Designers » C » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Parfum Sacre Caron for women
dislike

I have it: 562 I had it: 162 I want it: 448 My signature: 11

smoky
Parfum Sacre Caron for women Pictures Parfum Sacre Caron for women Pictures Parfum Sacre Caron for women Pictures

Capturing notes from all fragrance categories in one scent, ‘Parfum sacre’ is an unprecedented accord of flowers and spices for the ultra-feminine woman. The bottle, encased in gold-leaf, reflects opulence, sensuality and pure unadulterated luxury. Parfum Sacre was launched in 1991. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Pierre Bethouart.

Cardamom Cinnamon Pepper Mimosa

Jasmine tincture of rose Orange Clove

Musk Vanille Myrhh

Parfum Sacre Eau de Parfum Intense
Caron Parfum Sacre (2013)

Parfum Sacre Fragrance Reviews

TJthe4th
TJthe4th

I just love this perfume to distraction. I love the Intense version also. It is church on Christmas Eve. It is an exotic trip to the Middle East. It comes on strong with incense. It lasts a good long time. If I had tried it when I was younger, it would probably have intimidated me, but not now. The dry down is vanilla and jasmine and musk. It's like boldly going on a trip and then coming back to the comfort of home. It's too hot now to wear it, but once I get to put on the sweaters or velvet or sweeping overcoats, out it will come.

shushkin
shushkin

A very nice dark resinous fragrance. On me the mryhh and the black pepper are really amped up on my skin and that spoils it for me. I was hoping for a touch more rose and sweetness. So much pepper that its making me sneeze and it overshadows the spices which I really love. I would say this was most definitely unisex and bang on the middle. Moderate sillage and not surprisingly good longevity.

evesoho
evesoho

Thanks for your review Gigi The Fashionista - you moved ME to tears!

Since I'm already here...

I own a miniature bottle of vintage (early 90s) Parfum Sacre, that I purchased blind. It was my introduction to the house of Caron, and they quickly became one of my "most tested" houses. Now they are one of the houses I can't live without. This should indicate the level of greatness I believe Sacre achieves.

Sacre is a grounded perfume, gentle for how deep it is. Like many Caron scents, it's unassuming - its power surprises me. The power of Sacre is not in its longevity or sillage, but in its ability to create a feeling of positivity and peace within. It's extremely evocative and can affect my mood for the better.

I had the interesting experience of wearing it to a birthday party in early winter, where it seemed like the bday girl was off her meds and the atmosphere became more strained the more alcohol was consumed. There were plenty of times I wanted to either a) tell her off, or b) leave early. And yet these moments of strain and aggravation felt so fleeting, I couldn't commit to their negativity, when I felt so comforted by a warm cloud of all that has been so right in the world since time immemorial.

When I wear Sacre, I feel beyond time. Whether or not the perfume itself is a "timeless classic" is up to you, but I know that I *feel* timeless when I wear it, like I'm in touch with a part of collective consciousness that is so strong it will carry us through anything like the tides, the seasons, and dreams.

Here's what is not in this perfume: No powder, no sugar, no big flowers, no leather, no oakmoss. Like Gigi The Fashionista says in her great review, Sacre is different (even different from perfumes that claim to be "different") and more people should want to wear perfumes that are different. She says it's "meaningful", and I agree. I suspect it was composed very carefully but also in a breath of inspiration. I like to think that the nose, Jean-Pierre Bethouart, decided before mixing exactly what notes were going to be in this perfume. He maybe wrote in his notebook, "I'm going to create a scent with these notes: Cloves, frankincense, rose, etc...... This. And nothing more." All the power to him.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

There aren't enough adjectives to describe my love, my obsession with this scent. This is a case of Caronade, I have tried time and again scents with similar/ identical notes, but, alas, NOTHING is anywhere remotely like my precious, beloved Sacre!!! Spicy and yet smooth, creamy, deliciously resinous with immense depth and character, with the most beautiful and balanced rose that together with a whisper of vanilla and musk becomes soft and velvety and the orange ever so faintly adding a touch of zest!!!! Classy, sultry, comforting and utterly unique!!! The only one that is remotely alike is its spicier sister Sacre Intense with a heavier musk and spices. However this perfume with all its comforting undertones still demands presence and personality by the wearer. Not for the usual "sugary fruity/ floral brigade", but for the ones that can appreciate the finer things.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Winter has finally come and I just broke out my cold weather perfumes. Parfum Sacre EDP was one of my first to wear, and because I only wear this one during the winter I often forget how magnificent it is. It’s one of my loves; unique, passionate, warm incense and spice. It’s heavily loaded with myrrh, peppers, cinnamon, cardamom and rose with a hint of orange and vanilla. I sprayed it on a little lighter than I normally would so that I wouldn’t offend the office peeps, but it's already been 6 hours and I am still surrounded with a cloud of this heavenly aroma.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

SACRED PERFUME...FOR CHRISTMAS

I have only enjoyed the experience of this original formula. The new one (reformulation) was an atomic incense bomb that blew up my house and covered it in ash, and a mushroom cloud of dark smoke. I couldn't wear that. I would prefer to wear L'Agent by Agent Provocateur which is big on incense but not like the reformulated new version of Parfum Sacre. This one has myrrh which is incense but much sweeter and less smoky. It's so very sweet and touching. It's like something out of the Bible and very appropriate for Christmas after all Christian tradition holds that the infant Christ was presented with gifts of incense from the Three Magi Balthazar Caspar Balthazar and Melchior. What was it? Frankincense and Myrrh. That's what you get out of this perfume. I am going to wear it for Christmas Eve. It's really quite beautiful. Starts off spicy with pepper, ginger (cardamom ginger) and cinnamon. While these are gourmand notes this one just reminds me of Christmas, of being at Church on Christmas or being at home with friends on Christmas having a traditional Christmas with the tree and with an angel on top of that tree. Often times wearing this fragrance I feel like candle light is being lit inside of me. The heart of this fragrance is a rose but it's not a big player. Its paired with a jasmine and gives it a softer, headier but not overwhelming scent. So if you're big on soft flowers but heavier myrrh this is for you. This is my Christmas perfume every Christmas. They did a terrific job arranging the notes to take you on that night Jesus was born when the 3 Magi followed the star of Bethlehem to find the infant Jesus Christ on that manger. I'm not Christian nor Catholic and I love wearing this fragrance - ON CHRISTMAS EVE because it moves me to tears. I wish that more people could wear fragrances that express something more than just "sexiness". This is a deep and very meaningful fragrance. The new one is ok if you're big on that intense incense. I thought it was ok for incense room spray but this oh this one is heavenly. It's a holy scent of angels, choirs altars, Christmas carolers, cathedrals, churches, and that night the little drummer played for Jesus. Merry Christmas Fragrantica

r0r0
r0r0

I did not expect this to smell of a less sweet version of Tocade by Rochas, but we learn something new every day. If only I liked Tocade. If only Parfum Sacre and Tocade both smelled less sickly synthetic.

What's more Parfum Sacre seems terribly weak, already fading considerably even though I've had it on less than an hour. Perhaps the drydown will be better.

ETA: My mother tried this. Smells nothing like Tocade on her, though still isn't very strong. Nicer on her though. Skin chemistry is a funny thing.

Militza
Militza

Do they still make it? I can't find it on line anywhere. Caron still operating I hope. I am out of Parfum Sacre....It is a deep and mysterious scent way above many others.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Sacre wasn't my love from the first sniff, even though I love spices big time. Something was turning me away from it for first three times of wearing - opening - salty almost and disturbing. Now exactly the opening is what makes me love it and appreciate this perfume the most. Myrrhe here is raw, peppery and dry, it startles you, shocks you and rocks your world. Sacramental perfume it is - in its whole mysticism and passion, would love to smell it on man as well.

lotus and jasmine
lotus and jasmine

Parfum Sacre opens with a blast of myrrh, almost incense-like in it's smokiness. This phase passes fairly quickly, and the heart opens with a strong bitter orange note, supplemented by cardmom, and the slightest hint of breezy mimosa. In the dry down, I get distinct cedar (not listed, but I notice others have remarked on the woodiness of the scent), orange, vanilla, and the slightest touch of cinnamon.

I like the cedar note in particular, but overall, I wish that that initial smoky incense note has either remained or returned. The opening was the most intriguing part, reminiscent of the incense used in churches, and I guess the reason for the name.

Overall, Sacre is warm, a little spicy, and beautifully woody, but the dry down is not as unusual as the opening led me to expect. I can't remember what the dry down reminds me of, but it's an accord that I've encountered before. Safely unisex.

I recommend trying this- but given that Sacre can be quite expensive, I think testing before blind buying is a good idea.

Tara1
Tara1

The reason I purchased Parfum Sacre was actually because a woman I met with amazing style wore it as her signature scent.

So, I got interested enough to buy myself Parfum Sacre.

Balsamic, rich, woody,spicey.....what a dream perfume!

It touches something very deep and rich.

But, I have to be in the mood for it. I don't wear it that often.
It is more of a winter perfume for me.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. On my skin and to my nose, I get mostly mimose on top follows by powdery rose, which is prominent with hints of cinnamon and black pepper. It also has sort of almond qualities to it. Although I'm not a world class rose fan, this actually agrees with my nose. Together with Incense Rose by Tauer and La Fille de Berlin by SL, it's one of the rose scents I would wear. Parfum Sacre has moderate projection and longevity on my skin.

juji
juji

This IS a fascinating perfume and just lovely, lovely, mysterious, and incensy. I've been wanting to try it forever as well as a couple other Caron's. Their is a note that comes through after about 15 minutes that I just can't put my finger on, but to my nose it's almost a minty fresh floral of some sort. It's just amazing how sell blended and "old school beautiful" this is! Next on my list to try is Nuit de Noel.

JaiTee
JaiTee

I'm fascinated by how the rose note in Sacre tips the perfume into incense territory. Absolutely entranced by the opening act.

There are peppery spices peeking out behind the rose, so at times, my brain also registers this perfume as soapy -- fancy, french rose soapy.

And then, and then...

Longevity is ridiculously shortlived. 30mins at full steam, and then a dramatic drop off into skin scent sillage. I continued to get sudden whiffs over the next couple of hours, but I'm not looking for a short-term fling, my dear Parfum Sacre.

On my skin, this is such a disappointing end to what I thought was going to be a beautiful new love.

Rebemario
Rebemario

This is my first experience with this design house and my purchase was blind but because of all the rave reviews here at Fragantica, I knew I could trust you guys and boy am I glad I did! I was so deflated earlier because the new production of Youth Dew it seems must have put water in the current formulation and I was in the mood for incense and myrrh which are at the base of vintage Youth Dew. I was sad and feeling like I needed a fix for those ingredients!:)

In short, I purchased a bottle today of this amazing liquid gold and yes, I do get the church connection, it smells of that lovely incense they use on Holidays, which makes it even more significant for me... I am surely hooked, it is an instant calmative and a fragrance I will hopefully keep in my collection. I am not easily convinced but this is one of the most beautiful scents Ive ever encountered, really...

archivist
archivist

I think the bottle I bought (ebay) back when I had this might have turned, because it smelled like a big fat bunch of stewed celery.

I lamented this and was told "Oh, that's the pepper."

So I decided I hated it. But I wonder... Maybe it had turned? I feel like Carons will turn if you look at them funny. I've had other perfumes by them that had clearly turned, though they didn't smell like stewed celery.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Parfum Sacre proves quite different 'in person' to my nose than the notes here would seem to indicate. But I like it!

Hmmm.....

I wonder if it's the mimosa that creates the utterly beguiling CREAMY note I am smelling?! I also sense few if any spices, a hint of incense, and well mannered florals perfectly blended in the best old fashioned tradition.

Remarks about this drying down to a skin scent are quite correct - for me at least it is not a heavy hitter but rather subtle and refined. I am also smelling a sort of undergirding of soft musk and perhaps sandalwood that truly reminds me of Guerlain. ( FYI - I have a sample of the vintage version. )

All in all, a lovely creature. I think I would fall in love over time, were this sample just a TAD larger.... hehe. ;)

Four Stars ~ Five if the sillage was superior!

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

At first I was underwhelmed but by the end of the day I was in love. It's a smokey softly incensy perfume. I was expecting something more churchy.. I guess is how most would describe a strong rose incense perfume. And yeah, this is not that. IT's soft, very lady like, but definently sexy. The spices n pepper are soft, nothing scary at all, in fact I wish it were spicier. It's a touch soapy which I don't mind, and the spices and powdery mhyrr with the rose in the background.. it is balsamic, but you really have to be looking for the rose to even be able to tell it's there. At first it just smelled like dirt to me, dirt that is , in a good way, as good as dirt can get. But as alredy mentioned it only took a short while... actually only a few minutes for it to go to an almost love. My only real quam with this (and I'm referring to the vintage EDP) is that it doesn't last very long. I love the first 30 minutes, it's strong with sillage. But then quickly dries down to a skin scent. Still noticeable. But then in only a few short hours... it's almost gone.. I really have to press my nose hard against wrist to detect anything at all. I would really think that coming from the house of Caron and being vintage, and being edp that this should last (at very least) a full 8 hours.. So that's increadibly disappointing. Because it is a lovely scent.. but come on?? for these prices... I better get atleast 8 hours without having to re-apply. The most I get is 3 hours... and I'm sorry but that's just not good enough

Also, I think everyone did a fantastic job describing this perfume, however I really don't find this to be ''riske'' at all, as some have described.. actually it's a pretty safe bet.. well that is, except for the longevity. And you have to like having a touch of soap in your perfume

This reminds me somewhat of the vintage passion by Elizabeth Taylor... you know that soft budoir sort of incense perfume. While they don't smell alike, the feel is similar too me. But where that is purple.. this is a earthy smokey color, and instead of all incense.. there's rich woods, and resins and spices... soft spices. It's all very soft. This is even suitable for wearing to the office. It's like a versatile outfit, great for work, but take of the jacket (re-apply) and it's sexy for going out on the town after work

To clarify, I'd say it's a safe blind buy, if you love incense, smoke, cloves, cinnamon and pepper... done softly of course
ohyes, and there is a touch of some sort of bodily skank, but not much. I love that skank. But if you're into girly pretty perfumes, with no skank, this may not be for you.. I just realized I said it smells a bit soapy and it does... but it is definently a bit skanky too, skanky soap?

And after all this, above all else it is unmistakably beautiful. I'm often leaning over shoulders at work and almost everytime I do and it's within that first 3 hours, I get some sort of compliment. And it is addictive. If this was longerlasting I could see this as a signature scent. While it's not as riske' as I'd hoped, it makes up for it in sheer class and distinction

I've only tried vintage (bottle type pictured above). This is a rich blend of spices, wood, florals, ambery/sweetness, civet, and myrrh. It doesn't go too far in any one direction (though at first it smells a bit like certain cough medications), and smells like what niche wants to do but can't. The big difference between a scent like this and so many recent designer ones (especially many of the "masculine" Black ones) is that the notes here don't feel like they are sticking together, which becomes irritating rather quickly for me. Also, the touch of civet helps with complexity and dynamism. I think it's worthwhile to compare this one to Ungaro II. While that one is a bit more "masculine," it is a bit "sticky" to me, and so I prefer this one. If one compares this to La Nuit EdP by Paco Rabanne, though, I'd say this one has more going on and is smoother (La Nuit is more animalic). Keep your eyes open for a deal on ebay and you might get lucky!

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

The reviews here inspired me to blind buy this (the new version, EDP with the violet colored label). I am so glad that I did! This is a fascinating, beautiful perfume. I have to say that if at first you aren't sure about this one, please give it a chance. I recently wore it for the fourth time, and that is when the magic hit me. I am so glad that I didn't give up on this. Everyone has done an excellent job in describing it, and I can't really add more except that if it doesn't really "click" for you at first wear it a few more times, and it will grab you. I also applied it less heavily than I had previously (2 sprays, one on the throat/chest area and then a misting walk-through) and it wasn't so over powering and in-the-face, that way. Much more pleasant. I finally got the rose/myrrh/amber/incense/pepper and I am thrilled. It lasts all day and is softly present (if you stand near me you'll smell it, but you don't have to get right next to me) but doesn't overpower. I have received compliments on it. So far I've worn it in cool and cold weather, and now I'm looking forward to trying it in the warmer seasons.

Dirty silk panties.
Very peppery at the intro. Strong cloves which come off simultaneously medicinal and bodily. A slightly cosmetic rose musk and some powdery mimose.
I don't know if I find the name to be super appropriate. I do smell the myrrh, but I don't get anything churchy here. It's more a bedroom scent. As in, someone's bedroom not the things that go in in a bedroom.

Gaelle
Gaelle

My fellow reviewers (in special Vie Cafe) did a great job describing the fragrance, and I have nothing left to add. Nevertheless, I'll talk about the 2013 edition.
I had finished my pretty white labeled (with golden cap) bottle and my husband thought that a new bottle would be a nice Valentines Day present. I almost never finish a bottle of perfume - that's how I love Parfum Sacré!
So, my amazing husband came home with the 2013 re-designed bottle. At first, I was afraid Caron had changed the formula, as they did with Nocturnes.
First impression - the wonderful balsamic myrrh-frankincense-spices-rose smell was the same. Nice! But after 1 hour...
To make the story short - The 2013 Parfum Sacré has half of the staying power and 1/3 of the projection. Shame on you, Caron!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Parfum Sacre reminds me of pale pink silk that’s been passed through incense smoke.

(I might not have got around to trying it it but was given a generous sample by @Aphelion, thank you!)

It opens with a peppery woody/spicy rose accord which very soon develops on skin to a warm rose/incense, with the spices calming to a subtle blend.

The rose in Parfum Sacre is very distinct - slightly soapy yet salty/sweet and delicate. Contrary to my expectations, Parfum Sacre feels gentle. The spices listed might lead you to expect this will be a classic winter spicy oriental but I’d happily wear this at any time of year.

It feels, if not exactly contemporary, quite timeless, and there are no powerful aldehydes or animalic notes, nothing to tie it down to a particular decade or style. One thing I’m grateful for is the absence of noticeable patchouli, this is not a heavy perfume and into dry down it’s really almost a skin scent, the rose has very slightly gourmand qualities (might have something to do with light touch of vanilla)

The heart notes and dry-down feature a beautiful incense quality. Often, incense accords in perfume can smell like raw, unlit Frankincense or myrrh, in Parfum Sacre it’s more like the remains of velvety incense powder in a small temple (nothing cathedral-like about this incense!)

I’d like to try the intense version in the pink metallic bottle, but this was immediate love for me so I ordered a full bottle in this version.

Sillage soft to moderate, longevity 5 + hours, if applied generously

misslawbore
misslawbore

The overwhelming impression for me is medicinal. Sorry everyone! The medicinal is starting to fade after half an hour, but that's rather a long time to smell like you sprayed flyspray on yourself. I am left with the incense smell and it's not subtle. Incense needs to be used very sparingly in perfume

Update: an hour or two later most of the incense has gone but then there is hardly any trace of the perfume at all now!

mymlan
mymlan

I've tested Pafrum Sacre before but at that time in such tiny amounts per testing that I couldn't pick up the notes beyond the spicy take off. Since I recently was given a generous decant from a fragrantica friend (thank you Mimmi!) I could investigate it more thoroughly.

Today I found out that I LOVE myrrh! I love this effortless bittersweet, spicy and slightly medicinal note and how it blends with the rose and the smaller amounts of cinnamon and cardamon. I usually avoid spicy orientals as I think most of them doesn't suit me, but this one does. Apart from the black pepper which fades away quite fast, Parfum Sacre developes more like a floriental on my skin. And the cloves are moderate and just adds a spicy animalic note to the blend. The drydown which lasts + 12h is to die for: a honeyed gourmand rose with a touch from spices and that amazing myrrh. I simply adore it! (Vintage edp)

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

Beautiful. Opening was spicey and a wild but pleasing cinnamon. The dry down is still spiced but more smooth. It is wonderful and surely agree with MITSOUKO's REVIEW It is unusual. This review is for the reformulated version. I am so curious what the original smells like.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

Calming, meditative, and terrifically blended. I can picture the inner chambers and courtyards of ancient Egyptian temples smelling of this--priests taking purification baths in the sacred lake before burning incense and sweet myrrh as offerings to their gods, the fragrant smoke rising and dissipating into the dry desert heat. Great stuff.

houzi
houzi

Temperatures finally dropped in my location a few days ago and it looks like the cooler winter season has begun to set in. The last two or three days made me want to wear something warm and comforting so I decided to sample Parfum Sacre.

I was preparing to meet someone with intense, vivacious, possibly overpowering personality, the way oriental fragrances usually are, but the scent that came out of my vial wasn't like that. It's oriental provenance comes forward in the richly satisfying spicy-smoky sweetness but on the whole the scent is very smooth and mellow. Because of this laid-back oriental profile Parfum Sacre should be worth checking out by those who, like me, tend to steer away from heavy, gourmand stuff.

As the scent develops I get some faint floral note which to me smells like a soapy rose. To me the fragrance feels neither warm nor cold; it seems to oscillate slightly between the two from one minute to the next, while never losing its comforting quality. I think it should work great in the summer months as well.

I think it's the type of perfume that has the potential to become the fragrant equivalent of that special dress you've had for some time now, that you know always makes you look good. Not the sexy little number that requires you to assume a whole new persona when you put it on, but the one that you actually look forward to wearing every single time because it just flatters you in all the right places, yet doesn't make you feel self-conscious. I wouldn't mind having a full bottle of this.

Candid_tiare
Candid_tiare

I always thought you shouldn't be buying a perfume because it's nice, smells good or the chemistry is right for your skin, but because you adore it and drives your imagination, through olfactive experiences, into wild dreams and sensation. Parfum Sacre does it all for me. The first time I sprayed it on me, I visualised a very beautiful woman travelling on a train dividing her time between writing on her notebook and melancholically looking out of the window. I visualise a scent of solitude and majesty, of war and peace, of dark and light. It ultimately reminds me of the multicoloured windows of the gothic cathedral: so fragile, yet so strong. Thank you, Caron.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Very smooth, but I wouldn't consider it spicy. it is quite powdery to my nose. Well calibrated, it becomes a single smell in perfect harmony. A true hallmark of craftsmanship. Very feminine

fanny
fanny

Smooth indeed. This is a very physical perfume, which is maybe in contrast with its name. The myrhh with cardamom, pepper and cynnamon make Parfum Sacré voluptuous, woody and almost spicy.
A warm body scent, like a temple for "matter" an sich.

gettheetoanunnery
gettheetoanunnery

Novice sampling vintage from black box.
This is so well blended and oh so smooth. No jarring notes from the peppery/myrrh opening to a lovely musky-dusky (not getting dusty - maybe I don't know the difference!) dark pink rose - these notes are perfect for each other! Vanilla is smoking in the background, balanced well by the cardamom (I think?) and the clove note is present but well understated. Likewise can detect a tiny bit of cinnamon but again only just. I'm thinking this speaks volumes of how well blended and thought out this is. I've read below that some feel this is cold - to me this is anything but. It is warm, sweet, spicy and comforting. It has been a deft hand that conjured this. I'm getting similarities between Rochas Femme and even a touch of the dryness that comes to me in Magie Noire. This, to my untrained nose, a real perfumers scent. There is thought and diligence and respect in this bottle. This is not one for the mass market - am so grateful to Conifer lover for the sample, as I might never have known this one. I'm off a hunting for a vintage

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Caron's Parfum Sacre (vintage) is indeed sacred. It is a fantastic peppery rose on a wonderful myrrh base sprinkled with yummy edible spices and a touch of creamy vanilla.

I'm reminded of 3 perfumes when I smell this; Perles de Lalique for its pepper, RP Calypso for the powdery rose goodness and Gres Cabaret for its old fashioned, dusty rose. I can also smell the nice cinnamon and cardamom quite strongly, which give PS its chai tea vibe and exoticism. I'm totally in love with this gorgeous rose and I am very excited to see that one can afford a bottle of the reformulated juice for quite cheap. And the newer bottle is lovely as well!

Balmy, delicious but not overly sweet. A sexy voluptuous woman in a temple. Peppery hot but tame. A meditative rose both sexy and calm. The virgin Mary and the original sinner in the same bottle.

A perfume very fitting to my name, for those of you who know me well;) you'll know what I mean!

TeeTeeRarr
TeeTeeRarr

@Ladykarl, OMG! There ARE musk Lifesavers! I googled it. You learn something new everyday! Musk candies are popular in places like Australia so trust Lifesavers to capitalize on it.

ladykarl
ladykarl

Are there floral musk lifesavers!?
For me, rather than candy, i get a sort of dry soapy rose with loads of myrhh, subtle spice. Modern Vintage vibe. Well mannered, obedient but maybe with some secrets under it's veil. Very 'Lee' in 'Secretary'.

doxology
doxology

I have the EDP that came in a black box with a bottle like the picture at the top. I don't know whether it's a vintage or not, but I like it better than the other version I have in the tall knobbly bottle. The smell reminds me a lot of floral musk lifesavers and I can detect a slight resemblance to Les Larmes Sacres de Thebes, although the Caron is a very much simpler fragrance. I must say, a very little dab'll do ya - this stuff doesn't have sillage, it has a blast zone. I like to spray a small amount on a tissue and leave it in wastebasket in the laundry.

shannonny
shannonny

I have the EDP from "the white box"? Don't know that formulation. I also have the EDT splash with the cream-colored cap. When I tested PS EDT via Surrender To Chance, as part of five Caron fragrances I wanted to try, I just wanted to eat it, sleep in it, make love to it. That's how much I instantly desired it. I wished I didn't have to go to work so I could spend the day with Parfum Sacre.

It feels warm physically--must be the pepper--warm on my skin. Funny I don't smell a bit of rose, and I love rose: whether it be bright pink and plastickly or morbidly scarlet, like petals on a casket. So poor me. I hardly smell flowers at all, but maybe their notes are overtaken by the stronger resins and spices.

What I do smell right away is that pungent balminess, an almost antiseptic note...must be the myrrh. It makes me think of the exorbitantly costly perfumed nard in the alabaster jar that Mary broke so she could annoint the feet of Jesus with it, knowing he was to die. "The poor you will always have with you, you will not always have me," he reminded Judas (who acted like it was a waste because it could have been sold for money to give to the poor, but he just wanted to steal some of the proceeds for himself).

The poor perfumes we will always have with us: We will not always have Caron, or Rochas, or Guerlain, whether by reformulation or just attrition of discontinued stock. I'm sorry to compare Parfum Sacre to the unguents and ointments used in ancient burial. I guess that's not very perfumey of me. But Parfum Sacre is in its own league--keeping in mind I only have 50 perfumes, and haven't explored niche yet, so I hardly know everything that's out there.

On me it gracefully transitions from that opening ointmenty smell (which don't get me wrong, I actually crave it) to a deep, soft vanilla, spice and musk, the scent equivalent of a lover's husky whisper. I'm dry-skinned, but it lasts and lasts (EDP) as a skin scent. Four hours later in the car, and I realized it was myself that smelled so warm and inviting.

What more could I want from a perfume? It makes me think of the sacredness of God incarnate, and the preciousness of human love. Maybe all you'll get out of it is, "Oh, nice vanilla drydown, not too sweet." And that's OK, too.

Parfum Sacre, (the reformulated EDP), is a quite a heavy oriental to my nose. You are made aware of this fragrance's complexity right off the bat. I'm glad that of the few Carons stocked in my local department store, Parfum Sacre is one of them.

The opening could be perceived as overpowering by some. I was quite taken-aback by the strong, spicy blend of cardamom, cinnamon, pepper and myrrh. A zesty orange accord in the heart attempts to detract from the spiciness, and a powdery rose note lessens its masculine tendencies.

For the most part, Parfum Sacre is sharp and animalic. It doesn't strike me as being a particularly sacred or churchy type of fragrance, although the drydown does have a slight incensey feel.

The more Parfum Sacre develops on the skin, the drier and smokier it becomes. It lacks sweetness despite the added note of vanilla in the drydown. It's potent, exotic and unusual.

Supposedly the original formula had a slight gourmand quality, almost chocolatey. I would love to one day smell the classic Parfum Sacre, maybe even try the extrait.

I had to test Parfum Sacre a few times before writing this review. My opinions were mixed, and still are. As much as I hate to say it, I feel as if it lacks something. Perhaps the strong focus on the resins and spices was too much for me. I would have enjoyed a touch of sweetness, maybe even a hint of dried fruits.

Another disappointing factor was its poor lasting power. I believe this is one of the faults of the reformulation. Very poor indeed. Perhaps the Intense edition was released in 2010 to combat the bad longevity.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

A holy thing of sacred profanity: Jesus and Mary Magdalene's child as a scent. It's all very Catholic but also smells like Buddhist altar offerings, and, too, recalls Hindu altars with rose essence and oil lamps.

Parfum Sacre is a pure, strong creation that is hardly perfumey, more atmospheric. It fills the air with velvety, near-indecent rose: almost suffocating in waves, then the dry down softens to rosewater. Round, rich myrrh; dark, sinus-clearing pepper; and foody though not sweetie-gourmand spices are not of the dour or quiet sort CDG posits as incense. There's a feeling of The Passion of the saints to Parfum Sacre. It's beatific and gothic in the purest architectural sense of the term: crypto-pagan and sensual/over-constructed, on the edge of decadence: some saint dying in a super bloody, noble, ornate manner. On occasion almonds will come out after many hours of wear, smelling of clay or fresh earth: reminders of sacraments and the mortification of the flesh. Parfum Sacre is just on the side of loud enough to be intriguing and lasts for a seeming eternity (a jacket spritzed in November is still fragrant in March).

atiet97
atiet97

I, at the very first place didn't expect it to be interestingly beautiful. Caron, apart from its famous name and great creations, unfortunately has limited number of perfumes that really suit my chemistry. Therefore, when I tried Parfum Sacre, I prepared myself in low tune of expectation.

And .....it had me at hello!
This perfume started very soft and powdery, which reminds me of the powdery effect of carnation in Belodgia, also from the same house. They share that thin yet lingering spiciness. Maybe there is a carnation in it or it's just simply the blend of cardamon, cinnamon and pepper that evoke "carnation".

The mid is getting more and more floral and slightly sweet as I got the rose and jasmine with a lil bit of orange freshness. Towards the end, the musk and vanilla are ascending into the stage, still with that powdery background. The myrrh is probably there but I would easily mistaken that for sweet-green galbanum on Brooklyn Nuance or amber as it really is sweet and warm.

Reviewed from my well-kept miniature of the vintage formulation.

antfarm
antfarm

Powdery, peppery, soft, and rosy. Reminds me of what a mortar and pestle would smell like after crushing rice powder, peppercorns, and tender rose petals.

Barely has any projection, but the scent lingers nicely on the skin for about 4 hours. People will think it is how you smell, not the perfume you are wearing.

nikitajade
nikitajade

This is, well, breathtakingly divine. It's warm, creamy, spicy, and fresh all at the same time. The first blast seems to have some anise, which isn't listed but then it dries to this beautiful creamy oriental with the cinnamon and cloves in perfect balance with the rose and vanilla. Every time I spray it, I smell something new and wonderfully surprising.

aveilhe
aveilhe

Soft. Sensual. Enveloping. Warm. Comfortable. Spicy.

These are just a few adjectives that come to mind when trying to describe Parfume Sacre...and they barely do it justice.

Caron is one of my favorite perfume houses, and they rarely disappoint. PS has quickly moved to the top of my Caron "favorites" list. There is just something about the way Caron does spices that is incomparable in my mind. Caron spice notes always manage to give you a bit of a jolt, waking your senses...and then, right as your nose begins to tingle, the fragrance softens and lulls you...

PS features notes of cinnamon, cardamom, mace, black pepper, and clove. The spices here are so subtle and so beautifully blended that they never become heavy or overwhelming. The floral heart is soft, feminine, lush. And the base notes...well, they're perfect: smoky, sacred myrrh, a few drops of warm vanilla, and soft, sensual musk. I could swear there is sandalwood in there, as well (though it is not listed as a note). There is a powdered creaminess that calls to mind a more subtle version of Guerlain Samsara. The overall composition is equal parts spicy, floral, musky, sweet, and smokey. Caron is the absolute master of making complex scents seem easy and uncomplicated.

This fragrance feels timeless, historical...even transcendent. I can imagine Cleopatra wearing and loving PS (she had quite good taste in perfume, after all) as easily as I can imagine today's modern woman enjoying it.

Parfum Sacre is perfect for cozy evenings and romantic dates. It feels too special to be a daytime scent. It's best to save it for something...sacred.

swedishclare
swedishclare

Thank you to Lillybee for my sample! I tried it yesterday and I admit I was initially underwhelmed - for the first hour I felt as if I'd dabbed a dirty rose soap on my arm, which then disappeared (I had a dab on each wrist and two dabs on my neck). I don't tend to react well to rose, so I was actually relieved when it vanished... but then I kept on catching wafts of something deliciously spicy and creamy, and it was me. The scent stayed very close to the skin, but was absolutely divine - and I really can't describe the notes as it seemed to be playing hide and seek with my nose... but it was still there 12 hours later when I went to bed. Even my partner liked it, and it felt like falling asleep with a silk scarf around my neck.

I'd be intrigued to see if it behaves differently if it's sprayed on, and I can see this being a favourite as long as I remember to ignore the first hour!

isenseincense
isenseincense

Perfection in perfume form.
Now I've smelled you nothing else will do.
You've spoiled me for other perfumes.

persefoni
persefoni

I was so much looking forward to trying this...

I bought a coffret with miniatures by Caron from the company that imports them, and sacre smells like nothing - literally... No spices, no spark, no oriental notes..

Such a weak smell.. It disappeared in less than 30 minutes, but even in the first ones i wasn't sure if i was smelling anything... If the miniatures were supposed to promote their perfumes, they sadly failed.. Whose fault that is, is beyond me..

akats
akats

oh my goodness! What a lovely warm and sexy fragrance...In the vein of Rocha's Femme, this is sensual, delightful, nicely spiced without being heavy, sweet or overwhelming. You want to eat your skin when wearing it. So ladylike but not distant... Myrhh, cardamon, cinnamon are on the front stage, but florals balance the oriental initial blast so well, that the smell although retains it's oriental character, becomes a nice sensual floral one as well. I could add it is modern! too, as every note in it's composition is in the right proportion, so you won't get any retro vibe. I smelled the fragrance as it is shown on the bottle of this picture. So I suspect I tested an older version.

angel6
angel6

One of the most elegant, classic and beautiful perfume, every person that loves perfumes should try this one. A must.

Henriette
Henriette

I agree with Bond_girl 1979 as regards staying power. I bought the original Parfum Sacré immediately after its launch in 1991: the bottle was gorgeous, the scent was immesurably fantastic, the lasting power was forever. For me it would be a bit too much now, but not then. Then I was in my late 20es and welcomed this Caron masterpiece with great enthusiasm, it made me feel special, it was all I wanted to be.
20 years later I love this new lighter Parfum Sacré while back in those years I would not have given it a chance. I find the new version is very close to the original as far as perfumed outcome with much reduced staying power, that's more than true. It lasts nothing compared to the eons it used to stay on your skin. But the scent remains special, very very special.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

This is the third Caron I have tried. Nuit de Noel: too soapy. Aimez moi: too sweet and linear. Sacre was the best of the three. I smell lemon, pepper and incense. Complex, mysterious and a little compelling. Initially I want to sniff my wrist alot, as it's a spicy and intrigueing scent that stays close to the skin. But sadly the juice - even in edp form, doesn't last :( I have to reapply every 3 hours to get some oomph out of it. What a shame. I really hate it when that happens. I am guessing within these shoddy reformulations, the alcohol content is remarkably high in relation to the edp, because I cannot get a scent of theirs to last the distance. My test for this, is to spray it in a particular spot in a room. Depending how long it stays in the air in the spot where sprayed determines how quickly it evaporates and vanishes. Good quality, strong potions linger around - sometimes for many hours on end. 5 mins after spraying Sacre, I return to the spot and cannot smell a thing.
p.s: my personal take and comeback (to these overly whimsical reviews) is that there is a fat chance of any male 'turning their heads' your way on this formulation, unless his head happens to be glued to your wrist. lol

vhelsing
vhelsing

Amazing! the first note to me is pepper and incence, like in church, after a while I feel rose. Unfortunately that's all what I recognize. Once upon a time I had perfumes from Amway- ciel blanc, and parfum sacre is similar to that one, but it's lighter and nicer to me.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

I bought this "unsniffed"; FB,reformulated. I know I've smelled this before and I can't put my finger on it. This is what's wierd. In the beginning it's very disturbing to me maybe it's the pepper as it really does shout out loud "I'm here!"....then the most wonderful sensation happens in the drydown. I remember this scent and I LOVE it. It reminds me of the ancient rose garden in the old catholic church I attended with my mother in law.....long, long ago.

joliecat
joliecat

I sampled this perfume in a store. Though not the vintage formula, it was packaged in a purple box. I fell in love with the beautiful scent, soft, sweet spicy, warm, intruiguing, and it wore close to skin, lasting well into the next day. BUT when I ordered it online, it arrived in a white box. Unfortunately, this was undoubtably yet another reformulation. Unlike the perfume in the store, this one in the white box is watery, a very weak version of the original. Still a nice scent, but much too weak, and it doesn't last more than 20 minutes on me. I will go back to the store and purchase the one in the purple box.

UPDATE : Just bought another bottle, and again it came in a white box. This one is fabulous, lasts a long long time, and is NOT watery or weak. I guess the previous bottle was bad ? Anyway, I am thrilled with Parfum Sacre ! It's a beautiful skin scent, very feminie, spicy, creamy, warm, deep and soft. It will remain one of my very favorites !

Симба
Симба

Thus, the claret-ray burst of cinnamon and pepper, pepper predominates, it is freshly ground, loose, with large particles. Then there is a huge fluffy rose-petals, fully open, the petals are thick, velvety, deep dark maroon color. And I feel a note of oil. Not a pink oil (Sacre priori it smells), and if the oil is squeezed from the timber.
Cucumber with white window-grind spices thoroughly and sifted so powerful aroma, but refined. Rose is large, half-opened, finish in the middle is still assembled in a tight elastic bud, petals pink, shiny, satin, covered with tiny beads of rose oil is amber in color. With very careful raznyuhivanii felt barely perceptible acidity, which adds subtle sound of rose oil. After 40 minutes of acidity disappears, rose blossoms finally glow of youth goes, comes the calm narcissism maturity.
In terms of perfumery art earlier edition of the Sacred Heart got its interesting iridescence, the disclosure notes, subtle sound as if you watch the TV series "The rich also cry" with a good ending.
However, my feelings are more affected by the rose in the coffer. It is straightforward and open in his passion and hatred, its death agony on the greasy wooden churchyard, sprinkled with pepper ashes head, commands respect his sincerity.
I love Sacre!

jae
jae

Oona noir was right. But I had to give it a blind buy to test it (I don't order samples). Caron really got me with this one. Warm, balmy, a bit smoky and with a spicy rose in the center of it all + my skin chemistry = one sexy aroma. This will be sure to turn heads over here in the Middle East. I'll be sure to wear this in all-black when I want to really start some "trouble"....
P.S. - no oud required..... ;)

mauza
mauza

This is one of the most beautiful rose I've ever smelled. Volatil spicy first notes, drydown is a well balanced mix of rose, musk (more like white musk) and vanilla. The same type of roses that You can find on some arabian oil perfumes. I purchased a decant after reading reviews telling that it can perfectly works on a guy. Well I'm a guy... and yes it can! Very elegant and melancholic fragrance.

dlane1953
dlane1953

Unique! I do like it very much--lots of pepper and cinnamon and then you pick out the florals. Love the incense-like dry down. A few reviewers state this is a "mystical" perfume and I agree. Reminds me of orthodox religious ceremonies. It's a very dry fragrance, nothing "foo-foo" about this one. Possibly an acquired taste, depending on your feelings about church services! Men should try this, I think it'd be wonderful on them.
Follow-up: hours and hours later, I am getting a lot of dusky rose and the pepper is still apparent as well.
A winner. Day or night.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

I got my sample of this and at first I thought I didn't like it, but the dry down is pure old fashioned long dresses and summer and beauty. As with any fragrance you must get a sample before buying a FB. I would say this is one to try for sure. It is very different from anything I have ever tried my whole life, and as the hours pass it evolves and evolves into the most wonderful perfume. Not too floral, and not gourmand. If you want to catch that man, I would say this is the fragrance to wear. He will want to know what it tastes like.

artsyrn
artsyrn

Gorgeous! This is an opulent fragrance. I feel very sophisticated wearing this. It is spicy, warm and complex. Seriously grown up stuff!

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

My partner called this "elegantly cozy" and I have to agree. A lovely person sent me a sample of this along with many others and I do have to say I am very much so enjoying it.

I love the spice against the Myrhh in this scent, and first impression I got was of prayer incense.

After several hours I smell the vanilla way down in the mix as well as a fleeting amount of rose. Its what I think of as an "occasion" perfume. Quite unusual and I dare say, not one I would want to use everyday.

Bandit
Bandit

I agree, gloria.laroche. It took me nearly 2 years to love Parfum Sacré. My hubby loved it instantly, he probably has the better taste, I admit that. I dismissed it, it was too perfumery for me at first.

Now I love it wildly, it's superb dryness, the acquired rose, it's perfume perfection. It's not for everyday, though. It's for those days, when you really want to make a perfume statement. There is no fruit or gourmand spices in there, not a tiny bit of sugar or sweetness at all, this is a pure perfume, like in the good old days.

gloria.laroche
gloria.laroche

Parfum Sacre is beautiful! After I ordered it....I tried it on and it was lovely and I thought ...well maybe I'll like this but it didn't really flip me. I kind of ignored it a bit.
I agree with someone else...I enjoy wearing this one to bed. It makes me feel wonderful and feminine. The more I wear it, the more I love it.

Udaria
Udaria

Since the Opiums, Baiser de Dragons, and Nuit de Noels are too heavy on me with the incense, Parfum Sacre EDP - probably reformulated from the original heavy scent - is wearable for me. There is really nothing wrong with it, it is rather unassuming. Call it balanced, without any particular notes standing out other than cinnamon and vanilla, although vanilla is not listed. It lingers in a chalky way, not creamy like tuberose for example. It could be named an old lady scent for its non-sweet harshness. And yet, the whole scent is not offensive, it is rather subtle. Nothing great, but better than drug store perfumes which have more edges. This one is streaming along smoothly. I can very well picture incense having been sprayed in a tall cold church.

Wearable therefore in public, at business occasions, not a cuddly scent.

Camin
Camin

I get powdery myrrh with this and not much else, even after several hours. Maybe a little bit of musk. Even though I generally dislike powdery scents this is a little more complex. I don't find this to be a sexy scent at all. It's rather chaste. Probably depends on your mood. Since I've been alone most of the day that might be what I'm feeling, a sense of solitude and distance. I think that's the "sacre" aspect of this fragrance coming out. Or maybe I'm just gullible. I don't get spicy notes. Just the incense.

So it's the next morning and I can still smell this. I can see I'm going to have a complicated relationship with this scent. We're not going to resolve it in a day or two. It's very soft and sweet but not at all cloying. I usually like fresh scents but this is the opposite. I need to ask a man to sniff this on me. A man I like :)

Majesty
Majesty

The world ''balmy'' describes Parfum sacre perfectly. The initial spray is a bitter,very bitter cloud of myrhh. I came across myrrh when I first smelled Czech&Speake Frankincense and Myrrh.I loved it in it but in Parfum Scare it's too ''violent'',too animalic.That's about the start. When it dries down it transforms to a calm powdery myrrh smell,loosing its stiffness. Lasting power is very good,sillage too.Very unique and out of the masses scent.So try before you buy!!

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

Very balmy,when you just spray this one, it punch your nose with Martini Rosso, excact smell.Then it settles with a hint of honey. It is warm, hugging perfume for autumn. It is o.k. for me to use it once or twice, but I wouldn't have it in my collection, as something is missing according to my preference.

krmarich
krmarich

The 1990s began with a hushed brilliance and Parfum Sacre launched the decade of subtle wonders.

The spices are restrained, unlike Opium. The rose behaves gracefully. The sandalwood echoes Samsara and indeed PS is like an exotic holy water.

I tried this at a perfume counter in 1992 and imagine it has been reformulated(corrupted) since. What a shame as Caron was just starting to get noticed in the USA.

jtd
jtd

To read others’ thoughts on Parfum Sacre there have apparently been various formulations of the perfume. I have the edp bought in 2010. I’ve never tried an earlier iteration or different concentration and can only report on this one. How funny that this is sold a feminine perfume. If this were in the blocky Caron masculine bottle, it would sit perfectly beside 3me Homme and Yatagan. PS is parched dry and potent like Yatagan, and built on a very dark accord like 3me Homme.

What I get from PS is rose, pepper, incense. Yes there are a few other bits and pieces (lemon, cedar, jasmine), but they are for the most part supporting cast and have no spoken lines. Pepper, rose & incense line up in their dryness. There is no sweetness or creaminess to the rose. The darkness of the rose matches it to the pepper, and the incense shares the pepper’s nose-tickling feel. The only vague hint of sweetness comes from the resin of the incense. I’ve read that others get sweetness, fruitiness, vanilla. I get none of these, but don’t miss them. PS’s richness comes from the austere buzz of its 3 elements, not from a fleshed-out fullness. Wears incredibly well in SoCal dry heat.

notme
notme

I bought it unsniffed and I have been wearing it for three days now, but the first impression that still hovers in my mind is that it is such a disappointment. I expected this to be a true (sweetish, flowery, heavy/heady) oriental (like Coco which I truly love)- and I figure it could only because of the excessive presence of spices( especially the black pepper and myrrh).

The flowers in this are really shy and few, thus the coldness, sharpness and harshness of this perfume.The connection to the name is made via the untouchablity feeling it creates - this is a peculiar perfume to be worn by some (I can fully understand why some reviewers mentioned gothic cathedrals, darkness, solitude). It still challenges me to find its beauty. It is similar to Shalimar, but to the point that both share incense - but in Parfum Sacre (on me at least) it is present throughout all the stages, while in Shalimar the vanilla and flowers make it more warm and round. It is a peculiar perfume in which the rose and jasmine are so well used that one can not tell their obvious presence.

I guess it takes some time to fully understand, appreciate and wear it accordingly in contrast to the many modern sugary concoctions. On my skin (which loves Shalimar, Coco, Absolu, Organza, Mitsouko and other true stars) at all stages it smells coldish, harsh in an abrasive sense. The middle notes make way for a powdery feel, while the drydown is a true oriental, but by this time it is really hard to detect on the skin. If it had a longer life then the true oriental would have had a say in this - and in my opinion here is where it loses some ground to other orientals which I prefer much more. I love NU (from Yves Saint Laurent) - which uses many spices, but even that was a lot warmer and it had more spices, so I do not understand.

I have the 3.3 oz/100ml EDP bottle, but this is not as long-lasting as other EDPs (the bottle reads an 87% concentration) which makes this EDP last only 4 maximum 5 hours on my skin (while Absolu lasts for 8 hours in the same edp concentration). This was a surprise too from Caron.

I will surely reconsider buying other Carons, especially unsniffed, despite the sparkling and praising reviews (I was considering Nuit de Noel, Montaigne, Bellodgia and Pour une Femme), but I will rather invest in something else more feminine and less sharp (as the EDPs of other companies last for 6-9 hours while these last only for 4).

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Parfum Sacre is one of the best blended modern perfumes in the classic style that I've experienced. It took me several wearings to appreciate it fully, but I ended up very impressed. I simply can't find fault with it...At any stage, it is seamlessly integrated, from first spray to heart to drydown to last lingering traces. There is a subtle trace of something that reminds me of the old classic perfumes---something which keeps me from wearing most of them, although I appreciate them for the art works that they are---but in Sacre, it's transient. Blink and you'll miss it. Yes, it has an incense component, but a very polished and understated one, just a part of this rich, languorous and yet spiritual feeling scent. It's a complex but absolutely smooth perfume for a complex woman, someone at home in her body as well as at home in the spirit. It's not a loud perfume; in fact, my one critique is that I wish it had more oomph and bigger sillage. It lasts fairly well; I could still find it on my wrist in the morning after applying at bedtime, but it was very subtle by then. Overall, quite an extraordinary composition. Definitely planning to keep this in rotation.

annarox
annarox

A quarter of a 1mL vial of this stuff, so 0.25mL, costs $20. Intrigued by reviews, I had to try it. Verdict: Expensively disappointed. At first the smell is very pleasant, like a good perfume, though not a great one. After 5 minutes or so, though, it begins to smell powdery, with a strong splash of cinammon and a hint of myrrh. It’s not that I don’t like cinnamon, but I could just rub some baby powder and cinnamon on my wrist and smell just about the same. It’s very much an old lady smell. It is inoffensive, but also unremarkable.

stelladoro
stelladoro

This reminds me of Tabac Blond, which is worth more than gold these days, if you can find it. The myrhh and cinnamon notes stand out most to me, and I adore a peppery rose! I find the fragrance of incense in Parfum Sacre to be very calming. This may sound crazy, but I spray some on before I go to bed at night if I've had a hectic day. Caron, please keep your masterpieces coming.

Fizzy
Fizzy

IMO - probably he best parfum of House Caron. I have tested about 6 fragrances from Caron. Full, really rich and lasting the whole evening. Something for young lady. Good for evening, very opulent, fresh.

chuckle_choco
chuckle_choco

as im a vanilla fan , this is one of the reason cause me to LOVE this perfume n i wear this for already 3 years !
it wont be irritating even there is a bit smell of pepper .
this is very beautiful , feminine , mystic and i wear it even day and night .
its suits for 4 seasons in year for me . xx

Silhouette_
Silhouette_

With most fragrances I dislike it simply means that I don't find them good. There are however certain perfumes that I appreciate and don't consider poorly made, but can't wear for the love of me - and Parfum Sacre is one of them. So this is more of an explanation than a review.

See, Parfum Sacre reminds me of my grandma's wardrobe. And I don't mean "a granny's wardrobe", I mean specifically that of my maternal grandmother. Trouble is, I didn't like her that much. She was needy, selfish, overly religious and gifted with the ability to make herself and everyone around miserable. And much as I love resins and incenses, to me, Parfum Sacre just evokes the image of a bitter old woman on her way to church. Too bad. Maybe it will change for me with time.

MSp
MSp

Not every woman can wear this scent.
It's more than most scents, and in a most sensual way.
It's the inside a gothic cathedral on a cold dark night, with just candles and incense burning. It's a sexy, sultry, figure draped in black velvet lurking in the shaodws.
It's the sultan's harem behind a thousand veils.

Again: Not every woman can wear this scent.
But if you can, you will blow everything away - not ONE single male will walk by without turning his head for a second whiff.

shoreshells
shoreshells

I was very lucky to be gifted a sample of this fragrance in EDP and EDT from a wonderful fragrantica friend. Because of her kindness I found a wonderful fragrance in the EDP (I like them strong) that I am going to purchase! It's a georgous scent with all the notes I'm looking for and a nice deep, dark rose too!

olga1780
olga1780

What I find out about Caron house more and more, a lot of their perfumes (at least the ones i own) share the same distinct Caron base, just like Patou fragrances. And while they differ I would never be able to tell one from another on someone else blindly.
When I first sprayed Sacre, I was like, Oh Man, it smells like Montaigne, but after 10-15 minutes you can tell it's different. I don't find Sacre spicy, but it's a very beautiful warm oriental, so perfectly blended like other scents from the house, that I can't guess any separate notes other than rose without looking at the note list. i love the aura of sophistication and luxury that the Caron perfumes give you.
I have a new EDP version, and I noticed that the spray nozzle gives rather stingy squirts, the same with Montaigne and Pour Uno Femme. So I would suggest for the dramatic effect count 2 sprays as one.

Louw
Louw

I've been trying this out from a sample vial recently and I'm completely smitten! At the moment I think it's the most beautiful scent ever - and that's a very unusual reaction for me to have to a perfume!

This is a very distinctive fragrance, which stands out strongly from the crowd of popular identikit scents. To me, after the first flush of heady florals and spice it's soft, warm and sexy in an understated way. I can really smell the incense base notes, and they smoulder quietly and insistently on my skin without begging for attention in the way that so many modern incense smells do. There's a woody note in there too, but it's not overpowering.

Everything seems perfectly balanced in this fragrance - in fact, if I'd asked Caron to design a perfume to my requirements I think it would have been something like this!!

As you can see, I'm quite delirious about my new love...in fact, I've just been scouring the internet to find a stockist offering it at a reasonable price (my love is deep but my pockets aren't!) I've finally found one, so a bottle is winging its way to me right now!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I was looking forward to trying this one; I was unfortunately disappointed....while it opened as a nice, spicy scent, within minutes all the spiciness was gone and I was left with nothing but a vague, sweet scent...oh, well.

I've never had the chance to try the original version of "Parfum Sacré" that seemed to be very opulent and way much mysterious but I've to say this reformulation is still pleasant and fashinating. A trasparent and peppery incensey rose that would also work perfectly on a man. I get the point when someone says "It seems that what used to be great is now just nice", but PS is absolutely much better than billions of other ultra-rated scents as It still has that special "extra-touch" of first class fragrances. It's unique and intriguing and even if reformulated it has an huuuuge personality. Be careful, this is not for everybody.

Rating: 8.5/10

Sassy1
Sassy1

Does this have aldehydes and they're just not listed? The top of this fragrance is very soapy, similar to Ysatis and Chanel 22 which always shouts aldehydes to me.
It is definately a scent in the classic mold of french perfumery.
A little peppery, and lots of rose.
Lalique Amethyst is very similar but with blackcurrent/pine tone which this doesn't have. Alot of the other notes are identical so that would explain it but of course this one came first.
I love the drydown and think I shall go on a search for other myrhh offerings.
I would gladly wear this one if gifted but is a little on the straight-laced and formal side so not for everyday.

Lady Love
Lady Love

The most interesting rose renditions I have ever smelled, it's quite unique and brilliantly complex.
The drydown is a lovely pepper-rose with spicies, a hint of incense and powdery vanilla.

This is not for everyone but it's definitely worth trying if you like complex scents or if you are looking for something really unique. Lasting power is pretty good, rather strong initially but after some hours it becomes a comforting, close to skin scent.

adele l
adele l

I get nothing dirty from Sacre, no skankaliciousness! (to borrow a word from awesomeness) It opens up as cedar woodshavings for the first few minutes.. I was frankly worried I'd hate it. But it soon develops into a fantastic soft cardamom incense rose, reminding me of Bond#9's Chinatown with its well-integrated, subtle spices. An ever so slight sweetness lurks underneath... So soothing and pretty.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Hi,

I consider Perfume Sacre to be like Holy/ Divine Perfum. Hmm. There is sertainly something mystical in this one. Dark scented night perfum for full moon time ;) Stays hours on my skin. Maby not to everyday wear - so I did not felt in love with Sacre imidiately. This takes some time to get to know them secrets of this scent ;D

kametkamet
kametkamet

@ awesomeness :
"the word Sacre is the French-Canadian noun for profanity having to do with sex & excrement?"
Where did you get that? I'm a French-Canadian. "Un sacre" means : a bad word, "sacrer" means: swearing. Sacré means the real meaning of the word. Sex and excrement?! Ahah, anyways! That was kind of funny :P.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(vintage EDT, splash bottle)

I'm hesitating to review this, to be honest. I bought the vintage EDT, and I don't want to share how good it is so I can keep the bottles available for myself.

This isn't an oriental spicy, it is an oriental woody. Deep, ambery incense with the faintest whisper of floral sweetness. To me this is very similar to Pour Une femme (parfum). Both are smooth, warm and ultra comforting.

Oh who am I kidding. This scent sucks. Don't try it. Don't buy it. Move on to something else. (Until I buy all the bottles i want)

janudy
janudy

This smells like Nahema went to the gym and forgot to shower! It's a very rich, spicy rose that's quite dirty on my skin. Is there civet? Maybe it's the pepper? I have tried both the vintage and an older reformulation and find very little difference on my skin. The dirty notes are emphasized more in the reformulated while the vintage is much softer in the beginning, and I smell more vanilla. The dry down of both is similar to me. While I do like the vintage better, there's too little difference for me to replace my reformulated version.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

The spicy top notes were a bit flat on me but only because my chemistry is not always cooperative with cardamom and cinnamon. But as the fragrance began to dry down it became sweeter and more enjoyable. I love what the myrhh does to the fragrance. It plays well with the rose.

The Fragrant Zebra
The Fragrant Zebra

I have to agree with Flora55. The stuff on the market now is a mere shadow of its former self. I have recently sourced a bottle in the Black and Gold box, mine is in a gold bottle in the style of the larger picture above ...this is the better version of Parfum Sacre ( pre reformulation ), and it is wonderful !!

evamoon
evamoon

An ordinary fragrance, nothing special. Although it could be pleasant to wear sometimes in winter, it is still only a honey water with sugar, nothing more.

Flora55
Flora55

I love this so much - perhaps those who find it less than wonderful are trying the reformulated version? Get some of the real thing in the black & gold box! It has no equal.

9154mf
9154mf

I actually had this on my wishlist, based purely on the all the glowing review on here! That is until today, when I received a sample of this and was sadly disappointed. The notes are vanilla, myrrh, civet, cedarwood, lemon, pepper, mace, cardamom, orange blossom, rose, jasmine, and rosewood. (according to TPC) I can pretty much smell all of these in here except vanilla, but the opening is a nasty blast of lemon and pepper with some cedarwood, then the lemon disappears and it softens into a powdery rose with some spices but NOT nice golden delicious spices, but more of a cold spice mixture (possibly the myrrh/mace?) Also the pepper never disappears on me, it's there steadily until the end. I am not impressed. The notes sound Divine, but it just didnt do it for me. I was expecting more warmth but I never got it, I couldn't sense any vanilla at all either.

lillybee
lillybee

I was intrigued by this fragrance being classified as an 'oriental spicy' many of my favourites come from (Roma, Gloria, Venise) and bought a bottle of it on ebay.com. It came in the polka dot packaging and bottle so this added to my excitement. It promised to be very feminine. And it was. In a classic, woody, insensy, powdery and slightly soapy kind of way.

Parfum Sacre is an exceptional blend which strongly reminds me of Coco (another one from the same family I like). I actually like Coco more, it's fruitier and woodier without the soapiness. Luckily the soapiness disappears after the middle notes (I'm suspecting the mimosa?) and it becomes woody and dark with a hint of powder. I use it for special occasions only and mostly in winter.

Mals86

An update: I couldn't wait for Christmas! Parfum Sacre is widely available at online discounters, where it is very, very reasonably priced. It's too bad that Caron's standard packaging for the EDP formulation is so plug-ugly... the original bottle (pictured above, still available in the EDT, if you can find it) is lovely.
Ah, well, you can't wear a bottle.

Mals86

This is just lovely. I'm not usually a fan of scents that feature roses; I picked up a sample because of the spices in the top notes. But it's not really the spices that keep my wrist glued to my nose: it's that smooth, woody rose, followed by myrrh. It is warm, elegant, womanly, and even a little sexy. The warmth of Parfum Sacre' is what makes it a cool-weather scent for me (I prefer fresh florals like freesia and peony, and citrus scents, in the summer) but I'm so glad I tried my sample vial twice. This one is on my Christmas list already, if I can wait that long!

perfumeaddict
perfumeaddict

Spicy, but dry and not overpowering or too sweet. Unlike some gourmand scents, you can wear this one when going out to dinner without overwhelming your own (or others) taste buds.

A little heavy, slightly old fashioned and not my style, but still a well-blended scent that just oozes with femininity.

Leesee
Leesee

Parfum Sacre is the osmotic equivalent of smooth jazz, a close, dusky scent with a faint hum of spice, and a base line of sultry amber. This is a tune you cannot shake, and do not want to.

essija
essija

This is strong and heavy. Winter perfume and a little goes a long way. I can't detect anything specific in it, there is alot going on. Very pretty and elegant. This could give me a headache if worn to much.. Getting soapy after drydown.. Very floral

karmicdreaming
karmicdreaming

This is the most feminine scent I own. It smells of sacred mysteries and incense, much like the inside of an Orthodox church- if that church were being run by Mary Magdalene. This is the one I turn to when I want to love being a woman, and it's equally at home with a little black dress or a tattered, snuggly sweater. It has the wonderful, heady quality of perfumes much, much older than itself. I still have a hard time believing it's less than 20 years old. Of all the scents I own, this is the one that gets noticed and complimented the most.

Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn

Exquisitely beautiful and unlike anything else I know. I love it.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Very, very beautiful and mystic smell.
I think that alike Antique Orient smelled. More according notes of Orient then Shalimar. In this perfume is fine, warm, cosy scent of incense. Yet, does it not have literalness and asexuallness as niche, modern incense smells. Sacre is extremely feminine. Vibrates mysterious shines. Sacre is so unusual, so wunderful, that I not it use in usual situations.