Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

Nuit de Noel Caron for women

Nuit de Noel Caron for women
dislike

yellow floral

Nuit de Noel by Caron is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Nuit de Noel was launched in 1922. The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Daltroff. Top notes are ylang-ylang, tincture of rose and jasmine; middle notes are sandalwood and oak moss; base notes are musk and amber.

Ylang-Ylang tincture of rose Jasmine

Sandalwood oak moss

Musk Amber

Nuit de Noel Fragrance Reviews

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I have been curious about this fragrance for some time, as I have the impression that it is one of the more "you either love it or leave it alone" types of fragrance. I just received a sample of the perfume (extrait) which was a pleasant surprise, as I had thought I was going to get an edt sample. I had no idea what to expect, and as soon as I put it on I just thought "you were made for me!" This one knocks me over with its luscious, dark and spicy beauty. I am going to have to purchase the extrait, when I save up the money, lol! This is a sample of the modern formula parfum extrait. I am not going to bother looking for a vintage, as they are way out of my price range. I love this but my only concern is that after four hours it completely disappears, on my skin. I would think that the parfum itself should be more potent and long lasting than that? Perhaps this is the curse of reformulation, then (either that or I have the skin chemistry of Godzilla, which is what I am beginning to suspect). I still want it, and plan to have it with me, always.. This has been a great perfume year for me! From January until now, I have been completely swept off of my feet by two beautiful classic perfumes, Guerlain's Jicky and now Caron's Nuit de Noel; both are passionate loves that I will take to my grave! Le Mouchoir de Monsieur, your review is magical!

glorious1
glorious1

My grandmother started me on this scent journey! She only wore Caron's Narcissus Noir and Nuit de Noel! I always got to wear some!

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

Ralph Ellison references it in his novel Invisible Man (1952): he calls it "Christmas Night" and uses it to evoke the pure desirability of a beautiful woman. It works perfectly on that level (as well as to set up a Christmas-sex metaphor he repeats later in the narrative); Nuit de Noel is beyond sultry and my absolute favorite right now. I just bought an ounce of the extrait at the Caron boutique in NYC during a rare sale, and I could not be happier. (It might be French Christmas, but it's not American Christmas. For that, I wear Bottega Veneta.)

N de N is such an amazing fragrance that it vaguely reminds me of my late beloved grandmother in Soir de Paris and I STILL feel downright seductive in it!

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

I did not get Christmas either from this scent. I got a soft spring day, not too warm, with a gentle breeze blowing through soft flowers. I put it up with l'air due temps and believe me i dont do that lightly as l'air is one of my most favourite scents! Gently and cuddly, wearable during the day and at night before a warm fire.

misslawbore
misslawbore

This is christmas plum pudding and a smoky coal fire in a bottle. So don't wear it on the beach or in summertime

Carnation
Carnation

I am not receiving anything remotely associated with Christmas concerning this version I have,which is an EDT.
Nuit de Noel is all about the oak moss and powder with perhaps a touch of floral sweetness from the jasmine. There is a bit of amber but it's subtle,hence the powdery veil that is present throughout. It seemed to turn skunk like on my skin. A bit of a let down.

houzi
houzi

This is a difficult one. One sniff and I immediately know I'm dealing with a great, historic perfume. It's dark, complex and intoxicating. I feel like I've been touring an obscure old castle with the aim of researching funerary customs of its former inhabitants. I'm passing through one dim chamber after another, searching for clues, then move on to examine gravestones of the small burial ground tucked away in a hidden yard.

I feel entranced by the decrepit beauty of this forgotten site, and also somewhat uneasy. After all, I get exactly what I came here for. The place is really fascinating but everything in it alludes to the passage of time, unfulfilled dreams, regret, grief and melancholy. It almost feels as if I stepped in the middle of a perpetual funeral, the smell of funeral wreaths and incense smoke wafting in the air, musty oakmoss and woods underscoring the mood of general gloom and sorrow. Definitely not perky and light-hearted, but really quite beautiful. Still, not something I imagine to be able to wear outside.

The initial oakmoss blast and the soapy-skanky concoction of (I'm guessing) ylang ylang and jasmine dominant in the beginning are quite something, but would seem absolutely jarring in the contemporary subtropical urban setting such as mine.

I'm also a little perturbed by the perfume's occasional departures from the mostly solemn and stately course to vague sexiness (good) to the depressing smell of an old and worn bathroom afflicted by some kind of plumbing problem (bad, needless to say). The Christmas Eve reference is pretty much lost on me too.

For me, Nuit de Noel is an honourable, but clearly challenging, perfume. I don't think I pull it off well, but I'm glad I could play around with my sample (current EdT).

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

There's a fuzzy nostalgia to this blend, that reminds me of the magical feeling of Christmas --- of a time in my life when some Christmas tales were, absolutely, undeniably real and palpably confusing and exciting, at the same time. I remember thinking, as a child, how glad I was that Santa was good and kind because he was also so powerful; he could enter my home, unseen and unheard, even after my parents locked the doors and windows. It was a thrilling mystery.

You could say this blend smells like those Swedish, Christmas soaps, with their spicy creaminess, caraway rye rings covered in sugared almonds, dried, old, Christmas ornaments heated by tree lights, mossy and crunchy greens, spicy, dried orange pomanders stuck with cloves and smoky air. But there's also an intangible and even unsettling air of mystery and night time shadow contrasted against wintery crispness, to the whole thing and it really does conjure up the experience of bundling up and taking a walk on a winter night.

It's also nostalgic in the general, sense of lost time it evokes, cultural confusion and awe in the face of the vast timelessness of our existence -- that time is real, in some sense but also given relevance by the way we measure it, not because of its nature. "Nuit de Noel" reminds us of the witching hours, after the clock strikes midnight, of the shadow weeks night-shift workers live in, the irrelevance of time in dreams and bending of it in fairy tales, how the conventions of the day world, sometimes break-down or get thrown through a loop, at night.

I think of watching old movies, late at night, when wearing this -- that groggy feeling of coziness -- and it feels like the most perfect, olfactory interpretation of "A Christmas Carol", I've tried; right down to the frosty magic, smokey skies, organic smells of Scrooge's childhood, hearth cooking and Christmas dinner and in particular, the 1938 film version, with Scrooge flying across a wintry night, with The Ghost of Christmas Past. "Nuit de Noel" is that ghost. A complex, timeless blend of holiday magic.

Elviel
Elviel

Nuit of Noel is the smokey whisper left hanging in the room from an open fire; Christmas oranges and brazil nuts heaped in cut glass bowls especially for the children; the dry sweetness of rose, jasmine, oris, sachets fragrancing the curtains; a languid tuberose waiting, expectant; the quiet hours before dawn; happiness and contentment.

Today as I tested my Nuit de Noel for review I was struck by a scent memory, but what was it? Then it came to me - Clinique Aromatics Elixir.

Not the same but with much in common. Nuit de Noel is a little more smokey and dries to a higher pitch with a slightly sweet fruit; Aromatics Elixir is denser, more wood and heavier on the rose.

Both absolutely delicious I am using mine with frugality, fearful of the latest reformulations of both.

Nuit de Noel eau de toilette circa 2010
Aromatics Elixir eau de parfum circa 2005

ranchorita
ranchorita

Have you heard the saying that when things go wrong at a wedding, the marriage will be a success? Nuit de Noel opened with a skeezey/skanky blast that took me by surprise and made me doubt I could like this fragrance-- for an instant I considered scrubbing it off. Rather quickly, though, the cacophony settled down into a perfume that is spicy and magical, and my wrist pretty much stayed glued to my nose for hours. Ultimately, the sandalwood, oakmoss and amber were center stage where they remained soundly ensconced for the entire duration. Longevity is good, and sillage seems about perfect.

I'm turned on by the fact that-- reformulations notwithstanding-- this fragrance was created in 1922. The libertine opening calls to mind jazz babies getting dolled up to go out on the town, rouging their knees and wearing a shocking amount of lipstick. The Second Act of this perfume comes in like an 80s power fragrance. There is a definite vintage effect, the air of a classic about NdN. After a brief, rocky beginning, this chameleon of a perfume is all aces for me and so far, this is my favorite from the house of Caron. At a relatively modest price point, I will soon acquire a full bottle, and I plan to always keep this in my fragrance wardrobe. I'm so glad I gave this one time to come into full bloom-- it's wonderful.

Soie
Soie

Nuit de Noel, Bal a Versailles and Bakir are all fragrance I purchased years ago, either at flea markets or closeout stores. Seems kind of strange to come across them now where the going prices can sometimes reach triple digits for these fragrances, some of which were considered outdated even 25 years ago, and at that time cost me under $10 to purchase....

elsie.oliveros
elsie.oliveros

This fragrance is magical. haunting, and it just elevates you to a higher realm. Thank goodness the new formula still captures the magic of the original one. Created by one of the great alchemist of essence: Ernest Daltroff. Please, please forget that its name is translated to the night before Christmas. It will make you think of pine trees, gingerbread, apple pie. But no, Daltroff was French, and lived in France in the early 1900's. He probably , IMO, was conveying the feeling of the smell of the beloved woman, during that time, in Paris, on such a magical night (Europeans feel that Christmas Eve is the magical time for the adults, Christmas day for the children).
To say it's scent is beyond exquisite is an understatement.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

WARNING! The GIANT OAKMOSS THAT ATE RHODE ISLAND is on the loose!!!!!
In all seriousness, Nuit de Noel is a mature delight. It is heavy on the oakmoss, but as I am especially fond of that accord, I do not fear the giant oakmoss, but instead embrace it.
I was quite fortunate to obtain a vintage partially-full bottle at a tag sale, for only 50 cents. (Apparently, the newer formulation is not hugely different, according to the reviews.)
It opens with a blast of ylang-ylang, then the oakmoss (with a woodsy touch) takes over. The drydown is a musky incense. I do detect hints of rose and jasmine, but they are not at all sweet. This fragrance is slightly bitter, actually, in a pleasant way.
Longevity is impressive, while the sillage is moderate. Initially the sillage is almost overpowering, but then it quiets down considerably.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

I have been wearing NdN for many years, and have it in every formulation except the most recent. This is perfume magic.

It is almost impossible to describe NdN with the usual pedestrian perfume terminology. Is it, for example, sexy? Well, I wouldn’t say it is not sexy, or unsexy. But, to call Nuit de Noel sexy is somewhat like describing Katherine Hepburn as sexy: of course she is, but that does nothing to evoke the essential Hepburn. Like Hepburn, Nuit de Noel is too smart, too complicated, too contradictory, too elusive, and too unique, to be merely sexy. Or sweet, or lovely.

Nuit de Noel is like any great artwork: it cannot be easily understood, appreciated, or dismissed. It is not for sniffing or sampling or testing. How does one sample great art? That would be like listening to outtakes of a great concerto, or looking at postcards of a great painting.

Here is a perfume that changes over time, changes with the seasons, changes with the weather, changes with your mood. Changes with you, as you age and change over the years. Always, it is deep and rich, always smoky and dark. But, it is, how can I describe this: like a contrapuntal movement in music, notes appear independently of each other, yet are paired, connected by tonal quality, but disconnected. Every once in a while, one voice is lifted above the chorus, ringing clear as a bell: Jasmine! Rose! Ylang ylang! And all the while, the deep tenor of the oakmoss can be felt beneath your feet: Boom! Boom! The amber is sweet, warm and resinous. With the sandalwood, clearly Mysore, the amber and oakmoss create a very solid, lasting and balanced drydown.

The original extrait in the old Baccarat bottles is the most powerful, and otherworldly. This juice is dark and oily, redolent of dark forests at night, inky with oakmoss, rich and earthy, lasting as long as two or three days, wearing closer over time. The EDT is a friendlier, easier, less distracting version of the extrait. This could be called lovely, and I enjoy wearing this one to work and to play, with a particularly sweet and narcotic ylang ylang. Warm, boozy, smoky, and, yes, sexy. Although this perfume cannot be all things to all people, it is everything to me.

antfarm
antfarm

One of the only Carons I've tried that doesn't play well with my skin. It smells like shreiky evergreens, oakmoss on steroids, and peanuts on me.

aveilhe
aveilhe

This review is for the parfum (from a decant). I'm afraid I may never be able to get my eager hands on the parfum in full bottle form. I haven't tried the EDT, but have heard it's quite weak in comparison. I am tempted to give it a try though...

So, the edp: this is an oakmoss bomb!! Beautiful, brown syrupy juice filled with feral oakmoss. But, it doesn't stop there: heady, sweet ylang ylang, boozy cognac, whisky, and spicey mulled wine...and powdery musk to knock your socks off. I have no idea how all of these disparate notes work together, but somehow they do, and it is magic.

Had I simply blind-sniffed this, my initial reaction would not have been "Christmas." Though I agree that (at least in edp form) this is best for chilly months, it actually strikes me as quite naughty...but in a louche, languid sort of way. I picture sipping a few old-fashioned highballs with a person of interest, followed by heavy petting in front of a fire...but I digress.

This is strangely addictive and soothing. It evokes that warm, tingly (and slightly tipsy) feeling you get inside when you've had a great meal, some great wine, and some robust conversation with friends.

I wish I could speak more to the notes and nuances, but I just find Nuit de Noel so evocative that I would rather speak in metaphors than try to overanalyze it. It's magic, potent, and one-of-a-kind.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Nuit de Noel is no Christmas as we know it. It is a strange, apprehending and unnerving fragrance that brings forth a variety of notes all slightly off key and not what they should be.

It is an unfloral-floral, a savoury Vanilla, a wintery Chypre a Western oriental. It is in fact a foreigner abroad, the perpetual expatriate.

It gathers around itself all the talismans of celebration and success: a little animalic, some rose, jasmine, oakmoss and leather.

But rather than a self confident Paris dressed woman at the height of Eurpoean chicery the effect is of a lonely glamourously tragic gin-soaked figure carving out an existence in place of living a life, somewhere far off and unhappy.

This is a precise and beautiful perfume, done great disservice by reviewers who perceive only its sweeter and more flowery notes. They are like the local diplomat who intentionally misses the melancholy in the eyes of his colleagues wife, just to save inconvenience.

Like many sad smells it is eminently wearable, during festive season, Spring or Fall and by female or male.

It has found itself a pride of place in my growing empire of fragrance.

9-na
9-na

A present, modern Nuit de Noel. It was nice and bitterish on me, with a bit of lily and a bit of musk, and closer to the end (2nd or 3rd day) the scent got a little wood in it.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Yes!Yes!Yes! This is love...I must agree with some here, this reminds me of an old-fashioned Christmas. An old world real fir Christmas tree decorated with handmade gingerbread men ornaments and candles for lights. A victorian Christmas.

This just reminds me of baking cookies, Christmas potpourri, smoky/incense, just delicious! Most likely what I will be wearing for Christmas day.
Happy Holidays!;)

jtd
jtd

There was a television commercial for make-up that aired when I was young. It tried to sell the viewer on the notion that nobody would even know you were wearing make-up! Not too bright, I took this to mean that make-up did nothing whatsoever. I thought if nobody notices, why wear it? To this day, I’ve never understood make-up.

Nuit de Noel strikes me similarly. It smells identifiably ‘perfumey’ yet on the level of perfume, it comes off as forcefully non-descript----intentionally under-recognizable. It is a soft chypre, soft like a seat-cushion filled with marshmallows. It doesn’t evolve over time so much as it fades into the skin. Once on the skin, though, it doesn’t disappear. It gives the impression of of something ostensibly hidden but easily found. It’s the person playing hide and seek who heads for the nearest tree, then hides behind it, peaking out often to see what’s happening.

Low wattage, low sillage, if you close your eyes, it might smell like either a tiny spritz of perfume or a whole lot of make-up. Great for a man if you’re willing to accept the implication.

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

I would have been terribly sad if I hadn't liked this, because I love the name, the bottle, and the fact that it's a scent from the 20s. To me, the opening was pleasant and old-fashioned but nothing special. It developed into a really nice smell of sandalwood and Jordan almonds. It's not at all overpowering, and it does seem like something you might wear to a party.

I suppose older perfumes are an acquired taste, and more people appreciate vintage styles in clothing than in scent. Nonetheless, I think a lot of people would enjoy this one if they gave it a chance.

TillyWave
TillyWave

This is a perfume that goes on with an explosion--big aldehydes, florals, woods, you name it. It quickly calms down then, smelling of ylang-ylang, sandalwood, and some vanilla. The base gets woodier, and muskier the longer you wear it. All the notes as they drydown have this powdery, blurry, almost ephemeral thing going on--yet Noel is not outright powdery. It lasts a good long while, 8+ hours, and you will be able to smell it all day, but it doesn't have incredible sillage that will choke people, especially after the top notes die out.

I mostly like this because of the way it makes me feel. I feel like I'm in an old house, built on the edge of town, with a lot of wood fixtures, and forbidding but enticing staircases, with resins and incense burning on tables but windows open to let in crisp autumnal air. There is stained glass giving everything a surreal color, and there is oil-painted pictures on the walls of the house. I'm wearing leather boots and a wool dress, and who I will find in this house, I do not know.

(This is for the EDT, new bottle.)

oona noir

Bond girl, I had a similar experience with Caron's Parfum Sacre. I can't tell you how lovely Sacre is- on my husband. Not me. On him, it's dead sexy. On me, it's weird grandma soap. I think that soap is what you get when a Caron rejects you.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Wow, I'm just more than a little confused as to where all these rave reviews come from. I am normally a big fan of anything deemed "old-fashioned" or "old era", so I wanted to try a Caron out of curiosity. I ended up buying nuit de noel on a blind buy based on these reviews. Note to self: always always test in the future! On my skin, it sat close to the skin, and end up smelling exactly like a lush bath bomb or a type of soap your granny would use. I did not get any of these heavenly notes that other people seemed to get. On the plus side, the fragrance did last well, although the sillage is very minimal. It is pleasant enough, I am just not blown away, and as for the night before xmas, I don't get that image at all, except that I would say it is a winter scent. Honestly, I like it in the sense that it is not what of these fruity, synthetic, sweet getups that are all too common these days. But I feel very misled by the abundance of glorious reviews on this scent. I will be more wary next time.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

The goth-est Christmas ever.

This stuff is the 1920s in a bottle. Not the real 1920s, mind you, but the overly-made-up-so-you-can-see-their-features-in-black-and-white-movies kind of 1920s. It smells antique, but not a familiar kind of antique - almost like a fictional depiction of the past, such as in Nosferatu. Instead of aldehydes and powder, you are treated to (or forced into) civet, ylang-ylang and the incredibly alien and luxurious mousse de saxe base. Though a bit beguiling in the top notes, it reveals a very somber, yet comforting, funerary bouquet. The aroma that follows, the "mousse de saxe" base, is truly the love-it-or-leave-it moment for this fragrance. I was immediately stunned by its complexity. There is a distinct chypre element present, but it's wrong. Instead of the forest floor, it reminds me more of a cabin in the forest. When you attempt to relate the name to the fragrance, it sort of comes together. This is the kind of Christmas one would find in Grimm's fairy tales - The warmth of the fire, fur blankets, and dried herbs are merely a part of the larger setting of the twisted, treacherous winter forest outside. Perhaps this is what Christmas felt like in Russia in the 1800s.

The vintage extrait literally takes my breath away, but even the very most modern version of the Eau de Toilette is a positively excellent and wearable fragrance. Vintage jewelery optional; depression mandatory.

dlane1953
dlane1953

A Caron masterpiece

I've been lusting after a vintage bottle of the EDC for some time now and today all my hopes/expectations for this classic have been met (and I might add, exceeded).

I'd have to call this a chypre floral since the florals are dry, not sweet like an oriental. The EDT is basically a warm, woody/spicy fragrance with a floral heart.

The first note was a sharp citrus accord, probably bergamot, which was quickly replaced by the floral notes. Not a whiff of aldehydes present to my nose. Warm, dry, and almost leathery in their undertones, these floral notes have a languid, dark undercurrent (seems as if that was a specialty of the house in their day!) A dark, spicy, smokey tone envelops the floral notes and turns what should be a sweet heart into an intriguing, complex blend that is absolutely seemless and breathtakingly beautiful. The oakmoss and sandalwood accords take the florals to a whole different level of complexity.

The incense-like spiciness continue into the drydown, which is amberous, musky and really luscious. Not a casual fragrance; this demands respect. What a masterful combination of notes. Sillage strong, longevity very good, about 9 hours on me.

le mouchoir de monsieur
le mouchoir de monsieur

How heart warming it is to consider that in 1922 Ernest Daltroff called his latest creation "the Night of Christmas," or, as it is said in English, Christmas Eve. The hush that spreads over Paris on December 24th is something one should make a point of witnessing at least once. A certain inference we can make, those of us who have again and again walked through it, sometimes under the snow, is that, in 1922, France was so very much more French. Today and for as long as I can remember, the people of France have shown a very specific "Christmas Spirit," unlike that of other Catholic countries. Apparent is neither Italian exuberance nor any other kind of wild fervor, but more a kind of reverential distance, steeped in formal Orthodox Faith. In France, on the Night of Christmas, there is a sense of holiness that is palpable, and...touching. Caron's "Nuit de Noel" is appropriately dainty in its flight: Strangely evocative of the Angelic, it is the scent of frozen evening air gently wafting through full bodied red roses, somewhat overblown. This chill fades over the course of the flight, giving way to a kind of olfactive Divine Liturgy of incenses, with a resinous benzoin in the staring role. Ernest Daltroff must have suffered from a touch of nevrosis, for there is a kind of chaos remarkable in all of his creations, and not just a small dose of melancolia. Nuit de Noel is united to all the other Carons by it's shady cacaphony of notes, so many that the whole is somewhat perplexing, resulting in fragrances so intricate, they defy analytical description. Where Guerlain was always organic, Caron was kaleidoscopic. The name Guerlain also carried with it, and still does to this day, a vague tinge of bas bleu "compagnard" that Caron could never suggest, thus the myth of "Grandes Dames wore Caron and Coquettes wore Guerlain." Realistically, and from an intrinsically French point of view, this comparison should be interpreted more as "Paris High Society vs. life in the Provinces," or perhaps a kind of self-imposed exile from the norm.
It is safe to say that in 1922, very many considered Caron to be a more informed and refined choice of perfumerie than Guerlain, as difficult as that is to imagine today. When Couturier Patou entered the fragrance arena in the mid twenties, with blends available strictly to the clients of his Haute Couture salons, it is also likely that more Caron devotees jumped ship than did fans of Guerlain. Caron compositions are more like those of Patou, their density and overwrought structure having little in common with "Guerlinades." None of the Caron fragrances have aged particularly well, Nuit de Noel being no exception: There's a depth to it, a kind of neo-gothic romance that's all powder, silk, swan's down and rouge: A very Grande Dame indeed, perched at her dressing table surrounded by dozens and dozens of red roses, burning pastilles and furiously applying make-up, en route, perhaps, to a funeral on Christmas Eve, or so it appears to us today. Then, this emotional and highly dramatic depth was considered the very height of chic, much in the way wan fragrances that smell of watermelon are today. Admittedly, there is something slightly disquieting about discovering a charmeuse-clad Lady powdering her decolletage, arms, hands, face and neck on the alter of a Catholic cathedral in the midst of the solemn and Holy things that manifest on the night of Christmas: Thus is the confusion of Caron, an abstraction born of nevrosity, the hallmark of Ernest Daltroff. No Caron worthy of its name would ever just give itself over, for these are fragrances that could aptly carry the coveted banner of "bewitching." Acting very like the other Caron Greats, Nuit de Noel is a kind of stain: It never goes away-and must "wear off," a process that can last for days, over multiple baths, and noticeably vary each time it is applied: The same bottle of Nuit de Noel may wear differently from one day to the next, inexplicably, surprising the wearer as no other perfume I have ever experienced: Something about it is obviously overly reactive to body chemistry, itself an unpredictable mystery perhaps more easily explained and understood from a purely medical perspective.
Only the flight, a two hour affair, which itself has an identity all its own, could be considered remotely "wearable" by today's standards. For the rest of its 20 plus hours, Nuit de Noel will most definitely not go unnoticed. This is a Great Perfume with complexities that are guaranteed to be misinterpreted and very sadly not remotely understandable to most modern noses: Rather than evoking the sublime and holy hush of a snowy Paris night at Christmas, it may awaken memories of a funeral parlor engaged in a very religious open-casket wake, or, alternately, a silent movie-era vampire drama, both veiled in heaps and heaps of make up, and a dim, candle-lit gloom. A very solemn hymn is Nuit de Noel--and the enigma of a wildly attractive and ultra-chic sensation of a scent, no doubt considered daring and sexy in its time, that somehow ended up being conceivably the perfect choice for a dignified and pious woman in morning desirous of solitude. One of the last commercial perfumes to have retained its bottle and packaging unaltered to this day, and a beautiful bouquet of quiet, introverted thoughts, Nuit de Noel is a treasure for being the very precise illustration of a reverent culture that is out of the question today. Hopefully, we will find it in our hearts to be thankful for it, and, in the True Spirit of Christmas, be wonderstruck, if only for a mere fleeting instant. From deep within the blackness, and through the chill of a cold winters night, a distant and alien star mysteriously shines: Do you see what I see?

chevstriss
chevstriss

I wore this exclusively for a very long time, almost to the point that my own nose was "numb" to it and it became a part of me. All I can say is it is unique in this day of foody-fruity scents, and males loved the scent on me. It never felt particularly floral to my nose, much more chypre.

daniela3
daniela3

"Nuit de Noel" (despite the name) has nothing to see with Xmas Eve as the intention of the Nose behind it was to create a beautiful feminine fragrance to be worn on that special occasion by all those ladies who wanted to smell "good".
What to add that hasn't been already written... Well, it has been (ach!!!) reformulated but...It hasn't been killed - completely! - compared to other wonders from the past. I keep on using it some times; on me - if used with care - it's nice ; )
But due to its rich formula I find it more suitable for the cold season, than for summer... although the alchemy between a fragrance and the "holder" is always an incognita. A charming one!

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Absolutely amazing. The strangest is that during dry down for some reason I got peach out of this???

Certainly something I may consider getting as its really a beautiful winter scent. (I also do not get christmas from this but I guess some of us won't)

brb-59
brb-59

Please listen to:"Marc Almond & Boris Grebenshikov - Nuit De Noel"(You Tube).The song by the Russian decadent Alexsand Vertinsky.

Maman
Maman

I was intrigued so I bought a sample. It doesn't smell at all as I expected. There's almost a base of Perfume Sacre in there but with a more powdery note. I don't detect anything that suggests Christmas night although my husband thought he could smell a little incense (I couldn't). I don't dislike it but there's no real charm there.

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

What I mainly pick up on is a huge, creamy ylang ylang note (and also something that reminds me of bergamot, which is not listed in the notes). Most perfumes with a lot of ylang ylang are sexy, but this doesn't seem sexy at all. Instead, it is rich, stately and old fashioned.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

There is nothing in this scent that reminds me of Christmas. It's a slightly sour, sherbety, powdered floral scent in the top notes with a good dose of indole in the heart notes. It has a general musky mustiness in the drydown which gives me the same feeling as L'Heure Bleue, though this isn't as melancholy. It does have a 'quiet' feeling which may be the Christmas Eve reference, and it's most definately nostalgic. This is not boring, by any means but it is an acquired taste, as it smells a bit like an ancient clothes chest which has been opened. The old make up, the tang of sweat, the faded floral posies. Another scent for the corpse bride........

sablebombe
sablebombe

I just get all the notes in this wonderful scent starting with the Jasmine, then Ylang Ylang the rose and so on. I love the amber underneath the creamy floral - it just reeks class and dressing up in your best - this is a very classy fragrance and in some ways does remind me of Christmas - obviously to do with the dressing up part and the fragrance! But for me there is more than that - this isn't something my mother would wear (heck I had to forcefeed her perfume) - but it does remind me of being very small and watching for santa over the snow covered field - there is something very past about this fragrance - but I cannot put my finger on it at all.

I am a Caron fan and I bought this blind after reading the reviews on here - and I am very glad I did - one for the deepest winter and definitely for Christmas! Warming, alluring, enrobing!

Great silage and long lasting! 5*

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

The version that I have is the vintage parfum. What this has to do with Christmas night, I’m not sure, but it’s lovely nonetheless. It starts out as a strong, sharp, aldehydic, classic chypre with notes of leathery violet or violet-scented leather and oakmoss. It’s dry and non-sweet, with very little in the way of overt floral notes except a hint of ylang-ylang. Sillage is moderate, and longevity is at least 6-8 hours.

It has the feel of so many vintage perfumes where the top notes have become pared down to their essentials, revealing the structure underneath more clearly than probably was intended. To me, this is one of the wonderful things about sampling vintage perfumes. Time has taken the knick-knacks out of the room so that the elegant design and craftsmanship of its furnishings and architecture are revealed.

Nuit de Noel is a beautifully crafted and very wearable fragrance for a lover of vintage chypre-type fragrances.

Printeza7
Printeza7

This is a classic fragrance! I love the warmth of the scent, it is so welcoming, so re-assuring of a lovely time. It does remind me strongly of Chanel 5 but even nicer and warmer. I really think this is such a powerful fragrance which has such of longevity life on your skin.
Ylang-Ylang and musk- just dreamy- a passionate fragrance!
Forever Unique.

ineverwas
ineverwas

This perfume is warm, cozy and delightful like a loving embrace, while at the same time it manages to exude the charm and elegance of an upper class evening event. Caron's interpretation of the Christmas night is absolutely beautiful: warmth, grace and wealth, tradition, happiness and endless style. I would definitely attend this dinner party.

As for the notes in Nuit de Noel, sandalwood and oakmoss tend to dominate the composition, while the creamy flowers (rose, jasmin, ylang-ylang) keep somewhat in the background and add a feminine touch to the heavy oriental composition. I actually detect some similarities to Chanel Coco, but Nuit de Noel is less pungent and spicy. It also resembles Estee Lauder Eau de Private Collection, but it's thicker and more oriental.

As a strong oriental, I recommend this perfume for evening wear and (although I do not usually advocate age discrimination and there are always exceptions) I think this perfume would suit someone 30+ a bit easier. You need some guts to match this aristocratic beauty.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

The incense-like opening does, in fact, remind me of Christmas Midnight Mass. Suprisingly for a spicy incense scent, it remains fairly close to the skin. As it develops, the incense fades into a rich, velvety spiciness, warming further into a powdery light spice mix. Interesting, complex and delicate.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

I came across a beautiful vintage black art deco bottle of this perfume today and I was wowed. It is so rich and warm. Spiced rum and sweet amber mingling with a touch of musk, cocoa and tobacco is what came to mind. I think the vintage cologne would be a wonderful fragrance for a classic gentleman as well (especially those favoring Taylors). Evening fragrance for certain. Absolutely enchanting.

Lady Love
Lady Love

I've always been interested in Caron’s fragrances, because this house has a lot’s of big perfume hits back in the 10’s or 20’s.

Despite my desire to buy blind some Caron’s great fragrances, I have been ignoring them for a long time duet to the almost depressed and Overly Exaggerated comments about Caron’s reformulation. Like: ‘’Caron ruin fragrance legends with reformulation’’ ‘’Now Caron’s fragrances smell horrible’’ ‘’ I have such lovely memories of it and the new formulation defintely doesn't have nothing of the original’’

Thanks God! I Don't Take this So Serious and decided to purchase some decants.

and guess what?..

I make an order of almost 20 good fragrances, 5 of them were from Caron, and let me tell you, that this 5 beauties, smell far better than the others fifteen, and also so much better than a lot of fragrances out there. I Don't try to say ‘’Things Don't Change’’, I know that they change, everybody change and Guerlain and Chanel change too, but they are still pretty. And finally I don’t work for Caron, Caron don’t even exist in my country. I only jugde what I smelled.

(Nuit de noel Edt Review)

Deep, Rich and well blended woody powdery scent! Caron give me that 20's retro feeling and i just love it!

Its complexity and smell are very similar to Habanita, but Nuit de noel is more woody elegant and light.

It's very powdery, but this is the charming side of this fragrance. Lasting power is good.

oona noir

I am absolutely mad for this perfume, and I'm only testing the edt! I can only imagine what the parfum must be like! This is insanely good stuff- if Chanel No 5 smelled like this, I would be able to understand why it's such a top seller. It starts off a little 'huh?', like most Carons, but it only takes 20 minutes to start smelling amazing (I think that's pretty good for a Caron). It reminds me of No 5 in some ways at the start- it goes on a little soapy and the rose, jasmine and ylang ylang are there- but it's like all the bad parts of No 5 were removed (the nasty lemon!) and instead when the base peeks it's head out, it goes sexier than 5- there is marvelous incense. This is very sexy stuff, but it's still sophisticated and classy. Makes EL Youth Dew and Cinnabar look juvenile, imo. Less Christmasey and more sexy than Bois des Iles edt... The mousse de saxe base is absolutely to die for! I can't wait to try the extrait!
Edit: Tried the vintage extrait the other day, and it is, indeed, out of this world.

thobbit
thobbit

I absolutely adore this scent in all it's smokey dark sensualness. Upon first spritz the floral top notes of rose, jasmine, and ylang-ylang make a brief appearance before they become slowly wrapped in the smoke and fire of incense mixed with spices and a hint of sensual musk. Hours later the incense mellows and sweetens mingling with dark woods and musk. This juice is magic on my skin, my signature scent at least for now as I can be fickle.

cloyd42
cloyd42

For those wondering about the name it's fairly clear to anyone raised Roman Catholic of a certain age. The perfume has a rich "incense" note that probably comes from the amber and oakmoss. For anyone who's gone to midnight mass on Christmas eve it brings back every memory of incense, women dressed in their best wearing Chanel No 5 and Shalimar--the most wonderful sensual experience that one can have, particularly with a pipe organ vibrating your bones as you hear Jesu Joy of Man's Desire or Hark the Herald Angels Sing. (I digress.) This is one of the few scents I wear as perfume, which means you must treat it with care and a bit of suspicion. The sillage is amazing and it lasts forever--perfect for the kind of parties where you'd wear pearls or mink but very definitely a grown-up perfume--not the kind that would have pink-themed ads. Wearing this requires taking yourself seriously and being able to recognize the right occasion. When treated with respect it may not love you but it will elevate you.

(Vintage Parfum Review)
I need to add a second review because this is a completely different fragrance. Below I state that I had a 2 hour wait to get something I liked, and that I prefered a 'darker' scent.

No such comments for the vintage. This turned lovely; absolutely jaw dropping lovely, at the 30 min mark. Gone are the annoying airy wisps and the ushering in of a too strong white floral acord.

Vintage wears as a luscious, ylang ylang led oriental chypre. It is much oilier than the newer version, and hte mousse de saxe drydown lasts well over 12 hours.

What happened with this? What I tried last night was one of the best parfums I"ve tried...EVER. I'm going to request another modern parfum from a different source to see what my thoughts are. Perhaps my old version was exposed to oxygen or something.

KalmiaB
KalmiaB

This is wonderful and I'm happy to know it can still be purchased. It was my aunt's favorite winter scent.

Sissi
Sissi

A softer less urbane version of Chanel no 5 this fragrance has a certian country elegance to it picturing oak
trees lined side by side riding in a open horse drawn carrige to an elegant
southern plantation full of white magnolias or going to a ketucky Derby wearing your finest.

The opening has a aldehydic note next
is the scent of bergamot and at it's base is rose gives it a powdery texture
unlike chanel no 5 caron's nuit de noel
avoids the clinical amount of Aldehydes
and sharp citruses and adds a warm amber note that is inviting.
this is perfect also winter and christmas eve parties.

(Parfum Review)
I'm beginning to think Caron is the cat of all fragrance houses. You can put it on, give it a scritch, even tell it you've missed it since you last wore it; and it still won't play nice until it's good and ready.

This has one of the longest wait times I've seen to turn pleasant- two hours! Yes, i spent two whole hours thinking i found a Caron stinker. But nope, after it's cat nap it sent a little jasmine purr my way, playfully wrapped in that Caron base that I've come to love.

I find it hard to believe that the florals are the top notes, because I can't detect them at all until well into the middle act. But when they appear, ooh, what a gorgeous scent. If you like soft jasmine and ylang ylang this is a good one to try. This is not my favorite Caron, as I like darker, more 'rounded' scents (like Or et Noir), but an appreciated fragrance, certainly.

The opening of Caron's NUIT DE NOEL packs a powerful punch: a bunch of aldehydes, oakmoss and florals assert themselves with the initial spritz. It's a rather confusing sort of brouhaha, in fact. Within minutes, however, things calm down quite a bit.

A dark murky, slightly alkaline period ensues, with flowers--above all ylang ylang--peeking out here and there amidst the musky fog.

In the drydown, the mustiness becomes dustiness, as though the moisture of the moss has all evaporated away, leaving behind the remnants of a dried floral arrangement. Or perhaps dried roses pressed in books as keepsakes. I like this drydown, soft, powdery, rose-laden and nostalgic.

NUIT DE NOEL is not a boring fragrance at all, nor is it like anything thing else that I've tried! I would have to agree with another reviewer, however, that this is a chypre floral. And the Christmas Eve reference altogether eludes me...

My mother has worn this for years as her dress-up fragrance, so to me, the aldehydic Chanel-ish florals are the epitomy of black tie. The vintage edp is classic: A opening announcement of aldehydes and jasmine, ylang and rose, blending down to a powdery oakmoss-vanilla base, but always holding that elegant jasmine rose floral. It has the metallic edge the older aldehydes carry that always remind me of fine jewelry. Is suppose anyone with a younger nose will find it old-fashioned, but to me, this is lovely. Downside: I cannot wear it. The jasmine and oakmoss conspire to smell clumpy and medicated on my skin, very unlike what it smells like on my mother. I don't get the effortless elegance, I get medicated foot-powder. (En Avion does this on me, too.) Oh, well, a lovely scent in the vintage. The new juice is the same mix but sadly thin and somehow sharper all around. It goes to the nasty on me even faster. I recommend this in the vintage if you can find it.

perfumeaddict
perfumeaddict

Although classified as an Oriental floral, I would consider it a Chypre. It starts with citrus notes and ends with oakmoss, traits of most Chypre or "mossy woods" fragrances. Despite the name, I like this better in summer than winter, when the notes really warm up on my skin.

Malegria
Malegria

Very musky.Ylang ylang rules! I was trying to figure out what it reminds me of - Charlie! It`s Charlie`s grandpa...:))I can`t wear it for a long time cause it gives me headache.

Nuit de Noel by Caron 4.28 out of 5 based on 280 ratings and 52 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Caron Nuit de Noel fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Caron Nuit de Noel, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Nuit de Noel by Caron. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Nuit de Noel by Caron represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.