Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

I have it: 607 I had it: 122 I want it: 399 My signature: 11

herbal
smoky

The fragrance, named after the sharp, curved Turkish saber Yatagan, is an invitation to join an adventure on the traces of Ottoman horses. It’s exotic, mysterious sonority is reminiscent of oriental and adventurous destinies. The clinging warm, bold, and sensual scent resembles an extremely rare oriental wood that was used as incense in Hindu homes for centuries. Yatagan’s wood notes mixed with subtle undertones of herbs such as galbanum, patchouli, incense, Artemisia and mint make this a perfect fall and wintry scent. Yatagan was launched in 1978. The nose behind this fragrance is Vincent Marcello.

Lavender Galbanum Basil Pine watercress Mint

Artemisia Oak oak moss Patchouli

Musk Castoreum Woodsy Notes Incense

Eloge du Traitre
Phileas

Yatagan Fragrance Reviews

boruvka44
boruvka44

After the first sniff off the cap, I was pretty sad, that this blind buy was not exactly succesfull.
Bitter wormwood, dark brown woods, the same color as the liquid in the bottle.
Like an old tweed guy, munching quietly bitter tobacco.
Out of curiosity, I had to try it on my skin. Carefuly, as far away from my nose as possible - on my ankle. I´m getting old, so another splash went to my knee.
The first five minutes reminded me a lot of Aromatics Elixir - utterly bitter pungent herbs, the reason I cannot wear Aromatics.
Then I smelled mostly dried rosemary - the almost burning bitter, green/brown grail of all herbs (that I personally don´t love)
I think I'm the right host, because I get light, velvety sweet tone from my skin. Probably castoreum, or the leather, also a little bit of tobacco.
Those, who like the smell of horses - the musk - but don´t dare to wear the kind of sharp and strong animal aroma found in some perfumes: in Yatagan is the beautiful horse smell, masterfully cleaned.
It is like a mustang galloping through savanna.
You can smell the dry soil, dry grasses and herbs, and the wind brings subtile smell of the animal.
Raw (for someone probably rough) natural scent.
No beautifying ingredients.
You have to handle the start - a glade, where animals roamed around at night, then the sun roasted it all in heat, extracting smell off the place.

I cannot even imagine Yatagan in daylight in nowadays Prague, full of pimped out hipsters.

This is for a solitaire hunter, who needs nothing but his quiet, powerful strength and intelligence.

Tarzan
Tarzan

I work as an archaeologist and have to make a confession incredible - I found in a cave some Neanderthal bones and this perfume along with other creations of the house of Caron , which shocked me ...

K1
K1

Yatagan; owning its name from a type of sword; is harshly sharp and over-masculine god-mad absolute fragrance. Actually the liquid color and the concrete bottle already have told everything before you smell the perfume, however, the first sniff of this fragrance is always shocking. It’s brutal, rough mesmerizing, charismatic, distinguished, bitter and edgy, not modern nor classic fragrance. Few after deep burnt aromatic herbaceous woody green opening, the castoreum; the darkest of all animalic notes in the realm of smell; appears. This is a heavy-duty fragrance in the middle level with the very color of dark brown/black. Imagine cigar bitterness in your mouth, rainy weather, dark thick overcoat. This is the smell of that time. Yatagan is absolute masculinity, a kingdom in a bottle.

Ron22
Ron22

I got this at a great price, $35/125ml. Solid fragrance, classy, definitely not dated.

suhaesa
suhaesa

a real perfume.. not for the faint hearted.. an original..oriental.. spicy.. woodsy.. herby.. explosive... masculine momb..i personally have it.. and i am a lady.. its a great base like opium ysl and cynibar from estee lauder.. its in that realm of fragrances ..the ones that hit you and last until the morning.. the ones that leave a lasting impression on all those around you ..a strong.. masculine ..dry ..perfume.. fit for winter... autumn nights..will smell great on smokers for smoke will only enhance it and make it more incensey..
yatagan is a strong.. powerful perfume... made for strong powerful men.. with a character.. its a straight up dry incense composition ..that develops and warms up and smells better and better with time..i can smell my uncles wearing it.. its not as refined or as sophisticated as what i was used to smelling on my dad and brothers..its almost vulgar almost hippie.. but this where its sex apleal lies.. and where its magic begins.. its an extremely sexual perfume... its a mate magnet..i have a new one and it smells so gorgeous.. i wonder how the vintages smelled.. i am sure if i dig in my old perfumes i ll find one or two.. but this is a good reformulation.. since many perfumes get destroyed.. with new formulations ..this one doesn't disappoint..
i am a caron lover.. i feel their perfumes are more virgin.. more natural.. more perfumey.. and alot less synthetic.. with the exception of the new line in the square bottles ..caron has always made master peieces.. that will stand the test of time.. and yatagan is defenetly an icon from this prestigiousness hoes...
it is a perfect layering perfume.. its an excellent base for so many orientals and even oud.. if you want to ad that extra depth ..and dimension.. to any new formulation.. yagatan will defenetly do the job and more..
so yes it is a niche.. it is extremely reasonably priced ..and in my opinion is much better and lasts so much longer than 3 and 4 digit killians or creeds
its a real mans perfume..a skin perfume that will smell differently on every individual ..but will defenetlly get compliments ..and leave lasting impressions.. and positive vibs where ever you go ..just use with caution.. if it is for a work place.. and it will smell great for the western noses ..for all others you can spray and enjoy and let all those around you suffocate in pure human bliss...

d04m022011
d04m022011

HIGHLY EXOTIC. REALLY WILD. SCENT OF MALE. ALSO SEEMS MUCH WITH SMELL OF MARIJUANA. SILLAGE HUGE AND LONG. LOVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casavulva
Casavulva

Probably the most masculine fragrance of all time, from name to idea to scent.

Turin on the other hand, claimed Yatagan to be one of the ten best masculines for women (A-Z). Certainly a practical joke, a valuable art for western gentlemen since Castiglione wrote The book of the Courtier (1528).

Or perhaps Turin was ironically refering to the fact that the Yatagan sword is not straight like Excalibur, but curved like a womans lips.

Anyway, Yatagan is the king of pine trees in the form of the actual tree. You get the trunk, the root, the branches, the needles, the resins, the rind, the dry wood, the beetles within, and not to forget: the pee from the beavers.

You also get the forest floor, and a "waxy" texture to the whole thing.

This makes Yatagan the official fragrance for Iron John and the Mythopoetic men's movement, founded in 1978 to counter the feminists. No accident Yatagan was born in 1978 also.

Woody in the extreme, challenging, and not exactly what you wear on a date. Or perhaps you do?

Personally I wear it in golf matchplay. So far I am unbeaten!

Bunino

I originally pointed to its being similar to Tsar. That was an absolute mistake... if anything it's Pino Silvestre meets Antaeus.

I really enjoy it.

Wild scent
When u wear this u must have cowboy boots and cowboy hat with Morllboro cigar in ur lips beacuse ur smell is yatagan...
Scent:9/10
Long lasting:9/10

Obs:dont shoot anybody. ;)

mamali1976

تمامش كرده بودم دوباره خريدم جالب اين بو تلخ تلخ تلخ يه بوى گياهى باحالى داره وقتى ميزنيد حس ميكنيد تو عصر غرب وحشى هستى با يه شلوار پاچه گشاد وچكمه كابويى وكلاه و دستمال دور گردن وسوار يه اسب با كلى طناب كه دارين دور سرتون مى چرخونيد كه بندازين سر گاو بدبخت جدا راست ميگم بوش اصل وسترنه من كه كلى حال ميكنم باحاش ....

Bunino

I smell hints of Chanel's Antaeus in the initial opening but as the scent wears on the pine becomes even more prominent. This is definitely a gentlemanly scent. Well crafted and smooth.

I think it's Tsar meets Antaeus in a way... I'm really enjoying it. I've had to edit this several times to come to this honest, albeit novice review of this superb scent.

woody_aquatic
woody_aquatic

im still deciding how much i liked it, but one thing is clear: monstruous longevity. a scent never lasted so long on my skin.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. It reminds me of TSAR by VC&A. Wears close to the skin with moderate longevity on my skin.

evelynave
evelynave

One of my favorite so called masculines. There are days when nothing else will do. If I can't put my mood into words, usually Yatagan will save me the trouble. Dark, faintly bitter, a little brooding. There's big drama in this stuff.

hamidrezaa
hamidrezaa

Yatagan is indeed a very distinctive and unique scent, and I'm happy to say, one that I absolutely love. I considered wearing this myself, but I decided that it was risky because this fragrance is so very masculine. The rich, resinous chypre base is evident throughout, full of tarry, woody and ambery nuances. I agree that it is acquired taste, so try before buy is imperative in this case. But if you are attracted to bittersweet like me, I have no doubt you will get hooked on Yatagan. It's very rich and long-lasting, and different from almost everything else out. This is a masterpiece of perfumery for men. It is dry, stark, oily, piney, incense-laden, and unlike anything else on the market. Wearing Yatagan is a testament to a true perfume-lover's knowledge of what is possible.

ShotsK
ShotsK

This stuff reminds me of the 70s, I put it on and I feel young, strong and virile, just like I did in the 70s ;). I wore aramis(73) in the 70s when Yatagan was released, I just purchased Yatagan for the first time. It's great, there is nothing sweet about this, it is I believe the most masculine stuff available. My gf likes it which is a bonus, she tells me it's the best scent I have, she notices patchouli. I highly recommend Yatagan, if you give it two or three tries you will possibly become addicted, I have. I can't imagine a young person liking this though, there's no sweetness, just outdoors type smells, I don't get the celery note that some speak of, but different scents for different gents.

Mancorp
Mancorp

I have a feeling that the fearsome reputation this juice has tends to warp the perceptions of those who try it. How else to explain the exaggerated prominence attributed to the castoreum note in the voted scent profile?

To me Yatagan smells like Van Cleef and Arpels PH with the soapiness (labdanum and amber) dialed way down. Note that they were introduced the same year, 1978. Of the two, I prefer Yatagan. The lack of soapiness makes it less dated, but it nonetheless fits perfectly well within the parameters of the male perfumery of the period and its herbal emphasis. The fall/winter wearing recommendation should not be taken seriously. As others here have noted, this works very well for hot weather.

Longevity is about 6 hours. Projection is moderate.

lfmars98
lfmars98

Another old-school classic!! This one is very hard for me to describe because it's so different from anything else I own. It was very off-putting at first, smells dirty yet somewhat fresh. Nothing sweet about this at all. But oddly because it's so different, it has started growing on me and I like it very much now. Moderate sillage and it last 8 hours on me. I don't think anyone under 35 will understand this LOL 8/10.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

To me, smells like a late, scorchingly orange-hot late-August afternoon in rural Texas... A still, old, falling-down wooden barn, alone in a dry yellow meadow, is full of haybales moldering in the airless heat and floating motes of dust. Horse saddles and lariats hanging on the wall.

In other words, to me, it is the ultimate Texas cowboy/rodeo fragrance. (I don't visualize any Asian or Middle Eastern scenes, somehow).

May be the most ultra-masculine scent I know of. Certainly bold, outdoorsy, bone-dry, and utterly devoid of sweetness. As others have stated, it is an "alpha male" kind of scent, and it helps if you naturally rock that mucho-manly vibe.

Intelligent, in no way urban or effete, different, highly-recommended.

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

I got Yatagan recently without having smelled it before - since they don;t sell it in stores around here.

My first impressions were that it smelled kinda dusty like a dirt road when the dust kicks up and you can smell and taste it. It has that aspect to it. It also smells kinda piney like dried pine needles, and has an herbal smell, and there is a sweetish cologne musk too. First smell I could smell the dirt and the deep cologne-ness. It might be kinda patchouli like, but is kinda dusty smelling, and I think that must be the pines and woods.

Now and again when I wear this, and it has come to be less of a strictly dusty dirty pine herbal cologney smell to me, but it is even a bit sweet and slightly soapy smelling.

It gives a take it or leave it feeling. it is definitely not a "clean" smelling scent - it smells dirty, herbal but it is quite charming as well.

rafaelollero
rafaelollero

Brave Heart
My winter Scent

pianist75
pianist75

im opening the box of Yatagan right now as we speak, and I find it very weak! no projection and the strength its for the first couple of minutes then its there but very subtle! I find ELOGE from ETAT LIBRE more powerful and long lasting. Yatagan smells great amazing really! but who wants to wear a cologne like that? cheap price...cheap performance! sorry...I will pass

gishgamesh
gishgamesh

This could easily be worn by both sexes - as masculine as it has been declared, it lacks the blueprint of typical modern masculine scents available today.

I think the scent is well created, but not for everyone. It's extremely dry and arid, it reminds me of a desert! The castoreum is well blended but for those who dislike animalic notes, it is present enough to be a little unsettling.
Fortunately the pine is not overwhelming.

I would recommend trying before buying.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

I first got this because I was attracted to the 'danger' and 'warning' flags that many people had put up about Yatagan. My first impressions were, 'I don't like this. I errr.. suppose it must smell like the nastiness they say it smells like'.

I wonder how I'd have been if I hadn't been sniffing the sweeter Troisiemme Homme and Ormonde Man at the same time?! Skewed impressions heh?

Sure it's sharper than a lot of smells and doesn't have a hint of sweetness (to me), so when you're used to that, Yatagan will seem weird at first. Actually, it's the sweet treatments we've conditioned our noses with that causes some crazy reactions in my opinion, rather than Yatagan itself.

Mid and drydown of current formulation is actually so much more refined and smoother on the nose than say, reformulated Kouros, and way less powerful in opening than Antaeus.

Any perceived pungency in the top notes die off pretty quick, then it becomes a soft, herbal potion that I just crave more and more (especially the opening, to be truthful).

I'd turn to this to cleanse my palette because it's never boring, but dares to be different. I get good longevity out of it and it's pretty spectacular when it delivers it's gentle, tenacious and sexy trail.

While I know some men are shirking away from this, women have always asked me what this is due to it's uniqueness, and refined sexiness. No surprise that some women wear this.

Bold? Yes. Offensive? Current formulation is a like a domesticated tiger. It is a carnivorous feline by nature, but it snuggles up to you and licks you rather than devouring you. Stupendously unique, remarkably magical.

Kain
Kain

I've heard a lot of good things (also bad things!) about this fragrance for years and I didn't have a chance to test it out and see which one is correct until a few days ago that I got a sample.
After putting it on my skin and smelling it, the opening made me smile.
This is just outstanding!
The opening is perfect combination of lots of nots that mixed and balanced together masterfully.
At the opening I can smell a bitter herbal and piny scent with lots of woods and some spices.
There is a warm and sensual amber note here too to balance these bitter herbal and woodsy notes and give them more sensual feeling.
I loved the opening because this fragrance has lots of layers and all the notes are right at their position which makes it very complex.
In the dry down I can smell almost the same smell but now some incense from the base kicked in and gave the scent slightly smoky aroma.
It's warm and semi sweet, but bitter herbal and a little smoky at the same time.
In the base I can feel more changes.
The scent settles down a little bit and castoreum joined the party.
The base is a soft dirty animalic smell with a little bit of sweetness and some woods and a good support of earthy patchouli.
The scent has a mature and classic vibe indeed and also it has a little barber shop feeling that you can find in many classic fragrances back in 70's and 80's, but for me it's still a modern scent and I don't have any problem wearing it because in my opinion it doesn't smell dated.
Projection is really good and longevity is around 10-12 hours on my skin.

راستش شخصا هم چیزای خوب در مورد این عطر شنیده بودمُ خونده بودم و هم چیزای بد و تا بحال فرصتی نشده بود تستش کنم تا اینکه چند روز پیش سمپلش به دستم رسید و فرصتی شد ببینم کدوم گروه درست میگن
وقتی عطرُ روی پوستم زدم و بو کردم یه لبخند روی صورتم نقش بست
پسر این کار فوق العاده اس
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر بوی تلخ و گیاهی خاصی هست که مقدار کاملا مشخصی رایحه چوبها و کمی رایحه ادویه ای باهاش ترکیب شدن
در کنار اینا رایحه گرم و نیمه شیرین کهربا هم به راحتی حس میشه که تلخی گیاهان و چوبها رو کمی میگیره و بوی کلی عطرُ بسیار خوب بالانس میکنه
چیزی که در مورد این عطر خیلی دوست دارم بوی بسیار کمپلکسش هست چون علیرغم وجود رایحه های مختلف همه چیز بصورت جداگانه قابل حس کردنه و همه رایحه ها دقیقا سر جای خودشونن و هیچ رایحه ای آدمو اذیت نمیکنه و این نشون دهنده اینه که عطرساز دقیقا میدونه داره چیکار میکنه
با گذشت زمان و تو رایحه میانی بوی عطر تغییر چندانی نمیکنه. فقط کمی رایحه بخور بهش اضافه میشه و در کنار اون شیرینی ملایم و گرمی عطر و البته اون تلخی گیاهی، یه حس ملایم دودی هم بهش میده
تو رایحه پایه همه رایحه ها تا حدی ملایم میشن و حالا رایحه حیوانی کاستوریوم و کمی نعنای هندی به عطر اضافه میشن
رایحه پایه عطر به بوی ملایم حیوانی و کمی کثیف مانند هست که مقداری رایحه شیرین کهربا و کمی رایحه چوب و البته رایحه مشخص و خاکی نعنای هندی اونو همراهی میکنن
عطر سال 1978 میلادی عرضه شده و طبیعتا بوی کلاسیک و کاملا مردانه ای داره ولی به نظر من شخصا بوش اصلا قدیمی و بابابزرگی و از مد افتاده نیست
اتفاقا برعکس این بو میتونه معرف یه مرد بسیار شیک بوش و با شخصیت و با جذبه باشه
پخش بوش خیلی خوبه و ماندگاری هم بین 10-12 ساعت هست و هیچ مشکلی از این نظرا نداره
کار بسیار با ارزشیه و قیمت بسیار خوبی هم داره

roll4fun
roll4fun

After reading the plethora of polar opposite reviews, I took the plunge and made a blind online purchase. I'm glad I did ! This coming from a guy whose frame of reference is classic Halstons with a mix of Polos, Aquatics, and off the shelf Woody Spicy frags thrown in. Do I like it enough to make it my all time signature scent? No. Enough to wear regularly- No. Enough to wear at times- Hell yes!

So, what is "Yatagan" like to me ? Right off the first spray, I get a very strong initial odor that shouts of masculinity. This is a scent that can transform one from one world into another. I get strong desert sagebrush vibes here, yet I could picture Bond villian Emilio Largo wearing "Yatagan" on the bridge of his yacht.

There is no hint of sweetness here- this seems like Aramis sans whatever floral and fruity notes it had with the earthy/animalic notes dialed up the top of the scale. I'm not getting the pine scent to the same degree that I get in "Polo"- if anything the evolution seems like a flipping cube tug of war between vermouth, and burning sage. I get some leather notes of the old southwestern boot shop genre. I haven't noticed the animal urine notes that some people got, yet it doesn't seem that far removed from crossing the line either.

As for projection, YMMV. Test spray on inner elbow wasn't particularly strong, but the spray on chest and neck sure was. There are very few frags that I can still solidly smell on myself after 4 hours- this one is it.

Would I recommend someone blind buying "Yatagan" as I did ? Well, worse case, you're out ~ $30, yet I suspect that you could find some willing buyers. FYI, I went to checkcosmetic.com website with batch number. Unlike most other frags with 3 year estimated shelf life, "Yatagan" was listed with a 5 year life. I have 35 months left on mine- I just might use it up within that time.

DSun
DSun

I got my bottle today and it was a blind buy, prodded on by the conflicting reviews I have read on this forum. Yes, the initial encounter is grimace-inducing, no argument about that. I have made cringe-worthy concoctions myself, but this one is worse than any that have ever came out of my amateur vials, test tubes and pipettes. However, I have yet to make to get a dry-down as, shall we say, interesting(?) as this one. The comparison to Aramis Devin is inevitable. Yatagan is a stripped down Devin, less syrupy, less sweet, but definitely awesome. Turin was right rating this excellent.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This brew is sharp, sour and dusty, and is more reminiscent to me of high desert sagebrush than any other frag. The first time I smelled it, I thought, "Oh, THIS is what Aramis would have been like if they had pushed it as far as they could." Or what the lumberjack in the Brawny paper towel logo smells like. In my Platonic ideal of Santa Fe, this is what the upscale southwest leather goods shops should smell like, or perhaps the potpourri pots full of wild local herbs in the luxury hotel lobbies.

The scent is woody, leathery, and herbal with hardly any sweetness...dry like certain wines, and drier in fact than most other dry scents out there. It's as though the perfumer limited himself to the slight intrinsic sweetness of the major ingredients, and refused to add any beyond that. Granted there is a pine-forest element, as the consensus seems to be, but I really don't think it's the pine trees that set the stage in Yatagan. Rather it's the dry earth, bushes and grasses that get crushed underfoot in arid mountain regions; it's forest and desert at the same time. I keep expecting my nose to feel dry and my lips chapped as I write this, as if after hiking up in the arroyos all day.

But would I wear it? Maybe. It's sharp in the 70s "power scent" way, but it might still be acceptable with a very conservative spray hand. It's "cologney" in the same way as Aramis (though maybe a bit more comfortably so), so even people who don't like it would at least understand why it smells the way it does. And people who do like it might find it as starkly beautiful as the high desert.

dubairob
dubairob

"No regrets, Coyote - we just come from such different sets of circumstance..."

Yatagan by Caron is a fragrance that needs some time to get your head around. When you think you have a grasp of it, it seems to turn and dart off in a different direction. Notes combine to produce strange accords and accords seem to merge and dilate in and out of focus.

For me, the entry point to Yatagan is visual and oddly cinematic. It is not about Turkish stallions and unsheathed knives and the usual, rather it is that wonderful music documentary by Martin Scorsese, The Last Waltz, featuring that famous Canadian group of musicians, The Band, sharing a concert with some of their friends - musical luminaries from the 1970s. It is especially that wonderful song, Coyote (quoted above) by Joni Mitchell accompanied by The Band which - for some reason! - Yatagan leads me to. Bit of a coincidence, but Yatagan was released the same year as The Last Waltz (in 1978), and seems to carry some of the down-buttoned yet sophisticated charm of those hip times. Certainly, it is redolent of West Coast forests and wild vistas.

Yatagan is currently something that I am acquiring an affinity for. It is - at least to me - undeniably dated, yet that is not a criticism. There is plenty to enjoy in this and the more I wear it, the more I find to enjoy. (I have recently discovered some odd similarity with - of all things - CDG's Odeur 71.) But it is certainly a worthwhile try for anyone trying to broaden their fragrance appreciation. It'll take some work and time, but such is the way with many of life's worthwhile things...

judyk
judyk

LOL! I'm reading all these reviews about what a manly man's scent this is but this reasonably girly girl is quite comfortable wearing it. On my skin it's just pine, oakmoss, basil, a whiff of incense, maybe just a hint of musk and more pine! No alpha male pheromones. It's my beloved Wazamba without the full concert orchestra, and perfectly day-wearable, even to the office.

brandonR
brandonR

Tried as I may, this is one fragrance that I just couldn't wrap my nose around. Keep in mind this review is coming from a Kouros lover if that's any indication of my non prudish mindset when it comes to smells that come out of a sprayer.

However when I smell Yatagan, I can't help to think that it's what the Tate house smelled like just after the Manson Killers fled the scene. Dark, boozy, and hippyish. Really, really hippyish to be precise. We're talking about Crosby Stills And Nash stuck in a 3.4 oz bottle and can't get out.

The opening isn't bad at all. Quite nice infact. Pine trees and booze; two things I enjoy. It's the middle to dry down where I get off the bus. Damp urine laced Underoos in the early morning when you were a kid, mixed with earthy roots and herbs. Not my idea of a trip to Disneyland to say the least. My stepdaughters thought I was smoking pot before I came home from work (don't ask me how they know what it smells like, nor do I want to know. Ignorance is bliss).

All in all, I think I'll go another round with this beast in the future to see if my nose has changed. As much as I disagree with it, I can see a nitch market for Yatagan, as it's dank, earthy and almost gothic olfactory features will be appealing to a few. For some odd reason when I spray it on, the opening reminds me of the old children's story "Hansel And Gretel". Don't ask me why cause I don't know. Anyway, do NOT blind buy this fragrance. To say that Yatagan is an acquired taste is putting it mildly. Either way, love it or hate it, Caron's Yatagan does what it does well.

Osmin
Osmin

... So, one time, two housemates cut some branches, few leaves, bit of grass and soil. All waste was collected in two big plastic garden bags which were left, by mistake, outside for two weeks under regular rain, irregular sunshine and humidity.

Now, Caron does not see his housemates often, due to unsteady working hours, they left the bags in a not so evident place and did not tell him anything, hoping, supposedly, to clean it before Caron had to ask why the bags were still out. They forgot about the waste: he did not know.

When Caron realised what happened, after two weeks, being the only person in the house, he started to clean the waste. He had to remove the waste into smaller bags, so, grabbing mechanically the content of the big bag and filling the smaller was the only way to empty them. When he reached the bottom, and while lifting a pile of small branches with decayed leaves, dirt and some weird insects, all that dipped into two weeks rain, an odour struck him, very familiar, he heard himself saying "Yatagan". The smell was identical: the notes very different: Caron perplexed.

With this story I wish to say that the notes provided by the brands can be misleading.

I know that some might think that this is not a flattering review, quite the contrary, I like both, the perfume and the odour, but not on me.

migueldematos
migueldematos

I just tried it some days ago. I just couldn't smell much of anything. It's too light, too subtle. It would take a whole bottle for me to smell anything. Is this normal???

kenwylde
kenwylde

Yatagan. This is a not just a male scent. This is an alpha male scent. You cannot wear this scent unless you are the type of man who walks into a crowded room and scans the space to see if there are asses that need kicking.

Yatagan is dry, very dry, dark, and oily, resinous smoke and something that can only be described as animalic. It is strength yet not overpowering. It is power yet not overbearing. This is truly a masterpiece.

Yatagan conjures the days when my father and I would rent horses and ride off into the wilderness, through the hills and the forests of the Appalachian mountains. It's the smell of manly men and strong beasts boldly on the move in to the unknown.

Yatagan is the scent of a man on the hunt. Not a stalker or hunter by guile and stealth. But a hunter that walks up to his quarry and engages hand to hand, life and death in the balance, a man with no fear, no regrets. A man with balls. A man with guts. You know the type; but, is that you?

Another great scent that is less expensive than it could be. Cost is not the issue. The only question is: Can you pull it off?

segiofreitas
segiofreitas

Being a fan of Caron, I would like to share some information about “Yatagan”.

The Nose was Gerard Lefort and the launch year was 1976. He worked the fragrance for almost 3 years, after realised “Infini” in 1970.

The bottle design, comes from the 1928 “Eau de Cologne” and shared also for “Pour un Homme” in 1934 and today for “Le 3eme Homme” and “Yuzu”.

The designer was Paul Ternat (1897-1951), who worked with Caron from 1925 untill 1951.

Long Live Caron!

Regards,
SF
Brussels

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

HERBAL MUSK

Upon opening, I thought "I don't know what I'm smelling and I don't want to know".
Maybe a beaver den? Sour and pungent.

It settled into an herbal type of musk scent. Highly unusual. Nothing I want to smell again.

ed
ed

Very masculine but beautiful. My kind of fragrance!

Review no. 2. I'm not sure this suits me. In addition, the pine note reminds me of bathroom products. Will have to work on it. Funny how things smell good or bad depending on the circumstances.

Oslo-fjord

I don't find Yatagan that "monster-strong" some imply. The sillage is only moderate on my skin. I think Yatagan is actually quite wearable, and not so sharp and dirty it's supposed to be. A great winter scent, not for the most formal occasions.

Brain-in-a-vat

I have a new bottle of this with only a few sprays used and have the box too. Anybody want to swap it? (UK)

It's just too strong for me.

spankrabbit
spankrabbit

Curiosity got the best of me and I took a blind chance on Yatagan. I enjoyed darker frags and thought this would be a good shot.

After the first spray, there was an immediate olfactory memory. Somebody in my family had this but I couldn't recall if it was a grandfather or uncle... I don't know but I sensed age in this. I say this as a compliment.

The watercress/celery shock only lasted five minutes. What followed seemed to rotate from cut wood one minute to fall leaves the next. It smells comforting. There's nothing sweet here; maybe some incense notes later in the drydown. It's earthy, musky, smokey...and not for the timid.

estgomdna
estgomdna

If we take out the notion that gourmand = sweet this could be considered one, lots of celery, dry pine, rotting leaves and smoked meat or game would be notes I get. Long lasting and better sillage than most of the stuff out there. It is strong and can be offensive to other noses, especially in the opening or if over applied, it basically says "eat me" both in a good and bad way. This is not an everyday cologne and it could be hard to use during daylight, at least for me.

I blind bought this one mainly because of the price can be found 4.2 oz for under $40 is a really good ounce per dollar ratio. For me it was worth the risk as I found interesting the steep love/hate ratio with this one, fortunately for me it's a keeper.

A nice add on to any collection and if you blind buy this and hate it you can always find someone to give it to.

Brain-in-a-vat

I just bought this blind from all the reviews. I don't know what to make of it yet. It's extraordinarily strong.

I mixed it 1:4 with M&W's 4711 Kolnische Wasser and that gave a very nice effect. The mix combined the best from both this fragrances, toning-down the Yatagan and giving the offspring a spicier and quite longer lasting

ChelseaJack
ChelseaJack

My Wife gave this to me as a present and I like this a lot, not a fragance to wear everyday, but defenitely a keeper. I like strong masculine scents and that is exactly what this one is.

georgequeue
georgequeue

Sounds nice! I'm gonna buy it some time. :)

markino
markino

The master of all mens perfumes. I absolutely adore it!! Back in the 90's i remember me and a friend driving my car...the police stopped us and they asked if we had smoke a joint of grass in the car!!! It was because both of us were wearing Yatagan! We couldn t stop laughing...and the police too!!!!

Perigee
Perigee

I picked up Yatagan on a dare; a dare from Fragrantica in general, which warned that Yatagan was not a safe blind buy. So I had to buy it blind, so I could see why I shouldn't have. It turns out that it is not half as foreboding as it has been made out to be; it just belongs to a certain niche of button-down perfumery that is not for the current generation of aficionados.

Grey Flannel. Green Irish Tweed. Call Yatagan "Scottish Houndstooth," and you have a good idea of its pedigree; Henry Jones (Indiana Jones' overly academic father) would be well fit in Yatagan. The reticence about Yatagan is probably seated in that it doesn't "smell good" in current popular sweet/citrus/spicy/aquatic sense.

Instead, it is dry and refined, not really suited for any outfit in which the shirt is not properly tucked in and enclosed at the top with a tie. It's a perfect gentleman's club scent... provided you know where you can find a real, Mycroft Holmes and M's type Gentleman's Club, and not one with three stages equipped with stripper's poles.

There's a lot of talk here about it's "Dirty" aspect, and how it is meant for rough-and-tumble; Indiana Jones would go for something more outwardly compelling and aggressive, like Kouros or Terre D'Hermes. I find it Yatagan more effective seen as the iron fist in a velvet glove, adding danger to a sophisticated exterior.

As a sophisticated scent, I don't find it to be half as challenging as many of the reviewers here; unlike my beloved Encre Noir, it doesn't stop the the crowd in its tracks and slap them to attention. I've called Encre Noir a hit man - Yatagan is Lex Luthor. It is a perfume of more subtle intimidation. Time and again in the reviews before mine, you see this effect: "I admire it, but I do not love it," "It's a masterpiece but I wouldn't wear it," "Nothing is compromising in this fragrance."

I've tossed a few names out there for you - Encre Noir, Kouros, Terre d'Hermes; if you're a fan, Yatagan Is a safe buy, in my opinion. It's another alpha aspect scent, with a more sophisticated turnout. It's a keeper for me.

pontifex maximus
pontifex maximus

just received a fresh bottle of Yatagan...this new bottle smells much deeper and richer than my last bottle. They've changed the information on the bottom of the bottle too...Reformulation ?

kamilleisamansname
kamilleisamansname

(Excuse the double post. It just dawned on me that I wasn't logged in when I posted my review. Sorry!)

Yatagan smells like pine needles, wormwood, lavender, wood, and a heavy dose of castoreum. Vaguely smells of Jagermeister or absinthe, but without any of sweetness. It's animalic, herbal, resinous, spicy and damn bitter. This is about as masculine as it gets. Yatagan reminds me of a rocky desert: dry, rugged, hot and desolate.

As much as I enjoy Yatagan, I can't say it's something I'd wear in public. It just doesn't seem like something a 20 year old could ever pull off. I know it's been repeated countless times, but it really does take a certain sort of man to wear this. It's one of those polarizing fragrances that everyone should smell at least once.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

Increasingly, I find myself sorting fragrances into 3 categories:

1) Those I love and admire
2) Those I admire but do not love
3) Those I neither love nor admire

Yatagan falls into the second category. It is a wonderfully constructed olfactory experience--woodsy, vegetal, earthy, animalic, redolent of the vast Asian steppes stretching from Turkey to the foothills of the Himalayas. The Genghis Khan of fragrances. I admire it greatly. It is superior in every respect to the watery lime-ade fragrances that dominate the market today and make up the third category.

Alas, I do not love Yatagan. I get no chemical rush from it. I prefer a bit of sweetness, and there is none of that to be found in Yatagan.

Sillage: 5/5

ericrico
ericrico

To approach a written review with Yatagan, one must first understand what the Caron house represents...uncompromising, avant-garde, classic and amazing perfumery - creations go back many decades! Yatagan was first released in 1976. If you haven't smelled Vintage - well, then you have not truly smelled the animalic notes that were once in here. It has been tamed - the Yatagan blade has been "dulled and sheathed", to a degree. However, it is still a wonderful (and perhaps) more wearable scent than before in today's world.

Lessened to a good degree is the castoreum and that note, in and of itself, transcended the entire composition. But, I respect what Caron has done here - as their other two main masculine scents have evolved as well. Sure, one can argue that Vintage of ALL 3 are superior...but we are still left with wonderful scents in the current juice of Caron Pour Un Homme, Le Troisieme Homme and...Yatagan. Without a doubt, this is the most difficult of the three to approach - let alone wear, for some. It is, to me, very good, close to excellent (in current formulation). Vintage is excellent.

The boozy opening is comprised of rich and pungent artemisia (wormwood), deep & resinous galbanum, sharp lavender, along with a nice 'tossed herbal salad' blend of basil, mint and watercress (which create the "celery" accord). If you want to minimize the "celery" accord, spray close and rub in. Really 'stack' the scent - it is more potent and longer lasting this way as well, with slower development. People mention other herbs, including rosemary - which I get the bitter earthiness of, however, it could be an accord. The mint on top is not light or 'fresh' - it is mentholated and comes in like a cool mountain breeze after the warm booziness of the galbanum and artemisia/worm wood calm down. Wow. Not for the faint of heart, still. Caron continues to take pride in ALL of their classic bottlings!

Into the striking heart of fragrant pine needles, woody vetiver, and herbaceous and slight camphorous patchouli...wilderness surrounds you. The aromatics here are wonderful. Oakmoss is listed as a heart note. I do not detect it until a light touch shows (in the reformulation) in the dry down/base notes. This is stark green, dry woodiness and very aromatic throughout most of the wearing in the heart. Possibly my favorite part of the composition as I adore the rich, boozy opening and the segue into this pulsating heart. When you where this, it is best to close your eyes and breathe. It is, like Caron Pour Un Homme and Le Troisieme Homme, truly transcendental and can carry you to a wondrous, far away place.

The base notes breathe through as a slightly dirty, warm musk is the key animalic note now. It is done well here - keeping the Yatagan-vibe as castoreum is only a faint note in the current juice as compared to before. Deep, resinous and still very much a green scent throughout. The key note in the base, for me, is a nice warm leather note, that is more 'raw' leather that is distant from a soft suede and more "fresh-cut" than a saddle note, although it does seem to dry down to that after an hour or so.

Final "note" of discussion - and an important one as it really delivers a lot to the composition. A light smokiness enters with the touch of green moss in the base. That 'incense' accord is actually coming from styrax (or benzoin resin) - a wonderful, smoky note that seems to create plumes that weave their way through to nearly the top opening. Brilliant. It does not sweeten the scent - but, instead adds warm depth and a touch of light smoke. Enchanting and wonderful vibe...

So, where does Yatagan take me? If I close my eyes and meditate - I am riding on a mighty steed, in the cool crisp air surrounded by forest on a leather saddle. In another life, an Ottoman Turkish soldier on horseback, my sabre (a sharp Yatagan) held in my hand! I smell the fresh wood of the pine trees in the coniferous forest around me, pungent green notes, fresh-cut herbs and smoky resins from the bushes that grow out of the damp soil. I am alone in the wilderness...far away in a distant time & place.

You cannot possibly over-think this fragrance. To say it is 'masculine' is completely rhetorical and meaningless. The best comment I received while wearing it was from my wife, who said, "...it smells exotic and rich, yet comforting." It is not about 'smelling like celery' at all - in actuality, Yatagan is a work of olfactory art that only some will enjoy wearing. Not for everyone - as no bottle from the timeless and uncompromising house of Caron is. To me, true excellence in composition. You choose when you wear it...

Cheers.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

I smell nothing here but celery seed; suddenly I want a bloody Mary.

Failing to grasp why this is considered a masculine powerhouse.

sussex2
sussex2

I love Caron's Pour un Homme and Le 3e Homme so decided to buy this one blind. After receiving and trying it I wouldn't recommend this approach to others.

The Yatagan bottle looks identical to the other two save for the different labels. The ingredients in all three fragrances share the same high standards of quality. But the Yatagan blend is far removed from the other two in style.

It is much louder for one thing. Wearing this on a breezy day one could imagine passers by smelling the fragrance on the other side of the street – possibly on the other side of a busy motorway!

And where the other two are quite delicate and obviously beautiful Yatagan has the heady scent of pine needles at their most radiant in the midst of a hot summer's day. It took me back to long past surfing trips on the Atlantic coast in the south of France. Setting up camp amongst the ubiquitous pine trees.

I have to agree with Galliano. I can't smell castoreum here either.

I also feel that I have to answer Bandit's question, “Why would a man want to smell like a conifer? “ The pine is almost overpowering in the initial phase. Once the fragrance has settled a little, however, I find there is almost a leather note hiding amongst the astringent pine. Certainly wood notes.

It is quite different to the other fragrances I own or have tried. Its very striking and fills a gap in my fragrance wardrobe that, until now, I was unaware existed. In light of this I can easily forsee times when only Yatagan will suffice. And it is for these reasons that I would be happy to smell like a conifer from time to time.

As I metioned earlier this is probably not a safe buy. I would recommend sampling first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addendum

I have since come to the conclusion that Azzaro Pour Homme and Yatagan are illegitimate brothers in fragrance. Yatagan is to pine as Azzaro is to Anise. Although Yatagan is the slightly louder brother they are reasonably similar in form.

But that poses the question: who is the philandering father?

At first I thought it might be the beastly Kouros sowing his wild oats with carefree abandon. A quick check of the birth certificates revealed that this was impossible. Yatagan and Azzaro Pour Homme both came to be sometime in 1978 while Kouros still had another three years before he rudely burst onto the scene in 1981.

Then it hit me. The truth was even more shocking than I could have guessed. These two have a far grander bloodline. I can reveal, for the first time, that the father is none other than great Knize Ten himself. Oh the scandal.

Bandit
Bandit

This is for me the male equivalent to: "Why would a woman want to smell like a flower?" (Coco Chanel)

Why would a man want to smell like a conifer?

It's very realistic, especially in the beginning and not the only perfume with conifer notes and still a good perfume...

But to me it seems weird to want to smell like that.

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

GREAT EVERYDAY FALL WINTER SCENT AND AGAIN AFFORDABLE. I LOVE IT.

Congratulations to Yatagan for making it from 1978 to date. There might be some unseen qualities in the frag that my nose could not detect, although I do appreciate the piny accords that resemble a forest, not green, but in decay, after a long rain. In that sense it is evocative, piny and resinous, as one mentioned. But when worn, one forgets all the romantic adjectives, and asks himself “Why this cologne is on me...?”. Good work of perfumery, but not for me.

Sacredsystem
Sacredsystem

Yatagan is without a doubt one of the most beautiful and stunning works of art the perfume universe has ever known. Citrus? Don't even think about it! Roses? Are you kidding? Iris? Don't insult me please! Lets get something straight here, Yatagan will eat and spit out most of the garbage being produced today by so called perfume houses. Wear Yatagan and open the doors of your senses to an experience they will never forget. A masterpiece!

hadi2073
hadi2073

اگر بخوام کوتاهو مفید توضیح بدم بسیار خوشبو و کلاسیک و تند شبیه آزارو پور هم هست ولی نه کاملا

I first tried this in 1979. Many years has past and i could never find this where i lived until now. and my friend this has been a chase. I remember i kept the empty bottle for years , just to get a lung full every now and then. Once my jealous wife told me i couldn't wear it alone, i knew she was up to something or maybe i was too. after all maybe its only me, but are all men passing by trying to stay in the direction of the wind yet too shy to ask about it and women may want to be closer to the source?

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

This is an appealing scent if you want to smell like celery all day. Yatagan is the oddest, most unusual pungent mess I've ever encountered in a men's fragrance.

jht4060
jht4060

The Yatagan is an Ottoman saber that was used as a weapon and as an ornamental symbol. The name is perfect for this remarkable scent. Especially in the opening, Caron Yatagan is sharp and aggressive, evocative and attention grabbing. I am walking in a parched pine forest with a smoking chimney in the distance, stopping now and again to raise to my nose a handful of dirt and needles caked with pine sap.

Some will find Yatagan unpleasant. It is emphatically out of the ordinary. For those who hate it, some favored adjectives might be bitter, urinous, dirty, tarry, sweaty, skanky. Yatagan lovers might use those words too, but they would be mixed with words like evocative, sharp, gorgeous, avante garde, piney, resinous, unique.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I first became curious about this fragrance via Luca Turin's writing. Pre-reformulation Cartier Santos was a favorite of mine; Turin wrote, "If this is the sort of thing you like try Yatagan instead."

The first time I smelled it was on a test strip - it smelled complex and heady - nice, just my kind of thing. The second time I had it sprayed on my wrist, just to be sure I liked it. And I did and do. During a day of repeatedly smelling the same old clean/fresh/aqua scents, this was distinctive and welcome, like spending a day listening to adenoidal teens and suddenly hearing a rich baritone voice.

My wife gets it as a leather scent... but leather isn't one of the notes...

--------

Now I own it; a birthday present from my daughter.

I wore it today for the first time; having no meetings I figured it was "safe" to do so. When I first received it in the mail I sprayed some on a business card and noted that it was strong and persistent. I've learned that sometimes you have to figure out how to wear a specific scent: how many squirts do you use, whether or not you spray it on your tee shirt for added longevity, etc.

Yatagan is a very complex scent; when I first smelled it on a paper strip my first thought was, "Oh, this is good stuff" as the notes hit my nose sequentially: bitter herbs, leather, animalic notes, woods, etc. Speaking in terms of music, it is not a solo instrument sonata, it is a symphonic movement. What's more, it's in an unusual key. Yatagan is very controversial; note all the lengthy reviews here. Some use the word "infamous."

I am convinced that Luca Turin is right when he calls it a five star masterpiece. A paper strip representation of it is incomplete - it has to be worn on the skin.

On me it's wonderful. That is, the scent I'm getting from it on myself. The ultimate judge is my wife. Yatagan's "head space," that is, the scent of it in the air, is warm and well modulated, woodsy and a bit herbal. When I smell the inside of my tee shirt top, however, I get smoky, deep notes and a tone (once again using musical metaphors) that I recognize from Chanel Antaeus, which I've loved for years. This, I suspect, is the castoreum.

You have to be confident to wear this stuff; I suppose it helps that I have a rather big personality. It is very masculine - I cannot imagine a woman wearing this and successfully pulling it off. It would also be unseemly on young men, I think.

I love it!

tymanski
tymanski

love it! dry, warm & astringently woody/deep; a walk in a sun-kissed evergreen forest..... timeless and unique. This a fantastic potpourri of tart artemisia, sharp lavender, old school (& very dry patchouli) over a bizarrely sweet-ish leather. This is neither harsh, nor dated. It slowly releases its mystery over many hours and comes to a very satisfying denouement in a pine-amber-leather haze. Really great, and an absolute bargain (esp compared to some of the Amouages & Malles I have....). No doubt: a masterpiece!

mrluctoretemergo
mrluctoretemergo

i put this one on 'like' ... why ?
I hate yatagan on myself (= burnt celery) but i gave it to my dad...and when he's wearing it...i love it...i really do...isn't that a sad/nice story...?
Does anyone else have had this experience ?
This frag is a mystery 2me....

9-na
9-na

This scent is love at first smell for me. It’s very familiar, too. I know where to go when I want to smell it in the wild, so to speak. Rooty, gardeny, grassy and leafy, with celery and tomatoes in it, and with pines and birches overhead, with the honest sweat from haymaking season. It lasts for at least three days and nights on me, the longest the scent took sometimes to leave was two weeks.

denty62
denty62

Loved the smell, woody warm,a shame it did not like me! had to give away to my daughters friend, he was well happy, every time i wore yatagan it gave me a headache and nausea....still a nice unusual smell.....

michael.j
michael.j

This stuff is amazing. Genius. Yatagan isn't just a fragrance; it's a fragrance category. This scent rewards those who patiently study it. And it delights the passing admirer. There's a reason great houses like Caron are still around. Take L'Anarchiste. I can't wear it because it makes me nauseous, but its brilliance and complexity are beyond question. If I could wear it I certainly would. Caron is a deservedly noble house because its fragrances are as much about cerebral stimulation as they are sensory experience.

antfarm
antfarm

Hmm, I didn't get any pine from this. While most people felt this scent was foresty, I was most reminded of a desert landscape.

Yatagan is very dusty, hot, urinous, bone dry, and a tiny bit herbal. I enjoy it, but I think most would find this to be a challenging fragrance that isn't particularly pleasant.

All I can say is even though I think it's sexy in an odd sort of way, this is not how I'd want to smell personally (ie. like a camel eating parsley marked me as its territory).

jozemo
jozemo

A stand alone,man against the elements,a bold cold weather fragrance,you can't give damn when you spray this juice,this is a great cologne ,use to wear this years ago,just rediscovered this "GEM" recently.I don't give a damn! so it's getting sprayed....LOL!

I have learned yet again that notes/perfumes that are commonly described as dirty or skanky don't rub me the same way as these reviewers. I'm glad that I don't think this is perfume such an incredibly daring statement, if I did I think the true art of perfumery would be dead. Anyways...

Yatagan conjures for me the feeling of an early morning walk through high desert pinon forest after a good scrub down in a cold clean river. I feel it evokes a kind of cleanliness that these days is usually achieved through laundry musks and ozonic notes. Thankfully these notes are completely absent in this dusty forest scrubland. Sure there's dirt here, but it's been baked to an aseptic condition, there is no moist ripeness to be found here. The use of what smell to me like caraway and galbanum that are frequently referenced as "celery" round out the herbal composition without taking it anywhere near chicken stock territory. It seems how we perceive smell is through a filter of memory, and if your herbal memory databse has only experienced these kinds of notes in foody circumstances than I can see why it seem so savory to you. In other words: tame and sheltered suburbanites beware- gardeners, nature lovers and daring suburbanites- do not fear.

If you are the kind of person that likes crushing leaves between your fingers, going for hikes in the high country or or just generally being outside in nature, or smelling way different than any of your urban friends, you may well appreciate this fragrance. If you do like it, you will be even more grateful for the low price. Sample first!

Pasxos
Pasxos

Very unique combo of herbal,resinous,and rooty notes.
By the way,the "celery" note is not celery ,actually i'ts galbanum .

Very good.

Espi
Espi

After testing Yatagan for the first time I start to wonder whether it is such a great idea for a relative newbie like me to test 'semi-blind', viz. without looking up notes.
First impressions often impact the entire perception and are hard to extinguish. For Yatagan, the first impression is to smell herbal chicken soup or some type of herbal pasta.
Mind you, it doesn't smell totally wrong (unlike some of the urn samples by Caron that turned me off), especially because I had high hopes after selecting Yatagan out of the list of master pieces according to Luca Turin's Perfume Guide.

After looking up the notes and reading reviews, it wasn't too hard to understand why I was thinking of soup: mentioned are basil, water cress and mint (not here), tarragon (Parfumo) and several others wrote about smelling celery (a note that is absent in every note declaration), while it is very well possible the castoreum-note caused the idea of smelling chicken soup.

As much as I tried, I couldn't really notice much of the woodsy notes in the drydown, quite likely caused to a malfunctioning nose (dairy-allergy!) as well as smells of real chicken in the kitchen. I feel like a betrayer not being able to appreciate this master piece due to wrong first impressions.

This is to be continued later in spring, when Yatagan gets another chance as a seasonal pick.

X fragrant
X fragrant

...Lavender, galbanum, mint and artemisia right off the top create a dark bitter chocolate and cognac accord. One of the most memorable opening of any I've ever smelled.
In the heart....vetiver, patchouli, oak and incense live in harmony for 6-8 hours...fit for cuddling by a fire in the nude sipping hot chocolate.
...until finally it finishes off in an accord reminiscent of post-coital mornings, thanks to the castoreum.

vgd
vgd

Pure wood... Like a woodshed smell. That s awesome for wood lovers. Has a huge projection and lasting. Farther i dont smell a sharp dirty notes.

HSs320
HSs320

Wintertime and Yatagan, perfect!

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Splendid, a forest in the night and wet, wet mud, with an intense fog, is the image that comes to me when I feel this aroma. He has a dirty looks intriguing, but it is exciting, enjoyable and so contradictory, I feel artemisia-moss-pine with a musk dirty scent, i think it is masterpiece!

princeofegypt
princeofegypt

stunning and to my surprise i didnt find it that daring i guess i like it alot that i cant see how any1 wont apperciate this art my sis hates it though but i still wear it i put it in summer spring fall and winter !!

if you dont like it at first or dont know what the fuss about try it again be patient with this one as its complicated i get also a hash smell from it dont know why i am getting it dont like it still its ok people like justin biber anyway

word-doctor
word-doctor

BBBB (Blind Bought Big Bottle) based on reviews here and to fulfill my quest for a hypermacho, non-fougere wood-based frag. My first hit of this confirmed that I had found EXACTLY what I wanted. The predominant note is, to me, more cedar than pine, or maybe "dry evergreen" (there's some cypress (yes I know they drop needles) there, too). I also get oak. It's not the sourish "elm" note you get when splitting wet oak. More like sawdust from seasoned oak being sawn into quarter cuts.

Aside: Y'all will note that I am badly uncertain about describing perfumes but quite sure about lumber and firewood. Y'all might subsequently understand my ambivalence toward aquatics and my attraction to bombs.

This is probably the frag that allows me to pick up the most separate notes. In addition to the aforementioned woods, I get the artemesia (opening), a hit of the beav, and a little bit of patchouli.

Just for fun I applied a drop of "Arabic wood" oil on the back of my hand, then layered with Yatagan. Very, very akin to high quality attars except with no rose or sweetness whatever. This combo isn't a 4th generation sultan or Lawrence of Arabia. It is a crazed minor prophet after a thorough bathing.

Yatagan is astounding and I'm grateful to the community for leading me to it. Inaccessible/difficult? Yes, to many. But the quality to cost ratio is off the charts and this suckah demands respect.

Scent: 10+
Sillage: 6
Longevity: 7

ezequiel91

Where are the similarities with Polo green?? I'm a huge Polo fan, and can't find them. Yatagan is herbal, smokey, dirty,a brown, fragrance. Polo is green, piney, no smoke at all, very clean...Two giants, but no similarities to my nose... I find them very different.

bporter
bporter

Just recently purchased my first botle of Yatagan and I think it's absolutely incredible. Very bold, warm, pungent, spicy, and musky. Pine, Oak Moss, Celery, and Castoreum seem to dominate. Distinctly old school in it's feel, Yatagan is nothing like mainstream fragrances of today. To me Yatagan is something like Ralph Lauren Polo meets Givenchy Gentleman. Decidedly masculine, robust, and a bit rugged.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

There's some kind of conspiracy going on here! I feel I am the only person in the whole wide Fragrantica world who loathes and detests Yatagan with a passion! There are no negative reviews here! I wrote a polite review back in late 2010, and I see it has now been removed. Maybe I have an immature nose (I don't think so)but I found this concoction to be truly repulsive - my husband for whom I bought it blind did not like it either. Well congratulations all you Yatagan lovers, you win! Just don't come anywhere near me while wearing it.

carpdragosandrei
carpdragosandrei

This is Russell Crowe in Robin Hood. Dirty, Confident, Heroic!

For me!? Cigars, Whiskey and Yatagan; that's the way i like it!

By the way, don't look for compliments when you are wearing this, look for envy in their eyes.

BRAVO Caron!

marioslg3
marioslg3

got this today from the post...it does not remind polo green...they are of the same era but two different macnificent perfumes.
this is more herbal and smoky, polo is more leathery and tobacco type.
will revert
After 30 minutes, you are left with a dirty castoreum smell and at the backround, some smokey herbs. The castoreum reminds more or less Ambrarem, but Ambrarem is sweet smokey castoreum, this is dry smokey herbal.
Generally, is not a perfume that you can easily wear in our days so be careful and do not buy this blindly. Smell before you buy.

roseau
roseau

Lovingthealien, marry me! <3

Nice review
I'm in love with Yatagan. And I'm a troubled old girl who has practiced fencing for a while. Yatagan is probably one of the true originals, I have never smelled something remotely similar to it.
I think the daring "flowerlessness" of the notes makes it so decadent while it shares its ripeness and its deep breath with all the creations of the House of Caron.
Sublime.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I had a terribly long review written up, but I decided to keep it short and simple.

Yatagan is, by far, the most daring mainstream release for men in the history of modern perfumery. Strong, bitter herbs, damp woods, and an incredibly dirty musk are all wrapped into the delicate skeleton of lily-of-the valley. Yes, you heard me correctly: lily of the valley! The end result is something magical that hasn't occurred in a major perfume house since - A fiercely natural-smelling fragrance that exists completely outside of the boundaries of modern perfumery, yet is totally wearable and appealing on an instinctual and intellectual level. Yatagan is one of the five or so fragrances I would present to someone who I wanted to educate on the real artistry of perfumery.

Buy it before the industry collapses!

Oslo-fjord

Smells a bit like celery, but I like it!

ezequiel91

YATAGAN: THE PERFECT SCENT!!!! Just PERFECT. Now I need a full bottle. Es absolutamente mi idea de la fragancia perfecta en su tipo. 110/100.

MarkT
MarkT

The smell of exotic resinous brush being blasted by the merciless sun of an anvil flat desert plain. The combination of the dryness of oak and other white wood scents with galbanum, rosemary and other resin like notes creates a captivating aroma evoking the orient, but without the heavy incense, spice Oudh or florals usually found in such perfumes. The result is one that conveys strength and power without the slightest hint of decadence.
A work of genius, and if you can carry it off (and live in a hot dry climate) the perfect work/daytime fragrance. Looking at the other reviews, I see a split between those who perceive this as a desert scent- "australian brush" and those who perceive it as a pine forest/christmassy scent. Next time I get a chance to travel somewhere cool, I'll bring a decant and see if this is a scent that adapts itself to climate and wearer.
Regarding quality- this EDT (really? EDT?) last 6-8 hours on my skin, which normally eats any scent in less than 6 hours, and has 'across the room' silage. This is a top contender to become my signature work scent.

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

Hmmm, at first spray all I could smell was celery and Thanksgiving dinner! This is a loud one and I love it! After reading through the reviews here, I can certainly detect the spices used in this fragrance. Yatagan is certainly an original and for the first time outside of niche, I can actually detect individual notes. This fragrance is not for the Aquatic lovers, you gotta have a lot of nerve and a lot of courage to pull this one off.

victorydog
victorydog

Yatagan is a dead ringer for a pine scented Christmas candle I remember as a child. Strong pine with sweet and smoky incense undertones. I love it, but it can't be worn eveywhere.

babak125
babak125

وای وای وای
یه عطر قدیمی ناز که بوی خاص و عجیبش هیچوقت کهنه نمیشه
ترکیبی فوق العاده برای افراد خاص کلاسیک پسند
نمیدونم کجا خونده بودم یه عده میگفتند بوی حشیش میده.با توجه به اینکه حقییر به ناچار مدت دو ماه روزی سه نوبت دم خور یک حشیشی قهار بودم و از نزدیک (نزدیک میگم یه چی میشنوی..در حد سانتیمتر)به نحوه استعمال این ماده مخدر و بوی علف گون اون آشنایی کامل دارم قبول کنید که اصلا بوی حشیش نمیده.بلکه یه ترکیب گیاهگون عجیب غریبه که نظیرش رو ندیدید
وای دلم تنگ شد برای بوش من برم یه کام بگیرم
تاپ بودن رایحه:9/10
پخش بو:8/10
ماندگاری:8/10
ارزش خرید:9/10

xerxes
xerxes

Today bought a 125 ml. I love it, it kills everything ,so heavy, don't overuse it.the name should be altered to Machogan, because only a Macho can wear this.

Also I love bottle design, so chic.
Thanks CARON!

Pari88
Pari88

Strong, Wild & Free! Natural, Real, Full of Life. Nothing fake, nobodies pretending, just in your face and raw.

Think Wolverine. It smells wildly sexy on a man, any time any place. A woman can easily play it off as well, considering the occasion, attire, and character that she would have to have (not chemistry, character). Classic frag here. A very natural, dominant pine and leather smell, great for outdoors, intimate settings, and can easily be worn traversing through the concrete jungle.
Yatagan: For the Manliest of Men and a special breed of Women.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I had noticed that many people consider Yatagan a wintertime scent and I could understand that but I have to say - I wore this last week during the nasty 4/5 day, 100+ degree heat wave here in Chicago, in no way a dry desert heat but I-feel-like-I'm-walking-through-water,road-buckling,train-derailing,midnight-feels-like-high-noon misery and I think wearing this scent got me through. No kidding.

Let me explain. I've been keeping my "frag-of-the-week" in the refrigerator over the summer because I find it very refreshing (give it a try). Yatagan is a very bracing, icy, pine woods, herbal mix that feels medicinal, not in a gross way but in a healing and good for the body way, like some special potion. I can't see this frag as an "oriental" but as true "aromatic." I really liked this.

Yatagan is extremely woodsy, but not like the enchanted, delicate, romantic woods of L.T. Piver's Lotion Pompeia but rugged, cold, rocky, unforgiving woods the way I picture the Scottish Highlands to be like. This frag may not be for everyone but if it suits, it's very adventurous and exciting.

Love it!

Addendum: One of the reviewers said that her tomcat hissed at her so I decided to test this on my lady cat - she sniffed and started to lick my arm! I tried it with my sugar glider - he sniffed, grabbed my arm in his little hands and started to lick too! (of course, I wouldn't let them lick perfume, that's no good) but the critters can be the most honest critics sometimes.

fuggerone

heavy stuff for sexy men!

dromidreza
dromidreza

دقیقا 20-22 سال پیش میزدم.الان دیگه علاقه ای به خریدش و بو کردنش ندارم به دلایل شخصی.یادمه ماندگاری خیلی خوبی داشت.یادش بخیر.یاتاقان هم یاتاقان های قدیم.

andy
andy

its really an addicting masterpiece and its truly a work of art! the green abrasive/caustic top notes in this fragrance give way for a macho mossy chypre and then it gets warmed up with rich spices and some animalic notes and really delivers better than most other frags.

I normally collect gormand scents and love sweet scents but this one actually does a great job for what its sopposed to do. I love the smell of yatagan because its a very enigmatic unique scent that will do different tricks ever time you give it a chance.

when u get green notes and the dry woods in this u get to the chypre part of this fragrance and then the castorem, musk and woodsy notes give it a very exotic and unique type of drydown which will actually do quite well and its well worth EVERY scent u pay.

And by the way the reformulation is still quite strong and just as good, and this scent could easily become somebodies signature scent

Its seductive, masculine, commanding and one of the FEW "different" outdated scents that have appeal

emily7
emily7

Indeed, this cuts through the air like a saber.
Sharp and thin green pine freshness disturbed by heavy notes of burnt wood and smoke - a shocking opening that bites the nose with its powerful, peppery-like aura and tightens the throat with the ever uncompromising galbanum grip. Dangerous stuff.
Evokes image of a runaway Janissary concealed in the wild woods, still covered by the smell of plunder, slaughter and desolation. Not sexy, not even for the 14th century.
Luckily, this is Caron, 1976. As the pungent top notes yield, the second, mysteriously hidden theme begins to reveal itself; soft, powdery lavender (to me much more refined than the lavender in Pour un Homme) joined with warm, sweetish amber - seduces the wearer and anyone nearby with the slightest movement of the scent-drizzled wrist, with ease. Beautiful, manly, full of character, most interesting blend of the opposite themes, capable of playing lovely, imaginative games with the wearer's mind and senses.

fuggerone

powerful and gothic and wild..gotta be a die hard type to use it!!!

SilverFire
SilverFire

In Soviet Russia, Yatagan wears you.

Goes on with this curious spicy+soapy vibe, and then shortly thereafter, comes the bitter herbal blast, on a pale horse. STRONG stuff, but as it fades, it combines with a different spice (cumin?) or maybe musk, that smells like raw, olde, royal power -- like that of a knight back from battle. At the moment, it's faint, because the bitter herb (which smells like black pepper to me) is still dominating, but it smells good. Then it takes a sharp green turn, like newly-upturned dirt -- that kind of natural and virile scent -- yet still peppery. This stuff is MANLY. But six hours of crushing bitter herb makes me feel like I'm breathing sawdust.

On subsequent wearings, it does not calm down. Even two dabs to the inside of my elbow produce the back-of-the-throat rasping/choking sensation, which lasts for six hours. I think I must be allergic to those bitter herbs that are so prominent in this fragrance.

I tried, but I can't wear this. Definitely sample before you buy.

btlc19
btlc19

Yes hello. My name is Tuck Burnette and I wanted to mention something here that may need to be corrected.

You all have here that one of the top notes in Yatagan is lavender but it bears checking on since one of the first things they will tell you at the house of Caron on Lexington Avenue in New York is that Yatagan is an awesome fragrance and is made with absolutely no flowers. No flowers at all. Whenever someone asks me what I have on I tell them its something from the 70's made with no flowers called the Yatagan.

Anyway just wanted you to know that Caron and the American Ambassador for its House will tell you the same thing.

Best Regards

T.

Finisterle
Finisterle

I bought it and I hated it
I knew I would hate it but I did buy it
I hated it so much I used it as toilet refresher
It hated having to refresh anything and didn't work as a refresher at all
Now I hate myself for having used up all of it in a useless way
So I will buy some more soon
I know I'm going to hate it - and myself for having bought it again

jgirgar
jgirgar

Man I love this! Dry herbal, bracing, and fresh. Lovely fragrance where I can see Aramis 900 as a distant cousin. Very easy to wear and quite frankly you need to pull the trigger several times to have a lasting effect. For me, I wish this came in a parfum or an "intense" version. Everyone's skin reacts with fragrance a bit different and mine can sometimes eat up a scent. Very classy and I can see this would go well with a nice suit. Definitely a keeper in my collection. Unique. JG 040112

jujy54
jujy54

First impression: cigar shoppe. Nostalgia, since my favorite rel was my grampa, who smoked Perfecto Garcias from Havana (I still have the box). A bit overwhelming to be unisex, tho I might include a slight spritz under a floral. I'm just not badass enough to take it straight on.

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

Vetiver. Patchoulli. Amber. Celery seed or celeriac. This is what the wood table of a middle eastern spice market would smell like after decades of having the oils baked in by the blistering sun.

Yatagan is not for everyone. Not sporty, not bright, clean, or green. It is an exotic accord, atypical compared to the usual men's perfumery. And I could not stop smelling it on myself all day. It changes nicely throughout the wearing, while maintaining its central themes.

Yatagan starts off with a big blast of celery, wormwood and pine, and transitions into an excellent accord of patchoulli, vetiver, pine needles, and wood. As the day lingers on, it's woody, musky, and just a little bit animal, like a low-throated growl in the shadows of the underbrush.

jrichart
jrichart

Yatagan es la fragancia más masculina que he tenido la oportunidad de probar, su masculinidad únicamente se equipara a los powerhouse de los 80 como son Antaeus, Santos, etc. Yatagan es un perfume con notas animales y muy herbal que puede chocar en un principio pero poco a poco y día tras día siendo pacientes es cuando lo aprecias. Yo la primera vez que lo probé en un corte inglés me resultó un olor casi fecal, posteriormente decidí darle otra oportunidad y compré un sample en the perfumed court y paradojicamente se convirtió en uno de mis perfumes preferidos por su asertiva masculinidad y el que no descarto comprarlo algún día pese a mis veintidós años. Como curiosidad, el trío de los masculinos de Caron, me ha hecho pensar en que Caron podría pasar por una casa de perfumería Niche, por el sencillo motivo de que sus frascos son sencillos y con una simple etiqueta.

iMaverick
iMaverick

What's the fuss about Yatagan? It's safe to say that it is not a scent that makes you feel instantly comfortable wearing it, but it certainly can give you an empowering feeling. Like its namesake, it certainly cuts the air with a sharp, bitter, green, and shrill opening, and if you distract yourself trying to catch up with its barrage of notes, you'll miss the refreshing mint note, as if your father had just come out of the shower, teeth brushed, along with the scented trail of soap and aftershave. Then there was a wave of what I would guess would be civet, lavender and castoreum. It then becomes soapy, powdery, green and spicy--you start to take notice of a pronounced vetiver note perched side by side with a celery note that seems to smell more rooty and woodsy rather than the vegetable stalk. Yes, we are definitely working with the seeds of the plant. As the celery fades or rather settles, I find the smell getting warmer, stays powdery and definitely gains a sensuality, all without sacrificing its dark and quiet prowess. Definitely not a loud scent, but noticeable because of its strangeness, and by all means follows that dark, mysterious Caron style, composition, and tradition. Le Troisieme Homme seems to have been born from Yatagan's bloodline, though Yatagan doesn't possess the rose and slightly vanillic notes. What would one wear with this scent? A somber flannel shirt, or a tweed jacket, or most positively a pair faded black jeans, hightops, and an old crumpled t-shirt because Yatagan definitely has a bit of badass built right in. I think it smells best when sprayed on clothes--its fun beginnings seem to stay around much longer.

oxm

Yatagan is pure power behind its dark color and amber (almost dark) maintains an incredible heat, cut grass fermenting in the sun, his body unnaturally heavy alcohol, smoke from an oil tanker that sails the seas so much wood and wood perfumed, is considered as a winter scent, but by testing the spray carefully.
The fragrance has an evolution (on me) very
marked, is evolving at an incredible rate, there seems to be an aurora borealis as the succession of the notes that compose it, the ending is creepy: Caron has created a product to be handed down to posterity.
Must try.

krmarich
krmarich

This was a blind buy, 4.2 oz hefty bottle for under $30 USD!!! My interest was soley influenced by the reviews below. I am not disappointed at all! Yatagan is a peculiar and strange club that I am proud to be a part of!

I wont go into the notes. There are covered well below. There arent that many of them to begin with, however the combination is one of the best. A fan of "classic era all mans" offerings, Paco Rabanne PH, Azarro, Anteus and Kouros, this is right up my ally. Or should I say forest path? Its more like 1978 B.C. from the frozen steppes. Caron is genius!

How it has escaped me all of these years is a mystery. Now it will begin to take its place in my history. It is nothing short of brilliant. Since this is my first encounter with it-ever so modern! Its an extremely elegant and well dressed coctail party serving the richest gin martinis ever. After the party, I have this strange dream...

Prehistoric pagan holy water, frozen lakes, fierce howling winter winds through tall pine trees, smoldering fires casting long shadows on the cave walls, primal distant drumming, furs, dim lights, naked, dirty, primal, rough caveman sex on hard rocks!

Update 7/17/2012 It a very hot summer and this is one of those surprises that shouldnt work, but does in the heat. The current formula seems much stronger in the hot & dry evironment. Perhaps thats its 1001 Arabian Nights appeal.

calyx93
calyx93

I've secretly loved and worn this for years, but very few of my friends would confess to liking it - especially straight from the bottle. Most wrinkle their nose and wonder how anyone would dare to wear it or could dare to pull it off.

But, I won't add anything new in terms of notes, type of fragrance, or proper use of it. However, I will share that I discovered that one of my most cherished fashion/creatve icons - Iris Apfel (look her up, in case you don't have a reference) - wears this proudly and owns it in quantity. Brava!

If a grand-dame like herself can wear this whilst rubbing elbows with the fashion cognoscenti and downtown darlings of NYC - then certainly I can too. Proof that the attitude of the wearer allows ANYONE to pull off ANY fragrance they so choose to wear.

I think I'll spend tomorrow shopping around town while leaving an intriguing trail of a most distinctive scent in my wake. Proudly too!

al.to
al.to

dirty animalic
pine laurel and artemisia with some dust.
only for winter
aggressive

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

Wow! How do I describe this sample from The Perfumed Court?
Initial impression: herbal, including basil & something else…
@ 5" in, I'm picking up another vegetal note- a clean celery (IFF's Vertofix?). No lavender yet, & no pine yet at least not of the resinous, evergreen, unless, just a whiff of dried, seasoned pine lumber.
@ 10" Perhaps there's also a hint of the celery morphing into wormwood or vetiver. I also get memories of Hugo Spirit with a touch of Ungaro pour L'Homme III. Is there an unlisted cumin or curry note?
@ 20" I'm picking up additonal notes that remind me of the scent of the bark on the Live Oak in my back yard
@ 30" the same
@ 60" no change
@ 2 hrs no change except projection fading
I don't get it- after multiple tests over several days, it's another nice Caron. What's there to say "Yuck" to?

UPDATE: In fact, I liked it enough to get a full bottle. Not an every day go-to formula, but a really nice change.

lushallegories
lushallegories

This is considered an oriental chypre. The overall chords for me are incense, conifer forest, and warm spice. My colleagues at the office say it's subtle and give it a thumbs up. For me personally, I like it, but I'm not thrilled with the slight food vibe. Good projection and decent longevity. Nice fall day fragrance.

williamvargas
williamvargas

i have been hearing about this one for some time, i am a fan of caron fragrances, especially 3rd man. in the right settings and occasions it is exquisite..caron por homme, so non offensive and pleasant, especially after a shower, love l'anarchiste... but yatagan i got a sample.. just cannot get into. it is a quality fragrance as all caron products are. it is just doesn't seem to be for me but one i have not shut the door on..weird how i keep trying to get into this one.. i like masculine fragrances and sometimes you want that attention when i wore it i got no feed back good or bad..but it is of interest. i really think it is worth a sniff though...interesting fragrance...

jtd
jtd

I’ve been thinking about the wonderful yet inexpensive perfumes out there. There are many well considered, beautifully made perfumes that you can buy for a song. Cheap or pricy, though, the best perfumes must stand up to the same criteria. Is it coherent and balanced? Does it hold up over time? Does it captivate you, that is, would you wear it as your only perfume? Crucial: does it smell good? Is it ‘you’? Does it remain engaging throughout the entire day? Will it last that long? Would you want it to? Does it work for you in all the compartments of your life: At work? Cooking? Socializing? Cruising? In a class? On the subway?

Let’s look at perfume criticism. And let’s not start with the accepted classics, the greats, the grandes dames. Let’s start with the commonly-available, inexpensive yet extraordinary perfumes, since this starting place is troubling to the notions of exclusivity and refinement baked into commercial perfumery by virtue of its long-standing affiliation with fashion. I hesitate to use the word “great” in perfumery. I recognize perfumery as an art form, one of my favorites. But greatness as a notion comes from more accepted genres of art and established forms of criticism, when what we need are new vocabularies and systems to consider perfume. Think of greatness as an aspiration or a standard of the Old School. I would hope that the New School in perfumery and criticism would promote quality, creativity and analysis, but not hold out judgment and arbitrary thresholds as principal goals. Greatness seems to me to connote a feigned objectivity, or at least a socially agreed upon judgment, when it is in fact fundamentally subjective. Greatness is cited when we’re looking for the dividing line: high/low, good/bad, worthy/crass. Let's find words that assess and characterize, words that can speak both to objectivity and shared subjectivity and foster a less removed esthetic of criticism.

I’ve commented on some of the brilliant, inexpensive perfumes available. Azurée, Grey Flannel, Ivoire, Tocade, Troisièmme Homme. There are still many I hope to get to: Tommy Girl, Bulgari Black, Halston I-12 and Z-14. I might have mentioned that they’re inexpensive, but on reflection, I really want to focus more directly on the associations (or their lack) of quality, creativity and price. Dissociating cost and excellence is an important step in taking a discerning look at perfume. Divorcing notions of status and aspiration from the sale and use of perfume is a tricky prospect since perfume and fashion are historically and commercially enmeshed.

Still, while perfume and fashion are bound in the marketplace, perfume doesn’t necessarily have to be viewed and debated in the same light as fashion and design. Looking to other art forms, music is probably the most commonly used analogy. How often is a perfume described as orchestral, loud, harmonious, shrill or dissonant? We could just as easily consider perfume as performance, borrowing the language of dance and theater. Additionally, the recent recognition of the perfumer as auteur allows us to look at a perfumer’s body of work over time just as we might that of a visual artist. Add to these perspectives the scientific advances in chemical analysis and synthesis and perfumery looks ripe for a new if not radical form of critical thought.

OK, so Yatagan. It smells instantly, recognizably botanical---moss, wood, herbs. All bitter, all dry. But Yatagan’s trick, its value is the scale of its components, its abstraction. To read peoples’ reviews, Yatagan is the black box of perfume. To some it is a spicy woody, to others, a definitive leather, to others still, purely herbal. And I’d be negligent if I didn’t note that nearly every other review mentions underwear. I usually fall in pretty easily with the drawers and jockstraps crowd, but in this case, I’m entirely in Caron’s marketing department’s camp. Flowerless oriental chypre. So perfectly, hollowly evocative. It is instantly familiar to the ear, like flourless chocolate cake, but is also an easily decoded intimation. Flowerless = not pretty (read: the troubled masculinity of 1976.) Oriental = what else can we call something spicy and resinous while tediously leaning on the stereotype of the inscrutable East? Chypre = green, bitter, mossy and, importantly, sophisticated. I imagine Caron might have been scared of Yatagan’s distinctiveness (to me a gorgeous part of its allure) and attempted to use classic fragrance language to come up with a catch-phrase to comfort and flatter its potential buyers.

Caron may have been encompassingly vague in their marketing language, dimly offensive in their oriental allusion, but fortunately direct and brave in their fragrance. Yatagan has that striking balance of starkness and richness found in the best and most distinctive of perfumes.

So given its quality, why is Yatagan so inexpensive? Some factors I can loosely understand: economies of scale over time, brand recognition obviating the need for specific product marketing, possibly lower composition/production costs, clear profit margins assuming the initial investments in the 1970s have been returned. But rhetorically, why does Yatagan cost so much less than the weekly iteration of men’s designer crap fragrance? And why does Yatagan cost literally one-tenth the price of some directly comparably, high quality fragrances like those from Serge Lutens and Amouage?

Mr.X
Mr.X

I believe Caron must put the following caution on the box of this fragrance:

"Caution ! Test well before buying" :)

Strong odd perfume not for everybody . Never blind buy this one!

Yerdan
Yerdan

Couple of weeks ago I tried it and would have thrown my wrist to the bin if that was possible. Heavy sweaty leather and massive vetiver. Not a pleasant scent. Scary. Pungent.

I tried it again today. The opening is still like this. But what develops after 30 mins is very different and very nice: santalwood, artemisia, just the right bit of vetiver. Elegant and unique.
Up to you. Can you take the first 30 mins ? Then you get the reward.

tomatomiasma
tomatomiasma

Really a benchmark fragrance; too good and too cheap not to own.

Does not go well with a freshly showered body. Bitter as hell, woodsy, herbal. Best one of those things appreciated out of the corner of your eye; it's economy is genius, but is especially 2-D from certain angles.

Not meant to be scrutinized as the art that is it, this is a high-quality and surprisingly wearable accessory. Unique, dry, amazingly modern for a fragrance made in the 70s, you'd be surprised how well it goes with gingham pearl-snaps and the local hipster dive.

kdlehr
kdlehr

well i got this yesterday and couldn't wait to open the box after all the raving reviews.
The opening is definatley not for the faint hearted.
( my tom cat kept hissing at me when I got anywhere near him)
Having said that it tones down after 20 minutes and becomes rather bitter. I am still trying to separate the smells but its difficult to sniff through the tobacco, for me anyway.
This is not a gentleman perfum. Too brutish if you like But its growing on me. Maybe I use it when I need space on the London underground during rush hour.
I am going to give it another try.

gave it another try and starting to adore it. the dry down is quite spectacular stays close to my skin and I am loving it

cowboykenny27
cowboykenny27

I like this fragrance because its so different from everything else thats out there , I love the scent of dried pine ,unfortunately I find yatagan difficult to wear & I'm really not sure when and where i could wear this one because the scent is so out of place in modern suburban settings but what I do is is layer this one with puigs Agua brava and I get this wonderful rich fresh herbal scent and I wear it to work . I do like this fragrance a lot but agree its not for everybody! :)

renperd
renperd

Herb Heaven or Herb Hell, depending on whether you're a sabre wielding herb hero or not. There's nothing sweet here. Some sweat perhaps owing to the castoreum and moss. Longevity on me is lacklustre. Yatagan is purported to be a bit of a powerhouse scent, but it suffers from erectile dysfunction compared to other cheapies like Quorum and Trussardi Uomo. This blunt sword neither intimidates nor impresses. I doubt whether anybody's going to ask you what you're wearing...

opius
opius

I like this one, because it smell - like in my coutry sold very cheap aftershave - "FARAO", which is from ´70... and which was used by 30% of mens in Czecho-Slovakia until ´70 -´90,....and it costs 3 USD :o)

Scarlet.Anemone
Scarlet.Anemone

Ok, I'm a lady and I love to wear men fragrances. This was another blind buy after I read all the reviews and comments about Yatagan. And guess what? I love it!

Thank God I didn't get this cat pee, armpit, BO or any other nasty smells. All I get was this herbal-mossy and earthy notes at the beginning. It's bitter, quite strong and sharp I must admit, one must be thinking " Oh! This is very awful strong cologne!". But give it some time. It settled down to a warm, musky, woody and earthy scent lingering (on my skin). The lavender note kind of giving me this relaxing effect. After almost an hour, I cant stop sniffing my arm and wrist. It's so addicting, I'm not sure what it is. But somehow, Yatagan reminds me of L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme (just a little) minus the sweetness.

Yatagan is a dark, masculine, bold, slightly dirty and very sexy IMHO. I don't think any man can wear this, unless he has a distinctive personality or character he DEFINTELY can carry Yatagan nicely. Use it in moderate amount, Yatagan has a Godzilla size sillage and potent enough to knock down people or make them run away from you. Since it's not like other boring typical/mainstream sweet - floral - aquatic fragrances which you can find on the market nowadays, always expect the unexpected. You never know what you'll get.

I guess I will try this at work, like I did before with Opium Men, Carolina Herrera Men, Body Kouros, Envy and Encre Noir. But I don't think it will be my everyday office scent like Herrera Man. Probably when I need 'extra kick' or something that can make me feel more individual, Yatagan will be in my list to be grabbed for.

Yatagan is a disgusting or very putrid smelling cologne? No, I don't think so. It just need right body chemistry and time to let you know the real him. But this is real classic stuff, I wasn't even born when it was launched. Not many people know Yatagan nowadays, I guess. Im glad I have Yatagan with me now ;-)

Attar
Attar

Must admit couldn't expect Yatagan to be so brutal, harsh, savage and strong. Composition as i felt it is close to bitter chocolate with cognac + herbs + distinct woodsy (guess even coniferous) notes. Pitiful, too masculine, age-dependent fragrance, even though i follow the rule: "It drives you, take/use it", still i doubt whether i should augment my Caron male collection with this thing or it's better to do it later, when i get older))) The more i smell it the more i like it. It's wonderful. Though in the beginning it was too sharp and brutal as time goes by it appears to involve into something herbal, woody, clean, innocent (like nature) and at the same time it keeps its virility, chastity (immaculacy), lucidity. Magnificent. Excellent as Turkish sword. Powerful and unsparing on the surface, soothing and steady in the heart. Try it if u dare. Face your masculinity

UPDATE: I recently acquired some Les Copains Homme (vintage), because others said it was similar to vintage Yatagan. They appear to have been correct. LPH has a soft and mossy quality missing in Yatagan, and has no synthetic aspects. Though I haven't tried vintage Yatagan I'd be surprised if it wasn't quite similar to LPH. The point here is that it seems like Yatagan is another "reformulation victim," which makes sense, because I can't imagine the current version being sold in 1976. I think it would get "laughed out of the building." LPH is a very good if not great fragrance, which Yatagan must have been at one point in time.

Here's my review of the current formulation: Picture yourself in the deep woods, on a hill. You observe an area where a bunch of paths come together. Then you hear a shriek and see a figure coming out of the woods, near that terminal point. It is a man, apparently, covered in mud, pine needles, and who knows what else, and he is flailing about with his arms, yelling and snorting. He sees the paths, and decides to run down one of them. You have no idea what that was all about, but he apparently does. Soon, you can barely hear him, though you never understood anything he seemed to be trying to communicate.

That is Yatagan to me. I don't know what this is, and it quickly becomes a one-dimensional, though "manly" skin scent. By contrast, the original Polo is one of my favorites. It lasts and has excellent projection/"sillage," has great dynamism, balance, note contrast, and naturalness. I can't wear Yatagan without thinking that I'd rather be wearing Polo or another fragrance that is somewhat similar. It seems unfinished, like the perfumer was fired and they decided to go with what he had been able to do up to that point. I keep expecting it to reveal a new dimension, but it never does, a kind of "one hit wonder" (I've sampled it perhaps 7 or 8 times over the course of about 3 years). Now if this is what you want, it's certainly all "masculine," but there is a kind of chemical residue to it that you may come to dislike, even if you like it initially, so keep that in mind. This is clearly a sample first scent..

Castor
Castor

Original review - July 2010: A love it or hate it scent mainly due to its top notes, of which I can get something around pine mixed with cardamom in a way it feels like a blast. It even feels like some sort of cost Yatagan wearers have to assume in order to get to the mid and base notes, which are, as most have said, wonderful.

Second review, July 2012: An initial aromatic blast not to be confused with the one you would get from an aromatic fougere: of course, the lavander is listed but I'd say that is presence is morphed by the pine and the basil... I cannot detect the galbanum, whose smell is dominated by that of grass and soil. As time passes, it turns into a fresher scent, maybe due to the fact the pine and the menthol present in the lavender oil takes over the blend, the oakmoss' presence in the mid notes becomes obvious after this freshness. Finally, the castoreum and the woodsy notes predominate into what I would call a blend that is quite faithful of the decade it was launched: I don't have grounds enough to state this in a conclusive, taxative fashion, but it does recall to my mind and nose other blends developed during that decade. Let's see, I am thinking of Equipage, Z-14, Jacomo de Jacomo, Vetiver, One Man Show, in which you find aromatics and woody notes - such as in E&C's Sienna's.

It is not an easy scent specially for those accustomed to present day frags for it is at odds with them, it lacks the feeling of fresh / light / crisp scents so in demand today. At the same time, this might be the reason why it is called a "bomb", believe me, it is not: compared to A*Men and Le Male, this is, for sure, discreet.

Beautiful, IMHO; but a must try before buying it blind.

oxm

Yatagan, are holding a miniature of this perfume, and the reviews I've read on this page tell the true.Just put a little on your wrist, there is a strong smell of rum and tobacco, as if you descend into the hold of a pirate ship where they stopped thousands of liters of grog along with bales of leaves tobacco.Later on the perfume seems to become more bitter to the point of remembering the green that surrounds the walnuts in the fall it would fall a lot in my yard from a neighboring plant . From these nuts is obtained a liquor of the same color Yatagan too strong as the scent.
Although it was produced in 1976 still has a lot to give and not give them this aura of legend rob anyone.
Genuinely sincere
For every angle +10

spoombung
spoombung

Good descriptions below, this is a great fragrance; intense and attention grabbing.

I had a sample bottle for a while and tried to get on with it... but it was just too strong for me. However, a friend of mine loved it so I gladly bought him a bottle and he was as happy as Larry.

Most of the Caron range is inexpensive (including Yatagan) so if you think you can handle it go and grab yourself a quality bargain.

Senzadite
Senzadite

To wear this amazing fragrance is like walking into a fall forest...smoky tones swirl arround with pine notes...i even get a french oak aroma, like in the barrels where the wine is aged; masculine in a relaxed but firm way; warm and sexual without being loud.

maknine ezzine
maknine ezzine

j'avais mis une fois sur mon poignet (sa a toucher le bracelet de ma montre ...et bien l'odeur est rester 2 mois!!!!!!!

vw
vw

One of the best colognes in the world. It's very classic and very bitter.
I like it so match. You can test it!

یاتاقان از جمله ادکلنهایی است که مخصوص سلیقه خاص پسندان تولید شده است. تلخی بینظیر این ادکلن هیچگاه مشام را خسته نمیکند.

rockrose
rockrose

Yatagan is indeed an old leather shoe, but this shoe has been left outside under a pine tree to collect drippings of sap, dirt and other earthy feral smells. Ad odd blast to be sure, but I LOVE this on my husband. I request him to wear Yatagan "yet again"!

This is absolutely endless! A (really) uncompromising all time classic and surely one of the most distinctive male fragrance ever created, Yatagan is dirty, sweaty, almost disturbing and kinda nasty, but totally addictive. Anytime I smell it or wear it I get drunk as it's sooooo intoxicating (in a very good way). In the drydown it gets a bit dated recalling a fascinating version of a rancid barbershop cologne mixed with a shoe rack filled with old leather shoes and neglected in a dark, wet forest, but still I can't stop smelling it. Many times I wished a lot of the newest perfumes, smelled original and unique as Yatagan! A masterpiece.

Let me spend a few more words talking about the bottle and packaging. A great combination of "naiff" eraly seventies turkish-franco-russian graphic and design. Indiscriminately ugly but hypnotic in their minimalism!

jglass54
jglass54

I had read such awful reviews of this fragrance along with some glowing appraisals, that I was afraid to purchase it. I finally got up the nerve to buy it blind online and I'm glad I did. It's a masterpiece. Totally unique. The dominant note for me is celery, but there is so much there: leather, pine, caraway, and animalics. The drydown is sublime. Every so often I catch a whiff of it on myself and find it absolutely intriguing. Not for everyone, and I would recommend it for the more mature man. I think it would smell wonderful on women who like orientals such as Opium or Cinnabar.

Roan
Roan

Superb! After a long time, I have managed to smell it. Thanks to my dear friend.
This one requires special attention. I had a chance to try it out of its original, old bottle. When I saw that old bottle, I told myself that this must be a heavy stuff - and it is! Just a few drops were neccessary to fulfill the entire room. The opening began with a herbal-earthy notes, which opening lasts for a few minutes. After some time when it settles down on a skin, I can recognize the sophisticated smell of Yatagan. There was nothing of herbal opening. The smell of horses, heavy leather, worn saddle and excrete mixed up with ginger and woodsy notes. The perfume for a horse masters. Perfume really reflects a motive on which it was built - Turkish rider with saber. Excrete is not unpleasent. It doesn't rebound from the composition, it surrounds the composition and makes it a perfect whole. Very strong, unusual and deep. The drydown is very pleasent. Strong notes weak after a while and in the highlight of the composition comes wood, musk and that weak excrete which makes it a very good and nice ending. It lasts for ages...when you sniff it, the smell stays in the nose. Perfect perfume. Its true potential will reach during a winter time. The silleage is big and strong...true masterpiece and a brave composition. The perfume requires self confidence and elegant look of wearer..;)

BIG
BIG

This is an arid, saw-dusty, peppery fragrance. I would like to purchase a bottle, the only problem would be the occasion to wear this beast. I like the scent, but i'm not sure i'd buy a 125ml bottle.

behzad1280
behzad1280

It’s like nothing else. One of the most strong and sharp colognes ever. You may love or hate it, but not indifferent at all.
From 1978, it could be the last hero of a dynasty!

Very nostalgic for whom used to play in farmyards among felty germander plants, in childhood!

این شبیه هیچ عطر دیگه ای نیست
به شدت بوی برگ گیاه کلپوره یا به گویش بعضی جاها "بومادرون" میده
یک عطر خیلی گرم و تند که نظیرش رو جایی نشنیدین

Malegria
Malegria

I honestly don`t know what can I add after Robert White`s review, the man said it all.

But I can`t keep it inside either. As a cartoon character said - "I must proclaim my love from the top of someplace very high."

I am using it myself and I find it extremely attractive and addictive. Yatagan is way ahead of it`s time - I expected something more skanky, heavy on oakmoss and musk. Instead, Yatagan smells like a Russian sauna (banya) to me - hot wood, short steamed oak brooms to slap each other with, sweet sweat. Bitter wormwood enforces the aura of witchcraft around it.

That`s how the house of a medicine woman from Lapland in HC Andersen`s Snow Queen smells like.
If you are not afraid to be labeled a witch, go for it - it is simply wonderful.

JonCologneSplash
JonCologneSplash

a classic i haven't had this since high school and that wasn't that long ago only 10 years , but it reminds me to much of my hs days that i can't wear it anymore it is strong, and wonderful the stronger the better

gmmcnair
gmmcnair

Yatagan is an olfactory slap....in a wonderful way. The wormwood is addictive, and it's so strong, so projecting, and so unapologetically unique that I cannot help but crave it.

Probably not the world's greatest office scent, but oh, for evening and romantic use, it's beautiful, from opening notes to drydown, until it disappears 16+ hours later.

As much as I love it, I wouldn't recommend a blind buy with this one....nothing is compromising in this fragrance and you will most likely love it or hate it with a passion. Get a sample first.

Lost Argonaut
Lost Argonaut

I purchased Yatagan solely on the merits of curiosity and my own Turkic heritage. It was my first (and until recently, the only) sample from the (apparently modest but respectable) house of Caron, so I didn't know what to expect from my purchase. Indeed, the name only was enough for me to decide to have this fragrance. The myriad of opposing views here and everywhere, its supposed use for a particular occasion, notes, reviews on more dedicated perfumers' blogs - which I usually refer to before blind buying (most of my) fragrances didn't really matter then for my purchasing decision.

So my long awaited package came. Opening it to reveal the simple, minimalist bottle reminiscent of those Soviet-era eau de colognes (mostly marketed and used as an aftershave there and then) I released a spritz and thought to myself "what the f#$% I bought!!". My English is too limited to describe the initial impression. Too loud? Savage? Harsh? Whatever it was, it hardly gave me any willingness to explore Yatagan further, so I put it on a shelf to give it to my Dad (not in a sense "whatever doesn't work for me is yours" but simply thought it'd be a better fit for an older person). However I sampled Yatagan few times when I felt brave enough to wear it out or to work. Each time I felt a barbaric nomad standing naked in the middle of a downtown business district.

Just before sending it out to my Dad, I was wearing it at home at my own privacy, and I was surprised to discover that each time Yatagan had projected differently. The untamed and wild essence was still there, but there also was a more mellow, not so obvious, somehow seducing facet that I haven't noticed before. I kept sniffing my wrist over and over the whole day.

I still can't remember I even liked Yatagan - but I think it didn't even try to be liked. It doesn't have those positive adjectives we usually attach to scents we like - it wasn't pretty, sophisticated nor elegant. But it has a character that is not found in anything else, that not everybody can handle. One of my close friends said it was brutal, another total stranger said she loved it. I wish I gave myself a chance to understand Yatagan better, but it's in my wish list again. Luckily, it's pretty accessible and amazingly affordable, and the fact that it doesn't appeal to most people makes it very appealing to me.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

fqjcior
fqjcior

If someone writes that YATAGAN is similar to Gucci PH or anything else, I find it hilarious. Guys! There is nothing alike YATAGAN! NOTHING! It smells strange and odd. What I am smelling here is first and foremost salted celery. Not much more, sorry. Sometimes it's hard to bear it. I bought it and don't use it. I suppose that artemisia, galbanum and herbs made it a vegetable perfume (a little bit like QUORUM). Anyway - very original and odd. Hard to like and to use for me.

instantjim
instantjim

I can't believe I haven't already reviewed this one! I was sure that I'd reviewed it not long after receiving it - what an oversight! I never really perceived this as a 'dirty' fragrance until I recently compared it with Polo by Ralph Lauren. In my mind I had considered these to be similar to each other (and in fact part of a group of similar fragrances I own including: Yatagan, Quorum, Alfred Sung Sung Homme and Polo). But really it is much richer than any of the others.

Upon examination a revelation: artimesia is the note common to all of these fragrances. In fact it is also in Lapidus pour Homme, Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men and Kouros - which are four more of my very favourites.

Anyhow, to the review:
Compared with the crisp greenness of Polo, Yatagan is animalistic and, well, dirty. It has a dried sweat accord to it which I only detected by comparing it with Polo. It is not the 'rancid' sweat smell, rather the sort of odour one gets from sweat which had dried rapidly on the skin on a very hot day.

The pungency is almost too much...almost. There is a sourness to it, which I have experienced before in old leather samples I have in my shed. The richness of the wood is something to behold. The variety of woods present are complemented by the rich herbs and animal notes. This is what Juicy Couture Dirty English should have been and makes it seem insipid by comparison.

Imagine a leather satchel filled with herbs and sawdust, buried in a peat-bog for a number of years...that's Yatagan. It is long lasting and has good sillage. It is without a doubt a unique fragrance, well worth experiencing.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

First thing out of the vial was the best rendition of freshly grated ginger that I have ever smelled. I normally don't care for ginger in perfume, but this blew me away. The ginger note lasted for 15 minutes of so. then segued into a lovely vegetable scent with pine, sage, basil, and celery or cumin seeds. The pine was not the usual cleaning product smell, but a scent like longleaf pine needles that have been freshly crushed. The scent lasts for many hours, ending on a woody, slightly animalic note. I like the progression from fresh green stuff through wood and found this scent enjoyable all the way along. I might have to get a FB one of these days, since it's not outrageously expensive. A truly unisex fragrance.

Fred Maple-Hill
Fred Maple-Hill

Parched celery in a desert landscape- one of the best scents ever made...

davidtoms
davidtoms

Brilliant! The last couple of weeks I have been on a quest for something that was going to satnd out and also take me back to the heady days of Schiaparelli's Snuff, Monsiuer Lanvin, Jules by Dior and the like. Needless to say, I purchased a bottle yesterday and I dont think it is going to last very long. This is sex appeal in a bottle! I have lately shied away from men's fragrances, always looking for something different for me and gave found it. I detect some of the bitterness of Snuff, which over time deploys to something warm and sensual.

weegee
weegee

Punch in the gut bitter, as if you've gone on a long after-dark hike in the deep, dank and moist northwest woods, tripped over a rotten log and landed face first in muddy moss and lichen.

You're covered with sweat, need a shave and you've tied your leather jacket around your waist.

Ah, Yatagan. Artemisia, galbanum, styrax, pine, leather, vetiver - what bitterness does this NOT contain? Delicious.

When I imagine a man wearing this I blush as I see myself, without shame, growling as I rub against him, scratching my face on his cheek as I push my nose behind his ear and lick the sweat from his neck.
***********
I bought the big bottle, yup, sure did. While I'd love to smell it on a man I find it warms on my skin and creates a warm, gorgeous outdoorsy-herbal aura much like Alliage. It's big and BOLD and it absolutely radiates confidence and power as in, "You WILL respect my 'authoritay'!" Simply grand!

Robert White
Robert White

Many of the things I like are like licorice: dark, twisted, and not very popular, but irresistable to those who have a taste for them. (However, I do not like licorice) Yatagan is like that. I love it. Finally (even though it's been around 30-plus years), an addition to the small list of male fragrances that don't smell like every other male fragrance. I've never smelled anything like it. The overall smell is spicy/woody, with a touch of bitter citrus, right from the top, but under the smell of the Silk Route, there is a filthy, nasty(in a good way), unwashed body smell that only a Frenchman (or a deranged American Europhile like yours truly) could love. In fact, it's what one of my week - old Ramones t-shirts would have smelled like, pulled from the bottom of the dirty clothes pile, left there for a long time to marinate and ripen after a sweaty, paranoid, twenty-four hour cocaine binge in 1986. If that hasn't revolted you, read on. The funkiness dies down after a few minutes(come to think of it, fresh marjoram, sage, and oregano have some of these sweaty overtones...ever notice that an old dirty (man's) shirt can smell a lot like a pizza? Great, now I don't think I can eat a pizza for a month. Sorry.) The drydown is a strong peppery, cedary exotic wood, with just a trace of animal skunkiness to make it interesting. (Hey, there's another herb that smells like a disgusting animal secretion...) I find this fascinating...it was created in 1976, and I truly hope that they don't discontinue it...This is clearly a love-it-or-hate-it experience, and it's everything (I think) that Etat Libre d'Orange aspires to. I hope that they can live up to it. I'm wearing this to Single's Night. If a woman can't like this on me, she probably couldn't handle my personality, anyway.

rasato
rasato

Yatagan is a very arid and brawny fragrance. It is a parched landscape, virile and anti-floral. The binary opposite of sweet. Silage is noticeable, but not tremendous. Use with caution at the office. It shares similarities in the top notes with Quorum Silver, although it is not as fresh and certainly not citrusy as QS. Best when mixed in with a little sweat, but only if you've showered in the past 6 hours!

guest_kiko
guest_kiko

Well,
I've just search for something taht could remind my #nose" of Marc'O Polo nr 1 fragrance, and in fact it's a kind of it, but necessarilly not so much patchouly in it.
It's for sure one of the most known fragrances of my whole life!!!
Thanks God for that.

shamus1
shamus1

Yatagan is definitely in a class of its own. It is extremely spicy and "dirty" smelling, without the slightest bit of sweetness. It smells like pine needles and spice mixed with leather and patchouli, all mixed in a bucket of sweat and urine. Sounds nasty, but in fact is one of the most crude yet elegant fragrances i've ever encountered. For those of you trying to imagine what this smells like, try this: take Creed's Bois du Portugal, remove all traces of sweetness, then add a large dose of civet and sage to transform it from being dandified to flat out irreverent and raunchy. It smells like an animal in heat, but has some sophistication because it's very multi-faceted and complex. Although definitely a virile scent, Yatagan would smell awesome on a woman. Most reviewers talk about Yatagan being "loud" and overbearing, but I actually find it to be rather subdued and discreet after a while; after the first half-hour, Yatagan blends nicely into my skin and mellows out into a warm, herbal scent, with just a hint of spiciness. The sweaty, animalic bottom note (I think it's civet), however, is always present, which gives Yatagan its filthy edge. Although it's not a fragrance for everyone, Yatagan is an absolute classic, bucking every perfume fad that has and will come along the pike. Every perfume fan must smell Yatagan once before they die. It is one of the greatest masculine fragrances ever, and is one I'd bring with me to the proverbial desert island.

CaraMia
CaraMia

I love this one and I love it on me. Yes, I am sure it can be masculine and fearless, but it is great for women too.
A very counterintuitive choice for a pink sweater set and pearls? I'm not sure I'd use "oxymoron" here, but iconoclastic.

The artemisia and lavender are omnipresent throughout the scent and the lightly leather, vetiver, and very mossy drydown make it a treasure. A wild treasure, a spiky forest green treasure. An herbalist's chypre.

I finally received this in the mail this morning. I must admit that I was preparing myself for something that I might dislike, but I highly doubted that seeing that I enjoy most male fragrances.

Spicy, woodsy and mesmerizing, even just sniffing from the bottle makes me sigh. I'm really surprised that some men refuse to wear this. In my opinion it would make a man so much more appealing through its darkness and sensuality.

It actually reminds me of the Australian bush because it has a note that smells rather similar to eucalyptus oil. It also brings with it sentimental value through the distinctive pine needle scent. As a child there was a giant pine tree that grew in the corner of my yard, and many a time I would play under that tree and collect the pine cones like they were little treasures and hide them in my room. Yatagan brought this memory back to me today and I'm truly grateful for it.

This fragrance is indeed very strong. One spray and the room is shrouded in a cloud of this deep, mysterious and exotic aroma. I cannot wait to try this on my man. I do believe I will be paying him a visit very soon.

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

I am the lucky owner of a big bottle of Caron's famed and infamous Yatagan since yesterday. Now I think, for those looking for the quintessential macho fragrance, this is the real deal.
It is arresting and intoxicating, and extreme in a good sense. I'm not an alcoholic, but Yatagan's camphorous herbal notes, dominated by wormwood, make it so deliciously boozy, it's irresistible - quite simply, it smells like vermouth rosso. The rich, resinous chypre base is evident throughout, full of tarry, woody and ambery nuances.
It's very rich and long-lasting, and different from almost everything else out there, although it has a well recognizable chypre character.
If you are a man who's bold and fearless, or want to boost your confidence, or just want to indulge in its booziness, go for it! If you don't like it right away, you'll grow to love it, trust me on this.

Kultakutri
Kultakutri

I got a sample today and I absolutely adore it. A rich warm bitter scent of a herbal liquor, the one with pine needles and gentian root.

It reminds me of my parents' house: there are still remnants of my former herb garden and the smell is totally me on a hot summer day picking something to dry up or soak in brandy. Only the soil there wouldn't let gentians survive. Or maybe it is my association with hiking in the mountains above the tree line, with the scent of various resins lingering in the air, and actually finding the gentians that grow on the meadows?
I don't know whether gentian is even used as a component in perfumery but this one just screams it to me.

Juliette has a gun
Juliette has a gun

Indeed, this is daring!! You have to be daring to wear this. Vile and weird! Turkish sables?? No other male perfume can be compared to this aroma, nothing. You either love it - or hate it.

It is a work of art, a genuine masterpiece, it is polarizing indeed. I personally find it abominable on myself, but could tolerate it on others.

desmondorama
desmondorama

This is a very special fragrance for me - classic because it's been around since 1976 (not 1978) and sexy/intimate, because it's so masculine and warm.

I have read so many wonderful and glowing reviews about this fragrance and it's obvious to me that the complimentary ones are from true parfumistos.

This is not for the faint-hearted, sweet-smelling aficionado; but for those who dare the challenge of the unusual, the avant-garde and the iconic.

I just bought my third bottle for my perfume collection and I think it will definitely be a staple like KOUROS in my wardrobe.

I also just realised that it smells a lot like the rare 'Jules' by Christian Dior.

This also happens to be a very dirty fragrance; so watch out where and when you wear it!

Aiona
Aiona

Wow! I'm surprised to see flowers (??) listed in the notes. I don't smell them. I definitely smell rosemary, and since the notes list "artemisia," I'm guessing that's really what I'm smelling. Pungent hardy perennial that "repels fleas and moths" is right! It's made "for men," but yes, a woman can wear it. I did. But, would she want to? It makes for a great olfactory oxymoron, so if you're rebellious, I'd say yes!

Yatagan by Caron 4.17 out of 5 based on 581 ratings and 159 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Caron Yatagan fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Caron Yatagan, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Yatagan by Caron. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Yatagan by Caron represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.