Designers » C » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois Cartier for women and men
dislike

oud
ozonic
Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois Cartier for women and men Pictures Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois Cartier for women and men Pictures

Eau de Cartier from 2001 has received a successor launched under the name Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois. The main theme of the new unisex perfume is woody structure with accentuated agar (oud) surrounded with fresh, citrusy and aromatic notes. This fresh, woody composition provides a modern and wearable combination with a scent of freshness, beneficial herbal aromas, and sensual musk shade, along with an oriental twist on ambergris, patchouli and oud.

Top notes of Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois will refresh you with a citrusy union of yuzu and bergamot, adding violet leaves to create a finer and more elegant experience. A heart provides an aromatic-velvety blend of lavender and violet leaves, on an elegant and skillfully combined base of oud, patchouli, musk and ambergris.

The fragrance is available in a glass, cylindrical bottle with a discrete brownish shade depicting the woody character of this edition. The fragrance can be obtained as 100ml EDT. Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois was launched in 2012.

Bergamot Yuzu Violet Leaf

Lavender Violet

Patchouli Agarwood (Oud) Ambergris Musk

Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois Fragrance Reviews

Rie60
Rie60

I love love love this- my new favorite- but I smell cedar instead of oud

plutodagirl
plutodagirl

This has been my go-to perfume all this summer. Although it leans more on the masculine side, I do not give a hoot. This juice smells so darn good. Very refreshing on hot days. I get the oud upon first spray, and it reminds me of the oud in Tom Ford's Oud Wood a bit, but not as harsh. Then the violets come in to play, along with the citrus notes. The drydown smells clean, like you just freshly showered with your man's body wash. I love that! The downside is that it has no lasting power. 3 hours tops on me, it seems I'm always re-spraying come lunch time, because it's non-existent. All in all, it's a happy scent for me, that I'll continue to wear this summer. Would I purchase again? Probably, because it's that damn good.

sharmap14
sharmap14

its a very good fragrance but i wish it lasted longer... its a summer edt so it fades away quick

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois opens with sparkling yuzu and bergamot, pencil shaving-like dry woody elements and green violet leaf. Although I voted the woody notes as oud, I agree with previous reviewers that the wood here reminds me more of cedar. The dry woody note, and the green and citrus elements juxtaposed side by side, creates the image of a piece of wood emerging from quiet clear water. The scent is transparent and refreshing, yet nothing ozonic or aquatic. Later, sweet violet looms out and blends the two opposites. The fragrance becomes a sweet incense scent with a green citrus nuance, calm and zen till the end.

The sillage is soft and the longevity is at least 8 hours on me. Essence de Bois manages to first present two different aspects seperately to intrigue, then blend them together seamlessly. I'm also fond of its serene nature, understated yet stands firmly on its own. I'd recommend it to those who are looking for a clear woody scent, or a refreshing fragrance in general.

It is very herbal & orient spicy, quite strange connection, and it smells on me really manly. Maybe it smells better on a man than on a woman. Heart note is so much aromatic that it kills me:)

benpaul12
benpaul12

Nice opening...that lasts for 20 seconds. It then fades to a sweet powder like smell that just does not go the distance at all.

This is the second Cartier fragrance I've tried and the second time I've been let down.

sagranha
sagranha

sharp classic fresh spicy sweet unique nice modern

jotalopez
jotalopez

Though I'm not into unisex fragrances I must admit this one is a wonderful creation! IMO this scent is more targeted at guys rather than the ladies. Its woody, spicy, ambered notes are awesome, I also notice a hint of vanilla and tobacco (or should I say oud?) plus a trace of anise, a perfect combo to wear either on warm or cool nights. As much as I tried, I cannot smell those citrus notes mentioned by Cartier's staff. All in all, Cartier noses continue to create unique fragrances!

akheperure
akheperure

I absolutely love it!
I got a sample flask, but will be getting a proper bottle.

It is a delightful woody fragrance sweetened with the scent of violets.
Though I wish the perfume would last longer, it still very nice. I can't stop sniffing my skin to get more of it.

The original Cartier's Eau de Toilette, is a more unisex fragrance and fresher feeling than this one. I like it too, but not as much. I'd say they are quite different scents actually.

The Essence de Bois is more dreamy, the woody notes make it a bit more masculine while the violets make it more sensual. A great combination for me.

JazzBirdSinger
JazzBirdSinger

glad to see i'm in agreement with other reviews...more masculine than fem, but yes, decidedly unisex.
i thought i was smelling grapefruit at first, realize now its the yuzu.
its sharp, and harsh at first. almost made me back away.
settled very quick though, calmed down and the violet leaf peaks out.
musk is tame for me.
and the oud?? where is it?
all in all, a clean, discrete classy fume that is citrus and musk.
i think my brother will be getting this soon
as i prefer something a little more sweet and fem.
edit: i have found the oud! its at the lovely *drydown*

pbluberry
pbluberry

It's a little more masculine than feminine but it's a little sweet almost like a muted sweet tart on the opening. For some reason I smell tea, making it a fresh scent. I don't get spicy at all, but a tade musky. I don't know what oud smells like but it smells good to me.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

This is masculine.....between this and Eau de Cartier concentrate, I'll choose the latter This one disappears, disappoints and has nothing appealling.

So Cartier has now gotten into the oud game with its latest EAU DE CARTIER flanker, ESSENCE DE BOIS. Having sniffed their approach for the other flankers, involving lots of violet leaf buttressed by...more violet leaf (in the CONCENTREE) or orange (in the ESSENCE D'ORANGE), I was expecting a dusting of wood on top of a vast field of violet leaf.

To my surprise, ESSENCE DE BOIS features more oud than violet leaf, and there are several other contributing notes which together conspire to make this much more than just another EAU DE CARTIER flanker. They really toned down the violet leaf, actually, making the bois elements more dominant, so that I'd call this an independent fragrance from its namesake.

The other reason for regarding ESSENCE DE BOIS as a fragrance in its own right is that it strikes me as heavier than its predecessors: more of a perfume than a cologne. So I agree with those who find this iteration less refreshing, but I myself do not have a problem with the musk in this composition. To me, ESSENCE DE BOIS smells like a pretty decent woody oriental perfume, completely and utterly unisex. Yes, I do believe that the oud is the tame, Westernized version, intended for neophytes, which I am, so to me it smells good! (-;

witch_mum
witch_mum

For my nose it's more masculine than female although I like tend more to wear this kind of fragrances rather than very floral-females ones. (It is probably the lavender, we aren't very good friends in perfumes.)

GabrielG
GabrielG

Opens nice but .... does not last even 1 hour on my skin, dries to a smokey faint scent just does not worth the money.

shame on you guys

byarrin
byarrin

A woman finds a handful of perfumes in her lifetime that blends perfectly with her skin, her personality, and her appearance. This fragrance is one of those for me. I have loved the oud note since I can remember (my first fragrance purchase was Paloma Picasso - which I haven't revisited in a long time). I adore the woodiness of this, and to me, it is also a bit smoky, or at the very least, blends well with smoke. I fell in love with it the minute I put it on, and my fella felt the same way.

That said, I am disappointed with the longevity. It's perfect and beautiful for about 4 hrs, then *poof*, it's as though I never put it on. Not such a big deal, as I could spray this on again at work (I got the cutest miniature bottle when I purchased) and not offend or overpower anyone in the office.

The latter statement came as a shock to me, as I own Basier de Dragon - a little goes a long way and for a long time.

All in all, I absolutely love it. I think I'll buy a lotion to improve longevity.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I absolutely love the original Eau de Cartier, and I have tried all the flankers, including this new version. The notes seemed interesting, and indeed it was a nice, warm woody scent throughout the opening and the development. There was a bit of a bitterness that I noted. It was nice, but that is all I can say about it really.

Endymion
Endymion

Ok, this is very nice powdery aromatic fragrance, it fills your nose delightfully, but... this is not unisex!
It's a feminine fragrance. Similar to Bulgari's BLV but more feminine.
For me it's not citrusy at all, my favourite is still the concentrace version. However I still recommend it because it's very nice, a feminine aromatic ;)

Oh no! Scentrist. I am sorry it did not turn out so well for you (>_<)!

I have a different experience and mine is quite delightful. In my opinion, this is a fresh take on oud wood. It smells like Eau de Cartier and then replace the patchouli and cedar with oud wood. Essence de Bois is a little dry and the oud here still gives me the impression of cedar. It's definitely much more woody but everything else is still the same like the rest of this Essence series which means it's still light, citrusy cool, and musky clean. One sad part, it lasts just under 4 hours on me.

The Essence de Bois may be unisex but I'd say it gears toward men because of its dry woody base. People may find it a bit on the boring side, but I love it. I enjoy a swift of this throughout a day. It's my kind of oud that I'd wear all year round without feeling too heavy.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Refreshing? Really? Umm....no.

On paper, this has all the right characteristics to suggest a fresh, light, clean fragrance. Move it to my skin, and the story is much different. I did check, and this was a freshly opened bottle, so I cannot say it was rancid from a reaction. Once it applied, it began a sour and somewhat acrid smell that felt animalic. In a word: sweat.

The opening on me became the odor of perspiration, which was disappointing. As it unfolded, it only became worse and and more acrid. Intolerable. And there it remained. Could I say it was "fresh"? Beneath the post-workout aroma, it may be there but too subtle for notice. I tolerated it as long as possible thinking that it may dissipate, but no such luck.

This was totally disappointing for me, not an EDT I'd recommend at all.

Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier 3.88 out of 5 based on 125 ratings and 20 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Cartier Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Cartier Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.