Designers » C » Aromatic « Groups

Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men

Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men
dislike

I have it: 666 I had it: 167 I want it: 340 My signature: 13

Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men Pictures Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men Pictures Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men Pictures Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men Pictures Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men Pictures Pour Un Homme de Caron Caron for men Pictures

Pour Un Homme de Caron by Caron is a Aromatic fragrance for men. Pour Un Homme de Caron was launched in 1934. The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Daltroff. Top note is lavender; middle note is vanille; base note is musk.

Lavender

Vanille

Musk

A Taste of Heaven
Impact Pour Un Homme
Jicky

Pour Un Homme de Caron Fragrance Reviews

maknine ezzine

You had try the vintage 2014?.. .es that he y' has a difference with the original?

Aschecte
Aschecte

Sometimes less is just more ! Pure Lavender for a total of 10-20 seconds tops. The lavender quickly fades along with a very synthetic, and indescribable to my nose scent. In comes a unique vanilla note that over the course of an hour develops into one of the most warm and inviting vanilla scents I have encountered. That to some may not be saying much, but I really like how it grows from a straight vanilla to a deep and almost Gourmand Vanilla that just makes you feel good (think comfort food). There is also more to this than the musk note in the base as well though as I said earlier I just can't describe it.... I can only guess as this scent has been around since 1934 and uses the base of Mousse de Saxe that these unique vanilla/leather/musk scents stem from this iconic compound. The lavender is so fleeting I really don't consider this a lavender scent except as I said for about 20 seconds before it evolves. Great scent at a very affordable price point though will not be for everyone.

Neodymium
Neodymium

Top notes of lavendar and something else, then fairly quickly dries down to play dough.

nero77
nero77

Lavender Heaven!

First of all, I love Lavender! I think it's so soothing and cool and aromatic and calming... and if you are like me, then this thing is Lavender Heaven in a Bottle!

Pour Un Homme de Caron is a wonderful fragrance for any man and any gentleman out there! Even though it was released 80 years ago, it doesn't smell dated! It smells classic and refined! It's basically a Lavender and Vanilla combination, with Musk in the base, and this is the same Lavender Vanilla which came from Guerlain - Jicky, and which continued until Jean-Paul Gaultier's Le Male, Dior's Eau Noire, and more recently, A Taste of Heaven by Killian. However this is the daddy of them all!

This is a classic fragrance which has a dominant, smooth, herbal Lavender note, surrounded by Sage, Rosemary, Moss, Tonka, Amber and Vanilla. The opening is bright with Lemon and Bergamot, and the heart has Rose, Rosewood and Cedarwood. What I love about it, is that it strikes a fine balance between herbal, smooth, and sweet... and in no way is it ever cloying or offensive, it's just beautifully and masterfully done!

To me, this is classic French sophistication in a bottle. Any man could wear this, at any time, at any place. It has no boundaries. The only requirement is that you love Lavender (with a little sweetness attached). I really can't see how anyone would not like this. For me, I love it! It makes me happy just to smell it anytime of day. Beautiful, beautiful stuff. Totally worth the price, and much cheaper than other "imitators" out there! Enjoy!

Refxo
Refxo

Caron closed in the 90's....
when Caron opened again under new ownership, has changed all the fragrances!
I have smell a Caron Pour Un Homme fabulous from the 50es
A Caron PUH from the 80s... Beautiful.
And Caron PUH current formula :/ ... that is lightweight and not very bright.
So, I now what do I vote? What of 1950? that of 1985? or that of 2014? They are very different.

dromidreza
dromidreza

نمیدونم دوستانی که میگن شبیه صابون گلناره!!! چی رو دقیقا بو کردن.تلفیق بسیار هنرمندانه لاوندر و وانیل .این بو رو باید رو تن یه جنتلمن حس کنین تا بفهمین یعنی چه.با گذشت سالها هنوز دوست داشتنیه و بااصالت وهمچنان به فرمانرواییش بر قلب های بانوان گرامی ادامه میده.همه قرار نیست همه عطری رو بپسندن.

tomerits
tomerits

Classic.the opening is harsh for me but as time after application goes by it's becoming more and more wearable and "edible".
the father of all lavender frag's.great.
my rank 4/5.

Knightofwands
Knightofwands

My bottle is either off, or this stuff is rank!
No, it must be off. No one would want to smell like this and I don't recall anyone smelling like this. It smells like someone has used air freshener to cover up bad smells in a nursing home!
My bottle must be off, I'm scrubbing my hand! Lol!

kanak
kanak

I would like to start with a few caveats so that no one's time is wasted. If you dont like lavender or vanilla notes, nothing here for you. If you dont like sweet, powdery perfumes,or are only into aquatic/fresh/fruity frags, walk away. If you have notions of dated/old man/your prejudice here, run away and dont look back!

You're still here? Good. Welcome to one of the best lavender vanilla combos ever blended. I could go on and on but essentially that is what Pour un Homme is and that is pretty much all that it is. It starts off a little herbal and has a green, unlit cigarette tobacco like note in the begining. I have no idea what it is since tobacco is not listed but after that it settles down into a very comfortable, slightly sweet and powdery,lavender and vanilla blend. It stays pretty much that way until some musk creeps in during the dry down. projection is restrained and longevity is a good 5-6 hours on me and my clothes smell of it the next day.
A very relaxing, sweet powdery frag, kind of dandified, from the time when men knew they were men and did not need woody notes in their frags to proclaim it so! Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, etc etc. Pour un Homme is not a frag that plays by modern rules but it's been in production since 1934 so obviously there is a market for it and with good reason. This is the reference lavender in a masculine as far as I am concerned. Might not be for everyone but if you like lavender or vanilla, this should be in your collection without question. I love it.

ShaverX
ShaverX

Smells like play dough and I like the smell of playdough but better used as a room freshener IMO

Bunino
Bunino

Masculine Shalimar, in my humble neophyte opinion.. maybe it's the vanilla. I enjoy this very much.

silentman26
silentman26

Sophisticated, rare and timeless. Fresh and strong. Musky amber background, subtle lavender and a blast of prominent vanilla. An intact formula for 80 years ... one of a kind ... ageless ... masterpiece!

lvxifer
lvxifer

This is so grandeur symphony to my nose and mind.lavender and vanilla,sweet and cool in the same time.very comfortable,nostalgic,like a summer breeze and loneliness...i usually wear pour un homme,when i remember for departed ones, loved ones who now, are no longer amongst us.

K1
K1

The smell of power, absolute power.
Lavender has never been like this before and after. This happened one in history and no one dares to uncover lavender's wild brutal sexual gravity this way.
Caron Pour un Homme, although is not the water I swim in, is an absolute masculine masterpiece. An old-school thick overcoat, leather gloves, round thin glasses wearer style-mate and today's real manly man enigmatic lady trap.

Abstrakt
Abstrakt

To all the doubting Thomas's out there who fear this might be dated: ignore the launch date. That's just when it came into the world. It hasn't gone out of the world and neither will it because it uses far too few ingredients to even risk any of them being dated. And the few ingredients it does incorporate are eternally loved and eternally appropriate. That's why you always smell delicious and fresh and never of a certain age or time. Ernest Daltroff was a genius. Viva Pour un Homme!

Merdogan1
Merdogan1

Sevenin çok abarttığı, sevmeyenin ise gereğinden fazla kötülediği bir parfüm. Genç işi değil ancak lise öğrencisi olmadığınız sürece çok da kötü olmayacaktır. Bu kokuyu kullanmaya yakıştırdığım erkek imajı ise biraz maskülen, kirli sakallı ya da yeni traş olmuşsa bile sert mizaçlı, çok parlak kıyafetler giymemiş biridir. Koku harmanını gayet yeterli kalitede buldum ve sevdim. Uygun tarzda yakışıklı bir erkek için gayet çekici olabilir. Tek eksiğiniz günümüzün moda kokularına meraklı olup da çakma parfüm ile kalite arasındaki farkı fark edebilecek bir hatun kişiye denk gelmeniz.

Not : Yorumlarımı ve özel mesajlarıma cevaplarımı sadece Türkçe olarak yapacağım. Böylece yabancı dil konusunda sıkıntı yaşayan arkadaşlara gerçekten denediğim parfümlerdeki kendi görüşlerimi paylaşmayı amaçlıyorum

burgas29
burgas29

First time - very strong -Herbal lavender alcohol
After 30 minutes - Sweet vanilla with sugar
After 4-5 hour -Musk

bouddha bleu
bouddha bleu

I'm not a vanilla or lavender lover and to my surpise this one somehow melted my heart. I love to wear it in the early autumn.

Nostalgic 30's and for me 70's, fatherly, barber shop cologne. I was in heaven when I had discovered commercial with my favourite french musician Serge Gainsbourg on YouTube. So classy, so french.

It is too simple, but somehow it makes it great, also it is a great buy, very very cheap for its class.

3,5/5

House of Caron, please come back to your roots, this is your history gem.

Danielle125
Danielle125

I've already done one bottle(50ml),within 4 weeks,you can see how much I love it.Got this with a lucky price,and it's a blind buy,a very sucessful blind buy.

I am a lavender-lover,and vanilla stands out in the first 30mins after you sprayed.what an odd conbination,what a marvelous art work!

For every occasions,your best chioce when you wanna make yourself smelled clean and warm.

Sacredsystem
Sacredsystem

Pour un Homme starts off with a beautiful lavender blast that gradually transforms into a warm, delicious, sexy, vanilla and musk finish. The simplicity of this fragrance is what makes it so beautiful and enjoyable. My father has worn Pour un Homme since I was a lad and I have always enjoyed the warm and inviting aura it conveys. One of my absolute favorites that will always be in my collection. I also use the shaving cream and after shave to enhance the classic experience.

Singularity
Singularity

Brought it blind cause I like lavender and vanilla notes and it cheap. I thouht what could go wrong but alas, the bottle I got is either spoilt or there is some weird reformulation as all I gotten is musk, musk and more musk. I do detect some lavender and vanilla notes but it is so faint and underwhelmed by the musk that the two notes are not noticeable at all.Worse off, it is musk in a bad way which my friends commented that I smell like a old man who forgetten to bath for a few days. As for longevity... luckly it does not last as long as what most people voted.. thankfully it last about 30-45mins.

Gokhanburak53
Gokhanburak53

nice lavender scent considering the price tag. There are similarities with killian a taste of heaven but TOH is deeper and have more dimension. Kilian has something special and intense but caron is great too

Q80
Q80

well, i don't know i just cant accept this one, it's actually more complex than the simple 3 main ingredients. i feel it's more annoying than beautiful. it's softly rancid. it has the rusty metallic watery smell.

iconoclast
iconoclast

This is a beautiful understated and simple fragrance made of high quality ingredients with good sillage and longevity. It has the most natural smelling lavender I've come across in a men's scent, rounded out by a lovely musky-vanilla base. It is slightly old-fashioned in my view, by is nonetheless an absolute classic and still a worthy buy. I can fully understand why it is also available in giant sized bottles of 500 mls and more.

Mancorp
Mancorp

You have to seriously love lavender to enjoy this. After numerous wearings, I've decided that I only enjoy lavender as a background note. So this is not for me.

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

I can appreciate the history and the background of this perfume, but I don't like to wear it.

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

Went for this because I love lavender. Unfortunately I couldn't get past the doughy bread thing. I tried but gave up.

Pascal
Pascal

Pour un Homme greets you with a fresh, herbal Lavender that quickly settles down to a discreet and comfortable base of vanilla and musk. I have a passion for vanilla-drydowns in masculines, but only when they’re not sweet. To date, I have never found this better implemented than in Pour un Homme.
It is one of these unpretentious minimalistic fragrances that never go out of style and that can be used day on day off without getting tired. In addition, it fits any occasion, has convincing staying power and is very reasonably priced. Give it a chance to become your steady companion!
10/10.

maab
maab

For those who appreciate lavender CPUH is the holy grail. The two main notes, lavender and vanilla, are masterfully blended.
A timeless masterpiece.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

Such a simple note breakdown but they work so well together. More like a seasoned flute and piano duo, rather than a 30 piece orchestra at a first rehearsal.

After the slightly metallic screech in the initial blast of lavender, the vanilla comes through to provide a type of romantic tenderness. Quality of the ingredients are unmatched.

Additionally, it's simplicity never fails to confront any unchecked attitude in me that thinks complex must mean better.

Pour un Homme sits gently on the skin, teaching you that composure, orderliness, and gentleness are still qualities worth pursuing.

How a fragrance can silence the snob in a person, I don't know. But Pour un Homme has been doing that for a very very long time.

edge42
edge42

I almost bought this blind and am glad I didn't. Much too literal lavender for me, a total disappointment.

Freakmotion
Freakmotion

I have worn this on very different occasions and scenarios and believe me: it's not as simple as it may be.

Despite the most natural lavender smell I have ever come across, the main player for my skin is vanilla. Sweet syrup vanilla. It's very linear, but the playdoh smell everyone gets only lasts for about 30 minutes. After that, it lasts a long time, with close to skin projection, but you feel it all day long. People near you feel it when in close range.

Quality smell and linear, but not simple. Inexpensive, also, for what you get.

You have to give it some time to understand it.

By the way, the vanilla I get of this in my skin is very similar to a mixture between the vanilla smell of Bvlgari Black and A*Men. Really weird, but good for me.

PAK
PAK

Lavender and vanilla with the combination bringing out the scent of playdough. Sorry a disappointment. Better choices out there for my precious cash....

I don't get this in anyway. Why on earth would anyone want to smell this accurately of lavender?
Lavender is a lovely soothing smell and I have to say that this is one of the most natural lavenders I've smelled. Maybe I should cut it some slack as it's been around since the 30's but I don't get it? The vanilla and musk are gentle basenotes which for my tastes just make a boring and unimaginative backdrop for the potency of lavender.
My examples being... yes this is similar to Taste of heaven but at least that has a little more interest in other notes like absinthe and prominent vanilla. Or Eau de L'occitane which again has that super realistic lavender but also has a woody, peppery, hardness to dirty up the lavender a bit.
I would never wear a fragrance so linear and even the beauty of lavender can become annoying and headache inducing after a while.
Sorry but this is yet another classic I can't abide.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I'm approaching this again with some trepidation, me not being a fan of lavender or powdery notes, and merely tolerating vanilla. Fortunately the opening lavender is already toned down enough (with powder!?) to not bother me with that sweatiness that it sometimes has, though it gets slightly worse before it gets better. However they've done it, what would normally come across as stinky armpit BO for me, becomes this strange, hollow, crisp planty aura, like a clear distillate of Christmas wreaths mixed with the sharp herbs of Yatagan. Until this point, the powder had faded away and was only detectable if I wiped the residue from the tip of my nose after sniffing. Finally, during the last gasps of the lavender, the powder is back with more vanilla. All that remains after a while is a clean, powdery vanilla, which could be perfectly unisex. It's quite surprisingly light and airy, considering how many times I feel like I've been choked to death by vanilla or powder.

One reviewer (MHV) noted below that CPUH is not a fragrance so much as a scent, which just "is", from the familiar scene of a man dilligently going about his routine, shaving and showering before work. In that role, I find this stuff much more believable than Rive Gauche, probably because it's not an exact replica of one product's scent (i.e. Barbasol coypcat). I agree that it's very conservative, but as is sometimes the case, it's so conservative, and from such a different time, that it's almost anachronistic. While I'm not a fan of all the latest releases, this follows norms that are just so different from what we'd expect today, that I'm not sure I'd find it very practical over the long term. I should have used it many, many more times before writing this. It might make a really classy room spray though, and since they've done such a good job of making a fragrance that I sort of like out of notes that I normally don't, I'll give it a thumbs up.

DSun
DSun

Based on the number of "I Love It" votes in here, I decided to give this one the old college try. I mean, this one has been going on since 1934, right?

I was disappointed.

It smells like something my governess would have worn. It does last forever, though.

I decanted some into an 8ml atomizer and added 2 drops of bergamot, plus a drop each of lemongrass and cedar. I'll know within a few days how it's going to work out.

N.B. - It's a harsh first encounter, but prepare for a dry down that's simple, subtle and elegant. (Well, for me, too simple...)

AND...don't get stingy. One spray to the brachial pulse didn't do it for me. I needed four.

MrStinky
MrStinky

After reading so many great reviews this got here, I purchased a very small bottle on ebay.

Am I missing something? I'm a 51 yr old male & this smells like something my grandmother would have worn.

This stuff smells so dated...I can easily picture a US doughboy bringing a bottle of this home to his sweetheart at the end of WW1 and it was actually launched in 1934.

I can't believe there's actually a market for this stuff.

Karenin
Karenin

I´ve turned my nose to “Pour Un Homme de Caron” because it´s a classic masculine fragrance which, in spite of (no doubt) numerous reformulations, has stood the test of time, moving effortlessly across the decades and into the future.

When it comes to its composition, “Pour Un Homme de Caron” is a straightforward fragrance. The two notes in the limelight here are lavender and vanilla. I detect a soft musky background in the base as well. The scent is light and unobtrusive, yet it has a pretty decent longevity. The lack of complexity legitimately attracts some criticism. I myself, for instance, prefer more full-bodied perfumes in the colder months of the year. But let´s face it. Aren´t there times when many of us find comfort in unpretentious, well-composed perfumes? As far as this function is concerned, “Pour Un Homme de Caron” does wonders.

While there are heaps of fragrances that are claimed to be “timeless”, “Pour Un Homme de Caron” rightfully deserves this attribute. Not tied to any particular period, it still oozes refinement and natural elegance, and can be worn with a smart suit as well as a T-shirt and jeans. In my view, it works perfectly on a crisp spring or early summer morning, making the already fine day just a little bit more special... Happy 80th birthday, “Pour Un Homme de Caron”!

gishgamesh
gishgamesh

Initially smells a bit weird, the combination of spice and lavender reminds me of salami! The lavender is very full on at first, its almost entirely lavender and nothing else. Gradually the lavender recedes into the back seat and is replaced by a delicate, slightly sweet powdery vanilla musk.

I am a woman and would have no trouble classifying this as unisex.

Overall a nice affordable scent suitable as an everyday signature for those who don't like loud fragrances that declare their presence to all within a ten foot radius.

A little boring, a little tame, but pleasant.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Vintage smells like current and both smell like Kilian Taste of Heaven. Kilian may have a bit of an edge with ingredient quality but for the price you cant go wrong with Caron.

The end product to me does not smell like the sum of its parts but very pleasant none the less.

rod7elfo
rod7elfo

My favourite fragance, top 1 is A taste of heaven... I was traveling to Costa Rica and decide to smell this one. I didnt remember that many reviews talk about that TOH and This one smell as the same.
When i smell i get an amazing and good impression. The similarity is amazing. Really.
But some huge diference:

Kilian- 50ml -300dlls /5hr
Caron - 200ml - 90dlls /1hr

I have kilian,s 150ml an Caron's 200ml

Even when are really closere, Kilian's has something speciall.
So my decision are: Caron for office day
kilian special days

;)

houstcs
houstcs

I find this opening really hard to handle, fortunately it only last about 2 minutes for me. The rest all through the dry down reminds me of something you would eat, like a pie maybe. It's good, but not something I could wear often. I have a 5ml decant and will use it eventually but will likely not use often. I imagine 75 years ago this was amazing, even 10 years ago.

Aafridi
Aafridi

Caron Pour Un Homme is a classy, sporty and masculine fragrance with the initial burst of lavender and in the dry down vanilla captures and delivers. This perfume is simple but very well blended and interestingly I haven't noticed any alcohol like all other fragrances appears in the very first spray. I think Caron Pour Un Homme is created for a sportsman who is the winner. After winning the game and before someone hugs you, you are already hugged with Caron Pour Un Homme.

All season wearable but much better for summer/spring. The longevity and sillage is great.
Rating: 7.5/10

manzoor86
manzoor86

start the poetry of perfumery with this stuff,a fragrance of class and elegance,it tells a story,a story that was forgotten long before,its the story of untold sacrifices which touches your heart smoothly,starts off with the crispy lavender giving it a touch of a cold fragrance and then the heart unwinds the beauty with the creamy notes of vanilla.a lavender vanilla combo that stays day long on your skin,another heart winning fragrance from the house of Caron on just 90 DHS.
thank you Caron.

cytherian
cytherian

I've had this (vintage EdT and aftershave) for a couple of weeks and finally managed to put together some thoughts. Initially I wasn't all that warm about it, but now that it has worked on me for some time I feel differently. I have to say that this is the most sublime and serene male fragrance I've come across. It really could be worn by a woman too. But there's a lack of sweetness that makes it more appealing for men.

I'm not a fan of vanilla in fragrances (like to eat it though!) but in CPuH it is beautifully balanced with lavender and musk. Not too musky, not too vanilla, and just enough lavender. Elegant simplicity. Leaves you feeling fresh/clean. Longevity is somewhat short as this is more of a skin scent than a cologne/EdT, but moisturize first and layer... and you'll get a good 8 hours--just enough for the day. Or, carry a small spray bottle with you. And yes, sillage is rather close. This is a scent for you, not for people surrounding you. ;-)

I haven't tried the new formulation, but I'm told it is fairly close and still quite nice (and of course, cheaper). Vintage wise, there does seem to be a small but fairly steady flow of inventory. One member here told me he layers both vintage and new. 9.1/10 for vintage.

ADDENDUM:
On my recent frag-crawl through lower Manhattan, I had the chance to sample "A Taste of Heaven" by Kilian at Aedes. It was my favorite among the 5 other Kilian frags I'd sampled. Is it a clone of CPuH? I'd say no... but more intense and sweeter. If TOH is a parfum, CPuH is a cologne. I'd rather just layer more CPuH than go the expensive of TOH. :-)

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

Opening is not pleasant and a little herbal. After about 30 mins it quickly dries down sweet vanilla amber, which is very reminiscent of the dry down of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens (without the spiciness). I'm not sure if they had given me decant of Impact Pour Un Homme Caron instead as amber is not listed in Pour Un Homme de Caron. Projection and longevity are poor on my skin.

Elen70
Elen70

I love it. My only problem is the longevity, but i use it for nights - not sexy, but very calm and clean comfort-scent. I think it is rather unisex than men's perfume. Its price is very low, but the quality is high. It is good for every day, every night :)
9/10 - just because of the longevity.

AZJeff
AZJeff

I had this years ago in a splash bottle. I bought it in Germany. I almost forgot about this cologne until I saw on Fragrantica,and other places. I started to recognise it the more I saw the pic of the bottle and also knowing what the fragrance notes are. It has a strong vanilla,lavender scent. I just don't care for it,but I tried to wear it years ago. I think it's too much vanilla for me in it. I'm not a big fan of a lot of vanilla. Some vanilla in a drydown is ok for me.example would be "Habit Rouge" by Guerlain. Both of these could pass as unisex frags.due to the sweet vanilla in them.

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

Pour un Homme deserves respect for the man it surely delivers to me.

The lavender opening is quite medicinal and deceiving, by the way it makes me think of nothing but a cold and plain person, that kind of guy you see on the street and judge as unattractive and nothing special. No mystery, no wit, no charm, nothing but medicinal lavender. So, if it was to judge this fragrance by its top notes, I would be as unfair to her as to that guy on the street.

Once the lavender gradually starts to mingle with the vanilla heart, it happens in a most intriguing and intelligent way, showing a man who's not cold or plain at all. This heart completely embraces me in a mostly vanilla and partially lavender cloud that is never cloying. It is gentle, warm and deep. This cloud is like an aura that last for hours and makes me think of giving a hug or receiving one from a big and tall person, who's respectable and intelligent.

Maybe I'm anosmic to the musk in here, or maybe I'm not trained enough to get it, but I'm sure it takes part in that magic that only Pour un Homme can deliver.

Again, respect. Favorite!

AZ
AZ

I a nice opening I really loved the opening with it's simple Lavender smell.

Lavender is always a smell of relaxation and comfort as they also use it's oil is used in alot of message parlor.

I just wish if the smell of the Lavender would have stayed longer and would not change after 1min of putting.

It would have been my signature perfume if it Lavender smell stayed longer.

Endymion
Endymion

So I finally have a bottle of Caron Pour Un Homme.
But man, what a disappointment! All these raving reviews...
This is simple, which is not a bad thing, but man, this is not a "perfume"!
Plain and very strong raw lavender and vanilla. That's all. Not even masculine, only natural.
It's just like the smell of a fabric softener or a room freschener (bottled in a glass bottle).
Not that it's a bad smell but it's not something I want to use to scent my skin.

fragscape
fragscape

I want to start off my review by explaining where I come from with fragrances and why I love them.

I cant speek for everyone here on Fragrantica when I say this, but im sure others feel the same.

Fragrance for me, and throughout my life, has always been an escape from the real world. When I wear any of the fragrances in my wardrobe, I put on a persona,a life, a theme, making that day a little more interesting than what it would have normally been.

Caron Pour Un Homme does this for me to the max.

It just so happends that when I first became aquainted with PUH, my wife was really into the "Downton Abbey" series (And still is).
As I watched the Episodes with her and met all the different characters I couldnt help but think "What would it smell like in that house?/ What whould they smell like?"
Really enjoying the characters of Lord Grantham and Mathew Crawley, I wanted to find the scent that would fit them perfectly.

Looking into my fragrance collection I found a good group of fragrance that could fit the bill.
(Nothing from that time period but fits the theme)
Polo Green
Eau Sauvage
Safari
Guerlains Vetiver
ect......

Though they are great fragrances and do fit the bill for me, they weren't the perfect fragrances. Until I looked in a small corner of my cabinet and saw three samples of PUH.

I, like many, was put off by the opening notes of Lavender. Felt really old (PUH is far from old, it just felt like it at the time). But I wasn't mature enough in fragrances to really appreciate it for what it was when I first ordered it.

In a few adjectives I'd describe it as:
Noble
Edwardian
Elegant
High Class
Simple (Humble)
Vanilla and Lavender

Now, wearing it and watching downton abbey completely adds to the experience of the smell.
And that is why I love fragrance. Everytime I put this beautiful fragrance on (In my mind) I become a high class englishman with an estate like that of downton abbey or biltmore (in North Carolina). It raises the spirit and puts a little nobilty in your step. (I know.... Im crazy right)

I know I havent described the fragrance in detailed notes, but anybody can say vanilla,lavender, and musk. I dont judge fragrances by how they smell, rather... how they feel.

lisa.vokorina
lisa.vokorina

Let me repeat the offical notes:

Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon

Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood

Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss

This is the ultimate comfort scent. So well-blended, so smooth!

It is on the masculine side, with lavender, sage and wood accord, but I can't see why it has to be marketed this way! These macho man posters have nothing to do with the actual smell. Love it.

Brain-in-a-vat
Brain-in-a-vat

If that bearded, glaring Neanderthal used in their advertising came running at me with his kinky s&m rugby ball dressed in that sinister evening wear, would I tackle him?

No...I'd run away as fast as I could!

ali..khalili
ali..khalili

/صابونی اما خوشبو/ بازی لاوندار و وانیل در این ادکلن .
شاید در زمان لانچ شدن این عطر این عطر برای جوانان اون زمان راه نجاتی بوده از رایحه رز که گریبانگیر بسیاری از عطرهای قدیمی بوده است.
با این حال هنوز هم بوی خوب و با اصالتی دارد پخش بو خوبی دارد.باینکه ارامیس 900 و این شبیه هم نیستند ولی این را به ارامیس900 ترجیح میدهم
اصیل
مصمم
در عین حال مهربان و جنتلمن
3.5/5

hMASSIMO
hMASSIMO

una classica lavanda senza tempo,non impegnativo ma pur sempre importante !

petrus
petrus

Parfum de bonheur.

Senteur 10/10 Le jeu entre la lavande, la vanilla et le musc est impressionnant est une merveille. Ce parfum est un parfum de jour de travail et de ville que j'utilise actuellement par temps ensoleillé au printemps et en automne et pluvieux en été par une temperature entre 10 et 25 degrés. Une merveille matinale indémodable.

Sillage 2/2 Ni discret, ni envahissant, son sillage est tout à fait en adéquation à l'usage que je fais de ce parfum.

Masculinité 2/2 C'est clairement un parfum d'homme sans que ce soit un parfum très sexué. C'est le parfum de l'homme d'action ayant confiance en lui : une présence que l'on remarque sans être intrusif et pas seulement à cause de son parfum.

Longévité 1.5/2 et évolution 4/4. Son évolution est remarquable puisque la lavande tonique cède le pas à une vanille musquée chaleureuse. Toute réapplication est un bonheur pour faire revivre ce jeu entre tonicité et chaleur et faire revivre un brin de soirée estivale et provençale en tout lieu et en toute saison ! Le tout petit défaut étant qu'on aimerait qu'il tienne un tout petit peu plus que 3 heures, peut-être - mais c'est un parfum vraiment pour la journée.

Total 19.5/20 Chef d'oeuvre.

Pour Un Homme de Caron is such a modern scent, not unlike Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male. It's that sweet, vanillary lavender that has me in a trance.

If I had my way, all men would own at least one lavender scent. I just love the way this note smells on a man's skin. With that being said, I love the way it smells on me too. I'm half inclined to buy myself a bottle of Pour Un Homme de Caron. Why should guys have all the fun?

I realise that some men may be turned off by the sweetness of this fragrance, even the somewhat powdery, musky base may act as a deterrent. That's understandable. Caron Yatagan is so rugged and manly when compared to Pour Un Homme de Caron, they're complete opposites.

Pour Un Homme de Caron is an incredibly soothing scent, perfect for the warmer weather. I think the scent is unique enough to turn a few heads, and is even something that could interest the ladies. Take note boys.

I know a few women who wear and own Pour Un Homme de Caron, and honestly I will more than likely be joining them. This scent is too good to pass up. It's a must for all lavender fans.

Although Caron is considered niche, it's not a house with outrageous price tags. Pour Un Homme de Caron is very affordable, especially for something of such high quality.

CaughtJester
CaughtJester

Caron Pour Un Homme is elegant, sophisiticated and refined in its simplicity. Lavender and vanilla fade gradually into musk, exuding maturity and warmth.

The Story:

Pour Un Homme greets you with a warm bear hug, stepping in out of the chill of winter. The aromatic lavender exudes spice, sweetened and softened by the vanilla. He is undeniably masculine, generous of spirit and good with kids. He has a labrador at home, goes for a run in the misty winter mornings and truly loves his wife. Pour Un Homme reads classic fiction, asks himself the big questions, and isn't afraid of the answers.

The simple structure of this cologne does not make it boring. Far from it, it makes it honest, trustworthy. This is a grown man's cologne. A man in his 20's could wear it, but only if he was mature. A teenager would seem ridiculous, like a child in his dad's suit, wearing something as sophisticated as this.

Longevity is better in cold weather for this, lasting 5-6 hours, and projection is about arm's length after the first hour.

Put simply: I love it. It's unpretentious, elegant and honest. If you can pull it off, there is no danger of seeming like you're trying too hard. It exudes warmth and maturity.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

A bit like Marmite this one. You either love it or hate it! I DO love it!
If you are into lavender and vanilla, then this is for you, and the blend evolves like a barbershop smell: very manly, almost for a mature man of age!
It is one of my French favourites I like splashing myself with after my shower in a cold winter evening, before I snuggle into my favourite bathrobe.
A very personal perfume you almost do not want to share with anyone, but yourself...

kenyon66
kenyon66

I'm not a scent guy--I don't grasp the top notes/bottom notes descriptions, but I can probably talk in terms other non-expert guys can understand. Pour un Homme is basically vanilla & lavender, but not girly, and not that soapy lavender smell (yuk). I have gotten that Play-Doh comparison (I don't get it myself) by one woman, but she still loved it.

It's understated. It speaks, doesn't shout. It doesn't precede you into a room and it doesn't linger in the elevator after you've gotten out. You have to have somebody get right up next to you to smell it, which is pretty much why I wear a fragrance.

There is nothing else like it = Nothing. Else. Like. It. One of the quintessential scents of France--what French guys actually wear. Truly classic, not trendy. Probably better for a professional guy in his 40's, not a club kid in his 20's.

Final verdict = It's awesome.

Cheadle

I have bought the classsic version, the bottle was nothing like the above pic. It was dammned ugly like something to keep spices in the kitchen cabinet and I had never heard of Caron, had no internet access back then so with virtually no way to confirm my finding except the store owner insisting that every fragance in stock was designer. I let my olfactory lobes guide me and upon spritzing I immedaitely knew I was on to something (the store was closing and clearing all items so i could sample at will.) There were other classics I recognised like Nina Ricci, Lagerfeld for men and half a bottle of something that smelled strong and manly.. i didnt care who had been using it I grabbed it and all the others). Years later I would see the new bottle of Caron in an upscale Mall in Dubai though it is not a bad rendition, the drydown is simply not as persisitent as the classic. IMO I still think its a serious fragrance from a respected House that helps the wearer project integrity, high intellect and authenticity. You just sense that the wearer will surely and not forcibly convey his authority. People have remarked that the drydown smells like a clean baby hmm.. strange... dont babies always get what they want???

amirabbas
amirabbas

I've read about this old fragrance in Luca Turin's book. I gave it a try. It’s beautiful but at the same time it's very old style perfume.
It's the simplest perfume that I've ever tested. Just three note exist in this one.
As others wrote here it start with lavender, next it goes to sweet vanilla and at the end it dries down to musk.
The only thing that stops me to use it is that it reminds me of my childhood. When I was around eight years old I remember that all the soaps and other bath shampoos had exactly the same lavender note. Everyone was smelling like this after taking bath in the past.

The projection is acceptable and it's around 2 to 3 hours. sillage is moderate and longevity is good on my skin (around 5-6 hours).

I think it's suitable for men over 40.

این عطر خیلی قدیمیه و شاید پدر یا پدربزرگ هاتون ازش استفاده می کردن. در موردش تو کتاب لوکا تورین خوندم و اونجا هم بهش نمره 5 از 5 داده بود. دنبالش بودم تستش کنم.
بوی قشنگی داره ولی خیلی خیلی سبکش قدیمیه.
یکی از ساده ترین عطرهایی هست که تا حالا تست کردم. کلا سه تا نت داخلش هست. اول با اسطوخودوس شروع میشه و که بودی ملایمی داره بعد از مدتی اسطوخودوس خیلی ضعیف میشه و بوی وانیل شروع میشه و بعد از بوی وانیل هم میره سراغ مشک. همین !!
تنها چیزی که اجازه نمیده ازش استفاده کنم اینه که منو یاد بچگی هام می ندازه. اگر متولد دهه پنجاه یا شصت باشید قطعا حمام عمومی رو یادتون میاد. بچه که بودم وقتی حمام عمومی می رفتم همین بو اونجا استشمام میشد. البته بوی خود حمام این نبود. همه صابون ها و شامپوها این سبک بو رو داشتند.
بوی صابون گلنار هم نمیده. بوی اون صابون سفیدهایی رو میده که شبیه به استخون بود :))) ولی در کل همه بعد از استحام و خروج از حمام بوی مشابه با این داشتند. برای همین اگر استفاده کنید و ملت بهتون گفتن تازه از حموم اومدی بیرون تعجب نکنید.

پخش بوش حدود دو سه ساعت هست و بعد از اون بو ضعیف و نزدیک به پوست میشه. روی پوست من هم تا پنج شش ساعتی می مونه.

فکر میکنم بیشتر به درد آدم های بالای 40 سال و بابا بزرگ ها بخوره تا جوان های حال حاضر

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

I bought after smelling some really incredible lavender growing at a gas station. I don't know what kind exactly or I'd try to buy to grow at home. So I was really feeling a need for a lavender fragrance. Got Pour Un Homme, an older bottle, and of course I was disappointed. But it is great for what it is.

amore9111
amore9111

Will first I thought this is a classic frag....,and realy I like those types of perfumes ...and also a love lavender in fragrances...but I was shocked by this fragrance it is simply raw lavender ,very sharp and untolerable at all ,then very sweat vanilla pops up ,and the lavender comes down ..at this middle note I can tolerate the scent ,but then the lavender goes totally and you lift with very very very sweat vanilla that I hate ...still a classic fragrance but really I do not recommendthis perfume at all especially if you are a collector and your nose is mature ,, you will find this one simple ,boring,and just a simple essential oils lavender..vanilla and musk in some alcohol nothing interest me
Scent.....3/10
Longevity 3-4 hrs

ppokpoon
ppokpoon

This fragrance smells fresh and old-fashioned but classic and timeless. Its scent is not overtly strong, with the lavender smell to the front. I've been looking for this kind of scent for a long time -- a scent for a fully grown man. It is, in my opinion, suitable for any occasion, especially for daily wear. This is an excellent fragrance at a reasonable price.

sussex2

Having read some of the recent reviews here I felt that I had to comment.

Since purchasing my bottle of Pour un Homme I have considered it to be one of the safest and most likeable of men's fragrances. I was surprised to read that some people have such a strong negative reaction to it.

It is understandable for someone who doesn't like lavender of course. But for lavender lovers I had always thought that this was as good as it gets. I have a bottle of Caldey Island Lavender which smells about as close to standing in the middle of a lavender field in full bloom as I have experienced. Pour un Homme has the same lavender but softened with a musky vanilla and a hint of spice.

However, I respect and accept that people have their own opinions and perceptions. I certainly would not be as ignorant as to say that a person is wrong for not liking this fragrance. In fact I would go as far as to say that they are very intelligent and very good looking with a great sense of style. If anyone would like to get rid of this disgusting liquid please send it my way. I will gladly dispose of the horrible stuff for you.

9-na
9-na

The scent's lavender and wormwood on my skin. I enjoy it a lot when scents are like this.

jht4060
jht4060

I love Caron Yatagan and Troisieme Homme so I went ahead and bought this blind. Unfortunately I don't like it at all. It is big and bold as expected but the lavender note smells weird to me. I like lavender, especially as the sharp floral top note moderates, and I own a few lavender oils and a lavender absolute (my favorite). Caron Pour un Homme doesn't smell much like them - it seems to have exaggerated the sharp floral part of lavender and added something tartly citric and sweet. The combination is unpleasant to me. Probably something strange about my olfactory receptors since many others love this scent.

marioslg3

i have a 200ml bottle full full, 150ml shower gel and 150 ml body cream of this...if someone is interested, we can swap with something else.

natrance

This does not sit well on my skin. Blind buy, bought a 4.2oz and sprayed 3 times...will sell, pm me

hadi2073
hadi2073

گفته دوستانی که میگن بوی صابون گلنار میده بسیار برایم خنده دار بود!!! به هیچ وجه شباهتی به صابون نداره و در نت ابتدایی بویی شبیه دارچین داره که رفته رفته کم میشه در کل بسیار ادکلن خوشبوییست

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Yes, I know... one of the greats. But I just don't like it at all. I guess I'm not a lavender-vanilla guy. A disappointment. In fact, I'm a bit surprised by how much I dislike it!

And yes, I agree, it does end up smelling reminiscent of Play-Doh.

My wife was surprised I allowed this on my wrist as it's more for her.

sussex2

I think I have found my own personal Holy Grail of fragrances. As usual the most beautiful products result from tastefully matching a small number of high quality ingredients. For me lavender and vanilla bring out the best in one another. This pairing, resting on a gentle musk, feels complete and perfect without the possibility of further improvement.

I feel that I will likely never experience another fragrance that wins me over so completely. However, in the words of Morrissey, “Oh, not until the next time”. This fragrance is surely sweet and tender but certainly no hooligan.

natrance

I couldn't put my finger on it...but it has the initial blast of lavender of Kilians, yet the vanilla becomes immediately prominent...Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille!!! Interesting...a quality mixture of Frederic Malle, Kilian, and Guerlain!

vahid333
vahid333

کلا به نظر من مهمتر از همه اینه که خود آدم وقتی عطری رو استفاده می کنه ازش لذت ببره و اطرافیان در درجه های بعدی قرار دارند
یه عطری با این اوصاف به آدم اعتماد به نفس میدن
اینم از اون دست کارهاست که به من اعتماد به نفس می ده

Na0
Na0

I don't know how its perfume evolves in time, as its longevity, sillage and how it looks on me.

BUT...

I felt it in a blotting paper and... What to say ?
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ! That is pure lavender for me !

It should have been called "Lavande pour Homme de Caron". If you love lavender scent, then, go for it ! Don't ever think to try it before !

amer1212
amer1212

Nice classic niche elegant soft light middle power scent the opening is lavender & citrus then in middle is vanilla & cedar then the base musky & vanilla I give it all 9/10 its perfumery legend try it and you win (made in heaven)!!!!

Deefit
Deefit

Last week I ordered a 4,5ml mini of this. The notes are pretty clear. I like the vanille and musk, but the lavender I don't like. If anybody is interested in the miniature, let me know.

pronose
pronose

simply the king of lavender! a timeless scent and so unique and sexy to wear!

rockets
rockets

Caron pour homme fragrance is soft, it is a robe soaked in lavender and vanilla sprinkled with talcum powder, a fresh value with its corresponding hot, the moon is the silver and the gold of the sun, one of the great classics: scratchy and dusty equally to an amazing result, if someone has in mind the men's Prada, that's why he is the ancestor ... in the thirties had nothing to teach anyone.
fantastic

merezvan دوست عزیز، جناب
بنده وقتی رفتم برای خرید، تنها نبودم. خانمم همراهم بود. ایشون هم دقیقا همین نظرو داشتن. خود فروشنده هم تعجب کرد که بین اون همه عطر چرا اینو انتخاب کردم. حتی بهم گفتش این عطری نیستش که بدرد سن شما بخوره. بیشتر به درد پیرمردها میخوره
از نظر من بوی این عطر خیلی دِمُدِ هستش. به هرحال این عطریه که 80سال پیش، و بر اساس سلیقه مردم آنزمان طراحی شده
اتفاقا اگه شما دقت کنین از نظر رنگ هم شباهت عجیبی بین این عطر و رنگ صابون گلنار هستش(البته شاید شباهت تصادفی باشه). ولی از نظر ماندگاری فوق العاده هستش. تقریبا 14 -15 ساعت روی دستم بوشو حس میکردم

instantjim
instantjim

I got a 200ml bottle of this late last year and have worn this fragrance a great deal since. I was disappointed with the longevity of it at first. I knew from messing around with essential oils that lavender is one of the quickest notes to disappear, so I compared pure lavender essential oil with Pour un Homme. It was then that I came to appreciate just how long this magnificent fragrance lasts. This and Guerlain Vetiver I have worn more the last three months than any other fragrances: vetiver is to Guerlain Vetiver as Lavender is to Pour un Homme. Both are crisp, clean expressions of their predominant notes and wearable in any context: night/day/summer/winter.

mrs2241
mrs2241

حرف هر دوی شما دوستانم درسته....شانل بلو-آلور-پلاتینیوم ...کارای خوبی هستن اما من وقتی بو میکنم یه کار 100% کلیشه ای رو حس میکنم...گر چه قبلا جز بهترینها بودن واسم...

merezvan
merezvan

بعضی وقا بعضیا یه حرفایی میزنند ادم شاخ در میاره البته هر کس سلیقه خواص خودشو داره اما این ادکلن یه عجوبست همین.

keyvan2013

تعریف دوستانو که خوندم مشتاق شدم بخرمش ولی وقتی تستش کردم تنها چیزی که ازش فهمیدم این بود که انگار صابون گلنار دارم بو میکنم. دقیقا بوی صابون گلنارمیده. حتما قبل از خرید تست کنین

MrMookie
MrMookie

Classical minimalistic perfume ART ! Period!

The sharp real lavender is there to wake you up in the morning refreshing you after your shower and the warm vanilla is there to sooth your soul and keep you calm through out the day.
The combination of these 2 extremities creates of us graciousness gentlemans.
Its mind yoga for your nose.
keywords of Caron pour un Homme :
Gentle,smooth,dandy,laidback,balanced (fill in the rest)

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Initially I did not love this one. I found the lavender in the current formulation too bitter in the drydown. It smells a bit too much like the lavender sachets I put in my drawers and closets. However, after using this more as a home fragrance I am finding I like it more. I am now looking for a vintage of this fragrance which I have heard is amazing.

randy.devost1
randy.devost1

I agree. It ends up smelling like Play-Doh if you spray too much. It becomes a bit nauseating otherwise. I feel like this is one of those perfumes that you have to spray into the air in front of you, and then walk into. Personally, that's about as much as I can stand. It's a nice touch of perfume.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

A timeless originality, Pour Un Homme has one or the best lavender in the perfumery, this is real perfumery.
The chord with lavender through herbal, with a point in vanilla, sweet and pleasant can turn it into a comfortable aroma, gives me peace, like a feather.
The musk comes with a velvet wave in full, superb!

Aerides
Aerides

My mother got this for my dad this Christmas. She mainly got it as a joke because because her name's Caron. It's a very classic scent and the lavender and vanilla are very distinctive, it's also very clean smelling but that might be because I use a lot of lavender soap.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

Bought this after reading these reviews in search of something retro that still works.
I found it - a wonderful LAVENDER and vanilla scent ... but I also get a nice sniff of benzoin which gives it a soft creamy edge and ties everything together nicely. The white musk is milky in the dry-down - but the lavender is the power player in this one.
Sample it before buying if you are not a fan of lavender.
It's like standing next to someone who had just bathed in lavender water while eating a fresh under-baked slice of bread with a glass of warm milk.
A one way ticket to comfort fragrance city!

TheLumineri
TheLumineri

I pretty much enjoy almost anything with Lavender or Vanilla...especially when used correctly together....after all the positive reviews I've read here, I went ahead and blind-purchased a 180ML....no, that was not a typo....16oz of AWESOME! So SOOTHING! It's become my go-to bedtime scent....FOREVERRRRRR....hahahahahahahahaaaaa... :)

missan
missan

I have exactly the one on picture #2 top right. It´s a splash bottle with a black plastic cap. I believe it´s two formulations away.

It´s a very natural and smooth lavender/vanilla with some very soft musk. In the background are hiding some faint woods.
I find it very, very nice, A lovely grooming concept beyond trends, or maybe I would want it to be.
9,5/10

One thing with all Caron is they are very, very long lasting, they might even smell better the next day.

brettintx
brettintx

I just don't get it. This was a blind buy for me. (6.7 oz) Considering the low cost, it didn't seem worth it to bother with a sample. So, admittedly, I'm relatively new to this game, but...it smells of a clean men's room. I know this scent gets a lot of love here, and that's why I tried it, but it's not for me. That said, I also ordered Caron's 3rd Man (le Troisemme Homme) which I absolutely love. Selling the Pour Homme on eBay. Will blind buy Yatagan with the proceeds.

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

This smells like a dated and horrible bathroom spray. I tossed it out YUK!

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

One of my go-to fragrances when I can't think of what to wear (and I'm a woman, btw). I wear the vintage version with the black plastic cap (1960s?), which is more herbal than the current vintage. Clary sage top notes that burn off quickly to lavender and eventually to vanilla, remaining smooth and creamy throughout. This is a very gentle fragrance that makes me feel clean and happy, and it lasts for hours. It goes with food, it goes in the open air or in the house. It never gets above its station, it's just a lovely fragrance. Why it's a masculine is beyond me, I must say - it's softer than Habanita, for instance. I've tried this on one wrist with Gris Clair on the other and they couldn't be more different. Gris Clair is addictive but far more of a challenge with its smoky toilet-cleaner topnotes, while the Caron is far better behaved and as comfy as a worn-in pair of beige suede shoes. Yummy.

reza115
reza115

با سلام
حدود 30 تا 35 سال پیش بچه که بودم پیش یه دکتری میرفتم.یادمه ادکلن خیلی خوشبویی میزد.بوی شبیه ویفر مینو داشت.همیشه مطبش این عطرو داشت.سالها گذشته است ولی ذهنم بدنبال ان ادکلن همیشه در حال جستن است.نمی دانم چطوری باید انرا بیابم.چیزی شبیه پیداکردن سوزن در انبار کاه می ماند.از دوستان میخواهم اگر کمکی می توانند مرا راهنمایی کنند.اما پورانهوم را هم خیلی دوست دارم.حدود 10 سالی هست که مرتب دارمش.

marioslg3

indeed, this is very close to Kylian taste of heaven....i was impressed by the similarities....just Kylian is a bit smoother, stronger and of higher quality but taking into consideration the difference in price, Caron is a very winner!

d_l_esmond
d_l_esmond

Lavender, lavender, lavender. But overall, quite decent, straightforward and pleasant. I guess the simplicity of the formulation is a reflection of its origins as an older fragrance for men. It is quite linear and one dimensional, although the lavender is nicely rounded and softened by the vanilla without becoming too sweet. It had quite good staying power on me, with moderate projection. Don’t expect complexity or any mystery or remembrance of things past – all you get is lavender.

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

While I adore the Caron line, Pour Un Homme is just not for me. Let me explain. It is not the quality in question but my sort of distaste of lavender. It just takes me back to my childhood where somewhere along the line it conjures up doctor visits/ medical offices and musty closets (moth balls)! Not sure why. But there it is. Lavender is just not sexy!

That being said, if you have to go lavender Pour Un Homme is probably as good as it gets. The only other one that I put up there is By Kilian's Taste of Heaven (which I went through two samples and still don't get).

For those that love lavender, this is as good as it gets.

Sillage is real good along with great longevity.

I agree with those who say things like this smells like burnt plastic, but only for the recent formulation. I have the Les Plus Belles Lavandes EdT version (the liquid is lightly tinted with a dull green), which I don't think was produced beyond the 1960s. I tried the new one several times over the course of the last four years but hated it every time (seemed way too "synthetic), but I decided to give the vintage formulation a chance based upon my experiences with these old formulations.

As in just about all other cases, the vintage version is great. It is quite simple, like the new version, but the "complexity" comes from the ingredient quality in this case. The lavender is crisp and clear, and while it does have a bit of that burnt quality that one can find with lavender notes, this is light and natural, making it more compelling. The vanilla also smells great, and over time it becomes more prominent while the lavender becomes less prominent. Eventually, they sort of "meet in the middle." There's also a bit of an animalic quality but it's smoother than in the new version.

As an aside, anyone who thinks that Caron would sell something with the quality of the vintage version I have at their current prices doesn't understand the costs involved (this is based upon industry people I've spoken to) so keep that in mind when you see a "great deal" on a reformulated classic. I can swap up to half ounce decants of my vintage version for those who are really interested in it. It's fairly strong for a few hours and then becomes a skin scent. Also over time it takes on a bit of a powdery quality.

My old review (which was of the new version): This is another one I tried to like over a period of years now, yet I always have come to the same conclusions. After top notes that I don't like at all (not "natural" smelling to me), the vanilla and lavender come together as a "blob" that is irritating (I'm guessing due to ingredient quality). Later on, there is an animalic aspect, and then later a floral/woody one I perceive as clearly "synthetic." I wonder if higher-quality ingredients would make a difference here, or it may be that it's just too simple for me. And on top of this, I think of women's fragrances when I smell this, even though I wear a bunch of women's fragrances myself (they don't strike me as especially "feminine"). This is "old school" too, so if you don't like those kinds of fragrances I don't see a need to sample this one. By contrast, I'd much rather wear Roadster, which replaces the lavender with mint and has a few more notes that are clear. It's also more "natural" smelling to me, and not "old" (and certainly not "feminine" smelling either). Third Man is more interesting (with no "off" notes) to me, though it's also rather simple, so I suggest sampling that one before CPUH if you want to sample Caron's men's fragrances and want something in the sweet/floral area. If you have skin chemistry that really "eats up" a fragrance, perhaps this can work for you, but for me, a fragrance can't get much more cloying than this!

d04m022011
d04m022011

Não acho nada de especial. Apenas agradável. Não sei porque tanta fama.

amilcar
amilcar

To the brazilian friends: that's the old Rastro smell, but with the sillage, projection and longevity of a real classic perfum. The vanilla is way more proeminent on this one, altough for this reason carries a bitter vanilla close-to-the-skin smell. A true classic for a sunny day.

jpinson
jpinson

To me this a true classic masterpiece that I will soon buy. Some how it manages to be very clearly an old fragrance yet works perfectly well in the modern day (I am 29).

I know of no other fragrance that is so clear in it's form. The pyramid says lavender-vanilla-musk and that is exactly what I detect. Nothing overly complicated, no subtle nuances, just those three components one after the other.

It should also be noted that to me this is the best (most realistic) lavender that I have encountered in my short time in the hobby. I like most of the TF PB frags but his lavender palm does not remind me at all of lavender.

This does, pure and simple.

aventus88
aventus88

I got an atomizer from just to tried cuz i heard smells similar to A Taste of Heaven by Kilian . Smells similar but not that awesome. I use it as after shave . I am glad it is just .05 oz .

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

For the pre-recent-reformulaton edt (~90s?): The older version of Pour Un Homme de Caron is the fragrance I wear and enjoy most often and to most reliable satisfaction. It lends itself to lavish spritzes on linens before sleep, a spray on a scarf for comfort's sake before travel, or splashing on generously after a shower to transition from cleanliness to stimulation. I go through about .25 oz/week gladly, as even in vintage this is very affordable. The only reasons I prefer the vintage are: superior lasting power and a more pleasing lavender. Otherwise the current formula is quite comparable, if not in abstractly felt-for "quality," then in its basic smell and impression.

This Caron lasts most of the day if sprayed 2-3 times but is more enjoyable if refreshed every few hours. The sillage is noticeable but soft and alluring, not demanding or try-hard.

Pour Un Homme, Femme, both, neither: wear it to experience lavender as a natural magic: of sparkling solidity and shifting light; a geode. Tonka-vanilla and musk are allowed each their own space and freedom to become colors, textures, feelings, ever-sharpened ideas instead of the white noise they're reduced to in most other scents. A doughy-rich amber shows up frequently on repeat wearings while a camphorous mint makes a very occasional appearance before drydown. Cold/warm contrasts edge out too much focus on sweetness, though the ice cream feeling mentioned in other reviews is evident just before the warmer drydown.

This is the meaning of the word elegance: simplicity, though not simple. Pour Un Homme is perfume's answer to Ezra Pound's "In A Station of the Metro" in form, function, near-perfection while dismissing the need for perfection, in being so direct, so alive.

Slayerized
Slayerized

Almost 80 years ago created and still going strong! Amazing!

This masterpiece is only to be avoided when one really hates lavender or vanilla.
If not, this is a must buy!
It is mainly a three note composition of lavender, vanilla and musk but so well blended that it is rightfully considered as a masterpiece!
It opens with a fresh blast of lavender which smells very pure! Shortly after the raw vanilla (which is indeed not sweet) kicks in surrounded by musk which makes this frag pretty unique, very fresh and clean! During the base the vanilla and musk take over on the lavender but the moment this happens is difficult to point out! It's that well blended. the frag gives you a clean, fresh feeling and is perfect for casual wear during the morning in spring or summer after you showered! Longevity is average (6 hrs) and sillage is from above average to average during the course of wearing time. An advantage is that this can be applied in different ways; over-apllication for huge sillage (at first) and decent longevity if one wants this for as long as possible or just a few sprays to start the first morning hours in a very fresh but warm way! It never gets cloying and is pretty inoffensive as it is not a sweet fragrance. For 30+ years and up! Rated: 8.5/10

Sam37
Sam37

my dear father had it when I was just a kid, he passed away, this make me think of him :´(

bigmo1983
bigmo1983

I'm trying my best to really enjoy this cologne. I hear all the positive reviews and the breakdown of the notes especially the lavender and vanilla notes. For me, I get the smell of play-doh that lingers for about 20 or so minutes then barely transition into an vanilla scent you can hardly smell. Extremely close to the skin. Maybe the one I have is outdated. Does anyone agree with me?

oliseeger
oliseeger

One of my favorites! What a beautiful scent. It starts with fresh lavender, like a spring morning and after +/- 30 minutes, pure magic begins. The vanilla embraces the lavender and smoothes the green aspect of the perfume. Indeed, not just vanilla but also a musky touch. The result is a creamy musk vanilla that envelopes you all day long. Also, it is quite powdery (just love it)!!

soned
soned

Wow.....1934.....really????.

Surprising to me, since this is not dated at all. I don't like the opening, it's tooooo leafy. After 20 minutes or so, the sweet, soft and a bit powdery vanilla kicks in with something else, which I guess is the musk....but to me, it smells more like amber. It stays that way for a long time on my skin.

This is a very calming scent to me, aromatherapy all the way,and I have no doubt it is totally unisex. It's incredible they are asking such a low price for this one.

ericrico
ericrico

Something from another era - and it smells like it. However, it is timeless, not dated. This is, as another reviewer put it, more of a "scent" than a "fragrance". It is not linear and it evolves beautifully - but it is so very different from mainstream compositions. Minimalism is, truly, beauty in its simplest form. That is exactly what Caron Pour Un Homme is...

Both sharp (herbal) & smooth (floral) lavender - a true soliflore, musk and vanilla are the three components everyone focuses on - but there are a few more overtones (and undertones) in Caron Pour Un Homme. A lot of people find a rosemary accord, which could be there as a note - but I find that accord to be the sharper leaf of the lavender itself. Amber is also mentioned by some. I must admit, that in Vintage formulation, I do get a smooth amber that is warm and less sweet than the more pure vanilla in current formulation.

I adore Vintage Caron Pour Un Homme, but even current formulation (if applied as I describe below) is a masterpiece scent and an undeniable classic that exudes taste, class and has aromatherapy qualities with its soothing vibe.

I find current formulation to be very refreshing if applied liberally or reapplied within 10-15 minutes of 1st application (layering increases the scent's projection and longevity). The key is to spray very close to the skin (about 1") to 'stack the scent'. In current formulation, this allows the lavender to show its beauty and articulate its duality in the scent (leaf and floral) - therefore, a true soliflore of lavender. The effect is interesting - the vanilla is more potent in current formulation and the close application provides better longevity and true form of scent. Otherwise, I find that the notes separate and the richness of the composition is not nearly as well-presented. The vanilla dominates in current juice. Vintage formulation has more musk and sharp lavender (and overall less vanilla, although it is still an amazing drydown to a vanilla/musk/amber on the skin). Splashing the scent on from a large flacon eliminates all the hassle of "stacking" CPuH. To me, my preferred method of application is to pour a generous amount into the cap of large 500ml (or 750ml) flacon, cup my hand and put generous amounts onto my chest, neck arms and hands.

The more elaborate scent pyramids presented here are interesting - but I feel that some of the additional "notes" are actually olfactory accords that are there based upon the composition, the excellent quality ingredients and how the scent was masterfully created. It is hard to say - for, if you smell wood or lemon, then it is subjective and that is your nose and perspective. I don't get those notes nor moss. But, to each their own. The evolution of this scent on skin is truly incredible - that is what I focus on.

My preference of "when" to wear it is immediately after a shower - it is a great scent to apply on fresh, clean skin. I really like the lavender in this and find that a light application (and not reapplying) makes this a little too powdery vanilla for me (and as some believe, a bit doughy) - but not cloying. However, this is classic perfumery...undeniably and indisputably. It has both the sharp, herbal aspect of lavender leaf along with the soft and fragrant floral accord of the same note. The vanilla picks up the floral quality, which is soothing and has light sweetness...while the musk carries the herbal feeling of the lavender, creating balance and brilliant harmony in this divine composition.

The longevity is actually rather good, as you get a very nice fresh smell with the warm vanilla/musk base (with light projection for several hours in the drydown). It projects fairly well for about 3-4 hours on my skin and then lasts wonderfully as a skin scent with nice wisps radiating up to your nose for a good while past that (in a full wearing, I can easily get 6-8 hours as it seems to meld into your skin and "breathe"). A true classic...a gentleman's scent from 1934 on the shelf today in my wardrobe.

Caron, as a house, is simply first-class and rather daring (often in a minimalistic perspective like CPuH). A very non-mainstream line of fragrances (many unisex) that transcend time and olfactory notes that are atypically together or compositions that are tastefully unique. I will not get into all the other Caron fragrances I know, have and love - but I am so deeply fond of many and Pour Un Homme is one of their very best.

This is about a timeless scent - Caron Pour Un Homme. One must have this in their fragrance collection - if anything, as a point of reference to how "scent" is structured and how notes integrate with one another. For me, it is the purity, natural feeling I get and the aromatherapy it provides that makes it a regular in my rotation. It will be around, most likely, forever...and generations should pass this on. My rating is not in points - but in a thankful and gracious nod to Caron for keeping this great bottle around all these years. Merci!

**Personal note** - I enjoy the lavender so much in this classic and find myself craving the opening after a few hours of wear. An interesting way to "refresh" this scent is to splash on Agua Lavanda by Puig once this is in dry down. The base notes stay and you get a nice soothing lavender that blends in beautifully. While Agua Lavanda has no true base notes, Caron Pour Un Homme melds seamlessly with the pure lavender from Puig's large bottle (which I recommend decanting into a small splash, glass bottle to get the plastic smell out of Puig's wonderful creation). It is brilliant and I highly recommend this to anyone. A large bottle of Agua Lavanda is very inexpensive and wonderfully aromatic - albeit a single-note, light Eau de Cologne of pure lavender. I found excellent synergy here and enjoy wearing Caron Pour Un Homme even more when splashing on Agua Lavanda a few hours into the wearing and refreshing occasionally throughout...cheers.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

Read the reviews of Taste of Heaven by Kilian and you have this fragrance. They are identical twins with the same hair style and clothing! They are so similar that it is almost criminal LOL!!! I own TOH (look at my wardrobe) and now I own this. I will never purchase TOH (if I ever run out). I got a 6.7 for like $44 shipped and later found it cheaper at parfum1.com . If you like Lavender and Vanilla with a slightly less herbal twist than TOH then get this. If you like Taste Of Heaven yet found the price out of your range..get this. My wife says "this smells like an old woman" usually that means the fragrance has character ;o)

Buysblind
Buysblind

The note pyramid pretty much says it all. Lavender, Vanilla, and a little bit of Musk. Once it settles in, this is a really nice fragrance--very low key and calm with a relaxing appeal. And over time you may in fact come to enjoy the wild opening of sharp, piercing lavender which blasts your sinuses upon the initial spray. It's kind of a fun way to start off this scent which is otherwise friendly and well-mannered. Spray away, it's hard to over do it with this one. Versatile, Caron Pour un Homme can definitely be worn in casual situations or on more formal occassions, and in most types of weather save for really hot, humid days. It's an excellent alternative to A Taste of Heaven, and at less than $35 for 100 mls, it's a bargain.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle.

Kendall
Kendall

Blind bought this because of all the hype about TOF by Kilian, n the similarities it has with TOF. Then I read up in this fragrance and learned that it had its own hype. I must say when I first got it, the first initial spray I was like "what the hell did I just purchase"? But I'm getting very good at this fragrance smelling thing, so I waited about a good hour and let me tell you all this green juice is wonderful probably one of the best vanilla n lavender scents I've ever smelled. It almost makes u wanna bite ur wrist, smells like a sugar cream pie! I'm trying to decipher if this is gonna take my number 3 spot in my top ten favorites. Anywho, you can't go wrong with spending 30 bucks on this wonderful fragrance!

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

One of my very most beloved fragrances. This really helps me unwind!

It's not a terribly complex fragrance but the devil is in the details:

It opens with a tremendously herbal and intoxicating natural lavender that's breathtaking. It begins to emanate more sensual notes under the lavender of cedar, vanilla, and musk. The interplay between all of the notes would be revolting if it wasn't so comforting. The whole effect is something akin to the smell of my grandmother's cedar linen cabinet, always stocked with Yardley English Lavender soap.

It manages to remain handsome, and the vanilla/cedar/musk combo is to die for despite the ice cream comments here.

SecondCherry
SecondCherry

Speaking as a woman, the name is just daft - this is definitely a unisex fragrance. Today my vintage bottle (50ml, black top) arrived and it's substantially different from the modern splash mini I was using. The modern version is smoother and less complex; the vintage version seems more complicated, with a sharp lemony, rosemary, minty and strong lavender opening that is almost offputting at first. It takes some time to calm down into the same lavender/vanilla blend that I'm familiar with from the modern formulation. This is a really delicious fragrance that I wear a surprising amount - warm and comforting for sleeping in, great for white linen days, times when you want to feel clean but not in a white floral way. I might give the DH my modern mini for travelling.

oxm
oxm

Pour un Homme by Caron is a warm scent prevails as the bottom densely vanilla, the contrast is played face to face with notes of lavender, is much more of a classic (some say démodé) but still could return to the nostalgic desire to use them, reminiscent of the colonies of Alyssa Ashley musk that give the feeling of wellbeing that comes after a shower when puffs of talcum go to mitigate the efforts of a busy day.

Avecesar
Avecesar

I am rediscovering Caron Pour Un Homme. I have just purchased a 100ml spray on Ebay for 15 euros( the bottle is not the current one, it's a tall one with a black plastic top)and I find it fantastic. Believe me, I am not a fan of the vanilla note in a fragrance but - I don't know why- I love it in Pour Un Homme. Maybe the balance between lavender and vanilla is made in an ideal way. Anyway, the result is just wonderful, not overpowering, very manly. This is a classic and timeless scent that I will now keep always in my collection.

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

My first impression:

Perfume created in 1934 with the opening herbal / floral and slightly citrus, although some notes in common with Le male, they do not look. Caron is a fragrance with a much more open and dried lavender here is quite different from the JPG (I guess it is less synthetic) have the vanilla style shalimar initial appears slowly but competes for the attention all the time with herbal tones. With the proximity of the dry down it will sweeten the beginning, but this is kind of caught with sweet tone of dry wood which also appears. Projection seemed very good, but I found this weird fragrance.

kl99
kl99

FRAGRANTICA please don't joke with notes or you will loose credibility. What is this poor list here up? Come on!

Officially:

Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary,

Cedarwood, Clary Sage, (Heliotrope), Rose, Rosewood,

Moss, Musk, Tonka, Vanilla,

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I'm on my second bottle of this, and I'm surprised to find that I haven't reviewed it - my bad.

Let me put it this way: Pour un Homme is the perfect masculine fragrance. Its lavender is fresh, sweet, frighteningly naturalistic (especially at its price point), and truly calming. The vanilla, melded with a dab of civet into a powdery musk, is entirely inedible, cool, silky in feel, and truly powerful. I've read that Tom Ford wears this scent and brings it with him wherever he goes. It isn't hard to understand why. If you have scoured the fragrance universe in search of a signature that doesn't require mind-bending analysis to enjoy, and have not yet touched on the venerable house of Caron, do try Pour un Homme. Go for the little - or very big - green bottle. It's almost 80 years old, a survivor, the fundamental exception to every limiting rule ever penned about masculine fragrance. Two hundred years from now, men will be wearing Pour un Homme as they regale cosmonaut socialites at Martian cocktail parties. Trust me.

brigittehiroshi
brigittehiroshi

Classical good quality lavender scent that turns into a soft vanilla on the dry down.

A clean and elegant scent for men of all ages, designed in 1934 and perfect for the man of today.
This fragrance evokes to me the image of a cleam man walking in the street in smart but casual dress on a sunny day at eight in the morning. Everytime I wear this incredibly good quality fragrance I feel happy and alive.

Clean, young but also a mature scent. A timeless fragrance that can challenge all the setbacks. Serenity, adventure, youth, maturity, sobriety, abundance and generosity... Everything you can imagine, you can find it in this absolutely timeless, immortal, simply but highly developed fragrance.

Caron Pour un Homme is like Tintin by Hérgé, something that will never disappear and will be forever in your heart once you know it.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

I have tried to like this. I have a big bottle and I spritz it on occasionally to reconsider it. Its good point is that it gives off a clean and fresh robust accord at first blush; then it becomes a powdery-stale barbershop and/or grim hospital smell. Of all the Caron scents for men, I love The Third Man the best.

stuartbr
stuartbr

it's an ode to freshness with lavender as basic note...

Macassar
Macassar

perfume made for F.S Fitzgerald , very classical , beautiful sparkling lavender . You have to wait a little before loving it ...head notes can be too much ..then it settles down and becomes wonderful

jcastano
jcastano

For about 3 years, I eyed this scent both in department stores and online vendors. I was always so hesitant to pull out my wallet and actually go through with purchasing a scent that was crafted in the 1930's but I desperately desired to try a fragrance from the Caron house. With that, I'm ecstatic that I added this classic to my collection!

The fragrance itself has more than 3 notes, fragrantica missed a few, but overall, it's simple with what it presents and is beautifully executed in the process. I won't lie, the opening is almost revolting and when I first sprayed it on myself, I was instantly drawn away. To my nose, the earthy aspect in the opening blended with the citrus and spice, although appealing in theory, is overwhelmingly odd. The rosemary is too potent and the lemon is sharp while a soft lavender slowly makes a subtle arrival. Anyway, for about 15 minutes, I was shaking my head in disappointment when all the sudden, I sensed a delicate waft of vanilla and lavender that warped my olfactory cells entirely. It was something that reminded me of one of my all time favorites, Le Male by JPG. I sniffed around and couldn't find the source of this glorious aroma when I realized it was I! The scent became a whole different fragrance! The mid and base are a combination of sugared florals interwoven with rich cedar and rosewood. The marriage of both vanilla and lavender is pure with absolutely no distortion of any other notes overpowering the two. They are exclusive and faithful to one another and their roles in Pour Un Homme illustrates just that. Think of a powdery vanilla ice cream cone threaded with fresh lavender. That's how this smells like to me. It ends with a white musk/tonka bean synthesis that attempts to divide the lovers but their fidelity remains far too enduring.

As lovely as this is, it's not for everyone and definitely is difficult to pull off in the warmer months and casually at that. The elegance in the scent is quite superior to most mass market fragrances. It's also quite unisex so women needn't fret to test this magnificent juice. For some reason, I can't help but wonder if Jean Paul Gaultier was inspired by this Caron classic. All Le Male fans should at least give this fragrance a wearing to further identify with my statement. Top notch stuff!

shoden
shoden

As much as I like this fragrance, I could not wear it, since I'm young and I find it very strong.

Chimp
Chimp

Pour un Homme de Caron is a loud barbershop fragrance, so strong that made me nautious when i sniffed it. I'd recommend this to more mature guys with age above 40.

jrichart
jrichart

Caron pour homme es otro epítome de fragancia aristocrática e intelectual como son Mouchoir de Monsieur y Pour Monsieur de Chanel. Es llamativo, como una fragancia construida mayoritariamente centrada en dos notas olfativas, lavanda y vainilla, pueda ser a la vez que simple compleja. Esta complejidad es debida a la frescura de la lavanda y la calidez de la vainilla, estas conforman un combo de sofisticación que da a Caron pour homme una fragancia de esas que tienen efecto-memoria. En mi humilde opinión, veo parecidos a otros perfumes como el ya citado Mouchoir de Monsieur y Jicky de Guerlain.

Caron POUR UN HOMME is a loud lavender-vanilla cologne. You have to really love lavender to wear this one. Lavender-vanilla is not one of my most beloved combinations of notes, so perhaps it's not that surprising that POUR UN HOMME is not my favorite Caron--or even my favorite made-for-men Caron.

Still, I find the lavender of this particular composition exceptionally harsh and grating upon application. There is a sharpness which I do not generally find in lavender perfumes such as Guerlain Aqua Allegoria LAVANDE VELOURS, which I sometimes use as a bedtime scent to induce sleep.

POUR UN HOMME does mellow out after a bit, but to my nose, it's always fairly strident lavender sweetened with vanilla, from start to finish.

A question: am I mistaken, or is that a man fondling a woman's breast in one of the ad photos above?!

al.to
al.to

above all Natural
simple,cozy easy to wear in most season.
confortable.
banal notes like lavender and vanilla together became good and balanced.
for many occasion.
With so many masculine scents with strong notes(hard woods,cloying leather,church incense. smoking things, synthetic things).
there no need to yell Here i can find my answer

this scent is better than many lavender-base fragrances more expansive and more contemporaneous.
give a Try or more

classic masculine?clearly unisex but i like to think that is manly.

update:i find here also some rosemary,clary sage..

Cassiano
Cassiano

Classic, modern, alluring, delicious!
I must be honest with you all: I don't feel any barbershop smell on it (thank God!).
In my point of view, this one opens exactly like English Lavender, by Yardley of London, with a very good, natural and distinctive, yet virile and masculine lavender. Five minutes later, the "musky vanilla side" appears and that's what remains on my skin in a brilliant way.

Some people say: "if you like vanilla, you will love this one". Well, I love vanilla, but I must say: "never expect a typical vanilla scent by wearing Pour un Homme de Caron, because it is not like Rochas Lui, for instance, with one of the best vanillas that I've smelled on male scents".
Here, you will find a calm and powdery vanilla, which is neither too much sweet nor too much strong. It is elegant!!!

The only flaw (if I could say that), in my opinion, is that it could exhale more. But within its proposal of timeless elegance, it has a very good lasting!

danielmventer
danielmventer

I suppose this is a no nonsence fragrance for men. Just like Sebastien Chabal( nr 8 for the French rugby team)... Oh!hang on.. whats that on the fragrance advert pictures?! Its Chabal!

Its sounds to me like a classic barbershop fragrance with Lavender,Vanilla and Musk. Like Pinaud aftershaves and fragrances.

Im not going to give this a review score as I havent tried the fragrance and I am scared of a guy that looks like a French Jesus.

johngreenink
johngreenink

Had a whiff today: Very, very vanilla. If you like vanilla, great! After about an hour, the dry down has a little bit of lavender, then some creamy musk (this part is nice, admittedly,) but overall it's exceptionally sweet. I think this is definitely a unisex composition.

Longevity and silage are very good for Un Homme. I would give this a try before purchase; it's definitely sugary for a men's fragrance and probably wouldn't work on every guy.

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

Pour un Homme de Caron is a linear, two dimensional accord of lavender, anise and vanilla with a heavy civet basenote. The result is somewhat powdery, a little uric, but mostly it just screams lavender and licorice.

It also smells its age and I'm frankly surprised that people are still buying it. Even were it in line with today's aesthetics or retro in a good way, which it isn't, Pour un Homme de Caron still fails as a fragrance. It simply never blends, never becomes anything more than its few overstrong, discordant notes, which sit together like strangers on a bus.

I like that Pour un Homme de Caron is still available from a historical perspective. But I think it is best left to collectors and those few gentlemen still alive today who remember its introduction.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

I've got it today. Blind buy. Reading all the reviews I taught it can be feminine as well. Must say I've expected something more vanilla. Instead vanilla it smells like fish oil on me. It opens really strong laveneder and than is coming musk and a bit of vanilla. When lavedener is gone, I smell more vanilla but still fish oil in the shadow. The outcome on my skin is awful.
Maybe I should try it some other, hotter day. I can see that most of you think that this is more spring and summer perfume. We'll see.

Razvan
Razvan

Elegance is an attitude.

One gentleman perfume, like Pour Monsieur de Chanel.

jtd
jtd

I love lavender and I love vanilla. I think Jicky is spectacular. Why is it that I can’t stand Pour un Homme? Every bit of the balance that I find so delicious and enticing in Jicky is out of whack in Pour un Homme. The lavender and the vanilla never come together and the other elements I can find are on the sidelines urging on the fight.

Rosemary curdles the vanilla and tonka blunts the lavender. There’s a feeling of objects flying at each other, hitting, and landing with a dull thud that unfortunately lasts for hours.

renperd
renperd

What was Daltroff's brief back in 1934? "Do us a regular lavender scent, only cloying as hell." He managed it with adding industrial lashings of vanilla and called it Pour un Homme. Pour un Homme anosmique perhaps! I'm rather partial to vanilla and quite like lavender, but this juice is just too much of both. I'd much rather go for Shalimar or even Jicky.

JohnMc
JohnMc

I read recently that this is Tom Ford's personal favorite scent. Anybody else heard that?

blueberry

I have found the notes set is:

Top Notes: Rosemary, Lavender, Bergamot, Lemon.

Heart Notes: Clary Sage, Cedar, Rose, Brazilian Rosewood.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Musk, Oakmoss, Vanilla.

I knew there must be more to this lovely fragrance than just Lavender, Vanilla and Musk.

Lost Argonaut
Lost Argonaut

How much I hate when sales people in the fragrance shop try to pretend to know it all about what suits you best and what not!! When I inquired to sample this much praised work of Caron, the saleslady insisted that it was "outdated and for people over 50". It was when I wasn't a fan of perfumery yet, naturally I didn't argue with her. Wish I gave it a try. But it's definitely in my wish list. After Yatagan..

Attar
Attar

Noble, "vetivery", masculine fragrance. Not for everyday. Not for everybody. For genuine judges of "simply-sophisticated" masterpieces. In this case - male masterpiece. Strong, sober, respectable, severe, undisputed.

Senzadite
Senzadite

An elegant fragrance simple and clean...not citrusy clean , but well dressed clean, lavander and vanilla are prominent but i also get some amber and orange blossom, lasting power is not that good in spring, i guess is more a summer fragrance.

maknine ezzine

personellement je l'aimme ce parfum...meme si il me fait rapelet des( nation????)que j'aimme pas!!!!!pour ne pas dir autres chose qui peut heurtes la sensibiliter des plus .....

spoombung
spoombung

This reminds me of my Grandmother's house and an age when lavender was grown in the garden, dried and tied up into little bundles to 'freshen' up drawers of clothes. It was everywhere; inside and out.

On the first spray you get a slightly harsh blast of lavender... but it quickly mellows and reveals a lovely soft vanilla and gentle cinnamon bed. The whole scent has a sought of faded photograph feel - as if the colours have become slightly desaturated and the high contrasts are greyed out. I really like it.

Caron Pour un Homme was conceived in an age with a totally different aesthetic. It's so incredibly far removed from today's army of Young Turks and their omnipresent, high-pitched, screechy aqua potions. As for the people who think that lavender is synonymous with old age, care homes and urine, this fragrance proves them all wrong! It's gorgeous.

Travel back in time (in style) with Caron Pour un Homme.

mehrdad
mehrdad

پس از گذر سالیان دراز یعنی 77 سال از لانچ شدن این ادکلن برجسته و عالی در سطح دنیا میگذرد از همسالان او خیلی ها فراموش شده و دیگر اثری از آنها باقی نیست حتی عطرهای متعلق به همین چند سال اخیر داریم که با عدم استقبال عمومی بدرود گفتند اما این عطر بی نظیر کارون یعنی جناب آقای سر پرنس " پورانوم" هنوز که هنوز است بر اریکه سلطنت و قدرت تکیه زده و از محبوبیتش کاسته نشده است
اینکه بعضی از دوستان نظر دارند برای سنین بالا فقط خوب است و پدر بزرگها بنده زیاد قبول ندارم و الان هم روی تن مردان میانسال و حتی جوان هم به مشامم که خورده دیدم متناسب باسن طرف بوده و اصطلاحا به او میامده است بنده الان یک شیشه 200 میلش را که از دوبی خریده ام هنوز گاهی استفاده میکنم و اطرافیانم همیشه سوال میکنند که چی زدی؟ به آنها میگویم و باز دفعه بعد همین سوال را مینمایند!! شاید هر دفعه رایحه آن در فضهاهای مختلف فرق میکند؟
ادکلن پورانوم از نظر من جزو یکی از ماندگارترین عطرهای قرن اخیر خصوصا به قول آقا بهزاد در ایران بشمار میرود
کلاسیک
مردانه
جذاب و گرم
شیرین و وانیلی
آروماتیک و وتیور
بدلیل داشت لاواندر بع عنوان نت اول و اصلی آرامبخش بوده چون در طب سنتی برای بیمارانی که بدنبال راحتی اعصاب و آرامش میگردند بخور و یا استفاده از اسانس لاواندر بر روی پوست و بدن تجویز میگردد و حتی برای از بین بردن خور خور در خواب تجویز میکنند که مقداری اسانس لاواندر به بالش خود زده و استراحت نمایید آنرا از بین میبرد
با دوام و پخش بوی بسیار خوب
پدر بزرگ و جد امجد بسیاری از ادکلنهای حاظر!

Caron pour homme doesn't exactly fit my personal idea of a male fragrance but I love it. Usually I'm not into lavender-centered scents but I had to make an exception for this one as it's quite special. The opening is a bit challenging to my nose as it reminds me of an essential oil made by the benedectine nuns in my town.  It's overwhelmed by a strong lavender note, but in a few minutes it perfectly blends to vanilla and musk turning the fragrance to be absolutely delightful and very comfortable. Easy to wear, refreshing and close to the skin, Caron pour homme is an amazing everydays fragrance and a classic by this extraordinary house. Needs to be moderately applied otherwise it may easily turn a bit too harsh during the opening.

Reference masculine lavender.

blueberry

If "English Lavander" by Yardley is for women, I don't see why Caron Pour Homme is meant for men! Caron is very universal and even more on the feminine side, IMHO.
This is probably the best crisp lavender rendition I know and I consider it a great summer fragrance, an indispensable holiday trip companion- not overwhelming, refreshing, soothing and relaxing.
In the first stage there is predominantly a lavender kick, but it is by no means harsh or unpleasant. Then, after some 15 minutes lovely vanilla emerges.
Good stuff!

jglass54
jglass54

A soft blend of lavender and vanilla with just a final hint of musk. Very understated, a bit old-fashioned. Classic.

fotolux
fotolux

Caron Pour Un Homme Fragrance Notes
Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon

Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood

Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss

BIG
BIG

i got a 4.5 ml bottle from the 80s and i was anxious to smell this much-praises fragrance. Upon application, i immediately smelt lavender, much to my expectations and the first thing that came to my mind was Jicky. I waited several more minutes for the drydown to come out and it paid off. I smell gentle and suave vanilla notes rising up and suddenly toned down by lavender. Imho, it's an evening scent, best worn during spring time. It awakes your senses and informs people of the arrival of a heart-breaker.

Lotofire
Lotofire

Where do i beggin? i bought it but didnt try it till today...and wow what a fragrance...it reminds me of Dior Pour Homme, no; not a copy just with a similar aura(smell the two to see what im talking about) ; Lavander is for sure the protagonist in this beauty but that dont diminish the presence of warm soft vanilla and the attracting trail of musk. In one word: MASTERPIECE.

Finisterle
Finisterle

NO. I will never buy another bottle.
Sure, this is really well made:
Apply 4+ sprays and receive:
a superbly soft and powdery vanilla-lavender drydown for all occasions.

BUT:
It's not exactly a Star Wars adventure for your nose.
It may be close to perfection but it's also the most boring thing in the world.

michael
michael

Wonderful creation from Caron,always in my top 10 list. They've been making it for over 3/4 of a century so they must be doing something right. Nice going Caron.

gmmcnair
gmmcnair

Agreed, with the other reviewers, simply the best lavender fragrance I've ever had the joy of experiencing. It's a beautiful clean lavender, sharp and refreshing, softened with a beautiful vanilla and musk.

Smells a little powdery at the end, but not dated. A true masterpiece that could easily be unisex.

ROBERTO
ROBERTO

The perfume of my grand parents, my father, uncles, and probalby, my signature scent. A perfume for life

Sissi
Sissi

Lavender conjures up many myths and legends Lavender was the favorite of
queen Elizabeth I it cures insect bites
it calms the nerves and helps you sleep
the floral it's self inspired artists &
poets.

it makes me think of a sleepy small
town in the south of France with a small modest chapel and fields and fields of Lavender with elderly
townspeople playing cards children playing middle aged women hanging linnen on the line to dry in the warm sun and your walking though these fields obilvisious of the thing around you the scent put you in a trance
just walking losing sense of time
and you stop in a middle of the fields lay down and rolling though the hill of lavender and fall asleep.

Indro
Indro

This fragrance is definitely been reformulated,diluted to a large extent,a nice fragrance virtually destroyed.

behzad1280
behzad1280

...

They made a masterpiece by Lavender many years ago! And still it's lovely and unique ..

Longevity and sillage and projection, all are good and acceptable.

I like it ☺

Update: darvish's comment on my review, Accepted.

فکر نمیکنم توی هیچ جای دنیا به اندازه ایران این ادکلن محبوب بوده باشه
همه ما تجربه بوییدن اون رو از پدر و پدربزرگامون داریم
هنوز هم بعد از سالهای سال بی همتا و دوست داشتنیه
دوستش دارم خیلی

rithacha
rithacha

This was made in 1934? I can only imagine how modern it must've been back then. It's pretty romantic to think of all the decades this fragrance outlived - definitely timeless.

On paper, Pour Un Homme is the truest lavender I've EVER smelled. It isn't the soothing lavender that would put you to sleep (like on Covet), though. This lavender is sharply aromatic and invigorating and STRONG. It settles down after a few minutes, and thank you rafaeleleniz for identifying the rosemary! It's definitely there. The strong herbs straddle fresh and medicinal in an abstract modern personality. An hour in, the vanilla becomes detectable. Wait another hour and the vanilla takes the lead. The combination of vanilla and lavender is divine. I much prefer this vanilla to the candy-sweets in gourmand scents.

I don't understand why Pour Un Homme isn't unisex - the strong opening is very masculine, but the sweet drydown wouldn't be unpleasant on a woman.

Interestingly, the lavender that smells so good on paper does bizarre things on my skin. My skin makes the lavender smell sour, reminding me of the "scented" shampoo/soap provided by cheap motels. I don't understand it, very frustrating! I paitiently bear it until after half an hour when the delicious vanilla comes in to redeem the herbal pungency of the opening. I wear men's fragrances, and never encountered this on my skin before.

Nice, but on the right skin chemistry.

rafaeleleniz
rafaeleleniz

Outstanding fragrance no matter what!!!!
Very masculine and does not show its age, could have been created recently and nobody would have doubted.
Although Lavander, Vanilla and Musk are the dominant notes, clearly there is a sharp lemon note in the opening, very sharp indeed, together with a hint of rosemary, rose comes through at the heart of this perfume, although coyly and like flirting, kind of misterously. The base shows a faint mossy scent that enhances and elevates the musk to extraordinary heights. There are more subtle notes in this fragrance that unfortunately I do not have the knowledge to properly describe, this scent is much more complex that the simple description in this page. And I should mention too how intensely powdery is its drydown.

sylviane71
sylviane71

hmmmm one of the best!

guest_guest 1967
guest_guest 1967

caron pour homme, ja dieser duft ist wie dr.jekyll und mr. hyde.
es ist am anfang krautig scharf grün, nur lavendel, danach geht es sehr rasch in diesen abgrund der süßen vanille.
es ist heute lediglich den wirklichen liebhabern vorbehalten, ich selbst finde es fast für unverkäuflich und absolut schrecklich.

DC-8
DC-8

Top notes are a real yuck to me. Lavender note sounds like totally out of match and harmony, in this cologne.

After almost one hour, it turns into a very sweet smell. I like the vanilla note. I did not feel anything else (i.e. musk) but merely vanilla.

Longevity was subzero on my skin. Specially lavender was lasting long, while vanilla vanished quickly. Disappointed...

Although I am a classic person, but just couldn't take this one. I like it when others wear, but I myself wont go for that, at all!

Andy Capobianco
Andy Capobianco

First impression smelt very simple lavender & sweet vanilla with hints of other stuff that I can't name at the beginning. I think the silage doesn't stay that close to the skin, people should smell you wearing it. and lasts long enough to not be dissapointed. It's very sweet compared to my other more manly fragrances and definitely smells pretty unique, and as time goes on I think the sweet vanilla is dominant. but it's pretty comfortable to wear as long as you're ok with sweet fragrance, and you like vanilla, and you don't over apply it. I think it smells nicer if I don't over apply it. I like the fact that it comes from 1934, if it was a modern fragrance I'd probably like it a bit less. The scent seems to keep changing every now and then when I apply it. sometimes it has a nice smell but occasionally I'll spray it and it'll smell a bit different to usual and a bit weird. generally I like it and have grown to like it more and more

Robert White
Robert White

YAHHAHHAHYAHAHA! I got a 750 ml bottle of this for $58!!! The guy who runs The Perfume Corner in Boston is definitely my new buddy. This is one of those great old fragrances that makes ya smell like a man. In fact, I'm going home, showering off my wussy Bond #9, and pouring some on from my new, HUGE, bottle, towering priapically over the rest of my bottles on the dresser. A GREAT lavender, right up there with Jicky, and a much better deal.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Another great classic from Caron! When my husband wears it, it comes across as an interesting Play-Doh-esque amber aroma with a slight touch of green herbs. Lavender often smells sharp and astringent, but its softened by the other notes here. Very well-composed, and like all other Caron fragrances I have tried, it has great sillage and lasts for hours. This one is nice, too, as they make an alcohol-free version that comes in a little roller-ball, if that suits you better. Both the spray and roll-on smell the same and last all day.

One of my all time favourites along with Eau Sauvage.
I had another one Balenciaga's Pour Homme, from 60s, but it seems to have disappeared

shamus1
shamus1

Quite simply the best lavender fragrance in the world. Enough said.

Cheadle

Once in a while masterpieces like this appear where I live. I came across it twice and each time I snatched it. First the old 100ml bottle you won't even give a second look and years later I stumbled upon the updated 125ml bottle like the one in the poster. Very conservative, stays very close to you, highly respectable scent. what you lose in projection you gain in wearability and you also get a unique intellectual feel. It opens with strong lavender and citrus notes, the progression is gradual and eventually you get that fresh soft musk at the end that lasts and lasts. Guys that love classics will love this and did I mention that no fragrance I've come across smells quite like this.

Leesee
Leesee

A soft, herbal-floral composition with a dominant note of lavender, ideal as a masculine, but also lovely, in small quantities, as a feminine.

essija
essija

Ohh I like it, its soft for a mans cologne. Sexy to me. I prefer these scents for men.. ohh la la... I love tonka bean and vanilla. the more I sniff it the more I like it... I'm really wanting to wear this myself thanks leesee for the info..

Herzeleid
Herzeleid

i think is very classy scent, masculine intellectual,and serius in the end.

afraafra
afraafra

Test before you buy some people love it some hate it! pretty modern scent considering it was made in 1934.

Pour Un Homme de Caron by Caron 3.93 out of 5 based on 679 ratings and 177 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Pour Un Homme de Caron by Caron. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Pour Un Homme de Caron by Caron represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.