Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

Narcisse Noir Caron for women

Narcisse Noir Caron for women
dislike

yellow floral

This poetic frangrance was created in honor of the consecration of the House of Caron. Its originality lies in the orange note added to the flowery, fruity base that includes rose, jasmine, musk, vetiver, and sandalwood, making it sweet and fresh.

Narcisse Noir by Caron is a floral fruity fragrance for women. Narcisse Noir was launched in 1911. The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Daltroff. Top notes are african orange flower and narcissus; middle notes are jasmine, orange and tincture of rose; base notes are vetyver, musk and sandalwood.

African Orange flower Narcissus

Blue Grass

Narcisse Noir Fragrance Reviews

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I've been wearing this every so often for a few weeks and it seems it's not love, for me.

But I'd love to try the vintage. There's lots to like about this reformulation - the pretty narcisse and orange blossom, but there's something about it that's a litttle too soapy for me, and its not a soap I like, sadly.

It's a soapiness I'd expect to find in a mediocre hotel sink - you know, one of those little bars of white soap wrapped in paper - the ones you wouldn't bother to steal as a souvenir!

Yet, for some reason it retains its pollen-like dusky orange/yellow warmth on clothes. On my skin it became soapy and clean after an hour, but some remained on the sleeve of a woolen jumper and it smells nicer, I can imagine its richer facets in original form

Could be skin chemistry too, but usually I suit orange blossom.

Think I'll seek the vintage at some stage..

rockegg
rockegg

I received a decant of the modern EDT and I adore it. When I put it on I felt like I was being hugged. After about a half hour it mellowed into an icy, calm, sophisticated scent that will be about me and not about "him."

Sandalwood and narcissus seem to combine into a different, recognizable flower: the nicotiana, or flower of the tobacco plant.

glorious1
glorious1

My Grandmother started me on my love of perfume! When I was a little girl she only wore Caron's Narcissus Noir and Nuit de Noel! My Gram always shared her perfume with me. I always got dabs behind my ears. She never ever used anything but the pure parfum! This scent is indredible.

elusivek
elusivek

I was able to get a sample of vintage. Upon first spray it was a choking cloud of powder and I thought it was going to be a loud dated powder monster but after about 30 minutes, the powder all but dissipated and what was left was an elegant mature classy white floral that's deep, not bright or shrieking, and was backed by a wonderfully warm (but not spicy)base. It is a beautiful timeless floral and it's a shame that it was reformulated beyond recognition because it was a work of perfume artistry.

scrabbleaims
scrabbleaims

I didn't get any of the notes listed and am wondering if it was the wrong sample. This was aweful, to the extreme! It smelt like industrial heavy... something! Ive never smelled anything like this ever. I prefer to wait out the myriad of notes to the drydown but it gave me an instant headache so I had to scrub, and scrub and finally used eye makeup remover an scrubbed some more! I applied a different scent but it has left an imprint on my brain!

I usually love Caron but wow, way off on this one. It must be the original NN. Definitely not for me.

YooHoo
YooHoo

Nice daffodil once you get past the opening. This is one of those scents that smells vastly different on your skin than it does in the bottle. I almost didn't try it on because it stank so bad in the bottle. Very animalistic in a bad way.
On my skin though, it was magic. Very floral and pretty. It dried down to a sweet nice animalistic scent that lasted most of the day. I put it on in the morning and could still smell it when i woke up the next day. Very nice day scent, but it stinks badly until it dries.
This is for the vintage EDC.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

This is absolutely INCREDIBLE guys!! I have never had such a visceral reaction to a fragrance before, by gawd, it’s incredible! Sweetness and SEX, incense and flowers, dark and lush and FERAL, joyful and devastatingly gorgeous, it really is DANGEROUSLY beautiful!

It’s almost candied in its sweetness, but not a modern chemical-candy-sweet. This is some kind of evil magic potion, maybe bees taste this kind of sweetness of flowers when they drink their nectar? The daffodils and jasmine are so lush and beautiful, like hundreds of diamonds shimmering and MELTING in the sun, and they are really heartbreaking against the animalic furriness that deeply purrs and purrs like a big wild cat... It's like flowers having sex! And as feral as it is, it smoothly maintains a fierce sort of supreme elegance! Incredible!

There is no pink pepper in sight — the spice comes from the beautiful soft incense, which is floating, buoyant, dazzling, beams of light shining through the smoke. This puts all other "Noir"s to shame. Narcisse Noir is IT -- THIS is carnal darkness!

UNBELIEVABLE!

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

My review will be very pale in comparison to others here, but I must add my comments, this is so spellbinding! I am new to Caron fragrances; I recently stumbled across a "vintage" bottle of NN in the EDT form, it was pre-owned but barely used. I'm confused about the labels on the bottles, there seem to be white ones or black ones, but this one is blue (a darker blue, not navy blue) with the outline of a woman wearing green sleeve cuffs and a green hat. I can't seem to find out when this particular label was used, and I don't know how "vintage" this is, as a result. If anyone could tell me which decade this particular label is from, I'd be so grateful. I wore it for the first time today, and it is like nothing else I've ever worn, ever. At first, since I know very little about this fragrance, I was afraid that it might not be a vintage because when I sprayed it on it was very light and sunny, all orange blossoms and sunshine, and I thought "oh, this will completely evaporate in about an hour". And then the diva came out, lol! After a few minutes I still got orange blossom but then a dark undertone of something very sensual came out to join the flowers...the best way I can describe it is sort of an estrogen fueled "Gloria Swanson brought me here, so watch out now; I'm a woman watch me toss my hair, shoulders back, bust out, wearing my tightest dress and highest heels" kind of smell and vibe! It was pretty loud for an EDT and as I drove to school I was thinking "oh no, I hope I don't make everyone in class sneeze"...After an hour or so, a very mysterious floral element awakened, something I'd never smelled before; it was so mysterious, in a dark, pristine, beautiful way. Then the incense came out, and seven hours after applying, I can still smell this around me but it isn't loud. It's not powdery and it's not old lady, but it is definitely for a seasoned lady, one who is coming into middle age; she has paid her dues and is embracing her personal power kind of scent. This hasn't faded at all, and it doesn't overpower. I think this intoxicating floral element is the narcissus? I've never smelled narcissus before. The incense that is conversing with it is a soft and slightly spicy incense, a delicate blend that you would burn in your home at your personal altar; it is definitely not the church knock-you-to-your-knees-and-repent kind of incense! This is something I'd wear on days where I want to somehow tap into the power of the Universe for an answer to a question or for help in clarifying something or determining a goal to achieve or a path to take, or for making a statement. This is absolutely beautiful. This is indeed old school, but it is not old fashioned or old/dated. They don't make anything like this anymore. And this is the eau de toilette! I can only imagine that the vintage perfume, in the bottle with the black narcissus cap, was a staggering beauty! I wish I knew which decade my bottle is from. I am so happy to have found this!

PS: I was just told that my bottle is around 15 years old, yay!

rubyred108
rubyred108

I've been very loyal to Patou fragrances for a very long time, but needing a change for the winter, I sampled "Narcisse Noir." Can't get enough of this haunting fragrance. No disecting here, I just LOVE it--plain and simple!
Update-- Doesn't have enough staying power...

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

This is for the EDT:

After reading lovingthealien's review I think I have the reformulated version.

It started out with a punch of very sharp and SUPER soapy Jasmine and I think orange blossom. There was a hint of incense but overall a very sharp white floral opening. Not pleasant, kinda generic.

After the warm up, the Narcissus/Daffodil stepped forward. The scent wasn't razor sharp anymore and became Lovely. It was still pretty soapy.

I never really got much of the musk, sandalwood, or vetiver. Maybe the barest hint of sandalwood.

Edit: I have really learned to love the heart of this, something about it reminds me of the heart/drydown of CoCo mademoiselle. That's a good thing. I think it's the balance of the Jasmine, Orange blossom and Rose that make them both sing.
The opening is still WAY too soapy for me. Some describe it as powdery but I don't get that.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

This is my opinion of the EDP. NN is CLASSIC: Survived the test of time in that they're still making it. People say that the original was dark and melancholy, so maybe the reformulation has been a positive change for me to enjoy it. SUNNY and BRIGHT: I mean look at all those Daffodils, Oranges, and White Flowers, and OPTIMISTIC: Daffodils tough it out over the winter to reward us in the Spring. I step into my own Monet Garden every April...It's really beautiful, with hundreds of Daffodils and Tulips, but until then I'll wear my NARCISSE NOIR as it makes me fell Happy and Positive and to remind me that Spring is just "around the corner".

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

I don't do indole. Don't know why I sampled this, oh yes, I remember, everyone said it was wonderful, and I thought "millions of perfumistas can't be wrong". Sorry. I get no narcissus from this, just a freshly visited cat litter box. For me, it couldn't get any more indolic. Nothing personal, just not my pot of porcelain.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

The back-and-forth here seems to be confusion resulting from reformulation and several different iterations of this beautiful classic. Indeed, Luca Turin is correct about this fragrance - the new version is a pretty orange blossom. There is a hint of the original in the heart, but it definitely misses the incense heft and animalic darkness that characterized the original.

The new one opens up with orange blossom and a bright, sunny sambac jasmine. The heart has a lovely rosey daffodil accord, and the drydown is sultry and musky. It smells sophisticated, but it doesn't feel totally realized. Something about it is a bit too simplistic.

The original fragrance is not nearly as simple. A huge opening in the form of a blast of gorgeous, smoky incense, really indolic jasmine, orange blossom, and a lovely green accord. The heart is indescribable. A slightly sour, but pleasantly so, woody floral unlike any I have smelled before or since. It's hard to say for sure what it is exactly that I'm smelling, but it's unbelievable. A big animalic accord is present, and the whole thing smells like fur, daffodils, jasmine, blood oranges, and incense. The "noir" is definitely present.

Ironically, the vintage version actually smells far more modern.

Scout
Scout

This is quite heavy while floral and citrus at the same time. On first spray, it reminds me EXACTLY of that enormous wall of scent that greets you when going into a head shop filled with incense. In fact the picture in my head of the woman who wears this is a gypsy fortune teller: Black clothes, big silk scarves, red lips, heavy perfume. The incensy vibe of sandalwood is here, with an enormous fruity floral projection. This is not today's fruity floral, this is old-school.

Elviel
Elviel

Fresh; bright; a soapy white musk, and narcissus all the way.

20 hours after application this is still singing its linear song - which is exactly what I wanted yesterday for a very long car drive; the delicious wafts of scent keeping me awake and with it.

A beautiful fragrance ideal for springtime walks in the park and long car journeys anytime.

In Autumn I find this a little bit too cold smelling and have found I like it layered with Clinnique Aromatics.

Eau de Toilette, old style bottle, opened approximately 2011

faire-cattleya
faire-cattleya

Many years ago, a dear friend from college used this perfum. It's aroma was divine. Everyone complimented her and asked her the name of the fragrance she wore. Then I made a big mistake... I wanted to copy her, so I bought a bottle. I tried it on and... it smelled very different on myself. To be honest, it was not an aroma, it was a hideous stench, similar to paint thinner. It was so intense that it triggered a terrible migraine.
Simply, my chemistry was not suitable for this wonderful perfume.
I decided to give it to my friend, who was very happy to have it. As soon as she had the bottle of Narcisse Noir, she opened it and put it on and viola!!!, there it was, the incomparable and lovely fragrance that everyone loved everytime she wore it.
Simply, it's not for everyone and sadly, it was not meant for me...

karakol
karakol

I received my first bottle of Narcisse Noir as a gift from my grandmother at age 14. I fell in love with this perfume! I used it for special occassions (dinners, dates, dances, etc). I used it for over 30 years until I could not find it anymore. A few years ago I found it online and ordered one bottle. Even though it is the same perfume, it does not last as long as the perfume back then in the 1960's and 1970's. I love the orange and sandalwood notes. It goes great with my chemistry.
I wish the company would market it in the original bottle with the black flower top and the black and gold box.
This perfume last a long time.

PerfumeFerret
PerfumeFerret

When I was in my early 20s I found a 20s/30s presentation bottle still unopened in a thrift store for $7. It still had it's wax seal and gold charm thing.
It was a black crystal bottle. I opened it, and it was heavenly! It was perfect for dinner and dancing. It lasted me over a year. It was a romantic and feminine perfume, perfect with evening out clothes! I have so many good memories of Narcisse Noir. I still have the bottle and box tucked away in a drawer.

Carnation
Carnation

i could not find anything typically associated with 'noir" in this perfume. It is sweet, like honeysuckle sweet, which is not on my list of favorite floral notes. In fact it smells exactly like White Shoulders EDT.
While this is my least favorite of the Caron's I have worn, if anyone is a fan of sweet florals, they may want to give this a try.

hbomb9410
hbomb9410

Not to disrespect a classic, but to me, this smells exactly like Aussie Mega hairspray. I'm not sure which note or combination of notes is the culprit, but this Caron is not for me.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Is there any difference between the white box Narcisse versus the purple box version? What is the date of the purple box?

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

I bought this without sampling it first.

It was advertised as "French" - and a friend of mine had just announced his engagement to a "French" girl, so I was just curious to find out what "French" was all about.

This is very intrusive, dark, and almost oppressively heavy fragrance. This would definitely be a perfume to use sparingly. It just barely made the "cut" of whether to send it back to the company. I never really loved it, but didn't dislike it so much that I sent it back.

It has merit.
I didn't like this with my chemistry, and I know that this would be great on other women, and possibly even men. (It is so heavy and dark that it could easily be uni-sex with the right man wearing it).

farang
farang

This review is for the vintage EDT and perfume.

It is my favourite 'old' fragrance of all I have tested; Caron, Chanel, Guerlain.
It has a mystical, perhaps noir, combination of florals - probably tuberose, jasmine, orange blossoms, and others - and a heavy dose of civet. Perhaps a little bit of powder, but not too much.

Since it is not sweet, and not much powdery.... thus it suits a man well. Especially on a hot tropical evening when the crickets are 'singing'....

funnyboy
funnyboy

I tried this as a male for the first time today.I have the edt version,not sure how old but picked it up at a reasonable price.
A very strange fragrance ,nothing like it in my collection although I do get the carn "vibe" and I either love or hate some of their fragrances on my skin,especially the ones containing lavender,say no more.
At first it was hard to detect anything from Narcisse Noir.Then I got a blast of greeness,after a couple of hours the jasmine was very prominent,which I do not object to as there are many exotic fragrances for men with a predominance of this flower.It then softened into a mellow powdery accord not unlike caron's own Royal Bain.I am now sitting here 10 hours later and have sandalwood still present.
To me this is true quality perfumery and the test is the lasting quality and the changing of notes.
Yes a man could wear this comfortably but I will have to be in the mood to wear it again.I would be interesed to hear any other men who have tried it and I really feel that it is a rare masterpiece.
marks out of 10, wearability = 6.Lasting power =10.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Narcisse Noir is the smell of a small liberation.

It is the ecstatic unfurling of a muscle too long held in tension, the stretching out of long limbs too long constrained and now allowed at last to be lucid.

It is a perfume of performance not entirely suitable for rehearsals.

Opening with an entire corps de ballet of daffodils and orange blossoms this production has ambition from the start.

These first performers quickly cede centre stage to new stars: a robust if not downright rotund orange with its two partners a somewhat jagged and playful jasmine and a decidedly medicinal tincture of rose.

The narcissi never leave the scene though, and can be called upon at any point to lend force to every heavily choreographed and highly sexed set piece.

Our third act finds us in expansive territory, an imagined landscape of the Russian Steppes as they once were: wild grasses with antelope and feral cats here and there.

It is an animal world, the only trace of men the incense of unseen churches of the old religion.

Against this endless wilderness our drama plays out towards an enigmatic ending that hints at the eternal.

Narcisse Noir is by turns a joyous evocation of youth, an erotic dance of courtship and a meditation on the meaning of the final curtain.

It is classical ballet made scent.

Like all great dance it calls on dancers of every sex.

*************

I was fortunate enough to sample the current extrait and an older eau de toilette formulation in a white spotted box and the traditional Caron flacon.

However, though lighter I find the current toilette to be a perfectly sensuous scent, much derided for no good reason.

Rumours abound that the eau de toilette is to be entirely discontinued if this has not indeed already happened.

antfarm
antfarm

This smelled fantastic in the tester--like a sweet melange of orange blossoms and delicious ripe fruit trees in an orchard. The moment it hit my skin it turned dusty, musty, and like medicated foot powder floating in a vat of cherry coke. Just wrong on me.

TillyWave
TillyWave

This is a strange perfume indeed. It is not complex, but it is haunting in its 3 tier structure of orange/orange blossom, incense-narcissus, then a woody smoky floral drydown. The florals have this surreal ripeness to them, as if they are slightly wilted, releasing their essential oils, and are about to go 'off.'
It reminds me of flowers smelled in a graveyard at dark, in early spring, when there might be woodsmoke in the air but the day had been one of the first over freezing. It is moody and seems a bit offkilter.
I LOOVEEE incense, and the incense here is fabulous & longlasting & sure to please anyone who enjoys that note.
That said, I wish it was darker and more intense (I'm sure its original formulations were) but it's still heads above what passes for perfume nowadays.
I don't know exactily when I'll wear this, but it is not loud, and it lasts around 4-6 hours with moderate application.
(EDT review, new bottle in dark speckeled box.)

Axum
Axum

I have only smelled the vintage version of this. It's intensely floral, dark, purple, and alive. It's not easy, or versatile: Narcisse Noir is for form-fitting velvet and satin in deep, sensuous colours.

Vintage Narcisse Noir is incredibly full and rich. With IFRA regulations, the current formulation must be considerably thinner...and with all the additional IFRA restrictions coming this year, it won't improve. So if you smell and like the current version, do try and find yourself a sample of the old stuff. It will be worth it.

Kiku
Kiku

Look up the word "heady" in the dictionary, there should be a picture of Narcisse Noir there. The only thing I smell in this is narcissus and it explodes with it. However, this is not a loud perfume. It is subtle, sensuous, and whispers, "class". Not that Narcisse Noir is for the demure. It fairly shouts, "here's a woman!". You will not be ignored. Wear at your own risk.

movs
movs

In the last few years I’ve become more and more attracted to the old masterpieces and now the time has come to explore the house of Caron beginning with Narcisse Noir.

First you have to get through a thick layer of powder, as NN opens in a dusty powdery and almost earthy way. In fact the opening reminds me of L’Heure Bleu from Guerlain. I’m not exactly crazy about this opening. What I absolutely love about this perfume is the heart and the dry down.
NN has a beautiful floral heart, spiced with orange. Personally I detect more orangeblossom than narcissus. It is also in this stage the sandalwood starts to shine through. I think it’s the blend of sandalwood and orange that somehow gives me the impression that there is incense in it as well. It certainly is a deep and dark scent. The perfume dries down to a soft, delicate and almost creamy sandelwood scent. The longevity of the EDT is good and the sillage about average.

To me NN has a distinctive vintage vibe - you can clearly smell that this is from another era. Unfortunately I have never smelled the real vintage perfume, but I love the new EDT so much that I’m pretty sure the old forumula must have been heaven on earth.
A masterpiece!

In 3 terms: DEEP – ORANGE BLOSSOM - SANDALWOOD

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

It is always so interesting to read reviews here, some are lovers, some are haters....and between a vintage or new reformulation...it all makes me so curious!
*** I am not exactly what my sample is but I assume it is new from Aus Leiben Zum Duft. I have tried it 4 times so far...and to me it develops quite lovely. I do not typically like very "pretty florals" the ones that seem "safe, or typical" This is what I would definatly classify as a pretty floral....but it has a darker side. Very few feminine scents cause a reaction for me to want to tear away my clothes, and climb the walls and swing from the chandeliers... one of those is Dior Pure Poison, Keiko Mecheri ISles Fontanes and this would be the other one.
I sprayed it upon my neck and on my left inner wrist for testing. Of course the heavy working wrist faded within a few hours, however the toilette under my chin still wavers and teeses me with it's unusual and delicate dark and floral scents. Personally for me, this wins over Carnal Fower by Frederic Malle...which falls to the cheap side after a fair 45 minutes. This is a must for my Boudoir!!!!
The perfume also has such a classyness to it....very French and unique. If you can get your hands on a bottle I do not think you will be dissapointed. I am very interested in the Pure Parfume in the vintage flacon... I wonder how different that would be?

Stargazing
Stargazing

I have smelled the original and the new formulation and I cannot understand why Caron would want to dumb down such a unique scent. The new one's pretty enough, but in no way unique. The original is amazing: rich, dark, musky, fascinating. I keep sniffing my wrist when I wear it, from the first bold orangey-spicy-civet blast to the last smoky-incense wisps. Don't waste your time with the reformulation; if you want to find out what all the fuss is about, get the original.

daniela3
daniela3

I do not like this fragrance: I LOVE it! I'm not sure but the bottle I've got, although not a proper vintage, should be oldish and perhaps I'm describing a frag no more (what a big pity!) available ......
Intoxicating opening, nothing to do with soft, dully, clean nowadays 'smelling something' but a proper fragrance! A thick, dense, brownish liquid therefore dangerously staining. 'Dark' of course in a really charming way, magnificent sillage: rich, generous, a little bit 'redundant' (in the most positive, old fashioned meaning) a rich repertoire - where a magnificent narcissus is the real landlord - no more possible to obtain nowadays due to the clear intention to kill perfumery (both niche or 'commercial') in the name of a sort of 'politically (un)correct idiocy' with the pretext of keeping attention to the health of people....when we normally breath rubbish everyday instead of clean air!
A perfume thought for a diva (Gloria Swanson) to arise the 'diva' sleeping inside everybody (no matter male or female one).
Very persistent also.
Great in every aspects!

p.s. An old version, I happened to try something from the '30es was to dye for!

Симба
Симба

My Narcisse Noir smell of сhapra-grape (refuse wine) in the barrel of the sandal. Beautiful retro, but it's not black narcissus,it's purple grape Isabella.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is such an astonishing fragrance. I have the EDT concentration, and I have to say, I don't feel it isn't worthwhile at all.
This is the Black Swan on stage at the Kirov ballet at the turn of the twentieth century. Pollen rich narcissus, soft rose and lots of vetiver, in a slightly powdery but heady floral blend. It is slightly soapy and stays closer to the skin than I would have imagined. This is like magic in a bottle.

emily7
emily7

Smelling it from the bottle nozzle, one gets completely wrong impression; flat, outdated, predictable and cheap. Once applied on the skin, shows its true nature; honey-sweet yellow pollen (narcissus) sprinkled over the white flowers (orange blossom, jasmine). Result: flowery, but dark, nocturnal, clearly indoor atmosphere of yellow honey and indolic white flowers. Smells mature, eccentric and unordinary - like wearing all black, elegant clothes in a beautiful sunny, spring day. The sun is shining, still you choose to ignore it.
Another impression comes from the middle notes which instantly reminded me of my beloved powerful retro-"stinker" YSL Kouros - my boyfriend's signature scent - so I ask - why wouldn't I be Mrs. Kouros?
I imagine that the original formulation/parfum was by far more magical, still this is not bad at all for reformulated EDT. Decent lasting power, medium projection. Drydown reveals some weaknesses - the mystery fades; indolic darkness turns to dry, woody (vetiver?), soapy, more conformist notes... Nevetheless, for me it's beautiful and quite unique narcissus-interpretation.

dlane1953
dlane1953

Just sampled the EDT and from the first spray, I'm intrigued. The notes sound deceptively straight-forward, but sweet and fruity is not the sensation I am getting. There is some darker note or undertone that's apparant from the start, and I can't put my finger on it. What did they DO to these sweet/fruity notes to get this effect? This is a fragrance for "big girls", not a teen.

The drydown is a nice musky-woody tone, although I wish it were more intense. I'm sure the original was a knock-out, I'll be busy searching out vintage in the near future--if I can afford it I mean!

Troodos
Troodos

My partner took me on a lovely valentines day trip to the caron boutique in Paris to buy me this after I had read in an anais nin novel that she wore it (she had been told by a lover that she was too sexy for the mitsouko she had been wearing and to only wear her Narcisse). The whole experience of buying this in the lovely boutique makes it extra special but I also love it. I find caron fragrances have a hint to them that is hard to wear sometimes and can feel a little stale to me but Narcisse is the softest and sweetest I have tried (apart from aimez moi). I don't doubt it was mire amazing in the old days but it's still very lovely now.

Scarlette
Scarlette

This smells like a lighter, more refined version of Red Door to me. Nice, but not my style.

biniways
biniways

unbelievably beautiful on my skin. I never liked neroli - until I bought this. A very classy, dreamy, sophisticated and yet warm-hearted fragrance. I think it is somehow very bridal, it just has that shine to it. It definitely is not evil - there is lots of character (as opposed to the generic synthetics mostly smelling flat or fake and costing too much money)this one is beyond beautiful - its a revelation!

saritarose
saritarose

It's been so long I scarce remember what it smells like! Only that my brother claimed that I smelled worse when I came out of the bath than when I went in it. I am curious what I would think of it today.

seashellbikini
seashellbikini

So something happened with my decant of Narcisse Noir parfum--either my skin, my nose, or my decant is defective. I kept waiting for the big orange and jasmine, the rose, the musk. Right at the start for about 20 minutes I got some orange blossom and narcissus, then, soap. Expensive soap, to be sure, but soap none the less. I get a similar thing happening with Mitsouko EDP. I don't know whether my nose just isn't sophisticated enough to pick up the nuance or whether there's something about my chemistry that doesn't like these classic scents. I can't say I dislike them, because I can't really smell them.

arianperfume
arianperfume

I really do not like this perfume, I had EDT, bought from Harrods London 3 years ago, so it is not a dupe.....
Now, I always loved classics and vintages even if I don't wear them in public that often:)) but this one was really bad. I will try to sample the parfum version because the present one smells like bathroom desinfectants, such a pitty, I was expecting so much from this fragrance, all the great stories behind it..

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

So I've tried it and read the reviews. I don't get evil from this (when did orange become evil??)

I found it quite refreshing and light scent. I do not get "Noir" from this at all. Being a Caron its got its signature "caron-ness" but I don't find this particularly heavy. Musk on me seems to be one of the notes that can disappear first, so that could be why. Its also one of the notes I smelled first from this. Even now, hours later (8 or so) I can smell it but its so far in thee back ground its not even funny.

I get some grass/newly chopped hay smells with the vetyver, and I love the mix of Jasmine and rose with the narcissis. It smells light and airy, almost dewy and moist. In keeping with the theme of freshness, there's also that lovely orange...yum....

I have to say that there are other Carons that are way darker feeling than this.

semj
semj

I am not sure what happens to some of these perfumes that contain jasmine. This has the same effect as Guerlain Jardins' d Bagatelle. It nauseates me. I whish I could like it but on my skin the jasmine drenches every thing.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is a very nice scent, and I feel that Tania Sanchez' slating of the reformulation is somewhat of an over reaction. This easily compares to any of the other niche frags that I've tried lately ie; Goutal, et al. It is a golden/white floral with a sexy animalic base, which makes it a bit different from the average white floral. Ok, so it's not strange or disturbing but it is sexy and pretty. There's no point in comparing it to what it was. It's a different perfume but a really nice one in its own right.

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

Narcisse Noir is not for the faint of heart. It's an incredibly rich, deeply orange fragrance. I'll go so far as to say that it smells like freshly shaved orange rind that becomes musky after a couple of hours. The longevity is great. Crank the black velvet out and start casting spells - it certainly embodies black magic!

lara0905
lara0905

If someone were to ask me: what is the world most gothic perfume I would say: Caron Narcisse Noir!:)
When I took a sniff I just closed my eyes. I saw the dark church in a stormy night, a woman in heavy velvet dress praying at candlelight...white skin..red lips..humid air..gloomy mood..

Caron Narcisse Noir is an interesting experience for me, I wear this perfum very rarely. I don't have to say it's depents on my mood.I had to be very open minded when I tried it the first time, but I saw the deeply hidden beauty in this scent. The fragrance perfectly catch the mood of the dark,medieval, barbarian feeling.

maggiesmeow
maggiesmeow

I'm sorry. This is the scent of evil. It's something munch's vampyr women would wear. *shudder.

Mimmi
Mimmi

To my nose the new Narcisse Noir doesn't smells like the old. So I chased down a bottle of the vintage formulation EdP. Have to handle this with care, its really potent stuff. The moss in this is really moist and out of a dark emerald forest, a perfect partner to the sweet yellow flower. Warm jasmine, juicy orange and woody vetiver give nuances. Its one of a kind scent, a bottle full of poetry about the magic of nature. Nature as in enchanted forests where miracles happen, as opposed to well groomed gardens. EdP: very good lastingpower, medium sillage.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Narcisse Noir eau de toilette is a Powdery-orange scent. Very linear.
The eau de toilette is more fruity than the parfum, which has a richer sandalwood base.

I have the current version of Narcisse Noir as well as some that was made 40 years ago, and I can state with certainty that the rumors of the deaths of the classic Caron perfumes have been greatly exaggerated.

(Current Parfum review)

Earlier this year I sprung for the true vintage, pre-formulated parfum. Honestly, there isn't much out there that is more beautiful than the original Narcisse Noir.

But it can't be found, so I was curious how the modern parfum compared. Here's what happened (figuratively):

Caron went out and removed the statue of David from public viewing. They re-chiseled it and put it back but instead of hiring a master chiseler they chose someone less adept. At some point the tool slipped from his hands and lopped off that famous appendage.

The chiseler went on to give David a puny chest, undefined arms and a fleshy abdomen. He ran out of material in the head region and made up for it by giving a receding hairline.

Thanks Caron, the cost cutting and handling of this inimitable treasure must have made sense to someone.

Incognito
Incognito

I just opened a bottle of Narcisse Noir EDT, purchased online. I've bought it previously from other online sources, and before it was available that way I even sprang for some at Harrods, twice, All my former purchases smelled like the original that I've worn for years, but this latest one is a disappointment. Even after dry-down, something major is missing, and I agree with other commenters that it is probably the sandalwood. I've decided to move on and find a new signature fragrance. Who knows? Maybe it was time for a change. But for the moment, I'm sad.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

This perfume starts off very sweet, and like it's name, narcissus. It remains sweet, smelling of eau de orange blossom and Indian spices. Too sweet for me and not quite complex enough for my fancy. I can see this fragrance working really well on a young woman in her twenties or thirties who enjoys the indie scene.

guest_Vivi
guest_Vivi

I have loved this fragrance (the Perfume) for over 40 years when my grandfather in Japan sent a bottle to my mother. She would hardly ever use it, saving it for special occasions. The first time I went to Paris in 1985, I located The House of Caron, a very enchanting shop. Well, I bought mom and I an ounce, still she saved hers for special occasions. I loved this fragrance and buy it whenever I can. It is truly vintage, it has a divine musk, earthy, a very light floral scent. A little goes a long way and last all day.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

The sample that I have must be the newest reformulation of the EdT because I didn’t find anything in it that would justify the name. I tried it three times with the same results. At first it reminds me of cheap Indian incense sticks, and then it dries down into a nondescript floral that does not smell like narcissus, orange blossom, jasmine, or any of the other things that are supposed to be in there. It’s just flat. At the end it fades into a slightly woody floral note, completely unremarkable. Maybe I got a bad sample, or maybe the newest reformulation has completely ruined what used to be a good fragrance. I don’t know. All I know is that this one is going to perfume purgatory.

Kterhark

(Vintage Parfum review, previous review pulled)

Matt Kramer, in 'Making sense of wine', said "Great wines taste like they come from somewhere. Lesser wines taste interchangeable; they could come from anywhere."

This parfum comes from somewhere: Caron, and that will be obvious when you line it up to other orange fragrances and smell the difference. I've worn my sample about 8 times now, developed a taste for it and will be keeping it in my collection.

This is a darker floral, and in parfum form is deep, smooth, luscious and rich.
To date I'd say it is one of the best orange compositions I've tried. The orange is slighty oily with a touch of incense, and does not tip into the sharp, citrus territory. The narcissus is fresh and dewy.

A great fragrance for those who like their wines with a little dust on the bottle.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

A member sampled me a reformulated EDT of this. And I like it!

Two thoughts on Narcisse Noir:

1. I am almost positive that my grandmother wore this. I don't remember smelling it on her, per se (although it is familiar to me once it's applied). What I DO remember is: she used to have several teensy weensy miniatures of brandy-coloured perfumes on her vanity. I'd sneak in there, lift the stoppers off the bottles, and sniff away. This scent brought me back to her bedroom instantly.

2. Ivory laundry detergent (which I LOVE!) comes to mind after it has dried down a bit.

deannagraham
deannagraham

This has always had a dry down of honey for me, in both an ancient original bottle and in a new decant. Absolutely top of the list as a favorite, although both Sacre and Poivre are close competitors and distinctly dfferent.

My bottle of Caron's NARCISSE NOIR is clearly the reformulation--I just bought it at parfum1.com (plus my cat, a fully certified civet detector, has not been following me around...). But I go against the grain in liking the reformulation, what to me is a deep, dark, somewhat intense perfume that I can really sink my nose into.

The opening feels like singed flowers--I am assuming that this is the effect of the neroli on the narcissus ('neroli' contains 'noir', after all...). From there, NARCISSE NOIR seems to me like a chypre, not a "sweet and fresh" floral fruity perfume!

In fact, there is no point in my experience of NARCISSE NOIR where I can agree with the aptness of either adjective. Neither fresh, nor sweet, NN is dark and deep. The orange comes in the form of dried, not candied, peel and imparts more of an oriental than a citrus quality.

The singed flowers mingle with vetiver, thick musk, and a touch of sandalwood in the drydown, with excellent longevity in the edt--a good thing, unless one happened to be hoping for something, sweet, fresh, and fruity, as opposed to musky singed velvety flowers.

Mals86
Mals86

I think the sample I have must be reformulated, because it's the most linear, insipid, pale little nothing of a scent. It smells like green tea and lemons, soap and orange blossom. Where's the d**n narcissus? I wanted narcissus, with all its hay-in-the-sunshine, dusty-sweet-cat-fur qualities. I am so disappointed.

Hermesfan
Hermesfan

I don't understand the concept of this reformulation. The only impression I have had is a woman emerging from the ancient times (let's say the 17th or 18th century) suffering incontinence and not liking to have shower on frequent basis. Sorry but this one I wouldn't wear even if I was paid for it. I have never had a chance to try the original version but the reformulation is awful and disastrous. God save us.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i tried the vintage narcisse noir without expectation since i had never seen the notes. even without expectation, i was a little shocked because it smelled like grape faygo on my wrist. it definitely doesnt feel classic or dated. victorias secret could sell it in all seriousness.

Moyra
Moyra

In hopes of this potion being as dark and magical as described, I recently (April 2009)bought a very affordably priced bottle.
Bad news: It has been reformulated.
The "New" Narcisse Noir is nothing like the wonderful descriptions given here and in other places that praise it to the heavens, its really REALLY vile Jasmine Soap. No dimension whatsoever, nothing else but essence of cheap, artificially perfumed soap.
I gave it away as quickly as I could to someone who lives in another part of the country.
But I would so love to find a bottle of the original, and am very grateful to Karena for the description of the original bottle.

karena
karena

I am wearing a vintage-so called "original" Narcisse Noir edt...Flat bottle black cap -abstract square figure on bottle, Box is black flat similar motif. I just got it.
I last smelled this scent nearly 30 years ago. TS description("Perfumes the guide") of the old fragrance is spot on.
It had an amazing sense of an age-1920's to 30's swank.
I don't know how old this bottle is -for sure,no 30 years ..at very first a nose clearing blast -let it settle-The scent fades quickly..maybe a ghost of the old NN is in there. God- I would give my eye teeth for a 30 year old sealed bottle!

Malegria
Malegria

What can be written about this classic scent?I heard so many opinions on it - some find it stinky, some find it beautiful, but there is one memory of it in common - it is difficult to forget. As many old perfumes, it starts sharp and strong, with overwhelming citrus note, and it takes quite a while before you can feel daffodil at all.When it finally comes to daffodil, it is worth waiting - the warm and feminine jasmine adds charm to this strict victorian old maid of a flower.I can feel rose, but in the very end, supported my vetiver, which adds a fresh spark to the composition.The base is not for cowards - civet scent makes it picante and - what some would call it - stinky.
My favorite of Narcisse Noir is the heart - though the fragrance gives me headache.It`s a very old fashioned daffodil between the pages of an old book of Yeats.

Narcisse Noir by Caron 3.97 out of 5 based on 260 ratings and 66 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Caron Narcisse Noir fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Caron Narcisse Noir, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Narcisse Noir by Caron. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Narcisse Noir by Caron represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.