DriHonne
DriHonne

I saw this perfume on sale and decided to buy it unsniffed. After trying at first, I was overwhelmed by the scent. I thought to myself: Oh my God!!! What did I buy?!?! The coriander? Or the bitter orange?
First notes were very harsh, made me gag a little (maybe I applied with a heavy hand...) but after a while, 20 min maybe the harsh notes were gone and I got a nice flowery-woodsy smell. Then I learnt:
1-never ever apply Montaigne with a heavy hand;
2-apply it at least 1 hour before leaving home so you will not bother any sensitive nose that might be around you.
3-Allow the scent to settle in your skin.

Staying power over 8 hrs in my skin and very good sillage.

Then you can enjoy Montaigne.

Lailica
Lailica

Aproveitando as ofertas (mto barato - menos de R$50 30ml)comprei 2 vidros. Sinto As notas de cabeça são fortes - sinto um aroma doce de laranja e algo mais (talvez o coriander), mas dura pouco. Uma hora depois não sinto cheiro algum, nada mesmo, e mais tarde, bem próximo à pele, aquele amber delicioso, que poderia ser mais forte...Mas em mim não prevalece flor alguma.

qvalitet
qvalitet

IMO Montaigne is no big deal. Someone compared it to sun tan lotion - I absolutely agree. It's rather cheap smelling - in a nice way though.
I could wish for a shampoo to smell like this - but not a perfume.

The first time I applied Caron MONTAIGNE, I obviously overdid it—a common mistake that I make with the creations of this house. They are strong and can only be appreciated when sparingly applied. I also find that Caron perfumes are quite capricious, changing a great deal with humidity, temperature, mood, and who knows what else—to say nothing of reformulation! Happily, when all of the planets are correctly aligned, the liquid inside my bottle of MONTAIGNE turns out to be a quite nice perfume, which was something of a relief to find for someone concerned that the great philosopher of subjectivity should not be maligned. In fact, on reflection, it makes a lot of sense that this ambery oriental should be as mercurial as the self, changing constantly in the face of new events and experiences. Given that the self attends to various stimuli on a fairly arbitrary basis, dependent upon a variety of other mercurial and random factors, my reception of MONTAIGNE should, too, be prefigured by all of the same.

All in all, I can recommend this perfume to those who appreciate thick orientals. To my nose, MONTAIGNE seems to contain myrrh and/or leather, though neither is listed among the notes. Perhaps the narcissus is very concentrated and combined with the coriander produces this effect. Whatever the case may be, this is a great wintertime perfume—but also appealing on a temperate summer day, I recently learned. Exceptional longevity and medium sillage. As the final proof that this is a decent creation, Emperor Oliver aka “Diogenes” aka “Nanook of the North” aka “Orson Wells” aka “Oscar Wilde” aka “Howard Hughes” aka “Houdini” (my cat) likes MONTAIGNE a lot. Which also, come to think of it, makes a lot of sense!

smellsogood
smellsogood

This reminds me of Bitter orange drizzle cake. The sponge made with good quality butter, eggs and vanilla, dense and yummy. Then flavoured with a syrup of bitter Seville oranges, which prevents it from becoming sickly. Quite addictive and delicious.

candymarie
candymarie

Lady Love said it perfectly:

"It is woody and a bit smoky, sweet and dry at the same time."

The EDP is very balanced, smooth and refined. It's exactly what I'd hoped it would be.

I think naleiarenee must've sampled something else, couldn't possibly be this beauty, which seems the antithesis of aldehydic, there's nothing bitter to my nose, and maybe I'll give you the powder, but "old lady"? Nah, not a chance. I think some people confuse elegant with old-fashioned.

To me it would seem out of place on a teen or 20-something, because it oozes maturity, in the best possible meaning of that word.

olga1780

After falling in love with an earlier version of EDT, i finally got a large bottle of EDP! OMG, I adore this scent so much....it is so dark. mysterious and sexy. Sillage and lasting power are excellent: 5-6 hours at least. I am definitely going to explore Caron fragrances more.

I finally realized something...the drydown of Montagne smells very much like Jasmine Noir by Blvgari...but Caron quality is way better.

olga1780

I purchased a 1.7 oz EDT blindly, just for the hell of it. I was buying Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka and the seller combined the shipping for just $ 1, so i couldn't resist the steal.
Wow, one of my best blind purchases!
To my nose, it has absolutely nothing to do with Sublime, but this is a very rich, sophisticated fragrance: warm, dark, mysterious. Someone wearing this would be an epitome of a classy, highly refined lady. Must to be used with caution though...no more that 2-3 sprays. I have an EDT, and the sillage and lasting power are deadly!

I have been wearing it for a few hours already, and actually, the opening reminds me more of Opium flanker,Orchidee de Chine, which i love so much. But in a couple of hours it turns into something along the lines of Le Baisier du Dragon by Cartier.
I am sooooo head over heels with this fragrance. I can only imagine how gorgeous the EDP is going to be!

Lady Love
Lady Love

This reminds me of Sublime by Patou but less complex and more modern.

It is woody and a bit smoky, sweet and dry at the same time.

It's a classic perfume, that I find seductive and opulent, but I much prefer Sublime.

Francop
Francop

Fantastic winter scent; heavy and sweet but refined and warm.

This concert notes of jasmine, vanilla and sandalwood produce the greatest of symphonies for hours...

An absolute treasure for a scent lover...big thumbs up...!

Kterhark
Kterhark

(EDP Review)
My sample came by way of DoctorMod, who went above and beyond generosity to help me in my quest to try all Carons.

i was very excited to sample this, as it features one of my top five floral notes: narcissus. Now that I have it my one wish is that it weren't so heavy.

Yes I can smell the narcissus, but it is wearing like a perfume on me and not as an accessory. To my nose it needs more 'bubbles', or 'air' if you will. It sinks on my skin instead of soaring.

This is not a bad scent, however, just a heavy scent. I'd be curious to see what would happen if some green notes were brought in.

naleiarenee
naleiarenee

Sorry to all you Montaigne fans ,but I purchased this (untested)and to my horror tis awful !Too much aldehydes and bitter orange and powder .Strong and stale smelling to my nose,very "old lady'.

Delicious powdery bitter orange and aldehydes. Smells expensive, French and formal. Complex floral base, reminds of Nuit de Noel on my mother as she dressed to go out, elegant and beautiful. Dry down is ultimately very sweet almost like orange sweet tarts, but yummy still.

essija
essija

all I have to say is Beautiful!! I get spices out of this at first then very quickly turns to Jasmine and Rose. I think my mom would love this, it reminds me of Ciara...