Designers » C » Woody Floral Musk « Groups

Declaration Cartier for men

Declaration Cartier for men
dislike

I have it: 746 I had it: 359 I want it: 372 My signature: 30

Declaration Cartier for men Pictures Declaration Cartier for men Pictures Declaration Cartier for men Pictures Declaration Cartier for men Pictures Declaration Cartier for men Pictures Declaration Cartier for men Pictures Declaration Cartier for men Pictures Declaration Cartier for men Pictures

Declaration by Cartier is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for men. Declaration was launched in 1998. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Claude Ellena. Top notes are artemisia, caraway, coriander, birch, mandarin orange, bergamot, neroli and bitter orange; middle notes are iris, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, juniper, orris root, jasmine and guatemalan cardamom; base notes are leather, amber, tea, tahitian vetiver, oakmoss and cedar.

Artemisia Caraway Coriander Birch Mandarin Orange Bergamot Neroli Bitter Orange

Hermessence Epice Marine

Declaration Fragrance Reviews

DaZeD
DaZeD

I've seen people compare Declaration with body odor, personally i've never encountered someone with a body odor that comes even remotely close to any note in this scent.

I understand what they try to say though, the combination of cardamon, oranges and coriander give it a bit of dusty dirtiness, which is exactly what makes this scent so damn sexy imo.

It's a little mysterious and fresh in a dark way, if that makes sense.

The reformulated version is not as potent, but i think with this scent that's not too bad, i think it should stay a little subtle, it is already pretty "in your face", so a bit of a lower silage is not always bad.

To me it was love at first sniff, it's the perfect scent to wear just at home, when you feel comfortable and relaxed this will give the finishing touch to enforce that feeling, it has everything to make it a great signature scent.

Sillage of Declaration (reformulated) is just good as it is, longevity is great on me, 8 to 10 hours, and the scent itself deserves 8/10.

A classy and easy to love (or hate) scent.

E-Jam Q
E-Jam Q

Sharp and bolt to my taste.Very masculine get you all day through smelling good.This is for mature men.

Gwizz
Gwizz

This fragrance was such a pleasant surprise! Initially I only bought a small sample of this as I loved the look of the scent pyramid and because I love the work of Jean Claude Ellena. His productions invariably speak to me and this is no exception. However, I was slightly concerned that Declaration, being under the Cartier masthead, might have been something that was a bit homogenised for a wider audience. I don't think that is the case at all though. Needless to say, an hour or two after sampling this I'd purchased a full bottle on line and I've had a while to try getting my head around it now.

A few impressions I have on this fragrance are that it is definitely one of those that takes you on a journey. As noted by numerous reviewers here, skin chemistry has a big impact on how this scent develops and it is certainly not one that can be judged in its entirety from a test blotter, it needs a full wear over hours to fully understand it's complexity. The list of notes for Declaration is reasonably extensive, however unusually for a fragrance with so much going on, it is actually one where, if you sit with it for a while and contemplate it, you'll find the majority of the flavours are skilfully delineated and identifiable. But the thing I really love is that, if you forget about the notes and just take it in, all the parts blend into a gorgeous and seamless whole. I think this is one of Ellena's great skills. Terre D'Hermes is a prime example of that talent, especially the pure perfume version.

As for me, if I had to pick the stars of the show, I'd put artemisia up in lights straight away. It's right there in the opening with a bergamot that smells like it's coming straight out of my morning cup of earl grey tea. Given that tea is there in the basenotes, this makes perfect sense. I love the mandarin head note and how it floats in and out. I don't get so much of the "3 C's" a Coriander, Cumin and Caraway that a lot of people mention. They're certainly there, but it find them lovely and subtle. One surprise I do get in the head of this is an accord of olibanum. It's not listed in the notes, but it definitely emerges on my skin for some reason. I have a slight suspicion that part of the reason for this is due to the presence the artemisia, which also features in CdG's Blue Encens that I've been wearing lately, so it might also be some kind of olfactory transference going on in my mind. It's brief, but it's there and I like it!

The floral beauty of iris takes centre stage for me in the heart of the composition, rooted down (no pun intended!), by orris, which creates a spectacular effect. It's floral side kick jasmine gets down with juniper and it all rests comfortably on a wonderful base of vetiver, cedar, leather and oak moss.

The above is just my reading of course. I don't get any of the curry or body odour mentioned here and there in other reviews thankfully. As I said, I think this is an amazingly subjective and morphing scent that everyone will experience differently. I love that fact. I also love that this stuff draws compliments every time I wear it, which isn't really the case when you're used to wearing quite a lot of avant garde scents that don't always meet with universal approval. Compliments are good - unnecessary, but nice!

I could not be happier with stumbling across this little number by Ellena and Cartier, especially as you can find bottles in a range of sizes on line for a very reasonable price. I won't wear it every day, but it'll definitely get a regular airing, especially I think, as the weather here in Australia begins to warm up. Big double thumbs up!

blue_belle
blue_belle

Ooh, cardamom! Possibly my favorite spice ever, in food, in tea, in perfume... Basically if there's cardamom, I'm there. This starts out with a burst of true-to-life, fresh, green cardamom. That alone is enough for me to love it but once it settles down it's absolutely beautiful too.

I got this as a sample with my latest Sephora order (I always get whatever perfume samples are available--why not, right?) and sprayed it without realizing it was marketed to men. When I found out I was honestly shocked; the heart is sweet and powdery on me, reminiscent of the caraway candies that are often found in Indian restaurants. There's also some pepper, ginger, and coriander lurking in the back and giving it a nice kick. Oddly the fruit is just not there on me, but I don't miss it with so many lovely spices playing on my skin. The drydown is woody and musky, warm and pretty. I think this will be a great spring/fall perfume for me but it's actually doing very well on this not-too-hot summer day.

Albin
Albin

Tessture wrote:

"An interesting one that smells like fresh, real lemon spritzed over Indian food. Not sure what to think, actually"

My exact thoughts on this one. It happens to me with many of Ellena's compositions, I'm not sure if I really like them.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

"Déclaration" opens with a beautiful array of chai-tea spices, most notably a cool clean cardamom, zesty ginger and fresh coriander.

Moments later, however, a thick waxy iris blows over everything like a cloud of make up powder, dulling the clear sharpness of the opening and making the whole thing rather stuffy.
Iris is one of those notes that can make or break a perfume for a person, and for me, unfortunately, I don't think it is handled well here. Too dominant and lipsticky. The oakmoss in the base only adds to the muddiness.

Shame, because without it "Délaration" could have been a divine, sparkly Indian chai scent. Not to say the result isn't nice. At worst you will smell like you just showered with some spicy soap and dusted yourself in talc, but the magical opening is the best thing about it, and it doesn't last long enough for me.

Kanz Oman
Kanz Oman

Wearing this made me feel so fresh & clean as if i just left shower. Again not only men fragrance..

MelihElitas
MelihElitas

Most women love it on you , you cannot deny it . but when i wear it , it makes me very angry i still dont know why

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A really good and distinctive contemporary "eau de cologne" with a much interesting and complex structure. Dozens of notes here, but basically it is a fresh-musky-woody fragrance with several facets to discover according to what you focus on - you may want to feel the rich, sensual floral touch, the woods, the ginger, the citrus, the dried fruits-spicy accord (which, in turn, unfolds up like a fractal in cardamom notes, caraway, pepper, tea, neroli...). Or still - and probably, better - you may just want to feel the overall look of this - a safe, elegant, long-lasting milestone of modern eaux de cologne. An admirable essay of perfumery.

P.S. my personal feelings? Like for other Ellena's... so perfect it's boring.

7,5/10

jdawg
jdawg

I was given a sample of this a few weeks back and just WOW! Perfect for long- haul travels in my opinion. Lasts very long.

cmbathyal
cmbathyal

Opens up with spices coming from all directions....my first Mr.Ellena bottle. Quality blend and had some layers to it so it never become linear to nose however I am of the opinion that its for mature gentelmen...verstatile and respected.

$$
$$

You pick funky underarms or sweaty balls?I say a bit of both lol.Somebody open up a window.

duzmantic
duzmantic

This one requires patience. Yes its harsh and very spicy in the opening but just wait for about 2 hours for the dry down. It is beautiful and perfect for an open plan office environment.

ritvik.carvalho
ritvik.carvalho

I’ve recently had the pleasure of revisiting a long dormant interest in fragrances – all owed to a colleague at work. He is quite the enthusiast, having a collection that boasts over 60 bottles of perfume and scented oils. My father, at one point in his career used to receive several press gifts. As a result, a number of unopened perfume bottles started to accumulate in a closet at home (he finds fragrance cloying and never bothered to use these). My interest reinvigorated, I remembered this collection of about 4-5 bottles and immediately raided the closet. Among these was a gem called Declaration. Upon some research, I concluded that the 50 ml bottle I own comes from a batch prior to the reformulated release - the packaging it came in belongs to the first launch in 1998.

Declaration comes in a beautiful, rather feminine-looking bottle with the entire atomizer assemblage in chrome. Special mention must be made of the atomizer - it delivers a generous, yet highly controlled spray and I enjoy pressing the trigger on this bottle. The scent opens with a sharp cardamom note – and if you’re not accustomed to the smell, the sharpness could well give you a headache. I can immediately tell the bitter orange in accompaniment, lending the scent a wet and citrus-y freshness – as if you just squeezed the liquid out of an orange peel. On a closer sniff, I can sense the trademark coolness that only vetiver can supply, along with the pungency of ginger. These are the notes that truly stand out in this delicately blended concoction. However, in warm weather, I’m able to roughly sense the presence of a tea note.

Declaration is an excellent work scent because it strikes the perfect balance. It is inoffensive and mild while simultaneously maintaining a distinct, elegant character, living up to its name. Several reviews I’ve read about Declaration make reference to it being a ‘dirty boy’ fragrance – I have to agree, and add that this is probably what puts this scent ahead of many others in the fresh-spicy genre. Declaration shines when you’re flowery and fresh as much as it does when you’re sweaty and soiled. This is the only spray I permit myself when I haven’t showered, and that’s saying something. Jean-Claude Ellena is known for his ability to blend ingredients in a delicate balance reminiscent of an order only Mother Nature can achieve. It is this very characteristic that he lends to Declaration, a fragrance that will keep me returning, time and time again.

chantedbyincense
chantedbyincense

العطر قوي في البداية ولكن تتغير قوته تدريجيا ليصبح اكثر هدوءا ونعومه العطر تقريبا لا يصلح في الصيف خصوصا في النهار. العطر رسمي يميل للأنوثة قليلا فيه ريحة دهن عود لكن خفيف جدا

brent0529
brent0529

Reminds me a little bit of Le Labo's Rose 31, but without the rose...I guess it's the body odor smell that Declaration has that reminds me of the cumin in Rose 31. Also is pretty similar to Voyage D' Hermes.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

Tried the EDT a few times. So there is something that draws me to it. But, and for the life of me I cant put a finger on it, there is something about it that does not agree with me. I think it smells different (better) on others. Sadly, it does not work for me, invariably ending up sour and cloying even with the stingiest of applications.

Incidentally, I have the same experience with Faconnable, which smells wonderful on my partner (she wears it a lot) and not at all pleasant on me.

Funnily, I cant say I have ever truly hit it off with any Cartier scent, with one exception: Must de Cartier Pour Homme. (Which is now just a memory).

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

You can sample perfumes all your life seeking that ONE that's like no other. I feel like this scent found ME. It's as clean as it is musky. Powerful and also soft. It's full of revelations. I believe this is no way feminine. Smells of a confident working man

toto453
toto453

Ok scent but not my favorite by far! I understand people who like it though.
Really cheap top cap !!!

Rawannnna
Rawannnna

This is a lighter version of Hermes Voyage, lighter in terms of ingredients and not in sillage or how much time it lasts. This is a nice perfume for hot days, inoffensive and quite unisex.

Felipe Ramone
Felipe Ramone

Got an sample of it and tried two times, at night.

Very versatile, classy, elegant. Lots of orange, very bitter and sweet, kind of sour.

I liked it very much on me, but I'm not sure if I would recommend to everyone. Two people told me I smelled like and old man (I'm 32), so the compliments weren't that great.

Try before you buy.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

definitely unisex. at first i imagine a strong woman. a slender woman in her power suit. she is going to kill at her executive meeting. on a man i imagine laid back, a little face stubble, hes cooking dinner or folding laundry. hes calm and collected and likes helping his wife out. i think if it was a tad sweeter it would totally be a womans fragrance. the initial spray is headache inducing. seriously it makes me cringe. then it calms down and i think it smells pretty good. not like sexy good, but good. it starts off spicy and citrus and then some of the woody smoothness comes through all the while a soft sweetness is in the background. business professional to casual. i would say its a safe fragrance.

jamdavmiller
jamdavmiller

If you love Caraway this fragrance is for you. That is all there is to say.

DSun
DSun

What a harsh opening! Smells like someone took a shower but used animal oil and lye instead of old-fashioned soap. This sweaty quasi-pheromonic state lingers for almost an hour. It is sharp, pungent and, in a friend's case, headache-inducing. It's like your nostrils are being assailed by a thousand ghazis. Afterwards, its mettle starts showing and then you'll understand why it is a landmark scent and why it's one of the most imitated.

This is not a spray-and-go affair. Make sure you have the luxury of time before you go out wearing this--because it does seem to smell like armpit/body odour at that first hour or so. No kidding.

Tips:
1. To tame the opening somewhat, I decant around 10ml into an atomizer and put in a drop or two of bergamot. That makes it more palatable. The bergamot dissipates leaving Ellena's creation intact for the most part. And it somewhat resembles its flanker, Declaration Essence.
2. Or layer it with a chypre or any citrusy bottle in your collection.
3. The easiest: Don't Spray On Skin (and avoid the b.o. undertones)

Help!!!
Can anybody tell me how Ellena managed to diffuse cardamom this way? Stupid perfumers with their secrets!! ARGGH!!!

scented_illumination
scented_illumination

I had read the reviews before,but after testing it i'm left wondering..It's the most bizarre fragrance i've ever encountered.I don't know if i like it or not,if it's a good fragrance or nor,whether someone will like it on me or not.Now i can see what body odorous really means.I would very much like to know about Ellena's conception of this one,what he wanted to achieve and more.Now on me,it smells sweaty,animalic and dirty,not something i want to smell on others for sure.Does this smell mean that it doesn't work on my skin or was it supposed to smell exactly like that?I am very confused and without having taken any feedback,i think that i might seem like i haven't taken a bath for a while.It is NOT a typical perfume,it is most likely that others will find it repelling
and i would describe it as ambiguous.I can only congratulate mr Ellena,for his craftmanship,his vision and his artistry.I find Terre to be my very favorite,but this one is a whole chapter by itself.I also can't dissect the notes here,all i get is sweaty,citrusy and a little woody.Oh,and spicy,no florals,no tea.
It surely is a work of art,but not the typical pleasant scent.Wow,what an experience..

EDIT. Two days later:it becomes A-D-D-I-C-T-I-V-E!I am speechless,i have already forgot the sweaty thing ,replaced it in my mind with aromatic woody,which is very comforting and i don't care about the feedback it'll get,i just love it.What a concept.God..

anna.023

This is the first time I write a second review for a perfume. I keep falling in and out of love with this one, it's been one of my top favorites for a long time. I use Declaration periodically, sometimes we are glued to eachother and other times it would seem like our relationship has been entirely forgotten.

But it doesn't matter how long it's been since I used it; every single time I reach for this bottle and smell it, I'm totally hooked again. Almost like a drug addict who's relapsing again and again.. what an awful example, haha!

In just a sniff I'm reminded of how I LOVE everything about this darling. Today I just happened to sniff it for a swift second and BAM; Love is back, stronger and more fierce than ever!

What I love most about Declaration are it's edgy and spicy personality. It's a rather unik composition, I especially enjoy the aromatic caraway and cardamom blend (which I can find disturbing in other perfumes, but it comes into it's right here). I am not a general lover of neither spices or fresh/citrus scents, so I'm not easily pleased. I don't get any of the "sharp citrus" as some unfortunate people seem to do.

I love, love the opening ( fresh, aromatic and spicy!) and the heart/dry down are gorgeous as well. I can detect cardamom, wood and a sort of balmy leather note that developes slowly in the background(?).. I wouldn't necessarily place it in the common and slightly boring "fresh summer citrus" category.. It's way more colorful ang energetic!

This is really my type of fresh "unisex"!! I love to wear Declaration and I don't feel it's overly manly by any means, it rather offers an interesting twist when it's worn by a woman.

It still contains the exact right amount/balance of intensity and strenght to be considered a great summer choice.

Declaration is just as fabulous during the Greek heat of august as it is in the cold and chilly Swedish climate. It's probably the most versatile perfume I own. You can always trust the lasting power and the sillage to be great but by no means overpowering or sharp/irritaiting.

I find my self returning to this time after time (even as I'm not very faithful in my love for one perfume). You wont be disappointed.

Catch22
Catch22

Excellent fragrance to expand your knowledge of various notes and their signatures. I found it to be one of the easier perfumes to dissect and identify.

Ultimately, I found Declaration to be too far toward the feminine side of unisex and the bitterness of the citrus, combined with the ever present pepper, juniper and cinnamon to be far too conflicting of a combination for my nose. I've also worked with birch many times as a hobbyist woodworker and it's easily detectable throughout the drydown...not one of the nicer smelling hardwoods, but very aromatic.

Sillage is above average and longevity is very good.

Don't blind buy this one and I'm amazed that men find this appealing at all. It's very unique, I'll give it that.

happyscent
happyscent

Cartier Declaration - nice, spicy smell (more cumin) with a hint of woods, too bad it only last 2 hours on my skin;

gargaum
gargaum

Fresh spicy defines perfectly, cardamom is really intensive, flowery at the heart and woody-leathery base. Could be a unisex scent. Subtle, rich and elegant. Matches smart casual (tenue de ville) occasions very well.

rum
rum

Another masterpiece from master perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena. This scent predates his other successes like Terre d' Hermes, but Declaration makes the statement that Jean-Claude Ellena really was one superb perfumer since he began.
A fruity opening with an explosion of cardamom and other spices is what I will describe this scent. It's a bit like walking through the kitchen of a master-chef. One to excite the senses and turn heads everywhere, this scent truly is one of a kind. I can't fault it!

When I read descriptions such as "body odor" and "Indian food" used in regard to Cartier Declaration, I have to wonder if I've been on the crack pipe too long.
What do I smell? Juniper berries, mostly. Neroli, a bit of tar, a bitter honey scent which is artemisia and I don't know what and tea.

Marciu
Marciu

This surely is a classic already. Must have suffered through reformulations, I know the newest version of it.

It's rather unique in its own way, but I do feel some similarities with Ellena's two other fragrance - Terre d'Hermes in the beggining and Voyage in next phase. Maybe the connection with Terre is only ISO E-Super, don't know, but they somehow smell alike. Then it starts smelling more familliar with Voyage

It's very complex, indeed, but I don't get all those notes on my skin. Mainly I feel caraway, coriander, bitter orange, juniper and vetiver. Strange, because I get something else too. I feel like there's geranium in here too, I swear!

Longevity - I get solid 8 hours with it. Sillage is moderate.

I'd say it's one of the best(if not the best) Cartier's fragrances. And it will probably be in my collection one day...

easyboy82
easyboy82

Ok, I tried this one out of curiosity in a perfumery shop and thought that on my skin it smelled of sweat. Stale sweat to be precise. OMG it was really terrible and it got worse as the time passed. Then a friend of mine, while we were in a perfumery, said Déclaration was her boyfriend's fragrance and that she liked it a lot and she thought it would be a perfect fragrance for me too. I said her that I knew it and that on my skin it smelled like sweat, she said it was impossible so I sprayed it on my wrist again to give her the decisive proof. "Well..." she said "actually it effectively smells a bit like stale sweat on you...".

Careway (which I dislike in the kitchen too btw) is extremely strong in this fragrance so the only thing I can tell you is that since this fragrance is expensive and since it has this strong note which you can't tell how it will turn on your skin, you'd better avoid to blind buy it (or giving it as a gift in my opinion). You have absolutely to try it on your skin.

johannbale
johannbale

Declaration is on my collection and one of my favourite. To tell the truth, imo this is a masterpiece from Cartier. Sillage is moderate and longevity on my skin is more than 14hrs. It's all about spices on my nose. Top class!!

Cassiano
Cassiano

My story with this scent is old. A few years ago, I had 1 bottle of this in my hands, but I didn't like the scent when I tested and I ended up selling it. Now, another bottle back into my hands and I'm starting to believe that there is something more behind this experience. Would be karma?

The fact is that some fragrances are sold by themselves, thanks to good output notes, that help at the time of the famous test on the olfactory paper. Others are more complicated and require a longer time of assessment and evolution on skin. In fact, every perfume needs time to show its real value, for what matters is the aroma after about 30 minutes on the skin, i.e. the presence of the heart and, above all, the base notes of the fragrance.

And Déclaration is one of these more complicated! Its output is very strong, smoky and annoying, at least to my nose. And I know I'm not the only one, because I've read many reviews (including international) with the same comment. This is a real exercise for the discerning noses and, above all, for beginners in the art of perfumery.

In its composition, output notes of Birch wood, bergamot, bitter orange and coriander, complemented by intense notes of spices such as cardamom, artemisia and pepper, along with juniper and a touch of jasmine, in the heart of the fragrance. Finally, cedar, vetiver, leather, amber, oakmoss and nuances of smoky wood (according to my tester bottle).

The result is more or less the following: the initial 10 minutes feature the most diverse sensations. Some resemble smell of cigarette filter, others Indian food with a lot of cumin and curry, others even compare it with the aroma of a wood cabinet closed for long. And the truth is that these minutes can be stifling, especially if applied beyond normal. But if this review worths as an advice, wait a little longer and let the rest come out. After this "turbulent" phase, the fragrance becomes more calm and elegant, with great presence of spices, especially cardamom. The base is Woody in the right way and the scent lingers for hours, exuding class and sophistication.

It has great resemblance with another release, also from 1998, called S.T. Dupont pour Homme. This one, however, is more floral and has a creamier base, while Déclaration is more controversial, intense and Woody.

To conclude, it is worth remembering that we are talking about a Cartier product and that was created by a master of the world perfumery, Jean-Claude Ellena. With this name behind the creation, not much needs to be added.

sharmap14
sharmap14

smells like a lighter version of voyage d'hermes with a floral citrusness...

cytherian
cytherian

:---- * UPDATE * ----:
I've seen a kind of polarity in the reviews made over the years for this fragrance. Some note a very strong presence of spices while others cite more sweet citrus, orange, ginger and vetiver. Some have suggested that there have been different formulations. There doesn't seem to be any indication of this by bottle changes. My bottle is a mini 12.5ml size that came in a red Cartier box.

OK, so it was time to conduct my own experiment. I sprayed Declaration on my wrist and took a whiff--yes, coriander and cumin are there again. Next, I took out a good quality blotter paper and sprayed it. I let it dry down for a few seconds, then took a whiff. What did I smell? Citrus/ginger/tea and a touch of vetiver. No coriander!

This is my first VERY OBVIOUS experience of a fragrance taking a very distinct change of character after being applied to my skin. I never before experienced such a distinctive fragrance character change from blotter to skin. Intriguing!

So there you have it -- there is no reformulation going on. Declaration is highly reactive to your biochemistry. You may find yourself in a wall rack of Indian/Thai spices, or in a crisp combination of citrus/ginger/tea and other lighter notes. Whatever the case may be, Declaration should have been called "Polymorph!" ;-)
_______________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________

And what pray tell was Cartier planning to Declare? It's just "Declaration", but perhaps it should have been "Spice Declaration"... because of the wall rack full of spices thrown into this. I mean, just consider this jumble:

Artemisia, caraway, coriander, birch, mandarin orange, bergamot, neroli bitter orange, iris, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, juniper, orris root, jasmine, guatemalan cardamom, leather, amber, tea, tahitian vetiver, oakmoss and cedar.

Well, you'd think with this mix-up it would be a confusing crash to drive your nose away. Somehow, some way, it manages to work depending upon the individual. Yes, this fragrance will "auto adjust" for whoever wears it. Instant Forrest Gump moment.

OK, first off on my skin there's this strong impression of coriander and cumin, like you've just walked into an Indian restaurant. There's no cumin listed, but somehow it comes up alongside the coriander and cardamom that is stated in the ingredients. This is also reminiscent of a Thai Spice bottle I use in cooking. Why wasn't cumin explicitly added? I think because the note strengths shift during the dry down and allow sweeter ones to come through. Real cumin would just kill it all.

Some have said a BO impression overwhelms them, but I wonder if that's presumptuous.This is no simple fragrance and it needs some time to develop. At least that is my experience. Perhaps for some people, Declaration does morph into some weird BO concoction?

The sillage is about average and the longevity seems to have potential if sufficiently applied. But you have to be careful not to overwhelm a room. This is definitely an "off the mainstream" kind of fragrance that is probably too complex for most people to pick as a signature (unless perhaps you live in a country where these spices are predominant). I wouldn't wear it in the summer, but possibly in the cooler months. A daytime kind of fragrance. Oh and by the way, the bottle is really elegant and well made. Not Baccarat quality, but nice.

Akinfor8
Akinfor8

I got a sample of this at the store and sprayed it on once I got home. First smell I immediately gagged and ran to the bathroom and scrubbed as hard as I could to get it off. I have no idea what it was in this but it made me sick to the stomach.

marioslg3

Indeed the most handsome clean dirty boy of mainstrean and niche perfumes....so attractive unique....

jivanshi
jivanshi

I can see where the pencil shavings vibe is coming from - to me it's like shavings from a pencil dropped in cat doodoo with some lemon on top.

sameh
sameh

Well , 4 me Declaration Cartier is one of the best perfumes I have ever encountered , the Bitter Orange note is really makes wonders on my skin with Ginger , Vetiver , the smell is dark & expensive as well ( like a banker smell ) , it's a compliment getter ( my wife love it on me ).

Scent : 9

Longevity : 8

Silage : 7

The only down side 4 me is the bottle design , Cartier should have made it more elegant !

P.S. Thank GOD I have another bottle !!!!

picasso_x
picasso_x

Love it.Declaration is so elegance so sensual. I've love tea and caraway smell. This is fresh and clean but not citrusy type.Good long lasting and good sillage. Not same character S.T.DUPONT .Declaration is more elegance,S.T.DUPONT is more casual. Declaration is perfect for all season.

WayneDN
WayneDN

When I wear this, I always am told that I smell good!

IsaIsabella

Finally, after lusting for this fragrance for so long, I have added it to my collection.

I don't understand the whole B.O note people are talking about. To me, Declaration smells like beautiful cinnamon powder mixed with orange juice and smoked with some spices. It is soothing, yet exciting and intriguing. This would suit a well-dressed gentleman. Or, in my case, just a female fragrance connoisseur. The drydown is slightly woodier and sweet, but the orange-cinnamon note never fully leaves. I didn't notice the pepper note on me but my room smells distinctively peppery after I spritzed Declaration on.

The funny thing is, I can detect the scent on me the entire day and yet when I asked my friends if they can smell my perfume they said "no." Rather perplexing. EDIT: apparently they COULD smell it, they just didn't associate it with me.

Oh, and the difference between this and the essence version is that this one is lighter, more orangey and sweeter, while the essence version is more spicy and woody. Over all not a great difference.

P.S: When I do have a boyfriend, I'd give him this. I'd never leave him alone if he smells this divine. *trembles with pleasure*

Woah! Well I wasn't expecting that!
Huge cardamom & caraway spice notes..I mean massive!
Cartier fragrances so far have been unexpected and pretty brave this is no exception, I mean basing fragrances around one note that set them apart from other designer fragrances aimed at men. I think that differentiates them from straight designer and pushes them toward a more high end niche appeal....at least that's what I think they're aiming at? Cartier being a luxury company and all.
I like cardamom in fragrances it's a great spice note that really works when used sparingly and against the right backdrop. However this is not one of those cases as the opening is too strong with cardamom for my personal taste...I just don't want to smell like that.
Too be fair the peppery spice settles down and is still present but much milder and nicer.
What remains are big citrus notes...lemon, orange, bergamot combo with ginger in there too...and cedar it makes for a good mix.
This battle of fruit & spice reminds me very much of Dior Homme sport and its lemon/ginger combo...and the curry like enduring spice opening of Amouage Fate.
It's actually quite a pleasant fragrance into the drydown...it's mellow and stays close to the skin, I wouldn't bother wearing it though.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Declaration reminds me just a little bit of Creed's Orange Spice, in that it utilizes a fresh, juicy orange note in conjunction with a table-shaker of bright spices to achieve an earthy-clean effect. Unlike Orange Spice, Ellena's composition relies more heavily on cardamom and ginger than clove and musk, and accents of caraway and coriander definitely create a deeper spice accord than what is found in the Creed. (OS is also more citrus-focused, while Declaration is ultimately all about spice.) After an initial hit of orange, the spices set in, preceded by cardamom, and followed by a whole melange of prickly, peppery notes, and more than a little cumin. It all fizzes in the nose quite pleasantly. Hard to say if this is a fougere or a chypre, but without a clear lavender/coumarin accord I'll abide the Leffingwell and call it a chypre.

I love fragrances that smell natural like this, with good note separation and few-to-none of those "synthetic" and intentionally "unnatural" accords found in many perfumes (the peach undecalactone in Mitsouko is a basic example of that). This fragrance contains one of the most efficient and smoothly-blended of wormwood notes, faceted with juniper and birch, and supported by crisp oakmoss, green-leafy tea, and jasmine, with just the faintest hint of cinnamon. As it dries down to the base, the spices loosen up and blur into a vague woody note, which is okay but not as enthralling as the top and heart stages. But this happens after a lovely interlude of grassy floral notes, about an hour into wear. It could be the coriander playing off of certain floral elements, but I swear there's a hint of chamomile here as well. Although it uses some contemporary aroma chemical combos courtesy of Ellena's '90s style, the composition and how it's executed definitely feels more like a gentle woody-aromatic from the '70s. Unforgettable and unmistakable, Declaration is a true masterwork of olfactory design, and a good reference for where fragrances like Yatagan, YSL Pour Homme, and Escape for Men ended up.

Robmeister32
Robmeister32

Pencil shavings in a bottle. I love it!

Evan_
Evan_

You find yourself in a lush and vivid forest with the warm sun on your face. As you wander, the density of the forest transitions into ancient woods, with spacious arcades of old trees.
Sophisticated, classical and stylish.

Sadly enough, it seems that the reformulation, which has less longevity and projection, has reached the Netherlands as well. The box I bought had a border around the name, whereas the old boxes haven't, and I have the impression this EDT used to last longer. New boxes possibly also contain the new formula?

Doesn't last very long on my dry skin, but still worth the purchase in my opinion.

bmichlig
bmichlig

Beautiful. I'm a woman who tends to prefer "men's" scents - in current summer rotation are Eau d'Hermes, Encre Noir, Eau de Givenchy, Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella, and Metal. Declaration is a great combination of Eau d'Hermes and Sonia Rykiel Woman Not For Man - great creamy, leathery, slightly sweet dry down with citrus-spice-cumin on top. Love. A great value, too.

popescuionut100
popescuionut100

Smells good,very much like Deep Woods,an old Oriflame fragrance that i've been "craving" for some time but still i wouldn't pay 100 Euro for Declaration!
Longevity on my skin it's not worth the price...i mean,Chanel-yes, it's worth but not this one.
UPDATE:6 months later i bought a sample and i'm confused.
The first time i tested it i remember i liked it a lot but now... the opening is too sweet and pungent and kinda sour-ish.
UPDATE:30 minutes later it settles down and i can smell once again what i first liked:the resemblance with Deep Woods and rich woody notes
If only i could ignore the first half of hour...
Longevity:about 4 hours

Big Beak
Big Beak

It seems the cardamom and cumin in here makes Declaration smell like sweat/body odor. I was unsure though because this does smell interesting.

I asked nearly 10 people what they thought of this. Most disliked it. Only one loved it (he's a fragrance fanatic). Even worse, the other 9 aren't the usual "fresh" aqautic-lovers either.

Pity though. This has good longevity (~8h) and moderate projection. Definitely don't blind buy this.

georgequeue
georgequeue

I just bought a 10 ml. flacon of this juice a few hours ago. At the beginning, I didn't like it (a little bit strong), but as the scent develops, it becomes really nice and classy.

It's a citrusy woodsy scent to me, and I can feel a well-balanced amount of incense. A 100 ml bottle of Déclaration will be my next purchase after I get Fahrenheit Absolute.

siddiquewallace
siddiquewallace

hmmmm....you cant go wrong with this one.intoxicating to the last drop.this is for the sophisticated man not "boys"..lol. Draws compliments like crazy

come on y'all know Cartier is pure quality

jotalopez
jotalopez

And God created Déclaration!

amirabbas
amirabbas

This one reminds me of my childhood. I got used to go to mountains with my father. In this fragrances there are some planets (and roots of some herbs) that are so familiar to me and I've smelt them in mountains. They are so fresh and crisp. The mixture of this herbal scent with some fresh spices made a beautiful perfume that gives you energy in hot summer days.

Here in my country there are some grocery stores that sell dried herbs, spices and some other herbal medicines. People by them here to use them as Traditional medicine. This perfume smell a lot like those places for me.

By the way it’s a good perfume. Longevity is very good (around 8 hours for me) with 4-5 hours of soft projection. For me the first two hours is a little sharp and overwhelming but after that it will become soft and pleasing.
Recommended :) give it a try

این عطر منو یاد بچگی هام می ندازه که با پدرم می رفتیم کوه. دقیقا بوی گیاهان کوهی میده. بوی خیلی خنک و شادی داره. ترکیب گیاهان خنک با ادویه های خنک یه عطر جالب ایجاد کرده که تو روزهای گرم تابستون بهتون انرژی میده

البته بوش شاید برای ما ایرانی ها خیلی آشنا باشه چون به نظرم اگر چند دقیقه تو عطاری بیاستید خیلی از نت های داخل این عطر رو تو عطاری استشمام می کنید. خیلی به نظرم بوی گیاهان خشک و ادویه های توی عطاری رو میده. خودم به همین دلیل تصمیمی برای خریدش ندارم

اگر با عطاری و بوی گیاهان مشکلی ندارید تستش کنید. ماندگاریش هم بود نیست و چهار پنح ساعتی به راحتی پخش بو داره و روی پوست من من حدود 8 ساعتی هم می مونه ولی دیگه پخش قوی بو نداره. دو ساعت اولش یه خورده بوی ادویه و گیاهانش تند هست ولی بعد از اون خیلی بوی ملایم و دوست داشتنی پیدا می کنه.

اگر جایی دیدیدش تستش کنید. بد نیست :)

No True Scotsman

Update: I purchased a 50ml EdT of Declaration a week ago and I'm delighted with it. From reading the reviews and talk of reformulation I think I still got a bottle out of an old batch, which suits me fine.

I usually find myself naturally drawn to heavy, sweet, balmy fragrances with lots of vanilla - just about the exact polar opposite to Declaration. Thing is, my preferred vanillabombs tend to be much better suited to colder weather. What to wear in summer?
Definitely Declaration. It is a wonderful everyday scent. It does smell classy and interesting, not at all cheap or bland. But while I think it is rather sophisticated, it is not intimidatingly so. I'm just as happy wearing Declaration to pop to the cornershop dressed in tracky bottoms, flip flops and a vest top, as I am to go to lunch in a nice restaurant with an older friend. It dresses up or down so easily and just feels right for just about every occasion - with the possible exception of a big night out. I'd probably still pick a sweeter, heavier scent for that.

So yeah, Declaration is definitely *fresh* spicy, it's green rather than sweet on me. I get a little bit of citrus, which I rarely do on my skin, or if I do it doesn't usually last very long (L'Eau D'Issey... sad face). I don't get any clear florals.
So Declaration on me is mainly fresh spicy, a little bit citrussy, quite smoky, and it has the most glorious woodsy edge which just makes this fragrance so deliciously sharp to me. I also get a whiff of that metallic tang people mention, and I love it.
Dry-down on me is almost completely linear. Very little changes from first spritz to, actually, well over 10 hours later. Impressive longevity! The only thing that changes is the edge becomes ever-so-slightly less sharp over time, almost a tiny teensy bit powdery but not quite. Moderate projection - no more than a rather short arm's length. Definitely enough for me to catch wonderful whiffs of myself when I move.

Very very happy with this in the formulation I purchased. Hoping for many more hot sticky days so I'll get loads of wear out of this wee gem this summer.

No True Scotsman

I *love* this one. A good friend of mine put some on this afternoon and I thought he smelled sooo good I asked to try some. As a woman, I would say this smells delicious on men and women alike and I totally want to get me a bottle of my very own! It's fresh and light but not watery or frail, I think the woodsy base keeps it standing tall. Sillage isn't huge on me, I used some generous squirts and it's just enough to let me smell it nicely in the background without having to sniff my wrists. A fantastic summer scent.

thomkallor
thomkallor

Stopped by Sephora today (NYC) and applied several VERY generous squirts of this one, plus the Essence version to my wrists and forearms. I drenched myself, actually. This was no more than an hour ago. Though I am an amateur nose, I am not insensitive and I do not consider myself a beginner. I cannot distinguish between the two, no matter how many times I sniff back and forth. Though the scent (singular, not plural, since so far as I am concerned, I am dealing with one scent) is undeniably lovely....mellow, soothing, elegant. Not something I smell on the young men on the streets. It really boils down to orange and ashtray....not at all unpleasant, but rather weak. Considering how much I sampled, I should really stink; in truth, the scent is not projecting from arm to nose :( Lovely though, just needs a little more oomph!

Louis Ramos
Louis Ramos

It may not be one of my favorite flagrances.
I prefer Cartier Roadster, YSL la Nuit, Joop Homme, Jil Sander Sun for example. But..
I have since 5 weeks an aftershave bootle of Declaration, which as an aftershave is far better than Roadster and all the other aftershaves I've had. I apply at 7.30. The nice scent is present the entire day till even 16.00 On my face and hands. I am aware of it all day, in fact till I take a shower in the evening, which unfortunately is not the case with Roadster.
I'm curious about the EDT's longevity: it must be huge!
Asf ar as the scent conserns: I like it more and more every day.

badkarma
badkarma

The first time I smelled this, I hated it. Then I noticed that I couldn't help but sniff my wrist every ten minutes. This is good.

Declaration is a refined well balanced fragrance, for a man sure of himself, not trying to impress anyone with a spicy woodsy bomb,on the contrary, he oozes with sophistication, and his fragrance reflects his good taste and his outlook on life.
Seriously this is one nice scent, nicely balanced, some spiciness, woodsy but just enough, casual charm, yet elegant, mature also...
It is on my wish list for my husband, once he is done his Aventus, I like the quiet masculinity of the scent, the freshness, it seems suited for every occasion really . Cartier makes great scents.

IsaIsabella

Cartier Declaration is one special fragrance. It is able to ensure that its citrus mandarin note lasts throughout the entire fragrance - a feat that even pricier fragrances may not achieve. Plus, this fragrance is not cloying for there is no vanilla involved. Even the mild whiff of cinnamon every now and then lends a faint sweetness to it. Perfect for day time, perfect for hot weather, perfect for me.

P.S I'm female and my body chemistry loves citrus scents(usually).
Moderate sillage. Will update on longevity. Edit: lasted around 5-6 hours on my skin.

Edit: Tried it for the second time in the store before I grabbed a bottle but it evolved differently this time. Far too spicy and too cinnamon. What happened?! I'm gonna test this a few more times before I decide on it. :(

kazewayz
kazewayz

I don't know but I just don't want to smell like Asian food. I don't know what note is in there that doesn't make me enjoy this. A no no, for me. Try it for your self.

Nicolas V
Nicolas V

A total masterpiece. Honey and citrus with some white flowers and perhaps a cigarette somewhere in the background. A poet's fragrance. The more time you spend with it, the better it gets.

Magie Noir
Magie Noir

Noses from person to person differ. Some smell more 'shallowly' some more deeper. Some smell herbaceous and tea tree, while other feel most of the notes. The VERY MOMENT I smelled it I bought a bottle.

It opens both with spices and citruses, interchangeably. And then cardamon takes place along with string of leather and some tonka. The funny thing is that the citrus stays all time compared to other perfumes.

Truly complex and masterful creation of Ellena. It may be a typical night perfume but when you put it in the morning you realize it brightens up your day. It is for those men who want to excell authority but still be gentle. Excellent for attracting people too. Probably contains some pheromone.

fahadharoon
fahadharoon

Absolutely wonderful! To my nose, the initial burst is a little too overwhelming but in a couple of minutes settles down to a cardamom, cumin concoction that smells sophisticated. I don’t get that curry- smelly armpit juice smell that some are talking about. This is a very nice and strong blend. One of my favourite.

GMK
GMK

Absolutely a Masterpiece by a Genius.... love the way Ellena has blended cardamom with spices in a very lovely flowery background... its like a classic theater performance where characters being shuffling and shifting around the lead character. Elegant is the word for this creation . Bravo.

hgonzalez
hgonzalez

Sorry but this fragance make me sick. I try once and have to take a shower cause i feel dizzy.

I don't know what happend but i can't tolerate this smell.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Spicy? Woody? No - not at all. I get citrus with a hint of ginger. I wondered whether I got a sample of Declaration Cologne, which this descriptions fits, but, no, the Sephora I used only had Declaration. So I believe I smelled the new formulation.

That being said, I like it. A good summertime scent.

However my wife's assessment - "cleaning product" - suggested I won't be buying any.

-------

Update: A woman at a counter gave me a little glass sample bottle of this. Same citrus/ginger scent - no spice or woods.

-------

Second wearing: I get some tea or floral notes now. But my impression of this frag is still good.

----------

I own it; I bought a tester at a good price. Now that I'm used to this stuff I get the spices. It took me some time to figure out that spicy didn't automatically mean peppery. And I can see how people might get a stale sweat note out of it. I don't - at least, my sweat doesn't smell like this, but I quite like this fragrance. It'll be great in the hot weather, I think.

jacobbonilla

@ wesleyhclark- That's weird, cuz citrus is what I get least. It has a slightly dirty smell, a cool soft metal dry down if you could imagine... I'm wondering if you got a sample of one of the flankers..? Or did you get the 1998 declaration? Hmm

ali..khalili
ali..khalili

ادکلنی که برای مردان طبقه بندی شده است ولی خانمان براحتی میتوانند از ان استفاده کنند.ادکلن خوشبویی است بوی تر و تمیزی دارد که رایحه لیمو در ان مشهود است.ماندگاری خوب و پخش متوسطی دارد.برای یک بار داشتن میارزد.برای چهارفصل. ماندگاری:8.5/10.پخش بو:6/10.متفاوت بودن:6/10.ارزش خرید:7/10

anna.023

This is one of the few perfumes that compleatly had me at the first sniff! I still remember standing in the department store in Corfu on my holidays thinking I should smell something new and just picked this bottle because it was the closest unknown I could find.

I was amazed! This is exacly what I want! I ended up using it all summer and I smelled great!;)

I totally love the spices, it's unik because it really is spicy, edgy and still fresh at the same time. So many perfumes fail to deliver in that category.

It's not easy to smell edgy, fresh, deep and intresting at the same time but Declaration really does. It's both male and feminime with an egde. I think this might be The One for me... I havn't gor tired of it yet so I think we have a great future with many happy years to come, me and Declaration.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

It took me quite some time to get used to ST Dupont pour homme but when I did I was ready for Cartier Declaration. I must say just like others have done so far tha they are almost the same, identical twins, CD being sweeter and STD spicier and more pineapple like.Even in quality terms they are in the same league, although STD costs a fraction of any Cartier. I am very happy they work for me just fine. Another good thing is that they are not so popular. One last thing STD seems to be more serious than Cartier's, not classier, just would go nicer in a more formal setting. Needles to go through notes and stuff, it is a first class fragrance done by a house I do admire. Dupont's is not even an inch behind.

trickykid300
trickykid300

Hmm its not bad, I like it, but it reminds me of my grandmothers scented soaps. To the point i cant wear it without thinking of her. Good ol factory memories. ITs a nice clean invigorating scetn but try before you buy. I am not a fan of 'clean/soapy' scents but a lot of people are.

moira-R
moira-R

A truly beautiful fragrance. I like to wear it to work with a business suit. It is elegant and self-controlled, smooth and light, no-nonsense and very well constructed. It's also very attractive. Almost all modern fragrances which declared as "attractive/sexy/seductive" are usually agressive, or vulgar, or too sweet, or on the contrary too soft. But it's not about Declaration.
Declaration has a perfect balance. I can't say that there are one or two strong dominant notes in it. I can hear almost all pyramid - it's really interesting fact. I also like that Declaration is beautiful both on men and on women.
For me Declaration is associated with an expensive, high-quality suit fabrics / / for light summer business suit / / to which you want to touch.
P.S. Its longevity is about 10 hours on my skin!

saguna
saguna

Fresh, warm, citrusy, beautiful. Shows its beauty after 20-30 minutes, when you will feel this gentle, fruity, but masculine blast.
For me it's more rich version of CK One and more lemons and oranges. Lasting power is not too excellent, about 4-5 hours, when starting from 3rd hour its very quiet.

deadidol
deadidol

A real scrubber for me, I'm afraid; literally makes me feel ill.

I get some woodsy notes, but on me it screams of cheap soap and really bad body odor, all wrapped up in a space that either resembles a thrift store, a hospital, or a retirement home.

I'm glad so many others like it, but it's a clear case of different strokes for different folks as this, to me, is literally one of the most unpleasant fragrances I've ever smelled (and I've smelled secretions magnifique)!

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

------------------------ CARTIER - DÉCLARATION -----------------------

Déclaration is one of the most sophisticated and elegant scent ever created, period. Such a wonderful blend of ingredients.
Déclaration opens with a blast of spices : cumin, cardamom giving a sharp and metallic side to the scent.. I also get a lot of birch wood, giving some smokiness.
It then dries down to a smoky and spicy scent, coupled with woods and leather. Mature and elegant.
Body odor ? I get a hint of it and it is really appealing. It makes it smell more "human".

Declaration is long lasting. I was flying from Washington to Frankfurt yesterday, I sprayed Déclaration 2 hours before departure, and I could still smell it quite clearly after landing, so it actually lasted about 10-11h !
It's a fragrance that will surprise you as it evolves, sometimes you'll think that it's gone and it just comes back in your face and you're like "WOW".
Projection is moderate. Will not offend anyone if you don't overspray.

Déclaration is the right perfume for me. Not too dirty, not too delicate. Just the right balance between the good and the vile, it is like a beautiful Mahler symphony, that takes time to reveal all its beauty : there are so many different music instruments in the orchestra, and yet you can still distinguish each of them when the music's playing. Same goes for Déclaration. An orchestra of notes, where the roles are so well coordinated by Mr Ellena (the conductor) that the melody simply turns into something magical.

Music to the nose, that's how I would qualify it.

Gets many compliments ! Suits any season and occasion. Very versatile stuff ! Furthermore Declaration is definitely not the most common scent out there.

Sometimes nicknamed the father of Terre d'Hermès (another masterpiece by JCE), Déclaration is my all time favorite, my signature fragrance.
It's like a second skin, a piece of myself. Even blind, anybody who knows me would be able to recognize me only by whiffing Déclaration on my neck.

A true masterpiece.

clausa
clausa

unisex fragrance women also can take you.

aqua76239
aqua76239

When I tried it, this is the first scent that literally burned my nose upon first spray. Not sure why that is as it never happened to me before.
Its a very green and herbal scent, that after it mellowes out reminds me a great deal of Bvlgari Eau Perfumee(I think that's the name, the one in the large green bottle which they market as unisex). There is a tea note in this and this is what I end up mostly smelling. It has a leather note but its MIA to my nose. I get mostly tea and woodsy notes, with citrusy sharp beginning. Definately not in your face kind of scent, it lays close to your skin and doesn't project well. Its smells classy and I think that if you want to wear something subtle, this is a good candidate.
I can't say its anything particularly different or unique though.
Btw, I am a woman and this could definately be a unisex scent. I was told by SA, a lot of ladies buy this

bryan.dinh
bryan.dinh

Pure Birchwood and Bayleaf with a hint of citrus in my skin with no BO. I guess I'm the lucky one.

Anatolian_Swarthy

reinhard5490, u r right , when i firstly sniffed it i said "hw can they make this bad perfume :(?" but 1-1,5 hour later i sniffed it again and my opininon changed,really big change

Arabelle
Arabelle

I was excited to find a big bottle of Declaration on clearance for $49 because I don't have a single Cartier in my collection. Boy, was I disappointed! To me, it smells like armpit or someone who eats too much cumin or curry. What a turn off! Not worth the expensive price tag. Back to the store it will go.

i tried today it
when i wear it just sniffed it,and i thought "what a bad",but 20 mnts later i said "hmmm..what a beautiful scent",and then i sniffed my wrist again again,

it s different scent,floral scent shouts "im here, sniff me"
and the longevity is really long..!

Inessa66613
Inessa66613

I'm going to get one for myself. On the paper stick it smelled unbelievable (30 minutes after I sprayed it). It's funny but it smells like a nice quality paper probably USA declaration of independence smells the same :) It smells COSY, clean and a bit tasty...like I don't know what proper word I need to pick up, maybe it's caraway that I smell the most and love so much about this perfume.

shahab.zaidi

Very nice and delicate. The thing that strikes me is the uniqueness. Very uplifting and warm. Longevity is very good. Outstanding indeed.

juancar_66

It´s the masterpiece of Jean Claude Ellena to me.
Very good for all ocasions (best in evening at night).
Very masculine, some green, some oriental, some woody, some spyce and some flower notes, very good combinated they have sensuality and sexuality in elegance aparience ever.
One of the bests really.

topolcats
topolcats

I just bought this scent on spec.
Very nice indeed. I like "Terre" better but this scent is more subtle,but still sophisticated.

My girl is not home yet so I can't test the reaction sexually. However I suspect she will love it?

rzetzm
rzetzm

My new 'everyday' scent, this is what I wear to work, on casual outings, or just going out and don't know quite what to put on, but want to smell really nice. This fragrance would work well on most males.

A pretty woody fragrance, definitely some sweet and almost cinnamon spice to the bottle. It's just an all-around good-smelling, safe scent. Worth trying.

shahab.zaidi

Classic, soothing very nice aroma.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

Quite possibly the best use of orange that I've smelled in a fragrance. It is categorized under woody floral musk, but there is no musk to be smelled. I would classify it as a either a citrus aromatic due to the sharp bitter orange, or woody aromatic due to the drydown. It is a light fragrance, and although it comes off very strong and harsh on opening, it settles down to a skin scent rapidly. It is the beginning of winter so maybe the cold has a play in the projection. To me, it can be worn year round but will probably perform highest during late spring/summer. It is the sophisticated mature yet modern man in a bottle. I payed $35 for a tester, but can also be found at TJ Maxx for around $70. If you like a clean, citrusy subtle scent with very quality ingridiants, try this. Safe for a blind buy.

Migalex
Migalex

I quite like this scent. Smells much more complex and dense than most fragrances for men these days.

aucffan1

2nd review on Declaration and its going to be short..

Women want to lick me while I am wearing this.

Great stuff that the ladies really dig.

jezzey
jezzey

I spent a small sum of money on small bottles of high- rated colognes (from this website). Declaration by Cartier takes the cake. My one complaint is that it has a weak sillage with a fast meltdown to its basenotes. Perhaps I should try essense of declaration? As far as I understand, that scent is similar, less complex, strong, and longlasting. Too bad there isn't a compromise.

Mia D.
Mia D.

amazing scent!!! men use it :)

aucffan1

Truly one of the best colognes a Man could own.. I some times debate which I will wear, Declaration or Imperial Millesime by Creed..

This is that good.

It last, it is super super pleasant and warming, and gets lots of passionate hugs from the ladies.

10-10 stars..

lily.alexanyan
lily.alexanyan

I love men smelling this fragrance !!! Amazing scent.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A fresh spicy fragrance with bitter oranges and pepper with a good dose of cumin is what I'm picking up off the top. This is a complex fragrance and there is a lot of notes in the mix.

I have to say this is a very good fragrance that keeps on giving as I'm now picking up a fresh neroli scent. It takes you on a journey from its spicy citrus opening to a fresh neroli heart and lots more. Good stuff I'm impressed!

jacobbonilla

Made a blind buy, and it was love at first sniff!.. As for my fiance, love at first sniff! This is a sophisticated fragrance, one of my favorites from Jean Ellena. If there is a smell for cool metal that's this in the dry down.

AbBlue
AbBlue

Complexity is the word. I don't see a masterpiece, but a very original scent. I don't think this one is unisex. Cannot be your signature, nor a blind buy and for me, it's a summer only scent. Also, You won't get a lot of compliments... Despite all this, I'm writing positive about Declaration. What I like the most of this one is the chord of pepper and birch wood, it reminds me of a long time ago, as a child, sharpening a pencil. This one is very long lasting with a projection that won't hurt anybody (at least 15 minutes after spraying). Another good thing about Declaration is spending some time trying to identify the other notes, there they are, but you have to wait. No need to get close to do it, just wait. The thing I don't like: having to wait until next summer. Maybe is the perfect excuse to make that trip to the beach.
Update.- I'm not so sure anymore about wearing this on summer or winter, day or night...
***
Complejidad es la palabra. No veo una obra de arte, sino una esencia muy original. No creo que sea unisex. No puede ser tu firma, ni una compra a ciegas, y para mí, es sólo para el verano. Además, no obtendrás muchos halagos... a pesar de todo esto, escribo un comentario positivo sobre Declaration. Lo que más me gusta es el acorde de pimienta y abedul, me recuerda un momento hace mucho tiempo, de niño, sacando punta a un lápiz. Tiene muy buena duración, con una proyección que no lastimará a nadie (al menos no después de 15 minutos de aplicar). Otra cosa buena sobre Declaración es que puedes pasar algún tiempo tratando de identificar las otras notas, están ahí, pero tienes que esperar. No necesitas acercarte, sólo esperar. Lo que no me gusta: tener que esperar al siguiente verano. Quizá sea la excusa perfecta para hacer ese viaje a la playa.
Actualización.- Ya no estoy seguro sobre si es una fragancia para verano, invierno, día noche...

paulhunter
paulhunter

This is a very contradictory fragrance, because it smells very soapy but also very body-odorous. It's like someone was sweaty and gross and took a shower but didn't quite get the smell off, but their soap smell is still lingering too. I wouldn't pay for it.

empathyboy
empathyboy

First hit is like the rising heat of a plastic classroom chair from which your secret crush has just vacated, after a three hour exam in a stuffy and humid examination hall. Just as well your secret crush loves to wear plenty of citrus!

I am rather surprised to read that some think it is like Voyage d'Hermes. The only similarities are that it carries Jean Claude Ellena's signature and is a little peppery with a slight sweaty bum-hole note. The scent itself though is as different as what Van Gogh's Sunflowers is to Van Gogh's, ahem, Chair.

juancar_66

Very good masculine parfum.
One of the best works of Jean Claude Ellena to me.
Wood smoked and cold spyces are genials and make it diferent over others...

This is my 2nd review ,
and I would like to say sorry about what I said b4 that
declaration have a minimal similarities with s.t dupont
pour homme , but there is an obvious similarity ,
and this similarity is obvious at the top notes the most, but then it decreases , but still there is a similarity , but I still like declaration more , as it
is stronger in scent , and also I like declaration scent
more , s.t dupont is more greeny and flowery than declaration,
declaration is more woody , and have more spices.
final update : ( it is not similar to s.t dupont pour homme ).

Many years ago I tested Declaration and found it just sooo good!
I'm not much into male scents but wearing So Pretty (sadly discontinued) I was curious about a male counterpart.
The fragrance is more complex than it seems but teh final result is both distinct and unfussy. I don't like that I smell it around too often.
I gave this to my bf and he liked it because it keeps fresh and citrusy enough for him. He's not the type for Terre d'Hermes (yum!)
Now after sampling so many perfumes and niche along the years Declaration smells a little too common and not too refined, but still a great male scent, especially if you want to wear a quality scent that became kind of an acquired taste. You cannot go wrong with this, but you won't probably go original and out of the folks.
It still grabs attention anyway and gives a positive masculin vibe with the unfuss and not aggressive attitude.
The citrus fades in a short time but the base with wood and a little powder is longlasting and pleasant for long time.
As far as I know it should be one of the scents with ISO-E-Super molecule.

The similarity between this and S.T Dupont pour homme
is minimal , why , because this scent is woody spicy,
I can't recognize the floral notes in it , as opposed
to dupont which got floral note , so as for me this
scent is unique , it is hard to find a similar 1 or
near to it , so I find it a piece of art for its own,
so this scent is composed of spices at its heart ,
while dupont have spices on its head notes only,
and from here u got the difference ,as for me ,
I do prefer declaration more , as a unique scent ,
balancing two kind of notes which are the woods and
the spices, I think that yatagan may be the nearest
to it in scent rather than dupont , coz yatagan
have too many spices that is obvious as declaration,
I give this scent 8.5/10

sameel
sameel

super perfume big attention getter! 9/10

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

Declaration is proof that fragrance homes can produce quality perfumes. Voyage d'Hermes smells identical to this. However there are a couple of problems I have with the EDT version of Voyage.. Longevity is #1 & then it does not project much. Declaration on the other hand has very good projection & longevity.

It can be worn spring, summer, & fall in my opinion. That is where this fragrance really shines. Ginger, spices & citruses make a nice masculine quality scent. I would without a shadow of a doubt take this over Voyage d'Hermes.. Not saying that it is a bad scent, but compared to this it is not worthy. Cartier makes some of the best colognes in the world. If you have not tried this than stop messing around & get to it! ENJOY!

juancar_66

I use this one from April 2009, and i think it´s the best male parfum by Jean Claude Ellena, very diferent of Voyage to me, Voyage it´s a creation from others works by Ellena, and this one it has self-personaity and more masculine really. 10/10 Genial !!!

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A dual-dimensional scent which is very manly and stays close to the skin for a long time...

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0-15 secs - Citrus, bergamot, alive, bright, younger

15 secs - 1 hours - Flooded room when applied but soon dies down to 10 inch projection with occasional foot projection. This is like a more basic version of Terre D Hermes Parfum. It looses the very initial citrus edge and becomes woody and brown with leather and ginger coming to the fore

1 hours - 3 hours - 4 inch projection. Becomes more manly - ages 48 - 58

3 hours - 5 hours. Leather dominant with some background ginger

5 hours - 9 hours - smokiness and pepper comes in as it becomes more spicier on the skin

IMHO Terre D Hermes EDP (Parfum) is much more complex than this and projects much better so I would recommend you test that frag if you are considering this one

junior halston
junior halston

This scent reminds me of that expensive potpourri from San Francisco by Agraria I believe it is called Bitter Orange.

RachelGrigg

I have worn a sample all day and love it, though the initial blast is a bit screechy onion Bahji... I'm trying to get over that. I'm loving the dry down but I can't say it have massive longevity on me. Still I just this second bought a bottle even though I bought enough in the last couple of weeks..! I figure it costs less than an Indian takeaway anyway!

RachelGrigg

Why is ISO super E not mentioned in the notes? Ellena loves it!

Leccamastice
Leccamastice

Wearing this just makes you unforgettable to anyone. Different, classy, a self-confidence booster. Try this when approaching a girl.

Goldfinch
Goldfinch

I'm neither a very 'girly girl' nor a tomboy, I love feminine scents, but I love Declaration on myself! (And my HB loves it on me, too...) I think, it's unisex. 'Mr. Ellena's mark' is hard to mistake here. On my skin it's very similar to Bvlgari's Eau Parfumée au The Vert Extreme (another gem from J.C. Ellena), but more interesting with the leather. Fortunately I don't get this 'body odor' feeling, but cumin makes an interesting bitterness in the first ten minutes, which I love. After a while the scent becomes more powdery, the iris and the fine leather get stronger on my skin (I feel some similarity to Dior Homme Intense after some hours, too). Longevity is excellent, sillage is nice. I happily feel it on myself or on a handsome guy, too;)...

everlast31
everlast31

@ shespeaks23: lol it's got to be the cumin note, i don't like how this fragrance smells on me

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

My first impression:
A mixture of orange, bergamot and ginger with pepper and a bit of iris pleased me, this is more citrusy peppery beginning after the citrus is going away and begins to aperecer wood. The pepper and ginger remain strong. A great option for day, since not too hot.

shespeaks23
shespeaks23

I hope my comment does not offend anyone but,to me theres something about it that smells like a dirty homeless person.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

Opening of this fragrance a bit resemble to Voyage d'Hermes...but while Voyage goes green and woody, this Declaration goes warm and spicy. I got many compliments, and I like it myself. Would like to try the Declaration Essence if I have a chance.

pdubrogers
pdubrogers

just wore it for the past couple of days and determined will not buy. I Like the dry down quite a lot but for me that's all it has to offer. Smells like B.O. when first applied.

Mmefleur72
Mmefleur72

I have only just realised its a men's scent!
Purchased at the airport en route to a summer break, for me I love the
Jasmine, orange, spicy citrus combination IMO I also find it watery? I very much enjoy the whole package
Does anyone think it is similar to Hermes voyage

Lolalemon
Lolalemon

This doesn't smell like sweat to me... But!--Anyone remember the original ladies' deoderant " Secret"? This smells exactly like that- while wearing a new leather jacket and a squirt of vintage rive gauche (women's) for the oakey aldehyde. I find this cologne more feminine than ladies' classics like Coco and Opium. Still, I like it.

Akhan
Akhan

I think freedom of expression is the most important, lberating, feeling of our time. Everyone has the right to express his opinion unreservedly. That said I think one should not be crude in criticism either.

This particluar frgrance is very tricky. I have a love-hate relationship with it . When I spray it on me, and three to four sprays are enough, I feel a cloud of pleasant citrus and freshness around me, but right after something nasty kicks in, after I think about 30 mins or so. It's the cardemom that literally kills this and takes over the projection. After a few hours, the scent mellows down, though the cardemom remains strong. Longevity is monstrous. I can smell it the next day on my collar. I really don't know how to feel about this one, its perplexing ! I still wonder if its some sort of a practical joke by JCE - master perfumer. I simply love Terre. The mistake I made in this case was that I rushed into buying this when I tried it on. bUT who knows I could begin to fancy it at some point..... :-s unlikely though. Or is it because the composition simply does not suit my skin ?

Chanel Man
Chanel Man

Cartier Declaration is sophistication in a bottle very refined a masterpiece.

Kharnak
Kharnak

CITRUS!! Sweet Peppery herbal, lemon mint, elegant. (for a moment i was thinking of Lemon Pepper rotisserie BBQ chicken!) Lemony sweet, somewhat akin to the floor cleaner vibe. It's got some sweet vanilla which reminds me of the Vanilla accord of Pi Givenchy.
Spicy Ginger, Cinnamon, Pepper, and Tea. Come on, it's not dirty. This is not the Sweaty Armpit i was hoping for at all, but it sure smells good ON one, it harmonizes wonderfully on a guy. I'm getting a ton of bright lemon peel, orange peel. Smooth sweet sugary vanilla Dry Down, even though it doesn't list Vanilla. This is going to be part of my Lemon Fresh wardrobe section.

DelicateOrchid
DelicateOrchid

This is not a blind buy fragrance!
The first notes that absolutely explode smell like sweaty pepper & a little dirt. I find this scent repulsive for the first 5 minutes. I actually love pepper, but this is sweat of dirty unattractive pepper. I so disliked this initial take that I felt I wanted to wash it off immediately, but knowing better, I waited for the dry-down. For anyone who feels similarly, i would advise to do the same... as the dry-down is much better than the opening. It develops into a rather light, slightly citrusy fresh scent. I do not find that this develops into much of a spicy or woody fragrance. I would say it is very suitable for a summer evening. It is to my nose a much more masculine scent. All in all, the opening is enough to turn me off of this scent (as the dry-down doesn't make up for it nearly enough). This one does not appeal to either my husband or myself.

Cartier DECLARATION offers the unmistakeable feeling of a masculine cologne (not unisex--I would never wear this myself). I do not find this to smell very natural, to be honest, but it smells like a well-blended--albeit synthetic--floral woody musk, with an emphasis on the second and third terms of the triad. When I say that this smells synthetic I am not criticizing the composition so much as stating a fact. In the realm of men's colognes, those which are not focused solely upon citrus and vetiver often share this synthetic vibe, at least to my nose.

My best guess is that the synthetic musks used in this eau de toilette are detectable to varying degrees by different people, which is why so many detractors are screaming "sweaty armpits" and the like. Unprompted, I would not have described this scent as a sweaty armpit facsimile, but if I concentrate on it long enough, I am able to imagine why someone might say such a thing. All in all, an interesting blend!

narigudo
narigudo

another gem by ellena. this perfume is an amazing mixture of flowers, woods and spices. starts with unbelievable natural smell;a natural explosion, with much orange/lime and spices, so multidimensional, like a grove breeze. during the day, the scent turns into a delicious, comfortable, elegant,warm,calming and sexy creamy wood perfume. greats longevity and projection .

titommh
titommh

I agree with all of those who dislike this fragrance.
this is just too spicy .. I really don't know how dose it work for the rest of you all, but I just don't understand did this make it's way to the market?
for me 4/10.

pinky.misha
pinky.misha

so sexy.but not enought for winter.i thinks this for night summer.

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

those who moan this smells like body odour,please do yourselves a favor and bottle your sweat and start marketing them as you are very lucky indeed to "stink" so divinely.Yep,some of us will still rush to buy it and make you millions.

This lasts all day in autumn and winter.not tried in summer so cant comment.the dry down does remind me of fleurs de bois by Miller Harris.

Very distinctly well done fragrance

marioslg3

this is one of the perfume that you dont smell every day. it is something with character and class. There are plenty of perfumes out there, more expensive also but i have to admit that this is one of the best masculine perfumes for men with taste above 25. The essence edition is very similar but there is something in the original version which i prefer by far. the overall result for my nose is beyond any doubt...one of the best. and it is one of the best not only because it smells nice and classy but because is not something that your smell around the corner. This represents at the max the Cartier house. for me, for my taste, together with Terre d Hermes are the best ambassadors of Jean Claude Ellena's job. You can find something of the one in the other although are very different. It is such a romantic, refined, classy, quality scent!!!! Totally recommended!

daisymargueritte
daisymargueritte

I got three Cartier samples today: Baiser Volé, Eau de Cartier and Declaration. Of the three, Declaration is the one I dislike the least. It just somehow smelled familiar to some of Hermes' Jardins, so I looked up the nose, and it's Monsieur Ellena. He likes to make personal statements out of his creations. This one is "top down": first green, then woody, and finally earthy. It's definitely something popular with professional men, I have smelled this around me a number of times.

sf2explus
sf2explus

This scent is excellent. It's a scent people will not forget if they spend a day with you. It starts of with alot of cardamom and bitter orange/grapefruit
slowly mellows out but never leaves the scent. i do smell the lethaer in this but its alot less leather than diors farehight inmo. this is a sweet smelling scent but will get different scents at different stages sometimes you get the fresh quality and sometimes it may be overly spicy almost like you are selling spices in the market while wearing a very nice scent. This scent imo is better suited for the cooler months. when used in the heat it almost smells like another scent altogether which can put alot of people off.
The scent lasts between 8-10 hours on skin
and sillage is decent can leave a huge trail if over applied has a transparent qulity.

Scent 7.5/10

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

Citrusy,spicy,woody,with some sweetness ,quality smell.
It open with lot of cardamom and citrus and that sweet note that i'm talken about.
After that ,pepper join in with birch that give a woody vibe.
Very high class smell,perfect for formal wearing also good for work,but u have to wear it with a shirt.
It's mature,sophisticated and complex.
Unique,only similarity is terre d'hermes and voyage d'hermes,jean claude ellena create the three, they are from same spirit!
Last 8+hours with good projection.

MrMookie
MrMookie

A scent with a big bang!
This one is very deep Its like the smell of sufficating smoke when applied, like walking in a smoke cloud of a burning fragrance factory.
True platform for the more known Terre d'hermes

If you put your nose on skin its will be too much.

But the sillage of this scent is out of this world.

Cartier Declaration can slam your head in the morning giving you a headache going to work if you feel weak because your beginning to feel ill.

It definitely will be stronger then you.

The drydown is remarkable good and more polite. (apart from the first hour(s))

Love it!

missymary
missymary

This smells like the stale sweaty odour of the armpits of an old woolly sweater, mixed with fresh eucalyptus and cedar sawdust. Unbelievable. In the bad sense. A stupid blend of freshness and stink. Probably meant to be avant garde. I wish that I had never smelled Declaration. It has put me off male perfume for life.

netorian
netorian

My old fashioned Mercedes Benz. Maybe Janis Joplin was sitting next to me :-) !

Old styled, but i like it!

bp
bp

Composition of genius.
Absolutely fabulous.
Timeless.

oxm
oxm

Declaration de Cartier is a fragrance that I would call very refined and luxurious sofisticated.Fresh citrus spicy and woody scent that is one of the first to sniff the fragrance you have left in the nose, it gives me like a surreal feeling of deja vu.Ho Declaration heard from a miniature bottle and although I had never heard before, I had the feeling of knowing him for so long, obviously will have a smell like him but it was a good perception about me precise.This scent evokes banquet table white and pristine, crystal and silverware.
The neck of the bottle goes over into a heart-shaped neckline, a promise, but above all a declaration of love, sweet almond as a Japanese in a magical spring.
Very good to try ...

Airdna
Airdna

This is a very unique fragrance, if I smell the spot I sprayed closely, I would get salt and sweat but if I smell it from a foot away then I would get an elegant light floral. It's both soft and sexy at the same time. I can see this work as a sophisticated elegant scent with the right body chemistry.

Jazz.M.777
Jazz.M.777

You know what this smells like? lets put it simple: Your sweaty, you havent bathed in the whole day. You get a bad case of rash in your crotch. With burning passion you roughly scratch your balls and pubic area... after scratching your pubic area you sneakingly smell the tip of your fingers. (i wont go into details of the smell but this is exacly what Declaration smells like) Pure BO and sweaty crotch... -5/10

Edox
Edox

El señor Ellena realizó para la "maison" Cartier un perfume muy en el "estilo" de la casa, Joven y clásico al mismo tiempo, innovador pero de gran elegancia.

Declaration es una fragancia suave pero con una fuerte personalidad que la hace destacar por encima de otras quizás más potentes pero con menos personalidad, originalidad y, sobre todo, "clase".
Es un perfume que se hace de notar pero con elegante discrecion y evoluciona de manera sutil auque firme desde su apertura alegre por los cítricos y misteriosamente especiada sin estridencia alguna (aquí todo está perfectamente medido)
Después van añadiendose muy sabiamente las notas florales, las amaderadas y las verdes muy bien amalgamadas lo que produce sobre esta fragancia un aspecto de gran profundidad y complejidad.
Desde el inicio destacan la lavanda (Aunque no lo hayan desvelado) y el té verde con toques de flor de romero y tomillo, el todo logra infundir una sensacion de paz y calma muy agradables.
Quizás su época ideal puede ser la primavera y la noche primaveral en especial pero, también es cierto, que su elegancia le hace apropiado para toda época del año, así como para cualquier momento (grandes eventos, una ceremonia, para el trabajo o incluso para momentos informales)

Es una fragancia húmeda y limpia con un lado verde muy claro y puro,es sensual y llena de elegante delicadeza; todo ello con la serenidad y equilibrio que caracterizan a la clásica belleza de las grandes obras de arte.

Finisterle
Finisterle

The dress perfume of a master sadist. It excuses itself by feeling well made and expensive. But the bottom line is a knife sharp recreation of pencil shavings. A scary concoction that sings of dead trees blended with industrial chemicals and lead. Everytime I try Declaration I feel I can skip another health trip to Chernobyl.

Roqfort
Roqfort

Really classy, elegant and fresh scent. Lasts whole day. Great buy...

edooardo
edooardo

UNBELIVEABLE: they bottled the real smell of body odor, a sour armpit note.

Imagine a dirty smelly cowboy that spend his hole day working under the sun wearing leather clothes and that at the end of the day arrive home and without taking any shower put on a expensive special rich flowery scent. Thats Declaration by Cartier. The smelly armpit note is stronger than the one in YSL JAZZ.

The flowery notes are chamming, the blend is really complex. Its a well done work, full of notes. Is this for geantlemen? I can not say.

I fell dirty every time i wear it. Maybe its true that the pourpose is to call the attention of the female.. Its very strange to take a shower and fell dirty with this scent.

This is a smelly cowboy tha wear leather and flowers. it is an interesting experience.

Think twice about your reasons to buy this. The first time i wore it, my coleagues at work asked me if i was wearing a dirty t-shirt...

The silage is good.
The longevity is excellent.
The scent is unique.

Ali2s
Ali2s

I heard that it contain pheromones which attract women sexually. That's way most of the men didn't like it and the women love it so much.

jcastano
jcastano

Not bad but far from good. I read about Declaration being a must have in any collection so I bought it blindly and I was a bit disappointed. It smells okay but it's nothing I'd ever wear. I definitely get the BO (Body Odor) smell, not as bad as in L'Essence, but it wears down to a more subtle, citrus, woody scent, at least on my skin. It smells sour yet sweet. Heavy yet transparent. It's very odd. Like Indian spices (heavy on the cumin) doused in citrus. It's very bold and unique but not at all my forte. Jean Claude Ellena, you're a virtuoso in perfumery, but I have no clue what happened here.

Kiki82
Kiki82

I love this edt on men! My first boyfriend used Déclaration by Cartier.. (this is 10 yrs ago.. and i have a new boyfriend) but every time when somebody passes by wearing this perfume, I think i could fall in love with this person! Just because of the smell! :)

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

Unique and original. The sharp "dirty" cumin note mixed with a very beautiful cardemom and some nice woody notes in the drydown makes Declaration a very attractive, sophisticated, and sexy scent. This smells like a expencive niche fragrance, and it`s so much better than most of the boring designer-stuff on the market today. I also recommend the essence version, but the regular version is the best. Mr. Ellenas personal favorit among his work!

mehrdad
mehrdad

دوام خیلی خوبی دارد
رایحه اش گرم و شیرین و با کمی تلخی همراه است
عطر بی آزاری است و بعضی خانمها شاید بخاطر نزدیکی آن به کارهای یونیسکس و عطرهای زنانه زیاد آنرا نپسندند
به هر حال جزو کارهای خوب کارتیه محسوب میشود و معمولا هر کسی که ادکلن باز و مشتاق عطر است ولو یکبار این کار را امتحان نموده است حالا اینکه شاید دیگر نخواهد آنرا بخرد سلیقه ای میباشد همانطور که بعضی نیز دوست دارند دائم از آن استفاده کنند
قبل از خرید حتما تست شده و رضایت خانواده را هم جویا شوید

Heverton
Heverton

My fourth contact with a fragrance created by Jean-Claude Ellena, and what I have say after all this contact? That Ellena definitely leaves it's signature in all his creations!

I noticed that all the fragrances I've tried, and which were created by this master, follows a light trend. Transparent, harmless, so to speak! Always with that note that reminds me of a refreshing breeze on a day of intense heat.

Déclaration follows this same line. At first I detected a certain similarity with Terre d'Hermes, regarding the notes of orange, but it disappeared on me like a flash, and what remained from start to finish of the was a certain note of mango that is not the olfactory pyramid, accompanied by tobacco (which sadly made me sell it, since I was getting too much headache).

Longevity? Surprisingly high! A fresh fragrance for daily use on hot climates that stands on skin forever.

Projection? Very good as well.

Ohkit
Ohkit

Bought it for my father and It smells divine. It's such a mature, elegant and sophisticated perfume, too bad there are not many fragrances for men like this.

kutyafina
kutyafina

I really like this scent! For me it's fresh & spicy :)

William Liang
William Liang

This review is actually for Déclaration Cologne that was launched in 2010. Personally, I love this flanker more than the original which is also a good and unique fragrance. Declaration Cologne is more fresh with it's fresh spicy ginger that gives a crisp, invigorating and effervescent feel and blends perfectly with the cardamom. Truly an unforgettable fragrance!

jBoozy711
jBoozy711

have you ever eaten oranges with chili powder?

to me, this is how declation By cartier smells like

i tried yesterday on paper strip
and today on my wrist

i like it a lot actually

of course it reminded of terre d'hermes

But it reminded more of un jardin en meditarranee By hermes

Both scents a must haves to me, i really enjoy them

My suggestion is to never evaluate a fragrance by simply spraying it on a paperstrip, expecially JC Ellena's compositions. In my opinion the correct way to properly test a fragrance is both (and contemporarely) full wearing it and smelling it on a paperstrip. The first condition gives you an idea of the fragrance's reaction with your body chemistry, of its lasting power, projection and sillage, but most of all being surrounded by its allure, you can concretely realize the character of the composition. The paperstrip test (better done on fabric strips) can definitely help with head notes as they evaporate much faster on the skin.

I thought it was necessary to say this just because by simply test a fragrance on paperstrips we could easily dismiss great masterpieces or, as the case may be, buy a disappointing fragrance being amazed / disappointed by the topnotes. Always take your chance to full wear a fragrance before you buy it.

Said that, after countless full wearings of Declaration I'm still not able to properly appreciate this composition. I've to admit this is a very important release in Ellena's work being the highest and most successful expression of his minimalist period, and it's surely a landmark in modern perfumery, but It still doesn't work for me. After an opening with tones of spices and bergamot, the whole fragrance is dominated by a strong cardamom / cedarwood combination that's way too overwhelming to my nose. This unmistakeable aroma lays on a old fashioned cologne-like base anriched with amber and leather.

Stating to the perfume pyramid I should have dug Declaration (artemisia, leather, birchwood, vetiver...stuff I can go crazy for), but fortunately I always full wear a fragrance before I decide to buy it or even to write a review.

Conclusion: Declaration surely worths a try and a positive rating as one of the most refined and elegant fragrances in the designer's range. I still don't like it but in this specific case must be a matter of skin chemistry.

Rating: 7.5/10

Itssohollywood
Itssohollywood

I love it!!! I have had most aftershaves and this one apart from Fierce Abercrombie I get the most comments from both men and women ask what I'm wearing.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Nothing special.
It feels like this fragrance was created to be woody and spicy, but they felt they could improve on it, which would be where Roadstar and Cartier Concentree came from.

Skorpion
Skorpion

This is my signature. First times that I test it I did not feel good about it, but over time I felt that this is the same lost wanted.
Every time I come out of the shower and I spray it I feel joy and happiness and while the smell reaches my nose to congratulate myself that I discovered.
If you are familiar with the style of Monsieur Jean-Claude Ellena do you want to know that he has designed it.
As long as the smell on my clothes is continuous I sniff it, for most of these features built Ellena is true.
Cartier is my favorite brand and most of them are consistent with my taste.

Matin
Matin

Simply magnificent, a magisterial combination that expands a sensual, comfortable and fresh very well worn out range. I would not get tired of smelling it!!!! The leather is "formidable" and in spite of being for man ... occasionally I like to use it, give myself life.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

woody,spicy,clean scent, it is a good frangance, i like it, but for being a Cartier fragance,that we all know is one of the most elegant and expensive brands in the world, this fragance is not that good if you compare this with Santos,Pasha and Must de Cartier....

jazz444
jazz444

I agree with nattonline's review below. All I get for the first hour is a huge blast of cumin/curry, which smells sweaty and sour. In hour #2 and onward, it gets somewhat softer and a little creamier, but the sweaty note remains unabated. I have to wash it off my skin--it's that potent.

It's too bad, because nearly everyone lauds Declaration, but it is dreadful on me.

t for two
t for two

Love it! It is a male fragrance, but on a woman it is great too! i have it and use it often.

CKS
CKS

I tried it by mistake some years ago, and I didnt payed attention to its name. Since them, I am trying to find it, till a few days ago, when, after I tested almost a whole store, I went to the Cartier zone, when I re-discovered this wonderful fragrance.
On my skin, this melts and changes in a strong, lovely, sweet and warm perfume. I know it is a male fragrance, but I think that on my skin, looses all the masculinity and becomes a sophisticated woman scent.

Chanelle
Chanelle

This is one of the sexiest masculine fragrances I've ever smelled. I do not mind spraying it on myself because it's not so overwhelming.

Sadly, this doesn't work well with me. Declaration has the initial scent of something like peppery curry spices or my sweaty armpits on a really hot day (wearing it in summer doesn't help either!!!) I have to give it more time to develop or get used to it. Eventually, it stays close to skin; becoming pleasantly clean with subtle hint of peppery cedar. If you can wear this without smelling like sweaty armpits, then lucky you. Unfortunately, I am not the lucky one. I will have to pass, but I will definitely give a different edition a try in the future.

Nicole79
Nicole79

I like Declaration very much bcz it is not just like any other scent around. !
This smells unique, fresh, woody, spicy, bittery , very masculine !

Very sophisticated . A hi class fragrance !

andrew85

i would say that this smells incredible, very sofisticaded, not like sweat at all... if you have good taste you will aprecciate this jewel of perfumery.....

Singabera
Singabera

I love it from the first breath!
Very natural, calm, easy to wear everywhere. It's not musculine frag, neither feminine. It's just for people with free soul.
It reminds me dry lemon skin. Also it smells like dry herbs in twilight wood, which soaked the fresh aroma of nearest stream drops)))

unbelieveble perfume, so sexy, sofisticaded, very sensual, i really love this... a must have....

guest_smoggedsea
guest_smoggedsea

This perfume is awesome! Its not harsh and neither is it too gentle! The whole combination makes it difficult to pick out what fragrance it is you are wearing, but you know it smells familiar..
Smog from Nigeria

khalid_shehab
khalid_shehab

I can't resist CD at the same time it makes headache for me because it's heavy top note , but after an hour the woody base note is very good and clean.

Veedabestchef
Veedabestchef

this scent is really sexy scent..calm and warm at the same time..it feels like expensive cologne.kinda powdery at the same time...it has alot of notes on it, which make this scent a wonderful scent..very classy and expensive scent...

carlosdavidz
carlosdavidz

OMG. How I love this perfume, it is so long lasting and the smell is very elegant. One of my favorites.

this smell expensive, sensual, yeah, smell very expensive, if you have good nose and taste you will like this, if not you wont....

tavinver
tavinver

it seems to me that it smells of wood shavings, would not buy it again, astonishes me Cartier usually have fragrances of great quality but this no is one of them, but to my fellow workers were fascinated with it

getcarter
getcarter

Before I became aware of JC Ellena's repute, I was lucky to try a sample of Bigarrade Concentree. Superb. To my nose, a similarly astringent bitter orange note informs his Declaration. A blast of various citrus, spicey (cumin & cardomom etc) middle and woody/light leathery base. Astounding complexity yet it simply smells good. I love the fact it is so pefectly universal: day/night, formal/infomal, hot/cold. A "desert island" top 5 placing.

mal23
mal23

I was skeptical at first sniff, because of the strenght of the birch wood. However, as this scent started to go into the middle and base note it becomes one of the most sensual and classic mens woody fragrances out there. The drydown is superb. The sillage and longevity are average. Overall a 9/10. A must try.

BIG
BIG

i suppose the spices are to blame for the sweetness in here and the sheer touch of woody notes almost shadows the presence of leather, yet soft floral notes interfere and create the perfect balance for the fragrance that delivers its own statement. DECLARATION

Gaubizi
Gaubizi

I read so many comments on what is certainly male or female. But why would anyone in these modern times bother to divide smells like that? This separation was only made to make men feel comfortable wearing perfume without losing their masculinity. And remember also that typically female scents in Western culture, such as rose, are used by men in other cultures (I read somewhere that the rose is the flower of Muhammad in Islamic cultures and worn as perfume by men). So don't be afraid to use them as you please! I am a modern woman and feel female and I am perfectly able to wear Déclaration. And I love it. It is just a very smooth refined scent, not at all overpowering. Although I cannot smell myself as others do (naturally) I think this scent is the kind that leaves you thinking "somehow he or she smelled good but I cannot remember what it was". That is to say, I feel it merges with your own skin scent more than other perfumes that only lie on you like a garment.
I don't agree at all that it smells like lamb couscous or any other dish. It's not a culinary scent. Could it be that this sort of opinion is found especially in the US and the American takeaway culture? ;-) But yes, I admit you have to have a certain preference for "cool" spices such as cumin and cardamom. I can only recommend to just try it and see if it fits your personality. Put that male / female thing aside and experiment.

glitterz664
glitterz664

YOu!!! the best ,,,,that's all i can describe =D
Oh! yeah , unisex also

guest_michael
guest_michael

i can not believe how amazing this smell... incredible sophisticaded, expensive smell. i am atonished, i can not belive its trully elegance and refinement......

one of the best citrus, woody sensual and sofisticade fragrance ever created.. you should have a refined taste and nose to aprecciate this truly masterpiece...... crazy about this magnificent perfume....

Delmont
Delmont

There shoud be a new category of fragrance on this website: woody citrus. I consider that Cartier Declaration would be the pioneer of this new category. Anybody wants to support this proposal?

mado17
mado17

Definitely a winner, subtle, gorgeous, very long lasting. Some people think it is a bit feminine when first applied, however the same people are astonshed how great it is after few minutes.

andrew85

One of the best,and sensual perfumes ever, ever. incredible smell, when you wear this you smell expensive, classic and sensual. i love it. it mixs perfectly dirty and clean smell, sweat. a trully masterpiece from Ellena...

zvoncica
zvoncica

Good news dear fragrantica friends! I feel in love today. The man I love never leaves dirty clothes on floor or watches football, “his” name is Declaration and I fell for him blindly.
Actually, as you guessed by now, I fell for male perfume and now there is no going back.

Declaration is clean and fresh, not in a boring and washed way, more like blue blood classic noble and precious. The thing I like the most is spicy pepper, ginger and artemisia feminized with flower notes. Middle notes are completely feminine. The masculine tone is covered in vetiver, oakmoss and cedar nearly five hours after enjoying Declaration.

I think this is the way how Penelope must have smelled while waiting for Odysseys return to Itaka. She mixed the herbs and plants growing on this Mediterranean island, covered her body with juice light as air and calming as mothers hand to aching child. As the story says she’s been waiting faithfully for him 20 years. While he cheated on her in his journey. A lot.

As we know heart is the master of our mind… I must have Declaration.

guest_justaregular
guest_justaregular

Oh my God! I bought this because of some good reviews and I must say: it is really not made for me. Terrible scent that I want to get rid completelly off my skin as soon as I sprayed. It gave me a bad head ache. I must say you need to try first before make the big botlle purchase.

I like this masculin scent more than many others. I'm not really into men fragrances and I don't choose scents for men of my life, because I think it's very personal. If I bought a fragrance for my father I would surely fail. Yet, some masculin fragrances hit my nose with pungent and harsh notes and it wouldn't be polite to say "Your perfume is killing me"
So when a friend of mine came around wearing Declaration I felt a big relief and I liked it so much I spent 2 hours close to him like a sniffing monkey!
It's very gentle, citrusy and woody. I wouldn't call this an unisex scent, still a man could wear this very easily (but Eau de Cartier is better). It lasts quite long time and it doesn't scream "I'm a man, look at me!" from far away.

lucille
lucille

it reminds me of my dad..a clean, elegant, wise man, very handsome, who loves cooking (that's why some of the kitchen scents remain on his clothes, gray hair, green eyes... a beautiful man and a beautiful perfume

falovalo
falovalo

A deodorized armpit! Really, it smells like men's deodorant after it's been sitting under a sweaty armpit for a while. Not to mention that it's sharp to the nose.

manitrabe
manitrabe

I got a sample of Declaration and liked it so I decided to buy it for my husband. He loves the perfume. It has an unique smell, a kind of citrus notes that we both love to death.

SPOILEDnose

this one is absolutly unique, there`s no other fragrance who comes close...
has recognition value...

tuky
tuky

Very high quality scent ! Sweet, almost feminine, but the base is masculine, smooth and soft. Young at the begining, true masculinity in the end. Long lasting as well. Luxurious, Clasic,...and enjoy it !!

svillatoro
svillatoro

I agree with some of you. You should try declaration essence or bois bleu, then you will be impressed.

vdxl
vdxl

I perceive this one as a modern chypre with floral tones. It is citrus in a really exotic manner, it also contains rose-like notes and the classical patchouli-woods combo which, by the way are not done in the generic macho manner. At first, you may think this is another CK One, Azzaro Chrome( and any other citrus-floral scents), but it has more intense sillage, more character, projection. There are some sweet notes that linger through the development, adding even more refinement. The citrus notes are done in the 90s manner( this was released in 1998), but without becoming old fashioned. I do not consider this one as unisex( maybe in the 90s it could have been considered so), as it is also peppery.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Beautiful masculine opening, but due to the cumin note which is a very powerful element... all I could smell was taco meat. I have a great deal of respect for Cartier, but Declaration is declared my least favorite.

mariotgomez

After reading the Interview w/Jean-Claude Ellena by Michelyn Caman, I have been revisiting my fragrances created by him.

What else can I say that has not already been said about this classic and well developed fragrance.

I have re-purchased it since it introduction to my collection back in 1998. The second time I bought the largest bottle since I enjoy this scent.

It is like revisiting a good friend. One that you have not spoken to for while but able to pick up the conversation just like it was yesterday.

Declaration is like that friend. Each time I wear it, I am able to pick up were I left off (citrus notes) but able to continute to experience something new about the relationship we have.

deonplayground
deonplayground

Clean and classic...but still very young.

albania9diadem
albania9diadem

A wonderful sexy, soft, warm and clean scent. It's a must have!

Zocha
Zocha

Beautiful and sophisticated scent, definitely unisex, on me it's just so elegant, for cool days and lasts like forever.
I like many Jean-Claude Ellena creations, Declaration is one of his bests

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

DECLARATION is a fragrance which combines fullness with nuance. A bouqet of cardamom, cold bursting, an almost metallic spice which illuminates the perfume like a laser. Cedar wood at once nervous and warm which gently adds warmth to the cardamom: a sharp, oriental, woody fragrance. This masculine scent possesses a blend of orange, cedar, birchwood, and oakmoss.

Eros
Eros

This is exact copy or predesessor (Who is original, I guess?) of STDupont pour homme - from the same 1998. - But unlike STDupont it has no: sharp attack and long green tail, so it is less complex. That is why it is less official and can be more attractive for the surrounding women. (If you prefer dating than making money in office).

jareco.07
jareco.07

This fragrance is so exotic, elegant, fine and SEXY. It is like walking into an enchanted forrest full of exotic plants and flowers with an aroma that will warm your heart.

Declaration reminds moe of one of the Abercrombie fragrances, not sure if its Fierce or #41, but it smells alot better and more exotic.

Some notable notes are those of black pepper, and oak or cedar.

I recommend this fragrance to anyone into exotic woody fragrances, and with deep pockets...it was not cheap

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I treated myself to this classic gem of a perfume this Xmas and I love it. I consider "L'Instant de Guerlain" as MY perfume but this one is just as good if not better. It is very luxurious, pungent, glamorous and sexy. Lots of floral notes: jasmine, orange flower; lots of spices and woods; heaps of vanilla and the all-over impression is very wet and juicy, tangey-orangey.
It also lasts a bit longer on my skin than the Guerlain one. I love it for it instantly lifts my moods!!!

piotrek
piotrek

Beatiful fragrance, for elegant men!!!
I love first note, it reminds me walk in forest after rain, when sun's shining, and there is fog from evaporative ground. Than the fragrance become more woody and warm, but all the time it's sensual, mysterious and very sexy.
This scent is like symphonic orchiestra, I don't feel single notes, I feel complete combination of many notes which create one compatible fragrance.
If You like classic scents, You have to try Declaration by Cartier!

dancam86
dancam86

Beautiful! A must have for every classy gentlemen of all ages (and it´s good on women too)

SPOILEDnose

i love deep fragrances, suptil and mysterious, as i said, fantastic fragrance and i MUST HAVE IT, i don`t care if it`s for men (i love a lot of men fragrances to wear, because i love woody smells)

SandraS
SandraS

I also love this scent and will probably buy it and wear it. I think it can be classified as unisex.

SPOILEDnose

Shit - this is for men??? OOPS i had a sample - and i adore it, but i am definitely a woman, wow, i felt sooo great wearing it, and (am i crazy?) i felt i could smell something tender under all that wood... AH - pour homme, i don`t care, MUST HAVE IT!!!!

SPOILEDnose

WHAT A WONDERFUL EXCLUSIVE FRAGRANCE, when i use it i feel clear, proud and like I`am upgradet:) Smells fresh, smoky, reminds me to olibanum in the church and it has the same "clear-making effect" like olibanum. smells expensive and VERY unique, the fragrance is after 20-30 minutes "ready to smell" on the skin, so i guess for many people is this LOVE AT SECOND SIGHT...:) Last so long on skin!!!
For special moments i guess, and its so intense, use only a few shots!!!
Very unique!!

ticalau
ticalau

2 sweet on my skin and i don't like the bottle! :D But i saw it's a powerful fragrance...

soirdelune
soirdelune

Sophisticated. Could be a unisex scent.

mariotgomez

I enjoy fragrances from Cartier. Declaration I wear when in the mood for scent that begins with a citrus notes, some floral undertone and warms up with some woodsy notes. The other two Cartier fragrance I have in my collection are Santos and Pasha.

Sovvva
Sovvva

I love it... so special, so sensual and delicate. It sounds really sexy for me.
Very rare combination - classic perfume with an impressive character! :-) I'd like to feel it on my man...

2007

Cartier Declaration Eau de Toilette
Cartier Declaration Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Cartier Declaration Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Gift Set 3.3oz
Cartier Declaration Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz Tonifying All Over Shampoo 100ml 3.3oz 2pcs
Cartier D claration L'eau 3.3 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
Cartier 'Declaration' Eau de Toilette Essence
Cartier 'Declaration' Eau de Toilette Essence 3.3 oz
Cartier 'Declaration' Eau de Toilette Essence 3.3 oz
NORDSTROM.com
Cartier 'Declaration' Eau de Toilette 6.7 oz.
Cartier 'Declaration' Eau de Toilette 6.7 oz.
Cartier 'Declaration' Eau de Toilette 6.7 oz. 6.7 oz
Cartier 'Declaration' Eau de Toilette 6.7 oz. 6.7 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Cartier Declaration fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Cartier Declaration, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Declaration by Cartier. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Declaration by Cartier represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.