Designers » C » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Declaration Essence Cartier for men

Declaration Essence Cartier for men
dislike

Declaration Essence by Cartier is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for men. Declaration Essence was launched in 2001. The fragrance features orange blossom, sandalwood, amber, lavender, musk, tea, lime, vetiver, geranium and lemon.

Orange Blossom Sandalwood Amber Lavender Musk Tea Lime Vetiver Geranium Lemon

Declaration
Zizonia

Declaration Essence Fragrance Reviews

jotalopez
jotalopez

If you are the type of guy who likes mainstream fragrances this one is not for you. Declaration Essence is way better than the original Declaration. This juice is a tea-cardamom bomb, a blast for your senses. Longevity and projection are beast. I agree with those who say it is similar to Terre d'Hermes, but this one is much more versatile and compliment getter. A real panty dropper!

Wolfgang Mazrin
Wolfgang Mazrin

Its not bad but its not great . This cologne gave me a ho hum feeling. It's probably safe enough to wear at the office. To be honest the smell made me a little nauseous after wearing it all day. A lot of these colognes depend on your body chemistry and this one doesn't seem to work with mine. Luckily, I only got a carded sample.

Marciu
Marciu

This perfume's name could be easily Declaration Sport or Declaration Light, or Declaration Elegance.

The Declaration's DNA obviously is here. Essence is just lighter on spices, mainly on cumin and cardamom. It's also a little more citrusy. But I feel more less such ingredients: cumin, cardamom, tea, bitter orange, some other citrus (bergamot or lime, I guess) and maybe a little bit of geranium in the background.

It's not "in your face" as regular, which makes it more wearable in summer. But it still can't be named as a typical fresh fragrance. It's like a more polite version of Declaration.

I heard that it lasts longer than its predecessor and is a stronger version of Declaration. Well, to me both things are straight opposite.

I can't say I dislike it, but classic is a classic. Maybe I'll decide to buy Declaration Essence one day.

UPDATE: As far as I know, this fragrance, originally created by J. C. Ellena, was reformulated (just like Declaration) by Mathilde Laurent. The version that was reviewed by me is a reformed one.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I'd been putting off reviewing this one because I had such odd memories of it. At first it's a nice, light, spiced wood scent. Very soon, though the wood seems to disappear and is replaced by very sharp, sweet, peppery smoke. And that is why this fragrance is a barbecue, or maybe a campfire. No, not *exactly* in every note, but to me it seems so obvious...standing there by the fire while the mesquite wood burns. That being said, back to the clear liquid in the vial: it's still sweet, sharp and peppery, and feels very incomplete, like a Demeter fragrance. "Backyard Barbecue". I think there's some sandalwood, and probably some believable incense, but I just can't make any association at all beyond Barbecue. If I could take this seriously as a personal fragrance for use in scenting my person, I would first of all debate whether it's too piercing; the sharpness, the direct and harsh sweetness, and the pepper might stab at other people's noses, even though it's not an overall "powerhouse" onslaught. I also don't see it as a room spray, because it's too close to the smell that I want to get off my clothes and hair when I come home after barbecue or a campfire. Plus, the basenotes have an assy BO component which isn't doing anyone any good.

GalInGlasses
GalInGlasses

I am a woman, but I love wearing this fragrance. Then again, I love the naughtiness of blurring gender lines, and I don't really believe that there is such a thing as a male or female fragrance. At first spray, this fragrance definitely has some bite. Very peppery, some of that "BO" note that a lot of people have mentioned. After about ten minutes, though, it settles down to somewhere in between spicy tea and a winter forest. Towards the end of the day, it smells soft and floral with a hint of lime. It lasts me for about a work day, and it's subtle, not overpowering. Beautiful evolution, truly for the days when you have something to elegantly "declare." :)

blueorchid
blueorchid

I purchased this under a unisex advertising...NOT! Unless you like starting your day smelling like a man. Thankfully, this softens to a nice fragrance that is welcoming. It goes on like the original POLO fragrance (dark-green bottle with guy on horse)form the 70s and melds into Lagerfeld from the 80s. It's an okay scent; but, definitely not ultra-feminine.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

When I finished my bottle of Declaration, I replaced it with this version, and I love it! Rich, deep and spicy with a gorgeous musty bitter orange note and all the underlying attributes of the original. The velvety sensual sexy smoothness of this version is to die for... What a Stunner! Lasts a long time on my skin and garners great compliments from the ladies. Class, sophistication and raw sex appeal in a bottle. Beautiful...

Senzadite
Senzadite

I want to try this!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This smells nice but is lacking when compared to the original Declaration. It's darker and seems to be missing a lot of what made the original great. The longevity only seems to last for three hours or so where I would get all day with the original though the projection seems to be the same at just below average.

This fragrance feels like the B version of Declaration where everything is not as streamlined or satisfying.

konami125
konami125

In short.....smells like sexy man sweat.

rajeev
rajeev

this wud easily be one of my best blind buys. it's a complex beauty. initial blast of tea, geranium n amber. which stays for a long long time. getting all the attention a fragrance possibly can. just love the dry down.. still as rich n spicy n exotic.
in a hot country like india, it easily lasts for 10+ hours.
never letting u forget what u wearing for the day, can imagine what it'd be doing to others.
verdict? get this underrated piece of art.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

It smells like really cheap geranium "oil" that you would find at a hippy incense shop. It even has that cheap, fleeting after-smell that those types of perfume oils tend to have.

Definitely go for the original Declaration.

kinetisphere
kinetisphere

i have been looking for a great and pleasant sandal wood fragrance and i think i have just found it.. something that isn't TdH's cedar scent!! it has quite a captivating woody spiced freshness about itself. i know people are going to compare the two so let me just put it out there it's not as obnoxious as TdH to my nose.
it has a great quality and long lasting freshness the ebb's and flows between a woody smell and fresh/spicey. very strange yet captivating. if i had the chance and would have tried this first TdH would not be in my cabinet. however as a collector i will have to add this to my collection soon. sooo if you are looking for a subtle yet refreshing woody type scent i suggest you try this one. after spending a half hour with the cartier rep i understand the perfumers objective. i think mathilde laurent hit spot on with this one. this fragrance gets a big thumbs up from me. 8 out of 10.
all around good fragrance and good sillage and longevity

* side note if you have a moment read up on Les Heures de Parfum.. or try and find a place to sample it.. there are only 13 stores that carry the 13 hours line... as for ordering one of the 13 scents i'm sure you can from a certified online vendor.

puremalt
puremalt

well if you guys love it so much , i would gladly trade it for another bottle on your choice. Just PM me !

Bbjr
Bbjr

I think this I a bit better then the original. Yes, it's stronger and the BO note is about the same but the dry down is fantastic. I don't see this as citrusy at all, this is a spicy masculine scent for all seasons. Great stuff

katemcq
katemcq

It smells like you showered at a hotel (and used hotel bar soap) then hung out by a campfire. There's quite a bit of "smoky" and some indistinct spices in this, but not much to counterbalance. I can't detect citrus, though there is some kind of sweet fruit smell. I don't think the sweet and the smoke work well together.

NoiBoi
NoiBoi

Vetiver and lemongrass is what I get from this. Very green. Perfect for spring and summer.

juiceboxking
juiceboxking

This smells like scotch and curry. not my thing at all lol.

Jwaks
Jwaks

A deeper, more masculine Declaration; refreshing lime, woody vetiver and green tea create a very pleasing opening. As the lime aroma fades, the green tea aroma gains strength and smokey, earthy vetiver notes with hints of black tea emerge giving this a distinct masculine edge. Vetiver and tea dominate well into the drydown. Imagine Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee with tea notes and darker, drier and smokier vetiver and you're pretty close to this cologne. Declaration's signature BO is hardly noticeable next to the potent tea and vetiver notes. This is a worthy addition to the declaration line-up. A must try for declaration lovers and Cartier fans looking for a darker, mature and more masculine slant on the original Declaration.

Score 6/10

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

My nose read this flanker as spicy. For me it's mainly vetiver and tea. Perhaps more tea than vetiver. It's a very nice scent; I like it. This is the third Declaration I've tried and I like them all - good work from Cartier. I guess I need to try the cologne variation.

I do not get any animalic or citrus notes in this at all - or perhaps I didn't really pay attention when I sprayed it on.

(Update: I sprayed more on later in the day - I got them then. The animalic/BO notes weren't offensive at all, just unusual. It made this particular flanker more interesting.)

Why is the bottle a blue fade? It should be a tan fade, I think.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

This is basically a deeper and darker version of the original Declaration.

Many of the sharp top notes have been removed, and the green notes, like tea play the main role here, along with the lime and cardamom. Essence smells like Declaration's drydown (which is wonderful), and this from the opening.

For those who dislike Declaration's BO note that I love, don't try Essence. To my nose that note is even more present in this flanker.

That apart, Essence has kept the classiness of its father declaration, which I tend to prefer.

Longevity and sillage are medium / high. Love it.

EDIT : reformulated as well, along the original Declaration. Loss of character and longevity.

Anatolian_Swarthy
Anatolian_Swarthy

it's like cartier declaration,but more light and not long lasting.its scent is really weak,dont buy it

too young
too young

great quality: you can even see a little bit oily structure of liquid on the walls of the bottle after shaking it!!! have never seen nothing like this in ordinary edts before!!!

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A sophisticated, rich and night time frag, which is mid-mature, thoughtful and linear..

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0 - 1 hours -1 foot projection. This is a warm tea aroma with a small shot of lime peaking through. It's class, green and grey in feel and night time. It feels like it has been educated and smells like other Cartier frags. Ages 33- 44. Really good

1 hours - 3 hours - 4 inch projection

3 - 5 hours - 2 inch projection. Musky tea like aroma now but still has the hallmarks of the start, so it's fair to say IMHO that this is linear

5 - 7 hours. Close to skin

It is a shame that the initial strength dies quite quickly. Could be worn with black tucks to a classy prom

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

I like this cologne a lot. A green/blue'ish borderline aquatic with enough earthiness to it to distance itself from the other's.

This fragrance is so unique that I can't think of anything else that smells similar. A must try for those interested in "something different".

Excellent sillage but maybe just above average longevity.

There has been mention of a "ball sweat" note in it. Yes I get what people are saying but please try to avoid it. This scent is worth more than that.

I wouldn't buy it for myself but I would definitely use some if it was given to me as a gift.

This would be great to wear while yachting ! It's got that white pants loafers striped sweater and sun burn feel to it.

This is your captain speaking......

juancar_66
juancar_66

Not better than original fragance Déclaration pour homme EDT. because not have the open notes and smell like the base notes. In the original it´s posible to smell all the piramid notes with its variations, not here. I prefer Déclaration EDT. than the Essence.

fuggerone
fuggerone

better than simple version...dusky and sexy!

neo009
neo009

This is similar to declaration but stronger in scent,
if u like declaration u would like this as well,
I do like this a bit more more than declaration , coz it is stronger , I give the scent 7.8/10

mastelmo
mastelmo

Case you do more than one little splash per body region you might be sued for privacy threatening. 8/10

khonehsabz
khonehsabz

سلام رایحه زیبایی دارد مناسب برای تابستان و پاییز . ماندگاری نسبتا خوبی دارد. من فکر میکنم برای خانمها هم مناسب است

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Smoky bitter orange over slick papery musk and florals: sensual and bombastic, though never overbearing. There is no need to over-apply this or apply even more heavily than a misting or two. Or three. It is intoxicating - so beautifully engineered that it will tingle noses for hours and hours to come - without gagging you. Sweaty cumin if over-applied.

Swahili

الفوحان8/10

والتجربة خير برهان

fhranzis067
fhranzis067

sophisticated, classy formal scent, i love it, i put it on this morning, but after 2-3 hours, i can barely notice the scent, i dunno but i'll try again, its kinda perfume for a moody type of guy. The 1st time i wore this i felt this is an excellent, perfect with its elegant scent but i dunno why it took me 2 months before i decided to put it on again, today is my 2nd time, not sure when will be the 3rd time.

Overall:
Scent - 5/5
Longevity - 2/5
Projection - 3/5
Sillage - 2/5

evilspin

Update: Wore this at a lounge/dinner event and every woman kept telling me I smell good. Of course being alcohol at the event, women started getting a bit loose as well and kept smelling my neck and hugging me especially one who kept flocking to me and smiling and saying I am her ideal man. I dont mind but a bit awkward as most had dates or husbands. In any case this is a MUST have fragrance for real men. Not teens or boys as girls their age just dont get it and dont have mature noses. This is pheromones in a bottle guys just like Terre D'Hermes!

evilspin

Amazing! Seems like it gives the wrong impression to first timers. But Its such a manly fragrance. Very woody, spicy and smokey. Its a bit up there and like Terre D'Hermes with something I cant think of right now. Much better then the original as its more noticeable and has a little extra and lasts longer.

jcastano
jcastano

Though I probably would choose the original Declaration over this if I had to pick one, this one is just a more intense version. If you thought the BO opening to it's original counterpart was harsh, this one will punch your lights out! BO times 10 if you ask me! Yuck! The drydown is very citrusy and spicy and although I somewhat enjoy it, it can easily get cloying and in my honest opinion, the opening is not worth it even if the drydown is enjoyable. Once again, you disappointed me with this one Ellena.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

This fragrance is really elegant. Declaration Essence is a fragrance for fussy classy gentlemen. Both the regular version and the essence version are original and unique fragrances.

Anaa
Anaa

Even this is a very heavily and mannish perfume that I cannot wear just for a few occasions and it not fits me it's something in it that i like,it makes me feel powerful,confident and happy.This remember me of the last Christmas.And for me this is definitely the mix of Christmas's flavours.

ChristyS
ChristyS

When I smelled this, I was very sure that it has cardamon as other reviewers as well. And altough it isn´t listed I still think it smells like it, at least in the beginning when it is very spicy. Declaration Essence has also some kind of freshness, but the citric notes are not dominating at all. For me it is a special fragrance an I really like it. I can´t imagine it for very hot summer days, but for late summer and autumn I am sure it would fit perfectly. Give it a try, it´s really good and different imo :)!

Declaration Essence fits perfectly the idea I have about a pretentious and high-sounding mass market designer's fragrance. This is not Declaration Essence by Cartier, it's more DECLARATION ESSENCE BY CARTIER (say it with a snobbish parisienne french accent). Don't get me wrong, this is a nice scent but it has the aim to be sophisticated and it's not.

The opening: appealing and interesting. Spicy!
The Drydown: a potentially amazing perfume layered with a cheap citrus aftershave.

LucioAlfaro

Que de cierto que la duración del aroma en pos perfumes fraceses envasados en Estados Unidos es mas corto, segun que porque el alcohol usado es de caña, en lugar que el directo de Fracia que es de Betabel (Remolacha) que por contener un poco de aceite.

Es cierto? Cual es su opinion

LucioAlfaro

He probado varios perfumes, este...no se en que consista pero cuando lo uso...se abren las puertas en forma que parece magia

sawyer82

I've tested once more in summer (Spain, nearly to the beach) and I've changed my opinion from my last review (see below). The cardamom note is less noticeable in hot weather leaving the protagonism to the bitter orange note. I still don't like the top notes, but after half hour... Yes!! That was I've expected of this fragrance. Thanks, summer.

svillatoro

This fragrance is a little sweet but not "sweat" One of the best combination of citrus, lavender-amber-musk, and vetiver I have ever smelled.

Scorpio_Guy
Scorpio_Guy

This is a spicy-aromatic scent in my opinion, I don't understand why Fragrantica says that it belongs to the group of citrus fragrances because I don't get those citrus notes, neither on the paper nor on my skin.

Generally, Cartier "Declaration Essence" is rather a stronger fragrance than a soft fragrance and I suggest to use it during summer and fall rather than during winter and spring. In summer this one might turn out to be the perfect fragrance for hot days and vacations. Smelling this fragrance I have to think of a wealthy and sophisticated type of man who's wearing a polo-shirt and reading a book while sitting in the shadow on a hot summer day.

I do get the tea, vetiver and geranium ingredients in the top with a soft orange blossom in the base. Although they officially say there is no cinnamon in it I get the feeling there must be cinnamon in it.
My advice would be not to spray too much of it on your skin since this - especially in hot weather - might give you headaches.

However, this fragrance was a surprise to me because I always thought that only the original fragrances were good and worth buying. This was a present for me by my parents and I love it now!

mal23
mal23

I do not like the opening of this fragrance. I do not like the lavender, flower, musky mix of notes which makes this kind of synthetic and gives me a headache after an hour. The It is to smoky and earthy during the middle notes, which makes me gag. The spices mixed in with the other notes make this forgetable. Overall a 5/10.

sawyer82

This is much better than the original, but I detect the same cardamom note (not listed) that ruins the top & middle notes (imo). Great smell passed 2 hours. Maybe unisex.

guest_Melissa
guest_Melissa

It is great.
I think it can be considered as being unisex too. I like sweet perfumes and oriental ones, but I wear this sometimes. I love it.

svillatoro

This is really one of the best I have tried, elegant, sophisticated, long lasting, manly... what else can I say..

Perfect!!!!!

ZeeK
ZeeK

The initial blast reminds me of Terre d’ Hermes & Ferragamo, F. It is smoky & earthy as both of them and I do feel an intense citric aroma with peppery affects as well that goes to a perfect woody dry-down.

For me it’s a formal wear in office and informal wear (casual & romantic) otherwise. No complaints for lasting and sillage.

It can be flagged as a “classic” fragrance and it is highly recommended from my side.

PS. I have tested Cartier, Declaration Essence - 2001 & Kenzo, Jungle Pour Homme (zebra) – 1998 in a single instance and I am quite sure that they are fairly similar but with my senses and in my opinion Cartier is a winner as for fragrance composition, lasting & sillage.

kurisu
kurisu

Someone say that this one would categorized as unisex so, I give it a try...then, I can't agree with him.
I think it's masculine.Very complicate scent and interesting. But I can't stand some spice note in it,maybe a cardamon? I'm not sure.I'm really want to love this one.But it's isn't my cup of tea.T^T

Revise...I tried it again but just a little spray on my arm...after one hour I found that the drydown isn't that bad..it's become more wearable for me ,I'll remember...next time just little spray.

Declaration Essence by Cartier 4.10 out of 5 based on 226 ratings and 51 user reviews

FragranceShop.com
Declaration Essence by Cartier TESTER for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3 oz
Declaration Essence by Cartier TESTER for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3 oz
DECLARATION ESSENCE for MEN by Cartier EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ UNBOXED
DECLARATION ESSENCE for MEN by Cartier EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ UNBOXED
Declaration Essence Cologne by Cartier, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Men
FragranceShop.com
Declaration Essence Cologne by Cartier, 6.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Declaration Essence Cologne by Cartier, 6.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Declaration Essence Cologne by Cartier - 6.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Declaration Essence Cologne by Cartier - 6.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Cartier Declaration Essence fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Cartier Declaration Essence, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Declaration Essence by Cartier. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Declaration Essence by Cartier represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.